Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase live in Philadelphia after the Dodgers defeat the Phillies by a final score of three to one.
Speaker 3: We have phone lines.
Speaker 2: Open at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. The Dodgers bounced back with a win, their ninth of the year, after losing their first game of the season last night, and they kind of beat themselves with some poor base running and some poor mental errors yesterday as well defensively, so a really good way to come back against a really good pitcher in Aaron Nola, as the Dodgers hid two home runs off of Nola, who has been susceptible over the course of his career to the home runs, and Keike Hernandez, who will hear from later in the show, hit a two run home run in the second inning. And then Michael Conforto, who like I mentioned during the Clubhouse, shows really well in this ballpark with an OPS of over five point fifty and ops or excuse me, a slugging percentage of over five point fifty and now an OPS of over nine hundred with sixteen home runs. He homered Offanola in the sixth inning, But really the story was today, big picture Roki Sazaki. What's the direction in the near future of Roki Sazaki? What was at stake for Roki Sazaki today? Well, I kind of feel that if he would have thrown a lot of pitches and been out of this game by the second inning, the Dodgers would have been faced with a real decision on whether or not to skip his start for a couple of turns and call up either Bobby Miller, whose birthday is today, or Landon Knack. That really would have been staring them in the face. But thankfully Roki Sazaki held his own He which much better than he did in his previous two starts, and he went four plus innings, got into the fifth inning, but allowed the first two hitters of that inning to get on base. A walk to Real Mudo and then a base hit by Bryson Stott put runners at first and second, and with a couple of left handers and Harper looming, Dave Roberts went to Anthony Bunda in the fifth inning, and thanks to Bryson Stutt's bad base running, ta Oscar Hernandez was able to catch and throw out Bryson Stott at first base on a double play on a fly ball from Kyle Schwarber. And really that was a momentum change. So that was a big inning for Banda. That was a big inning for Sazaki, who only walked two batters. And I will say this, Will Smith is an all star catcher, and he's a solid catcher, but his value is his offense. It's his throwing arm. Austin barnes Is strength is his receiving skills. We all know that the pitcher catcher relationship and today don't discount the fact that Dodgers decided Austin Barnes was going to have to catch one of these next two games because they really don't want to overwork Will Smith because we've known the last couple of years there's been a dramatic drop off offensively from Will Smith from the first half of seasons to the second half of the season. So the Dodgers are well aware of that and really don't want to overwork Will Smith. So either Barnes was going to catch Glass now tomorrow or he was going to catch Sazaki today. Sazaki needed Barnes more than Tyler Glassnew needed Barnes tomorrow, and I believe you saw the fruits of all that. A great decision by the Dodgers to have Barnes, who's really good at getting the low strikes and Sazaki has that split fingered fast I love the way that Barnes was able to receive him today, keep him calm and also get some strikes for him and not steal strikes, but present the strikes down at the bottom of the strike zone and also go to his split fingered.
Speaker 3: Fastball with two strikes after he got ahead.
Speaker 2: So would I would strongly say Austin Barnes or here it is. I'll just say a point blank without trying to be mister PC, I would have Austin Barnes catch Sayzaki another start and see how that goes because it works so well today. Sorry, that's just the reality of it. And here is Austin Barnes who spoke to the media just moments ago in the clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he'll be fine.
Speaker 4: You know, I think he's like today, he had his feet wet for the first two starts. I think it's a little bit more comfortable, you know, maybe away from you know, La, you know, all the what comes with that, you know, But he thought he was going his fastball well, and I think that changed from you know, the other audience.
Speaker 1: Robers said that just you've been catching his bullpens and the Relationshippy to our a building. In his last bullpen, was there something that you saw that stood out to about him that kind of led to this outing today?
Speaker 3: I think he was just more convicted of his fastball.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I think in his bullpens he was working on was grigging in ahead with the heater. You know, he's got a good fastball, it's you know, it's upper nineties, it's got life on it. And uh then he gets to that you know, splitter, and you know his slider.
