Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast Cohole Breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 1: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 2: And Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky.
Speaker 3: I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those cherries years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock at Downtown Deck Quiver, one of the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor with Rick Dollywall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls, our director. The voice of God is Derek Wan. How are you, big boy? Oh? A Draft Day? Love Draft Day? So much going on the twenty twenty six NHL Entry Draft in Buffalo. It starts at four o'clock Pacific. It's a decentralized draft again, which means teams will work remotely from their home cities, which means those awkward zoom interviews. I hope they do something to more improve that. They were very stiff last years. First time they did the decentralized draft last year, as opposed to the teams being in Buffalo, in the host city, working around a table, and that's I always find that much more hunt. It's just much more interesting. It was better. Well, the shots of the GMS or scouts talking to each other, is there a trade? Is there not going to be a trade? Just way more interesting. But it is decentralized again today, So hopefully they've made improvements over last year, which I thought was awkward at times. The Leafs have first pick, in case you haven't heard, likely to go with Gavin McKenna. Leafs have picked first overall twice, Austin Matthews back in twenty fifteen and Wendell Clark in nineteen eighty five, and if I'm not mistaken that Austin Matthews pick in twenty fifteen, also in Buffalo. The first time Buffalo hosted the draft, famous draft, infamous draft, depending on how you look at it. That was nineteen ninety one, the Eric Lindros Draft when he got taken by Quebec first overall, didn't put on the jersey, and the rest is history. Ended up in Philly. Cannucks took Alex stillinoff that year, remember that seventh, seventh overall. This time around, Cannucks picking third and twenty fourth in the first round. Ten picks overall, but in the first round, which we'll see today, third and twenty fourth. So what can they get at third overall? We'll focus on the players they could get in a moment. But through history. I'm an old guy. I like going through history to Eric if you don't mind our notable third round draft picks, third overall draft picks through history and recently Beckett Seneca, Anton Frondell, going back a bit, Jonathan Taves remember just hung him up a few days ago, Hendrik Sedeen third overall nineteen ninety nine, Brian Brooke working his draft magic to get the Sadeine Twins. Pat laugh on team one of I think one of the real underrated players in National Hockey League history. His career was cut short by injury concussion issues. You remember this.
Speaker 3: Guy, Philadelphia, back to backs down the cups seventies.
Speaker 1: The Riverton Rifle, Tim Stutzel, Leon Dreysele at number three, Marion Gabrick, Scott Niedemyer, and Danny Savard. When you think of like who would be on top of this list? For me? I just love Scott Needemyer's a player obviously, what he did as a player, what he did with the Devil's, what he did with the Ducks, you know, just everything, World Championships, Olympic gold medalist. But let's focus on that. What he did for Team Canada and him not being there in twenty was it twenty fourteen? He he just made such a different not par me not being there in six right, and that made such a difference in a bad way for Team Canada. What a great, great player. And Danny Sivardi I always have a soft spot for because well, first of all, what a fabulous player. Stadium first interview I ever did when I when I started working at Sports Page was Danny Sivardi. Wow. He couldn't have been He couldn't have been nicer. Okay, we mentioned Hendrik Sedeen being drafted third overall by the Cannucks. Other third overall picks in Canucks history, Derek, have you got that board? You came up with which is just absolutely beautiful the old hockey cards. Check it out, Rick so Hendrick Sadeen back in ninety nine. Do you remember Jocelyn gave him Mitt? Of course I do.
Speaker 3: Joscelyn Givermont came from Quebec. And then the other one is Dennis Verbergart remember him fondly.
Speaker 1: Great seventies mustache.
Speaker 3: The fact that you and I remember the seventy one and seventy three dropt picks is concerning.
Speaker 1: Jocelyn Gavemont big, big shot all the point, and then eventually he got traded for Mike Robati, Yes Mike, not Luke Rowti got traded to Buffalo for Mike Roboti and Jerry Mean, and those two players helped the Canucks in nineteen seventy five get to their first ever playoff series against against Montreal, which they lost absolutely late seventies. I remember both guys and Dennis Ververgart was early seventies middle but they stayed and played. But I remember Dennis Ververgart fondly, yep. And I said, gave Rimont the big, big shot from the point. So everybody was really surprised when they when they traded him back in the day. So third overall for the Canucks twenty fourth overall, so let's focus on that. Yesterday, Ryan Johnson of the Kttacks made himself available to the media and we talked a lot about that yesterday. But here is Ryan Johnson. You know, there's all sorts of speculation, Okay, what are they going to do with that third overall pick? Is there a possibility of them And it's just we talked about this yesterday too, you know, trading the third overall pick and trading down maybe to grab a current player, prospect and more picks. But here's Ryan Johnson yesterday on the possibility of dealing that third overall pick or maybe the twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: Obviously, there's been a lot of movement in a lot of teams looking to move up or some teams that maybe don't have second and third round picks that are looking to move back. So it's conversations that I've had. I think it would take a lot from me to move out of three. We love being there, we love the player that we're going to get there. As far as some of the later opportunities, I think through the group, if there's an opportunity to move back that benefits us or to move the other way that we think will benefit us. It's always something that we're going to consider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about this yesterday as well. A trade like that, a team moving out from a top moving away from a top ten a pick hasn't happened since way back in two thousand and eight, but people who talk about it, the speculation is out direct.
Speaker 3: There's always talking. Look, they're gonna get a really good player Don at three, and we got to wait to see what the Sharks and the Leafs do. It's gonna come down if McKenna and Stamberg go one to Don, it's gonna come down to Caleb Maholter and Chase Reed. And then which one do you want out of those two for the Canucks. And I don't believe these reports of the Canucks are not thinking of taking Maholtra this week, he said, Ryan said yesterday, definitely we're thinking of taking Caleb. But if at the end of the day, if they decide the son father son thing is too much, then they'll back off.
Speaker 1: They if they want to see them. They love the kid. They love the kid.
Speaker 3: I cannot tell you enough how much they love Caleb Mahultra. They've been watching them a lot. They got him high on their draft board. But I'll also tell you this, they love Chase Read a lot. Two sixty three rightshot d Skates brings offense. He's an American, but they like they like him a lot too, done a lot, Okay, speaking.
Speaker 1: Of that at number three, and look, I looked at several mock drafts because a lot of the people who come up with these mock drafts have reworked their mock drafts given all the trades with draft picks that have taken place. For instance, Buffalo now holds the fourth pick after the deal with with with Chicago, that that sort of things. A lot of people have reworked their their mock drafts. So, but everybody has the Canucks. Everybody that I saw yesterday has the Canucks taking Caleb Caleb. Yes. So here's Ryan Johnson again on how and of course many Maholtre Caleb's dad now head coach at the Vancouver Canucks. This is Ryan Johnson on how Other than before he was promoted, other than before he was made head coach of the Banker connection, Ryan hasn't talked with Manny about the possibility of drafting his son Caleb.
Speaker 4: Not at all. It's not something Manny. Manny and I've been open with you guys and saying that I discussed it with Manny when I hired him, that if that was going to be an issue, then it wasn't something that he and I should move forward with. After that that was put to bed. We don't discuss it. We never have. He will be a dad supporting his son this weekend, and I'll be trying to manage a hockey team to make the best pick at three that we feel it will be a big part of our future, and that's all we'll approach it.
Speaker 5: What the list is or what the plan is for your pick.
Speaker 4: There's not a whole lot of variables because you're picking so high.
Speaker 1: Does Manny know what your preferences are?
Speaker 4: I can say this with complete honesty, Ian, He and I have never discussed it.
Speaker 1: Man He's going to be a dad today. According Ryan Johnson, Yeah, and the proud father, Donny.
Speaker 3: His kids are really good hockey player. He's going to go high in the draft. Proud proud dad.
Speaker 1: Let's hit the wadling dog poll question very quickly. Here. Zach Benson of the Buffalo Sabers to sign Rae deal. He's going to join us. In the next segment, Waterling Dog Pole Question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound.
Speaker 3: Come sit and stay at the Wadling Dog today, Eric Ryan, get her up the Waterling Dog pop pop question. Assuming McKenna and Stenberg are those first two picks in the draft tonight, who should the Canucks then take? Maholter reed, Carson Correll's out of Prince George. Really really, we interviewed, actually we've interviewed all these guys except Vigio b York. But anyways, the people of Vancouver think it's going to be Chase Reid at forty three percent, followed by Maholter at twenty seven, followed by.
Speaker 1: Vigio b Jork. That's a high number for.
Speaker 3: Me, that Vigio b Jork and then comes Carrel's at the end. But boy, Vigeo Bjork, who's also a center a little bit on the small side out of Sweden, super super competitive hockey player. But there you go. But people think it's going to be Chase Reed.
Speaker 1: Well, not necessarily. The wording isn't who will they take, it's who should they take? Should they take? I'm surprised at this, not the majority, but Chase Reid is number one on this list at forty three percent. I would have guessed it would if it would have been Caleb Maholtra. But a large portion of our audience saying, well, no, it's let's let's go with the right. Shote American defenseman Chase Reid and Ryan Johnson yesterday and that press conference talked about how look that that's not going to come into play somebody's nationality, despite what the news that has broken over the past, you know, a couple couple of weeks with Brady Kuchuk going to Florida, you know, and then of course go back a few months back to December and Quinn he was for the US going from Vancouver to Minnesota. That at first, you know, when a player is young and you're drafting him, he's not going to take that at consideration. But it might. It might rear its ugly ahead somewhere down somewhere down.
Speaker 3: The road, six seven, eight years down the road. But that's six seven, eight years down the road, not today. Okay, here's what's.
