Speaker 1: The sun is shining out a cloud in the sky.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't know because we're so happy inside.
Speaker 3: Some people.
Speaker 1: On some skis, but we.
Speaker 2: Would rather sit on down and talk some movies. We're the Avid Indoorsmen. Come listen to our show. We're the Avid Indoorsmen at home around the gold We're the Avid indoors Man.
Speaker 4: We hope you loves so come on in and stay. We'll do our best to make you smile with the indoors man.
Speaker 1: Man, What is happening? I'm Rob Lundquist and I'm Boots and we are the Avid Indoorsman. Hello everyone, How are you? Buddy? I'm doing good, buddy, just living a life. How about you? How are you? I am also living that life. Yeah? You had a fun last night? Right? I did? Yeah? I went to the Teddy Swim Show. I'm currently wearing the new tour shirt. Just fun, love that beautiful.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got some last minute ticks, big, big thanks to Luke Pierce because he's awesome killing it, hooking it up. And it was fun because our buddy Laz was there. I got to hang out with him, and I brought my sister along. She was very excited about it. Oh that's good. Normally that's something I would bring Kelsey to, but she was driving back from the cabin cabin style. Sure, for sure. It's the first fourth of July that I've had to miss with the fam. Yeah, because I had a gig in Medora on the fifth and so it just didn't make sense to get up to the cabin back down to the bus and all that. So yeah, it was weird, man, Yeah, I bet which is it's funny that that's the only one you you know what I mean. It's lucked out. We've let out big time. I've never thought about that, but that's pretty wild. But yeah, that's usually a pretty pretty busy time for most groups. But yeah, we haven't. We just haven't had many gigs over that fourth. But dude, Medora was cool. I'm very pretty to Medora proper. Really, we've driven through it a lot. But yeah, yep, yeah, it was cool. Cool man. Well that's a pretty part of the country. That's great.
Speaker 6: And the concert was good, I guess it was good. And Teddy Swims, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Teddy Swims was great. Dude. That guy just sings his ass off the same time. He's insane. He just doesn't ever let up, and I'm like, dude, how how do you still sound like this? But that's pretty Apparently this was the first show of a run. Okay, so that's nice. So he's so we had him. Yeah, yeah, but it was great, dude, that's awesome. Man. Yeah. Have you been watching any movie recently? I have.
Speaker 6: I went to the theater. God, was it last week? Two weeks ago? It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I saw F one. That's what I'm going to talk about. Stop it.
Speaker 6: I also went to that I had seen it yet, I couldn't remember if we talked about it or not.
Speaker 1: We hadn't talked about it. I was going to surprise you with it, lovely. Well, this will be so much fun. I love this is the It's a racing movie. It's about Formula one. That's why it's called F one. It features Brad Pitt. I don't know if you guys have ever heard of him. Bradley, Yes, Bradley Bradley, and then Damnson Idris is the other kind of lead. Well, I guess Javier Birthdamn is the other lead. I guess probably. But I really like this movie.
Speaker 6: I thought it was pretty fun, very exciting, super cool, shots. It was the same director who did was it Maverick.
Speaker 1: Maverick with all the crazy like Cainski. Yes, Yes, and that really came through like it was you felt like you were in there, which was cool. And apparently Brad Pitt actually did a bunch of the driving and stuff like that and pretty nuts man. But I thought it was fun.
Speaker 6: I will the thing I keep saying is and this isn't a knock on this movie. I thought it was super fun and really exciting. I was hoping for a little bit more Ford versus Ferrari than Grand Turismo. It's a little more Grand Tarismo, which I actually also enjoyed. I just was like, I don't really care about racing. I'm more here for the drama and stuff, so I would have personally liked a little bit more of that stuff.
Speaker 1: But it was really good.
Speaker 6: Some cheesy lines, for sure, But if you like a sports movie, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Enjoy this movie. That's kind of how I felt about it. What did you think? How did you feel about almost the exact same take? Nice? Yeah, to see it on an Imax screen, this was when, uh so, yeah, Kelsey, the kids were gone and I was like, I just need to get out of this house. It's so weird, like not even Penny was there, Like it's quiet, and I don't like it. I am gonna go to a movie, but yeah, I went and said an Imax highly recommend watching it on an Imax screen. But yeah, dude, like you said, the racing shots are incredible. I'm also not super into racing movies, but it was still super impressive and I felt like it was it was top Gun Maverick for racing, and the plot has kind of been done before, but the acting was so great from Brad Pitt and Carrie Condon and that that didn't bug me too much. Yeah, Brad Pitt's incredible. I heard his armchair expert in interviews, which which was where I heard that he was so into all this, which I didn't know I guess before. That's dude, I didn't. I don't know that I've ever heard Brad Pitt in an interview. Yes, so that was fun during which actually that if you like Brad Pitt, you would probably enjoy that interview. It's really cool because they talk about sobriety, they talk about like their love of racing and stuff. Those two are like they went on and on about the racing, so you could, Yeah, you could definitely tell that he really wanted to do this film. He'd been trying to get it made for a long time. He's clearly very in his element. It's like Tom gets to do all this crazy, why don't I get to do something? Yeah, I want to do this. Yeah. But and it sounds like they really were racing at like almost two hundred miles, Like it's just crazy. Yeah. I thought it was really well done. It's worth checking it out if you are going to see it, I would recommend seeing out an IMAX because it was it was nuts.
Speaker 6: There's a couple of lines that are very cheesy in it, which actually I liked.
Speaker 1: But there's the one where they were like, we don't have the car and then how them is like we have the driver, like his face is nice, yeah, man, And one other take I had on it was just I feel like it's probably a good thing that I don't know much about F one racing because I feel like they dumbed it down hard for us, and I yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if real big fans of the sport are like, dude, they would never do.
Speaker 6: So the in the group chat with Chance and all them Neil and Ryan, Sammy's brother. They're big f one fans, and they were talking about that. They were like little implausible, a few things and whatever, you like.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about it. I was like, I'm not even a fan of the sport, but it felt like this stuff was way far fetched. So I think you're right on that.
Speaker 6: All that to say, I think you're absolutely right b point, But I don't know anything about it, so I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a fun watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, super cool and really well done. I mean it's beautiful, so yeah, very cool. Have you even streaming anything fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I streamed on I think it was Prime. Yeah, yeah, I even looked it up Prime. A movie called deep Cover that's a lot of shoot your mouth. I wasn't going to talk about it right now, but let's talk about it because I kind of loved it. I did too, I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: It's about three improv actors who are asked to go This is the little snippet. Three improv actors are asked to go undercover by the police in London's criminal underworld, and it's like this, this girl who's struggling to be an actor. She's teaching these classes. It's a couple of students, and you know they're of varying degrees, but it's Bryce Dallas Howard, Orlando Bloom and I forget Nick Muhammad, that's his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is from ted Lasso, Yes exactly.
Speaker 6: And this was a really funny comedy film. Has some action, you know, portions to it, but mostly it's just a silly comedy film. And I really had a good time with that. I thought it was a fun premise I'd never heard of before, you know, a new take on.
Speaker 1: It or whatever.
Speaker 6: And I thought they were really funny together. Like I liked their chemistry. I thought all of it was was pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I really had a good time. I was so impressed with Orlando Bloom, Like he was so funny and he was wonderful. I was like, where have you been, Orlando? I have not seen like funny Orlando Bloom. I mean it would be tough because he's just so good looking out like he just always has to do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: We know how it is you get titled with those beautiful eyes.
Speaker 1: And I know all this beauty it's it's hard. It's hard, it is tough. It's tough to think of a different adjective other than beauty. That's how far away from this I am. I don't know, being hot, it's hard being hot. So hot. Yeah, but I really liked this movie a lot. I thought it was really really fun, had a good time. Yeah. And Bryce Dallis Howard. I mean, I've never really thought of her as very funny, and she didn't have to do like a ton of like real funny, but she was great. She was of my favorite things. Yeah, I liked her. I thought she was good seeing her do. Yeah, I was into it. What have you been streaming? I watched the new Netflix series with Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Will Forte, Coleman Domingo, and more called The Four Seasons. Oh okay, Yeah, And it's apparently based on an older film featuring Alan Alda. But yeah. It's basically these three different couples that vacation together a lot, and it focuses on each of their pretty dysfunctional marriages. It's very funny at times, it's dramatic at times. There's some tragedy involved. It's all over the place and yeah, it's like eight episodes there about a half hour. I flew through it while I had some travel traveling issues where I was, but dude, I rocked it out really fast, but I did. I did. I was glad I downloaded the whole series. But yeah, I heard they've confirmed another season will come out. Super entertaining show and Will Forte might be my favorite part of the show. And yeah, I just thought he was really great in this. He got to kind of showcase other sides of him that I haven't really seen. I really like him.