Speaker 3: Is good too.
Speaker 4: He's mixing some of those pitches in the slider and I think he's got three good weapons. So you know, when he's ahead, he's you know, he's tough on hitter, especially when they have to respect that splitty. How important was that it's always important to get ahead of your fastball?
Speaker 3: Like, how important extra important were that for him?
Speaker 6: Said?
Speaker 2: I had just to build confidence and sort of set up the splitter more so that they could couldn't just spit.
Speaker 5: On it like they could early in the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And I think, you know, some of those hitters still we're spinning on the on the splitter, you know.
Speaker 7: So and U.
Speaker 5: But he did some good fastballs.
Speaker 4: You know, he he drilled something at the bottom of his zone right through me. You know, I think I think that's where he needs to be, you know, just paying with the fastball and get head putting pressure on those hits and making them respect that splitty because it's one of the you know, it's it's a crazy bitch. So and there's times where he was, you know, mixing the slider slider into and I thought that was a pretty good weapon too. So now a good start fro him, I think, you know, later on, I think he'll probably finish that himself. But you know, it was good down here.
Speaker 1: Was there a point, like early in the game where you could kind of tell that he was on today in a little more mechanically like where.
Speaker 5: He wanted to be.
Speaker 4: I just thought he was in a good headspace. And before we went out there, he said, told me let's go, and I like to you know, it was good to see, like just going out there and competing. I felt like he was in a good spot and he did it. You know, I think he went out there and they're a tough lineup. You know, they got a lot of good hitters, and I felt like he went out there and he competed.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Austin Barnes, Dodger catcher who really helped Broki Sazaki today get into the fifth inning. Sazaki came out after throwing about sixty He threw sixty.
Speaker 3: Eight pitches today.
Speaker 2: Forty one of those were strikes, four plus innings, one ear and run, and more importantly, only two walks. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Jose Moto will join us in ten minutes. And also you'll hear part of my conversation with Keith Hernandez, who hit a two run home run today in the second inning. But before we get to all that, where are my Max Mounsey haters tonight?
Speaker 3: Where are they? I don't know where this came from.
Speaker 2: Where everybody now all of a sudden wants to hate on Max Mounsey. We're only ten games into the season, and yes, he had a rough night at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday, and yes he's off to a little bit of a slow start offensively, But really, are we just going to disregard everything Max Mounsey has done since the beginning of twenty eighteen. Are we just going to disregard that he has put in a lot of work to be a better defensive third baseman. He's lost a lot away coming into spring training, he's kept it off and yeah, the ninth inning, that was another tough play that he wasn't able to make on a ball hit by Bryce Harper, and the Dodgers were very fortunate that the Phillies cooperated after the air by Monsey boomed. Kepler and Castillanos saw a total of three pitches after the air by by Monthsey, and actually they didn't give Munsey an.
Speaker 3: Air, they gave Harper a hit.
Speaker 2: But I like that Mony Monsey's body language was much better than what we saw Wednesday night in Philadelphia. Monsey today three for four with a double. I just think everybody needs to just, you know, take it easy on Max Mounsey. Uh, let's let the season breathe a little bit. And if this is if he's hitting two hundred and a little unsteady at third base after fifty games, then okay, we can have a conversation, but really, after the first ten games, we're gonna start hating on Max Monsey.
Speaker 3: Where are you now? Where are you now?
Speaker 2: Eight six, six, nine, eight seven seventy? Dodgers beat the Phillies today three to one. Let's go out to Luke, who was actually here at the ballpark.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Luke?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 8: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: David?
Speaker 2: Are you from Jersey like our caller from yesterday, or are you a Dodger fan living in the heart of Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: I'm a Dodger fan living in the heart of Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it. I love it. So are you coming back tomorrow?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, not just for today.
