Speaker 1: I think they were two brilliant and incompatible personalities. But this friction gave place to a bath of creativity. Sometimes when people are not comfortable in the studio, very great things come out of that. Putting ecstasy out of their comfort zone gave room to new dimensions of their music.
Speaker 2: We're totally bomed rock and Roll.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll leave you you're reading.
Speaker 1: Little hands, since it's time to rock and roll rocking out a totally.
Speaker 2: Booked Welcome back to Booked on Rock. This is the podcast for those about to read in Rock Americ sanitch. Before we get started, if you're looking to get some great classic rock merchandise, you can get fifteen percent off through old Glory dot com. Use the code Booked on Rock and you get fifteen percent off. The link is in the show notes, or it can go to our website Booked on Rock dot com and look for my deals. Now onto our guest, Alfredo Marziano, a first time guest. He's here to talk about the classic XTC album from nineteen eighty six, Skylarking. Skylarking's the eighth studio album by XDC, released October twenty seventh of nineteen eighty six includes the singles Grass and Dear God, although that wasn't included on the original version. We'll get to that, and Skylarking has been listed on one hundred Greatest Albums of the nineteen eighties lists by Rolling Stone and Pitchfork. In this book, Alfredo dives deep into the album XDC Skylarking. A Life in a Day the Making of a Pop Classic is the title part of Lily Publishing's Milestones series. Welcome to the podcast, Alfredo.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you very much. I'm really happy.
Speaker 1: I'm real glad to have this chance to chat with you with your listeners.
Speaker 2: So tell me about the album when it first grabbed you and also has your appreciation of the album changed after spending years researching adding the book.
Speaker 1: I'm old enough to have because I'm a sixty ninety this year, so I have the chance to listen to the record when it came out in ninety eighty six. I was twenty nine years old back then, so I was already an ecstasy fan and a rock fan.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 1: Just leagally waiting for this record to come out because I started to really appreciate Extsy, not exactly from the beginning of their career, but from the double.
Speaker 3: Album English Settlement.
Speaker 1: That was their fifth album and it was the first one that Ecstasy produced and released after they they put off their light posted career, so because of Andy Partridge physical and psychooal problems and getting on stage, not only straight flight, but it was really sick about being on a stage, so they just concentrated focused on the on the studio work and English Settlement was the first one of these albums that made focusing just like on just on.
Speaker 3: On the studio work.
Speaker 1: And from that point on, in particular, I was interested in next to seeing more they're more melodic side. Uh. There used to be a really nervy new wave band before that. I appreciate very much albums like The Black Seed that was the one before Ing Settlement and Drums and Wires to the third album. But I think the English Setlement opened a door for them, uh in research, in researching sounds and opening really a new door, a new.
Speaker 3: Landscape for for the record.
Speaker 1: So it was always a dream of mine to have a chance to write a book about this record, and the key for that were having the xt C. It asked Andy Partridge, Colin Moulden and take Gregory to accept to talk extensively about that about that record with me, and when this chance opened for me, I think, okay, that's the right time. And from the time on it was not so a long process because a part of the of the writing was their job. They h the interviews I made with them, made the book of the of the book at completing it with many interviews that I've taken from multiple, multiple sources. But the ball cover of the book is the original interviews that I met with the three of them and with.
Speaker 3: Other people involved.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I couldn't get in touch with the producer, Todd Ranger, and I yet to use some of the interviews that it made before about about the record. I couldn't get in touch with him. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Anyway I got.
Speaker 1: I got in touch with an assistance of him at the studio and it was a really really important source of information for me.
Speaker 3: The name of this guy is Ralph Lagnini.
Speaker 2: And did you appreciate the album in a different way or more so after speaking with the guys and getting all that inside information on the album, do you listen to it differently now?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, yes, because they point to some of the things of the shades of the subtleties that you sometimes you know you can, you don't perceive that at the first moment. So, for example, they're talking about using this kind of Mexican Latin guitar that's called the teple, is a little ten string guitar in songs like Summers, Caledon and Grass, the two songs that start the record.
Speaker 3: I was not exactly aware that.
Speaker 1: And yes, now I listened more intantly to the sound too when I listen to the record now, and so with many other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, does that for me as well.
Speaker 3: For example, in another song that's called the Meeting.
