Speaker 1: Offers playhouse, What are you getting that, Grammy a w.
Speaker 2: Walk to the store in a day or show and get a brand new tablet and write down everything you want us to do, where to pen, when, and hell leave directions about the stalk to We'll just follow your directions.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a good idy. But who's going to read the order?
Speaker 2: Don't get stassy, Joe Willer Garden.
Speaker 4: Sure Grammy had her shortcomings, particularly reading, but if you're the right kind, you'll make out all right. It won't be easy, of course, not any easier than it was for Grammy and the others who were called remises. How they solved their problems is revealed as Author's Playhouse presents James Street story of Mississippi swamp folks. That old Gordon place.
Speaker 5: It's right over on us.
Speaker 2: We'll have you paint legs to save your creases.
Speaker 5: Now read out loud.
Speaker 2: Yes I did say. Over there on that right hand cons.
Speaker 5: A big old dad about soybeans. See, let's have it for thrim.
Speaker 6: It's heaven, all right, soybeans cheap and easy to grow. He's the plant nice scribes come to tell us for your sorbet Hell.
Speaker 2: Let's fjw's wedding and do it fush class.
Speaker 6: Jo winner Gordon arrives today from Camp Shelby. Why isn't training attached to him now? Or tillry our pillery unit on Tuesday he will take his bride, lovely Betty Rogers of sak Tuck Avenue.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, man, bj Rogers will be solictent labor for his saw meal. Right at the wedding.
Speaker 3: He mark my woods.
Speaker 5: He hates to help people stay.
Speaker 3: On the farm.
Speaker 2: Yes, them Rogers only moved into this community ten year ago, little Beltlanders to their blood mixes with a needy blood. Hell let it shouldn't come to pass. Their daughter marries our boy just because that Rogers.
Speaker 5: Runs a saw meal, he thinks he can load it.
Speaker 2: The rus Mississippi swampful rednecks, picker woods. He Locksley calls us a raymises.
Speaker 5: Worse, ramises, what's that?
Speaker 2: Grannie Edna Ray misses? If you want to know, don't you ever feel called upon to be a shamed drawn? A garden was living in the old garden place when the revolution comes and the first Garden married a princess of the clan of the wind Rulers of the Muskook Indians built this old place. Then the outlanders started coming in and the gun calling us ray misses. Yep, there was the readers and the ray misses, and they don't mix well.
Speaker 5: Grammy, how is it that you didn't learn to read?
Speaker 4: Hum?
Speaker 5: What are they learned to read?
Speaker 3: For?
Speaker 2: Want? No books to read, no need to write letters? And we could walk a few miles.
Speaker 6: And visit and say, missus Ryders takes the daily paper and even reads in public.
Speaker 5: Bible stars and such like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they say she reads two or three hole books a year, Ronnie.
Speaker 2: It's an exaggeration and you know it. Yes, you mind. J Devid begun colting beatty missus Roger sent word that she'd call. Yes, she ain't to say, say down here loaded over me. I ain't nobody gonna sit in a big chair in this house but me. Maybe I'll share the big chair the fitting. Nobody's gonna hold it. She won't, being neighborly, just curious. I recollect the day she come up cold.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 5: It's for balking me, Roger. I've had plenn to thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh see here for the paper, or your husband's born to mobile on business?
Speaker 3: Why missus Gordon. I didn't know you read.
Speaker 5: Of course I do, do you.
Speaker 1: I sure do.
Speaker 5: I've been reading since I was knee high. I never used glasses.
Speaker 2: I see here where the mainlanders have moved, the poor witness general store, the partners.
Speaker 5: You're having a.
Speaker 2: Nice picket fensive.
Speaker 5: It's I should have told her that.
Speaker 2: But I'll be switched if I was gonna let him out there and they lorded over me. Just of course she could read.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stay Grammy here, I can shay W drop fine and see Betty before it comes here.
Speaker 2: He better not Papa for a man to come home first, then go get his girl and bring her to his house.
Speaker 5: For supper, and the folks too. J W'll come here first.
Speaker 2: He's a first place man.
Speaker 5: He's do most any minute now. I'm better go call him news. You know how he is about from you.
Speaker 2: I ain't go ahead, don't stand there, Graham here, come go fetch him a dip of cold water fish from the way.
Speaker 5: Yes, j W.
Speaker 3: Probably, Oh, drammy me, it's good to be. Oh. Oh that's mighty good. How are you, Ronnie fine? J W?
Speaker 5: Did you stop buying?
