Speaker 1: You're list sings KFI AM six forty the Bill Handle Show on demand on the iHeartRadio f and this is KFI Bill Handle and the Morning Crew on a Wednesday morning, August fourteenth. Some of the stories we're looking at Tropical Storm Ernesto in Puerto Rico, lots of rain and dismissing Puerto Rico by the way, it's going right past. It doesn't matter when you have a storm of that size, going to be a hurricane too. So that's one of the big stories we're looking at. And then last yesterday, President Biden made his cancer funding announcement. The cancer moonshot, as he has been describing it four years. Spending in this case was one hundred and fifty million dollars in grants to cut the cancer death rate in half. I think twenty forty five, I think, is what he said. All right, Now, we had that earthquake that happened a couple of days ago. It was small magnitude four point five for earthquake. Yeah, no damage was reported. I didn't even feel it and where was it. It was a small rupture, I mean a small few hundred feet of a fault and it's known as the Puente Hills thrust fault system, which you probably never heard of. You know, Puente Hill's fault thrust system a big deal. Well, we know how dangerous the San Andrea's fault is. We know how horrific an earthquake if it moved along the San Andreas fault, because it is huge. You can in Palmdale you can actually see the fault line, the Palmdale budge a bulge. If you go up there, you can actually see where that fault line lies. It's right there at the surface. It's called the Palmdale Bulge. Fat people usually go there a lot, see the bulish fat people. Well, as we know how dangerous San Andreas is, it doesn't compare with a twenty Hills thrust fall system, not even close. Because what the twenty Hills thrust system does it goes directly underneath the most congested part of southern California. And if it goes, man, we're looking at some real, real damage. Let me give you a worst case scenario. If the San Andreas fault really does this thing and zips all the way to the La County Mountains, they're looking at a death toll of eighteen hundred people. That's a seven point eight percent quake or a seven point eight quake on the Richter scale. All right, so now let's look at a seven point five magnitude earthquake on the Pwenty Hills thrust fault system. Okay, it's not as big as the San Andreas fault, but according to the US Geological Survey and the Southern California Earthquake Center, you're looking at three three thousand to eighteen thousand deaths and far far more dangerous, a lot more damage. Now we know the San Andreas fault. It's average every hundred years, and we're sort of due for it, which means it's coming next week. I just want to point that out. And there's a good chance you're not going to be alive that listen to the show. So our ratings are going to go down fairly dramatically. However that happens. We're due about every hundred years, the big one, the Puente Hills thrust fault, across its line going right under Southern California. I'm talking about Korea Town, Downtown LA. I mean, all of it. Really dense areas that happens every thousand years, give or take. Is what the seismologists are saying, and they don't know the last time it happened, no idea. Not we know the earthquakes that have hit the last one hundred, one hundred fifty two hundred years, that's easy. This one we have no idea. And what happens is the point the Hills Thrust fould is also under the La Basin directly, and that's soft sediment, so that is even worse. By the way, the last major quake on the San Andreas fault was eighteen fifty seven, and that was about seven point eight, and so we're due. We're absolutely due. Nineteen eighty seven the Whittier Narrows earthquake five point nine, Whittier downtown. The buildings were in real trouble because what ends up happening. And now it's better because modern co modern building codes take into effect earthquakes. So now you have foundations, you bolt down houses. You know, when I prior to the Persian Palace, I lived in Hancock Park adjacent I had a duplex building was built in nineteen twenty seven. It was not bolted to the foundation, sat on the foundation. Now, when I bought it, I immediately retrofitted it bolted it down, put up all kinds of reinforcements along the wall, made the walls thicker, more resilient to earthquakes, but a lot of people didn't, and what ended up happening during the quake is you had houses that just literally slipped a few inches off the foundation because they weren't even bolted down. Complete losses. You can't put a house back onto a foundation, complete loss and that is the problem because this quake or this fault goes underneath parts of the city that are not retrofitted that the homes are very old. Let me ask you, Neil, your house is what nineteen ten is? Has it been earthquake retrofilled? Nineteen twelve?
Speaker 2: Yes, completely, that was one of the first things we looked at. It's been the foundation was all shored up and it was bolted down.
