Speaker 1: I was really annoyed that we are building this new kind of financial system and yet we're not using it. Crypto companies have historically had trouble getting bank accounts. We have these like Telegram support crew trying to figure out which banks will even talk to you.
Speaker 2: It's ten years from now, it's twenty thirty five. Are stable coins running through the rails of the economy of payroll or sending money overseas? Buy some coffee?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think unquestionably yes.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Uphold, which is a great crypto platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and stake crypto assets. Uphold has over three hundred plus cryptocurrencies, including bitcoin in all the top all coins, and they offer a crypto staking on over nineteen crypto assets. I've been a user of the platform for many years. They are safe and reliable, they don't commingle or lend out your crypto funds, and they are one hundred percent reserved. You can review their transparency report. Uphold also offers an amazing rewards program where you can earn up the five point two five percent on stable coins. This rewards program also allows you to get twenty four hour early access to new tokens that they list, and to participate, you just simply have to open the app once per month, deposit fifty dollars once per month, and trade fifty dollars once per month. And the stable coins that they support includes Ripples, r L, USD. You can earn up the five percent on that stable coin and five point two five percent on USBC. So if you'd like to learn more about uphold and all the great services they offer, visit the link in the description. Hey folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm your host, Tony Edward, and joining me is Megan Nab who is the founder and CEO of Franklin. Megan, great to have you.
Speaker 1: Great to be here, Megan.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to learn more about Franklin and all the great solutions you're building for businesses to handle their finances both on and off chain. As we've seen crypto adoption continue to grow, stable coin legislation has passed into law, so I think it's very timely I'm chatting with you, But let's kick it off with your background. Tell us a bit about yourself, where you're from, and your professional background.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, well, thanks again for having me excited to chat. Yeah. Background, native New Yorker, lived in New York most of my life. I got ended up getting into crypto actually sort of by being a New Yorker. In my early twenties, I was living in Bushwick, Brooklyn, with like a zillion roommates. I was working on Wall Street, going to business school at night. I would spend my weekends doing my grad school homework in a cafe in Bushwick that happened to be the Swallow Cafe, which was right below the Consensus Office which Consensus was an early venture product studio in the Ethereum space back in twenty sixteen, and happened to just meet some people that worked there and got hooked on crypto for a lot of different reasons, but one of them was proximity. So that's a very like quick quick background on myself. AM a classically trained accountant, worked as a staff accountant for a couple of years and really like got excited about the Ethereum space, specifically initially as a way to create open source accounting standards and so have been doing a bunch of wonky accounting technology out of initiatives since since then.
Speaker 2: You know what you guys, you were talking about being in Bushwick at one point. I think it was twenty sixteen. I think it was. I was living in Bushwick temporarily as my wife and I were transitioning to move to Jersey to Hoboken, So I we I'm at some point. Yeah, we may have crossed paths not knowing each other. But it's so funny how the world works. And and and I you know, we were in Brooklyn Highs for a while as well. You know you mentioned Consensus and the folks at etherorem and they're based in Brooklyn and been building for years. So it's so amazing how things have changed from small, small, startup, small industry to now this huge financial movement and new asset class.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, looking at things in retrospect, it is shocking how much has happened in less than a decade. I went to the Consensus offices in Bushwick actually a couple months ago for the first time in a long time, and it's funny, like a lot of it, it's still the same, but so much as the context is all different. So certainly like a thrilling industry to be in, and wouldn't want to be anywhere.
