Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? Lucky?
Speaker 2: In line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 3: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 2: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 1: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling lucky? No, we' just necesary foid. We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of plus semsay details.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun sign up now at chumba Casino dot com No.
Speaker 4: Just Necessary Dad, where every I lost EA terms, neditions eating plus.
Speaker 3: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver. I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever At Chumbuck Casino dot com'p.
Speaker 4: For Just Necessary Dingo where I lost the terms, conditions eating plus.
Speaker 2: With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and editions applying. See website for detail.
Speaker 4: Loop to Radio.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author.
Speaker 6: Dan Zufanski, Good Evening. The case of San Antonio nurse Janine Jones, convicted in nineteen eighty four murdering children in her care and now suspect of having killed as many as sixteen infants, made national headlines A horrifying true life medical thriller. This report, by an editor of Texas Monthly, is written in an understated style that adds to its impact. Despite her dismissal from a hospital post weird medical obsessions, a history of lying in major on the job errors, Jones breezed from one nursing job to the next. The case is intriguing elements a young, ambitious prosecuting da, a naive support of close associate of the Qu' serial killer, a public hospital administration that suspected criminal wrongdoing but failed to notify the police and was later accused of cover up. Elkind, who spares no one, notes with dismay that Jones could be eligible for parole as early as next year. The book that we're featuring this evening is The Death Shift, with my special guest, journalist and author Peter Elkine. Welcome to the program, and thank you for greenness interview. Peter Elkind.
Speaker 4: Very good to be with you, Dan, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Let's get right into this incredible, incredible tale. I think some people know the bigger story, I would say, but not any of the incredible details that you have had incredible access to and bring the reader this which is now a true crime classic. So the question I want to ask you is when did this first come out? Peter, And tell us a little bit about the diversion reissue, tell us a little bit about Death Shift, and sure, what's happening with this classic through crime book?
Speaker 4: Now? Sure? Sure? Well, this is going back a few years when I was actually not even a magazine writer. I was thinking about going to law school. I took a freelance assignment for Texas Monthly magazine about a case that had broken on the I'm the wires, making front page news across the country and the New York Times and elsewhere about a nurse who was suspective of kids under her care. This is in nineteen eighty three, and she was suspected but not indicted or prosecuted at that stage. And I wrote a long magazine article for Texas Monthly and got offered a job and went to work as a journalist and never went to law school, and I now work at Fortune Magazine, going on to other stuff, but I went back as the case proceeded, as she was indicted, convicted, and covered her trials and wrote This book was published in nineteen eighty eight eighty nine, and first hardcover and then paperback, and it was in print for a number of years and then finally out of print, and we've just recently republished it with Diversion Books as an ebook.
Speaker 6: Fantastic. Now, before we introduce the characters in this incredible tragedy, let's talk about important places. The location, so as you talk about in your book, this is a ninth the largest city in the US, San Antonio and one of the poorest cities, as you say, and home to some famous stuff like the Alamo, which is yes, incredible. So tell us a little bit about the rise in population and the importance or the rise in importance of San Antonio, what it ended up being and what it is today. Tell us a little sure, Santonio.
Speaker 4: I mean, Santao is one of the one of America's oldest cities and in a very colorful place, Alamo history being just a piece of it, but for a long time had a pretty rough and tumble legacy, which I talk about in the book. And as I talk about Janine Jones' father, who was a gambler, owned a wild night club, had a really interesting, larger than life story himself, and and I try to tell the story of the city as well as the story of her family. And San Antonio's had a very were in a large poor population, largely Hispanic population, which relied extremely heavily on the charity hospital in town, which was first called Bear County Hospital and then renamed Medical Center Hospital. It was moved from downtown where most of the impoverished population of the city lived near there, and then moved to the affluent suburbs to the north of towntown because the city was eager to see it become a more prestigious institution and attract paying patients. But nonetheless it remained the hospital of last resort where poor, poor residents in San Antonio went for their emergency care and for hospitalization.
Speaker 6: Now, tell us a little bit about Janine Jones and how she came to be with the Jones family. She would tell us about the adoption and her life in this family.
Speaker 4: Sure well, her parents couldn't have kids. Her father's Dick Jones, as I mentioned, it's sort of larger than life, very colorful character in town, ran nightclubs and was a gambler himself once upon a time, and they he and his wife Gladys, adopted three kids, and there was a tragic history there. Janine's younger brother blew himself up with a homemade pipe bomb, her other brother died of cancer, and she even this all contributed to her sense of being a victim and also seeking attention throughout her life. But her dad was a very flamboyant man and sort of in and out of trouble himself over his lifetime, and then passed away and she was left with her mother, with whom she had a very contentious relationship.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I thought was very profuned on and eerily important is that when you say his brother Travis, where her brother Travis uh uh died with the pipe bomb, was her reaction at the grave site. So tell us a little bit about the reaction at the grave site, and which will be important when we talk about this case as it at all.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, she she reacted. She reacted as she did h later as a nurse with great drama, you know, uh burst into tears uh and and later on with kids who died under her care, she would wail and moan and cradle the bodies of kids she cared for and who she may well have contributed to their deaths in a very dramatic fashion. She she cared about She made it appear us that she cared about them more than anybody, even their parents.
Speaker 6: Now, you talk quite a bit about the character of Jannine Jones through all these tragedies that happened, and her father dies at a fairly early age as well, But she had inherited a lot of the characteristics you talk about. Some of the things she inherited was refusal to mince words, very much like her father, and affection for the spotlight. And you talk about the gamblers comfort with risk. So tell us a little bit more about the characteristics of Janine. And and while you're at it too, you also talk describe her her appearance, which is important I think in two and to her her self esteem and and basically some of the behavior that she has when she's young. So tell us a little bit about some of the characteristics behavior.
Speaker 4: Sure, she was. She was a very plain girl. She was unattractive, and she was very conscious of that. And and you know, throughout her life as a child and older, was clamoring for attention and did all sorts of dramatic things to gain attention, including tell elaborate lies about relative who she claimed it relative was a member of a band, and remember the monkeys. As I recall, she told all kinds of tall tales which people were very persuaded of because she was very convincing, but was sort of desperate to get attention. And she did all sorts of things to put herself on the spotlight. And that was true of her as a child.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about her school and that really basically all the reports were that she wasn't a horrible student, but she was uninspired. But there was one area where she really excelled, especially, and so tell us a little bit where she did excel and seemed to come into her own It seemed you.
Speaker 4: Mean in nursing school. Yes, well, I mean, well, initially she actually got involved in her first kind of hospitals as a beautician, and she worked actually as a hospital beautician, and then went back to become a licensed vocational nurse and her special skill as a as an LVN, even though she's less trained than registered nurses, and she was very, very talented at starting ivs, at starting intravenous lines, and particularly when you're a pediatric nurse, starting an IVY is a tricky thing because little kid's veins are so tiny and it takes a lot of skill to uh to start the IVY without sticking the kid three and four and five times, which obviously is difficult with a whiggling child and crying child as well as especially kid who's very sick. So that became, you know, sort of her stocking trade a little bit early on in her nursing career that she could start an iv and and and stick a nurse, stick an ivy and a fly, as one person put it.
Speaker 6: Now, for the people that don't know as well, we kind of skipped the head there, but we do have a lot to cover anyway, we were talking about the LVN. So for those people that don't know the difference between an arien and an lv and why did Janine seem to gravitate towards this one year only course the LVN tell us the sculstances why she wanted to do that?
