Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sociology Show podcast. My guest for this episode is Dr Jennifer Fleetwood talking about her book What we talk About When we talk about Crime. Before you listen to this, you might want to have a look at some of the case studies that Jennifer talks about. So her book covers seven famous case studies. Some of these people you will have heard of, but if you haven't, you might want to go and look them up find out a little bit about them before you listen to the episode. So, these seven different case studies that Jennifer covers in her books are about Howard Marx, Shemima begam Mo, Farrah Prince, Andrew Chanelle Miller, The Criminal Podcast, and Myra Hindley. So if you do want to do a little bit of googling, have a look at some of those case studies. If you're not sure who they are or aware of their case study at all, have a quick look at those before you have a listen to the episode. And so, without further ado, let's go over to the episode with Dr Jennifer Fleetwood. Hi, you're listening to The Sociology Show, a podcast about absolutely anything to do with the wonderful world of sociology. Whether you're a teacher, a lecturer, a student, or just taking a passing interest, This podcast will look at a range of issues from social class, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, religion, crime, education, and anything else that sociology has to offer. My name is Matthew Wilkin. In each episode, I will speak to someone working in the field of sociology and let them explain all about their own interests, their research, and their experiences. So put your ear botes in, turn the volume up, and let's be sociology geeks together. H Hello, and welcome to the Sociology Show podcast. Would you like to start by telling us a little bit about who you are and what you do?
Speaker 2: Please, Good afternoon, Matthew. I'm Jennifer Fleetwood. I'm a senior lecturer in criminology at the University of Greenwich, sociologist and a criminologist and interested in stories, especially.
Speaker 3: Where they relate to crime.
Speaker 2: And I'm also interested in things around women in drugs, so I guess a mix of different things that keep me busy.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and your previous book. We're going to talk about that nine books that your previous book was Drug Mules wasn't it Women in the international co kind trade? Fascinting? Now, do you want tell us a little bit about that before we move on to your new book.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: So the Drug Mules book came out from my PhD, and it took it took me a long time to write. I think there's this idea that as academics we can just bash at.
Speaker 3: A book quickly.
Speaker 2: But maybe some people can, but for me, definitely not. And that book was based on a chunk of ethnographic research in prisons and Ecuador, so I would visit people in prison. There were lots and lots of people there incarcerated for drug trafficking offenses. And my PhD was really specifically women. Kind of grew out of my interest in gender actually as a student of sociology, and I was interested in how and whether gender mattered in the drug trade.
Speaker 3: So it turned into.
Speaker 2: A book about drug trafficking and how people got involved. But one of the things that I was so struck by, actually with spending time in men's and women's prisons was how differently they were able to speak about their.
Speaker 3: Involvement in the drug trade. Right.
Speaker 2: So in the women's prison, I was told everyone here is a drug MUO, nobody knows anything, whereas in the men's prison, I was told everybody here seemed to claim to be some sort of a boss or an authority, or they had something to teach me. And I just thought, it can't be that stark that women don't know anything and men know everything. So I was kind of interested in probing how and why women found it so difficult to talk about crime and men seemed to find it so easy to claim expertise. So that book, I guess, is where my interest in stories and talk about crime first developed. But it's also a story about how people get involved in the drug trade and what they do and how that's shaped by their gender in particular.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and so you're really interesting stories. I mean, before we get into a new but what's kind of your methodology?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: Do you do a lot of unstructured interviews?
Speaker 2: So for the Drug Trafficking book, the method was really just trying to eke out time to allow people to tell a story, which sounds like quite a straightforward thing, Like you know, you may be thinking, we just whack on, whack out the tape recorder, ask a couple of questions and bosh, off we go, but actually in the women's prison, there was a real challenge in getting women to talk about drug trafficking. So for me, there was a long time of that kind of ethnographic immersion of getting to know people, of getting their trust, and allowing them to tell different kinds of stories about themselves.
Speaker 3: So I might go in looking for.
Speaker 2: An interview about drug traffcking, but often they wanted to talk about other things too, So there was a long process of really making time and space to listen to this stories that were important to them, and also making space so that they could kind of talk without judgment about their involvement in the drug trade in ways that were a little bit messy sometimes. I mean maybe messy is the wrong word, but for women, there wasn't much kind of social space, I guess, for them to talk about their involvement in the drug business and anything other than kind of talking about regret and shame. And I wanted to collect those stories because they're true and important, but I also wanted to allow space for maybe people to tell other kinds of stories about moments of pride actually or exhilaration or joy, or nervousness or anxiety or contradiction. So I guess that project was ethnographic and it was also about unstructured interviews. So the question I would always start with was tell me how you got here, which isn't a question about crime at all. Actually, it's really a question about inviting people to talk about biography and theirselves and to kind of foreground the stories they thought were important.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's also a question that allows people to start the.
