Speaker 1: Well see, and now I'm all confused on that because I used to know the music, John. I used to know the countdown to welcome John to all that, and I'm like, are we going live? And then I'm on camera. I destroyed the entire illusion that we were to create, John, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great and I got I'm I can't front on that new music. I love the new music. I love it. I think stream Yard has done a great thing with this new music.
Speaker 1: It really chills me out here before we're ready to go. I do promise, I do promise we are. I think I've made a better mood today. I certainly couldn't be in as bad of the move as I was last week. But we have a ton of stuff to talk about today. Welcome to the Markcast Week three. Here ufl or recapin analysis John Lewis with John Lewis Sports follow him a hour later today. I appreciate flexibility. I had to go get a shoot in before I'm plying to Vegas tomorrow. John. It suns out, guns out what Pat call? Yeah? Yard read is here?
Speaker 2: Yard Reid has returned real spring football.
Speaker 1: Twenty four hours from now, Dorothy and I will be at the Oyo Hotel in the pool, all things hopefully here in Vegas and then gearing up for WrestleMania weekend next weekend. So John, we're going to have a dilemma here in the minute we'll talk with you about. But yeah, welcome everyone. Lots of comments, exciting stuff here first of all, and then I'll do the plugs and said, John, this was an a low bar, but the best weekend of UFL football we've had.
Speaker 2: The first thing I had in my notes, like after I watched all the games, like was this the best week? And I think we have to say yes. No, I mean maybe the bars low, but these were really fun games, even the ten to nine Arlington Birmingham game. Was it great football?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But was it fun at the end. I mean probably not for Arlington fans, but I mean it was wild and you had you know, we'll talk about them all, but you know Memphis and I listen, I had. I had to wear my Houston rough necks here. They got the win. I don't know if they'll get another one. We see J blowing kisses to the crowd. I mean it was it was a whole vibe down there.
Speaker 1: It was good. So we really do have a jam pack show today, a lot of destroy and Haiti and we'll be on there. John has Eyewinness accounts from Memphis. John went went to Mecca, went to They went to Liberty Stadium there in Memphis, talking through all the other games. Lots of have to get to like and subscribe, give a thumbs up on the channel. I try to get this up. Remember, we are doing two free jerseys through Dustin at Royal Retros when we hit four thousand subscribers, John, you also have your promo code. See. I was still like we got done with the stream last week and I was like, God, I was so mad. I didn't even plug anything. So I can't be mad enough to not I gotta plug and then I can get mad. John, tell us about your referral code. We'll get some comments. We'll get underway here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go to Royal Retros dot com, there's a place to put a code in when you're checking out. If you put JLS for John Lewis Sports, you'll get ten percent off your order.
Speaker 1: There you go and get and like subscribe here. Like I said, Dustin helping me out anything you need jersey wise, he's got the letters coming from me. I'm building a custom mare in a Jersey. Very excited about that. Comments here, and then we have a conundrum we'll get into before the week. Here Scott checking in, Hey reading John good evening, William's checking in here. What's happening, gentlemen? How about those DC defenders duel here? I'm surprised John is back to being quoted on ESPN. Oh did you make it up? I didn't even realize he got me.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: Football Talk four ms have picked it up bigger shows. Amazing to me. That amazing to me. That like, that was a cool thing to me. And if you looked at the comments, it was read, You're the worst person in the world. And I'm like, I thought that was kind of a cool thing. And then everybody thought I was apparently the worst person in the world because that wasn't the right You going to Memphis. I'm like, he's in Memphis this weekend. He doesn't live there. He travels to Saint Louis multiple times. Like you want to talk to a super fan that they're oh, read You're just the worst. I'm like, right, Well, here's here's the thing. Both of us have worked in local journalists. We both worked in journalism. When you're working on a deadline and someone says, hey, can you talk to me, and then the person that you're trying to talk to says, yes, I can talk to you. They're going to pick up the phone right there and talk to you. Because as our man, uh, as our man analyze and educate, says Pat says, uh, you know.
Speaker 2: The best ability is availability. And so I was available, and I was. There was one quote. There was one quote in that article. And I don't know why people got so mad like I was some Battlehawk's poser, but it was one quote. It is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of that all yes, all football, uh whatever, we all football. That just what is the name of the website? All folltball gy Just guys getting righten up. But it's good. It's exciting. So we're going to get in everything. We got Mike's we got Mike's say, TV ratings for the Friday night game that came in. We have attendance and then we have a UFL championship location kind of all that stuff. John. Here is what we we will decide at the end of the show. Here's the question I'm going to wrestle Innia next weekend. I will admittedly not be watching any United Football League action next week. Uh, we will need to decide if you're gonna want and I can co host. And now I'm not promising anything, but I am going to WrestleMania. And I have not talked to this person with the long time. People know who I'm talking about, So I don't know. If we could work on something when we're in Vegas together. I think that could be kind of cool. So you'll need to decide. We'll decide, but we could have like spoiler alert, like I could get Paul Sanchez on next week. I gotta work on it, but I'm gonna be I mean, I'm gonna be in the hotel with them. You may get Paul back on. You got to decide, John, if that's worth it. I think people would be exciting and excited to see. Uh would you do you? Did you even listen back when Paul was an authors?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I'm sure I did. Yeah, John's not excited at all. I think no, I think it's great. But here's the thing, A lot of people need to realize. This is Easter weekend. So Sunday I was just informed earlier that I am having dinner with my in laws, and of course being it's gonna you know, when you have dinner on the holiday, it has to be at the weirdest time ever, So it's going to be at four thirty Eastern time. So I don't know how much football I will get in before we do the podcast.
Speaker 1: If we do the podcast, so well, we'll decide, Well, it will be TVD, but we maybe we'll do it. We'll do a pow wow. Maybe we'll just shoot the breeze and hang out and I'll probably be hung over. It could be fun to give me fun.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Last comment here, Read is the heel of the UFL community. John is the ould school baby. I like that. I like that. Let's get to this first. Mike Mitchell here, just breaking news on this UFL Friday night here six eighty two thousand for the Renegade Stallions game. I was looking at my article. A three percent increase, so I said, I, I said, Darryl Johnston is probably popping champagne somewhere decent, decent. Uh, we're there. I think that's the floor. I think six hundred. That's kind of where we're at. Any I don't need we don't need to do a deep dive on this today, but it kind of thoughts on it. I feel like we've discovered kind of where we're at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know we were you mentioned our boys seth last uh last week, and he's he's trying to convince me that these numbers are okay, and I really pushed back. We had a lot of discussions back and forth, but I I think you're right, and I think he's right, like this is what the number is gonna be, you know here, and the good thing is I mean, you know, it's it was a Friday night. It was not a great game, so that maybe that is the that's what it's gonna be. And if that's what it's gonna be, I think that's okay. I really expected more, you know, going into it, that it would be more than that, like maybe around the eight hundred thousand of maybe nine hundred thousand mark, and you know, I don't know what the projections are, and maybe that was just being too optimistic, but you know, being on Fox on Friday night, I thought they would they would maybe get some more numbers than that. So but if that's what it is, it's what it's. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and Mike Mitchell right about this as well. If you want to see this. His article for the ratings is always have a UFL and newsub dot com over there with Mark and everything on that Mike's skin. It kind of balancing some of you know, we get some of the articles market some of the articles. It's good, you know, the Friday night thing paints a picture, and I think maybe if we get through the halfway point of the season, maybe we can, you know, stop down here. It's just there has been no apples to apples, even the kickoff game versus last year's kickoff game and the Saturday and the Friday and now yeah, we have the Friday stuff here. I hate the standalone Saturday game. I wish the UFL was at a point where we could do the one Friday double header, Saturday double head Sunday. I loved the doubleheader Sunday, mostly just because I was at home. I was I had the Mariners on one screen, I had the UFL, and then it rolled in today like that was awesome. That's what you need. I know. You've talked a lot about the gap, right kind of between the games. You know, you want to tighten that up and scheduling, but I don't, you know, six hundred thousand on the round, my point, six hundred thousand for Fox on a Friday is different than six hundred thousand ABC Midday on a Saturday. So I would just like to see kind of once we get midway through the season and kind of where where the actual network ratings kind of balance out, because like the FS what we we just haven't had a lot of like sample size this season thus far.
