Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So I threw this out there yesterday and even maybe a little bit on Monday as well, and that you know, Kentucky fans, like I get why they feel really good about what their team did on Saturday against Georgia even though they lost. But you gotta worry a little bit about, Okay, is there gonna be more attention on the fact that we just played Georgia really really close, closer than maybe anybody will the rest of the way this year. Like I'm not gonna be shocked at all if the closest game Georgia has the rest of the season after they potentially win the National Championship is that game against Kentucky because it was that close. But you gotta worry, like, is there as much attention on Kentucky really coming to play or is it more about how their coach wouldn't go for it? And I think as of now, you know, and it's all the Kentucky fans are going to decide which way they want to view it, right, are they gonna be optimistic or are they going to be like, damn, Mark Stoops, your conservative play calling. That's why we're never gonna be an elite program. Like again, you do what you want to do. But there's there's so much attention on that close game that I feel like Georgia, I mean, they're not even getting their fair criticism that you would get for a team that's supposed to be a lot better than what they showed Saturday, because it's all about Mark Stoops not going foot on fourth down. I mentioned Chris mad Dog Russo losing his mind having a rant about it on.
Speaker 3: Pardon the End. What's the show? First take?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Steven A. Smith, would they just yell that's that? That's what it's called. Right now, I'm a regular listener pardon my take on Barstool Sports to where I like get him mixed up. But first take is the show, and that's easily one of the most watched shows ESPN has. It might be the most watch show they had that's not a live game. And then now you've got the most listened to sports podcast out there. I guess outside of I guess maybe I shouldn't say this anymore because I don't know if it is still number one, but pardon my take with Big Cat PFT. It's been a dominant podcast in the sports landscape for many, many years, but now you've got the Kelsey Brothers who have a really popular podcast, and I think there's another one out there that's that's massively successful. But one of the guys I might have been PFT that said that if I was a Kentucky fan, I'd be so heartbroken because Mark Stoop's his decision to punt it eliminated the opportunity for a core moment as a sport, as a Kentucky fan, And that's a little much, but you think about it, it's kind of true because I'd be willing to bet that had they somehow pulled off the upset by going for me going forward, and because again that's another thing that gets lost here about that decision is that you're you are super conservative, and that is why you were in that position. But by going for it, because he's he's since taken criticism and he's I think handled it pretty professionally meeting Stoops like, I think he's dealing with it about as best as a coach can understanding that, like, yeah, I mean, people are crushing him he's still he's kind of doubling down on his decision, but he's at least handling it, I think without arrogance.
Speaker 3: But you know, he said that we're not built.
Speaker 2: To and I don't have the quote in front of me, but he essentially said, we're not built to go down the field vertically against Georgia, which most teams aren't. Right, So he's right in that regard. But that's all the more reason not to pun it away because even if you get the ball back, even if what you plan to happen happened, you'd have no timeouts, very little time left on the clock, and then you'd have to turn into this team that can go downfield with Georgia. So had they got the first down, killed as much clock as possible before hitting a game winning field goal, I bet every Kentucky football fan would remember that for the rest of their life. You'll beat number one very often. And I know you did it against LSU and that was a big moment. They actually showed highlights of that during that game. But LSU at that time is not what Georgy is now. I mean, like, let's be real, Georgia could win the next three National championships and nobody would be shocked. That's you know, never happened before. But they're on pace right now to be better than everybody, especially with that news yesterday where they had some legislation pass that makes it to where every Georgia university is allowed to pay players directly within IL. So like they're already ahead of people now again, it'll eventually everybody's gonna be there, I feel like. But anyways, just not just you know, not to pile on here, but like if I was a Kentucky fan, I would because I don't want to be miserable. I would try to find some positives which aren't hard to find, because you know, if you can play that well against Georgia, you should be able to beat a lot of teams on your schedule. I mean you probably won't, but like, you know, you feel like you could compete, give yourself a chance to win and still have a special season despite being one and two right now, but you're getting national attention like you really never get. And it's not because damn, how about that Kentucky team. It's because can you believe their coach didn't didn't go for it on fourth and eight midfield. Three minutes left against Georgia, so kind of kind of salt to the wound a little bit. All right, it's coffee and company. We are fueled by Thornton's and this is Sports Talk seven ninety nit coffee. That's me, the company man, mister John Alden is alongside. We got about fifty minutes left.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: We are gonna be joined coming up here at five thirty by a good a really good guy to talk to about the enemy, the opponent that's coming to town on Saturday, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Chad Bishop from the Atlanta General Constitution going to join us, coming up here at five thirty. We'll get his thoughts on this match up. He'll talk to us and educate us on this Georgia Tech team that is off to a off to a decent start. You know, I hadn't mentioned this yet, and I'm not acting. I'm not going to try to build them up as some big team that you know, like is way better than they really are.