Speaker 2: Story and end it where they want to, which I think is really fun. Shall I talk about the methodology for the current book as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean that would be great. I mean I've just introduced the current book and what we talk about when we talk about crime, So yeah, go for it. Jennifer tell us about that one.
Speaker 2: So the current book's a bit different in that I didn't meet any of the people whose stories I'm looking at. But I think there's something important about putting stories in context.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, in the same way that I was interested in how the prison as institution and gender as another kind of institution shape people's stories, I wanted to try and read people's stories in context. So in the book, what we talk about when we talk about crime, we're looking at at examples of well known personal stories about crime in public. My editor was really keen that they'd be well known ones to catch people's attention.
Speaker 3: But it looks at things.
Speaker 2: Like criminal biography, Howard Marx's book Mister Nice, Shamima Beggham's Times Interview, more far and made a documentary with the BBC about his experience of human trafficking. I also looked at Prince Andrew's News and Night interview, and there's a few more after that. There's also a chapter looking at some of my Rhindley's writing. So what I would do is sit down with the story as I would much with an interview, and kind of read it really carefully and attentively. And Catherine color Reisman in her book about narrative analysis, she gives us one question, which is why was the story told that way? And it's such a lovely open way of doing analysis, of kind of interpreting, and then to kind of flesh out the stuff about context. I just read around stories as much as I could, and this is the joy I think of using well known examples is that there's so much available, especially online. So for example, for Shamima Begam's Times Interview, Andrew Lloyd. I'm now questioning whether I've got his name right, but I think I have. Andrew Lloyd did. He did interviews with GQ magazine, He took part in podcasts. He wrote his own story for The Times about quote unquote finding Shamima. So there was loads of background information as well as reports produced by non governmental organizations, but the conditions in the camps. There was subsequent interviews with Shmima Begam. So it's just taking that interview as the kind of the central point, I guess, and then fleshing out all the way around it kind of the context for the stories as much as could be known, and that took a different form I think for each of those different kinds of stories. So for the Myra Hindley chapter involved lots of digging deeply in prison regulations actually, which was unexpected.
Speaker 1: Was that difficult in terms of the validity of some of the sources, you know, what you had to wade through to get to the the accurate stuff, if you like.
Speaker 2: It's a really it's a really interesting question because I think when we think about narrative, there's a tendency to kind of bracket off reality almost because we tend to focus on how stories make meanings of that reality. And I think you just kind of need to take everything in context a little bit. I mean, when non governmental organizations like say the Children are producing a report, they're producing it with kind of particular aims in mind, which are you know, to do with campaigning and other things and fundraising perhaps as well and as also kind of justifying the work that they do as an important NGO. But it also offers these little glimpses of what life is like in the camp that just to help me kind of flesh things out a little bit more so, I think questions about validity.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I struggle with this a little bit. I know that it's a key I and sociology, But when I think when it comes to personal stories, we don't just we don't just lie or make things up most of the time, I think there's I guess I'd say there's always a kind of knob of truth there if we look for it, and as long as we're taking it in context and reading carefully and thinking about what does it really say, what's it really about?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I guess I struggle with validity.
Speaker 2: It does my head it's difficult.
Speaker 1: It's a mindfield, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Really? It really really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean the sort of basic principle of what you're talking about across the seven cases that you've mentioned is that in all of these cases that the people have gone public, they're telling their story, Whereas once upon a time this wasn't necessarily the case. A lot of a criminal activity was sort of part of the underworld or was not discussed or is not mainstream. So what kind of ideas did you undercover in terms of why people are much more willing to get their story out there than they would have been the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for me that's the real question behind the book. I think one I hope to explore by looking at these different case studies was a sense of how do we get here? How are the how do these stories come to be told? And I think there's not really one answer that's such as sociological kind of stereotypically sociological answer, isn't there like, well, there's not one answer. But there's loads of drivers in play, I think, and some of them are super recent and short, and some of them have these kind of super long historical roots. I think one of the most recent is probably to do with things like social media and podcasts that just do this thing of making space for personal stories to be told at length in a way that I can't imagine them being told on other media. So I think, is it Sean Atwood? He has a podcast where he interviews lots of criminals of repute, usually after they've done time, like East End gangsters and so on. But those interviews can last like three hours and they're really long, and they're really in depth, and I can't think of any other media where those kinds of stories would be told. And the other thing with social media is that it has this way of finding kind of niche audiences for things, So it produces audiences and it produces kind of space. And then I think there's also something to do with changes in criminal justice and the ways that tech personal testimony has heard, and I think that particularly applies to victim stories. And I read this beautiful book called The Era of the Witness by a French philosopher historian called Via Vorca.