Speaker 2: Else absolutely, So tell us about what led to the founding of Franklin. Where did the idea come from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Franklin has. It was sort of just born out of frustration that I had personally doing accounting for Web three companies. It's my second startup, you know, after my last startup ended spent some time consulting doing basically just like fractional CFO services for different startups in the Web three space. And something that I noticed was all these companies are using the same kind of tradfy stack to build their businesses that you know, every other startup outside of Crypto was using. And I was so frustrated by that, and I was really annoyed that, like, we are building this new kind of financial system and yet we're not using it. So, yeah, born out of frustration, and so you know, I had a little bit of a background doing startup be things myself and started prototyping Franklin within a company that I was working at called Serotonin, which is a Web three marketing studio as well as a venture product studio, kind of like you know, a second generation. A lot of people that worked at Consensus were working at Serotonin, so it was like very easy for me to land there, but yeah, as the person running finance and you know, trying to help guide some strategy and how can we differentiate ourselves in market and how can we track Like the top web three to to come and work with us was, yeah, how do we start using this technology for ourselves internally? You know, what pieces of financial operations could we bring on chain? We had a lot of issues with managing payroll we had you know, when I got there, there were ten people. We grew it to over sixty people all around the world. The pandemic happened, everybody moved to or was initially doing remote working. So it seemed like a really good use case to figure out, like how can we enable this borderless, permissionless technology on our balance sheet. So prototyped it within Serotonin and then kind of before I knew it, we were spinning out, raising around, getting our first customers, hiring our team. Kind of a whirlwind moment.
Speaker 2: That's awesome and congrats, and you know, it's kind of the true entrepreneur's journey. You found a problem and you wanted to build a solution, and obviously you were very frustrated by that problem. So that's that's really cool. Now it break down to different services and solutions you offer for those who may not be familiar with the whole payroll set up, and how finances work on the back end for businesses, and how you're integrating crypto there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think when you're looking to hire your first employee into a business, there's like a very steep learning curve, especially when you're operating in the United States. There are a lot of labor regulations, there are a lot of tax nuances depending on where you operate. And the thing about like being in the US is every state kind of acts like its own country in a lot of ways, So you have a lot of administrative overhead. So there's some level of like how do we make this administrative overhead attainable and put it into these byte sized pieces for companies that are just getting started. You know, three years ago when I started the company, you know, most of the businesses in the web three space were just like very early stage startups figuring out how to like bootstrap to get together or they're just you know, getting in their first round of VC funding, so figuring out how do we go from like that zero to one and help them just start doing everything above board. The next piece is, yeah, like the money movement. So crypto companies have historically had trouble getting bank accounts and being able to maintain those bank accounts. So this is an area that like I have struggled with. We have these like telegram almost like support groups of people who work in crypto finance trying to figure out you know, which banks are we'll even talk to you in the first place. So there was another level of like, Okay, here is a set of vendors that we can create repeatable processes with so that companies can start up. And then what parts of those processes can we be moving on chain in a way that is maintaining a good user experience, making sure that you're now creating a lot of accounting overhead, and then also yeah, it's just faster, cheaper, and also compliant from like a HR labor regulation perspective. Sometimes companies, you know, I've seen kind of get into a tough spot where they are operating doing a lot of things on chain and then they have to go back and pay an outsourced accounting firm like one hundred thousand dollars that they don't really have or can't really ford just to clean up their books, and so figuring out how do we make sure all that stuff is easily kind of attainable from from day one was part of our you know, go to market thesis. There are a lot of pieces, honestly, but those are some of the first ones that we kind of started trying to tackle.
Speaker 2: So are you using primarily E theorem as to power some of these services or are you using other blockchains or do you have a layer two? How's that set up? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we launched initially actually on Polygon. We are EVM based and the crypto side of Franklin is all non custodial smart contracts, So yeah, you can operate on a theory mainenet, you can be on their layer twos like Optimism, Arbitrum, Base, et cetera. We have customers across all of those chains, and it is this other just kind of like innovation in payroll tech in general, where you can actually have a non custodial payroll product. And really all that Franklin is doing is helping you calculate an account for the payroll, but all of the money movement sits with you and your employees or contractors or whatever. So, yeah, smart contracts are awesome and they're the base of like our crypto kind of tech stack.
