Speaker 1: Welcome to Big for Society.
Speaker 2: If you have Bigfoot activity to report from the same areas discussed in this episode, please reach out to me directly after this episode. And if you'd like to be on the podcast to discuss a personal Bigfoot encounter, please reach out to me directly at Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com. Do you wish there was more Big for Society to listen to every week?
Speaker 1: There is now.
Speaker 2: If you become a supporting member over at Patreon, you get a special members only episode every single week on Wednesdays, and sometimes even more episodes. Head on over to patreon dot com fort Slash the Big for Society, And now let's get on with the show on our Bigfist Society. I've got the privilege of talking to an individual. His name is Freddie. He's out there from the great state of Washington, and he had listened to one of my Packwood Washington episodes not too long ago, and then he heard how I was asking if anyone else had any encounters around that area, and so emailed me right after he listened to that episode. So, Freddie, it's a pleasure to have you on the show today.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else that the listeners would need to know about your background before I have you go into your story of what you experienced out there in the woods.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sure.
Speaker 4: I'm originally from down Southeast and I was born and raised down there in military and came up here and in i'd say probably late nineties was when I first moved up here, And to be honest with you, I really didn't know anything or that much about.
Speaker 3: Bigfoot stuff at all.
Speaker 4: It's a lot more prevalent up here and a lot more interested in that when all this came about with what happened with us, that was the I just didn't really know what I was actually seeing or experiencing or hearing anyway. Yeah, I've honestly, I've tried to keep this story to myself because the area was a hunting area and how it is with guys that don't want to give up their hunting areas and that kind of stuff. But this happened around two thousand and four. One of the reasons I'm okay with going ahead and talk about it is it's been twenty years and so this happened a while ago. But also another site that corroborates my story on this was actually had already been posted in the location and everything, so I'm going to go ahead and divulge some stuff that normally I wouldn't have done, but it's already out there, so I'm just it's okay to talk about it. I just wanted to share my experience about what happened with my son and I on this little adventure.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and Freddie, something I would request of you, just because I'm looking at a map, is if you could include what it took to actually get into this location, because it looks like it may have taken a little bit of work to get in there, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you're exactly right. It's so this is an area that the area is called Go Mountain, and that area is mainly traveled by horse. It's a horse camp up above. And when you're coming into this area, you're entering it in through the Mount Saint Helens Area park area, but then you're going you're eventually making your way back over into the forested National forest Land, which is areas that you can hunt and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So it's on the border.
Speaker 4: The first mountain you got to traverse up is really steep I'd say that's probably a good three and a half four miles straight up and then another three miles down to some lakes that you can get to as well. A lot of people go up there for hiking. People fish up there a little bit, so there is a little bit of trout fishing up there. And yeah, I would say in total, coming from the base of this mountainous area is to the actual end resort, which was where I was. We were camped out of a lake called dead Men's Lake. That's probably from the beginning of the trail head to that lake is probably around seven to seven and a half miles. I think it's about seven and a half miles. I think all I know is hiking it and going that steep in elevation. It definitely feels like a long way. It's a pretty good hike. So the first probably four miles is pretty hard just because it just going up switchbacks. And usually when I would go up there, because I used to go up there every year just about to hunt. We're carrying fifty sixty seventy pound packs just depending on how much stuff we needed to get up in that area. Because usually when I would hunt up there, we'd be up there for about five days five days to a week. It just depending on my work schedule and all that. But this particular year, my son and I he had just he was thirteen, getting ready to turn fourteen, and this was his first big, real big h with me. I'd been hunting up there. Oh yeah, let me explain that to you. I've been hunting that area since about two thousand. A friend of mine that he flew aircraft and stuff, he knew this area pretty well and basically introduced me to this area. And so I'd hunted that area for a few years prior to me taking my son up there. And I went up there during archery season. So this was around I'm guessing around September time frame two thousand and four. And like I said, my son was probably close to fourteen. I was around thirty two years of age at that time, and so a little more fit, a little more ragile to get up in these areas. And so anyway, we packed up down below at the trailhead where the horse camp