Speaker 3: That it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: She describes the ways that testimony in World War Two by people in ghettos, people experiencing the Holocaust was kind of written and shared in these really limited ways because for people who survived the Holocaust, there was this huge amount of shame attached to it. Actually, so these stories that now we think of it is like, well, they're so well known, they're taught that we have, you know, world Holocaust and other things. And she draws out the ways that the Eichmann trial produced a platform for these testamenties, these personal stories that previously had this kind of shame attached them, and they've been told only amongst these small circles, and that kind of sends out ripples in criminal justice. And then in the eighties we see the introduction of victim personal statements or victim impact statements as they're sometimes known. And one of the chapters looks at our famous example of that a woman who it was published at the time on Buzzbeed actually where she was Emily Doe, I think, and she's now come out publicly her name is Janelle Miller, and she's written her own autobiography about how that story was told. So there's these things in media. There's something to do with criminal justice. I think there's something also in the air about therapy. So over the course of decades, we've kind of seen a therapy kind of going mainstream. So the idea that talk is good, or talk is a way to healing or justice has kind of become mainstream. And I think often people look to tell a story when an injustice has been done in the hope that it will kind of reveal that injustice, maybe gain public sympathy or empathy, or produce some kind of change, either in society at large or in the particulars of their case.
Speaker 3: So there's different things.
Speaker 2: In the air I think to do with sort of technology, culture, justice institutions, and all of those are in play.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: Sociology Show podcast relies on the kind contributions of sponsorship and donations. If you enjoy the show, then you can help with the hosting costs by donating as little as five pounds on the go fundme page. Simply visit UK dot GoFundMe dot com and so for the Sociology Show. If you can donate, then you will be sent a Sociology Show penn as a small thank you for your continued support.
Speaker 1: Of the show. So I was just looking at, you know, of just seven different case studies that you did. I can totally understand the sort of cathartic way in which sharing stories such as Chanelle Miller who just mentioned, or maybe the mo Fara story on ones such as Howard Marx, you know, on that one, is there something slightly different going on there? This is going to sound really pessimistic, but is it an opportunity for fame? It's what I'm trying to get that.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, So I love I love writing the chapter on Howard Marx because it's such a contrast to the rest. But me is such an important example in that criminal memoir genre. It kind of sticks out against the ones that had come before it, and I think for people of my age, it had this kind of cult status. Everyone was reading. It was everyone's bookshelves. Howard Marx was invited to speak at Glastonbury and so what, Yes, I think it's the short answer. It is about kind of something to do with fame and notoriety. So whereas autobiographies, criminal autobiographies and memoir before that had been about remorse, Howard Marx's autobiography is really celebrating his identity as an outlaw, and it kind of fits with the counter culture of the nineteen nineties, kind of geezer chic.
Speaker 3: Think about Guy.
Speaker 2: Ritchie's films like Lockstock, Two Smoking Barrels. There's a kind of a glamorization of counter culture and of badness that.
Speaker 3: He played on really successfully.
Speaker 2: But I think keep in mind also that he was a graduate of Oxford, so he has this kind of status that's all that kind of working class masculinity, but not of it that allows him to be this kind of gentleman outlaw.
Speaker 1: And then I've got to ask about the Prince Andrew Well, was that one about a lot of people said the time is why is he doing this? I mean that seems the strangest of the lots to make that long.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is, isn't it?
Speaker 2: And I think for me when I was researching around this, I think his has this kind of legacy almost of the nineteen nineties chat show actually with than anything. If you think about people like Parkinson and Oprah, these kinds of interviews are about that kind of revealing of one's innermost self and a search front sort of self understanding through talking. So that idea through therapy finds its home in Rickard Lake and Oprah Winfrey.
Speaker 3: And I think it's maybe.
Speaker 2: Useful to read Prince Andrew against the Princess Diana interview panorama that she did, where she was able to was kind of backed into a corner, I guess, but she was able to give this really endearing interview where she was very honest and she revealed this kind of inner difficulty, and it's not about how she's a great princess or a kind of a public speaking role. It has this kind of confessional, intimate feeling that kind of gained her this title of the Queen of Hearts. And I think maybe Prince Andrew thought that if he would talk about things, if he would be honest and open and intimate, that people would come to understand him. And it kind of spectacularly backfires on him, which you know, I think as anyone who's seen that interview will know. So I think he thought that people would come to understand him, and.
Speaker 3: It really fails.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think in part because of the way that he talks about Epstein's victims and his failure to acknowledge them. His kind of repeated denials saying well, I didn't see anything, I never met this woman, I don't know anything, and I kind of had this undermining impact.
Speaker 3: And I think he almost.
Speaker 2: Wanted us to see him as a victim of a circumstance, and I think people just didn't.
Speaker 3: They just refused to.
Speaker 2: I think they understood him properly, somebody who was quite powerful actually, and had the power to change things had they wanted to. So this is the chapter that allows me to go back and use some sociological theory, and it's Scott A. Lineman's work on accounts, and they talk about the ways that talk isn't just a kind of a decoration on the social fabric, but it's deeply part of it. And they talk about the ways that when our behavior doesn't match expectations, we can fix that by producing a good account. And I think Prince Andrew's account was a really bad one because he failed to He failed to kind of get up an apology in a language that had any cultural resonance. So he talks, he talks repeatedly about being honorable, and I think it's just an idea that didn't resonate at all.
Speaker 3: It just was so obvious that if.
Speaker 2: He was someone who was who was honorable, who had so much honor, that he might have acted differently.
Speaker 3: I would say, And.
Speaker 1: That one you know that kind of failed spectacularly in trying to get the public to see them as a victim. But that is an underlining theme about a lot of the cases, isn't it. That is that sort of the intention, even if it's subconscious, for the public to feel empathy for the individual.
Speaker 2: I think so, yes. I mean I'm thinking about Amyra Hindley's writing, for example, I mean the time that she was writing her autobiography, she's writing in prison, so she's writing this autobiography in letters, so it exists in these kind of fragments, and I was able to get access to just one of those letters. But the reason that she comes to write about herself is that for her to be released from prison, and she had served an extraordinarily long amount of time in prison, really by that point she needed to be able to influence public opinion because at that time, to be released from prison, you needed the permission of politicians, and politicians were very, very very unwilling to go anywhere near Hindley because she had such toxic associations and the public hated her so much, And so I think for her, the explicit intention really in writing was that the public would be able to understand her better would see that she had changed and would release her. And I think it's I also think, like, could you tell a story about yourself in public where you didn't want to be liked? I think who would have the power to tell that kind of story and for to not impact them? So there is something about the fact that they're told in public. They often have a kind of a campaigning aspect of them, maybe, or people are campaigning for some kind of sympathy or some change, or that we change how we see them.
Speaker 3: Perhaps.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Howard Marx is the most interesting in that he I think didn't really have anything to gain apart from kind of the fame and notoriety that followed the book. But none of that was really a given at that time, I don't think. But I think he was. He was probably well off enough. I'd like to imagine at that point that he wasn't relying on the sales of the book.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. I don't know. I think there's there. I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I think there's something about sympathy or a call for empathy that underpins that public storytelling.
Speaker 1: And from the other end as well, is that we as the public are obsessed with consuming such things, aren't we, Whether whether it's a news story, whether it's a BBC interview, whether it's a Netflix documentary. You know, if you've got something with the word true crime in it, it is incredibly popular. So what do you think is happening at the market end? Why are we so fascinated with these case studies?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think true crime is such a home for personal stories about crime.
Speaker 3: It really is, And.
Speaker 2: I think there's something market tee going on here in that true crime often relies on producing just huge volumes of material. Right, if you're going to have a podcast where each episode is an hour, you can fill those hours quite easily with personal stories and they're quite they're quite cheap actually, And this is where this is not me saying that you know, podcasts are cheap in their spirit, but I think often people take part in podcasts for free, without any expectation of anything compared to, for example, like television studios where they might invite you there, or do make up here, wash your clothes for you, allow you to stay overnight in a hotel, where they do produce a lot of content very cheaply. But then I think, what's the public appetite for these stories, and there's something in personal personal stories that draws us in. There's a wonderful anecdote by a man called Ira Glass, who was one of the early journalists on This American Life, which I think is the model from lots of podcasts that come after that. But the in this YouTube interview, he talks about the anecdote as the story and it's pure form, and he gives this vision of you know, imagine you're standing in line in the bank and someone starts telling a story. You cannot help but tune in your ear to find out what happens next.
Speaker 3: So there's this kind of.
Speaker 2: Maybe human thing that we want to tune in, and we find these really interesting. But then I think there's something else in play, which is there's this kind of perhaps declining trust in public institutions. So there was the phone hacking scandal that undermined public confidence, I think in journalism, and then we've seen numerous scandals around criminal justice. We've seen scandals at the heart of government itself, and I think people often turn to these stories as something apparently raw and authentic and true, where we've this kind of building suspicion of official accounts.
Speaker 1: And if we're talking about you know, them being authentic and true, what do you think ultimately makes a story either sit with the public, lick in a sympathetic way, or not. So I'm just looking at your range of different seven case studies you've got here. You know you would argue I think that you know Howard Marks was lauded, there was a huge amount of sympathy for the most fairest story Shemaia ma begam very much mixed, possibly more anti than pro. And then you know Prince Andrew very much anti. So what ultimately impacts the reaction of the public watching or listening to the story?
Speaker 3: Do you think That's a really really good question.
Speaker 2: And I think if it was easy to predict, I think what some people wouldn't bother telling their story. I think Prince Andrew being one of them. But a question about what resonates, I think it's a really interesting one. And I think the general public is not a homogeneous group. And when we think in terms of sociology, I think it's always useful to think about race, class, gender, and I think those are written large in the public response to those kinds of stories, and that I think some people already had the public's yere before they start speaking, right, Whereas I think, for example, Shumima Begum, because of her being young, being a woman of color, being a Muslim woman, she was treated with suspicion I think from the very start. Whereas mo Fara, despite also being Muslim, being a man of color, he had this status of being a public.
Speaker 3: Hero.
Speaker 2: I think in the UK because of his gold medals, because of his knighthood, he had a kind of a status and credibility already. And then Prince Andrew just scupper is the theory, doesn't he because he is speaking from a position of power. But maybe it's because he's in an institution that we've increasingly come to distrust.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think so.
Speaker 1: There's so many people that are anti Morey. I think that probably clouded their judgment on it before he'd even opened his mouth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I think so.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about even the ways that we've read sort of Prince Harry's autobiography that's been read the suspicion as well. Actually, and there is a lot of I'm trying to think about, are there any members of the royal family who automatically have the public trust. The answer to that, I think is not actually even Princess Kate. She's not Princess Kate anymore.
Speaker 3: She Wales.
Speaker 2: Remember there was that photograph or in Christmas time that pure shocked. So there's some there is something about how we relate to people through those social structures, through you know, the attachment to institutions and so on.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I wondered if that was the case, because I think you always have to look at the person. Then you have how charismatic they are, how they come across as just thinking of the Chanelle Miller case, you know, a young, attractive female that does have an impact on how the story sits and how people react to it as well, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It does, But I think when we think about the Chanelle Miller story, it also reminds of the ways that institutions can accord credibility to a personal story. So I think podcasts in particular do something really intriguing, which is invite people who I'm thinking about, these kind of career criminals and gangsters who might be considered dishonest or distrustful or dodgy from the start, and they make space for people to tell their personal stories. I think actually some genres of music do that too, thinking about even grime and drill and rap music give people a space and I guess a language of vocabulary to talk about themselves that can offer dignity. And what these kind of genres do is they kind of convey to the reader that these stories are worth listening to, So they do something really important.
Speaker 3: These stories might been.
Speaker 2: Told to different context, but once it's in a podcast or once it's in a newspaper, then it sets us up to say there's something really important here that we should listen to. And I think, yes, Shanelle Miller's story because it was because it had the power of the state behind it, because it was a victim personal statement. It had a kind of credibility to it because it for it to be read out in court, has to go through different processes, and it has this kind officialness that sticks to it. But also actually, she was a fantastic writer and that comes across through it, and it just means it's fantastically readable despite being about really really awful things having come to her.
Speaker 1: And I have to ask, maybe I can make this the last question, and the Myra Hindley one was there any public sympathy or feeling that you know, she now has shown remarre she's done her time. Because I just wondered, if Myra Hindley is such a well known and, as you said, hated figure, is that case gone too far for anyone to ever feel any sort of sympathy towards her.
Speaker 2: So when I was doing my research, I have to shout out a guy called Tom Clark at University of Sheffield because he was super helpful in helping me get hold of material and also kind of filling in bits of background information. And so I lived through the kind of the aftermath of the Moor's murders growing up in the sort of eighties and nineties, and was aware of Hindley. This was a time when she would have been in prison for a long time already, and her case was under review, and she would have been in the press quite a lot, but I didn't know a huge amount about the details. And actually when I started writing about Myra Hindley, it was because I wanted to write a chapter about silences and stories that weren't told in public. I thought, she's someone who's been silenced, and actually that wasn't what I found it all. So Tom Clark wrote a journal article looking at a letter that was published in The Observer and it was written by Myra Hindley and it's about five thousand words long. And she was writing to the paper because they published something that infer that she was had some psychological issues, and she said, actually, not been reviewed by multiple psycho psychologists who've said that I'm normal. And that's the worst thing about this is that nobody, nobody can tell me what's wrong with me. So how did Marahindley manage to get this five thousand word letter in the national press. And that's because she had over the years cultivated friendships with people, including Lord Longford, who was a Catholic, who visited her in prison and he was very interested in redemption. One of the reasons that Hindley's case was so important was that the death penalty was abolished right before they were sentenced. It was technically it was paused, and then it was abolished once they were in prison. But that meant that they were some of the first people to have committed crimes of the most serious order, but then there was no death penalty, so what was the state going to do with them? So they were given this initial twenty or twenty five year sentence. I forget which one. And there were lots of campaigners who were interested in this, including a man whose name escapes me at the minute, but he was editor of the Observer newspaper and he used to go and visit Hindley in prison, and he was instrumental in helping her story get told in the newspaper. So the short answer is, yes, there were people who were sympathetic, and most were people who were interested in reform and redemption, and they did give Hindley a voice, and they did allow her to tell her story in public, not that it necessarily changed the course of her case.
Speaker 3: She was never.
Speaker 2: Released from prison, and she died in custody in the early two thousands.
Speaker 3: But I think there's always.
Speaker 2: An audience for a story. I think, even if it's quite a small one.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, that one's always fascinated me because you know, most people know the name Myra Hindley, certainly view of a certain generation, most so than he and Brady. So you know the fact that she was a woman that you know that sticks in people's mind because of the crimes that I.
Speaker 2: Committed, absolutely absolutely, and she has I mean, iconic is the word that strings springs to mind, and not in a good way, I think, But she was so she was so emblematic of social anxieties at the time in the nineteen sixties, about changing role of women, about young people not seeming to want seeming to want to do the same things that their parents had done. So they kind of tapped into these social anxieties, and then they were really at the heart of changes in the criminal justice system. There was one rule about telling about prisoner communications that changed while they were in prison, and there was a time when all prisoner letters were checked on the way out, and then as the prison population grew, that became kind of a man and only category A prisoners were or people who'd committed defenses against children, and that exception was surely written with them in mind. So they've just they've just been at the heart of so much I think that was going on, and they have this continued resonance and people are still interested in them.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a difficult chapter to write, and I did wonder about including it, I think because I thought, what could I possibly add So much has been written about them, But I think there is something still to say, and I enjoyed writing that chapter, I think would be yeah. I think I did enjoy writing overall, but reading about Hindley and our crimes was confronting and difficult.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I can understand that. Thank you, Thank you, Jennifer. Do you want to say a little bit more about the book if people want to find out a bit more or want to purchase the book or two?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: The book is called What we Talk About When We Talk About Crime, and it's published by a small independent press called notting Hill Editions. But you can find it online in all the usual online bookshops. You can also buy it from Waterstins, and you can also buy it directly from the publisher. It's very reasonably priced at only ten ninety nine, and it's a lovely little book. It's not too long, the chapters are nice and short. I think I had a reader in mind who's hopping on the tube or the boss or in a waiting room somewhere, and I wanted to give them something short and thought provoking that they could take with them wherever they went.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant. Thank you, Thank you so much for your time today. Jennifer, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for taking the time to listen to the podcast. If you would like to contact the show or be interviewed, then please email The Sociology Show podcast at gmail dot com.