Speaker 1: The right quot.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the a app BA go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve sachs.
Speaker 1: Our three of SAX and the Kates and the Am here on AMPI seventy LA Sports on this Tuesday morning, October twenty second. Thanks for being with us, make your way to work. If you're already at your job and joining a little scam on a Tuesday morning to get you through the day taking the kids to school. We appreciate you taking us with you on your ride. Hey Tim, this Tuesday morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Steven, Well we'll let you know that, Okay, scam's out there. I mean, I'm getting like text messages, I get phone calls from people, say hey, and they're not even around here, They're not even California. I was less you guys on ihearted. Yeah, I love your show. I love Scam Scam scam.
Speaker 1: It's getting popular. It's very popular. I love running to people that love listening to it. It's Dodger fans's way to just to kind of keep talking Dodgers baseball through October when there's so much else happening the football seasons underway. College football is certainly going on, but Dodger fans want to talk Dodgers baseball. Dodger fans want to hear what's going on. They want to relive some of the great moments, as we're doing with the game one flashback this morning from the nineteen eighty one World Series, the last time these two teams meet. We'll do games two and three tomorrow. Jerry Royce will join us, coming up in about twenty minutes. So yeah, it's I'm just thinking.
Speaker 3: You know, no game, okay, would the show be vibrant, would it be fun? Would there be interesting things that we need? Two more hours? Yeah, I mean I mean, it's there's lots of stuff to talk about.
Speaker 1: There is a whole bunch to get into, and the Yankees are working out today. We'll get more out of that.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We're gonna hear from Max Mounsey, Freddie Freeman hopefully an update on his ankle, and Dave Roberts later on today. They are expected to talk to the media, so we'll have that for you tomorrow. Game one is Friday night, first pitch at five oh eight. If you're asking Steven Sacks for tickets, don't bother. Nope, don't bother. Don't even just delete the text, don't even fire off the email. Just act like you aren't even gonna do it, and you'll be better off. Maybe, just maybe, if you're gonna text Saxy, just say hey, Hope, you're well. Good to hear your voice on the air in Los Angeles again here in October, and we'll just just leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And please, I mean, don't go way out there and say, uh, you know any show Hay Jersey, I really, you know what, I haven't even met show Heo Tani before. Really, No, haven't met him.
Speaker 1: We got anything? You know what, Stephen? You need to come down to La for this World series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, let's yeah, I would, I would do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, we got to get you thrown out the first pitch at a game. I mean, I gotta talked to Steve Brenner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or or Carry Osborne, one of the two.
Speaker 1: Let's get this done. Let's get you out there. Let's get you.
Speaker 3: And I together, you know. I mean I need to I need to spruce up my my uh my, what do you call it? My social media a little bit. My daughter does it for me.
Speaker 1: But nonetheless, yeah, I mean he's only played in Anaheim for six years, so you did have six years in Anaheim.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you what's gonna happen is he's he's gonna bust out, like if he wins the MVP Award, and he's gonna have his interpreter up there, and he's just gonna stand in front of the interpreter and just talk just like we are, I mean, with perfect clarity, with no accent, and it's like he's been hiding it the whole time. He's gonna bust out with a long, long Dia tribe, you know, making the transition from Anaheim up to Los Angeles and different leagues, and now it's culminated in all the contract and now he's won the MVP of the Series or whatever something like that. But how about if he did that in his his language was just perfect. I think he was dropping word smithy words, you know, like whatever, you know.
Speaker 1: That would be pretty awesome if he did that.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't that be cool?
Speaker 1: It would be just jaw dropping for everybody in the room.
Speaker 3: You're like, what, Well, Actually, a lot of MLB network I would like to say that the pitching staff he or this league is completely antithetical to what we have over in the American League. And the reason why is because they challenge you more.
Speaker 1: They started doing that, people would flip out. Be great, it would be awesome. I'm looking at the back cover of the New York Post today, the sports section, and they're talking about the Knick starting their season. They got a post NBA preview, but also their headline is on one side of Totani and Bets. On the other side it's Judge and so, and the headline says Star Wars Yankees Dodgers World Series filled with big contracts and bigger names.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's true.
