Speaker 1: In an Imagine two thousand and six, Colonel Bradbury is central to the Western effort to reach the Moon until an experimental X ninety three rocket jet suffers a stabilizer failure. After the crash leaves him gravely injured, doctors undertake an experimental repair while pressure mounts from the rival Eastern Alliance. From Mutual Science Fiction Anthology two thousand plus. This is episode seventy seven, The Rocket and the Skull, first broadcast October tenth, nineteen fifty one. Nat Poland portrays Colonel Bradbury, with Arnold Robertson as General Hilton and Merril Joels as doctor Keys, ladies and gentlemen. Here is the original broadcast.
Speaker 2: The Night the Rocket, under Mind, Knife, the Skull.
Speaker 3: Two thousand plus Adventures from the World of Tomorrow The Years beyond two thousand had two thousand plus for that The Rockets and the Skull.
Speaker 2: So, jens, have you heard some Colonel Bradbury yet, No, sir, I've been trying to pretend.
Speaker 4: Minutes.
Speaker 2: He'll try again, Yes, sir, be for base to R for rocket.
Speaker 5: Be for base to R for rocket. Come in R for rocket.
Speaker 2: Every time, bad boys. More than five minutes later I get the jitters. He's too important for this project not to know where he is every moment.
Speaker 5: Yester, be for base, to R for rocket, Come in R for rocket.
Speaker 2: Hires canavy, and he should be on the field level of.
Speaker 5: Yes, B for base, who are for rocket? Come in R for rocket.
Speaker 2: He dint of what anything happened to him. The first experiment is being conducted tomorrow morning. Bradbury is the only man who knows.
Speaker 5: Every step of the route for base, who are for rocket? Come in R for rocket.
Speaker 2: You're not getting him. Cut the scannon returned the standard beam. Yes, that.
Speaker 5: Come in R for a rocket.
Speaker 2: He should have left an hour earlier, and he should have taken a schedule flight. But no, he has to work up for the last minute and then fly his own plane to get you in time.
Speaker 5: Be for base too, R for rocket, R for rocket, be for base. This is an R for rocket.
Speaker 2: Where he is He in contact at fourteen over six, about eighty miles out of Detroit. Give me that night, brad This is General Hilton. Are you receiving me?
Speaker 5: Go ahead?
Speaker 2: General? What happened we couldn't contact you.
Speaker 5: I'll have some trouble with my stabilizer, thought I might have to land. That's okay.
Speaker 2: Now, are you sure we can't have any heavenue worries?
Speaker 6: Sir?
Speaker 2: The first experiment is being conducted tomorrow morning. Everything is ready for you, right The entire General staff will be there, maybe the President himself. Is there anything you want me to have done before you come in?
Speaker 7: Brad?
Speaker 2: Anything you want done?
Speaker 5: Hello? A for rocket.
Speaker 2: I'm not getting a response, B for grace to R for rocket. Come in R for rocket, I said he was receiving, clear as a bell, Come.
Speaker 5: In R for a rocket.
Speaker 2: He said the stabilizer had been acting up. I mean a lot of trouble at seven hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 2: Automatic stress signals are coming from Colonel Badbery's plane.
Speaker 5: Hello, crash Central.
Speaker 4: This is B for base automatic distress signal coming here on channel four two. Oh, Colonel bad Bery playing a rocket DEBT ninety three, Hey stopped B for base. Crash Central automatic signals cease to register at bean contact sixteen over eight.
Speaker 5: Carry out emergency crash procedures. Repeat.
Speaker 2: Colonel Bradberries rocket jest X ninety three has crashed on bean position sixteen over eight.
Speaker 5: Check out. I'm glad you were able to get here.
Speaker 8: General, we're going to operate very shortly.
Speaker 2: Guys here, it's a miracle he's alive. This will be more of a miracle. If he's a live one hour from me. You've got to save him. He's an important man.
Speaker 8: Yes, the White House called in of the Pentagon.
Speaker 2: We know Colonel Bradbury is important, but a shattered skull is very difficult. I know you'll do all you can.
