Speaker 1: It's the thirty fifth annual Salute to Seniors. It is part of the Colorado Gerontological societies thirty fifth celebration. And joining me now is the executive director of the Colorado Gerontological Gerontological Society, Eileen Doherty.
Speaker 2: Eileen, welcome to the show, Nuche.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to be here with you.
Speaker 1: First of all, what is the Colorado Gerontological Society.
Speaker 2: Let's start with that.
Speaker 4: Non process organization that was established in nineteen eighty and we work in three basic different areas. We work in education, training and information. We work in some legislative public policy work, and then we do some we don't call them. They're like not direct services in the sense that it's not like a home care agency, but we like I have a grant program to help people with dental services, and we match volunteers with telephone buddies, and we deliver a Christmas baskets and holiday baskets over the holidays.
Speaker 3: So we do some of those kinds of programming, right.
Speaker 4: And then, like say, we do some legislative work, mostly at the state level, but sometimes we get drawn into the national stuff on Medicare or social security as well.
Speaker 1: I think that's all incredibly important because I used to sell Medicare supplements.
Speaker 2: This is where this is coming from, what I'm about to say, And.
Speaker 1: Just at a point when some seniors, certainly not all seniors, maybe have some trouble grasping things right, understanding things complicated new, we throw them into the Medicare system, which is completely different and complicated. I'm glad you guys work on that kind of stuff. Let's talk about the thirty fifty and it will salute to seniors.
Speaker 2: What is this event all about?
Speaker 4: So it's an senior expo, if you will, and we've always prided ourselves in making it a fun event that is also then filled with lots of education, information and resources. So there's entertainment, there's lots of games. There's lots of food vendors joining us this year, so there'll be a lot of opportunity to just experience different things, play trivia.
Speaker 3: Play bingo.
Speaker 4: We're doing a new program this year called Triangles, which is a math program, so there'll.
Speaker 3: Be lots of things to do.
Speaker 4: And we have about fifty different vendors that have joined us with information on resources for seniors as well, so they range the gamut from housing, to medical alert equipment to a wide variety of things home care agencies, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So pretty much anything you would need for yourself or an aging parent. It sounds like you're going to be able to get some information here at this event. You're also giving away a couple of pairs of Broncos tickets. I mean, you've got some fun stuff going on. Is there going to be food? Is there going to be music? Is it going to be a fun party.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a fun party.
Speaker 4: So yes, Sprouts and Target and Sam's Club are all donating snack kinds of food and drinks, so there's lots of snacks and foods going on. There's instrums candy, so we've got lots of good support from the food vendors. There will be some entertainment. Eddie Kendrick from Pork Collins, who's a guitar player, will be joining us with some country music, and then there'll be a trio that will play like rock and kind of soft music.
Speaker 3: As I said, there's bingo.
Speaker 4: Additionally, the Bronco tickets are pre season tickets.
Speaker 3: There's also lots of drawings.
Speaker 4: Sprouts is giving away one hundred dollars a couple of hundred dollars gift cards as Giano's given away one hundred dollars gift card.
Speaker 3: Waterway has given us five.
Speaker 4: Free car washes, both inside and outside your car.
Speaker 2: I want one of those, yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: Enter, so sorry, it'll be available for somebody else. We also got a large number of candles and plants and various things donated from Target, and so there'll be lots and lots of drawings and different things to give away tomorrow.
Speaker 1: I put a link to the blog on my blog at mandy'sblog dot com to your website so people can sign up. Do you have to r s VP? Does it cost anything to come? What does that process look like?
Speaker 4: You do not have to r s VP, it's suggested, but at this like date, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: The event is free.
Speaker 4: Additional, we are at the Greek Events Center, which is at forty six to ten East Alameda, so there is parking on the Greek Events campus. Additionally, we have some parking that's available at the Jewish Community Center, which is on the other side of Dallias Street and Leedsdale, and there's also parking at Augustana Lutheran Church in of Age is going to rotate their buses, so there'll be a central place where you can get picked up and you just park your car in one of those lots and then they'll bring you up to the campus, so that hopefully people will be able to navigate that easier.
Speaker 3: The other thing I've.
Speaker 4: Forgot to mention in terms of things to do, which again I wish I had wasn't running the show, but the Assumption Cathedral Church is going to be doing a guided tour of the church with and if you have never been in the church, there's an incredible amount of art and statuary there and they're going to be running a tour of that, so that's another feature. Additionally, Forny Museum of Transportation is going to be bringing four classic cars, so if you're into old cars, come join us and talk with the folks from forty So there are lots lots of things to do.
Speaker 3: There will also be a farmer's market. It sounds photo booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like a great way to spend a day.
Speaker 1: I mean a great way. It starts at nine thirty goes until three. I've got a link to the website. The website is Senioranswers dot org and from there it's very easy to find the information about the event. Eileen, this sounds absolutely fantastic. I hope you have an absolutely smashing Saturday as you celebrate seniors at the thirty five annual Salute to Seniors event.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for making time for you.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you. I hope all your listeners can join us.
Speaker 1: All right, that is Eileen door Arnie. Thank you so much. And that sounds like a very nice way to spend a day with your with your folks. If your folks are older, or maybe you're getting older, head on down and get
Speaker 2: All that good information.