Speaker 8: But it was good to see it win.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was. And I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you wear your Dodger blue LA cap around town. What's the reaction from Phillies fans with the Dodgers being the so called evil empire these days?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously you're gonna get hated on just because you're winning.
Speaker 6: Everyone hates when you win. But just keep your head high and let all the haters hate.
Speaker 2: That's such a cliche answer, Luke. Just come on, be honest with me. When you're walking in Rittenhouse Square, or if you're by the Rocky Steps, or you're getting a Philly cheese steak at Pat's or Geno's or wherever the local spot is. What's the reaction. Do they start hollering at you, cussing at you? What's the reaction?
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm being honest, like they chirp at me a little bit, but I mean I just take it like a champ because I know that we're the best team in the MLB.
Speaker 8: Like I don't know what else you want me to say.
Speaker 3: All Right, Luke, all right.
Speaker 2: I like it you You take it like a champ because the Dodgers are champs. That's why eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Gotta give love, We gotta do a bullpen roll call Today, after Roki Sazaki got into the fifth inning, Anthony Banda came in and.
Speaker 3: Put out the fire. He gets the win.
Speaker 2: Ben Casparius still has not allowed an earn run all season long. He pitched two scoreless innings. Alex Vesia set up Tanner Scott's third save after pitching a scoreless eighth inning, and he came up with a big out in the eighth inning after getting the first two outs the eight to nine hitters Stott and Marsh, he did walk Kyle Schwarber, and at that point in time, it's a two run ball game. So when you walk somebody, especially at the top of the order, you're taking a chance. Because Trey Turner can pop one out. He could pull one down the line, down the left field line like Keik Hernandez did, so he was representing the tying run. He was able to strike out Turner because not only could Turner tie the game up, he could get on base and Bryce Harper could come up representing the go ahead run right there in the bottom of the eighth inning. So that was a big out for Vesia not to see Harper with runners on base. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head back downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 7: He settling nicely. I thought there was a lot more consistent Shrike throwing with both both of his pitches. Got a lot of a miss some soft contact managed at first inning and recovered nicely.
Speaker 1: Did you see that just his demeanor change or just kind of even maybe just the control he had kind of came back to him.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 7: I thought that as the game went on, he continued to gain confidence and just kept his composure, his poise, and just kept executing pitchures. I thought Austin did a great job with him today.
Speaker 9: How much do you think he needed to have that kind of run out and he needed it.
Speaker 8: He needed it.
Speaker 7: He probably won't let on how much he needed it, but you know, to get a major league start, and given how the how the first couple went to have some success and leave the game with the lead, I think that was certainly a big positive form and also just you know, building block for him, you know for his next outing.
Speaker 6: How much he got in your mind taking him out at.
Speaker 3: That point, that was some of it.
Speaker 7: I thought that, you know, even up to that point he pitched a really good ballgame. He hadn't gone the third inning, let alone the fourth inning of the fifth inning up to this point, and so just knowing we had some help behind him, I thought that was a good spot for Banda And I thought Roki did everything he could and needed to do at that point in time and just kind of leaving the outing wanting for more. I think that's a good thing for him.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts on Roki Sazaki, and yes he didn't complete five innings, but it was much better than his last start where he couldn't even get out of the second inning. So with Tyler glassnew on the mound tomorrow, you would expect Glass now to be able to give the Dodgers at least six innings and take some burden off that bullpen that was used quite a bit today. Bonda, Caspirius, Vesia and Tanner Scott had to cover basically five innings of work today after Sazaki could not get an out in the fifth inning. But the Dodgers go on to beat Philadelphia three to one in the middle game of this three game series. Let's go out to Brea Mark. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Philly. How you doing, Mark?
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm doing well.