Speaker 8: The General really keep you informed.
Speaker 2: Where is out of our hands? I have a report from crash central, sir man. Apparently Colonel Bradberry. He was the catapult parachute just before the plane crashed. Otherwise he would have been killed instantly. When he was catapults up, his chute didn't open. He fell into a group of trees for a bread. It might have been better if he'd stayed in the ship. You heard what the doctor said, Yes, a shattered skull the one brain. We need to.
Speaker 8: Carry out the experiment tomorrow and.
Speaker 5: Who lam.
Speaker 8: Son calculback time brown.
Speaker 2: Plas ca stalic eighty over forty the patients thinking that more oxygen?
Speaker 5: Yes, he should.
Speaker 7: Responding good.
Speaker 8: Careful from play?
Speaker 2: Have you a cigarette? Yes, sir, here you are, thanks? Oh this waiting waiting in more than an hour. Brain surgery is very delicate, sir, may take another hour or even more. You'll carry out my orders to postpone the experiments, yes, sir, until other of us Brad doesn't live, we'll have to start another man all over. May set the project back a year, and the year could be dangerous. No, you look surprised, Lieutenant. You don't know what this experiment's all about, do you? When I see the code name part on the paper, sell but it never has a prescription. After all, it's Mark top secret. Maybe it's about time you were told. With Brad upstairs hanging on the life by a thread, I'm going to need a bright young man to give me some important decisions. You've come through with pretty good clergies last minute or as thank yourself. Well, we'll talk more about it in a little while. Right now, I'm going to stretch out and try to rest. I'm about done in. If I hear anything, I'll awakeness. I don't expect he sleep, not with the fate of the world depending on a curtain's night.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just the lightness screful so yeah, quite a bone fragment. Fund the stallic seventy over forty. Oxygen again, it's your oxygen, MOUs nurse prepare for transfusion sixty over forty patients thinking, so that's right now, I'm going back to hurry condition saying, doctors getting the transcusion, let me help you do the bon there. Well the stalic eighty over forty. Word is responding all right, scalful.
Speaker 5: Bro. Yeah there was even the rest.
Speaker 2: How long has it been? Almost two hours? Two hours? Just about now the general staff would be arriving and bread would be checking everything for the experiment in the morning and heavy you any guess about that experiment, about what it is? But my guess is it's about a new kind of aircraft. You know. Why do you say that? Because it's an Air Force project? Well, I wouldn't say you were wrong, but you aren't code either. The experiment and the reason it's so important concerns a rocket to the moon.
Speaker 5: A rocket to the moon.
Speaker 2: But why, sir, why send one there? Who controls the moon controls the world? If we had rockets on the moon, we could compel peace on Earth. The United Nations would press a button and wipe any aggressor off the face of the Earth. That means space travel. You don't mean that we're all tenant.
Speaker 1: We haven't found a.
Speaker 2: Way to send rocket ships with human beings through space, not yet anyway. But the rocket we're experimenting with is a two way rocket. It can land on the Moon and returns from the Moon, all electronically controlled.
Speaker 5: From the Earth.
Speaker 2: Sounds fantastic. No, that's quite feasible, I assure you. But we have reason to believe that we're not the only nation thinking of this time. Is of the essence. Colonel Bradbury knows more about operating these rocks than any man of lives. Just on the verge of the experiment.
Speaker 8: This has to happen, HM, Quiet, General Hilton. Yes, Doctor Rigel taking message down to you from the operating room. But he's there is no General, He's still Doctor Rizio says that he now has a thirty percent chance.
Speaker 5: Of surviving.
Speaker 9: Part of Colonel Bravery's colors and fragments.
Speaker 8: A head flag will have to put on because of the size of the area. A new metal allophi will be used to take these five six more hours. Doctor Rizuel suggests you go home, General, where you'll be more comfortable. Positive phone you if anything happens.
Speaker 7: H.
Speaker 5: H h.
Speaker 8: He's coming out of it. Dannel Bread break, can you hear me not? Stirty Junes was on the blinds a little hm, okay, good, how easy is back still? I'll hold him, thank you ten days since the operation is just not coming out of it.
