Speaker 1: God channeling is dinner clerk.
Speaker 2: Get them Dives makes the cat backhand sign.
Speaker 1: Dustin off that gold globe said, you want my spot, come and get it.
Speaker 2: Wanna take your shot.
Speaker 1: We're waiting for you.
Speaker 3: beIN.
Speaker 2: You're looking real hot.
Speaker 1: Come and get it. We're here.
Speaker 4: The road comes through La.
Speaker 1: Come get it. If you won't it, I got it. Do you think you can beat this team in a series?
Speaker 2: I got it?
Speaker 5: Best overall, Miss Dan Klass Padres fans can line up to kiss our.
Speaker 2: Ring. You gotta do what I do if you won't my spot.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dodgers on Deck. Now your host walking you up to first pitch.
Speaker 6: Tim kats Hi everybody, and welcome in too, Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck your official Dodgers pregame show your world. Champion Los Angeles Dodgers twenty eight and fifteen on this season, first place atop the NL West, a half game ahead of those San Diego Padres. After splitting the first two games with the Athletics, the Dodgers go for the series win to night on show Hey O Tani, fifty to fifty Bobblehead Night, First pitch from Dodgers Stadium is coming. Up at seven to ten. Between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Marong Goo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from both managers, Mark Kotze of the Athletics, from er Cal State Fullertson standout. You also hear from the Dodger skipper Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David Vasse joins us throughout the show. We got your Dodgers magical moment. Shortly we'll visit with Kirsten Watson, and at just a few minutes we'll head out to the gapin Motors broadcast with with Tim Nevert and Jose Moto. Well. Last night it was a bounce back game for Yamamoto and the Dodgers. Yoshi Yamamoto, coming off that rocky start against the Diamondbacks in Arizona, he was solid last night six innings, three runs, four hit, six strikeouts. The Dodgers offense, which was quiet the night before, erupted last night at Dodger Stadium. In the first show, Aotani led things off off with his thirteenth home run the season, Dodgers up one to nothing. Then in the second Andy Piz let off the inning with the blast.
Speaker 5: Andy Pies will lead off Confordo and Outman to follows seven and eight in the Dodger order against right hander Gunner Hogland. First pitch hammer down the left field side. It is gone. That's a home run, Andy Piez. He just ambush Hogland on the first pitch.
Speaker 4: Home run numbers seven for Piz. It's two to nothing.
Speaker 1: Solo home run for Piz.
Speaker 6: Dodgers two to nothing lead over the Athletics, who came back with two runs of the third, one and the fourth. They actually took a three to two lead in the fifth, though the Dodgers tied it up thanks to Hey Song Oh.
Speaker 5: One pitch swung on it well hit to right field. This ball heading back toward the walls.
Speaker 4: Con that is gone.
Speaker 5: It's the first major league home run for his son Kim, and the Dodgers have tight up three to three.
Speaker 4: Is Kim goes deep.
Speaker 6: In the pavilions, somebody game the baseball first home run of his big league career for hey son Kim. That's the top tier play of the game, brought to by ARCO quality, top tier gas for less. Dodgers and Athletics tied to three, and this six Dodgers took the lead with an RBI single from Miguel Rojas, up four to three. Then the eighth, the Athletics walked show Heyo Tani to get the Mookie Betts, who made him pay with the two run double. Max Munsey then followed up with the three run home run. Dodgers, with five in the inning, took a nine to three lead. They go on and win by that same final score. Yoshi Yamamoto to win his fifth of the season. Dodgers improved a twenty eight and fifteen on the season. They remained a half game up on the Padres in the NL West, and Tonight the rubber game of this three game series, Matt Souer on the mound for the Dodgers. It is a bullpen game. A sellout crowd expected on this show. Heyo Tani bobblehead Night. First pitch is seven to ten and with more we head out to the Gaping Motors broadcast booth as we welcome in Tim Never and Jose Mode.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Tim. It's a gorgeous evening at Dodgers Stadium. What else is new? As the Dodgers get set to take on the Athletics for the third and final game of this series. It is the rubber match, as the Dodgers and A's have split the first two. Dodgers, winning nine to three last night, really got the bats going, especially late, putting up five runs in the eighth inning to put the game away. Max Munsey with his second home run of the year, show Hey Otani, Andy Paiz, and Hessan Kim had his first major league home run last night. Today, it's a bullpen game for the Dodgers. Matt Sower will come out first. He'll start, making his fifth appearance in his first since the eleventh in Arizona.
