Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Campaign Wise, Vice President Harris said to participate tonight in a televised town hall hosted by CNN. Just a short time ago, she actually made a statement outside the official residence for the Vice President of the Naval Observatory on some comments that the former White House Chief of Staff John Kelly has made suggesting that Trump wants to be a fascist leader.
Speaker 1: That he was complimentary talking about Hitler's lieutenants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that he wanted a bunch of people that would be he wanted a military that was going to be loyal to him, among other things. Will actually play for you some of that audio coming up, including Vice President Harris's statement from earlier.
Speaker 1: I think they want this to be the October surprise that Trump is Hitler or likes Hitler, or wants a gobulls or what have you.
Speaker 3: It would be if.
Speaker 2: Nobody had said it before, right, But all you're doing is saying the same exact thing. Now, listen, there is something to be said. This is a guy who served as the White House Chief of Staff. He's the guy Argua will be closer than anybody else in the administration to the actual workings of Donald Trump. But is it enough to make any sort of difference in those and I heard it put today not just the uncommitted voters at this point, but those unenthusiastic voters.
Speaker 4: That may not be the surprise.
Speaker 1: Mark Halpern, who was among the first to report that Biden would withdraw from the race back in July, he said, there's a certain story that has been pitched to major news outlets that, if true, could derail Trump's campaign in the final days. He says he doesn't believe the story is accurate, but the impact would be the October surprise everyone's been waiting for. If it was true, it would end Trump's campaign. He said, what could that want possibly be?
Speaker 2: The guy has been teflon for all of the things that have been proven about him, all the things that have been lied.
Speaker 1: A live girl or a dead boy, I mean, I don't know, or is it a live boy and.
Speaker 4: A dead girl?
Speaker 2: A live boy or a dead girl. But even that I think today is not It's not what it used to be.
Speaker 4: I know, I really don't know what it could possibly be.
Speaker 2: What I don't quite get is yet, And I mentioned this the other day when we were talking about fundraising and how Kamala Harris has raised a billion dollars. How can you still be in a tie when you have a bank roll like that? Is it more proof is he's he is a deeply flawed candidate, but they can only match him. They can only be fifty to fifty in the polls. So is it proof that somehow it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter when it comes to him that he is deeply flawed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that they can't they can't scrape together some candidate that's not as deeply flawed to even just get a three or four or seven point margin over that guy.
Speaker 1: That's a part of the reason, part of his allure is that he's deeply flawed. Okay, So da George Gascone is throwing up a hail Mary to save his seat there as district Attorney in LA and he's taking all of the publicity that's gone on with Ryan Murphy's Netflix series and he's trying to use it to get past that political finish line.
Speaker 2: So last night he's on Jake Tapper, he explains that by the end of this week he's going to have a decision on that. One of the questions that Jake Tapper, well, the question that he led with was last weekend, ten days ago or so, Gascone posted on social media the alleged letter from Lyle Menendez to one of his cousins. I believe it was yes that talked about abuse and talked about being victimized by their dad.
Speaker 1: They're saying, this is the new evidence that this was a narrative that was peddled in court, but there was no evidence showing it. This note to the cousin proves that there was something going on, to which I say, there was evidence a trial that these two were thinking about how to get away with murder months before the murders. It was premeditated in its definition, and the idea that they could have put this in motion to the letter of the cousin to kind of float this already is not out of the realm possibility.
Speaker 2: The question to Da Gascon was should that letter have been introduced as evidence in the trial?
Speaker 6: I believe that it probably should have been. I think it was up for a jury to decide the value, the evidence ary value of that letter. And you know, this is a trial that occurred twice. Right, Originally the trial, the jury couldn't come to a conclusion or at hunt. Then on the second trial, there was a lot of evidence that was not precent that was presented on the first trial that was not present then, and they were found guilty and there's no question that they murdered their parents.
Speaker 2: Horrible, which is surprising because I didn't expect to even say that that there's no question that they murdered their parents.
Speaker 1: Well, he's just saying they should be shown leniency because because the abuse happened, and the evidence of the abuse was so thin, that's why it wasn't presented.
Speaker 6: He went on to say, we are reviewing two different possibilities of relief. Right approximately a year a little over a year ago, their defense team brought in what we call a havious claim, which basically is, hey, there was evidence that should have been presented to the jury that wasn't and if that evidence were to be percented, the outcome might have been different. That's one way of potential relief. And then there's another way in the California Low that says, hey, you have people that have been in prison for a very long time. They have rehabilitated, they are safe to be reintegrated in the community.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, and then it goes like you were saying.