Speaker 3: I mean, because you know I think.
Speaker 2: I mean right now, they're ten and a half point favorites or I'm sorry, ten and a half point underdogs. But and this is where I feel like I already regret going down this path, but I'm not going to.
Speaker 3: Eject just yet.
Speaker 2: Georgia State beat Vandy this pastlast weekend, and that is Vandy's first loss. Vandy, if you remember, beating Virginia Tech and was up two touchdowns on them. So I think Vandy's better than people expected. But they did just lose to Georgia Tech, so maybe that's wrong. Well, this Georgia Tech team beat the hell out of Georgia State when they played them right after their win against against Florida State. So their loss to Syracuse was certainly one that makes them no longer ranked. And if they were ranked in this then this game would have a little bit more juice to it. But nonetheless, it's Louisville's first test and they will be tested in a major way compared to what they were tested in the first two games against Jacksonville State and Austin p I have no clue really what to expect. Like I think Louisville will win, I don't know if they'll cover. That's one thing than in the last twenty four hours. It's not that I'm losing, you know, confidence in Louisville as a team. It's not that I'm thinking they're on upset alert, but ten and a half is a lot of points, and Georgia Tech is a pretty good team. Our man for Vegas Insider, Brian Edwards, who joins us each and every week, will join us tomorrow. He did mention this to earlier when he and I were chatting, and this is I mean again, this is you know, I'm not as big on trends, but I feel like with Brent Key being in what his second year there, I mean this is this is a notable, notable stat. He is thirteen and three against the spread with with ten outright wins as an underdog.
Speaker 3: So I mean.
Speaker 2: It's early on in the Brent Key era, but I feel like he is somebody that you can claim early on that like his teams are in a much better situation when they are really giving no chance to win. So I'm looking forward to it on Saturday, and again we will join. We will be joined coming up here in about twenty minutes by Chad Bishop from the Atlanta Journal Constitution, who has Kentucky roots. I know there's plenty of people listening that know about Chad. He used to cover WKU back for WBKO down there in Bowling Green. Then he spent some time in Atlanta, I'm sorry, not Atlanta, Nashville. He worked for the sports information department at Vanderbilt, and now he's down in the AA as they say, covering Georgia Tech for one of the bigger newspapers in the country. So looking forward to catching up with Chad. All right, let's see here. Let me remind you, speaking of Saturday, we've got you covered for all the game day coverage. The Louisville Football pre game Show percent about Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital, is gonna start at two thirty, an hour before kickoff, and then as soon as the game ends, we'll go live right here reacting to whatever it is that happens in the Louislle Football postgame show, presented by Alex R.
Speaker 3: White.
Speaker 2: So distracted Driver dot Com. And uh, gonna be a busy day, gonna be a big day, and I'm hoping that our postgame show is really a celebration and it'll you know, I kind of feel like if we win big here I am saying we like I'm on the team. People hate when I do that. I did that this morning. Sometimes, oh sometimes I can't help my Sometimes I just do it to piss people off. But I used to be somebody that would catch myself because but now, like you know, look, you bring Jeff brom home, I'm gonna say we because he's one of us. So if Louisville does win big, we're probably gonna celebrate in a way that makes the win seem like it actually is worth more than what it is. I mean, it's a conference win, right, and it'll be your biggest win up to this point. But because this is a rare late September matchup where you haven't been tested yet and you've already had a bye week, like I think, a big time performance from the Cards and they cover or win big even, I think we're gonna be We're gonna be partying on that postgame show, and I hope you guys will well join us for that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So Pat Kelsey, yesterday he was speaking at an event called Operation Revival at the Fraser History Museum. It was their event to really introduce him to the community, and he did a Q and A with somebody I'm not sure who the host was, but Kent not Kent Taylor, we love Kent Taylor, but Kent Spencer we love him too. He joins us each week as well. From WHS eleven. He was on site for the event and he got some clips that I wanted to play with you guys, because I think a lot of times when it comes to coaches being asked about a rivalry or a coach of the rival, or just the rival in general. And by the way, those all three different things, right, what you think about the coach who is your rival, who coaches the rival school, the rivalry itself meaning like fans, and then of course you know the rival program. So I think this is a really genuine and genuine answer for Pat, which not to say he's been not giving us genuine answers when asked questions, and he's even been on this show, so I think he's genuine. But like right now, there's no animosity between these two and I think just not that I know them personally, but I think both of them, like put it this way, this is the best way to describe it. I think they would actually be good buddies, and they might be good buddies like legitimately and just know that, Hey, we have to act like we hate each other so our fans get excited. And maybe they won't be able to do that because it'll be very hard to force that. But let's just say Pat Kelsey is coaching at Cincinnati and Mark Pope is coaching at Purdue, and they became they crossed paths and recruiting, they networked, and they ended up meeting each other. Like from what I get when I can gather, I can see these two dudes being pretty good friends. I mean, I think Mark Post probably gonna be a little more boring than Pat Kelcey, but you know, other than that, I think they they clearly respect one another at this point. And I just have a hard time seeing anything happening or transpiring where there's really genuine animosity between the two coaches. And we got spoiled because there'll never be that level of animosity like there was with Beatino and Cal that's a personal rivalry that was very heated and contentious with some pretty deep rooted history between those two individuals. And then you could you throw and now they're leading two different fan bases, two different programs that hate each other, that have a lot of history, and it is the best rivalry in my opinion, in college basketball, and yes I'm biased in that opinion. But here's what he had to say when asked about When asked about that, he did kind of play play dumb a little bit, like, oh, wait a second, you're saying we got a we got a big rivalry. I gotta I gotta make sure remember that.
Speaker 4: So let me write this down. We like to beat those guys, right, I just got to remember this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a lot of journalism because that was the depth of my questions.
Speaker 4: You know where you know, it's one of the great rivalries in collegiate sports.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: I know how important it is to the people of this town. You know. I've gotten to know Mark a little bit, you know, and I can't probably shouldn't say it very loud, but try not to like him. But he's a pretty good dude.
Speaker 3: I was like, why you.
Speaker 4: Got to be not why you gotta be a good dude. I'm supposed to like dislike you. But you know, Coach Prosser when he was at Xavier, Bob Huggins when he was at Cincinnati, you were there Andy then during that time. I mean that that that maybe not as well known nationally. But that is a nasty, nasty, nasty rivalry houses, you know, homes divided, all that stuff, and it's the city shuts down. It's nasty. But and those are two nasty competitive dudes, but they they had a good relationship, right, there can be honor among thieves, like can we say so? I'm just excited to be a part of it. It is. I think rivalries are what makes college sports great. And you know, they stop being rivalries if you don't win one every once in a while. So let's let's think and go, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to play that not as if it's some juicy piece of sound that you know is going to really get things going. But that's my prediction is that those guys will have a lot of respect for one another, and they're not really like you know what what is similar is that they're starting at the same time. They're not inheriting the same thing, but they But then again, like Kentucky has been, you know, used to success recently, they just have been upset in the tournament. But they are both in their first year at a new school. Neither would have ever been on a list of ten like if you'd ask people a year ago today, give me ten names most likely to take over if these guys aren't here next year, Caliperry, and Pain. I don't think either of these guys would have been on the list. In fact, Pat Kelsey might have been. Pope might have been too, But Pope it would have just been because of the fact that he played there, and Barnhart, like, you know, you can see how he would really like Mark Pope, so you know there are some similarities, but then again there's not. You know, like Pat Kelsey, he could he could. Like again, if Louisville makes the tournament this year and you know, gets a sixth seed and you feel like, wow, that was you know, like if both schools did that, I think they are going to understand that they are you know, it's the first season in a new era and you know, coming out like gangbusters and making a deep run in the tournament, like, you know, although it could happen, you know, it's expecting that and saying that's the fail or pass, that's the pass or fail of the season is a little unrealistic, a little bit unreasonable honestly. But like with Pope, if they slip up and lose to teams that, like, you know, here's the thing, Mark Pope, I think you have a much much less likely chance of losing to Saint Peter's or Oakland with Mark Pope as your coach. But like, will you have a regular season consistently that you can find yourself with the top three four seed that remains to be seen, And like if Pope can't get to that standard, like he's his, he'll I don't want to say a good run out of town, but I just think Louisville fans still are going to have really high standards for their program and want to win at a high level and know that this is a program that if you've got a good coach and here he's got resources too, where you can win national championships. So like Louisville fans know that, but we we are going to not be able to control ourselves when it comes to getting excited about things that you didn't used to get excited about. It used to be just another day for Louisville. If you play a mid tier ACC team and you beat them by twenty, that was just life for a while. That ain't been life recently, so they're not really in the same situation, but there are some similarities to situations. I mean, both of them have entirely brand new teams, and you know it's because of the coaching change, and it's because places like Louislle and Kentucky can do that. They can utilize inile money and utilize their brand and utilize the fact that you know, they are one of the there are two of the top programs ever, and I clear I understand Kentucky's clearly ahead of Louisville in that regard, but they are both in that in that tier to where you can, you know, you can quickly put together a pretty good roster all from scratch and be pretty good, because you know, that's the world we're in now. But again, I think they will like each other.