Speaker 1: Coming up on the show, Ryan waving his arms frantically for us to go to break TTMC. Is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, Farhand Lolgy is going to join us TSN World Cup correspondent. And keep in mind that Farhand has a lot of work with the CFL BC lines. They're in Kelowna at the Apple Bowl Saturday. They take on Calgary and they'll do the same thing the following Saturday against the Ebonton Elks up in Kelowna, BC place occupied by the World Cup these days. There's a game tonight as a matter of fact, all right, big Rye the Twitter guy coming up later this hour. Thomas Drants will weigh in from the Athletic on the Canucks and Draft Day at the bottom of the hour. And as mentioned up next, the Pride of CHILIWAC just signed a big lucrative deal with the Buffalo Sabers. Zach Benson he's next. We'll talk to him about his Draft day experience. Zach Benson next, Thanks so much for tuning in on his Friday folks. Donnian Dolly, the team I Check, Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 3: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions can help. For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at ableauctions dot CA. That's sales at ablations dot CA.
Speaker 3: A new era is underway and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks says we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients they will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game perks and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Experiences you love the most.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more details out of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC. Your ideas happened here at RBCT.
Speaker 1: We'll talk some World Cup as the morning goes by. It all over guests today Donnie and Dolly, including Zach Benson standing by brought you Buyer Title Sponsor, sponsor, Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot CAA. Zach Benson from Chilliwack, Buffalo Sabers left wing. What a season for him? Forty three points and sixty five five games in the playoffs, nine points in thirteen games as the Savers make the playoffs for the first time in fourteen years, they win a series. He has signed a seven year extension with Buffalo seven years, seven and a half AAV. Zach joins us. Now, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm doing good, guys.
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 1: Guys? Very good? Safe to say you're gonna be watching the draft today?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, absolutely.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about your draft? I think it was in Nashville, if I'm not mistaken, twenty twenty three, thirteenth overall. Did you have a good idea that you were going to be taken by the Sabers.
Speaker 6: No, actually I had no idea. I probably talked to them maybe twice. And you know, there's a few teams ahead of them that I thought, you know, we're gonna maybe select me in Yeah, so I didn't expect it at all, and it's a fun day and I'm excited to see the reactions tonight when the guys get selected.
Speaker 1: What's your reaction to signing the new seven year deal, Zach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's just excitement. I mean, you saw what we did this year and how good our team can be in the future we have, so you know, for me, it was a no brainer to be in Buffalo a long time.
Speaker 5: I love it there.
Speaker 1: Can you describe what that was like? I mean, Buffalo and Rick and I know this because we've been around for a long long time, but there was a drought there. What was it like being part of a playoff run for a Buffalo team, a Savers team that hadn't been on the postseason for fourteen years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's so funny im skating with guys now and they're like, oh, it looks so fun and it was exactly that. I mean, the fans were crazy and there's so much excitement. You'd go to a grocery store or restaurant and you know, people are always you know, go Savers and wrapping the Sabers swag.
Speaker 5: So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: That way is Zach, You're you're twenty one years old. You just got fifty million dollars.
Speaker 1: How nervous was that process?
Speaker 3: You're a young guy, but you're going back and forth with your agent, who's Ross Gurney out of Vancouver.
Speaker 1: But talk about that.
Speaker 3: Process, just going through this contract negotiation at an early age.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think, you know, Ross did an excellent job of, you know, obviously filling me in, but at the same time, you know, kind of just making it easy on me. And you know, I kind of made it clear that I wanted to be there a long time, and you know, I'm excited for the future of the group. So you know, Ross did a good job and him and Yarmo came to a deal that worked for both sides.
Speaker 3: Jack, what's going on here? Boem Barrum gone, Alex Tuck gone. You know, the two significant guys at a Buffalo gone this week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's tough for sure.
Speaker 6: You know, I love both those guys. I mean, we had such a tight group and but obviously Yarmo has been doing this a long time, and you know, he's trying to put pieces together to make us a stronger group. But at the same time, It's sad to see those guys go, but it's also cool and you know, you're happy for them to to sign those big tickets.
Speaker 3: Zach, your playoff was tremendous nine points thirteen games. You were a past your driving teams nuts players nuts talk about your.
Speaker 1: Coming out party in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you really were one of the better performers of Buffalo in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, we had an excellent line for most of the playoffs. It was me and Norris and Don't and you know, we just we hunted pocks and played hard, and you know, I felt there's a lot of guys in our team that kind of elevated during that time. And you know, obviously you have to do that come come that time of the year, and you know, we had a lot of guys show that they're they're big time players.
Speaker 1: You know what, Zack.
Speaker 3: A lot of kids get drafted, they go to the miners, they go to they go to June, back to junior before they you don't really make it in the NHL. Do you have to pinch yourself sometimes you get drafted. You been in Buffalo since that draft?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, uh, you know, you kind of you go to camp always expecting to make the team, but you know, being an eighteen year old in a in a man's league, it can be tough. And you know, there was some tough days. Uh you know, I'm not gonna lie, but you know, we had such a good supporting cast and leadership group and uh they kind of make it a lot easier and obviously it uh, it grows you into the person you are pretty quick.
Speaker 1: What's it like playing for Lindy Ruff, who was in Adams Award candidate finalist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, for sure. You know it's it's hard not to argue that he should have won that, but uh, obviously, you know he's an excellent coach. He's been around a long time and you know he uh he has this playing a really good system. But at the same time he lets us play free too. So he's super super good coach and a big reason of to why we we made it to where we did.
Speaker 1: What was your like playing in those two I know it didn't end up the way you wanted it to, but what was it like playing in those two buildings in that second round in Montreal and in Buffalo? It looked spectacular?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get goosebumps just thinking about it. It was it was so much fun. It was definitely the most fun I've ever had playing hockey. And I can probably speak for my teammates and saying that too. So both arenas were rocking and it was just a cool atmosphere at home and on the road.
Speaker 1: Other than watching the draft today, what's on chap for the off season?
Speaker 6: Zach just back in Vancouver skating and training out and downtown Van and Burnaby. So nothing too exciting, but just kind of back to work.
Speaker 1: Well, you become a semi regular on our show. We can't thank you enough. Congratulations on an outstanding season and the new deal. Zach, have a great summer. Thank you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: You've been Zach manson number six and your lucky number program for the flow Sabers again a seven year extension, seven years, seven point five AAV drafted thirteenth overall in twenty twenty three, two spots after the Canucks took Tom Vilander.
Speaker 3: Well, you asked the question, were you you know the Buffalo take and he said, right there, there were teams ahead of me I thought would take me, and I do believe he was thinking about Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the story. Look, look, Zach Benson had a postseason run, and if you want to call two rounds a run, certainly people in Vancouver would call two rounds a run. With the Buffalo Sabers, he was front and center. And you mentioned it to Rick, you know, getting under the scan of opponents, the Bruins and the Habs. I think there's still a lot to be written when it comes to Tom Vilander. Defensemen usually take longer to mature on the ice in the National Hockey League, but he shows a lot there. It'll be interesting to see the comparisons between those two. Like, I don't think the Canucks blew it. It's tough because it's you know, we're talking about a low kid there in Zach Benson. But I think the story is still to be written. A lot of the story is still to be written when it comes to Velanders.
Speaker 3: Okay, so go to his draft, positional pick or best player. The Canucks took the positional pick, will Lander Wright shot they had nothing in the system. They passed on Benson. There is your example of taking the positional guy over the best player. You're saying the I'm not saying they made a mistake. I'm saying, there's your example when you take a positional pick high the guy behind you Boom just signed for fifty million.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the thing is, and I go on a lot about this, and we talked about a young another thing we talked about yesterday, players that can bring a building. In this case, Rogers arena alive and Zach Benson's like that. Again, nothing against Tom Vlander. There's a long way to go for him, and I think he has the makings the way he carries himself on and off the ice, the makings of a future captain or it's an assistant captain. But Benson at that size, what he does in front of the net, you know, he reminds us of is a somebody having shot? Well, okay, I was gonna say somebody we had on the show earlier this week, a young Brendan Gallagher. Yeah, Brendan Gallagher. Yeah, like Brendan Gallagher, a local kid. Okay, how are we doing? Ryan good? Okay, let's take a break up next again, NHL Draft Day. We'll talk World Cup as well. Thomas Grants from the Athletic is going to join us. Donnie telling the team.
Speaker 3: On check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes from the airport in the ferry.
Speaker 3: Their room, Glenn vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog.
Speaker 1: Pop twenty taps, Wald of Wall.
Speaker 3: TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and in imported options, class exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Dot Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come Sentence Day.
Speaker 1: Friday and all of our guests today, brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot C A base side inbox. Just before we get to Thomas Grants, FYI, if Zach was in our organization, there's a word before organization. I won't say it. These uh these people he didn't he or she didn't use the word people stretch with a J. These people the old regime would still have him in Abbotsford. So there's that too. Oh mfg, there you go. But Zach Benson is in Buffalo and he looks like it will be for a long time. Seven years seven point five aa V And again we thank him for joining us. In our previous segue, we thank Thomas Grant's very busy on this draft day from the athletics for joining us. Now, Thomas, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 5: How are you doing well following Zach Benson. I'm gonna have to mix it up, get under your skin, gentlemen. Great player. Congratulations to him. That's really cool. And yeah, interesting day for the Vancouver Canucks today, Draft Day two first round picks their highest pick since nineteen ninety nine. Betting lines swinging wildly toward the right handed defenseman Chase Reed. Paully Corey Yeah, Corey Prohnman mocking the Canucks to select Chase Reid. So should be an interesting night, obviously. I'm gonna be looking closely at whether the Canucks can get back into the first round for a third pick. Potentially, you know they have that thirty third pick. Ryan Johnson discussed being open to the idea of sort of moving up or down the board depending on what options present themselves.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm looking closely at that Autawa Senator's twenty fifth overall pick. Look, the Canucks have been quiet to this point, even as the NHL trademarket itself has wimd and word and sort of got going on in a major way this week. But I still believe that, you know, based on what I'm hearing about who's available around the league, the conversations the Canucks are having, Like, I still think that this team, given their druthers, like if they were able to execute their perfect plan, would move decisively to get younger and begin to tear this down more concretely, I think they know they need to. I think you're seeing that in them allowing the UFAs to walk. Now. Ryan Johnson did sort of give the shpiel yesterday about how you have to be gradual in it and you need good people, and you know, I think that applies to Philip Eronic maybe, but I don't know that that's a universal sentiment. Like I'm still hearing Jake Debrusk's name out there. I'm hearing that the club is motivated to explore their options on Elias Petterson. I don't think anything's imminent there, but I think they're motivated to try and find a solution there. So you know, it'll be fascinating to see what the Canucks can accomplish between now in July first, but especially tonight, like especially on draft night, given the importance of this event, the importance of young talent, to sort of what the future of this organization looks like. That's my long spill. How are you guys doing very well?