Speaker 1: And was that the previous owner, Yes, yes, they did it.
Speaker 2: But you know what's funny is we've talked to a lot of people who grew up here around it and passed down generationally, and the chimney has come down maybe five times and now it's a completely different setup. But those brick chimneys came down all the time.
Speaker 1: You know, You can't put in a brick chimney in Los Angeles anymore. They don't let you.
Speaker 2: So ours is not that anymore. It's stucco and all of that. And it's a firebox.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, you can put You can put brick up to a firebox level. But going up, if you have brick, that's all fake. Yeah yeah, which makes a lot of sense because you don't want to be near a chimney made out of brick if you're walking when the big earthquake comes. So just a quick strap everything down, please, You know, for those of you that are into that kinky stuff, you already have all of the equipment you need, just in anticipation of the earthquake which is going to come. We're done, guys, all right. Donald Trump tried to get a new judge in his hush money case and once again asked that Juan Mershon, the judge, be removed, and judge had stop it. You're doing this over and over again. I'm not going to rehash everything I've already ruled. And this has to do with Mershon's daughter having been involved in some political democratic political activity, and Mershon said no, all right, now talking about what happened with Donald Trump. You know, one of the things that I find fascinating is, for example, you've got Walls who made that comment I don't know how many years ago about when he was in the Army reserves and it was weapons of war and he hated that and I was in the war and he wasn't, and Vance nailed him on that. He's a liar. He was never in combat. And this was a statement that Walls made and he did make it, by the way, And what's happening is the Democrats and Walls are deflecting it and saying he just talks about walls service and twenty four years in the service and he's proud of it and won't denegrate a Dvance. Okay, So with that, I'm going to give I'm going to give Walls a pass for whatever he said. I also give Donald Trump a pass for what he says a lot, because Donald Trump generally shoots from the hip and he says things, and you know, that's who he is. The problem is he doesn't stop saying it over and over again. Talking about Kamala Harris and her race. She's not black, She's just decided to be black. Now huh, doubles downs, doubles down on it. So in his interview, this is Trump and Musk, and this was really touted is a big deal on X two hours softball interview. Trump sort of did it again. In this case. He is talking about United auto Workers union and he has had a fight with Faine, who was president of the Auto Workers for a long time. The auto workers they're Democrats, you know. The union guys vote for Democrats. And Trump is trying to get and has succeeded to some extent to get union voters go for him. He is in favor of the union, the unions, and the union worker, which you have some questions about that. So during the interview with Musk, he says, you're the greatest cutter. I mean basically, this was saying we're talking about must not tolerating workers to go on strike. Trump goes on, I mean, look what you do. You walk in, you just say you want to quit. They go on strike. I will mention the name of the company. But they go on strike, and you say, that's okay, you're all gone. Now. It's against the law for any worker to be fired for going on strike. It's illegal. They are protected when they go on strike, and Trump has said, you know, good for you for firing workers that go on strike. Well, you know, the UAW got a little bit upset and they came out and they filed The UAW has filed a labor relations complaint saying that somehow Trump and Musk's haid something illegal, which you know, they're trying to get people to try to interfere with strikes all or that's crap, you know, it's just bs. Of course they're going to go no place with that. But the point is is that it is a difficult move for a Republican to try to convince union workers that he or she is on their side. That is not easy to do. Trump to some extent has succeeded by arguing, I'm the guy that protects your jobs. Okay, I mean he can argue with that one all day long. However, you know, to go on and interview and say I'm thrilled with you if there's a strike, you fire them, congratulations. Huh. Now here is what one of the arguments that Trump is saying he is in favor of the auto workers specifically, and that is he wants to put one hundred percent tariff on Chinese made EV's electric vehicles, which will protect American workers. And that you know, when you think about it, if you make it prohibitive for Chinese made evs or any product to come into the United States by putting one hundred percent tariff, boy, that shuts down the market. And you know how big the Chinese sold EV market is in the United States. You know how many Chinese ees they actually sold last year or this year? Zero? Not a one is being sold in America. So let me get this straight. All right, I'm going to protect union workers by putting one hundred percent tax on cars that are not coming in now that no one is selling. But I'm going to protect you because they can't sell and I want to make sure they won't And it's is that gonna fly with union workers? No, I don't think so. I don't think so. So you know, and I know you know where I said politically as far as Trump and Harris is concerned. So I'm not going to get into that, but I will tell you that the Trump campaign at this point is scrambling. What's the message? We have to do something. They were not prepared for Joe Biden to drop out oh, by