Speaker 1: Oh you he is, folks, it's showtime.
Speaker 2: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater.
Speaker 2: They are cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the protection booth.
Speaker 4: Everyone pretend podcasting isn't.
Speaker 5: Boring done at all.
Speaker 4: It is nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: You are all one seen.
Speaker 4: Hunting is the national sport.
Speaker 5: People on the prey.
Speaker 6: The world is ruled by a strict regime. They're going to make obedient little citizens out of us.
Speaker 4: Who are society?
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 6: Step on the line and they take it to the funny farm.
Speaker 2: You could die laughing.
Speaker 7: All you have to do is lead my guests on a chase for one day, little sport.
Speaker 4: You could kiss, not necessarily, you might survive.
Speaker 1: Come on, you big piece of shit.
Speaker 4: You come me the one you can't break. I'm what you've been afraid of all your life.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid of nothing.
Speaker 4: You're afraid of failing.
Speaker 1: Now a little flower.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm gonna taste your honey.
Speaker 8: It is less the size of one's gun that comes or the school with which it's used.
Speaker 7: Don't you kill him, Jennifer, He's my target. This is snatcha The hunt is over, Shoot on sight, Shoot to kill?
Speaker 5: Where let me go here?
Speaker 1: No way right?
Speaker 9: When you don't leave me here, you pray.
Speaker 4: Gravely wait, but you can't.
Speaker 6: The hunters and the hunted, the quick and the dead. Oh shoot, who will survive?
Speaker 1: The blood and thunder Shocker of the year.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Projection Booth. I'm your host, Mike White jew me once again as mister Andrew Netti.
Speaker 1: Welcome, I thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 3: Also back in the booth is miss Heather Drain Hella, Hella. We continue our Shctober coverage with a Patreon request from Ellis Kish. Turkey Shoot atleased in nineteen eighty two. The film was written and directed by Brian Trenchard Smith and stars Steve rails Back and Olivia Hussey. Has two victims of a totalitarian government in the distant year of nineteen ninety five. They are taken to a prison camp where they're tortured and eventually made to participate in the brutal Turkey shoot of the Taitle. It's a battle royale with cheese. We will be ruining this film in so far as it can be ruined, So if you don't want Turkey Shoots, spoiled for you, turn off this podcast and walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Andrew as a resident Ozzie. When was the first time you saw Turkey Shoot? And what did you think, sir?
Speaker 1: Would have been the nineteen nineties, sometime sometime in the nineteen nineties. I liked it. I've al liked it. I think I might have seen it once since and then it's when I watched it a couple of times for this podcast. I like it from just I like this till I really like this. I think it's got a great cast. It's apparently one of the most disreputable Australian exploitation films ever made, which is saying something, but it does what it does, and it does it well, and it does it without fuss. Yeah, I just really enjoyed it. I think i've since the last time I saw I've had probably a decade of always claptrap about elevated horror, and so it was just great to see something that was just in no way, shape or form anything elevated at all. It was just a solid genre exploitation of film that does what it does really well.
Speaker 3: And Heather, how about yourself.
Speaker 5: I adore this movie like this, and this is one of those movies like the first watch the twenty minute mark, you're like, that's okay, this is good, all right, thirty minute you're like this is good. But at the time you get to the climax, you're like levitating because it's oh my god. It's every sort of sweet spot that one can have its. Do you love heads exploding? Yes? Do you love goat eyed freaks doing cno, professional wrestling movies of people? Yes? And yes? Do you do you like anti fascist commentary? Absolutely? Steve railsback kicking, ask check flease. This movie has it all. The only thing it's missing is David Argue. And I say that because I love David Argue, but he also he worked with Brian Tridgrid Smith before another films, most famously BMX Bandits. But this film is a delight. I could not wait when you had it on the list and I got the thumbs up to be on it, especially Andrew, I was like, yes, this is a gift.
Speaker 3: I am so glad you guys are on this episode because I am not a big fan of this movie so far. I'm hoping that through this conversation, I will become more of one because to your point, Heather, it's got so many things that I love. It's got Roger Ward, it's got this kind of women in prison feel. It's a people hunting people movie. I love people hunting people movies. You can read all about that in the new book Revolution in thirty five Millimeter, which was partially written and edited by our guest here, Andrewnetti. So yeah, I love all those things. But yeah, as soon as the Wolfman shows up in this movie, I just lose my shit because I'm just like, what is happening? What is going on in this movie?
Speaker 5: Especially but close up, because you get those close up of those he's got coat eyes, and I love how they're like, oh, this is a freak. I don't think what kind of genetic tas I'm laving because it's like which imputation? Okay, you could be hair suit. That's a real life thing where there are people that were promoted as wolf people but they weren't actually wolf people. No, this guy's got fans, he's got goat eyes. He eats body, but it's he can body slam. It's I know it's fasting. I'm definitely looking for to traveling this because I think I understand. But for me, I was like, man, this is checking off so many because you do have political commentary in there too. By and to your point, Andrew, it doesn't get too lost in the message. It never quite loses sight also of being like, yeah, we're going to have some gore and severed body parts, and there's we got equal opportunity, nudity, which I'm a huge fan of. We got penises, we got tades. It's gray.
Speaker 1: I think alf is fantastic. I mean, that's actually a guy called Steve Rackman and he was known as Steve's the Crusher Rackman. He was an Australian wrestler and he played the heavy in so many films and he's great. And I think to your point, to both your points, it starts off as a really solid people in prison prison film with all the tropes of the prison film, and then as soon as they're released into the wild for the Turkey shoot, it just goes completely batschit crazy and it doesn't stop. And you know, to quote Ron Burgundy, that escalated quickly, and it keeps, it keeps escalating and just keeps going. It doesn't stop I mean, it's I just I love that about it. I just loved the why. It just didn't care for every already its pretensions, and it didn't it didn't let its its budgetary limitations stop it. It just the narrative just kept going and going going, And then after the Turkey Shoot it turns into this war film where there's just this there's this attack on the prison, and then it goes it's up levels again. It's it's astounding.
Speaker 3: I think it's just the pacing of it sometimes gets to me. I think it's around like maybe about the twenty five thirty minute mark when they start to introduce the idea of the Turkey shoot, because they don't really have that at the beginning. And I love the beginning of this movie, especially because it starts off with stuff pulled from the headlines kind of thing and just all this or unrest, and then you've got these scenes of these people being arrested and thrown in the back of this police fan, and then you get their flashbacks to see how they got there, which I know really helped condense the script quite a bit and also saved a lot of money as far as wait that they set things up because to your point, Andrew, the budget to this was just slashed so much before they started shooting, and Trenchard Smith had to work like a devil to come up with ways to save that money, avoid you know, the cost that he was going to incur, and suddenly just shift on a dime. I mean, that's what great filmmaking is all about, is solving those problems and saying, Okay, I can still make this work. And he does make it work. And I don't have any problems with the actual with the acting, with the sets, with the special effects, any of that stuff. I think it's just that pacing right around, like that thirty to forty minute mark, where you're like, Okay, here's this new idea we're going to have. You know, why is it that Thatcher doesn't have overcrowding in his prisons? Oh well, you have something set up to take care of that, don't you. And they kind of give you that little thing at the beginning to talk about that, and then they start to enter these and I don't know if these are just rich assholes that come onto the camp and participate in this Turkey shoot hunt, but I like the introduce introduction of them. But it just feels like there's a little bit too long before the actual Turkey shoot starts, and so it's right around the forty minute mark, and I'm just like, no, get to that a little quicker, like twenty minutes, thirty minutes max.
Speaker 1: There are a bunch of rich, weird, queer assholes and that's that's the And that's the other thing I loved about this film. Watching it now, you realize, oh, so much of Australian culture was so queer and we just didn't have the language to sort of analyze it. You know, this Tito and Jennifer are both coded completely queer. You know, they're totally sadistic. All the double on tenders about the guns and the weapons, that astoundingly phallic chest set that Thatcher and null Fario's character are playing when they first start talking about the talking about the you know a lot about the prison. I mean, I just I loved all of that. And it takes time, and of course that that's not costing any money, is it. Getting getting all these sort of weirdos to sort of like, you know, do double on taundres about various self designed weapons and things like that.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love them. Yeah, Michael Petrovitch is Tito and what's the woman's name.
Speaker 1: Carmen Duncan. Yes, Carmen Duncan as the sadistic lesbian, the huntress. You know, I'm going to make you feel like you've never felt before.
Speaker 3: She reminds me a lot of barber steel from caged heat.
Speaker 5: She very much has that kind of energy. If this was a an al Adminson Berry see I'm sureman or something like that, it would be more busty, it'd be more day in Thoring, or my ideal would have been Chestey Morgan. Can you imagine? Why was there ever a woman in prison of every baby Chestey Morgan? Anyway, No, and with the deepest v cuts, she's someone was like full boomin when we first meet her, and you get really she's just like the sort of very decadent bisexual. She is very flirty with Bacher and she makes some kind of reference as to you have the feel that maybe they've had a thing in the past, and she he probably had what I call him Vanity six nasty gyirl moment where the whole end of the song where she says, wake me when you're done. She was like that with Bacher.
Speaker 1: Somewhere someone has done Turkey Shoot fan fiction about all that stuff. Would they would they explore the sexual lives of the of the hunters in Turkey Shoot.
Speaker 3: There's a line that she says where it sounds like, yeah, she and Thatcher had been together before, but he wasn't able to sexually satisfy her.
Speaker 7: You're a difficult woman to satisfy, Jennifer, as you will know Charles.
Speaker 1: Which is why he became the commander of the camp. The sublem like that if.
Speaker 5: He was in an American camp, he would have like ammer, you'd have the big or the biggest truck where there's huge trucks and it's like a monument to like like a rets all dyfunction giant for a chuck with like double tires.
Speaker 1: But they've done it. They tool around of these weird little June buggets. Oh yes, again, it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yes, all the little vehicles in this, like the little.
Speaker 5: Like a big shovel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the little bulldozer that he drives around in. It just like tools around and I'm just like, that is the cutest little vehicle I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: The same thing as the banana splits.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it's the banana.
Speaker 1: Splits June buggy with the little digger on the front of it, also with the machine gun, and then at one point when he stops, he just picks up a bazooka and starts flying. This guy's got It's what I mean. It just keeps going and going and going.
Speaker 5: I love the bazooka.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 5: Anybody's ever been in like a hunting store, there's some gear there where. It's really is this really a sport? At this point?
Speaker 1: What Lee?
Speaker 5: Why do you need an aka the Hunted Deer?
Speaker 1: Heather? I hope you're not advocating against people's constitutional rights to warn a Bozuka.
Speaker 5: Never. Never, I would never get political on the projection.
Speaker 3: And good thing this movie isn't political either, not at all.
Speaker 5: What did you guys think about Dodge? I want to talk about that character.
Speaker 1: He's the redheaded guy who sort of plays that the lackey. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yes, but he's got those letter called Cosmo McKinley glasses, which is a reference only I would probably make on podcasts from Shock Treatment. He's got the rich O'Brien oak bottled and eating fish guts. You instantly want to see this guy die. He's such a kiss ass. He's so devious. If this was a comedy, he would be played by Rick Mayole.
Speaker 3: I regret when he takes off his glasses because that he almost looks like a normal human being then, even with that crazy red hairdoo that he has. But I'm just like, no, no, keep the glasses on, my friend, because that is your look. You need to own it.
Speaker 5: And he gets his towe eaton.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I know Tarantino's a big fan of this movie. Is he you a fan of the toe eating scene?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Gross, don't ruin this movie for me mine.
Speaker 3: Apparently he's got that whole speech when they're beating up the woman, and he's got that all memorized and repeated that back to Trunchard Smith the first time they met.
Speaker 1: I'm happy for Trenchard Smith that Tarantino's a fan, but we do just need to underline that some people did watch films before quit and Tarantino saw them.
Speaker 3: I'm just hoping that Trunchard Smith wasn't an influence on Tarantino's choice to play that slave keeper in Django Unchained as an Australian. I mean, it feels like it's an osploitation reference, just that horrible accent he's trying to put on.
