Speaker 1: So here's kind of a funny story. You know, we always talk about the equipment doesn't quite work right here at iHeartMedia. So we are in another studio that we call Studio X, which is actually a larger studio. You notice is larger in here, is larger that way. It's much larger that way.
Speaker 2: Right. Also, there's a band aid sitting right there. That is disgusting. Why does it not surprise me that there's a band aid sitting right there?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: This is a studio that is rarely used. Ryan Seacrest has used the studio usually when a guest comes in and they need to broadcast back to their hometown. Ryan Seacrest has used this. Intern John has used this. And this used to be a radio station called Smooth Jazzoth Jazz, and I forget what the frequency was, but it was the station that we sold off. But it was a Smooth Jazz automated station.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was way before my time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now we call it Studio X.
Speaker 2: This is where I started my radio career in the studio doing what the interns. This is the studio we hung out with in every morning and did random production, like we would pull the podcast audio. It was so different back then how we did certain things, so it was a lot more work. We have better technology now, but yeah, I would sit in here, we would listen to the show. If suddenly Steve needed something from one of us, we would just do whatever he asked. Sometimes we'd go get coffee for the whole show. You know, I want an intern.
Speaker 1: That was the best one we had interns. I'd be like, hey, if you run down to the deli, there's a deli on the ground floor. I'd say, you know, I'll buy you a breakfast, and you run down and get because I would never be like, go get me a breakfast sandwich right there. But no, but no, we don't have interns. The reason there's a little backstory, and it's kind of interesting why we don't have interns because apparently, you know, interns were a thing like they are in many places, but they weren't getting paid. Sure, And there was somebody whose dad was a lawyer back on one of our East Co stations, and they were an intern, and their dad found out that they were doing things that paid employees were doing, but they were not getting paid. It was an internship, and so the dad raised a stink and basically said, Okay, I guess they realized that somehow it's borderline illegal. Yeah, to have interns not get paid.
Speaker 2: Were you paid to any No? I was not.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well how do you feel about that? Because without your unpaid internship, you would be, you know, doing something else. Possibly you wouldn't have gotten a break into radio.
Speaker 2: That's very true. I mean I don't look back at anything and wish it was different now. I can see why people say it should be different nowadays, But I mean, it would be nice to not have to make a little bit extra money and then I could have focused more on what I wanted to do with my life instead of picking up more shifts at Bubba Gums because I was always doing like two internships and working because I had to make money also, and my other internships were all paid internships.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I mean it's kind of a because one of the reasons people ask me how do I get into radio? Now not as often as they used to, but I used to say, go to college, get an internship at a radio station. But we don't do internships anymore. But the intern John literally got his start on a very powerful, successful career. He's huge in DC and Baltimore because he was an unpaid intern, and then other people are like, pay your fucking interns, and I'm like, yeah, I mean I wish we could. But at the same time that was such a gateway for many people to get into radio.
Speaker 3: I yeah, for I mean, just to speak on internships, obviously, I did not have an internship here, but I've had two internships that led nowhere, which never really happens. Usually people are like, oh, I was an intern first, and then I got hired on and then look at me. Now, it's all because I.
Speaker 1: Was an inn where you paid as an intern.
Speaker 3: I was a paid intern okay, yeah, and in two different places, and neither of them led anywhere else, even though I wanted them to.
Speaker 1: So it was where were they in?
Speaker 2: Well, they were both.
Speaker 3: Like theater kind of jobs. So one was like for a boys and girls club. I was an intern and they didn't have me back after the first summer I interned at. And then the other one was for a very large theater arts company that I was doing the job that they ended up hiring for after my internship was over and they didn't hire me.
Speaker 1: I don't really have much more to say about that. But before I forget, I wanted to bring up something that Jenny brought up off the air accord. It was something about Starbucks, and I will let you tell the story because I think it's a funny story.
Speaker 2: So Tina that used to work on a show, she had posted something about a drink at Starbucks. So I text her about it. I'm like, hey, is this how I'm supposed to get it? It was a pumpkin cream cold crew. Instead of the vanilla syrup, you substitute apple brown sugar syrup. And she's like, yes, you're gonna love it. It tastes like fall k in your mouth. And I was like why, I like my job literally hit the floor and I was like, no way, did you just say that? Like Tina can be filthy tis, but like that vulgar doesn't normally come from her. So I was shocked, and I also was intrigued, and so I had to go get it. And I will say I hated it.
Speaker 1: Really, you did a candle.