Speaker 4: He's one to zero with.
Speaker 5: A one five to four earned run average. And on the other side it's Osvaldo Bideaux. Badel was two and three with a four to seven to five earned run average, making his ninth start and Jose. It took a little bit last night after Otani's first inning home run, but the Dodgers finally got the offense going the re leadoff home runs in the game, with pie His and Kim doing the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Part of the formula was the Dodgers control the strying zone quite well. Yesterday they had base runners in seven out of the eight innings and they only struck out with seven times had six walks. So there was pretty much a combination of putting pressure on the a's all throughout the evening, having some good at bats utilized in the other part of the field quite well. Three for seven, well men of scoring visit you mentioned Miltani, Betts, Freeman, Muncie and Pie has eight hits seven RBI. I think if that formula, and then with a guy in the bottom that was so good yesterday and Kim that'll.
Speaker 5: Work tonight is a big night for the Dodgers organization. It's a big night for a young man named Dalton Rushing making his major league debut. He'll make his first major league start behind the plate tonight. It is just it's always a big night for an organization when the number one prospect gets called up and gets to.
Speaker 4: Play, gets to play and earns it. That's one thing. This guy was not just brought up because he's got a name or reputation, or he's a first rounder or second rounder. He is a guy that went down and two hundred and sixty four career games in the minors, two seventy seven average, fifty four home runs, fifty five doubles, one hundred and eighty five RBI four to twelve, on base five nineteen, slugging nineteen thirty one ops. And that tells you Number one, he's a hard contact guy, has a great understanding of the strike zone. We're just talking about spring training. He went two for ten, played in thirteen games. He walked nine times, so his on base percentage in spring training was six nineteen. And I'm just happy to see and talking to him yesterday and throughout pretty much this season. His understanding of the responsibilities of being a guy that takes care of the pictures in communication and learns how to call a game and understands what sequences as Dave Roberts was saying today about watching the game last night, and these tendencies out of das hit are. So he takes a lot of pride number one, in the catching part. But the hitting will be there slowly but surety, because he does know his own quite well.
Speaker 5: He took from a batch at first base in TRIAA this year, only one in left field, one game in left field. He played a bunch of games at first base, mostly behind the plate. Dave Roberts telling us yesterday and a little bit today that he's gonna catch here, that he's gonna catch twice a week, he's gonna do all the off game work, and he's they're not gonna have Will Smith catch three games in a row now and Dalton Rush, He's gonna get plenty of time.
Speaker 4: Suc coosecutive years. Will has been backed up at the end of the season. Remember the previous year was ripped, which nobody knew about until after the season, and then last season when slided second base with the ankle. So it's got to dispatchage him. You know that we'll want to catch every day. Will that caught every single inning this past postseason two and thirty. You won as far as your spossible, especially with a bat coming up here for a long season.
Speaker 5: And a milestone game for Freddie Freeman as he plays in his five hundredth game as a Los Angeles Dodger tonight, Osvaldo Bideau for the A's and Matt sour starts a bullpen game for the Dodgers. First pitch lineups not too far away, Tim all right.
Speaker 1: As we counting down to first pitch, Dodger fans get your game. Dame Shaky's Pizza Parlor.
Speaker 6: What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's on Shaky's dot Com. Coming up, I'm Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck. You're gonna hear from not one but two managers, Dave Roberts, Mark Kodseai manager of the Dodgers, manager of the Athletics.
Speaker 1: We'll check in with David.
Speaker 6: Bas say, we'll break down this pitching matchup, but up next to your Otani rewind and we'll visit with sports and at LA's Kirsten Watson. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Athletics on this Thursday night. It's show Hey Otani Bobblehead Night. First pitch is seven ten. I'm Tim Kas's World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA Dodgers Faceball.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and Athletics. Matt sour as Loaldo Vito.
Speaker 1: The pitching matchup. First pitch from the Ravine set first seven ten. This is the Otani.
Speaker 5: Rewinde to Old Miss and was drafted in the first round again. This ball swung out and hammered tape to right fair. See you that ball's gone. Otani with his thirteenth home.
Speaker 7: Run of the year.
