Speaker 1: Hello there.
Speaker 2: My name is Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and.
Speaker 1: Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast contains grabbing content and material intended more mature audience. Listener discretion is advise nail the nailed at this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the first time in a few weeks flawless.
Speaker 1: Also my little uh not obi Wan Canobi in there. I don't know if you even caught onto that.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't actually hello there.
Speaker 1: Star Wars people know Star Wars.
Speaker 2: People know Hey, I've watched some Star Wars. I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if you know that one.
Speaker 2: I think I do.
Speaker 1: Maybe obi Wan Kenobi says hello.
Speaker 2: There, Hello there.
Speaker 1: He's known for that.
Speaker 2: I thought you were just saying hello there to everyone.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I was as olbi Wan Kenobi, but I wasn't impersonating obi Wan Kenobi. It was just a nod to obi Wan Kenobe. You know, you.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone, you know not. Everyone might not like Star.
Speaker 1: Wars, but they do like true crime and I like Alkamahole. I was gonna say beer, but yeah, same thing.
Speaker 2: I'm actually drinking a smearing off ice. I'm really changing it up. It's not local, it's not wine, like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we kind of need the booze this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cheers first of all, and cheers to you guys out there listening chures welcome. This has been one roller coaster of a week. First off, we hit one thousand followers on Instagram. Whoa, So thank you to everyone out.
Speaker 2: There for that inst sweet bollus on there. We're gonna just like post more and more.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, definitely, we're getting memes and there's always not always there's usually a hint for the upcoming episode, which I seriously thought I had people fooled on this one. I can't believe.
Speaker 2: But you fail as guest, one day you will we will win one day.
Speaker 1: One day. That's literally are at least my mission? Is it for you too?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's my mission.
Speaker 2: It's one hundred percent more of your mission. And I bet you it won't be my mission, but I'll win probably.
Speaker 1: But the more people don't tune in, the harder it's gonna get.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, because some people are like like I thought I was a True Crime fan before, but like I don't think I was some comparatively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like there's I don't think I would have guessed any of our hints. Well maybe one or two. Well, like like it has.
Speaker 2: A good work.
Speaker 1: And then we hit another milestone this week you want to dish it.
Speaker 2: We hit a hundred thousand plays on the podcast Lock and Wild.
Speaker 1: You guys have listened to us now officially over one hundred.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's like one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 1: I think we're at one hundred and thirteen thousand plays.
Speaker 2: Now, which is just crazy.
Speaker 1: That's what you guys have listened to us.
Speaker 2: It's funny when I tell people this, I'm like, yeah, I guess people like us. I don't really know why what they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, as far as everyone's told us, it's like you guys are sitting down chatting with friends, which we love.
Speaker 2: That love. That's actually the vibe that if I would pick a vibe, that'd be the vibell.
Speaker 1: Definitely, definitely the vibe.
Speaker 2: The vibe we are. We have the vibe down.
Speaker 1: We have the vibe down. And then lastly, we have some news that rolled in today.
Speaker 2: This is like personal news, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, we sold our house officially, it's sold.
Speaker 2: It's freakin' sold. And that was a roller coaster of a motherfucker ride.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was. Yeah, well that was anything in everything that could have made that even more stressful, made that just that much more stressful, and it happened. It was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like I literally after it was finally announced that it was official, both of us were just like this major weight our shoulders just sayank a little bit. It was really nice feeling.
Speaker 1: Actually, I feel like I just grew like two inches taller and like lost like thirty pounds off my shoulders in that stress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even if it's not like on your mind at that particular time, it's on your mind still, like it's just back there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we are moving into our tiny home this September. September twentieth is our official. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We have to be out of here in three weeks.
Speaker 1: So you guys are going to be seeing a lot of tiny home stuff coming up on our Instagram, probably at least in the stories.
Speaker 2: Which is sweet.
Speaker 1: And you are going to be hearing tiny home podcasts pretty soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wonder how it's gonna sound in there.
Speaker 1: Hey, right, we'll make it sound good. Oh, we do have another thing tomorrow. You are officially Oh yeah, haste full time photographer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as of four thirty, I do not have a corporate day job anymore, full.
Speaker 1: Time photography, and who knows, maybe you'll be doing like some full time podcast and soon too.
Speaker 2: I know, it's like wild, I don't know what's going to what I'm going to do. I think I bet you would be another just like weight lifted off, probably because that place I don't know work. I got slapped in the face this year and really was shown that you're kind of just a number. You know, you work your ass off for other people, but you are replaceable, so to some, not to all companies. Some companies are better, but especially like corporate you know, I really think even more so you're probably just a number.
Speaker 1: Well, I definitely feel you there. You and I are both, or at least we're both in that situation. As of tomorrow, you no longer are, but we are slowly moving towards that direction of our life goal doing podcast, photography, videography and living the tiny home life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be like doing our own ventures, and you'll be behind me very You'll be there soon, very soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we of course have all you guys helping us on that path. So thank you very much everything along thing this journey so far.
