Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen when cover of podcast. If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn. With your host, Corey Winfield, you know there was a reason why that didn't work out, and you can look back at it and go, yep, I'm glad that didn't work out how I wanted it, because I wouldn't been for it.
Speaker 2: Got your ab It is the tenth of October twenty twenty five. My name is Corey Winfield, and joining me in this studio today a couple of smokers, Corey Smoker.
Speaker 3: Corey Jesse smokers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little fun Friday before you giving directions to Jesse and how to put that up to his mouth.
Speaker 3: I thought she was gonna tell me, like, no, it's here tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I look over and she's like doing I'm like what And I noticed. I was like, it's a microphone.
Speaker 5: You couldn't hear.
Speaker 1: It's very inappropriate. This is a workplace. It's now how you guys doing.
Speaker 6: I'm doing great, doing good, doing good. Happy Friday, Yeah, happy Friday. Yeah, it's a hard happy Friday. And I say that because it's gloomy in Michigan. It's a little chilly. It is gray it's dark today, beautiful. I love it.
Speaker 1: But for most people it could be it could be tough and be like, man, it's not a good day. It's dark and gloomy, cold, windy. Wife put up the Christmas tree today.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: She told me that when we were going to the radio station earlier.
Speaker 3: Now, I thought, I thought we came to an understanding that we were going to try to wait until least November.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the tenth. I thought I was going to be up on the first. Last year, I think the last two years it was up on the first of October.
Speaker 5: So the tenth, okay, and we're doing all right, she said, because it was cold today and stuff. She needed the comfort of the Christmas tree and the lights, and the lights are pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's another lamp, is what it is. It stays on all the time, and yeah, it's it's a lamp. It's nice. I I don't know. She does it all I have to do it. So I love it and it makes her happy, so you know, but it's a little early, some would say, I think that's what you're maybe hinting at their jesse. But is it too early to be in the spirit no spirit of No. I just reminding me that I have to put presents underneath that tree. And that's that's not free.
Speaker 3: No, that's not free.
Speaker 1: You need to be reminded of that every morning when I get up. Now, next sixty some days. This is great. I love you, honey.
Speaker 5: Oh you gotta go to work because missus coming.
Speaker 1: Yes, that'll be a good excuse for out the house. But sit that over there, that got to go make this happen. Oh man, did you like that heat this morning? Yeah, gotta go to work. Turn that out like that new lamp we got. That's gonna put all your presents. That has to work for.
Speaker 5: That's the true meaning of the money tree.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Marty's like, I'm the one that makes the money. Shut up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how it is at home right now.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Women need to make more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: The set me this last grant round. We put it in there. And they're like, why does this Marny make so much? I said, because she's a woman, that's why. D you want to know? Because she's worth it. I don't know how you pay your people. If you don't like your job, maybe you should look for a new one.
Speaker 5: I was just lapping about the Christmas tree and because you know, we have like a Christmas tree that's this big that we put up, and I was just like, Yep, I got smaller Christmas trees because they're easier to fit out the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're not talking about like, oh, a couple weeks after Christmas you get written. No, you're talking about like, yeah, you gotta talk about your Christmas meltdown. This is great. Oh oh god.
Speaker 5: So it was like it wasn't exactly Christmas Eve yet, it was a couple of days before Christmas. Even Christmas was coming in Mikayla was I don't even know, I want to say, maybe thirteen or and she was throwing a fit and didn't want to listen, did want to just go to her room and throw a fit. And it just became meltdown status. And I probably didn't help with escalating it, obviously, yep. And so I took all of the Christmas presents that were already under there, I unwrapped them that I'm taking them back to the store, and I took the christ mystery ornaments, lights and all, and right out the front door, and I say, Christmas is done. And it's over there ain't gonna be none.
Speaker 1: Mama meant it.
Speaker 5: Well, here's what's worse. So then we went to an AA meeting that night. Ah, someone had their kids there. Well I didn't think about sugar coating any of it, or maybe just saving it.
Speaker 1: Why would you ever care about what other people around you who think or they are or whatever.
