Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of May something For this week of May nineteenth, we are continuing with Running Point on Netflix with episode nine the playoffs.
Speaker 3: We saw this coming, entirely predictable, player tested against it.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 1: Could they have made it more arbitrary either. It's not even that she cheated with the coach. It's just of all the times that you have not done what I have hoped you would do, this is the time I'm drawing the line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, of all the times you've been flaky or missed something, and they established that these two have been together for like seven years or.
Speaker 1: Some and out of all the times, I say, I understand that you have a lot going on. So if you don't make it, it's okay. This is the time, it's not going to be okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't true. Yeah.
Speaker 1: From a parenting point of view, it reminded me of my mom and the mother daughter dinner. When I was a kid, had to go to the mother daughter dinner every year at church. It was no negotiable. Got that I graduate, go to college, live away from home. I graduate college and go to Kansas City and live away from home. I come back and I'm living in my parents' house again, and there's a mother daughter dinner, and once again I have to go. At this point even less interested than I was when I was a kid and a person in high school. So this one time, here comes the dinner. And I was participating in a community choir and it was getting kinda close to concert times, and it was the same rehearsal as the same night as the dinner. And I said, Mom, I'm sorry, I absolutely can't go. I have to be at this rehearsal. It's very important. I have to be at this rehearsal. And she was hurt, as moms are, but I was non negotiable about it. I have to be at this rehearsal, It's no question about it. I can't go to the dinner. Well, then that night I hear that a friend of mine has had let's just say, a mental health crisis and is in the hospital, and a bunch of us are going to go visit her. So we blow off the practice to go visit her in the hospital. And when my mom hears this, she reacts about the way the leve reacted here, which is a you know, the thing that's important to me is not important to you, and that is unforgivable, right, And I'm like, well, but my friend almost died, that's an important thing. I had to go. It doesn't matter, you know, doesn't matter that you're taking the guy to rehab, which is the right thing to do, and terrible thing's gonna happen if you didn't. Doesn't matter. This is where I have drawn the line in the sand. And I don't care what your reasons were right. The thing that is important to me is not important to you, and that is irreparably hurtful. Right, So I feel for Ilah because I've been not She was as nice as yours, honey. But I understand where you're coming from, and I guess I can see his point of view too, because boy with guy in trouble for quite some time, possibly never got back from that. I don't know I moved. I think I moved out of the house. It's not too long afterwards, because it's like this bleep I am done with, right, But I mean, now that I'm a mom, I can see. Yeah, but it's the mother daughter dinner. It's the thing we do every year. It's our mother daughter and is all rights on this? Why won't you go with me? Why don't you care? So yeah, you know, I can see it, But in a TV show, in a sitcom, it's spectacularly annoying. Don't do that. Stop stop stop stop. There will be another mother daughter dinner next year. You can go to that one.
Speaker 2: Right, another Pediatrician of the Year award.
Speaker 1: You should have given away her cake. The cake, but she trying to get there, she just went to the wrong place. It's not like she just you know, didn't show up at all.
Speaker 3: I know, well, it's just one of those, and I've heard them all, and it just doesn't seem in keeping with what we have seen of his character thus far.
Speaker 4: Or of their relationship or her relationship.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess they're trying to make the point that, like, you know, her life changed a lot because she got this job.
Speaker 1: But that could have been an ongoing conversation throughout the season.
Speaker 4: Right, And it could have been I mean, she said.
Speaker 1: She was going to convert and then she changed her mind, and he was like, oh what else? Oh but this you waited a piece of chocolate cakee. This is where I draw a line, clearly, clearly what needs to happen is that she needs to stand up in the middle of a game and sing Taylor swiat seeing some tailors, and that will make it all all right. That is a very sitcomy moment, which I entirely ate up with a spoon like a piece of chocolate cake. I am there for that, And if Charlie had not turned into a puddle of tears, I would have been done with him, right, But of course he did so, and I sort of liked that half the half the auditorium was was booing and half of them was singing along. Right America at twenty twenty five, this is where we're at. I absolutely believe that would happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sure very cute.
Speaker 3: And happy to see Sandy and his hair being recited with their.
Speaker 1: Now can he do something with that hair? Charlie, Come on, you've worked with Doc exactly what. I'm sure you can make his whatever that is going on, or just take him aside and say.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, no, if we're going to be back together, I'm going to insist on some things.
Speaker 1: Or maybe he just like the tossile hair look from dogs. You know, he was a good boy. That's what happened. That's how you get that hair. Yeah, I don't know, but I'm glad that that at least worked out and Jackie uh sort of broke her the deal and then got left out at the end. But I was really hoping when he said make the reservation for four, that Sandy had gone and figured out how to make things right with the girl and then they could.
Speaker 4: But no, that was too much.
Speaker 1: That would have been too much into a TV show. And also Sandy is not that guy. No, he is far too That would have required him paying attention and caring, which is not going to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I did think at least maybe he was thinking like, oh, and you can invite you know whoever, she doesn't know who it is.
Speaker 1: No, he was so is he said he only had one date with her. So is that the dancer is the dancer the guy's daughter.
Speaker 4: No, I think the guy's daughter is one of the.
Speaker 1: Another single date. Okay, yes, all right.
Speaker 3: One of the people who got in his DMS and just was.
Speaker 1: Like, hey, well, yeah, if I wrote down the name the time he said at fifty two times, we'll know when she.
Speaker 2: Comes back to finally get back together, which she.
Speaker 1: I know it's coming back for next season, but you have to tie up that loophole. Yes, and if you are not going to be bringing Max Greenfield back next season, I want to see him dance before this season is over.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this has been talked up across the internet, so somebody.
Speaker 1: Yes, his ability to move needs to be demonstrated. He can do a dance and sing Taylor Swift to her, you know.
Speaker 4: But she doesn't deserve that he needs, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean should she have not taken Travis to rehab to see?
Speaker 2: Is she the only person who could take Travis to reham?
Speaker 1: I guess I think in this scenario, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, it'd be law of economy of characters.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is, and she is proving that she is not like her family, Yes, by being caring and doing the thing and not ponting this off to somebody else. But uh ah, I don't know. It's a sitcom. What do you want? I want? I want everybody to be happy as you got one more episode?
Speaker 4: Mm hm, got one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like you said, this was, you know, another classic case of I'm not going to be like my parent.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yes, and as.
Speaker 3: We've said before, try to raise your children in such a way that they do not have this response to your yes, to your actions, right, and they will go to mother daughter dinners with you. But also you have to be the kind of parent who acknowledges like oh, a friend had a crisis, like you need to be there for the front, you know, not to not to slag on your mom.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I think if I had not gone to such great lengths to argue the essentialness of the.
Speaker 2: Squire, Yes, exactly it would have been.
Speaker 1: So I sort of did my own self in but oh man, she was a bit of a handful anyway. Yeah. So that's from a parenting point of view, you don't want your kids to grow up to think that what they want to be is the opposite of who you are, because they're not going to be able to They're not going to escape. I'm just as over controlling and overbearing as my mom, right, And if somebody, if somebody did that to me, I probably he would make them suffer.
Speaker 2: So and it was counselman Jeremy jam that got yes changed her.
Speaker 4: Mind because he used the word horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, nice to see him again, I guess. But and uh, there was a lot of talk about doing the wrong things to get the right result or the right doing the right thing having the wrong result, or the right thing having the right result. I don't know, maybe just don't think about it. So doing the wrong thing sometimes brings the right result is classic self justification. Yes, not, whatever I want to do, even if it's bad, is righteous. So and if it doesn't bring the right result, well then I tried. And if he does, then I'm a good person. But in this case, I guess the right thing brought the wrong results if you consider her relationship to be a result. So it's hard when you're hard to navigate that with kids. Yes, from a parenting point of view, sure that you know. Sometimes you have to do the right thing no matter what, even when it appears that if you've done something else, things would have worked out better. Yeah, and then you have to remember that yourself exactly stinks.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Easy forgiveness also a big issue. That's how much when you know your kid has done something goodheartedly and yet they have done something that is not acceptable? How do you navigate that? Yeah, it's difficult, and it happens a lot.
Speaker 3: And where usually Taylor Swift cannot solve the problem for you, it would work for me.
