Speaker 1: Authors Playhouse.
Speaker 2: Calling ran outside calling Moran, Ata says and hours a limit down there, Brandy, diver, but down two hours?
Speaker 3: Suggest your come up?
Speaker 2: Hey, Wilson and Rosey, guess me come up?
Speaker 4: Then submerged for two hours? How do you feel my.
Speaker 3: Bloods of frozen mass?
Speaker 5: But we can't go up?
Speaker 6: We do The men trapped in the subtlety dead by tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Two brave men scoff at the perless mission, and the sea in turn rewards one of them by revealing an amazing secret.
Speaker 8: Author's Playhouse presents h.
Speaker 7: Bernard Dixon's gripping story of heroism below the Sea two of a time.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello Ward Moran, al Morian speaking. This is Admiral Ross Daily. You're the diver and Sell the engineer. Yes, this is a confidential Madam Moran. The submarine of the old s type was sunk in a collision a few hours ago just off the Olympic Peninsula. She lies in about twenty four fathoms. We have the equipment for you. A navy plane will pick you up the elemated terminal within the hour. Oh wait a minute, what's the matter with your navy divers? Why pick I'm a civilian most of them are done in the South Seas with even a properly equipped trawler.
Speaker 3: Here you'll have to work from a destroyer.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty tired, just came off a job. Mind sweeper rank Listen, Marian, I haven't time to persuade you. You have an excellent reputation drafts. You can save the men. Men? What men?
Speaker 3: Four men are trapped in the Ford compartment, still alive.
Speaker 8: It's different.
Speaker 2: We're wasting time. Have everything ready and see if you can take up a couple of experienced helpers.
Speaker 3: I'll take care of everything.
Speaker 2: And by the way, there's a man in your city living at the Boushore Hotel named John Wilson. Bring him along with you. He's an experienced diver and has a thorough knowledge of the S type SUPs. I gotta use a man like that, so can we see you in the morning. All right, sir, goodbye?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 8: The work fast.
Speaker 2: Hello, give me a cabin hold him there, Try to get Charlie. He's a fast driver. I'll be down in ten minutes.
Speaker 6: Okay, mister Moran, here's a pot shamp hotel.
Speaker 4: Ten minutes flat.
Speaker 3: Very good time.
Speaker 8: Wait for me and don't follow any blonde.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, yeah.
Speaker 10: You John Wilson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, got a job for you. I don't want a job.
Speaker 2: Go away, sorry, brother, But the Navy says I'm to deliver you, to allow me to the airport and for my money. That's an order.
Speaker 8: Come on out of that bed.
Speaker 2: And into a shower. Come away, Come on, I said, out of the bed.
Speaker 8: You want to fight later out fight with you right now. You're going out of this shower.
Speaker 2: Come on over here, now, come on in there.
Speaker 10: Come on, you're getting closely.
Speaker 2: It's time to take you out of the Muslim We got work to do.
Speaker 8: Do you mind telling me what this is all about?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 2: I had to be rough with you back in the hotel, which were in no condition to be reasoned with.
Speaker 8: I had to get Gentian. Yeah, I gathered that.
Speaker 2: But why navy orders? But to help save some men trapped in a sunken submarine. I'm mord Morine.
Speaker 8: I've heard of you. You've done some great diving.
Speaker 2: It's a sunken pig boat off the Olympic Peninsula, S Type four men trapped alive in a forward compartment.
Speaker 11: I wonder why Bompson Lung should get them out. Even out of the old s boats. I don't know about submarines danser that one. But the Admiral seems to think you do.
Speaker 9: Admiral who Staley, It couldn't be stayed pretty sure, that's what it was.
Speaker 8: That's right, mister.
Speaker 2: You don't know how right it is. You know, it's that I haven't heard of you before, Wilson. Salvage work is my business. I thought I knew all the good diveries.
Speaker 11: I haven't on the beach anyway. I was never a civilian diver. Maybe yeah, even then, I wasn't known as a diver.
Speaker 8: That was more of a sideline. Been down very deep plenty. You don't have to worry about me.
Speaker 2: What's a former navy man doing on the beach these days?
Speaker 8: That's my business.
Speaker 11: You concentrating those guys breeding their guts out, and that wreck's up.
Speaker 10: Get ready for landing at Seattle below.
Speaker 2: We're there to the left the store that'll take you out to the scene of the wreck.
Speaker 8: Motorcyclelass coat is waiting at the field.
Speaker 9: They'll have you at the dark.
Speaker 2: In ten minutes, Old fast, what morana, John Wilson, at your service, Lieutenant Adam most Haley's waiting for you aboard.
Speaker 10: Chip follow me please.
Speaker 8: A long time since I've been on one of these tin cans.
Speaker 3: Is that right.
Speaker 10: At most Failey? The two divers, sir.
Speaker 2: Good morning, mister Moran, The morning's in. Mister Wilson, good heavierboard.
Speaker 8: Can't say I feel good being him?
Speaker 2: Then why did you come?
Speaker 8: I'll tell they're four men alive. They're important in or out of the navy.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, mister Allen. You've orders to get on the way, Yes, sir. The sub was ran yesterday afternoon a short distance from Port Angele's. We don't know exactly how it happened, except that it must have been running submerged coming into Puget Sound. A Coastguard cutter sliced across the just forward of the conning tower. The sub went down immediately. Did you get anyone off? Six men out of the rear compartments using moms and lungs, but they couldn't throw any light in the accident. None of them had been in the control room for some time preceding the collision. There's till four men forward alive for the time being.
Speaker 8: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: A destroyer standing by over the sub and has been in touch with the trappedman through its sonic apparatus. One of the four is Lieutenant Commander Bell, a sub skipper. I can't understand why the skipper should have been forward.
Speaker 9: Seems to be the same old trouble he didn't understand before either.
Speaker 8: I've got to get those.
Speaker 2: Men out naturally, and of course our first thought is for them. But there's another matter of great importance. The sub was carrying confidential papers fleet. Those papers are needed in Washington. They must be retrieved. Wilson, you'd probably know where to find them. You you are well acquainted with the interior of the s type.
Speaker 11: Look, I'll help free them in I know what they're up against, but don't expect me to help with anything else.
Speaker 2: You're not in the navy. I can't order you, but i'd hoped. I'd stop hoping, sir. I'd leave you and Mirane to go over the charts. There's coffee and sandwiches on the table. If you want anything, just let me know.
Speaker 4: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: I am him.
Speaker 11: I'll get this chart as where the sub went down. She's not about one hundred and forty.
Speaker 8: Four feet of water.
Speaker 2: It's about as deep as a diver can go and expect to get results. Pressure should be about sixty tons.
Speaker 11: You see where she's lying the very edge of an underwater wreath. She slips off that she will be in at least thirty five fathoms too deep for any.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going after look at the diving equipment coming.
Speaker 9: I think I'll stay here. You will find Lieutenant Allen just outside the door. He plays nurse made to the app row. He'll show you around.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks a Lieutenant Allen. Yes, sir, I'd like to see the diving equipment.
Speaker 10: Follow me, but watch your step. It's freezing over.
Speaker 2: It's getting pretty rough. Doubt if we're going to be able to do any diving in this blow if I told your man, and we'll do our best.
Speaker 9: And by the way, how long has Wilson been out.
Speaker 2: Of the Navy?
Speaker 10: Oh, about two years, maybe a little more.
Speaker 2: I suppose he was in the submarine service. I thought he was working with you, for he is, But I just met him last night.
Speaker 9: Oh, I see, Wilson is one of the best skippers in the submarine Fleet. Admiral Staley was then in command of that fleet. Now he's stationed in this area.
Speaker 2: What happened.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 9: I don't know the whole story, only part of it. Wilson, who was in command of the submarine turn out of Boston, was ran by an army transport somewhere along the main coast. Went down with all the hands. Some miracle, Wilson escaped. He was the only one, and ordinarily there would have been the usual inquiry, but Staley ordered a court martial. Wilson was found guilty of negligence and discharged as honorable. No, there was some doubt. I sew exactly what had happened. He was simply discharged as unfit.
Speaker 10: That's all I know.
Speaker 4: You're not too bad.
Speaker 2: Well, here come Wilson, Admiral Staley. Let's go over the diving equipment and agree on the signals to be used.
Speaker 9: All right, sir, Everything ready, Miss Allen, Yes, sir everything.
Speaker 2: Are they still receiving messages from the Trappman, Admiral, Yes, they're still alive. There in the Ford compartments fouled and getting worse. They're in a bad way. I hope I can make it, sir. It's one of the worst gales I've seen. How Wilson, what do you think that's your life?
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 9: I'll said, that's where you get it. Okay, suits me too, Let's get ready.
Speaker 10: There are four suits, a heavy woolen underwear for each of you.
Speaker 9: Got enough socks, lieutenant, There's so many pairs you can get on your feet. I've checked the diving suits and gloves. There are eighty pound let belts and thirty pound let shoes. The two way telephone equipment is the best.
Speaker 10: In the navy.
Speaker 2: We're good, I needed.
Speaker 11: Okay, let's get into these monkey suits.
Speaker 10: I thinks day's ready, Freddy Wilson.
Speaker 8: Ready.
Speaker 2: You know there's no decompression tank on board, just in case. Yeah, I know, I get what easier sending. We get the bends out here. There's no tank to save us.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: So we get on together. Kill the ball weed better and stay at my side. Don't lose side of me at anytime, right, Okay, all the helmets.
Speaker 8: And helhol okay, clear, coming by all away?
Speaker 4: Right, can you hear me? Wilson?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm deck like the first drop at least twenty feet it will be smashed against the side of the boat.
Speaker 3: Already.
Speaker 2: Already you reready, Wilson, yep, long way a pressure building up in helmet belding air getting cold. Steady this stage, you'll shake us off. Compensate for the ground swells.
Speaker 3: Sting rapidly.
Speaker 8: Curtain same same.
Speaker 3: Same thing.
Speaker 2: Drop another twenty feet. Leave the stage at that level. Step off from there. Make it easy, right, All that's steady.
Speaker 4: Okay, hold steady.
Speaker 2: Now reach for the line leading to the subs. I'm starting down.
Speaker 4: You follow pressure Tony great, cold, intense, pretty.
Speaker 2: Dark on Decky's lines.
Speaker 4: Stop right below me.
Speaker 2: Take it easy.
Speaker 4: We're down, Wilson.
Speaker 2: We have any idea where we are?
Speaker 5: I think we're after the Cunning tower. We have to make our way forward.
Speaker 2: Okay, follow me. Be carefully, you don't step into that gash in.
Speaker 4: The hall top side.
Speaker 7: Hope.
Speaker 2: Gash starts at counting tower, goes all the way forward. Slice the hull up and like cheese silver structure, peel back. Hey, Wilson, be careful for the jacket edges. We rip our suits, the pressure smashes like jelly. Take your time. Are you single?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 2: Inside?
Speaker 4: Are okay? There?
Speaker 2: Answering?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 12: Are bad?
Speaker 4: Escape hatch.
Speaker 2: Jam Wilson looks pretty hopeless.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I heard They've gotta try anyway. You have to cut superstructure away with an underwater torch.
Speaker 2: Top signed alp send an air hose and the cutting torch down uh hole cover.
Speaker 7: And part coming down a far.
Speaker 2: More than an hour, and I'll probably tell him.
Speaker 5: Tell the Andrew weel I get down here.
Speaker 2: Fine the channer, send down the hair hose and cutting torch.
Speaker 8: I'll grab moran.
Speaker 5: You see the air connection in the sub is damaged.
Speaker 4: No, I looked at it before It's clear.
Speaker 2: Thank the Lord.
Speaker 5: It comes a torch and the air holes.
Speaker 2: I'll take a hose and attach. You follow with a cutting torch. Hair hose attach men rapping message.
Speaker 4: Men almost frozen.
Speaker 2: Hurry, here's the torch, morn. We'll take turns at it. Keep your fingers crossed. Maytime you better exercise. You'll freeze stiff.
Speaker 3: Look the fleets cutting into the steel.
Speaker 2: He's wonder of the world sparks at the bottom of the ocean. Top signed, cutting steel with torch. This's'll take about an hour. Stand by, yeah, top side an.
Speaker 5: Hour a moment down there, help it down now are.
Speaker 3: And let's come up.
Speaker 2: Hey Wilson, Admiral suggests we come up and down two hours.
Speaker 4: How do you feel.
Speaker 5: We can't go if we do Those men.
Speaker 2: Die top side.
Speaker 4: We're staying.
Speaker 2: Can't dive twice in the same day. Men will be dead by tomorrow if we don't get them out.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm coming almost through superstructure. We're through top side. We're through.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: If we can push it away from the hatch, we're all set.
Speaker 4: Come on, Wilson, heave.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on.
Speaker 4: She's clear.
Speaker 2: Wilson wrapping up message hatch clear blood compartment. Come out in moms and lungs.
Speaker 3: I hope they remember navy instruction.
Speaker 6: Toward it.
Speaker 5: Do not hold bread breathe naturally rise to surface slowly.
Speaker 2: Top side.
Speaker 4: They're opening hatch.
Speaker 2: Here comes when he's excited, leaving his arms the fool. Wilson's grandmad holding him to calm down.
Speaker 4: Oh, Chase, let him go.
Speaker 2: If that fool held his breath for a second, he'd be dead when you fished him off.
Speaker 4: Tell that Kenny else his life to Wilson.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Out of the sun. On their way out, here comes with skipper.
Speaker 2: That's the fore them.
Speaker 3: What do you think we're gonna do?
Speaker 2: Walk to Australia, making way to lead line, watch for signals, can hardly watch. Legs and arms almost paralyzed. Take us up twenty feet at a time and wait a half hour each time.
Speaker 3: When thanks never new a dime. I should do that.
Speaker 2: I have plenty of coffee ready, I've got water. We're gonna need massaging for two or three hours. Aready got any room in that medicine cabinet were for you? Good morning, Maren Wilson, Good morning, sir. Did you rest well? Men did a fine job yesterday. I appreciate it. Thank you, Sir Wilson. Would you mind explaining once more how you lost the turn?
Speaker 8: Thought we went over that two years ago.
Speaker 2: I'd like to hear it again if you don't mind.
Speaker 9: Okay, You're running at periscope depth off the coast of Maine.
Speaker 8: The weather was bad.
Speaker 9: I saw the Army transport a few miles off, crossing our course. I started planning for the surface, but at that moment we struck something and smashed the periscopes. We're blind then, so I ordered the court changed but evidently the transport changed course as well. So we planed for the surface, smack under it and collided a sub broken two.
Speaker 8: I found myself on the surface. I was the only survivor.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you told it before the coincidence of damaging your periscopes at that instant, it's almost too great to believe.
Speaker 9: And you didn't believe it. You recommend a court martial.
Speaker 2: Facts then at my disposal, it was the only way open to me. Yeah, the Navy way, Wilson. Would you dive again for those papers on the sub?
Speaker 8: Not on your life?
Speaker 2: The sub shifter during the night, the wrapping line went out another three or four fathoms. I'd ask Moran to make, but he's not familiar with the sub. With the added four fathoms, who water to contend me?
Speaker 9: If I refuse, you'll put it up to Moran, and I'd have no choice. So I'll get your lousy papers.
Speaker 2: If they weren't important. You can be sure I wouldn't ask the favor of you, even for the navy.
Speaker 8: All right, all right? Where are they?
Speaker 2: The papers are locked in a small steel trunk in the radio operator's cabin.
Speaker 8: I don't know where it is.
Speaker 9: I'm ready to go down at noon, and now, if you don't mind, I'll get some more sleep.
Speaker 8: Saints running standing quarts all.
Speaker 2: Over away, Wilson. Can you hear me over the phones? Good luck, Wilson, I'll be standing by, Okay, thanks, okay on stage, lower away, Laura away, it is, sir.
Speaker 10: Take him down twenty feet and wait for a single.
Speaker 2: Hold it steady, steady, it is, sir.
Speaker 5: Okay, topside, lower another twenty feet.
Speaker 3: That's it. Take it easy, pressure.
Speaker 5: Increasing, getting much cooler.
Speaker 3: I could use another dozen pair of socks.
Speaker 9: A glass twenty feet it is, okay, hold.
Speaker 6: It there, stepping off here older even going down the line, I'm just sliding on the fire, falling on the kid only it's coolder, Okay.
Speaker 2: On the south I'm afraid he went down too fast.
Speaker 5: He's turn a thirty degree angle over the edge of the cliff.
Speaker 3: Push and she'll go over ndring radio com partner.
Speaker 5: I'm messing here. Sided trunk picked up, saying, hey, s the adroop. He's got lit in this box. Heavy comoudy lift hey, take up slack in the grappling line. Guide me out.
Speaker 2: He's got the trunk of the grappling line fastened to us. Wenching in slowly, but don't put too much load on it. Wilson has to guide it through the passage to the gash in the hall.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, eezing and slack gently.
Speaker 3: Okay, she's clear.
Speaker 8: Pull her up, Pull her up.
Speaker 2: It is winching in hold her.
Speaker 10: As he comes that wrong.
Speaker 8: Here's your trunk.
Speaker 2: I'm lady, glad you get that trunk.
Speaker 9: Fine work, Hey, Marian telephone No response from Wilson, only a pounding vibration.
Speaker 2: All right, here, come on, give me that phone.
Speaker 8: Wilson.
Speaker 2: Wilson answer in trouble. Answer please. If you can't talk, talk on your line. Signal in some way. Something's wrong. I'm going down. Get that diving sod ready.
Speaker 5: Stakes already. Can you hear me, mister Morian?
Speaker 2: Right, take go down as usual. Twenty feet and then wait a few minutes. Another twenty feet and I'll step off.
Speaker 12: Okay, lower away, lower a way, it is, sir, older Stenny, steady, first twenty.
Speaker 4: Feet okay, I love late.
Speaker 2: I'm stepping off, grabbing Wilson's line, sliding down. Watch my owner pressure. I'm going down fast. Wilson's lines go inside sub.
Speaker 4: Going in. He's nowhere in sight.
Speaker 2: Oh the lines.
Speaker 4: Run out to sea again. I'm following. Let's die.
Speaker 2: Have another dive already in case we made help outside sab Wilson's lines disappear.
Speaker 4: Overhead, So I think I know what's happening. Yeah, there.
Speaker 2: He is about ten feet above the sub spread eagle in the water just reached him, leading off the pressure for the exhaust part and his helmet. He's almost unconscious. When Wilson left the sub he didn't know his lines were found, got too much air, wollomed out his suit so that he couldn't bend his arms, and.
Speaker 4: Another Feudenkins his body would have been smashed to.
Speaker 2: A pompa jammed up in his helmet. I'm talking.
Speaker 4: He came from falling.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible thing to see a man's eyes blinded with creeping death. But he's coming out of it now.
Speaker 4: He just managed to weak smile.
Speaker 2: Pressure is lessening. Aready standing slowly back toward the submarine. Wilson's able to bend his arms now he'll be able to stand in a second.
Speaker 4: Okay, the top side. He's on his feet.
Speaker 2: He'll be able to hold onto the counting tower when I free the fall lines in the summer, we'll come in slowly. What did he compressing to do on the way.
Speaker 4: Don't look for us for about three hours. Stand by with help from Wilson. When we reach the surface, give your habit chair and get that bottle of rum.
Speaker 2: Out of the medicine cabinet.
Speaker 5: Yes, we'll have everything ready for you, sir.
Speaker 9: Lots happened in the last few days. I'm around sure that fellow nice hospital, good treatment.
Speaker 2: They the nurse tells me we're going to have company in a few minutes. Yeah, oh oh, Lieutenant Allen a skipper the sucking sob, and I will look for yourself.
Speaker 4: Here they come.
Speaker 2: Uh Staley, Hi, he's a great old guy, not half as gruff and unfriendly as he looks. Good evening, moren good evening, mister Wilson. They're both pretty well banged up, so I won't waste any of your time. Moren you have the unending thanks and gratitude of the Navy. He did an exceptionally fine job. Thank you, sir and Wilson. It was a tremendous thing you did going down after those papers, especially in a few of your last connection with the Navy.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: Still it The seb you were working on for me was sunk in almost the identical manner you testified your ship was lost. Lieutenant Commander Bell was entering the harbor at periscope depth to escape the wave action of the storm plotsham of some sort fouled his periscopes, was traveling blind in the collision occurred. The crash propelled him forward and saved his life. You stated your periscopes were damaged, that you were thrown clear hard coincidence.
Speaker 8: Isn't it very odd? But anything can happen in the navy.
Speaker 2: I have a telegram here. I'd like to read it in part, the most important part reinstatement. Granted you know what that means.
Speaker 8: Yes, but I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Commander John Wilson, the day you are discharged from this hospital, report aboard my ship for duty.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, anything can happen in the navy. You have heard h Bernard Dixon's story Two of a Kind, adapted for Author's Playhouse by Margaret Hollywell and directed by mister Harry Bubeck.
Speaker 8: Mister RYE.
Speaker 7: Billsbury was heard as Ward Moran, mister William Everett as John Wilson. Others in the cast of Author's Playhouse Tonight were mister James Goss, mister George Caesar, and mister Sidney Mason. The musical score was written by doctor Roy Shield, and the orchestra was conducted by Joseph Galigio. Next week, same time, same station. Author's Playhouse will bring you Ben Lucian Berman's colorful tale of a river boat feud Minstrel of the Mist. This is the National Broadcasting Company
Speaker 9: H