Speaker 2: So let's walk through a kind of a mock scenario here. I have the Thinking crypto podcast business. It's a small business, but I have a video editor, I have a podcast tech and they want to get paid in stable coins. Can Franklin help me to do that? And how would you help me to execute that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, one hundred percent they can. So basically, when you sign a company up with a Franklin account, we will deploy a smart contract under the hood that sits. You can interact with it through our app. You can also interact with it outside of our app if you prefer, and if you're comfortable kind of like making on chain smart contract calls. But basically, you get your own smart contract. Funds are never co mingled with another company smart contract or anything like that. That's another thing that's kind of unique about, you know, our architecture. And then when your workers sign up, like they sign up for any sort of payroll account or like build dot com account, they can connect a wallet and by that kind of like connection, it ensures that you're always paying the right person. Every single time we've seen crypto payments companies go through, you know, kind of like hacks or cybersecurity things by manual data entry or needing to do file uploads. This on chain smart contract signature ensures that never is a problem. So that's that's roughly how it works. There are a lot of other ways it can work too. If your company only has FIAT like USD and a bank account and you want to settle it out and and stable coins, we can also do that. If you want to fund payroll in stable coins, then have it settle in your employee bank accounts in FIAT, we can also do that. So there are a lot of different permutations of how it can work. We do work with some companies that are really they have absolutely nothing to do with crypto, and we are just moving stable coins under the hood for them to have a faster payroll cycle, which is something that I'm really excited about. I think it's the future of payments tech. But yeah, there's there's a lot a lot you can do.
Speaker 2: I want to double click on what you just said there with making the payroll cycle faster. Even though those folks have nothing to do with crypto, they don't even know maybe that's happening. How are you pitching that though? Are you telling them that this is being settled or being moved with stable coins. I'm just curious, you know, how you present that to them, given that to your point, this is the future because people are going to be interacting with stable coins whether they know it or not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to be honest, and I like extremely naively when some of these companies first, we were not pitching them at all, Like they had some kind of like forward thinking bookkeeper in their back office being like I heard, we can actually run payments faster if we're using stable coins, and like they googled us and found us, which was like very exciting to see, honestly. But yeah, I mean, there are a lot of businesses out there that have really compressed cash flows that like really put a lot of pressure on their business. We've seen an industry kind of like pop up around extracting value from those companies that are just trying to live paycheck to paycheck, so to speak. That should not be the case, you know, So the fact that you have all these middlemen between you and your workers or you and your customers, you know this idea that we can be using stable coins as a tool as a different kind of orchestration level of USD and speed up fun flows. It can totally change business models, it can totally changed compensation models, and so that's like really what we're excited about. I think, like in terms of the messaging, I don't think we've cracked the right messaging for it yet. You know, there's so much kind of like fud I would say still among like the general population around crypto. I think that stable points have a little bit of a different narrative as of like you know, maybe a month ago or with the advent of like the Genius Act, and it's just being in the headlines more in the United States, So you know, it is I think still kind of at this level of being like a little technical sciance. Like if you're talking to an accountant who has some like level of familiarity, it's an easy conversation to have to say, hey, we can move some of this on chain. There's no intermediary, you know, like that's it. It's just you and your money, and we can help you figure out how to do that. But I would say, for like the population is really not something that is easily consumable.
Speaker 2: Yet yeah, there are the education aspects still need to be done there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's something else that I think is a little insidious about the stable coins space and the prolition proliferation of stable coins recently, which is a lot of these stable coins are sitting in these walled gardens still and they're not that different from payments networks like ach or Swift because they're being totally custodied by banks or by other payments networks, And basically the value add is it's helping their bottom line and end users. Actually, if you look at using stable coins on you know, PayPal or some of these others, right, which no offense to those technologists that are building that tech, but it's a lot more expensive for the end user. And where's the innovation in that. The innovation of stable coins is that they can be non custodial and and I think that's something that we have to kind of keep a critical eye on as we see more of these trad fi companies starting to leverage stable coins, Like is it actually benefiting the