Speaker 5: Wow, I'm glad. I never saw that.
Speaker 3: You should be glad.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'll just watch the original.
Speaker 1: My least favorite Quentin Tarantino film. Definitely up there with the Hype Light. But anyway, we're digressing now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a race to the bottom for me. Yeah, and I love Steve Rail's back. Having more Steve rails Back in my life is something that I really appreciate. And apparently he was getting so method that when he's in that cage at one point and they're putting weights on there. What's the guard's name?
Speaker 1: Is it the Gus Mercuria character, because yeah.
Speaker 3: Red Red? Yeah, which I kept thinking that Red was Dodge's name, and then Dodge was red but because of the red hair. But yeah, with Red putting all those weights on there, and he's being crushed under this weight inside of this cage, and apparently rails Back really wanted to play that method at first and like, no, no, put real weights on here, put real weights, and then eventually it was just like I can't even breathe. It's like you need to take those those real weights off there. So Steve can actually give a performance things.
Speaker 5: That's crazy Texan. I love Steve Rail's back now he the cast in this was such a delight and no shock. Steve Rail's back is fantastic in everything, and he's one of his guy's even needs in something for fifteen minutes. I love him. And Nico Mastarracus is the wind and I've been I think he's literally in that for fifteen minutes. But Olivia Hussey, it was such a such a delight. Yeah, I think very underrated. Was it Red that kept calling her, oh, my little flower, my little flower. I was like, oh God, I could not wait. Some of these guys. It brings out your your very old testament side where you're like, oh, I can't wait to see this guy get killed.
Speaker 3: I like Gusperkurio a lot as Red, but I kind of wish that Victis had been in this movie in that role instead, because I just think that he plays a present guard the best. And talk about being coded queer, he was scoed queer in so many things, especially those Jack Hill films.
Speaker 1: I mean that was one of the things when I watched it this time, I just thought, this is all all these character actors from my Youth came flooding back, and of course Gus Mercurio was one of those. He was just omni, the omni present, raspy voice of my youth doing ads for sweets, the rating boxing games. It was a big voiceover person in advertising, and he also has a lot of films. He's fantastic. And I just say, and I mean, I said on my letterbox review of Turkey Shoots that had got an extra half starf from me for having Noel Ferrier it who I just love and who play basically played the same character and everything I've ever seen him in, which is that sort of a feat queer coded, you know, upper class kind of person. And he's wonder He's wonderful, He's wonderful of this film. I just love him. Carmen Duncan Linda Stoner, who was in a very famous Australian television She was in a very famous Australian police sort of segel show called cop Shop and she was a sort of a big sex symbol in Australia in the its for obvious reasons. Roger Ward, I mean, yeah, Reckmann as alf It's an absolute smorgasbord of Australian osploitation sort of talent there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's so much the better for that, because all of these guys are bringing so much to these roles and I love just how wild especially I mean Guess Mercurio back to him, he is just playing this to the hilt. And then you get somebody like Thatcher himself. But then you get Michael Craig and he's just kind of, you know, playing it pretty low and slow, close to the best type of thing, and I'm like, okay, that's good, and it just makes those other guards seem even more crazy, like between Guess Mercurio's red and then of course my favorite Roger Ward, and there is ritter every time Ward is on screen, and I love the way that they introduce him with that low angle shot looking up with the sky behind him and just that big fucking mustache looking at the person on the ground. I was just like, oh, this is great. And then when they're making do that recitation of the kind of there I'm a bad person's speech, you know, I'm a deviat speech and him like punching at her and stuff, and then after after a while he just starts like picking her up and throwing her down. There's a lot of wrestling moves in this movie.
Speaker 1: To your point, Heather, that's not that's not Linda Stander though, I think that does that. That's that's what. That's someone else. I can't remember what her name is.
Speaker 5: But oh, that poor little girl. Yeah, she looks like she's fifteen. I don't think she is, but she's so tiny tiny. Yeah and yeah, now to your to your point, Mike, he he was giving me such Ox Baker adjacent energy, and there's I was like, I was like, why didn't we get an exploctation film with those two his brothers. They fight from different continents, they find out that their their brothers, and they fight crime or are probably cause crime to get the ankles they can't. We work in this film is remarkable. It's so beautiful. I think a lot of times when people hear any kind of ploitation, they just assume immediately if they're not really educated on it, especially that all of the values are going to be lesser cinematically, But that, as we know, as hard and jaded the cinema people, that is not the case, because this film is so beautiful to look at at parts, like a lot of the pistons, those great lower camera angles. There's one of as a Jennifer the Evil Huntress, like where she's said it's that's such a great angle. The Brian May soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I love this soundtrack and there's some really great particularly the synth work during like when the Turkey Shoot starts. I thought it was really remarkable and it made me think there's a Russian this is me, I'm sorry, a Russian surf being called the Meso Chups And I don't know if they sampled part of the synth or they're paying tribute to it, but they have a song called Little Princess a Professor Morbius, and I swear to god it sounds like part of that. So I like to think that Turkey Shoot is that inspirational that Russian surface are taking of looks from it. But yeah, this is just and I think that's what I mean with the sweet Spot. It's just like this film really for me, just ticked off so many boxes that I love in cinema. And yeah, some of the some of the tonality is that do you think that kind of Mike, do you think that threw you off? Where it's we do have all of this great like anti this great film that's just anti fascism. See, Ralback is a great activist. We see him doing underground radio. We see him returning to the camp to free the people. He could have just kept going to assure him and Olivia Hussey are are free from these from them, from this totalitarian kind of thing, and instead now he returns to say to free the camp. And it's this great care dirt. But you also do have all this. It's like a men's pulp novel from the fifties on acid, and it's political, but it's like liberal political. But this is like the good kind of people, like, oh, it's going to be like Woodstock liberal. Now this is like angry, we're bombing shit too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this is the Weathermen type of liberal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the yippies, yeah, which is kind of sexy. I thought this Vivie would be a great antidote to all of the really super right wing kind of exploitation villains that the US was making in the early eighties. I would take this any day over reds On No.
Speaker 3: That's why I feel this fits way more into the women in prison stuff, especially those Jack Hill films where it's like these women are being abused and by the end they're going to have their revenge. They're going to escape from there. I mean that I'm trying to remember which one it was of this big bird cage, a big dollhouse where like Pamgreer covers herself in chicken fat that she won't get caught by the guards as she's running out of the camp, and Steff, I'm like, that's what this reminds me a lot of and some of those real inventive things that Jack Hill was doing, as far as like the tower that's on fire falling and then the film burns up for a second. It's like, oh, that's a wonderful thing. And I would say that this is not necessarily as creative, but creative in other ways. And I think there's especially like you're talking about the camera work, and once that Turkey shoot starts, it really doesn't let up. It just goes, goes, goes. And it's really smart to have what four, five five protagonists, I think, because you've got chases going on for all of them.
Speaker 1: I think it is five yeah, it's five yeah, because that guy gets chucked in in the inn.
Speaker 3: The other one, Bill Young is Griff is probably my favorite of these guys. Griff is great because he takes the fight to them, which.
Speaker 5: I really like, and he's so smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then not only that, we've had the Turkey shoots, and then before you know it, they're scrambling jets to bomb the cap where all the prisoners have rebelled, and then he finds another way. I mean, I thought that was I mean, that's just stop footage obviously of af jet fighters, but I thought that was really clever. It's like, right, how do I actually, how do I actually make this film even more batshit crazy than it actually is. I'll have this huge fight where all the prisoners are basically just suddenly suddenly armed and fighting the guards, and I'll have jet fighters, and I'll do it on a timer thing too, so that the jet fighters are coming at the same time. But you've also got those final You've got Olivia Hussey fighting with Carmen Duncan's character with that extraordinary sea which he jabs are in the head, with the exploding arrow in her head, all that head explosion, and then you've got what is one of the one of the most extraordinary deaths in osploitation film stature having his head blown off by the in the of that fire, in the middle of that firefight. It's just so within all that too, just the little things I really appreciated on this watch, the sort of aesthetic of the film, I think, and I think that's that's the trench out Smith's credit. I mean, forty seven is cheap, but it works. I've already spoken about my love for the phallic chest set, which I just think is fantastic. You know, they're all thatcha and what's mellory are wearing those sort of MoU suits. Every bad guy in a dystopian future film in the nineteen seventies and eighties was wearing a sort of moo a MoU suit, a mao jacket, you know that the screen or the screens, the yellow jumpsuits, that that remote controlled machine gun in the camp that you just see every now, and to get the phones that they had, those wonderful sort of phones that they had, the synth downtrack, the June buggies, It's all a great little package.
Speaker 5: Go back to that chest sat how big is that? Thank first I was like, what a weird little goth are God and then he the camera pans, You're like, ship, that's a chest set. Well, I've had a pyramid smaller than that. Chest sat so over the top, and I say, there's just a blissfulness and how over the top of this film goes because it's especially because it does start off so you have some seriouces. We've got like newsreel footage film and then all of a sudden we gotta go get shot.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 5: I collapsed because they got their characters in a paramorray and you love Olivia Hussey and he gets shot in the day and then he burnt the live and you can hear him screaming, I shouldn't laughing. I still like a monster.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I think we know where you're coming from on this.
Speaker 4: We know.
Speaker 1: I mean that chest set is one of the many phallic things in this film. That's that you mentioned. I think, Mike that shot of Roger Ward's character where they're shooting him from below and then it looks like he's holding this giant dildo. That's extraordinary, sort of say, that's that's just before he's gonna Oh no, that's before he beats up that young woman.
Speaker 3: Well, then you get Gus Mercurio getting his franks and beans stuck in that zipper. When Olivia Hause zips up the zipper when his cock is out, I'm just like, oh my god, that's great. And that scream of pain and terror that he's going through is fantastic. Yeah, so much of this movie is how are people going to die? And how can we keep kicking it up every single time? So like Alf the dog Boy, the where I call him a werewolf. I know he's a mutant, but him getting cut in two by that bulldozer I think was absolutely fantastic. I love even just the little thing with Roger Ward getting his hand chopped off and then how the hand is still moving. I'm like, oh, that's pretty nice. I like that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, especially kids, your pans making you realize both hands and there's a shot of the other hand on the rocks and it's twitching a little. It's glorious. It's it's almost you felt when you were a kid and you're watching like early Gore films and you just get that like teenage rush of yeah, oh this is so gnarly. I this this movie kind of like lit that fire for me. In parts I was like, oh, what a fabulous a fag. Oh and the exploding had its multiple exploding the arrow, Oh my god, that was beautiful. That was especially That was such a great karmic retribution too, because it's how how much is it?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 5: It's in a sport when you were using tech, and so it's like each person had a nice little kind of larn with their with their debts. In some cases, I felt I did feel a little bad for the wolf mutant hybrid. He collected that guy get to live.
Speaker 3: You would become their mascot like Scooby Doo. Would you kill Secretary Mallory for a Scooby Stack?
Speaker 5: Oh there's the fan fg with all of this queer coat of tark Rider literally threatens to say he's going to sodomize Steve bressbat.
Speaker 3: That was amazing.
Speaker 10: He was just like, come here, boy, I'm gonna fuck you in the ass. I'm like, what did you just what during the climactic fight of the whole movie. I mean that for me is like the big climax, even though to your point, Andrew, we're still like twenty minutes before the end of the movie, because we have yet to have the air strike.
Speaker 5: That's why they had to have the air strike, because how can you one up all the stuff we've been talking How can you one up mutant dog people being bisected? How can you one up a guy? Which, by the way, do they have any do they have? You said frankin beans? Do they have the beats? Because Steve Rosveick says that the guards are canstrated.
Speaker 3: Oh really, so it's just the frank in there.
