Speaker 1: The Mandy Connall Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and Injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connelly, Dona.
Speaker 3: Ninem God wait to saday him the ny US through Fred Mandy Connell where sad Day, Welcome.
Speaker 4: Local, Welcome to a Friday edition to the show. I'm your host for the next three hours. Mandy Connall joined today for at least are you with me the whole show or part of the show. Whole show? Yay, Grant tis back with us for the full three hours and before we jump into the blog because mainly got a lot of stuff coming up. If you don't listen to Ross's show right before mine, and why wouldn't you, I mean, it's awesome. But at the end of his show every Friday he does a version of name that Tune, and today I got to choose the song. And because my husband started in rock radio when he was fifteen, back in nineteen seventy late seventies, some point, his his depth of knowledge about classic rock is far deeper and wider than mine. So I enlisted his help. I said, okay, hey, what are we doing here? And he found five songs, a few of them I had never even heard of, Like, even after he told me what the songs are, I'm like, I got nothing. But he helped me choose today's song, which was walk on the Wildside by Lou Reed. Stumped Grant but did not stump Ross, so that was good because Ross never wins. So, you know, I wanted to throw on the bone. But then a listener sent a text specific to Chuck, so I thought I would just call Chuck, my husband and ask him the questions about this. Hello, dear, Hello. Okay.
Speaker 5: You know in my it was nineteen seventy eight and since then, every time anybody on the air has ever called me, I'm like, okay, what's going on because some of these are not gone. Well, so I have no idea why you're calling.
Speaker 4: I just heard No this is easy, Yeah, this is easy.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's not easy at all to me. The guy sent me this text message, Mandy, how deep does Chuck go? Phason stop with camel deep? I don't even know what that means? What phason stop with camel deep?
Speaker 5: What is that? That sounds familiar?
Speaker 4: Now I'm gonna look it up. So obviously not stop with camel Okay, let's see here phase, stop with Camel the miraculous hump returns from the Moonson.
Speaker 5: Okay, that sounds familiar.
Speaker 4: Bit I stop with cambell Is. Apparently the band See that's what I thought, But they didn't jar did they know? Because the rule is that these songs have to chart at some point.
Speaker 5: See I never knew that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, okay, how about this one from the same texture. How about this one Sufficiently Breathless by Captain Beyond.
Speaker 5: I think he was part of the Doctor Demento show at one point. Captain Beyond, If that's the same guy, I'm maybe wrong, So don't don't call me the listener. Maybe going to know you idiots.
Speaker 4: It's an American rock supergroup formed in Los Angeles in nineteen seventy one, consisting of Deep Purple singer Rod Evans, former Johnny Winter drummer Bobby Caldwell, former Iron Butterfly guitarist Larry Reinhart, and former Iron Butterfly bassist Lee Dorman.
Speaker 5: Yes, I had that confused with something else. I know what he's talking about. That now you know what's really? What's what's really. I'm the youngest of sixth first off.
Speaker 6: And my oldest brother is sixteen years older than me. So he listened to to do Wop, you know, because I was born in sixty four and so I and my dad was, you know, a World War two vet. So he's listening to Glenn Miller.
Speaker 5: I love it all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's and you know as well as I do.
Speaker 5: You can walk in the house and they'll be Gregorian chant on. I don't care.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's just I like, oh, it's it's Fa Zone. Fa Zone is the name of the song.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, yeah, And I would have never thought of that one mean, I wouldn't have remembered that.
Speaker 4: Just wait, wait a minute, Chuck, I just realized that forgot something. Hey, Grant, it's Friday. That means all together now woo okay, sorry, Texter, please ask check about the Flying Burrito Brothers. Everybody knows about the Flying Burrito Brothers.
Speaker 5: So the Flying Burrito Brothers used to play a bar in my hometown that you've been to and Grant has been to, called the Union. And then they had friends in a band called the Bogus Brothers, of course, and if you you can look up the Bogus Brothers, I mean they have a I think they have a Wikipedia pagey, what did they go.
Speaker 4: Eat at the burrito Buggy?
Speaker 5: Let's see if you were taking my thunder there. That was prior to the burrito Buggy. Now that's when the bagel Buggy was.
Speaker 4: Oh, the bagel Buggy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was the seventies.
Speaker 4: This is what you guys miss when you don't go to Athens, Ohio screaming at the.
Speaker 5: At the uh at the radio right now because he went to OU and he knows what all this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, all right, that's all I wanted. I just wanted to see if you know what those things were. So I actually feel better that you didn't, because I sure didn't.
Speaker 5: Well, I know what they are. I just would have never pulled him out, is remember, and once you sounded like okay, I remember that, but you know it wasn't something that was fresh in my mind.
Speaker 6: All right, and Ross Scott it in Wait a.
Speaker 5: Minute here you you Ross did get it?
Speaker 4: Yes, he did. How how much of the interest is one point two seconds? He got it?
Speaker 5: Okay? Well, yeah, I was playing youero point eight seconds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, but I have to make it over one second to the first row.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know.
Speaker 6: Once again he owes me.
Speaker 4: All right, my friend.
Speaker 5: I love you, have a great day. I look.
Speaker 4: Okay, now we're going to do the blog. Go to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look for the headline that says nine to twenty seven twenty four blog a deep dive on ranked choice voting with Kent theory. Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within Anything.
Speaker 2: Wants in Office, Happened Iragon, All Ships in Time?
Speaker 4: That's as Plant Today and the blog The people who want to ban a Slaughterhouse are on today This as the slaughterhouse is upgrading after an EPA fine, Let's do a deep dive on ranked choice voting comedian Matthew Brossard Today at two thirty a Colorado jove, which leaves the morons in charge of the GOP. The Abs and Nuggets are back on TV Aurora PD looking for another known gang member. What happens when you stand up to the DPS mob. The slum lords are continuing to slum lord. Why is RTD hiding? Why they fired the chief Caraveo's lying about Evans's positions. C dot doesn't care if we want to drive. The Independence Institute has released their voter Guide. An alleged journalist dosed JD vance scrolling. Yes, there were Feds there on January sixth. Inflation is almost at two percent. Yes, Democrats want to weaponize DOJ Dave Maggie Smith has passed away. Men share the realities of being divorced. You really should go to Japan and South Korea with US stem cell treatments. Cured type one diabetes, the funniest wildlife photos of the year. Yahoo unleashes on the un a lovely video about people using wheelchairs. Those are the headlines on the blog at Mandy's blog dot com.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 4: I've got a lot of stuff on the blog today and we've got three guests coming up. The first guess Mandy Less blogmore Chuck, y'all. I have to live with him, and if he gets too famous, he will become insufferable. And our relationship only has room for one person who is insufferable because of a minor level of fame, and that is me.
Speaker 7: If you need two and a half hours of Chuck, go listen to my episode of the podcast for Granted podcast with Chuck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Grant did a whole interview with him. So there you go there, you go today, we are going to hear from Pro Animal Future. They are the organization that is running the slaughterhouse band that is trying to shut down a slaughterhouse in Denver, and ultimately it's about making a seat less meat. That is the end result. Making as eat no meat would be the end perfect result. But we're going to talk about this. I did let them know that I am against this measure, but we're gonna let them come on and have a converse about it, and maybe they will be able to convince some of you, whereas they will not be able to convince me. So that's where we're going to be there. But it's going to be a respectful conversation. It'll be interesting and you know, maybe you learn something. We also have Kent theory coming on. I told you when I was talking about ranked choice voting the other day and I was like, I've been going back and forth and back and forth, and I have concerns, and I think my concerns are valid, but I can't figure out if there are long term concerns or short term concerns. And so Kent theory is part of the group that is behind this ranked choice voting valid initiative. So we're going to talk to Kent and I'm excited to have a conversation with him about that and we'll hopefully get all of your questions answered. Then at two thirty, comedian Matthew Brissard is coming in. I'm excited about that. He's very funny. I accidentally stumbled onto him because of an algorithm, like you know, push by YouTube, and he's very, very funny, and he reminds me of all the guys that I knew at the country club when I was growing up, like just that, but in a good way, in a very funny, very funny way. So I put a video of his on the blog today and if you want to see what he's about, he's playing at Comedy Works this weekend, so you can do that. So yesterday, right before I came in the came on the show yesterday, there was a ruling that was announced that a judge had decided the meeting that was held to unseat Dave Williams as the disastrous chairman of the GOP was found to be illegal or illegitimate rather because it did not have enough members of the Central Committee to meet the supermajority standard. And that means that Dave Williams is going to stay in charge of the Colorado GOP. So as I was listening to the news story, I went online to the Secretary of State's office and actually did change my voter registration to unaffiliated. I successfully did it. I got a confirmation from the Secretary of State's office. So I am out, they say, and here's the reason. I don't know what else to do. I don't have any desire to engage with the people who are keeping this man in power because they don't care about winning. And here's what's going to happen. Here's exactly what's going to happen. When a Republican loses a winnable race that that Republican should have won in this state. David Williams is going to turn around and say, if only those bad Republicans hadn't tried to upset us, we would have focused like a laser on getting everyone elected. All that man is doing is looting the party resources and what else. He's not raising money, he's not supporting the candidatestead of running. He's not fielding candidates for every race. There are multiple races across the state where there's not even a Republican candidate. There were no vacancy committee meetings. These are all functions of the Colorado State Party, the one that he allegedly has been leading, and the fundraising that is happening is somehow being funneled back into his pocket, either through his consulting firm, which I'd love to see exactly what they're consulting on. As chairman at the GP, who are you consulting with? You're consulting with yourself and then drifting off of donations to the Republican Party to pay yourself and he's taking an eight thousand dollars a month salary. I guess now, I don't know. Nobody knows. Well, why don't you look at the Expenditure Committee, the expenditures that have been reported, and if you're a Republican who's given money to that party, I don't even understand how that's okay with you. I really don't. You're being stolen from In my worldview, they are taking your money and they are using it for their own gain. They are not using it to help Republicans get elected. They've done nothing but discourage people wanting to be a part of the party. So I'm obliging them.
Speaker 8: I'm out.
