Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Been good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Vera and with me is my Monday guy, Mike Quinn. Hell you, we didn't even know how to identify you today, right, Matt? What do we What do we called Mike paint in the next Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, magic man, nice magic magic, magic, magic can make it happen.
Speaker 4: Man, Just off the trip to Army. Yeah, just got back.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Like I said about an hour and a half ago, I was that it was great. I mean it's great. I was great to watch a game in Mikey Stadium. I mean it's Uh. The Sports Illustrated number of years ago rated that as the number three sporting venue in the United States, behind uh, Augusta National and Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 4: You were just a kid and thinner then I was. I was a little fit.
Speaker 3: Well when I played, I was about the same weight, but it was distributed differently. Let's say that, okay, and I could move, I could move a little bit fast.
Speaker 2: This is a question to both of you. How about the wildcats? That's three weeks in a row. I brought that up and disappointing. That'sappointing.
Speaker 4: What's what's the most?
Speaker 3: Well, give you give me what that means.
Speaker 6: Just I don't even know how to describe it, you know, because you expected them correct it more. No, we all, I think we all, most of us said that they would win or be close.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'm not trying.
Speaker 6: To go back on what I said, but I at first I said they were gonna lose, but then everyone was saying they were gonna win, and I started to change my mom but don't ever do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I stick with your guns. But yeah, I wasn't thinking that they were gonna win. I mean I thought they and they'd keep it close.
Speaker 2: I thought they'd cover b way, use a legitimate they could even cover their wide receivers.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they couldn't. But then they wa use a legitimate team. I mean there's six and oh and they've beaten some they crushed kids to stay this you know, it's it's yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, this isn't a fluke. No, it's not a fluke.
Speaker 2: But at the very least Arizona should be close and should be. There was three and three, and I'm going in you thought they would be maybe four and two at this moment, maybe five and one pro something off like that, because they were supposed to be good, not even close. They're like a lucky three and three, all right. And I said that in my story that had it not been for Nau or U and m sure.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, it could have been, it could have been a lot bisier. But that's one reason why you play those You were, you.
Speaker 2: Were on our thread, Matt, you were, you were pretty vocal or at least text twice.
Speaker 6: What was the most disappointing thing? I want to say? Noah, Noah. And and and the play calling.
Speaker 4: He continues to be a problem.
Speaker 6: I mean, before the season start, I really thought, no, it was a good quarterback. And you know, I'm not gonna go all in on him and you know, put all the blame on him, but man, it's just if McMillan's not there, it's like he doesn't know what to do, you know what I mean. And every quarterback as their security blanket, as we know, but it's like once the team's figured out, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Is he driven to do too much because previously he would not who is known for not making a.
Speaker 6: Mistake exactly, but now he's making a mistakes now was making mistakes.
Speaker 7: Do you blame that on the coaches or.
Speaker 3: I think it's on him. I think it's on him. Well, you to your question, Brendank, he's trying to doan Brennan was asked that and Brendan's you know, he kind of was, uh, he was, I mean a little bit and he said, no, not really.
Speaker 4: I mean he's just, you know, doing things.
Speaker 3: He's got to feel pressure to make it all harter to me, he knows success. I mean he's seen that's the problem. And now he's like sitting there. It's like going, Okay, we've got to you know, we've got to do this. You've got to make this play.
Speaker 2: You know this because you're a teacher and you played ball. If you had success all your life, Guys, what's the one thing you don't want to do is fail? Right, and you do everything you can not to fail. And that's what he's doing. I mean sometimes you you you overcompensated. If that's right, where you I'm not gonna fail And then guess what you do?
Speaker 4: You fail? You fail? Well, you're pushing it.
Speaker 3: And like I said, I think he's I do think he's pressing.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think what they're I think they're trying to turn him into a drop back quarterback. I mean in the pocket quarterback. And I don't think that's his strength. To both of you guys, you see them dropped back. He's dropping back twenty yards. That's an issue too, because he needs I'm saying, we've talked about that, right. I don't know why they don't get him out that last year.
Speaker 4: I remember movid he am I wrong, No, he The.
Speaker 6: Thing is he did do that, but the old line was good enough to give him the time and to you know, there there was a lot of weapons in that office to get the ball out.
Speaker 7: Great.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that Lev said today and we'll have live on Wednesday, I think that he had I think he got rid of the ball on two point five seconds last year, and now he's got three point five, three point two whatever. He's got more time now, which makes you you think.
Speaker 6: I don't think that's more time. I think it's lack of people getting open, or you know, lack of players yeah, okay, that's why you probably got to hold them. I mean when when you when you're getting rid of it in two point five and it's scheme, okay, you're you're sitting there and you're like dropping back and you're going at it. I don't think we're getting a separation right that we had before. I think that Tim Max is getting double triple team. So it's not like, Okay, he's he's he's going to be open. Well that's the case, guys. Then it's not all I know.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 4: I don't okay, more directed exactly.
Speaker 6: And once he started like behind the eight ball, like being for it's down for you, and.