Speaker 1: We're out of time later by audio, No, seriously, though you touched on this earlier. Let's assume McKenna and Stenberg aren't there, Reid, Maholtra, maybe somebody else. Who should they pick at at number three?
Speaker 5: Oh, well, you're asking the wrong guy. I mean, I love Bigo, b York and Carson Carls like I'm I think there's this perception in the league. I like Behrhof too. I think there's this perception in the league that the two OHL guys Malhotra and Reed are sort of in this mini tier after Stenberg and McKenna, and I kind of just don't see it that way. The Ohl is really tough to analyze. For a variety of reasons. This year, you know, they had eighty eight grads move on to play NCAA hockey. Now, some of those guys were overragers that had aged out of CHL competition anyway, but there were some Porter Martinez in there, some Anthony Romani, a Canucks prospect, some some Henry Muse, some guys like that, who you know, would have been one hundred and twenty one hundred and thirty point guys in the OHL and so OHL, the OHL kind of lost this top end of older guys that probably would have dominated the league as a whole, scored less, Like, there was little less offense in the league as a whole. And for me, a guy who spends a lot of time breaking down, you know, counting stats and historical comps, that that alone poses some challenges analytically in terms of sort of what ways you apply. And then also there was this huge influx of guys from the NHL and the BCHL and the USHL who came in and sort of deepened these lineups. And so you know, in Chase Reed, a guy who got cut from his USHL team at the age of sixteen, went into the OHL midway through his age seventeen season and then has been dynamic dominant for the Sue Greyhounds. Or guy like Kayla Malhotra who's never really been a top point producer for his teams on the way up, but then he gets to Branford this season and especially in the second half of the year, end of the playoffs, just absolutely cooks everybody who he goes on the ice against and sort of rises. Both of these guys are out of nowhere, risers up draft boards sort of across the course of their draft season. But they've done so in a league that you know, I don't really understand how to evaluate in terms of how strong it is relative to where it's been historically, and that makes me nervous. I think that introduces some risk into this tier of players, especially because you know how good a job is the league itself doing adjusting for how much more difficult the NC double A is. I mean, remember the conversation about McKenna in the first part of his year, the Beharhoff conversation and the idea that he's falling the time, and in Lawrence conversation after he went to the NC DOUBLEA. Like the NC DOUBLEA is tougher than it's ever been that much we know for sure. Are we waiting that appropriately when we're sort of discussing what these guys accomplished at the top of the class. I'm not sure, but it makes me a little bit. It makes me a little bit hesitant. I suppose to sort of look at Reed and Malhotra as being like the clear cut third and fourth prospects in this class. I just don't see it that way. I can't really get there. What I will say is Malhotra is an exceptional player, an exceptional prospect, really good playmaker. And as a general rule, when NHL teams have picked Ohl Centerman high in the draft across the last fifteen years, they've known what they're talking about. These guys generally are very good, at least top six fixtures. And in Chase Reed, you're talking about a guy who, whatever the production says, is the best skater in the class. He's six foot three, he's right handed, he's got a wicked shot. He might just be two toolsy to fail regardless of what the production says. So, no matter what, the Canucks are going to get a very very good prospect a third overall, even though They're unlikely. It seems, at least based on how the betting markets have it at the moment, to take one of the guys that I'd be like, Yeah, that's the third best prospect in the class.
Speaker 3: What do you lean out of Ryan Johnson yesterday? Here's what I got. He's gonna be patient. No knee jerk reactions just because four teams made a trade on Wednesday and a bunch of yeah who's on Twitter are saying you got to make a trade.
Speaker 1: He's not gonna do that.
Speaker 3: He's not going to make a trade just because other teams made a trade or people want him to make a trade. I think this guy's gonna be patient. I don't think he has a lot of money to play with. I don't think Thomas july First is going to bring any big buck deals here. But I certainly got the feel from him yesterday. They got a plan. They're gonna take their time. They're not gonna rush into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you're denigrating the yeah who's on Twitter, Rick, I mean the yeah who's on twins or have generally had better takes than the Canucks organization across the last decade. WHOA, let's be ru but the yeah, in terms of in terms of the Canucks in activity, you know, I think there's a difference between patients and passivity, right, I think there's a difference between patients and paralysis. I think Brian Johnson would and the Citine Twins would, all things being equal, prefer to be moving and shaking and making deals and getting younger and subtracting from this roster. In my mind like that, that to me is what they would like to do. The question is whether or not they can accomplish it. You know, I think it makes sense for fans to be looking at, you know, three top ten picks moving in trades and a top five pick which we never see, and wondering if there's opportunity cost involved in the Canucks sort of not being more actively involved in that sort of premium trade chips market. The problem is, of course, is that the only chip they had to play in that marketplace was Philipparona. Can you know, I think they really value his leadership. He bought into the rebuild, especially down the stretch last season. You know, I know he wasn't eager to discuss his candidacy for captain at locker room clean out day, But don't ignore how much effort he did put into being more available right over the course of the season, Like he was a more prominent spokesperson for this team day to day in the room after losses, after practices than he had been previously, especially after the Quinn Hughes trade. Like that shows a guy who's trying to buy in. So you can understand why they'd value that significantly and maybe a little bit differently than they would with some of the other veterans who didn't take those steps. Right, So, you know, I think it's all continuum, It's all a balance. You want to be patient, but you can't be too patient, right you want to make moves or you want to avoid making knee jerk moves, but you do need to transition this team, get younger, open up roster spots for younger players to compete for, right, Like, there's a balance here. Doing nothing I think would be unacceptable. You know that that's not to say that you have to absolutely rush through or make bad moves, Like, I think there's got to be a balance here that we can discuss where you know, the Canucks get to July one, and they haven't subtracted any of those seven contracts that they have on their books. I'm talking to two goalies, the two defenseman Marcus Petterson and Philip Peronik, and the three forwards Besser, Debrausk, Petterson. Right, those are all guys twenty seven or older, long term deals, some form of no mover or no trade protection. If you get to July one, July two, July three, July four, July five, and you've subtracted none of those guys from this roster at the start of a rebuild, I mean, I think it's going to be fair to look at that and say that's way too patient. That's paralysis. That's not patients, that's paralysis. Right, So there's a balance here that they're going to have to find and it'll be interesting to watch as they do it.
Speaker 3: And also he mentioned, we don't want to lose nine to one and you know, get our teeth kicked in every night, Thomas said, because when you lose nine to one in a reb your young kids, their development, their confidence goes south. And so I he does want to keep some of these veterans around for that reason.
Speaker 5: I don't worry about that though, I mean I remember that ten to one Canuck's victory over the Sharks, and then they got bludgeoned for seven and then eight. Remember Kyle Burrows was on that team, Rick and Thomas Hurdle, but also like a lot of their young guys who are promising now we're on that team, right, Like William Ecklind who they just traded for the ninth overall pick, had a pretty good season. Is he was on that team. Zeterlind who they were able to monetize like he was on that team. Like they had young pieces that are still developing very well who are part of you know, what I'd consider to be the most embarrassing rebuilding team in ten years. Like I think if you're worrying too much about the qualitative way you go about losing as opposed to the big picture strategy of what do we have to do to land our Macklin Celebrini, I think you're wasting energy. I think you're putting it in the wrong place. Manny Mahotro will help you play organized hockey, right. You're gonna have a floor here because you've got some competitive people. What you need to do is find the top end guys that can make a difference that can help this team claw from the seller over the course of the next five to ten years.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where your energy has to be directed to. And one of the ways you do it is maximizing the amount of kicks off the can, the amount of picks you have, the amount of good assets that you have to you know, go about finding identifying, bringing in those players. So you know, for me anyway, like I don't worry too much, like guess whether whether you keep Pronic or trade Heronic, whether you keep Pederson or trade Petterson, whether you keep de Breask or trade de Breask, whether you keep the goalies or trade the goalies. There's gonna be some tough knights in Vancouver over the next few years, gentlemen, Like I think we all know that. And at the end of the day, whether it's four to one or six to one, you know, to me, that's that's putting your focus in the wrong place.
Speaker 1: As long as there's a glimpse of hope there for the paying customer. Thomas, thanks for this Happy draft.
Speaker 5: Day to you guys as well.
Speaker 1: Have a good one, you bet talk to you next week. Thomas Grant's from the athletic Okay, some people are honest for not talking about the World Cup. It's the two days away Canada Big game. Well you've got something, so he's got something in Big Ryan. The next segment, I hope we're going to talk about has Okay, we'll let's talk about it. Then we had a little bit of time here. Yeah, Canada first of all, France and Norway today Harling versus Imbape outstanding at the top of Group I. But Canada versus South Africa Round of thirty two on Sunday. The big news is is this what you're going to talk about? Okay, what are you talking about? Team Canada will where it's black. Oh yeah, they're gonna wear black on Sunday. I just called them team Canada. That's a hockey thing. The Canadians will wear their black ice jerseys. And you don't like it, and I do. FIFA makes a choice, by the way, which can the teams are gonna wear, and they've decided on the black ice for Canada. They beat Guitar six nail with those on. The players are happy about that. I'm a karma guy, superstitious kind of guy. Canada should be in red. But I'll guarantee you the players are happy just because they won that game with the black jerseys on, and they've won another other games in the past with black jerseys on. Canada should be in red. I agree with you there, Yes, superstitious wise, karma wise, I don't have a problem with this this decision at all. And again they're not making the decision FIFA is okay. So that is on Sunday. By the way, one of the Sebastian Burholter yesterday, I know the Americans, what's wrong? Who is the actor? That's what I have in big rines. So well then I'll Ryan has more on White Caps stars abashed and Burrhalter and what he did for the Americans yesterday at the World Cup. Is that okay? Now? Big rise coming up next. But first auctions tomorrow Able Auctions will sell the tomorrow Is it today? Tomorrow? Yeah? You sure, yes, it is okay. But there's another auction going on today that we've been talking about. Yes, yes, so tomorrow Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed Victoria designer furniture store Rick Hop grain leather sofa sets. Imagine the fun you can have on those things. No, but the leather I just yea, yeah, you love the leather coaches. Just there by yourself on the couch. Lord knows what you could get up to.
Speaker 3: No, Donny, you get the blanket, your socks, you get the pillows.
Speaker 1: Nothing else. It's premium fabric sofas as well and loungers, elegant dining sets, modern and classic bedroom suites, luxury rugs, area r decor, and a whole lot more nice tables. There where's the rugs? I don't see the rugs. I think you'll live. For information on this downtown Victoria furniture store auction, go to able auctions dot ca to get your business assets sold at auction. Email sales at Ableauctions dot Ca, at sales at abt l E Auctions dot Ca. I thought you would have a story on the Messi statue down in Argentina. Have you seen this thing? We brought it up. We have to show it. We'll see what big Rye has in store for us. Other than Sebastian Purhalter, He's next Donnye Della the team want Jack looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to Beautiful Parks Bill and experience the Bayside ocean front resort where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a handcrafted cocktail at the ocher Front Restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five oh two, four eight eight, triple three. Your Island adventure starts here. Just I had a big ride the quitter guy. I meant to say this after the Thomas Drants interview, but he was talking about the Ontario Hockey League and Read and Malhultra being likely one at one of the two being a likely choice for the Canucks at number three. And he made the point about the Ontario Hockey League being thinned out because of the because of the new NCAA roles they've lost, maybe not Read, maybe not Malhultra. Because of that, you look at the junior leagues in Canada, a little bit differently now, yes than maybe you did even just a just a year ago, big ryot. Yes, you had a lozenge going no.
Speaker 8: Water and I had a piece of ice. Does that ice?
Speaker 1: I'm with it? Okay? Wait are you in your venue? Impersonation a little bit? Okay?
Speaker 8: You just teased this yesterday, the United States against Is it Turkey A?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Turkey A right?
Speaker 8: Not Turkey Turkey Turkey Turkey A.
Speaker 1: Undutly getting it wrong probably Yeah.
Speaker 8: But it was a hell of a game last night in Los Angeles atmosphere. Turkey A goes up to one. Vancouver White Cap Sebastian Burholter unfortunately can't show the goal again.
Speaker 1: Dude, why Cup rights worse than the Olympics? Burholt waday Olympics.
Speaker 8: Burholter ties the game and the MLS tweeting out this statistic, which is surprising.
Speaker 1: Derek was blown away by this, shocked by this.
Speaker 8: With his second half goal, Sebastian Burholter became the first active MLS player in league history to record at least one goal and at least one assist in the world in a World Cup match.
Speaker 1: So he made history.
Speaker 8: He's just on the first goal scores the second one, the big one, to tie it. Then they gave up the lost literally the death like seconds remaining, Turkeys scores again to win it three to two, which I just loved because if they had gone completely, if they had swept their group the.
Speaker 1: States, it was a mean nothing game for them.
Speaker 8: It was but the chest, the chest pounding. If they were three and oh would have just been. I couldn't take it. I couldn't take it. So I'm glad that they lost yesterday. But Sebastian Burhol, they're very impressive, very impressive stuff from him, and unfortunately, I hate to say this.
Speaker 1: Edgy, edgy game. He plays yeah, big time, like he was getting under their skin, as he does with with the white Caps. Good for the white Caps to have.
Speaker 8: That, absolutely, I just hate it because I don't know how much longer he's going to be here in Vancouver unfortunately, Like his stock is going through the whole team, but him in particular. First, his stock has been his stock has been rising at a rapid rapid pace. He was really prominent, big time, big time, big time, and Polistic came on late and he's been dealing with an injury and everything.
Speaker 1: But he was he was shining Yester. You had a problem with him showing the celebrities during the game. It was a bit much.
Speaker 8: Every start Los Angeles, it's all brad Well, Okay, here's Europeans don't know.
Speaker 1: European South Americans are probably loving that.
Speaker 8: The one thing to point out is it's a world feet meaning that those camera angles, everything you see goes out to all the countries. So you're maybe playing like because the North American artists, we see these people.
Speaker 1: It's for them, it's unusual for them to see that.
Speaker 8: The best is when they showed um show. And this has been happening with a variety of mattress and it's no disrespect because again for a lot of these people, they don't Some of them I don't even know who they are, but the commentators the flast of them, and the commentators have no clue who the person is. That's uh, somebody like they. He was alongside Edward Norton, I think is who was standing. Edward Norton was the guy beside him. And he's a great actor.
Speaker 1: I love his movie underrated movie The Score, Yeah, with de Niro and Marlon Brando Italian job. Edward Norton was bringing up movies with you. I don't know James Cameron, he was there. I'm trying to think of any of the others they showed that were there. Uh. In they just seemed to be going to them too much.
Speaker 8: It was like every stoppage like I'd rather see I'd rather see a fan on the edge of their seat than you know, a rich person that's been gifted.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's gonna sell the broadcast more? You got a problem the Lakers play Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 8: Well no, but that's also, to be fair, that's ingrained in like a Lakers broadcast there.
Speaker 1: Having famous people come to big sporting events is part of the culture down there. I didn't have a for a.
Speaker 8: Lot a second when the NFL broadcast showed Taylor Swift to be three seconds, you had a beef with that.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the difference?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't, Yes, you did, chance I bag remember this. No, I I totally understand what they're trying to do. They're trying to promote their product to a different audience too. Yeah, exactly, Okay, let's see you're not you're not remembering well, are you gonna show the messy statue or yes? So you've been calling for this. I don't know if that's real. Quinn showed me this yesterday.
Speaker 8: No, I really doubt it. Yeah, this is a new statue. You at the location it's It's been unveiled in Patagonia, which is kind of connected to Argentina.
Speaker 1: The southern tip of Argentina, but I don't believe look geography fans out there. I apologize that it's connected to the rest of Argentina, much like Alaska in the US, right and the mainline US.
Speaker 8: So the interesting thing a lot of people have here is he's got the World Cup. He's crouched down for the podcast letter as I apologize, he's crouched out, he's on his knees, and he's got the World Cup between.
Speaker 1: Rick on a Friday night.
Speaker 8: But then you can see here the reverse view not great, not great.
Speaker 1: That's not a good it's not a girl. The statue is bad enough, and then you throw the World Cup at his crutch. I mean, what do you think you said this for?
Speaker 8: Awkward? Let's stop the statues, stop it, stop it.
Speaker 1: Statues creep me out, that's whine.
Speaker 8: The only place that really gets them bang on is the Hall of Fame. No, the NFL Hall of Fame, like the bus at the Hall of Fame, cfl ones creeping like the bus usually of just the heads, they're actually quite good.
Speaker 1: Come on, they're creepy. Just ahead, they're creepy. You got locked in at night, somebody locked you in. All he sees a bunch of floating heads around you, like a toy story situation, but start yapping at each other. So are you still of the belief this might be ai?
Speaker 8: I just I don't know how could you design something like that?
Speaker 1: I don't know who gives who gives the okay for this? Like if it is real?
Speaker 3: The first picture is concerning. It's concerning, to say the least. But anyways, the other world cup in front of his crow. The other one is fine.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing though, here's the thing.
Speaker 8: If they didn't think this through and they you know, they set it up and everything, and then sody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: The architects there and he goes, oh damn, like from behind he's like, we didn't think about this because it's just it's under proportions.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. The second one is fine, but the first one is feared. It's the same picture it's the same set, don it's different views.
Speaker 3: This is from behind, well, either from front the front one's alright, I guess the back one is concerning to me.
Speaker 1: There you go. Okay, I'm glad we got that. I'm super glad again. Derek was making the pliny. He was surprised Messi has it come up with the goal and.
Speaker 8: To the first not this graphic, to the first graphic with Burhalter.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but during his time as an MLS.
Speaker 8: Player, he's scoring goals, but this you remember yet this is his first World Cup as an MLS player. You've got to be an active MLS player. And I'm trying to think like some of the other greats, and you bring it up, Darning, a lot of them were at the end of their career. I mean, look at there's a lot of people that don't think Ronaldo should be and he's not in the MLS.
Speaker 1: I know, but Ronaldo shouldn't even be on the.
Speaker 8: Portuguese team, even though he got the two goals the other day. But you know, these guys when they get to that age to kind of get phased out.
Speaker 1: But you hit a certainly you were ripping into Messi for doing some Ovechkin like walking.
Speaker 8: Come on, man, watch the games by the way noon today and Boppe against Holland. Do you think unbelievable coming up today Norway and France.
Speaker 1: I could watch and just how those three players have come through and they've been playing so far. I don't know what is wat but all three of them been playing the same the same day and all they've combined for thirteen goals. Yea Messi, Holland and Boppe and it's just been spec spectacular. Despite your criticism these and this, despite that statue.
Speaker 8: The Norwegian fans, by the way, the rowing, that's cool. The Conducks have probably ripped that off in Rogers Arena.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the Vikings, but their excuse was the Sedines and the history of Swedish players in Vancouver come up with something. Yeah, you know, hey, having said that, every team in the NHL and around sports is ripped off the white towels, so that's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 8: Okay, more about the World Cup, because we got a World Cup reporter right far, and he's next he's got the World Cup talking about the lines as well.
Speaker 1: To say one other thing here, Yeah, Don Lever is a third overall pick by the Cannucks. Great. Great, I'm gonna throw Derek under the bus. He Derek was too busy getting that messy statue. Proto he missed the Lever not Don Lever was a was also a third overall.
Speaker 3: Captain for the Knucks, Captain John Lever, one of one of my favorite players growing up.
Speaker 1: Don Lever, he was great.
Speaker 8: All right, Fire and logy from TSN.
Speaker 1: Next is Donny. Hey everyone, it's Donnie Doney and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 3: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oho eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca. Rick's still focusing on the messy statue. No. Thanks all of our guests today, including Farhand Standing by brought to you by Able Auctions, our title sponsor, Ableauctions dot CAA World Cup reporter for TSN. He covers the Lions, he covers the Canucks, he covers everything. Farhand Lology joins us. Now, thanks for doing this, sir, How are you.
Speaker 5: I am good.
Speaker 9: You know, I heard the weather's not going to be great in Kolowna and I'm going to be going up there. Oh, I'm so down on that after the last couple of weeks this city, this province has had and just how well we've shown to the world during the World Cup. Like, I want to get up there and and have some good weather up in Colowna on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we talked about it Luri in the show. But Lions in Calgary Saturday, Apple Bowl in Kelowna own two to start the Lions, what are the main issues for ahead?
Speaker 9: Well, receiving injuries, right, Like I you know, I think for me, I had huge concerns or questions about the Lions defensive secondary coming into the year, but I kind of knew what I was expecting.
Speaker 7: I thought the pass rush would be better.
Speaker 9: But I really felt that they were gonna have to win some high scoring games, right that this was not going to be a situation where you know, they could come in in weeks one and two and expect to win you know, twenty four to twenty, Like they were gonna have to win thirty five thirty two on the regular And so the offense hasn't been able to deliver on that end of it, and primarily because of the injuries. And you know, you even look at the games they play. They've been able to move the ball, they just haven't been able to finish, and they need to finish.
Speaker 7: Drives.
Speaker 9: Threes aren't going to cut it for this team given how bad the secondary is right now, and the defensive line also isn't kind of propping up the secondary and making them have to cover for less.
Speaker 7: So I think if they can get the offense going a bit this.
Speaker 9: Week, and it looks like Hatcher and mckinnis are both going to play, you know, if that happens, then then maybe they've got a chance to out score Calgary.
Speaker 1: What are the solutions on defense front?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, you know, I don't know what he can do right Like, look, their defensive line should be better, So they need to find a way to get pressure without having a blitz a bunch of people, because if they do that, they're going to really expose the guys in the back end.
Speaker 7: And in fairness, they've also played arguably the two most cerebral quarterbacks in the league right now, like not named Nathan Urke.
Speaker 9: Tremor Harris in week one, like he's got the answers to the test, right, Like it's playing better than he ever has. Believe I Mitchell is playing better than he ever has. Two guys that are in their late thirties, they've seen every picture that you can throw at them, so that becomes difficult, right, And so you know, we'll see how different it is with Vernon Adams, who certainly you know his processing abilities at a very high level as well. But so I don't know that there are easy answers defensively, because I think they've tried a lot of things that first week, even in the first.
Speaker 7: Half, they played a bunch of off coverage.
Speaker 9: They tried to protect their guys well, Trevor Harrischet the ball out real quick, so it.
Speaker 7: Became death by a thousand cuts.
Speaker 9: Then in the second half they blitz blitz blitzed, and then they got burned there. And then you go to Hamilton the following week and they got beat over the top. So you know, teams have found a way to beat them every way, every which way.
Speaker 7: They need to get more production out of the D line.
Speaker 9: They should expect that, or you should kind of expect the secondary to take some time. And then again, if you can match offensively, you can force teams to maybe do some different things, maybe run the ball, maybe try to find different ways to control the game. But the offense isn't matching. And honestly, part of that's coaching, because there were moments in that last game against Hamilton where Buck Pierce needed to be aggressive, but he settled for three.
Speaker 7: He needs to take some chances as well.
Speaker 3: All Right, speaking of chances, every team's gonna have a chance to select a future superstar at the NHL Draft in the first round.
Speaker 1: Anyways.
Speaker 3: Listen, that's the NHL Draft tonight. Connects the pix so proud right now, it's a call the segue. It's called a segue. That's what thirty seven years in the biz does.
Speaker 1: Segue?
Speaker 3: Uh farhand? Third overall, who are the Canucks taking?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 7: Well, you know what, I think it's gonna be key.
Speaker 9: I think it's gonna be probably Chase Reid, right, which which I'm not a fan of, just because I don't want him to take an American right. I just don't, Right, I don't want to. I don't want to have to live that thing again. And I do think that that's a factor. I believe that the moves that San Jose made this week, I think there was a real chance.
Speaker 7: They weren't going to take Stenburg.
Speaker 9: But now because of the moves they've made in the way they've been able to address their back end, they are going to take Stenberg. And if they do, then it becomes Caleb Malhocher or one of the defensemen, and most people have read regarded a little higher. And you know, I think there's less momentum around the Canucks taking Melhocher. You probably know that is better than anybody, right, I mean, a couple of weeks ago, we thought this was going to be the pick. I think that's less likely now. But you know, although it certainly is more of a positional need, and you know, it does make some sense to do that, but I think they've got re rated ahead of Verhoff, even though Verhoff's a little bit bigger. I would take Verhoff. And it was interesting though, listening to Ryan Johnson. He did talk about the fact that they are having discussions internally about the American factor, right, and whether or not, like, I don't think they're necessarily going to make that the deciding factory yet, but I think it's on the table, and for me, it would absolutely be on the table in my mind, unless you have a generational talent like a Connor McDavid Celebrini type guy that's so far ahead of the number two pick. I just wouldn't take an American in the first round, or at least in the top ten where you're risking a high like a player like that. That's not going to be part of the rebuild when it gets to the end.
Speaker 3: All right, soccer, You've been covering all the great soccer games in Vancouver. The big one now is in La for Canada on Sunday. Just a great feel an atmosphere around Vancouver the last week and a half.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it really has been.
Speaker 9: And I know it kind of came to a bit of a thud when they lost that game to Switzerland, but look, there's still three more games.
Speaker 7: You're sorry, there's four more games here.
Speaker 9: They've got a game tonight which I'm going to be at Belgium and New Zealand, and then they've got to the round of thirty two and the round.
Speaker 7: Of sixteen games. Right. So one of the things that has shown really well is in the two.
Speaker 9: Non Canadian games that we've seen already. The scenes in Vancouver, the marches to the match from Granville Street and things like that have been magnificent.
Speaker 7: Those countries have showed up.
Speaker 9: And shown out, and I hope that happens again tonight, despite you know, it not being necessarily as good a weather day as what we've had in the early stages of the tournament. So I still want to see that celebration because the city's done so well. Even though you know, you go to the Olympics and there was a build up to the final game when it was Canada right in twenty ten playing in that golden medal hockey game. We're not going to get that now, and Canada's still playing four now elsewhere, so our attension is going to be diverted a little bit. But I think if you're a Belgium fan, a New Zealand fan, a fan of the World Cup that's here, I hope they show up, and I hope the atmosphere is still going to be as good as what we've seen throughout the tournament. And then I'm curious to see what it's going to look like in La on Sunday, because you know, if you look at Team Canada, they should be favored against South Africa. You know, I don't know that South Africa is necessarily going to travel well is let's say, if they had to play South Korea, so well, you know, how many Canadians are going to make the trip down, how many Canadian expats are they're living in southern California, they'll just make the trip over. But hopefully, you know, hopefully we see moist Bombido and Alfonso Davies get into the lineup because Canada needs that shot in the arm in the round of thirty two.
Speaker 1: Are you joining us next week? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I am Yeah, Why wouldn't I?
Speaker 1: Well, I just we were thinking about using you as a decoy. Yeah, good call.
Speaker 9: But you know, like Bayern Munich is not in the background saying that kid's not gonna play.
Speaker 1: You think that's me? Do you think that's what's happening with Jesse Maris Alfonso Davies.
Speaker 7: I think that's part of it.
Speaker 9: I don't think they're ever going to admit to it, but I do think that that is part of the consideration for why they've been incredibly cautious and conservative with Alfonso.
Speaker 1: Davis's not a good look for Byron Munich if.
Speaker 9: You know, look, you think Barron Munich gives a damn about the Canadian national team, right Like if this is Germany, if this is the German national team or or one of those powers, you probably take it a little more seriously.
Speaker 7: But it's Canada.
Speaker 9: Like, if you're Barron Munich, you don't think Canada's coming close to the final eight of the World Cup. Let you know, so you probably think, yeah, Ponzi, sorry you didn't get to play in your own country, but this.
Speaker 7: Isn't important because you're not.
Speaker 1: But that's a big deal.
Speaker 7: I would think so. And to be truth, well, I think it would have been a big deal for him.
Speaker 9: To play in Vancouver, specifically right where he's played previously with the white Caps, but ultimately that's not going to happen. And I think I think just playing tomorrow or playing on Sunday would be a big deal for him and it would certainly be a big deal for Canada.
Speaker 7: So hopefully it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Baron. Thanks for doing this and we will talk to you next week, our final week before me.
Speaker 9: Before you guys take your extended vacation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well enough, did you're on four day work weeks.
Speaker 1: Donnie. Yes, yeah, you'll be there soon, buddy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've seen your first She doesn't wait. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it for an lolgy T s N worked cup CFL. He's on his way. Look at he actually parked his car and just from the side of the highway there. I guess she's on his Was he on his way up to Klona? No, just just doing errands around the home he's in.
Speaker 8: He told me he's in alder Grove had a stable at the moment.
Speaker 1: Stable.
Speaker 8: I believe his daughter's got a horse riding.
Speaker 1: She does, she's got horse riding, or she has a horse.
Speaker 8: I think it's just this guy making horse riding, that's all.
Speaker 1: That's where he's used to own a horse. To stop. I have never dealt with horses. I would pay a lot of money to see you on a horse.
Speaker 3: It happened once, I do think, once, many many moons ago.
Speaker 1: Have you never been on a horse? I have. When you go in there, you know, you know you rent a horse for a few hours and with a guide.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, I've never even been on one of the It's scary.
Speaker 1: It's scary in a bar one of the mechanical horses avolan bars. That would be something. It's a bull in the bars, not a horse. Have you been on a one of those?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: God, no, why Actually they used to have like mechanical horses or ponies like in the supermarket. Yeah, I'm sure as a young child, I was not.
Speaker 3: You know Rick Road with last week listen when we were at the Great Cup in ninety nine we at that cowboy bar we were in there was one in there, Yeah, and we didn't do it, remember much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was Majonovitch there? No, because that roosters used to.
Speaker 8: Have topless bull what they used to have topless bull riding roosters.
Speaker 1: How do you know the country bar roster that was my era. Yeah, it's closed. That's a supermarket for guys.
Speaker 8: Anybody that would like to part partict And I look at the guys obviously stupid.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 8: I can say this even about myself. The people that do.
Speaker 1: That shouldn't be doing it. Yeah. It's like like wreck Beach. Yeah, yes, yes, yeah, I'm in an aging hour. I'd be in that category. Yeah. Actually it was a long time. That's Taylor doing Yeah, okay, it's the guy from Donnie Duney, Yeah, break and we'll we'll upep. The Waterley dog pull question has to do with today's National Hockey League Craft and the Cuttucks. Donny Dolly the team one check Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by Able Auctions dot ca A. Closing your business We can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to.
Speaker 3: Industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions can help. For a free confidential ansultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email Sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca Wilding dog pole question experience one of Victroy's iconic destinations. I had trouble focusing. I'm excited about this. Yeah, catch the World Cup at the dog. Also excited about that. With Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound, come sit and stay at the Wadling Dog today, Lions in Colonna. There's a lot going on. Oh, but let's focus on the banker of a connection. What's going to happen at the draft and the wadling dog pole question? Wreck right, get her up? The waterling dog pop pole question.
Speaker 3: Assuming McKenna and Stenberg gone at one two, who should the Cannucks take third? And leading the way is Chase Read the big defenseman out of the Sioux Fort, followed by Kayla Mahultra, who third is video Bureau not far behind Kyla Mahulter both their centers, and then Carson Carrel's at the Prince George defenseman at the end.
Speaker 1: Thomas drants on our show in our first hour, big fan of Vigo York, he'd be okay with that third overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and he's good. No, Donny, Donny, Donny, this guy's not very big, big vigeo b York. He's good. Zach Benson. No, he had on the show exactly exactly. And and the Canucks are passed up on too much size or small guys. Stan Covin, they took you know who, Cold Cofield, the cold Colfield, No Coffield. They picked put the polls instead of exactly, and they took them over you And.
Speaker 1: I pointed that out and you guys made fun of me.
Speaker 3: Now you were right in hindsight, you were right. Quit passing up on small guys in round one.
Speaker 1: What it was it, Brendan Gallagher said to us earlier in the week, The league has changed, right early twenty tens, he enters, the league was much more physical. That was much more physical way before that, obviously in the eighties and nineties. And he's says it's changed where somebody of his size, of Zach Manson's size can excel. Clearly the Buffalo Sabers think so when it comes to comes to Zach Benson. Okay, So getting ready for the draft. The Canucks picking third overall, will see what happens with the Leafs and the Sharks. And I think before this past week and all that trade activity, you felt fairly confident, or at least it was a pretty good possibility the Sharks were going to take a defense but probably Chase Red. But now they've got that ninth overall pick, and the word is they're going to go for Stanberg at number two after Mechanical's number one to the Leafs and they'll pick a defenseman, maybe Daxon Rudolph of the Prince Albert Raiders at number nine, so that you would think would leave Caleb mahultra for the Canucks or maybe another defenseman like Carson Carls. Meanwhile, other news surrounding the Canucks they have a new or it's rumored that they're being reported that they have an ass to coach for many Will Holter at least one at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the American Hockey League coach Ryan Muganel he's going to join this guy right here, musing L mousing Ow. So, Ryan Mousin, I'll tell you this guy right sure, okay, but he was just named the American Hockey League Coach of the Year in Providence, the Boston Bruins farm team. So he's going to come and join Manny. Uh So, we're looking for Manny. So that's Manny's first hire. But he's going to get an experienced guy. We got rookie presidents, we got rookie GMS, we got rookie assistant gms, we got rookie assistant coaches, and a rookie coach.
Speaker 1: How to go with the Jim Rutherford's experience.
Speaker 3: Well, don are you kidding me? This is all over again. Benning Lyndon and Willie d remember all rookies.
Speaker 1: Patrick Elvian was a rookie. Yeah, Patrick Elvian was a rookie.
Speaker 3: So if he was, indeed, let's see, let's let's give Manny some time. Let's see if he adds a veteran.
Speaker 1: This is a Canadian kid from Scarborough career minor leaguer as a player and a coach. And I don't mind this because every everything that they're going heavy on people from the American Hockey League and what is American Hockey League? Focus on development. That's where the Canucks are at. I'm rafting to develop, draft and develop, and time will tell, you know. We gotta wait.
Speaker 3: But it looks like a good hire for many and then let's see if he adds any veteran NHL coaches.
Speaker 1: Coaching experience, goaltending coach.
Speaker 3: Look looks like the Canucks have extended Marco Tronius Donnie. That's a new deal. I think maybe one one year, but I think he's going to be back. I think they did that in June. So there you go. The goalie coach Marco.
Speaker 1: And Thatcher Damco earlier this week hitting the ice for the first time in a long time, and he's one of the few Vancouver players hanging around in Vancouver. Curtis Douglas. Yesterday, Ryan Johnson said that he's not keeping any of his UFAs. Okay, So Teddy blueger A gone. Helped me out there, Garrick FORBN Jane Douglas. So what about another tough guy that might take the place of Curtis Douglas even though Curtis Douglas was here for a couple of tea, quick cup of tea.
Speaker 3: Let me say this on Douglas. Good Canadian kid, by the way, and there we go again.
Speaker 1: Canucks.
Speaker 3: Let another Canadian tough guy go. Now they're down to one. Ryan, don't shake your head those in l's Canadian Eh. Then he coach just Stoppedne Douglas love Vancouver wanted to come back. The Canucks made no formal offer to Douglas to come back. This tells me the Canucks have their eyes on either a UFA tough guy or a guy in the trade. Don't expect the Canucks to spend big bucks on that role. Most likely under a million dollars. Canucks will have interesting players like docs forward Jeffrey Vielle. If he becomes a UFA on July first. This is a player that Ryan Johnson has seen a lot in the miners in the American League. Six fourteen pounds, seventeen goals in Manitoba a couple.
Speaker 1: Of years ago.
Speaker 3: These are the type of guys that Canucks will go after to replace Douglas. Remember what we talked about. If you're gonna be a tough guy in the NHL today, you got to play every day. You got to give ten to fourteen minutes. You got to play in the third period, you gotta play in close games. I don't think the Canucks stock Curtis could do that because obviously there was games where skating was an issue. Skating was an issue. There were games where Adam Foot played Curtis Douglas six minutes, six minutes on the thirty second place team in the NHL. That's not good. So anyways, good guy Curtis Douglas, he's gonna find something on July first, I'll tell you that much right now. But another good Canadian kid leaving the Canucks.
Speaker 1: You got some business, some new business of ours from a new client. Absolutely, look at this, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: A new era is underway and OURBC is proud to be the newest partner at your Vancouver Canucks e as we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game perks, and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experien he says you love the most. Stay tuned for more details of that ahead of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, probably presented by RBC. Your ideas happened here at r b C.
Speaker 1: The blue and gold RBC patch on the Canucks uniforms Now, before we get to some more business, what about the situation? And I almost feel bad for them because I want this to be a heated rivalry. I'm talking about the Seattle Cracketts. They offer Jason Robinson Robertson fifteen fifteen million dollars a year over eight years, you know, working out of trade. He's going to be an RFA working out of trade with the Dallas Stars. And Jason Robinson says no. And he's the same thing with Saint Louis, by the way, but he said no to the Seattle Kraken who went hot and heavy after a Tammy pineraen same thing he told them. He told them no. And look, Seattle is one of these no low tax states. So it's not all about taxes like people's aclate. It's about it's about the chance to win. I would have to win.
Speaker 3: Players right now want to play in Los Angeles, Florida, Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles is.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's where Paneren went. He forced to trade La. They love the beaches. Are you kidding me? Don you go to La? You walk walk around the beaches. What's that Newport Beach? Are you kidding me? Anyways, the really really good players Venice Beach, Yeah, Venice, Muscle Beach. Oh, beautiful Millington hangs out there where pipes. Anyways, that's where the good players want to go, where they have a chance to win. They don't want to go to Seattle. I feel for Seattle right now.
Speaker 1: Saddle's a beautiful city.
Speaker 3: That they're not winning. It's a bland organization right now. The top players are saying no to Seattle.
Speaker 1: Fifteen million a year.
Speaker 3: And he said no, one hundred and twenty million.
Speaker 1: Don Jason Robertson is would he be a franchise changer for the.
Speaker 3: I think, I think so. I mean, he's a good player, but he's also a winger. You want to invest one hundred and twenty into one hundred twenty million in a winger, I'd rather invested in the center.
Speaker 1: Whereas the big deals made when he wasn't named to the American Olympic teams, everything worked out. More business and then we'll throw to break. So you want you're busy, you want more business. That's what the that's what they're rundown say, Okay, here we go. Look at this.
Speaker 3: The world has arrived in Vancouver in pastime sports and games, as you cover when it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectives celebrating the beautiful game. Never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as a host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more information at story locations, visit Pastime Sports dots.
Speaker 1: Is before we throw to the laptop orion. A lot of activity in the bayside inbox and people are pointing this out and my knowledge of Washington State politics sorry not that great, but it is getting reportedly a millionaire tax nine point nine few years, he thinks this person he or she thinks is going to be around nine. So put that into your pipe and smoke it. What's in front of the laptop. It's not done yet though.
Speaker 8: I think there's still a vote that has to take place on that tax, so it's not a foregone conclusion.
Speaker 1: But like a lot of people were pointing.
Speaker 8: Up yesterday before, like incorrectly, because Washington State has been a no tax state. That kind of puts a massive hole in that argument, right, because everybody makes this big deal about Florida being no tax, well so is Washington State. And a player said no, I think it's more important than the team's good. And then the no tax.
Speaker 1: Things a bonus. Yeah, and Peneren wanted to go to La He did want to go to wife's and actresses. Yeah. Businesses winning and losing taxes laptop.
Speaker 8: Front of laptop quickly early Holland pop figuring. Apparently he's not starting for Norway because I think that I think that things are set so they don't need to win. Does seem good, Well, it's it's it's still the group stage. You gonna remember, it's not a do or die game, so it sucks for us. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Is there a Massiva a member of Man City training cycle staff? I'm not sure.
Speaker 8: Uh, the team Canada bag clips in the middle. There the mini players. You can hook them onto your backpack, perset, et cetera. And I put a little hockey up today. These cards are from nineteen eighty forty five.
Speaker 1: You know why you come? You're going, Bryan, why just select nineteen eighty forty five?
Speaker 8: What's the deal with that? Well, let me tell you, Don, that includes potentially Pat Lafontaine overall pick. Boom pipe smoke.
Speaker 1: Wow, we brought one of the great third overall picks in National Hockey League history, Don Leaver, Okay, you're not gonna let me forget that. I'm telling you I'm gonna throw Derek under the bus on that one.
Speaker 3: Did Lafontaine not score that goal in overtime sixth period Washington.
Speaker 1: Islanders versus Washington? It was Pat Leafonte again, it was flatly it was it was Lafonte. You've got your pats right, but the wrong last Kay, it was against the Bob Mason. I remember that game. I've got a story about that. Okay, we got a brank please, it's a good Beer League story. When you want to talk, you talk for hours. Hey, us off, I was playing for the Burnaby Puckheads at the time at four rinks, not eight ringks. Overtime starts, Okay, overtime starts. We got a game to play. We're like, oh jeez, we got to play a game. You'll be happy about playing a game. But we wanted to watch the overtime. We finish our game. That overtime is still going on. We got to see the great story, great story the old penalty box next to the blue ring at four ringks. There's people out there nodding their head, going, gone, what a great story. DTMZ next Tony Dolly, the team on Chatter, three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday Noonters, and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com six oh four eight seven to two meter five two three two today.
Speaker 10: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safetyontour dot Ca.
Speaker 3: He It's eleven thirty four on a Friday morning, Donnie and Dolly on CHECKTV. It is now time for GTMG brought to you by the world famous Whistler Golf Club GOCY bigl out There, Great Track, Great Trailer.
Speaker 1: D TMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club where Phase three of their golf course renovation now underway. The golf course will reopen for play that's in the summer of twenty twenty seven. For the latest updates on the rental follow them on Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget the pro shop driving range open during the summer. In this rental phase, they have new greens being built by the way, Rick new irrigation is starting to fire up and they're preparing for Sonning. Oh big shout out to Al Chris Manson and everything. Ow. Great guy at Whistler. Let's get right to birthdays. We want to get some is Isigus mees on this NHL A drafting.
Speaker 3: Ryan, get up the sponsor in the music and let's get her going. Donny and Dali's Backscratchers and Dental Floss Emporium in Balzac, Alberta. This guy was a sixth round pick of the Devils in nineteen eighty four. Played for Oschwan the Ohl Devil's in eighty four Devil's eighty four. Grew up reaming of playing for the Toronto May Beliefs. Played in the nineteen seventy nine Quebec Peewee Tournament for a team from Toronto. Nineteen eighty seven the Devil sent him in Craig Billington to the Miners.
Speaker 1: He would only play six games. The goalie krikin for them. Eh, yeah, he's goally Devils. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was a finalist for two Vesnote eighty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I tried. It's Kirk McLain. Eh, you're gonna rip me for this.
Speaker 8: I only recently found out he was a Vesnam twelve.
Speaker 1: Oh how do you not know that he hates the ninety four? You do? I don't. I don't.
Speaker 8: But I'm reading Daniel Wagner's book right now, the one about the history of the Canocks of the draft, and I was like, I did not know that.
Speaker 1: And I'll stand by what I said if they ever retiedong Who's number one? Kurt Clay didn't make it a dual ceremony with Kirk McLain. Okay, look at this guy. I pitched for Gary Smith in there as well.
Speaker 3: Remember Gary Smith, Gary Bromley? Oh, Ken Reagan? You want to you want to go back?
Speaker 1: You want to? You wanna can? Reagan never played for that.
Speaker 8: I just you know what I'm talking about, former goal any any Beer leaguers you played with where the number one that you should have honored?
Speaker 1: His Wall Donning? Yeah, Smitty, okay, cool? Richard Briger, Okay, this guy was a high pick by.
Speaker 3: Florida in the nineteen ninety four in Florida Draft.
Speaker 1: Uh. In out of the ohl.
Speaker 3: He won a gold at the ninety five World Juniors with Canada named to the NHL All Rookie Team, nominated for the Calder for the league's rookie year, didn't win it. Played in the nineteen ninety six Stanley Cup Finals for Florida, playing three consecutive All Star Games. Signed as a UFA in Arizona, said I want to be coached by Wayne Gretzky. Big reason why you signed him, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Are you missing a major part of his career? Yeah, it's Jovo. I'm Joevenowski. If I say he was playing bank, who are you gonna get it? I was getting there.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 8: Didn't he start playing professional hockey at twelve twelve?
Speaker 1: Ship? Yeah? I think he was your dad. His dad was big into soccer, didn't what's this Canadian thing? Hockey? And he told his dad he wanted to play hockey, and twelve years old and six years later he picked first overall. What an athlete? What a story? What a nice guy? Oh yeah, what a story? Oh three penalty box Minnesota? Okay? This? Uh? You want to get to submissions or not?
Speaker 3: Let's go this Hall of Famer in the NFL played a college at Savannah State and NFL NFL Hall of Famer Savannah State Tigers fourteen years in the NFL seventh round pick by Denver in nineteen ninety, selected a seven consecutive Pro Bowls, won two consecutive Super Bowl titles a third with Baltimore. Come on, guys, are you serious? First tight end to a mass over ten thousand receiving yards? Are you serious Baltimore?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sharp? Oh yeah, what's sharp? Though?
Speaker 3: Shannon Sterling was the Sterling is also the end. Sterling's also in the Hall of Fame. Shannon is also well Sterling just got in right like last year or the year before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in twenty eleven. No, this guy Sharp's in a lot of Hall of fames.
Speaker 3: Shannon Sharps in the news for the wrong reasons all the time.
Speaker 1: That good guy, though not all the time. Yeah, a couple of Like there.
Speaker 8: Was a viral clip recently he left his Instagram on he shouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you watched it about forty five times. I have not seen the Shannon Sharp stop it. Hey there, I had a buddy.
Speaker 3: No, I had a buddy send it to me, and I said, no, I'm not gonna watch that, right, I put my foot down on stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna you know, come on, there's a VHS tape in the nineties, you did the same. Now, Tommy Lee Jones is different. Not Tommy, Not Tommy Lee, Tommy Lee, Tommy Lee.
Speaker 3: Tommy Lee Jones is a boat. I don't want to see Tommy Lee Jones in the video like that. But Tommy Tommy Lee video, I've seen that.
Speaker 1: I think for the things you don't want to see, you'd probably probably want to watch the Shannon Sharp video over the Tommy Lee video right. Definitely over the time in the Jones video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, EMERGI No, what about the movie and in Black Old Men in America?
Speaker 1: What's that movie called, Tommy? Old Country for No Men? Old Country for No Men? Was Tommy Lee Jones? It is? Oh he was the cop. He was the cop. Okay, Oh, Donnie, what are you doing? Great movie? He was I like the fugitive with Harrison. What's it called again, Great Men? Or Country for Old Men? Said no men? Ryan? Just give me the title Old Country for Old Men?
Speaker 8: No, no country, Old Country for No Country for Old Men?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great movie. I've seen it about five times. It wasn't called great man. That was a sharp video. Yeah, let's get off the videos.
Speaker 3: This Hall of Famer won the World Series five times. Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in twenty twenty fourteen All Star selections, five Gold Gloves, eighth player to reach three thousand hits, finished his career six in MLB history, and career hits second all the time among right handed hitters. Come on, okay, right handed Hank Aaron only behind Hank, only behind Hank. Yankees drafted him out of high school in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: Oh Jeter, Yeah, Derek, Derek Jeter. There you go, Derek jeterner, Oh so good? Yeah, he was good. Okay, which one is it? By the way? The top from the Seconday Friday? Right? Mick Mike Jones. Okay, Mick Jones seventy one years old and he and his British buddies are going to play us out September nineteen eighty two. Are you good with this? Yeah? And the album Combat Rock? This is the clash And should I stay or should I go on? Check? We're gonna stay on a BC. What what's going on? What's going on? I had Lady Gaga playing too. Sorry, great Sean, this is so good the clash Yeah BC Friday Morning? Is it just me? There? Don you got to lent me? No.
Speaker 3: A new era is underway and RBC is proud to be the newest partner of your Vancouver Canucks, says we write this next chapter. Starting next season, RBC clients they will get exclusive access to private entrances, in game perks, and enhanced experiences at all home games, bringing you closer to the Canucks experiences you love the most. Stay tuned for more details. Out of the twenty twenty six twenty twenty seven home opener, proudly presented by RBC. Your ideas happened here at RBC.
Speaker 1: Is just me, brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free here? Oh p e i SEE operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit opeice dot Ca to get more info. That's oh peice dot C. A Paul and Cannibell River. Is it just me? You mentioned great Kannuck. Well, if it's great, but great Cannuck third overall picks through the years. What about great Connuck twenty fourth overall picks through the years. You know what? I've got that right in front of me. You might even have this graphic here, Derek Cannucks twenty fourth overall picks. Jared McCann twenty fourteen. He didn't last long here and he's gone on to a stellar NHL career. Hunterson Kerrick at twenty thirteen, when they had Beauhorvet, when they drafted Bouhorvett earlier in the draft, and Rob Murphy going way back to nineteen eighty seven. So there you go, There you go. Knnuck's picking third and twenty fourth today. What do you got for? Is it just me? All right? I got this? Is it just me?
Speaker 3: But if we trade Jake debrask, Curtis Douglas and Evander Kainer gone, we have exactly zero Canadians. Zero makes me makes me as a Canadian sick to my stomach. The Canucks, do you have one Canadian left? Jake debrsk down if they trade Debraska here Joseph.
Speaker 1: Peer Olivia Joseph. If here Olivia Joseph, they do he was in no country for old man. Okay, amirate? Is it just me or is your concern level risen? After listening to r J speak yesterday, it seems like these guys don't have it to make tough decisions. He comes across very measured, oh, soft spoken, thoughtful. That doesn't mean they can't make a tough decisions very early. This guy, this guy is just a negative nanny.
Speaker 3: You're not an am No what the guys. I know he's a part of those cliki idiots on Twitter. But anyways, listen. He gives you clarity. He gives you clar every time you listen to Ryan Johnson, whether you like it or not, he gives you clarity. You go away from there thinking, Okay, I think I know what the Canucks are doing. That wasn't the case in the last two years.
Speaker 1: He said yesterday that he doesn't want to come back with the same roster. Yeah, and he doesn't. But also easier said than done. But that's what he said. The Canucks have seven no moves, so are you gonna sit seven guys down? That's not his fault.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's not his fault. But he's got seven no moves and people want fifteen trades by Saturday. Like, seven no moves is a significant number.
Speaker 1: RP and White Rock. Sorry, Rick, but is it just me? I still see a trade between the Canucks with third and maybe twenty fourth of Saint Louis for eleventh, fifteenth, and sixteenth since both teams have been quiet so far. I bring this up because Craig Button reworked his mock draft because of all the trades that have been made. He reworked his mock draft from earlier in the week, and he has the Blues taking the Rucks back to back, fifth, teen, sixteenth. I believe yes, so they would be together in Saint Louis. Yeah, because earlier he had the Canucks taking them later in the in the later in the draft.
Speaker 3: Let's see what happens to the Rucks. It might be today, it might be tomorrow, we don't know. It could be early second round. Joe from Kelowna, Is it just me? Or are the Lions not that good? Glad they're coming to clone up. But listen to you guys, and had first pick on our Great Cup draft, took the Lions. Look, Lions have been atrocious defensively first two weeks, Donnie, it's it's the d line is very disappointing. They faced two of the premier quarterbacks and got zero pass rush.
Speaker 1: Like what are you doing? Like I can't.
Speaker 3: Remember one time bold le By Mitchell was on the run last week in Hamilton like the d Lins gotta they got to wake up, get pressure on.
Speaker 1: The quarterback and ebonton Elex now three and oh they want to pick last night? Is it just me? Ryan? This is for you from Rob and Slave Lake. Oh he's currently in Parksville for the weekend. By the way, thanks for the update, Rob, Is it just me? But don keep him coming? Love the old beer League stories? There you go, Ryan, I you know I it's too bad you don't have any. But don't put us down because we have some good Beer League stories. Is thatctly related to you? No?
Speaker 3: No, But and I'll tell you something else, Donnie. And I know where Slave Lake is. I've been there, just outside of Edmonton. You can book it, you can google it. Because you're shaking your head, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Not shaking my head.
Speaker 3: It's outside of Edmonton, Slave Lake. I've been there. It's a beautiful little area. So anyways, Donnie and I know where Slave Lake is because we paid our dues in northern BC and Northern Alberta many moons ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Sure. Meanwhile, he's complaining with the rain today because it's slightly chilly.
Speaker 1: It's the end of June. Why the hell is there? Well, you can't, but you'll complain about the weather this month one day.
Speaker 3: Hold of a second. Now there's a week of rain coming up. What what do you need it?
Speaker 1: Whole winter? Did you not get your full? Uh? Whatever? The rain in the winter? Hey resist June? Is it drought? Man? We need the rain? Yeah? Stop it. See you'll be complaining a month from now when we've had thirty straight days of thirty three degree Uh Jack, no, put that out of your pipe. Oh because I get the tap top out and I love it. What do we do now? Okay? Speaking of videos, Uh a break? Wrap up the show in the poll question next, Donney del I have the team on check. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 3: Ope, I see is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment just.
Speaker 1: Like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 3: Old electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill.
Speaker 1: If you're electric.
Speaker 3: Outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 1: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Is it ope I see dot CA to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's ope I see dot CA was just ahead of the wattling dog up poll question. Update again, we continue our campaign to get Born to be Alive played on a regular basis at Rodgers Arena during Canuck Games or Warrior games whatever franchise. Car Are you listening out there? The campaign is not going well. They love us, they love us. It's been five years. Dog poll rick.
Speaker 3: Right up the wadling dog pup pole question, and it is very simple about the draft tonight in Buffalo, Ryan, get it up, Get it up. You can't tap, dance, I can't tap. It's because we got photos coming up. Beautiful photo of panorama. Anyways, our waddling dog pole question, assuming McKenna and Stenberger. The first two picks who should the Canucks take?
Speaker 1: Third?
Speaker 3: And leading the way Pase Reed, followed by Klea Mahoulter and then Vigio b. York And at the bottom is Carson Krell good Canadian kid, Carson Krels.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And again the operative word here is should. So people saying that should take Chase Reed American defenseman. They're already strong on defense. Do they want another American defenseman? A lot of questions there, Okay, pictures before we get to pictures. Are you doing the little cross pitcher? We can do the cross pitcher. But we got a hello to the Richardson family. Oh yes, very much involved with the salmon bellies. They were honored last night, so speak hello to them. Thank you for that shout out salmon bellies. Go look at this. This is one of my favorite pictures.
Speaker 3: Got a chance to golf Gray Wolf in Panorama BC signature sixth hole, part three over a ravine and I landed the t shot three free from the hole. This is David Hart from West Vancouver. David, this might be one of the best pictures we have ever received. Is it reminds me of the course by you Westwood Platow. They got the same ravine. Part three shot it's anyway, it's beautiful. That is the nice picture sent by David Hart. Where are we going down right in overseas?
Speaker 1: Next one is that well, yeah it's Scotland.
Speaker 3: Look at this day one from the Hog Tour golf group in Saint Andrews. Quarters of nine rounds and twelve days including the old new courses. Good anyways, all these courses x wh x w L A and dart Men's soccer cub players, Dartmount, Dartmount. Yeah, we got the entire trip without nay a drop of rain. Rick and the ridge from the left, rich Scotland, not bad press old rain. Well you can't say the same here. All right, get it up again. Show these guys. They're the Ryan Donnie what are they the Dartmouth Soccer Club.
Speaker 1: Yeah what a gaz he said, x w l A as well, Yeah so what great. The gentleman on the left has the Donnie Dolly quarters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rick in the ridge, great picture. Thanks guys, good golf pictures today.
Speaker 8: We don't have we don't have time to shout out to JJ from he said to scot he said, we's golf in Fiji.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that. Okay, our last week before our break next week. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks. Have a great weekend, Have a happy Draft Day, NHL Draft Day, World Cup, my gosh, so much going on. BC alliance on behalf of Riot Derek Rick. Everybody here at Oh Boy check, I'm don You're up to date in the world sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.