Speaker 5: I think it's just the But that was still harder. That's that's a man's a man's wiener getting second a zipper that's not fun. So you're getting all of this unless we just went full of flame for or symphony, you have to get to get the chats and the bombs. That is this the first instance, by the way of an action film of a bad guy threatening sodomy, because it made me think of that amazing scene of Roadhouse where that guy tells Patrick Swayze, I used to fuck guist that you had prison, which really, that's romance. That's a romance you can have sleep with in Seattle.
Speaker 3: Roadhouse is the true romance.
Speaker 5: Absolutely more so than true romance.
Speaker 3: And I like that movie and I'm not sure if a sodomy has been threatened upon our main character before Turkey. Shoot, that would be a really good thing to look up.
Speaker 1: Someone's going to pay, I say on that somewhere.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure that I'm trying to remember the two guys from the Big Combo. It feels like they might have threatened somebody with that at one point.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sure someone's got someone will let us know. That's the gift and the curse of the internet. If you fuck, don't worry, you'll know.
Speaker 1: You'll just get a comment from Couchboy one five eight saying, not only was I angry about the way they talked about guns, but they also got a sodomy aspect wrong.
Speaker 5: It's gonna say neck Beard one nine eight zero. But I think couchboy, that's even. They're very They're very they're very sympotic out Well, we'll.
Speaker 3: Just get complaints as we talk about Thatcher and don't bring up Margaret Thatcher in the political arena of the UK at the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the film, I say it all, and I guess somebody could say that it's a little on the nerves for having here to name Thatcher. But I mean we had the movie where guy gets shot in the dick. It's okay to be a little on the Norse.
Speaker 3: Well, I like that whole Orwellian thing that they have at the beginning with the whole you know, freedom is work and these things, and then how he turns it around and it's just like, disobedience is treason, Treason is a crime. Crime will be punished, and it's like okay, and that they that they call all of these people that are in the camp deviates instead of deviants, but deviates, and I'm just like, well, the real deviants are all of the guards and the people that are hunting the other people. It's not these Yeah, I mean poor Olivia Hussey guy ran into her shop and they're like, oh, well, come with us. You must have known this person. I mean, she hasn't done anything. She's truly the innocent here. And I'm trying to remember what because I know rails Back, like you said, he's running the whole radio thing. And I'm trying to remember the third one what she was up to.
Speaker 1: She's got into some sort of sexual problem. I think she was, you know, someone dobbed her in for being a sex work or something like that. I mean, we don't get a back We don't get a flashback story from her, and I think that that's got something to do with.
Speaker 5: That My only real and it's not really a complaint. I wish we would have seen a little more of a character ocase that actress is so good and we see she's gone a light in her eyes early on of just trying to encourage Olivia hasse she's trying to comfort her, but she's also trying to You could tell this woman's had to suffer a lot of things to survive a lot of things by using what an old an old timer would call feminine wiles. And yeah, she yeah, I think she says, Oh, they said I was a whore, but I'm not. And I was hoping she would live a little longer.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 5: I was very I was a little bummed by that. But yeah, and then it's oh god, and then you see that that reveal of her body that was gasling but appropriate, especially because it's like it does make me think of those old action like men's pulp novels from the fifties and sixties with all those great comfort or there's just like mutant ape men and they're fighting the Nazis, and there's like naked weapon. It's it's not quite that outraye, but it's close.
Speaker 1: But that's because the first the first aspect, the first twenty thirty minutes of the film is all it's all just a solid prison film, isn't it. And it's got the various characters of a prison film. You know, You've got You've always got the prisoner who can't cope. You know, in every single prison film I've ever seen, there's been the prisoner that that can't cope. There's the tough prisoner they want to break. There's the sort of there's the is that redheaded guy. There's always the toady do you know is going to get it really badly? There's and the guards are also to a type as well. Of course, there were always the brutal guard. There's always that scene in every single prison film I've ever seen where they arrange the new prisoners in the courtyards so that the boss guard can basically face them down and you get the introduction to the prisoners and that sort of thing. So that's it's just like that. I mean, so they're taking the prison tropes and then they then they take the tropes of that people hunting people films and blend them together plus jet fighters.
Speaker 3: Just that this isn't even the quote unquote prison camp, a re education and behavior modification camp. You know, your stay here will make you an asset to society. I mean, that's what I do really like about this, That trench of Smith is not afraid to go for that message and put that in here, and it's great. Is it heavy handed? Yeah, but it's fantastic. I love it. Give me more of that kind of stuff, you know, just all of the trappings of that, and just to even see like their little logo where it's like I guess it's like two faces kind of pointing out and like their brains are changing one's circles the other one's triangles, and I'm guessing, like, okay, I guess you move from the circle to the triangle or vice versa. Because I want to say, they even have that on their yellow jumpsuits, and that's really smart having those yellow jumpsuits. So then you can the way that Trencher Smith will make the crowd seem like it's bigger by just moving them. Every single time he's got a different setup, he moves the crowd behind everybody else, so it looks like there's hundreds and hundreds of people when I think it's only like maybe what twenty thirty something like that, not that many. And he uses the crowd very well to show, oh, there's a lot of people in this camp.
Speaker 1: He does that too in the fight, saying at the very end where all of a sudden, it looks like there's hundreds of people involved in this set pace battle. You know, all these guards coming down the ridge into the river, and all the prisoners on the other side, and it makes it look like there's far more of them than there actually are.
Speaker 5: When I say gloriously economy, like knowing the budget battles that he had to face with this and all of that there, you wouldn't know because it's if you're really looking for it in some places maybe, but he everything is just handled so beautifully and deftly. There's such a depth direction to this, and it doesn't it doesn't feel like you're missing really anything, like you're not missing some films you watch and you can feel that you're, like, man, this is you can feel that there's some kind of greatness loss, an opportunity loss, and I didn't.
Speaker 1: Get that you share, And actually I don't think it mattered. I mean, I know they make all that fuss in the making of in the making of movie, you know, shorts that you sent us, the extras mic that you sent us. I'll watch those. I've seen those before. When they talk about the fact that they just had the budget cuts. Someone pulled out and they lost what is it, seven hundred thousand dollars from the budgets, and so they just had to cut the first fifteen pages of the script, which were sort of bleshing out that sort of dystopian world that they are all in, and the nineteen eighty four noess. I actually have to say, I quite like the way you've got those crowd see those scenes of civil disturbance during the credits, and then bang, you're right into it. They're in the van. You have those backstories. I think that really works. I don't think you needed that other stuff. I think it just it just works. You're just there.
Speaker 3: If I had made Brothers, rather than this being a ninety minute film, I would cut it down to like eighty minutes. I think it could actually move a little bit faster at the beginning. I think once the turkey shoot starts. Like I said, it moves pretty quickly, and then it's just that whole exercise and editing who's after who, who's dead, who's moving out to the other ones, who's teamy gup.
Speaker 1: But she can't do that because then you would lose all that wonderful double on tundra between cut between Tito and Jennifer over the weapons, which takes at least about fifty minutes when they're all they're looking at her gun balances nicely holds well, you know, and then there's there's her playing with her the cross crossbow bolts and all of that sort of stuff, which is just glorious.
Speaker 5: Oh god. And just Natua makes some calm, like some little double on tinder about the thing the word he uses, but basically that a chamber is too large and there.
Speaker 1: And is that when she said, and she says, it's not the largeness, it's what you do with it. It's like, you know, yes, absolutely, we love that, love it.
Speaker 5: And agin, god, he just he just they're insulting each other. Yeah, it's just so great, especially because there these are the people that are judging others for being deviot. Meanwhile they're totally different people are going after a different game, even though we see them pick each person this is my game, this is Yeah, they don't. They don't when it comes out to it, they don't give a share. It's just it's all. It's like that great shot where it's a Tito yelling open Season and his little, tiny little bulldog.
Speaker 1: We have no idea who Tito or Jennifer even are. They're just they're these two sort of weird queer euro trash, weird you know, people who've just been parachuted into the cap to hunt people. She's got her lovely little you know, her riding cap on, and she's got a riding uniform on her horse with the crossbow like she's about to do dressage.
Speaker 3: Isn't that crazy a makeup she's got. At the beginning, I'm just like, holy cow, lady, that's a that's quite a look you got going on there. And then they cut right before she finally, you know, attacks her prey, and I'm like, oh, I think she was leaning in for a kiss. And then they cut away from that, and then the next time you see the girl, Yeah, it almost looks like she's got the arrow jam down her throat.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's coming out of a cheek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that it's that it's actually doing that. But I was just like, oh, that looks almost like an oral thing you've got going on there. And yeah, I'm so glad when she gets her come up. And so the come up and says in this movie are pretty great, especially Tito getting the machete right through the head.
Speaker 5: All of all of the come up, You're right, all every single come up and it's just so special. It's singular for each for each person. And also you mentioned her leaning here for that kiss and her I think I feel I almost made feel bad for that tricks. I'm like, if she's already got her tongue half way out, it's like Arno jurging in flesh for freak in his time when he starts trying to like kiss the sutures and it's just hell. But this is the guy who's never probably been with anybody living ever. With Jennifer, she's just she just it just adds to her sleeves, her sleeves appeal.
Speaker 4: It's not working, Barren, But I love this.
Speaker 5: Movie so much, just do. And this was a film and you hear wh people do this with Slashers where they're like, oh, the kills, the kills, and it's truth. I don't really go that route. But with this film, I'm like, we get like the whole booby trap kill with the multiple like the it's like multiple spikes, got the exploding arrows, that again a guy burning alive while after being shot in the granal region. I can't think about the movie that it has the Twain meet like that so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that poor guy near the beginning with those two big balls filled with gasoline.
Speaker 1: But the other aspect of this film, which is funny too in that respect, is it's all it's like that. You know. It's like that Great State in the Austin Powers movie where Scott sort of says, but you're going to feed him, you know, d Dr Evil has captured Austin Poweer. You're gonna feed him? What? You just to gun bank shoot him dead? You know. Everything in this film is so unnecessarily complicated, you know, And that's what someone of the joys about it. And that's why that that ridiculous game with the gasoline, which actually makes no sense really but it kind of works. You know. It's like you can just shoot him bank there, but you're going to do this sort of ridiculous thing with with plastic things of gasoline. It's like what you just dubbed the gasoline on him, so you were like, bang, that's dead.
Speaker 3: I have a gun in my room. I could go up and we could shoot him together. It would be fun.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest lines from that film. That film does skewer Bond films and a lot of those action films quite well in that respect for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm about to talk about moon Baker this weekend and talk about a movie that just was such the embodiment of the James Bond camp and all the things that Austin Power. It's just reveled in so much. I mean, the second wasn't it, The second one where they go to space, the second Austin Powers, I mean that is so yeah, a moon breaker.
Speaker 1: But it's also that that Austin Power is shot where the guy is gonna get getting run over by theer.
Speaker 2: He's my favorite.
Speaker 1: That reminded me of the scenes with that tune Buggy. You know, it's that is.
Speaker 5: My absolute favorite out of any of Austin Power is that two minutes.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's so great about that scene is there's a cut scene. There's a cut scene after almost every guard death in Austin Powers or cut scenes for those, I should say, And it's going back and seeing the family of the guard and just like, oh, it's something happened at work today, your father's not coming home and it becomes a big SoSE moment with like the music swells, and the mom and the son who's now without a father are there completely you know, destroyed. I love that. I really wish they would have done that.
Speaker 1: They're having drinks for him and Rob Low's proposing a toast for him. Yes, it actually goes to another point which I've been thinking about a bit because I mean, Turki Shoot. We've laughed about the violence and all that, because people talk about these films as being you know, revolved, as disreputable, but they're not as violent as the average superhero films, you know, I mean where where the violence is so dehumanized and you don't really see it, but you know, hundreds of people are getting.
Speaker 3: Killed, hundreds sometimes thousands of millions. You look at that Man of Steel where he it's I think the guys from We Hate Movies are like that's seventy five to nine to Eleven's all happening between all of the different buildings being destroyed by Zod and Ursa and None and Superman himself.
Speaker 1: Whereas this is just killing fascists basically, well, some of the prisoners get killed too, but this is just killing, you know, these weird fascists.