Speaker 2: Then you know, when it gets when it gets to three point four, he's getting crushed. I mean he's getting he's getting crushed when he gets rid of that ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then at him defense is hurt. All of a lot of people are hurt. So that's also not helping.
Speaker 4: But right right, you know, it's just you're you're a fan.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're a fan. How disappointing is it? Well, okay, I mean I think you get a temper a little bit. We are in the Big twelve now we've got we're facing teams that have much better defenses than what we saw in the Pac twelve. I think we got a new coaching staff and a new style and a new offense. So yeah, dude, would it be great if they were six and oh yeah, sure, it'd be great. I mean, we'd all be into it, all be into it. But I don't think it's time to hit the panic button on this thing. And it's not. You know, we're we still get some games ahead of us. I mean we're still not we're not playing great, but and it may not. It may not be this season. So this season we may not try. But I'm tell you it is not time. I mean, we're seeing these things on fire, Brennan. You know, it's like going these people that have you know, s keyboards and phones and can get on Twitter.
Speaker 2: And five bucks in their pocket. Yeah, five bucks in their pocket. They're they're not buying out Brennan's contract. I guarantee that, no, they're not. I just I just you know, you can't. You can't sit there and say, okay, you know it's over. So that's so being a student, a senior student, uh, and a shu doing really well.
Speaker 6: Because that Listen. I mean I'm surprised as he was. I mean, who would have thought they were predicted to win three games? You know the season last Now they're what four and one? I mean I haven't won Yeah, look at that?
Speaker 4: So does that?
Speaker 7: What does that upset me? Not really?
Speaker 6: No, because I got Look, I didn't make the team. So whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you just go to the school, right, I just go if you want to be disappointed. How about Utah? Oh that's yeah, I mean ke going for eight years though. Yeah, I guess guess what I was.
Speaker 6: I was going to text the chat I bet on that night to go over his passing yards. That's what it was, right. It was two fifteen and he got told on he threw a pick for a game. Oh then I lost my money. Don't do it, don't do it. You got to get to college. Still, we got to pay tuition. Yes to this, So I'm trying I'll try to try to make that money.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so I talked to an a guy like you, Mike, but a guy because you're you're a fan, you have nice seats and you give them the school money. I talked to a guy this week this weekend or to a booster. And this is kind of like buyer's remorse. Buyer's remorse because they're giving kids money right here, you do, well, come back blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Now you're not seeing any return. Yes, it's like you've given your.
Speaker 3: Kids and my kids giving them money for college, and you realize they never attended class. They never what happened? You didn't pay it to it. No, I decided to have fun with it.
Speaker 6: It's more like they're attending class, just not passing the class, you know, or.
Speaker 4: Either where did my money go?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, and and all that is legitimate, but the bottom line is that I I do believe it's we got to, you know, look to the future. The money that you're kicking into the kiddie is for the future of what Brennan can do. I think, and I think.
Speaker 4: I think he's got to bring in people that has has fits his style.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, whatever, that's they've already and breaking news when they already have a de commitment from somebody coming in and guess what, they ain't gonna be the first one.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so, I mean, I mean, I do, I do, But you know, you can't go out there and be playing like this and think that you're going to get a lot of commits.
Speaker 4: No, and you get Florida State.
Speaker 2: You get COMMITSD because they're doing well. They like what you're doing. Sure, and I don't know anything that is likable right now.
Speaker 6: I mean, is this what happens to a team when they lose like a lot of starters to the NFL, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you still have enough. I think you still have enough. Here's the sad point. Okay, they get beat forty one to thirty five. Here they get beat to Candisy. You know, twenty eight to thirty one. You think, God, we're just right close. It's not even close.
Speaker 7: It's the way we're losing.
Speaker 4: It's the way you're losing. It's like, what the hell?
Speaker 3: So okay, so think this kind of goes to, uh some things where you're we have we have talented players. I mean we've got got a talented running back, we got a talented receiver. Now six games in, you can assume that, well they played talented before, we've seen talent. The thing that the thing that we're struggling with is the offensive line, right, I mean, we're just the offensive line is is struggling this year. We lost a lot of people from from You don't have to agree with it. I think we have to agree with it.
Speaker 4: We got talent.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I know my name is not on the top of the show, but you still can't agree with me.
Speaker 2: It's like it's not all agree with the boss. It's not a great radio but you okay the offensive line. But there's more to it than that.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, I say it's coaching, all.
Speaker 4: Right, there's something to that. I really do it. I don't. I don't know Jay.
Speaker 2: In fact, I asked Jay to call in at about the four to ten mark today he had a press conference. He didn't say anything that was like earth shattering. I think Channel four Jenna said, you know, have you established the identity? You know, last last week or two you didn't know what it was, And then Kelly he didn't know what it was. And Kelly kind of David Kelly, our current apart, UH said the same thing. You know after three weeks you didn't know, can you know after six He waited about a second or two, which is a long time, and thinking he didn't know, he does know.
Speaker 4: Six weeks in.
Speaker 7: He still doesn't know.
Speaker 4: You're right. Can you can you say what the identity is? Maybe not good?
Speaker 7: What Deon would have known what's wrong with the team.
Speaker 3: He would have said, well, he would have said, he would have well, yeah, they're totally also, guys, you don't want to lose the team.
Speaker 6: And that's what I'm talking about coaching, Like he's I feel like he's starting to lose the team when when you're used to winning, when you're used to like having the start, yeah, and then it's not going your way. I mean I don't I don't know the players personally. You know, I don't know what's going on in the locker room, but I don't know something that potential.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, do is that get back into buy in? You know, you got to buy into the system, and now they're struggling to buy in even more because it's like it's not going well, it's not going well.
Speaker 4: You're gonna find people that are going to buy into the success.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you buy in like first week, you don't buy in like six weeks, seven weeks.
Speaker 2: Right, Well that's well, that's why I think everybody had hope about the Utah game, right, Okay, Okay, we got it, We got this down.
Speaker 6: Then you realize you does that that good didn't because again we played a backup freshman.
Speaker 3: Is it turns out he's probably the better quarterback right now? Well, yeah, at least he's not hurt. Yeah, I think I think something wrong with going to draw security before he finishes.
Speaker 4: Cop might have.
Speaker 7: I think it's wrong with them his hands, he's not fully ill something because.
Speaker 3: Well he's out again because of his legs or something.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's a trouble trouble in paradise. But there's so many things with the Arizona I think, uh, you know, you win ten, you freak out and can't duplicate it.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time, there's no doubt about it. And you know the difficulty. The difficulty, and we've touched on this full time previously. You would sit there and go, Okay, well, these players are going to be back. He'll be able to develop them, he's going to be able to mold them in his way.
Speaker 4: It is heck.
Speaker 3: I mean in this time of where you can go to the transfer portal and lose half your team, you have people that are decommitting. You know, there are people that are going to be bought out and go nail. You know, it's like, yeah, you're not going to have the same team. I mean it's a new team almost every year.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's there's no question about that. But guess what you got to play with the hand that's dealt you. Yeah, you know, and I used to play my hands bad.
Speaker 3: There's only there's only three teams right now in college football that have that did not take uh, did not enter the transfer who Clemson, Clemson, Army and Navy. They're the only ones that do not have anybody.
Speaker 2: Well and they have consistency and they could be a one off too, Mike, Come on, they're not any good. I mean they're good, but they're not that good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well they're not six and OHO.
Speaker 3: But I mean they're in a conference now, right, so there maybe maybe the fact that in the last three years they've been.
Speaker 4: Able to develop the same same people, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we talked about this in UH, we talked about this in basketball all the time. I mean, if if if the answer was one and done, Kentucky would win the national championship, no one else would play.
Speaker 2: Arizona would be pretty good. Yeah, and that's not the case. No, that's not the case. I mean there's teams Yukon develops their players and uh yeah with some with some transfers and some good players. And guess what a pretty good coach. Pretty good coaching. If there's one thing I've learned in this life is coaching matters.
Speaker 3: Coaching does matter dealing with college college kids. No offense here, Matt, I'm taken. Okay, we got to go.
Speaker 2: We're going to have mister coach Stott right from you know, iron would Ridge there right now. They're five and one, so five and one, six and one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty good season.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to him, and then in the second hour we're going to have.
Speaker 4: Uh Victor Victor yeah.
Speaker 2: Yale, Right, he's a he was pretty adamant on Facebook, former UA football player, so we're going to go some positive with him.
Speaker 4: So let's go and get a hold of Quitchcock.
Speaker 8: Now, are your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 4: Grand that's grand.
Speaker 8: Enter it right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement from the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment, to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson. Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 4: So fasco Yackie try.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 7: We can help you select the perfect wood.
Speaker 10: Type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipments Arizona.
Speaker 11: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 4: Shorts are long sleeve.
Speaker 12: Follows, and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation, or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 4: For over one thousand fun items.
Speaker 12: To choose room come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation Team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity. Have to commitment to Lyndrix syn credit rates and available loan programs of suffict to change the unumice.
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, showtime cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 4: As one of the.
Speaker 12: Leading card shops in the country. We've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 4: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 12: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truys Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score. You can borrow better with cheering them for details or to aye online. Is it Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 15: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Oarmni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at Home Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 8: Streamy Live on the Ihearts Radio WI.
Speaker 4: This is I on the Ball with Steve.
Speaker 8: Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Come welcome back to all them out here on Fox.
Speaker 2: For fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Vera. He's Mike Quinn. Now on the phone. We have coach Stott from Ironwood Ridge. Coach, how are you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Is he on?
Speaker 7: He's on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, coach, can you hear us? Hello?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh is he on the phone? He's got Hello, coach? Can you hear me? Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: You had him on the phone for a second. Yeah, he was there. Okay, let me let's try to reach We'll call him one.