Speaker 4: Sure, well, she was she was tight on money, and and she wasn't really in a position to go to nursing school for to get a registered nursing degree, which takes a good bit longer of schooling. So she basically wanted to get in and get out. And I don't recall the exact length of the time of the training program, but it's it's much less difficult than much less time consuming than being a registered nurse, but you also have less training. And there's a kind of a bright line in the nursing world between the licensed nurses, the licensed vocational nurses, and the registered nurses. The registered nurses are typically regarded as a cut above because they've had more training, and they rank higher on the totem pole. And she had a chip on her shoulder for all sorts of reasons, and that was just one of them.
Speaker 6: Now let's go back too, because it's important what her behavior is in terms of relationships. She's married right after high school, and then we talk about the children, and then we talk about the stormy relationship that she had with her mother, Gladys, but Gladys ends up being the person that basically rears her kids. So let's go back and talk about her personality and how was she with her own children basically, and while she's becoming this nurse and seems to have found her little niche with this one year course this l VN. Before we start talking about her behavior at work, what was what was it like at home?
Speaker 4: Well, she had a very stormy marriage. She married a fellow named Jim Delaney, and her husband at one point went off to become a sailor, and she while she while he was gone, and she engaged and affairs. She engaged in affairs with friends actually family friends, her husband's friends, and it would boast about her sexual exploits to people she knew and eventually the colleagues at the hospital. So it was a difficult marriage. Her husband wasn't didn't hear much of a living, so she was she was helping bring home the bacon and they had a very stormy relationship and it didn't end very well.
Speaker 6: Now, Dick Jones had done well for himself at one time, and enough to the point where he had made plans that his offspring, his adopted children could live with him, so her and her husband lived on the Jones estates, so which again he didn't work much. So did this helped? And again, what was the role of the mother really early on? And what was the relationship with Janine and her children? How close was she with her daughter and her son? And tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Gladys Gladys. Gladys had her own issues. She had a drinking problem at one point and then stopped drinking. Dick Jones, as I said, had a had a history of being a gambler, was kind of a famous San Antonio gambler, and then insisted that he hadn't gambled for many years, and he was he then had had He was what we'd call now call an entrepreneur, he had a outdoor billboard company. He had a lot of different businesses. He's kind of a wheeler dealer, and Janine loved to hang out with him, and she was she was really he was really the parent who she attached herself to. He loved his sense of drama, his bluntness amid sort of high profile, his h He's a very colorful character, and I think she really tried to model herself after him in a lot of ways. Her mother, who was left at home to take care of the kids, she was less close to, and after her father died, she had a very on again, off again stormy relationship with her, even while her mother took care of Jeanne's two children while Jeanine was working very very long hours in the hospital. After she became a nurse.
Speaker 6: Well, let's talk about her first assignment at the hospital that she first works at. And you can tell us what hospital she works at, and what are these again? What is her characteristics of her behavior there? She's only in LVN and there are registered nurses there, so how does she act despite her lack of training?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, she started out at excuse me, her first job was at Methodist Hospital, private hospital in San Antonio, and she began on her shift that became her favorite, which was a three to eleven shift, and she worked in the cardiac intensive carry unit where she was dealing with a lot of patients with life threatening problems adults but serious medical problems. And she was fired. She was fired after about eight months on the job. There was a performance review that said missus Jones tends to make judgments that she has neither the experience nor authority to make. So she was dismissed, and she later insisted that it was and this was sort of a pattern that you'd see that that developed. One that she would have trouble with her supervisors and her early jobs got fired, and two that she would blame it on everyone else. It was never her fault. She said she had a conflict with a doctor. She said it was a lack of feeling on the physician's part toward a patient and I stood up for the patient and he didn't like it. They asked me to resign. In fact, the hospital records, personnel records which i'd seen, show that it was complaints by a patient that led to her firing. And this again was the pattern that took place time and time again before she got to the County Hospital Medical Center hospital where all these terrible incidents occurred, that she would have problem, She would be insubordinate, and she would blame all her difficulties and someone else, saying that she was just sticking up for the doctors, or sticking up for the patient's excuse me, or that she was pointing out that the doctors were incompetent or had made mistakes. She was always right, they were always wrong. There was never any questioned about it. She also had a very dramatic manner about her. There was another episode that she was written up in the hospital report which described that and this is reading from this, that miss Jones began crying in front of patient as she was reviewing the previous evening's incident. This is an incident involving a patient and after Miss Jones left, patient noticed the nurse notified the nurse complaining of chest pain, nervousness, and high blood pressure. The doctor was notified drugs had to be ordered. Anyway, They conclude that she was insubordinate on professional and ushered her out and again she blamed it on others.
Speaker 6: Now, the most I guess horrifying and surprising thing is is that you talk about the dramatic nursing shortage and just because of administration and lots of the I guess ego, that's evident, but there are other important factors evidence here that would make that when she applies for another job, what is the procedure and what in practicality happens in terms of recommendation or not recommendation from a hospital where she has had a problem, like she's just had well.
Speaker 4: By the time she applied to Medical Center Hospital, which was previously know a Bear Well was Bear County Hospital when she first applied there later became known as Medical Center Hospital, she had already been fired from a couple of jobs in the period of less than a year, but nonetheless they did very little due diligence she applied to She applied to the coronary cure unit at the County Hospital and there wasn't an opening, And then they raised the question of whether she'd be interested in working at pediatrics, and she said yeah, and she went to work and they really didn't check her background at all. And given the nursing shortage, they were eager to hire nurses even if they've had some problems elsewhere, but it doesn't look like they really even investigated what had happened at the other places and why she'd been ushered out.
Speaker 6: Now, to sort of round out her character, she's divorced when she's twenty three, but you include story, an interesting story about when she is pregnant. She claims that it's this person named Keith Martin. So tell us a little bit about a couple of these stories where you're demonstrating something very dramatic about her character.
Speaker 4: Well, there's there is an ambiguity about something which typically isn't very ambiguous, which is who was the father of her child, And it was a mystery to family, and she made claims to her parents, to her mother rather that it was his fellow Keith Martin, who was a friend of hers. Well, Keith Martin later acknowledged to me that he was gay and that he had never been romantically or sexually involved with Jeanne Jones. There were friends, and nonetheless she identified him as the father in order to provide kind of a respectable cover for what was going on. It appears it's my understanding that in fact the father of her child was was her former husband that they'd gotten together and she gotten pregnant, but her mother didn't like the ex husband, so she Janine told a different story, told a lie about who the real father was.
Speaker 6: Now, in nineteen seventy eight, she's at the pediatric Intensive care unit at Bexter County Hospital. You talk about it being a charity hospital near the city's barrio and slum, so tell us a little bit more about what kind of hospital it was and where it really was and the kind of people that really did in practical terms, serve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's actually called Bear County Hospital. It's a tricky pronunciation, but it's it's San Antonio's charity hospital at San Antonio's County Hospital, which is where poor patients go for treatment who can't afford private medical care. And the County Hospital is a hospital where where people go for emergencies typically and for people who again who don't have insurance. So it's it's the folks that are really don't have a choice about where they go for their their medical treatment. San Antonio had a big poor population. It was largely Hispanic. It's a very sort of economically diverse city. It's got an affluent group and it's got a very large impoverished community, and they relied very heavily with the.