Speaker 2: I don't think, Yeah, you know, my concern is, and in fact, there's a comment right here on this thread there. My concern is, does Fox start to look at this and say, we could have put a rerun of Mass Singer that that aired earlier in the week and probably gotten the same numbers. So I don't know, you know, how much they're they're willing to invest. Is it like, is it going to cost them more to air a Mass Singer than it would be to put on a full production on a Friday night. I don't know, So that's my only concern, But you're you're right, I think that this is what it's gonna be. I thought they would do it up a lot more than they did and make it a presentation and we just really have not seen that. We did get Kevin Coogler though, so that was pretty nice. That was a good crew they had Friday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just looking here because Leon's talking about next weekend, you know again going up again trusting Mania next weekend. Uh, you know the Friday night game. I hate how they they guy can scroll here. Let me pull this up just real quick. We'll do schedule step at the end on here. But yeah, the Friday game at Ford Field, Saturday here, twelve thirty midday, right, both of these, so twelve thirty and then seven, you're going to begin to WrestleMania starting for that night game and then Sunday here at five, so you're going up. Well, see you also had yeah two week to Fox to ABC. What do you also have the nineteen million people or whatever Sunday they watched Rory on The Masters, So I'll be curious what the doubleheader on Sunday looks like for the.
Speaker 2: You know, that's what we talked about about. That was the main sports competition and I did not realize that, you know, when Rory got was in contention there pretty early, and then it looked like, you know, end up that final round being pretty good. I was like, oh, this could be tough for the UFL.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean talk about just just sports drama and human interest. I mean, I'm not a golf guy, and I sat there last night watching the recap just like I'm like, I'm holding my phone and then he's walking up, but I just he just couldn't imagine, just couldn't imagine. I thought it was really cool. Yeah, lots of comments here. I'm just kind of scrolling through here. Maybe we'll do some comments at the end about all that. So I see Scott and all that just marketing promoting getting the stuff out of here. But we'll see. I'll be curious. You're never gonna have a clean weekend. I joked about this a lot when the USFL came in, and well, April is the best time because nothing's on. And then the second they hit the Ratians and it was like, well, you know, we have golf and then you have women's basketball, you know, the draft or what they come up with all these you know, every time of year is the best time of year until it's not.
Speaker 2: And right, that was Yeah, I mean, I still kind of leaned toward I really wish they would start in February, but you know this, this is what we have right now. We could what's golf anyway? So yeah, to me, I thought that that February start was almost perfect. It was certainly perfect when we had almost around football with the NFL, the XFL, the USFL. Those are the good old days.
Speaker 1: Uh. We got Mike's attendance here so Birmingham the Friday night, ten thousand on that Memphis right around that forty five hundred mark Michigan. You know, we've talked about this and distribution, and then the Saint Louis that's kind of their base number there. We've talked a lot about distributed tickets and all of that. Last week, I will tell you I thought the Battlehawk's crowd looked very low. That was the lowest that I had seen. I wasn't uh I think it ended up. I did people, you know, of course, comment and where like I didn't think it was like, I was just like, I'm just watching. I never think like it's the most like I'm seeing. I'm like, this is the least amount of people ever. You're an idiot, But it did they padded that. I'm probably closer to twenty twenty five on that. Anything stand out for you there dies Mission Memphis. Did that feel like a five thousand person crowd?
Speaker 2: No, No, it was not. And I mean, you know, like we said, we're not going to freak out about the numbers when because you know, again we know what the numbers are. It's tickets distributed. We've talked about that. There were not There's no way there was forty seven hundred people there. I mean it was fun, it was you know, there were times when it got as loud as it could. They don't sell tickets on one side of the stadium, so you don't have anybody over there. They're all on one side of the stadium. So no, that that was. But even still, even inflated, it's still forty seven hundred.
Speaker 1: That's tough, you know, thirteen thousand week three average like that. That makes me feel a little That makes me feel a little like you're not trying to be too bad, but it makes me feel a little bit like whether we're doing here well.
Speaker 2: It also makes me a little concerned. I need to go back and look at it. But teaser here you might see a video come out, Oh don't know, maybe tomorrow around six am Eastern time. Talking about Memphis and all the different leagues that have played there, especially in the Liberty Bowl. But when we started talking about you know, you start looking it's like all these were terrible attendances for the AAF and even the CFL back in the mid nineties it was still about three to four times what we're seeing right now with these numbers, and that that makes me a little concerned. Now again, I'm sorry again, I know a lot of people are gonna say this. The attendance and ticket sales are not a big part of the financial model. But after a while you have to start asking yourself, why aren't we connecting with the local community. If there's not interest here, is there going to be interest nationwide?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a question here from David just Birmingham, Carroll. I see them when they're at least Memphis is bad. The salary to one of the shining examples. It's hard because you get to that, you get to that quo, you know, you get both sides of that right where Wow, like the Brahmas have been bad, so how do you expect them to get or Memphis has been bad. But yeah, but then you go, shoot man Burmie. I mean you couldn't you couldn't ask for more from Birmingham from a sports team and a well run organization and good coaching and good staff and you know, a good GM there before he moved and got it right, didn't Zach? Didn't he get promoted somewhere else or whatever? Yeah, you had all of these states like so, so it's both sides of it. I don't know. I think we need to do a deep dive on this. I've even seen people commenting on my stuff kind of you co signing me and just like why, like why is this not working? Why a Memphis? Why Ald? I? I mean it is a dead horse at this point. But uh, that that is there are certain markets where it does not feel like things are resonating. But then you see Michigan kind of you know, tick up a little bit and you think, well, is that working out? To me, Memphis is the worst because that is the second longest ten year team in a home market, you know, after Birmingham.
Speaker 2: Well, and I will say there was severe weather in the area in Birmingham before the game. Now when the game started, if anyone if you watched it, you could tell there was not severe weather. It did look like it might have been raining a little bit. Uh, but still your team's won three championships. Go, you know, as long as there's not lightning in the area, go sit out in the sprinkle and it's fun. I mean I was down there last year for the season finale and it was poor and rain but there were still a lot of people around and it was humid, and that's what it was. But it's you know, there weren't as many people as it should have been for a game that technically decided the USFL Conference champion, even though if Michigan had won, they still would have had to play at Birmingham because ford Field wasn't available.