Speaker 2: The elder parole rules in the state of California that if you've served a significant chunk as at twenty years and you've turned fifty, then you can be eligible for parole right away. He also said, did George gascon that he's accelerating his timeline on this one in response to increased public attention.
Speaker 4: That's not a thing.
Speaker 1: You should do it after your investigation is completed into the case, not because everyone's watching Ryan Murphy's show on Netflix and wants you to do something.
Speaker 2: That's not who you answer to. Good lord, all right, La Times has done something. Well, they've not done something for the first time in a long time, and it is significant.
Speaker 3: We'll explain what's going on.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary, Jan and Chuck Glovis listening to your show and don't have to work today, amazing.
Speaker 8: Describe deeply flawed, Name a bunch of his flaw, and then name a bunch of Kamalas laws, which.
Speaker 4: You'll probably find are even more don't just.
Speaker 8: Say deeply flawed and leave it in that describe explain otherwise just an opinion.
Speaker 3: I mean to go.
Speaker 2: Any number of things that he has said, grab them by the p is one example of the name. All of that stuff is a flaw when it comes to a presidential candidate. The stuff that Kamala Harris is flawed. The reason she would be flawed is she don't receive any primary votes period. In two election cycles, she has not received any primary votes, and she is the nominee for the Democratic Party. She pulls very poorly when you compare it to traditional Democratic groups that support she pulls very poorly with them.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are flaws. It is not it's not an opinion.
Speaker 2: It's just generally the truths that if another candidate was in the position, either at the top of the Republican Party look at Nikki Haley, or the top of the Democratic Party look at somebody like Dean Phillips, they would pull better than these people, which proves that they are flawed candidates.
Speaker 1: They've all been flawed, you know when you look at personally, I mean jfk ran around all the time, but you just he wasn't open about it. Trump runs around, and it's just it is what it is.
Speaker 3: And it's just the truth about humanity. We're all going to be taught.
Speaker 4: Humans are awful, We're all flawed.
Speaker 2: The La Times came out at the beginning of September with their September tenth, specifically with their slate of endorsements for the November election, and it starts with this line, it's no exaggeration to say this may be the most consequential election in a generation. And we're not just talking about the presidential race. But they did not endorse a candidate in the presidential race. Now, we've known since they've since they endorsed Obama in two thousand and eight, they've picked a Democrat every time, and there were times in the seventies and eighties where they kind of stayed out of the world to presidential polace politics and focused on the local stuff. Well, we kind of know a little bit more about the behind the scenes as to why they didn't choose any endorsement for this presidential election. In twenty eighteen, the owner of the paper, doctor Patrick Sun Shong, overruled the wishes of the editorial board because they wanted to endorse Elizabeth Warren in the primaries. The La Times editorial board and Sun Schong said no, there will be no endorsement in the primary. They eventually endorsed Joe Biden in the general election in twenty twenty, which was not a giant surprise, but they also said that there were several endorsements that were made in recent election cycles of candidates that are supported by doctor Sun Schong's daughter, Nika. She's a pretty progressive person politically speaking, when it comes to things like racial justice, some of the politics in when it comes to the war in Gaza at some points of what you would you say, heartened and emboldened some of the staff and at the time the paper, the La Times told a reporter for Politico that there was no involvement from the daughter when it came to La Times endorsements. Like I said, mid seventies until two thousand and eight, they didn't endorse any presidential candidates because of internal dissent over the decision to endorse Richard Nixon for reelection months after Watergate. Thin think about that, speaking of flawed candidates, a guy so flawed that even after the Watergate break in the La Times was willing to endorse a Republican president.
Speaker 3: Times have changed, all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we'll tell you what you need to know about the tainted McDonald's burgers. Also more on Fernando Vealnzuela. Yeah, let us know your memories of Fernando. You saw him pitch, or you met him or anything like that. Leave us a talkback message.
Speaker 2: Simply hit that little microphone button on the app when you're listening and record a message and send it right to us.
Speaker 4: Done it.
Speaker 1: Just sixty three years old, recently stepped down to focus on his health, but still, what a shock.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: McDonald's is home to a deadly E. Coli outbreak. Unfortunately, we see these from time to time, affecting certain chains, restaurants, products. I think Trader Joe's was the last one we saw.
Speaker 3: So far.
Speaker 2: Fifty people just about fifty people reported infected. Twenty four infections occurred in Nebraska, nine in Colorado.
Speaker 4: One person died.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Official said the number of people infected is probably higher. It usually takes three or four weeks to determine if a sick person is part of that outbreak and because many people recover without ever being tested.
Speaker 3: They just feel like they got a little stomach fluke. I don't. I've never had.