Speaker 1: When I saw Star Wars. I thought it was good versus evil, like you know the well.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a there's a little you know inclination. Okay, think yeah, I think I think so yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's it's it's right there in front of you and it hits you right in the face. Yeah, these are huge stars. Alana Rizzo said it perfectly. Outside of Mike Trout, you got every star in baseball that people know playing in this series on the biggest stage.
Speaker 3: You know. The crazy thing is if you if you asked Hollywood to write a script and you know, a big baseball story and it comes to the end of the season, and then you put the players and all this, they wouldn't even buy it. They'd say, hey, it's it's phony. It's not real, right, you know, that's that's not gonna fly. Nobody'd buy that. Here we are.
Speaker 1: Here, we are the two biggest franchises in baseball, two biggest payrolls, near the top of baseball, with the biggest stars on full display globally. Beginning on Friday night, we mentioned the Yankees going through a workout. Let's check in with the Yankees manager Aaron Boone. Southern California product, went the USC. Now he's managing the bad guys over there at the evil Empire known as the New York Yankees. Here's his thoughts going into Game one.
Speaker 4: The closeness that these guys have with one another, and that trite playing for one another is palpable with this group, has been all year, has been since day one. These guys love each other, and these guys love doing it for one another. And I always feel like the best team situation you can get into is when you can genuinely say, at the end of the year or at any point in the year, that I want it for the guy next to me more than myself. And that exists with this team, I think, and that's powerful. We haven't finalized that I can tell you Garrett'll pitch Game one, but you know, we're just starting to kind of formul later our plans and things like that, so we'll see. I think there's a good chance of it. He's scheduled to throw another live tomorrow, so if everything goes well there, I would say there's a decent chance that he could be on the roster. Yes, you know, we've seen that so many times. You know, this one happened to be to send us to the World Series. But I feel like there's been so many at bats like that this year, like big spot, game on the line, got a pitch to him, and it's like, man, he just puts. He throws one of those Jan Soto epic at bats on you, and not surprising in that moment that he did it again. He's just obviously an amazing hitter. I've loved every second of him being here, and hopefully here he's here a long time. I think it's a great matchup, and I think the series we had this summer with them felt like just competitive, heavy, tough games. The seven seven years now that I've been here, there's always been that occasional talk about Yankees Dodgers, So I think it's great. I'm looking forward to all of it. The stars will be out, the eyeballs will be watching, and hopefully we can deliver on a great series.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's Aaron Boone, Yankees manager, on the team chemistry. He has announced Garrett Cole as his starter, will Nester Cortes pitch in this World Series. He has been injured, and of course on Juan Soto, his superstar right fielder a lot of brought up a great point earlier. Wan Soa could walk at the end of this year. He's a free agent. I mean, if he does what he does in the World Series, he's gonna make himself very valuable to a franchise out there. And we mentioned it yesterday. There's not a lot of teams that can afford to Wan Sodo.
Speaker 3: Absolutely right, and you know he's not going to be more valuable to any team more than the Yankees. The way the fit is there. I mean you can compare him with the you know, the Dodgers are really the standard bearer when you talk about the top of the class when you talk about you know, Bets and Otani against Judge and Soto with remarkable supporting casts on both sides of the Ledger. But it's not complete unless Soto is there to accompany Judge. And I think that's the way it's going to be framed, probably by his agents. And you know, the guy's doing it in New York on the biggest stage. The ballpark's perfect, the support that he gets in the lineup is perfect, and the fans would just be drooling to get him there. I don't think he's going to be the same player or is valuable to any other team except the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes absolute sense. It's the perfect landing spot for him long term and after the season he's had in the postseason so far. Hopefully it gets minimized here in the World Series his production, but certainly would fit in nicely there in the gym.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they let him walk, if they if the Yankee organization lets him walk, they might burn Cashman's house down. I mean, I'm telling you right, yes, I mean the fans there will will rebel big time. Yeah, they can, they can, They can afford him and big time, and uh, you know, this is a this is a perfect place to spend it.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Vince and Breas next up here with Saxon Kates in the AM on this Tuesday morning. Vance, Welcome to the show. How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing good, Timothy doing good.
