Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Ja Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions Kati z R. Two side at iHeartRadio, Stave.
Speaker 2: Set Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're not Ja Gonzales. You're Andy Brown.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not Steve Rivera either.
Speaker 2: You're not Lucky. You you're not meet.
Speaker 3: I heard you. Get to talk now Jays.
Speaker 2: Jason Gonzalez is out today doing some business stuff and we got a boy Ryan, So now you'll have to hear me. So sorry about thank.
Speaker 3: You's all right? When when are you gonna type up those notes sheet? That note sheet is like one hundred years old.
Speaker 2: Don't need to be I can do off the top of my.
Speaker 3: Head, I bet you.
Speaker 2: I just just want to have it in my safety valve. You're my safety valve. Just it kids, like it's like your safety blanket. Yes, my line is lots of stuff happening this weekend. Yeah it is, Yes, a lot of stuff locally.
Speaker 3: Did you take yesterday off?
Speaker 2: I did take yesterday of course. Yes, we didn't have a show yesterday, so uh you were there? Did you do you tailgate?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: So you didn't walk through the you didn't do your little supervision eighteen.
Speaker 3: I'm way early, you know. I don't get to the tailgate.
Speaker 2: Though, So that's that's it's a business for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, No, that's Saturday is the workday for me. Yeah, much like you come on the radio show like today is not business for me, but for you it.
Speaker 2: Is, right right, So yees, Saturday A nice turnout. Actually, and let me say this before before I move on. I was very impressed with something that we kind of talked about Jay and I every now and again, the student section not showing up and leaving at halftime. They were fantastic because they showed up and they stayed. It was to me it was like, holy crap, they must have had no nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: Well it first game, right, so you got freshman kids, don't quite know them. Yeah, saday, they don't have fake ID. Yeah all right, so a lot of them stay, which was great. Yeah, it looks good. The kids love it, I mean TV loves it. It's great.
Speaker 2: Then you don't want to miss T Max going on.
Speaker 3: Every possessor record setting day, wasn't.
Speaker 2: He was fantastic. You you you've here one hundred years old, right at least half that maybe we've got to get our shots in right. Uh, You've seen a lot of football players in your time. I'm sure you've seen you know, the caadeem carries, the criners, the chuck. Oh yeah, yeah, mcallisters. I've said this a number of times. I said this on the post game show, uh somewhere else that at the end of the day, I think t Mac will be the best football player to ever play here. He is talented, he is smooth, he's and he's smooth is a great word because he's elusive. He catches the passes, he gets downfield, he does it all and uh it's just starting.
Speaker 3: Does it and people know he's going to do it and you still can't do it, right. Those are the good players like Grandy Monks. You know he's getting the ball, do you still let him do it?
Speaker 2: You know what he says, try to stop me. I'm always try to stop you. Thatd reeves like just just kind of lett give me the ball, get out of the way, man. Yes, yes, because I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Score pressive students, impressive team ax, impressive tackling, will work.
Speaker 2: On Yeah, that was that was the biggest thing that I came out away with. What the heck? I we didn't make any predictions on score last week, right, but I thought it wo'd be forty eight to ten. At the moment they cover, it was one and ninety.
Speaker 3: I told you mine was fifty eight to twenty nine or twenty eight something like that. Oh that was pretty close. Yeah, that was pretty close.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Did you did you take a nap after that game?
Speaker 3: Man? I took a two hour nap. I had to drive up to Phoenix the next morning and drop off some equipment that I had run in and uh, I was up there by eight o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: Holy crap.
Speaker 4: Four.
Speaker 2: I hope nobody replays this show because after further review, it was every two minutes.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, there's nobody on that street, that road going up there.
Speaker 2: Oh I do in the morning morning. Yeah that's good. No, but I'm talking about just going to the game, and every play was a reviewable.
Speaker 3: Every play was reviewable. Yeah, and I just like, what are we doing? Like every two seconds there was a review or a timeout or yeah I heard there were some commercials they had to run too. Towards the end. I was like, how did you run out of time to do commercials? You still have like three sets of commercials set. I'm like, where were you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well guess what, you got to pay those bills.
Speaker 3: So that last four minutes took about twenty six minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was not fun. Not fun because you knew the outcome and you just needed to get the hell out of Dodge.
Speaker 3: You would hope that we were going to just run the ball, run the ball, run the ball after we were up, but and then didn't happen that first half, you know.
Speaker 2: No the first half, No, second half. They got better at running the ball, ringing the ball, ringing the ball, but they were still finding success through the air. So why give that up? Eat too?
Speaker 3: Right as your bread and butter. It was working. They couldn't stop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. There's a lot of poovement that needs to be made on the defensive end, I'm sure on the offensive. And it's funny. No, no, if if you'd talked about you know him, because the question was like, you know, do you hope to get uh, the other guys involved. You have t Mac of course, and says, yeah, that's my bad. I didn't get to the other guys in both. If Andy Brown's open, fifteen out of sixteen times, I'm throwing it to Andy Brown. Sorry, guys, sorry, you're right, T Mac is open, I'm gonna throw the ball first.