Speaker 4: I do realize this means I have permanently missed my opportunity to be on the Rhino Wall of Shame because now I'm no longer a publican in name at all. So I missed that window that's slam shut, and I'm devastated, just devastated.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mandy, I have to laugh at you infants who think lou Reed is classic rock. Maybe early club music, but classic rock it ain't. But Steve, it charted on the rock charts, it played on rock radio, so that means it fits into the category that Ross set forward. Mandy. The divorce men's stories are sad. We're gonna get to this later, but most of them come across as guys that never stood up from themselves in their relationships. Yeah maybe maybe maybe, Mandy, Thank you and check for the name of that tune. Song took me back to high school nineteen seventy two and seventy three. When the album came out. We had our fiftieth high school reunion last weekend. Oh to be young again, you know you guys. Funny weird story. So I just realized I graduated in nineteen eighty seven. Okay, so my daughter is going to graduate from high school exactly forty years later, because I was almost forty when I had her, and I was thinking to myself, Wow, when my daughter graduates from high school, that is going to be my fortieth class reunion. And I had this flashback moment where I was in a restaurant in my hometown with a bunch of my friends and we were just having dinner and I was in college. I think when this happened, I was old enough to have driven there and be paying for my own meal. And a group of people came in and to us, they just looked like a bunch of old people, and they were having a great time and just causing a ruckus and you know, just really being kind of funny. And I remember thinking, God, those old people are out of control. And then I remember learning that they were in town for their fortieth class reunion, and I thought to myself, my god, they're ancient. They're ancient. And then I really was kind of judgy because they were acting so silly and just having a great time that I was like, they should be they should act better than that. You know, they're old, they're elderly, grand elderly. And then I realized to myself, that's exactly how I'm gonna be with my friends when I go back for my four year class reunion. I'm gonna be the exact same way. Because you get back together with your friends from high school and you start reminiscing about the stuff you guys did, and then you reckon. You sort of wonder that you're not dead or paralyzed, but then you're just you kind of get taken back in time. I just remember being very judgy about that. I mean very judgy, very Texter Mandy. By resigning from the Colorado Republican Party, are you missing the opportunity to be part of a solution? Double edged sword? I know, here's the issue. The issue is not just with Dave Williams. It's really not. It's with the willingness enough members of the Central Committee to go along with what this fool wants. That demonstrates to me that there's enough of them in power positions that whatever I tried to do would immediately be shouted down, and so I'd rather sit on the outside. I actually think the only saving grace for this state from this point forward is going to be in independent candidates that have the money to get the word out and build up support initially and can run at you know, as a center right person. That's the only checker balance we're going to have on the progressive left in Colorado, because the Republican Party is just done. It's done, and you've essentially thrown your weight and your support behind a guy who has failed at every metric at his job, every single metric. Raise money, nope, Support candidates, nope. Create vacancy committees to get candidates for races, nope. Oh, let's look at the positive column. Griff didn't take it all the money that you've actually managed to rings, which is almost nothing. Check. So I don't have anything in common with the Colorado Republican Party at all, not even a little bit. Mandy, I'm heading to Peblo for a rivalry high school football game. I know the class of eighty four is celebrating their fortieth reunion this weekend. I think that's a good idea, like making your big class reunions the same weekend as homecoming or something like that. That would be really fun. Ours are always in the summer, and y'all, I cannot do Florida in the summer anymore. I can't, jeez, Louise, it's hotter than blazes there. By the way, everyone in my immediate sphere of family and friends is okay from the hurricane. Some of them had some significant damage to their homes, but otherwise everybody's all right. And they did say, and I quote, it was scary as hell, so yeah, at least that one was moving faster. Mandy was the judge a Democrat sabotaging the party, y'all? At this point, I think Dave Williams is a Democrat. I really believe. If I'm the Democratic Party and I'm some Machiavellian version of the Democratic Party, I am finding a guy like Dave Williams who's charismatic enough to get a bunch of people to follow him, even if he's an idiot, right, and then I'm gonna launch him into a political career and into a leadership position in the party and just watch him burn it all down. You won't even have to actually mount a campaign. Do you just let the Republicans just just destroy themselves, absolutely destroy themselves. Mandy, You judge, all you do is judge, hell, You to hell to hell, you judge people on the type of car they drive, You're just an ankle that's gonna leave a mark.
Speaker 10: Texter.
Speaker 4: I'm well thought out, stinger. You just fired off right there, go back and read it again and you're yes, I judge. Here's the thing, y'all, you judge too. I'm just open about it. Everybody has their moments of judgment, right, everybody does. And by the way, I don't judge people on the kind of car they have, unless you're a super driver, in which you're horrible, I will judge you. There you go. In any case, Mandy, I'm inspired by you to do likewise changing my party affiliation. Is there any downside in not being a registered Republican that I'm not considering now that I can still vote in the primary? No, because if you are unaffiliated in Colorado, you get both ballots. You get a Democratic ballot, you get a Republican ballot. You only fill out one, so you can continue to vote in the Republican primary, as I plan to do, unless ranked choice voting passes, in which case all of this will turn into something much much different. And when we get back, we are going to have the first of what I hope to be many in the next couple of weeks discussions about various platform or excuse me, ballot and ititiatives. And coming up next, we've got Natalie with Pro Animal Future coming on. She is going to she is going to try and argue that Denver needs to shut down a slaughterhouse. And I'm looking forward to the conversation and we'll see if she convinces anyone in this audience. We shall see right after this. Natalie Fulton, she works with Pro Animal Future and they have two ballot initiatives on the ballot in Denver. One is Initiative three TOHO eight, and that would ban the use of fur from animals that are solely grown for the purpose of fur. Is that correct, Natalie, Oh, hang on, let grant turn your microphone. I'll go ahead.
Speaker 11: That's correct. There's some other exemptions as well. Okay, that's the gist of it.
Speaker 4: And then three oh nine would close a slaughterhouse that has been operating in Denver for a very long time, also correct.
Speaker 11: Also correct, for about seventy years. They have been polluting the city.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you to tell us a little bit about Pro Animal Future to start, so we know where you're coming from totally.
Speaker 11: So I want to start by explaining the concept of agricultural exceptionalism, which is the romanticized idea of animal farming that many people share. When we're kids, were taught old Nick Donald, head of Farm, that farmed animals have happy lives and nice deaths. This could not be further from the truth. Over ninety nine percent of animal products come from factory farms, where animals are confined on deplorable and deplorable conditions, They're denied their natural behaviors, and they're slaughtered at a small fraction of their natural lifespan. The presidential debate revealed massive inconsistencies in the way society views animals. We were horrified by the idea of eating dogs and eating cats, but scientific evidence has confirmed that the animals we eat are just as emotionally complex as the animals we love at home. We think it's time to update our morality along with that knowledge and evolve away from treating animals as objects.
Speaker 4: So ultimately, the goal of pro animal future is to have no one eat meat.
Speaker 6: That is not the goal.
Speaker 11: Our nearby goal for the next few decades is to ban factory farming in the United States. As far as eating meat, I would love to see a world where no animals are harmed for meat. The first time I went to a slaughterhouse was a pig facility in Michigan, and I watched as workers beat the pigs off the trucks they forced them inside, and then I heard the screams of pigs as they were killed in gas chambers. And I think some people could hear that story and think, you know, maybe there's just a better way to do it, And some people would think we should stop doing this completely. But the cool thing about our measures is that it's a step in the right direction for both groups, for anyone who thinks that industrialized slaughter is bad, or for anyone who thinks that we should completely move away from it. We're tackling at the factory farming level right now.
Speaker 4: So philosophically, I am on the other side of this issue. I am a carnivore. I think that our teeth structure, in our eyeplacement shows that we are predators, and therefore we are sort of biologically programmed to eat meat. And I too, have also been to a slaughterhouse. When I was ten, my dad wanted us to understand what the cycle of life was for our food. I lived in a rural area. He never wanted me to think my meat came from the grocery store, right. He always wanted us to have that connection. That's great. I also knew a lot of farmers and ranchers growing up, So I knew these people and I knew the kind of people that they were, and I was on their farms and I saw how they treated their cows, and it was a much different experience than the one you describe. I'm not saying that you're what you're saying is wrong, because I am aware that there are bad actors in every industry, including farming.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, and kind of to speak to that. Over the last couple decades, animal farming has really consolidated. The average slaughterhouse is double the size that it was in nineteen eighty. These big, massive corporations have put a lot of the small farmers out of business. But even if an animal has a great life on a small farm, they're still going to be slaughtered at a small fraction of the natural lifespan. What if I had a dog and I said, I'm going to give him a great life for six months and then send him to a slaughterhouse. Would you support that?
Speaker 4: No, that's a ridiculous assertion, because the only reason that those exist is for food. We would not have the numbers of herds, we would not have the heads of cattle if we did not use them for food or get milk from them to use for food. So to say I'm going to have a pet that its purpose is much different than that of an animal, to make that comparison to me is in our culture a little bit ridiculous.
Speaker 11: I want to push back because there are many cultures where they do breed dogs just to eat that.
Speaker 4: Sure, I think ogriculture. Sure.
Speaker 11: Do you think culture is a good barometer for morality or should we look at scientific evidence? You know, there was a time in our culture where men had complete dominance over women. You and me wouldn't be allowed to be working the jobs that we have now if we just looked at culture to determine our morality. I'm saying that culture should change based on a new understanding of the world. The agriculture revolution was ten thousand years ago. Our ancestors didn't know what we know about animal sentience and behavior. They also didn't know that we can be healthy without doing this, And now that we do know of that stuff, do you think it's time to evolve with the times.
Speaker 4: I think it should be a matter of personal choice, and I think the agenda behind this, quite frankly, is to make meat so expensive by shutting down the available slaughterhouses in our area, that it becomes out of reach by design for a lot of people.
Speaker 11: Animal agriculture receives billions of dollars in government subsidies every single year. Without this government support, animal products would cost two to four times more than they currently do. A big mac would be thirteen dollars. This industry is already supported by the government. The average dairy farm hasn't been profitable. It's only been profitable for two years in the last twenty years because of all the government support that they get. The only reason so many people eat meat is because it's artificially lowered, and our measures would only affect right now the cost of lamb, which is already a premium meat that low income people cannot afford.
Speaker 4: So stee but that's a very that's a very nanny state answer, because ultimately you're saying we've already priced it out of the market. The nanty state is telling other people the choices they should make. Yeah, that's what you're trying to set up, though. That's the endgame is to make it impossible for more people to be able to afford a premium meat. That's the end game here.
Speaker 11: The endgame is to eliminate the factory farming system. But let me ask you this. We agree that humans should have a choice, should animals not have a choice?
Speaker 4: And humans on the same level, on the same level.
Speaker 11: I don't have to because it's not the choice between humans and animals. I put pigs, chickens, and cows at the same level as dogs and cats because that's what the scientific evidence shows. Do you think that we should take what they want into account?
Speaker 4: You know, here's the thing about that specifically. I have a dog. I love my dog. I absolutely love my dog. But if I were starving, I would eat my dog for the same say it is, I mean, it's like.
Speaker 11: But I understand, but none of us is starving right now.
Speaker 4: Farms.
Speaker 11: We are trying to ban factory farms, but superior farms. The industrial slaughterhouse, the largest industrial lampslaughterhouse in the US, is the face of factory farming. Here in Denver. Industrial slaughterhouses and factory farms are part of the same supply chain. There are no factory farms in Denver. Since we're from here, we have a lot of local activists here, we wanted to run a campaign in Denver. So we're tackling the industrial slaughterhouse here because it's part of that same system.