Speaker 1: Here's my last comment here. Gemini says, it's not the business model, but it effects the business model. Believe they need to understand that. You know, I was just thinking about that here right. Obviously, YouTube, we care about number of people to watch the show, right, but we need people on here right now doing comments. Right. You want people engaged in your stream live as it's happening to give that and you know, we're just sitting here and it's it's you know it's it's Max in the chat. You doesn't do as much for me when we have a group, So you know, it's all effects that it affects the energy. To me, the biggest thing we've talked about this it's a perception. I show my mother or my wife or my neighbor the game and there's forty seven hundred people that it affects perception more than anything. And at the end of the day, I will tell you my Saint Louis tweet and my Memphis tweets. A lot of CFL people I call that like, ooh you know, and you got to oh, man, I did this league's done? So you know it comes from all sides. Anything general thought. Sure, else, I'm going to pull up the arlington. We'll talk to the game here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think you covered it all. It's something we say we're not going to talk about, and we continue to talk about. But it's just you know what, again, we talk about these things because we are pulling for the success of this league and we just really want to see it kind of take off.
Speaker 1: Yes, So for the for the Orangine game here, so I was so, oh, I didn't I'll tell you my story at the end, I'll say, remind me of the end to tell you my story about how sick I got after our stream LOSK so I was I was going to say I was fortunate. I don't know if I was fortun I was. I was fortunate enough to this game on the plane undisturbed, flying back from my work trip from Orlando, so I got to see all of this. I don't even think there would be much to talk about in this game if it were for you know, kind of the end of game kind of scenario and all of that. You have general thoughts in the game before we kind of get to all that breakdown.
Speaker 2: The general thought is when Matt Carrall is good, he's great. When he is bad, it is hard to watch. And when look at that stat line nineteen for forty one. Now he did have two hundred and fifty five yards, you know, but it's just some of these passes. There was one I think he was trying to throw a corner route and he just threw it over the guy and skip Holtz there there are a lot of times when they have taken video, you know, taking shots of of skip Holtz and he's coaching them up or this week. It was there were tons of shots of him just being so frustrated. There was sound of him being frustrated. And here's another thing with this now that case Cookus is there, the signing that none of us could figure out. You know a lot of people were starting to say, maybe we need, you know, put let's put Kate case Cookus in there, because Matt Corrall struggling so much. But again he has such good games, and so there's that spark. But I think now Skip Holtz has an insurance policy with with case Cookis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you like that? Do you like him moving in there? There was you know a little bit of juice?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean I still think you you you you stick with Matt Corrall, I mean until you don't. Well, you know, that's kind of what we saw with with Memphis a little bit. And well, I mean and frankly we saw it with Houston in that game. Let's let's also remember don't take anything away again from this Birmingham defense, because I mean they held on some you know, almost goal line plays against Arlington. Now Arlington's defense, i mean offense was you know, sputtering a little bit obviously only scored nine points. But man, I mean Birmingham's defense, if they had not stepped up the way they did, this is a different story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have here Puzol fan Sternberger fumble was pretty wild. Yeah, I said that must have been too busy with all that tweeting about you know, Mark Nelson and articles and all that. Oh darn Jase, like but you know, have anyone criticized But it was a good play.
Speaker 2: It But but the thing is, uh, I think the defense held on that play. So yeah, I mean that was why. I mean that was a touchdown. I mean he dropped six points, but they were able to hold Arlington to a field goal I think on that possession. So yeah, that was. Yeah, that's pretty wild. And you got to burn in on old Jase.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was gonna say too, And because Canala had a fumble too, right at some point, I was kind of I was, I was pretty.
Speaker 2: Tired there was that when he got blown up. It might have been a fumble then.
Speaker 1: But I was gonna say, just a side note, I did just get that email from the Renegades. Hey, they had a sal Canela like spotlight article coming out. Dank Christ, It's not it's not a little press like no, I mean that like that's awesome. Like if I was, if I was a person for one of these teams, that's great. I every week, then you do salad this week, and then you do someone on defense next week and use something like it's that's free or two times a week, do three times to do an offensive and defensive and the specialtyam like yeah, send them six questions. Do you like your bread toasted or untoted? Like I don't you know what I mean, Like it's not people like that stuff. I think that's great. I have a question here where David yet to Where's David's question? Is it time to move later? I would like to see them score points again.
Speaker 2: Uh, you're gonna You're gonna bench the King of Spring. I mean, what was it? What was what were his stat lines? I mean, what was his what were in stats?
Speaker 1: Like it? Here?
Speaker 2: Because I said, I mean I still think his numbers are okay. I mean I don't think they were they were terrible? Were they? I mean? Yeah? I mean still had over two hundred yards passing twenty six or thirty eight is not bad. I mean you're right, no touchdowns, but no picks either. Yeah, I don't. I don't think he was the problem. And a foosball fan brings up a good point about how he thought Arlington played some good defense. I kind of questioned Arlington's defense because they had to hold off Houston and then you know, then they gave up the game time touchdown and that one point conversion there at the end of the game. I mean, it was kind of a crazy ending to the game. Uh yeah, it's their defense. You know, it seems like it's good until it's you know, crutch time.
Speaker 1: Well let's talk about that. So let's talk in the game here. And I was because I was watching you know, you know how watching like football on a plan is and like he right, So then so I watch it and I watched the replay and because I'm okay, I want to make sure I got everything. But you know, obviously, excuse me, Birmingham driving all that, and you know, the fall start and everything, and you know, Steve's not being able to decline they got it, right? Do we like that? I mean a lot of controversy. I thought that was kind of the main takeaway from the game.
Speaker 2: Well, it starts bringing out the conspiracy theory too, thought that you know, Kansas City was supposed to win the Super Bowl, and you know till that conspiracy theory theory fell through and they're they're all, they're in Saint Louis's corner. Well, that conspiracy theory died, so now all these conspiracy theorists are on Birmingham. When you get the call right the way that the UFL rules are set up, I thought that was fine. There were people saying, why didn't Bob Stoops decline the penalty? Well, you can't decline the dead ball penalty. Uh, that's that's what it is. And no, I think it's I think it's fine when you are when you can make those kinds of calls in crunch time of games. I think that's one thing that majorly separates the UFL from the NFL or any other pro league and the Super Challenge, which I expect any time for the NFL to to steal that one because they should.
Speaker 1: You had a lot of officiating this week and I felt like, we excuse me with you with with Mike and all that, and the Dean was the lover. I mean, there was just a lot of uh you know, controversy that way. But yeah, I always say Birmingham is what is it the Birmingham in the league's poker? However you want to say that, I don't know. I mean it's frustrating. I think Arlington, you know, made it to write to the red zone three times previously, you had plenty of opportunities to put that away. Do you view that Arlington giving the way away or giving the game or Birmingham? You know?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I credit that to Birmingham's defense. I just thought they looked good the entire game, So, I mean, can both things be true? Yes? To me, I just thought that was just some really strong Birmingham defense throughout the game. I was really impressed with them. They've been good all year. They were good last year.
