Speaker 1: Hey Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget Discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Hey, do you ever wake up kiss the person sleeping beside you and feel so glad that you're alive? I just did that and apparently I can never fly Delta again. So hey, it's Security this week. I'm Carl Franklin, Dwaine Laflatt, and Patrick Hines. Hey guys, Hey, how you doing. We have a smattering of stories this week, starting with our friends in Iran that try to say that firmly planted in cheek, Iranian affiliated cyber actors exploit PLCs. Those are programmable logic controllers across US critical infrastructure. So we did a story on Iran hacking last week, didn't we Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be probably more prevalent until it's.
Speaker 3: Almost like there's a war going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know, right, what's going on with that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And this isn't surprising. The surprising thing is that there's operational technology that's accessible on the Internet, which is just horrifying but not surprising. Yeah, but not surprising. So according to this, and this is an interesting article. If you do manage anything that whether it's POC's or OT whatever, a lot of Rockwell Automation and Alan Bradley systems are the targets. These are SCATUS systems.
Speaker 1: So it's probably so some CTO sitting in his you know, suite at the Waldorf Astoria can monitor things and then call people and chew them out when when stuff goes wrong.
Speaker 2: Why why is the pressure in the tanks low.
Speaker 1: Or why is it high?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So what's interesting about this article. You know, first off, if you're managing you know, Rockwell Automation PLCs or really kind of any operational technology, you should obviously make sure that it's your You're viewing logs, and this is something where we can't say go patch.
Speaker 1: Because it's just don't be stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of this, A lot of these operational technology you know PLCs, you can't go patch. Actually you might be able to, but you shouldn't, right, A lot of times you don't want touch it because it's working.
Speaker 1: It's more of an architectural decision of how you expose them to the Internet such that an Iranian hacker or any hacker could discover them and infiltrate. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you know we've seen it before when testing OT and talking to companies about it. It's like, well, yeah, we had it air gapped, but you know, then it made sense for us to add a wireless routers because we didn't want to get out of our desk and walk over and look at the gauge. So we see this all the time where it's like it was architected appropriately in the beginning and then just over time drift gaps, drift. Yeah, whatever, developers putting boxes on both nets. We've seen all sorts of weird stuff.
Speaker 1: By the way, do you get rid of your TP link routers this week?
Speaker 2: I'm gathering them all here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You probably don't have any, do you, guys?
Speaker 2: I do not, No, no, I do not.
Speaker 3: So here's a question. They infiltrated them, did they cause any serious damage or did we find them so quickly they couldn't or were they trying to embed so they could down the road do we.
Speaker 2: Think question, Yeah, it's more in bed so that they can do things on the road. So a lot of times, especially if it's going to be uh, you know, tactically war driven, it's you know, they'll be given the command at some point to drop half the eastern Seaboards electricity right or something along those lines.
Speaker 3: So that failed because we found it, I.
Speaker 2: Would assume so, because I haven't heard of any any cities getting you know, completely flooded or the like.
Speaker 1: Flickering, it doesn't really doesn't really say.
Speaker 2: Nah, it doesn't go into that's not surprising. I don't think they'll you know what I mean, maybe successfully they got into one or two systems and shut something down. And I'm sure the you know, SIS is not gonna be like, well, gosh, darn it, they shut off the you know, the water treatment plant in Ohio, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would I would think those kind of attacks would be listed high in this article if they actually happen. Yeah, absolutely, see anything.
Speaker 2: But you know, they they do make some really sort of key advice here, right, remove any pocs from direct Internet explosure. That makes sense. Have a firewall and it's honestly, it's super easy at this point to have a firewall. Put a VPN on that firewall, and then you know, connect that way. It at least removes a little bit of the risk.