Speaker 2: Lucky land slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: This is your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Pay for free at lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 4: Medical care for the County Hospital. At the same time, the County Hospital had ambitions. They wanted to transform its image from the old County Hospital image to that of a sleek, modern medical center, and so it sort of launched a pr campaign and we named itself from Bear County Hospital to Medical Center Hospital. And it also and this is along with a move that it made to the affluent part of town, which was an fortunately far from the population that it was really serving. But it was all part of the effort to change the image of the place. And this place apart is in the hotale because they're so desperate to change the image of the image of the hospital in the community and have avoided any sort of hint of scandal.
Speaker 6: Now, before we get into I just talked about it a little bit, but it's interesting that you have the County Hospital's personnel department routinely sent Janine's former employees employers a written form seeking information about her job performance and her suitability for employment, and apparently the Methodists to a Methodist hospital returned the form. It never did answer any of those questions. Nothing in those records ever indicated she was fired.
Speaker 4: I believe that's correctly. You're stretching my own memory because you on this, but it's clear that the proper tention wasn't paid to the issues that she had at her previous jobs. Again, when she got to when she finally got to Bear County Hospital, which became Medicals Center Hospital, it was john number three for her as a nurse in a period of just about thirteen fourteen months. So that should be a red flag that this is a troublesome, difficult employee who bears extremely close observation. Well, when Janine got to the Bar County Hospital, none of that seemed they seem to pay no attention to that. And even though she did all sorts of things that should have gotten her fired there before any suspicion of her actually harming kids, they weren't paying that kind of attention to her. They didn't get rid of her.
Speaker 6: Now she meets a person that's very, very helpful throughout her next bit of her nursing career, and that's a head nurse named Pat Belco. So tell us about why how she can be sort of abrasive to a lot of people, and then you chronicle that in the book, but with other people, she's just seems to be endearing. And also, what are some of the kinds of things that we're talking about in fractions before we get to you know, way beyond infractions murder. But what are the kind of infractions that that Janine Jones is known for.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Well, first, let me let me tell you about her, you know, kind of her personality and her relationship with Pat Belco. Janine had a real ability. Janie was a very polarizing force. There were some people that found her compelling and magnetic and I thought she was a fabulous nurse. And she basically who she basically who went for her sales job in terms of, uh, you know, how passionately she cared for the kids who were impressed with her, a sort of technical skill at starting an IV who didn't mind that she was you know, coarse, talked about sex the job, bad mouthed doctors, offered opinions about everything they found that kind of you know, fascinating and compelling, and and and and went for it. And and pet Belco, the head nurse in the i c U, who's a critical figure kind of a bureaucratic administrator in the in the unit, became a Jeanine Jones fan. Thought she was a really good nurse and was very very protective of her and defended her time and time again, even when she she was insubordinate or engaged in incidents and was reported for doing all kinds of things that she shouldn't have done. And one of the the reasons that Belco was, uh was protective of her was that Belco had an incident in her own earlier nursing career when she had been accused of of things and felt like she had been she had made a mistake, and she felt like she was wrongly maligned, wrongly blamed for the death of a child. So she would become very protective of her because she identified with her and had this experience herself. So anyway, that's uh, that's a big factor as things moved forward, that she had hovering over her, protecting her. The head nurse in the unit, who was very dismissive of the growing suspicions about Jeanine Jones.
Speaker 6: Now there's a myriad of incidents that happened slowly but surely, and you you chronicle them in the book. There's a doctor Debbie Rash, but incidents like she's found Jones with a syringe and then Jones starts as Janine starts making predictions of imminent death to people. And you cite an example where she tells the parents that the child is dead. The parents rushed to the hospital and the child's alive. Maybe you can explain a story like that.
Speaker 4: Sure, well, this is this The child involves a child named Chris Ogaida and he was very sick. And by the way, Gene Jones is working in the pediatrical intensive crying it. So this is a closed area areas about the size of a garage where there's just a handful of kids eight or ten or twelve. I'm that's what the exact census was. It varied from time to time. But these kids are all sick. They're not newborns, but they're kids who have left the hospital after being born and come back and they've got serious medical problems and require intensive care. So there's the pediac and pediatric intensive currying it. And this little boy, Chris Ogada, was barely a year old, had been in the hospital a lot after his birth. He had a bad heart defect, and then he came into the hospital with pneumonia and diarrhea, developed hepatitis. He had a bad infection. And the parents who lived fairly far away, and San Antonio served indigen patients, families lived from quite a distance. They covered a big territory. The hogate Is in fact lived in a town called Saint Angel which was two hundred miles away, and they'd taken their son to Bear County Hospital because it was the best hospital within that anywhere around which they could afford, which they could send their kid to because it was the county hospital anyway. So the Gates had gone home because they couldn't stay there while their child was in the hospital for a long time, mister, they had to work and earn a living. And one day, Jeanine Jones calls Jeanine Jones, who was Christopher's nurse, and says he's gone. Credit by Christopher. He said he's gone to play with the angels and the family, which, of course heartbroke, and the parents gathered the clothes they wanted to bury their baby in. The mom had crocheted a special blanket. They get in their car, they drive two hundred miles to San Antonio. They walk into the ICU to claim their child's body. And and they walked through the ICU and and Christopher is alive. He's sitting in the ICU bed. He's hooked up to machines. Everything was just as it had been for months. And after they've been told they've gone to play with the angel, says Jeanine put it so, you know, they were shocked, and they asked for Jeanine, and Jeanine had gone home by then, so, uh, you know, this very strange episode took place. And and then Janine continues to uh time and time again as the nurses gather for their you know, nightly meetings between shifts, predicts that Christopher Hogate is going to die, says tonight's the night. And then there's another episode, uh, when Jeanine had left Christopher Hoogate's bedrails down, and this baby who's who's got respirator tubing down his road and he's got arm restraints in a hard condition, rolls out of his bed and is hanging by these restraints because she left the bedrails down. Anyway, it's sort of time and time again. There were these nightmarish episodes and and finally Chris Agated dies of cardiac arrest a week later, once again under Jeene Jones's care. Anyway, Uh I, if that weren't bad enough, you know Janine Jones, then is you know, mourning his body, wraps his wraps mourning his death, wraps the baby in a blanket, and holds the dead child, the corpse to her chest for an hour, rocking back and forth and wailing, waiting for the parents to write. So that's just one episode of many involving Jeanine Jones and the care of kids. Bizarre and troubling to the least, But yet the parents thought Janine Jones was was a carry nurse and invect invited invited Jane Jones to tendest funeral.
Speaker 6: He also very profound part of the book is that you say that there are for the bigger children, they put them again. They had a name for it, a cold plate by the metal table. But if the child was small, they could carry the child right down to the morgue. Now there was a lot of people that could do this, but tell us about Janine's obsession with doing this and the scene that you set in the book of her walking to the morgue with a child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean the typical procedure for doing this after a child died was to wheel the child down to the morgue in a stretcher, but that wasn't what Jane was John trying to do. Instead, she typically wanted to show her compassion and anguish over the child's death, even though she was the one treating the child, and hindsight uh played played a part in some of these deaths, in a frightening number of deaths, and she would take the baby, the baby's body and personally carry down to the morgue. And there was one point one episode where family wanted to cradle the baby after the child had died and say goodbye, and she insisted the child had to go down to the bard immediately. And she basically grabbed the grabbed the child's body and ran down the hospital, ran down the hospital corder with the baby with a hospital with a family in pursuit, and and took the baby down to the morgue in this incredibly bizarre scene.