Speaker 1: I'm looking here, you know, so Arlington here second in the XFL, obviously undefeated defenders that way, David asked, I mean, Louis and all that, do we ride for just a bad week? Birmingham's defense is stout? How do you kind of adjust to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's too much knee jerks. Everyone wanted to bench Kellen Mond. Now, did they lose? Yes, Here's the thing. I'm going to get killed for this, but I have I have kell I have San Antonio in our power rankings, I put San Antonio third. Now do I They're zero to three. I understand I'm gonna get killed for this, but Kellen Mond was a different quarterback. I mean it was a close game obviously in Michigan had to come back. Your guy, you know, destroying, got destroyed there and missed the game time field. So but I'm just saying there's too much knee jerk that. You know, people wanted to sit Alex Magoo after week one when he was getting absolutely killed. We kept saying every week Kellen Mond needs to jail a little bit. He's got a new offensive coordinator. With the offensive coordinator comes in now Peyton Pardee and says, hey, you know this guy could run a lot in college. Maybe we should let him do a lot more of that. Certainly worked out, he was much more, you know, he used his feet a lot more. Again, I think that this team is gonna Gael And you know, I kept saying that Memphis was the best OH and two team. Now I think San Antonio might be the best owen three team.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because yesterday was the best week, you know, day of games, right, So you're you know, three and a half weeks into the season where you're seeing that. And my question was, you know, this player strife and potential lock it, you know, walk out and kind of all that stuff. You know, how much of that in training camp and the quarterback's not doing that? You know, how much should all this effect we're now you know, we're three weeks into the season, right, they had you know, two three week training you know, now you're kind of at the point where we're getting to that, we're getting things going. I just think where that that first week or two of the spring football is always such a cluster, like uh, getting everyone together? Does that make sense? Like I felt, we're kind of all these teams are kind of hitting stride.
Speaker 2: Now well, and it's so compressed already anyway. You don't have two to three months of you know, of pre you don't have two to three months of training camp, you don't have preseason games. You're launched straight into it, and if you go oh and three like San Antonio, you're fighting for your life before mid season to get to the postseason. But I think you're right. I think we are starting to see maybe some of the effects those first couple of weeks of that, you know, sitting out of the of the quarterback camp. But I think this third week, I think you're exactly right. You're on track there. We are starting to see what happens when these teams start to practice. Now and now they're starting to play together, They're starting to figure out these offenses because everything is just so compressed when you compare it to a lot of other leagues, especially the NFL.
Speaker 1: UH A couple I have a question for you, and then someone said, we got comments here, we'll do it as king Williams not to ever react. A week one, do you think Parde might be the coach of the future in San Antonio? They look fired up. Yes, we didn't talk about it. A J. Smith and everything, a lot of we just didn't have a chance to talk about it because that was Wednesday, Thursday. I was working and I was in Orlando. You know you hear rumors, right, he got pushed out. They didn't want to use his offense. We see did that step back to the championship game last year where they looks so anemic. I saw Brandon Silver's tweeting out in support of A. J. Smith. Obviously he was close to them in their time? What did you I guess, what do you make of the AJ Smith stepping down? And then? Yeah, I mean, I guess we'll talk about this. We weren't going to go to this game yet, but they goes, what did you make of this? I'm coming ahead here, John.
Speaker 2: That's quite all right. Yeah, I've seen two different reports now from San Antonio that AJ Smith left because he was at odds on what offense he wanted to run and what offense that maybe Wade Phillips or the organization wanted to run. But I'm telling you they lost, Yes, but didn't that offense look a lot better with Peyton Party. I mean, again, like I said last week, A J. Smith didn't forget how to coach. I don't think that's the question. But you have to, as Brandon Silver says, that you had, you know, you've got to You've got to let an offensive coordinator decide what personnel and what kind of scheme he wants to run. Otherwise, why do you have an offensive coordinator? You just need a you know, a play caller like Ken wizen Hunt. I mean not that they don't have an offensive coordinator, but he you know, he's the play caller. There's a lot of that that happened. So I don't know that A J. Smith is going to work in a system like that where that was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just like said, they're dude and foosball fan. They're fighting in the chat. That's funny. I hear it as well. I just I'm tired. I'm going on macation here. But here we go, DeMarcus John, You're absolutely wrong. If they challenge you is fine. But the place on now we're back. This is what I have was all kind of talking about the renegads on this I jumping you around, keeping you on your toes. Uh, we're going back to that. So the false start ID and going all the way through your playing changing the game. That was where I wanted to in the conversation, and then we'll move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I could see why people are upset by that. Uh. And you're right, you know, if if if there's a false start, that play, that play should stop. I mean it stops on every level of a false start. But yeah, it did go through and then they went back and looked at it. But I just that's the UFL. I don't I you know, I don't think I'm wrong on that. I mean, that's what you that's what the UFL does. That was the rule.
Speaker 1: It annoys me and for anyone that doesn't watch hockey, it feels very similar to like offsides challenge in hockey, where they might be in the offensive zone for two or three minutes and score and then they go, well on the entry it was, you know, and they'll go back, you know, and and sometimes those teams will know, right, they'll know and you see, I mean shooting football, you see that, Oh he's got a free play or he knows or oh, well get you know Aaron Rodger, remember he was the.
Speaker 3: King, Like, oh Aaron, he's so crafty, he always knows, he's got to like But you get that hockey and they'll go back and that team maybe new a minute and a half ago, Hey this is off side, you know, and then obviously you're gonna play, but then.
Speaker 1: Change out all around anything else with that. You want to move on to Memphis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the goaltending call in college basketball. Now they can go back and look at or you know, at or review a three later.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, I did have a show. Where was it don't. I don't think I had a tweet pulled out, but I was like, yeah, Birmingham is the matric city because they make the fans disappear. All right, So John went to Memphis. You were there, John took photos for us. We have I still have not heard back about it that stuff in terms of being able to use haven't had time this week by that.
Speaker 2: I will not charge you three hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: John, Please don't. Yeah, John Shott spirol John Shott's photos at John Shott's lots of things. Yeah, video of Curtis Johnson. But you were there. You were there for the Roughnecks. When I tweeted out Chris Johnson as coach more winning football games than you or I have, and likely anyone reading this tweet for the most well, not knowing my Twitter feed, there's actually a lot of like smart football people. Maybe not my maybe not, but there you go. I mean, it was, what did you make about I'll pull up the game stats, but Curtis Johnson pulled it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think Ken w Hunt set Ken wesen Hunt said after the game, you learn, you learn from these things. He disagreed with the assessment that it felt like the defenses were ahead of the offenses, you know, in in the UFL in general. I don't know. I mean, he knows a lot more football than I do, but it does feel that way anyway. But I think both I think both teams might have found their quarterbacks. You know, It's what I when Pat Raffino put on Analyze and Educate, he did his you know, top quarterbacks of the season or of the week, and you know, talking about e J. Perry, it's kind of like Matt Carrall. When e J. Perry is good. You know, that is a very good quarterback. But he absolutely had a meltdown at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the game.
Speaker 2: One was a pick six and you know generally that was I mean, you can look at it and that was kind of the turning point. It might have been the winner there for Houston and then Memphis going for two for for the win rather than going for the tie. It just it was an interesting game. First half was not great. You know, we talked about that. I I ask you, like, does this look better on TV than it does here from field level? A second second, second half was good. I mean, but when Nolan Henderson came in there for Houston. I mean, it was it was a different game.
Speaker 1: Do you and and this always happens, right when you're a bad team and you get slept on and I've had this and you know, her team's play up or I mean, Seattle teams are the prototypical We play up and then we played down to the to you know, our competition that way. But excuse are the roughnecks kind of compiling something here building something? Or is this uh this is this show box just asleep with the.