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 5: Got a couple of comments here? I loved how you were defending Munsi. I think people overlook the fact that this guy draws out the pitchers a big part of Dodger plan. Right, takes a lot of pitches, got a great eye at the plate and gets that big clutch in so I love the some Max Bunci, but I did wonder like Chris Taylor. I mean, they just picked up this kid, Ruiz. He's speedy, he's got flexibility on defense. The contract is big, but not that big. I'm wondering if they're thinking about maybe kind of get rid of Taylor, moving on from him because he absolutely cannot hit well.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor is the twenty sixth man on the bench, right, and I know who you're talking about, Ostereo Ruiz, who stole sixty plus spaces a couple of years ago for the A's and he's been added to the forty man roster. But look, he's a center field depth for the Dodgers in the minor leagues. If they call up Kim and that's the guy that you know, Kim and Pop, excuse me, Taylor and Paz should be concerned about because from what I've been told, his new swing is really starting to take hold, and he's playing great defense at second, at short, in center fields. So you know, if that continues and Paz continues to struggle, he may be in jeopardy of being sent down to get his season on track. Chris Taylor, I don't see him going anywhere, Mark, I really don't. He's on this team for right now, but we'll see where it goes. But Chris Taylor's going to be on this team for the majority of the season at least.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get it. But why he really gives because.
Speaker 3: He's making fifteen million dollars.
Speaker 2: He's making fifteen million dollars on the last year and money plays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get it, all right, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Okay, Mark, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it. Yeah, I mean, now we're talking about Chris Taylor. He's the twenty sixth man on the bench. He's had one start and it was against Chris Sale.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: Let's go out to Dave and Glendale. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Dave, what's going on that day?
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. I love Philly. I love Philly. When the Dodgers beat Philly.
Speaker 5: Nice? Nice. Yeah. I just wanted to kind of add on to what Mark was talking about with the whole monthly deal. Man. I know it's it's only ten games into the season, and you know, to be quite honest, he's not the only one that's clearly struggling, right now you know, but Max, the strength aren't on his defensive ends his strength. His strength, he's got number one's got light power, power, right, and he's gonna see a lot of pitches. Do we not forget that he set a record for most games in the playoffs of successfully getting on base right, that was only a few months ago.
Speaker 3: During the NLCS.
Speaker 5: During the NLCS, absolutely, so, as Dodger's nation, we got to be patient with him.
Speaker 3: I mean, he does have a resume.
Speaker 2: It's not his first year on the team, so I believe we all know what we're getting with Max Munsey. And yeah, exactly what I've said. He is the best example of the s being greater than the parts. He has a function in this lineup that is not always obvious because there's a lot of guys that swing at the first pitch or early in the count, and Max Munsey, when he's hitting a little higher in the lineup, he does see more pitches and makes the starting pitcher.
Speaker 3: Work a little bit more.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: He he is a three true outcome player, but I believe that he can hold his own defensively at third base.
Speaker 3: Two. What was your other point, Dave? What's your other point?
Speaker 5: Try to get them playing time at center field, and maybe.
Speaker 2: Why do you want to see him get Why do you want to see him get playing time? Did you watch him play in Oakland? Are you a big fan of his? Have you ever seen him play one pitch or one inning?
Speaker 5: I actually have it, but I just read Scott you.
Speaker 2: Haven't seen him play, but you really want to have him called up?
Speaker 3: Come on? I love you, Dave, but come on, come on. That's just that's just hearing his name.
Speaker 2: That's just hearing his name and saying, ah, this guy's got to be in the starting lineup.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: That's not the reason why the Dodgers made the trade for him. Remember Tim Locastro a few postseasons ago. The Dodgers called him up in September and he was the last guy on the bench to be used as a pinch runner in the playoffs. That's what the Dodgers are thinking here. And also, like I said, he gives them depth at Triple A.
Speaker 3: I like you feel me?
Speaker 6: I do all right?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave, appreciate the phone call. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies today three to one. Austin Barnes catches a great game to help Rokey Sazaki get through four plus innings and only walk to Let's go out to Claremont.