Speaker 3: Well, if your first progression is open, you're throwing them the ball. Sure, right, So nine times out of ten he was open, right, Well, ask him, he was always open, right, right.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing is everyone was asking him, asking or kind of maybe internally asking why why do they have one dude on him? Only one dude on him?
Speaker 3: I don't know that you would think that the whole team would be looking for that play, right, Yeah? Yeah, but that's the good players do. Good players get open. You've seen it. We've all seen it. You're like, we know he's I mean during the Super Bowl, right, you know they're gonna throw the ball. Yeah, Like, why not put three dudes on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: He still gets the ball, right, It happens in every as of the sports, sure, right, So don't give Michael Jordan the ball? Stop?
Speaker 2: How do you yeah, how do you prevent Yeah? And then Steve Kerr hits the shot. There you go, because I'm open. I'm open, Michael, You'll be the decoy. Michael, I love playing decoy. How many times did you play decoy in practice?
Speaker 3: All the time?
Speaker 2: Coach? You give me some gum? Dad?
Speaker 3: Do you give me blue?
Speaker 2: Reather blue? We'll have to talk about that story. That's always a good story to talk about. Uh, you did wear your uniform? I think most.
Speaker 3: Times, yes, all the time. I learned that lesson from some people that.
Speaker 2: Came didn't right. It didn't to get into Oh I can't go in because I don't have the right uniform.
Speaker 3: No, or didn't have it on. Yeah, you don't have shorts on.
Speaker 2: I thought i'd be played.
Speaker 3: The only thing I didn't do was get taped. That was for the Michigan game. I still went score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're durable.
Speaker 3: It happens, you're durable.
Speaker 2: Michigan game. Here the Clidas again.
Speaker 3: Driver, Yeah, yeah cool.
Speaker 2: Anywhere in that box score, that box score in the final four score.
Speaker 3: That's it. Well, I didn't get in the Final four one. They don't call the foul. I was trying to get the foul call and they wouldn't call.
Speaker 2: It against Cordas Williamson. Yeah, so one of those guys. Yeah, okay, I was there. Well, thanks for joining me today. Won't be boring with you, I hope not. We're gonna talk a lot of sports, talk a lot about sports. Uh you volleyball? How is it when you have a volleyball and football the same day.
Speaker 3: It's it's more stress on the campus resources like parking and things like that than it is us. For us, it's a small it's a small event, but and if it's right into what we're already do. But for the that campus itself, it's a it's a strain on the resources and mostly parking because you know, you want to get your fans to the volleyball so that's cherish your garage which is right next to the stadium, which closes. You know, all these roads closed at a certain time. So they do a good job at with the time and when it hits them when things end, so we get those things cleared out.
Speaker 2: So let's say, let's say out of one hundred people, there's more than one hundred people show up for theolleyball game. I'm looking for a percentage. Now, do they just stay there and then stay for the football game. No, no, no, you have to get them out. Yes, how do you know that they're legit to get out? I mean, how would you know the difference?
Speaker 3: They don't. So if you're if you parked, well, basically the event starts parking at tennish tennish. So for volleyball, they'll and they'll charge people there five bucks to get in there, okay, and put them up in the top three or four level.
Speaker 2: Oh cheering okay, and then they'll you know, there's not that many, it's not that big, especially its first couple of games or tournaments.
Speaker 3: I guess you were calling.
Speaker 2: But oh and if you I guess if you don't want to go to the football game, outcause you're gonna leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're leaving. They're leaving anyway, because that's a good it's a good five hours. Yeah, I mean, you're not sticking.
Speaker 2: Around that right now unless you have your tailgate.
Speaker 3: Or something else, and then you're going straight to kalgate. But it's not that, it's not that, it's just stressful in terms of people having to be there extra long. Yeah. So now your day starts three four hours earlier than normally.
Speaker 2: You're talking about from your end the.
Speaker 3: Eighteen, everybody's in parking from us. Anything that has to do with support systems on the campus. Yeah, yeah, well that's when there's people on campuses. You have to be there.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up? What I was gonna ask you something? But you have nothing to do with it. I don't think I sent you a sign which one? Well, I could tell people because people are gonna go there. McHale Center. It's gonna be shut down. It's gonna show. Well, let me kind of explain. They're gonna shut it down September ninth. Beginning September ninth. If you have any business to be doing at McHale Center during the business hours I think it's eight to five, you'll have to contact the person you're gonna go see or the area you just to go see. They'll come and get you and you'll be able to go in. I don't know the official reason for that, but in fact, somebody sent me something yesterday. He says, Well, the library is not like that. Another thing. I says, I don't know, but that's the case. They're gonna shut it down or be more strict with the visitors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your stand there? It's best practice if you're around the country, it's the same thing. It's it's something I'm assuming they had now and they identified as you know, a weak point and we want to protect people that are inside and right well, assets that are inside and things that we have going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense to that to saying that, and I'm sure that that came up with the Bobby Robins thing a year or two ago when the professor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've done they've done a great job on refocusing. They're refocusing but changing a mindset on campus security and tightening up and safety of students and employees. And I've seen that's and that's one of the things they've done all right. So there's a lot of things, a lot of positive steps are taking to improve the safety on campus. So I applaud it. I think it's a great move. It's it's standard practice across the country.