Speaker 2: And it's funny when you first said that why we're drinking, I was gonna be like, yeah, because this case is fucked. You told me is why I need alcohol. This case is not because of these other things.
Speaker 1: So to warn everyone out there, if you recall, if you did listen to forty four Days of Hell, Junco Fortura, I think because how you actually say your name. I believe I was pronouncing your name. Okay, okay, I think I had the R in the wrong spot of her name. It's Fortura, I think. But it's very reminiscent of that episode, which is the worst episode we've done so far.
Speaker 2: Well, it shook me.
Speaker 1: This one's not quite as bad, but it's almost.
Speaker 2: As bad because the amount that I still think about that episode like just blows my mind. It was this the worst story I think I've ever heard. Yeah, and so everyone on the on instagrams, oh my gosh, I'm so excited, and here I'm just like, shit, how can I get out of this? But no, it is like at least it's entertaining, but it's just like, oh, it's just brutal. But I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Well, buckle up your seatbelts, because we are moving into the case that is known as the Hello Kitty Murder. Oh gosh, if that's not a creepy name, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did see that on Instagram because yeah, I kind of followed the comments, but I do actually read the comments. Yeah, and I was like that, and that's literally what went through my mind. That's a fucked up name. But okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: You're gonna learn why it's a fucked up name, because this is a fucked up case.
Speaker 2: Really really, okay, I do know.
Speaker 1: Well, surprise, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna I should have got a second smear en off. But that's okay.
Speaker 1: We can pause this.
Speaker 2: We can pause it for a beverage break.
Speaker 1: Get a whole ass bottle of wine in each hand. Okay, let's go into this. So in May of nineteen ninety nine, a young fourteen year old girl made her way to the Hong Kong police station. This takes place in Hong Kong. Clearly, if you didn't catch on to that, now you know, yeah, no, I know, okay, So slowly she opened the door and reluctantly walked in. She spoke with the officers at the front desk in a terrified voice, and she revealed that for the past several weeks she had been constantly plagued by the ghost of a woman who had been bound by electrical wire, beaten, and tortured to death. Her lifeless body would follow her into her dreams, where she would see her headless and a voice would scream at her, saying to give her head back.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a lot to take care.
Speaker 2: That is a lot, because ever says like, oh, no, she's only fourteen, but okay, but well, just I hold on that. I know, I know, yeah I jumped there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But police were clearly this is a lot taken Like, police are like, what the fuck right, They're stunned. Yeah, they weren't really too sure what to think of this for the most part. They kind of just brushed her off, really kind of dismissing it as nothing more than like nightmares or just having a nightmare, or potentially even just a kid pulling a prank. They quickly looked her up in the system at the front desk, and she had known to have some like run away and run in with the police and.
Speaker 2: That sort of stuff, so dang it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they're like, okay, maybe she's just like pulling a prank or just you know, you got to go home. Like what can the police do about your nightmares? Like, sorry, little girl, like maybe talk to your mom and dad or maybe I don't know, try not watching scary movies before beds sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Listening to True crime afore.
Speaker 1: Bed Yeah that too.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people actually listened to that to like fall asleep, and I probably thinks hilarious.
Speaker 1: I usually listen on my ride to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I.
Speaker 1: Quit my day job, I'm gonna have to find a spot to listen to my true crime.
Speaker 2: I usually listen on road trips. I get caught up by I haven't really been doing any road trips, so I'm a little behind.
Speaker 1: You'll find time. Yeah, there's always time. Yeah, true crime there is, oh T shirt.
Speaker 2: Idea, there's always time. But crime. There you go, and your nasty, nasty, nasty. That's my favorite.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. So the police attitude, however, did quickly change when the girl explained that the ghost was of a woman that she had the hand in of murdering.
Speaker 2: Oh that would change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the officers are like, wait, you helped kill this woman.
Speaker 2: Excuse.
Speaker 1: So officers were led back to the girls apartment and the city's run down Kowloon district. I really hope I pronounce that right. And there they walked up through the apartment number thirty one on Granville.
Speaker 2: Road, and so the little girls leading them her apartment.
Speaker 1: They're taking, well, it's not her apartment, but where she lives. Well, yeah, to the apartment she claims that murder. Murder happened. So it was a five bedroom apartment, and when officers arrived, they were greeted with an overwhelming smell of rot and decaying.
Speaker 2: Gross.
Speaker 1: The girl's dreams may not have been dreams. They may more likely have been very real nightmares.
Speaker 2: Oh gross.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's kind of our little introduction.
Speaker 2: That's quite the intro.
Speaker 1: So this case is actually a little fact for you here, little factoids. This case has been labeled as the fourth most infamous case in Hong Kong as per Poles in early two thousands, but many actually argue that it's since risen to number one.
Speaker 2: Really interesting, and there's.
Speaker 1: Also been two film adaptations in two thousand and one of this gruesome case.
Speaker 2: Which and that's what you posted.