Speaker 3: Danny, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Danny.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great. Dave's great to talk to you again. Man, it's my first call this season. I'm so excited to get back on the best show on the radio.
Speaker 3: And hey, I've been waiting for you, Danny.
Speaker 8: Oh awesome, man, thank you so much. I've been waiting for YouTube, buddy. And I listened to the game in the back of the shop today working on guitars, and when I heard that Austin Barnes is in the lineup, and I got excited. That's for Rokie Sazaki in my opinion. You know, Austin Barnes is one of the most underrated, most valuable players in the league. Definitely on the team. You know, he's basically like having an extension of the coaching and scouting staff in the field. You know, he makes a tremendous difference to the team in ways that are not going to be measured in in the staff book for the scorecard. You know, he's not gonna put up tons of War. He's not going to hit three hundred and do all that other stuff, but the value he brings to this team is immense. And there's a reason, you know, at this point he is the longest tenured position player on the team. He's got to be one of the best backup catchers in baseball. And I love the idea if that's if this is what they're going to do, is is you know, given give him Sasaki, given Barnes. Given Sasaki to Barnes and letting him work with him, because that's that's something that could help this kid. It's just going to take time for him to find to find his place in this league. But Austin Barnes is the kind of guy that can help you help a young pitcher find his place in the league. So I just was really excited about that, Dick said to Austin Barnes, and you know, go Dodgers man, love it.
Speaker 2: Danny call back any time, and yeah, look, Roki Sazaki's confidence was probably at an all time low. They needed to get him some confidence with some good results, and Austin Barnes was a great option to help Sazaki get through this start. Now, does that mean that Barnes is going to be the only one that catches Suzaki. I don't see that taking shape the whole year, but I could see Barnes catching the next two or three starts, just to get him on a roll and get him comfortable. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Phillies three to one here at Citizens Bank Park. When we continue, we'll check in with Jose Mota and you'll also hear from Keik a Hernandez after the Dodgers even up the series with a three to one win on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: This is Dodger Talk with David mas Sam at.
Speaker 9: The time running scoring position here too out, He'll Swayne, He'll drive one down.
Speaker 3: The left field side. This ball his teeth, ball is god. It's a home run.
Speaker 9: Kyk Hernandez has given the Dodgers a two to one lead with a home run just inside the left field fowl powl. A home run for kyk.
Speaker 2: Key k Hernandez given the Dodgers in early two nothing lead off of Aeronola. Michael Confordo, who leads the Dodgers with the highest ops this season eleven hundred also homered off of Aaron Nola that was in the sixth inning as the Dodgers defeat the Phillies tonight three to one. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until the top of the hour. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot com and use the keyword home run for your free chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 3: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota. All right, Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers even up the books in this series with the home runs from Kei k and Michael Conforto. But all eyes were on Roki Sazaki, so he earns another start, Yes he does.
Speaker 6: And all eyes were in the combination which you mentioned before the game about Austin Barnes, and we talked about this last night. It goes back to commanding the fastball. And then Austin Barnes talked about that fastball about six seven times during his you know, his media session. So, David, if you think about the thing that he fixed in that bullpen session or bullpen sessions, I should say he's a guy that though he is very tall, he cannot pitch tall. And in other words, is he needs that bottom half to drive through because that puts from a very good direction. And for Austin Barnes, what was most noticeable to me today was when he saw a lot of armsite running that fastball, he stood the outer half to allow the fastil to naturally do what was whatever's going to do, do the very fine job at least reading what the ball was doing out of his hands.
Speaker 2: So what you're basically saying is something that we hear from pitching coaches and pitchers when they talk about being more in their legs.
