Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We take complex source material, you know, dense stuff, and really pull out the actionable insights you need.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Today we're digging into the role of the modern solutions architect. The essay. We've got some key excerpts here from the Solutions Architect's Handbook, which is pretty much a go to text in this space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is, and our mission today it's about synthesis. Really the solutions architect role. It's super dynamic. It's evolved quite a bit from the older application or it architect roles.
Speaker 1: Deem change fast they do.
Speaker 2: And if you're interested in this career path, maybe especially the cloud solutions architect, which is probably the most common type these days, well, we're aiming to give you the core principles pretty quickly, the things that really drive strategic decisions in modern tech.
Speaker 1: That's the word strategy. We're not just like listing tasks from a job description. We're trying to get to the principles as is used to connect those big business goals you know, speed, cost with the actual tech choices and system design. It's about understanding the trade offs they manage all the time. Okay, so let's let's unpack this, say, roll a bit. The source material points out it's complex partly because those old lines between it jobs developer, DBA Security guide they're getting really blurry.
Speaker 2: Now, very blurry. And the essay there are the ones with that end to end ownership, right from the initial idea through to deployment.
Speaker 1: End to end. That's a lot of responsibility. It is.
Speaker 2: They're fundamentally bridge builders. It often starts with translating what users actually need into requirements you can measure. We talk about functional requirements with the system does honestly the big architectural choices, they're usually driven by the non functional.
Speaker 1: Requirements ah right, things like how fast it needs to be, or how secure or how many users it needs to.
Speaker 2: Support exactly latency, security scale. Those characteristics really dictate the design. You know, if the system has to handle say a million users at once, that's a non functional requirement. That single need. It pretty much defines your database choice, your network set up, your whole cloud strategy.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay.
Speaker 2: And beyond just requirements, the essays constantly juggling constraints, often high stakes ones. They have to make these really critical technology selections, you know, often getting into that big debate do we build this ourselves or do we buy a third party tool?
Speaker 1: The classic build versus.
Speaker 2: Buy right and that choice It isn't purely technical, it's kind of a fundamental bet. Really, you're betting on future flexibility versus maybe immediate cost savings or speed.
Speaker 1: It sounds like what sounds like they could easily get pulled in too many directions. Yeah, if they're talking to stakeholders, defining requirements, making these huge bill by calls, handling constraints, are they basically doing three jobs?
Speaker 2: It can feel like that sometimes, I bet, but it's all sort of unified by one goal managing risk, Okay, which is why a really key part of their jobs is discovering risks early. They'll often build a proof of concept, a pose or maybe a proto type quite early on.
Speaker 1: So not just coding for fun.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. It's about proving that the tech stack you've picked can actually handle the trickiest requirements before you commit huge amounts of resources. It's de risking the whole project.
Speaker 1: What's really interesting, and the source mentioned this, is that the first draft of the architecture often happens incredibly early, like sometimes even during pre sales, when they're just putting together an RFP.
Speaker 2: Response, yeah, request for proposal or RFI request for information.
Speaker 1: Right, so they're already scoping the tech solution, figuring out the parts, estimating complexity and resources before the contract's even signed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they're making informed technical bets essentially to help win the business in the first place. And those early bets, well, they need to be built on something solid, right, which brings us neatly to these foundational design attributes or pillars that really define a good solution. Every decision and essay makes it kind of needs to map back to these pillars, especially now with cloud computing completely changing the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cloud changed there. Yeah, Okay, let's start with growth, scalability, the system's ability to handle more work. Why did the cloud make this so much well easier.
Speaker 2: Basically because of elasticity. Think about the old days traditional it. If you needed more capacity, you had to order hardware that could take what four to six months?
Speaker 1: Yeah, easily, And if you got.
Speaker 2: It wrong exactly under provision and your system falls over during peak times over provision, and you've got expensive servers just sitting there doing nothing.
Speaker 1: Just burning money, a constant guessing game.
