Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome you this time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust, and it's being brought to you by Arnold Moore and Hee Camp Funeral Homes. We have the Salvation Army in with us. Veronica and Michelle, Welcome ladies. How are we doing today?
Speaker 2: Pretty good?
Speaker 1: Good? Well, considering everything, I guess we're could counter lucky stars when we're not in Florida or other places that have been affected by prior hurricanes. But I understand that the Salvation Army is busy and ready to help absolutely.
Speaker 2: Our commanding officer, Lieutenant Tonya Swayin, who you met just a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but on and off. Yeah, we've been seeing each other for about a year. Her and Luke.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is on her way out to Florida either today if not latest on Saturday. Oh wow, along with another team, some other teams from around the Oklahoma Arkansas area.
Speaker 1: Wow. What would they be doing down there? You know?
Speaker 2: Spiritual care of course, meals we you know, specialize in getting meals out to those who cannot they don't have the services or utilities in their home to be able to get a hot meal. So that's what they're going to be doing. They'll find like a warehouse and then load all of these rovers up with meals and send them out into communities.
Speaker 1: Oh that is that is a godsend. That's really what that's all about. I've lived in Florida I think for about ten years, and every time the storm would roll through, of course, all the TV cameras who are there and people who are watching the thing on TV. Oh I want to go through a hurricane. No you don't, because after all that blowing and destruction goes through, well the TV can leave, but you know what, it takes about two to three years even start to build back from the rip that goes through there. And of course the Salvation Army knows that because we put people on the ground, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they already went out with Hurricane Helen Helene and over it says over three hundred and thirty thousand meals have been served from the Salvation Army for that for that hurricane.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, And you know that's a mess because no one ever figures that a hurricane's going to go up into the mountains, I know. And that is a special kind of wow. And it's always nice to know that our Salvation Army is there. And then with your different Salvation Armies locally, you're able to take people like Lieutenant Kanya and actually share in the helping hands of the communities that are affected. That is that is incredible. How can people here help the Salvation Army with this?
Speaker 2: So to donate locally here they can call the Salvation Army office at nine eight three three six six four five four. There is a way to donate online as well, and if they put in the memo line Hurricane Helene or Hurricane Milton, one of those donations go to those victims and act it.
Speaker 1: And I want to remind you of everybody that with the Salvation Army, the overhead is very very very very little because many people work for the black Shoes and and if if you know what I mean, you know what I mean, If you don't, please look it up because it'll be well worth your read. There's not a whole lot of overhead now, and this is all about being the hands and feet of absolutely the higher beings and taking care of business. So there we go. We've got the Red Kettle kickoff coming out. No, this is a lot of fun. Miche I here, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: This is the first time that I know of that since I've been I've only been with the Salvation Army for three years and this would be the first time that they're having a dinner since I've been here, and so COVID. Yeah, yes, So it's going to be a big event and that is coming.
Speaker 2: Up November seventh at the Adams Boulevard Church of Christ. And again they can purchase tickets at the Core or call us. They're thirty five dollars per person and we would love to have you. We've got the guest speaker is John Kine.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, this is going to be fun because, first of all, the Adams Boulevard Church of Christ, it's right there by the water towers. Hot, warm and cold can't us, but they have a wonderful facility and it can hold lots of people and that kitchen facility is wizing. So yeah, you're you're really set in the stage here for a grand kickoff, and this is really going to be nice. John McCain is a great speaker, and he comes from the heart, and I think this is where this all lies, is from the heart, yes, correct.
Speaker 2: And the red kettle kickoff, you know, basically starts where when you know, getting the message out there of you know, in front of the stores, ringing the bells, hoping that you know, we can get some volunteers, and the reason behind and why we do what we do with those kettles.
Speaker 1: Now, the getting the ringers is something else too, because every town has a couple of what they call money kings. I mean, they just know how to do it. They actually put on a show. I saw one of the guys at Walmart and I'm like, going, dude, what kind of vitamins you want? I said, Vitamin God, let's go.
Speaker 2: Also, yes, we have some volunteers out here that are just awesome. And especially when they volunteer as a group there's two three of them. They bring music, they have you know, they're showing that they want to be there and they're enjoying it, and that that draws people in. They're like, what's going on over here? Why are they having so much fun?
Speaker 1: Well, you know that that it's the old standard. You know, if you see somebody having fun, you're gonna be curious and you're gonna be checking it soon. Next thing you know you're having fun, then somebody else is gonna waterway. Well, why is he having so much fun? Right? You know? Less of course it's your spouse, and they'll put a quick stop for that. But I'm sorry that the wrong thing, wrong, wrong format. Anyway, this is this is where we raise funds for a good part of the upcoming year.
Speaker 2: Correct, yes, it's it finds a lot of what we do throughout the year, Social services, the food pantry. Michelle has some programs that she works with as well.
Speaker 1: Michelle Lace laying on this. What kind of programs you got?
Speaker 3: So I run the children's program? Oh wow, and is an after school program. Kids are there, We pick them up from school and they're they're in the evenings while their parents are at work. And then I have a senior program. Seniors come in once a week and we provide a warm meal for them, play games, give them prizes, just have a good time, have a good time, get them out of the house.
Speaker 1: Best kept secret clubhouse in the world.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: A lot of people do not realize this. I didn't realize this until I became a senior. You never really change. You're still basically a nine year old kid with this outer body. It's like what happened here? But you know, but you still looking for fun and you're still looking to be social. And I think a lot of people who are kind of between thirty and fifty got it all wrong and they really just don't know the psychological aspect of it all. We're all the same. But it takes money to keep those things going.
Speaker 3: And the red kettle, if I'm correct, the money goes into Bartlesfield, right, it stays in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it stays home. Yeah, that's the good part.
Speaker 2: Everything raised locally stays locally.
Speaker 1: No, some technology has come upon us here over the last five to ten years where people don't really carry cash or or change for that matter. That's a rarity to find change in somebody's pocket, I know, except for me anyway, I ever get. But we've got ways to take care of it. Because people use their debit cards or credit cards. Do we have that kind of way to take care of those transactions on the kettles?
Speaker 2: You know, We've tried different things where there was kettles where they could scan a card or things like that. I'm not sure what's going to happen this year, how they're going to handle it.
Speaker 1: We shall wait and see.
Speaker 2: We are gonna wait and see. But for sure, you know they'll be out there with with the bucket. I'm just not sure if it's gonna have the technology to scan the cards.
Speaker 1: I like the sound of the clank, especially when I don't know who that person is who keeps dropping the gold coins around here, But clank, boy, you hear that, and that's a mighty sound because you know that that that that's something that's ringing troup for your community. Absolutely, and of course, you know, I'll put some dollars in there because I kind of like to, you know, put that in after you hear the clank. It's kind of like the applause. So put into a couple of half dollars or quarters. Here's the big clank, and then it's like, yeah, you're twenty years and fifty there.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That's the applause for the clank. I hope other people kind of, you know, follow the suit and do that would be okay.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Barnsville is an amazing community. Is it a very generous, very generous.
Speaker 1: It's kind of uprising. I've lived in a lot of other places and I've not ever witnessed a community like this, and believe me, it only took me about four hours of being here to decide. You know, I'm gonna be a Barshe because the people are so nice.
Speaker 2: The support that we have and the support you see throughout the community, it is amazing. I don't know that I've ever seen anything like it, and the other you know, not that I've lived in a lot of other communities, but it is unique.
Speaker 1: Oh, it truly is. Now with your programs you were talking about with the seniors and with the kids and things like that, if folks are interested in learning more, can we just go to the website or do you have a Facebook page that explains Facebook page?
Speaker 3: Website and then call our number.
Speaker 1: That phone still works.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's a good thing to know because although you know, the world changes, it's still a piece of all of us that would like to hear a voice on the other end of that telephone.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you should type it in your question. You just ask it and someone's going to be there to take care of it all.
Speaker 2: Especially for her target audience, oh, seniors, it's easy for them to pick up the phone and I RB one right, tell them come pick me up, and that's she does. There's several of the seniors. She goes around Bartisville and Dewey to pick them up and brings them back to the Core. So if they want so, even if they don't have a ride, they can call her and she'll come pick them up.
Speaker 1: I imagine there's some lively conversations going. I imagine there is some bodies.
Speaker 3: We have to remind them to calm down.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, you know, once a giggle starts going in a car, it don't stop, doesn't So once again. You're right there at the Citadel and that's located on Bucy right.
Speaker 2: Yes, one O one North Bucy Avenue, and our phone number is nine three three six six four five four.
Speaker 1: I want to thank both of you ladies for coming in here today and letting us know how we can help with the disaster relief and to make sure that we get our preparations and our reservations and our RSVPs all ready to go for the red kettled cookoff that's coming up on November seventh.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming in, thank you for having us, Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: We sories open for the Salvation. Our pre needs are completely transferable in the United States, from funeral home to funeral home.