one of the main start where people trader out their horses to go up the trailhead. We made like a base camp down there with a really little, tiny RV I just kept down there. We has a base camp, and then the plans was to set the satellite camp up above at dead Men's and just camp there, not really hunt there, but just camp there and then go out from there. Anyway, so we went up, we hiked up. It was like I said, like you said earlier, it is not an easy place to get to. We had to try to beat the horse of guys on horseback up there that morning. So we left out in the dark that morning to get up there and start doing some hunting and doing We needed to get to dead Man's to set up camp, and so we were getting up there and we hunted, set up camp, was there overnight, hunted that night that day, and then camped out that night at dead Men's Lake, and then got up went back up to Goat or Goat Goat Mountain, which is an area that you could really visually see your area okay a little better. So we were up there looking and the sky we saw this guy walking down the horse trail. It's probably well it was at the top of Goat Mountain, so it was probably about three miles in from the trail head. So we were right at the very peak right at the top peak, and we see this guy walking towards us and he's got a little rod and little fishing rod and just looking like he's just going to be a light camper. So we walk up to him and we're like hey, and he was like saw that we were archery hunting, and we were just chatting back and forth, and I said, hey, we're camping out down a dead nuns if you guys, just letting you know, and he goes. I said, there's nobody else down there. It's just my son and I And he was like, oh, okay, So i'll see maybe tonight or something and we'll see if we can meet up for dinner or whatever. Anyway, we just chatted for a little bit and he said he was going to stay there for a couple of days, like a few days. I'm not sure how many days, but he would just say he's going to be there. So we hunted all that day and that night we came in to camp and I looked out and probably about two hundred yards away was his camp. So there was only him and then my son and I. So my son and I were in our campsite and then he had his campsite probably close to two hundred yards away around this lake, and to figure out logistically, we were closer to the main trail and he was like further away from the trail and he would have actually had to walk past us if he was going to come back out or anything if we were there. So anyway, another day goes by, we're hunting and doing our thing, and come back in really late. One night, it was pretty late and we had it all day and come back to the tent and was fell asleep.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing we probably fell asleep around eight or nine and woke up at about nine, and it's probably about one. We woke up about one in the morning, and because I think I looked at my watch and it was right at just about wanting and morning, and there was the most god awful scream I'd ever heard, and it was only probably about thirty thirty yards from us. It was really close. And when I thought at first, I was thinking, Okay, maybe this is just a cougar, Maybe this is just a bear or something like that. But the way that this thing made this sound, it didn't sound like a cat, because a mount cat sounds more like a woman screaming or whatever. This one sounded very guttural, and it was just it was a really long, long scream. It felt like it lasted like five seconds every time it would do it. And it did that a few times. And because we were up there archery hunting, and I was concerned. Just to be honest, I had packed a small pistol on me just in case for safety of my son and I in case we ran across anything. Wasn't expecting that and had pulled my pistol and was just waiting. And I could hear this thing walking up to our tent and it was walking around us, and it didn't sound like a four legged animal at all. And I even telling this story to give me chill bumps right now. It was but it was screaming and yelling, and it was terrifying. You always thinking you know what you're going to do at that moment. But I honestly was freaked out, and I was trying to figure out a way. My son and I were both looking at each other because now we're both awake, and he's scared out of his mind.
Speaker 3: I'm like, going, what is this?
Speaker 4: And so I'm trying to figure out an exit way to get out of a tent and shine some light on whatever it is. But when it started walking around us, I was like, okay, I'm not walking out there, and so it came around and then walked back, and then it more or less disappeared after that. But the screaming and thing that this thing did was probably a good fifteen seconds of it, maybe twenty seconds of yelling and screaming, and had a really high pitch and then it went to a really low pitch and that's what was just that was really what was so like. I could not figure out what kind of animal this would actually sound like. Anyway, we stayed in there and we couldn't sleep the rest of the night. We were pretty much wide awake the rest of the night, just waiting and listening for anything to transpire. It did walk away, and so anyway, got up that morning and walked outside the tent and I looked over and the guy's tent that was two hundred yards away from us was gone. His pack and everything was gone. And so anyway, I was kind of like, Okay, well that's weird. And I saw him the night before, I saw his camp down there, and now he's gone, I'm like winning the world?
Speaker 3: Did he leave?