Speaker 2: Right, Cloud elasticity means we can grow and shrink capacity almost instantly on demand, and the strategic way says usually achieve this is through horizontal scaling, adding more machines, not just making one bigger. Okay, scale out, not up precisely. And a really key technical decision to enable that is decoupling user sessions from the actual application server. Instance.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you don't store the user shopping cart on the web server.
Speaker 2: They happen to hit exactly. You store that session state somewhere else, an independent layer that's highly available, like a no SQL database maybe yeah, Amazon DynamoDB or Mango dB something like that.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: The insight there is by making the application server stateless, you can suddenly add or remove hundreds of them instantly without anyone losing their work, and no SQL databases, with their speed and flexible schemas, are often perfect for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on too, reliability. The sources talk a lot about resiliency. Specifically, this idea of self healing systems that recover from problems without a human stepping in sounds a bit like sci fi still.
Speaker 2: Eh, maybe a few years ago, but it's pretty standard engineering now. It's almost mandatory. Think about a load balancer. It's not just directing traffic. It's constantly checking the health of the servers behind it. Bick a health check exactly If it, season instance, isn't responding right, boom, it pulls it out of rotation immediately, and then usually through an auto scaling group, it tells the system to spin up a brand new, healthy replacement. The end user they probably never even notice itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, that handles small, localized failures. But what about you know, the big stuff, real disasters, right.
Speaker 2: That's where disaster recovery, dr and business continuity planning come in. The strategic thinking here is all about geography and redundancy, threading things out way out. For a critical global business, like say a payment processor, the essay has to plan for enough it resources in a completely different region, maybe even a different continent. The goal is simple, really. If the main data center gets wiped out flood, earthquake, major power outage, the business has to keep running globally. Often that means failing over completely to the other regions, sometimes within minutes. Okay, security, this is huge. It's not just a feature you add at the end. It has to be baked into the design from day one. An architectural mindset. The sources really hammer this defense in depth.
Speaker 1: IDEA defence in depth sounds like a layers it is.
Speaker 2: It's necessary paranoia. Basically, you have to assume your outer defenses will be brooched at some point. So security can't just be at the edge. It needs to be applied at every single layer, So not.
Speaker 1: Just the main firewall at the network edge, but also controls on the load balancer in the network segments, in the application code itself, the database, everywhere, everywhere.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. A classic example of how an essay thinks defensively is designing against common web attacks like cross site scripting XSS or SQL enrection as a nasty totally, so the essay will mandate using something like a web application firewall a wave. It sits in front and blocks known malicious patterns in traffic before it even gets near your actual application.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, and for some industries compliance is an optional. It actually dictates the architecture from the start right.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, compliance is a massive design constraint. If you're in finance, for instance, dealing with payments regulations like PCIDSS, they demand comprehensive logging and auditing.
Speaker 1: You track everything everything.
Speaker 2: The essays design must ensure that there's a clear, unchangeable log trail for every single transaction, every access attempt. If you mess that up, it's not just a technical problem, it's finds maybe losing your license to operate serious business.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got this solid blueprint. The architecture looks robust, scalable, secure, great, But a great design is useless if you can't actually build and deploy it quickly and.
Speaker 2: Reliably exactly, which shifts us from those static design principles to thinking about speed and efficiency and execution getting it out the door. And this is where the essay really needs that Agile mindset. They have to embrace continuous feedback, rapid delivery. The big contrast the sources draw is with the old waterfall.
Speaker 1: Method right waterfall, where you plan everything up front, build it all, and then show the customer at.
Speaker 2: The very end yeah, and often find out it's not quite what they wanted. Agile, with its short sprints, means frequent checkpoints. You're focused on delivering small working pieces constantly.
Speaker 1: The main benefit there isn't just speed, right, It's also about catching mistakes, reducing the cost of making changes.