Speaker 4: And what about the people that get tossed out of work who have already come out and said, look, they take really good care of us. We've been here for over a decade, and our jobs are going to go the jobs that we like.
Speaker 11: We included a provision in the legislation for the City of Denver to prioritize affected workers in their employment assistance program. But I do not think that we should trust the people who currently work there because they're mostly management. We should be asking the people who work on the kill floor. And we've interviewed former workers, and one former worker told us that the number one thing he wants people in Denver to know about is the animal cruelty. There was also a lawsuit in twenty twenty one where Muslim employees sued Superior Farms for racial and religious discrimination. They were called racial slurs over the intercom and that is unacceptable behavior.
Speaker 4: We should win eating from that lawsuit. What happened, it was settled. It was settled. So but do you think perhaps if that was settled, that situation has been fixed because the same slaughterhouse was just cited by the EPA for potential potential releases of ammonium gas and in response, they're paying a fine and they're going above and beyond what the EPA is doing and adding two hundred and fifty thousand dollars worth of redundancies to ensure that what didn't happen but the EPA said could would not happen.
Speaker 11: The EPA investigation actually showed that they were mishandling anhydrous ammonia, which is a very dangerous chemical. Superior Farms has claimed for the last year that they were doing everything correctly. This new report shows that they were.
Speaker 4: Lying about that.
Speaker 11: They're lying about that, why should we trust them about the other things?
Speaker 4: They say, Well, everybody who's being fined by the EPA is going to say they didn't do it. I mean, that's a pretty standard response. Nobody immediately capitulates.
Speaker 11: They said that they were mishandling the ammonia and now they're fixing it. So why were they claiming that they were doing everything correctly for the last year when this shows that's not the case. We also have the Clean Water Act violations which have been going on for over four years. But I want to go back to the jobs question. I think that we all have a line with animal cruelty. Let's say it we're nineteen seventy four and dog fighting was talking about being banned. Would you support keeping dog fighting?
Speaker 4: You keep throwing up in comparisons designed to evoke an emotional response instead of talking about the reality, which is this is a legal product which people want to consume. Your organization is trying to make it prohibitively expensive and then shut down the farming that makes meat affordable in the first place.
Speaker 11: So you're theaters uncomfortable with the way animals are treated on factory farms and its det waterhouses. They feel like it's a really hard choice to not eat meat because of the way our society is structured. That's why we're tackling this at a systemic issue. Forty nine percent of Americans want to ban factory farms.
Speaker 4: I follow up question too those people and if your meat costs double, would you still be in favor of banning it? I guarantee you that number would drop considerably.
Speaker 11: Do you think that it's acceptable for animals to be confined by the hundreds of thousands in sheds where twenty five percent of them die before they even reach the slaughterhouse.
Speaker 4: I buy my meat from a rancher that is doing things, cows grazing, things of that nature. I try to be a responsible consumer, but ultimately I have to trust other consumers to make those choices. I think that if you want to be a vegan and make animal rights at the center of your life, I think that's fantastic, absolutely fantastic. But when you start to try to put people out of work, you try to use violations from other different slaughterhouses in California, not then slaughterhouse, not use specifically in the news media. There's things going around that you're trying to use things in California.
Speaker 11: There's no evidence of us doing that. The one in California is the same company, and an investigation revealed lamps being kicked front around, suffering well before they died.
Speaker 4: But that hasn't happened here.
Speaker 11: We have evidence based on testimonials that there are many animal welfare violations at the plant in Denver. We don't have video evidence, but I don't see why it would be different. If it's the same company and there's so much worker testimonial corroborating that investigation.
Speaker 4: Well, perhaps go at it from that point of view, but I'm a firm no on both of these. Weginion to get to three eight.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 11: Notoriously cruel. They also confine wild animals for their entire lives, and every fall their bludgeon to death or gas to preserve the product. Over ninety percent of fur comes from fur factory farms. It's unnecessary animal cruelty. We have alternative materials, just like dogfighting is unnecessary entertainment. This is unnecessary animal cruelty, and we should evolve beyond it. Because you're right that humans are different from other animals. We have moral agency. We can make choices based on right and wrong and based on our understanding of the world. Now that we know that these animals are suffering massively in these places, it's time for us to evolve away from treating them like objects.
Speaker 4: Natalie, you are a fine advocate for your position.
Speaker 11: Thank you. You really are.
Speaker 4: You are a fine advocate. I still think you're wrong, but I think you are a fine advocate for your position, and I very much appreciate you coming in today to make your case. You might have changed someone's mind.
Speaker 7: You never know.
Speaker 4: We'll just see what happened. Just on the vote.
Speaker 11: Sing a little song for you before we are, but we're very late.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you know that song.
Speaker 11: Eight six seven five three oh nah yea. Iine vote yes. I'm three eight I'm three oh nah ye ie. Just so everyone can remember, vote yes for animals this November if you want to see a better future for everyone.
Speaker 4: That is Natalie Fulton with pro I'm sorry, pro animal future, Natalie, thank you. We'll be right batch. I have to say I really appreciate someone as passionate about what they're talking about as Natalie is, and I think she did a really good job representing the yes on three oh eight or three oh nine vote. The problem is is that you guys, I'm from a rural area. I grew up with the people who grew and raised cattle for food, and my own experience is far different. It's like the cattle ranchers here who get villified for daring to say, hey, I don't want new wolves to kill my cattle. They're vilified as somehow these horrible people, and I just I, you know, I know that there are horrible people who probably work in slaughterhouses, but not all people who work in slaughterhouses are horrible people. So it's very challenging. In addition, just for a moment, you guys, we have incisors and molars, which means that we are not just herbivores, we are omnivores. We are supposed to eat everything. Our eyes are in the front of our head, which means we are predators. We are not prey. So there's just little things. There's amino acids that you can only get from meat. And if you don't want to eat meat, if animals are the most centered part of your entire life, I say bully for you. Congratulations. I'm happy you have something that moves you in that way. But I had a steak last night, and I'm probably gonna have one tonight. You know, Hey, I'm just that's and I might have lamb because it sounds delicious now that we've been talking about. Just kidding, I actually got fish yesterday, a whole foods I'm having for dinner tonight. Just kidding. A lot of you are annoyed that they're trying to shut down a legal, private business, but that's how it works. If you want no one to be able to eat meat, the fastest way to do that is to make sure they can't afford meat. This text and then I got to take a break, Hey, Mandy. According to the Cato Institute Free Market think Take, most direct subsidies are for large producers of corn, soybean, wheat, cotton, and rice, not for livestock producers or fruit and vegetable growers. About one third of the nation's two million farms receive regular subsidies, although the ratio is higher for larger farms. Factory farming, not perfect, is what allows people to eat at reasonable costs. Exactly right, Texter, Thanks for sharing. We will be back.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connells Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell.
Speaker 9: Sat Nicey's great Then conn there is a sad thing.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show. I was trying to skip forward in time, but I would then miss my next guest who is joining me, Kent Theory, is one of the people behind the rank choice voting initiative here on the ballot. He's been Kent, You've been very busy over the last few years sort of reshaping how politics has been going. You were behind the ballot initiative to open the primaries. You've been behind other ballot initiatives that have that have really had a big impact on Colorado. We won't talk about the Allegory amendment right now, although I did already tell him I'm kind of mad at him about that one, because rank choice voting is something that I I have been very open on the show about vacillating.
Speaker 5: Back and forth.
Speaker 4: I sort of you know, and I kind of wanted to give you the opportunity to give a solid primmer on what this ballot initiative actually does, how our system would work if it passes, and then why we can get into the why we need to do this or we don't whatever after that, but let's start with what it actually does.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Well, thank you Mandy for shedding some light on this subject because it's so important. What it does is it establishes a very tidy, integrated, three step process step one and all candidate primary, everybody on one ballot and with their party affiliation number two. The top four advance from that all candidate primary. Step three you got to get you got to earn a majority of support, and we do that through ranked voting. So Step one, all candidate prime Mary all of us voters vote for one person.
Speaker 11: Step two.
Speaker 8: Four of those advanced, which creates tremendous diversity.
Speaker 12: You don't just get the fire left and fire right, but you get center right, and center left and maybe even center center. So you're giving much more choice to that third step, which is a general election where we say, hey, to become an elected official in Colorado, earn a majority of support, and rather than having a runoff election costing millions of dollars a month after the normal election like they do in many states, we would achieve it through ranked voting, which is something that already exists in sixty four political jurisdictions across America.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you to clarify what happens, because I think the primary ballot is easy to understand. You cast one vote on the primary ballot, and if your person is among the top four vote getters in that primary, you were going to see them on your general election ballot. So let's say we've got candidates ABC and D, just to keep it simple, and candidate A. No candidate gets over fifty in the first go round, Okay, so we'll just go in. A came in first place, D came in second place. C came in third place, D came in fourth place. Okay, So what happens when candidate A is at forty percent and all the other candidates are less? What happens at that point?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So at that point, since no one has demonstrated to a majority of people that they're preferred, then you go to the person who is in fourth place, in last place, and that person Das and Dog gets taken out. At that point, they've lost. Just like losing in a primary in the currencyste you lose, you don't get to advance. And so number four, whoever that is, goes away, and any of any of Das and dogs voters who indicated a number two choice their vote gets reallocated to that number two choice, and then you see if anybody gets over fifty percent from that.
Speaker 8: If you do, you stop right there.
Speaker 12: If not, you then take their placed person and reallocate their number two votes and then you automatically are going to get a winner because at that point someone's going to have over fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this is one of those things that as a person, and I've also been open with my audience about the fact that in two thousand I voted for Ralph Nader because I was voting for the viability of a third party candidate.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So I'm not opposed to anything that shakes up the two party system. But the biggest concern that I have seen on the against side is that this destroys the two party system. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, I'm more conservative than you on this one, because I actually am very nervous about moving away from the two party system, and I think what we're doing is going to save it.
Speaker 8: The fact is the two.
Speaker 12: Party system has been losing customers at an amazing clip. Half of Colorado voters are now independent, more than Democrats and Republicans combined, and the numbers going up higher and higher. Sixty four percent of young adults under age thirty five are independence, and eighty five percent of Generation Z says that neither party has anything to offer them, and so I actually believe that as opposed to what's happening with the two parties now, where they're becoming more and more extreme to to the left and the right, they're building higher and higher fences over smaller and smaller parties. We're going to end up with new parties if they don't become more attractive to a majority of the voters.
Speaker 4: So this is where this is what I The next question I'm going to ask you is what I love about the potential of ranked choice voting. But even as I talk about the potential, I also think to myself, you know, socialism sounds great on paper, but the reality of socialism is much different than the paper version of socialism, and I have concerns about ranked choice voting. I want to talk specifically about what happened in Alaska, because this is immediately the thing that gets brought up. In Alaska. They had two Republicans running against one Democrat. The two Republicans went at.