Speaker 3: She Betty norm came here first. I will get her directly for folks too. How's the place? Mmm?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: Write a rickon? Here's your army, all right? I reckon him hands here and fit pal henders them feet, fit furs. You ain't found your please hit in the army got a good gun?
Speaker 3: Uh bigger then the artillery.
Speaker 5: Men can kill more folks with a bigger than a little one.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But I like to do my own aiming. I'm gonna poke around. Be back directly, Grammy, all right, come on, ron Ronnie. How's Grammy's reading?
Speaker 5: Sort of second hand?
Speaker 3: Reckon? She aims to tell Betty she can't read a lick.
Speaker 5: She don't aim to tell her nothing.
Speaker 6: She's rightly proud of Betty, But she said Betty might tell her mother she can't read Grammy.
Speaker 3: Jemmy knows what she's doing. But Betty's gonna be around. She ain't dumb. I hope it works.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Are you and Grammy going to handle this place this summer?
Speaker 5: I don't know, but it's gotta be done better.
Speaker 3: Put in some peanuts this year, and that patch across the creek.
Speaker 5: Peanuts, that's cotton les.
Speaker 3: Government needs peanuts.
Speaker 5: I ain't no peanut man, I ain't ever raised them I.
Speaker 3: Ain't never killed no Germans and Jeffs, but I aim to. You need cor in that bottom land and push it cloud deep as soon as falls, and I pin up your hogs and shovel the corn to 'em. Government needs hawks.
Speaker 5: Okay, what else? Eh?
Speaker 3: Put soybeans on u where we had corn last year?
Speaker 5: I don't know nothing about soybeans.
Speaker 6: J You government needs soybeans?
Speaker 3: Uh, Ronnie, can you keep a secret? A military secret? Sure, we're making a secret weapon out of peanuts and soy beans. That's a fact.
Speaker 5: You mean vitamins, so what now? It was the bad suit.
Speaker 3: I don't mean vitamins. I mean an explosive, something brand new, and a coaching, peanuts and soybeans.
Speaker 5: Better and dynamite and tea and tea.
Speaker 3: God, I'm beat to a frazzle boy. One drop of this explosive in a shell and wow, solder is too, and they pick up Japs and Germans and baskets get the audi. Yeah, that's how come I'm home. I told the army that if soordbeans and peanuts could be growing, you're the man to do it. We're picking our tea men here, and you order to grow them.
Speaker 5: So you come home and get married.
Speaker 3: Uh, that was just sort of an alibi. But don't say nothing's nothing about that neither. Now can we count on you? Who is we the army?
Speaker 5: You might have come a ride.
Speaker 6: You'll show me how to get them googers and sodbeans started, and I'll do the rest. Ferman's gonna want to pry, but I'll tell it some military secret.
Speaker 3: That's right. Shake now, then I'm going down and fetch Betty and the folks up here for supper.
Speaker 7: And miss I like chicken biziness more than a white meat. And tell you why? How you taking?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: I've just finished reading the whole book.
Speaker 3: It's called so Red the Rose? Did you read it?
Speaker 5: Missus Gordon?
Speaker 2: Don't read books, Miss Rodgers.
Speaker 5: I just read news and things.
Speaker 2: All it's about crops.
Speaker 5: Well, when do you find time to read?
Speaker 3: I have to make myself take time to read.
Speaker 5: I'm so busy with my son and all that.
Speaker 6: Generally I read at night if everybody's in bed. Sometimes when I'm so and sometimes I.
Speaker 5: Get not want to read to me?
Speaker 2: Good practice for him?
Speaker 5: All ready?
Speaker 4: To you?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Batty honey.
Speaker 7: Nay, mister Gordon, how you and Betty going to run this place this summer.
Speaker 5: I will have rollie father.
Speaker 2: What you getting at, mister Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Well you're rat this place or sell it?
Speaker 8: No telling?
Speaker 7: When j W get home running, Ronnie could get a job my sawmill and you both can move right and down.
Speaker 3: You mean let somebody else live here. Ain't nobody ever lived here? But God will?
Speaker 7: So water is his war?
Speaker 3: How many wars has this place been through?
Speaker 5: How man is it being?
Speaker 2: Including Indian ones?
Speaker 7: It's the largest?
Speaker 2: Have to self the biscuits. What do you say of some holo hortons passing?
Speaker 3: Please? After we eat, I want to see ron zoates. I think it's coming up a rain. But will you come out with me? Betty?
Speaker 9: Of course, j W W so, I mean, and peanuts and new props to us.
Speaker 2: Me and ron might have trouble.
Speaker 3: I'll help you get him in the ground.