Speaker 2: Precisely inspect and adapt. And what really enables that speed and crucially reliability, it's automation. The sources are pretty clear automation is the best way to kill human error, boost productivity, and ultimately cut costs in the long run.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if automation is non negotiable, where does the say need to focus those efforts. What gets automated?
Speaker 2: Well, pretty much everything you can Application testing is obvious, But just as critical, maybe even more so, is automating the environment itself, the infrastructure.
Speaker 1: How do you automate the infrastructure?
Speaker 2: That's where infrastructure as code comes in IAC tools like antsable or Terraform, maybe cloud formation if you're in Awska. The huge strategic win with IIC is reproducibility. You define your entire environment servers, networks, databases and code. That means you can stamp out identical environments repeatedly no more. It worked in test problems because test is identical to production. It kills configuration drifts. Ah nice, And then you automate the whole release pipeline too, Continuous integration, continuous deployment CICD pipelines that and shows every change goes through the same automated build, test, and deploy process consistency and velocity. And finally, related to all this, we need to talk about how the system itself is organized, which brings us to this really important design principle loose coupling. Loose coupling, Okay, fundamentally, it's about minimizing the error radiuses how far things break when something goes wrong.
Speaker 1: Give me a picture that air radius.
Speaker 2: Okay, Think of like a giant solid statue versus maybe a set of Lego blocks in a tightly coupled system, a monolith. If one critical part breaks, say one big application server fails, everything connected to it instantly feels the pain. Maybe all the web servers start getting errors. The whole system can start to wabble. The blast radius is.
Speaker 1: Huge, right, One thing takes down.
Speaker 2: Everything pretty much, but with a loosely coupled system, more like the Lego blocks. If one component one's service fails, there's usually something in between, like that load balance that we talked about, or a message queue. It spots the failure and instantly routes traffic away from the broken bit to the.
Speaker 1: Healthy ones, So the damage is contained exactly.
Speaker 2: Only that single failed component is impacted the blast radius is tiny, much more resilient, and.
Speaker 1: That idea limiting the air radius. That's kind of led to the modern architectures we see everywhere.
Speaker 2: Now, absolutely service oriented architecture SOA and its more modern evolution micro services. That's how we achieve loose coupling today. You break the application down into these small independent services. Each does one thing well and they talk to each other over standard lightweight ways. Often you know RESTful APIs using.
Speaker 3: Jason lightweight language independence yep, and the big win teams can develop, deploy, and scale their individual services independently, which leads to huge gains in both development speed and overall system stability.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful pattern hashtag tag outro. So when you pull it all together, looking back at the sources, the solution's architect prole Wow, it's intensely multidisciplinary, isn't it. Definitely you need deep technical chops across well, pretty much everything. But just being a tech wizard isn't enough. That skill has to be grounded in those crucial soft skills leadership, being able to think big strategically but still sweat the details, and being flexible enough to adapt when business needs inevitably change. Yeah, and continuous learning. It's just table stakes, reading blogs, trying new tech. You have to stay current. It's non negotiable for an essay, and I.
Speaker 1: Think one thing they should really stand out for you the listener is this central tension. The essay constantly manages the fact that performance optimization always always comes with the cost.
Speaker 3: Good point.
Speaker 1: You know an application doing high speed stock trading, it might need sub mill second response times. Achieving that requires really expensive complex architecture, specialized hardware, maybe custom network protocols. You have to spend big to get that level of performance.
Speaker 2: If your application is just say an intro fnel timesheet system for one hundred employees, spending all that money to get submillisecond latency, it's completely unjustified. There's no real business value there. Every single choice, from the database you pick to the cloud reagion you deploy in, it's always a trade off technical perfection versus budget reality.
Speaker 1: Which leads us right into our final thought for you to think about for your next project or maybe when you're working on right now, how do you figure out that acceptable trade off the balance between pushing for the absolute best performance, lowest latency, highest throughput and keeping the costs both upfront capital and ongoing operational costs under control.
Speaker 2: Where exactly would you draw that line for your business needs