Speaker 6: I think he's very talented and he's so so funny but be very heartfelt too. I feel like, you know, yeah, he got to show more of that cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I enjoyed it. Yeah, yeah, I haven't seen that one. Nice, very fun. What's the thing we do? Oh? Plug, sir? Should we do some plugs? Yeah? Plugs, you guess can possess. That's always over on the Twitter machine where we're at Avid Endorsement with a Z or we go to Facebook, dot Com, Instagram, TikTok, Blue Sky at the Abbot Endorsement and all those spots as well. But if you really want to hang out and be part of the crew spot to go in is Pletetree and dot com Slash, the Avid Indoorsman. No, it's a great time on Patreon. We love our patrons. We give them lots of perks, and one of those is getting a shout out right here. So I'd like to say hello to Marsha Grisiac, Mary Fox, Nanette Walkley, Yohambrosted deb Olk, Noel Flores, and that's it. Another perk that we like to give our patrons is an extended version of every episode, we'll usually do a top five draft that will pertain to the movie that we're discussing, and our guest today came up with today's top five draft idea top five blades in movies, so like swords other sharp objects in movies. That was a fun idea. I liked it me too. I liked it because we've done like weapons before and but we haven't, like just focused on blades. I think it'll be fun, it'll be fun to check out for show. Yeah, it'll be great.
Speaker 6: I don't remember what's next, so let's all just agree it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 6: It'na be tons of fun check it out. But yeah, we're here today to talk about the movie X Men, celebrating twenty fifth anniversary.
Speaker 1: Robbed twenty five years, crazy crazy, and we had to get a Marvel fan to the Zenith and a guy we haven't had on in a while. Again, it's been a minute. I'm so excited to chat with him. Let's give it up for j Michael Troutley. What's up, j Mac?
Speaker 5: What a time my dammies.
Speaker 1: You do. But it's been a long time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a man.
Speaker 3: And it's so good to be back on the show with you guys. It's good to see.
Speaker 1: We love Remember we're trying to remember which one it was last, and the last thing I could think of was top Gun Maverick, Top Gun Maverick. That was a minute, a minute, couple years years ago, three years. That's dumb. We gotta make that sorry anymore. I'd like to assure you that it's not you, it's us. Yeah, it's great to have you back, though, buddy, Great to be back. How you been, how's life?
Speaker 5: I've been good. I'm I'm a fiance.
Speaker 1: You are you are fianced? I love it?
Speaker 5: Yes, I am, in fact exciting, In fact, I'm on her zoom right now. So I love it if her name.
Speaker 3: Pops up heard there, there she is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, finally uh ty in the not that I never thought would be tied.
Speaker 1: That's exciting. Man. Congratulations, that's a fellow actor as well.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, yes, she is a lot more so sccessful than I am.
Speaker 3: And that's always good as good.
Speaker 1: We call that marrying up my friend. It's a good choice. I mean, big, that's great, that's great. Uh what were we I'm sorry, I already I was just having fun. Were we plugging anything for you? I forget now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got a I've got a series or an independent coming up. I'm not sure exactly which it's going to be, but it's going to be shot episodic, and I don't think we have a title yet, but it's going to be about futuristic digital viruses and actually getting sick off the virus. So I know we're talking about X Men today, but in the accident and the cartoon, when Cable goes through and there's that there's that like virus that's like taking over him, that's what it reminds me that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool, that's really cool. Yeah, I love it, man, that's great. I love that. And then your fiances it out too right.
Speaker 5: That Yeah, she just she's she's working now in Atlanta on a show called Free Bert with Bert Kreshner. Yeah already. But yeah, so he's got a new show coming out on Netflix hopefully, I'm assuming probably October November because they're shooting it quick. That's awesome, Yeah, in Atlanta. And it's funny the audition scene that we did, you know, I did the self tape ho her and read with her, and it was it was funny. It was you know, a lot of these, a lot of the auditions that I've gotten ever since the strike are very very.
Speaker 3: Just chummy.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so much cheeseball going on. But this definitely felt like, you know, this is this is some funny stuff. They're putting some some real, some real writing, some real jokes in here.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited for it, definitely.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for it too. I'm gonna definitely watch that. That dude is all over the place. That's sure it's going to blow up.
Speaker 6: That's a good rising star to hit your wagon too, for sure. Like that's amazing, that's amazing. That's gonna be free birt, so check that out and you'll have to let us know when it does premiere.
Speaker 1: For sure, make sure to throw it out to people. That's spot for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure stuff, I will hype it up.
Speaker 3: I will for sure hype it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah hell yeah, oh yeah, And we'll have you on before three years. I promise, promise, make sure this time.
Speaker 6: But this is a good one for you to come back on because I know you're a Marvel guy and we're here to talk the twenty fifth anniversary of X Men twenty five years dude, which I mean the bird feel older every time we talk about what.
Speaker 1: Movies are now.
Speaker 5: Five years on TMNT, I'm seeing dude.
Speaker 1: Dude and back to the Future, and then we're going to a theater to see you're.
Speaker 5: Bringing it back. Look, when I found out about it, I went, I went on to get the tickets and like all the seats were taken. I could only get a single ticket, and I.
Speaker 1: Just saw a thing. When when is that coming out?
Speaker 3: Is that in a couple of weeks August?
Speaker 6: Okay, I really got to get on that because that needs to happen in the parking lot or something.
Speaker 1: Know who I am throw one of those I don't think you understand. Hell yeah, hell yeah. I can't wait to see that. But this is a great movie and I really just want to get into it. What do you guys? Thinks we going to start with the rough synopsis? All right? I did read a little bit of this and it's out there, So here we go. They are children of the Adam Homo superior, the next link in the chain of evolution. Each was born with a unique genetic mutation, which, at puberty manifested itself in extraordinary powers. In a world filled with hate and prejudice, they are feared by those who cannot accept their differences. Led by Xavier, the X Men fight to protect a world that fears them. They are locked in a battle with former colleague and friend Magneto, who believes humans and mutants should never coexist. Nice, nice, good read. Thanks, that's intense.
Speaker 5: I like he earned the title of professor though they should really have that.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. Dude's a man who's given his life to education. Come on, damn, it's a good note. That's fair.
Speaker 6: Let's go to rotten to bottles in here. What they have to say. Critics have this coming in a pretty solid eighty two percent. Okay, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's killer, and.
Speaker 6: Audience members are pretty much right there with them, just at eighty three percent.
Speaker 1: So I was kind of surprised. I thought maybe critics wouldn't like this one as much, but it was good to know they have some taste.
Speaker 5: So there was rotten tomatoes? Was that a thing in two thousand?
Speaker 1: Not in two thousands? This is a post? Yeah, okay, okay, that's and that's a good one because it's.
Speaker 5: A pretty good score for posts. Because right after watching this, I was like, man, we've really graduated into better filmmaking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can understand that, for sure.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that. I feel like, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, should we go right in and talk about what we think? Time for our hot take?
Speaker 1: Hot take? Spicy, that's a hot take. That's a hot take. The one I had flame powers, He's cool, totally a fight ball with the flame Piro ye Piro. I liked Pyro a lot different actor. I didn't remember that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a lot of different actors.
Speaker 1: It was interesting. Yeah, strange. I can go first on this. I love this movie a ton, warts and all, because you're right, j Mac, it's not perfect by any means.
Speaker 6: But man, I remember just loving this movie and I really had a good time on the rewatch.
Speaker 1: I felt like it had been a while again since I rewatched these, since the new thing all came out.
Speaker 5: Right, and how many X Men films since, yes.
Speaker 6: So many and I watched them all. But yeah, it was it was really fun to go back to this. I was super surprised it was only an hour forty five minutes or forty four or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: I was like it was refreshing as well, exactly.
Speaker 5: It along for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I was kind of you know, these movies that you haven't seen in a while. It's like, I wonder what, you know, what like little beats I'm forgetting And I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an hour forty four.
Speaker 6: I don't I'm probably not forgetting very many, right, you know, like this is we're pretty much just going straight through. I just I really love the X Men a ton and I always have. You know that this story really came right from people that were feeling disadvantaged and people that were from minority communities and stuff, and that is for better or worse than the United States, and it will be an evergreen topic for US forever it seems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that hit hard.
Speaker 6: It really did, but it is it is so great from a drama standpoint. I mean I hate to, like, you know, say it in that way, but it is for peer entertainment, It's really great and it does hit home in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: I love this movie.
Speaker 6: My favorite part I think about this movie is sort of the existential argument between two people that really respect and love each other but also disagree very vehemently, between Professor Xavier and Magneto. Obviously, and they have this really rich history between them. But anytime you can get a villain where you're like, I mean, I kind of see his point, you know, it's really great. And obviously they got to some tremendous actors to fill both of those roles. But sure on this rewatch. And I'm not a I'm like dabbling comics, so I don't know the depth of the history between them, but on this one it really hit me. Obviously there are two white guys, but it really hit me the similarities between like Malcolm x and Martin Luther King Junior, between the two of them of like wanting to work within the system and then the other one being a little bit more you know, militant and wanting to protect.
Speaker 1: Their own people and you know, all that strength. But they both respect each other obviously a ton, and you know, ultimately want similar things. Anyway, all that to say, I love this movie. I love the X Men in general. There's some great acting in this. There's some awful acting in this as well. Really it looks.
Speaker 3: From some great actors.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's just so wild.
Speaker 6: The CGI stuff doesn't look it definitely looks twenty five years old some of it.
Speaker 1: But not terrible five years old. The jet look legit, jet looks legit.
Speaker 6: Steak looks awesome, awesome, Yeah, I guess a bunch of that's probably practical. But even like that jumping spin where she like is changing as.
Speaker 5: She's fighting, scales like come together totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really neat. I love all that stuff. I just love this movie. These characters in a in a ton of fun ways. And uh, I think my hottest Steak is during that mystique fight. Should she be able to have his clause? I mean I guess that. I get that she could have them, you know, show physically, but she felt I felt like she had the powers, And I don't think that's really part of her thing and that felt weird to me.
Speaker 5: Cut.
Speaker 6: That is true, we do see cut, But is she she's also cutting through stuff with them?
Speaker 5: Well yeah, maybe what she's what she's turning it into is like a regular knife and then he's got superior.
Speaker 1: This is nitpicky, nerdy stuff. But I just was like, what's going on here? Is the breadth of her power to Yeah, but yeah, that's basically my hottest steak is. I love this movie and it's hot. Take bro, I had a lot. I had a lot of those takes. I also loved when it came out, and it has also been a long time since I'd seen it. It's very fun. Rewatch directed by Brian Singer, who did He did a lot of the X Men films like X two, early, Yeah, Days of Future Past. He did Apocalypse as well. Yeah, and he's also famously responsible for The Usual Suspects. Last thing he did was Bohemian Rhapsody, so he's he's been out out of the game for a little bit. A lot of different kind of movies in there too. That's all over the place for him. That's cool. Yeah, dude, Yeah, I thought the special effects held up pretty well for being twenty five years old. The actors are great. It was fun getting to see Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine for the first time. We've seen him in that role so much over the last twenty five years totally and till he's ninety as we've played you know, like they said, yeah, dead pulling Wolverine.
Speaker 6: Also, he was like not white, like he just looked like a normal ripped person, not like.
Speaker 1: A you know, insane statue.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah. I was never a big comic book guys, but from what I've heard, both fans of the comic and casual movie fans enjoyed this movie, and that can be hard to please both, so that's impressive. My hot take is a way under utilized Tale Barry in this film and gave her one of the worst lines in the history of cinema. Man, that's about that's about to be my quote probably absolutely has to be quote. I'll save that for you later, but oh my god, it's so bad. That's my hottest take. Okay, hot take bell.
Speaker 3: All right, well I'll buy hot take.
Speaker 5: I'll jump off and let's talk about the nine different African accents that she tried to use.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're doing a film.
Speaker 5: When you're doing a film, we all know by now that this isn't the Unsequentially, it's not like the first shot of the film is the first thing that was shot.
Speaker 3: That's not what it is. So it's it's tough.
Speaker 5: I could tell that, Oh, here's her, and this was probably on day one and she's really going hard on this accent, and then you go like, you know, six seems later and it's like, oh that changed. I got either she got her to go or she forgot it or it's different now. But yes, it continued to morph throughout the film. So yeah, I definitely, especially for an actress who's mighty, mighty talented. Yeah, I think that was my hottest take because I was like, you know, after the fact that you know, in two thousand, we're all looking at her as, oh, you're a hot movie star. We're not really engaging you know what in the last twenty five years and you know, accolades and awards that you've been able to get from those twenty five years.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was like, oh.
Speaker 5: Man, but you know, we all, we all we all start somewhere and grow from that.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: This film, this film for me was really great. I really loved Blade. And when Blade came out, it was so undergrow. Yes it wasn't it wasn't pushed, but it was Marvel and you knew it. And so it was like, oh, here we go, We're going to start doing this finally. Like I'm reading like Wizard magazine and they're all talking about, oh, Spider Man's coming, spider Man's coming up, like ever since nineteen eighty three. I'm like keeking out waiting for Spider Man. And then all of a sudden, they're like, damn, they're doing X Men first, and you're like.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: And then the minute you found out that it was going to be uh, Sir Patrick Stewart was going to be Professor Axher like okay, all right, Well, at least whoever's on casting has got a good idea of what they're trying to put put together here, right, and the cast is phenomenal. Man, we got real movie stars here, some that were made for sure, like all of them, let's be honest, and yeah, it's it's crazy. Like you said, great, rewatch, but going back twenty five years, you're like, oh, man, James Marsden I've seen you in so many things, right, yes, yes, now, I recall the first time you were ever even brought up to me was, yeah, you're playing psychops in this film. But yeah, I I love this film. I loved all the I love the whole, the whole, the plot of it, trying to make the audience believe they want Wolverine.
Speaker 3: They want Wolverine, They're after him.
Speaker 5: He's so madassd they need to have him, there after him.
Speaker 3: What's Magneto gonna do?
Speaker 5: He's he's you know, his skeleton's laced in metal. And that interaction that you know, meeting on the train was awesome. And then you learn in that same meeting, I don't care about you. Yeah, you're nothing. They want her, And yeah, I remember in the I remember in the theater just really being like, what what would they do with him? What is what is his use to them? You know they have sabre tooth, that's basically the same It's the same guy, right, it's the same guy.
Speaker 1: So he woos his ass pretty much, you know, at least I.
Speaker 5: Really gave it to him, for sure, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was a really fun.
Speaker 5: It was a really fun fun. Rewatch I loved I noticed especially. I think one of my favorite parts was when Professor X is first talking to Wolverine. He like explains what's going on in this montage that is so succinct, it's so perfect, and just use the story along and you're like, yeah, this is the plight, this is the thing, this is what's going on. And he did that in maybe a minute, and I thought that that was really great. I think a lot of films are missing that they want you to already know it, or they want it's so secret or it's hidden under things, and it's just like, no, this is Professor X explaining what the world is, what's going on, You're here, this is my school. Here we go. Yeah, so yeah, yeah, I really really enjoyed this film. Huge comic head. I loved the original X Men ninety two the cartoon man, I was on that every Saturday.
Speaker 3: Morning for sure.
Speaker 5: Ninety seven is also fantastic.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, didn't they bring that back? Yeah? Yeah, that looked cool. Yeah.
Speaker 6: X Men are definitely one of one of these days we're getting a whole bunch of X Men again, for.
Speaker 5: Sure, Yeah, throwing them into the I heard that they're going to get the director of The Thunderbolts to do it, to do the first X Men film.
Speaker 1: That's a great call. Yeah, I hope that's right.
Speaker 5: I thought he's been good with the team like that.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a good film.
Speaker 6: Really cool and felt very fresh and also went into the darker tones, which I think you have to do with X Men, like we said, you know earlier, so but still funny, so fun and still joy Like four.
Speaker 5: Got to the point where four four was just like goofy, dumb.
Speaker 1: So goofy. I feel like I've said that where yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, like this is now there's a little too cartoony for such a badass, you know, literal god. But yeah, I think, uh, I think it's gonna be It's to be really interesting to see who gets cast as these new characters and how they introduce them, especially since we did First Class and we've seen them now Redonate and Redid.
Speaker 3: And so yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, but they seem to love doing this.
Speaker 3: You know, we're on what the ninth fantastic for now, Like.
Speaker 5: They're just like we're just going to keep throwing different noodles at the wall, one of them.
Speaker 1: Something's gonna happen. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: Well now that they have like Disney Plus, right, it's like all the wall is just sticky wall. So whatever we throw at it is going to get on there. Because we are giving it to you.
Speaker 3: You're gonna watch it, not totally love it.
Speaker 1: Well, very cool, hot takes all around. Hot take. Let's let's talk about our favorite acting performance. Let's name the du the dude.
Speaker 7: I'm the dude, so that's what you call me, you know that, or his dude or duder or you know el dudo reno if you're not into the whole brevity.