Speaker 2: What a world we live in, the right. I mean, when you were in school, we didn't even think about that.
Speaker 3: No, you you mean you had a code to the locker room and that was it. Now you got to code to the outside, You got to code to this, and you got to card. You gotta scan both and the code and you get in, and I mean that's just the way things go, right. You had to let me in today.
Speaker 2: I did for your safety, safety, for your safety and Ryan's safety. Okay, so let me tell you today you're in for ju at the first half of the hour. Is gonna be Brian Peterson. I hope he answers because I did not remind him, and he said remind him. So we'll see if he's a little survely about this. Brian Peters from from Azy Desert Swarm. He was at the game last two nights ago, and we'll talk about the game with him, or two three nights ago already. And then we're gonna have a Dean Jeff Dean, the voice of the Wildcats at the games and basketball games, football games. I think this is his seventh year. So we'll to see how that's going. Maybe see how the new because the games know how it gets that. It was there an audition, Yeah, we'll ask about there was though. I'm gonna have one of those high dome voices. You know it's very white welcome, Yeah, very very white. Yeah, that's definitely maybe that's not and go protect this. That's your jobs. You got to play to your strength. We all have our state of our leg Dude, I have a face for radio. So I'm here.
Speaker 3: There you go, and you're right, very well, well that used to be my old day. You write those and then when you write them, have an idea what you're writing. You watch the game and then no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I don't have any idea what I'm going right about. I sit down.
Speaker 3: As you're watching the game or is it no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's it's I watch it. Yeah. It just comes to me after what they say, and then I say, okay, I was going to be very critical in fact Saturday very He's not the right critical because of the defense. Right, this team is supposed to be better than when it showed, right, and I'm saying that defensively. Offensively, who knows they could have scored one hundred points. I guess they scored on ten or twelve possessions. That said, uh, the defense was a shock because you know, Duyna Quina has this reputation. Sure they hung they had the lead midway through the second quarter. That was not on my bingo card.
Speaker 3: No, no, it wasn't mine.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking, but then with about I don't know ten minutes, seven minutes left, you're thinking, oh, they could win by thirty some and then the fumble that didn't There wasn't a fumble that was not allowed. So that was the thing, turning point a little for the score. But we'll see. The good thing is you can get those Kings out. And I'll say this to you, Kings out last week this week within you you just said it's a twenty eight point favorite, right do you? Every game is a learning experience. Andy you play these games, I'm sure against Kansasate you learn more. And on the other score, you don't actually get things corrected. You want to, but you sometimes those mistakes happen a lot.
Speaker 3: They do, and talent on the other side helps you know that too. But you can't duplicate a game situation or game speed if you will. So these guys have been hitting each other for months now.
Speaker 2: Sometimes not hitting each other.
Speaker 3: So that's the deal. So how do you really know how you guys are going to react until you get him in that game situation? And game speed is the word, right, So I think they all kind of figured it out and you'll see a much better team in a you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, Okay, So let's take a break, get a hold of Brian. Hopefully he's okay with me not checking in with him earlier. Today talk about the game and more.
Speaker 5: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doronta Rocket Materials. I needed a lot out of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 3: Of course, to.
Speaker 7: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead match and exercise requirements on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: It's a ward season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Dratman Street, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 9: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or coll five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine Z two nine four two Equal housing opportunity now to commitment to lindrixyn credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change with them.
Speaker 10: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable if you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 11: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 2: You could win big. Watch your savings grow to help.
Speaker 11: You reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 12: That really insured and CUA guy bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez they have their eye on the fall on Tucson Sports station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Alan Ball. Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Andrew Brown. Now I'll have some more eyes on the ball with Ryan Peterson. How you doing, Brian, great?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Sure what were your biggest takeaways. Let's do three from Saturday's game.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess the first thing would be the way the defense looked and what to make of that as far as it's going to be an issue or if this is just a first game thing and maybe not showing everything. There were definitely some flaws, particularly on the defensive line when it came to the edge rushers kind of collapsing a little too much and not containing the outside and New Mexico was able to exploit that a lot, and then that as a result also made the pass defense look pretty bad on some of those scramble plays and some of the deep balls. But they got better as the game got on, which was a lot of what you would see last year with Johnny Nsen, particularly with the strength up front by rotating a lot of guys. That would be another one that they stuck to trying to be as fluid as possible up there, using I think thirteen different defensive linemen. As far as on the offensive side, I was surprised at how little Arizona ran in the first half, but then made a concerted effort to do that in the second half, where you can essentially wear down a team, So maybe that was the plan all along, and the blocking was great for that, especially when they brought in that kid, Caden Luke, the freshman fullback for short yardage plays. And I guess beyond that was that. I mean, if there was any worries about that Timac was going to be as good, if not better than last year. I think that that was shown not so much by the total numbers that he had against New Mexico or it was against opponent, but just he looked so explosive and he just looked so much better than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I totally agree. I was talking to Andy here about my thoughts and I've said this a few times on the show. At the end of the day, when Tmax is done here, whether it's this year or whatever, I think he's going to probably be the best football player to ever play here. That will be tough to measure if he's want to hear another year this year, But what are your thoughts on something like that.