Speaker 2: It tasted I don't know, it had like no significant taste either way. It didn't taste too pumpkiny or too apply. And to be fair, I did do less of that of the syrup than you should because I don't like overly sweet drinks and I shouldn't have fucked with that, I don't think. But Tina was like, you have to go all in. You should have gotten like the full three pumps. And I was like, I just don't want that much sugar or whatever. So I didn't like it. And a couple people messaged me because I'd post about it on my Instagram story, saying they also didn't like it, but a handful did say that they did like it. So anyways, give it a try. I just don't know it.
Speaker 3: You'll have to text me what it is because I will forget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think something. And when I said I didn't like it, Andrew's like, you know, there's people who get paid a lot of money at Starbucks to make these drinks, to make them good, so why are you messing with what they already developed to be good drinks? And I was like, I know, I just assumed just was one of those VID dreams that people were it's the secret menu.
Speaker 1: I just thought that because Tina, to me is like demure, yeah, and what else?
Speaker 2: Is she cute?
Speaker 1: Mindful?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But when I heard Tina say that that, you know, because Tina was like I always loved Tina because she was she always acted like she was your friend, even if you barely knew her. But of course, you know, I'm her dad's age, so she would have never said that around me. So to hear that Tina said that just kind of makes me giggle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So all right, Bailey, here we go with your first email is for you. I met you at the Renfest this weekend. Want to give you a little backstory because I was too awkward to say what I wanted loll On the way to the Renaissance Festival, I told my husband if I saw Bailey, I gotta say hi. I knew you'd be working the chocolate stand. My husband rolled his eyes because he always made fun of how obsessed I am with the Dave Ryan Show. When I saw you, I immediately geeked out and got excited, but then for some reason got too shy to say anything, which is so unlike me. You were with the customer, so I walked bye and I said let's come back later. But then my husband yelled, Bailey, my wife loves you, Bailey from Katie WB she wants to say hi, but she's scared. Do you remember this?
Speaker 2: I do remember this.
Speaker 1: Yes, I tried shushing him, but you heard him and came right over to greet me. I don't remember what I said to you, ha ha, but I was so happy to meet you. Afterwards, I was with my friends. You ran up and gave me a chocolate strawberry, and it made my day that you thought to do so. All my friends thought it was so sweet. I have loved listening to you since you started as a guest, and I wish I told you how much I truly enjoy you on the show. I want to do attach an older email I wrote in almost a year ago, in hopes that it makes your day like you made mine. Okay, so let's read it. I got a scroll down. It says from Becky subject amazing Bailey. Hi. I just want to say how much I love Bailey on the show. She is so funny and cute. Her sarcasm in the banter between her and Dave reminds me of Fallon, but in a different way. By the way, issue Foullin. But I'm so happy for you. I hope you guys are testing her for the radio and hire her onto the team. She would make a perfect addition to the show. Her nerdy quirkiness, and I mean that in the best way possible, would fill a void that is refreshing and new. Love you guys. And they wrote that on October seventeenth of last year.
Speaker 3: That was like one of the first days I was on.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cute.
Speaker 3: She was really nice too, because I remember her specifically because she had really nice makeup and she had a very symmetrical face and she was wearing red.
Speaker 1: Very symmetrical face. Now that's an interesting way to describe somebody.
Speaker 3: Yes, her bif face was super symmetrical. She was very pretty, and I did give her a strawberry. And I would like to say I met a handful of the listeners and I only gave the strawberries to the ones that I really vibed with. Not that I mean if you're like listening and you were there and you said hi, awesome, thank you for saying hi. But some people were just like, oh, hey, love you on the show, have a great day bye. But if they were like actively, like super into it, and they're like, oh my god, this is so exciting. How are you, Like, Oh, how long have you been at whatever, and she was one of those people. So I was like, sweet, I got a hot second, I'll give you a strawberry.
Speaker 1: Are you authorized to give away star strawberries? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean technically I'm like a manager. And also like if they're if you have like family come up or whatever and they're being sweet or whatever, you can give out a strawberry. Oh I'm making magic. I'm making a magical moment for someone to give them a strawberry.
Speaker 1: Very nice. I just gave out two. Ww uh, Well, don't go crazy. Are you there again this coming weekend?
Speaker 3: I will be there, I believe every Sunday moving forward until the end of September.
Speaker 1: Okay, I saw the booth when I was there a week ago, but we didn't stop because you weren't. I wasn't there, ye, Dave Bailey, Jenny Vaunt. I am ripping off the band aid and submitting my first email to the Minnesota Goodbye. I've been a long time listener since the very early days of Dave, Lee and Pat. I am such a huge fan of this current lineup. I've seen Dave in person when he came by the Walk for Animals and was a guest MC the first year when it was at the fairgrounds. I remember I think it was a last minute arrangement, as I remember another radio show being advertised as being there. Jenny, I remember standing behind you at the Blue Barn at the State Fair a few years ago, but I was too shy to say hi because you were on your own time with Andrew and other friends. I think that's really nice. I think that I don't mind if people come up and say hi, even if I'm with Susan or Allison or Carson or whatever. I don't mind at all. But I also appreciate when people go, well, I saw you, but you were there with Susan and I didn't want to interrupt your date night or whatever. So I totally understand both ways. I have a question that's been burning on my mind since the podcast started. I remember a very special contest on KTWB that I believe was called The Fugitive. It featured an unknown person who was a fugitive on the run from KTWDB with the cash prize. Every day, this person was at a different location in the Twin Cities and called in with clues. This was probably the first contest I ever actually actively participated and drove around to find the fugitive. I am honestly surprised that no one remembers it or that no one has been asked. No one is asked about it. Any details that you could share would be great. I don't have many other people who listen to the Dave Ryan Show or podcast. Well thanks anytime I bring up a topic, my husband says, refers to the station as ka dweeb. Also, I thought of another clue to the Dave Ryan Minnesota Goodbye Drinking Show, and it's when Jenny says the word but and pauses the first part of the word lol. Do you know what that is, Jenny, I don't do. I say, but, I don't know. I can't think of it. Do I say?
Speaker 2: But? I thought you meant like I say the word but like the body part a lot. But you're saying, I say, but, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I'll be in my head about it now, though. Whatever it is, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: I'm going to send your address to Brianna to send you a staff writer sticker. I definitely remember the fugitive. It was back when we had a promotional budget and this fugitive had like five thousand dollars, and they would call in and say, like some rhyming clue that would say something about I don't know if we did it over a few days or a few weeks, but they say something like you'll find me at a place where two rivers meet or something like that, yeah, or you'll find me wearing a green sweater, or you'll find me. But it was poetic and clever.
Speaker 3: It was a real person.
Speaker 1: It was our promotion, our promotion consultant's wife. So we had a guy named Paige, and Paige was he was very, very creative, and he came up with this wonderful idea where you had to listen to clues as to where the fugitive was going to be, like look for the shadow of a clock and I will be there at ten o'clock or something like that. Yeah, And so you add up all these clues and one day we at first knew the clues were so vague that we didn't need to send them out there. But as the clues got more and more specific, then we sent the fugitive out wearing the whatever, the green sweater and the blue hat and the sunglasses. And it was usually like it like Minie Haha Falls Park, and if you went up and asked are you the KDWB fugitive and they were, you would win the money. So it turned out all these people were going up to random strangers and saying, are you the KDWB fugitive? And it was so clever and I mean seriously, guys. It was fifteen to twenty years ago last time we did it. Yeah, but it was a huge contest that we will never do again because we'll never have that kind of money again.
Speaker 2: I also am curious if we would be allowed to do something like that again, where you're going up to random strangers and being like, are you the fugitive? Like I feel like women nowadayes would be like get away from me, you know, like it'd be I don't know, it sounds almost a little weird to think about doing that.
Speaker 1: It's a shame that we have to think that way, but I think it has happened where we considered doing some sort of a contest. But that was the reason why we didn't want people approaching random people, either endangering themselves or endangering or scaring whatever.
Speaker 3: Bring up like hubbub though, like if somebody walked up to me and said, are you the KDWB fugitive. I'd be like no, and then I'd go home and I'd google it. I'd be like, well, well, now I want to know what the KDWB fugitive is.
Speaker 1: That's exactly one of the reasons why we loved it is because it got people talking. Next email, we were talking about unusual places you fell asleep. I talked about how I fell asleep at a WWE wrestling match. Stephanie writes in I consistently fell asleep at NASCAR races. Sitting in the sun after having a couple of glasses of wine ended up always making me tired. I'd fall asleep, and people around we were always confused how I could sleep in such a loud and crowded place. You wear earplugs, but it's still loud.
Speaker 2: So thank you white noise at that point, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Stephanie for sharing that one. Next one, the bloat is real. Now I'm gonna guess this is maybe a follow up.
Speaker 2: We Bailey and I did a lady's room last week talking about women in our bloating issues.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, well let me read this email from Dana. Ladies. Let me tell you how I got rid of the bloat three years ago. My cycles were so bad. I read and reviewed how taking a sip of apple cider vinegar a day helps. Turns out I had fibrid fibroid, so only a partial hysterectomy helped me out of that department. Best thing ever, by the way, I immediately started this after sipping ACV in the morning Monday through Friday for a couple of weeks, it dawned on me that I wasn't bloating anymore. It was amazing. To this day, I'm still sipping away and still no bloat. I buy the organic with the mother on it. I'm not sure what that means.
Speaker 3: That's like the big goopy thing that sits on top of the vinegar. It's called the mother.
Speaker 1: Oh seriously, yeah, oh okay. They even have it with honey, which helps with the taste. Tip after you sip, swish to help protect your teeth and get rid of slight burn in your throat. I don't sip on weekends or went away on trips, and guess what, I still don't bloat. It was a game changer for me. Give it a try. I hope it helps you and all the other listeners. Good luck, love you guys from Dana.
Speaker 3: And that is supposed to be good for your gut health in general too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I'll be honest. I've tried stuff like that before. It's ever worked for me, but maybe I haven't tried it enough. You know, if something doesn't work right away. Yeah, the goopy one.
Speaker 1: Here's an interesting one twelve year listener here from Mesa. I listened daily to the show and podcast, and even while I'm out of my normal routine, like in the labor and delivery room giving birth, or we'll traveling to Iceland, Maldives, Mouth Dot, Maldives, Malthieves, Yeah, to name a few. Growing up, my parents always told me they first heard my name on the radio, and that is how I was named. Recently, I came to find out they were listening to Katie but when they heard that name, I am almost thirty six. For reference, Dave, do you know of a Mesa Kincaid. Here is what Wikipedia says about her career. Kincaid worked in the seventies and early eighties at numerous stations, including KQRS, WCCO, and KSTP, but as best remembered as Cheetah or the Fox that Rocks on You one hundred, which later became KWBFM. Mesa also worked on the KQRS Morning Show with Tom Bernard, which was called The Cat and Kincaid Show. She was a pioneer in a male dominated industry and is known for her sparkling on air presence and on a more personal level, her deep compassion and sacrifice for thell she cared about thanks for all you do. That is from Mesa. I've never heard about Mesa Kincaid, and I'm amazed and impressed that she is mentioned on Wikipedia. Yeah, because most radio DJs are just not mentioned on Wikipedia unless they really, you know, made an impact.
Speaker 3: Then Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: Her name is the Cheetah.
Speaker 1: That's fun, The Cheetah, where did it go? The Fox, the Cheetah on the or the Fox that Rocks. Women in radio back then were definitely a unique thing, and a lot of them kind of talk, kind of sexy. And there was a there was one when I was growing up and she worked on a radio station in Colorado Springs Sheila or something, and she was like, yeah, it's Sheila Summers. Sheila Summers on Z ninety three. And I then got onto radio, and she was very sexy on the radio. And I sat next to her at a telethon one time, answering the phones to take pledges, and she looked like a normal, average, very ordinary woman. And I was a little bit disappointed.
Speaker 2: Because you thought she was a sexy, sexy yeah, and.
Speaker 1: She was very nice and very normal. But on the radio, she is like, Hi, it's Sheila Summers.
Speaker 2: We should do that next time.
Speaker 3: Dave's gone just be like, hey, everybody, it's one on one point three Katie WB.
Speaker 1: Is this a good idea?
Speaker 2: I'll have your mic on and I'll just keep mine off because I'll just I'm not good at impressions, actions, any of that stuff. I'll start I'll probably starting like a sex phone line too far. I'll take it too far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the very unique sex line that they call like, I want to get a lady who sounds like I've met her at a Wisconsin bar in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Okay, weirdo. Let's see. This one's about Roger's rescue Rye. This one we already read, so we might just about be done with a Minnesota goodbye. I will read this one really quick because I think it's important. It is Nick You Awareness Month. First of all, I love listening to you guys on my way to work. My seventh month old enjoys you as well. For the first part of my drive, September is nick You Awareness Month. I want to give a shout out to all the families that are in or gone through Nick You journeys and the care teams that get them through, and they talk a little bit about their their son and of the problem he was born with. He spent fifty six days in the Nick You at Children's Minneapolis where we're doing our show on this Thursday. He received his repair surgery at seven days old and has been meeting and beating milestones ever since. Shout out to nick You families and nick You staff. It is not a place you want to be, but we are so grateful they exist when they are needed. I'm going to read that one on the show because on Thursday, we're doing a I think it's called Give to Kids Day where we're trying to raise money for Children's Minnesota, and we've done a really good job with it the last couple of years, so they keep inviting us back and so we hope to do really really well with that. That is all I've got for the Minnesota goodbye. A little bit shorter than usual, but you know, adequate. It's adequate. Actually it's twenty minutes long. Didn't see what twenty minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't think it was too short.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well it flies by, all right. Send your emails to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com