Speaker 5: Not to have that great Hordarowski interview, WHI Jonathan Ross rees, I love violence, but yeah, it's it's when people complain made these complaints. I'll wait, you've realized this is a storytelling, and we violence is everywhere, violence is in our is in everyday life. And and if a film, maybe the film is having this obviously the more cartoonish aspect of it in some ways, I'm obviously, but that's okay. It's all part of just it's all part of storytelling. And you know what, I think it's as reputable it is making making making a movie that costs enough money to you could rescue and revitalize third world economies, and you make it a shitty, boring movie that is disreputable. Making an entertaining film that actually it's beautifully made in so many facets and has some intelligence too. Within all of the exploitation type. I'll train that's the most reputable thing.
Speaker 2: In my opinion.
Speaker 5: I love I love that. It's it's just reputible to waste money and make a shitty movie.
Speaker 1: Heather, is that your Ted talk? I would pay cash money to hear that Ted talk from you.
Speaker 5: Thank you. My Ted talks are very strong. I try to have to wear it by welcome.
Speaker 3: The Mini you should be on the moth instead. I guess it goes back to the whole Aristotelean thing of Catharsis. You know, like, why do we like this stuff? Well, it's great to see these fascists being killed. Yeah, okay, we like you said, we see some prisoners killed as well, but it just makes us even angrier about the fascists. So yeah, this is great. I'm okay with bad people being murdered in movies, especially after you see them doing bad things over and over again.
Speaker 1: We say far what we say about you know, probably about what seven or eight people get killed in this film, very terribly. But I saw Deadpool the Wolverine recently, and I mean got the violence in that film, and just that the anonymous consequence free violence of that film is extra I quite enjoyed it, but it was extraordinary. And that's every single superhero. It's there's no consequences, there's no showing of the violence, but people are dying.
Speaker 3: The funny thing about Deadpool and Wolverine is that both of those superheroes their power is regeneration. Like that scene where Deadpool is killing all of the other Deadpools and then they all get up and just kind of shake it off and they're ready to fight again. It's like, okay, yeah, there. Death isn't a real thing in these superhero films. I mean, it's not a real thing in movies, right, But it's just like, none of these guys, these they can't be hurt, but they can be hurt temporarily, but they just literally get up straight and their spine out could connect the bottom half to the top half if I was alf the dog boy kind of thing and then just carry on with my day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but consequence free violence in films, that's what I'll actually object to that. I really disliked that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for on so many levels. There's a level, but it's also well, you've just kind of like taken the teeth out of your story. You've defamed it. It'd be like Alf without his fans or his top hat or his I love the time, and it's all vast. He's a little he's a little lad, and we love the little lad. It's the tale as old at time. Because it's in the eighties. We had all these politicians in the States that were wanting the eighties and nineties ballots and through video games or complaining about oh, natural born killers or whatever. But meanwhile it's true. Lies is great. Oh that's a great movie. That's a great American movie, big movie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ridiculous, it's but yeah, I don't know. I think if somebody tells you this film is disreputable, that tells you more about them in the movie.
Speaker 1: Well. It also came i think at a point in Australia's because you know, there were those two streams of Australian filmmaking at that time. There was the sort of new wave when we're making films like picnicd Hanging Rock and Careful He Might Hear You and these bucolic sort of stories of young girls in white lacey dresses following through an alien Australian landscape and all of that, and then you've got osploitation, which is sort of you know, at variance with that, and so much of the criticism of Turkey Shooters by these critics who are all huge fans of the sort of that new wave of Australian filmmaking. So of course they're going to When I was looking, when I was reading up on this film and I was reading all the negative comments and who was making them, I was going, of course you're going to say that. Of course Philip Adams is going to say that. Of course David Stratton is going to hate it. There are all these new wave people and you know, if you're not if you're not walking through the Australian Outback or you know, through in a lacey dress, it's it's you know, looking at the sort of looking at the looking at the world around you. It's it's it's not going to rate for.
Speaker 5: Them at that because I just feel like independent, so them people should all come to cover. It's like everybody, you're old. Everybody's basically fighting the good fight here. That's like that in so many countries that because it's like how many sort of art house people over here would turn down their nos be like oh, whether it's adult oh, that's just born out. That's evil Missus Jones's art house. It didn't play in an art house, so that's why it's classes here.
Speaker 1: It also it takes on a specific resonance in Australia because we're a small secondary market and we're always struggling for cultural relevance and for and to punch above our white and to be seen as a serious cultural force. This is certainly in the seventies and eighties when Australian filmmaking was just starting, so it was very much seen as through that, through that lens of advancing a serious look at Australia and Australian themes and all that stuff. And of course within that, films like Turkey Shoot they're not that they're not serious art house films that are vine with the kind of films that they make in America or Britain or stuff like that. So it's that sense of cultural cringe is even we still have it now, but in the seventies and eighties it was really well developed.
Speaker 3: So I didn't realize that because I knew this movie had a lot of different titles, but I didn't realize that the Escape two thousand version that was released here in the States on VHS was actually a lot shorter, and maybe that was doing what I was hoping it would do. It's only seventy eight minutes thirty seven seconds, as opposed to at least a solid ninety for the one that we watch as Turkey Shoot. So I did not realize that there's a twenty twenty one Umbrella Osploitation Classics release of this that has that version on there.
Speaker 1: What did they cut?
Speaker 3: I wish I knew, but I hope it's better than the cars that eight people versus the cars that eight Paris, which is just an abomination. And that's like an hour long compared to like an hour and a half. They really butchered that thing.
Speaker 5: Boy, that's disreputable. I know, I fear it. Seems like anytime a film like this gets cut, it's usually going to be the nudity and violence all the funds.
Speaker 3: But this is an American release, so maybe they just played that up. Who knows we do love our guns?
Speaker 1: Did they duble in American voices?
Speaker 3: That would make a lot of sense if they did that too.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's awful. I hate that shit me too. I hate it. I hate dubbing in general, but especially where it's you demiances. If everybody's speaking English, it's an accent, it's we have accents in our fucking country. They're gonna dub heath Hall where everybody sounds like they're buck Owens is like, see like he's Frank's at oddre or soundry. Jim naghbors that would be a good release to get at this. I have the severan release of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that one's still in print, but I think the the osploitation classics are out of print, or at least this one is. But I wish it wasn't me too.
Speaker 5: We know how much these things go up in value.
Speaker 3: Well, especially if it's got a slipcover to it. I mean that piece of cardboard is going to cost a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Those are probably like the you know, people like shooting each other ever sneakers in the eighties, people probably liked doing that, getting in night fights ever slip ever.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Something I will have to track down now is the Escape two thousand release of this film, just to compare it. All Right, We're going to take a break and play a pair of interviews. First up, we'll hear from ritter himself, Roger Ward, and after that it is writer director Brian Trenchard Smith. And we'll be back with both of those right after these brief messages.
Speaker 11: Hello, this is Will, a writer of three films plus My Christmas Special, And.
Speaker 12: This is Kevin, a writer of one in a bit films of three and a bit episodes of TV.
Speaker 11: Screenwriters by day, Podcasters by night.
Speaker 12: Yeah, okay, batman, And we're the hosts of The Best Bits I Show, where each episode we pick our favorite film scenes for randomly selected, weirdly specific.
Speaker 11: Themes such as best fighting There's sex scene, and best Tom Cruise running scene.
Speaker 4: Why should I know these things?
Speaker 1: Do you go?
Speaker 12: And we have the world's first podcasting AI to keep us on the straight and matup say hello pod but Hello. So if you're looking for another film podcast, subscribe to Why not.
Speaker 11: Check us out The Best Bits with Will Collins and Kevin Lee Hans And yeah.
Speaker 5: It's good crash Irish crack.
Speaker 11: So if you want legal crack, subscribe to The Best Bits podcast Please.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk to you about Brian Crunchard Smith and Turkey Shoot specifically, but I'd love to know just how because you worked with them several times, and how was your experience working on Turkey Shoot.
Speaker 2: I knew Frenchard before he made Man from Hong Kong, before he even started making films. I met him, so we were friends and we did a few documentaries together, and then he told me about this form he was trying to get up called the Yellow Peril, which happened to be eventually The Man from Hong Kong, about a year or so before he got to going. So we did that together and then we did other things later. But then he rang me this one Turkey shoot. He rang me in May eighty one and said he had a scheme, but he didn't have a set date to start. I just signed with the company to do a television series and I'd done the pilot and I was waiting to do the main part of it, so I thought I couldn't do this one a Turkey shoot. But anyway, it was held off. The other show was put off for a while, and this one took a while to start so I could do it and out about May eighty one when he rang me, and it wasn't until June that we actually started filming. But I didn't want to wait. I was shooting in Here in North Queensland, which is a lovely spot holiday resort. So I grabbed my kids and I said, look, you want to come up to Cans for holiday. So we drove up thinking we had a couple of week and we were about a week on the trip, just relaxing and enjoying ourself. And there was a telephone communication problem, so I didn't really know where I was starting or how they were going. And we finally got through to each other and they said, where the hell are you? Four hundred miles away? They said, for God's sake, we were trying to get there for days. So I shot up the Cans one hundred miles an hour and got there late that night and the producer, Tony Ganaine, who would book me or wanted me, and he wanted me to look like had Max, like the guy in Max. He said, you've got hair. Yeah, he said, God, get it off. I said I can't because I'm doing it in the middle of the pilot for the new show. And so he said, God, that's why I need you like that. I don't even my agent and I was there. They got through okay, after Cutler, but them and I was standing alongside him when he's talking to my agent. He said, we need right to take his hair of us, and he went on thousand dollars. He wants a thousand dollars.
Speaker 13: To shave his head. He said, okay, shave your hair. You just find yourself a thousand bucks with now a thousand bucks.
Speaker 2: That shave my head. And just as well because the pilot never went The pilot that I did for the series never did go off, so I was lucky to do that. But Tony Tony works or lives in America mostly and he does very UnAustralian films and this one of them. He does unique films and I quite liked working with him. He's good of a tyrant that I quite enjoy working with him. But yeah, we worked in eighty one and it was until through the July, mid July we worked. We had David Hemings doing second unit and David is quite a good director. I quite enjoyed working with it. What's the name again, I don't The girl?
Speaker 3: Oh Olivia Hussey, Olivia Hut.
Speaker 2: She was really nice but a bit off the air, poor kid she was. She's married to Dean Martin's son, Dean Martin Jr. He was a pilot in the Air Force. But they're just divorced. But she was remarried to a Japanese guy, a Japanese guitarist musician. But she still seemed out off the air. And a couple of times she said to me, I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here. Was he like, can North squeeze nn. It's not that she said, I just don't want to be here on this she's a bit weird at time. Or she wrote a book called The Girl on the Balcony in twenty eighteen, and so she's doing okay. She must be. She must have got out of that depression, but she was in a very depressive state. Steve rasback with a lovely guy. He's not the best athletic person in the world, but he kept stumbling and falling over. But he had a good stunt man that doubles for him, so he was okay. But Steve Rasack is a lovely guy too.
Speaker 3: Do you have a good time. It feels like you're having a very good time. From as a viewer.
Speaker 2: My first fat shooting, like the day after I had my head shake, was in a They took me out and David Hemmingt did the second unit. Brian was working the main unit. So David took me to this river and Steve Rowseback and Olivia were supposedly being chased by me by characters, and they had to cross this river on a log and she was pleading at the lad and Steve Raose was doing the like the Jaws music. The dast up that, but he was quite happy on the log that I had it wade through the bloody river was cheteat or neck deep. I had a wade through the river. And before that there's crocodiles up there like you wouldn't believe. And they said, oh, there's no crocodiles in here. But anyway, we did explode put dynamite in the river and we would have got rid of any crocs that I heard that the like was saying where he blew the river up the center clocked up to my area. Not only do I have to cross the river, but I had to go to the other side of the river to come back for the shot. So I had to cross the damn river twice. And he said to me, David, bloody liar that he was. He said, I don't worry I've got a stunt man underwater with sphere guns by the water was yet black and I couldn't see any bubbles shoming up. But he said they were stunt men under the water with guns, so they couldn't have seen a crocodile anyway over the air short So I went across to the other side. I said, you get one pink baby gets one shake, and I crossed the river neck up with my guns above her head. But that went well. It was a good looking scene. It looked good. But later on at the continuation of that scene but done a few days later, where Steve and Olivia are still running and I'm still chasing, and it got to that stage where we did the cutting of the hand sequestion. I was shooting it Steve and having a fight with Steve. And finally near the end of that scene, I put my hands on a rock with a gun between double handed, and I'm firing at Steve and she's got hold of my machete and she's supposed to chop my hands off, and she's got I looked up and she's got the machete above her head. Her eyes are blazing, and David said, okay.