Speaker 6: Stephen. I'm glad we're on a first name basis. So there's a couple of things I want to ask, you know, I want your guys personal opinion. I'm first gonna share a quick little story about Tommy and Lesorda, you know, growing up in the Fullerton area. Braya Lahaber area. You know, he he.
Speaker 5: Visited my son's baseball team when he was on T ball and he played cats with my son. And you know, I'm sitting down there watching Tommy. I was the only parent doing so because I'm a die hard Dodger and it was unbelievable. So I'm you know, I don't have a lot of money, but you bet your booty and I'm going to try my best to take my son to one of these first two games. But what's your guys' opinion? Hypothetically if it's a game seven and you know, like say it's a zero zero ballgames, do you think, by any chance, if Otani goes up to Roberts and be like, you know what I want to pitch? Do you think we'll possibly see that? Like you know, you know, no, I cause I don't think so. But I'm hearing it around and it's not worth it in my opinion. But what do you think that conversation would be? Like if Otani and Roberts had that discussion.
Speaker 3: Just like we just had, it'd be that short. I mean, there is we could talk about other things, but to be labor that point, the answer is going to be Nope. That's it not exact question.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the phone call. I'm going to completely disagree with you, Steven Sacks. Really, I think that the door is not completely shut on Show. Hey Otani pitching in a world serious game, and it's not because they've alluded to it. It's not because they've left that door open. Dave Roberts has come out, Mark Pryor's been talked about it, Show Hay has been asked about it, and the consensus has been, yeah, he's not going to pitch in October for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: But but are you talking about another October or you're talking about this one this October? No chance.
Speaker 1: He's throwing bullpen sessions. I know he's throwing long toss, he's throwing hard. He's mixing up his pitches in the bulb. It's not like baby steps first step coming back from arm injury. He is down the road in his rehabit.
Speaker 3: Someone says he's in the moment to they say show heye, you're in there. Okay, he goes in, he blows his arm out. Okay, now what, Oh my gosh. They would rip the city down and Dave Roberts would be gone. Yeah, seriously, No, you can't take that chance. Man, Let him they got enough. I think they got enough. Let get through this, win the World Series, let him rehab the whole winter, let him come back way strong next year. Now you've got a team that's just ripping to go. Oh yeah, but you know you're gonna get all those other guys back too. But you can't, like take that chance. Is it worth it? I mean, what would what would make you get him out there? What would it be? Mabe? There's two outs in the ninth and you get one hitter, Yeah, and you gotta get Soto out or you gotta get you know, you know, I mean, is that what you do? I don't. Yeah, if he blows it out.
Speaker 1: To me, it's if there's an opportunity to get him out there, if it's in a clenching situation, if it's in a situation where they could use him. I mean, if Showy Otani goes to Dave Roberts in the dugout and Mark Pryor tells the front office I want to pitch, Are they gonna say no? I mean, he gets what he wants. Yeah, it's up to him.
Speaker 3: Let's say he goes up there and he stinks up, the joint, doesn't blow his arm out, but he doesn't get anybody out. Oh now what.
Speaker 1: We'll show He wanted to pitch guys, He follows pitch, where's your MANAGERI and balls?
Speaker 5: Dave?