Speaker 3: I have him call it one more time, go, I go ahead and hang up, hang up, and we'll get with them.
Speaker 4: They're having a good season this year. Six and I had six six and one.
Speaker 3: I have six six when they lost to Buena, but then had a big game they beat a Tucson. H uh an interesting, Buyenne has only lost tu soon high So h hello, coach, how are you sorry?
Speaker 2: We lost you? Good to hear for you, Good to hear from you. What's going on in Ironwood Ridge? Six and one?
Speaker 5: Something good going on? We got some great kids, and we got some momentum and we're excited about in the prospects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. What's the Did you anticipate this coming in?
Speaker 5: We did? We We really did. We felt like we could go on defeat it this year. We're a little disappointed that we lost the early hick Cup to Buena, but we think we've got something rolling now.
Speaker 2: Did that what what? What part of the season? Did that happen early or just recently?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was our second game we lost there, and we got down early twenty seven nothing in the first half, came back to me to twenty seven to twenty one going into the fourth quarter. We got one of our best players ejected and just had a myriad of difficulties closing that deal out and ended up losing. But since then we've won five in a row and we feel like Tucson High we just played was a really good team so and they beat Boyna, so we feel like that kind of gave us a little redemption.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congratulations coach about beating Tucson. I guess said that had to have been a little of redemption tour for you after losing.
Speaker 5: To winning it really was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I get a question for you. You guys are scoring some points and obviously playing some defense and doing really really well, and you've got No Gallas coming up here, which seemingly would be a pretty good game for you. Guys, how do you keep these kids focused? I mean, it's hard to know off to do that in the NFL, and it's almost impossible to do it in college. How do you do that in high school?
Speaker 5: You know, the kids have real firm grasp of what we're trying to accomplish. They set goals. Last year, two years ago. I don't know if you remember, we were one and nine, and last year we went eight and three, made the playoffs and won the region. And making that big turnaround took a huge investment of time and energy into the weights, and the kids really put their focus on getting better. And this year they wanted to. They want to, they want to go all the way, and so they worked really hard in the offseason so they don't really lose focus. We have a bye week this week and then they'll Gallas next week and the kids, the kids are out there still running hard lifting. We lift off every day of the week in the season, even on game days we lift weights.
Speaker 16: Kids are really serious.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're good, So did the did the loss? Kind of maybe recalibrate you guys and maybe wake you guys up and say, okay, or may not be as good as we thought. We would be, but that helps with with moving forward absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think you know, unbroken success is fun, but it doesn't always teach you the most, you know, so when you get a get a bump on the on the way, it does tend you to make you refocus and and and realize you've got to get better. And that was good for us.
Speaker 3: So so uh that you're right, yeah, So so you talk about coming back after an unexpected loss like that and uh and stand focused. You must have some pretty uh, pretty good senior leaders on that team. Who's uh, that's who's you're standing out for you in that category.
Speaker 5: Well, we've got David Boba at number one. He's a team captain and he's a third year starter for us. Just recently he moved from tight end to a left tackle because our left tackle went down with a knee injury. And he's also a starter at defensive end. But he committed recently to Colorad of School of Minds. He's he wants to be an engineer. He's got a four point five g PA with all AP courses and stuff. Just a great kid, families from and he's just been a great leader for US, great player, great person. And then we have also Matthew Kroner, who is leading the state of Arizona and receiving yards and he's got eight hundred and twenty nine yards on forty five catches and nine touchdowns. And he's he's also a three year starter and also as an offer to Colorado School of Mines. Believe it or not, he's got four or five D two offers. He's been really good. He's a fast kid and he goes both ways for us as safety and a receiver. And then we also have Matthew Kroner, I mean not matth Coroner, is that we also have Grant Dueling out of his sidekick, who really has done a great job for us. And he's also plays receiver and corner. He's a lockdown corner. This last game he had one hundred yards receiving, two touchdowns receiving and then two inner exceptions. He had a block kick and he recovered an on site kick and multiple tackles. He's just he's a great player. He's also he's committed to Colorido School of Mind, so we had three kids that are probably going to go there.
Speaker 4: That's a great school coach. I mean, that's a.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that that's a that's a that's a destination school for engineer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well they're also football great school they are. The last two years they took second in the nation in the playoffs and they were fourteen to one last year. So we feel really proud that they want our kids and that they offered all three of them and that that's really really been big. And we've got a lot of other kids contributing. Our quarterback is a young guy, but he's just a junior, but he's been a really good, good player for us and a good leader to His name is Jamie Martinez.
Speaker 2: So so coach, we'll dale stopped the Iowood Ridge football head coach?
Speaker 4: You have him been there too long?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Not too long? When you profess third year?
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, So when you took the job, I think you were you were somewhere else, Phoenix or somewhere. No, I was in Utah, Utah Okay, yeah, George st George right sat George. Yeah, Yeah, So when you took the job, and I've seen iron Woodrid it's not too far from my place. So they've had a lot of the success and then they haven't. Then they have when you took the job. What did you see The potential was, Well, I knew.
Speaker 16: That in the first year was going to.
Speaker 5: Be rough because they had no one returning from that class. They had some disruption in the coaching ranks, and and the kids, you know, had kind of rebelled and and had transferred a bunch from the transferred out. And there was one returning varsity player and he wasn't a starter. That was one varsity player. The JV team had gone winless and didn't even score a touchdown, so it was it was bare bones. But I knew the history of the school, I know the demographics, and I felt like they you know, I went to Amphi High School millions ago, fifty years ago, and I knew that that district was somewhat a district that really supported athletics. So I felt like it could be a diamond in the rough. I know in the past has been really good, and I felt like he had great potential.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, you're talking about five fifty years ago. I'm sure you're exaggerating just that here. But you didn't play or play for coach Freedy, right, You played for Roper before him?
Speaker 5: Loper, Yes, Loper and Jerry Loper and Jake rowd In fact, I just had lunch with Jim Kron, our quarterback, and it has next year it will be fifty years that we won the state championship.
Speaker 16: So nineteen seventy and then Loper finished, that was his last year, and then Freedley came and when we graduated.
Speaker 2: So, wow, what did you take away from coach Loper? I mean, you've had probably a lot of great coaches to follow. What did you learn back then and how do you do it now?
Speaker 5: You know, he is very old school, very somber, quiet, solid, silent, strong type offensive lineman, put great emphasis on old line play and lifting weights and I follow that in many ways. But also the defensive coordinator was a guy by the name of Jake Rowden who'd been defensive coordinator at Arizona in fact in Kansas State, and he was a big influence on all of this as well. And yeah, I learned a lot from them, and really their leadership and their example made me want to be a coach.
Speaker 16: And I took kind of a roundabout way.
Speaker 5: To get there. I went to medical school and started coaching while I was in medical school, and then I've been coaching.
Speaker 16: You know, since then, so it's spent a lot of years.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, Wait a second, you're you're med school graduate and then you're coaching football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm an antistysologist, board certified and retired.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I was gonna say, your parents are were very happy for you, were very disappointed in you being a coach.
Speaker 5: I did both for a long time.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm grateful to be able to just focus on this. I coached pro football in Italy for a year after I retired and did.
Speaker 16: Some other things. So it's been fun.
Speaker 5: Getting back to the high school game. And I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: So it was probably your intention or had been for a while, that you wanted to come back home after going to Utah or wherever.
Speaker 5: Yes, I went to you know, I grew up here and went to med school and college here and then practiced in California for ten years and then Utah for twenty five, and so it was good, good to come home. I've got grandkids here and daughter here, and so it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice, nice, And now you're really finding some great success. So you say you have no gallas in two weeks, right or ten days whatever, it's gonna get right a week from right, okay, and everyone's healthy, good to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, healthy. We've got one out with a concussion, but you should be back. And other than that, we're pretty healthy. We lost the tackle and way in the game, like you say, I left tackle. We hope to have him back by the playoffs and then we should be right at near one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Great, well, gonna keep an eye on how you guys are doing the rest of the way. Probably if you get to the playoffs, maybe talk to you again.
Speaker 4: Enjoy your ride here.
Speaker 5: Thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You're very, very excited for your coach. You're definitely uh, you're definitely doing some good things up there. Yeah, yeah, thanks coach.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right. That's Dale Scott. Yeah, Dale Stott from Iowood Ridge. Very success six and one of the buy office weekend. And then come back against the Gallas a week later. Okay, let's take a break, Matt and come back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 18: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial dad available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance.
Speaker 3: With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Note Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 7: Ladies.
Speaker 19: Have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour? The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us. This fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebel Poker dot com.
Speaker 8: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: They welcome back to I on the Ball Here all Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 4: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 2: In with me today is Mike Quinn and Matt. It's Matt running the board.
Speaker 4: Doing well.
Speaker 2: Matt, thank you. This is only your second time. I don't want to jinx you though.
Speaker 7: It's okay.
Speaker 4: I'll praise you after you get today.
Speaker 7: Let's let's get the show over with.
Speaker 2: I want you to fumble midway on the on the red zone. That's a problem too every soon want to can't get again the red zones kind of holy crap. And that quarter pass, that quarter pass if you if you can't run the ball really well, the red zone gets really tough, right, right.
Speaker 4: Right, it's not good a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we can take your calls now five to two oh four one six seventy four forty five two oh four one six seventy four forty You can give us a call and you A lot of people said they text over the weekend. They texted me, they say, I'm gonna pull in and my two cents worth. Well, now's your time to get that two cents worth because there's a lot of unhappy people. Yeah, let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, Collin, let's uh, let's listen to people's opinion outside of their typewriter.
Speaker 4: You know, right, so is not just right? No, no, have a voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, my name is uh Schenectity like that first time caller. Yeah yeah, yeah, you know whatever, Yeah, there you go, yeah, something like that. But you see it on Twitter, Zuckenberg and all these people. What the hell are they thinking when they made these things.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know your If you don't like what I say too, I don't blame you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, it's it's crazy what the things they're saying.