Speaker 6: Now she lived with her mother, even though again there was a stormy relationship Uh, and then there was times when she did have custody of her children. But what was at this very time, what was the relationship with her children and what was the relationship their mother, this very caring person that was overly emotional over other people's children, what was the situation with their own children and their own mother.
Speaker 4: Well, she was very cold with her mother. She was kind of an ingrate, even though her mother was uh a full time babysitter for for her kids. Her mother also had a very difficult time with her. With Jeanine's son who's rebelling, she favored Jeanine's daughter and Uh, but the boy had a had a very difficult relationship with with his grandmother and Janine. Janine also had started to display a pattern where she was bringing her kids in for for medical treatment for problems, for an array of problems that when they were examined UH doctors couldn't couldn't identify, they didn't see what was wrong with the kids. But she seemed to relish having her children being treated in in UH by doctors and in hospital situations.
Speaker 6: Didn't she at some point, if not around this time, to be struck apparently with illnesses that were again not found by doctors once they exist.
Speaker 4: Yes, she did, indeed, and and this is this is part of a phenomenon which, you know, the pattern unfolded very dramatically of something called and it applied both to her children, herself and her patients in different ways. That's something called Munchausen syndrome and then Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Munchausen syndrome is a situation where people enjoy being the center of attention in a medical situation and get excitement or attracted to having medical procedures done on them UH performed in them, and they appear at the hospital regularly with complaints of serious medical problems that doctors, after examining them can't can't identify, can't find so they come in with compliance, I have high fever. The doctors take their temperature and they can't find any fever. And they actually sometimes induce high fever by you know, putting hot compresses on their bodies or or cause medical problems, induce medical symptoms artificially so that they'll be admitted to hospitals and have procedures done on them. That's that's Munchhausen syndrome. There's also a sort of uh second aspect of this called Munchausen syndrome by proxy, where you uh cause medical problems on people that you're caring for, either your own children or or in the case of Jeanine Jones, patience and again makes you the center of attention. Genie Jones herself presented in the hospital repeatedly with all sorts of medical problems that also to medical complaints that prompted the doctors who work with her in the hospital to send her for a psychiatric consult and a psychiatric console came back and said, you know, I see no evidence of this. I can't come to any other conclusion but that this is a psychosomatic that it's made up.
Speaker 6: Now let's get to some of the very very disturbing behavior. And because it goes on for quite a while, as we alluded to, Rosemary Vega a couple of years old, Placida Yubara is four months. It seems like there's malfunctioning equipment sited. But everybody concludes that there's just too many babies dying and nine CPR, as you say, in August nineteen eighty one, thirteen in September, and they're all dying on this three to eleven on one nurse's shift. Now there are even people in this hospital stuff calling Janine's hours on duty the death shift. Isn't that correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, no, that's right. I mean this pattern grew over time in the in the PAS contentsive care unit where kids under her tear. Well, let me back up a step. Kids are in the hospital would do fine, you know, they came in sick, but they were making progress, and they would improve on the day shift, they'd improve on the overnight shift. But when Jeanine Jones came on duty, they'd suddenly have a reversal, They have some sudden medical emergency, and then in too many cases, in a trumbling number of cases, they would suffer an arrest, which is an incredibly dramatic event when they require a crash card and where their heart stop beating, or where they're suffering a life threatening episode where everyone has to they call a code and they and they have to resuscitate them. And this pattern was was quite significant in fact, later on, when this was eventually belatedly investigated by experts in the Centers for Disease Control who investigate epidemics, they basically explored this as a possible epidemic of what was going on in the ICU, and they found statistically that kids under Jeanine Jones's care were twenty five times as likely to suffer an arrest as they were under any other nurse, and under her care there were ten times as likely to die on a shift when she worked. So there was a very dramatic pattern, and nobody had the statistics at that point, but there were nurses that noted the pattern, and they actually went to Pat Delco, went to the supervisors of the hospital and said, too many kids are dying under her. Something is going on. You need to investigate.
Speaker 6: Yes, you talk about some brave souls like Susannah mauld and I though she came forward, and Belco was a real supporter of Janine and said, either you know, you bring some real dramatic events or shut up. But Maldonado was looking. She was pouring over all the notes and making a death list, and tell us what happens with the first there's a first discovery of a drug overdose or too much drug administered, and that drug is heparine, So tell us what happening is and why? Tell us about the significance of this discovery and what exactly happened.
Speaker 4: Sure, this is a case. There were a number of cases where Jeanine's patients had problems. They would have emergencies of various kinds. They would stop breathing, but one of the patterns that existed was that they would suddenly have bleeding episodes. They would bleed out of their mouths, they would bleed out of their rectums, they would bleed uncontrollably from all the poorest and tissues in their body. And there's a there's a medical condition for a really sick infected kid which can cause this, and Jane would always blame it on that, but these kids didn't have those kinds. It's called disseminated dravasca coagulation or d i C. But these kids didn't didn't seem to have that kind of infection and they didn't show the signs of that really being the case, but they they'd have these bleeding episodes. So there's one child named Orlando Santos who was sick and in the i c U. And Orlando Santos had this recurrence whenever Jeanine Jones was on duty of bleeding problems. And he wouldn't have these problems when other nurses were taking care of taking care of him, but he just had them when Jeanine was on duty and and he had come in with pneumonia to the hospital. U uh, he had been improving for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 4: This pattern was so troubling that one of the doctors, one of the attending doctors of the faculty at the medical school who was treating kids in the i c U, began to wonder if somebody was giving Rolando Santo's drugs and he uh so time and time again this happened. So finally the doctor suspected that there was that the child is getting an overdose of heprin. Heprin is a is a blood thinner and it's used medically to deal with blood clots and you put a little bit of an I V to avoid clotting. But in this case, there was no reason for Rolando to have any substantial amotter of hepron. And and ultimately what UH doctors doctor Copeland did was because he suspected that that the baby was getting an excessive out of hepron, he ordered all hepron discontinued from Milando Santos. In fact, I ordered all the hepron removed from the room where the child is being treated. Anyway, despite all this, despite all this, Rolando Santos starts bleeding again. And this happens when Jeanine Jones is on duty and she identifies the problem, which gets worse into the evening and he's having blood leaking out of his body. I described as being like a water balloon filled with needle holes. That blood is pouring out. And the doctor, who is desperate because this kid's about to die, he's going to he fell into a calma. They were about to lose him. His blood pressure was dropping. So the doctor does something really dramatic. He gives Rolando Santos a drug called protamine sulfate, which is a drug he used to reverse the effects of hepron and protamine. This drug can harm a kid who hadn't gotten hepron. But you know, this doctor was pretty convinced that something was going on, couldn't think of anything else to do, so he gives Lewando hantas a big, big dose of protamine through an IV and three actually three doses, and finally it stops the bleeding very abruptly, which was proof, absolute proof that he had gotten an overdose of hebron. So at that point, doctor Coplan, believing that you know, somebody's deliberately giving Rolando Santos hepron, namely Jeanine Jones, he orders the baby transferred out of the ICU, even though he's really sick still, but just doesn't want him anywhere near Jeanine Jones and basically plays guards at the baby's at the baby's room so nothing further can happen. And you know, lo and and behold, five days later, this baby is well enough to go home.
Speaker 6: Now we've got to get through to the incredible that conclusion here that there are enough people that are suspicious here, so an investigation is called and you have various characters. There's a Patricia ALBERTI, uh really thinks Janine is a killer and uh, and but.