Speaker 4: That didn't take very long.
Speaker 5: Three pitches into the game and the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Have a won nothing lead.
Speaker 5: Three one. A little tapper toward the third basement and do heart rushes one hands.
Speaker 4: He's right at first.
Speaker 1: That's a base hit for Oltani.
Speaker 6: Show hey Otani two for four, a home run, two runs scored in RBI last night. Oh don't look now, but show hey Otani leads the majors and run scored with forty six.
Speaker 3: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 6: Hey Garson now joins us. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call Eat seven seven Cars for Kids right now, Friendly agents standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K to donate your car today.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 6: Two big things happening at the stadium tonight, Bobblehead Night.
Speaker 1: The fifty to fifty show.
Speaker 6: Hey, Bobblehead is tonight, and I know there's a buzz there is.
Speaker 8: It's honestly packed on the field right now, Like to it's like what it's the A series. It is a I thought it was Wednesday all day today, but it's a Thursday night, and so you can feel the energy already. Fans are here. I will say fans did listen though to the note that every single ticketed.
Speaker 1: Fan is going to get a bobblehead.
Speaker 8: So there wasn't lines down to what downstadium drive, you know that, but it was definitely packed, so people are already inside. You can feel the energy also just from the excitement of last night. The wind a lot of home runs, so we'll see, you know, usually on the Bobblehead night. To be fair, it didn't happen on movies Bibblehead night, but usually you might see a home run. Maybecause it's fifty to fifty Bobblehead tonight, maybe we see a stolen base and a home run. He seemed to love doing that last year whenever it was a big moment, So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: Also, besides the Bobblehead, the major League debut.
Speaker 1: Keirston of Dalton Rushing.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, it's Dalton times now. And when it comes to him, he is someone he's so excited first of all, like just for him to finally get this opportunity. Dave Roberts talked about it yesterday. He's gonna get some runway when you look at kind of who he's catching for today, it's going to be a bullpen game and Matt Salvers going to have the start, and he's got familiarity with him, so whether it's him, whether it's Justin Robleski who's been called up today, so he's gonna be seeing some arms that he's like, he's very familiar and so that adds to the comfortability. That wasn't the intention when Dave Roberts put him behind the plate today. He wanted to give Will Smith a day off, so I was not playing three in a row or having just played three in a row. So for that case, that was kind of what the thought process was. But for Dalton yesterday, he was sitting with Dave Roberts in bob every time Yoshinobu was on the mound and when Will Smith was catching, he was taking in so much information, whether it was the signs, the situation, the game calling, all of the different things, and that was something that he actually took the initiative up doing. It wasn't something that the coaches asked him to do, and so Dave Roberts one was just really pleased with that. It kind of shows the maturity and who he is and the type of competitor he is.
Speaker 1: He wants to go out there.
Speaker 8: And do a good job, and so he's just soaking up so much information.
Speaker 1: But he's ready.
Speaker 8: He's gonna have a lot of friends and family here today to support him making his major league debut, and it's his time now, so everyone's very excited for him.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be exciting night.
Speaker 6: You can already hear the buzz as we leave you up the first pitch, Thank you curiously still to come here, I'm Wronggo Casino. Dodgers on deck will dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 1: David Vetze goes.
Speaker 6: One on one with one of the great guys in baseball, Athletics manager Mark Kotze.
Speaker 1: But up next, we'll get you to an injury report. A we'll hear from.
Speaker 6: Dodger manager Dave Roberts and Dodgers and Athletics first pitch at seven to.
Speaker 1: Ten on show. Hey O Sani bobblehead night.
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Kasis, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on your home for the Blue All season law.
Speaker 6: Brongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Thursday nights as we lead up to first pitch Morongo Casino Resort and Spa a Grand Slam for good times.
Speaker 1: First pitch coming up at seven times.
Speaker 3: It's the La Dodger Injury Report.
Speaker 6: Presented by UCLA Healthy Official Medical Partner. You'r Los Angeles Dodgers. Evan Phillips on the IEL to Oscar and is Tommy Emmon looking to come off the I L? Looks like next week now. Tyler Glass now on the IL Blake Snell throwing You heard.
Speaker 1: From David vas say that updated yesterday. That is good news.