Speaker 3: I really do. I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's something about Pope or something about Kelsey that it'll be easy for, you know, the two to dislike each other, but I do think it's genuine right now. And he meant you heard him talking about Cincinnati there, and that's I think we talked about it whenever we were getting into the whole conversation about where Louisville and Kentucky's rivalry ranks, and I think most people would put it at number two, and I wouldn't like tell them that they're insane. But I've always had the same stance, and that is that, if you know, I think what makes a rivalry great is fans, not anything else.
Speaker 3: Fans.
Speaker 2: Players come and go, coaches come and go. Fans and you have so many Louisville Kentucky fans in this city that coexist together to where like I feel like, you know, to really evaluate how heated and crazy this thing is around here, you got to be here same thing as Cincinnati. There's not Xavier and Cincinnati fans throughout the state. I mean, maybe there are as far as like a lum and maybe there are other random Cincinnati fans that live in you know, Cleveland or something, but the majority of the fans of both of those programs are all in Cincinnati, and that's why it's nasty there and that's just not as common, you know what I mean. Like and with Duke and Carolina, clearly like they are the best rivalry when it comes to just the success in the history and tradition of the two of those two programs, because those are the two of the best programs of all time. But Duke fans like, there's not that many of them, guys. I mean, you go to a Duke game and Durham I've been to one. It's mostly college students who grew up in the Northeast. Like n C State is more of a comparable rival to North Carolina than Duke is as far as the Louisville, Kentucky side of things. But again I'm biased. I understand like a lot of people would tune in across the country who like college basketball and say, this guy's an idiot. There there's no debate. Caroline and Duke here are the two best rivals in college basketball, and there's not even a close second. And you know you have your opinion. I have mine. You got people fighting at a Dallass clinic in their eighties. I don't think so we did, which I think that gives me a chance to play that again, because that was insane.
Speaker 5: The rivalry between UK and U of L fans runs deep. But police say they've never been called to a place like this to break up a fight between fans. Police are calling it a flagrant foul.
Speaker 3: I think this is a first out a dialysis.
Speaker 5: Clinic officers were called after a UK and U of L fan gave each other a full court press during treatment Monday.
Speaker 6: You just happened to think that l U of L would beat the UK, and he started running his mouth. That's what That's what started.
Speaker 7: I ain't talk to him about the ball again. I'll talk to another guy about the ball. He meant it and told me shut up, then give me the thing. I said, what I'm not talking to you both.
Speaker 5: Mean admit they were in the zone, but never anticipated there'd be a power forward.
Speaker 7: I wasn't gonna take no more of him.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm setting there, hooked up to a machine and I can't do anything, and.
Speaker 1: I wonn't told and I hit him and he made her but I hit.
Speaker 5: By the time police arrived, the fight was over.
Speaker 6: I'm just sorry it even happened. Hopefully they just he won't come in the same time I do anymore.
Speaker 5: Wilson does say that he won't be pressing any charges against Taylor, but he does say that he helps the Wildcats win in Georgetout, Elizabeth, Dorset, wky T twenty seven News.
Speaker 2: First, anytime I get a chance to play that, I'm going to do it. It's that the puns, the two guys themselves talking the story itself.
Speaker 3: It's good stuff. So all right, quick time out.
Speaker 2: Chad Bishop from the Atlanta Journal Constitution is going to join us, coming up here on the other side to preview Saturday's matchup between the Cards and the Yellowjackets, So stick with us. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right, it's coffee and company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us here on a Wednesday afternoon. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the Out Radio web listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And joining us now to discuss the matchup between Georgia Tech and Louisville is Chad Bishop from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. He covers Georgia Tech. Chad, how's life down there in Atlanta?
Speaker 3: My man, hey man.
Speaker 8: It's good. You know, I've still got some mild weather like you guys do up there. I've been looking at and you know, just just waiting for some fall weather to get here and waiting for a bye week because Georgia Tech has not had one yet. I'm not claiming I'm as tired as the football team is, but man, it's it's been a journey so far.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Man, it's a grind, and you guys have certainly been busy starting it across the pond and having no week off.
Speaker 3: Louisill had the rare bye week.
Speaker 2: In September, which it won't be rare moving forward because there's now going to be two by weeks. But yes, Louisville coming fresh off of bye, Georgia Tech coming off of a bounce back victory against VMI. Before we get into the matchup between these two teams, let's go back to the opener. I mean, I remember, I can't claim that I predicted the upset. I can't claim that I thought it would be like a super close game, but I do remember kind of not realizing how well Georgia Tech finished the season a year ago, and they had a pretty good season, a really good debut for Brent Key down there, and you know, you guys at the time seem to have shocked the world. Now the wind looks a little bit different, but that has nothing to do with you, guys. You just I mean, you can't control that. Florida State has kind of fallen apart since that victory. I guess my question is did you feel like going into this season that Georgia Tech was maybe not getting the love that maybe they deserved.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, And part of that is the word continuity. This day in college football, that's so hard to come by. And when he looked at Georgia Tech's program, not only is Brent keyback for his second year, but so is quarterback Haynes King and running back Jamal Haynes, four of five starting offensive linemen, pretty much every leading wide receiver from a year ago, quarterbacks coach Chris Winki, offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner, offensive line coach Jeep Wade, even though they found a new defensive coordinator and Tyler Santucci had a duke, there were a lot of guys back on the defensive side of the ball. So the point for me there is is like, there's a lot of guys back who understood the expectations, understood what success looked like at the end of twenty twenty three, and then you're going against a Florida State program who's doing things a little bit differently, bringing in a lot of transfers kind of year and year out, and trying to build that way. So in the way that Florida State season ended last year, I think there was something to be said about that. And then I just got the sense that, you know, I don't know, I just felt like Jeordia Tech was maybe take making that matchup a little bit more seriously than Florida State. Was not to say that the Seminoles maybe took Georgia Tech lightly, but it seemed to be a little bit more of a vacation vibe for Florida State and more of a business trip for Georgia Tech. So yeah, I wasn't surprised that Georgia Tech won. I thought it would be a close game. Now, you know, I didn't know if they would necessarily, like I said, get out of there with a win, but I thought it would be a four quarter game, and lo and behold, Georgia Tech got out of there with a win. Now, Brent Keya said, often, you know that last field goal goes six inches one way or the other, it goes over time and who knows what happened, So it's a game of benches and then Georgia Tech got the break on that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I'm not alone, britt Key.
Speaker 2: He's somebody that has really impressed a lot of folks and I think he's got a bright future there at Georgia Tech. And you know, last year, I just felt like they did enough to establish some momentum that really wasn't awarded to them preseason. And again, it all matters what you do when you actually get to games. But I feel like the ACC those that cover the league, they were looking for a team to prop up is one that could take a big leap. SMU seemed like a team people thought would really do well in this league, and so far that's not gotten off through a good start. And then obviously I think Virginia Tech got a lot of love and then they went and lost to and Andy. So I think Georgia Tech was a little more deserving of it. I can't claim, hey, I told you so, because it took them. It took them beating Florida State for me to look at him and say, Okay, they didn't lose back to back games at any point last year. They had two ranked wins. They played Georgia within within a one possession there is one possession game of Georgia last year. And then, oh, by the way, let's look at Haynes King, who was one of just four quarterbacks last year to have twenty five or more touchdowns through the air, ten or more on the ground. The other guys that did that Jaden Daniels, Caleb Williams, Dylan Gabriels. So and then you mentioned Jamal Haynes who was one of the best running backs in the league last year. I think this team has talent, They have a good coaching staff. And before we get to the specific matchup, you've now covered britt Key. This is his second season and you covered him during his debut season a year ago. What do you think makes him you know the way he is, because what would you say, what would you pinpoint makes him successful? Because I think he's got a bright future even if it isn't in Georgia Tech. Maybe he moves on down the line because he's that successful, but he seems to be a guy that has a bright future. What would you pinpoint that really makes him that guy that you know, people think could be one of the better coaches in this game moving forward?
Speaker 8: Well, He's been fortunate to come up under two great ones in Georgia Leary and Nick Saban. For those who don't know, Brent Key played at Georgia Tech. He was an offensive lineman in the nineties under Georgia Leary, then followed George down to UCF and was it UCS for about a decade before there was a transition down in Orlando and he was hired to Nick Saban's staff from twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen. So the guy has learned under two of the better college coaches of all time. I think that's number one, number two. I think he's pretty good at self assessment and honest assessment and understanding that, hey, I did this wrong, I did this right. Where can I get better?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 8: He comes from that school of Nick Saban of constantly trying to get better, constantly trying to change things. I mean, you look at the defense. You know, he knew he needed a new defensive coordinator and he went out and got one, and into this season he has learned how to navigate the transfer portal in terms of supplementing your roster and not changing it over a year and a year out he studies NFL teams. He talks a lot about roster management and studying teams like the Detroit Lions and the San Francisco forty nine ers and the Kansas City Chiefs in terms of how to build your roster, whether it's through the NFL Draft or free agency, or whether it's college through recruiting and the transfer portal. So I think he's pretty smart. He's pretty bright and understands that college football is an ever changing landscape, but he doesn't shy away from it, you know, he adapts. And then I think the other thing is is, you know, we mentioned identity a little bit, like he wants to have a team that has an identity sort of ground and pound three yards and a cloud of dust by the fourth quarter sort of identity tough and physical. Yeah, they can spread the ball around a little bit, and they can throw it a little bit, put some points on the board, but I think when they're really humming, they're gonna be a real physical team that runs the ball down in, then down out. And I think that's what made him successful and I think that's what is going to continue to make him successful in the future.
Speaker 2: You actually answered my next question, which is going to be what what would you how would you describe the identity as far as what he's aiming for? Is it fair to also say that he's he's a coach that, you know, because a lot of every coach wants to be able to motivate their guys, give them that bulletin board material, really keep them at all times, you know, energized and ready to prove something. I get the sense that and he did it last year in his first season, and just some of the things that have been said so far about this matchup coming up between the Cards and the Yellowjackets, I get the sense that he is a genuine coach, almost like Charlie Strong in a way to where no matter what, he's going to find a way to have these guys fired up to go prove themselves, even if nobody's really doubting them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no doubt. I mean, Georgia Tech is five and zero against ranked teams and the ACC they love this underdog thing. Frank, he loves this underdog mentality. He relates it to being a Georgia Tech person.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Coming up makes sense.
Speaker 8: The school, Yeah, how difficult he needs to go to school there? Now they're aallenge day day in and day out academically, and he loves he loves that mantra. He loves that narrative. It'll be curious to see, however, once Georgia Tech, if and when they, you know, make it to the top fifteen or top ten, if they're still able to hold this underdog mentality, because it already is backfired a little bit this year being in the top twenty five and losing at Syracuse. But but yeah, I think he really relates to the players, I'm sure like Jeff Brahm does with his kids. Like I've walked this campus, I've been in these classrooms.
Speaker 3: I sure you're going.
Speaker 8: Through And so I think he again, I go back to the word honesty, like I think he's a great coach in terms of being honest with guys like, look you're not ready to play yet, or look you are, and we're going to throw you in there, whether you're a freshman, whether you're a six year transfer. And I think that's really appreciated by his kids as well.
Speaker 2: Chad Bishop is our guest, joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. He covers Georgia Tech for the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I mean generic question here, what do you make of the matchup? I mean, it's hard to know anything about Lousville. They've not been tested in any way. You've seen this Georgia Tech team play a couple of AC opponents. They had a nice win against Georgia State, a nice bounce back win against was it VMI that they just played? Yeah, so so, I mean again, we're going to find out where Louisville is on Saturday. They've It's the rare late September game where you really don't mean I think fans here in town feel good about their team coming off of a special season, and they bring back some good players from that special season, but obviously a lot of portal guys as well, and they looked good in the first two games. They just happened to come against teams Dame, Jacksonville State and Austin p What do you, at least at this point expect to potentially maybe give Georgia Tech some problems in this matchup from the Louisville side of things.
Speaker 8: Well, I like the phrase you use find out. It's a find out game for.
Speaker 3: Me, right, Like, we're going to find out if first test is good. Yeah, We're going to.
Speaker 8: Find out if they're as good as those first two scores, you know, if they can do it against an ACC team. We're going to find out if this Georgia Tech team has fixed their defense, because it was pretty good against Florida State and Georgia State, but they went back to their old ways against Syracuse. The same defense we saw in twenty twenty three that couldn't stop the pass, couldn't get off the field on third down, gave up a lot of red zone scores, and now you're going to get the high powered offense at Louisville. So which team, you know, is going to prove to their fans that hey we've changed, or hey we are as good as you think we are and as we think we are. You know, Georgia Tech. They you know, some people have thrown around the word special for this team, that they could have a special season. Well you've got to go on the road and win these matchups against ranked teams. So that would be a huge proving point for them to say, hey, we are going to be player in this ACC title race despite the loss at Louisville, excuse me at Syracuse And then on the flip side, right like if you're Louisville, you're saying, yeah, we hadn't played anybody, but it doesn't matter. We're still this good and we're still going to put up a ton of points and be a good Georgia Tech team. So it's a it's a very intriguing matchup between what I think is you know, outstanding offense from Louisville and Georgia Tech defense that is suspect. And until they can prove to me that they can stop anybody, that'll be what I'm watching for on Saturday. Can they show up and stop this big time Louisville.
Speaker 2: Offense because Q has only played two games, just like Louisville has, and it was an impressive showing against Georgia Tech, and then they took care of business against Ohio.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's tough to know.
Speaker 2: I think you're gonna see a little more about who Syracuse is in their matchup coming up on Friday when they take on Stanford.
Speaker 3: But I know you watched the game.
Speaker 2: I mean I kind of felt like that was more about Syracuse being a team that everybody should look out for in the ACC more than it meaning that maybe Georgia Tech's win against Florida State was maybe not as valid. And again Florida State continues to make that loss. That win for Georgia Tech not look as good. But you know, the defense again they gave up thirty one to Syracuse. But I just have a feeling just in that game. And again it's small sample size. I think Syracuse may be putting up some points this year against a lot of teams.
Speaker 8: I think there were a couple of factors at play. First of all, you're right, props to Syracuse, man. They had an outstanding game plan. McCord hit pretty much every pass he threw, and the tight windows his wide receivers made out standing catches. Rondy Gatson had a monster game at tight end. They were motivated, you know. The coach fran Brown sort of made this mountain out of a mole hill, taking Brent Key's words and sort of twist him around, sort old school Michael Jordan like, I'm just we're disrespected. I can't believe they said that, And even Brent Key this week, I don't remember saying anything. I'm not quite sure what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 2: Not only that, he made it personal too, which again, anything to get an edge but yeah, it was his reaction after that was kind of puzzling to me because you know, and again, if you're gonna do that with your team, that's one thing, but to then take it to the podium just seemed odd misplaced energy.
Speaker 3: Is what I was what I felt it did.
Speaker 8: So but again, you know, props for Syracuse for doing it that way. The other thing that I thought a lot about, and this is nothing that you know, Georgia Tech has said, and they would certainly never make excuses, but from from an outsider's perspective, you know, Tech had to go all the way to Dublin and back. They had a home opener against an insant rivalry at eight pm the following week. Then they had to get back on the plane and go up to Syracuse, New York for a noon kickoff against a team who hadn't left its campus.
Speaker 3: And you could just.
Speaker 8: Sort of tell Georgia Tech came out flat, looked like they were walking through quicksand a little bit. They turned it on in the fourth quarter with fourteen points to make it a game. But but I do think the sort of the wear and tear of a long July August preseason camp coupled with a lot of travel had them a little bit flat early on in that game. So all those factors combined I think led to the loss. But yeah, you're right about Syracuse. I mean, we'll find out more about them. They look like a team that has some talent and has some pieces. It's you know, you know how it is, man, It's sure, Hember, we all think we know, we don't know, but again, Saturday is the day that we will start to find out for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, just hearing from Haines King on the ACC Network, also listening to to coach Keys press conference earlier, I mean, I'm sure he emphasizes every game, especially conference games, is having a lot of importance. I don't want to act as if they're dressing this level matchup as a chance to go shock the world, because that's not really what it is. However, you know, these guys, I know they all say let's take it one day at a time, but they're humans. They know what the schedule looks like. And if you look at Georgia Tech's schedule, even if the little end up being a team that is you know, borderline top twenty, which is where they are right now. I mean it's still more it's probably viewed as a better chance to win than some of the other games. I mean, you've already played Florida State, knock them off, but you also still have to go play Notre Dame, You've got to play Miami. You have Georgia again, You've got NC State, who still could end up being pretty good. Like if I'm Georgia Tech, I look at this it is one of the not rare opportunities to get a win left on the schedule. But you know, if you want to have a good season that is not just Bowl eligible, but maybe you know, eight wins, I mean you look at this as a big is a big chance because and that's not to say, you know, Louisville is one of the worst team we're gonna play, we better go win. But you know, you got Georgia, you got Miami.
