Speaker 1: Bill cunning Endigrant America. Welcome to someone Randy Afternoon in the tri States. Coming up later as Michael Wright scheduling. Michael Wright, he's the attorney for the estate Shall Always Saved the eighteen year old who was killed at the hands of Cincinnati police because of his behavior. That's the estate of Ryan Hinton, eighteen years old plus. Later on we're going to talk about the arrangment, further arrangment and no bond hearing set this morning and the father's charges, that being Rodney Hinton. But until then you may not know it or not. This is an election day, and I'm thinking, are you kidding me? It's an election and we have the man in charge of elections in the state of OHI Frank LaRose, Secretary of State. And Frank, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Frank, how are you?
Speaker 2: Ben Willie? And it is election day. The polls have been open for hours and they're ready to go. Over three thousand voting locations open until seven thirty tonight. Only two Percentable Highlands have already voted through the early voting process. That it means ninety eight percent of you need to still get out and make your voice heard. Yep, that's it.
Speaker 3: Two two percent.
Speaker 1: So there's a ways to go to get to fifty percent, which is impossible. Tony Bender wants to know what about state issue too, because I know everything I think. I just I like to communicate that to my listeners. Actually, I know nothing about state issue too. So can you tell me to vote yay or nay of state issue too? Or can you not give me a yes or no? Just tell me what it is? Which is it?
Speaker 2: I'd be happy to tell you how I voted. My wife and I went and voted early at the Franklin County Board of Elections on Saturday, and we both voted yes on issue too. If you want to do your own homework, vote Ohio dot gov is our website. You'll see the full language of the amendment. If you want to look at it, you'll see an argument, a very concise argument for it, and a very concise argument against it. But here's the simple way to understand this. This is a decades old infrastructure program in Ohio that borrows money to pay for roads and bridges and water and sewer. I would call this the good kind of government spending. We all know about the nonsense government spending. This is the stuff that Trump and Musk have been rooting out through dog and there are plenty of things that at least the federal level that they waste money on. Infrastructure, though, is a smart investment when you're building roads and building bridges and water and sewer. This is the stuff that our economy rides on. That's why a lot of the business groups like the Chamber of Commerce and others have been strong supporters of a yes vote on issue too. It allows the state legislature to borrow five or sorry two point five billion dollars over the next few decades to invest that money at the local level. It has worked well for Ohio over the last few decades, and I think it's a smart thing. But again, do your own homework, vote high, dot, and go for all the information. By the way, it has nothing to do with football stadiums anywhere. There's been some confusion about this. As you know, I'm a life long Browns fan. I understand you guys have a football team down there at Cincinnati as well that you all love and you should. But this has nothing to do with the debate that's currently happening in the state legislature they are debating whether they will do a bond program to borrow money for a football stadium. This has nothing to do with that issue, too, is a completely separate thing.
Speaker 1: So if this is intertwined with the Cleveland Browns not real popular in Cincinnati, or the Bengals not real popular in Cleveland, or with Ohio State, they get all the money anyway, because all you guys in Columbus take care of Ohio State. This has nothing to do with building stadiums. This is about continuing roads and bridges things like that. Correct, nothing to do.
Speaker 2: That's it. If you don't like potholes, if you want clean water and good sewer systems that work when you flush the toilet, then a vote yes on ISSUQ would be my recommendation. Again, it invests money in infrastructure only, and it does it at the local level. And that's what's important to point out.
Speaker 3: You brought it up about the dose, etc.
Speaker 1: We have a candidate for governor who I think is going to be endorsed to state wide on Friday by the state Republican Party, which.
Speaker 3: Is quite unusual.
Speaker 1: Normally, you Republicans let primaries determine by the voters who to vote for, and normally it's hands off. You got two or three qualified people running for governor. David yost have had him on repeatedly, Mammy, even more than I've had you on. Is a very popular attorney general, wins every time he runs. He's announced for governor. David Yosho would be a good governor. We have another candidate running for vike Ramaswami that everyone's endorsing, beginning with Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: I know you're endorsed him. Got in early.
Speaker 1: And why is the Republican Party, which is supposedly organized to let the voters decide in primaries who to vote for, gonna tip the scales in favor of Aveke Ramaswami against David yos who's been there for the past thirty years in one office or another.
