Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome me to this time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. And it's great to have friends come in. And Jennifer Ennison is here today and she is from Elder Care and we want to wish Michael Coloss Peedy recover.
Speaker 2: He's a little under the weather today.
Speaker 3: He is a little under the weather today.
Speaker 2: So it was about half of everybody in this town.
Speaker 3: I agree. There's a lot of things going around.
Speaker 4: So definitely, if you don't have to be out and about, you know, it might be good to take a day or two at home and just kind of enjoy it.
Speaker 3: The dreary weather there.
Speaker 2: Elder Care a lots going on. I'm going to get to the yummy part here in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we mean what they're all a little yummy.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but this one, I mean it leaves evident.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Daybreak, we got some new things happening with daybreak. What's going on there?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 4: Our daybreak program is just such a fun thing. We were talking a little bit before.
Speaker 3: The fun thing today is we're gonna have a therapy dog in daybreak. Ok I'm really.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to going over there and meeting this beautiful little it's not a little dog, he's a big dog coming in. And so it's always kind of an exciting day over daybreak. You don't know, you know what activities are getting into or what shenanikins.
Speaker 2: They're going to. Well, yeah, there's always.
Speaker 4: I went over there yesterday and they were having shakes and I was like, I would like a milkshake. Like in the middle of the week, we're just having milkshakes, and today we're having our therapy dog, and so we're it's always an adventure over there. And if you don't know what daybreak is, and it's an adult day health center where anybody can come over and spend the day with us, enjoy activities, lunch, snacks, breakfast, you know, two meals and a snack, you around and have fun you can and so it's not a place. Unfortunately, you can't just come in and say I want to hang out in day break today.
Speaker 3: You do kind of have to let us know you're coming and go through that.
Speaker 4: But it's a really wonderful place for caregivers and loved ones who are looking for a little bit more structure in what they're doing for their day. Maybe you feel a little isolated at home, so you wanted to go a place that is already planning everything for you and you don't have to think about it for the day.
Speaker 3: Whether you're a caregiver or you have a caregiver and you're like.
Speaker 4: You know, I know, they kind of have their own thing going on and they may need a break, and so it's a great place to come over and hang out and your loved one can go run errands and do the things that they need. A lot of times people think of it as respite and not everyone kind of knows what respite care is, and that is really just an opportunity to provide a break for a caregiver and that can look different for every and so sometimes that's just taking an hour and reading a book or taking an hour to get away from home. And so you have someone who's you know, helping out kind of look over with your loved one all the way to daybreak where it's a very structured you come, you know, eight to five or seven thirty to five or whatever hours are good for you one to five days a week, and we can help out with medication administration and provide those meals while you kind of take a break for the day.
Speaker 3: And so it's a wide range of what respite means.
Speaker 2: And your loved one is going to socialize like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, whether it's being day or you're having fun.
Speaker 2: It's not like you're staring at a wall. It's like, hey, let's let's goof around a little bit.
Speaker 4: There are so many times when I go over and they're playing like beach ball, volleyball, like and I'm like, where can I sign up?
Speaker 3: I would like to come over today and also do that, And so I try and weasele my way in sometimes into an activity.
Speaker 2: They see what those kids are up there.
Speaker 4: But it's a really great place and it's super affordable. And so sometimes when we think about care for our loved ones, we're like, we can't.
Speaker 3: I can't afford that. It's just not within my range.
Speaker 4: But really, daybreak is one of the most cost effective ways to provide care for someone that might have a little bit of a physical limitation or maybe it's a little bit of cognitive decline. And so you're looking for how can I get supports in my families? So we can live our best life and everyone you know, daybreak is a great option, and so it's something where it's, you know, less than one hundred dollars a day, and so when you know, depending on what you need for the day and whether you're going to drive our buses over because we do pick up people in town, or whether you're gonna be dropped off or one day or five days. It's so flexible and it can be catered to your needs. And I think that's important for all families to say it's not a one solution fits all. It's customizable, it's flexible, it gives you what you need need as a family to make those choices, and it's going to be right in that budget range for you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just kind of falls into caregiver support, you know, because that's a big thing too, because we have lots of caregivers and they sometimes they need a little support.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and caregiving is kind of another term where like I think people sometimes are a little hesitant to use it, like I'm a caregiver or they're really not sure because it can look so different for so many families. Just looking after my mom, just looking after my mom, like I'm just helping out occasionally, well that's a caregiver, yeah, absolutely, Or you know, I'm not really caregiving for my spouse or my spouse, I'm doing my duty as you know a spouse, well you are a caregiver. And so sometimes those things change a little bit and it can feel a little overwhelming or stressful. Sometimes it can also feel confusing. So you're like, where do I go next? Maybe I'm in a new role. Maybe I was just helping out mom for a little bit, and things have maybe gotten a little bit bigger than I intended, and I don't know the next step. I don't know who to talk to. I have some questions or some concerns, and it can get confusing. And so we recognized that caregiving is growing. So as you know, we've talked about this, as the population gets older, caregiving is going to get larger as well. And so as all those things happen, they kind of work in tandem. And we've really identified what can we do to reach out and support more caregivers this year in twenty five and so one of the things that we did is we used to have a monthly caregiver support and we realized that's not enough because maybe that one time of that month you were busy, you had doc exppoint men, or you couldn't get away for that time, and so you'd have to wait, you know, a little bit longer in order two months.
Speaker 3: And so we've introduced now a weekly caregiver.
Speaker 4: So we're going to go to a weekly schedule every Tuesday at ten am, and we're going to make sure that up front we're going to talk about what topics are going to discuss or how it's going to feel. And so maybe you know, you're kind of looking at and saying, oh, that is definitely a topic that I want to go to, and it works with my schedule and I can get there where I can move some things around and maybe I have to miss this one. And so it gives you as a caregiver more and dependent some flexibility to say, what do I need, what day works for me, what do I need?
Speaker 3: What topics am I looking at.
Speaker 4: We've built some collaborations with local other organizations and we're going to have guest speakers coming in and so that schedule that you'll see, you'll start seeing which guest speakers are coming in. And we just want to we really want to wrap our arms around our caregivers here in our community.
Speaker 3: And so we're really going to do more things for caregivers.
Speaker 4: We're really expanding those things, and the first step is offering more support in those kind of structured caregiving.
Speaker 3: Networks and groups.
Speaker 4: And so we're just thrilled to see that we're gonna reach our arms out a little bit wider this year.
Speaker 1: Whoy are we We're talking with Jennifer Ands and she's with the Elder Care.
Speaker 2: Now the Big, the Bad, the barbecue, big.
Speaker 3: The bad part. See that's the one you wanted to wait on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, So for those who don't know, it's not too far away from the barricue, our annual fundraiser, The Good, the Bad, the Barbecue out at the Huge Ranch, shouldn't. If you've been, I'm sure you want to come again because it's just a big old party.
Speaker 2: It is a big old party had a big old ranch.
Speaker 4: It is, and it's beautiful and I love that you can just come in your cowboy boots and your jeans, or you can dress up, you know, as much as you want to come out and everyone's just having a good time chatting, eating some grape being's barbecue.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And the thing about it is it's a lot of fun, but it is also our biggest fundraiser, and so it is the way that we are able to do all the programs that we have an elder Care. It helps us achieve that mission of wrapping our arms around our community to support the aging process in general and those in that process, which is everybody. And so what we've done is we've kicked off our committee. We've met with the beautiful group of people who are gonna go down that road with us again this here, and sponsorship levels for that have already gone out.
Speaker 3: So if you are interested in being.
Speaker 4: A sponsor for our barbecue, getting a table of eight, being able to be invited to the party, maybe get into that patron party, now is the time. If you didn't get a sponsorship letter in the mail, give us a call. We'd be happy to send an email over or get one in the mail to you. Have a conversation, and we hope we'll see more businesses come in and come in out and bring their employees and bring their friends and family and check out our great party, all while raising funds for Elder Kid.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, and it is a lot of fun, and you get to see a lot of people you might not have seen for a while.
Speaker 2: You get to reconnect with a lot of folks, have a lot of fun. You have everything.
Speaker 1: You've got great food, you've got a great scenery, you've got great music, and also great auction.
Speaker 3: Oh we do so we have silent and live auctions going on.
Speaker 1: Tom.
Speaker 3: How many people you think come out to our barbecue?
Speaker 2: It look like one hundred million billions, one.
Speaker 3: Hundred million billion. I think you're really close.
Speaker 4: I mean, we have at least seven hundred every single year, sometimes all the way up to nine hundred.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on college graduation.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it kind of works around that, kind of works around those things. But you're right, if there are seven eight hundred people out there, you're going to probably run into someone you've seen in a while and you're gonna have a great time catching up.
Speaker 2: And it's great.
Speaker 1: It's out there at the beautiful huge were here and there's lots of parking. They'll they'll show you where to park, walk around and get to see some beautiful things, beautiful scenery out there.
Speaker 3: Oh it's that lake.
Speaker 4: My little pond that's right behind the tent is beautiful when.
Speaker 3: The sun starts to go down.
Speaker 4: It's very picturesque when you get out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: And of course the food is great, and the cause is really what it's all about. And you know when you start having fun raising funds, yeah, everybody has fun.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: I love your little turn of a phrase there, but it is inside around.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll get old enough, you'll be able to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Tom, I'm going to leave that to you.
Speaker 1: But this is great now. Eldercare, you have a wonderful website. Tell folks where they can bind you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So if you want to know more about daybreak, or look at those caregiver support groups and kind of the topics that are coming, look at the barbecue information, you can do that on our website, which is about Eldercare dot org. We have a pretty active of social media presence, so you can find us on Facebook if you'd like. We send out email updates on our activities and things that.
Speaker 2: Are going on, and I get those and those things are very very informative reminders.
Speaker 4: Did you see the one where we had Lori Fulbright at our billing yesterday?
Speaker 3: It was a packed house.
Speaker 2: She draws the crowd.
Speaker 4: Oh and it was I learned so much being there, thinking, oh, I could fall for that easily, I could fall for that scam or that.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, she's really good when it comes to stuff like that.
Speaker 3: She's like, here's what you got to look for exactly.
Speaker 4: And so that's you know, those are the things that we love and so you can find those on our websites and our social media because we're just about making sure you get the information that you need or about fun. So check out the activities and the dinners that go on. We have a little bit of everything for anyone in our community. So it's not a center where you have to be sixty.
Speaker 3: Seventy eighty to come in. We have so many things for the whole community.
Speaker 2: And it's non residential. Yes, nobody lives there.
Speaker 3: No one lives there.
Speaker 2: There are people who works for belong hours, but nobody lives there.
Speaker 3: Well that's okay, yeah, no, we do.
Speaker 4: No one lives there, and so sometimes our activities are in the evening so you still get to see our building. If you're looking for physical therapy, we have that for all ages, so you know, take care of your health. That's what we always say. It's about our health and that's how we're going to find that we're going to age the way we want to.
Speaker 2: There we go, There we go, Jennifer, it's always a pleasure to have you here.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Tom.
Speaker 1: Eldredcare once again about Eldercare dot org. Yes, that's where you got to find everything.
Speaker 4: And you can give us a call at nine one eight three three six eight five zero zero or visit us at twelve twenty three Swan Drive.
Speaker 3: We love guests, so come by for a tour.
Speaker 4: I'd love to chat with you, show you our daybreak facility, cpt hear what's going on.
Speaker 3: So all are well.
Speaker 2: Come. It's a beautiful building and you can't miss it. It's huge.
Speaker 4: It is huge, and then when you get inside everyone always says the same thing is it's bigger than I thought it was from the outside.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely making. I don't know how you gotta do that. It looks like optic.
Speaker 3: Illusion doing us absolutely all right.
Speaker 2: Once again, folks, you've been watching and listening to our community can