Speaker 6: Be more on your legs, make sure you're tired after the game. You know, for some guys it's like go out there and ice your legs too when you have to get into in the cold pool. And it is right. I watched him compare some video of the outing in Tokyo. We had a lot of run in that fastball, like it was giddy up one hundred and one oh one, and he didn't have a lot of run sideways after that. Since he's like kind of almost aiming, I would say the velocity is down a little bit. Is where he's lost his legs because the arm slade is not catching up with it, and have your legs you need to drive through when if he freeze any of his images and spring training throwing bullpens, watch how low he is to the ground when he lived reivers. When he is in a good spot to go out there and carry on and make the split at pitch that they're not going to be spitting on.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers defeat the Phillies three to one in a start that Roki Sazaki only had two walks and four plus sinnings. That's when he handed the ball over to the bullpen. And how about Ben Caspirius. Jose, we got to know him in the World Series last year and he has been a big time weapon coming out of the bullpen today two scoreless innings. Blake Trenton told me, or told us on the pregame show yesterday that Lou Trevino is a name that he compares Ben Caspirius too, because he believes that Caspirius is one of the best young relief arms he has seen since he was teammates with a young Lou Trevino in Oakland.
Speaker 6: Who would take the ball in any situation too and be multiating guy and not be shot of his own. When I first saw BENK Casparius in Spring Trendy, he told me about a couple of adjustments he wanted to make and was making coming hereto the Cactus League.
Speaker 3: But I say, how.
Speaker 6: About the strategy to go. I'm going to go out there and fill it regardless. So the justice I've been just repeating his arm angled, But David went over very well, especially early in the season. How valuable multi inning guys are for a bullpen, and because he is really a starting pitcher, his stuff plays well in relief too because he always has He's not afraid to start you over with a break the ball for a strike, finish you off, and pitch you backwards. But nonetheless, he took all these guys that come into from Dollar's bullpen. They have a lot of heat. They can swing and miss some bats, but they throw a lot of strikes. And perhaps when you see guys come out of a bullpen on the opposing side in the year of the opposing team, do you see a lot of oen ones? And before you know it, you're more defensive than you are aggressive on early counts.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, Tomorrow Glass, Now, with the way the Dodgers use the bullpen, how important is it for Glass now to give the Dodgers at least six innings not just five?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's huge, And I hope he's not looking around city knowing that he's got enough to go out there and win and give you some innings. He is a guy that knows. Also, going back to yeah, a motive moto yesterday on how well the fastball was located against some of these very powerful hitters, you can't shut away from us. So I hope it's more of a fastball sided type of outing for him, because that way he can go out and correct things and stay directional and have everything else worked much better as a very good ball club.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, we'll check in with you after the game tomorrow, as the Dodgers will train it to Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: After the game tomorrow. Thanks jose A Stamanena.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. The Dodgers defeat the Phillies tonight three to one and look to win the series tomorrow afternoon, with Tyler Glass now on the mound going up against a very good pitcher in Christopher Sanchez. So tomorrow will not be easy for the Dodgers, but certainly they have They had the lineup to be able to make really good pictures seem mere mortals. And I was talking to Ken Rosenthal on the way back upstairs after the game, and he was just going down the Dodger lineup. I mean, my gosh, you got CONFORDO, you got Muncie, you got key k. You don't even have Freddy and MOOKI together. It's like, yes, they have a really good team. And it makes it really tough even for the really good teams and for the good pitchers to come out of it with a win. And that's why I believe even when teams beat the Dodgers like last night, they basically survived the Dodgers and survived twenty seven outs Hey. Earlier today I had a chance to catch up with KEYK Hernandez, and Key K tonight is going to have the last word, as Mookie Betts had the last word last night on Dodger Talk. Look, those two guys don't want to make anything political. They don't want to make it about themselves, but they felt the need to come out publicly to basically say they're going to the White House with their teammates, and they don't want to bring attention to themselves. They want to continue the tradition of world champions of visiting the White House, which is the House of the people. And here was our exclusive conversation with Keith A Hernandez about joining his teammates and not being alone and being part of a team celebration on Monday. Part of the reason why you're back with the Dodgers and why everybody wanted you back was to enjoy the fruits and the celebration of being a world champion. The following year you got your ring. I'm sure that was exciting for you. And then on Monday, the Dodgers are going to the White House.