Speaker 4: Well, he definitely has the potential to be. I mean, he had said today that his personal goals are to break every receiving record here and as far as the single season and career records. I think the only one that he might not be able to get would be the career receptions because he'd need like one hundred and twenty something more this year. But if he's doing ten every game and they make it into the playoffs or at least the Bowl game, that's possible. But he should get all the other ones and he's going to be a first round pick. He could be top ten, top five, which just really depends on how to draft. Shakes out and he continues to show this development. Bobby Wade today was mentioning that he needed to get on film to show his ability to finish and to outrun people and to show that speed, and he did that New Mexico, which are things that the scouts are going to look at. Is this guy just a guy who can catch everything? Or can he do something more once he's caught the ball, and if he can continue to improve on that, it would definitely be that case. I mean, I don't know who you would say right now is the greatest player to have played here. Would it be a Teddy Bruski, would it be a Rob Gronkowski? I don't know, but t Meck definitely has the ability to surpass both of them right or.
Speaker 2: Or somebody like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think right now you're looking at it round Kowski and Hunley Bruski Rusk. I think those two names come up quite a bit, and everybody's frunt in their mind right now. So yeah, if you can be up in that echelon of level of player out of Arizona and you're that's awesome for me. Yes.
Speaker 2: The one thing that makes him so good and that I talked about this Brian about Noah Tuckins, Well it's kind of my fault. I didn't spread it around or whatever. But if you have t Mac and that's your guy and not a bias, that's your guy. But he's he's open and he's good, guess where you're gonna throw it?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, now, I mean maybe this game they will, in an attempt to try to build the confidence of the other players, not make tam Mac be the first read, because I'm sure he is always the first one that Noah's going to look at, and then if that's not there, then he's going to go elsewhere. But if he's always open, then you're gonna throw it to him. They may want to try to not force it to other guys, but just make it so that those guys show that they deserve to be thrown to and have them be the first and maybe even second progression on some place. There were a handful of plays where they took tea Mac off the field against New Mexico and had three different guys out there, and those were the plays maybe where the offense didn't look as good because there isn't that always open guy, and it's on those receivers to show that they deserve to win teamacs on the field that they're also getting the ball right right.
Speaker 2: So you talked to Brennan yesterday. It doesn't strike me anything different about his demeanor. It's very straightforward, not very quotable, but very I guess insightful. Even after Saturday's game he was just, you know, kind of just tell you to ask a question, he gives you an answer you asked. Quite is nothing really flamboyant. Yesterday was the same way. I guess you are who you are, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's definitely in good spirits. He was last week leading up to it much better than Camp. Seem like maybe it was grinding on him a little bit just because it had been seven months and you get tired of talking season as it's described and want to really get into the games. And he ended his press conference last Thursday. I'd asked him if he was going to watch San Jose on Thursday night. He says, Yep, I'm gonna watch Colorado too. College football is back, baby, and he's like doing a fist pump and all that. He's just super excited, like didn't feel like a coach. And even that week, after one of the days leaving here talking to players and coaches, I'm leaving campus and he's just doing a walk around campus with a backpack on and some earpos that earbuds in, Like this is just he's It kind of has a feeling of like how Dick told me he'd finish up and he just walk across the street over into the Sam Hughes neighborhood east of campus and go home. And it's just Brennan doesn't live right next door, but it feels like this is just his neighborhood kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're not walking them across Andy, No, No, Tommy Lloyd does too. I think there's got that personality of just say, dude, I'm just here.
Speaker 4: Tommy, Tommy is loving life here and not really too concerned with the pressure. And I get that kind of same vibe from from Brennan. Now he hasn't faced any sort of adversity. He had all these players come back and then he didn't lose as many as everyone thought. He was able to put together a great staff, he's done well in the portal and all of that. So we haven't hit seen like a, well, how does he react to things not going well?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: It's whereas Tommy had the you know, the short the short falls in the postseason, and he's just kind of been like, this is all part of it. We're getting better and didn't really look.
Speaker 2: Like it bothered right right now, and he feels that there's a breakthrough coming around sometime soon. The funny thing is you're talking about you know, Brennan takes it, you know, okay, cool. But the funny thing about is your your site and other sites on the web get to get the trolls right. And I think you had one dude who was already freaking out, Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, already time.