Speaker 12: It in the.
Speaker 4: Primary, and the losing primary candidate their voters did not vote for the Republican in the general, and a Democrat ends up winning a House seat for Alaska, which is really crazy, just really crazy. How do you explain to people that this is not going to gain the system in that way to where if you have three Republicans running and one Democrat running, the Republicans are not just going to eat each other.
Speaker 12: Yeah, now, this one has been so misrepresentative and misunderstood, So I'm glad you're bringing it up first, Mary Peltola.
Speaker 8: That Democrat that got in actually.
Speaker 12: Got more first place votes than the other two candidates right away from the first round. But put that aside for a moment. Alaska is misunderstood. Alaska only has twenty eight percent of their voters registered Republican. Now that's twice as many as our registered Democrats there's fourteen. But fifty five percent of Alaska voters are fiercely independent.
Speaker 8: And the reason it's viewed as this.
Speaker 12: Rock solid Republican state is because they had closed primaries, and so the two parties, even though they had less than fifty percent of the voters.
Speaker 8: Got to set all the rules of the game, and that led to Republican domination.
Speaker 12: So what happened in that general election is the Democratic candidate appealed, not the two Republicans were still focused on the twenty eight percent plus some of the independents who always vote Republicans, So they were kind of focused on the thirty five percent that were safe Republicans, and they let her focus on the other sixty five percent of the population.
Speaker 8: And so they learned a lesson.
Speaker 12: Because one of the great things about ranked voting is that you've got it represent the entire electorate, and it makes sense for you to to be thoughtful with them and sensitive to them because they can determine why or not you get re elected.
Speaker 4: So essentially, and this is kind of how I have have viewed it from the outside looking in. The two Republican candidates didn't get they didn't pay attention to the new rules of the game, because ultimately, the real positive for me and ranked choice voting is the potential to change the way campaigns are run. Because to your point, you can no longer just focus on the tiny, little and getting smaller Republican or Democratic Party here in Colorado, you have no choice but to campaign to everyone. So I love that aspect of it. But how long do you think it takes kent for politicians, political systems, political consultants to figure out the new rules of the game. What kind of growing pains are we looking at here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, certainly there won't be zero. That's not the way democracies work. I mean, when women's suffrage was put in, when when minority voters were allowed, I.
Speaker 8: Mean, all these things there are.
Speaker 12: It's clearly the right direction to go, but there's always some speed bumps. But the factors elected officials are really quick on this stuff, as much as those two Republicans for some reason didn't seem to really get it. So let's talk about the Alaska state legislature, which had been totally gridlocked for over a decade.
Speaker 8: They actually formed a bipartisan.
Speaker 12: Majority governing caucus d's and rs to together, and they didn't even invite the French left in the French right, they said, you guys have been holding us back for a decade with not wanting to compromise on anything. So they offentually essentially formed almost a new party, and that group is working together because now to get re elected, the path is to get stuff done, as opposed to performative art, where you want to demonstrate how you never compromise. And so in Alaska, a majority of the state legislature changed its demeanor and its practices overnight and they got to buy d get done in record time that hadn't been done for a decade, And there are other things like that, and so elected officials are pretty damned sensitive to the incentive system.
Speaker 4: So I got a bunch of questions on our tech line because let's kind of do these as quickly as possible, but thoroughly as possible, because these are all good questions. One of them is from Benita. Ask him how you would audit ranked choice voting? How would that process work?
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is where I'd have to have our elections experts give a technically satisfactory answer. What I cantenue to tell you is that there's existing methodology and technology to do it. It's been on multiple times. It exists out there. And the great thing that's happened now that there's sixty four places doing ranked voting across the country is there's an entire ecosystem of promolo support groups for voter education, material, for marketing material, for technology enhancements. And the good news for Colorado is ninety eight percent of our companies are already have the necessary technology in house and will help the other two percent.
Speaker 4: So we already have the ability to do this, like we have the technology and we can make this.
Speaker 8: Happen absolutely Now.
Speaker 12: It takes hard work, and we want to develop, with the clerks a very significant and thoughtful implementation plan. We're already in conversations with the governor and going through what should be the line item and his proposed budget that would include millions of dollars for supporting the clerks. So I'm not saying it's easy. But we did Vork by mail. A lot of people said, oh my god, that's going to lead to a cluster. We pulled it off well. In twenty sixteen we did the semi open primaries, Oh my gosh, everybody said this is too risky, you can't do audits.
Speaker 8: So all they were wrong again. So this one is no more or less difficult. You've got to be on your game, you've got to have resources, but it's totally doable.
Speaker 4: A lot of people on the text line are sending some variation of are you trying to meant democrat power in Colorado forever? Because their concern is and I'm going to use the first Congressional district as an example because it is reliably Democrat and my friend Valdemar Archiletta outstanding candidate on the Republican side. He is fighting a don Quixote like quest in that district just because of the makeup of the district. So it stands to reason that if you have an open primary, there could be four Democrats that come out of that primary race. How do you address that concern?
Speaker 12: Yeah, here's what's it would be amusing if it wasn't such a serious topic. I just had an hour long debate with the head of the Democratic Party in here in Colorado and the lead attorney, and they are petrified that passing this will take away their super majority status because we're going to put more and more power back in the voter's hands and put voters in the middle center, left, center, right and center, put their voice and choice back in the game. And it's so ironic that we have on the one hand, Dave Williams and Lauren Bobert against us on the Republican side, and then the head of the Democratic Party on the Democratic side.
Speaker 8: And so that's kind of.
Speaker 12: How we know we're doing it right, and we're focused on the voters because party leaders on each side now at the same time, there's a number of hard core partisans who have endorsed this, including Governor Polis and where Mike Johnston from Denver on the Democratic side, and on the Republican side, people like Dick Wadhams, who was the Republican Party chair for the entire state and ran a bulk of the successful Republican campaigns.
Speaker 8: He's on the team as well because he.
Speaker 12: Thinks this could be to step forward to actually restore relevance for the Republican Party.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if you answered the question specifically. I mean, and I've kind of been bouncing this around. There are districts that there's almost a zero percent chance the Republican's going to win in the general anyway. So this would just kind kind of allow you, as a right leaning person to at least have a say in. You know, you could vote for your Republican candidate first and then vote for the least crazy on the other side, or vice versa. You have that opportunity. That for me is the thing that you know, I'm trying to make a point of.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Okay, I hear what you're saying. I apologize for going down a parallel path, but what you say is exactly true.
Speaker 12: A district that's dominantly Democratic should elect a Democratic person and the one that's dominantly Republicans should But what happens in the real world is exactly what you just said. Let's say there's a district is sixty five to thirty five Democrat over Republican, and so that thirty five percent their first vote will be for Mandy Conham because that's their favorite Republican. Their number two vote, they're going to say, hmm, I'd much rather have sort of an amy Klobe, you're sort of person, not a Bernie Sanders, and so my number two vote is going to be for the moderate Democrat. Well that's very powerful because it means that you're not permanently disenfranchising the minority party in that district.
Speaker 8: They actually have a voice.
Speaker 12: And if you're the moderate Democratic state senator, for example, you don't have to just run to Bernie Sanders to try to get votes. Suddenly, you market yourself and you listen to all the people in the minority because they're very relevant for you. And I talked to one of our state senators just a couple of days ago who had an actual competitive race and went door to door and it literally changed her perspective on some policies by her going and knocking on the Republican doors.
Speaker 8: And the independent doors. Not just a democratic she said.
Speaker 12: She said, if I win, I'm going to be a way better leader because now I spent time listening to them kind of for selfish reasons, but.
Speaker 8: I got a lot out of it.
Speaker 4: I have a follow up question on how the ranked choice votes are counted, and this one seems like an interesting question, Mandy, what happens of all the second choice on candidate C went to candidate D when they were eliminated, then there was so then you, I mean, how does that work if you don't I mean, you would have to have a clear majority though, if you cleared out two candidates, right, No, I guess it could be fifty to fifty.
Speaker 12: Well, but fifty fifty exactly only happens about one out of every twenty thousand elections.
Speaker 8: Yeah, once you get to where you're eliminating, you've eliminate number four.
Speaker 12: You want to eliminate number three? Yeah, you're guaranteed to get a majority with someone.
Speaker 4: Okay, Also, let me get some I've got a bunch of questions coming in here, Mandy. I'm sorry to harp on this, But what he's describing is bolder and the more popular moderate Democrat lost because of ranked choice voting. And I'm talking about Bob Yates. He should have won easily and he lost because of ranked choice voting, and the progressives, the radical progressives, beat him with ranked choice voting scam. So I know that somebody's brought the Bob Yates situation to your attention, and it almost it does kind of seem like the whole we're going to get the moderated it failed. What do you attribute that to?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean there's hundreds of elections in our state every year, and in any system, you're going to have some anomalies.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's just it's the nature of the beast.
Speaker 12: And I don't know enough about that campaign to know exactly how the different competitors didn't in fact campaign. But what I do know is that this system requires that you get a majority support, and there's almost no way to gain anything given you have to get to that majority.
Speaker 8: It either exists or it doesn't.
Speaker 12: It's not like Top two in California, which is a flawed system, because you can gain it with Top four, and you need that majority I've never yet had anyone be able to describe to me a real world scenario where someone gained it and succeeded.
Speaker 8: And I've I mean, I've been.
Speaker 12: On this trail for six months asking the question because I'm sure it's happened somewhere, but not a single opponent has ever been able to cite.
Speaker 8: A single example of gaming.
Speaker 4: All right, last comment, and I'll let you respond, and then we've got to wrap it up. No rank choice voting. I do not want to see two Democrats in the general for governor or senator. I want both Republican and Democrat policies to have their voices. How do you respond to that?
Speaker 12: That's why we feel so strong about top four that in our state, at least in the next fifty years, there's never going to be a case where one party would get all the top four spots.
Speaker 8: And if it does happen, it doesn't it means the other.
Speaker 12: Party has virtually no support, correct, in which case they don't deserve to be in the ballot. So just like why I can't comment on the Bowler situation, you know, in a highly liberal spot or a highly conservative spot, that's what they are. That outcome is appropriate. We're not trying to make moderates everywhere. And I'll close this for this, Mandy. It's not that we're looking for a world where every candidate lives in the middle. What we're looking for is a world where every candidate is willing to meet in the middle when common sense dictates on things like immigration, where the people would have reached a consensus compromise twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kent theory. I appreciate what you're trying to do here. I'm going to be putting my voter Voter Guide out on Monday, but considering the disastrous state of the current Republican Party, I'm relatively certain at this point it's a yes for me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: That won't help you because my endorsement is the kiss of death, but I'm just letting you know for what it's worth, I'm convinced I'm ready to shake things up and I'm ready to do something different because what we're doing now clearly is not working.
