Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Breaking News with Me Jeff Grub, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about tariff chaos, which is making Nintendo bulk on switch to pre orders, at least in the United States. It's gonna be a show. I don't know if it's a good one. I got Jane show with me. Jan, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Nothing nothing bad could happen today or yes, far.
Speaker 3: As I'm aware, nothing bad can ever happen to us.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's that's true. As long as you keep smiling Grub, everything's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. I just want to be stupid and happy, Jan, that's all I need.
Speaker 1: It's not working. Uh yeah, we're gonna get into it all, but boy, it is. It's hitting the fan today. It's really it's gone sideways and it just feels like hopeless and it feels like it could get worse in a lot of ways, you know, And that's just the video games.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, it's gonna be a show, everybody. Let's explain what.
Speaker 2: We Grab your power gloves, grab your Nintendo zappers, call your representatives and head to the lighthouse.
Speaker 1: Now do something, somebody do something, Go get you know what. Actually, let's just send a Paul record after him. I think that's what we do. I think we can get him to annoy him just into submission. I think that's possible. All right, let's explain what we do here. Let's just get into it. Most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on Twitch, welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game break News or find the RSS on Harss feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Nintendo switch To. Preorders have been delayed due to tariffs. Release date is still as of now June fifth. This is from Stephen Petite at GameSpot, who got this statement from Nintendo. Pre Orders for Nintendo switch To in the US will not start on April ninth. In April nine, twenty twenty five, in order for us to assess the potential impact of tariffs and the evolving marketing conditions and then parentheses in the United States. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June fifth, twenty twenty five is unchanged. So there's obviously a lot of sides to this, but just right there. They were originally going to begin preorders with retail partners and themselves.
Speaker 3: Nintendo is going to do pre orders through their website beginning on a April ninth.
Speaker 1: Some people we are already getting their confirmation emails from Nintendo saying exactly that, and the system is going to be four hundred and fifty dollars and then five hundred dollars bundled with Mario Kart World. That already felt like very high prices, and that's jen they were definitely predicting tariffs, like they factored tariffs into that price in the United States, and of course then that.
Speaker 3: Filters out to the rest of the world. That's just how it works.
Speaker 1: They were like, Okay, he's been talking about twenty twenty five percent tariffs, especially on China. He has a bone to pick with China constantly. Earlier this year, for Akawa was talking about how they were going to deal with this. They were asked explicitly about the potential of uncertainty and tariffs, and they told investors and the people that represent investors that, hey, we are diversifying where we produce these things, including Vietnam and Cambodia and lo and behold. Hours after the Nintendo switched to reveal on Roperation Day itself, Janichoa, Donald Trump announced, I think it's forty six percent and forty nine percent trade embargoes tariffs on Vietnam and Cambodia.
Speaker 3: Those are they are the ones that actually get hit the hardest.
Speaker 1: So that what that just all that really means is when Nintendo ships those consoles in from those countries, and I suppose like there's always they could get creative and try to launder them through some.
Speaker 3: Other country, I guess.
Speaker 1: But all countries across the world had like a baseline tariff built in now of like ten percent. Most of them have higher than that though, like the UK has a ten percent tariff that's new and that's just baseline, but most people are higher than that. But if they try to ship a console from Cambodia or Vietnam or China, which is also going to have high tariffs, obviously they will have to basically pay about an extra fifty percent on the price of that good. So that's all the money now they were expecting twenty twenty five percent, mostly just on China, and that like the pricing reflects that. The pricing sort of you know, we know what they want to charge for this thing, jan or like what they like in a perfect world. Yeah, but they would have been okay with charging on the low end, which is what they charged are charging for the Japanese language only region locked version of the switch to in Japan that they're going to sell it retail there. That's about three hundred dollars three hundred, three hundred and thirty dollars in that range. You add you know, twenty five percent on top of that, and you get to about what the price is here. Uh, and then you have to factor in a currency as well. So yeah, like that it made sense like they were like, we're going to price this same, We're going to go to the high end so we can be prepared and be agile, And no one was thinking that there would be about fifty percent tariffs on Vietnam and Cambodia. Clearly not Nintendo, but no one was. It was just it was just completely out of nowhere. It is insane. It's bad policy. It just straight up is bad policy. No one was expecting this, and now Nintendo's in a just unprecedented position of having to figure out, like, are they going to raise the price on this or what are they going to do?
Speaker 3: I mean, Jim, what like what happens next? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I absolutely have no idea. And it seems insane that there are people look trying to look on the positive side of this and trying to push forward the ideal of, oh, why does Nintendo just make these consoles in America? Yeah, let's go ahead and try and create an infrastructure a workforce that is nonexistent. Yeah, let's go make these in Washington, where Nintendo's based out of an America. Yeah, where is any of these chips going to come from in America? It is absolutely insane. It is asinine to think that that is something you can do, and to think that none of this is targeted, that none of this is politically motivated by these tariffs. Being specifically put onto Vietnam, Cambodia, China. Is It's insane because Grup like they were already trying to build the price in with the four fifty, the five hundred, and to see the projected price of how the region locked switch to is going to be in Japan, the cards are on the table and the cards are shit. It is too late the fold now for us in the States, I don't know. Nintendo is in a terrible spot and it is absolutely wild to me that the Nintendo switched to maybe the catalyst or people, I hate to say this to finally wake the fuck up.
Speaker 1: It does feel like a moment, you know, in the Nintendo's position is bad. Obviously, everyone's relationship to this country right now is pretty bad, including the people who live here us. It's a you know, do process is now a question that's fun.
Speaker 3: So we got a lot of issues. It's bad for everyone.
Speaker 1: I think you're right though, despite you know, this government disappearing people. This is the kind of stuff that does break out. This is like everyone's like, look, I can't I don't know what to do about this country saying the Constitution is applicable only in certain circumstances. That's big and scary, and I feel the same way. I don't know what to do about that, but I was really looking forward to the switch too. To help me forget about all this. I was watching some people play Mario Party today and I was getting excited about a Mario Party game.
