Speaker 1: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six fortyfi.
Speaker 2: AM Forting live streaming and may be everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Dean Sharp, the House Whisperer with you here live every Saturday morning and Sunday morning every weekend. Follow us on social media. We only do the good kind, uplifting, informative, inspiring social media. We're on Instagram and TikTok and Facebook and x and all of the things you all the same. Handle Home with Dean that's where you'll find us. And of course, this very program that you are listening to right now is also the House Whisperer podcast that you can listen to anytime. About an hour after we go off the air, every live broadcast suddenly takes on podcast form and can be found on the iHeartRadio app, of course, but also wherever you listen to your favorite podcast, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever, wherever Joe's podcast service. All you do is you look for Dean Sharp or The House Whisper or Home with Dean. It doesn't matter. Just enter in any of those search words. You'll find us. There hundreds of episodes, all searchable by topic. It is truly a home improvement reference library that you can listen to anytime, anywhere on demand. Finally, if your home is in need of a more personal house Whisperer attention. If you've said to yourself, you know, we really need Dean and Tina standing here looking at this trying to figure this out with us, you can do that. You can book an in home design consult with us at house Whisperer dot Design and there you go. All right, we're I'm just sharing some news with you on some various topics this morning, anything that I can get to. But also I promise to take calls if we've got calls on the board. And look at that, we got calls on the board. Hey, we've got a call from Bill who said he actually lives near Wayfarer's chapel. I'm sorry, just because I was talking about that, I got to take Bill first. Bill, welcome home, Hidine. How are you sir, I'm well, thank you, How are you good? Good? I got a note here that you live just a few hundred yards from the chapel and that you were happy to talk about landslides in the area.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, yeah, In fact, we're about one hundred yards from where Wayfarer's Chapel stood and our house was completely was built in nineteen forty nine, originally designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and then the design that is there now done by Lloyd Wright. And they wanted that site because they wanted to be able to look at the Wayfarers Chapel, another Lloyd Wright design. Once that is completed, got you?
Speaker 2: Got you? And what has it been like to live in a Lloyd Wright house?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: It's spectacular the way it's designed, the kind of the great room. Uh, it makes it feel like it's just kind of hanging in the air because you look out towards Catalina Island. But the way he built it, it's all glass with glass corners and everything, and it rises above all the vegetation, so you just feel like you're suspended out there looking out at all the nature. So it's it's spectacular.
Speaker 2: And and uh just amazing. And what what what's your current status with everything that with with your home now?
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the thing, you know, it really goes on a home by home basis. Bat there we have neighbors whose home have been completely destroyed torn in half twenty five foot creass running through the middle of it. Multiple people that have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to rectify problems and then have to walk away, and right next to them will be somebody whose house is basically untouched, you know. And it goes back to what you were saying. You know, it's all about what it's been built on. And in that area, you know, there's uh, you know, depending upon where you build at greater or lesser depth, there is uh, you know, basically solid rock, and the ones that seem to be closer to that solid rock have less movement than the ones that were built in area that you know, maybe it was fill or you know, it had a lot of uh set you know, silt settlement, you know, in a canyon or something like that. So ours, thankfully was overbuilt for whatever reason. And our although we inch closer to beachfront property every day, ours has not sustained a lot of damage. But we've had our close neighbors have to leave because their houses are total.
Speaker 2: So so you haven't actually lost gas or power, so I mean, you're still in your place, even though so you guys have experienced some shifting, some some movement, but not enough.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, it's our property is kind of three tiered, so and it graduates up the hill. Our house is at the top of the property and was cut into the hillside, so it's a cut lot. So there hasn't been much movement there. But down on the bottom part of our property it's moved feet towards uh, the ocean.
Speaker 2: So that makes sense. The house itself is cut into the hillside into some solid area, so the house itself hasn't move, but but you've lost portions of your lower property.
Speaker 3: That's exactly correct. And like the numbers that you were giving, the seven inch a week and stuff like that, that's an average number, you know. So there were areas that were moving twelve inches a week, you know, and then areas that were moving you know, almost nothing. So, you know, great variants. But I truly think out of this is going to come at least I hope engineering that will allow, you know, structures to exist in places kind of like this, kind of like a surfboard on a wave in a way, because the you know, it's not the first time the land has moved back there, and so there has been some engineering done on some of the houses that is completely avant garde and yet completely affect and allows them to remain essentially untouched, you know, throughout all of this. So I'm I think that that will be the case. But no, we uh, we have lost gas, We've lost electricity. We've lost our electricity second of September, so we're essentially completely off the grid with solar and wow, you know, propane and pellet stoves and wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're camping next to the next to the.
Speaker 2: Water, wow, in a in an absolute amazing helm at the same time. And you know, by the way, Billy, I think you're right about that. I mean, there, I'm not sure that there's engineering that that can resolve any kind of crisis. But uh, you know, the the big thing, as I was saying before about Portuguese Bend, is that the condition was always there. It's just that nobody really knew about it. And so it's one thing to build in an area where you're fully conscious of all of the you know, surrounding conditions. It's another area to build a conventional house with a conventional foundation in an area that has unconventional ground movement and you just didn't know about it, and that's That's one of those significant problems, uh, in that area, is that so many of those homes were built just normal without really being conscious of what was going on deep underneath.
Speaker 3: Them, right, and and a lot of them people thought, you know, they had reports and stuff saying, well, the land movement has stopped, and you know that it turned out to, you know, just be a fallacy. And you know, so those people, you know, have have really suffered because they moved into an area where they were hoping to have their dream and through no fault of our own, but I do believe through fault of maybe geologic reports, city allowing building to exist where it shouldn't, you know, they've they've you know, had that dream the least compromised, if not you know, changed altogether. And it's really a shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Indeed. Well, Bill, I am glad that you guys, at least, despite the fact that you're completely off the grid in the middle of southern California. I'm glad that currently your place is is where it's at and not shifting, even though you've lost your property. And thank you so much for calling in and giving us an update on everything that's happening. Bill lives just a few hundred yards from Wayfarer's chapel site everything I was talking about this morning, Bill, thanks so much, buddy. I really appreciate the call, and thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Thank you. And if you and Tina ever want to come out and see unmolested did Frank Wood write junior house existing as it was built in nineteen forty nine?
Speaker 2: Come on, bye, hey, do me a favor. Honestly, I'm going to take you up on that. Do me a fake because we're down there all the time. Do me a favor and go to house Whisper dot Design and drop me a note and I'll reach out to you and and we'll do it. I would love to just do a report in general, love to see the house, love to do a report on what's going on in the area in general. So reach out and I'll reach back and we'll make it happen.
Speaker 3: Cool. Keep doing what you do. Love your show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bill, Thank you so much. Buddy. Well there you go right there. It's tragic. It's tragic anyway, all right, when we come back. More of your calls your home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Yay bye Dean sharp the house whisper at your service. This is my beautiful house, and that is my beautiful wife right there. So I don't know what you're talking about, talking heads. That was stupid, That really was. It's early. It's still early. It's the first day of February. I'm allowed. I'm allowed. Actually every week people count on it. Deane's going to say something stupid today. Let's just wait and see what it is. All right, h we're taking calls and I'm going to get back to the phones. I want to talk to Sherry. Hey, Sherry, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you good morning? I am well, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Great? Great? I'm having an issue with my bathroom LED lights and all of a sudden they started. They were on a gimmer switch. All of a sudden at nighttime, I turn them off and I get up in the middle of the night and there was a little light coming from them, but all them electrician. They replaced dow of the lights and guess what they started coming back. They're doing the same orn thing. So then he said it was a switch that I the himmer switch was incompatible with the LEDs, so he just replaced the switch to a normal just switch and guess what one of the lights is doing it? Again, I have no clue.
Speaker 2: Okay, so after replacing some of the lights, it still happened, and then after replacing the dimmer, now one of them is still doing it.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Hmm uh So what kind of well, I don't want to ask you stuff that you don't have a clue about, but okay, So what you're talking about is sometimes it's called after glow. Sometimes it's called ghosting led ghosting, and there are different there are a couple of different versions of it, just so everybody knows. It is not uncommon, especially for older LEDs or I should say older and or these days cheaper LED lights. They have a luminescent layer built into the bulb structure, and it's not uncommon at all after you flicked off and the switch for an LED to see it actually still glowing, but that that lasts a minute or two and then it just fades away. That's kind of like almost like a bioluminescent battery that was still stored in the light lens itself, and it has a little bit of glow, like a glow in the dark kind of one of those things, and it lasts for a little while and then it goes off. But you're talking about a different kind of ghosting or after glow, which is not something that fades away. You turn the light off and then you get up in the middle of the night and you can still see it on there. That and that almost always all I mean. There could be something wrong with the wire, but I really doubt it. I really doubt it. It's hardly ever a wiring issue. Ever. It is usually either a fixture itself or b the switch, especially a dimmer And so all I can tell you is that that unit that's still glowing might need to be changed out yet again. Or here you could try this instead of using a dimmer switch. You can just put a standard switch in there and see if after turning that off whether you get any after glow whatsoever. Okay, because that the thing is with this, people don't realize that a dimmer switch has a lot of dimmer switches, depending on how they are constructed. They have a low end and a high end. That's what allows them to dim and increase the light. And sometimes the low end literally LEDs are so sensitive too, They're so sensitive to current that the low end of a dimmer is just literally not low enough. In other words, it has dropped it down. But if there's still a trickle, just a tiny, tiny trickle of energy running through the dimmer switch in any way shape or form, an led may pick it up and show a tiny bit of a glow, not perceivable like during the daytime, but in the middle of the night, in pitch darkness, you can see that there is still this tiny little glow happening. It's nothing serious, by the way. It's not a concern like, oh, something's wrong and my house is going to burn down or anything like that. But you know, so, So here's the thing I would if you've already changed out the light fixtures once and there's still one that's doing it, I wonder, I would wonder actually if that one in the chain of lights that you have up on your ceiling is I wonder if it's the first one in line by way of wiring. You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking up on the ceiling because you don't know where the wire goes to first. But I wonder if it isn't the first one in line with the output from the switch, because that would typically be the case and whatever tiny little trickle of energy is still there, then it's picking it up and the others aren't getting it. So I would say, attempt to replace the dimmer yet again, go with a different brand. Definitely had an LED compatible, but if the lustron switch, go with a different brand of switch. If it's not a loutron, then try a loutron. Try a new dimmer switch in there and see if you can't get it to shut down completely in for a test. You could pop in just temporarily in a standard on off switch, no dimmer, okay, because an on off switch is a total power cut total, So you click it off and it's off. And if you find that you that you put an on off switch in just for one night, go back into the bathroom at night, look up and if there are if there's still a glowing light, then there's power trickling in there from somewhere else, and it is a wiring issue. But I would my guess is ninety nine percent sure if you put a standard switch in there, then all the powers been cut off and there will be nothing. You'll see darkness on your ceiling, just like you would expect. And what that tells you is to is that, for whatever reason, the dimmers that you've been using aren't dropping the voltage for those LEDs all the way to zero, and there's been a trickle of charge passing through, So try another dimmer because the right dimmer will shut it down.
Speaker 4: Well that's interesting because because the gimmer switch was replaced with a regular on off switch and that fixed one of the other problems. You know, one of the lights which was staying on. But now I think it's the first light that the guy replaced that's coming on. I mean it's staying on. It's not as bright as the other one with it says it could be.
Speaker 2: So so you so it was replaced with an on off and there's still a glow. Yes, yes, okay, So then then you've got to talk to your electrician about the fact that there is some phantom current getting into that system somehow, somehow that's not coming just from the switch. So it is something wiring that needs to be looked at, a wiring issue, because there is some because an on off switch cuts the power, and if that is detecting any kind of residual glow, then there is power into that circuit apart from the switch access and so have electrician look at it. Whether you're electrician or whether you want to talk to somebody else, I'm not sure, but have them take a serious look at where else power could be getting into that line, because it's on or it's off, the power is there or it's not. And if it's if there's still residual power. LEDs are super sensitive they might pick it up. And so there you go. That's the best I can tell you, Sherry, thank you so much for calling. I think you're on the right path there for the hunt though. All right, when we come back, more of your calls. Your Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six FORTYFI.
Speaker 2: AM six forty Your Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. We're having a morning. I'm taking calls. I'm giving you a little news and inside. So far I've only been able to talk about had time to talk about Wayfair's chapel out on the Palace Verties Peninsula. Hopefully I can slip in one more little tidbit of design news, not so much from SoCal, but we'll try and get there. But I also just want to honor our calls here, So let's talk to John. Hey John, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Hi Jean.
Speaker 5: I hope it's not too much background sound here for you.
Speaker 2: Now, we're good. We're good.
Speaker 5: I live in a townhome community on Justin Ranch golf Course and I have a fire sprinkler system in my twenty four hundred square foot home. And when I replaced a smoke detector, I found that I had to replace all of them. I guess they're all connected and communicating with each other, and it made me wonder. It made me wonder about the sprinkler system. What would take to cause for that to go off? Is it communicating also with the smoke detectors and with the fire department be notified?
Speaker 2: Okay, good question. Good question. I can answer two out of three of those questions for it. So number one, No, your smoke detector system is not connected to your sprinkler system. Okay. Your smoke detector system is communicating with itself. Smoke detection is just that and the alarms are inside your place to alert you to the presence of smoke. And very very rarely are smoke detectors connected to outside services because you know they go they'll go off for a number of reasons. The whole point of a smoke detector is hopefully to alert you to the presence of something starting to brew that you can deal with without calling the fire department. So smoke detectors never communicate directly to communic emergency services. Some fire sprinkler systems are set up to do that, and I couldn't tell you whether yours is or not. You should look at the branding plate or any information that you've got on your specific system at the manifold, call the company and say, hey, this situation am I hooked up to Actually does this go to emergency services? Or is this just happening inside my house? That part I couldn't tell you, but you can find out pretty easily. As far as smoke detecting and fire sprinklers go, I can explain that to you super simple. Smoke detectors have what's called an obscuration rating. So what does that mean. It means that there's a tiny light emitter and receiver inside a smoke detector and a space in between, and what it's waiting for. The receiver is sitting there reading one hundred percent of the light that's coming across this little gap and smoke gets up in the detector and it obscures that amount of light. Now, how sensitive are they. Well, different smoke detectors have different levels of sensitivity, but most, i am told, work under obscurations of just under one percent up to about thirteen percent. Now you can get different details from other people, and you know, this is sort of just like a science trivia fact. It's not like, oh, I see thirteen percent, Well that's very meaningful to me. Well it's not clearly, But the point is this smoke gets up in there and it obscures the vision. That's why. Sometimes it's not even smoke. It's not like these things are smelling for smoke. Sometimes a smoke detector gets set too close to a bathroom and you take a hot, steamy shower, open up the bathroom door, all that steam pours out, and suddenly the smoke detector goes off. It's steam, it's not smoke, but it's capable temporarily of obscuring that little light beam, and therefore it goes off. And they are very sensitive, and so that's their job. That's the smoke detector. And as far as your sprinklers go, a lot of people think that sprinklers. A lot of people don't want to get sprinklers in their house because they're scared that if they burn the fish on the skillet in the kitchen, that all of their fire sprinklers are going to go off and flood their house. Fire sprinklers don't work off of smoke at all. Zero fire sprinklers are only a temperature sensitive situation, So no fire sprinkler is going to fire because too much smoke built up in the house. A fire sprinkler fires off a little glass vial that with a liquid in it is plugging the whole of the fire sprinkler head individual heads, not the whole system. It's head for head for head. So if there's a fire in the living room, the sprinklers in the bedroom are not going to fire and flood the bedroom. It is looking for a temperature somewhere between one hundred and thirty five to one hundred and sixty five degrees fahrenheit. So up at the ceiling line where that fire sprinkler is once temperature and the theory is that this is temperature rays because there's actually a fire down below, not just smoke, a flame producing that kind of heat boom the vial, The liquid in the vial boils, it bursts the vial, and the sprinkler head is then free to douse the area where the fire is burning. That's how fire sprinklers work versus how smoke detectors work. Smoke detectors are warning only. Fire sprinklers are an active action against a flame and have no relationship to smoke. You can smoke all around, you can burn the toast right underneath a fire sprinkler. You're never going to set it off.
Speaker 5: Well, very interesting, very insightful. I really appreciate your time about that.
Speaker 2: Do you no problem do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you think those sprinklers would have helped any of the victims of the fires protect their.
Speaker 2: Home, no doubt, no doubt, no doubt, not all of them. So because well, I'll tell you this. I will tell you this in all candor. If a home has, you know, all the things being equal, if those homes in the Palisades had a combination of the ember resistant vents and fire sprinklers for the interior, then most of them would have survived. And I'll tell you why. Because the problem is either flames getting inside the house or embers getting inside the attic. Embers being stopped by getting in the attic. That's what ember resistant vents are all about. That's the first line of defense. Eight out of ten homes won't burn because of mber resist in vents, because eight out of ten homes burn not because the fire is there, but because the embers have blown in from nearby. So the fire resistant vents are number one. That's what keeps the flames from starting in the attic. But otherwise one the fire actually arrives at a house. Now, the flames are just outside the outside of most homes. You know, some homes are made out of wood siding and need to be protected and upgraded, but most homes, like a stucco home, a stucco home is a fire raided hoading on the outside of a home. So I've said this before. Heat will heat up a window and the glass will shatter if it's not fire rated glass. And now the flames have a chance to lick inside. But even at that flames licking inside a room, that's where the interior fire sprinklers would fire. They would feel that temperature heat, they would activate and they would keep the flames from coming inside the house. The inside of the house is the vulnerable spot. The outside of most homes not that vulnerable, Okay, not relatively speaking. I'm not saying that they don't burn, but they're not that vulnerable. Far far more vulnerable the inside. So if you've got a sprinkler system inside damping down anything that gets inside the house, your chances of that structure surviving are excuse me, frog in my throat, your chance of that structure surviving are significantly, significantly increased. Okay. You don't have to go through all these wild gizmos and creative a so called creative ideas about how to protect a home. You just have to follow the basics, execute the fundamentals, okay, Ember resistant vents, fire, sprinklers inside a home. Brilliant idea. And there you go, John, Thank you so much for your call, buddy, really really great questions. All right, more, when we return your home with Dean Sharp, the house whisper kaf I, Dean Sharp, the house whisper, Welcome home. Well, here we are at the end of another couple hours spent together, always a pleasure and a privilege. I really wanted to talk to you about another historic structure in some design News. I think maybe I'll start tomorrow's show off with this. I wanted to talk to you about Notre Dame, the cathedral in Paris and what it has undergone. I wanted to kind of set it up as a parallel to Wayfarers, but I also wanted to take calls and give you all the info about Wayfarer's chapel and what it meant to me and what it still means to me. So we will we will find the time to do that, and we will do it in the big show tomorrow, by the way, Tomorrow, in addition to that little bit of design insight in news, we're going to be talking about the Consumer Electronics Show, which, if you live in southern California, just Bruise, you know, just blue By, because our attention has been focused on wildfires. Tomorrow the best of CES for Homes. It happened just a couple of weeks ago, and I'll give you my full review on all the cool stuff that came out of CES. There. Big year, Big year for CES. You're not going to want to miss it. All the new smart home technology that's coming. Plus we'll start with talking about Notre Dame Cathedral and some thoughts on that, and of course your calls that all happens tomorrow. That's it for us today. Follow us on social media TikTok, Facebook, x at Home with Dean The house Whisper podcast is everywhere your favorite podcasts are found. And of course, if your home is in need of some personal attention by the house Whisper, you can book an in home design consult with us at house Whisper dot Design. We're right back here tomorrow nine to noon. Until then, get out there and get busy building yourself a beautiful life. This has been Home with Dean Sharp the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI AM six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app