Speaker 2: Show boats? Gave this one away. It's what happened, you know. Troy Williams came in there, looked a lot better, you know, put them on some drives. You know, again e J. Perry start, I rewatched the first you know, I'm gluten for punishment. I rewatched the first half this morning. But yeah, it was like, you know, e J. Perry continued to kind of have you know these drives he's putting together, got in the rhythm and but then you know I saw it in person in the second half, it just it was just kind of a disaster. No, no, I mean in my power rankings, I couldn't put Houston last. I mean, I couldn't do it. I had to put Memphis last. But still, uh, you know, I don't know, maybe it sparked something I could be wrong to me. Memphis lost this game more than Houston won it.
Speaker 1: So now you know, firmly bottom of the USFL conference here, Yeah, Birmingham and obviously they're at the top. They're they're your worst team, whether I think Greg Parks is, they'll be working on their you know, our power rankings this week for all football. That just but that's where you got them.
Speaker 2: I mean I do reluctantly. I mean I think if you play that game three times, I think Memphis wins twice, and I think Houston got them on the one day that they were going to win.
Speaker 1: David has a question for you as EH Perry the best worst quarterback, the worst best quarterback in the UFL.
Speaker 2: That's all that is an entire podcast in to itself, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have a question from football fan here that could be an entire podcast. We'll get to at the end.
Speaker 2: I can imagine. Yeah, I mean again, it's like E. J. Perry versus Matt Corral It's like the highlight reel throws and runs and then and then it's like and then if you put together a reel of all they're bad, of all the bad plays, you know, these guys can't play on any level. It's just it's just so different.
Speaker 1: Did anything we'll get moved to the to the Sunday game show that might give us a little bit more, but finishing with the Memphis takeaways from the game or take away you know, getting to be on the media side there taking photos, sideline, any other stories, any other observations.
Speaker 2: Memphis does it right. I got to park right up beside the stadium. I did not have to pay for parking. You know, press pass was easy to pick up. Walks straight in. Uh no, I mean they it's it as far as the whole game day operation goes. I mean, this is you know, it might be kind of inside baseball here inside football, but as far as the game day operations go, it is a great set up there. And you go right in there's a media room set up where they actually do the interviews and you know, the postgame stuff. It was great. And you know Andy Seely, who's the PR guy. We've mentioned his name several times. Class act just is so helpful and you know, just friendly and appreciates the work that we do. So yeah, No, it was just it was it was really cool to be there again. I As I said, I worked in in Louisville television for twenty years and University of Louisville used to go to the Liberty Bowl every year in football, but I never got to attend to I never went. I was always the guy sitting in the studio saying, here's so and so from you know, from the Liberty Bowl. So I wanted to go there because I mean, we never know, as we've seen these leagues pop up and die, and it's like when I'm I ever going to get a chance to go to Memphis again or or have an opportunity to go watch a game there that's in a league that I enjoy. So that was why I went, And it was it was really fun and it was a class act and everybody was just you know, very helpful.
Speaker 1: Did was there a large number? Was there a large was there? A large number of other media folks there from Memphis.
Speaker 2: No w R e G seems to do a lot uh Channel three there in Memphis, and they seem to do a lot with the Panthers, And I just saw abduels.
Speaker 1: I just saw we'll pull it up, we'll pull it up, which is true.
Speaker 2: Uh, But no, I think and I don't know that they I don't even know if they shot the game. Really. I think they were in there for post game. I think uh. Uh me and this we were like the That was pretty much all. There were only a few cameras there on the sidelines. Uh. And there was a there was a group there from Arkansas State. Uh, some college students there that they were shooting. I saw that they were given the Memphis players high fives after they ran in touchdowns. So it was it was it was quite the experience.
Speaker 1: I would be curious. And I know that the UFL, you know they they have the highlights for us, Yeah, on that media portal. I'd be curious, you know, if they shot that. I'm curious how much they shot that there. If they're calling at the Memphis TV stations every week, like, hey we got five minutes and game highlights and you know, two postgame interviews if you want to use some, I would just be curious. Like it's one thing to have them there, it's another thing to shot that. Yes, we did see them deals coming, not shocking. The childis can park anywhere with the Abdul. You do not know the interactions we have had in Arlington. You would think that that would be you can't even get free parking in in Arlington. So I did would think.
Speaker 2: That I did get free parking. And when I got there, I was I walked out. I got there way early because I wanted to get there and get some video outside. And I saw there's some tailigators over here. And then I saw this just this giant, just stretch of tents and all these people out there, and I was like, what now, what a scene? This is like people are really showing up. But come come to find out, there was another community event that was happening on that side that had nothing to do with the UFL, but it was interesting. There were some Houston Roughnecks fans there. Uh, and I was shocked and in fact, like the video I sense some video back. I had some great video of CJ walking off the field. He's blowing kisses to the I don't know twenty Houston Roughnecks fans over there. Was it was pretty funny.
Speaker 1: I know, I was shedding. There was anyway for me to pull that out here.
Speaker 2: Well and Here's what King Williams here brings up a good point about you know, if local news isn't covering, how are you know people supposed to know? I told you read I think you know. I was down there and kind of flipping around watching local television. I I no, not to say it didn't happen, but I never saw one mention of the Memphis Showboats game happening. And when they were talking about different events that were happening and the weather forecast, I never saw one. I never saw one mention of the Memphis Showboats.
Speaker 1: Let's see if I don't break this hole and John Dunnan there you go, don't don't don't give me a strike here, you have to see that enjoy And I got he goes, I got John Lewis Wayne for me, I got, I got time to do. But it was good. I'm glad you got to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun. I'm glad I got to too. And you know, I've I've been to you know, Birmingham a few times, Saint Louis a few times. I got to go to Canton, which was really cool. I mean, that was one of my favorite trips ever. And then you know, and then going to Memphis. It is fun to go to these things. I do wish that there was a little bit more you know, fans set up. I mean they had a great tailgating area.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The theme was Memphis Wrestling, which you would have enjoyed. During the timeouts they slammed the guy through a table on the concourse. They were having actual wrestling matches matches before the game with some of the Memphis area wrestlers. It was it was quite the same. And I ate a foot long corn dog, So I mean, what day.
Speaker 1: You know it was when I took Dorothy to the Arlington Renegades game. It was memor of the weekend last year we went. I I agree with you when you're there. They do a fantastic job for the fans. It's getting the fans in. I think the people that are doing the game day, including the hosts that are doing the crowd, all of that is that like in the wrestling and we get the emails and you know, the roughnecks are doing whatever, and this is doing you know, they're they're trying these theme things. I think it's great. It's just getting people to the game. We Dorithy, I had a great time we walked out around Chalkdaw they had stuff to go check out in the merch store and they had you know, I think that was the day we didn't stay. I think that was the Dave Marquete King like saying after the game.
Speaker 2: Or we didn't stay for the concert.