Speaker 3: People are saying, yeah, I know that's saying about it.
Speaker 4: It's like you're not.
Speaker 7: You're not trying not to leave any hay comments on people's.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, you're not. You're not either. You're you're on Twitter, You're on I'm on Twitter. I mostly just lurk. Yeah, you like my stuff, it's there. I follow it for you, for for all yours, all your bad takes. It's like, yeah, my bad takes are my game stories. And that's pretty much for both of you guys, because you guys are you know, one's a students a fan.
Speaker 4: Does last year seem so far away? It does?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know you said there and see you know, the winning uh uh solves everything? I mean, I mean you get you get so excited, you don't mind the heat. I mean, everything is going great.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: When when you start losing, it's like, you know, everyone starts pointing figures.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, Brennan talked about today. You know, last year we were three and three at this time and then they took off. There's that chance to do it again.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I'm not seeing our I'm not seeing us take it on.
Speaker 4: Well that's the thing. Last year there were no expectations. Yeah, and they did it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could couldn't well, we can hear you now.
Speaker 2: Who's this Okay, this is Brian, Brian, Brian, thanks for calling in. Hadn't heard you for a while. What did you feel on Saturday?
Speaker 20: Luckily I went to the baseball game, which one had a scrimmage, and that was eleven o'clock in the morning, and so I was the game started at one, so I was able to uh listen to it when I was at the baseball game. I didn't rush home.
Speaker 16: To finish watching the game.
Speaker 20: I can tell you that, do you.
Speaker 16: I did record it.
Speaker 20: And I watched it later, but very very disappointing. I mean, there's there's not just one problem.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of problems.
Speaker 3: Totally agree with you giving me your top three.
Speaker 16: They have no discipline this this team.
Speaker 20: Okay, I have no idea if it's a coaching problem or whatever. They they just shoot themselves and the foot with stupid penalties constantly. And I don't know if I don't know if afita Is is not on the same page as Brennan, you know, like what your what are your people say that earlier? That offensive line is not helping him out of all no, but also at the same time he's making terrible decisions at the same time, right, you know.
Speaker 5: He just one.
Speaker 16: I didn't understand the.
Speaker 20: One play when they do the interception on the goal line. I didn't understand why you threw the ball. I'm sitting there going you're moving the ball down the field real well, just keep moving the ball down the field.
Speaker 2: Right, that was an interception where you cut it at the two or something like that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yes, yes, again, I didn't understand, you know, because it was the same thing happened in the Texas that game.
Speaker 20: Yea, you know, we moved the ball down the field, then all of a sudden, we're just throwing thirty forty yard passes to try to get a touchdown and instead of just keep.
Speaker 4: Moving the ball down the field. Okay, I asked you for three. I don't you gave me two. We don't want to go the third one. But let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: Do you have hope that they'll get this thing right before the season's over?
Speaker 20: In a no, because only for the fact that you know they haven't shown improvement at least if you start out bad and you hope you get better each game as you go along. Okay, the Utah game that was fantastic, But the Texas Tech game was terrible only for the fact the offense. And I'm gonna play calling the offense. I don't understand why we don't throw the ball in the middle more. I still haven't figured that part. Everything we throw is either deeper.
Speaker 16: On the sidelines and it's just difficult to watch.
Speaker 3: And and what gave you? What time did you get home? Did you get home before the game ended?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: So you did you watch the rest of it and then replayed it? Or what I'm going to say this, are you a glutton for punishment knowing that what you were going to see was not going to make you happy?
Speaker 20: Obviously there was nothing on TV that.
Speaker 4: Coming out right away? This WA's this horror movie again?
Speaker 16: No, no, I I can only see hocus focus somebody times.
Speaker 3: Well, so, Brian, you mentioned that the offensive line was struggling and that Fafiita was making bad decisions.
Speaker 4: So those things go hand in hand.
Speaker 16: Yes, yes they do.
Speaker 20: But you know, my my concern is what these teams have done to keep Faffita from running around a lot, you know, and we have.
Speaker 16: Not figured out how to solve that problems ourselves. So I look at that as.
Speaker 20: A coaching coaching problem. I mean, you know, they keep.
Speaker 16: Him in in the pocket as much as they can because they know he can't see over anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been saying ask a couple times. Steve still doesn't listen to me, but I keep saying it. They got to get him moving out, They got to they got to move him around, right, I agree with him.
Speaker 18: You got to love him quicker.
Speaker 20: You know, they got to move him quicker because what he does, he drops back, is ten fifteen yards and all of a sudden and our receivers aren't getting open or he can't see him. I don't know which one did. But it's just hard. It's just hard to watch. And I know that, you know, Colorado's coming in here and they should have won their game over the weekend. Yeah, but uh, that's that's gonna be That's gonna be a difficult game, very difficult, right.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: We don't talk about gambling much anymore, thank god, because my partner is gone. But are you still shocked that the Ariz almost a three and a half point paper?