Speaker 2: The rain's coming won't be able to plant for days. By that time you have to go back. Sod sin't fitting for a man to spend his honey moon. The fields wouldn't be fair to baby.
Speaker 3: What are you getting that? Grammy?
Speaker 2: Go up to the store in a day or store and get a brand new tablet and write down everything you want us to do wear the plant when in hell leave directions about the store too. We'll just follow your directions.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a good idy. Who's going to read the order?
Speaker 2: Don't get session Joe in the garden.
Speaker 3: How are you going to keep Betty from finding out about the reading?
Speaker 2: Of course that Brad's go to get to it. You'll be going back to that big gun before long.
Speaker 4: Quit.
Speaker 2: Do you learn to shoot that gun the quickly you'll be back?
Speaker 3: Yes, I wish they'd give me a rifle. I don't cotton the cannons.
Speaker 5: H you do like you?
Speaker 2: They tell you up there, and we'll do that. Can tell us stand here before long? Everything can be all right again.
Speaker 3: Now, Ronnie, I bought a tablet and a brand new pencil, and I've written down everything I used the first page for weather Side. See now, I've drawn a line right here, and I wrote down about the stalk. That took two pages. And the directions about the soy beans start in the middle of the third page right here, yeah, right there, and go over here to down here on the fourth page, and then comes the directions about the corn and so on.
Speaker 5: You see, Yeah, you shop things up a lot of pages.
Speaker 3: You just do like it says here and you'll get by.
Speaker 6: Kind of goofy to put the business about soybeans and peanuts down here and writing it ought to being cold.
Speaker 3: You just be popyarch. Sure nobody gets hold of that, and don't talk about it. Grammy and Betty know how I've written directions, but they don't know it's a military and they won't say nothing about it because they think it's not a secret. That's how women.
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 5: Unfast? I get the table with my rooms. Besides, it's as good as cool. You're right head so hot. Where's Ronnie gryming? He's in the barn feeding jewels and taking the mules.
Speaker 6: Put Grammy, I'm separated Daisy and her calf, and Daisy needs stripping.
Speaker 5: My hands are laugh Would you mind.
Speaker 6: Reading and directions and telling me house days over here walking down?
Speaker 5: Well, my hands are wet. Tools. You're gonna put the milk in the milkhouse, madame. You'll get back.
Speaker 6: I'll have the directions not up to Ronnie shrooms right on the first page of instructions. Just tear it out, get Ronny.
Speaker 2: To read it to me in a good hurried tool. By the wondering. Thanks Johnnie for reading it. Huh, it's like we've alway done it. There's nothing new about that. After that, told Betty that I'm coming to out.
Speaker 5: The whole page. Why don't you bring.
Speaker 2: The whole table? Oh, don't ask so many questions. I don't know why I've done it. I've just done it. I go on, get it back your chores. I'll put it right back after corn here, Betty, alight, Grammy, bet Yeah, Rammy, Betty, I just read it.
Speaker 5: He says. Let the carefair the skippings for a while.
Speaker 2: Rammy, say, God, I be getting better.
Speaker 5: It has the windows.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna read. Says that wind. Oh, I know that's the papers from the tablets scattered all over the floor. Or just gotta get them back together some help.
Speaker 4: I'm.
Speaker 5: Ramy.
Speaker 6: I think it's time to plant penas J Dove, you rode down here, walk his ground high and plow thee.
Speaker 5: Be sure it is put in bottom lings. Hey, J Dug is crazy. I reckon j W Note what he's doing.
Speaker 6: He says, there a plan to be in bottom land ed ain't right, that's coon land. See what he says about col col Now these directions they put corn on helly ground.
Speaker 5: Did Cheber say anybody been messing with his champlain? I read it every now and then.
Speaker 2: You're getting mighty big for your riches, j W said, playing corn on.
Speaker 5: Hilly ground, and that's where we do it.
Speaker 6: Grammy, I've been walking the mules hide SAMs that I should increase the cotton seed meal in their feet when I checked the tablet.
Speaker 5: In fact, i'd rather through from beginning to end a hard times, eh, Grammy and Grammy, you told me a fib You told me phibbs, this tablet is all messed up and so on. We won't happened. Well, it was Betty's fold, Betty's What I.
Speaker 2: Mean is if it hadn't been for Betty saying her hands were wet and she couldn't handle the tablet, I I never had to do it. Well, what the mean is it was it was a windy day and all the wind just blew in and mixed it all up, I mean, mixed them up, the papers. So I just put them together again, pasted them a little harder than there was, pasted that sort all. Grammy, recognize it's ashamed to let you know I missed it.
Speaker 5: Up, but you can fix it.
Speaker 6: No, I can't straighten it out. J W didn't number the pages when a jam Grammy, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 5: Ron? I gotta find j W and get this thing fixed?
Speaker 6: But eat a long ways off. How you gonna get there? I'll ride one of the mules, probably old Jake because he's for j W. Don look at him anyhow.
Speaker 5: I'll get there all right.
Speaker 2: Yes, if Benny knows she going, she'll want to know everything, and she'll find out about the tablet, find out that I can't read. Why don't you mean that tablet to j W.
Speaker 5: I'm not trusting it to anybody. You tell Betty. I'm going to pass a goooler to look at the mules. If that'll be a field, I'll take a bag of feed for Jake. That'll save money. I'll be ready to go pretty quick. I don't need a little money. Where do you keep it?
Speaker 3: In?
Speaker 5: My top door?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 2: Not tobac, you can.
Speaker 5: I'll be back when I get done.
Speaker 2: Lady a sheep downstairs fixing you some iced teeth, Miss George's when'd you come?
Speaker 3: But Betty came over and.
Speaker 5: Got me when she saw you aren't feeling well.
Speaker 7: You've been working too hard, Miss Gordon.
Speaker 3: I've been sitting here most two hours. You've been sleeping. The sleep is exhausted.
Speaker 2: All right, now, it's right. They believe you to come over, miss Rogers.
Speaker 7: That's what neighbors are for.
Speaker 2: Here's some tea for you, Granny. We thank you, honey, as team is Roger, I've already had some.
Speaker 3: I'll read to you.
Speaker 2: No, don't bother.
Speaker 3: I suppose you are tired of reading or being read too.
Speaker 5: Betty told me you've been reading this book to her, and how well you read?
Speaker 3: H mind if it takes this book on to read. I'll be back later on to see if I can help out.
Speaker 2: You'll take it. Thank you, miss Rogers.
Speaker 5: I'll be back soon.
Speaker 3: Goodbye.
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: They doing so the sick, didn't you, Bitty? How come you had to say book?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Grammy.
Speaker 10: Mama got to ask me questions about your reading, and I just up and said you'd been reading to me? And I just said book to make it sound bigger, a long, you know, and I can't read? Looks oh, I don't know, Look at me?
Speaker 5: Who told you? Nobody?
Speaker 10: Grammy?
Speaker 3: I just put two and two together and I ain't telling nobody.
Speaker 10: I reckon, I know why you did it. You're a sirt of like me.
Speaker 5: What are you getting at?
Speaker 10: You remember that royal girl who come down here last year?
Speaker 3: Mm?
Speaker 10: Well, she said she'd had private pianel lesson and j W got to shine around her. So I told him that I'd studied dancing when I was a little girl. I just wanted to show off to make him think I was something special.
Speaker 2: So it looks like you did. Come on overhead and hit find the honey. I want to tell you where Ronnie's going.
Speaker 4: Say?
Speaker 5: Can I want to my mule at e Reckon? You can? Can I get some Hamburgers?
Speaker 3: Reckon?
Speaker 5: You can? Kim shall be how Foster?
Speaker 2: I reckon by de after tomorrow you can get there?
Speaker 5: Am I head and right if you are shun.
Speaker 7: Okay, heman to shine.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna need Hamburgers?
Speaker 5: You want live? I reckon?
Speaker 3: What Jake? And what do you work there?
Speaker 1: Boy?
Speaker 6: I wonder what you love at grabb my mule and your pasture. I gotta go into Kim Shelby all the right back.
Speaker 5: I'm planning on him listening. Well, movie, okay, leave him you here?
Speaker 1: Thank what's going on?
Speaker 8: There private.
Speaker 4: This kid says he wants to see the general. Sir, I want you to settle for a colonel's son. Here's Colonel Cartwright. Maybe he'll have a minute to see it once. It's all about this boy wants to see the general.
Speaker 1: Sir.
Speaker 8: General's busy son. I'm his colonel. Can I help you?
Speaker 5: I'm Ronnie Gordon. I don't want to see my brother, j W.
Speaker 3: Gordon.
Speaker 8: What's his up it?
Speaker 5: He handles a big girl.
Speaker 8: There are thousands of soldiers here. Ronnie. You'll have to tell us more about your brother. Does he look like you?
Speaker 5: Well, yes and no. He's the first class man, but his teenston'll fit. I gotta see you.
Speaker 8: Come into my.
Speaker 4: Office, son, Yes, you will sit down in that swivel chair there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Now you can trust me. Tell me what's on your mind. Maybe I can help you find your brother.