Speaker 1: It was one of the hints. It was one of the film posters on Instagram. The two films are titled Human Pork Chop and There's a Secret in My Soup. You raised your hand like you had a question.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you don't have to announce that. I love it. But okay, are those like I'm curious, I forgot to ask, are those like popular movies or what? Are not really like I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure they were, like they were more popular at the time in Hong Kong. I don't think they've had well, they might have translated copies. I don't know. Okay, I've never watched them. I kinda I almost want to now, but now also knowing that they're adapted from a real murder, it's like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if like I do like those true stories, but normally, like for sports inspirational.
Speaker 1: Movies, yeah, yeah, you get that Sandra Bullock in there with the football one hundred percent, but like this one is like, I don't know, I don't think like a horror movie should be adapted from a true true crime. I understand like entertainment value in wanting to see horror movies. I love that but it's I don't know, it almost seems like it's crossing that line for much maybe for the victim, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm not I.
Speaker 1: Want to watch these movies, but I'm a little bit conflicted at the same time. So anyways, this is the story of Fan Man Yee. She was born in nineteen seventy six. She had a rough childhood. Her life began as she was abandoned as a child by her parents and she was forced to be raised in an all girls' school in Hong Kong. Oh god, they're good.
Speaker 2: No, I'm already not good. You're just like holding your my heart. It just like she had a ship life right from the get go. Oh but I mean, would it be better if she didn't?
Speaker 1: But still would it be better if she didn't?
Speaker 2: Well no, it might mean like would this story be easier to swallow if she had a good childhood? I dobably not think. So, Okay, I'm already there, Okay, let's do it. Let's do it. We're doing it.
Speaker 1: Okay. She grew up into her teen years, and she began to develop a drug addiction and to help support her addictions, just like many others did, into becoming a sex worker and pay for the habits that she developed.
Speaker 2: As a teenager. Sucks.
Speaker 1: Okay, things did eventually turn around for fan Men Ye. However, by the time she was twenty three years old, she ended up landing herself a nice, steady job and was working as a hostess at a nightclub in Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Right on.
Speaker 1: No, like hostess isn't necessarily like a glamor like a glamorous, super high paying job. But it was a job, and it was a good job for her, and it was a way to escape the life that she grew up in and she learned to hate.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she's trying to make like a better life for herself. She's trying to get out of that.
Speaker 2: So that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. She was, however, still living paycheck to paycheck, aren't we all? Yeah, one hundred percent, Like so many people can understand the pressure that it brings, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people live that way.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, well, struggle to pay bills, like any sort of savings, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I got a burp. This beer is like foamy. I'm good xy, No, I'm not good, Okay, now I'm good. Sorry, my bad.
Speaker 2: Oh welcome to wickeding Man.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's pretty well sums it up right there. So, she unfortunately was still a sex worker on the side to earn necessary money that she needed to subsidize her paycheck. And although she despised using drugs anymore, she was still using. She had an addiction, right Okay, it was hard for her to turn away, and a lot of people who struggle with addiction can attest to the same sort of thing. So with an addiction, with whatever extra money she did end up accumulating with intentions of saving, she would tend to spend it on her addiction, right dang. In nineteen ninety six, Fan, I'm going to not refer to as fan Man yet just Fan. From here on out, her life began to look up a little bit. She got married and she had given birth to a baby boy.
Speaker 2: Wow. Right on.
Speaker 1: Her family kept her going and it gave her a reason to try and aim for a better life, even though both her and her husband were using drugs. Yes. So, then in nineteen ninety seven, she met thirty four year old She met a thirty four year old there you go, my bad man by the name of chan Man Luck. While working at the nightclub and the two hit it off, and as it turns out, Chan happened to be a pimp who sold drugs.
Speaker 2: Okay, but she's also still married.
Speaker 1: She's still married, yes, and.
Speaker 2: Meeting someone else that she's hitting it off with.
Speaker 1: Well, she didn't like originally, just hit it off with them in like a sexual way. It was more so likely became friends at first, Okay, but him being a pimp. I mean, things turn a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I lost my place.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'm very intrigued here. I'm allowed to ask questions.
Speaker 1: You are you are? I'm not giving you shit. I'm just trying to stall while I find my.
Speaker 2: Spot on the point knows you asked me a million questions during a case, and you have no patience whatsoever to find out the outcome.
Speaker 1: I get really excited and curious you do. Oh, I lost my spot entirely, like page even.
Speaker 2: I was trying to stall.
Speaker 1: More for you, I know, but then I was talking to you. But here we are. I found it.
Speaker 2: We're good, okay, awesome, Okay.
Speaker 1: So it was the beginning of a very convenient friendship, Like I said, friendship for the both of them. Fan had joined Manlocke's group of girls. So I should refer him as Chan. I wrote there his last name him. So Chan this group of girls he would set out on jobs. So she did what she was told, not necessarily told or demanded, but she was like, yeah, sure, I'll join in, right, she set out to work. She looked at his benefit for her to earn new clients. It was an opportunity to get out there and use that market that he was in to bring in more money for herself and of course have a drug dealer basically on speed dial on the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this doesn't sound like it's going to be the best for her.