end user or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a big part of it, many of them see the money tether's making they want to cut that revenue. They want to have the payout some of the treasury holding the debt and so forth. And yes, it's backing there, it's in part of the reserves. But they're making a killing. Yeah, and that's kind of the business almost versus hey, we want to make payments faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Two part question which stable coins are you supporting? And let's say my podcast sech once you get paid in bitcoin or Salon or XRP, can you facilitate that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we are not very prescriptive about the kinds of assets that our customers want to use. There are some limitations depending if you want to be off ramping or on ramping between fiat. The most popular one that our customers use by far is you SDC, which is issued by Circle that just went public this year. Some companies that have more of a global contractor base will use Teather, which is just more popular outside of the United States. The criteria that we have for supporting assets is really we can whitelist them in our app and then you know, we do a check to see like is it classified as a security. We cannot help or do anything in the securities realm since we're not a broker dealer, so we'll never touch that kind of stuff. Yeah, that's kind of the criteria most people want to use USDC. That's just like the reality of it. We do have some customers that will pay their employees in other kinds of assets, like we have one customer that pays their team and wrapped bitcoin. So the criteria does have to be from a technical side that it has to be an EERC twenty token, which is something that can interact with a smart contract in an automated fashion. Some things like we're going to add support for Solana. We don't have Ripple, never met anybody that wants to use Ripple, would love to chat to anybody who does. We're really much more kind of like demand focused. Do you have a lot of these kinds of like issuers come to us and say, hey, can you make us the preferred stable coin or preferred asset, and the answers always know it's our customer's choice what they want to use. We're rinding for a second, just paying people in other kinds of like assets that are not tied to a fiat currency. There are a ton of regulations around how that needs to work. And that's also one of the special sauces of Franklin, which is like, we will make sure that you are compliant with the labor regulations of your jurisdiction. So there's a lot of very interesting legal precedent for some of this kind of stuff, which goes back actually to Appalasia during the coal mining boom, where you had people working for coal mining companies that were getting paid and come any certificates and then could only use them at the company grocery store, and then you could never get out of that economy. And so you know, West Virginia with one of these states that actually led a lot of the modern sort of labor compensation regulations you know in the twentieth now twenty first centuries. So you have a lot of places say you have to be paid in a USD denominated asset. Some states will also just explicitly prohibit crypto. They have these like blanket regulations which we just can never touch. So that's why it's also important to have like this hybrid option where it's very hard to operate one hundred percent on chain natively right now, So having the spectrum of a flexibility and kind of like a nicer user experience packaged up in this piece of software is very effective.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. I love that you guys are agnostic when it comes to the assets, but you also make sure you're following the law and you know, not putting your clients at risk, but making sure they everything is copasetic with what they're trying to do. So that's really really great. And you have the flexibility as well. Do you think you know you being a disruptor a startup essentially right, and with this new awesome solution, you know, like an ADP might come knocking your door saying, hey, we want to acquire you when we want to bring you into our network or whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we have talked to a lot of these large payroll companies and there is not I wouldn't say it's not like monopoly, but ADP is the biggest payroll processor by far, and I think, you know, unless you're really nerdy focused on this space, they're really important for economic data, like the Bureau of Labor Statistics hasn't been in the news recently for a lot of political reasons, but ADP is an important indicator for like the broader economy around giving insights into private payroll data and employment trends. And that's just because they have such a massive reach. You know. There there's like they used to call them, I think, like the big four piece or the four piece something that paychecks, paycore whatever, like these guys take you know, the majority of the United States employees are getting paid through one of these softwares. We you know, are going back to kind of like what I was mentioning before, Like I am so excited about cryptotechnology and have been for so long, and I'm so concerned about it getting co opted by these like big brands that are using it to extract a value. Like the real innovation of this technology and why it's interesting is it because it can foster peer to peer transactions. And so that's that's our mission, you know, like we do not want to become another intermediary that extracts value along like the finance chain. But that being said, like we want to also kind of have a say in how this technology gets