Speaker 5: Thing, Yeah, that j My dude is the dudet and my dude might be the Tucci. But but I loved Anna Paquin in this. I got to huge affinity for Rogue. She's one of my favorites a lover. I'm a Gambit fan, so obviously they kind of go together. But I loved that she was the through line and this this movie was about her story, right. You get to see her with her family, watch her power at first, you know, and then watch her runaway, run into all these other characters kind of by chance, and then find out at the end, right, like that's who they want and they want her because she is by far one of the most powerful X Men mutant's characters in Marvel Universe for sure. So I loved I loved her take. You know, you got to see her as as a teenager. This is right when she gets you. She's so scared, she's so frightened, but she still knows I've got to protect myself. I need to get someone around me who has the abilities to even if I make.
Speaker 3: A mistake, be okay.
Speaker 5: And I think that that was a fun thing, especially in you know, we're talking about the the struggle right of these characters and them being outcast, right, but she's then even further outcast from everyone else because she can't touch anyone. She can't interact as a human or a mutant, right, she just can't.
Speaker 3: Do any of that.
Speaker 5: So she's so removed and you really feel for So.
Speaker 3: Yes, the dude that goes to Anna Packwin, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she had to do with a lot. I think this was tough because it's such an ensemble cast. But I think Magneto is just so badass I and like you said, you kind of get it, You get why he is doing what he's doing, Like you understand where he's coming from. And I always feel like those are the best villains where you can like really understand their whole issue, and dude, Ian McKellen just he kills it in everything he does. I was trying to look back and I was like, I feel like this is one of the first things I ever really saw him. And I know he had been an actor before that.
Speaker 5: But.
Speaker 1: I think maybe apt Pupil was before this.
Speaker 3: And then then another singer, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another Brian singer movie. Yeah. So yeah, dude, he's yeah Magneto McKellen.
Speaker 6: I also think it's great. So I picked Ian McKellen too. I love him for all the reasons you said. Also crazy that at I guess I don't know how old he was for sure, at this point fifty years.
Speaker 1: This has always seemed so old.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but all of a sudden, and I know he'd been working a ton before that and was already very successful, but all of a sudden, it was like Lord of the Rings X men, you know, like.
Speaker 5: Totally what happened, you know, franchise man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so crazy. I picked him as well. I agree it was super super hard because I think everyone is wonderful in this. I truly think like they are are perfect castings in this movie. Like we've said, Patrick Stewart is definitely one of them. Yes, I think Hugh is one of them at this point obviously, and then Ian McKellen as well. And I love Anna Paquin too, so I'm with you on that for sure. But yeah, Magneto is just such a cool character and he brought everything to it. He brings that sort of like the little bit of a smirk to it. He brings He's obviously like, oh but that if I need to, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like like that that room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that little analysis that he brings to it is just so great. I think he's just He's just wonderful. And I the one thing I've been worried about with the New X Men coming is how they are going to bring if if Magneto is part.
Speaker 1: Of that, which I assume will be.
Speaker 6: Maybe it won't be, but how do you bring him in in a current timeline without using the Holocaust stuff? Because that works so well his character to have that sort of like not only the spot where his gene you know, came out and was expressed, right, but also the reason why.
Speaker 1: He you know, sees that this is going down such a bad road, right, he has that trauma and history in his past, and I just don't know exactly how they're going to do that. I'm sure they like Unfortunately, there are plenty of events that are similarly awful, right, But I just think that works so well that I'm like, oh, that'll be interesting to see. Maybe he'll just be real old, you know, or something. I don't know, but uh, And all that to say, Ian McKellen is amazing in this and he just he's the best. I love himself the best. So I picked him, but it was hard, So I'm gonna enjoy this next one. Talking about everybody else in the Tucci the Tucci world, yeah, we get.
Speaker 3: For this one, I went with Sean Ashmore.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 5: I loved him in this film. He played ice Man and and he was one of the He was one of the few characters who got to be mystique right for for a scene. So I thought that was cool too.
Speaker 1: But but yeah.
Speaker 5: I really liked I really liked how he did Bobby Drake. And obviously he gets to stay with the franchise throughout and you get to kind of evolve and you know eventually, right, And I think it was like last stand, right.
Speaker 3: You need to see him go full ice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he has such cool moments throughout the franchise. But in this film, I thought he really he really showed up to this film and said, hey, guys, I'm super important to this. I add this level that we can use for for our sequels, and then they obviously used him for those sequels. I thought he did a really really great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he was.
Speaker 5: I thought he was super awesome when I first saw the film, and then I learned that he was a twin. He's got a twin brother.
Speaker 8: Yeah, crazy, yeah, and so it yeah, and they both got like when when you think about it, you've seen his face their face, and like multiple things, and then you go on.
Speaker 5: To like IMDb and you're like, oh right, yeah, half of your credits is this, and happened to you have half the credits?
Speaker 1: It's not sure I ever knew that, because but that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was. I always wanted a twin. I always thought it'd be so fun, and you know, I was always wondered, especially as an actor, like geez, one morning, you're not feeling all and you're just like doing I'm tapping you in the mere actors just pretend to be me being this guy totally. So yeah, I definitely give it to to Shawn Asmore. He's such a he's such a pimp too.
Speaker 3: He made Bobby Drake such a pimp.
Speaker 5: He's such a ladies man, not invert about it, but he's just so kind and so like welcoming.
Speaker 3: I thought that, Yeah, I thought he was the best.
Speaker 1: Love that great. Yeah for sure. That that's a really fun pick. I'm gonna take more of the low hanging fruit and go for Sir Patrick Stewart as Xavier. Perfect casting call, like I think you had said, Bukes. I mean, he he's perfect. He's exactly what you want in that role. And I just love the relationship between him and Magneto and all of their scenes together just like it almost feels like that scene in Heat where you just like holding his breath just the whole movie. And I'm okay with that. Yes, so yeah, I'm gonna pick him. I love. That's a great one. Uh, I feel like I have like a deep pull.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go deep poll first, Uh, it's not that deep, Senator Kelly Bruce Davison, that's a fun one, dude, guy so much in this movie, and that means he's doing a great job, right, But he is also he goes like kind of on a pretty good arc in this movie, which is fun because he understands and you know, I get that it's not him at the end, but I do think he maybe would feel that way by the end of the movie, you know, if everything was the same. But I thought he just did a great job because I really detested him through a lot of it, and then you know, he had to do a lot of stuff, so that was pretty fun. Yeah, And just talking about a guy who who isn't perfect but also is perfect, Hugh Jackman, who we've already talked about, Like, yes, Wolverine is supposed to be tiny, this dude is immense. Yeah, and it's still great And he is in my own brain, he is a reason why when someone immediately like judges a casting of whatever, I'm always just like, yeah.
Speaker 1: But let's see a play out because everyone said.
Speaker 6: I'm sure people were saying he's not gonna work because he's so tall and whatever. But he's great as Wolverine. Like the deep anger, he really brings that forward while also showing that he just he cares so much about people around him, like show him a tiny bit of like kindness and he has your back forever, you know, just totally. I love that character a ton too. But man, he's just so good on this and he's just it was fun to see him in this first iteration of it because he's still real fairal too of like, yeah, he's just scared, Like he doesn't have his memory, so he's just scared. He doesn't trust anybody, right, like even his eyes like darting around like I need to get the hell out of here.
Speaker 1: You know. I just really loved it a lot. I thought he was wonderful. Yeah, dude, I picked him. What other runner ups we got for that? Still so many folks.
Speaker 3: There's still so many folks.
Speaker 5: I just keep talking about Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 3: Those laws were so.
Speaker 9: Cool, so so good man, and they were the look in the comics as the X Men and Wolverine have been drawn, Like there's so many different iterations and different artists.
Speaker 5: Yeah, different jabs at it right and got like I never liked the like skinny skinny claws that looked like you know, they were just like skewer kabobs.
Speaker 1: Coming out of these were like legitvival knives coming out of his Yeah, man, yeah, I love those.
Speaker 5: I thought for him, his size didn't really bother me. It didn't bother me at all, because you just look at it. You know, this is a human being. What what what five six guy? Are you going to get? Like Tom Cruise isn't doing this, so what are we?
Speaker 3: What are we going to do here?
Speaker 5: I thought he did so good and like you were saying alluding to he's so animalistic in this, it was so just right on the edge, right on the surface of everything he was doing. And then they did a really good job of not showing you too much of the memories when like Jane would go into his mind or Professor X would go into his mind.
Speaker 3: But you got to see those those.