Speaker 5: And cut. She went to tough.
Speaker 2: Maybe he said no, don't count to god. I got my hands out of the way in time. But the floody machete come down on it. Oh my god. She was off the air that they did it did the game later, but David willed the mechety. Later on they did a close up. They couldn't have a handle of the chevy guy, but she was really off the air that kid.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the pilot that you were doing at the time, and it feels like, just looking at your filmography nineteen eighty two, nineteen eighty one, you were really busy because you were doing the Pirate movie around the same time too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did the Pirate movie the same year. I did well if you kept Lady Stayed Dead the same year. I did a lot of films that. Yeah, yeah, the pilot, but I would have liked to have done that pilot. It was it was a planet a cop, quite a good cop, good character. I remember Terry Burke, he's a director. You may have heard of him. Terry Birke's wife, she was a Japanese girl, and she saw the pilot and she said to me, oh, you become a star. You'd be some star, said he I've already a star, thank you very much. I'm doing four frills this year. But they never did eventually. But we had English producers on this score on Turkiship. They were English producers and they were pretty rooch, the sort of guys financially. And although I played quite well and I was paid on time, a lot of people weren't that I was. But they were also looking on ways to make money, and they befriended a horse trainer up there, a guy called Joe, only a young guy but about thirty. They befriended him and they said to him, look, so they had races every Saturday in the country, and they're not pleased the country state. They're not pleased by any regulations, and they have a lot of bookies up there, and they said to him, look, can you rig the race so that we can get on the horse that you guarantee is going to win and we'll get some money if you get the shim moving. Because so this trainer said, yeah, sure, okay. So he told his dropees and pay them off what to do, and the favorite was to be pulled back by the jockey. So he said to me and Cheve Rackman, the other actor who played out. He said, you guys want to get in on this, he said, because the producers are back and a certain horse which is going to win. He said, I've organized it to win and you can make some decent money. So I put fifty bucks on it. I didn't take a chance, as Steve would about the fame. But these producers, there were a circle of bookies in a circle, and these producers blatantly went around putting thousand bucks with that, a thousand bucks with that. Jeff walked around the circle blatant. He put a thousand bucks on each bookie, so obvious, and I put my fifty bucks down there with one. But anyway, the race started at of course, to favorite bound it out ahead of all the others, and the poor jockey couldn't hold the bloody thing back. He could see him pulling on it, trying to get it back. And of course the one that's supposed to win was floundering in second, and all the other jockeys are holding his back, letting number seven win. But the bloody favorites up the head. So the poor jockey, thinking what's going to happen to live if he does win? The race, so he jumped off the horse and it broke his bloody leg. He drok his leg into the bargain. But it was probably better that would have happened to him. Had he won the race, he would have got worse. But of course there's a big inquiry about it. But he said, I fell off the horse, and of course that horse, where there's no rivals, he doesn't win. So number seven came in and the producers and me went up to the jockeys and to the bookies and got our money. But it was quite embarrassing, terrible, But these think producers didn't change the care, just picked their money up blatingly and went on, they want that trainer because he did a favor for me, and Steve wouldn't leave it alone from and then every night he came to our room every night, talk talk, talk all night. So about a week we just couldn't get rid of him. He thought he was a great mate of ours. So Steve said to me, can you get rid of bloody Joe? He's in my room every night? I said, but he's in my bloody room every night too. He should forget rid of him, for christ Shake, I'm s fit up with him. So I thought, okay, I thought, I'm an idea what to do. So anyway, I went to Steve's room when he was in there, and I went into the bathroom stripped naked and got a very thin candle, stuck it up my ears listen and turned me out, singing, come.
Speaker 5: Out of baby, and I light my fire.
Speaker 2: And this poor Joe he Fred is a.
Speaker 14: Blundy many're your body man. He left and we never saw him again. But I'm not help the kid candle. I'm telling you that now we got rid of the poor bagger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Was saying that the budget was slashed tremendously and that was one of the big problems. It sounds like they didn't put that betting money back into the pool.
Speaker 2: Maybe they didn't. Did he mention the betting money?
Speaker 3: No, he didn't tell me that story. No, that was fantastic.
Speaker 2: He may not even known about it because he gipt been remarried, and he gept been married the first time. He was in love with his beautiful wife and he was still with and he didn't didn't socialize much. We socialized a lot. He's the previous and finished. But on that he was very much in love with his beautiful wife. But didn't see much of him. But what I just looked in to see. Oh yeah, when I mentioned that they put explosives in the river, that guy was a wild irishman.
Speaker 4: He looked.
Speaker 2: He linked in cares and he just came out from island. He was a bit of an explosive expert because they used him on the river. They paid him a fair money, a fair amount of money because he saw a party that night his property. He said, I've got a big party at my property, and I come along. And he catered well and all that. But there were some like an outhouse, an outside toilet on the property in the in the middle of a paddock. He said, oh, there's a toilet over there. But most of us just went to the bush or onnce of the trees. Nobody went into the toilet. But Gus Mercurio is an actor from America and a very gruff voice actor, and he played one of the prison guards with me, and he played Red in the film. Anyway, he wandered off and went into the toilet, and they should he was not in there about spew millets. When banged, the bloody toilet exploded. All the walls went fell down and the roof came off, and he hitched poor bloody Red slicking in the bloody toilet and he said, trousers around his ankles.
Speaker 5: Then god damn, what the goddamn.
Speaker 2: Well's going on here? It's this bloody experted bte it for a joke, except the point was up with false wolves and everything, and blew the blooding apart when anybody went. It just happened that got the carrier of the only one that used it. But he was quite a crazy guy. They're a bit crazy up there in northwest there, but he was an irishman on top of it, so it added to it. But I was quite happy doing the show, and I liked that fight scene I did with the girl Ariano Panazza. Yeah, she was the young girl I beat up in the when Michael Michael Craig was doing your speech about in jail and looking after yourself and I had a fault make out, faulty hitter, and she was a very good little actress. I didn't hit her at once, but I came very close to it, and she she made that scene I felt she said, I forget what she said. But with the beautiful speech she made while I was trying to supposedly smack her, and I ended up kicking her her death in the end, but she did a good job the kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you and Hugh keys Burns are probably my favorite part of Man from Hong Kong. I know that movie's got so many great things to offer, but just you guys together as the cop buddy kind of thing. I was like, I wish they spun off a whole series of movies with you too.
Speaker 2: That were suggested, and we would have love that. Yeah, we were a good double. I like that. He's a great guy to work with it. I'd work with him in Style as well, and that one Madam Hong Kong, but it was a toightly different character and in Madam Hong Kong was good. Yeah, so I enjoyed that film. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was the thing I like about Brian's films is it just feel very fun and it feels like he's having a good time making them, You're having a good time acting in them, and I just enjoy watching those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a boys on boy. He love action on a bencher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be working on these days because I feel like he never slowed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did a film last September in Cann's North Quaint Fans signed Flash. We did Turkis Shoot and I've just I've won two acting awards for that since then, just for that film alone, and on the strength of that. The director is writing another one but next April, which he hasn't finished his script yet, he said he to me, but he tends to thirty pages another thirty. It's a very good script. They're both horror films. To what I did before is a horror film called Zombies Versus the Men's Shed. The Men's shed a place where men go and the zombies attack it. But it was a combatic horror. And now we're doing another one and next April May. So I booked for that, but I'm actually writing my memoirs. As I think we spoke about that before. Justin has wrote him intro for it. It's not been published. It's on the way, but they've asked me to do a second version, had like a second volume, which I'm not he completed, and so I'm busy working writing pretty well all day every day, but just so I've done. I'm just about to finish the second volume, but I'm nowhere near the end of my life. So they're now talking about doing a third volume. We better wait, we see if these first two we've already got there one but I'm not going to put all that type. But having lived a long life, like I have a text you while of bloody writer, I'm not an eight any year old pop star.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to read those. I hope we can talk again once those come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Justin did a good job with the intro, very good, and but yeah, I quite enjoy that that first memoir has gone to the making of Mad Max. It's called Becoming fee Fee so lead up to me playing Mad Max. And then the next one is all about my sojourn after Bad Max. I went out the season to it all around Europe and Paris and Brussels, England, America, trying to flog another film that I wrote, Will Take Been Made Fish. But that was a sort of a journey to try and shallow that film, and I finished that when that film was made, So I've had an angle on both of them. We're leading the Mad Max leading to the sale of that film, and then the next one I'll be leading up to my expiry. I should imagine if you do. But I really like writing and I ate it. Other people's worked and I've just finished that on Friday. We did someone else's script on Friday, so there's no rest. Let's go all the time, either acting or writing. But I quite like him like that. I couldn't sit down and relax sometimes, I'd like you.
Speaker 3: Do you still get paid a thousand dollars to shave your head?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Actually every film after they wanted me to shave my head, and I said, I'm sorry, but there's a criteria. It's going to cost you a thousand bucks. And it's funny enough when my agent told the producer that was going to cost him a thousand should what I can remember when rude your work for a thousand back season, that's what they say. Now when I say, look, it's not across a thousand book.
Speaker 5: Oh jeez, I'd trying to port that.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, you want to get it? So I do. I prefer to have hair. I'd like to have hair, but everybody wants me bald. My wife works me bald. Every time my hair gets a fraction of her stubble. She worked me to shave it. So I can't win.
Speaker 3: Do you tell her it's going to cost her a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try that. I didn't vigure that I'll have to give her the thousand to give it to me. You yea. Even my daughter says, I prefer you with the bald head and the verstache. Dad. Even my daughter perfers me like this.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, mister Ward. Thank you so much. I really appreciate you talking to me about this.
Speaker 2: Good Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks Mike, before we even start to talk about Turkey shoot. I'm so curious how you decided or how you got into the movie business, just because you have had such an interesting career.
Speaker 4: I've been very lucky with my career and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I decided I wanted to be a filmmaker after seeing Albert Hitchcock's Vertigo on its re release in England when I was thirteen, double pilled with it. Rory Calhoun Western four Guns to the Border with Nina Fosch, whose name was given to this pronunciation quite a lot in Hollywood, and she was in the ten Commands. And I eventually took acting lessons as a director, wishing to learn better how to relate to actors from Nina Fosch when she became the drama coach, and she was a fine drama coach and actress. I did a six month course with Barry Manilos in the class as a flair for comedy, I could tell the class, but seeing Vertigo convinced me that it made me feel something that I realized. I loved movies. I loved how they made me feel, and I wanted to make other people feel that way. And I'd even experienced a little bit of that manning the school projector at my boarding school, the sixteen milimeters projector that I was taught how to monitor it, and it was great to watch the audience enjoying a Mickey Mouse cartoon something like that. I liked the feeling of a show, like the feeling of an audience reacting to a drama of some kind or a comedy playing out on the screen. And I guess I said, I want to do that. Just we a great deal of good fortune I was able to. I made an eight milimeter film at school, which included a battle scene using the Cadet core. As a result of that, I got to edit the sixteen millimeter film for an industrial film for the father of my girlfriend as I was leaving school, and they paid me ten pounds to hack this four hundred feet of sixteen millimeter footage of the industrial developments at the central electricity generating board, shipping good as it by helicopter, not damaging farmers, and all that had to be put into some sense of coherence to what random cameraman had shot. And that was my first editing experience. I got odd jobs in the Bridge film ministry for the next two years, but there was no rapid advancement due to it being a closed shop. There was a trade union that said that you couldn't hire anyone outside of the union if there was still a union member in that particular category that was unemployed. And suddenly if you were the relative of a union member or were related to famous actors or famous producers and directors, he was easy to get in. But I had no such family connections, and so I had worked as a clapper boy for a company, a non union company or French actually a French newsreal company operating in London, and I wrote myself a reference on there, they saying I was basically the greatest things in sliced bread and took it to the boss. And so I'm going to Australia, to the land of my father, to see what I can do over there. Would you mind signing this and it'll help me get a job, And he said, oh, okay, fine, so off I went. I sailed to Australia during the British seamen strikes. That was an interesting voyage. Within three weeks of getting.