Speaker 4: You also have some actually actually yeah and actually actually confides to her psychiatrist that Jane tells her psychiatrists, I think Janine Jones is killing babies.
Speaker 6: Exactly. And you have Jim Robathum and Jim Robotham Robotham, he's concerned. And you have other people, uh, you know, upper officials. There's Korum, John Guest, There's a nurse, Virginia Musseau. So there's a lot of people and they have this. They get together and and and uh, they're looking at this, they're investigating this. So in a nutshell, what happens from that investigation, in.
Speaker 4: A nutshell not enough. What happens is they have direct accusations from nurses, from doctors, and and plenty of anecdotal evidence that Janine Jones has harmed me kids. In the faith of that, but in the absence of absolute proof, they decide to tell no one. They decide that they refuse to call the DA, they refuse to call in investigators outside investigators. They want to keep it all quiet instead. Ultimately, after several rounds of discussions, they bring in an outside committee of experts secretly, and they say that the outside committee of medical experts is there to investigate the level of care in the ICU. These are doctors from hospital, very very esteemed hospital in Philadelphia, in Toronto and another hospital to investigate the matter. And those doctors recognize that something is going on, but again don't feel like they have absolute proof. So what ends up happening is the hospital administrators, the medical school administrators decide they've got to get rid of Jeanine Jones. But they don't want to tell the police. They don't want to tell prosecutors, they don't want to scandal or lawsuits. So what they do is they recommend and decide to upgrade the intensive curry in it to all registered nurses and get rid of all the licensed vocational nurses, including Jeanine Jones, under that pretext, So four or five nurses lose their jobs for no reason. Janine Jones is going to be removed, but all of them are sent off. Jeanine Jones isn't sent off with warning to anybody who might hire. All of them are sent off, including Jeanine Jones, with good recommendations and explain that they that they're removed only because the ICU is being upgraded to a higher level of medical care with only registered nurses. So they've kept the whole thing secret, even though they the committee itself, as part of a confidential part of its report, identified Jeanine Jones.
Speaker 2: As the problem.
Speaker 6: Now all of this too, we mentioned in the opening. There was never any consultation with police at all. There was never even any talk at that point at all of any consultation with police or any law officials whatsoever.
Speaker 4: Was there. Well, they discussed it, I mean, they overtly discussed the possibility of doing that, but they actually conferred with the hospital's lawyer, and his recommendation was, in the absence of proof, you should say nothing, and they accepted that recommendation. By the way, that's only Laurier's recommendation. It's not the right thing to do, obviously, it was very much the wrong thing to do, but that's the course they followed, despite repeated examples of kids being harmed, despite specific accusations. You know, they're not in the business of investigating crime, and yet they refused to turn it over to those who were to look into whether something terrible was happening. Instead, they get rid of Jeane Jones, They wash their hands of her, and they send her off with a good recommendation where she and the tragedy is. She then goes off elsewhere, specifically to the hill country town of Curville in a rural pediatric clinic, and harms workhads and murders another one.
Speaker 6: Now, tell us about the very strange relationship and very important relationship of Kathleen Holland and Jeanine Jones. How does the how does Kathleen come to employ Janine and also not have any inkling of her? You would think by this time, well maybe the first two times it would be glossed over, but you would think by the third time you already said it in essence, got a recommendation from Belcohen, was so despite everything. But tell us how a little bit about Kathleen Holland and her trusting nature and and what it is she sets out to do and happens when she meets Janine Jones.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, Well, Kathleen Holland is a resident at Bear County Hospital. She's a doctrine training and she finishes her residency there and she is there at the time when there are all these suspicions swirling around Janine. She's aware of them. She's heard them from nurses, she's heard of them from doctors, but she's dismissive of them. She's she had had kind of a rough child to herself.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 4: Very defensive about any criticism of herself of and just decided that Janine was being unfairly treated. She was one of those in this in this polarized environment who was on Jeanine's side and was very protective and defensive of her. But she had heard all of the suspicions about her and rejected them. So then when she at the time when Jeanine Jones is about the time in Jeanine Jones is being tossed out with a good recommendation from the hospital. Kathy Holland is setting up a private pediatric clinic after finishing her residency in a small town about sixty miles from San Antonio called Kerrville, a rural area which has mostly elderly population but a growing population of younger adults with kids. And she sets up a new pediatric practice there. And who does she designed to hire his her nurse, her office nurse, but Jeanine Jones. She just didn't buy into the the accusation surrounding her and brings her aboard as her office nurse.
Speaker 6: Now, let's talk about a very important drug and I'll try to pronounce this properly since then ole cult and this drug, what is its characteristic? What's its main thing?
Speaker 4: That it's it's known for sure, it needed a pretty good job. It's called seximal coline, and it's a drug that leaves you paralyzed but conscious. And it's used typically in an operating room, a very controlled environment where uh, you know, you have respirators, you have a large staff ready, everything is very stable and you and very controlled, and you use it to as you're in anesthesiologist typically on the scene and administering it. And it's used to paralyze someone, but uh, in order to insert a breathing tube. And it's used routinely for surgery because you need in sort of breathing tube for for many medical many surgical procedures. But if you think about it, your you're you're complete, you're paralyzed, but you're completely conscious. You can't breathe for yourself, and and so you have to be in a situation where someone or a machine can breathe for you while you're being operated on or whatever's being done. So that sucks on a coline. It's used rarely outside of an operating room setting, but Kathy Holland had it in her office and it becomes a critical element. And what happens next.
Speaker 6: Now, Kathy Holland, this is her dream to do this her private practice, and she is recommended to come to this area and it was under service, we'll say, in terms of pediatricians. So people in the area that we had newborns or people with children period, were pretty excited that this woman was going to be coming in. It seemed to be highly respected. They were excited about the whole.
Speaker 4: Thing, fresh cutting edge kind of experience. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and so and with her was her her right hand person. It was Janine Jones, this trusted nurse that she figured really had what the kind of characteristics she needed. And it's very tough. She could do that IV thing that was seemed to be tough for a lot of people. So and she's and she had total confidence in this woman. So Chelsea Ann McLellan, her mother is petty, yes, and and her husband is read and they bring in. They first bring in her to see Kathy Holland, and of course Janine Joan is around, so tell us about that very first experience. He just comes in with a bad cold. But tell us what happens on that very first appearance in Kathy Holland's Sure.
Speaker 4: Well. Janine Chelsea Chelsea McLellan was was one of Kathy Holland's first patients. And the Blowens were young, young parents. They lived about fifteen miles outside of town. Very charming, nice people, you know, sort of country folk, and her dad was a meter reader.
Speaker 3: And uh uh.
Speaker 4: Chelsea came in too to doctor Holland's office on the second day. She was in private practice and she basically had sniffles, and Janine Joan, you know, she's been examined. Jeanine Jones takes her in the other room, and the next thing anyone knows is Jeanine Jones is saying, don't go to sleep, baby, Chelsea, wake up, and summons doctor Holland into the other room in the clinic and they find Chelsea limp on the examining table and Jeanine's putting an oxygen mask over her face, and she stopped breathing and she's rushed immediately. They call a ambulance and she's rushed immediately to the hospital which is just a few miles away, and she's completely limp and it's totally unclear what happened. Chelsea stops and starts breathing again on her own after they breathe for her for a while. But as far as as mccollins are concerned, doctor Holland and Jeanine Jones have saved Chelsea's life. She had some sort of emergency. They don't understand what happened, but she recovered from it, and the doctor and the nurse are heroes. And that's the first visit by Chelsea McClellan into doctor Holmes clinic.