Speaker 5: Green toned flashbacks of all the stuff drawn on him right all the all those spots, and yeah, yeah, it was it was fun. I really I really enjoyed his take. He was he was funny, he was masculine, he was heroic, he was brooding. Yeah, and he and you know, especially after watching the uh the cartoon and being familiar with the characters and their relationship with each other from the cartoon, they really nailed it, especially him and him and Cyclops right, like they they nailed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 5: I thought that they really did a good job those two together and playing that like we're on the same team, but like, don't mess with my.
Speaker 1: Girl, Like yeah, well, and their girl is Fanka Jensen, who I always had such a crush on. She's really yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm with you. I love it. That's great, She's awesome. Uh ray Park that was fun character, but it was fun.
Speaker 5: It was yeah, you know, like I thought it was fun too that they gave him the staff so fall right. It was okay, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Can do it.
Speaker 10: Why not, right, I mean, yeah, it's such a such a weird character, but definitely belongs.
Speaker 1: To the character.
Speaker 5: It's such a weird character. And I thought the little spots that he got to have they showed off what he can do. Fine, but they still gave him those those spots of him like jumping on the security guard and like taking them out with one jump, and like yeah, it was like okay, yeah, Toad's like stupid, but I'm glad he's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 6: Also, I didn't know stan Lee started doing his appearances this early because he was in the He was a hot dog vendor on the beach when the senator came up and was naked and all, oh sure, And I didn't realize they started that that soon.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: One of the other vendors on that beach scene is one of those guys who got implicated in like the Nickelodeon scandals with those kids.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Watching the documentary about it and they.
Speaker 5: Were, hey, this guy was like working to stuff and they showed that scene of him being that and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, man, like, oh that sucks.
Speaker 3: You had him.
Speaker 5: Not only were you having them on a on a set with a bunch of kids for a TV show, but then you threw them on a major movie set with a bunch of kids too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, that stuff is also messed up. It's very yuck yuck.
Speaker 6: Yeah, indeed, Mr Oh, Rebecca Romain.
Speaker 1: That's mystique.
Speaker 3: She was great.
Speaker 6: We said the CGI and stuff was cool. I thought she was really good. I really liked her a lot.
Speaker 5: She had such she had like very little lines and she nailed every time she was on camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And that character is so neat. I was I was reading a little bit of this backstory about her character, not so much in this movie, but just in the comics world. And it's she's really cool. That's an interesting I didn't know she her and Magneto are not really in the comics world. They're not really together. Ever, they're not like a team like they are in these movies.
Speaker 3: She's very solo's cool.
Speaker 1: That's super interesting.
Speaker 3: But she's the mother of Rogue and Nightcrawler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nuts. Nuts, that is nuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nuts that Rogue isn't blue.
Speaker 1: But whatever there is that. Maybe she's just changing it. I guess we don't know. Blue is her regular color. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that might just be the one that she likes.
Speaker 1: It seems like it probably is, though, I think you're right. Uh, that was all the people I had though for the two cool. Yeah, why don't we pick our favorite scene. Let's choose the dingus us.
Speaker 5: So dingas is quite simple, really ingus dingus.
Speaker 1: I could talk about my dingas all night long.
Speaker 3: Kiss the dingus.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite scene.
Speaker 5: In this Okay, So I've got two and they're tied and they're both involving Logan and Rogue. Yes, the first was the bar scene, the first bar scene where she meets him, so and you see the claus like, it's just so cool when the guy with the when the when the guy put the shotgun to the back of his head, you knew something.
Speaker 1: Was coming, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: And when he turned around and cut it in half and now he's got both of them out, he's in that right in that in that in that pose was so cool. That the baby falls, the guy's like, oh, there goes my weapon and one clean droke. But I always love one of my favorite, one of my favorite panels in comics, and Jim Lead did this was Gambit and Wolverine are fighting and Gambit does the thing where he's got his two claws up up along his face and then he says he says a line like, uh like sometimes the middle one slips like just like threatening, right, yeah, And he didn't have this line in this movie. But I love that they did that. I love that they showed that he has that control of the clause to be able to do one, two, three, whatever, it doesn't matter, he's got the control of it. I love that scene so much. And you watch Anna Paquin's face and it's all over face the excitement, that's the fear, the oh God. And then you know when he finally leaves, she's like, that's my ticket, Like that's my ticket.
Speaker 3: That's who can help me?
Speaker 5: Because they allude to it in the beginning when when the guy comes up through his ears and he's like, no one takes a hit like that and doesn't have a scratch to show for it. He's already you know when they when they showed the thing on the TV with the Senator Kelly and the un thing and they both.
Speaker 3: Look at it and she notices.
Speaker 5: She's like, oh, yeah, you're a mutant, Like I can recognize your body language of you being outcast here and that's why and that's what I think, maybe I am.
Speaker 3: I got to be with you.
Speaker 5: So that was that was definitely one of my favorite scenes. And then the second one is the injury when he's having the nightmare and she goes into his rooms. When I was when I was in the theater, and I'm jeez, what we were in two thousand, but that's like ninth tenth grade. The theater is quiet, it's silent. When he wakes up and stabs her, because it's like, oh, total three giant knives like literally going through her. You see it, and there's this pause, there's like a two beat pause, and then just it. I couldn't stop it out of my mouth. I go, you gotta touch him, like like I yelled it out, like you gotta touch him. And I remember my friends that I was with.
Speaker 3: Of course she's got to touch him. Shut up, dude, like shut up.
Speaker 5: And but that cgi was cool too, and you know when people life out of them. But then you got to watch those three holes heel up and yeah, totally so love those those those two characters, those two actors are in both of my both of my favorite scenes.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, dude. They're also in my favorite scene, which is when Logan is going back to get Rogue. She's on the train and that's when everything goes crazy and Anito comes. He rips the train apart, you know, uh, he has Logan up, you know, floating in the air, and then just just shows just how powerful he is. But then yeah, like lifting up the police cars and taking all their weapons and having the bullet just circling, and that is like, I don't think I can stop them all, you know, even though you could for sure yeah, but they all got to show off their powers, and then you have Xavier's abilities using like the people next to him, you know, talking to him through these people, and just I just thought all that was so much fun. I loved it. Yeah, yeah, I love him.
Speaker 6: In all the scenes you guys picked too, we really get these moments of seeing like core parts of their characters too, because like on that train scene you just said, Rob Logan is like, yeah, I don't think this is a good idea to run away, but I'm I'm with you now, like we are. We are, and I'm not telling you you're wrong, like I'll tell you I don't know that I agree, but also cool, this is what we're doing. And in the one you said, j Mac with the where she gets stabbed, like her instinct is to protect him and say it was just an accident, like he didn't try, even as she's struggling, you know or whatever, and in this bad situation and he reacts and wants to take it back right away, Like these are all parts of their characters, which I love. I had all the scenes you guys said. The only one that I will add is when the senator has taken hostage and Magneto is like sort of reading in the Bill of Rights there and stuff he talks about like let's just say God works too slowly and all that stuff. I loved that scene. I thought it was real cool.
Speaker 1: And again just that like malice that he has a little bit, you know.
Speaker 6: And he's not even doing it to be a dick. He just is like, this is the only way, and I have to protect me and mine, you know. Really, it's it's really great, but I had.
Speaker 1: My number one was the first introduction to Wolverine. That that whole fight, and then you know, cool the bar scene and stuff. But yeah, dude, that was awesome. I would totally be fine with that being I'm.
Speaker 6: Not mad at any of those, to be honest, maybe we just say Logan and Rogue just all together every scene they ever have.
Speaker 1: Well, dude, and then you get a Logan on Logan fight with the Mystique that was pretty bad.
Speaker 6: That was a lot of iterations of that in my private time in the bunk, A lot of iterations of that.
Speaker 3: Total.
Speaker 1: No, it's so cool and it's so funny.
Speaker 6: Earlier you were talking about Iceman and you were like, you know, he gets to play the mystique character. I'm such a dummy when it comes to like even in Harry Potter or whatever, I always still think it's the other person playing that character for some reason. In my bro yes, I was like, does get to act like her? And I every time I'm like.
Speaker 1: Man, Emma Watson does such a good job acting like Helen the bottom Carter And then I'm like, well that's her act. Yeah, so dumb. But every time I think that, it's so funny. But those scenes are just so fun Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think too with with that, with the scene that you were saying with Senator Kelly in that weird Sewer Island Castle when almost yeah, yeah, totally but like really wet and dang almost.
Speaker 3: That cavish totally.
Speaker 5: But I liked when Professor X goes in into his mind and goes back there and you watch him stand up out of the chair because you know he's right, he's got to be in his chair in real life, but when he's in your mind, I can, I could float if I wanted. So he gets to watch it all kind of play back and and see and feel and know what's going on with the Senator in that moment. I thought that was That was really cool that first scene to set it up like that to really and still this is the fear in this human being of what he thinks his future could be. Because yeah, in the next couple of minutes, this is what your future is. They're going to kill you. Yeah, like they don't want you here anymore. And if you're not a mutant by now, like you don't get to be here anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's pretty wild, pretty wild. Uh yeah, I don't know, Boom.