Speaker 1: Definitely not. And it did get to the point too where Chan would actually pay Fan for sex as well.
Speaker 2: Oh really yes, So.
Speaker 1: They didn't have an intimate relationship per se, but they did exchange money for sex the two of them.
Speaker 2: And like her when she was with her husband previously to meeting Chan, was she being a sex worker too?
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, she's been a sex worker pretty well this whole time since her teens.
Speaker 2: Okay, so even while she was married there with the kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, it's not clear to me as far as whether the husband knows she was a sex worker.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's what I was curious.
Speaker 1: Later on in the court case through this whole thing, her husband does say that she was clean, she wasn't using anymore. Whether that was a flat out lie or he just didn't know, but okay, so it could very well be the same thing. He was just not knowledgeable of the sex work as well.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it came to March seventeenth, nineteen ninety nine, when fans drug addiction once again got the better of her, and this time she didn't have any money at hand to support it. So she became desperate for cash, and she made a decision that would that she would regret for the rest of her life. She turned to stealing Chan's wallet. Now, her and Chan were together one evening for a sexual encounter that he was paying her for, okay, And after he had left the room, she snagged his wallet and stole his cash.
Speaker 2: And he's like, scary dud.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a pimp, drug dealer guy, so he's into gangs and shit and yeah.
Speaker 2: Shit, yeah, I guess so.
Speaker 1: So the wallet would contain approximately twenty thousand Hong Kong dollars, which would equal out to two thousand five hundred and sixty US dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, At first, I was like, whoa, who cares?
Speaker 1: Around twenty genis which is approximately equivalent to four thousand, three hundred and fifty four dollars today in US dollars.
Speaker 2: Which is like, still a significant amount of money to just be carrying in your freaking wallet.
Speaker 1: It is, and if you put that into Canadian that's probably damn near five thousand dollars Canadian today.
Speaker 2: I feel like, if I have fifty bucks in my wallet, I'm like, we live in life.
Speaker 1: Whoa, I go to Timmy's Boys. Okay, sorry, Timmy's run aside. So when Chan found out, he was literally in a brutal blind rage when he discovered that his money was missing, and he obviously quickly was able to figure out who stole it, as Fan was the only one in the room at the time it went missing. Right, So he set out and up with his friends, twenty seven year old Lung shin Cho, twenty one year old Lung Wai Lun, and Chan's fourteen year old underage girlfriend. Now remember Chan is I believe thirty four years old, oh and his girlfriend is fourteen wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is going south isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, With his three accomplices, they went out, kidnapped Fan and took her back to his apartment at number thirty one Granville Road, where they imprisoned her.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness okay and that fourt okay.
Speaker 1: Oh you're putting it together as a fourteen.
Speaker 2: Year old girl usually doesn't connect. But it's connecting to way to go.
Speaker 1: Good job him five on that one?
Speaker 2: Yes, boh okay, wow okay.
Speaker 1: So Chan's plan originally was to pimp out Fan continuously until he felt that his debt was paid back plus interest.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, when Fan was first confronted, she quickly admitted what she'd done, like super storry, gave the money back instantly, plus a couple hundred more that she had earned in the time that it took for Chan to find her. So she had paid back already the money plus.
Speaker 2: Interest, which is really good it is.
Speaker 1: However, Chan didn't consider this payment to the debt. This was just his money.
Speaker 2: He's not a forgiving dude, no, by the sounds of it.
Speaker 1: So he got his money. It was already his money. But now she owes him plus interest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but shared he paid him extra.
Speaker 1: That was his money now he needs her money plus interest. That's the perspective he had.
Speaker 2: Terrible will make mistakes, And she was like having an addiction, like, but I'm sure this dude is just not a kind of person.
Speaker 1: I would not label him as kind.
Speaker 2: He's probably the opposite of kind.
Speaker 1: I would label him as many things, among one of them probably a douche canoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a nasty mouful.
Speaker 1: You're nasty, That's what i'd say to Yeah, he's he's a piece of work. This man's piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Well I already feel that way, and I probably don't even know half of it.
Speaker 1: Like if if shit could walk and it was this person, no, no, no, if shit could walk and it would step in shit, it would be like, ew, I stepped in chan. That's what shit would say.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, so nice.
Speaker 1: Right, Well not really, it's kind of gross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's it's a nice description. I like it. I like it a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I went later on here we're going to get into some well coming up here. Actually, in a moment, I went to some good descriptive writing. So let's see how I'll do it.
Speaker 2: All cool.