Speaker 15: To Australia, I was working as a news film editor at Channel ten Sydney, having cold called one day and presented my reference.
Speaker 4: I think I can be reasonably persuasive when I put my mind to it, and I had a good interview with personnel officer who was recovering from an armed robbery at the television station, a payroll robbery which he and his assistant were tied up. The seven thousand dollars dollars was stolen, the thieves were eventually caught. I think about four months later I was interviewed by him. I don't know whether any of these strange coincidences had any bearing upon my hiring anyway. He's a nice guy, but that was my start, and news cutting led me promoting well, saying I think the station promos are dull. I can do better, and they said okay. In Australia in those days, it was if you want to have a go, or let you have a go, you better not fuck up. So I did and the premos I said, I've put sex and violence so far as you were allowed to, or maybe a bit more than you were allowed to. And this attracted the attention of another television network. They stole me. I made promos for them and they were very happy. And I just had a flare of picking the bits out of what I saw that would attract you to want to see more. And I had already been unconsciously making a study of this throughout my childhood because I always wanted to see the trailers and anyway, and trailer making became an adjunct to my filmmaking career, and I've made over a one hundred. When I stopped counting trailers for theatrically released films, either on cinemas or directed video or those of the two, made countless more promos for television. I launched the Australian launch of the original Star Trek series and that famous Red Raymond Burr series ironside A mod Squad Time Tunnel. I made Australian pemos for those and anyway. So promo making and then trailer making for cinema well. Promo making on Australian television led to an American company sending me to London to work for National Screen Service, their subsidiary that made seventy percent of the trailers for English language product in Europe, which included spaghetti westerns amongst others. So I made the trailer for SERGIOI only his Months upon a Time in the West. You can find still on YouTube if you're a diligent cinema historian. And it's actually not a bad trailer. I would say that most of my trailers are too long, and like all trailers, give too much away. But I, being a great one, longtime lover of trailers, now I try not to see them till after I have seen the mute. Then I said, ah, where did they choose that bit? I think don't know why that bit was wasted? And why didn't they choose that shot, et cetera. Why did they give away that plot point there, et cetera. We go on, But to promo making has a great deal to do with my analytical process when creating a project. And The Man from Hong Kong, my first big feature film, was basically created almost on a trailer maker's formula. An action scene, one dialogue scene, you know, propel the narrative as economically as possible through the interaction of characters, and get to the next set piece and give the audience a variety of what they came to see. And an action picture that could go all over or it can be strictly martial arts. And I chose to combine a bit of Bondish action to basic kung fu material in The Man From But it was it was done to a formula that would keep things moving. I'd make them laugh and laughs and gasps. I think, I guess two words that would I have lived by.
Speaker 3: But where were you as far as your career when it came to Turkey Shoot?
Speaker 4: Turkey Shoot actually initially was a setback to my career and is now actually considered to be one of the more interesting films that I made. It's funny how things turn out. But in nineteen eighty two when it came out, it was reviled by critics and did great business in the drive in theaters of America and sold to Roger Corman's New World Pictures, where it actually it grossed over a million dollars on a basically just to drive in double release, which was not bad, pretty good from Australian film in nineteen eighty two in the American market. But as for where my career was at that point, my career after Man from Hong Kong, I was not let's say, not consider an A Levis director of Australia. Directors who chose different subject matter, a more serious minded subject matter, more Australian a subject matter. They were directors that tended to state and federal funding bodies who wish to be associated with higher cultural product, let's say. But also the distributors who were involved, who have reluctantly forced into investing in Australian films by the government regulation, thank you. They want to lose money, and of course the occasionally they made a lot of money. Alvin Purple hugely successful Australian sex comedy that men could bring their wives to at the beginning of the brand new R rating, which was a sort of suddenly nice surprise and seventeen so I Man from Hong Kong had not gotten me an American career, and it hadn't gotten me an Australian career other than anything I could generate myself. So I went and generated Death Cheaters, which was a curious hybrid. I managed to sell it to a distributor to be a G rated Christmas release action picture, sell it to a television distributor international television distributor as the pilot for a potential television series, and somehow I had to please both masters and get it out in time for Christmas. When I was shooting in July now and shooting on sixteen millimeter, blow it up thirty five and it's for one hundred and fifty thousand dollars moving. Actually it passes the time. It's a very interesting time capsule today. After Death Cheaters and then stunt Rock, I knew that I used stunt Rock as a stepping stone to see if I could get a picture going in Hollywood or at least bring investment back to Australia. But that only resulted in me getting useful experience in America of my may Day of the Assassins and doing a lot of promotional work and making contacts with major distributors. So it was a useful a couple of years, but Turkey shoot was what brought me back from the US and I thought, okay, this will be my film with a reasonable budget that I could really show.
Speaker 3: My staff that.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, we lost a third of the bus and it had to come out of the below the line. And this happened during pre production, and no fault of the producer was because government changed the tax incentive regulations and so the extraordinarily generous one hundred and fifty percent of your tax liability if you invested it in an Australian feature film had to be theatrically released and qualify to an adequate amount of Australian content. Then that's and that really got a lot of films made, and maybe a lot of films that really needed greater thinking through before they were rushed into production. But that's another story. Bees to the honey. So when the regulation changed and you couldn't get one hundred and fifty percent, get on twenty percent, said ah, yeah, I'm not doing that, and the money didn't show up, and so two weeks before shooting, clearly the thirty six day schedule was not going to happen. We actually had to lose seven days of shooting too, and we couldn't afford the cost of the first fifteen pages, which I replaced with a stop footage credit title sequence, which did the job just as well. So it's funny how things turn out. I wanted to do nineteen eighty four meets the Camp on Blood Island, and then they play the Most Dangerous Game or the Naked Prey or Battle Royale or the Hunger Games or whatever derivative run of the arrow, whichever derivative of the most Dangerous Game which and I thought that combination of those three genre supsets would be an entertaining cocktail shaken, not stirred. I was going to make it violent and sardonic. In yeah, basically mission accomplished, but not with the finesse that I had hoped, and had to do a lot of improvisation. You know, the somewhat spacey futuristic vehicle that Camp Commandant was going to drive that turned out to be a simple agricultural vehicle to be found in Cares, but it was red and it was a different shape. That was a start, and one has to be philosophical about these things. But I realized that I was going to have to veer more into camp than I probably had intended to, And maybe the natural absurdity of some of the things that were going on, both in front and behind the scenes, ratcheted up my natural sense of the absurd. Because I am, after all, the child at Monty Python. I see the absurdity of a lot of human behavior. But there are strange shifts of tone in the film. There are some extreme cruelty and yet there's some rye chuckles. Some people find that they're they're strange bedfellows, But it's an interesting sort of smorgasbord, of which maybe some items are a little too bitter. Think of it that way, that that Extrajlipanio in the burning of the inmate sequence harsh. But on the other hand, I thought, every now and again I have to hit the political message, and there's another side that creeps into my films. Roger Corman was very smart. He put political messages into exploitation pictures. The Wild in the Streets a really interesting idea that he got across cleverly and drew a bigger audience by doing so, and it had some interesting, thought provoking ideas in it that are still worth thinking about. Today. It's amazing how some things may come true. Look at Network, one of the great films of all time. It's all coming true anyway. The beating up of the inmate on the break ground, coupled with the right wing mantra readings obredience as workers of life are part of work, consumed silent die that needed to be brutal and yet sardonic. I wasn't able to bring a sardonic quality to the Death of the Young Kid. I just went for the brutality of it and it sits strangely at that point. But by now you probably know this film is bizarre. It's going in strange directions. I haven't seen anything quite like this before. I'm going to keep watching. I may not like it talk about it, but it had that kind of response. Critics damned it. In England, it opened to queues around the block. Somehow the word had spread in four minutes. It would have been cut out, but it has a residual slug in the guts, an effect even with the British sensor cuts. Now, the total version that is available on Blu ray seems almost tame by today's standards, where gizzards and kidneys are being flung in your face on Netflix. There's no dismemberment that we haven't tried yet with the aid of digital effects. What new part can we cut off? The boys as a good example of political satire being taken two extremes, we're using sex and violence, using basically all the forbidden fruits, getting your eyeballs to watch the extremes, and doing an interesting portrait of a surreal portrait of front. Parts of it make me WinCE because I could have done it better, but I'm proud of it overall, for somehow getting through it, somehow turning a script that had been reduced to seventy two pages and a shooting schedule that I was told to do in thirty days got done in twenty eight and just they were going to cut me off, and I managed to do those opening flashbacks. It says that gave the reason for the character's capture, which had been originally part of a ten minute, big action scene. I managed to get that done in a jewelry shop and a back shed, with me bashing Steve Rail's back over the head. That Steves was a really nice guy. He hated what had happened in the movie. He hated out the budget cut, but he got with the program. He was never difficult and he is a good actor. And I wish I'd had the opportunity to use what he had and what you could see in all his early work. Look at him in The Stuntman and even some of his ex files portrayal something naturally terrifying. But so Steve was great that the cast was uniformly good. The cast was basically given to me, and I think I lucked out in a lot of areas. Orianna Pinoso is great, beaten to death. Roger Ward, the Guard from Hell, what a guy. I love him. We remain in contact, and he's a great guy. And he was in my very first film, The Stuntman, along with Grant Page. Wilst Grant now but Roger, I hope you'll stick around a bit longer. But yeah, so I've had Roger and six pictures. Gus Mercurio, wonderful guy. Used to do trailer narrations for me too, and he does the trailer narration for Turkey Shoot, which is I think one of my fun trailers that still stands up today, along with Once Upon a Time in the West. I think my trailer for the Vampire Lovers as a hoot Lahola.
Speaker 3: Was it shot under the title Turkey Shoe because there are so many titles to it that I've seen over the years.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was a script written by three rations that had been optioned by John Daly of Mdale. It was called Turkey Shoot You. Was set in the nineteenth thirties where in a Deep South I was a fugitive from a chain gang, cool hand loop kind of thing common Dad and some of the local gentry get together, deside to have a little hunt. Prisoners are expendable and release a few out of the swamps, et cetera. They had things including balls and chains like chain gang things, and somebody eventually get sucked into a quicksand ball and chain. I used the ball and chain and the fire the death of a kid, but that was the only thing I lifted from that. But as you can see, it was a period piece that we were to shoot in Australia, American period piece and had to qualify for Australian PAX subsidies by being an Australian film. There was so I thought kick it into the future, the sort of authoritarian corporate future, and make the prisoners political dissidents of let's say the English language version of Soviet Russia, and this is the Gulag, and then think you could pass this off as an Australian production because it's in the future, and because people speak, there are Americans, there are Brits, they're Olivia Hussey was allowed to qualify. Steve Railsback was allowed to qualify. Michael Craig had become he was a British I had had some starring roles in British films for many years, and he had moved to Australia qualified as an Australian resident. And so I think Michael Petrovitch, who had done a Hammer Horror, and the rest of the cast, Carmen Duncan, big TV star, the Destona Big TV star, and Gus Mercurio was a TV star as well through Cash and Company at Tandara he toasted wrestling Australian televisional Bot and so Graham Kennedy was going to be the Mad helicopter pilot and one of the hunters, and he was going to be hunting Bill Young, whom I had already had in hospitals Don't burn Down, and I waded him for being so good that film by having him riddled with arrows and run over by a truck in a Turkey shoot. Anyway, that I had to do that because I couldn't have Grayam Kennedy chase him with a helicopter firing rockets and bursts of machine gun fire all over the jungle, which would have been quite spectacular, but cost money. So I was told, get rid of that character. He wants fifty dollars. That's far too much money. I know he's a big star of television, but forget that. Get some give his function to other hunters. Oh okay, so when you're on a slippery slope, do the pragmatic thing. That's how Bill Young got hunted. Yeah, Thatcher and and commonductor. But I think the cast was overall good. But I pitched the plane to be right because it's a right piece, you know. I think people get with the fun of it and it takes the curse of some of the violence.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I grew up in the States, so I'm aware of what was going on in eighty two here in the US, as well as a little bit of what was happening in the UK. And you've got the character Thatcher, what was going on in Australian politics at the same time. Was it that also leaning more towards the right or embracing the right like we were doing here in the States.