Speaker 8: That's how I looked at this thing going in is Georgia Tech is going to reach that next level of eight and nine wins. They have to win the so called you know, fifty to fifty toss up games. So they've already lost one of them, not Syracuse in my mind, but you know they beat Florida State, which on paper was a game they were supposed to lose, So they sort of split those first couple of opportunities. Duke North Carolina looking at the game at Virginia Tech, and like you mentioned Saturday, are games that on paper, Georgia Tech should be in in the fourth quarter and has a chance to steal a win. You don't expect them to beat a notre dame, not necessarily, don't expect them maybe to beat Miami, who's looking like their world beaters right now, and you don't expect them, honestly to go on the road and beat Georgia at year's end. So you have to get some of these games where the matchup is a little bit more favorable, maybe a little bit more even, where you have a chance again in the fourth quarter to get it done. So yeah, again, like you said, Georgia Tech's not looking down the road saying, hey, we got to get this one, because we're not going to get this one. But you're right, this is a game I'm sure they're confident about. They're refocused, the retooled, they're refreshed coming off that fifty nine to seven win over VMI where they rested a ton of starters in the second half, and I'm sure they know in the back of the mind that, hey, you already got one loss in conference play, you can't afford another, so you got to go get this one on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually think from the Louisville side, you should be not that you should ever take them lightly, but I think them losing to Q is going to have them even more keyed up for this game. No pun intended, because obviously you know you've already lost one of those fifty fifty games as you mentioned, So yeah, should be a good matchup. Last question I've got for you chat. I know you spent a lot of time here in the state of Kentucky throughout your career. What do you miss the most, if anything, about this this fine place we call Kentucky.
Speaker 8: You know, I would say the accessibility to Bourbon.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a good answer.
Speaker 8: Not that not that it's hard to find in Atlanta by any means, but you know, it's funny, like I tell people, you know, I think I hit the Bourbon trail back and maybe I don't know, eleven, twelve, thirteen, before bourbon became a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before the big boom.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I went to Willett and Makers and heaven Hill, and you know, it was so fun and I was into it, and man, I wish I would have known then what I know now. Are have been scooping up bottles left and right, and so I'm excited to get to the liquor barns of the world. There we go and hit some places and pick up some bottles that maybe you can't find down here in Atlanta. And then, you know, I'll say, the people, man, I love the people of Kentucky. You know, my father in law and my mother in law live up there and still got a ton of friends in the Bowling Green area and the Louisville area, and everybody's always so nice up in the Bluegrass. So looking forward to getting back up there for the weekend.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, Chad. Great to catch up with you, man. Keep up your great work and we will talk soon down the line, my man.
Speaker 3: All right, no, man, see you take care.
Speaker 2: That's Chad Bishop of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Good stuff there. We got to run quick break. We'll come back and tell you goodbye.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: We are wrapping up a busy, hectic show that I feel like went by insanely fast.
Speaker 3: That happens.
Speaker 2: You know what they say, time flies when you're having fun, right, eh, I'll use the very little time I have left for something very important, and that is to remind you once again about the Jefferson Animal Hospital and how important it is to donate blood, not just yourself, you know that, but for pets. So your dog or cat can donate blood just like we can. If your dog is over fifty pounds or your cat is at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be a pet blood donor, where every donation can save up to four to six live and there's also other benefits by your pet becoming a blood donor, including regular examinations, blood work, vaccines, all of that done at the Jefferson Animal Hospital on Outer Loop. We appreciate those folks over there at Jefferson Animal Hospital. Also had a good conversation earlier about them with their team. If you missed it, make sure you check out the podcast. But you can get more information on how your dog or cat can become a pet blood donor by calling five O two nine hundred Pets or visiting pet bloodbank dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, that's it.
Speaker 2: We've concluded the two days where there's no football, and we come back tomorrow. We got some college football action. I'm excited about. We got Thursday night football in the NFL. I love it, man, and I'm probably doing I'm probably overdoing it as far as just, you know, emphasizing how much I love football season. But you know what, it's just the truth. Life's better when football season's going on. At least that's the way I see it. So you guys have a good night. We're back at it tomorrow, and I hope you guys will join us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety the