Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Your lonely, you can always next.
Speaker 3: This is John Fulbright, Hi, this is Jar Williams.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 5: This is Mitch Margle of the Tokens.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 2: This is Gary us bonds Man here on the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 7: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. I am not even going to try to explain tonight's topic. I'm going to leave that to the person who came up with it. But before we hop in, allow me to introduce all the Crambells who are joining us here tonight. First and foremost from the Richter Observatory. He just found out that Pink Floyd's CD comes with a built in laser light show. You just pop it in the microwave for a minute or two. Neil Richtor is here. What's going on? Neil?
Speaker 8: Sound that sounds I like it? Yes?
Speaker 3: Have you ever done that?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, No, I'd be afraid I'd break the microwave.
Speaker 7: No, microwave is fine.
Speaker 8: Well, I have listened to Pink Floyd under.
Speaker 7: Never under microwaves microwave influence. I gotcha the ticket and from paranormally yours. She apologized to her boss for being late and said her car wouldn't start. Her boss asked why not, and she said, because I wasn't in it here.
Speaker 11: I actually don't have to be in my car.
Speaker 7: Just start. After that, Yeah, I keep saying I should get one of those. Every time it's ten degrees, I'm like, I need a remote start. And then when it gets warmer, I'm like, I can't be that lazy. I can't get a remote How hard is it to walk to the car. And then the winter comes and I'm like, I got to get a remote start. And it's been my truck's ten years old at this point.
Speaker 3: In the summer, you can use it with an air condition.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 9: I have an AP on my phone that does it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's what I have.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I have that.
Speaker 7: That was great, rub it in I had all right. From the silver screen, she saw a guy stumble into a bar and order a drink. The bartender says, I'm sorry, you're already wasted. I can't serve you, and the guy stumbles out. A few minutes later, the same guy stumbles back in and orders a drink. The bartender turns him down. And says, you're too drunk. I can't serve you, so the guy stumbles out. A few minutes later, the same guy comes back in and tries to order a drink, and the bartender says, I've already told you twice you're too drunk and I can't serve you. And the guy asked, how many bars do you work at? Mercedes? Kent is here?
Speaker 11: I Mercedes.
Speaker 3: Okay, I feel like I've done that.
Speaker 7: That is the biggest activity in Nashville if you go downtown.
Speaker 12: Yeah, did you hear the one about the Roman guy that walked into kay bar and ordered Yeah, held her five more chenis and put your fingers.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He held up two fingers and said five beers please. Yeah, it's one of those. Yep, our official medical person. She signed up for a carpenter's class. She hasn't built anything yet because they've only just begun. Jessica is here, very cute.
Speaker 3: I like it and have you sang it?
Speaker 7: Yes, that's the best I can do for now. Last, but not least, the host of shaving cream. She went onto Oreo's website and clicked except all cookies. Now she's just sitting back and waiting Barbaravelle is here.
Speaker 9: Hi, Barb, I'm still waiting.
Speaker 13: I got my milk ready, and I want my cookies and I want them now excellently.
Speaker 7: Hey everybody, So tonight's topic is courtesy of Gail, and I had trouble trying to explain it, so I'm going to let Gail explain it.
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, this is another one of those guess what Gail heard on the car radio on the way to or from work. You've heard me say this almost every time we do a show, and it's songs that strike you as hypnotic. And no, I didn't go off the road when I heard the song on the way to work, so not.
Speaker 7: Sleep inducing, something that just kind of holds your attention.
Speaker 10: Right, which was good because I was stuck in traffic on the Palisades Parkway as usual and it was horrendous. So the song that I chose kind of calmped me down. So, yes, songs that you feel are hypnotic.
Speaker 7: Okay, sounds good. Let's see where it goes from here. Neil, you're going to lead us off this week?
Speaker 8: Oh thank you? Okay. Well, let me start off by saying that, when done correctly, I think all music should possess a transformational hypnotic power that transports the listener into a trance like state. Now, some are a little better at it than others, or more conducive to that, and especially with the use of certain recreational mood enhancers.
Speaker 7: Shall we say, you know, but do you need the music after that?
Speaker 8: This can help? But well sometimes not, but that's you know, gotcha. So the other well, the other problem I had with this, which wasn't really a problem because I had a lot of songs came to mind, but most of them were a little long or very long, and again, under certain conditions it time doesn't really matter. But one of the first ones, of course, well, you know Pink Floyd. All of their songs are kind of hypnotic and kind of well, you know, you know Pink Floyd, but particularly the their song Echoes, which was on their nineteen seventy one album called Metal, which clocks in at just about twenty three and a half minutes. So I didn't think that was too appropriate for tonight, unless, of.
Speaker 9: Course, unless it's just your show.
Speaker 8: Right right, or if we all you know, sat and you know.
Speaker 7: That's more of an after party hanging out.
Speaker 8: And I sat around, you know, sat around the hookah or something. But anyway, the other one that came to my mind, which actually has a bit of hypnotic it's like one of those tapes that you listen to, you know, to fall asleep. The song was called Space Hymn and it came out in nineteen sixty nine. The band was called Lothar and the hand people now, who's Lothar? There was no Lothar. It was not a person. Lothar in this case was an instrument we've talked about here on the Rock and Roll History Show called the theremin, which is sort of like a little box like a radio antenna, and you play it by moving your hand up and down this antenna. And you've probably heard it in every b science fiction movie ever made, so you know, you know the So yeah, that was Lothar. Anyway, this song Space Hymn, which clocks in at about seven minutes, It starts off, you know, sit back, relax, and then all of a sudden it just evolves from there and it's definitely worth your time, as is Echoes by Pink Floyd. By the way, Now, the granddaddy of all this came out in nineteen sixty eight, and I'm talking about the much unfairly maligned in a Gada da Vida by Iron Butterfly now you know, which is about seventeen minutes long. There is a shorter version, but it really doesn't really get across the hole.
Speaker 7: You have to take the quick acting version of whatever it is.
Speaker 8: You're all right, I don't know. Somewhere along the line it became like you know, that became like a musical joke. But if you sit and listen to that, I'm sorry that it is a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 8: Yes, it flows from you know, one part seamlessly into the other, and I just think it's amazing. And from what I understand it was the original take that they used was actually a warm up somebody had the engineer had the presence of mind to actually roll tape while they were just going through it to warm up, and that ended up being the best take that they had. But anyway, yeah, that could definitely that is hypnotic, right then, you know, you don't need to go any further than that. But we don't have seventeen minutes here, and I guess you could actually several of the longer doors songs, you know, could be rather hypnotic. They're possibly arguably boring, but like l a woman or even light my fire, it's it's repetitive. It has a hypnotic effect, you know so.
Speaker 7: Or some might call it rage inducing. Only I'm not the only one who thinks the doors are terrible.
Speaker 3: No, you're not.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm just being subjective, Brian. I know you are. You are the arbiter of taste for the known universe and planets beyond. Well, just we're being subjective.
Speaker 7: All right, fair, but they still think.
Speaker 8: Well, they speak highly of you.
Speaker 11: That are any of them still alive?
Speaker 8: Couple? Anyway, I didn't go with any of those. Uh So my choice this week is called the Dragon Song and it's by Brian Augur's Oblivion Express Nice Now Brian L. Gordon Auger. He was born in July nineteen thirty nine in London, England. He's a keyboard player and a jazz fusion pioneer. He also incorporated British pop, R and B and soul music into his sound. Now. Auger is best known for his primary instrument, which is the Hammond organ, which I think we've discussed here, which brings us to our next point. In nineteen sixty five, Auger was brought in as a session man for the legendary British band The Yardbirds, of course, probably best known, aside from having very cool songs, three of the best known rock guitarists ever, Jimmy Page, Eric Lapton and Jeff Beck in and out of their ranks at some point or another. So anyway, he was originally brought in to play the Hammond organ, which as I said, was his primary instrument, but the studio didn't have one there, and as I say, the Hammond organ isn't exactly the easiest thing to like carry around with you. Oh, I'm just going to put it in the case, tuck it under my arm. And no, the only weigh about two and a half tons. You need the Leslie speaker with the rotating and anywhere that's another ton and a half or something like that. So yeah, no, if they don't have one at the studio, you're not going to use one. So they didn't, and the only available keyboard that they had was a harpsichord of all things. Now, the song that they were doing was called for Your Love, and that harpsichord became the songs like signature sound if you know the song, you know the beginning, and that's Brian Auger anyway. Later the same year, Auger formed a group called steam Packet, a group that included British blues legend long John Baldry, a vocalist named Julie Driscoll, Julie Driscoll, and another singer named Rod Stewart. Yes that Rod Stewart. Now Stuart would actually leave the band shortly after and Steam Packett would break up, and no official recordings were really ever made by steam Packett due to contractual problems at the time, but they did record a number of tracks for promotional use, like to get gigs and stuff like that, and they have since been commercially released. Now after Steam Packett, Augur and Julie Driscoll formed a band called Trinity, and their cover of a Bob Dylan song called This Wheels on Fire reached number five on the UK Pop charts, and they also appeared in the US on The Monkeys NBCTV special called thirty three and a third Revolutions per Monkey. In nineteen sixty nine. So let's go to nineteen seventy. Auger formed his jazz fusion group called Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, and the following year, the band released their eponymously titled LP, with the leadoff track Dragon Song that We're going to hear in about a minute. The song was written by guitarist John McLaughlin and appeared on mclachlin's nineteen seventy LP Devotion, an album that featured Buddy Miles on drums. Now, of course, McLaughlin would later form the Mahavish New Orchestra, and Buddy Miles was already known for his association with the great Jimmy Hendrix. Now, along with Augur on keyboards and guitarist Jim Mohen, the Oblivion Expressed roster included at different times two different drummers, Robbie McIntosh and Steve Faron, both of whom would go on to become members again at different times of the Average White Band, and Faren would later become a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as well. Well, let's pause right here and give a listen to this hypnotic track, the Dragon Song by Brian Augury's.
Speaker 6: Coas Ann and Am.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I bought that record pretty much right after it came out, right after I hit high school, so it yeah, I lost a lot of brain cells listening to that song. I mean, it's very hypnotic to me. It's also very frenetic, not unlike me either, so you know. Yeah, No, I've always liked that one. And now Brian Auger would go on over the years to pretty much play with just about everybody over in England. He really never got across to America except maybe for that Monkey Show, but he was well respected in England. When we were talking during the song, I think, Gail you mentioned it sounded like Emerson Lake and Palmer, which yes, yeah, and it was right around the same time. I think this had a little more jazzy stuff to it. And of course Emerson Lake and Palmer. You know, they took over America and that's a whole nother story.
Speaker 10: Yes they did, and that brings me way back to my youth.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, well, well I can only continue here, like I'm getting ahead of myself. Brian Alger released tons of records, he was nominated for a Grammy Award, and as of this taping, he still remains active at the age of eighty five, and I did get a chance to see him perform, not with the Oblivion Express, but with a band, and that was probably way back in late nineteen seventy four, sometime at the legendary New York City venue The bottom Line, which was like a small little club that is sadly no longer there. I think he got bought up by NYU and turned into dorms like everything else around there. But I did get to see ELP too at that point. Again, I went prepared, I'll just put it that way. I went prepared for that, and I thought they were from out of space. That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 7: Nice, that's a good one because you could you could sit back and relax and listen to it, or like if you wanted to be the music student and try to pick everything out and see how complicated you know what I mean, So you could really spend some energy on it, or you could chill. Do me, I picked everything out when I was a kid, because nowadays you go on YouTube and watch smorials.
Speaker 3: Wait when you listen to that song just now.
Speaker 7: Just now, Oh, I was chilling. I put my brain in first gear idol and just laid.
Speaker 8: Back, just ride the music. Yes, yeah, now that and it does have that kind of serpentine that riff is like, that's the hypnotic part that I think in the song, and it does you know? It is like a dragon or some sort of serpent, you know, riding the waves. I don't know. It's just it's cool. That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 7: So they agreed. Awesome, good one, Barbara, you are up?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 13: Well, my song choice this week is called Life Is Safer when You're Sleeping and it's by a band called Barnes and Barnes. Has anyone ever heard of Barnes and Barnes.
Speaker 7: Don't they get you the largest settlement for your injury?
Speaker 9: Does anybody know what Barns is famous for?
Speaker 8: I buy all my books there. Oh that's Barnes and Noble.
Speaker 11: Very good girl, eat them up?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Perhaps really?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah yes, But Barnes and Barnes wrote it.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 13: They formed in nineteen seventy by members Robert Hamer and some dude named Bill Mooney.
Speaker 9: Has anybody ever heard of this guy?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Anybody know what he's famous for?
Speaker 8: The cornfield?
Speaker 13: Ye exactly, sending people to the cornfield, among other things. And honestly, on my birthday he'll say things to me on Facebook like have a real good birthday and then it's like, okay, sure, Bill, thanks so Robert Hamer and Bill Moomey.
Speaker 9: In case you don't know, Bill.
Speaker 13: Moomy was also in Lost Space Babylon five, A bunch of Yes.
Speaker 9: He's very receptive on Facebook.
Speaker 13: If you want to have a conversation with him, I'll answer questions because the dork in me asked him which season of Loss and Space did he like best?
Speaker 9: As far as costumes, So yeah, so he so.
Speaker 13: Bill and Robert were childhood friends and classmates way back in during their childhood in California, they began to write and record original novelty songs, and in nineteen seventy eight sent two of their songs to Doctor Demento, namely Boogie Woo Boogie Boogie, Amputee Mao Wow and Fishheads. So both songs did receive airplay, and Fishheads went on to become the most requested song on the Doctor Demento show. And over the years they branched out into recording non novelty mainstream tracks as well, and Life Is Safer when You're Sleeping is one of them. It was included on their nineteen eighty four album called Amazing Adult Fantasy and features Robert Hamer on lead vocals. It's a good example of a darker persona with themes of lost, regret, and death, the exact opposite of most of his contributions to Barnes and Barns, which were lighthearted, lighthearted and nonsensical. So let's listen to it, let's get hypnotized, and we'll discuss further afterwards.
Speaker 14: Life is so much safer when you're sleeping.
Speaker 15: Why don't you lay down and stay? The life be so much.
Speaker 5: Save when you.
Speaker 15: Why don't lay down?
Speaker 6: Let's say, life be so much safer when your s.
Speaker 16: Hm.
Speaker 15: Why don't you lay talent? Say in.
Speaker 4: Weary on the ground.
Speaker 6: Well, the day.
Speaker 17: I sign.
Speaker 6: You not dream a travel all away?
Speaker 15: He shot a stay. Life be so much said when your sleep?
Speaker 6: Me and why don't you lay talans.
Speaker 15: Like me so much safer and witness sleep? Why don't she lay talent.
Speaker 6: Stay a Mormon? Come he will need to die?
Speaker 18: Little me a O.
Speaker 15: We are love.
Speaker 6: Never cool, never cold?
Speaker 4: Like it so much safer when you sleep? So god chy talents?
Speaker 14: Okay?
Speaker 13: So Bill Mumi and Robert Hamer had a very intense fifty five year personal relationship. Sometimes their musical style would be to go back and forth in a kind of musical conversation, evident in song titles such as Won't You Sing to Me? Robert Hamer and I Love Billy Moomy So Much. Hamer often hosted Facebook live events where all kinds of music and shenanigans took place, and he did this right up until his illness and untimely death in March of twenty twenty three. Bill Mumi was the one who revealed Hamer's passing on social media via a Facebook post, which I actually thought was a joke until I read the whole thing. Bill still makes music. He has toured with the cow Stills in America, and every Monday morning he also does a Facebook live called the Monday Morning Moomie Music Moment.
Speaker 9: And it's fun. You should listen to it. And there you have it.
Speaker 7: I thought that was creepy. I thought that was a guy in my ear going come on over, you'll be.
Speaker 3: Fine, really, come over and sleep in mind.
Speaker 19: Yeah, just sleep, there's nothing going on, there's nothing wrong. We locked the door from the outside for safety.
Speaker 13: That quickly turns into the calls are coming from inside the house.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah. One person's hypnosis is another one's creep out. I suppose I guess I'm the only one. All right, Thank you, Barbara. We're gonna take a quick break and be back with Gail's pick right after this. Hudson River Radio. Your dog likes us.
Speaker 11: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 7: Please turn the cassette over and begin again. On side to.
Speaker 9: This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 7: Ah Y, and welcome back. And tonight's topic was Gail's idea. So I am looking forward to hearing what Gail has picked for us.
Speaker 10: Okay, thank you, Brian. So As I mentioned before, I was striving to work and I listened to a public radio station on my way to and from work, and I heard a song that I've heard before, but it kind of grabbed my attention and I thought, wow, this song is hypnotic.
Speaker 11: The song I chose is by the Cars Now.
Speaker 10: They were an American rock band and they formed in Boston in nineteen seventy six, emerging from the new wave scene in the.
Speaker 11: Late nineteen seventies.
Speaker 10: They were Rick Okaysick on rhythm guitar, Benjamin Orr on bass guitar, Elliott Easton on lead guitar, Greg Hawks on keyboards and David Robinson on drums. The guys who shared lead vocals were Rick Okasick and mister Orr, and Okaysick was the band's principal songwriter and lee. They were named the Best New Artist in nineteen seventy eight in the Rolling Stone Reader's poll. The band's debut album, The Cars Good Name for It sold six million copies and appeared on the Billboard two hundred album chart for one hundred and thirty nine weeks. The Cars had four top ten hits, hits shake It Up nineteen eighty one, you Might Think from nineteen eighty four, Drive also from nineteen eighty four, and Tonight She Comes from nineteen eighty five. They won the Video of the Year award for it You Might Think at the first MTV Video Music Awards in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was a big deal, that video with the mix of cartoon and Yeah.
Speaker 10: I just always loved their music. It's just a resonated as they say. The Cars disbanded in nineteen eighty eight. Benjamin Orr died in two thousand from pancreatic cancer at the far too young age of fifty three. In two thousand and seven, Easton and Hawks joined Todd Rungren and others to form the offshoot band The New Cars. Why don't I remember that this.
Speaker 7: Is too much they did. I think they did a ten date tour or something like that, just like a real quick kind of one and done.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, so okay. So they formed the band The New Cars. Then the surviving original members of The Cars reunited in twenty ten to record the band's seventh and final album, which was called Move Like This, and that was released in May of twenty eleven. Following a short tour in some port of the album, the band once again went on hiatus. In April twenty eighteen, the Cars were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and reunited to perform at the induction ceremony. Rick Okaysick died of cardiovascular disease in September fifteenth of twoenty nineteen, at the age of seventy five. Now the song that I Chose was off their first album, and It's called Moving in Stereo. It was released in nineteen seventy eight, Oh my Gosh, the year I graduated high school, talk about Memories. It was co written by Rick Okasik and the keyboard player Greg Hawkes.
Speaker 11: And sung by bassist Benjamin Or let's have.
Speaker 18: To talk a little.
Speaker 11: We're about it after we hear.
Speaker 18: It like you.
Speaker 15: Instead likes to sing except over my.
Speaker 5: Shoes, like to say shaken, like.
Speaker 17: Travel like just sing.
Speaker 5: It's all inside.
Speaker 20: It's sos to doble your problems. It's so easy to play your breakdown. It's so easy to try to a window. It's so easy with the sound.
Speaker 21: M so ta.
Speaker 2: Together, so ta, so ta.
Speaker 15: Together, so tafone you.
Speaker 6: Say the billy stay, that's the same step, the sooner, that's the same like you say.
Speaker 22: It like.
Speaker 6: That gets out said back?
Speaker 22: Yes, nice, I like that, And I just I just decided, just now, I wish I were able to write a musical because I think at least that song and the song that Barbara.
Speaker 10: Chose would make great songs to be in the same musical. But I have to think about that kind of a lot more.
Speaker 1: That would be a challenging plot to write to connect those things.
Speaker 18: Oh but I come into my locked room and listen to stereo music, You'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Se Brian's already written it for you.
Speaker 18: There you go.
Speaker 11: I think anyway it makes it sound.
Speaker 10: I'll take the sugar Cube with the green stuff dripped on it. M that's older and more.
Speaker 3: Classic and not legal either.
Speaker 10: They have one now, they have it now that is legal, and they I guess they whatever.
Speaker 11: I guess they took the wormwood out of it or whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and now all the fun stuff is legal and I don't need it anymore.
Speaker 10: I'm upset about that, so anyway, Moving in Stereo received airplay on album oriented rock radio stations in the US, often coupled with the song All Mixed Up, which it segues into on the album. Although not released as a single except in the UK, where it was the B side of My Best Friend's Girlfriend, the song continues to receive airplay on classic rock radio stations, which is how I heard it again.
Speaker 11: Donald A.
Speaker 10: Guarisco of AllMusic described the song as one of those Car's finest experimental tracks, noting that it sounds like a new wave update of the Brian Eno era Roxy music. Classic rock history critic Brian Kachegian rated Moving in Stereo combined with All Mixed Up, as released on the albums, as the Car's all time greatest song. Classic rock history critic Emily Fagan rated it as the Car's seventh seventh best song sung by ORR, saying that it captures a sense of disorientation and anwui with or delivering lyrics that seem to drift between.
Speaker 11: Reality and a dream like stage. And last, but not.
Speaker 10: Least, Ultimate Classic Rock critic Dave Swanson rated it as the fourth best Benjamin or Cars song, saying that the atmospheric mood of the track puts the listener in a late night, post psychedelic haze. And I find it interesting that these critics said that, because I had never thought of that song before as being hypnotic, but it struck me that way when I heard it on the way home recently.
Speaker 7: I can see that being calming while you're in traffic. Yeah, give you something to focus on. And I could see.
Speaker 10: That it did something to my brain waves, which was a good thing at the time.
Speaker 7: Good, all right, I like it. Neil think.
Speaker 10: I think Neil knows something about part.
Speaker 7: Of Neil knows something about everything somehow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think all What I was mentioning was that Dave Robinson, the drummer, was originally with Jonathan Richmond and the Modern Lovers, another Boston band, And if memory serves me, that the cars were also I think came out of Boston, Yes, yes, which is actually quite a you know, quite a rock and roll. Of course New York is number one, but Boston would be a close second. Maybe San Francisco or La but right up there with all those bands.
Speaker 11: So yeah, very cool, thank you cool.
Speaker 7: I did get to meet ric Ocasek and his then wife Paulina years ago. They were as nice as could be. I just had to throw that in there.
Speaker 3: Because was she as beautiful in person?
Speaker 7: She's a supermodel. Wasn't your supermodel? You're a supermodel? So yes, okay, yeah, yeah that was They really were as nice as could be. You know, we didn't. I didn't fawn boy all over, fanboy all over. It was just you know, nice, nice to meet you all, a nice little chat and oh so it was cool. All right, thank you, Gail, Jess, what do you have for us?
Speaker 1: So the moment Gail announced the topic, I knew exactly which album I wanted to pull the song from. I just wasn't exactly sure which song. So the album is Shares It's a Man's World, and I ultimately went with the fifth track on the album called Angel's Running. So this was SHARE's twenty first studio album. It was originally released November sixth, nineteen ninety five, on WEA, which is a label of Warner Music UK, so that was the UK release. The US release happened the following year, on June twenty fifth, nineteen ninety six, on the label Reprise Records. The album peaked at number ten in the UK. It did not do quite as well in the U. It didn't sort of gain the popularity that it did in the UK. It was certified gold by the British Phonographic Industry because it sold over one hundred thousand coffees. The genre is considered soul pop, and the album followed Share signing with Warner Music UK, which she did in nineteen ninety four, and the album was recorded in London in nineteen ninety five. When the US version was released in nineteen ninety six, it included eleven of the fourteen songs on the original British album. Songs that were removed include I Wouldn't treat a dog the way You treated Me, Don't Come Around Tonight, and Shape of Things To Come. The US album also remixed five of the songs that were on the original album. For the US release, with more of an R and B influence compared to the original southern rock and blues genre that was done on the original album, including the song Angel's Running. I actually tried to find a copy of the British version of the song because I've as far as I know, I've only heard the one that we're going to hear today, and I've never heard it like differently.
Speaker 7: Well, it's on the other side of the road. You're looking in the wrong spot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I won't drive over there. We have a trip coming up soon, we have we have family over there, and I like, nope, not not.
Speaker 9: Touch in the car.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 9: You can show for me, Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Are you getting on a double decker? I have to get on a double decker.
Speaker 1: The song was originally written by Patty Larkin, which is actually so. The song is actually the title of her album, which she released in nineteen ninety three, and she had an American tour following the uh following the release of that song. So overall, the album is a collection of covers originally recorded by male singers, as well as some original pop tunes. Her vocals have been described by critics as restrained and subtle as compared to some of her other music. It was very Deep South influenced. My favorite version of Walking in Memphis is Shar's version. So like, every time I hear the song starts to come on the radio, I'll like get excited and then be like, oh yeah, this isn't SHARE's version.
Speaker 9: I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio.
Speaker 1: I think I've only ever heard it on the album, which I had on CD. Of course that was the era of that. So let's see if you guys find it as hypnotic exciting.
Speaker 23: Well, I heard enough, and I've seen enough, and I know enough.
Speaker 15: To know.
Speaker 23: A no good thing when I see it, and it's a bad thing to let go. Well, I've beard around, I beyond up and down until I bear.
Speaker 9: Din of control. With your world.
Speaker 23: All in motion, you gotta put a ball and shade of your soul, all those angels running, picking up the pieces, putting back together.
Speaker 5: Her heart's broke.
Speaker 23: Long ago, a noo bood thing. When I see it, it's a bad.
Speaker 5: Thing to let go.
Speaker 6: It will always be lovers with boarders.
Speaker 7: Of their own.
Speaker 23: You made charge of gross in the Golden chariot, but you will never.
Speaker 19: Be at home, so I have dreams.
Speaker 23: Like to start older, I.
Speaker 5: Had home black of on her.
Speaker 15: This is nothing.
Speaker 23: Listening perfect in a less stale, perfect world. All those angels from me became of the pieces putting back together her hearts broke long ago and do a good thing. When I see it, it's a bad thing to let her. All those angels Romney making up the pieces putting back together. Heartsp long ago and no good thing when I see it. It's a bad thing to let go. It's a bad thing to let go.
Speaker 5: It's a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Share is just such an incredible artist who has changed so much over the years. When you think back to her original sunny and Share days, and then you know her days on the TV show like Afternoon Spotlight thing to her time as an actress. I still love the movie Moonstruck. It's it's absolutely one of my favorites. And then to beyond this album, her next project was her nineteen ninety eight smash hit Believe, which I'm sure we've probably all heard more times than we would care to, so a lot of us are familiar with that stuff. But one interesting tidbit that I picked up going through some of this stuff was that. In the sixties, she released a soul album that was titled thirty six fourteen or three six one four. However, you want to say six Jackson Highway, Brian, any idea forty.
Speaker 7: Six fourteen Jackson Highway is the Muscle Show sound studio? Of course, of course it is. And that record was their first major gig for the Swampers when they branched out on their own, and her record was a flop and did not sell.
Speaker 1: I had never heard of it.
Speaker 7: The sheriff fan never heard of it. There you go. In fact, on that record, on the cover it says thirty six fourteen Jackson Highway. That was superimposed. You know, when they designed the building didn't have that sign on it. The graphics put it on there for the album cover, and then after they did that, they said that's a good idea, and they had a sign made up that's that thirty six fourteen. So the sign that's on the building is a knockoff of the album cover, which was fake.
Speaker 3: So when an album comes out and bombs, it isn't always bad. Has anybody heard anything from it?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: Now people listen to it and they say, well, this shouldn't have bombed. But it was you know, the story goes showed up. Sonny was still hanging on and would get in the way, so they would keep trying to find things for Sonny to do, you know, go get the hot water kind of things to get them out of everybody's hair. And you know, so and it was their first big contract, their first big gig, so I think it was kind of new for everybody's. Share was out on her own, so it was kind of new for her, and so a lot of moving parts, and I'm sure the record didn't get the promotion that it would have if it was a Sonny and Share record, you know, one of those kind of things. So but yeah, it's out there, you can get it.
Speaker 1: And actually, that's a great segue into the final thing I kind of wanted to mention. I was always curious as to why the album was called It's a Man's World. All I could find about that is one of the songs on the album is a cover of the James Brown classic. But you know, one of the things that Share has contributed is definitely, you know, female empowerment. And so before we move on to our next song, I just want to share with you a very brief clip from an interview that she did several years ago. And I hope that it inspires you as much as it does me.
Speaker 10: You said, a man is not a necessity.
Speaker 9: A man is a luxury like dessert.
Speaker 16: Yeah, a man is absolutely not necessity.
Speaker 13: Did you mean that to sound mean and bitter?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 16: Not at all. I adore dessert.
Speaker 9: I love man.
Speaker 16: I think men are the coolest, but you don't really need them to live. My mom said to me, you know, sweetheart, one day you should settle down and marry a rich man. And I said, Mom, I am a rich man. You know, my experience with men is great because I pick them because I like them. I don't need them.
Speaker 1: So I hope we all take a sense of inspiration from that, despite the title of the album, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Speaker 7: All right, Well, next time you need a jar open to you're on your own.
Speaker 1: They have tools for that, now, Yes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're called men.
Speaker 11: Are you saying men or tools?
Speaker 7: I'm not saying anything anymore.
Speaker 8: I've don't. I don't think it was complimentary though, I know.
Speaker 7: Okay, we're going to pull the escape plug and leave now and take a quick break. Thank you, Jess. That was good. Actually, I like that one. I'm not like Share is legit. I'm not knocking her, but she's not always my cup of tea. But that was actually a good one. And I think, like you said, there was that southern kind of influence.
Speaker 1: I think that's well the album is, like I feel like the whole album is has that like sort of hypnotic, almost ethereal kind of feel, and it's just it's really enjoyable and I feel like you could do meditation.
Speaker 9: To it all day long.
Speaker 7: Nice. All right, we are going to take one more quick break and we have two more selections to go, so stick around. We'll be right back.
Speaker 15: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 6: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 7: And welcome back, Mercedes. What do you have for us tonight?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I want to talk a little bit about why I picked this track for this show. When we first talked about this topic, I scribbled down in Agatta Davida rate minds right now, that's right, Incense and Peppermints and Halo of Flies by Alice Cooper, the first two we have already talked about on the show, and I tend to be a little Alice heavy, I thought I should creep looking. I did think of sounds as Silence by Disturbed, but.
Speaker 7: That's such a great version, awesome.
Speaker 3: But Gale did play that for us on another show. So when I think of a hypnotic song, I think of one that takes you for a ride, one that when its first notes start playing, you just have to stop whatever you're doing and listen, and you would never think to turn it off before it's over, or let people talk over it for that matter. It often gives you chills. For me, it usually starts with a slow build and eventually increases intensity and it just sort of flows over you like warm water. You might not even like the song that much, but it just does something to you at a molecular level. I remember once in high school when Stairway to Heaven was everywhere and I just didn't.
Speaker 11: Really like it.
Speaker 3: And then one night I woke up at about three am and I went to the kitchen and I was sitting there looking out the window at the moon, and my mother always had the radio on, and Stairway to Heaven came on, and I just sat there mesmerized, and I thought, oh my god, I get it. The song I picked for the show today sends me into a trance. It also starts with a slow build and increases in intensity.
Speaker 9: I have to.
Speaker 3: Admit I never really paid that much attention to the words because the feeling wasn't about the words. I'm not much of an instrumental music type person, and while the song does have words, it's really about the instruments for me. The song I'm talking about is Low Spark of High Heeled Boys by Traffic. Neil's wife is a mega Steve Winwood fan and I wish you were here, but I know that Neil is also a fanic and fill in anything that I leave out. Traffic was an English rock band formed in Birmingham, I should say is right No was was was in nineteen sixty seven by Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason. They began as a psychedelic rock group and diversified their sound through the use of instruments such as various types of keyboards, sitar and various reed instruments, and by incorporating jazz and improvisational tech techniques in their music. Traffic broke up in nineteen sixty nine and Windwood co formed the supergroup Blind Faith. They broke up in nineteen seventy and Winwood, Jim Capaldi, and Chris Wood reformed Traffic. They released the LP Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in nineteen seventy one, and it went platinum in the US. The title song became popular on FM album oriented radio. It was not played on AM because it's a whopping eleven minutes and forty four seconds long, and it was never released as a single. We're not even going to get to play it all here, so sorry, you'll have to go find it on your own. According to Wikipedia, it begins with a gradual fade in and ends with a slow fade out. The signature two chord piano vamp enters after the fade in, cued by the dry rasp of a fibrous slap. YEP versus are sparsely arranged with a slow, deliberate pace in D minor, contrasting with the double double time density layered pop choruses modulating to D major. The tune fades out with a dissonant, reverberating final chord sustained over the vamp. Now, I don't know much about what's going on there but I do know the chords, and I do know that something in there is dreamy, at least for me. I'm sure Brian can.
Speaker 11: Tell us about all about that.
Speaker 3: Apparently Capaldi had originally written only two verses of lyrics. He quickly wrote the third verse while Winwood was recording the song's vocal and slipped it in front of him in time to sing it.
Speaker 11: That's super impressive to me.
Speaker 3: Steve Winwood still plays his song in all all of his live shows.
Speaker 8: Deil pretty much pretty much.
Speaker 6: I've seen him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's take a trip with those high heeled boys.
Speaker 11: If you see something that lifts up the star.
Speaker 15: And it's shooting up put off the.
Speaker 14: Ground, and your head is bedding from a loud git talk.
Speaker 15: And you just can't escape from the.
Speaker 2: Sound, don't worry too much.
Speaker 22: It will happen to you.
Speaker 21: We are children once playing with toys, and nothing like you're hearing is on the sound of the lorst box.
Speaker 14: Happy boy, the per sentence you're playing the hide rice while you're leving beyond all your means.
Speaker 5: Then the man in the suit.
Speaker 9: Has just bought a new car from.
Speaker 15: The property's married on your green.
Speaker 21: But you w can't swear that the man is shocking. I have done that didn't make any nice, but it wasn't the more that the lading to rest was the last stock of hard boy.
Speaker 3: So obviously we didn't hear the whole thing, but I highly recommend it if you get a chance. If you don't know the song, which you probably do. There are many theories about the meaning of the song, but there's two main ones. One deals with drugs and the other with the music industry. When speculation is that it could be about their agents or managers or record company people. Low spark refers to the low creativity of their high healed boys or glam bands who were popular at the time, who profit from the songwriters and musicians' dreams while the artists live way too high and beyond all their means. Some say that a high heeled boy is a reference to a speedball, which is an injectable liquid cocaine and heroin black hair. Heroin was sometimes referred to on the streets as boy, likely in reference to the derogatory way Southern slavers talk to male slaves. The opposite of boy is girl, so some say the effeminate high heeled boy refers to the mixture of cocaine and the upper and heroine the downer the lyric. But today you just read that the man was shot dead by a gun that didn't make any noise. It wasn't a bullet that laid him to rest, but the low spark of high heeled boys. This could mean that the man was shooting up a speedball injection that killed him, and injection certainly wouldn't make any noise. Lots of bands in the sixties and seventies sang about drugs, the burdens of the road, and also about the disonity of the music business, like the song I did on last week's show, I Shot My Manager by Grupo Sportivo. The title refers to an inscription written by, as they say, diminutive American actor Michael J. Pollard in Jim Capaldi's notebook. While they were both in Morocco. Capaldi and Pollard were planning to work on a movie that was never filmed. Capaldi said, Michael Pollard and I would sit around writing lyrics all day, talking about Bob Dylan and the band, thinking up ridiculous plots for the movie. Before I left Morocco, Pollard wrote in my book The Low Spark of High heeled Boys. For me, it summed him up. He had this tremendous rebel attitude. He walked around in his cowboy boots, his leather jacket. At the time, he was a heavy little dude. It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The low spark for me was the spirit, high spirited, you know, standing on a street corner, the low rider, the low spark meaning that strong undercurrent at street level. That's all a quote, so don't try to correct my english, please. One reddit post said, according to Dave Mason, it literally does not mean anything. It just sounded cool, so he said he just learned that it did Dave Mason show recently. Can't can't verify that, and you know it's a reddit. So, yeah, that was my hypnotic song. I hope you were hypnotized for at least a moment or two.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a good one. That does kind of put it's.
Speaker 8: A great song. Oh yeah, it's It was funny you were mentioning about the you know, writing the lyrics as he was pretty much as he was singing it with the Capaldi kind of sliding it amongst the you know, the hardcore Windwood fans. They all know that Steve has a tendency to either forget or mix up the lyrics of his songs, and they you know, and they wait for it. They wait, especially this song that he'll mix the you know, the verses. He'll mix them up and you know, start one verse and and with another one and you know, and almost sit there and take you know, like a scorecard how many times? But I don't, I don't know about well maybe later on and in their history that you know, the use of like heroin and stuff. I don't think that was really there. They had a very narcotic sound to them, but I think it was mainly uh, you know, the smokeable kind, you know, the not not the injectable or whatever kind.
Speaker 3: In fact, my interpretation of that is that he was that it was written about that, not necessarily about right.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, yeah, because I've learned that early on too, that in there in in the you know, they had a budget. The band had a budget, and you know, and they had all the different line items and one was for apple yogurt, which was a code name for marijuana. Yeah no, yeah, it sounds gross. It was a code and yeah, so and I'm like I said, I I've seen I've seen Woodwood Now lots of times. But I actually did get to see Traffic a couple of times too. And it was in the seventies. It was, you know, the second you know, post blind Faith. The first time, I'd say it was probably in like seventy two, maybe around there, seventy one, seventy two, and I want to and it wasn't you know, they'd reformed with just the three members. There was like twenty people on stage. It was like what's they had? Everybody going on? And it was you know, they had you know, like congo players and all sorts of percussionists and whatnot. And actually that you can see that on the album cover of of Low Spark. It's like a whole a whole cast of characters.
Speaker 3: Was it good or was it was it good? Or was it started too much?
Speaker 8: It was almost too much, but it was it was good. It was. But I read or heard a story that one of the percussions Rebop at some point they were on tour and he was just like a little bit too out there with the apple yogurt and et cetera. So they kind of fired him from the band in mid tour. So they went to the next city and there he was. He showed up and they were like, what are we going to do? So yeah, so they let him, you know, and then he kept showing up like they fired him, but he kept showing up.
Speaker 7: That's what Larry David did in snl.
Speaker 8: Oh. Yeah, I guess there was some leeway there. And then I saw him again when it was it was probably their last the last album and last tour. It was nineteen seventy four, just a four piece, and that was interesting because Chris wood was he was just gone, uh you know, he was he was not he didn't even know where he was. And he had like this octave kind of octave box that he plugged his saxophone into and it would you know, add like chorus effect, you know, and make all different, you know, different effects. Anyway, so he came time for a solo, especially like you know in this uh the low spark, you know, the the main riff you know, boom boom boom, and he sat there playing with this thing and he'd like honk on the saxophone a few times, would sound really silly. He'd sit there and laugh and like try a few more things, and it was like what he and when would just at that point had the bass and drums get He just sat back, folded his arms and just stared daggers at him. Wow. And apparently that was, you know, that was the end of the band. And they did they did reform, I guess Caupouldi and Windwood in the nineties. They put together a record and they at that point Chris Wood unfortunately had succumbed to his demons, and but they they like either sampled or they copied what he used to play, so they they used some sort of you know synths, you know, synthesizer or something. So it was as close to the original as they could get at that point. And then unfortunately Caupoldi has passed away since so traffic, you know that that was the end of that. But let's say Steve Winwood and Dave Mason stuff, and they're like warring factions. They well, nobody's ever gotten along with Dave Mason from what I hear. You know, you know, he pissed off Ringo Star for Christ's sake, you know, like how kiss off Ringo Star?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 8: And his all star band. They had to kick him out because he was so annoying apparently, but but I just heard that. I'm sorry, Dave, you know. But anyway, that's the Traffic stories.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you knew. They they were working on a fourth verse that they couldn't get to Steve Winwood in time. But it started with come over and sleep in my lock base. He though, yeah, they'll vamp that every once in.
Speaker 8: A while the fans go wild, ye.
Speaker 7: But Traffic actually did only because Jess brought this up before, because I know I come back to this a lot. But Traffic has ties with Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. They like the Swampers, and they actually got them to go on tour. They hired the Swampers to go on tour with them as their backing band, and the Swampers wound up absolutely hating touring. They grew up in northern Alabama, they loved the area. They just did not have fun touring with traffic. And they realized that they were good enough that if people wanted them, they would come to their studio.
Speaker 3: And I love it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So they.
Speaker 8: Didn't have so it wasn't it wasn't it wasn't traffic per se. It was just they didn't like they didn't like the touring.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, no, Steve, Steve Wynn Wood. And then they all clicked, they all got along really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, But because Neil Woods a good guy, right.
Speaker 8: He's a little he's interesting. I guess I've actually got, you know, had, you know, opportunity to meet him a couple of times because my wife is a huge fan.
Speaker 3: So and I think I said mega fan, mega.
Speaker 8: Yes, that would probably be a better description. But yeah, like I said, she's totally jealous of the fact that I saw traffic at any point lit alone, you know, at all. But yeah, he's he's a little shy and retiring. Actually, you know, he's very you know, he's kind of timid almost. I think the way my wife describes it as like when you approach, it's like going, you know, sneaking up on a deer. You know that you want to spook them and they'll run. And yeah, I actually I think I did scare him once. But that's a whole nother story. I tell it real quick. It was after a show in New York and we saw him come out of the door and he was like walking down this, you know, where there were the tour buses. They were kind of end to end, and he was walking around to get to the front. And of course my wife is like, she's hot footing it all, you know, and she's never going to catch up. So I saw in between, you know, where the trailer hitch of the one bus was, you know, so I just kind of climbed up there in the middle, jumped up and I kind of jumped down and I said, he's not going to be and I jumped right in front of him. Yeah, he was like, and I was like, oh no, I'm sorry. I just wanted to I want to ask you if you could wait, you know, get an autograph from my wife. And he was like, oh yeah, just a moment, you know.
Speaker 7: I can't let me change my cataloon. I'll be right with you.
Speaker 8: Get how did you move that fast? You're like it, you know, like a shape shift or something. You know, how did you get there so quickly?
Speaker 11: Is that what he said?
Speaker 8: No, That's what I said to himself. There was no way any you know, you know, a regular human just walking in a normal speed would would get around that fast. So I figured in the moment of the past.
Speaker 7: He's trying to make a quit, quick escape. And then we got Spider Man over here, jumping over.
Speaker 8: Not not not one of my better moments, but you know, got.
Speaker 7: The job done. I'll give you that.
Speaker 3: You gotta do what you gotta do for your wife.
Speaker 7: Only quivering Steve Winwood autograph.
Speaker 8: Because yeah, yeah, but anyway.
Speaker 7: All right, yeah, that's a good one that's worth listening to, and seeing him live is definitely worth it if you get the chance. One more to go. So I had trouble with this topic. Yes, so a few months ago I wound up kind of rediscovering an old song that I used to like, and he came back because it popped up on Spotify every once in a while, they get things right. And then Gail had suggested the topic and I racked my brain. This is one that we had in advance, and you know, I was narrowing down the list. I'm like, no, it's you know, these songs are better for something else. And then I realized that, especially if I'm taking a short ride somewhere, I kind of gravitate back to this one song, and I realized, well, that's it. This is the one, you know, because it's the right length for a quick car ride, it's it's the right mood and all that. And let's see if you agree with me. The story behind this group just happens to be one of the most straightforward, uncomplicated, wholesome, trouble free success stories I think I've ever heard. I'm talking about the Bellamy brothers. I don't know if anybody's familiar with them. They're actual brothers. Homer Howard Bellamy was born in nineteen forty six. Anybody named Homer is fine with me right off the back, you were going to say that absolutely. His brother, David Milton Bellamy, was born in nineteen fifty. They are from Dade City, Florida. Their father was a big fan of country music and played it in the house all the time, and he also played in a Western swing band, and their sister was into rock and roll, so they had good exposure from a young age kind of across the spectrum, which that's the way to go with kids. Neither brother has had formal training in music. They both taught themselves the guitar, the banjo, and the mandolin. David went on to also learn the keyboard and piano. Accordion and fiddle, because I guess he had the time. Their first real gig was with their father at what was then known as the Rattlesnake Roundound up in San Antonio, Florida, not San Antonio, Texas. It's now the Rattlesnake Festival, which is an outdoor festival, and they are actually appreciative of rattlesnakes as opposed to actually rounding them up like they used to, because rattlesnakes are not evil monsters. That's a topic for another show. They focused on cover tunes, like a lot of youngsters do when they start out. They were best known locally for their version of Whiter Shade of Pale, Proclaherum and My Girl Temptations. They wound up getting booked at local dances and events. They started calling themselves the Accidents, which is an okay kind of band name. Then they changed it to the Heterogeneous Grouping, which is not.
Speaker 11: A good like.
Speaker 7: No. Imagine you're the guy that's got to put that up on the billboard one letter at a time. How many times you have to move that ladder to go all the way, and.
Speaker 3: You have to remember it long enough to get up on the ladder and actually you have to.
Speaker 7: Spell it right. You got to, you know, bring a little post it with you, stick it to your h e h.
Speaker 8: And it didn't fit on the bass drumhead, you know exactly Listen.
Speaker 10: Was that when I was in middle school there was a high school band that came to play at our dances and they were called peristalsis.
Speaker 11: Oh my yes?
Speaker 7: And where are they now?
Speaker 11: Don't know?
Speaker 7: So the group wound up getting booked around Florida and Georgia, but they did not enjoy playing the club circuit, so they moved back home. The Bellamies had written a song called Spiders and Snakes, which wound up being a hit in nineteen seventy four for Jim Stafford, who is somebody I will talk about another time. He's a TV host, singer, songwriter. He was a writer for the Smothers Brothers comedy Hour The Reboot in the nineteen eighties when they brought it back. Point being that the success of that song gave the Bellamies the money to move to Los Angeles to pursue their music career, and Howard Bellamy became Jim Stafford's road manager, So that was their big foot in the door. The Bellamy Brothers got signed to Curb Records. Their biggest hit, which is the one that we're going to hear in a little bit, is called let Your Love Flow. It was a number one hit in nineteen seventy six in the United States and more than a dozen countries around the world. The song was written by Neil Diamond's roadie Larry Williams and Neil's drummer Dennis Saint. John's connected the song with the Bellamies. Between the two, Neil Diamond had turned it down first because he didn't think it was a good fit for him. Johnny Rivers passed on it as well. Believe it or not, Howard and David recorded it using Neil Diamond's band because no bad blood between anybody, and they said it took maybe two or three takes and they were done. That was it, so they didn't have to go back and find tune everything. They just kind of nailed it. It made it onto the country chart as well, and the Bellamy Brothers really wanted to go in that direction, more of the country direction, so they had their country breakthrough with a song that was inspired by a Groucho Marx double entendre. If I said you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
Speaker 11: That's me.
Speaker 7: Again, A story for another time.
Speaker 3: I can I just say that there's a Britney Spears song like that, and my kids when they heard it, they were really loving that song. And I was like, you don't even know where this skimes from.
Speaker 8: You don't even know what.
Speaker 7: Which is for the best because when they get older and they go oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, just let them enjoy the music.
Speaker 7: Let's it sit back and one day that light bulb will go bing. And agreed totally. So. The Bellamy Brothers have so far released over fifty five zero albums, which is pretty amazing. They've charted over fifty songs, with twenty of them being number one country. They had a TV show called honky Tonk Ranch that aired for three seasons. It followed them and their family around. The two brothers, their kids, and their grandkids all live on a two hundred acre ranch in Darby, Florida. They still do about two hundred shows a year all around the world. They donate a lot of time and money to charity. I couldn't find anything controversial about them, any bad stories. The only thing that even comes close. If you have a problem with this is that they partnered with a medical cannabis company to produce a line of products called Old Hippie Stash Get the double meeting. One of them has this. That's the only that's not even a negative thing anymore. I don't think you know so that is it. But this song, I think what grabbed me. It's very straightforward, very straightforward chord progressions, keeps a great beat. The baseline is what kind of grabs my attention because I'm kind of partial to that. It toes the line between like if you want a country feel great, a rock feel that's fine, if you want to sit back and be mellow, if you want to get up and move about. It's it's kind of like rides right down the middle. So depending on what mood you're in or where you want to go, the song just kind of seems to fit everything. So that's why it is my choice for a hypnotic songs. So this is Let Your Love Love by developed Me Brothers came out nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: Or the sound Shots God, there's a reason.
Speaker 17: Wow, I'm feeling so hot must be the season when that little life shine.
Speaker 22: It's all abound.
Speaker 17: When that feeling grab you.
Speaker 5: De inside and.
Speaker 2: Where you love.
Speaker 7: Through the moon.
Speaker 6: Just let your love.
Speaker 2: I came out the stream and let your love broad with the smarts dreams, and.
Speaker 5: Let your love show, and you'll know what I mean. It's the season.
Speaker 6: Let your love flies. I came back on the fame and.
Speaker 17: Let your love.
Speaker 15: To all other.
Speaker 18: Things, and let your love.
Speaker 5: Shot, and you'll know what I mean. That's the reason.
Speaker 17: There's a reason or the one sweet slives and there's a reason or the candow lights must be the season when thows love rides shine all around us.
Speaker 2: So let that wonder take you into your space, and lady wonder, it's lovely embrass, just till the thunder as.
Speaker 5: If wants your face. If you can't hold back.
Speaker 15: Just let your love.
Speaker 5: I came out down the stream and let your love blow with the smallness of dreams, and let you love show, and you'll know what I mean. It's the season.
Speaker 6: Let your lovely lock and burn out the wing, and let you love line you do all maving things, and let.
Speaker 18: Your love shine, and you'll know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's the reason.
Speaker 6: Just let your love.
Speaker 5: I am out down the stream.
Speaker 15: And left your lot brow with the smallest.
Speaker 5: Of dreams and left your love show. And you'll know, I.
Speaker 7: Saw the spark of recognition after the first verse kicked in that I know who didn't recognize the title?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I thought so, But then when I heard it, I was like, oh, okay, yeah, I wasn't quite sure.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, there were some heads bob in there. So that's just it's the right length, it's the right mood to take it in any direction you kind of want to go. So I just keep coming back.
Speaker 8: As I mentioned that when this came out, it was probably the antithesis of what I was listening to at the time, But I totally understand and and and now, and you know, years later, I can see why it was like such a hit. It's like, it's like the perfect pop song really or country whatever you wanted to be exactly.
Speaker 7: It's got a little bit of everything, you know.
Speaker 10: Not only that back then on AM radio, which is what some of us were still listening to at that point. On AM radio, they were playing all different genre of music. You could hear led Zeppelin and then hear Johnny Cash, you know, which means their segues weren't very good. But but yeah, so you would hear all different genres of music on the same station.
Speaker 11: And in what year did we say?
Speaker 7: This was seventy six?
Speaker 10: Seventy six, I was sixteen years old, so you know, I was at the perfect age for that.
Speaker 11: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: I was two, so I didn't know who the Bellamie Brothers were.
Speaker 8: But up, you don't want to know how old.
Speaker 3: Neither?
Speaker 7: All right, Well, Gail, you made me do my homework this week, and I enjoy it. Yeah, I like this kind of stuff. Awesome. So any final thoughts or anything before we wrap it up. Everybody's going to go meditate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay, stay hypnotic, everybody, that's right, right.
Speaker 7: You know what, Jess should come do a yoga lesson for us one of these shows. Just talk us through it and we'll put some of these songs on in the background.
Speaker 9: I don't pretend to be an instructor, you know.
Speaker 7: I don't pretend to know how to do anything. I'm just going to keep falling over and we're not going to point and laugh.
Speaker 1: There's so much work you can do without even standing up, so you don't have the option to fall over.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they have yoga, I understand.
Speaker 9: That's not.
Speaker 8: At my age. I'll you know, I try to do I'll break a hip, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when you say chair, the chair I have has a lever on the side. You pull it in your feet, go blink and does that count?
Speaker 8: Lazy boy exactly?
Speaker 7: I tried. All right, that's our yeah I am, that's our our signal to pull the plug and today, thank you again Gil.
Speaker 9: Leave the exercise for another time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, We'll talk about that another time. Yep. Thank you all for joining us here for the Rock and Roll History Show. Great job, Crambones. As always, don't forget to subscribe to The Rock and Roll History Show in your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do here at Hudson River Radio. There is a little sum for everybody. We'll be back next week with another brand new show. Until then, have a great weekend everybody, and peace out.
Speaker 3: A rock cock bottom okay bye.
Speaker 7: Hudson River Radio dot com a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful the multi hundred dollars Corporation