Speaker 6: Let's go on and talk about some of these quotes. It's time to show me the money, show.
Speaker 3: Me, Okay, there was.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of great quotes and interactions here. I think my favorite after the mystique fight with Wolverine. He comes back to Gene and cycle and he's like, oh, don't worry, it's me and Cyclops is like, how do we know? And he and he flicks him off with the claw and I'm in the theater. We all laughed at that was funny. It was a funny one. But in that same uh fight at Liberty Islands is the best line of all time, uh, spoken by halle Berry when she asks Toad, do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning, and then she goes the same thing in a different accent.
Speaker 3: By the way she changes.
Speaker 1: Accidents in the line.
Speaker 5: In the line, she changes the same thing that happens, and it's a clever line, but it was just the placement of it and the way she said it was just so flat.
Speaker 10: And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the taking. See, that's the thing as an actor. You don't know what take they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, you're showing up at the.
Speaker 5: Premiere and they show it to you.
Speaker 3: God, I know.
Speaker 5: There was like there was like a hanging light in the back. There was a grip in the back when I did it, right, But yeah, those are by two quotes for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, Yeah, that is the quote I loved. Wolverine, you actually go outside in these things, and Cyclops says, well, what would you prefer yellow spandex? And also yes I would, yes, and yes, correct Logan, there's someone here Cyclops is where he said, I don't know, keep your eye open like that. Yeah, And I also liked another snarky Wolverine comment. He's talking to Professor X. He's just like, what do they call you? Wheels? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Yeah, yeah, what do you got.
Speaker 6: I love at the end when I think Wolverine tells Storm to you know, zap them with some lightning to get them, just like frog Man, and then Magneto goes, oh, yes, a bolt of lightning into a huge copper conductor.
Speaker 1: I thought you lived in a school. He was just being sassy at that point. I was really digging it.
Speaker 6: Magneto and Professor Xavier Early they're talking about I think about Yeah. I think Magneto goes, I've seen this before where they try to separate us and put us into you know, camps and all these things, and Professor x goes, it was a long time ago. Mankind has evolved since then, and Magneto's response of yes, into us is just so sick like again, you know, like just how similar they are, but also where they diverge.
Speaker 1: In a very important way. I just love that lineup of those really cool. I love.
Speaker 6: The flirting between Logan and Gene. It's really funny and kind of out of nowhere upon rewatch, Like, I know they have a lot of history at other times, but it was just funny to watch it in this one that you just kind of had to go along. But when he was like, so you couldn't wait to get my shirt off again?
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah? Yeah, that was really fun and just a good time.
Speaker 6: Oh and I loved and I kind of wish he didn't say the ball blind but it was so funny when he was like, you're gonna tell me to stay away from your girl? If I had to do that, she wouldn't be my girl. But then he immediately does say like it's which is understandable and believable. But I was like, I just kind of be like, I'm too cool for that to worry about.
Speaker 1: But it was fun. I like that, Yeah, you got to say it to Hugh Jackman. Definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I I would be very worried about Hugh Jackman's very well, very Actually I wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, I mean, we all know what has to happen, get after it, go ahead. It's fine.
Speaker 6: For him, you know, like, I don't know what do you? I'm only a man. What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: And just a badass line again. Because there is no land of tolerance. There is no peace, not here or anywhere else. Women and children, whole families destroyed simply because they were born different from those in power. But after tonight, the world's powerful will be just like us. They will return home as brothers. That's like sort of his like credo. Right at that point, I.
Speaker 1: Was just like, I don't know, man, you're wrong, but also are you like it? I get it. I just love that the ones I had, though, yeah, I didn't have anything else.
Speaker 5: I think, I think the only other little one. And I don't remember the exact quote, but it's after Rogue has healed herself and put Wolverine down, and he's talking to Professor X and he asked, you know, is she okay?
Speaker 3: Is she okay?
Speaker 5: She's fine, She's going to be fine, and he was like, yeah, I felt I felt like, you know, I was going to die. And and Professor xos, if she would have held on any longer, you would have And that line alone was like I remember hearing that and being like, yes, like that's her power, that's what she She could literally take any of you out by just holding on for five seconds.
Speaker 1: Even that guy, you know. And like such a setting conversation, which I feel like is really important. Superhero movies to me totally like.
Speaker 5: You because in that in that in the scene where they're where they're in his uh where they're in his r V camper, and you know, she's already seen his claws come out and obviously seen him heal and and all this stuff, and he's like, I'm not going to hurt you. After he goes to like turn the heater on, and she's like, you know, don't touch me, like type of movement. It's like, I'm not going to hurt you, and she's like things, things get bad when people touch me, which.
Speaker 1: Is tell me. That's kind of the misunderstanding he has about who Magnetos after too.
Speaker 6: He thinks she's worried about him hurting her. She's worried about hurting him. She thinks Magneto's after him. She's really really about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's totally Yeah, that's great. Nice. Let's move on to bugs Booho moments. The crying Game. I had a hard time with this one, too, fair. I thought you might have had some hype tears, maybe just seeing Wolverine for the first time because you are so sentimental. Oh I am, But it didn't get that good. Okay, I understand where you're coming from. And then I feel like the only times you could have boohooed are during the rogue moments, and I didn't write any dub.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, I guess zero think of anything where you would.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was.
Speaker 5: Trying to figure out where where could he squeeze out some safty water from his eyes?
Speaker 6: So you're right about the rogue moments. But there was two of those. When she's talking about the guy that she kissed that was in the coma for three weeks or whatever it was, she's just very like, I can't even touch anyone. I can't get close to anyone, you know that stuff. Then when we think we like lost her, you know, and we think she's died at the very end, I mean, after she gets the cool Shaka white hair and okay, and that bit got me because you know, he like touches her and then nothing happens for a second.
Speaker 1: Right, you're right, those two got me. The senator got me when he was like, please don't leave me, I don't want to be alone really got me this time, Like he was just very vulnerable in that moment. I don't know, yeah he was. And then there was one that and at the very beginning it had very little to do with this movie, I feel like just the state of the world.
Speaker 6: But the concentration camp stuff at the beginning got me. So I was just like, yeah, like obviously this is an awful event. We're also doing it again, you know, like all these things right where it's just like you know, So that did get me at the beginning.
Speaker 5: So it was that was a powerful scene.
Speaker 1: That was It was so well done. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah four for this one. Let's do a little movie trivia.
Speaker 6: Hugh Jackman took ice cold showers every morning of filming in order to help him get into character. And apparently this tradition started when he was jumping in the shower at five am before realizing there was no hot water, shocked awake, but not wanting to wake up his sleeping wife, he gritted his teeth and just like was like you know or whatever, and he realized that is like the attitude Wolverine is always in where he's just got this fury in him but he.
Speaker 1: Can't let it out.
Speaker 6: And apparently he's done the cold shower things in every Wolverine day since, so he's taken a lot.
Speaker 1: Of cool shows for a long time. Yeah, but I was like, that's cool. What a neat little like getting behind the scenes like that. That's cool. That is cool.
Speaker 6: Oh, shortly after accepting the role of Magneto, sir Ian McKellen was offered the role of Gandal from Lord of the Rings, which originally he had to decline and I.
Speaker 1: Didn't know this crazy.
Speaker 6: We spoke to Brian Singer about his interest in making Lord of the Rings and Singer agreed to re arrange the movie's shooting schedule so McKellen would finish his scenes by the end of ninety nine, freeing him up to go to New Zealand.
Speaker 1: In two thousand. So like that could have changed a lot of things that worked. That's pretty wild.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I'm selfishly very happy about that.
Speaker 1: I thought it was funny. Neither Sir Patrick Stewart nor Sir Ian McKellen knew how to play chess. Apparently when they were filming the chess scene they had to bring in a chess grandmaster. Yeah, they were like, we don't know how to play.
Speaker 5: I guess they got a grand master. They couldn't just get a grip.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not a grandmaster. Were not money was.
Speaker 5: Twentieth century Fox throwing around.
Speaker 1: I wonder is did they know how to play them? They were like, we can get them to pay for lessons chess lessons for us if we just tell them we don't know how this is start play. That was pretty wild.
Speaker 6: Apparently that Rebecca Romaine doesn't sound like she had an awesome time, but she had fun. To celebrate her last dance at she brought in a bottle of tequila, which she gave to her fellow cast and crew during a break in filming. Unfortunately, that day she also was filming Wolverine and Mystiques fight scene, I guess, and she ended up throwing up blue colored vomit all over Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 11: Oh, so that's kind of it was, It just says making It seems like for the last day.