Speaker 5: So I tell this horrific thing I just did to my child, and how pissed off I was, and because I got an ungrateful child and all the money I spend and blah blah blah blah. Well, next thing, you know, you know, these kids are concerned to their mom. Did she is MICHAELA really not going to have a Christmas?
Speaker 1: D you mean?
Speaker 5: Mom? Well, when you act like a little brat, that's what you get.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well merry Christmas this year though, Yeah, marry Christmas. So this would be the first Christmas in your new home.
Speaker 3: First, Yeah, excited? First Halloween, just got it all decorated.
Speaker 1: Nice. Oh so you do Halloween. You don't just go right to Christmas.
Speaker 3: Now. I'm letting my wife do do.
Speaker 1: Like Thanksgiving too. I think we still do that stuff. It's just mixed in with the Christmas always there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just let my wife do it now because for so many years I'm just like, nah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Because my birthday is in December, I really just wait until then to do Christmas. I used to wait until December thirteenth.
Speaker 1: You got cheated. Your whole child life, your whole childhood. You got cheated. I just want to tell you that your parents and other people told you didn't, but you did. They purposely gave you your birthday presents that were actually your Christmas presents. I just I just want to be the person that admits that to you right now.
Speaker 5: No, I already know that rapping.
Speaker 3: So she met her husband, and her husband is made. Birthdays and Christmas is separate and amazing because I was one two saying you got fucked.
Speaker 5: The best Christmas that we had is they didn't have to decorate at all.
Speaker 1: You want know why you were in Orlando.
Speaker 3: Close.
Speaker 5: We were in California Christmas Eve on the beach with a sand man instead of a snowman, they built a snowman. But aka, it's a sand.
Speaker 1: Man with a little water or something. The sand all muddy.
Speaker 5: No, it was away from the water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how'd you do that?
Speaker 5: No, we didn't. Someone else did, like a sand castle.
Speaker 3: But competitive in that sand castle building stuff. They you know, take that stuff to a whole new level.
Speaker 1: I was just think gonna be like frolicking out there with a little shovel, like make a snowman. Okay, So in my mind, you know, it's it's impossible to do this, so it just bear with me. There are other things I'm good at in life, but that's probably not one of them. I don't think.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't foresee you even stepping on the sand.
Speaker 1: So Parker's like, when I grow up, Dad, I want to build snowmen in California on the beach sand. What Hey, you don't need to go to college, so we can take that money your mon's been saving and I can buy a boat or another camera.
Speaker 4: Perfect well, good luck son the best of coold trying to buy Anti Corey and Uncle Jesse. If you need anything, Yeah, they'll help you out.
Speaker 5: Sure. Well, I'll be right there helping them build the snowman on the beach and go.
Speaker 1: I'll be one hundred years old. Okay, graduation today. Stop, don't let me catch you with another.
Speaker 5: I think this Christmas will be fun for you guys with little Parker.
Speaker 1: Too, it'll be that'll be interesting. See how he actually the tree. Marney said, he started grabbing one of the lights, but it doesn't come off. It's like in the tree because cats and we learned that lesson. So she said he kind of gave up trying to pull it off or whatever, and hadn't really messed with it too much. But you look over there and he's over here, and oh, he'll have his way with that tree. He'll do whatever he wants, and he knows it, and that's why he waits. Sorry, I don't think he's like a little grimlin or something. No, he waits for you to sleep, he kicks you in the head. He just waits for you to operate on my face, I don't even know about.
Speaker 5: He waits until you don't pay it attention.
Speaker 1: My dad nought, I'm calling the law out there because Marnie was away. So my dad came and stayed with me for a minute. And Parker has this little I don't even know what it is. It's like a pole, white pole and has like a red bass bottom and you put little rings on it, but it spins. It's pretty cool. It's like it has threaded, so you put it on there and just spins all enough. Well, he had all of those off there, so he just has the weapon, which is the white pole, which is now the handle, and then the red bass is now the hammer. And he went up to my dad just wow smacked him. The next day, I'm looking at my dad, I'm like, Dad, we can't be on public like this, like people are gonna think I beat you up. I was like, what happened to your face? And he explains He's like, well, it's your son. He's like, he smacked me a little damn. But it was all it was like it was so bruised, it was like yellow. And I was like, Dad, it looked good. Man, Like just tell people you fell okay. He's like, I can't use that anymore. And I'm like, what do you mean anymore? What's going on at home?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, are you blaming my son for something that it's not even his fault? I want to talk about it, you know, something you want to unpack. You got the whole week, you know. But he never did open up.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so you more worried about Parker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when am I raising here, you know, like should we call a police out or are they going to take us in. I'm like, I don't have any physical stuff like that. You can see. I have pains, I have, you know, other things that he's done, but nothing like my dad's bruise. And Marnie's face is always jacked up, and I'm always worried about going to public with her. Like man, people are thinking like, oh, this asshole beats her up.
Speaker 3: That's a real thing. It is because Corey had a black guy from our dog, our dog head budded Corey and I walked around in the mall with her and people were like, poor girl. I'm like, dude, I not hitting my wife.
Speaker 1: She fell downstairs.
Speaker 3: It's not They're like, yeah, well, this was funny.
Speaker 5: One day, we were walking from our apartment. It was a nice day out, so we walked down the family Fair and Jesse someone had called on my watch, so he had his arm around me, and I have, uh, you know, kind of leaned into him and he was talking to someone on my watch. Well, some lady stopped and asked if I was okay because it was like the way we were walking, it looked like he was kind of like headlocking me and.
Speaker 3: Respect to that lady though I thought it was cool. She pulled over and she's like, man, are you okay, which I thought was that was nice, you know, and she put her nose in other people's business. But I could have saved someone's life, could have No, I was, I was tickled laughing, but it was funny.
Speaker 1: I just think I just inappropriate things that I'm not going to say, yeah, could have or could have not been funny for you to do at that moment. But well, we did want to make it a little quick podcast, but I don't know, I did want to talk about something. And I think the real reason I haven't doing the podcast lately is some would say time okay, I haven't really been feeling that well and I just haven't been a good headspaced or like I want to talk about fun stuff. And I fear like I did a couple on my own and I just didn't publish them because it was just bitching almost you know, And it didn't start out that way, but it just ended into like just aw, just just rant bitching. So I was like, eh, that's I just don't do them. But I'm glad we did one today though, and we'll have to start doing more. I had a goal in mind of hitting episode one thousand before the end of the year, but that'd be like sixty podcasts. We'd have to do.
Speaker 3: How many how many days is it? Tell the new year?
Speaker 1: We got ten Fridays, well nine after today, we can do it. I should probably just do one a month to start small again now, at least one a week, because I've been saying one a week for a long time. But now I think we're gonna have some time where it can actually do that. And then with the other project that we're gonna get involved in two.
Speaker 5: I don't see why we can't at least do one a week, whether it's just I mean, even if we're just getting on there, checking.
Speaker 1: In and you know, yeah talking about Christmas trees and yeah.
Speaker 5: Ever, that's recovery for us, because I wasn't thinking about Christmas trees or decorating or any of that when I was using.
Speaker 3: Really I did Christmas decorations. I saw her at the bar and at Christmas parties, and I made ass of myself at very many.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, I don't miss those days at all.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: I just don't have Christmas parties. But we should we should we do we haven't here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, yeah, we do fun exciting things here. Make Christmas cards and should do Christmas cookies this year. Decorate Christmas cookies. That'd be fun.
Speaker 1: Take them to people, Take them to people, you know, take them to all the lawyers in town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take them to the Takosky guys, Phoenix ladies, you know, Christmas spirit, all the doctors, doctors. Yeah, I think it was all the politicians.
Speaker 1: See. There I go again, There I go again. It can't do one fun this kidding, but yeah, we'll do some fun stuff. But it's good to get this fun stuff out there and end the smile and the laugh and to enjoy to go into the weekend with like a good mindset too. You can enjoy the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because really, I mean a lot of my problems, high class problems today. Really, when I look at it, I mean, got a home, families, healthy house, got food, got water, got heat.
Speaker 1: That fancy stuff.
Speaker 3: We gotta washing the dryer, you know, like I can wash my I could wash clothes or sheets or anything at any time, you know, so real grateful not to go find the quarters or or any of that. You know, so real grateful this year.
Speaker 5: You know, and sometimes when you I mean, when you get further along in sobriety, it is hard to think about you know that our problems are higher class now, right, we don't have the problems like we did when we first came in or even in our using. That's kind of nice because to go back to living into those problems in that chaos how exhausting.
Speaker 3: So I love hearing the newcomer. M love I love hearing the fresh person. Just it's eight hours, man, I'm like, yep, just hold on, just hold on.
Speaker 1: That calls sober people problems, but we're talking about the new people, and I just don't want to go there, buddy. No, there's a I'm just not gonna do it because we're gonna keep it positive. But no, there was a I don't know, man, this is not There was a situations where this guy and it was so frustrating because he couldn't get help with the right of treatment and he was just like, I'm just gonna give up and I'm just probably not even gonna go now. And I just think about it. I'm just like, did that dude ever make it?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: And the transportation is what stopped him from going, and it just sucks. Yep, it does anyway, That's what I was thinking about. Sorry, Debbie Downer, have a great weekend. Everybody. On that note, well, kick this baby off, you luck with your fantasy stuff. Wow.
Speaker 5: I do want to say we do have an upcoming event.
Speaker 1: Oh we do, that's right, Recovery Stories. Yeah, Message of Hope Part seven.
Speaker 3: Yes, that will be a good time. So all come.
Speaker 5: It's on Thursday, October twenty third. Doors open at four thirty, dinner served at five.
Speaker 1: Who's speaking, Tim.
Speaker 5: Chandra Shannon.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's the secret one. You got jokes, you're kidding, haha, Corey always joking. And then the other one is Adam Stevens. Yeah, oh you know his last name.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to, I know, I can't.
Speaker 1: Probably you can put him on blast. Yeah sorry Adam, Yeah sorry Adam.
Speaker 5: Oh just so you know, Adam, I invited your brother in law. Hu. Well he's catering the food.
Speaker 3: Oh who's doing the food?
Speaker 5: Steve smoking barbecue?
Speaker 3: Oh nice, they're good. They are good. It just takes proper they're on time, like the good.
Speaker 1: She shouldn't have happened like it. I don't know how you know what I mean, Hold on, Adam, we'll get back to you. And to submitute, Adam had to pipe in there for a second. It's something. I'm not sure what he was talking about, but anyway, Yeah, so Adam's gonna be there and yeah, yeah, sorry, what were you guys talking about.
Speaker 5: I invited his brother in law today when we dropped off her recovery stories flyers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve smoking barbecue. Yeah, you guys are like that, smokers.
Speaker 3: It's it's good. And they do a good job too.
Speaker 1: They really do. The friendly people, yeah they are and you.
Speaker 5: Know what, it eliminates a lot of stress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They did the first two recovery stories and yeah, we missed them ever since we had to because we didn't know that it was an opportunity for us to get funded for that to throw these events. So we were just throwing events because we were just like, we're gonna have fun and that's what we do. And so we were making spaghetti and salad and it was a lot. It was a lot of work.
Speaker 5: This last time, Kim did some stuff and we got we got roasted chicken from Family Fair.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 1: Chicken though I do want Traverse City. That was good chicken. Like every time we've gotten that, people like, where's that chicken? Frog?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good family fair. I made Traverse City, Michigan when I open a business.
Speaker 5: But me and Jesse about died when we get there and they're like, yep, we got fifteen pans of chicken coming your way.
Speaker 1: Really yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, somebody did the math wrong. What do you mean fifteen fifteen boxes? Oh, you meet like a little styrofunk. No, we mean boxes.
Speaker 5: Like tomato flat box was at There was a lot of chicken flaying around Travers City.
Speaker 3: There was want some chicken, but it was good.
Speaker 1: There was no hunger people that day.
Speaker 3: No, it was good chicken.
Speaker 1: Though if there was, they didn't know us, but yeah it was. And the barbecue, it's just it's nice. And then I'll take care of everything and it's it's really good. And it's cool that we can put that kind of stuff on and that we're funded through that. Yeah, and you know what, it's good.
Speaker 5: It's a good opportunity supporting them and what they do. And then it's a shoe on the other foot, the recoveries and people that and their families that come there that maybe haven't tried it or been there. Ever, it's a chance that they get to have a little taste of.
Speaker 6: Something I know.
Speaker 1: And there's other restaurants too that we want to try. Spanglish is one of them, and there's a few other ones that we want to have hopefully do our next Recovery Stories Part eight. But this one it was kind of like where were we gonna get funded for it? I don't know, that's wait, wait, wait wait, And then when it's like okay, we get the okay, then it's like, okay, now we can move forward in such short time. And I was just I was glad they were able to do it because I was kind of freaking out, like what do we do?
Speaker 3: What do we do?
Speaker 1: And then they hooked it up. So yes, good time twenty third here in Travers and I'm gonna have probably maybe this weekend. The videos from the last one Recovery Story is most vote part six done.
Speaker 5: I know there's a couple of people waiting for those probably sorry, okay, she knows you're busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get to it. But you'll be able to watch the other videos too. If you can't make it we do also too.
Speaker 5: Just want to throw it out there. Recovery Friendly Workplace Initiative two seventeen Recovery is host in a half day boot camp where you can become designated and recognized by MDHHS as a recovery friendly workplace. We're going to be having that on Monday, October twentieth at Faith and Faith Reform Church from ten to two. You can go on our website or on Recovery FRIENDLYIMI dot com submit your letter of interest and attend that day. Or you don't have to do anything and you can just show up that day and we'll.
Speaker 1: Take care of you, take care of you. So yeah, and there's two seventeen recovery dot com slash RFW. There's that page too. But yeah, of course I said get involved, and it's a lot of people get it confused, and just the name kind of sounds like, wait, I don't need you telling my company what to do about no drug policy if we don't want no drug people working here. It's not like that. It's education for people. So imagine the HR director at your normal business. I picture this older lady, little perm going on some glasses. She is married, has a couple of kids, whatever, her life. She has a dogs, but she just comes to work, she goes home, she talks to her kids on the weekend, you know, that kind of life. She doesn't know anything about addiction, and she doesn't know that Pete and Mark down the hall are struggling, you know. But or maybe one day her grandkids are going to have a problem, and because she took this training, she'll understand it more. It's not about this is right or that's wrong, or don't do this do that? No, No, it's about understanding it. And I think the more that people understand addiction, and especially with SUD, it goes a long way with compassion and them understanding like, Okay that this person isn't just being an a hole. This person's obviously drunk or whatever, but there's a reason that they're drinking. And it's not because it's Friday and it's fun. It's they're hurting, you know, and we need to help these people somehow, And they might not even know how they're hurting. I didn't know how it was hurting. I buried it so deep I didn't even know. And I'm a man, I'm not supposed to have those kind of feelings. You know, and so it's tough, it really is.
Speaker 5: It is in the Recovery Friendly Workplace too. It's just it's an educational piece that can help reduce the stigma and it can help. It can introduce you to a whole networking of just even the resources. So when that time comes that maybe you a family member, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna want to know that stuff. And it's just like the suicide prevention training and stuff that we do. I don't ever, I'm glad that I learned that stuff because I'm I would feel horrible if I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And there's some stuff that just happened recently, like two people I know, you know, I'm just like, what what's going on?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: But it's just it's tough. But this knowledge can help a lot of people too. So if you own a business or you just work out of place, tell your business about it. It doesn't have to be us that does it. But just checking the Recovery Friendly Workplace program because I think it will educate a lot of people. And it's free to get out of work for a few hours.
Speaker 5: There's a lunch provided at the book game.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a good time anyway. Enjoy your weekend to have a good one. Thanks for listening, and until next time you see you later later, bye. Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast.
Speaker 2: Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen Recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seven teen recovery dot com.