Speaker 4: And so anyway, we went ahead. We stayed down there. We actually stayed for another day, and we were pretty nervous about staying, but we just did not know what it was and we were just trying to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Anyway, the next day we went out, we hunted all day again, came back to camp and I'd asked my son to go to the lake to get some water, because we'd get water from the lake and boil it over the campfire and that would be some of our drinking water, first drinking water. So he went down and he comes running back and he goes, Dad, there's something by the lake and it was looking at me. And I go, maybe maybe it was just a barrack or something. He goes, no doubt. He goes, this thing was looking at me. It had a face. But he goes the closest thing I can make it out to be is it looked alien. But at the same time, I go, what did you see its body or what he was like? You know, I just saw his face and he was looking at me. He was like behind a log or a stomp, and I was like, yeah, okay, I think we're about done. So we ended up packing our stuff up and going ahead and heading back down. So anyway, we come back home. We told some some of our friends and family the story and they were just like, man, you know, that sounds like a bigfoot thing. And I was I didn't know really what they were talking about. I'd heard about bigfoot, but not really too much. It's like I said, it's more the West. So I go and I ended up running into my friend again, actually to f forward a little bit. Three years go by, okay, and I'm talking to the guy that he introduced me to place, the guy that flew, and he told me, he goes, you need to be careful going up there at certain times because you just don't know what you're going to get into. We're just talking about safety and stuff, and I go, yeah, I said, I know. I said, I've already had that one incident happening. He was like, what are you talking about? And I go, I thought I told you that. He goes no, And so I told him the story about what I just told right now, and he goes, dude, I totally believe in the bigfoot stuff. And I was like really, and he goes, yeah, and I said, I go, I don't know. I don't know what it was, but it was very terrifying and it walked around us. It sounded upright, didn't sound like a like a four legged creature or anything.
Speaker 3: And I go, I don't know.
Speaker 4: So he ends up jumping on the I gut bfro, I think, and he found the other guy's story in our area. He was going on his computer and he looked up the area that we hunt. He goes, hey, look, man, there's another story up at dead Man's Lake. And I go, what there is? I said, He goes, yeah, that's right. He goes, dude, that's right where we camp. And I go, what is he saying?
Speaker 3: What was the year?
Speaker 4: And he goes, it happened in two thousand and four, and I go, dude, that's when I was there. And so he clicks on it and he was reading the story and his side of the story. I haven't read this story in a long time, but his side of the story was that he was going up there to go fish and fish at dead Man's Lake and he ran into a father and son archery hunting. We discussed talking about meeting one another, and it was the date and everything like that was it. That was the story, and so that was the story from the guy that actually was there also.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Anyway that guy ended up according to what I if I remember correctly, because I haven't read this a long time, was that as soon as he heard that screaming and yelling, he started packing his stuff and got out of there right then. He must have left there in the dark. And I'm telling you, this Six of the Woods is pretty scary at night. If you're going to be up there alone, and to pack out alone, he would have had to have been really terrified to have done that. That's not something that you would just want to up and do. It's a hard hike out of there. And for him to get up at one or two in the morning and to pack his stuff and leave before daylight something spooked him as well, pretty bad. But the difference was he was still probably a couple hundred yards from it, and I was literally within feet of this thing. And I guess according to that thing, if I remember correctly, he said he knew that we were down there, I guess, but you know, he was getting out of there. So anyway, yeah, that's more or less what happened. I don't know if that's what my son actually saw at the lake, but whatever it was hanging around us.
Speaker 2: I did look up the report as we were talking about earlier today. The way that he talks in it, he in this report the same thing you did, which is, oh, the scream was predominantly a high pitch scream, but he also knows a low toned vibe that seemed to be part of the stream as well.
Speaker 3: It did. It was weird. It was so weird.
Speaker 4: It was extremely high, which at first made me think it was a cougar in the beginning, but then when it went into this real low guttural, I was like, no, that's.
Speaker 3: Not a cougar. That ain't no cougar.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's to me, that's what I was expecting. But you're right, it was really high and then it went really low.
Speaker 2: So the other thing that he points out is that it reminded him of a sound that he's heard Gibbons make, which is interesting.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, so that's good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, I'm kind of I'm kind of bignorant to a lot of this stuff. Honestly, I hate to say that, but what you're hearing is straight up honest from me on how this as far as what I know, that's really I don't know the differences in the Bigfoot and all that kind of stuff, but that's it. That is interesting. Like I said, I haven't read that story since two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: It might to check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: The other another interesting thing he says, this other witness, is that he tried to get back into the area later on, but it had been closed down by the Forest Service due to activity around Mount Saint Helens.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so that's weird.
Speaker 4: That's that is weird because I didn't see that while we were there. I didn't see anything shut down. But see, we literally stayed there for an additional day, you know what I mean. We were there for four days more or less, and so by the time we were seeing these other things and something else seemed really weird, we just decided we needed to get out of there because we were the only ones up there and if we needed help, we would have been totally screwed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you're so far out there, it's not going to be a good time. Did you hear any other animals or birds at the same time that you were hearing these screams or was it just.
Speaker 1: Pretty much nothing? Sorry? Hold on, I apologize.