Speaker 1: Now being held captive, fan was about to endure more in a month than any human ever should in a lifetime. And to top it all off, the place she was being held captive at was something out of a nightmare, but not something you would expect. Side note, here's where my descriptive writing comes in. Let's say, okay, let's see how I do. I'm really proud of this, but to be fair, I wrote it when I was really tired last night and I haven't gone over it since. So maybe maybe it's terrible. We'll find out. So I'm gonna read it verbatim here. Okay, we all know creepy places are dark, cold, and even damp. Maybe there are echoes that ring through large open spaces but you can't see how far it goes. Or maybe the walls are tight with a low, overhanging roof that seems to be shrinking down every minute. Perhaps it's a tranquil forest where no person is around. You are totally alone, but once you stop to listen, you notice there are no birds chirping or humming of insects, just silence. How was that that was good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: Had I'm a back for that one?
Speaker 2: Like ten? Ten? Good job, thank you?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this place was not that kind of creepy. This place was a totally different kind of creepy. It's kind of reminiscent of like, you know, some people are afraid of, like birthday clowns, like the laughs, the smiles and every move like it's creepy. Right, Yeah, Well, this apartment, for whatever reason, was similar to that. It was a doorn top to bottom with brightly colored Hello Kitty decor.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is where this comes in.
Speaker 1: From pillows to blankets, to dishes, furniture posters that covered the walls, dolls, plush toys in the apartment. It was just full on hell Hello Kitty, room for room.
Speaker 2: Whose freaking apartment was this?
Speaker 1: This was Chance apartment.
Speaker 2: Really. I don't know if it was one of maybe I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if it was his like stay at apartment, but I do know that he opers rated as a drug dealer and a pimp out of this apartment. He did a lot of like transaction stores sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: He was like literally obsessed with Hello Killer Kitty.
Speaker 1: I think, so, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Wild, yeah, but I like, oh, I'm the Hello Kitty I think is well popular here too, but even worse over there.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I'm not too sure if it is even more so over there, but I do know, like literally when Hello Kitty came out, like it was just exploded, like worldwide.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember being in a Hello Kitty store when I was like probably fourteen.
Speaker 1: Ye. I don't know where I was here in northern British Columbia.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, it's just a store chilling out a pine tree. When I was there, Oh that makes sense, was dead, Yeah, gotcha. But I wasn't super into Hello Kitty. But I was like also, like, this is okay. I can get down for this. But I don't think i'd have my whole house no decorated Hello Kitty. I wasn't quite there. No, no, not quite.
Speaker 1: Maybe one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe the tiny Oh this our tiny home. Let's do Hello Kitty.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Can we like sculpt a big Hello Kitty head on the front of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could paint it like pink and white and just go all out here.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: None, we can like, oh, we can put our microphones hook it up to the mouth of Hello Kitty. So when we talked, the mouth move at the front of the tiny home.
Speaker 2: Okay, side note, though, this Hello Kitty for me as a kid would probably be Eminem's. Remember how I had literally every eminem to censor possible and I thought Eminem's was like the sweetest thing. I was an Eminem for Halloween.
Speaker 1: What about beanie babies though?
Speaker 2: I was also obsessed with that? Oh yeah, I had a lot of obsessions actually as a small or early child or no like early teens.
Speaker 1: Tweens, as a as a toddler to adult to now, yeah, because you still have a bin full of beanie babies in storage.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just because like that was my life saving so it.
Speaker 1: Might be worth millions one day. Okay, let's get back to this. We're distracted here. Okay, So everything that occurred over the next month isn't exactly known. I just want to highlight the word exactly. We do know things that happened, but we don't know everything that happened. Okay, okay, And that's going to come to play a little later on. Some of the things we can assume happen though that Chant had many people come by to pay for time with her. Again, it was never said specifically, but we can assume that happened again to potentially pay off that debt.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that was just like original plan. So yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And eventually it moved on to being beat and tortured daily, and beatings and tortures began. Now they can't necessarily pimper out because bruises, beatings, swelling, right, So it just turned straight into the torture.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the individuals, this is where we start getting into it. To anyone who's a little squeamish out there, So the individuals already done it. But okay, oh you thought we already went over.
Speaker 2: Yeah I thought that was it.
Speaker 1: But oh no, no, no, no, we're we're really diving in deep here. So while she was being held captive, what would happen to her by these individuals. They would regularly be high on meth, first of all, and they would beat her, and I mean beat her. She was beaten with metal bars, shit kicked repeatedly and I mean repeatedly, and stomped repeatedly. Okay, yeah, Melted plastic would be dripped and poured over her body as she was tied and bound.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah you're good, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 1: The she wanted to make fans suffer most of all, but they also wanted her to not be able to run away. Oh jeez, uh oh, you're good. Yeah here, so they would frequently use her as a literal punching bag, much like Junko was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They would stuff things into her open wounds and cuts to cause her more pain and infections. Lighters would be held up to the bare soles of her feet to burn so she couldn't stand or walk. She would be having her feet burned as she screamed, and she was She would try to pull away but couldn't because of her restraints. Cords and cables were used to keep her bound and in many cases used to beat and strangle her as well. The young fourteen year old girl who went to the police, she even recalls a time when she was ordered to defecate in a box so they could force feed it.