Speaker 3: Come on, you know you might hear that too, So I don't know. I just think it's way too risky, way too risky. I get the I mean it's like you got to throw in Rojas to, you know, to get somebody out because there's absolutely nobody left. They're not gonna make They're not gonna plan things out, so they got nobody. I mean, they're gonna have somebody left down there. It's not gonna like, like I said, Miguel Rojas isn't gonna go there and clean it up. They got to have somebody down there and it won't be show. Hey, I don't believe I'm what's tempting though, because it is just okay, what about this, let's really daydream now. Just think if it's you know, you're down to the last bit here and you don't even have a left hander down there that's even worthy, and you're thinking, okay, Judge is coming up, and and there's two guys on and judges coming up, and do you bring them in and it's the last out in the ninth inningto Game seven, Yes, do you bring him in? Yes? WHOA, I don't know, man, Can you imagine that what if something look at something like that happened, people would probably cash in their their their season tickets because they say it was it was rigged and it was phony, because nobody would buy that sucker.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously they're not gonna pitch him, and he's not gonna want to pitch. If there's a chance he can reaggravate it. It's not ready. Of course, that will never happen. But if he feels like he's healthy enough, and it's just a matter of we're waiting till next season to give it the full start from spring training, there's a little bit of hope there. There's a little bit of maybe if they can get him out there, he can pitch.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is a doctor decision. Now, they'll put it in the doctor's hands because because there's too much on the line, there's too much adrenaline going. We're in the moment, the pressure, Yes, he had the pressure, and they'll put it in the doctor's hands. And I guarantee you there is no doctor on this planet that's gonna say, Yeah, he hasn't pitched all year, but we'll throw me here in this situation where he's gonna try twenty times as hard it seems, and he's gonna try to throw two hundred miles an hour, and then they're gonna think, Man, if he blows this thing out, I just lost my license to be a doctor and all that. I just don't take his I don't think it's gonna happen. It's too risky, bro risky.
Speaker 1: I get it. I get I think this is something we get into more at the listeners tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We can ask him put out we should put out a poll right now and have it ready for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll do that and we'll get to the phone calls tomorrow about this. I think it's an intriguing topic.
Speaker 3: It's a great it's a great conversation piece. So yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: If Otani's available, you know you're he's not taking up a roster spot as far as a pitcher. He's already positioned player. So that's me.
Speaker 3: I've heard the same thing, Tim, I've heard people saying. I've heard o'tani he's gonna possibly make an appearance. Yeah, I'm like, no, he's not.
Speaker 1: I mean, Harold Reynolds from MLB Network basically said it during September. He expects him to pitch really based on what he thinks. Yeah, okay, Yeah, he's bullpen session, mixing up his pitches. It's not like he just ripped off a cast and it's like, all right, I'm ready to go. I just got this bad boy off. Let's try it. How he's been throwing like that, It's been a few months. Okay, he's throwing off flat ground, he's throwing off of mound. He's he's at that point where I'm I don't know. We'll get into it.
Speaker 3: We'll get it.
Speaker 1: We'll put a poll question up. We'll get to the phone calls tomorrow. Jerry Royce is going to join his next game one, starter of the nineteen eighty one World Series. Yes, the last time the Dodgers and Yankee squared off. It's Saxon Kates in the am right here in hanfi seventy LA Sports. It's Saxon Kate's in the am here on a five to seventy LA Sports. You're a home of Shohyotani and the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are going back to the World Series. Game one against the New York Yankees coming up on Friday night while I Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Decade. It all started at four pm. First pitch coming up at five to oh eight is the twelfth head to head meeting between the Yankees and the Dodgers, a last met back in nineteen eighty one, the Dodgers winning that series and joining this now saxy one of your teammates back then, he was the Game one starter, as we heard in our Game one flashback back in our first hour of the show. Twenty one years in the major leagues. He played for the Dodgers. He played for eight different teams, A two time All Star, he pitched a no hitter back in nineteen eighty a World Series chap with these Dodgers in nineteen eighty one. He is Jerry Royce and he joins us now here on FI seventy LA Sports. Jerry, good morning, how you doing.
Speaker 7: Everything's good early in the morning, but I'm up and Adam had my two cups of coffee and ready to talk to you.
Speaker 1: And Steven, good morning, Jerry, love it, love it when you hear Yankees Dodgers, And this is the first meeting since well nineteen eighty one. What are some of the thoughts that go through you?
Speaker 7: Well? For me, growing up in the Midwest and becoming interested in baseball at about six or seven years old, I remember watching the fifty five and fifty six World Series on TV. Remember back then they had afternoon games, and I'd walked from school when it was out and go down to the local television store they actually had one in our small town, stand outside and watched the ballgame on what was then a big screen TV. And for men, that just started my love for the game of baseball.