Speaker 1: My kids should know that. But yeah, it's not as easy as that, as lovely as it would be to just be able to if you ever had to make a grand gesture like that is does that only happened in TV shows or people actually do that? Really?
Speaker 2: I can't I can't think of anything.
Speaker 3: I think I'm much too inclined to just be like, oh, well that didn't work, relationship didn't work, whatever, didn't happen, and uh, you know, there's nothing I can. I'm like very just resigned, you know, like I wouldn't I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, sometimes you try to do those grand gestures with your kids and oftentimes they just don't get it, you know, like I'm going to reward you by getting you this very expensive vacation. We're gonna go to Disneyland, and they're like, I really just wanted to have that toy, right, It's like or I really just wanted to have this thing with my friend and you said, no, you can't make it up by doing something big.
Speaker 2: Write something completely different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but what a screwed up bunch of people.
Speaker 2: These are another classics that come move.
Speaker 4: Huh that's right.
Speaker 1: See, she could have just called Travis's mom and had him come and take him. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she would have been there in a heart beat, although she might have recrimination.
Speaker 1: See I was right. Yeah I should have stayed you were wrong.
Speaker 4: Maybe she would.
Speaker 3: Have, you know, like I'll keep him sober through the playoffs and then yeah, probably that would have probably been her move, Like I'm gonna make it so we can all have our ca I can mean it too, right, Yes, I think would have been her response.
Speaker 1: Well, of things that really matter, not but still filled me with delight. That scene from the wedding Singer that Sandy watched. I have watched that scene an embarrassing number of times. It keeps coming up from me on YouTube, and I just love it. Starting when Adam Sandler is talking with all the first class passengers, including Billy Idol just because yes, and then he starts singing this song. He notices that she's on the plane and it's so sweet yes, and gave Sandy a pretty good idea.
Speaker 3: As it turns out, Adam Sandler noted romantic Yes.
Speaker 1: Anytime that pops up on YouTube, I am watching it just because so cute.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: The bad guy gets locked in a plane bathroom to the rescue.
Speaker 2: Right, good times for everyone.
Speaker 1: Also, I believe there was a Macaulay culkinsigning, Oh, who is the husband of Brenda song who plays Ali. They were just showing the crowd, various people in the crowd. I appreciate it's him.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm gonna have to go back, and.
Speaker 1: I guess during uh, during Sandy's.
Speaker 2: Song, Well, that would be fun little easter.
Speaker 1: Raight, Yeah, come visit your wife at work day, right wife or significant female mother at work day for both of.
Speaker 3: You know, well, I guess no, he doesn't play he doesn't play Ali's spouse.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like for both.
Speaker 4: The character and yeah, yeah, no, I don't think so, not quite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we had to have this thing with them breaking up, I'm glad that anything that happens with the coach is going to happen after that and not before that. I'm glad it wasn't reason for it, even though the reason for it was really lame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: You have to find out if that actor has his contract renewed, the one who plays the coach, because he's supposed to be leaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look up and see which of these two gentlemen is still in the.
Speaker 4: Cast for season.
Speaker 1: Will tell us a lot, Yeah, because it's.
Speaker 2: Not like Lost, where anything can happen and flash back.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Yeah never.
Speaker 1: But so, so, do you think that they're gonna gonna win the championship?
Speaker 3: Well, I think they're going to It's going to be down to the last minute, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty likely.
Speaker 3: I think that's something we can predict with confidence.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep. And we didn't see any of scheming older other in this episode. No, correct, So uh, he's gotta they have to pay off that, yes, at some point, which would have to be this episode. So this coming episode. So what is this coming episode called?
Speaker 2: It is called Game seven.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, they've been They've gone to town with these last few episode names.
Speaker 2: You know, I know some of them.
Speaker 3: Early on were Game seven so complicated and hard to pronounce.
Speaker 1: They just a little better than Pilot, but still it's like they have two people who do the names, and one of them is incredibly on the nose and the other is doing things that that podcasters will have to pronounce it.
Speaker 2: I'll struggle.
Speaker 1: I'll take the Game seven, thank you, Thank you very much. I recognize both those words, right.
Speaker 3: So next Wednesday we will watch that Game seven, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat, and please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com, slash shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.