Speaker 6: Now we can't go into everything, but there is again it looks like there should be some signs. Kathy Holland should be suspicious, but of course, especially at this point, not at all, not whatsoever. And the same family brings there is scheduled to have their son come in, but they say bring Chelsea again and tell us what the premise is to bring her in again, and then what happens at this next time they're at the in.
Speaker 4: The sure sure this is a couple of weeks later and Chelsea Petty. Petty brings in Chelsea with with her son Cameron, Camera's got the flu. The doctor Holland had asked that they bring in Chelsea as well for a for a quick check up after the previous episode that she had, and while he's in there, they decided to go ahead and give her her baby shots, two shots which doctor Holland ordered, so Janine is the one who's going to administer them. She prepares the needles and she injects Chelsea in the thighs with the first shot, and suddenly Chelsea seems to have stop trouble breathing after the first injection is going in and Patty mclaum says, stop, do something. She's having another seizure. She's stopping breathing, and Janine says, no, no, it's okay and goes ahead and gives her the second shot in the thigh and by the time she pulls a syringe out, Chelsea stop breathing completely again, so they call the ambulance. She's limp, she isn't breathing. They rush her to the hospital in Currville. She's still in bad shape. She's then they plan to transport her from Currville to San Antonio, and everyone sort of piles into a Karen Man of of ambulance cars on the way to for the for the the trip from Kerville to San Antonio to bring her to the hospital there. And although Chelsea had gotten better, uh for a time, on the way there, she stops breathing again, and they pull over to a tiny hospital on the way try to resuscitate her, and and she does, and Chelsea passed away. Jeanine Jones is Jeanine Jones is with her the whole time, and she's under Jeanine's care. And by the way, when she you know, they're paramedics in there too, and they comment on Jeanine's strange behavior that you know, Chelsea arrests and Jeans has pulled this son of a bitch over and says she's flat lined, and this whole emergency unfolds, and Chelsea does at the age of fifteen months. But the bigger gamesoun sorry, go ahead, go ahead, I was going to tell you just so, the bigger picture is, you know, Chelsea had two episodes in a period of a couple of weeks, but literally, what's going on in Doctor Holland's office is in the period of a month, eight kids walking there with typical office problems. They have colds or sniffles or need shots or I mean, these are not kids going into an emergent, to an emergency room or to a ICU. These are kids going into a doctor's piatric clinic for routine stuff. And eight kids have nine separate episodes where they stop breathing and are rushed to the hospital in Kerrville, which you know, typically we'll see one or two emergency kid emergencies in a year, that's in a life threading basis. And here they're having eight, uh you know, eight kids who stop breathing in a month from a single doctor's office. It's just it's just mind boggling. I mean, it's only at the very end of this that doctor Holland becomes concerned and rights and and and and seems and after she's confronted with this pattern by the hospital and the doctors at the hospital and acknowledgism, begins to consider whether something is going on in her office.
Speaker 6: The thing is, though, by the time that she finally you know, the enough people tell her that there's something going on, and she realizes she is also a suspect in this because she's been so supportive of Janine Jones all this time.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely, she's made she's offered explanations for everything that's happened. You know, maybe this kid is meningitis, maybe this kid has pneumonia, maybe she's she's she's got this mentality that, you know, there's an explanation for every emergency, and it's completely dismissive that that there's no good explanation for what's going on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: To muddy the water's further, there's a relationship over and beyond the friendly, supportive relationship at work, So tell us a little bit about that and what some people think might be going on there as well.
Speaker 4: Sure, well, doctor Holland and Jeanine were very close, and doctor Holland is married at this time to an older man, and he's building a new house for them about thirty miles fifteen or twenty miles away from Currville and is often spending the night on the construction site. So doctor Holland is during this period, so she's close to a clinic has rented or purchased, I've forgotten which a house in Currville where she's allowing Jeanine to stay, and Janine is staying there, and another nurse who is very close to Janine in San Antonio, part of her circle, named Debbie sultan Thus, who's working at the hospital, is staying there as well. And doctor Holland stays there. So in the community of Currville, which is a very conservative place, you know, there's all the sort of rumors that there's a sort of den of lesbians there. There's no indication that that's what was going on, but but they do have a very close relationship and assortment of ways. You know, they they're spending time at at night together, you know, messing around with the Ouiji boards, and you know, have a very close personal relationship in addition the professional one, which you know certainly contributes, you'd think to doctor Holland being as blind as she was to what was going on.
Speaker 6: Now we there's all kinds of little things that that are adding up to There's Holland finds a bottle of drugs, and then then there's an actual bottle found, but when it's tested it's one sixth the strength, So somebody has been replacing it and diluting it and using it there's we talked about the ambitious DA. We talk about there's a doctor Dwayne Packard, you become suspicious after Missy reich reichenow Is dies. There's a doctor Bradley us as well an these theologists. Uh so tell us about some of the people that verge that that that gather together to be become suspicious before we get to the prosecution.
Speaker 4: Of ensuring Well, well, Misty didn't die, she got she stopped breathing. She was one of those kids that stopped breathing in Kurville. But but but this is the this is the period when uh you know this all when when it's brought to a to a to a stop. What happens is the the doctors in the Kerville hospital are extremely suspicious of what's going on. They're examining the kids as they the last few kids as they come into the emergency room to wonder, you know, to to see what's going on, to see what try to figure out what's happening here with these kids who stop breathing in a pediatric clinic and are being rushed into the emergency room. And at one point, as an anesthesiologist, they make a point of an anesthesiologist are there, uh to watch what's happening. And the anesthesiologist who deals with sexual colin all the time, watches one of the babies. I believe it was Misty Uh coming starting to move after being paralyzed previously and not breathing, and her she has kind of jerk emotions and it occurs to him because he's seen this many times. This is what a kid looks like when they're coming out from under the effects of sexual coling. He's an anesthesiologist. He deals with that drug all the time, and he reports back to the dean of the medical community, an older doctor I believe he's in the seventies at that point, named doctor Packard, and they smell a rat and they get together and they and they bring in doctor Holland and they say, what do you think is going on? They ask her questions and they ask her do you have suximal coling in your office? And she says, yes, I do. I use it to in debate if I have an emergency and I need to intubate a kid to put a breathing tube, and I have it there to make it possible to put the breathing tube down, to keep the kid from struggling against the tube. After this all happens this inquiry, the doctors have decided decide afterwards to suspend doctor Holland's privileges. Doctor Holland goes back to a clinic and she checks her little bottle as stuck on the coline and Janine had previously said it had been lost, but then said she'd found it and ordered more of it. And she inspects the bottle and the bottle is full, but then she looks at the top of the bottle and it's got syringe holes on the top, so something strange is going on. It later gets tested, it turns out that it was diluted. It was five to six saline solution. So someone presumedly Jeanine Jones, clearly Jeanine Jones, had used the drug when it never should have been used, never was authorized to be used or ordered by the doctor, and then to make it appear as though it had never been used, she filled it with saline solution, so that that said. Doctor Holland sees that and and uh and freaks out confronts Jeanine Jones. All sorts of strange things happened then, including Janine through making a half hearted suicide attempt to sort of dramatically announcing that she's leaving, leaving what appears to be a suicide note in assisting she's she's she's take an overdose of drugs, although it appears she didn't really take anything that would potentially kill her. And uh, and doctor Hollin's privileges are suspended. They're treating no more children, and an investigation has finally begun in Kerrville. And by the way, all this time, the people the doctor san Antonio are learning, uh that there's bad stuff going on involving Kathy Holland and Jeanine Jones and Kerrville, and still they don't come forward. In fact, they have a committee meeting where they're hearing about this and they're said that if asked about it, they should all maintain a judicious silence instead of telling the authorities about what's going on. So at this point, yeah, so at this point, at this point, the investigation finally begins, after all these kids are hurt, after some you know, kids are killed, you know, all this pain continues for so long.
Speaker 6: You know, it's interesting too, is just and then this what's you know, nonfiction just Trump's fiction incredibly is that when you get this person that you've drawn this incredible portrait of this little Chelsea's death and then it's deemed in this crazy story as SIDS, so some infant death syndrome, you know, so very very interesting that the same reasons why these hospitals are trying to have this judicial silence UH and their lawyer can't advise advise them, and it's it's problematic always is that prosecution is not that easy as well, because we're talking about circumstantial evidence, and you also talk about that the babysitter comes forward and looks like it's very promising to testify that she actually witnessed Jannine Jones administer these lethal doses of drugs, and then they realize that she's a very very poor witness. Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was an incredibly difficult case to prosecute, both in Kurville and especially in San Antonio, where the kids were sick to very sick to begin with, and where there's so many medical medical personnel who are having contact with the kids. There's lots of nurses and doctors who are treating the kids in the pediatric ICU, so it's hard to pin pin it on Jeanine Jones. To prove that babies were murdered and to prove that she did it. There's very strong, circumstantial evidence, there's an incredibly troubling pattern, but it's hard to prove one single murder on her. To prove that she, you know, there's a smoking gun basically where smoke and syringe as they came to call it. In Currville, it was difficult too, because again, you still have the pattern. I mean, it's it's an improbable, impossible pattern, but you don't have proof that she injected the drug, or at least we didn't think we could get that. So the investigation proceeds on two tracks. When when it's finally revealed that the stuff had been going on in San Antonio, there's a there's a big city prosecutor who's conducting a big investigation of what's happening in the county hospital in San Antonio, and there's a rural prosecutor named Ron Sutton who's conducting investigation of what happened in Cerrville. They're on parallel tracks. They're cooperating with each other, really struggling to come up with a case. And in San Antonio, despite sifting to an enormous amount of information and conveniing ad ran jury in Kerrville. They are trying to trying to find out whether there's a way to prove that sexual coaling was was used that change to use sexal m colin, and they the drug had long been thought to be the perfect murder weapon for doctors, and just recently, not long before they suddenly discovered the doctor the prosecutor around Sutton discovered that there was a new test that had been pioneered in Sweden to detect the presence of sex and m coline and embalmed body tissue. So once he discovered this, he got a permission in a court order and had Chelsea mccllin's body xhoomed and took tissue samples with the help of medical experts in the US, had them packed an ice and had them frozen and sent off for testing by this doctor in Sweden. Very claimed steam doctor and lo and behold, it comes back positive for the presence of sexal coline from the tissue taken from Chelsea McClellan's legs where she got those baby shots from Jeanine Jones. And that was the critical piece of evidence that kind of nailed the case and legend Jennie Jones's murder, indictment and ultimately her conviction.
Speaker 6: Now, how big a story was this in Texas? Well, we can we can guess, But how big was this story nationally? And how big a story was this internationally, especially at that time? This was quite an unusual story at that time, wasn't it? It was?
Speaker 4: It was indeed, I mean, this is, on its face, is you know, the most improbable situations. You have a nurse. I mean, it's every parent's worst nightmare. And you have a nurse who's sworn to care for kids who's deliberately harming them, killing them in a in a medical setting. I mean, it's chilling in every way imaginable. You have a serial killer baby nurse. And sensational of course too. And so when it first broke that she was even under suspicion of this, that there were and there was an investigation of of deaths in the county hospital, it was front page news, front page news in New York Times and the US, the country and and overseas some and and it remained a big story through her trial. When I wrote my book we published editions in uh in England, and I think we had one other international edition, but it was a in there. There's a TV movie made, there was a It's been featured on a number of true crime series, documentary series. It's a story that's, you know, that's gotten a lot of attention for good reason, which is because it's so compelling, and and and and because it's about more than just a crazy nurse. I mean, as horrible as what Janeane Jones did, but to me made the story really worthy of a book was the bigger picture of the medical officials who had made all this possible honestly, who had failed a stopp her, who had not done the right thing, who had made terrible mistakes that let her go to Kerrville and harm more kids and murder Chelsea McLellan. You know, the tale of a sort of insight into the medical bureaucracy, how it failed to operate properly and protect kids who you know, whose business it was to protect.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 4: That's what made this whole tale all the more chilling.
Speaker 6: Now, to keep in line with that, the more shocking aspect of it is not just one person's murderous behavior, but the seemingly uncaring system in practicality because of the bureaucracy itself. Has there been any significant changes as a result of this.
Speaker 4: Well, there were some, not as many as a lot of people felt there should be. I mean, there was very serious consideration given in San Antonio to indicting the hospital district, or the medical school or the individuals that ran as institutions for their failure to act basically as you know, sort of us series of the crime that it's not a formal charge, but it's what it essentially amounts to. But ultimately the DA just Sam millsapp decided not to do that. That just wouldn't it. There was no good to come of that. And it was also partly because by that time, and by the way, this was hotly debated within his staff, there was no There were recommendations by a prosecutor who was kind of a line guy on the case saying we should do this, and the chief investigator in the case said we should do this, and ultimately he decided not to do it. And part of the reason was that as sort of wink wink deal the UH, some of the prosecutors in the office had one of the prosecutors in the office. A senior man, one of milstap's top deputies, had made clear to the hospital administrator that he needed to cut everybody loose, who had to fire everybody who had been involved in this and whose hands were unclean and lo and behold after you know. That message was delivered not long after. This senior prosecutor was vacationing in Mexico. As I recalled, Gus got a message on vacation that all the top officials who had been involved in protecting Janeine John's or who had not not responded the way they should, had either resigned or been fired. And this, uh, they they have and the need to do this was communicated with the new hospital administrator, John Guest, and uh, this prosecutor had said said to him, he said, you need to do this, he said, you know, he said, sometimes a man's going to do what a man's got to do. And this the deputy DA was in Mexico and I got a messag from his office and said, I don't know what this means. The message was, I don't know what this means, but all these people got fired. And you got this message from John Guests saying a man's got to day, what a man's got to do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, was there any changes, because I know it would seem odd to most people, including myself, with this person after one year, can you know or serve someone else's authority and be injecting drugs into people potentially killing them, whether it's a mistake or it's intentional. But without this training and without doctors orders, has there been any changes in terms of whose responsibility or who is more responsible for the administration of these drugs.
Speaker 4: I think they've you know, I don't know what's happening today. This is many years later. I do think there was tighter supervision imposed. I think there was. I mean, Lord knows that this isn't a consciousness or anything experience. I don't know what is for everyone in the community, everyone with an airship, especially people and hospital and I think they but you know, we're much more responsive to any any hint of a problem going forward. But I don't know explicitly what they did to uh to restrict access to medications. I mean, the reality is doctors and nurses are dealing with very powerful drugs, They're dealing with very sick kids. They are in a position to make a difference between life and death. And you know, the vast majority of the time they're helping kids, they're trying to save kids desperately. That's what they've dedicated their lives to doing. The case of a in the episode of a nurse who's who's harming kids is just so mind boggling because it's exactly the opposite of what they're there to do and what they've dedicated Nurses and doctors dedicate their lives to do. Most of them are are doing everything they can to preserve lives, not end it. And and so uh, you know, the kids, those kids are so vulnerable, and they're they're incredibly vulnerable. Someone who's you know, who's got access to drugs, who's responsible for their medical care, and is trying to do the opposite of what they're supposed to do. Now what, it's something, it's something, it's it's just it's just something you can't regulate away. You have to, you know, supervise people like this stop from immediately. If there's any concern about that happening, investigate it. You know, you can't you can't set up a structure, you can't restrict use of drugs. I you know completely. You have to track it and see if something's been used in properly, but it's it's hard to set procedures to keep it from happening.
Speaker 6: Now, what did janine? What was her response after being sentenced? Finally, what was her position? What was her what would she claim? What did she have to say?
Speaker 4: I interviewed her several times. I interviewed her when she was under suspicion but had not yet been indicted. I interviewed interviewed her in prison after she'd been convened, and her position in this was the same all the way through it. She was absolutely defiant. She was absolutely insistent she hadn't done anything wrong. She was fighting for the kids. She was an advocate for the children. She was their best friend, you know, she loved the babies. She it was the doctors who had made mistakes, and she went down just offered a litany of errors. If this doctor did this to this kid, this doctor did that, this doctor was incompetent, that doctor was having an affair with somebody. I mean, it's all manner of ad hominem, very specific attacks on everyone else, blaming them for what had happened, and accepting the responsibility at all for anything she had done.
Speaker 6: How did she stand up during cross examination?
Speaker 4: She she didn't. She didn't because she never took the stand. Actually, her lawyers were trying to were weighing whether to have her testifying, and she apparently wanted to testify, and she could have insisted on it, but ultimately they persuaded her it was a bad idea, and so she never took the stand and didn't face cross examination, and it would have been brutal because because the facts weren't nightmarish, were horrible. When I interviewed her, she offered her account of events, and we went and I spent four hours with her in a trailer home in St. Angelo, Texas. I declined her offers of food and drink while I was there, didn't care to have anything from her. But I went through in great detail. Actually I think I was there for six hours, but I went through in great detail, case by case, what happened, and she offered her story about various things in time, and again she said with absolute conviction, as I said, right to tail, in account of what had taken place, which was contradicted by facts and testimony, but facts that were documented and ambulance reports and medical records, you know, sort of absolutely knowable, objective information that proved she was lying about things. But she said it with you know, if you if you didn't know better, if you hadn't done the research, you know, what she said seemed very persuasive. She seems so certain of herself and so caring about the kids. But if you had done research, as I had talk to people, you not only had their testimony about what happened, which was completely at odds with hers, but you had reports and specific details from documents that made clear she was lying about things, and that would have been withering in cross examination, would have destroyed her. So ultimately I think the result was the same if she had if she had taken the stand.
Speaker 6: Now does who does she?
Speaker 3: She?
Speaker 6: She talks about the doctors, of course, not doing their job. Misdiagnosis is that what she chalked us all up to is was a conspiracy. How could she explain that an innocent person being convicted like herself, Was it a grand conspiracy?
Speaker 4: I mean, ultimately yes, she was. She didn't put in quite those terms, but that's ultimately what she would Her argument amounted to. The doctors were providing incompetent medical care, and they were covering up their mistakes and blaming it on her. That's ultimately what it amounted to.
Speaker 6: Now you talked, we talked about in the introduction that lo and behold she it can be up for parole in the near future. So tell us what kind of sentence she got and sure what her parole status is read.
Speaker 4: Sure, as I mentioned early on in our conversation, the Centers for Disease Control and kind of assessed how many you know this this epidemic that was Jeanine Jones, nurse thirty two. They called her because they were making a statistical study, and they ultimately concluded they were about as many as fifteen or so excess deaths as they put quote unquote excess deaths in the intensive care unit in San Antonio. But they were never able to convict her of murder. In San Antonio, they convicted her. She was convicted in one in their first trial of murder of Chelsea McClellan and received a sentence of ninety nine years from murder. And then in San Antonio, she was charged in the case of Verlando Santos, the baby who had those heparin episodes, repeated hepron episodes but had recovered ultimately when the doctor moved him safely away from Jeanine Jones, and that injury to a child conviction got her another sentence of sixty years, so she gets one hundred and fifty nine years total, but the two sentences were to run concurrently, and in addition, there were Texas mandatory parole statutes in place that had to do with prison overcrowding. And the bottom line in all of this is that even though she's been denied parole I think more than a dozen times, she's now facing mandatory parole to received mandatory parole in twenty eighteen, in early twenty eighteen, and you know, again she's been convicted of one murder, she's suspected and believed responsible for multiple murders, and thus been an outcry that this she would be one of the first, if not the first, serial killer released on parole. And in any case, you know, whether she is or isn't, that she should remain behind bars for all the rest of her life. So there has been an active campaign, really a crusade from led by parents and also by the victim rights coordinator in the City of Houston to try to bring pressure to bear to possibly bring another murder case against her and get another conviction that would keep her behind bars forever. That's going to be extremely difficult to do, I think ultimately probably impossible, but they don't want to see her released for understandable reasons. But nonetheless they're trying to do it. They've they've started a petition drive, they started a website, and they put they're putting pressure on prosecutors to try to see if they can bring another charge against her in San Antonio for murder.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's very interesting development because I think that you know, the level of outrage, Like you say, there's people are organizing, but the level of outrage, especially when the media, this is not a kind of crime that, even though it's become more commonplace, is not more easily understood. This is still very, very shocking. And that's what this book is too. I got to applaud you for it's very found experience. When you read about Janine Jones saying, oh, I'll take care of the child, or you just leave the room. You won't want to see this, and meanwhile she's you know, very ghoulish. I mean, it's very I don't know a parent's worst nightmare. You know, it's understatement, but it's very You've really captured that essence of the horror of Janine Jones, this lovable, trusted woman that couldn't be trusted at all with their little kids' lives. And we're talking kids four months and maybe some of them sickly, some of them, you know, but for the most part, again the kids that should have lived in so very, very incredibly tragic stories. So I want to applaud you for being able to capture that in this book, The Death Shift. It's been very fascinating. Now for those people that might want to read about some of your other work, or do you do Facebook or you have a website? How my people contact you?
Speaker 4: Sure, I appreciate that I have a website. It's Peter Elkine dot net. It's a personal website. But my job these days as I work for a Fortune magazine as a writer where I do investigative reporting and they've been on staff for about seventeen years, and I write about things like the n Round scandal and the Beefy oil spill and the Sony Pictures hack. I do business stories these days instead of true crime.
Speaker 6: Isn't that true crime?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 4: You're right, You're right exactly. It's a different form of true crime. The stakes are different. They're not life and death, but there are grave stakes and they do affect a lot of people, no question about it.
Speaker 6: Absolutely Well. I want to thank you Peter for coming on and talking about The Death Shift. And incredible book and very deservedly a true crime classic now, absolutely and a great book. And thank you for coming on and talking about it. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Very good. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: You have a great night, you too, good night, good good night.