Speaker 5: Ken.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate your time today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you, Mandy so much.
Speaker 12: And I agree that this is a time where the status quo is broken and America needs to step up.
Speaker 8: And fix it.
Speaker 4: All Right, that's Kent theory. Thank you Kent. We will be back right after this. Let me just read this one text message from our Common Spirit health text line. Hey, Mandy, that guy buzzwords told me all I need to know about him. The fringe right. Who's that? I'm not a Trump fan, but my word, who's fringe right?
Speaker 5: Who is that?
Speaker 4: Exactly? I know the fringe left exists, and I think they want to use ranked choice voting to entrench their scheme, which is a one party state, one party state where they lie and say that independence just love them. So okay, so you're willing to admit there's the fringe left, but the notion of a fringe right is you can't figure out who that is. Well, let me tell you that is here in Colorado. That's Tina Peters, that is Ron Hanks. That is all the people running around without evidence telling people that they are they have all this evidence that the election was stolen about not being willing to present the evidence. That's the fringe right. Nick twintis the white supremacist wing of the right wing. Those are the fringe right. They're just as fringing, just as crazy as the fringe left and right choice voting is designed to allow the people in the middle to say, yeah, that's not okay with us. We don't want to reward the candidates who ran as far to the left or as far to the right as they could in the primary, only to try and moderate themselves in the general election. Which candidate is real, It's honestly exactly like the candidacy of Kamala Harris twenty nineteen. She was as far left to the left of Bernie Sanders, and now when asked about it, she just says, my values haven't changed. I grew up in the middle class. Everyone took care of their lawns. My values said not to Well, okay, then, so your policy positions haven't changed. But see, we don't get to ask her questions because well, she's amazing and full of joy so we're just full of joyfulness, not questions. Hey, Mandy, Tina Peters, and Ron Hanks just lost and it didn't tank rank choice voting to push them out. And by the way, I do agree with you on that. I tend to forget about them because they're so insignificant. They're not insignificant. That wing is running the Republican Party in Colorado, right, now, right this very minute. Dave Williams, who walked out of the convention in twenty sixteen because he was so anti Trump, then decided to loot the treasury to support his own congressional race, where he got his ass kicked. Now what if he'd made it through in that congressional race, he would have most certainly been a member of Congress. And if it wasn't for people on the right working to defeat him, he would have been able to walk into office because he appealed to the fringiest part of the fringe. And that's how you get elected in a primary where only seventeen eighteen percent of people even vote. That's the other thing, you, guys, So few people vote in the prime. But if you had a sense that the primary is actually meant something, and if you're truly a person in the center, and there's a person on the right that's running that you really really like, but there's a person in the Democratic Party that you also think is pretty reasonable and you could get behind. If we do this rank choice voting system, both of them will be on your ballot, so you can choose in the primary and hope that the other one makes it and then in the general election you can possibly choose two completely different parties as you're one and two. Now do I see that happening right away?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 4: I do not, because we are incredibly polarized in our world right now, and I think for many people on the right it is like EW Democrats, for many people on the left ew Republicans. But I think as politicians begin to adapt to the new reality and start walking around and listening to people and finding out their hopes and fears and what kind of solutions they're looking to problems, I think that would change. You know, when we were in Switzerland last year, we had a long conversation with the guy who was driving around us, driving us around in a tuck tuck while we eat fondo. We had long conversation about politics, and he said, in Switzerland they have like thirty or forty parties. You never vote based on party identification. You just don't because sometimes parties you will agree with them on this issue, but you won't agree with them on that issue. So people in Switzerland don't see themselves as part of a political party. They see themselves as a Swiss citizen. So you may vote for one party in this election because they're doing the right thing for the thing you're the most passionate about. You may vote for another party in the next election. Your entire ballot could be for completely different parties in every single race. Now, don't get me wrong, I think there's a level of chaos in that that may be a little unmanageable for most people. But wouldn't you rather have options that you felt good about, multiple choices where you're like, you know what. It's kind of like what I tell people in Denver right in the general election, if you go vote for the Republican for mayor of Denver, I just don't see a republic And winning in Denver for a very long time. But then, wouldn't it be nice if in a ranked choice voting for the mayor of Denver, you had the opportunity to vote for the least crazy Democrat with number two. Wouldn't that be nice? In all of these places where Republicans are hopelessly outnumbered, you would actually have a say and who was likely to get elected without feeling like you wasted your vote voting for someone that's not likely to get elected. I just I don't think the system is that complicated. I just Mandy, did your values change? You said four years ago you wouldn't support or vote for Trump. My values haven't changed, but my pragmatism has kicked in. And you know I mean, trust me, Texter. I'm just as disgusted with me as you are. But the reality is this, we have two choices, and both of them make me very unhappy. This is as ointment or supp positories election as there ever has been in my lifetime. I am not enthusiastic at all about casting my ballot this election cycle, not even a little bit. But that just gives you an idea of how bad I think Kamala Harris would be as president, just how bad. Like the bar was so low, so low. Then all they had to do was barely pick their feet over. But they didn't even do that. No, they just rolled Kamal in there. Not that she's any worse or any better than Joe Biden. I just think what the Democratic policies are bad for this country. So here I am forced to vote again someone I don't want to vote for, but I'm going to Mandy. Ranked choice voting only works if people vote for multiple candidates. If they only vote for one candidate and then that candidate doesn't rank high enough, then it's like they didn't vote at all. No, it means they vote for a losing candidate, and that's entire it's entirely choice. Let's just say there's one Republican on the final ballot, three Democrats on the final ballot, and all three Democrats are horrible, and you can't bring yourself to vote for him. Great, cast your ballot for the Republican. Call it a day. Your ballot counts in the first round, just like everybody else's ballot in the first round. Now that was me and I had one Republican and three Democrats, I would then look for the least crazy Democrat and I would vote for them, and I would urge all of my friends to vote for them number two, because at least you have the chance to weigh in right now. If you're in that district where it's overwhelmingly Democrat, you get no say because you cast your ballot for a sure to lose candidate just because of demographics, and then you're out and the crazy people win. So there you go. Get Mike Rosen's opinion on this. Mike is a much harder partisan than I am. He is a much stronger Republican because he came of age during the glory days of the Republican part under Ronald Reagan. And if I had grown up in that era, I would probably feel the same way. But I grew up in the Republicans crapping all over any sense of fiscal responsibility and saddling our children, our grandchildren, our great grinch grandchildren with a massive load of debt. They're never going to be able to pay off Republican era. So I'm not nearly as deep red as Mike rosen is. Rounds of voting sounds kinds of Soviet You guys, really really, I mean, if you don't want to vote for it, that's fine, but when you say something like that, it's kind of silly. By the way, Oh, you know what, We're going to talk about this one more segment because I got a little more information I want to share with you about how we vote. It hasn't always been the same. We'll talk about that next. A lot of you on the text line asking a question, and I guess the Republican Party is telling people that if you don't vote for all four choices, then your vote doesn't count. And that's a why I would expect nothing less from the leadership of the Colorado Republican Party. That is a lie. You can cast one vote. You can just say, look, here's my number one choice. Don't want to vote for anybody else. Your first vote counts. Maybe you only want to vote for two people your first and second vote count. You're getting the drift here. You don't have to cast a vote when you don't want to. Somebody said this, Mandy number one, God, number two, Stalin number three, Hitler number four, Satan, who's your number two? In that case, I would only have a number one God. So yeah, you do not have to vote for all four. That is a lie, an unsurprising lie. The only people arguing for ranked choice voting are partisans who want to protect the two party system, which, by the way, we are very very very close to being a majority unaffiliated state, and I know the most unaffiliated vote with Democrats, but we are almost there. That's how effective the two parties have at growing their parties. All right, what are you registered as? You don't have to tell me. I guess that's a private thing, although it's public records, so yeah, you do have to tell me.
Speaker 7: No, I'll tell you I am unaffiliated there. You absolutely love this idea of bring choice voting. Yeah, it made a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 4: I see. I just here's the thing. I love it when people are basically like, we can't change it. Yeah, we totally can. And since the beginning of the United States of America, we have changed the way we cast our ballots on multiple occasions. First of all, a gentleman cracked back at me on x or Facebook, I don't remember which one. He said, this is so unconstitutional. There's nothing in the Constitution about how states must vote, just that states oversee elections, right, So it's not unconstitutional at all. We change the way we cast our ballots multiple times over the years, and uh so there's nothing to say we can't change it again because clearly what we I'm doing now sucks. I mean, it just sucks. Right, So I'm I'm I'm in the s column as of right now. Not again that that matters, but I just want to let you know. But here's the thing, you guys, if you have any questions, email me Mandy Mandy Connell two NS two l's at iHeartMedia dot com. I'm trying to just use my artmedia dot com address Mandy Connell, m A and d y co n N E L l at iHeartMedia dot com and send me your questions and I will make sure in my voter guide that they are all accurately answered, because there's a lot of misinformation. And here's the thing. When the other side has to lie about what it actually does in order to get you to vote against it, that should tell you maybe they shouldn't be trusted. I'm just saying, Mandy, I'm a new Independent who leaned left for the majority of my adulthood. Now I'm right leaning. Sick of all the crap, Mandy. The fact that both Democrats and Republicans are against this should tell you. There you go, Mandy and Boulder. The votes were counted by vote column, and you were not counted if you voted the same person across. Well, that's because you can't vote for the same person across. You have to rank the people in order one, two, three, four. If you make a list, if you're going to the grocery store, you're gonna put one milk, two milk, three milk, four milk.
Speaker 5: No, you're not.
Speaker 4: Stop trying to make it more complicated. Follow the very easy directions. Put these four people in order, or just vote for one, or just vote for two, or just vote for three or whatever. But you can only vote for someone once. Not that complicated. The best reason for rank choice voting is that Dave Williams is against it. Correct Texter, correct one hundred percent. Mandy. Do you know if anyone is reading the State Blue information booklet that came in the mail voter guide. I think a lot of people look at that. I think a lot of people look at that. I mean, I don't know, I breathe through it, but I mean I'm I'm highly educated, and I can make it my own mind and my own decisions. Hit someone else to tell me. But I'll be telling you guys what to do in my voter guide. And Ross is working on a voter guide too. We were going to collaborate, but Ross uses way more worse than I do. Like I'm just gonna say, don't vote for this as stupid, but Ross will give you like a dissertation on why it's stupid and you shouldn't vote for it, so you know, something different for everyone. We will be right back. We've got the two minute drill coming up, and so much other stuff on the blog that we haven't begun to scratch yet, So stick around.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock accident and injury lawyers.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's Mandy connella.