the way, here is also here's the new tactic. It is unconstitutional for Harris to run for president. It was a coup. Why because because Joe Biden won the primary and now Harris is the nominee. That is unconstitutional. I can't wait for that lawsuit to be filed for sure, And I guess the argument is therefore, if it is unconstitutional for Harris to run, one of two things happen. Either Joe Biden must continue running even though he doesn't want to, so they're gonna call the political police and arrest him if he bails out. So I don't think that's a problem there. The other issue, of course, it is not unconstitutional. And the whole the lawsuits are going to file. And by the way, have you noticed the rigged election talk is now starting to ramp up. It is now coming. The rigged election talk is now starting to really ramp up. And as of right now, there's honeymoon going on with Kamala Harris. We don't know if that's going to continue on the polls half turned could be because she was just nominated. No one knows, no one has any idea. But if the polls continue to somehow prevail in Harris's in Harris acide on Harris's side and she gets traction. You will see it's a rigged election. Explode and the lawsuits are going to start flying. Guaranteed they were. Last time, sixty three lawsuits were filed federally and across states to hold the election invalid. Can't wait for this one to happen. So anyway, and by the way, the Trump campaign is very, very professional. I mean, he's got top notch advisors doing the work. He's just not listening of them. That's the problem. Harris, I think, parrots ever thing her advisor says. If you go up there and say hello to Kamala Harris, you go hello, madam Vice President, what will happen? She'll look at you, but you'll look over your shoulder because there's a teleprompter behind you in which she talks to you. All right. There is a complaint by an employee of La City attorney Heidi Feldstein Sodo, alleging that Feldstein Soto the office searched the emails of employees, particularly this one. And here is the issue, because this employee had been vocal about problems in the office and then all of a sudden emails were looked at, and you would think that as an out and out violation. You can't do that or the other side of it. Hey, if it is a company email and it goes on the server, you're wide open to have it looked at by the company. Now. I always thought, and most people do that if you use a company server. There's no such thing as a private email. Neil, you were in management for many, many years. Isn't that the policy of iHeart that they can read anything that goes out on an iHeart server personal not personal.
Speaker 2: I can't you know, speak to that specifically as management because I'm not anymore. But I do recall seeing, you know, we get those things that would pop up saying that used to say, yeah, that they were their servers and using their email that they have a right to. I haven't seen that in a long time.
Speaker 1: But well, and here's ways I brought it up. This complaint has just been filed and it's not clear. It is not clear. I thought it was crystal clear. There's no such thing as a private email. If you're at work and it turns out that line is fuzzy, there may be a violation if a private email is looked into maybe and what an attorney was interviewed for this story said, you have to look at the intent of the employer. Whenever you say you have to look at the intent, boy, you're now in a mess, because how do you establish intent? Well, in this case, well, here are the rules according to it. There was a case that went at the Supreme Court in twenty ten City of Ontario versus Kwan, and the court said that the company, as a matter of fact, did have the right to go ahead interfere with or at least look at private emails and the privacy rights had not been violated. The search was reasonable going through emails. And here is is if it's, for example, to figure out what work has to be done, you're on vacation and you have a big project or there's an important project, does the employer have a right to go into your email, find out where it's going, how far it's gone, so they can switch it over to someone. Yeah, that's reasonable because that's for the benefit of the company. There's nothing unreasonable about that. How about just a phishing expedition. We're going to go through the emails and we have an algorithm that if you, for example, pornography was a big one. You can't do it. Of course, people have been caught looking at porno at work. And by the way, that's so unusual, because no one ever looks at porno at work. You know, They've been study after study saying that that just doesn't happen in American business. Right at work? Seriously, of course, they everybody looks at porno at work.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm looking at a lot of shocked faces here.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about business in general. Now, I have been caught doing it a few times, but my argument is, I'm doing this for the purposes of the show. Okay, sex with Chickens dot Com is not because I'm excited about it. It's because I'm doing a story on it. By the way, I want to point something out. When you go on the Internet, you can come up with any crazy, depraved act you can possibly think of, put a dot com after it, and just press search and you will find a world chat rooms clubs out there. But the point is the governor the company and I was told very early on saying, you go on the internet and you look, we have the ability to check it out. Well maybe not. Let's turn around for me that's for sure. Now I know you can't talk about well you know what people? Have people gotten in trouble during your tenure? Neil for inappropriate you.
