Speaker 1: Hey, quiet on the set. We got a real guy here. That's the one and only Mariachi Joe Kelly on a bullpen day. Joe, thanks a lot for the time. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: A real person. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you having me on. It's the least I could bring to the team right now, besides positive vibes, you know, give them the boys confidence and you know I'm gonna be down there in the pen tonight with them. I am every game. It's been fun to watch obviously this postseason ride. Obviously I wish I was involved in a part of it, but you know, I like to try to help the team in any way I can, whether it's you know, some during San Diego, I was trying to look at their pictures see who their tendencies are. So it's just been things here and there. I wouldn't say, obviously any type of coaching, but I'm just here to bring the light the more fun of the baseball aspect during obviously a serious time.
Speaker 1: What's it like in a game like this, not only for Joe Kelly but all those guys in that bullpen. What's the mood and how different is it than a normal game?
Speaker 3: Uh, I think we enjoy it more obviously when you're having a regular start right the the score, the situation, the the length of your start of that night kind of dictates the game in one of these games. For a bulben game, knowing that you're gonna be a part of it at some point, you kind of know your role throughout the day, throughout the evening. You know, score doesn't dictate it as much because the same guys will throw no matter what. You know, maybe just in a different order or a different time, but knowing you're gonna be able to pitch that day and play and be a big role, I think the boys definitely enjoyed a little bit more. Obviously, if you're doing throughout the season, you know every fourth game you get tired, but there's there's there's no complaining.
Speaker 2: When it's a playoff game.
Speaker 1: It feels like not only yourself, but other guys in that bullpen have described those relief pitchers as a group of dogs that really want in badly. Have you ever been part of a bullpen like that?
Speaker 2: Every year's divin.
Speaker 3: Obviously the talent you have sometimes can match the talent we have here, but you know when you bring the quality of character and plus talent, plus friendships on and off the field kind of irreplaceable.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things where it's everyone says that the teammates that they're their brothers or you know, they're they're all there. Everyone likes each other. But down in our bullpen, uh, we have that. Plus we have the love from the position players, the starters. Usually bullpen guys are kind of isolated, right, and then the playoffs, you know everyone recognizes them, oh wow, like they help us win. But from day one here in this organization, this year, this spring training, we've kind of been recognized throughout the whole season.
Speaker 2: Our teammates have appreciated it. You know.
Speaker 3: You I've been on teams where you know you could do your job and like you said, break records, throw thirty three scorers in the postseason, and you know push some players could just shower and go home.
Speaker 2: Here, it's it's embraced.
Speaker 3: We're recognized, and you know, you want to be involved with your team, right, but you know you want everyone to notice, you know, when you're bringing your a game or when you're providing beginnings and big moments. And to have position players of our caliber who recognize it and you know kind of like, you know, we're wouldn't be here without the bullpen type thing. It goes a long way and it makes you not try harder, but like I said, it makes you feel more involved with the team, and you know, team wins become that much more fun and it brings a group together a lot more.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is our guest, obviously tough for him to watch, but certainly being involved to help his teammates during this postseason run. How about the offense, Joe, I mean, these guys have really started to come together. Can you see from your vantage point how unselfish they're at bats are and how they're playing for each other.
Speaker 2: They've been.
Speaker 3: There's times where they would say that they've throughout the whole entire season right now the postseason where it's like, man, that's bad often today, or we throw away at bats after the fifth or after a big lead we're down. It's easy to give up kind of at bats and turn into a selfish player. But the fight that our guys have is has been pretty cool to watch. You know, yeah you might strike out, yeah you might pop up with the guy in the third.
Speaker 2: Lesson two but the.
Speaker 3: Consistency throughout our lineup from top to bottom of the focus and the intensity of you know, trying to one make a pitch of work, and number two when they throw a strike, you know do damage, you know, because you can throw, you get behind accounts, walk guys, and then some guy could jump ship and you get a first pitch double play and it ruins the whole offense. Right and right now, we're not doing that. We're still taking pitches. We're still trying to, you know, fight with two strikes. You know, throughout the year you might see guys one, two and you know, swinging for the fence, trying to strike out. And it's been kind of a different kind of mentality where you know it might be down six runs at this point, but we'll get guys on first and second and you know we're still not working at bat.
Speaker 2: If I get out, I get out.
Speaker 3: But usually you see other teams we would just swing first pitch and get out and you know, kind of kill the inning. So it's been impressive to watch. It's hard to do as a player, obviously, when.
Speaker 2: You're trying to win a World Series or a championship.
Speaker 3: It's easy to play for your teammates, but I think we've been doing it, you know, a little bit before the playoffs even started, so we've been in that mindset.
Speaker 1: Joe, love catching up with you. You know, the city loves you, and obviously I know it hurts not being part of this, but it sounds like you're trying to do everything you can to help your team out because you obviously are one of the best teammates out there. So thanks a lot for the time. And baseball isn't boring.
Speaker 2: Baseball is not boring. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 1: DV my guy, Joe Kelly, my third favorite Kelly in that family. We'll send it back to you in the studio. Tim