Speaker 3: Tenny icy.
Speaker 4: Many donald sad thing.
Speaker 5: The two minute and drill at two.
Speaker 2: Hey we go too, minute, warrios, weapons fire, stories of today that we don't have more time for.
Speaker 5: He love triple.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 2: This will take longer than two minutes. Here's many coddle.
Speaker 4: All right, my friends, We've got some stories and this one there's more too, I promise you. But we don't know why RTD fired now former police chief Joel Fitzgerald. As a matter of fact, RTD, as far as I know, hasn't even confirmed that they fired him. How do we know because according to the Colorado Peace Officers Standards and Training website, which shows the status of employment for peace officers, they said Fitzgerald was terminated for cause. Now, call me crazy, but I think that if you are a public servant, especially in a law enforcement position, who has fired for cause, the rest of us should get to know what you did. Now, if it's criminal, obviously file charges. But if it's just unethical. I still want to know, because this guy is gonna go try and get a job somewhere else. I'm not sure why RTD is being so tight lipped, but it certainly doesn't inspire trust in their next tire. Just throwing that out there, it too. John Caldera has written a scorcher over at page two on Complete Colorado dot com. What is it about about the fact that sea dot is hyper focused on serving four percent of the population. He points out that the next time you are stuck in traffic, you know who to blame, because the Colorado Department of Transportation has stopped worrying about making roads that work in an effort to shove us all in a mass transit that only four percent of the population takes, even after we've spent billions of dollars on light rail. Four percent of the population takes mass transit. But they're not gonna stop trying. So maybe it's time to elect a different party who would appoint the head of sea dot and set the tone. Just to thought my friends.
Speaker 5: Too.
Speaker 4: All Right, you guys, good news in the world of inflation. Inflation is down to two point two percent in the month of August versus two point five in July. This is very close to the fed's two percent target, which means that there's a good chance the FED will continue to drop interest rates through the rest of the year. Now in the meantime, we're just gonna have to wait until I believe the next rate will come in October, maybe November, and then one in December. But finally things are starting to feel somewhat normal again, even if prices are still twenty percent higher than they were a few years ago. Baby steps, you guys, baby steps. DPS and I mean Denver Public Schools has proven itself to be a bad actor when it comes to parents speaking out against well anything they do. One woman found out about it the hard way by coming to speak on behalf of a principal who was being fired for a I think completely made up reason led by Tay Anderson, which she showed up. She ended up being accused by an activist of both calling him the N word, which she did not, and physically attacking him, which she did not. When charged with a crime, she tried to get DPS to release the video of the meeting to prove that she hadn't done anything wrong and they fought it. DPS is made up of bullies and thugs, and if you're a decent parent, you are supposed to be afraid of going to a school board meeting because you don't want to get treated like the woman that Jimmy Seenberger focused on in his column that I have linked on the blog today. It is a fascinating story and you all should read it. And finally, well, next to finally, not finally, next to finally, Dave Maggie Smith has passed away. She was a scenestealer as professor of Minerva McGonagall in the Harry Potter films, along with being Countess Grantham in Downton Abbey, among I'm guessing hundreds of roles she had over her lengthy career. She passed away at eighty nine and was surrounded by her family and friends. She will be missed and for a lot of little kids, you got this is going to be one of their first stars of their movies that they love that has passed away. Although did Hagrid di is Hagrid debad? Did Hagrid die? He died? He died? He died? It was okay, so flu but Shirley they're all just dropping like flies. So watch a little Harry Potter this weekend in Dame Maggie Smith's honor, and I hope she rests in peace. And uh yeah, that's really all I have to say about that. And finally, although I feel bad putting this in the two minute drill because it is kind of a big deal and I might talk more about it on the other side of the break, the IDF has said they've conducted a massive strike on Hesbela's headquarters in the route, and they've been pretty open about the fact that they were targeting the head of Hesbela, Hassan Nasralla, because honestly, he's the last guy in the upper level chain of command that is left alive for Hesbela. And Benjaminette Yahoo went and spoke to the United Nations and pretty much said, Poul Sand We're gonna keep doing what we're doing until Hesbela has completely new new neutral, neuter neutralized, whatever word I was trying to say. And so far, so good. They don't look at me like that. You try and say neutered and neutralized all in the same sentence, getting judged from the other room right now, Like Stern looks and stuff. Yeah, well continue this conversation. Well no, it's not time to break yet. No, this is just the next piece of Israel's destruction of Hesbela's capabilities of attacking them. This compound that they attacked in be Root was a military compound built underneath housing because that's what they do. They hired under civilians. They don't know if Nezrala was killed, but so far he hasn't. Well, no one's come out to say that they killed him. A lot of people are like, oh my god, this is going to escalate things and make it into World War three. Guess what. Israel doesn't care. They said as much at the UN They basically said, you guys can keep your little opinions to yourself. We're gonna keep doing this till we neutralize Hesbela, and y'all can shut up. And then he left. That's the kind of speech you just mic drop and just walk off off right then, So we'll find out if they were successful. But man, this guy has to be scared out of his mind right now. And you know what, oddly, I'm in favor of that one hundred percent. One hundred percent now, when we get back that's the end of the two minute triller. You can I guess I could hit the last little thing there. Let's just end it, Grant, Let's just let's just stop it. Just finish it, right there, finish it. The ABS and the Nuggets are back on TV. Here's my question, Grant, why didn't they do this like a year ago? I mean years ago. Fans have missed all of the championships, right, I mean you've.
Speaker 7: Missed missed the Nuggets championships, missed the ABS championship.
Speaker 4: I mean, I hope they're good this year, don't get me wrong on off runs. So why didn't you just do this? Yeah, it's a bad luck. Still what now? Maybe they were working on the app because now you have two options. You can pay for the Altitude Plus app. It's like twenty bucks a month or something. It's gonna get you all the games ninety yeah, or you can just watch it on nine News or My twenty.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: That's what that's the part that frustrates me is that they could have done these twenty games. Yeah, for the past five years when they were in this dispute.
Speaker 4: On nine news in My twenty yep, and they didn't. But Obviously, we don't negotiate things like this at a high level grant, so we're probably out of the loop just a hair well, neither did they very well.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back. This is a super fun story. Apparently a dossier that the Iranians have on jd Vance was given to a left wing reporter named Ken Klippenstein. Ken Clippenstein decided to just publish it on X. Now what did this dossier have? It had things like private personal details, personal phone numbers, family details, social security numbers, home addresses, the whole nine yards, and Ken Clippenstein, with his five hundred and nine thousand followers on X published it. And what's hilarious is that the noted thinker Keith Olberman, and I put both noted and thinker in air quotes there. What do you ever wonder? Like, what the hell happened to Keith Olberman? What what went wrong in that guy's life? I mean, he started out as this kind of really funny, sharp witted host of ESPN. Do you remember Keith Olberman on ESPN?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he almost ruined sports for me when he came back the second time around.
Speaker 4: But how can everything be so negative? He's just he's he's one of those people that has this it just inate ability to only see the bad, right, and he only saw the bad when Ken Clippenstein was suspended from x for violating their terms of service, doxing is prohibited, and this is like the king of doxing. So now I hope mister Clippenstein is happy because now he has allowed bad actors. And hey, it's not like anybody's tried to killed Trump or anything a couple of times. So now JD. Vance's little children and wife are probably they've probably already been removed from their home. I mean, what a brave thing this guy did. I have a very strong feeling about things like protesting outside someone's home, about showing up in their driveway or outside their driveway to yell about whatever they've done. Politically, I think that in the world that we're living in right now, where people are trying to kill Donald Trump, and we know the Iranians, or at least the Secret Service advised Donald Trump that the Iranians had had found a or had decided that they were going to issue and ask an assassination order on Donald Trump. So we already know that the violence coming from the left on behalf of the Iranians is real.
Speaker 5: We already know this.
Speaker 4: Now it may not be on behalf of the Iranians. They just may share a common goal, to be clear. But two people have tried to murder President Trump, and now this guy thinks that publishing a dossier that was gotten by I believe hacking on X says if it's no big deal, as if he's somehow doing a public service. Now let me ask you guys this.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 4: I realize I'm talking to a right leaning audience, but does knowing where JD Vance's children are make you more or less likely to vote for Kamala Harris. I'm being genuine because I certainly can't imagine that. Cannot imagine that. So we'll see what happens. But Ken Clippenstein and I hope he's sad to see his five hundred and nine thousand followers on X go bye bye, because they will because I don't think he's coming back. By the way, Elon Musk, if you click on the tweet that I posted on the blog today, you can see Elon Musk respond by saying, this is one of the most egregious, evil doxing actions we've ever seen. Presidential candidates are not speculatively in danger. There have already been two attempts on Donald Trump's life. Moreover, the included detailed information on the addresses of their children. So here's the thing. Do I think it should be illegal to out someone like that?
Speaker 7: Maybe?
Speaker 4: Maybe not, But we shall see what happens now. I just wanted you to know about that. When we get back, we're gonna do something fun for the last half hour. Comedian Matthew Brizard coming in next. Keep it right here on Kiawa. There is a guy, and I'm just gonna assume because I know Mel the wonderful pr person for comedy works well enough to know she probably wouldn't write the following paragraph herself. Matthew Brossard is a disgraced financial analyst forced into stand up comedy. The byproduct of a Cajun chemist and a Jewish microbiologist, he holds a degree in compyational mathematics. He always manages to bring up just did it, and it's fully aware of how doushe he looks. Matthew Brossard, I'm gonna assume you probably had something to do with that particular paragraph.
Speaker 10: I had a hand in that. I did have a hand in that.
Speaker 4: I think it's an interesting way to present yourself because in a way, it's like a humble brag of like, yes, look how good my genes are and how smart I am.
Speaker 10: I need to sell myself in some way.
Speaker 13: It's the one place you're not allowed to be humble, as in writing that that description for yourself.
Speaker 5: Now are you can?
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 13: He's easy to work with, It shows up on time, and it costs less than other comedians.
Speaker 4: And good at math and good at maths in case somebody has a complex equation at the comedy club that needs to be solved.
Speaker 13: If you need financial advice or just someone to explain how compound interest works, I'm a good backboard.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you two questions related to your background. Number one, I'm assuming that you grew up in a household where it was Matthew, where are you going to college? Not if you go to college, where are you going to college?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: So, how do you get from computational, mathematic and financial world into stand up comedy?
Speaker 13: It was for me the ultimate act of rebellion. It was funny because it's not that crazy of a thing to do.
Speaker 3: But for me.
Speaker 13: I was like, ah, I thought I was gonna be I was told I was going to use math in some capacity.
Speaker 5: I was told.
Speaker 10: I was not told yeah, or a model or anything.