Speaker 5: Very shocked?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too, very shocked me too.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, you know that.
Speaker 20: That Colorado game they should have beaten in Kansas State. You know, a couple of dumb plays at the end, and they could have won. They could have won this over the weekend. They could they had a chance.
Speaker 5: Yeah they did, and.
Speaker 20: I I just can't see, you know. And Colorado has played very good football for most of their games, where Arizona has not played very good football. I mean even in.
Speaker 16: The even in the NAU game, they.
Speaker 4: Didn't look real good.
Speaker 3: I mean, what game outside of the Utah game did they look good. They didn't look that great against New Mexico.
Speaker 20: They only look the.
Speaker 16: Only look good in the second half of the New Mexico game.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's one half they've.
Speaker 16: Played one half better than no halves.
Speaker 3: There were some times that they looked pretty decent against Texas Tech. Now there were times that they didn't, which cost us. But you know, they have some flashes of really third order I think that they did well twelve halves, right, twelve halves.
Speaker 20: Halves in the Texas In the Texas Tech game, they did very well when they were just moving the ball down the field and not taking the chances of throwing at thirty or forty yard pass. Yeah, you know, I mean We're not going to score like we did last year. Just move the ball down the field and then get our points when we can and keep the defense off the field as much as we can.
Speaker 2: Well, Brian, I don't say this very often, but hanging there, hanging there, Good luck with that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 20: You know, I'm just hoping we did. We can become Bowl eligible. Now I'm starting to worry about that now.
Speaker 3: Right right, Well, when you go back to New Mexico Bowl or something like that, who knows.
Speaker 20: Oh, some some crabby balls we can.
Speaker 3: Get in, Brian, and you want a ball, And now you're talking about crappy balls. Okay, we make you happy.
Speaker 20: Well after about ten up, that's about all they are.
Speaker 4: That's about right. Yay, thank you man, Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 5: Okay, come back, keep.
Speaker 2: That phone handy call anytime we get some lines open five to oh four one, six, seventy four forty we have time. We have about ten minutes. He's right, I mean, he's listened to you. The offensive line, and no one didn't have a problem with going dropping back fifteen ten yards whatever it looks like fifteen it's probably only seven or eight. But what is he doing? And then he's got to make up that yardage for right.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I mean he you know, he can throw the ball that way, but there's been a couple of times where you know, he'll drop back ten fifteen yards and then the rush will get in on him and he takes a huge sack and.
Speaker 2: They're already on top of him and the trajectory of the ball has to kind of float. They talked about that that that interception on the corner that he said at the job that ball was like a slow curveball or a slow floater and the guy just jumped in and took it overthrow. It was not it was not a dartish because he's going back so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I'm not a quarterback, but yeah, we know what I see. Yeah, it looks like he was finding gaps. Yeah, but he's finding gaps and you know throw. Yeah, now it looks like he's trying to throwing crafty. I mean, you have to know or they have to know what they have, and it doesn't look like they're they know what they have. Yeah, that's the thing about it. I mean you just wonder if it's like going oh no, no. Brennan is used to this type of quarterback to play this type of way, and if he's not adjusting to the type of quarterback that he has, because he's got a talent.
Speaker 2: And so let me let me ask you. I don't even know who the second guy is. I don't even have a game, don't get do you? Do you remove him because he's played that badly just to give him?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, because you're what you're afraid of losing him, or you're yeah, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Look that he's got talent, he is really good. You are not gonna sit there and say, okay, well you've had a couple of bad games, are you.
Speaker 4: On a couple of interceptions? He's still your best option.
Speaker 3: I cannot imagine that that the guy behind him unless he's arch Manning. I mean if if, if, if arch Manning was behind him. Yeah, they're being quarterback conference.
Speaker 2: Well last year, last year, at this time when they play Stafford, you're thinking, oh, no, you want to throw him in there right away and guess what happened.
Speaker 4: Magic happened. It did, it did. But I'm not sure that, like you said, hey, you're on the air and eye on the ball. Who's this? Oh you're on the air. Maybe not that.
Speaker 2: I think we prettymature said, what is there someone there that he was there? Okay, don hang on, we'll try to get you on.
Speaker 5: Hellop.
Speaker 4: Okay, well we'll keep trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you would I understand that I probably wouldn't do that either because what.
Speaker 4: Do I know. But but at some point you might have to.
Speaker 3: I don't think that, you know, last year, for Feta stepped in because the other guy who don't remember what it is was injured. But uh, it wasn't. I mean he stayed in because he was playing well. But give us a callback. Don give us a callback. Yeah, I don't think you know, it's it's just like terrible, Like like Brian said, there's a lot of a lot of things and it starts at the top. Oh yeah, there's my whole thing. And Jay might call him a four ten today, Uh there's God.
Speaker 4: And I don't even know.
Speaker 3: But I've said this coaching matters, and he's got no emotion, he's got he's just a good dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah you could. Football coaches don't have to be good dudes.