Speaker 1: Place, they use the factory hooter that was calling the workers to work in Swindon, in their hometown in England, and this is another important touch of And then it's also interesting for me to know some of the landscape, the imaginary landscape that they had in their heads when they were writing and playing those songs. There are songs very much informed even if they recorded in the US. This is a very cant essentially British album, very much rooted in England and in Swindon, in their hometown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the main lineup, you did mention the three main guys that you spoke with, Andy Partridge lead vocals, guitar, Colin Molding vocals and bassed, Dave Gregory vocals, guitar, piano, since and string arrangements credited as quote unquote the part of the time Bomb is drummer Prairie Prince and Todd Rudgren produced it. And you write about Andy Partridge's breakdown and the band's decision to stop touring in nineteen eighty two. You just mentioned that and heading into the album, Version Records essentially gave XDC an ultimatum finding direction or work with an American producer who could help the band in the US. How much pressure did that situation place on the group And do you think Skylarkin would have been a completely different album had those commercial pressures not existed.
Speaker 1: I think so, because as I remember, I think it's Dave Gregory Gregory that says that until the point Execy used to have quite a free hand in choosing the producers and choosing and the sounds of their records. When they were confronting with Todd Ranger with a very you know, quite strong personality they have to face a man had a real clear idea of what he wanted the record to sound like.
Speaker 3: And this, ah, you know.
Speaker 1: Pushed to give way to a strong personality clash between him and at the partridge with the more you know, uh, strong willed musician in in XDC and also the main composer and so yes, of course the mark of Todd Drangren is very much present in in this record. I think it would be it could have been a very very different record if it's another producer had been chosen to work on it instead of instead of Todd Drangren. Uh, this is even and the Partridge now recognizes this, recognizes that that Todd made sometimes the very very clever decisions, and it puts he left a very strong market on the record. But it was for a good it was for a good goal.
Speaker 2: Chapter three paints a vivid picture of XDC arriving in Woodstock and finding Rundgren's rustic Utopia Studios. Several accounts described the studio as somewhat chaotic, mouse nests in the chamberlain, equipment scattered around, and a less than glamorous set up. Before Rundgren even arrived, the band spent days rehearsing and preparing songs what were Rundgren's first impressions of XTC and the material that they brought with him, and how quickly did it become clear that his vision for the album might differ from theirs.
Speaker 1: When Todd listened to the demos, ye had already an idea of the sequence of the songs and how to put them in the record, which one to select to pick up and which one to discard. And that was a big shock and a big surprise for Partridge in particular. That was used to another a totally different way of working, to scatter ideas around, to have maybe twenty twenty five thirty songs and then let them develop naturally organically, and after that choosing the best ones instead. Todd from the very beginning said, no, this is the thirteen fourteen song that we are we're going to use, So this is the sequence.
Speaker 3: Of the songs.
Speaker 1: Just put them on tape in the right with the right sounds and with the right arrangements and with the right performance. So a big shock for them and for Puntry particularly. There's another thing that happened. They were not used to. They didn't begin to work with the trump with the drummer. They started the recording the record without a drummer, so they have to use the click tracks, and it was quite you know, this place and this come forth in for them. Just after they went to San Francisco, Prairie Prince put the drum tracks on the songs.
Speaker 2: Chapter four gets into one of the most fascinating aspects of Skylarking, Todd Runggren's highly structured production methods and the creative fraction that they created with XTC. One of the most surprising revelations is that Colin Molding was often recording bass parts, you know, like you said before Prairie Princess drums. How unusual was run Gren's recording process for that time.
Speaker 1: Ramgan was quite used to doing things this way. He also used to, you know, to record the whole albums by himself, playing all day instruments.
Speaker 3: So it thought maybe that other.
Speaker 1: Musician could be easily, you know, convinced to walk this way. Colin Malten at these problems too, in a playing base, just with a click track, just imagining where the drum beats were going to be, just in his head. But it was more flexible in his way like Dave Gregory was. Because Dave Gregory was the only one of the three that was already a fan of Todd Ranger and productions and records and was very happy to work with him, while Partridge was.
Speaker 3: Really at logger heads with this way of working.
Speaker 2: Well, the conflict between Partridge and Runggren that's chapter five gets into it. It's a legendary conflict. You could say the title two Hitler's in a Bunker and it perfectly captures the reputation of the Andy Partridge Todd Runggren relationship. Todd Rongreennn argued that andy tendency to endlessly revised songs have become a problem, while Andy felt Todd was stifling his creativity. After researching both perspectives, do you think either side was more justified or were they simply just two brilliant but incompatible personalities.