Speaker 1: But you know, they have things there. It's just getting people to the games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was another great they which they did not have in Saint Louis last year, was they had no merchandise out in the tailgating area or outside the stadium. Uh And in Saint Louis, So by the time that we were you know, my wife and I were there and we were like walking around outside and by the time we were going in, we're ready to go, you know, grab some drinks and some food and go to our seats. And then they had all that in there. Now there wasn't on the concourse there in Memphis, they had a they had a pretty nice setup and you know that was opened the whole time, so you had like plenty of time to go in there because there wasn't a whole lot to do outside. So that's always a good thing because I mean, and they had some like like some good under armor merchandise, had a lot of stuff there. It was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're ramping up like that's we have a question here about it. This is a failure in IP. But well we'll get to that. We'll we get to that. Uh So here we go. This is the big destroying game San Antonio and uh Michigan Panthers. Here out for field. Let me get that pulled up here this you know, the desjoint and made the big field goal. Was all excited and then they right then he missed one, but then he was the one to tie the game, and then they were like he was doing all the whatever. I'll talk about it in a minute, but let's get your general thoughts in the game in the world.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing, I was surprised to see that Danny Etling take to take the starting quarterback snaps. I was like, I mean, Bryce Perkins has completely like to me, he was and this line is going to be misleading because Danny Etling got absolutely blown up.
Speaker 1: I was a little bit got murdered on TV.
Speaker 2: I was behind because I had just gotten back from Memphis and so I was about thirty minutes behind. And that's when you texted me, it's like Danny Etling just got murdered on television. So I was like waiting for that to happen. But I was just surprised that he started, really because I don't know. Again, Mike Nolan knows a lot more football than I'll ever know, but it just seemed to me, I don't know if he's trying to go two quarterbacks here, but Bryce Perkins continues to impress and he he comes into the game, and I mean, look what he did. So and then the San Antonio defense started to really get after him, you know, pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then it's felt like he was starting to heat up in the second quarter, in the third quarter, and I know the fourth quarter was what you were really focused on.
Speaker 1: Here, well, football fans, Yeah, Danny ally wish is he didn't start the game because he did not finish well. But that was my thing and just and not to again like I have my one Donald thing here. I'll talk about this, but like like everything about the Bronx, it's not even really about like Wade Phillips there, it's like it's all the destroying show and it's when you when you pin everything around him and you know he right, he made the first kick and then missed the second kick and then missed the third, like you know, and they're oh he like he says he's good from sixty. Oh yeah, I did it, And like, okay, we're doing the press game and they were doing this, Like I just I tweeted out, I said, I wish the UFL would promote their football league as much as they promote destroying because that is all I know, Like, let's talk about the new offensive. I mean, I know you don't want to talk about like people stepping down, but let's like type that up. But I just it just kills me that, like that's technically like my team, and I like, you know, I I liked aj Smith and everyone, and I was more involved in them last year and you know before kind of all these people moved down. But like it kills me that that's all we have to kind of hang our hats on here in San Antonio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Wade Phillips, you know that he wasn't even on the sideline. They said he was in the locker room for the game because he was under the weather. Uh yeah, I understand. Maybe if you are continuing to try to bring in. You know, you're trying to bring in viewers, You're trying to bring in younger viewers. This has not worked. It has not worked with destroying. I'm sure he puts a lot of stuff on YouTube. I'm sure he probably put the highlights on there. He probably didn't put that kick on there. But it's not working. And I don't know we've talked to about this before. How you know, it's kind of like with the Luis Perez or the beer snake. It's like these are the things that they keep saying that we see all the time. The casual viewer might not see all the time. But I don't know that the whole destroying thing is working. I mean that for the first kick he made looked really good. That looked like it might have been good from sixty, but after that kind of went downhill.
Speaker 1: Well, and I had that Isaac Punts. I'll play the video here in the saying because I made my little funny montage of he's trying to miss O'donald missing. But like one of the quote truths I had, he was that Isaac Punts. And he has a YouTube like he's in special teams and he does YouTube. He goes. My problem with Destroying is that like the misses are so he misses so much, like it's not like, oh, justin Tucker and then okay, it just like it's it's that that one wasn't even close. And that to me is obviously when he feels like he's you know, he doesn't have the range or whatever, and then he's exerted.
Speaker 2: And that was that was something that we kind of we saw with Chris Blewett that was surprising. Yeah, uh, well, of course he's got it. Did you know that he has millions of followers on Instagram and YouTube? But yeah, we just it was not it was not a good day for for kickers. Uh in in in Memphis, although Houston did win the game and uh destroying Donald did not.
Speaker 1: Well, here we go so and I so this killed me. So I'm sitting here watching the game and I had someone call me or I would have been on it even quicker because I'm like, sit because I'm texting. I think we were texting back and forth. Oh man, if Donald misses this kick.
Speaker 2: To go there overtime, Mike, you said he's going to miss this, isn't he?
Speaker 1: Uh So I made this I think this is going to play the second I the second I played, so so we'll play this, and I said, I always wanted to do this, and it's setting something to the Titanic theme songs. I was, I've always wanted to do this. So this is Donald's kick set to the Titanic theme song. I'm for good. I'm pretty proud of my soul. John.
Speaker 2: It was good kick a man while he's down.
Speaker 1: Man. But like, but also, that's the dynamic, Like I don't even care like people like, well, you're still like, that's the dynamic. You're a professional athlete. I'm not like that. And who was it? It was Matthew. Oh my god, I'll pull it here talking to that because I want to pull up some on the really quart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, when you when you continue to build someone up like this like they do in these broadcasts, these things are going to happen. And when they do, you can't say, oh, well that's too bad or I mean, that's it's what's gonna happen. You're right, they're professional athletes, but I mean that's pretty hardcore.
Speaker 1: Duel says, destroying this five to seven, that's not terrible. Felt like that was when he missed he was rushing. Well, yeah, no, because he was She's in the camera, she's here. But that's what it was. It was Matthew and Matthew Sexton, who is a friend of mine, is on the team. He's plays for the prom especial teams. He goes, Man, I thought you were a cool dude. Why are you hating so much because you're playing the games. I have to watch them bend over backwards to talk about Donald every eighteen seconds on my TV. So he gets it, and Matthew Sexton gets it. He goes, Okay, whatever, and then we said, yeah, I like that. But I mean that was my takeaway of that game. Obviously we saw that the Brahma get a bounce back with aj Smith and all that. How do we feel going in the next week, and then we'll move on to the Defenders game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got to I can't remember who they're playing here. Uh, but yes, no, I think this is again they're the best OHEN three team. I mean, I've said that again about Memphis.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But there was improvement. You're seeing improvement week over week. I go back to Kellen mand and this added dimension of him running the ball a little bit more because he is an active player. I mean he is, he is, he has a he gives you a much more. He gives you more of an offense when he starts to run, and he can really do that. He did it in college and we saw that a lot more. And they put in some places for that, you know, designed runs RPOs. Yeah, I I I will say, I think this is a team that that does have a shot to get to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So let's move in here. Oh god, they just they make this so hard to pull up.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Oh they played. They play the defenders, that's what they play.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there, that could be tough, all right, So here we go. Okay, well we'll do the games overthing, all right. So we got here. Yeah, defenders at battle Hawks. This was the big battle hockey and it's this big illustrious home field advantage for the battle Hawks. You can never win at home, right, defenders here at three and the exciting game. A lot of turnovers, right, and we had a Jordan Talamu with a couple of interceptions and Wilkins with a bunch of interceptions. Thoughts on this one, I have some funny comments effort.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it was a you saw. I think it was a twelve nothing DC start there, Like they started to really get after after the BattleHawks. Uh, you know many started to use his legs. I mean that is like one of I mean that is strong when he that, But there's just you know, Frank Darby had hay out a great catch in that for the touchdown. But it just felt like again the DC defense taking nothing away. I mean DC defense was strong there, especially in the second half. Jacob Sailors continues to be a workhorse for the battle Hawks. He is so fun to watch. But that that Wilkins interception that I was thinking, it's about a minute and a half to go. I mean, you just can't. You can't make that play. You can't try to make that play where you're thrown across your body and try. I mean, he would have been better off to try to throw it away. I just it was he just had a bad game. And you know there it had happened before when he was filling in for aj mccaeron he actually won a game. I think it was him that won a game when Aj mccern was hurt either last year or year before. But then there were other times that he played and he's like, that was kind of the Manny Wilkins that we saw and that might have been why he wasn't, you know, getting as much playing time. But let's you know this, this is a snap shot of the week. He was playing a very good defense, and Manny Wilkins, I think, is is the answer. I don't you know, I thought they were going to try a two quarterback system. He noticed that Anthony Beck did not put in Max Duggan in there like for you know, any lenth the time, if at all. So that's that's not the answer either. So that was kind of my takeaway. I mean, the biggest takeaway was when the announcement was going to be, Oh, they got this big announcement coming up at halftime, maybe this is when we're gonna find out who are the expansion teams, because we all love expansion talk, and it was, oh, Saint Louis is gonna host the championship again, all right, So I mean it just it felt like kind of air let him out of balloon.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, let me comment on that, because I do have comments about the game. We might go five minutes over guys, just I'll try to keep it here close because I know it's even later for John here as normally, so I appreciate it. Yeah. So obviously they had the announcement of the Oh, they had the announcements coming to halftime. Everyone knew it was the championship I and people like, oh, do you think they're yeah, the expansion. I go, it's the halftime thing. What bothered me more even than that was the like I saw the clip I must have been in the post afterward with Danny Garcia talking and like, well, you know, like Saint Louis and they're so great, you know, kind of all this stuff. You guys like, if it weren't for Saint Louis, you guys would be so sol right now, Like it's not even funny. Was kind of my was kind of my takeaway of it, was like I would thank God every day right now that the battle Hawks in twenty twenty and what was that Kurt herb Street and or what was it? No, it wasn't. What the hell was the guy's name that ran the team? What was the guy? You know, the team president for the battle Hawks. Everyone knows this. Someone plays a Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They moved on to the baseball. They played for the baseball anyway, Right, But I go, I would thank God every day that like all of this was done for you. You are the you were the example of waking up on third and thinking you hit it, like there could not be more blatant, been like, well, you know, and all this hard work we've done here, Like what hard work you haven't? You were? The attendancyer is down every year since you've taken over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it's almost like you're you're having it there by Yes, yeah, had Kurt Street in my head too, but you're I mean, the Saint Louis is built in it That Saint Louis right now is built for spring football, much like d C was when the NFL team in d C was bad. Uh, Saint Louis is again as a as A really good quote that I saw in a recent ESPN article that was for me was that, you know this, it was kind of the middle finger to Stan Kronkey who took the Rams out. So I think that's to me, it's it's like a perfect recipe for success. You have fans who are hardcore football fans who want foot and they got somebody to rail against to can go show them, Yes, this is this is what we want. So yeah, I'm not sure it's the UFL or the XFL that had built this up. I think it's Saint Louis that's built this up.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, just flashions for comments, David, no doubt read if the league exists in five years, say loose would be the reason. Even though no Battlehawk's game the Dome without dry You know what, exactly one seeded at downs and dems is less than twenty nine people will pay attention. All right, let's do a couple of game comments and then that we have a couple of general comments, we'll get out. Uh so hear about this, David, just talking how about like William's fortune over three sacks? But here was my question, So Dynamite Gaming DC simply dominated the line of scrimmage rushes too much. I saw some chirping on Twitter with DC defenders coaches like hey, like Reggie Barlow was commenting and stuff like hey, I thought we were all gonna fall apart with Greg Williams and all this stuff, and like, uh, I can't remember what he said. I think I have a bookmark. We have it. Reggie was like, ooh, tea or what I was I go, okay, but hey, look at this DC gutted and Greg Williams. That was this week also right with AJS, Like my week was was wiped and that was also this week with Greg Williams leaving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this week it's happening. It's happening faster than Yeah, this was this was Blake was This was his Yeah, Blake Williams first uh, first game as the defensive coordinator. Yeah, and it held Saint Louis, a very good Saint Louis team to what one hundred and sixty something yards of offense, So yeah, no taking. And he also sounds exactly like his dad when he's playing, when he's calling plays. It was incredible.
Speaker 1: And then here's my last coming here. David Manny was was many exposed. This is the first time Battle Hawks had to play from behind and he was forced to through. Also, this ton of I felt like a lot of pressure, a lot of running in Tiamu too. It felt like, I mean, obviously the Lions and everything in this league and trying to get up to speed, but you know, a lot of scrambling obviously pays dividends in these leagues with you know, the the lack of offensive line. But what did you think of it? David's comment there.
Speaker 2: No, I think he's right. And if you saw many at the when he's sitting on the bench, he looked like Rocky at the end of the I mean he was like bloody on one side. I mean that last one of the last hits, his helmet came off, and so they were really pressuring him. But you're right as far as being exposed, this is the kind of thing that we saw when he was under pressure. He was just making some really bad passes. Now, I mean a lot of quarterbacks can look good, you know, behind an offensive line that that's solid and and they can run and they have a running game, and that is what the BattleHawks have. But I don't think they faced the defense like like they saw in DC before. I don't think that at all.
Speaker 1: I do it here if DC continues to be a successful at Channon Harris wanted to stay as a head coach, I don't believe. So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the pay for a head coach in the UFL be more than a QB. I mean maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's not even a money thing. It's like us want to be right, Well, it's a resume thing. Do I want to be bumping shoulders and kind of in this for the next six months or there. That's kind of how I would look out. Like sometimes I might take a lesser paining I'm freelance. I might take a lesser paying gig and I'm just making up Hawaii then like making more money to go to Boise, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Hey, boys, he's pretty cool, but it's not Hawaii. You're right, h Yeah, I don't know that. I think that's a good question. I think Shannon Harris is really doing a good job so far. I mean, you know, and that Reggie Barlow was right. I thought they'd fall apart, and then you know, there was so much turmoil. I think that's been one of the good things that we have seen, uh is there's fire. There's some stability now after three weeks. I mean it was like before the season started, you had Reggie Barlow leaving, you had Ken wizen Hunt you know, out for we didn't know how long it was. Luckily it was only a week. Then you know, you have aj Smith stepping down, you had you know, whatever was going on with wayde Phillips. Uh, like one week he was up in the booth, and then there was you know, then last week he was in the locker room, so you know, hopeful all is well with him. But now it feels like there's a little bit of stability. You know, those things can change, you know, on a dime, but you know, so so far, I think that's been the one positive thing that we're starting to see better games, coaching stability, players stability. We haven't heard a peep or I haven't anyway about any kind of labor issues. So I mean those are all good positive things.
Speaker 1: The quest we have a question here. The one thing for me about the coaches leaving and I because that was yeah, it was yeah when Greg Williams left, And I because I think you had sent me the article and I just tweeted out, like things go from bad to worse for the UFL. Yeah, Everyone's like again, I thought that was like a that was a pretty safe like wow, another coordinators leaving, Like that's not a good thing, right, You're an idiot. No one's like, am I go to me, it's not even that like Greg Williams is leaving or like does anyone care that Greg is? It's like the way I view it and this is this isn't the mean, it's reality. Is I care? And this isn't just the Greg Williams any of these coaches leaving. It's the pay and whatever. At this I'm not really concerned, Like I can burn this bridge to go to another bridge because I don't view myself going back here and that's just not a good place to be at from the league standpoint. Like that's my my fear, right, like you know, yeah, like because like Nathan asked on Twitter, and I hate to like throw my other body is like do you think anyone's like going to DC games? Because I go, well no, But like you, when these people keep leaving and not caring, it just speaks to like, well, clearly they're not leaving a lot if they're happy to just like walk out the door. I know people have other work and like Greg wanted to go work at Tennessee and they the scouting time, but like whatever and all these comments, but like it just doesn't look good. It's not a good look. It doesn't continue to look good when, especially in the same day, when two people midweek leave, two coordinators of eight teams, like there's sixteen coordinators or whatever. I think a couple of them. But you know, like it's just right, can we admit that, Like that's like not the best look.
Speaker 2: No, it's not only my and Mike and Leon both bring up good points. Anthony Beck was looking you know, he was pretty open about West Virginia. There was also reports and as Leon pointed out, there were reports about him looking at the at a Jets coordinator job. So I mean, yeah, it's not a good look. If this is you understand it. I mean we all understand that. But as a league, when you start to see these kind of headlines, those are the thing gets in headlines because it was funny when Greg Williams left. I saw a headline from it. I don't even remember where it was, but it was controversial NFL coach leaves job for It's like, oh my god. And then you know you click it, you see it's like, oh, it's Greg Williams who used to coach in the NFL, and that was controversial that he's going to go to Tennessee State and he was a coordinator for the UFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that to me, I'm just like, it's just not a good look. I get it, Like I get why people are doing I get what, but it's just and I would like the UFL or you know, like the CFL, like people aren't just leaving CFL jobs for the most part to like go hop on and do like you want to be at a point where the job that I'm at at least good enough for me to finish the like the job that I'm at and then move on like you should be above like replacement level job. Is that? Like is that a crazy statement?
Speaker 2: Job after replacement? Is that the stat you're looking at?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they appreciate. Yeah, here we go the further replacement. Yeah, we're gonna have the replacement pretty soon. We're gonna have Shane Falco calder Reeves like running around here and coaching real quick. This is super quick. Here, we'll get out of here. I'm on the pack just next week. Yeah. So we talked about this Michigan at home Saint Louis here a couple of midday games going up against WrestleMania their Saturday Sunday with the Roughnecks Stallions, and then the DC Defenders should be good. I mean, I kind of want to see if the Brahmas have some juice there. What's standing out to you for week four.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's good that they're playing those, you know, the Sunday games later, you know, being Easter Sunday. I understand you're not gonna have a noon kickoff. I think what is it five and eight? Is that what they're doing? Uh? Yeah, yeah, that I mean that makes sense and that's smart. I mean, you know, it's it's always tough, as you said, when you have spring football. A lot of different things happened in spring. It's gonna I'm interested to see what San Antonio does and is there a bounce back here for for Saint Louis. I think those are the two main things that I'm looking for this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll figure out and like I said, next week and maybe we'll do something, or maybe we'll come on and just shoot the breeze. Don't know, we'll see, but it might be like a loose episode next week if no one's if it's like Easter, it's kind of like no one did their homework because maybe people aren't watching either. Like maybe next week we're just kind of like, hey, now no one, none of us watch the games here, let's just kind of be asked.
Speaker 2: Let's let's deep dive into one game because I know I can watch that at least on the treadmill or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that. This is my last comment. They just made me laugh and then I'll tell my story. We'll get out of here. No, that wasn't that one where well, yeah, Lise Fan said, is this a failure or are we in the year four of spring football with talks have expanded? Fan. I think that's a very loaded, fair question. And I think either is is I think either is fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we Yeah, we get a little negative on here. That's true sometimes because we're fearful because history has been a history has been a teacher for us and a lot of things. But that is a very good point. We're in year four and there is talk of expansion. Uh, and I think it is serious talk. Uh.
Speaker 1: And then last year, yeah, Liam was hagging you then got the UFL with these copy of really yeah the I f a staff today, I'm like.
Speaker 2: That wasn't crazy, Like, I mean, it's not really a surprise, but like, and then the four teams were going to like split off and make their own thing, and.
Speaker 1: That's my thing. And then I see them tweet I we were talking in the group chat that the i f A is like the MLF football like in disguise.
Speaker 2: Like it is. I mean, but it's going to kick off next year and next year and next year.
Speaker 1: No. No last week for me. So John remember last week and I was like we yo. I was starting to feel sick kind of like midway through the show and I was like John, we got off the show. It was like John, I got to get out. I was sick from Monday. We got off the show at four and I immediately went in and threw up. I think I had food poisoning. I did not really eat solids till about Friday. Like I was very, very very sick. I I room serviced a bagel a to bagel to my hotel room about ten o'clock on Wednesday night to see if I could eat something. But I could not keep solids down Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday until about ten o'clock that show and I podcast through John, you know we no. I like that was I I literally like, was ht the point where that's how sick? I was like I can't. I came home. I came home and I go like I I I have suffered from like any disorders in my life, so I can talk about this like very very openly. But I was like, I'm kind of excited to weigh myself because I wanted to see, Like, because I had gotten to be such a fatty, I kind of wanted to see. I mean, I'm over it now. But no, I Leon, I think I lost like many pounds, So it was good. I'm ready for Vegas. I'm in pools shape.
Speaker 2: You are? You got guns? Are out? Ready to go?
Speaker 1: Any there? Anything else from you, John before we get out?
Speaker 2: No, I think you know. Again, on a positive note, you're right. I mean, I think this was the best week, and I think what we saw again the point you brought up, we're starting to see these teams play together, practice together, and they're much better. So that was I think. Hopefully that's this is a trend that will continue and hopefully we'll see some of these ratings and attendances start to move this way too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I didn't. I did. I did not have the VID. I I have been traveling for work sickly for a month, off and on for a month, and I have been sick some portion of that the entire time. In terms of a head colt or a stomach like a stomach bug or I think I had sinus whatever, and then food poisoning. So like I'm ready to just not be I would just like to be, like, you know, I can stay at home and be sick. But it's it's really bad. John getting on a plane and flying to Orlando.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine. Listen, players are supposed to be not healthy during the season, not people who just sit and talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but no, I'm very excited. I think this was a great week. We'll figure out next week all of that stuff. But no, like this is the best balance. A couple of decent games, some funny things to talk about. Donald missed a kick like that. That's all I need to you, you know what I mean. And like people are, oh, you're like, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay to be critical about stuff. All Right, We'll get out of here and we'll see you guys next time. Like and subscribe, give John's channel thumbs up, and all use is JLS Royal Retros. Did I do it?
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 1: All right, We'll see you guys.
Speaker 3: It