Speaker 3: No, But I mean it's you can't really sit there and go, oh, listen, you know what I need. I need a I need a coach that's gonna yell at people. No, no, you know, I need a coach that shows emotion, that cries on the sidelines. You know, I need a I need a Bear Bryant screaming and yelling and punching playing. Well.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, I'm hearing from my people that I talked to that golf clap is wearing thin. The golf clap is wearing thin because they're showing at three and three and not showing much.
Speaker 4: Yes they are.
Speaker 3: There are three and three in this guy's first year, in our first year in the Big twelve. I think it's a little you've been it's a little premature to sit there and go, hey, let's get rid of the golf clap. You know you need to No, No, that's hired him because he's successful. That's I mean, I use that lightly, but you know what I'm saying, I do. And then the lay stuff. I'm not frustrated that you you say, I'm fraid, I guess I'm frustrated at the whole constant. You know, fire fire, Brennan Crown. It's like going, come on, we're not.
Speaker 2: Doing the problem with that, and we joked about at the beginning and joked about it. Told the truth the people it's coming from people that either don't buy tickets, don't have money invested in the program, but they have it.
Speaker 4: They're emotionally involved.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 3: What if you're emotionally involved, you can always get the hell off the motion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the motion training. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I doubt if right now there's people walking into the a D's office and saying, here's my check book, get rid of Brennet. Yes, I mean they're not doing that. Okay, they're you know, they're they're frustrated. They'd like to win, absolutely, but I don't think that they're they're not screaming for for him. And until they do, you're not going to get You're not going to get anybody. Uh to on the fire Brennan train in the administration. Jim's calling, that's what That's what we're saying. Jim's calling. He's called twice. We've got a little time. Let me give you this.
Speaker 2: Uh So the weekend, I saw I saw Arizona play, I saw Washington play, I saw Obama play.
Speaker 4: Imagine you believe in the Peter principal. No, sure, and it happens in coaching all the time.
Speaker 2: It happens all the time. So look at this chain of reaction. Uh, Alabama gets their guy in Washington, sets the stage for Fish to go to Washington, and it sets the stage Jim, are you there.
Speaker 4: Some no, no, what's going on? Just can't get them miney? Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So and then s that's the states for Brennan to come here, and then the new coach will go to San Jose State. I mean, this domino thing that's happened, and all of them, well maybe I'm not sure about Santa s State, but the the Peter principals kind of caught on them.
Speaker 4: Is he gonna survive it? Ballad already pissed their.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no, no, no there there there are people that are calling for his head already.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But okay, see here's another situation where it's like going, Okay, you got a new guy coming in, you have a new administration, you have a new style here, and you know there any all these different places, you have a new style. Very rarely do you have somebody that walks in uh and it's like all of a sudden like they're really good, uh, or even stay that way. I mean just jumping in. I mean, how many how many years have been looking for a replacement for John Wooden?
Speaker 4: I mean, and how did that go?
Speaker 5: Yeah like that?
Speaker 3: No, No, but okay, Alabama is more stable because Greg's been there for a while.
Speaker 2: Whether he lasts long do not know. Here's the problem. Okay, Washington their a d highed Jed and he's gone. He was like two months there and he's gone. He went to Nebraska or somewhere on. And then Desiree didn't hire Brennan and he did.
Speaker 4: He's gone.
Speaker 2: And now it's Desiree's issue and the president, the former president that we had all last week, well because it was kind of like those two and picking Brennan because he was the easy choice, and you know it would have been who would have thought it wouldn't work?
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, again, I think we're giving up on the experiment pretty pretty much.
Speaker 4: No, no yet, Well, I mean it's not.
Speaker 3: Yes, he didn't come in here and suddenly you know we were undefeated, you know, in the Big twelve. So with with a lesser, lesser talented team. Now, I'm I'm all forgiving him an opportunity. If we're two or three years into this and we're like still running no offense on this and we're not making any progress. Okay, now's the time to assess. Sure, but no one's you know, you can't go in there and says no, no, no, no. I'm not saying that.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's kind of strange or not strange that this has happened, right one guy.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's I think it's definitely telling the fact that you've got these guys at these other universities that are walking in and suddenly they're they're not as successful. Everyone's like, you know in Alabama, you know, I got buddies of mine in Alabama. Right now, it's like going, we need to bring Saban back. I'm like, Saban is not coming because we're.
Speaker 2: One minute Okay, we got one minute, Jim, sorry, give us a call. On the other side, maybe three forty ish. H he's working the phones, Stara, waiting for calls. He just it's just not answering for whatever reason. Good first hour guys, Thank you, Matt. Yeah, we're gonna get to you with breaking news right at four o'clock and then we're gonna have uh Victor Victor Yates, Yates a former u U, a football player, a guy who was positive all weekend, telling you I'm excited to s Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was getting on people on Twitter all weekend, and then we're gonna have open lines again.
Speaker 4: On the other side,