Speaker 2: To find Oh my gosh, okay, I shut up for a minute there, but this is just too much, this is just.
Speaker 1: So, that's all we Wow, she went through.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's fucked, that's fucked. That's mega mega, megafucked.
Speaker 1: So over the course of a month, fanandered all this punish to the point where she was eventually either killed by one of the incidents, or it succumbed to the wounds she had received over the course of the imprisonment.
Speaker 2: And sorry, do we know it wasn't like a month or we don't know.
Speaker 1: It was over the course of a month.
Speaker 2: Okay, not that that's like not that's still a freaking long ass time.
Speaker 1: But that's still a long time.
Speaker 2: It was longer. Holy shit, Right, I need to take a either.
Speaker 1: Are you good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm great, you're great. Yeah, you sure, Yeah, I'm great.
Speaker 1: Taking a swig of that drink. I'm almost out, it's almost gone. Wow, that's impressive.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Rerick, I told you.
Speaker 1: I had to take a swig of mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay. So when she did die, though, Chen and his friends didn't really seem to care, there was no remorse. It was as if a simple object in the apartment was broken and it was time to get rid of it and move on. So they began the process of disposing her body.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just have to say, like, literally stealing is bad, but like just stealing, and like she apologized and gave it back and was like just making a mistake, and she had like an excuse because she was addicted to drugs, and like, did this really deserve this? No, it did not deserve this, Like like that's nuts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these guys are fucked. They are one hundred percent gum.
Speaker 2: They deserve to burn totally.
Speaker 1: So when they began disposing her body, they first brought her to the bathtub and they cut her arteries and started bleeding her out in the bathtub.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought I was gonna go break in bad stop but okay, no, well.
Speaker 1: We're almost there.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Once she was drained, they began to hack at her body with a saw and dismember her into pieces. Reportedly, the process took approximately ten hours to complete. Oh frank as they cut away at fan with a saw. Ten hours.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like it should have taken ten hours.
Speaker 1: I mean it shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: Like either they don't know what they're doing, like even remotely, or like they were just really really enjoying the process.
Speaker 1: I think they just did not know what they were doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still, like someone who's really stupid could probably do it quicker than.
Speaker 1: That, probably because like this is a really morbid conversation.
Speaker 2: First, okay, but I'm just like it should dig that long.
Speaker 1: The reason why I'm saying I'm talking in this context is again because I'm a hunter. I've butchered animals, right, My dad and I have butchered an entire moose in less time. And I'm talking like that's nice cuts, making.
Speaker 2: Things like how much is a moose? Way?
Speaker 1: You know a moose is a thousand pounds?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm thinking, from someone who has absolutely zero experience with any of this kind of shit, that I don't think it should take ten hours. Shouldn't, but I mean, do it quicker.
Speaker 1: They're probably high on meth.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and taking breaks having snacks or.
Speaker 1: Having snacks, I don't know. You gotta get those goldfish. Oh wow. Okay. So they would remove her head and her limbs, and for whatever reason they even began to disembowel her. They would cut open her stomach and remove many of her organs and they bag them. Now again, this is where it kind of goes to the theory that a lot of meth was involved, because ere they're drug addicts to begin with and drug dealers, and they're probably high, not really thinking straight, and they're just doing random shit, right.
Speaker 2: Like bagging organs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it had no real pattern to what they were doing in any of the disposal methods, because they did many methods. They were trying to hide the body, they're trying to get rid of DNA whatever, but there was no consistency, which I might I just have.
Speaker 2: To say really quickly, it's kind of maybe it shows that they haven't done this before, which I guess is kind of nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So most of her body was disposed of in trash bins and waste stations where unfortunately it would never be found again. Oh shocks, where some of her organs that had been bagged were simply thrown out the window to land on an awning below. Some of her organs were stored in the fridge, along with one of her teeth. Okay, now, fans head is where it really gets weird. They of course decapitated her, we know that. But then they would then place her head inside a pot and boiled it and cooked it inside a gas stove. What yep? Okay, why I think they're trying to destroy any DNA?
Speaker 2: Okay, right, so you've already said this numerous times.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, but still, that is.
Speaker 2: That's a visual one I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There, So then.
Speaker 1: After that was done, they took They took her cooked skull coated in her boiled flesh, and stuffed it inside the head of a large Hello Kitty Mermaid plush doll and sewed it shut.
Speaker 2: Who yeah, my dinner, dinner.
Speaker 1: Is coming up, and so we're gonna make sure we post a phot photo of that plush doll on Instagram.
Speaker 2: That's nasty. And is that like what was stinking?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, you called the head a little bit, but yes, that's what's.
Speaker 2: That's what's so they didn't even like boil it enough to like have it not stink. Well, I mean you maybe that could boil.
Speaker 1: You could boil a roast. Just think boil a roast till it's like thoroughly cooked, well cooked, and then you leave it on the counter, it's going to start stinking. Cooked meat will start stinking too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was almost thinking that they'd boil it so much that there was like it was just skull, no, because like obviously it's gonna stink then.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there in this Hello Kitty Mermaid plush doll. She sat for the next month until the fourteen year old girlfriend of Chen led the police to the apartment at the door of number thirty one. The smell of rot was extremely present and obvious, just kind of like we were talking about. In fact, the other tenants of the building had reported the smell coming from the apartment over the past month since Fan's death, but officials just kind of brushed it off as garbage that had been piling up in or around the apartment building. It wasn't a very nice part of town. It was kind of like a lower lower class sort of thing, and not so good cleanliness in the area, right, Okay, so it was kind of brushed off at the time, But when police had followed the girls to the apartment, they had opened the door and the stench hit them like a ton of bricks. But inside there wasn't a whole lot to find. The Hello Kitty furniture, posters and other belongings had mostly been moved out, and there was no one in sight. The tenants had left one thing they did leave behind, though there was a few scattered possessions and things that they left behind, But the one thing they did leave behind was a large Hello Kitty mermaid plush toy.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, just to clarify, was most the Hello Kitty stuff out of the house that Yes, okay. I was envisioning them, the police, being like, whoa, Hello Kitty World. Okay, No, it was all it was all gone, okay. I see.
Speaker 1: Just you sounded really excited, like as if it was your first first person perspective of being a police officer, like walking in be like, oh my god, so much Hello Kitty, woa, Hello Kitty world. Like you sounded excited.
Speaker 2: I don't know, being like a police officer, and like some of the shit you see is probably intense, and that would just be intense, like going into this Hello Kitty World and this foul smell and.
Speaker 1: It's definitely expect I mean, imagine going to this really run down apartment building and you are told by this girl someone was just murdered in here, and you're just present at this door with just rot smell, and you open the door and it's just brightly colored Hello Kitty everywhere, like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Like it would be a visual Like I just feel like it just wouldn't be like a normal day in the office.
Speaker 1: I don't think my response would be nope, and I'm going, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Actually don't feel good. I have to go home.
Speaker 1: Fuck this shiitamn mount.
Speaker 2: This mount. Actually, that would be one that I think would be fascinating. You just like plug your nose and put a mask on and dive in. Man.
Speaker 1: No thanks, Okay, nope, I'm good. I can't stand the smell of rotten meat because that, like butchering animals for as a hunter before, like some cuts go bad sometimes if you leave the meat out too long, okay, and like that rank smell. Like I that's one like one of the only things in this world that has only ever made me throw up, well close to throwing.
Speaker 2: Up, I should say, I don't even know if I've ever really.
Speaker 1: Smelt that rancid meat is It's disgusting. Mm hmm. Okay, where am I now? Right? The Hello Kitty doll that was left behind, right, so, the toy that was of course once nice white off fabric and nice little plush toy was now blotched with some sort of thick, reddish, gross mucus. Oh gosh, the doll looked like death, smelt like it nice. So police of course opened it up, and inside they found fans head covered in a swarm of maggots. Ohly frig so among the head they found what was left behind in the fridge, which was a few organs and a tooth, and the bloodied, soaked bathtub.
Speaker 2: Wow, so they really didn't clean up at all, Like it's kind of what did they think?
Speaker 1: Like, I just they just abandoned the crime scene. Yeah, so pretty So to sum that up, all that they found a fan was her boiled head, a few organs, and a tooth. Okay, everything else was disposed of.
Speaker 2: I just feel like it's so random that you dispose of some things but not all But okay.
Speaker 1: Right, especially considering like they boiled the head to try and get rid of DNA, like why bother? But then the bathtub is coated in blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it just doesn't make any sense. It doesn't like obviously they're not very.
Speaker 1: Smart or like the theory goes, they're just high on whatever meth. Most likely they're drug addicts. We know that, we know they're using. Most likely they're using while doing this, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in exchange for protection, the fourteen year old girl who led the police there testified in court against Chan. She stated that she witnessed him and one of the other friends, but I didn't have his first name. I need to get consistent with first names. And last names. I'm bad with that. The last name was man Yee. She witnessed them kick Fan in the head at least fifty times at one point, and she in fact even joined in.
Speaker 2: Herself, Oh gosh, okay, because I was going to be like, it's kind of a badass of the day. But no, not at all, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, we haven't done a bad ass of the day for a while. I was thinking about that the other day, have we not. No, it's been like probably a good like eight episodes.
Speaker 2: I would say, the next case, we got to make sure it's a badass.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: She was actually asked in court why she thought the torture continued for so long, and she stated, and I quote, I had a feeling it was for fun. Oh nice, Yeah, these guys are fucking That.
Speaker 2: Is like the weirdest fucked up fun ever.
Speaker 1: That's not even fun.
Speaker 2: No, that's like fun. It's like going bowling or something, or like getting an ice cream can.
Speaker 1: Oh that does sound fun.
Speaker 2: Bowling and ice cream cone? Oh nice?