Speaker 2: The bluetooth keeps Let me see if I can The bluetooth keeps having issues on this. It's very strange. Let me see if I can reconnect. Hello, check check, Hello, Hey Freddy. Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: There we go, but it's gonna be fun. I just have a few more questions for you.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, no, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So the last question I'd asked was do you remember hearing any sounds around the same time when you were hearing the screaming.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not No. This area that we hunted in, it's a very dense fur tree area. These things are massive, and it's not like a home to a lot of small animals. Like you don't see squirrels, You don't see any of that stuff in there, And don't ask me why, but there's just very low amount of wildlife in that near that lake. The only thing I've ever heard down there before, and that was probably maybe a year or two before that, was I have heard an owl in there. I was walking down the trail one night and I was coming back at dark, and I heard an owl that was literally ten feet from me that hooted at me, But there was a substantial difference between a scream and yell as opposed to a bird sound. Yeah, this was no bird sound at all. I know that for a fact.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: You had mentioned the sighting that your son had, and I know you guys aren't researchers, but did you happen to go down to that area to see if there are tracts or after it happened, you're like, you know what, let's get out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I did. When he come running out of the woods, I went more or less running towards him to see if everything was okay, and he was like that, there's something over there looking at me. He goes, I'm looking at its eyes. It's looking at me. And I went down there and I didn't see it, and he goes, Dad, it was just there, I'm telling you. And he wouldn't have made that up. He's not that kind of kid, not even from being scared from the other stuff. He just saw something and didn't know what it was. But no, when he told me that, I was spooked by then and was enough to go I don't want to camp out another night here and go through that again. We were going to We're going to go ahead and stay another following night, but I just was like, nah, I think we're just going to go ahead and head back. We're now up here alone by ourselves, and if in the event we didn't need help or anything, we would have been toast. I didn't want to endanger my son like that. It was bad enough being up there after that incident. But like I said, to be honest with you, I just was like, man, maybe there's another kind of an animal up here that I'm not aware of. But this thing does not sound like a cat, and it doesn't sound like a bear. I don't know what it is, but maybe there's just something I'm not aware of. And that's when, of course, later on people were like, shoot, that was probably a big foot, and I was just like what.
Speaker 3: So it was kind of like whoa.
Speaker 4: You know some of the things that people are talking about and saying, I wouldn't even tell some oh, that didn't happen to you, because now that I've had to happen to me, I would say, there's validity and everybody's experiences of what has happened to them on their own. But all I can tell you is what happened to me and my son and the third party that was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that it was quite a few years ago. Over the years, have you looked to see if there's been other things that have happened in the same area or region that could be related to Bigfoot?
Speaker 4: Not, not really so much. I really I haven't hunted up there in several years, probably at least ten ten years or so, and not because I didn't want to because of that incident or anything. It was just like I said, I'm getting older now and it's just getting harder to hike into these areas. Like I said, they're a hard place to hike in. It's not too bad on a horseback or anything, but it's pretty steep terrain. I will say that there's been some weird things up there that we've gone into some areas hunting that was very in the thick, like areas that I couldn't even imagine people going into, And doesn't mean that they haven't. Hunters can be pretty resilient to get in and around certain areas, but we've been in some areas that were pretty pretty thick and I've just seen like skeletons of animals, whether it be bear, or cougar or whatever, or elk actually elk and deer, and they're placed in like weird patterns and stuff.
Speaker 3: I thought that was weird.
Speaker 4: I've ran across that a few times, and I'm just like, man, I would be really surprised if somebody's been through some of these areas. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but I've just seen some things that that was just really weird, Like why are these things stacked a certain way and done this way out literally in the middle of nowhere, And.
Speaker 2: So can you share what you mean by strange patterns of these skeletons.
Speaker 4: Or Yeah, they were like just the way they were placed out like it was almost like they were purposefully laid out in a way, not laid out in a way as if something died and got just decayed and went to the ground. You can tell what that looks like. This looked like the bones had been specifically like moved around in places and formed until not really a design or anything, but just organized.
Speaker 3: It was weird. I've seen that before.
Speaker 4: And I just was like, Man, is deep in the woods and it's thick of the woods that were in We would sometimes get caught up into areas that me personally, I didn't even mean to get into. Sometimes you just start hiking into areas to look for these little side elk trails and stuff, and next thing of your in, you're in an area that you're like, I got to get out of here, because I'm gonna have trouble getting out of here myself because a lot of those ravines and stuff are so steep and they're hard to get into.
Speaker 3: And when at that time I was in.
Speaker 4: Really good shape and I could hike and go up into these areas no problem. But when you see something like spread out and laid out, and I don't want to I don't know how i'd say a pattern. They just did not look like they died and naturally decayed right there. They It looked like it had died and then something came in and shuffled their bones into a pile kind of and it was just weird, very strange stuff. But so that, other than that, I haven't had too many other encounters up there. I've hunted up there for probably I must have hunted up there for probably ten years though, from two thousand all the way to twenty ten. And but I did select after that incident, though I did. I went up there. I was going to go up there with more people and also pick and choose my battles on making sure I had somebody with me or whatever, because I used to like to go up there by myself. But it's it was like, after that incident, I was, I probably am going to come up in this one of these days if I keep this.