Speaker 1: Use all fording at devices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, use all fording at devices, and then anybody can use the VPN, including you. But they mean, yeah, but they do have warranted right. So if you take a look at this article though, towards the bottom, they have these things called IOCs, which for those of you who aren't threat hunters, and IOC is an indicator of compromise. So on a network we always assume breach, but there are threat hunters, you know, people who work at companies who were constantly looking for threats on the network. They'll use these indicators to compromise. These or they gave it in XML and JSON format, but they can use these to actually verify against the systems to see if something is awry. So if you do manage those systems, realize they do have indicators of compromise, What that also proves is they've done the forensics and re search on live OT systems to realize kind of what the issues are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think that's a win. Yeah, I mean, yeah, it would be better if we didn't have news like this because they couldn't get in right, But we know that. It's almost like they're the Ranians are helping us pen test our infrastructure. There you go, I appreciate that. Yeah, you'll consider that a good will gesture.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly aren't they nice? I don't know if i'd go that far. All right, Cyberscoop says Microsoft drops its second largest monthly batch of defects on records. So this was for patch Tuesday one hundred and sixty five. Vulnerability is affecting its various products and underlying systems, including one actively exploited vulnerability in Microsoft Office SharePoint.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm going to make this prediction right now. Okay, this will not friends don't let friends use SharePoint. Yeah, well there is that this will This will not be the second largest for long.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is going to get knocked down on the list. I think we're going to start to see yeah, upwards ten times this many patches coming out in a very short period of time.
Speaker 1: Do you think that they're embracing AI to help them find these things now?
Speaker 3: Yes, But also I had a slide and a presentation I did recently about zero days surviving zero days in the future of AI, And we had like in twenty fifteen, twenty years ago, we had like a couple of thousand vulnerabilities, and then it went up to like six thousand a few years later, and then ten thousand, and last year there were forty eight thousand vulnerabilities disclosed in the wild, and it's expected to be one hundred thousand this year. Oh yeah, wow, So it's going to be and it might blow way past that to a quarter of a million if if things like mythos actually do the job they're supposed to do when they are limited release and actually find a lot of things. Now, whether they quietly patch those things, well they publicly patch those things, who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, Microsoft was saying they saw three times the amount of submissions for bugs for their bug Bundy programs and that sort of stuff. So I think there are a lot of people out there stitching together artificial intelligent sort of bug bounty programs where you know, even even groups like hacker one are now offering you know, an AI to do the pen testing as opposed to you know, the meat set.
Speaker 3: I don't think everybody's familiar with hacker one. Do you want to just explain who they are again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely So. If you let's say you're a big company, you've created an application, whatever it is, you could hire these guys and it's a little bit different than a pen test. So like for a pen test, if you know, if we get hired by Bank of America and they want us to look at a thing or look at all the networks we go through, we work with them, We you know, give them advice on what they should do, We deliver the report, we make sure they are remediate, blah blah whatever. That's a pen test, right and or red team, depending on the depth you go. Hacker one is more like, hey, I have this application we created, not really interested in working with anybody. Just figure out what's wrong with it. And Hacker one posts it up and puts a bug bounty on it, says, hey, anybody finds a bug, it's one hundred dollars. And anybody finds a you know, critical bug, it's two hundred dollars and whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, we've actually tried them out and they're easy to work with. They were it was a good company to work with. It was an interesting experience. But it's been a number a year since we engage with them.
Speaker 2: But it's also it's in a lot of cases it's very much chaos. It's not it's not like, hey, I have this one partner I'm working with who right, will work with me from beginning to end, make sure it gets remediator, will retest and blah blah blah blah blah. It's like, here's a bug, pay us, here's a bug, pay us. Does it go public? I mean, aren't they opening themselves up to packing in general?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: They have a stable of people that they work with that they've vetted.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's not like you just go out on the internet and said, hey, hack me.
Speaker 2: You can do that, and sometimes they do. Sometimes they're open programs where they're like, hey, anybody ca enjoin this program. So you go when you sign up on hacker ones, you know platform, but you have control and when a new program pops up, yeah, it sends you a message saying, hey, there's a new program, go hack this ip.
Speaker 3: Right. It's kind of like in john Wick when everybody gets a phone call that there's a new Yeah exactly. It's like that, yeah, there's a new hit contract out on on Carl yep. But at this point and everybody starts looking at them.
Speaker 1: Story to my life, guys, story of my life.
Speaker 2: So, you know, with artificial intelligence, I think a lot of these the really really high end bug bounty guys like who are doing this as a job, they've always had automation, they've always had scripts, they've always you know, looked for kind of the low hanging fruit as quickly as possible so they could send it, and even automatic submissions. So they're getting you know, a program opens and within a couple of seconds, they're getting thousands of dollars. I think you wire artificial intelligence into that and they you know, that's I think that's why hacker One's like, you know what, why don't we do that as opposed to just handing out all the money?