Speaker 4: It's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: You're a healthy person.
Speaker 4: I was sitting here sweating.
Speaker 2: From what I remember, yes, and it was a clammy look on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I looked gray and I was sweating, and did go to the urgent care. And it's not a fun process to find out if you have ekola.
Speaker 4: I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Well, story time, tell me more. How did they figure out.
Speaker 1: If you have So it was a taco outside the stadium in Mexico City that I fell for. I took one bite of it and knew it was wrong, one bite and then finished the whole thing, no one bite, and in the wastebasket it went. I knew there was something off, Laba something, and so I came to work, got back from Mexico City. We hours, came into work, felt ill. Thought it was maybe the altitude from Mexico City, maybe that taco, Maybe just a slight case of food poisoning. So I sat here in sweat fever chills, and you said, go home, put on a pair of sweatpants, have a shot of whiskey and just sweat it out.
Speaker 3: Let me. It was two shots. Just to be clear.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get home, I put on sweats, I get into bed, and it's not getting better. I take my temperature. It's one hundred and four degrees.
Speaker 3: It seems high.
Speaker 4: That seems high, doesn't it.
Speaker 9: Gary.
Speaker 1: At that point I went to the urgent care where they have you go to the bathroom in a bucket and then there's more and then the guy comes in to get it. Oh, and he made eye contact. It was awful, awful. I still remember it like it was yesterday. That was six years ago.
Speaker 2: The CDC is working to identify you remember this, it's working to identify this specific ingredient responsible. They said two ingredients in particular. Now McDonald says it was the fresh slivered onions, but the CDC hasn't ruled out fresh beef patties, so they that's tough.
Speaker 1: That's tough because there's a lot of beef patties involved with McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Well, and think about this. The fast food chain has proactively removed both of those ingredients used for the burgers from stores in the affected states. As a result, you cannot get a quarter pounder in those states until they figure all of this out, this said it would have began, the outbreak would have began September twenty seventh. No infections reported in California as of yet, but in addition to the Nebraska and Colorado where the most of them are, infections have been confirmed in Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: You know what sucks about E coli if you're one of the businesses affected by it, is every time there's a new ecoli outbreak, they've got to relive yours. Like the last bit in this article says one of the last major ecoli outbreaks took place in twenty fifteen when Chipotle was linked to sixty cases around the nation.
Speaker 4: Like Chipotle's like, come on, man, like we got through that.
Speaker 1: That was like nearly ten years ago, and you've got to bring it up again. And now people are thinking about E coli in connection with Chipotle And how much money did we lose from people that read this article today.
Speaker 3: And isn't Chipotle now owned by McDonald's is it? I think so?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: I had no idea they agreed did Chipotle to pay twenty five million dollars to resolve criminal charges that alleged for several years that the contaminated food sickened more than eleven hundred people across the United States.
Speaker 3: Including E.
Speaker 2: Coli, norovirus, and salmonella.
Speaker 3: That's all, okay, I.
Speaker 2: Promise I won't make you relive that story every time we do a story about E.
Speaker 3: Cole.
Speaker 4: You even played the storytime music I did, and you said storytime, storytime, and.
Speaker 1: You're all excited about it because you wanted to hear about the bucket.
Speaker 4: You always want to hear about the bucket.
Speaker 3: I never want to hear about the bucket.
Speaker 4: Then why do you call for that story.
Speaker 2: I feel other people should be aware of what equal I can do to a person.
Speaker 4: And what you have to go through after it's done.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eye contact, eye contact with the guy with the bucket, guy poor man.
Speaker 1: But you know what, when I talked to I'll just save somebody in connection with the Chargers, one of the owners of the team, he went through the same experience I did. So it doesn't matter if you're a little person like me or you own an NFL team. Everyone gets the bucket.
Speaker 3: We're all made out of the same meat.
Speaker 4: Doesn't discriminate. You got to go in the bucket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's good.
Speaker 1: Was it the same trip? It wasn't the same trip that that? Yes, oh it was? Oh yeah, so we have this shared bond. Well, you also have a lack of curiosity when it comes to what does meat taco mean? You're just willing to put it in your maw. All right, more on memories when it comes to Fernando Valenzuela.
Speaker 3: When we come back.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Quick Sports note show Teo Sho he Otani.
Speaker 2: That's how you say it is fifty to fifty home run ball sold for four point thirty nine to two million.
Speaker 1: But it's contested, isn't it. Somebody says it was stolen from you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they went ahead with the sale.
Speaker 2: Anyway, they'll get they'll figure it out at some point. Well, listen, Fernando Valenzuela had a storied career from his very first start with the La Dodgers.
Speaker 11: Alan Zuela delivers what a way to start, Fernando Valenzuela, And it's worth quickly start. Let's just shut.
Speaker 2: Out think of a twenty year old showing up to the majors today, starting on opening Day and pitching no a complete game shutout in that first start.
Speaker 1: Well, his first eight starts he won, five of them were shutouts.
Speaker 4: That's that would be complete mania.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that we talk about. We talked with Tim Kates, the host of Dodger Talk a little bit earlier, about the cultural impact that Fernando Valenzuela had, not just on the Dodgers in LA which was huge, but major League Baseball in general, where this this influx of a huge number of Latin players from all around Latin America that were sort of ushered in and accepted, and not that others weren't in the past, but they did not come in in the great numbers that they did after Fernando Valenzuela. So we were asking you about some of the memories that you have had about watching Fernando Vealezuela play.
Speaker 9: And I believe Fernando Valenzuela passing away. I met Fernando over thirty years ago at Montapella golf Course. I always remember his cherubic spile, played many rounds of golf with him. He was a really good golfer. Left handed about a one or two handicap.
Speaker 3: And that's not bad.
Speaker 10: I mean, Hey, Garian Shannon, good morning, Charles in Oregon. Rest in Peace, Fernando. I was ten years old watching Fernando in nineteen eighty one and yeah, great memories. What else can you guys are covering it? It's a wow. Rest in Peace, Fernando.
Speaker 12: Greg Garry Shannon is the course I king currently in Cosa, Mesa. I'm a born and raised Anahei. I'm born an Angel fan, but I remember watching Fernando when I was a kid man. That guy was incredible. Sad that he's gone. I do have love for him, and I do have love for Kirk Gibson, but those are the only two do years. I like go Angels.
Speaker 1: He brought the highest average attendance in Dodger Stadium history in nineteen eighty one. Up until that point, boxing historian author Gene Aguilera said it was like an East La backyard party. He was like a family member. You would visit every four days at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 8: Gary also on the complete games where he had twenty in the season, all in Major League Baseball. In this season, every single team in the Major leagues this year there were only two complete games thrown. Think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I mean those statistics of complete Now, granted it was a different era. He wasn't the only one that was throwing multiple complete games in a season. But we just don't see that anymore.
Speaker 3: We just did. I mean that either.
Speaker 2: Protecting people's elbows or shoulders or whatever it is. It's just not the same, which shall not be the same. So you don't want to do news, no news.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is my nightmare, debrah, this is my nightmare come true. I used to always come in, come in, let's talk about our nightmares. I used to always have this nightmare when I was anchering for John and Ken that the computer. It would be like ten fifty seven or two fifty seven or what have you, which it is right now, it's ten fifty seven, and all of a sudden, my computer would just freeze and they would come to me.
Speaker 4: For the news and I would have no news. And this was my nightmare repeatedly.
Speaker 1: And then one day it happened and there was no news, and I'd just say, guys, we're not having news.
Speaker 13: Well that's kind of what's happening. So RCS, which is where we get the news. It's it's crashed, but for whatever reason, it was okay for me in the news booth, but for nobody else. And then we also have a problem on the board, so one of our engineers is replacing the board and everything is kind of going haywire, and so I think I'm stressing him out by standing over him. So I said, and he's.
Speaker 4: Rich is great. I mean, he is the best engineer I've ever worked. He's amazing. I just said, would you like me just not to do let.
Speaker 1: Me tell you a little story about Rich. We got back from We're where was the game Phoenix? We get back from Phoenix and it's about two am, and we're walking to our cars at the facility, at the Charters facility, and Rich goes, oh, man, I just remembered I've got to do such and such for Amy King's special on the NASA Special. So he came into work at two in the morning to make sure she was good to go for her five am show after working, after working twelve hours, going to the stadium and getting me set up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he doesn't charged eighteen hours probably.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, well he got me set up to do this show. So that was nine am on Monday, and then he's there through the whole game, so nine to thirty pm, and then we fly back and he.
Speaker 4: Goes right back to work. Nice guy. You know what does that? I was going to say, who who? Not a lot of people. No, No, that's why I didn't want to stress him out. Oh it's working.
Speaker 3: No, but we are going to do travel.
Speaker 13: We're going to go to traffic.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let me do you want to play the ID, Robin, Let's just let's just pull the curtain back completely.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, let's play it.
Speaker 3: Robin, play the ID so that we don't have to say it.
Speaker 4: Okay. I don't have my headphone, so I can't even hear it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I'll put my finger overrom my mouth when I need you to shut the Yeah, go ahead, clear.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on kf I AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app