Speaker 1: Can we go bowling and get ice cream? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Actually, we haven't had fun for a while.
Speaker 1: Well, this is fun, Yeah, this is fun. Getting to look forward to this every week. This is this is.
Speaker 2: This is fun, but I mean like gone on like a fun, like the fair was just here for two weeks and way anyone go?
Speaker 1: Yeah too busy? Okay. So without the young girl whose name has been protected by court due to her age, these three men would have most likely gotten away with this entire situation. It would have been left to rot. They wouldn't have known whose apartment or who was recently there whatever. Right, So, even though they were caught, there was still the issue of proving how Fan died, and without a body, they couldn't say exactly how it happened. Okay, So of course all three men in court denied killing Fan. Of course, of course they were I quickly skipped ahead with this. They were caught relatively fast. It's kind of not important. Police are, like, we're looking for these guys. They found them really quick.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate the fourteen year old at least coming forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do so, so good for her on that doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Little late, but yeah, yeah, little late.
Speaker 1: So during the six week trial of these three men, they did admit to preventing Fan from receiving a lawful burial, which is a criminal charge in Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: They told the court that they had simply they were simply running a brothel with Fan as a mutual agreement, okay. And they said that she was a drug addict and that she died because of a drug overdose. They also said that they disposed of her body the way that they did in fear of what would happen if police found out. Now Chan and why Lung both pled guilty to false imprisonment, while shin Cho denied, and throughout their trial, the three men began to turn on each other and pointing with finger at one another on the torture of Fan while minimizing their own role in that.
Speaker 2: Very interesting. That's kind of like the psychology of that is just so interesting to me.
Speaker 1: They just read it like I didn't really do anything. It was them, And then they said the exact same thing about the other two like it's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So without a definitive cause of death, the jury refused to find them guilty of murder.
Speaker 2: What you're kidding? Nope, is this going to make me angry? Am I going to be angry? Because I finished my boos?
Speaker 1: You finished your booze. There's there's justice, but there's a potential for them to be able little early.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Instead, the trio was convicted of manslaughter in December of two thousand, and they were sentenced to the maximum. The judge gave them maximum sentence because they were showing no remorse in in prison the way they handled her body after her death. So they were sentenced to the maximum of life in prison, life in prison with the possibility of parole after just twenty years.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's actually pretty high sentence for manslaughter.
Speaker 1: I thought it is. But also remember it's a criminal offense to not bury the body prevent that burial, right right, So, as of recording this episode, all three men who are responsible for the torture and murder of twenty three year old Fan Man Yee are still behind bars.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. I literally was like glaring at you. Do not say that they're out. Do not say that they're out.
Speaker 1: However, just keep in mind they were sentenced in two thousand with the possibility of parole after twenty years, so they could be applying for their parole right now.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: They most likely are.
Speaker 2: Probably Yeah, it's actually like I mean it's twenty twenty one, where an't they out? Then hopefully there are little assholes and in jail, yeah, and don't get to like get out earlier, getler, have to stay like a full set.
Speaker 1: I really hope all three of them get life in prison, they don't make parole.
Speaker 2: Legitimately get life.
Speaker 1: Legitimately get life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, because it's absolutely disgusting. But then the fact like that I find even more disgusting is just like a that it was like for fun and having no remorse.
Speaker 1: No remorse at all.
Speaker 2: They didn't care, Like how can you do that to someone and not feel bad? Like if I did that to an aunt, I would feel bad.
Speaker 1: Not okay, not even someone do that and not even care. Three individuals do that and not even care. Yeah, but then I mean you look at Junco where she had how many peoples?
Speaker 2: So well? Yeah, and there would have been if if at the beginning, if they did kind of treat her like it was like a brothel or whatever, there could have been men, but then a lot more men. But then maybe they wouldn't have thought it was anything bad either, because she wasn't beaten and stuff.
Speaker 1: See, now I do want to point out that most coverage of this story that I found, most people don't talk about her going into being pimped out at the beginning of her imprisonment. They just go straight into the torture. Any articles I've read, documentaries, they don't really talk about the potential of her being pimped out at the time, though that was the plan. They always talk about that. But in the court case, Chan does say that they were running a brothel. He had intentions of doing that to her. So for all we know, they could have either A started pimping her out and then began beating her after however long, or B just started beating her right off the bat. Everyone always jumps to they just started beating her right off the bat.
Speaker 2: They don't know for sure.
Speaker 1: We don't know for sure. You got to consider that she could have been raped several times before the beatings.
Speaker 2: And I wonder what's what clicked If it was just like he was just going to pimp her out or whatever, what click to make it like them start beating.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was. It was well, either one or the other, or a combination of just pure rage and anger at her or drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gross, so gross.
Speaker 1: That's a story of fan Manye, she went through a lot and I hope these guys stay in prison for life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well well done. It was definitely entertaining, I'll give it that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Poor fan and thank you all for listening.
Speaker 1: Make sure you guys stay wicked.