Speaker 3: So That's where I'm at, and I'm I was, I'm like, I know for a.
Speaker 1: Fact now that I was so ready to pay the price that they had already announced, because I'm like more mad now I'm not gonna be able to pre order this thing on April ninth. And this is such a weird, awkward thing for a very like you know, switch to announcements all over mainstream news yesterday. Right, it's a big new consumer electronics product that gets headlines from Marketplace on him and USA Today and all the nightly news shows things like that, this sort of quick reversal and and them explicitly stating it's because of tariffs. It's going to break through to that that that mainstream news as well, and maybe does bring more attention to just how crazy this is. Although everyone is well aware of a stock market diving and all that stuff, and and cog once again over sessions and uh yeah, this it's bad from every angle, but it's this kind of lightning rod that can cause people to maybe.
Speaker 3: Pay more attention than they would otherwise. I yeah, go go no, no, no, go ahead, Sorry it was good, Okay.
Speaker 1: So the other side of this, obviously, is why stop pre orders if you know you're gonna end up charging the same price? Right, Like, they're stopping pre orders because they're like they're not sure if this is the price they're going to go with anymore. And really, I don't think they would stop pre orders even if they weren't sure. I think they're sure they're going to raise the price again. So let's uh, let's go with this next story from Jessica Cogswell over a game spot switch to price likely to increase as Nintendo pulls US preorders over Trump's new tariff policies. Following President Trump unveiling the controversial new tariff plan, Nintendo has announced that it is delayed US preorders, originally scheduled to start on April ninth. A Nintendo representative has since confirmed this state has been pushed back indefinitely in order for the company to assess at the potential impact of tariff's and evolving market conditions. As such, it is likely we will see a sizeable increase in the console's price before it is relisted. The full statement, which was given to GameSpot via Nintendo spokesperson, could.
Speaker 3: Be found below. It's that one we already read.
Speaker 1: Nintendo's latest console has already been the subject of scrutiny and more than a few jokes due to its four hundred dollars four hundred and fifty dollars price tag and the cost of its upcoming first party titles. Following its reveal, Mario Kart World made headlines as Nintendo's priceiest game. It doesn't include a physical accessory, and yet it seems like prices will only go up from here. Okay, so let's I mean, let's do a little math. I guess back that I'm not going to get a calculator out or something like that. But back to the Napkin math. If it was twenty five percent on just one of the territories in which they were producing this thing, and it was you know, three thirty up to four fifty equivalent from the Japanese yen over the US dollar from the Japanese market to the US market or the global market. Uh, make that fifty percent instead, and you know we're talking five hundreds five point fifty. I mean at that point, maybe six hundred dollars because you don't know what's going to happen next. The reality is they don't know if these tariffs are going to go through, but they have to operate under the assumption that they will because if they do, they're there. They're screwed. They you know, it's Nintendo. They hate lose money. We could definitely argue that they could just sell these things at a loss. They are probably going to have to sell these things at a loss, but there's no way they were making a fifty percent profit margin on the hardware, not this early on. Even though they use our old hardware. Components are still hard to come by. Like it's that that that they still have to get in line for the you know, for the fabricators to actually make these chips, and there's a lot of other smaller chips that you know, they have to get in line for. And that stuff has since the pandemic, been hard to come by. Now they can demand a lot. They it's Nintendo, they have a customer or they have vendors that will serve them, but that stuff was already going to be expensive. I think that the likely scenario whore is they try to just jacket up fifty dollars and call it a day, five hundred five point fifty, and you know they're not going to be alone in this.
Speaker 3: If these teariffs stand. Yeah, clearly PlayStation.
Speaker 1: Is going to go up, Xbox is going to go up, so it's gonna make Nintendo not look like the outlier the way it did on April second.
Speaker 3: But I'm how much can we really stand? And at a certain point it's like, does.
Speaker 1: God to you even release this system? Obviously they're going to, but it just feels like, why are we even doing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Grub, it's not just going to be consoles that are going to start increasing prices. It's going to be everything that uses chips, every and that's appliance is across the board. Now with how are day to day has been affected by having smart devices in every little thing, your game sets are gonna start rising in prices. But the thing that I start worrying Grub is that the the government has been able to kind of clamp down and take away certain websites from certain states here in America, right because that is considered though it messes with their agenda and everything and with and those people have been able to get by using other means. Now, the fact that this console may be priced in a way that is out of the realm of possibility for some people to get. I know that some people may be budgeting for three, four or five hundred dollars, this may be going up to six hundred dollars, maybe seven hundred. And the price of games also increasing, and that audience, the gaming audience, becoming suddenly very vocal and now a very important part of the voting demographic or whatever. I could see this government starting to clamp down on video games in a very hyper specific way that is asinine and so fucking backwards in the world.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, they could try to implement tariffs on digital goods, like they really could. That money is going out of the country, let's tax it on its way out, like when you make a digital purchase. That that's something I think Trump, why would he not want.
Speaker 3: To do that? He would he would want to do that. That's money that he would want to capture. And like, just like tariffs, are bad policy. Has said that earlier, like why does he like them so much?
Speaker 1: It gives like, just imagine you're in a position and you are obsessed with people coming to you and bending the knee and begging you for stuff and putting you in the position where you get to say yes or no to the thing that they want most. Trump or Trump's for Trump tariffs are that. Every single time, every single single time he suggests a tariff, all of the leaders of all these businesses come to him and ask for exemptions. And so he loves this stuff, and we're going to get more of it, not less. It's like the one thing that he keeps doing, Like why is this the one policy we keep coming back to, because it's the one policy that leads directly to the thing he needs most, which is people coming there and saying how much they love him and.
Speaker 3: How loyal they are to him.
Speaker 1: So yes, imagining ways in which this could expand into other aspects of our lives, into other aspects of video games is reasonable because it's probably going to happen, like it's probably going to happen.
Speaker 3: And then if.
Speaker 1: This does lead to a situation where there is a backlash because of this video game company saying they're going to delay things or raise a price explicitly because of Trump's tariffs. You're right, he could get petty and come back and begin regulating the industry and making things more expensive in other ways, or prohibiting things from being sold here certain games. Yeah, and who's gonna stop them. They haven't been able to stop him doing anything else, So yeah, this could get really out of hand. And again, it's just it's just video games. It's not people disappearing or do process being erased from the constitution.
Speaker 3: But it's all part of the same thing. So it's worth talking about.
Speaker 2: And I see people saying, well, he might walk it back, he might take it back, and it might whatever. But the reality is he already put this on paper to see if he could get away with it and see the outrage that, Okay, if it's not I'm not increasing terrorists by this percentage, I'll increase it by this percentage instead, and then or he'll delay it.
Speaker 1: For a month and then get bored and do it again, which is what he's done over and over exactly.
Speaker 2: So he's just like pushing and pushing and pushing to see with what what he can get away with, the reality is he's going to keep trying to do that, even if he takes his word back on the existing tariffs now or whatever else the agenda he's going to push forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this price could go up a lot, and you know, I think as they will try to, they could even raise it globally, although I don't think they will, but that could increase arbitrage.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Part of this could be then deciding like, let's allocate more systems to other territories while the US sort of sorts this whole thing out, So there could be a huge supply crunch, worse than it would have been otherwise.
Speaker 3: It's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to go back to the idea of this creating domestic industry where these things are manufactured, No, that's that won't happen. But even if it did, it would take decades. It would take literally decades for that to happen. So it wouldn't have any effect on the switch to and he if he like, I don't even want to like entertain that that's what this is about. It's it's never really about that, Like he doesn't give a shit about anyone, Like, of course he doesn't, are you joking like this idea that why he listened to the news, and they're saying the reason he's saying he's doing this is because it's going to reindustrialize America, which you know some experts disagree with. Like to even credulously and entertain that idea is in embarrassment. We shouldn't be doing that. And but like like if we want to play in that space, just like to like pretend for a second. Nah No, it's like it's a completely different economy than it was one hundred and fifty years ago, and you just shouldn't be surprised. And then the people that could work those jobs, we don't let them in the country anymore, or we kick him out, We round them up, and then we send them to our Salvador.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we accident wort them and put them in jail. Yesh god. Our friend of the site, Michael mikey O'Leary had Blue Sky posted on Blue Sky that you know it's worrying when Warrio sixty four has to put a price in parentheses. Yes, because the prices may go up and up and up.
Speaker 1: Yep, I am I still really want this thing. I want I want to switch to you know, I want to find a way to get it right. In this moment, it feels like, what is that even.
Speaker 3: Going to look like?
Speaker 1: Should I try to pre order one in Windsor and go up there and cross the border and try to sneak it across without telling customs?
Speaker 3: So then I cause I think I would have to pay the tariff if I did that. Like, I don't know how that works exactly. I'm I'm no expert, but like you have to declare it. I don't know, so I'm gonna be a bootlegger. Jan, It's kind of what I'm thinking now.
Speaker 2: Dan and I wound up on CBC, the Canadian broadcast channel. Maybe it's just time to move everyone up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't. Hey, let's do it. You guys were big stars there on the CBC. I like to see in that. Hey, you did get to see this thing, Jan, You got to watch Dan Foy a lot of games, you know, while you know a lot of people were yelling at Nintendo about, you know, lower the price, lower the price.
Speaker 1: What was the vibes like at the event itself? For like, like, this is pretty good? Right, That's kind of how you guys came away from it.
Speaker 2: Have you ever what's the opposite of being in a burning building where everything else around you is burning, but sure inside or having fun?
Speaker 3: This is this is actually fine.
Speaker 1: You're the dog this time, actually in a safe split space, and the forest across the street is burning this time.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, when I say I got that dog in me, that is the dog I'm talking about, politely sipping coffee wearing a fedora, saying this is fine. The vibes inside were immaculate, grub like. Everything was great. We were all having fun, and then we step outside. Okay, Sean a bunker, right, Yes, that's what.
Speaker 1: We're talking Yes, yeah, okay, you were in the Nintendo The Apocalypse doomsday bunker.
Speaker 3: That sounds great to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The vibes, it's all just one big rumpus room. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, everyone was super excited, grub like. Uh and you know, Dan and I will probably talk about this later on BCR, but it felt very much like an old press event, like an E three.
Speaker 3: Of your uh.
Speaker 2: You got to see you like one peers in media. You got to see games journalists grub like people existing in this profession all together and like just chatting and talking together and sharing the excitement. And sure there was the undercurrent of the room of like the price, because the price wasn't announced during the direct and then like slowly people were learning about what this was supposed to cost, but the game cards were supposed to cost. But there was still the overall excitement in the room about like, Yo, this thing works. This thing is not a wee you, this is the switch to This is like the sequel, and this is gonna be like the Back to the Future two of the original hit movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah I am Yeah, I was watching those videos. You guys did a great job. It got me all excited.
Speaker 1: Although I definitely understand the price anxiety, and I and the people yelling at Nintendo, it's like, yeah, you got to apply pressure where you can so them. Everyone's spamming chat for hours, staying over the price. But here we are, and this is the exact thing that they were not certain about.
Speaker 3: I do. I'm like trying to imagine like what they can do here.
Speaker 1: And that's really like people, we do we do this show jan and I'll talk about like what these companies are thinking. And that's not like some magic formula or magic insight. All you have to do is what if it was your money, Like, that's all you have to do. Imagine this was your money and you had a product and you were going to sell it at a price, and someone came and told you, now, we need fifty percent of those dollars that you just made from selling that. That's now ours, and okay, you're left with you were going to sell it for now you have two fifty Your margins were not two hundred and fifty dollars. They were probably closer to something like in Nintendo's case, maybe twenty five percent, and that's why they were at the price they were at. And so yeah, I think like maybe you try to get creative here. You maybe put a ticking time bomb on this to see if you can be the company that applies pressure and you say, hey, we already have about a million systems in the country. We will sell those at the original price, but we're gonna have to raise the price on everything following.
Speaker 3: Just to make it very clear that this is about the tariffs.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna we have we we were predicting this, We're ready for these systems. These are still four fifty and five hundred and then everything after that. As soon as we have a ship in new stuff, well, we're gonna have to raise the price on this because it's just the math that's I don't don't I don't think they will do that.
Speaker 3: But it's like they are probably gonna have to try to.
Speaker 1: Get a little creative because I think people are only gonna have so much sympathy with a corporation.
Speaker 2: That's true, grub. I just knowing and seeing the existing landscape and how people behave for something like Pokemon cards and how riots break out in front.
Speaker 3: Of you, they probably want to avoid riots. That's a good point.
Speaker 2: And think about the riots, Yeah, how riots have started outside of Pokemon vending machines. The likelihood that if this initial first batch of switches are going to be still originally priced at four fifty five hundred, it is going to be bedlom outside of these big box retailers, outside of game stops, outside of your local mom and pop brick and mortars that are going to be selling these. It is like Amazon factories, Amazon shipping warehouses may get pillaged.
Speaker 1: Grub Yep, Yeah, I just I'm like trying to like struggle think of what it's just gonna have to be a massive price increase across the board. And then you know, because of arbitrage, selling, because of bootlegging, does the price have to go up even more in other countries so that we don't try to bring in stuff from Canada and you know, in Mexico and all these other places where it's now going to be actually much more affordable, even though it was looking like Okay, yeah, it's more sots in the United States than some of these countries.
Speaker 3: It's even more expensive. Well maybe not for long. I don't know. It's an impossible situation.
Speaker 2: I hope it stays cheaper in other countries. I hope it does because I don't want the rest of the world to suffer for the fucking mess we have.
Speaker 1: They should, and I honestly, I don't know, Like Nintendo can't get away with that, right, Like that's like making it clear it's about US tariffs.
Speaker 3: They just wouldn't be able to get away with that. They have to just sort of ride with it.
Speaker 1: And I know they were worried about arbitrage, but they can only use that like that's their problem, right, that's not anyone else's. So trying to be like, oh, we're going to treat the world differently because of the United States. That's a way to be like, we don't It's a way to get associated with the United States instead of being opposed to it. And you kind of you just can't run that risk. I don't think so, yeah, I think, and we deserve it. Yes, people and chatter are saying like, of course, like this is what we get. We this is our dishwashing liquid. We got to soak in it.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, at least maybe things will get better in his third term.
Speaker 2: Jean, Uh, I need all the people in the Nintendo Treehouse YouTube chat to stop yelling at Nintendo for this, because the problem is not at Nintendo. The problem is at the core of the United States. And it turns out this apple has been rotten for fucking decades. And hey, I know on this website, on game break News, on the Bomb Cast, we lightly will touch on politics and everything, and because people will come to these shows come to this website as a distraction in getting politics out of games, I'm sorry, folks, we can't take politics out of video games because politics is actively fucking up video games now. Uh so yo, if you were in the States, fucking go register to vote, do your fucking research. Actually, go call your representatives and use that outrage, use your frustrations, and maybe together the gamers can rise up in a positive way for once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta get and we gotta do what we gotta get on the streets. You gotta get in, and you gotta get in your representatives' offices and yell at them.
Speaker 2: Don't only be a freaking the sheets, be a freak in the streets.
Speaker 3: That's right, Just go right to their faces. They should be scared. I don't know what I mean, I don't know what else to say it.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, this is a distraction, really, because the real threat to all this is fascism. Like that's what we're dealing with, right, And fascism is a cancer and and there's only one thing you do to cancer.
Speaker 2: Cut it out.
Speaker 1: I mean cut it out with a knife, burn it, yes, so you know, get out there, do something about it. That's that's where we're at.
Speaker 3: And uh whatever, I'll play whatever for a fucking switch to who cares. Uh, this is just a small little symptom of so many worse things. Well, maybe figure it out or we won't or yeah, it's really what it is, right, either we figure.
Speaker 1: This out or we're done. But we're done. It's either we're done or they're done, and so do something.
Speaker 2: The reality is, grub we may be in a fortunate and comfortable, comfortable enough position to be able to swing it and pay for the switch to a see.
Speaker 1: About four hundred fifty dollars retro tank four k CE to make my GameCube look like an old TV on a new TV.
Speaker 3: H And you know, I get it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna need to because for the nature of our jobs, we need to cover the switch to we're going to need to play these games. But there are people out there that are like living, not barely living from check to check, that are looking for some type of escapism to escape this hell whole world that we're living in, like you mentioned, Greb. And now that solace, that little light at the end of the tunnel has been snuffed out for them because they can't financially afford food on their plate. That the one thing they were looking forward to this year is now ripped away from them.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And it's the yeah, And that's a good point. It's like, it's not this is not just the terri fun video games. A lot of other stuff comes from these countries, including the food that we eat, a lot of fruit, vegetables. Yeah, so all that stuff you need to live is going to get more expensive too. So switch To is going to be way, way way away down the list. All right, Jane, let's take a break, Let's come back and what we do. One more story about the switch to and it's pricing in the backlash from the perspective for people who actually worked in attend. We'll get into that, and then we'll talk about Dusk Blood's.
Speaker 3: That new game from from Software after this one more thing, Grub, Yeah, please, I'm already you know, hey, I'm wearing a specific hat for a reason today on the show for people watching the video.
Speaker 2: I realize it's going to be backwards because of discord, but he's an excuse my language here. These fuckers are going to increase the price of coffee on me. I'm already radicalized, Grub. If these fuckers are going to take my caffeine away from me, it's over.
Speaker 1: No, I'm already there, like this is hitting. This is my retrotinks and my Chinese handhelds. We're already getting more expensive so yeah, coffee and Chinese handhelds. They really picked the wrong fight here.
Speaker 2: Grub the United force of you and I. They take away your Chinese handhelds, they take away my coffee. Anyway, go to hell.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to I want to bray cool. Be right back, everybody, all right, let's get back into it. As mentioned former Nintendo, this is says pr manager. But they were like product managers. They did a lot of stuff. Comment on Switch to pricing backlash, former Nintendo product managers Kit Ellis and Christy Yangs have said in a new video that Nintendo is facing a true crisis moment over the pricing of the Nintendo Switch To games and the console in certain countries. They said it was a deliberate omission from Nintendo not to reveal the console price in the presentation, leading fans to scramble online to find out how much the games and the consoles cost. Yesterday, the Nintendo treoustream chat was spanned by fans urging Nintendo to drop the price. Ellis said, I don't want to blow things out of proportion, but this does feel like a true crisis moment for Nintendo. I think I think it's obviously still a crisis, but I do think that the the the tariffs just being explicitly said out loud, do shift things a little bit in their favor, where it's like they can point to an obvious reason why this is happening, and they can even say it's worse than what we are expecting, which is what they're saying by delaying the pre order thing. But most people, you know, we have this show, everyone here understands what's going on. Everyone here is does a good job and just kind of thinking about these things in a common sense sort of way and understanding how these things work. The vast majority of people don't care. They see the price for something, they see a company charging that price. It is a straight line from that company wants my money and they want this amount of money for this thing that when I compare it to other things like this is no PS five.
Speaker 3: It's that simple. And so Nintendo does have to sort of deal with that still, and I don't know how they get through that specific crisis other than to make games that are so good that people can't ignore your thing. That's really all they can do.
Speaker 2: Right on grub like it is, it's just a wild world. For anyone to try and makes sense or try and see a positive in this because it feels like gloom and doom. Because it is gloom and doom. Let's call a spade a spade. And honestly, I do hope that that folks open their eyes and take a look around, because the reality is we're all running out of money, and money is going to our pockets are going to become or our purse strings are going to become tighter because we will have to be choosier with how we're spending money. And that's not just in regard to entertainment. I mean, we've seen across the board with the movie going audience has dwindled significantly over the years. And that's not just because of the pandemic grub and people being scared to go to the movie theater. That's because watching movies as a family has become an expensive experience. So if that is something that people are choosing to be more selective with their money, that is going to continue across the board. And hey, maybe I would prefer my family to eat and be comfortable on a day to day, week to week basis versus having an hour two hours of distraction time with like a new fancy device.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's exactly.
Speaker 1: It jen like we are all having a personal crisis of the cost of living and Nintendo having to navigate this crisis, you know, again their problem. To a certain extent, I think it is easy to have like to or it helps to have them sort of become this iconographic representation of this fight and make it very easy to understand. The tariffs are going up in a product they're shipping from very specific countries.
Speaker 3: It's going to cost more because of that, and it doesn't make any sense. So it's just like, why is any of this happening.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit easier to understand than like the complexities of going grocery shopping, something people just do out of habit and don't think about too much. And then they just see the price go up and that just hurts. It just hurts, and that's all they can really process. It's all I can process usually, and everything's going up in price. God my, it's so frustrating jam because it's like I have less money, even though I'm making more money in some ways, but so it's like what does that matter if I have less? And then like, oh cool, like I bought a house during the pandemic. That was pretty cool, and it's gone up in value. Jan that's pretty exciting. You know what that means more property taxes. My property taxes now are significantly more. So it's like, oh, can I even afford this house that up?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's getting like out of hamps, Like I should be feeling good because this thing I bought it's worth more and it's only hurting. So it's like, how does all everything, no matter what angle it comes from, just causes more pain? And so that everyone's dealing with this, and so to sympathize with Nintendo to an extent, but not all that much. Deal with your crisis on your own. We can only we can't really help you.
Speaker 2: And you know, the other aspect of this scrub is you could tell people to go outside, go for a hike, go visit park, go visit a national park, perhaps, but hey, even those are being hit.
Speaker 3: Yep, Yeah, everything's being taken away.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's uh, and and yeah, I don't know what we do other than sort of continue to try to bring this whole thing down.
Speaker 2: So maybe let's just uh let's just keep the kids in school. Maybe, uh, they'll be fine over there. They can get their time occupied there at public schools.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah shit, uh huh, Well, at least in Ohio here they're gonna subsidize that with Bible study.
Speaker 3: So that's fun. Oh yep, cool country.
Speaker 1: I am, yeah, I'm I'm pissed off at all of this. And I so when I see people in chat yelling at Nintendo and the you know you're right, the tree Offs people having to deal with that, I empathize with everybody ize. I empathize with the people at Treehouse having to deal with that, And I empathize with the people who are who just are like, like, how dare you charge me more? Everything else is charging me more? Are going to do this as well? Like, look at this year as much as a PS five or an Xbox Series X and the power doesn't justify that. It's a very easy thing to understand for a lot of people. But yeah, this is a crisis that doesn't feel like it has an easy solve. So I think we're gonna have to kind of stand back and see what Nintendo does next. And I don't think it's going to be anything other than more pain.
Speaker 2: And the real unfortunate part, Grub is, like, you know, Dan and I did get to go to that event, and you got to see the hard work that had been like going on for years right at this point to gear up for the switch to launch, and video games, as we all know at this point, hopefully we know at this point, are not an instantaneous turnaround process. They take years and years of development to do, and especially when you were trying to tackle something like new hardware, to see all of that work kind of just get thrown away and just now the common consensus or the general consensus being like, oh.
Speaker 3: This is too expensive, drop the prices.
Speaker 2: Instead of like you know, being able to celebrate your years of hard work finally getting to be out there for people is so deflating. Has got to be so deflating for like the Nintendo Treehouse team, the Nintendo teams out there, and like, now what should have been a celebratory moment for the switch to finally being announced and coming out so so soon, is now being dominated by this idea that like it is incredibly expensive and or maybe incredibly expensive because of real life things.
Speaker 1: Yep, and all those people that like work there, They like sit down, isolated, siloed off from reactions, and they just try to like look at the numbers and figure out like what is fair for both them selling a product and people buying a product. They want to be in that sweet spot that is, you know, just when you look at basic economics, that's where you sell the most or that's where you make the most money is charging the highest price that the market can bear while also being able to get the most customers interest in actually converting to pay that price. And so they do things like and I know no one wants to hear it, but they're like, Okay, sixty dollars in twenty seventeen does come out to about eighty dollars. Now, that is inflation. That's just the raw inflation that we've already had. And I like, my response to that is the same as everyone else, is like I don't give a shit, I don't want to hear it. I don't care everything else is more expensive. I'm not making more money. What does that have to do with me? So I get that, But these people sitting here trying to be like, Okay, we're spend.
Speaker 3: A lot of money on this stuff. We want to have a new launch.
Speaker 1: We've got to set ourselves up for success for five to ten years for this next generation at this price is probably fair, right, everything else has gone up, We're paying people more. Let's actually you know, set this through. It's like, okay, it's eighty dollars per game and it's all and we see it's like, this is a cash grap and again it is.
Speaker 3: This is these company just like again, think of it as if it was your money. If you could get more money, you would take more money.
Speaker 1: They can get more money, They're going to take more money, and so it is a cash grab, but it is a cash grab informed by the environment in which we exist. So yeah, I think that the backlash is probably actually going to subside here a little bit over the next couple of days as the attention does turn specifically onto these tariffs. But it's really gonna be it's going to determine on how Nintendo navigates the next few days and comes back and back.
Speaker 3: And tells us how is this going to work with pre orders? All right?
Speaker 1: Other stories, other headlines Why from Soft is all in on multiplayer was switched to game The Dusk Bloods.
Speaker 3: This is from Michael mcwherder at Polygon.
Speaker 1: Dark Souls developer From Software surprised fans and perplex some with this week's reveal of a new competitive multiplayer game for Switch to the Dusk Bloods, alongside elden Ring Night Rain. It's the second multiplayer forward game coming from the studio, which is best known for its immersive role playing games. But there's a reason why The Dust Blood's director Hitataka Miyazaki is focusing heavily on competitive multiplayer. In a new interview with Nintendo, the game director and From Software president says, I've always found the PVPVE structure very interesting. It allows for a broad range of game design ideas while also letting us leverage our experience of designing challenging enemy encounters. Miyazaki impacts those game design ideas in the interviews, saying that the playable characters in The Dust Bloods, which are known as blood Sworn, have abilities that lend themselves to multiplayer action, including dashes, double jumps, and long range attacks. The dust Bloods setting, he says, allows for the depiction of firearms, such as every character is equipped with some means of attacking from a distance. I feel this is one of the game's unique aspects when compared with our previous titles. I hope these new action elements are one area that the players will enjoy. The eight player PVPVE structure of The Dust Bloods will follow a last player standing rule set for the most part, but the win conditions in the game's multiplayer matches vary. Players may need to eliminate a specific player or team up with another to take down a boss, or they may receive new orders from that creepy moon with wings seen in the game's revealed trailer. Miyazaki says that like past from software titles, we've therefore designed the PvE boss encounters to present a tough challenge and a sense of accomplishment upon defeating them. He also confesses to be not much of a PvP person himself, explaining that the Dust Bloods boss battles should satisfy the from software fans who come to their games for PvE, regardless of.
Speaker 3: Whether it's PvP or PvE.
Speaker 1: The idea to provide players with an experience that allows them to learn and hone their skills as they play is the goal.
Speaker 3: Here, according to Miyazaki.
Speaker 1: Jee where are you at with the dust bloods. I haven't had a chance to talk about this with you too much. I get is still a difficult one to pen down about exactly what it's going to be like. To me, I'm very interested still, although admittedly less interested than if this were to be say, a bloodborn successor, you know, in everything but name right.
Speaker 2: I think the the common consensus initially when the trailer was dropping was that, oh, is this going to be just straight a blood borne a blood born to a spiritual successor. And now that we're learning more about it, I think I'm still pretty excited because you know, Miyazaki has been hard, hard at work. They haven't let him out of the Soul's minds for years now, and I am interested to see what his take on this genre could and would be. And also like, I feel like they wouldn't make this a switch to exclusive if they didn't believe that folks would get really interested in entangled into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know that they're maybe thinking about going after and I know Monster Hunter doesn't have real PvP, but I think they're trying to maybe position it that way, and that's why the Nintendo switch maybe makes sense to them. They're like that audience is on here, so we'll have a quest that you can go on, and sometimes it is about you teaming up with another person and taking down a monster.
Speaker 3: That's what he's saying. That is that could be very Monster Hunter.
Speaker 1: And then in some situations it'll be one player has something you need and you have to take them down and the whole crew has to go after them.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a VIP situation. I think that they are like.
Speaker 1: We want this to kind of be the kind of game where people are just carrying their switch tos with them everywhere and they're playing the game in short bursts constantly as a hobby for a very long time, the way that Monster Hunter has been in Japan for decades now and has become elsewhere at this point.
Speaker 3: You know, I want to see that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm interested in that to a point, but I do want the ability to be like, hey, most of the time, I'm gonna I want to be playing on my own, and then if that means sometimes I walk into an area and and something multiplayers begins, I'm gonna be okay with that.
Speaker 3: But I just I want to play.
Speaker 1: These games sort of on my own, trying to figure out these scary, creepy places trying to get my bearings. And then if there's multiplayer intersections with that gameplay, that sounds okay to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost anticipate this kind of being almost emulating like a Destiny two or maybe like even a Final Fantasy fourteen experience, where like, you can get through a good chunk of this game on your own, but there will be opportunities and moments where ah, snap, I gotta interact with people, or you can kind of just skirt by and doing your solo stuff. Because I'm with you, Grub, I kind of prefer that. But also I do see this and hearing that Monster Hunter is a point of comparison, I do kind of maybe see them going for the og Monster Hunter freak audience that existed on the Nintendo DS or three DS, and the we where they want this very niche experience and we're going to put this on the niche console and appear to those freaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I trust from software to make something that is worth our time at the very least, So I'm still very curious about this. It's not we're not going to get until twenty twenty six. Probably a lot of time for us to learn a lot more in various other presentations. But yeah, switch to exclusive from Software game TVP is a focus. You can just you can see all the reasons why people are like I'm interested, I'm not interested, Like what is this thing? I can't believe it's switch exclusive, but it is, so it's going.
Speaker 3: To be a curious one when it does finally come out.
Speaker 1: Miyazaki did go on to say that he promises switch to exclusive dust blood won't distract from Software from their single player games. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. Eldering Director hit Ataka me as Zaki has said that the recently announced Nintendo switch to Exclusive The dust Bloods won't mean that From Software is moving away from a traditional single player game development focus. The dust Bloods, a brand new multiplayer focus game from From Software, was announced during Wednesday's Nintendo Switch to Direct Now. Speaking as part of the Nintendo Creators Voice series, hit a talking Miyazaki explains how The Dusk Bloods became to be and his interest in the PVPVE genre, But really he just kind of gets to a point where he's like, we are going to we still intend to actively develop single player focus games such as Elean Ring that embrace our more traditional style. I'm getting the sense jan that Eleandering taking as long as it did. I think it was their longest development time ever for.
Speaker 3: A game like.
Speaker 1: As they were wrapping that up and looking at like other projects to take on, they did want to try some other stuff. So we did get Armored Core six, and we are getting elean Ring Night Rain, where it's like, Okay, we do have a lot of the assets and let's find creative ways to reuse that while trying something new. And we have this PV stuff in our games already, let's expand on that. Or I guess night Ran.
Speaker 3: Is PvE, but then let's take the PvP stuff and apply that to this Nintendo game. Nintendo wants to work with us, and Miyazaki wants to work with them, apparently and make a game specifically for them. He wants to explore his game design ideas in this format. It seems like they are.
Speaker 1: They're doing these dalliances in the meantime to help them refresh for what is almost certainly going to be an eventual Elder Ring follow up of whatever that looks like.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, They're they're following what RGG has been doing for quite a while now, where yeah, could be good example, they have this existing tool set, these assets, and instead of kind of trying to do like an asset flip flip game that is maybe considered as mediocre, they're trying to do a spin on it with their existing tool set. And hey, you know, like, for as much as the prospect of what Dusk Bloods is pushing forward may not necessarily be for me, there is a gigantic PvP audience in Elden Ring in the Souls games that love messing with each other or invading someone's world. So I don't see this as like detracting from whatever Frumsoft is hard at work doing. I feel like this is the type of project that you can kind of maybe have fun with, maybe be a little bit lighter with those existing assets, and be like, hey, let's try and do this. Like I remember from a couple of months ago, sometime last year, Miyazaki was interviewed and he was interested about the prospects of like, oh, what if I did a turn based game, And you know, I didn't think you would be building something from the ground up. I would have assumed he'd be using some existing assets from an Old Soul's game or elden Ring or oh a turn based armored corps.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, would I would love that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I exactly, I like, I do want them still making their RPGs, and personally I want elder Ring two. That's what I want, and I'm by my expectation is that's going to take a very very very very long time. So if they can spend some time like while, like I imagine, while he's making Dusk Bloods, there is another larger team getting a bunch of new art assets ready, new lore ready, maybe letting George r. R cook just for another half an hour worth of notes or whatever, and like getting like the land fertilized for that team to come back and focus on the next RPG in full.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It could be a Dark Souls, could be a Sacro follow up or whatever. There's a bunch of stuff they could do. But you know, the one I want is more elden Ring. That's I'll be honest, that's the one I want. And all that is is likely what he's going.
Speaker 3: To return to here very quickly.
Speaker 1: And I think that they are almost certainly have a lot of people already working on that in this moment, even though dust Bloods isn't coming out till twenty twenty six. So yeah, I'm I'm just not that concerned here, and I think most fans, like when they think about it, probably won't be as well. Although for people who don't want this, I don't blame them for being like, ah, this does feel like a distraction from me personally, because this is not something I'm going to play, So.
Speaker 3: I get it all right.
Speaker 1: Last couple of stories here Nintendo explains why Switch two doesn't run every original Switch game flawlessly. From Darren Bonteuse at game Spot, we mentioned that they were talking about having a hybrid of a solution for emulation, where it's both hardware and software.
Speaker 3: This is where it comes from.
Speaker 1: But they have they've put out a list that's a pretty lengthy list of games that will have some sort of issue, and they're saying that they're investigating everything and investigating all these problems, and it's mostly going to be like the kinds of lists that you see on wikis for emulators like the Dolphin emulator, where it's like, hey, this game has a certain graphical glitch in one area, where the colors don't show up right, or an alpha layer doesn't display properly, that sort of thing, and they're just being completely transparent. So there's you know, it's a long list of games, but they're they're said, the reason this has happened is because it is mostly a software emulation solution. There isn't a switch one in the switch to so what hardware is in there. When they're saying theyre doing a kind of a combination, My guess what they mean by that is Nvidia built them something specific to put on the system on a chip to make the software run better for emulation, and that's what they're getting at. Or I don't know, maybe there's no way there's an FPGA chip on there. That's not what's happening because that would be way too expensive. So some other creative solution. But this is mostly just as software emulator running these games. And so yeah, they're going to run into graphical issues, which is something that happens when the PlayStation and the Xbox emulates these old games as well. Mostly, I'm just happy that that backward capatibility is there, and if it's a little bit like tricky, I'll be okay. There's a certain level where it's like, if the games really have a lot of problems, I'm gonna be really annoyed because it's like, you guys should have figured this out. But I don't think that that doesn't sound like what this is. Jan so Us playing old switch games on switch to sounds like it's mostly not going to be a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they come after me in Pokemon Grub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, oh yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Marcus and Chad just said the ANALYT sixty four is now going to be six hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they keep delaying that thing too. They almost got that thing.
Speaker 1: Out before the the tariffs, but nope, now they've delayed it so down they are going to be right in the heart of them, right in the meat gang by three fifty.
Speaker 2: I hope you all enjoy the phone that you have right now, and I hope that the phone you have right now is operating in confunction at at and the batteries aren't quickly dying or whatever, because we all read a strap in for this one, folks.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people might remember, like, hey, we me and you Jay were talking about how manufacturing isn't happening here like, well, what about like the fifty billion dollars that Joe Biden signed to get the chips produced here in America. That stuff is still in place. The plan was like that was going to take literal decades, and even when they did get that done, the chips they were producing are not going to be the super processors that are being produced in Taiwan. So yeah, if you want a phone that has a decent ship and you want it in the next five years, you're still going to have to pay all these tariffs.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, grub all right, you know what, this metaphor is going to take way too long. Basically to say the TLDR, I'd rather buy a croissant from an old woman in France versus someone straight out a culinary program that they kind of skated and skirted by here in the States.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, you're not like, that's literally what we're talking about too. Like in the processors that they make at the TSMC, the Taiwan Semi Conductor Manufacturer, they have the most talented people in the world working there ready and they all go there to work on this stuff.
Speaker 3: They aren't here. They literally are not here.
Speaker 1: The people that can do this work, So you would have to train them up, and even if you do train them up, the expectation that they would be as good as the people have been doing this and learned the hard way how to do lithography at three nanimeters, something that is basically basically impossible.
Speaker 3: It's a joke. It's a joke that we're going to get there. And listen.
Speaker 1: I do think that the fifty billion dollars on the CHIPEK was a good idea. I love investment in the United States manufacturing. Critically, we do need these these chips for weapons, Like, if we're going to have a military or whatever, you've got to have missiles, and the missiles need these. That's what you sunk the USSR was not being able to keep up with with semiconductors that were going into missiles and so yeah, I get it, but that's not going to save us money on our phones, and they're kind we're not going to start making Nintendo switch twos here. That's not happening, all right, and then Nintendo could firm switch to GameCube. Games are going to come at launch, and that's going to include the handful of launch games which were a win Waker, Soul Caliber two, and F zero g X. I think Pokemon's probably coming pretty soon after that. That was Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. They were showing off GameCube games on the tree out stream yesterday, and I think they had Super Mario Strikers as one of us, the fourth game in there. So that also seems like maybe that's coming, because later they came back and that wasn't there anymore. So they had a different version of GameCube ready to go. But other games that will come later, Super Mario Sunshine Fire and Limp Path of Radiance, Super Mario Strikers, Pokemon NEXTD Gale Darkness, Chibi Robo, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon Coliseum.
Speaker 3: Those all don't have a date, but the GameCube itself will be there at launch. Uh And I think Jen, that's gonna do it. That's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: For the show today, for the headlines, let's get to the poll questions from yesterday. Did we actually get that posted? I can't remember or if we did or not. Yes, I don't think we actually got that posted.
Speaker 3: So let's we'll catch up everybody, buddy.
Speaker 1: Let's I'll do one more check in because we got more votes on the grade that the switch to direct. Forty five percent gave it a B, thirty percent gave it an A, seventeen percent C eight percent gave it a D or lower.
Speaker 3: We only had like one hour of results yesterday, so there you go. I think we asked, are you going to get a switch to maybe a good thing? We do save that question.
Speaker 1: Let's we'll put that in there and we'll ask that now, because who the hell knows side on well? Am I going to be able to find one? And will I be able to afford it? I have no idea, So we'll see from there. Jan what do we have going on on the website?
Speaker 2: Later today or right after this, we're going to roll into BCR. We're gonna we may just do a fun trip report from New York with Dan and I telling you and whoever is available to join about the fun times we had. We did have good pizza at least that's good. That's fun, that's nice. I saw a building that said Minati on the side of it, and I got scared, rightfully. So but after that, we're going to have unprofessional fridays. I believe we're going to be doing some hardcore park Core. I forget the specific name of the game, but we're going to jump in together and jump around, and then we're going to have the Game Spot homies finishing off the day with Game Spot after Dark. And yeah, if folks, if you missed it yesterday on the game Spot YouTube channel, we put out a quick hands on impressions video that Dan and I chatted together about. We're going to have a try to have a little bit of a longer one because Dan and I filmed a longer discussion that we had and put that out on the GB YouTube sometime if not today, over the weekend. Promise. I just want to get that out of there, folks.
Speaker 3: Yep, it was a good work so far. Looking forward to talking to y'all on BCR here in a minute. All right, let's.
Speaker 1: See here we do have a new poll question as well, so maybe we'll run both of these.
Speaker 3: Are you going to get a switch to yes or no? And what are we even doing here? Gang? Is the new pole question.
Speaker 1: Your options are woolf, a pain, sigh or yeah man and then stares you just kind of stare those a your options. Vote on that and we'll get the result to talk about it on Game breaking news here on Giant Bomb on the Power Block on Monday. Speaking of the Power Block, look forward to seeing here on the BCR here in the next couple of minutes. With all that out of the way, Janet Chowa, thank you so much for getting me through this today, man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Somehow we have to start the day.
Speaker 1: Yes, somehow we have to. And in the meantime, again the get those un yeahs in chat. All right, yeah, maybe we can add un yeah to the there.
Speaker 3: We go, un yeah. I added it to one of the options there on the poll. All right, thank you all for watching.
Speaker 1: You're the best audience of gaming and that's forever reason you come in here. You guys are ready to talk about this stuff, ready to listen. You have a lot of common sense. It's easy to have this conversation when I know you all are the ones here on the other side, because you already are thinking about the selves. You're thinking about these things yourselves. Let's get out of here until next time. Have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.
Speaker 2: Tell a friend about the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah,