Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: He needs time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust is brought to you by Arnold Moore and Nie Camp at a funeral home.
Speaker 1: And today we have Saint John's School.
Speaker 2: Why golly, it is school time and it's still like really murderously hot out there. It should be a law against that, doctor Miller.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 4: I was telling some people earlier that when school starts we should.
Speaker 3: Get fall weather immediately. But it doesn't really work that way, does it.
Speaker 1: No, doctor Miller, you brought friend in. We've got a new development director that I haven't met yet.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, this is missus Amanda Daniels, and she is our director of development.
Speaker 1: Well, very very good, welcome aboard.
Speaker 2: Now we've got Saint John Catholic School kicking off.
Speaker 1: Tell us when so.
Speaker 4: We actually started the week before public schools, So yes we did.
Speaker 3: But it's not too late if people are interested.
Speaker 4: We are still taking applications and inquiries, so it's not too late to come by and check us out and join us.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I understand that we have a lot of things going on there, a lot of interesting things with the school.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think people are always pleasantly surprised when they learn about Saint John Katholic School. First thing that you can do is if you take a tour with doctor Miller and learn about the application process, you'd find out that elementary students have Spanish, they take computer classes.
Speaker 3: There's a stream for first new fifth grade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so unique experiences that we're able to offer as a private school. And one of the fun things is student service hours. Now in the elementary classes, I believe that's done through the classes themselves. They'll do a full class project. But the middle school has broken up more individually. And how many hours do they have to complete as middle schoolers of their own service?
Speaker 4: Eighth grade, if I remember correctly, is thirty hours.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the year.
Speaker 4: In the past, Father John set up a time for him to go to Tulsa to Catholic charities. We do have a new priest, Father Leo, so great fud he is great, lots of energy, so I'm excited to see what plans that he comes up with to help facilitate the eighth grade getting those.
Speaker 3: Hours, well, it was great.
Speaker 1: Now how do we get on board.
Speaker 2: First of all, you probably want to have to visit the school or at least call and check things out, maybe look at the website.
Speaker 1: How do we go about this if.
Speaker 2: We've got children of age that you think probably should be going to Saint John Catholic School.
Speaker 4: There's multiple avenues, so we do have a website. There is a parent tab, there's an about us tab, There's an admissions tab, so all those will get you to There is an inquiry form so you can fill out an inquiry. It shoots me an email. I can reply to that email with information about the school, and we can schedule a tour through email or you can call. Or in May, I had a family that were driving by and they just saw the school and stop. Part came in and we just did an impromptu tour right then. So we're available to do those things if you know, if I'm not in a meeting or at the radio station.
Speaker 2: Well, the school is not exactly a new school. It's been around Bartlesville for a long time.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was established in nineteen twelve. It's one of.
Speaker 3: The oldest Catholic schools in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it is, and it's still one of the best and I got to tell you these kids that you turn out or something else. There are special things that happen pretty much on the fundraising side where the students participate, and I am so impressed with that, how much attention to detail they present themselves and they present their school, and it's all about internal discipline and how they seem to be a little bit more grown up for their age.
Speaker 1: And I'm really impressed with that. It's never failed.
Speaker 2: Every time I've been to in a bed, always walk away with that impression you're doing something right there.
Speaker 5: Something nice about the school is that because we have pre k through eighth grade, they're able to interact with each other on multiple levels.
Speaker 1: Okay, so.
Speaker 5: Whether that's walking into mass on Friday mornings, the middle schoolers will join up with the younger kindergarten first graders and they walk in together and sit together. So the younger students can learn discipline and control from the middle schoolers, and the middle schoolers have a sense of maturity and they get to have responsibility in in learning about, you know, how to show somebody else the correct thing to do and how to behave. Something cool they did last year was the middle school elective is one of them is home eck and you learned so many important things through home ex And so they did a sewing unit and the kindergarteners drew little monsters, and unknown to them, the middle schooler sewed the monsters into their own little stuffed animals and they presented it to the kindergarteners for a Christmas present. Oh, and it was so exciting getting them to team up. And I mean just pure joy on the kindergarteners faces when they were presented with their own creation that had been made for them.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's really impressive. You know.
Speaker 2: Home mech is a thing that it's got to be for everyone, because I'm killing you. They tried it when I was in junior high for six weeks that the boys took home ch and the girls took shop and both the found mutually beneficial. It keeps a guy from running into the mercery store yelling.
Speaker 1: Hey, where do you get the toast? You know, so it all works out great.
Speaker 2: But this is really wonderful how the interactions take place. Now when we are a new family, say coming into Bartlesville or to the Bartlesville area, there's a lot of getting to know you going along here, and we provide great ways to folks to come in and get acquainted, as you mentioned, But it's still that personal get together finding out a little bit more about each other, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes? And I want people to know that.
Speaker 4: The one thing that makes our school excellent as well is you don't have to be Catholic to attend our school. I know that might intimidate a lot of people or make them a little hesitant, but our Catholic enrollment last year was less than fifty percent. So what makes it nice is it still that faith filled.
Speaker 3: Nurturing environment.
Speaker 4: So we're showing children and teaching them about values and about Christ. But even non believers, people that are not Christian at all, still attend our school because we believe in the dignity of the human person and respecting all faiths, and our classes are small. It gives children the opportunities to bond with their teachers and build those relationships. So it's a great environment. If you want a nurturing, safe, faith filled environment.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 4: You have a website, don't you, absolutely so it's SJCSKA dot org.
Speaker 2: Now, when it comes to keeping the school doors open, tuition doesn't always cover.
Speaker 1: Everything that's right.
Speaker 3: Tuition cannot be the cats all, it can't be.
Speaker 2: This is why we do some fun things that put the fund in fundraising.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, what do we do?
Speaker 3: Yeah about that?
Speaker 5: So last year was definitely a transition year.
Speaker 3: It was the first year that we.
Speaker 5: Didn't have the annual gala. Yes nuts right, Yeah, So, I mean we took a hard look at it. And fundraising can be you know, it comes and goes with what's going to be popular for people, and for us, we really want to lean into our relationships and our connections with the people who support the school and so what we have kind of changed our model from one big ticket evening to a series of donor dinners and so those are intimate conversations. So we have wonderfully generous donors and we had two last spring who volunteered to kick off this series. They hosted a group of people, looked at the invitation lists and they chose the invitation. They hosted the dinner and they fun things. People got together. They were able to have better conversations with doctor Miller, with the father, and we were able to talk about avenues of giving such as Gopher Catholic, which is the you know the tax break scholarship, you know funding program, which.
Speaker 1: Has been a real successful thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean if you donate an amount, you get a seventy five percent tax break on your taxes the following year, so it comes back to you when you give. So we have three of those organized for the fall already. So three donor dinners coming up, and that allows people who are interested in supporting the school to find one that they can attend. If we hear a family or an individual is interested in attending a donor dinner, then we can find a time and a date that works for them, and then people can get creative with it. It doesn't mean that you're sitting down and you're having.
Speaker 2: You know, a art discussion, yeah.
Speaker 5: And a three course dinner where you're being talked at. It can be as mingling and as party filled as you want it to be.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is great. Therefore, it's a little bit more into it. You learn a little bit more about the school and learn a bit more about the advantages that it presents.
Speaker 1: So wow, that's good thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're excited. We're excited to do it.
Speaker 5: And well, after the three in the fall, we'll see what we have for the spring.
Speaker 3: So and speaking of spring, don't forget to.
Speaker 4: Mention that what we did last year, Missus Daniels worked with the Kittie Park and so we did just like a celebration for families and students and you know, donors when to come and we just had a fun time at the Kittie Park celebrating our efforts and the year.
Speaker 3: It's really special at a kitti park. It was really cool.
Speaker 5: I go away and it felt so nice and safe to just have Saint John and affiliating families running around. And we got to announce the amount that we raised, which I will announce again. So we raised one hundred and fifty six thousand dollars last year, and so we're excited to top that this year.
Speaker 1: Well, very good. You've set out the challenge, an't you. So let's go eclipse that goal. That'd be a great thing to do, definitely, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And speaking of eclipsing the goal, one of the fun things that Father Leo we do an auction and so it's normally.
Speaker 3: Like teacher experiences, So it's really nice for our kids, like maybe you get to.
Speaker 4: Have lunch with your teacher or go to the movie with your teacher, or do a book study with your teacher.
Speaker 3: It's really special for the kids.
Speaker 4: But Father Leo suggested that we do a dinner with the bishops. So that's going to be really exciting because that's not only going to appeal to our families, but it might appeal to the greater Catholic community and maybe people that are just interested in meeting our bishop.
Speaker 1: And Bishop Conda he's a little fit.
Speaker 5: He could use the deal absolutely all right, now are straightening up a little bit and going, oh, can I have a dinner with Bishop Condoa. Yes, that auction is going to be alive from October twentieth through October twenty fourth, So October twenty fourth is when you're really going to need to get your bidding in and that once you, whoever wins that will get to plan the dinner when they want it, how they want it to go, and the bishop will attend.
Speaker 4: And not only that, Father Leo told us that if we raise just more money than we did last year, just more, he will agree to do a dunk tank. So the kids are going to love that so long it is so odd it is.
Speaker 3: I know that the kids will be really excited, and he.
Speaker 2: Is so fun anyway and fun loving. I bet you he just can't wait to do it.
Speaker 3: I bet you're right.
Speaker 4: He has lots of energy and is bringing that to the Catholic community of Bartesfeldt's.
Speaker 1: Very all right.
Speaker 2: Saint John Catholic School. It's just pretty much right across the street from Saint John before the Latin Gate Catholic Church and then Father Lynch Hall.
Speaker 1: Is part of the school, part.
Speaker 2: In relationship to being built into it, but its own entity of things.
Speaker 1: But wow, it is a beautiful school.
Speaker 2: You've got a nice playground there, nice safe neighborhood, good neighbors and also just a great way of teaching and learning too.
Speaker 3: That's right, We're very blessed.
Speaker 2: Okay, And once again let's give them out the phone number and the website so parents can find out a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: So our phone number is nine one eight three three six zero six zero three and our website is sjcsahokay dot org.
Speaker 1: You'd better than I was. Thank you very much, folks.
Speaker 2: And of course you can catch this on replay on Facebook Live and also you can download the podcast.
Speaker 1: From your favorite source here. In about a half hour, I want to Thank you ladies for coming in.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Alrighty