Speaker 3: Jerry, I good to be with you. First of all, it's been a little while. Looking forward to seeing you again, hopefully at the camp coming up in January. I hope you're going to be there. But listen, I wanted to ask you a little bit about the differences between when you pitched and the complications the way they have now. I mean, playing behind you and I know the No hitter that you pitched against the Giants. I remember some of your games you throw six, maybe seven curveballs in the whole game, and your thing was let that fastball work within the zone, and it worked like a snake on a griddle. That thing moves so much you were able to go by with lots of times not throwing many offweed pitches.
Speaker 1: How did you do that?
Speaker 3: Number one? And what's the difference today with how complicated they make the pitching.
Speaker 7: Steve, That's an excellent question, and it's a little more complicated than the way you put it, but I'll simplify it. The best way possible can one is to have command of your fastball. That's what I taught as a coach. That's what I was taught during the whole course of my major league career by as many as fifteen or twenty pitching coaches. I was able to control it in the strike zone, and right around nineteen eighty I was able to develop the cut fastball that if I kept it right around the hitter's knees, it came in, as hitters would tell me, heavy and it has a late movement. Now, hitters always try to hit the ball and barrel it up and drive it somewhere, but they couldn't make the adjustment because of the late movement and due to the fact I had command of it in the strike zone. I could then go from the third base side of home plate to the first base side, change speeds on it, and in effect, one fastball was the equivalent to three or four different pitches. So it was the curveball that I used once in a while to get over the plate, to set up a hitter, to show them something just a little bit different, and to change his angle of his eyes as I was hoping to get him out with the basketball.
Speaker 1: Jerry, you got to start in Game one, Yankees won that game. You give up an early three run home run to Bob Watson. You come back in Game five and get the win. Over on on Gidry that Game one start, we played some of the highlights from that game. You guys were coming off the emotional win in Montreal. A couple days later, he was turning around in the Bronx playing Game one of that World Series. You had Joe Demajo throwing out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium. Do you remember the emotions of that Game one and what you were feeling like that on the mound for the Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 7: Yeah? Absolutely. And one of the things that this upcoming series reminds me of In fact, it's kind of dusted off some memories that were buried back in my mind. See, I don't think that much about what I did during my baseball career, and I think a lot of ballplayers will tell you the same thing, because it's a lot easier to look out your windshield than it is the rear view mirror when you're driving a car. It's the same thing. And remembering baseball, but going in the Yankee Stadium for the first time, we're walking on that turf and this was the same place where Ruth Gerrig and a number of future Hall of famers were going to play, and it got to me a little bit and it did affect me. But I don't make excuses about it, because they did get some pitches up. The Yankees were a formidable foe, and they took full advantage of everything with that hometown crowd and were able to get me out of the ballgame early in that game.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, Jerry, I wanted to ask you a little bit more about pitching because it fascinates me. This was always the nemesis in our lives of trying to beat down these pitchers. First of all, the fact that everybody throws a hundred today, and you know, I'm just maybe using a little hyperbole there, But for the most part, the guys seemed to throw around that level or the big you know, the big hosses on the team. I think they threw pretty much the same speed when we played, maybe over a little bit more now. But the differences between how they measure the ball coming out of the hand you know now and coming over the plate when you pitched, So what are the differences between the two measuring sticks?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 7: That's that's good. I'm surprised that you came up with that, because not many people are aware of that. No, it's an excellent question and a great point. A lot of times velocity was measured as the ball came across the plate and coming out of the pitcher's hand, it's totally different because it's a few miles an hour faster.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: I think guys more today muscle up and try to get the velocity and sacrifice a little bit of command on the other side. But I trained differently back in those days. And remember this is a long time in baseball history, and the starting pitcher you were trained and you had it in your mind that you're out there for nine innings, and anything less than that it wasn't as spectacular as what you plan to do and what you try to do. So you may sacrifice a little in velocity, some speed in order to locate your pitches just a little bit better, and went through the batting orders three and four times, so you had to plan just a little bit different. If you get somebody out early in the ballgame, for instance, a power hitter, and you him early in the game, second or third, anying nobody on base, you're not going to throw him the outpitch that you need to use later in the game with perhaps somebody on base and the game on the line. So it's a planning experience as well as executing experience later in the ballgame. And that's the mindset that I tried to go out there with. It didn't always succeed, but when it did, it made perfect sense to me.