Speaker 2: Up, Which is not funny at all, but it's funny that you had that maybe I should not do this. I actually had a similar thought out in the south of Oakrange when I went to a reservoir down there and I was having supper by the side of this lake, and I was like, you know what, this is how people disappear.
Speaker 1: Maybe you should not everybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it definitely makes us question our sanity what we want to try to do. But and all honesty, if I had even known about this bigfoot step at that time, it might have really made me think a little harder about it going up there and hunting as often as I did by myself. But because I've tracked cougar and stuff up there, I've been around them, I know more or less what I'm hearing and seeing up there. That night was something I've never heard in my life, and really, to I can't expand on that enough.
Speaker 3: It just it was.
Speaker 4: It definitely wasn't human, And to me, it missed the mark on cougar and bear, and those are really about the only other things that could be up there that could even remotely become close.
Speaker 2: But because you know what cougar sounds like, you know what a bear sounds like, and this was no bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, this absolutely.
Speaker 2: Lastly, the name of that area is weird in itself. Do you know anything about the history of it Why it's called dead Man's Lake?
Speaker 4: I would only be speculating, but I had heard that it had something to do with when the volcano erupted. That one of the stories I heard was it launched a guy into that lake. Now whether or not that's true or not, I have no idea. That's just what I just heard, that it did have a bad ending from when the mountain erupted or something. But for all I know, that lake could have been named that before that time frame. Like I said, I'm not originally from up here. I've lived here since like ninety nine. But as far as the far back history of it, I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 2: It's a fascinating account and it is so unique because it has that report from the other individual's viewpoint to go along with it, which I'll have linked in the show notes and listeners. If you know the history of dead Man's Leg, feel free to put in the comments, or if or have had an encounter in this same area of dead Man's Leg, please share that as well. Or share it and also send me an email because that's how I keep track of stuff, and I'd love to talk to you. But Freddie, it has been just a privilege to have you on the show and for you to be able to share your story, and I appreciate you so much coming on.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: If there is anything else that you run into in the future, or you hear anything else, feel free to reach back out. I'd love to hear anything you run into up there, because I know the Bigfoot stuff is everywhere you turn.
Speaker 1: We'll do you're a big Fit society.
Speaker 2: Our goal is to provide a platform for those that have encountered Bigfoot to share their encounter and a safe and respected environment. But we need to hear your story. If you've experienced something that you just can't explain. Please send me an email at bigfoot Soociety at gmail dot com, then we can start the conversation. I know a lot of you have not shared your encounter at all. It's been twenty years and it's time that you get this off your chest and then you can get some well deserved for rest because I know you haven't been sleeping. I understand what you're going through and I appreciate every one.
Speaker 5: Of you listening Bigfoot Society podcast hosted by our Captain dere Amaya Bron. Whereas all Bigfoot all the time, have you ever had the urge to do more? To be more? Now? You can by joining Bigfoot Society on the Patreon. Get out free episodes and even number only episodes, take part in movie Night and even live video chats, interact behind the scenes with Jeremiah and other Patreon members like me, play it the powerful podcast goes on, and you may contribute a verse in our Patreon community car padm Seize the day, Bigflitters and make your lives extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Please take a minute to help out the show by subscribing on YouTube, making sure you hit the bell so you don't miss any notifications. And share the episode on YouTube with a friend. Also, if you're listening to us on a podcast, thank you so much, make sure that you're subscribed share the show with a friend. Really, it's all about sharing the show wherever you can. If you've had a Bigfoot encounter related to the following, or know someone who has, please reach out to me at Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com or pass on my email.
Speaker 1: Here's the list.
Speaker 2: These are all in Oregon, by the way, Oakridge, Dexter Fall Creek, to Shoot National Forest Area, Cultis Lake, Spirit Lake, Stuttle Lake, Mackenzie River Area, Sweet Home Area, the area west of Crater Lake, east of two thirty West Diamond Lake Highway and north of sixty two Creater Lake Highway. You can use email Bigfoot Society at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: A special thank.
Speaker 2: You to all the Bigfoot Society, Patreon and YouTube channel members. It's your support that helps keep the show going and I extremely appreciate it. If you want to join in the fun, you can join over at Patreon dot com forward slash the Bigfoot Society. I'll see you there and again, thanks for listening.