Speaker 13: There was just like your your like, your skills in this world are mathematics, not not even interpersonal skills. You were you were good at math. We're a math family. So you're going to do a job based around that. And I believe them. And then I did a open mic when I was twenty four years old, and I was not bad at it. I had a lot of room to improve it, like, but I could also do this as a job, and it was just like everything just it felt like it's It felt like it felt like one of those movies where someone's in a cult and then they realized.
Speaker 10: There was a whole world outside that they're allowed to go into.
Speaker 4: I felt like I was like I was going to ask it sounded like you found out you were not Asian when you were twenty three years old. You're like, I'm good at math. That's what we're gonna I mean, I'm making a stereotypical joke, but it's a positive.
Speaker 10: I'm Jewish and it's pretty close.
Speaker 13: I think Jews and Asians relate to the same kind of pressure from their parents.
Speaker 4: What did you What was that conversation like when you were like, hey Mom, hey Dad, I've decided that after get it, get it. Where'd you go to school?
Speaker 10: Rice?
Speaker 4: Okay, so you went to a very good school in Texas and you come back and say, hey, I'm just gonna throw throw caution to the wind. I'm gonna go after this stand up comedian thing. What happened there?
Speaker 10: In true So, in true actuarial form.
Speaker 13: I did not quit my job to start doing comedy. I was still you know, timid enough and well trained enough to like hold on to my job as long as possible and and try to, you know, keep a day job while doing comedy at night and just see how far I could go before it tore me in half. And luckily I got fired from my job, we know, because of comedy, because I was really just stretching myself too thin and traveling and not telling my boss.
Speaker 5: Where I was.
Speaker 4: And it's actually an important job. It's like something you could just mail it in, right, Yeah, if when you miss an audit, you get in a lot of trouble. When you got fired, were you at a position where you thought, I'm not going to starve if I just go full board with comedy thing.
Speaker 13: I thought I was going to starve. I didn't think it was going to work out. I guess start have to find a job as a waiter.
Speaker 5: Woe is me.
Speaker 13: I just moved to la and I had that job. I was able to work that job. Remote was the deal I worked out with. My boss was really really cool of him. And then I screwed up something really bad and I basically had to resign in shame. And I had like two months of being afraid, and then I booked a bunch of college shows. So not that harrowing of a journey all things considered.
Speaker 4: This is just I mean, is it just because you're good looking that you've just been able to coast through all these various things? Is that what you attribute it to.
Speaker 13: I've just gotten so lucky at every stage in my life, just everything, just I jump off things, and that's appeared for me.
Speaker 10: Sometimes I just feel very very grateful for that.
Speaker 4: I will tell you that I my little production company that I have on the side is called Serendipitous Productions, because I, like you have made some decisions that have looked like dumbassy from the outside looking in, but they all kind of panned out.
Speaker 10: Yes, stumbling upwards or what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great way to put it for failing.
Speaker 13: Upwards is the term. But yeah, just that kind of oops. Ohoh things ended up better. Uh yeah, it's a weird. And the job you have is like this is a really what what you do is highly sought after, highly competitive, and for every position like this, there's a thousand people who worked as hard as they could and didn't get it and are bruised and battered because of it.
Speaker 4: Well, now they have a podcast. Yeah, so that is true of comedians as well. I would say all the failed stand of comedians all have podcasts.
Speaker 10: It's required.
Speaker 4: So do you have a podcast?
Speaker 10: I'm so bad about it.
Speaker 13: I have one with my fiance and we probably do one episode every four months.
Speaker 10: Because she was like, you know what, I'm not going to take care of this one.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna I'm gonna let you edit this and see too that it gets done, just to show that you care about it. And guess what, I don't. So I tried to do a podcast with her. We've had some great guests. We've had, like you know Mit Tail Lane and Taylor Tomlinson. We've had really wonderful people on the podcast, but they need to do more of it.
Speaker 4: You talk about your now fiance. I actually was going to ask you because over the last few years I've been with my girlfriends four years, six years. I'm like, be gonna put a on it. Why did you take so long? Matthew?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 13: Why did I take so long? I didn't know there was pressure.
Speaker 10: I don't know. I don't know why it took so long. She proposed to me, So that's how long we waited.
Speaker 4: Okay, so why did you take her so long? We'll ask her that question at a later time. But you just told me. She's actually now doing stand up as well.
Speaker 13: She also does comedy. Yes, so she started like four or five years ago. She did improv when we met. And she was a professional swimmer when we met.
Speaker 4: So how does Wandn't be a professional swimmer?
Speaker 11: Is really?
Speaker 10: Really good? Really really really do you.
Speaker 4: Do professional swimming?
Speaker 13: Very college national champion and had you know since a very young age was a phenom, like eleven years old, was competing at nationals and you know, my fifteen years old was a finalisted Olympic trials and just just very very good. It's very impressive, very impressive athlete, and had a great career as a national team member and represent the United States and won a silver at Worlds and a national champion many times. But she is surprised to say the hours of stand up comedy and the hours of professional swimming don't don't.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well yeah those two am, those shut downs and six am starts probably not great.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so she wasn't doing she wanted to do comedy then, and then basically a couple of years of afterwards, she moved, We moved to New York together. She stops swimming and she starts working and finally feel comfortable to start doing open mic since she's done an excellent job, and she comes with I think she came with me last time here. She's not here this time, but because she's too busy doing comedy in New York, and I for her, Good for her.
Speaker 4: How do you come up with your bits? Because I got to tell you, I love all the medical stuff you do because it sort of mirrors the stuff that I find interesting. I always have medical stuff on my blog because I want my listeners to know the latest stuff, but of course you make it funny or if I just make it informative. If you make it funny, why what takes you in that direction?
Speaker 13: I like a joke that can start with a piece of information that I find interesting, that is not widely known, and then try to build the comedy around that. So I do like when comedy can be kind of informative while it happens to be funny. I was fortunate and that you know, my mom was was a microbiologist and my dad was a chemist. So I was constantly bombarded with tidbits of fascinating information that that that's stuck in my head, and over the years I found a way to put them together. You're just learning about I have a long chunk online about how many major medical breakthroughs or by accident, and you know, you discover one, you read more about it, and you you find that it's kind of a string of things.
Speaker 10: Park I was it called bagra was a hard medication?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the person of the audience yelling out what everything originally was for.
Speaker 13: Because that's kind of nerd I am. You'd be rare one one hundred people knows that in terms of like asking the crowd. It's pretty because I girl, Matthew, I know all that stuff. Father, like your right hand shout outer in the crowd, like I do that. Do you know the eyelash the stuff you used to make your eyelashes longer?
Speaker 9: That I do know?
Speaker 4: The late not la Si. It's I did know at one point, wasn't.
Speaker 10: It for I don't remember Clackoma.
Speaker 4: I knew it was an eye disease. I just didn't know which one.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And they noticed it was giving people longer eyelashes. So maybe Lene was like that's ours now.
Speaker 4: Sad but true though, I mean, it really is your entire bit. I got to tell you if you don't know anything about IUDs, Matthew is your guy to not actually tell you how they work, but to tell you how they work in a way that is both charming and wrang and.
Speaker 10: A lot of a lot of it's intrect, which is fun as well.
Speaker 4: So when you are dealing, I'm fascinated by the relationship you have with your girlfriend, Like do you ever just say, okay, listen to this. Do you ever bounce stuff off her? And when you do something and you think is going to be really really good, and then you kind of get the dull stare of the dairy cowl back. You're like, dang, does that happen a lot?
Speaker 13: It's it's oftentimes yeah, it's not a good way to go about it. It's just like when she's sitting at her desk, look is this funny? So try to try to take it and work on it and then bring it to her. And you know what is nice to us? You know, we go and walk together and we talk a lot, and when someone says something, we're like, ooh.
Speaker 10: That's good.
Speaker 13: And then sometimes there's a custody battle or whatever says something or like that might be I said it, but maybe be funnier coming from you. And then you said this, and I maybe I could play with that a little bit. So so it's fun kind of bouncing it is around.
Speaker 4: Will you talk about your girlfriend in the in the act. But you know, some comedians can be critical and a little I think a little harsh about their snouts. Is that I always wonder like how does that play at home? You know what I mean? But you're not You're very complimentary and kind to your your girlfriend, now fiance, does that change when she becomes a wife? I mean, you know, everything goes downhill once you get married, but you should do it.
Speaker 13: I'm not sure if her whole rule is you can say whatever you want about me if you make enough money.
Speaker 10: So there's certain jokes I want to do, and she says, here, here's how much money you have to make to do that joke.
Speaker 4: She gives you a bar that's pretty highs a great joke too, but that's convenient. You should actually set up a Patreon, like I could go fundme or something to be like my wife to be says, I can tell certain jokes if we make this amount of money and then you just like walk up with a check.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's why I would donate. Not a bad idea.
Speaker 4: I would donate the passive aggressively donate. I would do that. I would help you with that. I would five ten bucks, twenty bucks, whatever, and then you're in you can hear the real you.
Speaker 10: That's a really good idea.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: I have a million of them, a million. I feel free taken with it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, good publicity. And then at that point now I'm like it just that good.
Speaker 4: But they won't know which jokes, right, I mean just he just says, there are jokes in this set that you had to pay for.
Speaker 13: This has been a very productive creative session, and I really appreciate.
Speaker 4: That work that it details. But I'm really good at big ideas. Okay, so if I had minions, Like, if I had minions, I could have already taken over the world. But I come up with these great ideas and then I and no one's listening, and then I say them, and then and then nothing ever happens.
Speaker 13: There's that sounds like, I don't know what I'm allowed to say on this program curse. I was gonna say it sounds like a lot of a specific drug. The symptoms of one specific drug is you have a lot of good, big ideas, but you don't have the detailed follow through.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that there was anything like that involved. I'm just saying that I have always been a big idea person. So mile has all right? Have you you've played here before? Yes, I always asked medians about comedy works because it's such a great venue.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 13: I would I would say, if you asked one hundred working comics what their favorite club is, they would you would hear mostly comedy works.
Speaker 10: It's just always ahead of the curb takes.
Speaker 13: Her of comics, great crowds, phones, the bags. It's just it's it's it's a good experience all around.
Speaker 4: The bad thing was the first time I'd ever done that on Saturday night when I wait to see Billy Gardell, I don't hate it. Do you guys ever have pushback when people like with kids or babysitters or stuff like that. Now a little bit, she's a little oompikito is a little bit there. Yeah, when you decide what kind of comedy you're gonna do, like, how do you approach this? Because at Comedy Works on Saturday night we saw the Opher who was just like scorched Earth and hilarious but very inappropriate, And then you know, Billy Gardell works mostly clean, very You know, you could probably take your grandm on there and not yet said how much of thought do you give into that? Like do you work blue? How do you how do you make those choices?
Speaker 10: There's only two sets. I have the set I want to do. In this set I have to do.