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, second time there is a champ. First time that I get to you know, come back and be part of all the all the celebrations of the previous year. Of course I missed out on all of that in twenty twenty one, So the White House, I feel like being a Latino and being a somewhat of a fan favorite.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 10: It was kind of a loose lose situation for me in terms of the White House. If if if I was here in twenty twenty one, maybe my decision would have maybe possibly been easier. But you know the fact that I was in here, I need to be selfish and and and put myself and myself before anything else. I understand that, uh that I'm a role model and I'm uh, you know, I'm supposed to be a leader in the Latino community. But at the same time, you know, as a little kid, you see the World Series champ or NBA Finals champ, all the you know, NHL, all these major sports. You know, they win the they win the title, and they go to the White House, and you know that's one of the things as a little kid when you dream about winning the World Series, you know, you put yourself in those situations. And here, here we are in the present moment, and a decision that is not really easy at all. But you know, I've I've decided that I'm going to go to the White House just because we are celebrating as a team and we have a really good thing going on. I feel like if I say no, that kind of becomes a distraction, not only for myself but for my teammates. I don't want to have any of my teammates have to answer questions to the media as to why I took a personal decision. So I feel like me going to the White House is definitely not a political thing. It's more of a you know, I'm there to celebrate the title and I'm there to support my teammates. So yeah, I mean, I don't want to go back twenty years from now and regret my decision of, you know, not going to the White House. That's that would have been twice that I miss out on the opportunity. So, like I said, in twenty twenty one, the team got to go, my teammates got to go. I wasn't there because I wasn't part of the team. I missed out on that opportunity. So I'm trying to trying to make sure I don't miss out on anything this year. And you know, I think mixing politics and sports is never a good thing. So I am definitely not making this a political thing. I'm just going to be there for my team. I'm going to be there to support and my teammates, not anybody else. And uh yeah, just that's probably that's part of my reason why I'm going.
Speaker 2: No doubt, LA loves you, KEYK. Puerto Rico loves you. That will never change. So you don't have to worry about that. You just have to, uh look good and be yourself wherever the Dodgers go.
Speaker 10: Well, those are two things that I tend to be good at. Looking good and be myself. Uh be myself as something I pride on each and every day regardless of where I'm at. And uh, who knows, maybe I'll pull a k a kyk stunt at the White House.
Speaker 3: Be on your toes. You never know.
Speaker 2: Like I said, LA will never change how they feel about you. You leave it all out on the field. You wear your heart on your sleeve, and that's something that we all appreciate.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Dave, I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 2: He is KEYK Heez with the last word tonight on Dodger Talk, And just like Mooki Beds said yesterday, this is not a political thing. This is sports and world champions of all sports. Part of the celebration in the perks is not only getting a championship ring, but then also going with your teammates as a group to the White House to be celebrated. And the Dodgers will do that on Monday, and they will be celebrated. And look, I feel like it's awkward that they even feel the need they have to come out and publicly give their reasoning. But obviously Mooki bets and today exclusively with us Keik Hernandez felt like he had to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: But we'll let Keik have the last word.
Speaker 2: I thought, Mooki and Keik express themselves perfectly.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned, Tyler Glass now is on the mound for the Dodgers. In his first start of the year, he went five scoreless innings with eight strikeouts. He's going up against lefty Christopher Sanchez. Our coverage begins tomorrow morning at nine thirty with first pitch at ten thirty five from the Bank in Philadelphia. Thanks to Calling you back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Citizens Bank Park in Philly. And in case you missed any of the show, I want to hear the full conversation with Keith Hernandez. You can find all of that on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Philadelphia. The Dodgers defeat the Phillies three to one. Have a great rest of your Saturday, see them say.