Speaker 4: What I tend to do on on socials is asks people forget reactions at half times of football games and just get some fun stuff and this one guy I just jumped in there, and Brent Brennan should be fired at halftime. Take his layoff and put it on his tombstone. I want my money back, and all this kind of stuff. I mean, overreaction is a hell of a drug. But if you are overreacting to the first half of the first game of a coach's tenure, and it's a game where they're winning, then you're going to be impossible to satisfy and to please. And those I'm just going to make fun of rather than try to rationalize with, because they clearly are not thinking straight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, and there's plenty of those, and they show up every now and again, especially in basketball. Yeah, so what do you think. It's hard to gauge the cleanup for Saturday against any of you because it is an AU But you know, I guess you can always say they lost to them two three years ago, So there's that. What do you think what's the priority moving forward?
Speaker 4: The priority I think is getting guys comfortable in with the plays that they're running, but also knowing that that what we've seen so far is probably very vanilla compared to what they would do offensive Land defensively against Kansas State next week and then into the Big Twelve because those games matter more. You don't want to give away too many of your secrets. Many of the formations and play calls that we might have seen during camp we haven't seen so far. And I think that really exists on the defensive side as far as not wanting to show they haven't. They didn't play the dollar package that they did so much last year with the seven defensive backs. They didn't do it that against New Mexico, and I doubt they would do that against NAU unless they realized that they needed to use it. That they want to save something like that for Kansas State so that there's no film on it and then but once it's out there, then it's out there. So I think that they just want to they get through this game healthy, be able to get a couple more guys from opportunities to see if they're worthy of being part of the travel ross and meaningful contributions during a quote unquote bigger game, and then kind of go from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good to see mister Luke out there, you know, with a few steps doing what he does, especially for a local kid. Right, who just was what months removed from from a high school championship.
Speaker 4: Luke, Yeah, kay Luke. Everyone keeps referring to him as kind of like a throwback player because he's five eleven, two hundred and forty pounds, looks like he's in his twenty the mid twenties or thirties, and is perfectly fine with being a guy that is in there to block right, And he was. He was the every down back for Kenyon De Lauro High School. And now he comes here as a walk on and he's playing in his hometown in his first college game, and he's getting national attention. Arizona has was tagging him in posts and he's getting noticed by barstool and all of this. So, I mean, it's it's a great story. And Chuson doesn't produce a lot of names for football, and there's historically been the inability to keep a lot of them. This wasn't a kid that they had to beat out anybody for. He's just he's not somebody that it is like, was a highly regarded prospect, but just for him to make a meaningful impact right away definitely helps with the overall concept of this being Tucson's.
Speaker 2: Team sounds like an Andy Brown story.
Speaker 3: There you go, it is right there. Well, I had to go junior college two years. That's how bad I wasn't recruiting somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Beat a local dude, you know, kind of dream of stuff like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, you do. Yeah, for the opportunity, and he's taken advantage of it. So there's a I imagine there's a couple of handful of kids that could have could play and could do that. You know, it's just amount of getting them a chance and are they runny? Are they ready to jump and take it? You know? And that's I think we're talking about the level of player coming out of Arizona is I think coming back team Mac and No have kind of you know ingrain a place in everybody's heart into Sonic. They're playing for us, right, Well, that only helps with local kids too, is like, hey, you know what, that guy's gonna stay here. I'm gonna work my butt off too, And it just it breeds just an atmosphere of positivity and people want to.
Speaker 2: Do well right and building that It so so Brian, you said Tim Mac was available today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he spoke with us for a few minutes, and he was very humble with about what he did, and he was more concerned about the team. But then when we were able to just kind of pick his brain about certain things, like the fact that they weren't double covering him, he knows that that's not going to be the case and he needs to be prepared for having those double and triple teams, but that that can mean more for his for the other guys on the team, because that that is the key, is that if if he's getting two or three guys on him and they're blanketing him, someone else has to step up. But he also I asked him about the touchdown where he ran the defense, and he said that he and Noah have recently discussed after rewatching the play that that was maybe one of their best chemistry plays ever because if you watch the replace, he runs to a spot in the middle of the field and then he looks back at his quarterback and he's like, Okay, I need to go somewhere else, and that ball meets him in a different spot. So both of them knew. One knew, hey, I'm going to the spot, and the other one knew, I need to throw it to this spot, which is something you can't coach. And that's that's another reason why Deafeta is gonna if t Mac is open or he thinks he's can be open, he's going to throw it to him, even with coverage. Then he might someone else, just because of the trust bactor they have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. In fact, I firmly believe he should have had eleven catches because the one he ruled that the maybe cut out of bounds or he didn't hold on to it. To me, who's in bounds?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looked like it was. But you know, I'm a firm believer in the butterfly effect, and if he catches that one, then everything else after that doesn't exist. So who knows what happened. So he had his ten catches, three hundred four yards and four dr oh, maybe he could have had this much more. But there is the thing that he was eleven yards away from breaking the Big twelve record for receiving yards, and Brent Brennan addressed that yesterday, saying that those records are great and all, but if they keep him in the game just for that, and then he ends up getting hurt in the fourth quarter when they're up by twenty company. Then that's just going to look so bad.
Speaker 2: And there's the ten more games to do that you know exactly, and that could very well happen.
Speaker 3: He's just the stats of these games fall under pig twelve Big twelve Conference records. Yeah, yeah, okay, it started already. Here we go again.
Speaker 2: No, we're one and on, well not we're not wan on the conference, but you're not zero one zero one Arizona.
Speaker 4: Arizona has already has won one hundred percent of the Big twelve offensive Player of the Week awards since they've been in the conference.
Speaker 2: And national Player of the year too, the Player of the Week National. Okay, Brian, we appreciate your time. We'll see you this weekend.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Brian, Brian Peterson from Easy Desert Swarm. Thanks a bunch. Let's take a break, come back, and then finish shop. Maybe we'll get a call or two and get a call for Andy quiz your brain something.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: Hi, this is film a while. Get Lemanhunely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 2: And your life.
Speaker 6: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up up with great equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to answer and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu.
Speaker 1: Slash Someday, Steve Ravera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Big Chet, Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I'm the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wapp Hey, welcome back to whining the Ball Here al Pock Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Jay is out in today, so I have and Brown and Ryan sixteen minutes. If you guys want to call five to two oh four one, six seventy four forty take call, answer some questions. So you watch the USC game with LSU fantastic.
Speaker 3: Game, fantastic finish.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you did you see the It depends on who you Yeah, and it's packed in bekas I guess you know sixty eight thousand or whatever. Yeah, biggest attendant. Uh did you see the post game with the LSU coach?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, So I'm gonna go as Bryan Kelly. Yeah, Ryan Kelly. So he goes in the table, right. So, so I'm watching the game and he's very calm, cool, collected, and I'm thinking he's I'm thinking to myself, he's very calm, cool and collected. And they got a score. I mean, they gotta hurry up and prevent these guys to score. And I'm thinking, oh, I've never really seen him, coach, but he looks very calm, cool and collected. He's a football coach. I'm thinking, Oh, do you think he was holding back to play power to you? More power to you, coach? Maybe? I know. I don't get the I don't get that because we talked about that last week. Okay. So then he goes into the press commers. It shows a little emotion and I hadn't seen it until today, but I heard a lot of people talk about, oh, he was firing and blah blah blah. He hit the table, big FN deal because he he had it. I remember Luke doing it a time or two in my time with him. Louke was Louke kind of that way, calm, cool and collected. I don't mind as a coach to them showing that I know, fine, bomb kind of said, and I agree with find my one. I really usually don't it more rehearsed than you know? He said he should have done it during the game. It should have been enough collecting. But do you mind your coach doing that one? And wouldn't you want your coach.
Speaker 8: To do that?
Speaker 3: You would? I think you have. Coach has his own personalities. All coaches have the and when when it's not genuine and it's outside of their realm, it does its wrong. So if coach Olsen was to do that, you're like, WHOA, that's not that's not no.
Speaker 2: But I've seen it, are you? I'm sure you've seen it.
Speaker 3: When it happens when he does it for an emphasis, it just doesn't seem right. So yeah, I can see where they feel like it. Why didn't he do it during the game?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I saw him publicly because it covered press coverage right and went again. I saw him fiery a few times, a few times handful maybe did you see him do that many times? Who?
Speaker 3: No? No?
Speaker 2: Twice?
Speaker 3: Okay, twice and what were the circumstances. It was how we were dressed and how we represented ourselves. And really he pulled us in the locker room and just let us have it before the game. No, this was yeah, how you dressed coming to the stadium? How do you get dressed? And when you're out representing Arizona? How do you look? Was there A was there traveling? How do you?
Speaker 2: Was there? A said protocol? Yes, oh there was, yes, Oh, and you guys didn't do it and we were mixing matching stuff and then he's like, no, you guys look like a bunch of ragamuffins. That's what he said.
Speaker 3: And he was so mad, and he doesn't he doesn't swear, so everybody when he was like you could tell he wanted it's like you and guys, and he goes, you're a bunch of rag muffins.
Speaker 2: This is ninety four.
Speaker 3: This is ninety four. So yeah, that's uh. When it's out side of coaches a persona, if you will, sometimes it seems.
Speaker 2: Ungenuine, genuine hold the other time.
Speaker 3: The other time was we just weren't playing defense, we weren't taking charges, we weren't we weren't we weren't hustling, right, We weren't getting the fifty to fifty balls. We weren't. We were just kind of going through the motions.
Speaker 2: You weren't there for tourists, the tours will walk on, tauruses, Villa Pilla, tours villa. When he put him in and the bench guy they were getting, they were crushing the team put him in the last minute, they were up by thirty whatever. He got the balls. Just don't shoot, don't shoot, don't shoot, don't shoot. What do you do?
Speaker 12: Shoot?
Speaker 2: You shut? He made it, Yeah, get back in no way. He and then he went into the locker room and he got a half. Every time I see, uh, mister Torrest's say, how's how you doing? And it kind of reminded of his oh man right right, So and then I think I think you may or may not have been part of the team with Joe McClain and all that he was getting. He was getting hammered at U c l A underneath the basket and he pounded the scores table and ripped into the people there.
Speaker 13: You know, you're not getting a call. We're not getting a call. We're getting abuse down here, and they you know, very rare, very rare, but he he when he needed to say something, he got it through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a team. I know those times where he wanted and they wouldn't give it to you to tell me, he kind of did that. I can remember off the top of my head. It was Albuquerque when he got jobbed up there and he took out his jacket, took off his jacket and threw it against the seat and uh and they scored on that last long distance of five second thing court to court. Sure, yeah, we got a call. Hey, you're on the you're on the air. All Hi, guys, Jim, how are you? Jim?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 2: Fine? Thank you? Did you ever get fiery? Oh yeah with the kids?
Speaker 14: Not not often, but you know there was. They had to really worked me over because I was I was sort of intense and quiet to myself most of the time.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, Okay, what are you calling about?
Speaker 14: I'm calling about the football game and the football team.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 14: I missed. I apologize. I missed the first half hour of the programs. I don't know what's been said already.
Speaker 2: Okay, but.
Speaker 14: You know, I'm glad that they won. And it must have been an interview I didn't get to see it live on television. I was driving, I heard it on the radio and then look at the highlights. But you know, the thing that occurs to me, Steve, and this is going to sound more like you than Jay, is what happens is if Team Matt breaks his leg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you put that voodoo hanvi.
Speaker 14: Well, three hundred and five as of six and twenty three total were.
Speaker 2: One guy, two guys, one guy. Yeah.
Speaker 14: I would love to see them, like I said the other day, establish themselves in a controlled format for at least four or five six minutes, and then if they want to run wild, that's fine, but show the other team that you can control the game, because for the first half, New Mexico control the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think that question was brought up at the end of the game about you know, becoming more versatile and you know, fifty to fifty if that's the case, doing more run than pass, and he said, yeah, there's no design. We just go with what's given us. But there's no question, Jim, don't you think that they have to establish the run to even be better at the past.
Speaker 14: I think you have to establish the line of scrimmage, and that includes the run. Yea, sir, I.
Speaker 2: Heard you wanted to take my thirty eight points. I'm wiser than that job.
Speaker 14: Well, you made a comment the other day that I thought you said that thirty eight points. I said exactly.
Speaker 2: I didn't take thirty either, but I was wrong in that prediction. So I was just unbelievable to me, them scoring twenty four to thirty one whatever. At the end, I'm thinking, how is this happening? But the kid from Suarrow and Phoenix was pretty darn good too.
Speaker 14: Around the quarterback was his name, Devon Dan Pierre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 14: He controlled the first half of that game.
Speaker 2: And I've said this already over the weekend. I says that kid made himself some money. And the reason I said that is because some other school it's going to sweep him up, sure and pay him more money.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: And that's and that's where we're going from from today. Well, you know, it's kind of an audition for your bigger, bigger job.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they're talking about how many how many kids are not being recruited out of high school and they're just getting picked out of others schools in other conference like other divisions Division three and AA. There's picking them out of there first and then going to.
Speaker 14: Well, one more thing, if I may add another sure beta point. Yeah, New Mexico ran I think twenty more plays than we did for the entirety of the game. I think they had something like seventy plays, seventy four plays and we had like fifty four or five.
Speaker 3: How many times did we go three plays and then get a penalty and they got a first own. There was a kind of a few of those that were.
Speaker 2: That's another thing that bothered me, not bother me concerning war On. He is unsupported one like, and they didn't have to do any of them. When you're much better than the team, you just go and crush them. You don't have to do all that stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure coach said a few things in the locker room.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, yeah, Oh, I'm sure that kid got lit up. He's probably still getting lit up, David.
Speaker 3: He has to sit the first half of this game, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: I think, I think since you get I don't know, I think so, Yeah, I think targeting.
Speaker 14: I just thought it was interesting. This game was more like a circus in a football game, fireworks going off.
Speaker 2: But Jim really knew Jim I do think. I think this, and that's gonna be the fun part the rest of the year is it's gonna be an up and down affair on both ends when they get to the good teams, because both sides are gonna be very good.
Speaker 7: I will give you this.
Speaker 14: I was very happy that those two boys, those running backs broke those plays. You know, Merritt guy loose for about thirty yards and showed what he's what he's got on a couple of runs, and then Conley took off fifty yards. So that's encouraging. But I'd just like to see them can learn to control the line of scrimmage a little bit before they go completely bonkers, because otherwise we might as well get the Laura back.
Speaker 2: On the phone. What's wrong with you, Jim, let's go. I gotta go with that one. Thanks for calling, Jim. Appreciate it, appreciate it. Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I he's got a point there, how many plays they've run, but we had so many. Yeah that just go for a touchdown, go for forty yards.
Speaker 2: When you're efficient and you're not going to complain expect that.
Speaker 3: I think it also gets you in a bad habit, so too, if you've played too many of those games were one game, one play in your touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you're going to take them. Yeah, Oh, you're gonna take them. It's like it's like in ninety four. Let me say this, but you had a pretty good team, right Damon Khalid, JB Reggie, all these guys. I can't remember the season. Maybe there was a tough pac twelve pack ten at the time, it was pretty good and that prepared you for the tournament obviously. Then you run up against an Arkansas team that was pretty darn good. I don't think there was anybody better all year. I mean Kentucky may have been in the first part of the first part first the year. Do you think the season prepared you for that final four?
Speaker 3: Yes? Absolutely. We played some really good teams that year and in the pack ten pack twelve back ten. Yeah. So it was you had Leman Murray and Jason Kidd at cat Cal, right, you had Abandon Brothers at UCLA and Tyas Edney wasn't. Yeah, those guys are aweso. Like I think they beat us twice. I think Cal beat us once at home in double overtime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there was a really Oregon was tough.
Speaker 2: It was a tough con So my point is now, I think you want to be in those type of games in the regular season, not too where they scare the crap out of you and say, oh we they'll be entertaining for the fans if you do pull them up, but you want to get tested, and you want to get tested a lot in case you know down the road you're facing teams in the playoffs if you get there, or in the in the bowl game, sure where you say, yeah, okay, we've been through this before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've seen it. You're comfortable with it. You're comfortable with being uncomfortable. Right. That's the whole point of basketball when you're in those positions at the last minute game, the last minute, thirty seconds left, that you're comfortable in that position.
Speaker 2: And football because if you can go up against the bigger Oklahomas or the big twelve, sure, and you can handle the girth or whatever the word is, well.
Speaker 3: If you know you can score on one play anytime, that's in your back of your mind, it's like, I can do this, we can do this. We're only down six points, seven points, that's we can do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you said, though, there's always a sense of security that doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Right, that's all sense of security, right, Right? Did you see the score that Texas Tech game and Abilene Christian was fifty two to fifty one?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't see. It was an overtime, nonetheless, but still really Texas Tech gave up fifty one points.
Speaker 2: It almost lost the game.
Speaker 3: It almost lost. The only reason they lost I think Arizon. I think Abilene Christian went for two in overtime to try.
Speaker 2: Them, and that was a huge jub on. They were a huge underdog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the shouldn't. That's not even in the right league.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they got a lot of My wife goes, why do they even play that team because they got a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the same for a NAU. That's the reason they're paying them a ton of money to go play on a page. I'm sure in New Mexico got about three hundred thousand whatever it was.
Speaker 3: An il money for keeping that quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, are you are you involved? This might be dumb questions. Are you going to be involved in the exhibition game in Glendale? Or they have their own people, No, they have their own people.
Speaker 3: That's a whole venue difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, I think that's a cool idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting gal they got. It's kind of like a non basketball deal though. You got Channing, Fry and Richard, the guys putting it together with an after party or after after for the fans and after party, yeah for the fans. Yeah. So I'm not on site, but off site even here, there's one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sure that helps with the nil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it all goes to nil. Yeah. Yeah, and you know you gotta you gotta.
Speaker 2: Do that, aren't you. You're disappointed. You were about thirty years too late.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: Even even if you wouldn't have gotten paid, you could have driven Damon around. He'd give you ten dollars an hour.
Speaker 3: Maybe I could have. Yeah, it could have been the no guy. No, I'm sorry, sir. You can't come.
Speaker 2: No autographs to day, and Damon and Clid don't.
Speaker 3: Want to buy groceries, thank you very much. Yes, you can run in her pers. I just got a text from my buddy Joe Turner. Oh yeah, j T, you're all back for littles And so I told him I give him a shout out with all the other coaches. So I drafted the team that won. So with the coaches me Reggie and Felicity and Felicsy brought home the championship. Give her shout outs.
Speaker 2: She's good. The female I don't remember her name, price, miss Price, Oh, Sydney, Sidney Price, Sydney. She was, she's very smooth man. I drafted her, Felicity for a second round, first round. She I can't say, well, but she was up. There aren't too many rounds. But she was one of your key players. And so was the mechanic guy Bell or something that. Yeah, yeah, Wendell. Yeah, they had a pretty good team.
Speaker 3: They had a great team. So I drafted it and I left and they started winning. So you definitely can't coach.
Speaker 2: You're just the GM.
Speaker 3: That's I can take that.
Speaker 2: You're the GM. You let the coaches couch.
Speaker 3: Draft and sit in the stands. Then sit on the bend.
Speaker 2: Don't be a don't be a Dallas cowboy owner. You know, gotta quote imagine that mess. Yeah, you know what the owner. Every time you gotta draft somebody pay them this. So I thow TJ got a nice contract. Yeah you did.
Speaker 3: That was awesome. We talked about that.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you Yeah, did you ever think you were at the games more than or just as much as I.
Speaker 3: Know that he was going to be a guy like this. No, I didn't think he would do ten fourteen years. That's when his contract's up. He'd be what fourteen years in the league. Yeah, but no, I didn't think that at all. I thought he's a great hustle player. Yeah, but he's found his niche in the NBA. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Find your niche and make millions for him. I'm gonna call him on the nil HOPLNE and say, hey, yeah, our guys need help, right, well they should, I mean they started here.
Speaker 3: Well you know, Reggie does that. Reggie dials dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, great, Well take a break here. Get ahold of Ryan for our breaking news