Speaker 1: Right, All right, we're moving on, and so last week our top story was about anthropic mythos and how they're it's so powerful that they can't release it to the public. It's only a few big companies that are getting access to it, and governments or whatever. So now this story just came across our desk yesterday. Open Ai releases a cyber model to a limited group in a race with mythos. It's like, oh, yeah, we can do that too. Yeah, so has anybody seen it?
Speaker 3: Or this is actually the first I've heard of this, and I usually keep pretty good track of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of it's limited release. I know they they only reached out to Opening Eye has a it's not called friends and family like, it's like a small trusted cyber grail here. It is enemies and grudges. Is that what it's called. But open aiyes, trusted access cyber program where you can work with them and get beta releases and early releases and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: But the whole idea is for these companies to use it to find bugs and their issues in their software.
Speaker 3: Right, and yeah, this reminds me of a story when my kids were young. So, my niece was about a couple of years older than my oldest daughter Jen, and she had joined the Brownies and she came to my mother, who was called Nana, and said, Nana, Nana, I'm a brownie. And my youngest, my daughter, didn't understand what that was, but she said, Nana, nanaa, I'm a cookie. I think this is open a I becoming a cookie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, who knows. We haven't obviously seen it, but you know, it makes sense that they're trying to keep up with the anthropics. Oh, the anthropics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and it's not a surprise these you know, a lot of discovery of exploits. Although there's some art to it, there's a lot of scutwork and statistical analysis too that's easily offloaded to artificial intelligence models. Right, So it'll be interesting when they make these go wide, right mythos and five four cybers not open to the public, But the moment they open it up to the public, you better bet all the old pieces of software that didn't get into the data are going to be hammered on.
Speaker 1: Five four cyber is the GPT that we're talking about here.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's GPT five point four dash cyber. Right. I'm reserving judgment because I think it could very well be a well, we have to have something in the space cabble something together. The timing is a little bit suspicious.
Speaker 2: I think you'll only know that. And if Elon pops one out next week and it's like.
Speaker 1: Ah, there you go, Grock.
Speaker 2: INDI it's called grock Penetrator. That's it, and that's.
Speaker 1: I thought he was the grock Penetrator.
Speaker 2: I would like to use the Grock penetrator. Please, Elon, if you're listening to this, give me access to the grock Penetrator.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll do one more story before we take a break. This is a good one. Fake Ledger Live app on Apple Store linked to nine point five million dollar crypto theft Apple the fake Ledger Live app on its app store allowing scameras to steal nine and a half million dollars from more than fifty users. Did you install this app? Wasn't it just last week we talked about an app that was in the app store that got through the checks and balances and started messing people's up.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's lots of ways to do that. We've talked about it before, where you basically have a you know, a legit application, and then you do a patch that puts in the bad stuff. All right, so key, just because it's in the you know, it's if you find gum on the street, it doesn't mean it's free candy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so this was a wallet, a crypto wallet, yeah, and it was purported to be like one of the more well known wallets, although developed by somebody else. And they stole nine point five million dollars from fifty people.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. Those people have to have.
Speaker 2: One hundred and ninety thousand dollars each.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's impressive in and of itself. So you're telling me there's fifty people with two hundred grand in their crypto wallets who jumped on top of this as quickly as possible to throw money. It's just it's a weird story, man, it's a weird story. It is a weird story. You know's busy. I know he's giving me access to the penetrator, you know. So it's I we always talk about and I gave this advice to my kids and really anybody who will listen to me talk. But when you go to download an app on your phone, whether it's from the Apple Store right, which you'd like to trust is going to be safe for your you and your phone, or whether it's you're on Android and it's the play store, it doesn't matter. Do a little bit of research, right, Like Patrick said, don't just pick up that gum and eat it, Like, maybe see who the developer is actually.
Speaker 3: I said that, Yeah, And it's what's interesting about.
Speaker 1: It is care free Orday.
Speaker 2: Bazookazoozuka, you should duck. Yes what I'm saying, Bazooka guns good for about to choose.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: You don't want to you don't want out where you're welcome with that chip of tooth. So you know, in this particular case, I mean, they did a decent job, right they There were a lot of reviews quote unquote on using the app, and people were saying it was great and blah blah blah whatever. Right, so you can't really go off reviews. Hey, heads up, I mean if you're listening to this podcast, you probably know this. A lot of reviews are robots, like there's on Amazon on whatever. It's like, you know, fifty eight bajillion five stars, like okay, not really gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen on dot neet rocks. We used to get multiple emails saying, hey, I really love your podcasts and I'd like to come on as a as a you know, a guest and blah blah blah, and then you know, and we totally ignore those things because we find the guests. We don't need people soliciting us, right, And so now what they do is they get an AI to go and search through the RSS feed and they and it comes up with a paragraph that's believable. It's like I was listening to your episode on blah blah blah and this and that episode ninety five when you guys really had some good insights and especially and then they'll just come up with some bs, right, you know about how the juxtaposition between this these forces and yeah, yeah it was really interesting, and I think you ought to have this guy on your podcast, right.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just shameless, Yeah, shameless, shameless without shame. Get your own show, you know, stop bugging me. Yeah a, I get your own show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Hey, I probably has its own show.
Speaker 3: You know. I did never apologize for doing that, Carlo, All.
Speaker 1: Right, so is there anything more to say about this than it happened? And be careful and.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, we always tell people to be careful about what they download, like, don't trust reviews, really kind of do the research. Take a look at the development site and if you don't know, don't use it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: At least don't transfer one hundred and ninety thousand dollars in crypto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's if you think it's butter but it's not, don't eat it, right, Yeah, Unfortunately it is caveat. I'm there, buyer, Beware, you have to figure out, like what's gout reputation. Look at articles in you know, by actual journalists.
Speaker 1: Look at top ten lists, brand names like you want to.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would use a wallet.
Speaker 1: You want to get the official app from the official vender. Yeah, and sometimes it's hard to discern which one is that that's true? Yeah, yeah, Usually they'll have a logo that they say, or if you go to their trusted website and there's a QR code, even better. All right, let's take a break. This is a good time for that, and we'll be right back after these very important messages and we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Dwayne and Patrick, and we got a few more stories for you before we wrap it up and call it a week. The next one researchers hijack AI coding agents and steal credentials. No way, this did not happen. What this could not happen in twenty twenty six? Really, who would allow it to happen? Oh my god? Yeah, all right, what happened?
Speaker 3: Just another version of the old stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever, I don't even know what to say about these things, anyah.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Well, it's be honest, it's the same thing with just a different factor. So basically they're using pull request titles to sneak instructions in. And what I think, what I think the AI should do is say instruction should only be able to be given in these approved channels period. But what's happened is they basically sneak in and oh, by the way, also send a copy over here or whatever, or give me the key or publish the key to this location, right, and they're just sneaking in the the instructions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's what I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just seems sloppy, like that you can prompt inject in some sort of pull request pipeline, like you shouldn't be giving instructions in some ways to the build manager. I mean, I understand that that sometimes needs to be done and that sort of stuff, but they just should be betrails around.
Speaker 1: It, and that should the PR.
Speaker 3: Disabled by default for you to give a prompt or refine a prompt, or add to a prompt in any channel other than an official, safe approved channel.
Speaker 1: And how about this, how about you know, GitHub or whatever the repo was, how about you just filter out all the stuff that's not text? Well, yeah, you know, hey, there's an idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean the only thing I can see is sometimes and here again, I don't understand why you would be reading through all of the texts and processing it within LLM, you know, but either way, yeah, there need to be more guardrails around it.
Speaker 1: Yep, definitely.
Speaker 2: But this is this is really I think it was two or three weeks ago we had reported on compromising GitHub repos using poll requests and using the build pipelines, and that's where stuff this is a very similar thing we're seeing happen as well.
Speaker 1: Tighten it up, guys, All right, this isn't really a security story, but maybe it is. I'm not sure. But it was just something that got us talking. We were going through all the stories then we got to this one and it sparked a conversation and we were like, do we really want to include this? And I'm like, well, we're talking about it, Yeah, we're not talking about the other ones.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: French government says au Revoir to Windows, will use Linux instead. The French government has officially committed to replacing Microsoft Windows with Linux across all government desktops, stepping up its efforts to gain digital sovereignty. And so one of the big takeaways here is the French National Police Force that replaced Windows with a customized version of Ubuntu Linux saves two million euros a year. And that was just the police force, right, So they're they're they're replacing it across two point five million civil servants desktops. They're going to say about.
Speaker 3: You a lot of money, Yeah they are, but there's gonna be I think it helps them with sovereignty for sure. Sure, most users are familiar with Windows, and and something Dwayne brought up when we had this discussion earlier is when something goes wrong with Windows and you Google or AI search to find a solution, if it says, oh, we run these archaic commands, most people are kind of trained to not do that. And we call that clickfix, where you know somebody gives you commands that are actually back for you. If if someone asked you to run a PowerShell I'm quoting Dwayne again, if someone asked you to run a powershelling, sounds really smart. Uh, brother is a little smarter es.
Speaker 1: So if you.
Speaker 3: Most people are trained now to say, you know, that's a little sketchy. I don't think I'll do that. You know, it should be something where I can like open something and click on something right, and they'll they'll be shells and ways for people to run Linux. But I think your average user is going to be lost, and I think there's gonna there's gonna be either that money is going to be spent in protecting protective systems to help the users, or it's going to be lost in in people making mistakes and getting fished. I don't know. I don't have any I've heard a lot of anecdotes of this over the years. Every couple of years, some organization, some civil organization is saying, well, we're going to stop doing some government and I haven't heard about it. I think one of them backtracked and decided not to do it. I think Meta been Munich or one of the others. So if they if it's been successful. Great if it's not well apparently has.
Speaker 1: The police force has been using it and they haven't had any problems. And you know, these are French police officers we're talking about.
Speaker 3: How long have they been using it.
Speaker 1: We don't know, but it saves them, Okay, two million years a year, so at least a year.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I know, I worry about the unintended consequences.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: I hope they're doing training. I hope they're helping people understand. I agree the differences here. It takes a lot for people to understand that everything's a file.
Speaker 1: In the right I know.
Speaker 3: And maybe they'll distracted away so that they don't have that experience.
Speaker 1: Mac users, for the longest time didn't have the word file in their vocabulary. You know, they didn't understand what files were because they never had to deal with them. They were just like documents and sheets.
Speaker 2: And guys are adorable. Yeah, you only have one big button on your mouth. You're the guy click like now, come on, man st.
Speaker 1: As.
Speaker 2: You can tell the.
Speaker 3: Big Mac user, Dwayne. Dwayne's a big mac us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can tell I'm a big Mac user. The hamber me.
Speaker 1: I think Ubuntu is probably the cream of the crop when it comes to desktop Linux, and I haven't used it in a long time, but last time I looked at it was really really cool.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is very good. I'm using it. I'm using it for several systems. I use Windows in a lot of systems too. But uh it, you know, it's pretty good. But it's not as easy as Windows. And maybe that's just a bias because I've used Windows so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was going to.
Speaker 1: Say, well, maybe it's not as convenient, but does that mean it's more secure?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 1: I just nade Patrick eat his words.
Speaker 3: No, because I can make something, so I can make a a security system so inconvenient that it's not used. Right. Sure, So it gets down to that point where it's like frustration sets in and people just do something that they shouldn't do.
Speaker 1: Does a BU do automatic updates? I mean that's the biggest security issue that I can think of.
Speaker 3: It does it, but you know it'll let you know, Hey, you know you need to you need to do these updates.
Speaker 1: And you know, so it doesn't have like Windows Update where it just applies them and.
Speaker 3: Not that I've seen. It may be something I can set up with a crown job or something like that. But I didn't see it out of the box.
Speaker 2: You're talking about auto updates and a Buntu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it'll prompt you, but I don't know that it'll do it without being prompted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't have to drop to a bash file. You don't have to drop to a Bash window and do a pseudo or I mean you could.
Speaker 2: You could sudo update and blah blah blah and you know whatever if you wanted to. But they have an app center. Yeah, there's an app center you can use to and you can just update all hey. Yeah, but no they had they they now have an auto update or they're a real boy. Yeah, it's I can't imagine they wouldn't you go right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: I wish them luck.
Speaker 1: I wish them.
Speaker 2: I hope this Linux thing takes off. Yeah, yeah, I think it's fine.
Speaker 1: I've heard it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Good luck boys, and I have fun storm in the castle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's definitely an update.
Speaker 1: Hey. Well, and they're gonna you know, they're gonna have a lot of extra money to buy armor for a storm in the castle. So all right, So here's the top story. This week, a ten dollars domain could have handed hackers twenty five thousand end points, including in OT and government networks. So this I don't know could have I thought it did.
Speaker 2: What happened to me, that's a that's a good point. Yes, this, Yes, So what happened was there was a piece of software that was uh says it was used to help with search engine optimization, and it was signed. I think it was signed by a company called dragon Boss. The dragon this is a company that's super reputable stuff.
Speaker 1: They went out of his favorite Saturday Morning cartoon by the.
Speaker 3: Way, dragon boss Z.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, so you know lots of companies, Fortune five hundred's, there's utility companies that sort of stuff. They were using it, right. I don't know why as a utility company you need a search engine optimization tool, right. It was also one of those sketchy pieces of software, like those adware pieces of software, where like, yeah, we'll give it to you for free, but we're going to throw ads up. So it was mildly obnoxious and bypassed a lot of pop up rules and all sorts of other things. Well, needless to say, it's switched over to more nefarious things. Later on where they were pushing down a PowerShell script that would shut down the firewall, would call back to command and control structure, that sort of stuff. So yeah, absolutely right, Carl, Like these systems were compromised. But security researchers, once they started digging in, found out of of all of the domains that it would call back to, because it would call back to its its command and control it's C two structure, of all the domains it would call back to you, there was one that was not registered. So the hackers whoever put the malicious code in, let's say, they put twenty domains in there just in case one got burnt, but they didn't actually register all twenty domains. So when the researchers went and looked, one of the domains that wasn't registered was only ten dollars. Wow, And they're like, you know what, let's register it. So they did, and then they started listening. Right when they started listening, and they found twenty five thousand people reaching back saying what do you want me to do?
Speaker 1: Boss?
Speaker 2: And they were like, hmmm, that's not good.
Speaker 1: By people, you mean instances of the application.
Speaker 3: Now, this also teaches a lesson like let's say you had a company and you conducted business and then you decided to change the company name and you let the domain, the old domain go, right, Yeah, if you still have accounts that maybe went dormant on that, if I bought that domain, I can try to do a password reset and I might be able to wake up that credential. Now it might be lapsed, It might not cost anything, but now I can represent who you were. And even if it doesn't injure you, it could injure the people who've done business with you, who didn't know that you changed your name, who didn't know that you you did these things, and so.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm thinking more like you have software out in the wild that's making calls to these things, like that's actually.
Speaker 3: What this story is about. But there's also these other it's it's always you always have to look at when you let a domain go, what's what are you also letting go? What is also attached to that? What could a nefarious actor like Dwayne if they had that domain, what chaos could they cause? What could they do? Right? And that has to be part of the metric of whether you keep the domain or not, or you have to close down those problems in order to get rid of the domain response.
Speaker 1: It's only ten dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, but if you got a lot of domains, you know a lot of people no.
Speaker 1: No, no, I know that, but you know, if they you know, you're sitting around in a boardroom talking about should we keep those domain it's kind of you know, it's being you in the world and blah blah blah. It's ten bucks les you should keep it.
Speaker 3: But it also could just be that somebody didn't know what domain company it was registered with and they didn't get the emails anymore. Because so you got to keep inventory and audit is a big thing that nobody thinks about as part of security. It's important for encryption, it's important for s bomb, it's important for everything, right, and it's something that it takes a lot of time and energy and it's boring, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think in the age of AI will start to see more and more agents will do this in an automated way. So yeah, fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was it dangerous, repetitive and boring? Yeah, those are the things that we'll see AI and robotics.
Speaker 1: Those are my nicknames in high school.
Speaker 2: Dangerous repetitive and boring, exactly nice.
Speaker 1: Good for you. All right. Well is that it, guys for this week. That's a show. So that's all that happened last week, and we'll talk about what happened spends next week on security this week, Bye bye weeks.
Speaker 3: Thanks God.