Speaker 3: Can you answer that question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're right to mention David's a good man and a good public servant. But my strong choice is for Viveke Ramaswami. I was the first to endorse him because I believe that Vivek will be a transformational governor, not just a good governor, not a company governor, a transformational governor for Ohio. That's why I'm supporting him. My endorsement isn't the one that matters the most. That one comes from President Trump, who early on endorsed Bleveik. He referred to Vevek as something special and talked about him as a generational leader. Now, listen, it's still up to the voters. That always will be for them to decide who they want their party's nominee to be. They will make that decision next spring when the state holds it primary. I support the party endorsing Vivek. And there's a simple really two reasons why the party has a responsibility to give the seal of approval, to give a nod to who they think is the best person. Most voters are busy people. They have families to raise, the businesses to run, and they're looking for some indication from the state party who they believe would be our best candidate. And for the state party to endorse is not an unusual thing. In fact, they've endorsed in primaries throughout their history. It did last year they endorsed President Trump. Ohio is the first state in the country to endorse President Trump, and so it is a normal and expected thing for the party to do that. But again, I'm supporting him because I think he's the guy that can really transform Ohio. He's got great energy, great vision. Well, let me describe it to you like this. In the military, we have leaders that we have to follow because they've got more rank than us, and everybody just kind of grits their teeth and does what the commander says because he's got more rank on his sleeve than you do. But Big is that rare kind of leader that you follow because you want to. He's got a clear vision, he articulates it well. He got the energy to carry that vision out, and he also has the courage, the courage to get tough things done, like eliminating the state income text, which is one of the major proposals he's been talking about, improving public education in Ohio, improving our energy grid in Ohio, things that really are necessary for Ohio to be a state of excellence. I think viak Ramaswami is the man to deliver on that, and I think that the Republican Party should endorse him when they meet on Friday.
Speaker 1: Frank LeRose played Devil's advocate. He wants to get rid of the state income tax, which is like two or three percent. There's another group that wants to get rid of the state property tax. We have no property taxes, then we have no income taxes. One might ask, how does the state raise about sixty billion dollars a year If there's no income tax and no property tax, where does the money come from. There's a tree behind city Hall and the one plumb street that Charlie Luken used to say, I go back there and shake the money tree and the money just falls out. So if we have no income tax and no property tax, where hell does the money come from? All these things are popular in the vacuum.
Speaker 2: Sure, there is a group that wants to eliminate the property tax. I think that may be a little bit of a of a bad plan. I think what we should do is cap the property tax. I think property taxes are entirely too high. One of the reasons I'm running for state auditor, by the way, is that I think that we need to scrutinize the way local government spends money so that they're not constantly coming to the ballot for another tax increase over and over again. That's property tax, income tax. Listen, we compete with forty nine other states and many states throughout this country have eliminated their income tax, States like Texas, states like Florida State, Flke, Tennessee that in many cases never had one. If Ohio is going to compete in the modern economy to attract talent to our state and to attract businesses to our state, I think it's time that we continue phasing out and in short order eliminate the state income tax. And by the way, other states find ways to raise the revenue they need through sales taxes and that kind of thing, that we can fund the essential services of state government, which of course we want to do. We want to have police officers and good public schools and all those kind of things that state government needs to buy. But the income tax is a bad way of doing it, and I think it's time that Ohio joins a lot of other states and gets rid of that. That's one of the things that Pavec is running on, and.
Speaker 1: Frank leros on property taxes. I don't think it should be eliminated. But if someone's a senior citizen on a fixed income, if the house is less than no know'll pick a number three hundred thousand dollars and they have an income of fifty thousand dollars sixty thousand dollars a year. You don't pay state income tax on Social Security, but you pay federal tax. Maybe that's going to change. Ken I'm sensitive to older Americans that don't have a lot of assets, that have to sell their house bills they can't afford.
Speaker 3: What can you do to keep property taxes? But put a cap.
Speaker 1: If you're a senior citizen on a fixed income without a half million dollars in assets, without a job that's paying you five hundred thousand dollars a year, how do you fashion it to keep the old folks in the community because they pay taxes their whole life.
Speaker 3: How do you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're absolutely right, especially for those seniors that paid off their homes or for people like me that are still paying a mortgage. When you look at your interest payment and your principal payment and it's starting to look like your property taxes are just as much as your interest. In principle, it's un American. And there are two things that lead to this problem. One is again, wasteful spending at the local level needs to be screwed. That's something that the state auditor can do and the other thing is that they need to have a cap on property tax. Rather a cap on property tax would help prevent these big increases that we've seen in recent years. That's something that I think our next governor of Big Bronswami, working with our state legislature, will get done. And that's why I'm a big supporter of that. For seniors, the state of Ohio has a thing currently called the homestead exempt by a very small measure of release to seniors, but it's not nearly enough, and I think we need to boost that now.