Speaker 2: Uh, I don't know that I can say. Quite honestly, I really don't that's not no. I don't know that I could say, and I wouldn't want to I wouldn't want to say.
Speaker 1: So, okay, so how about this a hypothetical company. But you know what you did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can mentioned names, but I think you know what you did.
Speaker 1: I know what I did. I never got in trouble for it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. So now so now you don't want me to.
Speaker 1: Say, Okay, okay, I never got you. You know why. I mean, you know what my defense is. You know what my defense is. Here we go first amendment. Uh, looking at the show for research purposes, looking at that site for research purposes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the underage chickens was yes.
Speaker 1: And then the best defense in the world. And this happens across the board. If you're the best salesperson in the office, you get a pass. If you're indispensable, you get a pass. And the bottom line is how much you're making for the company, you get a pass. But this actually came up, and I did not know that there are a lot of restrictions to what a company can look at and cannot which I find. Then that's a case that's coming up. So there we go. I spun it off a little bit. Neil will never ever say anything he ever did with management, because Neil is a wuss. Because Neil is a wimp, and Neil is he's a gutlass wonder, Neil Wonder, Neil is a pandy waste. Okay, anything else i'd like to add, mean the octagon, Oh okay. Now, if you want to hire a photographer, let's say you've got a wedding or a bar mitzvah Kinsiniera and you need a photographer, you cannot hire on Charles Omania anymore or omany not available because he now works for the State of California. Gavin Newsom hired him at two hundred thousand dollars a year. It's a good gig. He's a state employee. Now he's pretty high end photographer. I mean his clients from Mark Zuckerberg, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, He's photographed all of them. Former photo journalist, war photographer went with Newsom to China last year as a freelancer. He has now been hired by the state to follow Newsom around and cover him. We photos for you. Now. Politically, of course, this has to do with Newsom's run for the presidency. I mean, there's no question about that. For example, the State of the State wasn't really a state of the State this year. What it was was a video state of the State that was interspersed and there was a lot of editing with pictures that Omeny took of new some doing things. There's a great picture of great shots of Newsom at one of the encampments and he's putting on he's in a hard hat and he's with a vest and he's cleaning up garbage after an encampment has been cleared, and you can see him. He's a regular guy, Newsome And strangely enough, there was a photo there photo op City, and Charles Omani is the guy who does it. Now. Is it fair to have a photographer follow the governor? That's a big yes and no. I think both. The argument goes on both sides. One obviously a cheap political attempt to get his best and as many shots as you can, knowing that you're going to run for president, and here you go. Here I am being a wonderful guy. Here I am serving up food at Thanksgiving to the homeless. Here I am cleaning up garbage, and I'm wearing my top, my hard hat, and so those are the pictures I'm going to come out straight for political purposes. On the other hand, you know this is history too, you know, to memorialize a governor and what a governor does in California, and we look at photos of presidents and past governors and they are historical pieces of information. Photos are a big part of it. I guess where is the line. You know, the governor having lunch during the pandemic and going through a drive through with a mask on is one thing. Going up to the French laundry, three star Michelin restaurant with a group of people and having a lunch that costs three hundred and fifty dollars ahead is another thing. Both are legitimate. It's just I mean, look at the optics, and Newsom is making sure we get plenty of optics. If he wasn't running for president, if he wasn't such a slick politician, I would feel much better. I would I'd also feel much better if he's dancing at a queencin Eira and was photographed doing that too. Go figure, which way do you go on that one? I don't know, it works both ways for me. Kfiam six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app