Speaker 4: In the UK, No, I think we were really more embracing the left through Bob Hawk, i'll be, former trade union leader who then became Prime Minister, and he didn't give about a number of useful social reforms. The Labor government that had briefly made some difference in the early seventies was thrown out in seventy five and took till eighty three for labor to get in. Anyway, it was there was part of the political thinking in the film, and I developed it to to rewrite with two new American writers. I never had anything to do with the original three writers because they wanted money to work, and I got two new writers who wanted less money, let's say, and they were well enough paid. But I was developing it in ninety eighty and into eighty one, and I was concerned about Reagan or Ronald Raygun as he was sometimes known in Australia, which was the first strike target of Soviet Russia that Kine Gap in South Australia and this by network. There Australia does feel vulnerable. Britain must feel very vulnerable, particularly currently. I would say, yeah, there was a it's part of the swing to the left by nineteen eighty eighty one eighty two, the strong body of opinion in Australia that possibly in danger of starting the World War. There's bellicose attitude that Reagan seemed to be displayed. Now with retrospect, I can see why Reagan took that posture and it worked to out distanced Soviet Union economically and made them come to terms effectively. That has now been Yeah, at first because Russian redemptism. But we must not get sidetracked into politics. But there again, I see, movies are full of so many issues. But anyway back to this one. What we wanted to get across in the script is what would happen if a consumer society, capitalist society got taken over by an authoritarian regime that felt that harsh measures were necessary to bring society under control after some period of dislocation. See, and extreme measures are necessary and just got to get the distance re educated in a milk and form, and inevitably, in any authoritarian system, corruption will result in atrocity, make the whole movie, set it in Russia and say, yeah, I totally believe that. What if you said it here? See could this happen here? But yeah, I think there's a germ of a thought there. It caught on people to see black hearted, fancy dress, let's say anyway, so that that was the thinking behind it. But also I thought, let's make a fast paced, knockdown, drag out, tough action picture with a risense of humor, and that will entertain them for ninety four minutes. And I think it takes a lot to entertain people for two hours. Down something about that three act structure in ninety minutes? An what can you say?
Speaker 3: Tell me about the remake and tell me about how that happened.
Speaker 4: Yes, I what did I have to do with the remake? I was never asked to remake it perhaps should have been, And when I heard it was happening, I didn't have any rights to it. Of course I was paid out eventually. It took a legal letter, but I was paid, but I was not sent a script. But then eventually I was asked, can I please put your name on it as executive producer? And we have so little money maybe I'll give you a thousand dollars or a really nice bottle of wine. Neither has ever arrived. I did eventually see it. I heard lots of stories about its difficulties in post production, and I think the post House did a magnificent job. I believe I did see it, and I have great sympathy for the director who had to do it in fifteen days, fifteen ten hour days with very slender resources. So I take my hat off to him for effort. And I think that the newscasters in the satirical newscasters are excellent, but the leading man is charmless. Now you could say that Jimmy Woe knew in man from Hong Kong is charmless. He just punches people. You could say that. I mean, one critic called him the coln Fura. Anyway, many an action hero is charmless. But I'm traded this guy. I loved seeing Roger Ward, but I wished he was there for longer. Could be not anyway, but he was a waiter, homagely Richard. I just I felt that I had maybe he would have if I had been involved. Maybe they could have found a bit more money to make it with making films is very odd and making for no money particularly, and so I sympathize with the director there, and it was a noble effort if it was to be done, and I wouldn't have done it unless I felt I could bring it off. And maybe I could have been shown what there was and I would have said no, but I was not given that opportunity, and then ultimately got nothing out of it except well, such disappointment. I've never spoken about it publicly, but I don't have to say, oh, I actually feel Look, that's showbuss. I don't feel hard done by. I just feel I would have handled it differently if I'd been the man in charge. But that's just me. I don't have too many unhappy, bleeding bodies behind me, I believe, But I'm not bleeding. I'm very happy. And once again Turkey Shoot gets screened in a drive in in Oregon. Really yeah, good to see it like that and see it on the drive for a long time.
Speaker 3: The thing that always gets me with this movie is the mutant, just the appearance of what some people would call the wolfman when he shows up, and I was just curious, if you can tell me a little bit more about that.
Speaker 4: I yes. Originally the mutant was written to have like a semi prosthetic arm that it could be so he'd obviously been mechanically altered in some way he was going to be. He was written to be a sort of challenged to the prosthetic makeup department. Bob mccarrum excellent makeup artists who were distinguished a number of films, both in Straight Out of New Zealand and elsewhere. He came up with the makeup effects, and look how well he created thatcher's head blowing off and so forth. He came to me and said, the Bud, so much of my budget's been cut. I can't do what I had in mind. Really, all I can do is give you some strange eyes. There's a lot of hair. So we put together what we could change. The scriptures, say found him in a circus and so forth. So at one point he'd been a product of genetic engineering anyway, and the teeth obviously it was added, and so I thought, we're just going to have to go with it, and maybe the laughs will compensate. We had a special section of the tree built that we could drop him up again, and of course we built the what we call the traveling pants, which we filled with leftovers of the lunch we had that day. We had a lot of steak and sausages, and there were leftovers, and so we just created a layer with some ketch up, some stage blood and sausage and awful et cetera to be his bottom half for that insert shot. And we got piano wire so we could jerk it around a little bit. I know, I'm a sick puppy. It just seemed the logical touch of absurdity to add to a scene in which Petrovitch had fired a rocket launcher. Best oh shit, he says, And anyway, I just went with the inherent absurdity of the scene. Ran you're talking to a man who loved the Evil Dead too.
Speaker 3: I would love to know a little bit about some of your writing projects, because I know in twenty twenty two, if you're a fan of Brian Trenchard Smith, you are in for a treat, because there was both The Adventures in the B Movie trade and then I want to say that Alice through the Multiverse came out that same summer as well. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: It came out before b B before Okay? Ah, right, Alice through the Multiverse is a time tripping, paramorbal female driven adventure with the twenty year old history student whose psychological issues combined with maybe paramormal activity to cause her to bounce back and forth between her fifty century ancestor, who was the daughter of a rural executioner, and her present day self, a history student with mental health problems that is somehow caught up in an international assassination plot to which she was designated to be the patsy. It's conspiracy Fever Dream, It's Game of Thrones meets Jason Bourne on Freaky Friday. It's intended to be a page turner to make you wonder what's going to happen next to and it has a sort of ecological message. So my stuff occasionally I plant seeds with my personal messages, reject authoritarian regimes, my turkey shoot and watch dead End, drive in and beware of the post economic breakdown future and anyway, so that there's a a promotion of econological themes and a little no gretit to berg one character. There's all that wrapped up in a nice genre cocktail. Alice through the Multiverse Really have to Pay eighteen dollars to get it as a paperback, but for some it's a rewarding read. And I really always wanted it to be a movie or to be a streaming series, and this girl's adventures in both time zones will, I think be a really interesting way to ventilate contemporary issues, feminist issues, issues of toxic maxculinity, of political corruption, of the manipulation of media, and all sorts of things which actually went on just as much at the time of Alice the Executioner's daughter in fifteen to fifty four and Jane, who is living today. Anyway, intrigued readers have a go at Alice with the multi verse, and maybe one of you is an aspiring film producer. I'll actually bring it to the small screen. It's a story that should I've mapped it out to be in ten episodes. I've done a screenplay. I've mapped it out in ten episodes, and it could go to a second season obviously anyway, So yeah, I do write these things. I've written my version of the true story of Richard the Third, which is basically the case for defense in the trial of Richard the Third for the murder of the Princess of the Tower which he was not guilty, and my screenplay and what I think could be adapted out of it is like a four part dramatized documentary series that proved his would I suppose to use the Scottish term not proven whether you would ever get not guilty, you might get not proven. But I think it's convincing historical evidence that Richard didn't do it. More likely it was Buckingham who had the request, with the commitment, with the agreement of Himry Tudor, to whom it was the most beneficial get those princes out of the way Lake Richard. Anyway, that's one of my writing projects currently. I writing My Father's War, which is non fiction and about my father's Air Force career and trying to put what the greatest generation did into perspective in the light of the fact that they were certainly my British Britain was well basically a beneficiary of colonialism. So now colonialism is a dirty word and with some justification, but we shouldn't necessarily consider that those that supported the British Empire necessarily were bad people and they were just following the ideology they would be taught. So I'm trying to put a balanced picture of people who performed extraordinary. The greatest generation effectively saved the world from fascism, and the greatest generation is needed again anyway, So I'm writing about that as a in fact, you can if it's on my website. It's a work in progress, so I don't let any people know that, but occasionally i'd let somebody know and if they want to give me any feedback. I'm not sure what I will eventually do it that. I guess I will publish it, but it could also be a documentary anyway, if you care to, you can access it through my website. It's latest my father's waarly. I'm still dealing with nineteen fifty two to nineteen fifty five, and then I need to do a conclusion and I need more research as to my father's involvement in the sex at that time, and which obviously there is very at all information available, but I know what he told me, and I'm trying to get a bit more documentation. Anyway. That's all work in progress, but I think that's possibly all that I can do now at seventy eight. They're not going to allow me fifty man crew again. Much. They're much fun than that would be. I could shoot several horror movies on my property. Every angle is a jabman. Okay, lovely to talk to you. Happy to talk to you another time and let me know how it goes.
Speaker 8: I studied your file, rig I can make it all go away. Sleep now when you wake. All you gotta do is play Turkey shoots the game and you were the turkey.
Speaker 5: Just who is our new turkey?
Speaker 4: He's Rick Tyler, just freest former Navy seal Courk Marshalls three years ago for massacring women and children Navy Seals Marine for pussy a Hurrah.
Speaker 16: The game has three levels, and hidden in each level is this box. Open all three boxes you win your freedom, run out of time, and you're eliminated. Eliminated sounds a lot nicer than dead, but that's what we're talking about. Level one has four shooters, but double that amount introduced each level.
Speaker 8: Their job is to hunt and kill you. Of course, you can return the.
Speaker 2: Favor all you see it.
Speaker 17: I can tell you things you don't remember.
Speaker 1: You can't kill those kids, your friend.
Speaker 6: It is imperative to the security of this nation that Rick Tyler will be silent.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, you are game changing. Rick, the audience love you.
Speaker 17: You realize he's planned this whole thing. He wants me to get to it. Hold on, I'll see you on the next level.
Speaker 8: It's game.
Speaker 3: All right, We're back and we were talking about Turkey Shoot. And as I always say, any good movie deserves a really bad remake, let's talk about Elimination Game aka Turkey Shoot aka most Extreme Elimination Challenge. It is possibly one of the poorest directed, edited, acted, and shot films that I've seen in a long damn time. Though I know Andrew, you messaged me off show and told me how much you enjoyed watching this, And you know I don't blame you. I'm not going to cast dispersions on your taste level here.