Speaker 1: I think there were two brilliant and incompatible personalities, but this friction gave place to a bath of creativity. So sometimes when people are not comfortable in the studio, very great things come out of that. Putting ecstasy out of their comfort zone gave room two new dimensions of their music. I think I think that Todd Ranger and input can be underestimated.
Speaker 2: So do you think Skylarkin is one of those rare cases where create attention actually elevates the work beyond what either party might have achieved.
Speaker 1: A loan, for sure, and Partridge recognizes that too nowadays. He was a great, great arranger of sounds of strings or brass, And there are some songs on the record like Murmured Smile or the Man who Sailed Around the Shore where he made a really astounded work in a very short time with brass and strings. He had some kind of jazzy undertones and touches to the songs. I don't think that Ecstasy could have arrived at the target without him.
Speaker 2: Fourteen tracks at all. Let's get to some of the standout tracks now. The album opens with Summer's Cauldron. One of the most fascinating details here is Andy's explanation of trying to translate colors, heat, and visual images in the chords and sounds opening filled with insects, birds, barking dogs, environmental sounds. How much of that cinematic soundscape was in this vision and how much was that Rundgren's contribution as a producer, because you just mentioned his production techniques as far as orchestration and things like that.
Speaker 1: Well, in this case, I think that Andy had already in his original ideas the kind of ambiance, the kind of mood that he wanted to reach. So this kind of a very lazy summer feel. And yeah, of course ranger at the brilliance and the good ideas of using some kind of even synthesized sounds. It was very used to you to put in his record to reach this kind of atmosphere the sounds. But I think in this case Andy already had a very very precise idea in his mind of what you wanted in the Stork in his first two songs of the.
Speaker 2: Record, Grass one of the most beloved Colin Molding songs on Skylarking and You point out the Grass in the Meeting Place or thematically linked, and both draw from Colin's memories of courtship. Song has often been interpreted as being about drug use because of its psychedelic feel, yet Colin specifically says the song is inspired by real memories of porting his future wife around Coke Water in Swindon. What did you learn about Colin as a songwriter while working on the book. How does his writing different from Andy Partridge's approach.
Speaker 1: While Andy is more angular, you know, a bit more eccentric in his kind of in his way in the style of songwriting. Colin Moulding is more more melodic because they have a very stronger Beatles influence. You could, may be to put the things in a simple way, it says that Andy Prodge is a kind of John Lennon of XDC and and Colin Modle is upon mccardey is not exactly made this way. Parties is across maybe between Lennon and McCartney. Uh, while I think molding is more on the McCartney side or even the Harrison side, because he used to have a smaller fraction of of songs in every record. But interestingly, uh, when to Dragon was involved in inst skalarking, it happened that is this time Colin Malden had more songs than in every in the record that in every other ACTDC album. It's for for for song this time and Andy is anyway ready to recognize that they all of them were worthwhile, so the whole the word while being in the album.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for checking out the Booked on Rock podcast. If you've just found the podcast, welcome. If you've been listening. Thank you so much for your support, and make sure you tell a friend, a family member, share on social media and let people know about Booked on Rock. And if you do like the podcast, make sure you subscribe give a five star review. Wherever you listen to the Booked on Rock podcast, We're on Amazon, Apple, iHeart, Spotify, Spreaker, tune in, and on YouTube music. You can check out the full episodes on video, along with video highlights from episodes on the Booked on Rock YouTube channel. Find it at Booked on Rock. Thanks again for listening. Now back to the show. All right, let's get into Dear God. First release as the B side to Grass wasn't originally included on the first UK version of Skylarking, but US distributor Geffen Records recalled and repressed Skylarking with it included. How does a B side end up becoming one of xdc's most famous in defining songs.
Speaker 1: There's a funny story, even a bit strange story, Andy and the head of A and R Virgin. In the UK, it was called Jeremy lot Cells or something like that. We're worried that this song could provoke some kind of you know, strong reaction in the Catholic circles in America in particular, and they were right in uh In saying this. But uh Andy himself didn't recognize the value of the song in the first place. Maybe it doesn't think even now that Dear God was one of the best songs of the record. But this time Todd at his voice and it was right, because that was the song that Cut got to hear of the of the American audience in thanks to college radio in particular, and to a video that was played on MTV. Of course, there was a strong reaction about the contents of the song because this is a hatty song, but that opened the door for Ecstasy on the American market. So this time, even this time, Todd was on the right side. And Handy maybe underestimated the value of the song. He thought it was a bit simplistic in the lyric. He thought that he had to develop more deeply the thought and the meaning of the song. But I think that it's the target, very very strongly in a way, so.
Speaker 2: Sure, and one of the most memorable elements of the song is a child's voice. What's the story behind that? Who is that? How did she become part of that track.
Speaker 1: That's another funny story because, as many other people that listened to the record, seeing the video on MTV, I was sure. I was convinced that the voice was a voice of a little child, a male child. Instead, it was sung by a small female singer. She was maybe nine or ten or eleven at the time. It was a friend of friends in the Todd Drunken circles in Woodstock, and so she had already sang live with his parents. She was used to go on stage with the pants and very she was called upon on the studio and made this opening lines and closing lines of the song. So it was a very you know, simple simple thing. She was not sure what was happening until the record came out. She didn't know if her voice was in the song or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's simple, but it's powerful. That child, the innocent child's voice. It just added a whole other element and just strength to the emotion of the song. Alfredo Marziano is the author of XDC Skylarking Life in a Day, The Making of a pop Classic. One of my favorite tracks is That's Really Super Supergirl. The song is often remembered as a playful, comic book inspired pop song, but any Partridge suggests it's really about romantic disappointment and being the dump be other than the dumper.
Speaker 1: That was another point of contention between him and Ranger because when Rangern listened to the demo, he immediately said this is the single, and Andy was not convinced. All he thought maybe it could be a B side. It didn't reckon it as one of the stronger songs on the on the record, and uh, but anyway, he has a kind of very alternative rock in a way, you know, feel to it that was very in tune with what the college radio in America used to play at the moment. So thought Rangon had the hears attuned to that, so he knew that it could be one of the catchiest songs.
Speaker 3: On the record.
Speaker 1: So another This is another example of how having the different hears listened to the record of man who has the experience and the here of Todd Dranglon was a big, big, big addition to the record.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the guitar. One of the most fascinating stories in this chapter involves Eric Clapton's famous painted Gibson SG the fool. It's used during the sessions how significant was that guitar's contribution to the track, And what did Dave Gregory tell you about playing such a legendary instrument?
Speaker 1: Of course, he was amazed to find this instrument is a very very you know, famed instrument in the studio of in Tod Drangon studio.
Speaker 3: It was not in.
Speaker 1: Great shape maybe, but Dave with a very very clever instrumentalist, and he also knows how to manipulate to work on the guitars, the the things correctly, put new strings on the on that and so on, and so he didn't mind the the Clepton sound for for the song. And so it was very very very active. This chance to you know, to to look at the past in a way with the with with the song and with this. So the sound of this of this instrument that was later both by other people. I don't know we own is now, but it's a very very prizing instrument. So it was sold at an auction with for many many many thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm sure maybe, yeah, oh sure, I wouldn't responise. I'm sure people are curious how did he get his hands on that? How did that all?
Speaker 1: I don't remember exactly, but when told to put his ends on the on the of the guitar was expensive but not you know, like like it is now. So maybe because also it was not in very good shape. I don't know how it happened that Clapton, you know, he has so many guitars and that was a yeah, that was but.
Speaker 2: It was it was Todd who who had it initially. Yeah, he's the.
Speaker 3: One when Clapton.
Speaker 1: When Clapton, uh, you know, sold someone, then Todd at the chance to to buy it. And so yeah, he also use it in some of his records. You can see I don't remember what what record it is. There is a photo in the Indus Leave with Todd playing this the full guitar with the psychedelic colors that was made by the Dutch band, the Dutchdoos was called the Fool and Uh. They used to collaborate with the Beatles and and so what was that the episode of the psychedelic movement and Revolutionary UK in the in the sixthes Clapton used to use this guitar when he was in the in Cream and uh and then yeah thought uh used it for some of these records, but at the time it was like a kind of a you know, a museum piece that was was jumping his studio.
Speaker 2: That's cool, all right, let's go to a side too now, opening track earn Enough for Us. Andy Partridge has said that the song came from his anxiety about supporting a family making ends meet. Dave Gregory's twelve string guitar solo became one of the defining moments of this song. There was a rare moment where Colin and Andy they had a serious argument over a bass part during the sessions. What was the argument over.
Speaker 1: I don't remember exactly, but maybe Handy thought that the bassline minds that Colin was coming with were a bit too mellow for what he wanted. He wanted something more, something stronger, something larger. And yeah, it happened that Colin went out of the studio. He also said maybe he was going to to finish, to go out of the of the record, to leave us and go back to Britain. But it only went on for a couple of days. I think, not not more and bad and yeah, you know they're English people, very English, so they used to you know, to keep underwater their tensions usually ah to take everything inside of them. This is one of the rare cases in which the confrontation between them burst out. They were not used to to have big arguments in the studio, even if you know, even today calling and Andy and not exactly in good terms they used. Now they talked just for strictly for professional business things. Otherwise they are not in touch there nowadays. So this kind of tension was always there, and I think it's understandable because Colin is a songwriter too, So it happened just what happened with the George Harrison with the Beatle that we talked about, the comparison before.
Speaker 3: Harrison too.
Speaker 1: Left the Beatles, you know, during the session of the l Lene of B sessions. Yeah, with the B Sessions, and because he felt that his songs were not you know, appreciated enough from the other So I think Colin has this kind of appealing in himself. Usually he thought maybe it's not a prolific songwriter for INTI from such as Andy, but he sometimes felt that these songs could be more you know, uh, have more space in Ecstasy records. This is not a problem for Dave Gregory, for example, because he doesn't write songs, so he was the man who was very, very a key element for arranging songs, for finding the right sounds, especially with the guitars, but also with piano and with strings, because Sky Larkin he plays excellent piano in some songs. It's not a virtuoso player, but he plays very, very good lines at the piano. And he also produced a very another extounded arrangement of a song on side one that is one thousand umbrellas. That's a song with a string section, and that was just a work of genius by David Gregory.
Speaker 2: And several people that were involved with the sessions for Earn Enough for Us say that that should have been released as a single. If you look back now, nearly forty years later, do you think Virgin Records made a mistake on this? Did they miss an opportunity by not pushing it harder.
Speaker 1: It's difficult to, you know, to evaluate these things later, because yeah, it's another song with chimey chiming guitar, a bit reminiscent maybe of Birds or you know, maybe Harry m or the other bands that were around at the time, But who knows. I thought that Grass was a great single. It didn't it didn't go anywhere, So you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well the album opened with Summer's Cauldron eventually closes with Sacrificial Bonfire. How important was Todd Runggren's secreencing concept in transforming these songs into a complete life cycle narrative rather than simply the first and last tracks on an album, Because you did talk about he had an idea in mind for the track sequencing.
Speaker 1: Is what I say in the title of the of the album, a life, the life in the day. So you wanted to kind of, you know, to chart what what happens in the life of a man, but also to put the things in order to show how that happens in a with the season, the cycle of the seasons. And so this was a kind of a are narrative arc that he had from the beginning. And I think that, yeah, that that's a very important element of the record. So the sequences in the case of this record, it's very important, even if it's not a concept album. But you can't scramble it's so so much. There were other other clashes about what songs to put in and what songs to put out. So when Dear God was finally included in the US version, because of the limits of the Land of the Vinyl, they had to put out a song, and they chose to put out Mermaid Smile and Todd Dragen was not agreeing with this decision. He thought that the song to Sacrifice was another satellite that's maybe it's right because it's a different mood from the rest of the of the album. It's a more electronic sounding song. And Todd doesn't like it at all. I like it very much, but maybe it's a bit yeah, out of place, you could say. Maybe Now I'm used to listen to it, so I'm accustomed to have it on the but I think maybe it would be better. It would have been better to take Urbs mayahin and take out. And Andy was not of this idea because he very likes matched that song. It's an important song for him.
Speaker 2: Find the bookdown Rock website at bookdown rock dot com. There you can find all the back episodes of the show, the latest episode in video and audio, links to all of the platforms where you can listen to the podcast, plus all the social media platforms were on Blue Sky, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and x. Also check out the booked on Rock blog. Find your local independent bookstore, find out all the latest hot rock book releases, and before you go, check out the booked on rock online store, pick up some booked on rock Merch. It's all at booked on rock dot com. Now. Under the controversial original cover artwork and the Todd Runggre and Andy Partridge mixing feud, let's start with the cover artwork. The original cover for Skylarking was rejected because Virgin Records felt it was too controversial. It was finally restored years later. Was on that cover and do you think the label overreacted or can you understand why they were nervous about it releasing it at that time in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember that record shop owners and megastores in the UK say no, we can't put this on the shelves. I think, yeah, maybe they were right. Is a bit, you know, a bit strong like so I personally prefer the second version, So the one the album, the cover that came out. I think it's more evocative, more ah, more poetic in a way. And Departure took it from a from a painting in a book that he had at home, and it was a quick decision anyway to to add this second second version. I think this is better than the original idea. I understand the point in in Andy when you say that the written the pubic image and kind of a very healthy feel that you wanted to to communicate with the with the album. But I think that this image is more is more evocative, it's more kind of old fashion, but very attuned to the to the sounds and the songs on the record. So I can see, ah what Virgin thought about it, and I think they were clever in saying no, it's better to to have another another cover because they you know, they already uh, bad feedback from the retailers.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's talk about the mix now. So Tad Runggren has consistently rejected the idea that he delivered a flawed mix, and Departures remained convinced something was wrong. Talk about the polarity issue quote unquote polarity issue and why the two men remained so far apart from that finished mix for so many years.
Speaker 1: You know, I've listened to the to the record, of course in a different configuration mixing mixes, and I can't see personally a very strong difference between the two. Yeah, maybe the vinyl he sounds that a bit flat, that's for sure. It seems this was the polarity issues just happened that the cables were connected in the wrong way. So it's a very simple and maybe stupid mistake. I don't know who made it, maybe a tape operator.
Speaker 3: Or something or some like that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it sounded like it was a bit flat. But when it came out on CD, oh I didn't see this great, great difference between the original version and the one with the polarity corrected.
Speaker 3: The one we're probably corrected.
Speaker 1: It's one with the original cover that's come out in the in this way too. So maybe this is another one of the you know, anti partridges sometimes that is a strong ideas is strong ideas, and it's difficult to make it change his mind about things. So, for example, Todd rang has always, uh, you know, said, this is a kind of bullshit, not a very important, not a very important thing. So it's another funny thing. And yes, maybe with the polarity the correct polarity version is brighter in sound. Maybe it is a bit deeper, but you I think you you need a very high hand equipment maybe too, to detect the difference.
Speaker 2: When Skylarking was released in eighty six, only a modest commercial success. Why do you think it took years, perhaps decades for listeners and critics to fully appreciate what XTC had accomplished.
Speaker 1: Well in the US. Anyway, it was an important record for XDC. He saved their career. So it's a very important album for them. He literally saved their career because, as I said before, it opened the doors and the gates of the of the college radio and the rock audiences in.
Speaker 3: America.
Speaker 1: Maybe the very the point is that XTACY didn't promote it by playing live, because they didn't play live, so and usually at the times in the eighties, if you didn't play live and go to every place, every little town in America in particular, you still you didn't stand the chance to have a ready already a really big success.
Speaker 2: You know, And only r EM probably are EM's the only example of being able to get away with that, because they stopped touring and their albums were still doing well, but they had already built up the cachet. At that point people knew of of r EM, you know, millions and millions of fans had already known about our Em. Whereas actually see now from a commercial standpoint, I think this was the beginning of that period where they had some commercial success. So yeah, maybe they would have they would have capitalized more if they toured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other things to say, ah ari Am had a very strong and charismatic frontman, and XC didn't have a stronger charismatic from them. Andy Patches is a different kind of of musicians and different kind of character. He is not the physical presence of of Michael Stipe. Uh for sure. Peter Back is a big fan of XDC, and I can you can detect it in there in there in his music sometimes. And but anyway, I think they didn't have the look the image for being a mass market rock group.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The this is I think that the person The other thing that I said, they Yeah, they were not playing live, but it was also a very difficult it would be a very difficult record to play live. When they when they did The Oranges and Lemons, it was the following record, and it's another record who had a good success between the rock audiences and the college radio in America.
Speaker 3: They did a clever move.
Speaker 1: They just did a kind of a very very small promotional touring in radio's and TV playing just acoustically the songs of O the record. Maybe they should have done something similar for Scalelark Skylarking to open the market to it. Anyway, it was, as I said before, it was a very real life boat for them.
Speaker 2: Well a Mayor of Simpleton is just an absolutely perfect pop rock song.
Speaker 3: For a day is another king for the record?
Speaker 2: Yes, great so great song. So I think maybe you answered the question what do you think the lasting legacy of Skylarking is nearly forty years after its release, not just for SDC, but for popular music as a whole. And I think you answered it. But what do you think that is?
Speaker 1: I think this is a very good example of what the craft of making pop songs mean because if you listen carefully to the record and read what the musician Bob say about how it was created, you see how much effort and how much creativity was put into a record like that. So they always say that when a great record is made by a great song, a great performance, and a great sound, And I think this record has these three elements very very strongly in It is not the thing that you find every day in every record, and so I think This is one of of the reasons why it's still very still very relevant, great songs, great performance, because as I said before, there are some details that you, even after forty years listen to it, you sometimes find, oh, something clicked in you. Well, what's this is the tiple, This is a you know, I said, the chump, that the sound of the chamberlain, and what's this sound that's like timpanies but as no timpany is a just drum kit. And even found these very little details that make it magical every time you listen to it. So this is why this is always fresh every time you listen to it. It's one of the red Usually many of the record of the eighties sound dated. Now in this record there's this use of some instrument that you can say are dated now that the fair Lights CMI synthesizer back then was a real you know, innovator, innovator music was a kind of you know, magical new instrument. Nowadays these kind of sounds maybe are not so.
Speaker 3: Fresh, but.
Speaker 1: It doesn't affect the overall sound of Skylark In This still sounds very fresh. At the core of this for me, as always, there are the songs and the songs are really great.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for checking out the Booked on Rock podcast. If you've just found the podcast, welcome. If you've been listening, thank you so much for your support, and make sure you tell a friend, a family member, share on social media and let people know about Booked on Rock And if you do like the podcast, make sure you subscribe give a five star review. Wherever you listen to the bookd on Rock podcast, We're on Amazon, Apple, iHeart, Spotify, Spreaker, tune In, and on YouTube music. You can check out the full episodes on video, along with video highlights from episodes on the Booked on Rock YouTube channel. Find it at Booked on Rock. Thanks again for listening. Now back to the show. XDC Skylarking A Life in a Day The Making of a pop classic out now through Lilybooks and find it wherever books are sold. Look for at your nearest bookstore. Go to bookdown rock dot com to find your nearest independent bookstore. And if people want to find you onlinelf RIGHTO. Are you available through social media, website and anything like that.
Speaker 1: I'm not available so at all on a website. I just have a Facebook Facebook profile. I'm not so using so much social media, but I'm quite active on Facebook with with my name, with my name Alfredo Marciano.
Speaker 2: That's perfect. Yeah, we'll put the link in the show notes and we look forward to having you back on again in the future, Afreida. Do you have any projects in the works right now?
Speaker 1: I have some projects in mind or another one maybe with XDC too, but it always depends on the availability of the musicians. So I wanted to make other books in this milestones thing, but it depends on the on the musicians. If if I have the chance to talk with the musician and let them be the real protagonists of the book and to talk, that's okay. I can go to to develop other projects. Otherwise, I'm not interested in writing an essay about a record. I think that there are many of them on the marketplace, so that the important thing for me is to have the artist to say is things to talk about their writing and recording process. So something is mine. But at the moment, I'm still waiting for some artists to give me the red the green light. But surely I have the project to go on with the other books like that.
Speaker 2: Well, you're welcome back any time to talk about those books, and you mentioned the Milestone series, which is a great series from Lily Publishing. We've had we've covered some of the books from that series, Pau McCartney in Wings, Ben on the Run, John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Pau McCartney's Press to Play. Just recently did that with Luca Parassi. It's a great series. And Alfredo, thank you so much for coming on to talk about this book, introducing me to the complete album because I knew the singles, but now I'm a fan of the entire album, So thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Eric.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you are interested in xt C in albums right now. So that was my aim too, maybe yeah, attract other people or to wonder what is great about XDC, because yeah, there are cult artists today and we are quite happy of the audience the reaction to a book like this, but I think they deserve more recognition and recognition.
Speaker 2: Anyway, agreed, Alfredo, Thank you again.
Speaker 3: Thank you again.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's in the books.