Speaker 5: It's about the peanuts and sowbees. Oh.
Speaker 6: J W told me that you my wanted me at grom Yeah, yum me in on a secret. I know you make exposures out of him, and I ain't cool the soul, not even Grammy. But Grammy got the tablet almost up when my planeted peanuts going on a planet a corn. No hogs are loose, and old Jake sick and oh.
Speaker 4: Why of course this is a miserable state of affairs. But we'll fix things. It did right in coming to me. I'll call the adjutant. Send him the adjutant right away. You know, Son, I'm a farm boy myself, Yes, sir, yep from Ohio, oh a Yankees farmer.
Speaker 8: Uh, Lieutenant Williams. We must find this man's brother.
Speaker 4: Peanuts are growing where corn should be, and the hogs are loose. Jake is sick too.
Speaker 8: Oh very well, sir, It'll take time see that this man has quaught us until the mission is completed. For about Jake, Jake, what about him?
Speaker 5: He's out in the pasture behind us. Mumhm oh, I see, Jake is my mule. May have you figured he was another brother. He's just a mule. I rode up here. J W can kill j W is a mule man from way back, best new man in the county.
Speaker 4: Just a minute, son, is your brother about this tall black hair N's like j W fighting Joe Wheeler, Sir, Joey la Gordon, that's him. Excuse me, sir, could I have a word with you aside, I grew ahead, Lieuten Williams. I know that's Gordon, sir. Yes, I was checking his record this morning. He was on a one fifty five millimeter and was the sloppiest soldier in the camp.
Speaker 8: You don't say yes.
Speaker 4: Then, as CEO heard that he liked mules, he was transferred. He's the best mule man in the army. Shall I send form, sir.
Speaker 8: By all means heaven?
Speaker 4: Report here at once, Private Joe Wheeler.
Speaker 3: Gordon reporting his audit, sir, And thank you, sir for what's wrong?
Speaker 4: Ron?
Speaker 5: Everything? But it ain't Grammy a betty.
Speaker 8: We need your help, Gordon.
Speaker 4: The hogs are loose, and Jade's sick, and oh a lot more.
Speaker 3: Grammy got the tablet mixed up. Oh I forgot to number the pages, sir. I just got married.
Speaker 5: What happened to you? The uniform look squilled now? And how's the big girl?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm handling mules now, and I got me a rifle.
Speaker 8: Ron h Gordon.
Speaker 4: They may need you at home for a few days to get the soybeans and peanuts started. I'll arrange it. I'll send you and your brother and Jake back in the truck.
Speaker 3: Go get ready, yes, sir, Thank you sir.
Speaker 8: Well, there's a good soldier. He should be a first class private, first class.
Speaker 5: Here's been first class for years, Grammy said yourself. Thanks.
Speaker 6: This army a long time to catch eye, don't, sir, must be a pass my Yankees in it.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid so Ronnie can't be helped.
Speaker 6: Well, that being the case, the woman lasts long enough for me to get in end me and you sure I'm join up with you?
Speaker 8: Thank you, Ronnie.
Speaker 4: Well, Now, of course it's against regulations for the Army to give medals to civilians, but I think it's all right for me to give you this in a pinch. It'll make a better weapon than that pocket knife I can.
Speaker 8: See hiding under your shirt.
Speaker 4: Here it's a steel letter open there, regimental insignia on her too. And this this is for Grammy, Thank you sir. It's a monogram book mark my respects to her son, and tell her this will keep her from.
Speaker 8: Losing her place.
Speaker 4: You have heard James Street Story That Old Gordon Place, adapted for Author's playhouse by Dorothy Genie Quinnan and directed by mister Harry Bubeck, Miss Hazel Dafady, Master Robert Ellis and mister John Coons were heard as Grammy, Ronnie and j W. The orchestra was conducted by mister Joseph Galicio. Next week, same time, same station, Author's Playhouse will bring you Elizabeth Dunn's amusing story woman Work. What does ra Dio spell besides radio? R for relaxation, A for amusement, D for drama, I for information, OH for opportunity. Because American radio is a free enterprise built by free people, all radio listeners have the opportunity to enjoy a variety of programs each day. What is better than listening to good music when you are tired, laughing at your favorite comedian, hearing the stories of great dramas. Listeners can learn much from Radio two. There is no better source of accurate, instant information today than radio. NBC and the independent stations affiliated with the network are radio radio, which spells different things to different listeners, but one thing above all, to everyone, the best programs on the air. This program came to you from Chicago. This is the National Broadcasting Company.
Speaker 8: OH