Speaker 1: She's like, I put blue food coloring in here because I thoughtould be fun.
Speaker 6: Also, it sucks, uh. But the reason I said she didn't also maybe have a great time. She's in order to keep her look a secret, she had to sit in isolation basically the entire time she was chooting, and she has said in interviews like I had almost no contact with the rest of the cast. It was like I was making a different movie from everyone else, and she said it was kind of.
Speaker 1: Like hell, and I was like, yeah, that would suck because there's so much downtime anyway, right, Yeah, especially on a giant.
Speaker 5: That's very mystique though that's true.
Speaker 1: That is true.
Speaker 5: Isolated like that and do all your stuff by yourself basically.
Speaker 6: Yeah, totally, and he Her makeup consisted of what you all time agreed, Yes, yes, absolutely, blue, white, yellow, yeah, whatever color.
Speaker 1: It's all good. Her makeup consisted of one hundred and ten custom designed prosthesis prostcees sorry, which covered sixty percent of her body and took nine hours to apply each time. That's as at and apparently, of course, because of the way it would affect her body chemistry, she wasn't allowed to drink wine, use like moisturizers and skin creams nor the day before these filmings, so this was like a like eight hour, you know, ordeal every time.
Speaker 5: Every time.
Speaker 1: I thought that was nuts because the the prosthetics would fall off if like she had, you know, her skin was a little too greasy or whatever. But I just thought that was nuts. And I heard her contexts were horrible to Yeah, I was just going to get to this one, there was a bunch of contexts.
Speaker 6: Apparently most of the eye effects were achieved by them wearing the special contact lenses. Uh, and they basically all hated them. I guess she could only wear her mystique lenses for an hour at a time and she only had ten percent vision is what this says when she was which sounds awful. But did you read this part Rob the tyler Maine who was saber too, He kept his lenses in for too long and ended up temporary blind, temporarily blinded for a day.
Speaker 1: Whoops, terrifying, My god, so scary.
Speaker 6: And apparently halle Berry had the opaque white ones, but she only wore them once and she was like, now we're doing CGI for this and.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I guess, yeah totally.
Speaker 1: Which because they look so cool. I remember hearing Jim Carrey talk about how horrible those contexts where when he did Grinch experience, but context rib.
Speaker 5: Didn't he have like allergic reactions? Yeah, yeah, like imagine imagine being in a chair for nine hours and then it's like too Yeah. She probably got paid some awesome overtime though, you know, shooting one scene two takes. Okay, No, we got a rapper.
Speaker 6: Had she like really acted before this, because I don't know.
Speaker 1: She was just kind of a TV host, wasn't she. Yeah, totally, she was really good. I mean it could have been much worse.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Sir Patrick Stewart was the first actor to be cast as a mutant, and in fact, he'd been a fan favorite for the role of Professor X since the nineties. It was really cool and they were right.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Let's see many of the X Men from the comics, who don't have major roles in this film appears minor cares. We've got Jubilee in her yellow jacket and hoop earrings. Shadow Cat also known as Kitty Pride. I think Kitty is the one who went through the walls, right, who phased through, which was cool. Colossus, Iceman, Pyro we already talked about. And then they all have bigger roles in the future films, which is fun. So I thought those were cool.
Speaker 1: There were three types of wolverine claws that were used, plastic, rubber, and then steel I guess. Wow, and more than seven hundred individual claw blades were used by Hugh Jackman and his four stunt doubles in this movie. Wow. So many it's pretty wild. That is excessive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just thought this was funny when he first took the part. In an interview on MTV, Hugh Jackman said that when he initially took the part, he studied wolves to develop his character because he thought Wolverine just alluded to wolves, and Brian Singer had to later explain to him that a wolverine is actually its own different kind of animal, and he just didn't know because you know, they're not in Australian, right, so they must not have Wolverine's there.
Speaker 1: So I got everything else understandable. Yeah, they have much worse things. Just wants to kill you either. This was fun.
Speaker 6: I can't remember if we talked about this, but the mansion used for Xavier School is Billy Madison's mansion from Billy Madison.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I thought that was really fun. This was Ray Park's first speaking role without another actor dubbing his voice, which I thought was cool.
Speaker 6: Apparently Bran Singer turned this movie down three times because he just was kind of he just wasn't into comic books, I guess, but he ended up reading the X Men comics and then watching the ninety two series and he liked the prejudice discrimination, you know that like how that was housed in that world. And he finally agreed to do the live action movie, which I bet he's happy did ultimately.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Probably, uh last couple here, or actually the last one. Kiwa Kwan served as an uncredited fight choreographer and he was also a translator for the fight choreographer Core You wow, bit of trivia there, Yeah, because I remember he was.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, I did stuff when I wasn't acting, you know, between when he you.
Speaker 1: Know, wasn't and then blew up again. But I thought that was kind of neat. That is neat. I didn't see that.
Speaker 6: That one was like buried. I just happened to see it. I was scrolling down. So yeah, I got lucky on that.
Speaker 1: That's really fun. How about you, Rob? What trivia you got? I just saw a couple actors that were considered for some of the roles. It looks like Brian Singer's first choice to play Wolverine was Russell Crowe, interesting he turned it down. There were other actors considered, and who knows if this is true or not, but these are the people that were considered. Mel Gibson, Aaron Eckhart, Jean Claude Van Dam, Vigo Mortensen, Ed Norton, Bob Hoskins.
Speaker 3: Wow, that would have.
Speaker 1: Been fun Keanu Reeves and Gary Sonise one of those is a different movie for sure, Yeah, totally. Yeah, that's interesting. Yeah yeah yeah, but Crow actually suggested Hugh Jackman. Crowe probably could have done it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's really good for he's a big guy though too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True, Yeah, that's a good puy. And then for Rogue, it looks like Natalie Portman turned it down. That makes so much sense since Santa Paklin, that's funny. Yep. And then it looks like some other folks were considered Kirsten Dunt, Sara Michelle Geller, Jennifer Love, Hewitt, Alicia Silverstone, Drew Barrymore, Katie Holmes, and Christina Ricci. Wowie would have been funting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think she would have given it a cool, cool go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm glad that she never got into that world. Though she never did any superhero stuff, did she.
Speaker 3: She did a speed racer?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're right, yeah, yeah, yeah, there's still time that.
Speaker 5: I love it mine. Yeah, so they considered you already said that, but sixteen different actors before they were able to find Hugh Jackman, and I was listening to h Patrick Stewart's autobiography. I listened to him read it to me and yeah, he was like, he was like, what I got the offer for this he turned it down four times? Wow, because because he literally he kept copying to the fact that he thought it was absolutely ridiculous. He's like, and he's like, you have to think about the fact that I've done how many episodes of Star Trek and any of the ridiculous stuff that we did on Star Treks. I still found this world.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he said he said in his book, he was like I had I had fans for so long basically telling me I needed to play this total pact. I was perfect for this part. I had no idea who his character was. I didn't know what was going on. I showed up on the first day and met Hugh Jackman, and they gave me like three comic books and I just kind of paged through it and I was like, okay, yeah, and then went and did what he did. And his voice, his voice I think was so great. You remember you remember these early Fox Marvel films. Spider Man included where it's it's starting with the cool like intro, right, it's got the weird crap and whatnot. But then your main actor is like starting to talk and has a voiceover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really set.
Speaker 5: The tone for that film. It was like, oh man, this is this is going to be new, this is going to be good. And they definitely got the guy to be the team leader here that you needed to get as far as.
Speaker 6: So, I feel like he made it legit too, no doubt, yea to all these actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool, especially after.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's to hear that they were looking at Alicia Silverstone, especially after because because remember at this time, like Batman had died yea, and Batman and Rock was in ninety seven, and that film was so was just just trashed. Yeah, like everyone they hated it, and so Warner Brothers were like, Okay, well we're shelving Batman, like this franchise is dead. We're not We're not going to mess with this anymore until Nolan comes back, right to.
Speaker 3: Bring it back.
Speaker 5: But yeah, to consider like Alicia Silverstone and stuff. But I think that that singer and casting and they did a really good job finding the actors that they were able to get, and I'm glad they got those actors and it would have been weird to see Keanu Reeves as as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's been interesting. It's hard to picture.
Speaker 5: It's hard to listen to in your mind, right yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah really.
Speaker 1: But yeah that's great. Nice? Nice? Will there be a sequel? Judgment Day? So many, so many, too many? Yeah? Huge? All in all oh Man for twenty five years, Patrick Swart Patrick's story. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Strangely enough, my favorite X Men film is The Wolverine where none of the other ones are sure sure it's just him?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, do you guys want to play a game? Hell, you do it. I made up a quotes game. We look at You, And so I'm gonna say a quote from a particular film. When you know the quote, you're gonna ring in with your name, and you're gonna give me three different things. You're gonna give me the name of the movie, the character who said it, and the actor's name playing the character. So you can get three points for each one of these. If you get any of those wrong, the other person can come in and steal there's no negative points for incorrect answers, and all of these films will have something in common. When you know the theme, you can ring in at any time for a point. It cool? All right, here is number one. You know what the difference is between you and me? I make this look good? Bugs, Bukes, it's men in black. It is Will Smith? Yes? And what is Will Smith's character's name? Cute? I think he's got it? J Jay, You got it.
Speaker 5: Agent j for a half point?
Speaker 1: Uh, nicely done, nicely done, nicely done. Way to go. All right, let's go to number two. What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss? Oh? Bukes, Bukes, no country for old man?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes? And what was his character's name? That's a good question. Uh oh, I know it too. You can just get his last name too, if that's I don't. I can't come up with that.
Speaker 3: Five four friendly two?
Speaker 1: Do you know what his name was? Jam?
Speaker 5: I do not. I only remember the hydraulic weapon that he used so bad.
Speaker 1: His name was Anton Sig Yeah, yeah, got that. But that's another two points for be all right this one, Michael Fast. Here it goes number three. You can't handle the truth, mah.
Speaker 5: Man I'm not gonna remember the character.
Speaker 3: Was he?
Speaker 5: In general? I don't know.
Speaker 3: A few good men?
Speaker 5: Yes, Jack Nicholson, and come on, they say it so many times in the film. Gee, I'm guying here, he's a colonel. He's a colonel, Yes he is, Jess Colonel jessup.
Speaker 1: Three points.
Speaker 5: I'll jump on the Tom Cruise films for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what is the theme? Do they all have men in the title? They all have men in the title, all right, all over the place. So that might make this easier. Order or these I'm going to be The first four were? The first three were the where the okay? For sure. That's so it's going to get a little, is what I'm saying. Jess up, Colonel Jes. That's nice. Yeah, that was awesome, all right. Number four the rabbits were going to get and I get to tendem.
Speaker 6: Bukes, bukes of mice and men.
Speaker 1: Of mice and men. Lenny definitely, that is Lenny laid By. It's the it's the sling blade guy. I got kicked out of a dressing room by him. What is his stupid name? No, that's not him, isn't it him? And okay, never mind?
Speaker 5: Is it Vince Defornio.
Speaker 1: No, no, nope, it was John Malkovich.
Speaker 6: That's what I was thinking. I was thinking, what's his name, Rob? I can't I think of his name.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. Who kicks you out of a dress? Spring blade guy Billy. I was thinking him for some role at at the at the State Fair, at the State Fair, the same stage, and they were like, you gotta go.
Speaker 6: They need the whole thing. And I was like, all right, that's I get it. Hurt my feelings, but.
Speaker 1: You still got of mice and men and Lenny, so nicely done. Thank you. All right, here's number five here it is. No, I have to do this my way. You tell me what you know and I'll confirm. I'll keep you in the right direction if I can. But that's all. Just follow the money, oh geez, just follow the money is kind of the big line in this where this was the first time that was really used.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say, bugs, bugs, Oh no, it's.
Speaker 1: Not that God, what is it? All the presidents men?
Speaker 3: Enemy of this dude.
Speaker 1: I don't know who plays it though, very famous older actor. I've only ever seen that once. Yeah, yeah, Anthony, And do you know who played deep throat? His name is hal hole brook Hold, but I can't even picture his face. Bennet's so many movies. Wow, dude, nicely done. You got.
Speaker 3: The film podcast?
Speaker 1: It doesn't always cool? Where are we after five? I have ten? Jm's got three. Everybody's in it, It's all in it. This was kind of an obscure quote from this next movie. I love it, but I always thought it was so ridiculous, So I'm going to say it number six. Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism from which one extracts the what one needs. God damn it. What is that problem? I know that too? And I had a very little mousey Puerto Rican voice, Puerto Rican voice? Okay, so bugs is it white men can't jump? It's white man can't is? What is her name though? Boy?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, Sophia or something so uh no? And then actress. I really should know her name, but I can't think of it right now. She's so funny that beppep j Max. Do you know who the actor is.
Speaker 3: And do you remember I do not remember the character's name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have you kinda on the right track with Sophia, but it's not. It's an Ea at the end. But it's Glory Gloria. That makes sense. Name totally Gloria Clemente say, I can't jump you each got one? There, got it? That's such a good line. Yeah, we'll see how this one goes. Number seven. I've laid more pipe in this town than Wabisha plumbing. Oh man, I swear this before something with men in the title men. Yep, it's in Wabisha. It's in Minnesota. Oh, so it's bugs bugs, grumpy old man. It's grumpy old man. Is that Walter math Out that's is it? It's not? And what is the name? What is the character name? It's his name Jack. I'm just gonna say Jack. I don't know so close it's not. Actually think I know what it is now, j Max. So it's not Walter Mathough.
Speaker 5: Isn't Jack?
Speaker 1: I know it's Jack Lemon. And then his name John, I think he is John. It's John. It is John, John Gustafson A good Minnesota. Uh, so you got one. I was looking I was. I was looking through the quotes, and I was like, oh, this, this will probably give away that episode. I'm turning forty soon. I need to rewatch grumpy old man y times into that a little more, you know. Yes, all right, here's number eight, because unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent. Views it sounds like it's from Robin Hood. Men in tights, men in tights? It is? Oh, who is is it Coster? It's not, then it's the sheriff. No, No, Robinhood menintites Jmack. The quote is because unlike some other Robin Hood's, I can speak with an English accent. So Robinhood is correct and carry out. Yes, got cool. Let's go to number nine. We'll see how this goes. We'll see always the same and now all this. No more stones, no more spears, no more slings, no more swords, no more weapons, no more systems, no more no more superpowers, so much faith in their tools, in their machines. You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babbel, but you can never strike god. J J.
Speaker 5: Is it watchmen?
Speaker 1: It's not that super good guess it's a really good guest. Does it have to be men or can it be a single? No, it's men men. Yeah, more spears matchstick men. Oh no, that's a that would have been a fun one to use. I didn't use that. This was a different X Men. This was X Men Apocalypse. That makes sense. Okay, yeah, that was apocalypse saying it an oscarizer. Where are we going? And how where are we at going? Into? Number thirteen is eight? All right, us is our winner. But very respectable, very fun game, very respectful, very well done. Let's see how we do at number ten. Yeah. I'm an architect, for Christ's sake. I build fifty story skyscrapers. I assemble cities of the future. I can certainly put together a goddamn diaper. Oh god what uh J.
Speaker 5: Two men and a baby character?
Speaker 1: Ohn character name probably not, but it's the architect. If you remember who the architect.
Speaker 12: Was A guess, Gutenberg, that's what I Gutenberg was the a cartoonist.
Speaker 1: I think he was a cartoon Was Tom the Tom seller? Tom was the architect. Yeah, I don't know what his name is. Michael.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would have been something big, something important for sure.
Speaker 1: Peter Mitchell was his But yeah, which you can one. Nice job. Lots of men movies.
Speaker 3: Lots of men movies, that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the nineties we were all about that movie for sure.
Speaker 3: Definitely nice.
Speaker 1: But yeah, bugs, you're gonna tell us how we do our top five blades in movies draft. But that's just going to be for our patrons.
Speaker 6: That's right, just for the patrons. If you want to check that out, go to patreon dot com slash They have an endorsement right.
Speaker 1: Now, you guys can hang out. Keep an eye out for free Bert coming soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, free Bert on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, it's gonna be great. Uh and then yeah, let us know when your when your thing comes out as well. Definitely have a title yet.
Speaker 3: Right the Yeah, it's a working talking about it.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love get something good.
Speaker 1: Well, super great to have you back, man, We love to thanks for coming.
Speaker 5: On and what a great movie to come back on.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Well that does it today for X men. I'm Rob one Quist.
Speaker 6: I'm being thank you so much for litening until we talk to you next time. Enjoy the great indoors.
Speaker 1: The sun is shining out.
Speaker 3: A cloud in the sky.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't know because we're so happy inside. Some people row a boat or put on some skis, but we would rather sit on down and talk some movies. We're the avid Indoorsmen. Come listen to our show, where the evid Indoorsmen at home, more on the go, where the Evidendorsmen.
Speaker 4: We hope you love it, Sols, so come on in and stay. I will do our best to make use my We thev indoors Man