Speaker 1: Yes, as I refer to a Turkey Shit, really that two thousand and there's very few times Mic where I think ill of you, but making me waste an hour of my heart, I'm never going to get back in my life watching the two thousand and fourteen version of Turkey Shoot or Turkey Shit is one of them, absolutely one of them.
Speaker 3: And then did you watch this movie?
Speaker 5: I feel bad now because you made you didn't May I guess you didn't make you were like Andrew, I have a mutant wolf man and a dandy. It's like a dance that will come for you if you don't watch this. I couldn't do it. I'm sorry. I like you and I've potted together for how many years now fifty out at the weird Eyelanders. But I couldn't do it. I'm sorry. I couldn't. I couldn't do it. It's like it's like when it was like when Chris or beloved Christatue. Our good friend asked me if I wanted to watch the Indian like the Bollywood version of Forrest Come. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't do it. I have limits, and that was remaking this film. And then just what I saw was it. I did entertain the idea of doing it. Okay, I'm gonna Woosie, but I farly I am good.
Speaker 1: But what you sign hither is that there's some things you won't do, oh one.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. I don't have many. I'dn't have many, love it's but this, I just this was one of them. And also why that's the thing when you see a shitty remake, Why.
Speaker 3: And Apparently the makers of this were really big fans of the original because they got back some of the actors from the original, including Roger Ward. But even the woman that played Jennifer's back in it. I think she's like the President or something.
Speaker 1: The President. She plays the President, President Shila Faw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just they got her, put her in front of a green screen and just said go nuts. Because this movie is so poorly directed. I just want to talk about one scene, one scene in particular. I went back and I rewatched it today just to make sure that I wasn't seeing things, and it was really about what I wasn't seeing. There's a moment in the film where Dominic Purcell, who plays our main character, and it's just the one character. There's not three characters going on here or five. Even when it comes to the Turkey shoot. He is in the shower. Yay, you know, very buff man looks fantastic. Dominic Purcell is pretty handsome guy, terrific.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 3: He's in the shower and he's looking straight ahead and then cut to a guy who is it. The lighting is the exact same, it's this blue light and he is facing to the left, and then they cut back to Dominic Purcell, and I'm like, is he looking at this other guy? Where is this other guy? And then they cut back to the other guy again and it looks like he's got a knife in his hand, and I'm just like, does he want to fuck Dominic Purcell? Like are they in the shower together? Like what is happening here? And they kept going back and forth between these guys. Finally, finally they do a shot where you realize that this guy is actually on the wall opposite of the shower, like around the corner, waiting to sneak in and kill Dominic Purcell, after they've had all of these looks between them, because Purcell's staring straight ahead and I'm just like, it looks like he's looking at this dude, and it looks like the dude's looking at Purcell, and I'm just like, Okay, are they going to fuck now or what? And no, it's it's a kill rather than a fuck with this, and I'm just like, did I really just see that? Was that put together so poorly that you think that these two characters are in the same room when they're not. Yes, the answer is yes. You get to see Roger Ward's head explode a few times you get to see, God, it just looks so awful. There's a gentleman who's from The Meg one of my favorite films, who I thought he was fucking Kevin Sorbo when I saw this the first time because he looked so bad. And the movie is bizarre because first off, it starts ripping off blatantly the Running Man, because all of this stuff is being televised, which I think is pretty funny because I want to say, there's even a line about like how secret they want to keep stuff. Well, here, Turkey Shoot is the big game show like The Running Man, and then eventually Purcell escapes from the island or whatever, and then it suddenly becomes the Milliams game, which we've talked about actually on our Running Man episode, which is hunting people inside of a city. It's kind of Tenth Victim esque. But all of these movies, I'm saying, every single one that I've talked about, is so much better than Elimination Game, which just it looks fucking cheap. I mean, the graphics for Turkey Shoot are decent. But then also tob was not doing me any favors because every time they would break for a commercial for Turkey Shoot the movie. They weren't doing the commercial breaks and to be the channel. So it was bizarre because I would get commercial breaks in the show, in the movie, and then I would get a commercial break like five minutes later, and I'm like, it was very, very poorly timed, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: This is I've messed out.
Speaker 1: Oh you've dodged a massive bullet, shitty reality TV aesthetic, nasty, ugly facile. It actually made no sense. The plot made no sense to me. And it's actually hard to fuck up a people hunting people film, I think, because it's basically fairly simple, and even the crappest people hunting people films makes sense because you've got someone who's been hunted by a group of people. But this sort of this was actually sort of more. I mean, because there's two types of those films. I suppose there's the people hunting people film, where you've got a bunch of rich, weirdos alah, the original Turkey Shoot are hunting people for for sadistic pleasure, you know. But or then you've got what I sort of call murder game films, which are films which are about people who organize these hunting games as a sort of and then televised them to a sort of passive audience as a sort of way of passive pacify their rebellious instincts. So this was sort of more a murder game film than a sort of murder than a people hunting people film, I suppose because it was being him. The Turkey Shoot was being televised for the masses and was apparently the highest rating television show in the world, and it just got higher and higher ratings as Rick Taylor disgraced former Navy seal.
Speaker 3: The Butcher of Bakersfield.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Dominic for who the fuck is Dominic Purcell.
Speaker 3: He is mostly known for being Dracula Blade three and being the guy who was stuck in prison during Olive prison break, well prison break until they broke out of the prison, and then the show just fizzled. Like nobody's business.
Speaker 1: Everyone deserves paycheck, everyone's got to make a living. I don't want to, I certainly don't want to criticize anything to do with any of the Three Blade films, but he was terrible. It was terrible. It made no sense. It all the ram rob the Marksmen that ridiculous character ram rob them. Why didn't you just call him, you know, call him anal intercourse or something like that.
Speaker 4: What do you what do you know?
Speaker 1: Don't bother coding it, just come out and say it all the other shitty characters. I think it's also you can always tell when a film is going to be crap when they call something neo neo Alcatraz, which was this sort of I suppose a bit of a nod to the Guantanamo Bay ABU Gray. It looked ugly. It was just it was just terrible on every level.
Speaker 3: They tried to sully the good name of Charlie Verick because Anthony Ganen is back as President Charles Verick. I'm just like, for fox sake, guys, what really breaks my heart is so this was directed by John Hewitt, written by Belinda McClory, who also is in it. She's his handler. And Melinda Belinda McClory, she was switched in the Matrix and I love her character, but not in this, not in this.
Speaker 1: I got to say, it really annoyed me the way that everyone spoke in American accidents, even when they were you know, they were all astraight, and it didn't. It didn't work, I thought, Belinda McClory.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She was in a film, a really weird Melbourne sort of cereal cop cop investigating a serial killer film called red Ball. Oh.
Speaker 3: I remember red Ball in.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety nine that John Hewitt did. John Hewett also did this version of Turkey Shoot that we're ragging on at the moment. She was in the Matrix film. She was in two really good Australian true crime shows in the nineties, one called Janus and one called Phoenix. I really like her. I think she's really good and she was really good in Red Ball, and I actually quite liked red Ball, even though I didn't think it completely worked, but I liked what it was trying to try and do so and to see her reduced to playing some weird faux American handler of discrossed former military Navy seal Rick Tyler was just a bit sad. Actually.
Speaker 3: She was also in one called The Book of Revelation, which we're actually going to cover next year.
Speaker 1: What's that I haven't heard of that.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting one. It's an erratic mystery. Basically, these women I think they kidnap.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Book of Revelite. Yes, yes, they kidnap a guy and sexually abuse him and release him. I've never seen that. I've never seen that film. I've got it on DVD somewhere, I must. Yes, and the Kokonos.
Speaker 3: I remember watching that years and years ago for an article I was writing and actually really liking it, so I threw it down the schedule for Dirty December twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Dirty, You're theming in months now? I like that even more so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I just was like, well, we got Conspirators of Pleasure and Story of Oh. I'm like, yeah, these are all going in one area please, and then it'll be a very fun November for me next year, so I don't have to you know, I'll be a missed family holidays, but having a much better time watching these movies.
Speaker 5: Also, do you think the movie would have been better if they just called the character anal intercourse? The marts it.
Speaker 1: Says, what was it trying to be? Just a sort of shitty reality TV film. I don't know it lacked any of the final I know it's strange to sort of say that Turkeys. The original Turkey shot has some finesse and some playfulness to it. But it does, and it's like, let's take all that out.
Speaker 3: There was a movie with Steve Austin and Vinnie Jones called The Condemned. It was another people hunting people movie. I went to see that piece of shit at the movie theater. It was ten times to one hundred times better than an elimination game. And like I made that joke about most extreme elimination challenge. When you call it elimination game, I picture two guys on toilets staring at each other and trying to shit faster. The new reality show.
Speaker 1: Would have been a better film.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I hope there's not fanfic for that.
Speaker 1: Just don't see it. Don't waste your time. Watch something, Go and watch, Go and rewatch something, Go and do so, go and don't do Just go read a book over a walk, tell your partner you love them, do something else, but don't watch this film. That's my that's sorry, And I'm glad that Brian Trench and Smith may Adola as I think he was an executive producer. Don't want to criticize that, but just an absolute pace of staving shit.
Speaker 3: We're going to take another break and play a preview for next week's show. Right after these brief messages, thank you for.
Speaker 5: Agreeing to make this documentary. Mnis Rucker Rouse with Trucker.
Speaker 3: That's my wife, Darlene.
Speaker 4: She's a real looker, ain't she? What is your contribution to society as Truckers? A contribution to society? Twenty eight years of my life. I've been working on this poetry.
Speaker 5: It's lonely up there on the road.
Speaker 4: You gotta love where you can.
Speaker 3: I love Darlene.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying you don't love your wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to being on the road.
Speaker 4: Hellone, it looks a lot lacker because Darling's much pretty.
Speaker 9: Your wife not doing it for you anymore?
Speaker 4: Do you want to show you how I do it?
Speaker 5: Do you think you're like your masterpiece when you're Jonathan master Piece?
Speaker 1: I like the ring of that.
Speaker 4: Pay attention.
Speaker 5: You're not taking advantage of her, are you sure?
Speaker 2: Rucker?
Speaker 5: Trucker?
Speaker 3: That's right. We'll be back next week when they look at the film. Rucker. Until then, I want to thank this week's co host Andrew and Heather. Heather, what is the latest with you, ma'am?
Speaker 5: I actually, since we were talking about Austria and cinema, I'm going to mention an essay I did somewhat recently for the Blu Ray release of Midnight Spares and if I let's see if you're up for there, the nineteen eighty three Australian film directed by Quentin Masters, and it is a wild ride that is wild as Turkey shared, but it's a great it's a great film and it has David arc here, so I feel like this is David Argue, a heavy keeps lotting he is in this film, as in Bruce Spence. They're side characters, but they are phenomenal. Bruce Spence of Chris is another one of those guys. It's just like a gift and everything. So it's available on Vinegar Syndrome. So check that out and you read my little essay for it as well. But in the meantime, to keep up with all of my sundry activities, you could go to my link treelinktree dot com, Forward, Slash, Mondo, Heather and Andrew.
Speaker 3: What's going on in your world, sir?
Speaker 1: You know I'm rolling a law. I have a new book out which I've co edited with New York critic Sam Degan, Revolution and thirty five Millimeter political violence and resistance in cinema From the Art House to the grind House nineteen sixty and nineteen ninety. And that book is out through PM Press or it's wheeling its way out to the world. I believe pre orders are going out. Mike, you have an essay in US.
Speaker 3: Not only do I have an essay, and I've got the cop I've got the book right here.
Speaker 1: So you might want to pick that up. Otherwise you can if you want to hear my read my various thoughts on things. I have a sub stack under my name Andrew Netty, which you can you can subscribe to or not, It's up to you.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much folks for being on the show. Thanks to everybody for listening. If you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth, check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at Weirdingmaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com slash Projection Booth. Every donation we get helps the Projection Booth take over the world.
Speaker 2: All deviates assemble immediately in center compounds. All deviates assemble immediately in center compound.
Speaker 9: All deviates assemble immediately in center compounds, all debates