Speaker 1: Jerry Royce is our guest here on ANFI seventy LA Sports, former Dodger World Series Champion nineteen eighty one, Game one starter, Game five starter against the New York Yankees. Both managers have talked about team chemistry this year, Dave Roberts has alluded to his group and buying in Aaron Boon. Yet it made a comment yesterday about this group. This chemistry on the Yankees is like nothing he's seen since he's been the manager in taking over in twenty eighteen, that nineteen eighty one team, the chemistry he had a group of young players like a Steven Sacks who comes up and is helping out this Dodgers team, and a group of veterans who hadn't been able to beat the Yankees in prior World Series and finally do what was that chemistry like coming in a year before joining this team and ultimately getting over that hurdle of beating the Yankees.
Speaker 7: Well, you can divide that eighty one team into some subgroups. You're right on what you say, some veterans and some young players. But remember the core of the team, the infield, plus Steve Dieger and maybe one or two others as they said here, all came up through the organization. Many played in the seventy four, seventy seven, and seventy eight World Series and were unsuccessful. Then there was a group that was traded for that included Rick Monday, Reggie Smith in order to help the Dodgers get over the hump. They got over the hump, but they lost to the Yankees in seventy seven and seventy eight. And then some young players coming up through the organization as young players should, and that include Stephen and Tom Neidenfure and Mike Sooship. It could, but it was also the addition and this is the fourth group of guys that were traded for from other organizations to help form that twenty five man roster, and that included me. So it took some wily trades. It took some young players coming through the organization plus some veteran guys and all come together in a situation. It was a strike season, and there was an additional round of playoffs that we had to win. And we were down two games to none in a five game series against Houston, came back to beat him, were one game from elimination against Montreal in Montreal, and we're able to win thanks to Rick Monday's home run off Steve Rodgers. And then we fell to the Yankees the first two games in the World Series, only to come back and win three one run games at Dodger Stadium. Went back to New York. It was a totally different kind of situation for a World Series that saw better than fifty thousand people at Old Yankee Stadium. This time the crowd numbers were down, as it seemed as if the people of New York, the fans, the Yankees, were expecting to feed, and we were more than happy to oblige them, winning that sixth game and bringing a World championship home to Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, Jerry, I got to ask you this question. Well maybe I should say it like my New York friends in New York do.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you.
Speaker 3: Okay, look, Jerry, I got to find out the difference, and you can tell us, because you're a great specimen if you will to tell us this. Today people pitch one hundred innings, by that's it los of times, it's five and fly ten times. In your career, you pitched over two hundred innings. You pitched three thousand, six hundred and sixty nine and two thirds innings in your career. In nineteen seventy three, Tim get this, he pitched two hundred and seventy nine and a third innings. So two hundred innings for Jerry Royce was nothing. And remember, Jerry is a big dude. He's six ' five, all of that, and he's a strong guy. I remember, you know, people were saying, if it wasn't for that four years of high school, it would have kept Jerry out of the big league, so he would have had twenty six years in the big leagues. But Jerry, I gotta ask. I got to ask you, Jerry, what is the difference. Please educate us on how they pitch one hundred and twenty innings maybe, and they say, what a full season. Here you are in seventy three, two hundred and seventy nine innings and ten times over two hundred innings and many times way over two hundred innings.
Speaker 7: Well, I thank you for that big time pat on the back. But the guy she came before me, those guys sometimes went three hundred innings. Guys like Carlton and Gibson and sever Ferguson Jenkins. Those were the guys who set the tone for starting pitchers. They were out there every fourth or fifth day. Now, if you go back even a little bit further to the generation before that, these four starters, this is with the Dodgers, you would start a game rest today and then throw batting practice and then come back two days later and try to get your nine innings in. Now, it was definitely going to shorten a career, but it was just the way it was done back in the forties and early fifties. By the time I got to the big leagues, teams had five starters and you were still expected to go nine innings. If you lasted seven, and you had a pretty good relief core in place, you had a chance of doing some things during the course of the season. But the game has evolved over the time that both you and I have played, and their stints are shorter and they throw harder. They have a number of different pitches in their amimal belt that they can use during the ballgame. And that's just the way it's done today. Is it better, is it worse? I don't know. It's just the way that it's done.
Speaker 1: Well, Jerre, we appreciate you coming on this morning. Nineteen eighty one was a great year for the Dodgers beating the Yankees, and here we are forty three years later, it's the Dodgers and Yankees again in the Fall Classic. Are you anxious to see this one? Get started? On Friday night.
Speaker 7: At the start of this program, was dusted off some memories that I usually don't delve into. Just a little point. A little fact I'll leave you with is that the day of the game is October twenty fifth. Now, that's forty three years to the day that the Dodgers and the Yankees' last hookup and postseason in Los Angeles. I was the one who threw the last pitch in that ballgame.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, here we are here forty three years we are years later. Wow, Jerry, we appreciate the time. Great to hear your voice and uh yeah, Dodger fans certainly looking for the same result that you guys enjoyed in nineteen eighty one. Thanks for coming on with us this morning.
Speaker 7: Thanks Jerry, Tim, Tim, Thanks, thank you Steven. Always good to talk to you. Hope we see each other sooner rather than later.
Speaker 3: All right, okay, but thank you. There he goes the great Jerry Royce. Great teammate, Tim, Yeah, great teammate. Oh he was the best.
Speaker 1: He treated you well, young Steven Sacks in the clubhouse.
Speaker 3: So he was so great to me, he really was.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Jerry for joining us. Coming up, we'll wrap things up and we're gonna get into this heavy tomorrow the show. Hey O Taani, should he be available to pitch if needed? Something to think about, Dodger fans, Dodgers Yankees, The biggest stage in baseball is the Fall Classic. The two biggest teams with the richest history in Major League Baseball will square off Friday night, Game one of the World Series. Dodgers Yankees will have it for you. First pitch at five eight. Coming up again, We'll tell you how you can win Game one and Game two World Series. Tickets from your home of the Dodgers AM five to seventy LA Sports brought to you apart by our friends at Chef Marito. The spice is in you this postseason. The seasoning partner of the Dodgers and Anti seventy LA Sports Sax and Kates in the Am right here on an FFI seventy LA Sports. Sax and Kate's in the Am here on NFI seventy LA Sports Live in Local until the top of the hour before we hand things off to the Herd with Colin Cowherd, Rogan and Rodney Noon to three today Petro some Money. From three until seven is the NBA season tips off later on tonight. Clippers will be an action tomorrow night right here on a five to seventy LA Sports Tonight, the Lakers are an actioner in their season opener, Sax and Kate and they brought to you bar By Sheparrito season the seasoning party of the Dodgers. It's playoff time. The World Series is here. Bring out the chef in you with chef Marito all right, Saxe. A couple of loose ends here tonight we mentioned the Lakers tip off their regular season. Potentially we could see Lebron James and his son Bronnie James play in this same game, and it's a big deal to have a father and son play in a professional game together. Only the other time we've seen this in our lifetime and probably ever, is Ken Griffy Senior and Ken Griffy Junior, who Junior said him and his dad are going to be at the Lakers home opener tonight at Crypto dot Com Arena, just to have that opportunity to see it like they were able to play in a game together back in the day. Did you cross as at all with the Griffy Senior or junior in your playing time.
Speaker 3: I don't you know what, I think it was a little bit after me that that that happened.
Speaker 1: Ninety ninety one. They were teammates in Seattle, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: That was right in the middle. Yeah, and I was on the Yankees then too, So yeah, I don't really recall it that much though, but I know they hit a home run in the same game. I think, right, yeah, that that happened. That happened. But it's amazing thing. Have your dad and your son playing in the same game. I mean, that is like I can't even fathom that, you know, that's just unreal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is pretty so Lebron and his son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a This is a huge deal.
Speaker 1: Uh, it is gonna be a big deal tonight. No doubt. You got the The A's another story I wanted to get to you real quick. The A's opening up or the A's are gonna play in that parking Sacramento where you call games there Saxony for the Triple A team.
Speaker 3: It's in West Sacramento, the city I grew up in, believe it or not, really in West Sacramento. I grew up on a farm southwest of Sacramento, and that is now where this built up part of that place is going to be played maybe three miles four miles from my house, no way, Yeah, right in West Sacramentos, same city.
Speaker 1: And you called games for them up there as well.
Speaker 3: I do. I call games for the Triple A team for the Giants. I do the Saturday home TV games.
Speaker 1: Very nice. And now the A's are moving there temporarily for a few seasons while their new ballpark in Las Vegas is being built. And the big story right now is Major League Baseball, which is basically funding a lot of the renovations to the stadium there, including clubhouses, new batters, eye and concessions. They're going to go with natural grass instead of artificial turf.
Speaker 3: That is the switch recently, because it was artificial turf in the beginning. But go ahead, and they made the decision because players were concerned with the heat in Sacramento. Yes, and the record breaking heat that was in Sacramento this summer. Apparently there was a twenty day stretch which the temperature never fell below one hundred degrees yet average up to one hundred and three, got up to eighteen.
Speaker 1: They don't want to have the artificial turf there because it's going to be so hot for the players during the summer months. Instead, they are gonna pivot and they're gonna put natural, natural grass in there. And one of the concerns about having natural grass initially was two teams, the Triple A teams still playing there and the Oakland A's are gonna be playing there are the A's and it get a lot of wear and tear on natural grass. Well this is a good move, right, It's well, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're gonna have a heck of a time keeping it nice. But that plane surface during the season here, even though it's hot, but it's gonna have half the beat down on it because every single day there's gonna be a game on that field. When the A's are out of town, the river Cats are gonna be playing and vice versa. But that that infield and that grass is like a pool table. It is beautiful. It is really a great and you know, even when I travel on back East and people ask about, you know, the Sacramento franchise and Triple A, it's it's like the standard bearer, if you will. Everybody wants to be like that. It's it's a great run place. They sell it out all the time, and you can imagine when the A's come here, it's gonna be there. It's already sold out like every.
Speaker 1: Game are they are they excited to have them?
Speaker 3: Forget it.
Speaker 1: With the A's coming though, there you also get who's playing the A's. They get to come in there, so you're gonna see Dodgers, Yeah Yankees. I mean this this town is like, you know, it was great when we got the Kings, but Sacramento is a baseball and boxing town. A lot of good boxers come from baseball and boxing. That's what Sacramento is known for. And of course when the Kings came here, we embraced them in basketball. But this is a baseball, notoriously baseball and boxing town. Now the Triple A affiliate, it's the affiliate of the Giants, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, the Triple A of the Giants, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're seeing a lot of the guys who who have been moved up to the Giants, and.
Speaker 3: Most of them, yeah, I called the games here. When I went to a Giants game, brought some friends, you know, about a month ago, two months ago, and most of them were all the Rivercats players that I was calling here. So a lot of them got called up to the Giants. That is very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited to see what it's gonna look like having a smaller stadium. And also keep in mind we're gonna get into this and maybe tomorrow the Tampa Bay Rays may not have a field to play in the Tropic Canda Field because the roof blew off during the last last hurricane.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: They're talking about playing maybe in Orlando, maybe going to Disney World where the Braves had their spring training. I mean they got well.
Speaker 3: They would probably like it because there's one way in and one way out of that ballpark and it's not you know what I mean, But you know what if you talk about blowing the roof off something. Can I make a quick note real quick before we go. I just got a text from a very very big time player that is gonna come on with this Wednesday or Thursday.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: I'm texting him the calling number for one of those days. Also, some look forward to can't wait for that Saxy great show. We'll do it again tomorrow, buddy, see you then, by all right, Thanks to Katie, thanks to Michelle, thanks to all you beat a bar of the show tomorrow. We'll hear from Freddie Freeman, Maximuncie, and of course we'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts. And we're gonna get more into show Aotani should he pitch in this world series. If need be the bullpen, we'll get into it. Thanks for joining us this morning. The Herd with Colin Cowherd is next.