deployed. And so you know, all of these company are looking at how do youse stable coins and if we can have a say and how they can use it to be able to facilitate peer to peer, non custodial types of transactions, Like we definitely want to be as part of those conversations to try and manage those outcomes. So that's what I would say there. There is like a little bit of, to be honest, like a cultural difference where you know, you look at something like ADP and the software looks like something that was built in nineteen ninety nine and such. Working with such a legacy tech stack is really hard, but the distribution channels are very appealing. So you know, it's I think the thing that every entrepreneur thinks about, whether you know, how do you get your investors or returned, and like how do you think about the rest of your professional career. Certainly, yeah, those are the considerations I have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. And you know, I most recently interviewed the EVP of Digital Assets and blockchain and MasterCard, and they're exactly what you're saying. They're looking at, how can we leverage stable coins, USDC or whatever it may be to improve payments in certain corridors, And they're you know, you can see they're going through their R and D and trial and error. So it seems like at some point, whether it be ADP or whoever they're going to have this moment. Okay, we need to figure out what we're doing here or we're gonna get disrupted. We're gonna lose market share. Because with the Genius Act pass, we should see a whole bunch of new stable coins. Banks are talking about launching stable coins like Bank of America and much more, and we'll see which ones survive. But obviously Tether's king of the held USDC right behind. So it's just fascinating to see how this is all going to play out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, super interesting. And you know, I have a past history working in equities brokerage, and I loved your episode with lad from Robinhood like thinking about like how digital brokers can, like the equity stack is so full of legacy tech, and thinking of different ways to implement blockchains in those flows I think are really effective. I think that, like, yeah, it's tough. There's a lot of talk around tokenization of assets, which is very cool, but if these like the actual fundamental assets themselves are not living on a blockchain, a tokenized version of it is higher risk. You know, it's almost like a marketing asset in a lot of ways, and so, but it's a great thing to experiment with. Like if we think about the earlier days of crypto or at least the etherorem space in twenty sixteen, the Ico boom, like it was a massive experiment and like, I think the industry learned a lot from it. And I almost see the same thing happening in with banks, with equities brokers, with all these kinds of things. So we'll see, we'll see what the outcomes are and the lessons.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and hopefully, you know, with the upcoming Clarity Act, that legislation which covers more uh you know, obviously because it's the market structure build it covers DeFi and tokenization on a lot of different things. That helps to put some guardrail in place. And hopefully we don't see any major collapses or anything like that. But you know, what would that mean for your business we're having that pass into law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's a good question. The I think overall having these pieces of legislation is like a massive net positive for the industry. It's almost surreal to see it happening, you know, just having anybody who's worked in the industry for more than five years, like it's wild to see it being talked about like at the level of the White House, to see the like bipartisan legislation going through Congress. As a side note, I have a maybe hot take on US politics, which is like crypto is the thing that will make Congress work again where we have such a divided country, like the only thing that people can agree on is crypto and regulating crypto, and you know, maybe that's like build some goodwill to deal with other societal issues that Congress has to work on. Aside from that, we'll see. I think like the Market Structure Bill is important. I think one of the things that's like a fundamental issue with how the US regulates financial markets and capital markets is like it is very much like by enforcement, and this bill is not going to change that so much. And it's really like can we have like more effective kind of enforcement agencies that really go after the bad actors. It's almost like a little bit of a political problem like we think about, you know, in our recent history, like FTX was so involved in talking to regulators and we all know what happened there. So I'm not totally confident that this bill will like really change that, but I am hopeful that it will. It's hard, I think to look at crypto like only the crypto legislation without like some of the other pieces that need to fall in place, like across capital markets. So you know, I think about accreditation rules that the SEC has. I think some of those need to change as well, and that can lead to enhanced access and also better consumer protection. So there's a lot of stuff that I want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, it said hard question for you. It's ten years from now, it's twenty thirty five. Are stable coins running through the rails of the economy from a payment standpoint, whether it be payroll or me sending you some money via an app, or I'm sending my cousin some money overseas, or I go to Starbucks and I buy some coffee. Our stable coins running behind all these things. And initially, you know, I guess where I get my money via payroll. It's powering the payroll, my paychecks and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, unquestionably. Yes, We're working actually on a paper right now with some of our payments fintech friends about just the history of payments networks ACCH swift. We have in recent history our TP and FED now which have both emerged in the in the last couple of years, and stable coins have really come up alongside these technologies, and I think we'll probably usurp them entirely. I think the question is, like stable coins are going to be powering payments, no question. How will that look like? Will they be in these walled garden payments networks, like in a master Card payments network using a master Card stable coin where you know you're not really seeing it as a consumer, or like will you really have these more non custodial type of fun flows. We'll see, you know. I think like when we look at emerging economies that are like a digital base, so like areas of Africa, ors of South America, like they have had digital money, not crypto that is peer to peer for much longer than we have had in sort of like you know, the the US, Europe, things like that, Like I kind of think about that, like how did that emerge? How how will we see like our own version of like much more digital money kind of emerged. Yeah, we'll see, but I'll certainly be powered by stable coins. Like what flavor of stable coins? I'm not totally sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm very curious as to what what that's going to look like. And to your point, which stable coins and is it a you know, multiple stable coins and they are all interoppable and multiple blockchains and vendors accept these multiple stable coins, and you know, is it more or less account based and more wallet based where we're all self custodying. I get my pay it's not on a weekly basis, maybe a daily basis, and then it's all in my same wallet and I could transact, you know, kind of all in one app thing, go make my purchases and my it's my bank account I earned yield, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it. Yeah, like will wallets like usurpent accounts is a great question, I hope, so you know, I hope so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be so fascinating. And then you know, I've often, well I shouldn't say often. I've recently had some folks who are in the robots industry, and you know, we were talking about robots are not going to transact in cash. It's gonna be digital currency and most likely stable coins, and to have a built their own built in wallet and maybe in ten years we'll have robots in our homes. Elon's building it. Other companies are building it, and I can say, hey, robot, whatever your name is, go to home depot and get me this, and it can go make the payment and it's done in stable coins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean ten years from now, like if we just really zoom out, it's gonna be totally it's gonna be a crazy life, you know. I think that one thing that and stable coins are like a small piece of this broader sort of tech revolution that we're going through in general, where robotics is part of it. AI is obviously something that is in the news a lot, but crypto is really like perfectly suited for like agents AI agents to interact with, for automated technologies that are a little bit more advanced to be able to use. And I think, you know, sometimes listening to some tech podcasts, it's kind of like, yeah, you're just going to be managing a lot of agents who are actually doing a lot of the work though, like kind of grunt work. And so we think about it now that you do now, So I think that that will be definitely something. I would love to have a robot like clean my house for me and like go whatever, which you know, we have some early steps like I have a rumba, I have an automated mop thing like what they're getting there, like they get smarter? Like sure. I think something else that is worth thinking about too, is just like when we have instant money, like instantly settled money, Like how will that change business models? How will that change how we interact with our jobs, with our friends, like with our family. When you have things like Venmo and zell, like it seems instant, like it feels instant, but it actually creates a lot of float in the economy. With cash that's getting settled between financial institutions, it creates a lot of risk. There's a lot of chargeback risk, right that fintech companies have to or you know, normal financial institutions have to eat. But I think that there's just some level of like transacting will fundamentally be a different thing, and like the technology under the hood will be different, but it's like almost the social context around it will be totally different too.
Speaker 2: It's like exciting but scary to see in time, to see how all these things are going to come into fruition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, it's interesting, like we offer much faster pay cycles and there are payroll companies that have things called like earned wage access programs that you can get part or all of your paycheck faster for a fee, Like we do this much differently where you can just get paid what you've earned, no additional fees. Things like that. But when we look at like that, the reporting infrastructure for it, the compliance infrastructure, like the IRS doesn't really have a way for us to report instant payments, you know, like they're like, well, there's a calculation if you do it daily, or a calculation if you do it weekly. Like there's a lot of this legacy crap that's going to have to catch up as well.
Speaker 2: That's a great point because the government is slow. They still have outdated processes and softwares and whatever it is. Do you think eventually they're plugging into these different blockchains and these different companies and kind of like an API set up, they're getting the feed and they have eventually a software that is Web three native that is like a chain analysis right, kind of like a data and analytics and it's aggregating everything, it's categorizing everything, and it's making it easier for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there's that, Like I like the the tech infrastructure upgrades will be there. Something that I think is interesting is like you know, in the US specifically, like we're US based companies, so we're very US like you know, policy centric. The IRS knows how much money you make, like we're reporting how much money you make every two weeks or whatever, and we go through this weird song and dance where it's like, Okay, now I have to report my personal W two or ten ninety nine. The government already has this information. They know exactly how much you owe. You have to kind of take a guess at it, and then you know, it leads to this very like annoying kind of like tax season where you wait for refund or whatever, like things go on for years. A friend of mine just got a notice from the IRS that said he was over refunded in twenty twenty one, and now he owes them a couple thousand bucks, And it's just like this. You know, there is a big private industry that wants to keep this kind of chaos the same because they make money off of it. These like kinds of intermediaries, the biggest one is into it. You know, it's well documented how much money they spend lobbying Congress so that they can keep turbo tax, which is one of the most popular tax software is one of the richest sort of like software revenue generating things by far. Will these private industries like co op this technology to like maintain their positions, you know, or can we get the government to like want to upgrade themselves instead of relying on these kind of private sectors, you know, I would, I would love the latter. But it's it's not a question of like the tech being there, it's a question of like the willpower to implement it and to use it in a certain way. I think in a lot of these kinds of instances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great point. And plus you throw in, like you said, the lobbying, the you know, the craziness of politics, and that could hit your progress and getting these new things in place. But hopefully we can, you know, and sooner than later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Tell us a bit about what's on your roadmap.
Speaker 1: What can we expect, certainly, and there's some like base level of ecosystem expansion we have been EVM based. There are other kind of ecosystems outside of ethereum that are interesting that we see customer demand for Solana being one of them. So I think that there's some level of that that we're looking into. You know, a lot of payroll companies right now make money not because of running payroll, but because of the added benefits that they offer workers. So you know, your cost per unit for like an ADP customers like four to five dollars not very much. Your like profit on that is even lower, like probably fifty percent lowers. But you can make a lot more money by offering them healthcare and then you get a kickback from the insurance brokers or companies. You know. All that kind of stuff really bothers me. I don't I don't like it. And so one thing that we're trying to think about fundamentally is like how do we make companies running payroll? Like how do we move that from an expense area of their their P and L up to you know, an asset on their balance sheet? Like can you be making money off of running payroll? You have massive treaturies at companies that are just sitting making no money while they're going through an extremely long fun flow process to settle payroll payments. Like faster payments also means you have a lot more opportunity to be earning money off of that. And so that's something that like we're thinking about at the corporate level, like how do we help companies like actually make money instead of like you know, be paying these massive like opch op x expenses. And we have like a couple different theories about how to do that. We did just release a yield product where companies that have stable coins sitting in smart treasuries could be earning yield through different DeFi protocols. Yeah, it's really kind of like how do we sort of try and bring about a business model shift and you know, really stay true to this kind of value of not being like an extractor along the way. So so that's kind of where my mind is at.
Speaker 2: That's great. I really love the deep like DeFi component you mentioned. If the companies have whether we stable coins sitting there, they can put it to work and earn Yeah, that's really great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's palatable for certain type of customer. Other types of customers like you know, don't have that kind of risk tolerance, which is completely understandable, and so what can we do for them too? And there are there are a lot more options now, so yeah, so that's that's all under development.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, all right, I got some wrap up questions here for you, Megan. First, if you could create your own metaverse, what would the theme be?
Speaker 1: It would probably be like garden themed. I'm really on a Martha Stewart kick. I just watched her documentary and Netflix and I just think that she was so ahead of her time in so many ways. So it would be like a Martha Stewart crypto native thing. Yeah. It kind of goes with the ethereum infinite garden idea as well instead of walled gardens. So there's there's a there's a cute theme there.
Speaker 2: I think awesome rapid fire questions.
Speaker 3: Favorite food Panier Tica Masala, favorite musician or Ben Dispatch, favorite movie Spy with Melissa McCarthy, Favorite book Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
Speaker 2: And when you're not working at Franklin, what are you doing for fun?
Speaker 1: I'm walking my dog around the Upper east.
Speaker 2: Side, Megan. Absolute pleasure. And I love what you and the folks of Franklin are doing and definitely a big part of the future of how we are going to get paid and much more. And I would love to have you back on in the future. Maybe you can do it in person since you know you're in New York and but yeah, you know, thank you.
Speaker 1: It would be awesome. Yeah, really appreciate it and having such a great conversation and like, let's get keep it going