Speaker 1: Lastly, you bring up police officers this community. I know you're a high flute and politician there in Columbus, but you're also a military man. And we had a terrible incident in which a father, thirty eight year old Rodney Hinton, used his car as a weapon to kill Deputy Sheriff Larry Henderson last week. And we have a situation here where the eighteen year old his son was hoisting was jack and cars all over northern Kentucky, driving them into Ohio to use for various purposes, including committing crimes using a Kia or a Hyundai. It's not their vehicle and the police recalled. They come to the scene. The eighteen year old boy runs. He's got in his possession a nine millimeter with an extended mag The officers say the gun was pointed at them and had the ability to shoot about thirty two projectiles in about six seconds. The officer took quick notice of that fact and shot and killed Ryan Hinton, who's eighteen years old. I have his attorney, the attorney for the estate, coming up in about an hour. His name is Michael Wright. And at this point, there was a hearing hell this morning in municipal court in which my friend judged tyrone Yates. And I mean my friend, he's a good guy. We used to practice law together. Set no bond in the case of the father who murdered in cold blood a police officer. You travel the state, you go to Cleveland, unfortunately in Toledo and Columbus and Cincinnati. Have you noticed a general lack of respect for law enforcement in every major city, not just in Ohio, but around the country.
Speaker 2: I think there are a small minority of Ohioans that don't respect law enforcement. I think the vest mcburry of us do. I was with a group of sheriff's deputies last night in Clinton County, and they all have had the black bands on their badge because they were in mourning for their brother, Deputy Henderson. And so we need to first and foremost keep his family and his brother deputies, brother and sister deputies in our prayers. Every day we ask good men and women to put on a badge and a gun and to go out there and to risk their lives to protect our safety. Anyone who would dare try to or be successful in taking the life of one of our dear public servants, one of these great law enforcement officers deserves to have the full force of the law brought down them. I think that somebody like that you need to make an example of them so that people see that this is not something that we as a society would ever tell. These are our finest or finest Ohioans that serve us in law enforcement. And guess what, ninety nine point nine percent of the time, these are men and women that follow their training and do the right thing. And on those rare occasions when somebody doesn't do the right thing, there will be consequences for it. They will have to pay the price if they don't follow their training, and they don't do the right thing. But someone taking the law into their own hands is completely unacceptable. And this perpetrator, if the facts prove this out, it's the full penalty that's available to him, and.
Speaker 1: It's supposedly it's a death penalty. But my friend and yours, Mike Dwine, doesn't. He kind of mouths the idea that I'm in favor of the death penalty, but in reality he isn't because he will not sign a death warrant. Do you have some indication if a fake Ramaswami is the governor that he would sign death warrants for those who purposely murder police officers.
Speaker 2: I have to let him speak for himself on that issue. As much time as we spent out on the campaign trail, I've not heard him articulate his his stance on that, but I'm sure he has a well thought out one. I'll say this that I'm generally one that believes that the death penalty should be used very sparingly. In many cases, it just doesn't make sense. I put the case is somebody that in Wanton cold blood kills a law enforcement officer. That's one of the times that that the death penalty definitely should be applied doesn't apply.
Speaker 1: And if Hamilton County doesn't prosecute him with a spec death penalty, spec, we don't have.
Speaker 3: A death penalty.
Speaker 1: I felt the same thing in Clairemont County when that young father purposely murdered as three boys in cold blood, three children, and they decided Clairemont County not to have a spec death penalty and gain life imprisonment without possibility of pearl.
Speaker 3: Claremont County doesn't have a death penalty.
Speaker 1: And if this is not prosecuted as a death penalty case, we don't have a death penalty in Hamlet County. And if it's applied that haphazardly, we shouldn't have the death penalty. If people like this don't get it, we might as well not have one. But once again, Frank Leroe, Secretary State, thanks for coming on. And you say vote yes an issue too, And if you need more explanation, check out the website vote Ohio dot gov. It explains what it is. It has nothing to do with stadiums, has nothing to do with that. It's about roads and bridges and sewer systems, things like that. And once again, Frank LeRose, you're a soldier and Secretary of state and you're going to become what the auditor in about a year and a half.
Speaker 3: Is that the deal?
Speaker 2: God Willing? I'm running for Auditor of State and listen a local elections matter. Get out and vote. The polls are up until seven thirty tonight. Will even give you a free sticker when you come to vote.
Speaker 1: I promise plus a two percent turnout so far, there's a little ways to go.
Speaker 3: Will there be a ten percent turnout? Is that possible?
Speaker 2: Gosh? I hope. So I'm not holding my breath. One hundred and seventy two thousand, six hundred and fifty two, one hundred and seventy two, six hundred and fifty two Ohioans have voted already through the early voting period. That means two percent. That means about ninety eight percent of us still need to get off our bucks, get out there and vote and do our our CIC duty.
Speaker 1: Now, this is about ten thousand different ways to vote. That sounds to me like voter suppression. But we'll see what happens. Uh, Frank, Thank you very much for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show, especially your comments on law enforcement.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Thanks, Let's continue with more.
Speaker 1: And of course Franklin Rose himself is a soldier, so he's in the reserves, he served active duty, et cetera. And so I love having individuals on like Franklin Rose. Let's continue with more. My comments next on not Guilty by Reason of Insanity and also the comments of Clyde Bennett this morning during the arrangement the second arrangement of the murderer of Deputy Sheriff Larry Henderson Bill Cunningham on seven hundred WLW