Speaker 13: Okay, so it's always finding how much so I want to do? Is going to have certain things that aren't necessarily going to work? Every time I have a lot of math jokes right now that are not that sounds. I swear they're good. If you're listening to this, I swear they're the best math jokes you guys.
Speaker 4: Kaminsky is like, oh my god, this guy's the funniest comic ever.
Speaker 13: Because you do math jokes. They're solid. They're really solid. If you're like math, there' like come see the show. I swear you'll you will enjoy them. That's a hard cell for some audiences.
Speaker 5: I got to make sure in the.
Speaker 10: Right place against them up to my speed.
Speaker 13: I have some political stuff that may cross some lines for both sides, and that's very fun for me because it makes me feel very alive on stage when you don't know. If you see a joke that you know gets a laugh every time, you're not going to say it with as much enthusiasm y I say it. If you're pulling the pin in a grenade and waiting to see if it's a dud or a hit, you're going to be very alive and a much better performer for it.
Speaker 4: So it's a little like putting, you know, your tongue on a sore tooth a little bit, just to like wake yourself up, just zip you there. Yes, do you ever just think to yourself if things are not going as well as you were hoping, maybe you're not connecting or you know, not every show can be a gem, right, I mean that's just the same here. Do you ever think to yourself, screw it. I'm throwing in all the math jokes. I'm just throwing it against wallet, just like time, throw a caution to the wind and see what happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I did not get into this job because I respect authority. So yes, a lot of times when I feel resentful of a crowd for not liking certain things, I will do more of those things just to push It was a very spoiled response, but sometimes you just want to well, if this is what, if I found what you don't like, then I want to make you like that.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do it so much that you're gonna have to laugh, and just if it's.
Speaker 13: Just laughter that's uncomfortable, or I'm just gonna go out my way if like there's sometimes with the clouds sound and I'm not gonna like me anyway, at least I'm not going I'm gonna bomb with my dignity doing something that I'm proud of is The worst is when you just start doing jokes for them and they still don't like you anyway.
Speaker 10: It just feels awful.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the first time you ever bombed?
Speaker 10: The third time I did comedy.
Speaker 4: See, I've had one show in my life since I got my own show in two thousand and five that I did not do enough prep for. And I did a five hour show and it was from five am to ten am, and I am at like nine thirty and I don't have a single I can't think of a single story. I can't think of a single topic.
Speaker 10: What else.
Speaker 4: I'm like flopsweating, I've got to I'm like I got pit stains. I mean, it was the worst half hour of my entire life. And if you ask me of my listeners, they would not have known that it was that bad. But I will never forget that and I have never underprepared from that day. What is it like to think back on that flop? And how does it change how you approach stuff now?
Speaker 5: That one?
Speaker 13: I mean I bombed the third sets through probably the one hundredth set. The first two just not going to go well. Are there bombs that make me like change? How I there's some sets you just didn't prepare enough for, and I could definitely relate to that. That's often not stamped well in general some nights if I say, I think, I know I said, and you got there, and then you do it kind of the wrong order and have to go back to do a joke. So it's just anytime you sit down and write before the show's going to go better. That my old, my little silly illium is that the more you plan, the more you can improvise.
Speaker 4: That's really actually very boring. Yeah, yes, that's kind of like smart.
Speaker 13: So I always noticed when I sit and write a set list, I actually end up trying more stuff, which is odd because you think if you don't plan, you're gonna go off course.
Speaker 5: Where is it?
Speaker 13: Actually, if you don't plan, you stay very you have a more predictable route. You're gonna just do the just kind of you don't have time to think of what jokes and new next. You're just going to automatically default to the safest.
Speaker 10: Joke you can do next.
Speaker 4: But and it doesn't it kind of give you like an island from which to dive into the stream list.
Speaker 13: I mean, truly, if I had just a flow chart on stage.
Speaker 10: Is do this joke.
Speaker 13: Now, if that joke works, to this joke at bit bombs, go back to this. But if it works, skip to this right yeah, so yeah, and it makes you present.
Speaker 4: That's actually a really interesting window into the world of how a comedian's mind worked. I appreciate that.
Speaker 13: There's there's oddly like what I feel in my mind is there's a good wheel will meter next to me on stage like that kind of like te just this number, like the Applauso meter. Yeah, and it's going up and up. The crowd likes me because this show work, this show to works, this woe's work. Okay, now they like me. I've done it, totally, bunch of shows throw. Now I'm gonna do a bad one, a new one that I don't think is there yet, just to see and it works, but it doesn't work super well. So now I have a little bit less will, right, So maybe I should do.
Speaker 10: A good joke. But if I do another new joke again, I'd lose them.
Speaker 13: Now I have no good will, and now I have to kind of restart and do a bunch of I know, tried and true jokes.
Speaker 4: Maybe you should do what rock bands do Now, we're gonna do some jokes off our new album, and then everybody can go get a beer. Yeah, and you just work stuff out like that.
Speaker 10: I do do that a little bit. Sometimes I'll be like, hey, I just film special.
Speaker 13: Here's some jokes that are I'll say, oh, yeah, I'm going to work on some new stuff. And by new stuff, I mean we're doing these jokes for a couple of years now.
Speaker 4: They still don't work, and you're just gonna keep just hammering away at it.
Speaker 13: And I'll just pull out a note card and just look through a couple Sometimes it's fun to do that with the crowd of just here's some new jokes. I'm gonna try them off this note card, and they're not is for me. When they're new, it's a little tedious. Sorry, But when they're new, it's not so much that they're bad, it's just that they're not connected. I have a long joke of connected ideas. What you actually have to do is like building mosaic. You have to have all the little pieces. You don't write it as one long joke. You write a bunch of jokes and then find a way to connect together. So what I need is the pieces any a couple of one minute jokes. So I'm gonna try a joke about men's fashion.
Speaker 10: Do I have any other jokes about men's fashion.
Speaker 13: No, but I'm gonna get this one working, and then one day I will need a joke about men's fashion.
Speaker 10: And it's to get the perfect puzzle.
Speaker 4: Matthew Brissard is this weekend at the Landmark South Comedy Works location, and I feel like you're probably better for a for a smart audience, I hope, So I'd like to be well, I mean, you're a computational math nerds, so what else? I mean, what else do you need to know?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: Everyone, if you're an idiot, you can still come. Uh, there will be no math at the actual event. Maybe a math joke. But Matthew, thank you so much for coming in. I really appreciate it, and you're gonna crush it this weekend. Now I should ask you if you want to play our dumb game that we play at the end of every show. But some people are like they lock up in any kind of competitive situation. But I feel like you're smarty and you could probably pull us off.
Speaker 13: I have a website of over five hundred puzzles I designed myself on Monday find.
Speaker 5: It dot com.
Speaker 13: You do the cross road every day. I really really get intense about.
Speaker 4: Games you're in. It's called of the day and it goes like this here, sit right over there, right, and now it's time for the most exciting segment on the radio. Oven's gone hit it, Ryan.
Speaker 11: Do it?
Speaker 4: No, Ryan's got it.
Speaker 5: Of the day.
Speaker 4: All right, First we do Dad joke of the day. I don't know if you do any Dad jokes because you're not Dad yet. So we'll see what is our dad joke of the day. Please grant dad joke of the day.
Speaker 7: What occurred when the cup of coffee got offended by a joke?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 10: He steamed?
Speaker 4: Hah. Yes, there you go, Dad joke of the day. Today's word is today? Please we guess badly what this word might be.
Speaker 5: So what is it? Grant?
Speaker 4: I thank you? Guys will both guess correctly. Okay. Lucid lucid. Lucid means you're awake, in paying attention and conscious aware.
Speaker 10: It's aware.
Speaker 13: Yes, I was going to say, it's when your ego has been let off the leash.
Speaker 5: Oh I like that.
Speaker 9: You are.
Speaker 4: Much You did yes, I think we're right about that. Today's trivia question what Romantic Comedy stars Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan as friends who are considering taking their relationship to the next level. And if y'all don't know this, thank you, Brian.
Speaker 10: I thought you were going to say here today the Billy Crystal movie.
Speaker 4: Harris, and yeah, stop it anyway, Okay, now here's how this works. Matthew. We played Jeopardy and it's a blood sport on this show. So if you know the answer to the question, you do not have to wait until the end to yell out your name, Matthew, and then you answer in the form of question to yell out your name, and then you answer the form of question. What do you'll recognize? I've been doing this for a long time. We're just letting you know.
Speaker 13: Here it is.
Speaker 4: Ryan's won the last three what's her Jeopardy category? Well, we're going back to sports, so he'll probably for me to really know right category one.
Speaker 7: Okay, we will do propositional book titles, Oh god, Okay. This novel was originally published as Latour DuMond in Quatre Ving's Yours Matthews Ahead.
Speaker 4: Around the World in eighty days. Will wait, Matthew, I heard I took Spanish and not French, so eighty is.
Speaker 13: Actually literally four twenty cat is four twenty. They don't have the word eighty. Oh wow, wow, it's.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 4: Okay. Next question.
Speaker 7: This Stephen King novel has Chester's Mill, Maine suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field.
Speaker 4: Manny, what is it? No, that's the clown one day?
Speaker 10: Correct chess with the preposition I know.
Speaker 4: Preposition preposition?
Speaker 10: Matthew, what is into thin air?
Speaker 4: Incorrect?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 4: Crying anything, but I can't. I can't think of it right now? Is it under the dome?
Speaker 2: Moving on?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 7: And this Nick Hornby novel, a twelve year old misfit and a thirty six year old man child strike up a friendship, Manny?
Speaker 2: What is and men?
Speaker 4: Incorrect?
Speaker 7: That is a preposition, strike up a friendship that teaches them both valuable lessons.
Speaker 4: And it's not creepy at all that a man and a trial just strike up a friendship. That's a thirty six year old man child. Yeah, no, what is it about a boy?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: I got that.
Speaker 4: I've seen that movie.
Speaker 10: Ye Radius.
Speaker 7: Ran If you know this Hemingway novel is about Robert Jordan, who fights on the losing side many for whom the bell tolls. Correct, I'm back to one hate hemywell all right, and last one Virginia Wolf used a us.
Speaker 4: Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf? Never mind a Virginia Wolf? Youse, Stream of Consciousness?
Speaker 7: And this novel about the Ramsey family vacationing on the Isle of Sky.
Speaker 4: I need to read more books. Carlo Sky. We have no idea. What is that to the lighthouse? Yeah, that was a horrible category, but I think Matthew, you one was zero yeah, well at zero yeah, when we're out of time because we got to make room the unfortune coming in grace. Don't see Matthew? Were sorry the smart guy this weekend at Comedy Works. We'll be back tomorrow. Keep it right here on. We'll be back Monday. Keep it right here on.
Speaker 2: Kowa