Speaker 5: He's a strong man.
Speaker 8: Almost any other person would have died.
Speaker 2: Daniel Bread Break, Channel, Brad break, can you hear me? The they rocket?
Speaker 9: All right, the rockets beginning to talk.
Speaker 2: I have doctor Keys come in at once. The advice atop a rockets General, Well, all right.
Speaker 9: Channel, you call me the less that he's coming out of it. Don't euretically typical stars, but back.
Speaker 2: At big base, and that's sort of same way it's pical. Jagon Airport window, Marcians, Ma, Marsians. They use all sorts of code names. March is probably one of them. I think at about forty.
Speaker 8: Eight hours you have to be able to track completely. We can call General hidden, tell them to come over there after tomorrow. Can't take it easily, Ternel, six months, you ought to be in pretty good shape. Nose, keep them comfortable. That's the Keys and I will leave now.
Speaker 7: Rock vilize Well, something wrong.
Speaker 2: M's called generally called the health r Marsian. Uh, how is that vac Memorandum to General Staff one. A new experiment is tentatively planned for April third.
Speaker 5: Two thousand plus six two.
Speaker 2: All security man who's have been taken three. Although severely handicapped by Colonel Bradbury's absence, uly trained specialist will endeavor to fill the gap. Anything more, General, No, no, Lieutenant Larry, I should say no. Captain you like that extra bron Certainly you've learned it, Bob, You've been a great help to me. Okay. Note the memo was trapped secret and send it back similarly to the pentagram.
Speaker 9: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: You know, Hunton, who the president? Oh, here's mister President. Of course her. Well, I've just prepared a memorandum. But that's only two weeks, mister President. We assumed about sixty days. Oh yes, sir, her work day and night to do it. Thank you, mister President. Captain change the date in the first paragraph of the memo. The new experiment is to take place in two weeks. General, that's almost impossible. I know it, and you know it. But there's one man who doesn't know it. He says it's got to be done. I'm that's disposed to argue with the President of the United States. I'd like to double check some of my notes on Genel Bradbury with you. Of course, on this afternoon, the General is coming to see him.
Speaker 9: But Colonel Bradbury is.
Speaker 8: He loves convalescence, and he's not too lucid. Now that's the point.
Speaker 2: He's not too lucid.
Speaker 10: But as he is, he talks normally for a while, makes sense, and then that tre reaction set. I have observed it myself three times.
Speaker 2: Head injury cases are quite unforgeted, perhaps, but according to my note, Colonel Bradbury's strange reaction is taking place.
Speaker 7: Always either a ten AM or five PM.
Speaker 8: Of the many instances I've observed, two have been at ten, one at five. That is on you, and in each instance, well, I can see now in my.
Speaker 2: Mind's eyes, sitting a long bed, talking quite sensibly, although in a big voice, suddenly becomes tense, grimnesses. If his head were in peat, even touches the bed clothes with tight kiss it appears to be rigid. Then, as for a few minutes, invariably from the flood of disjoint the disconnected sentence about messages, the emergency crisis, state of the world and mars.
Speaker 8: Our General is going to visit the kernel assessment. It's about five o'clock.
Speaker 9: And you expect the kernel to have another stranger.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Surely, General realize that a man who's at the here surgery.
Speaker 8: Kay, you can't tell what the General we'll realize.
Speaker 2: But my fear is that you don't see that returning is not improving as well as he might. And you may call in other doctors, but we're doing everything humanly possible. That is the irony of the situation. I could have the colonel, and surgery would have been very easy, but more important, government officials that concerned. I get worried if we, as I were investigated carefully, they might find out who you and I really are, and that would be dangerous, very dangerous. Indeed, in here, thank you, nurse. Hello, Bred, understand you wanted to see me. I can as soon as I couldn't. But sure, Bread, don't worry about me. Bread.
Speaker 7: We're scheduling the experiment.
Speaker 2: If you're up to answering a few questions about.
Speaker 7: Experiments to tell you, sure bad, Sure, I know there's a lot you want to tell me, but when you're still a sick guy. So I suppose I just asked you a few questions.
Speaker 8: And you answer them yes or no, and it'll save your energy.
Speaker 5: What time is it?
Speaker 8: Why it's a few seconds.
Speaker 7: Before five o'clock?
Speaker 8: Message coming, message coming?
Speaker 5: What message?
Speaker 2: Trying to tell you?
Speaker 11: I couldn't tell anyone else by rush smiles, martians kind to tell me what bed Go ahead and see what's the matter.
Speaker 9: Bade, Doctor.
Speaker 2: Something's happening to kind of bad?
Speaker 9: Hey, hey, uh, doctor Rigel, and you hear me.
Speaker 2: That General, you'll miss here too.
Speaker 9: You remember and parlor General say.
Speaker 2: Things human mind fellas a never place are.
Speaker 5: Mostly like you are?
Speaker 9: You m me none about the klonel that's what tire hyper definite.
Speaker 7: Experiment.
Speaker 2: Well enough now I'm inject h tria next to the moment very.
Speaker 5: Experiment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, um, Sam, that has released his temps.
Speaker 2: You sleep now?
Speaker 8: The all that and your way if the world happened to him? Doctor, I'm not certain, General.
Speaker 9: But in a few days you may be able to tell more.
Speaker 2: I know you're doing everything possible, doctor, and we're grateful for your saving Brad's life. But mightn't it be wise to call him some specialists, some other doctors, the consultation. There's so much information and advice we need from Colonel Badbury. Call him other doctor. Well, General, I don't know that that's necessary. So strange watching him, almost as if you were listening to something. You know, now that I think of it, he did say something about a message. Do you think there's any connection? I hardly think so, General, And after all we didn't hear anything. No, No, I'm afraid it was just the erratic talk of a sick and injured brain.
Speaker 12: Wow, General, you really want your.
Speaker 2: Own experience watching the chlnel like that. I think he was almost in a shit, had some crazy idea he was getting messages, message hallucinations.
Speaker 9: He was off his rapper for a while.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid I was a little boss with doctor Riggio. He's a fine man, but I feel better as some other medicals looked to Bred. Too arrange for some specialists from Army Medical to examine him. Will your Captain, yes, Look Trumpet, I want to think more. I'm the experiment.
Speaker 5: Fire you'll fare.
Speaker 2: General Hilton's office at one moment, please for you, sir, Pentagon Intelligence Section Intelligence. Hello, you know, yes, yes, are you certain for the President and the Chief of Staff and inform good it's out there in fifteen minutes right one of my car Captain. Things are happening, Yes.
Speaker 12: Sir, was cars down by at worst entrant what things?
Speaker 2: Intelligence reports that the Eastern Alliance is definitely planning the Moon rocket for breast off in six days. You know what that means if they get there before the United Nations six days and we will be ready for fourteen days. We really wanted dream on.
Speaker 12: That's right.
Speaker 2: But how somehow I must have found not about our experiment and have agents that feel for some of our vital data. That's what the emergency meeting is about?
Speaker 5: Or your cause?
Speaker 2: Very general, good luck, we're going to need it. Cheese, doctor, cheese?
Speaker 5: Have you heard?
Speaker 2: What is it? Some other doctors are examining Colonel Bradbury. If I just missed them?
Speaker 12: What of course I gave them permission.
Speaker 7: I had no choice.
Speaker 2: General Hilton requested it yesterday?
Speaker 12: Or are they?
Speaker 2: That's just it?
Speaker 12: Army, medical Army.
Speaker 2: How you can be so cold and calculating in surgery? So nervous?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 2: I cannot understand your record here is flawless. Your operational Bradbury superb. No suspicion was attached to you or to me. If we conduct ourselves in a normal professional manner. What is the rations that they are the Army about news an intelligence section. They have routines about these things. We have no choice but to keep up up here. And I know, I know.
Speaker 8: But if they ever find out.
Speaker 2: That we are the agents of the Eastern a Lands, that we have masterminded the sect of certain rocket data, they wouldn't be ruthless, Doctor Cheese, ruthless.
Speaker 5: Others.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, General isn't here.
Speaker 5: This is his aid.
Speaker 2: No, sir, I don't know. When you return, I suggest you place the information on our private fact simile line in code. Our extension is eight three. I'll then gets the papers to the General when he arrives. Yes, sir, I'll turn the fact simory line on mass we can receive it.
Speaker 6: What yep.
Speaker 13: Ah, I mean now, report regarding Colonel Bradbury Item one.
Speaker 2: Heavens doctor Regio Item two the.
Speaker 13: Metal plate surgical applied to Colonel Bradbury's skull.
Speaker 2: The metal store plate arm voices. So that's what the Colonel's hallucinations are. It's fantastic. Message is ended quickly, very quickly news very please General Hutton's office at Central Hospital. There are two staff doctors, Doctor Joe and doctor Keys right place them under arrested one a message as please, this is General Hilton's aide. When the General retire to tell him, I'll be at Central Hospital talking to Colonel Bradbury. Colonel, I'm I'm the General's aide. You can describe the voice to me.
Speaker 5: Now, what happened?
Speaker 7: My whole head vibrates, It's painful.
Speaker 2: Then I hear voices that they say that's talking to Mars Martians.
Speaker 5: Rush.
Speaker 2: Apparently the metal plate on your head somehow picks up a certain high frequency radio waves. At least that's the theory of the Army medical except the Martians. They want to stop the rocket enemies from an out the world. No, colonel, you can't really believe that. You You must have misunderstood. The real enemies are the Eastern of Linds.
Speaker 7: Our agents have been caught.
Speaker 2: The mean projects won't take place for a long time as a result, and you just take it easy. So the Army is going to track down that wavelength of bottles your head, the new recouperate piece of what can't true? Excuse me, sir, it's almost five o'clock.
Speaker 9: I've got to be going to say.
Speaker 6: Just take it easy, please, yes, eight three three eight nine one.
Speaker 2: What life.
Speaker 7: Chronos is six four three?
Speaker 12: Your code is correct.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 13: Do not send the message to Mars on the regular wavelength, but Father O plot here after use the alternate wavelength.
Speaker 2: I will submit a report explaining how our communications were discovered.
Speaker 7: You can report this.
Speaker 13: The Eastern Alliance agents have been captured by the Americans. This reduces the chances of the Earth sending a Moon rocket from.
Speaker 2: Two to only one. I will see to it that that one does not succeed.
Speaker 12: Are you, Fathertive?
Speaker 13: You can execute this plan without question. On you may report to my superiors on Mars that the observation base on the Moon is safe from discovery. Mars will continue to be the only planet controlling out of space.
Speaker 2: That is all it shall be reported. I just said that fac similar message in my office and as quickly.
Speaker 12: As I could.
Speaker 2: Now what I know is happening, and nothing on Earth is happening in general. What are you talking about?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, everything's all.
Speaker 5: Right now, sir, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The Eastern Alliance has been taken care of and there's reason to believe Colonel Bradbury's weird hallucinations won't recur anymore. And those are the two best pieces of mus.
Speaker 12: I've heard all day.
Speaker 2: Captain, I don't know what I'd do without you, Thank you, sir. I just try to do the best I can for my country.
Speaker 3: Next week, another exciting adventure for the world of tomorrow from the years beyond two thousand ab.
Speaker 2: Be sure to listen. Two thousand trust is but it's by driver and when, as in productions and propert in today's past, I'll rap it General Heaven with us. This is a tenman Leslie. Marking was Doctor Viggio, that program was Doctor Brian Bell Joes, Doctor Keeth. The orchestra was by Emerson Buckley.
Speaker 5: Music composed by Elliot Riccoby.
Speaker 2: Down Wild Chamber and Adrian Tenner Engineer Barb. All right, this is Ken Marvin speaking.
Speaker 5: Return on Time. God.
Speaker 1: That was two thousand plus with the Rocket and the Skull. Good evening and thank you for sharing this broadcast.