Speaker 6: Michael Kopek on a rehab assignment in Oklahoma City. Bruce dark Graderole on the sixty day i L. Clayton Kershaw just to getting closer and closer two days away.
Speaker 1: When he makes his return off the I L.
Speaker 6: A's head back out to Dodger Stadium and checking in with the Dodger Skipper.
Speaker 4: Any questions for Dave Dave? Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 1: Can you talk about the pressure the dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 9: I think there's some of that, but I think right now I feel good with Will not catching three in a row, So I think that's more of the kind of the genesis behind it. But it certainly helps that you know, Dald's gonna be catching guys that he's familiar with.
Speaker 7: Reski now here.
Speaker 3: Is the hope that potentially even then, just considering.
Speaker 4: That both build death can take down the.
Speaker 9: Entirety of this game, we'll see, you know, justin I just you know, getting him here, I think around the guys, the coaches, I think is a good thing. And so I don't know what particular role he'll play tonight, so we'll kind of read and react on how you know sour does.
Speaker 4: Was again saying up the plat round or is he getting anny closer to getting all of them out?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know when that's gonna be. But from what I hear that the catch play, the flat ground stuff has been good, but I'm not sure when he's going to get on the mountain though, where is your interest.
Speaker 4: At this point? That pattered today, it's very good spot to just go back to the traditional five minute rotation about locking meeting.
Speaker 9: The next right have Well, I think so you know, if we look out to the next series, it's uh, it's Dustin, you know, it's May, and then it's Kersh and then it's Gonsolin and then so you know, for the next you know, a few days and and we'll see how it goes with Sour going forward and obviously with land In. But I think we're in a good spot. But it's still going to be time obviously with you know, Blake, Snow and Uh and Glass. Now you know a little bit behind all.
Speaker 6: Right, there's Dave Roberts giving an update on some of the Dodger pitchers on the I L and what the plan is moving forward with this rotation with a couple of holes. Now, Oki Sasaki should have been his start tonight in said Matt Sower gets to start in a bullpen game. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids. Right now, it's friendly agent standing by. It's Cars with the K donate your car today. We continue here on Dodgers on Deck. We will check in with David Vasse so we lead you up to first pitch on this Thursday night show, Hey Otani Bobblehead Night, Dodgers Athletics. I'm Tim Kas's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: Dodgers Athletics.
Speaker 6: Matt Sour the opener for the Dodgers on show, Hey Otani Bobblehead Night, first pitch in the ravine, coming up at.
Speaker 3: Seven ten, joining Tim kits on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 7: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger insider David Basse all.
Speaker 6: Right, DV last night the Dodgers offense. He rupped it after being held to just one run the night before and last night late in the game, Mookie Betts showed a lot of emotion after that to run double.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about that? Mark consee who's going to join us later in the show. Decided to walk show. Hey O Tawni with first base open in the eighth inning of last night's game in a one run ball game with runners at first and second, and Mooki Betts made him pay and our guy Rick Krajuski next door actually had a great note in those situations over the course of the last two years. Mookie Betts is three for four with seven RBIs, including that two run double. After last night's game, we caught up with Mooki on the field. The emotions had cooled down, but the competitive spirit was certainly still there.
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, there's only so many moments you're gonna get. You know, we all went on played the game for so long, and so coming up in a situation like that, you know, the opportunities I'm blessed for, especially beat behind show. Hey, there's so many, but anytime you can come through and help help the guys win, I mean, it's always fun.
Speaker 4: That was a big hit for Mooki, who has not been swinging the bat that badly. But certainly, you know, it's weird. Mookie always needs to be reminded how good he is, and I think he reminded himself in the eighth inning last night.
Speaker 6: David is shriven by four. If there's one thing to be like, its choices, fine yours. With the fort f one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough, this mark can only be called f one fifty smart?
Speaker 1: What are the Dodgers gonna do with this decision?
Speaker 6: Cut up David's lingering here with Tommy Edmund and to Oscar Hernandez possibly coming back. Hey, song King, what's the smart decision to make here? As far as roster.
Speaker 4: Spots, well, both those guys will return next week, whether it's by the end of this homestand or when the Dodgers head out to the East Coast for their six game road trip, and James Houtman, who's starting again tonight, is likely the first one to be sent out. But then after that, the Dodgers still have to debate the pros and cons of sending Hayesan Kim down to the minor leagues or keeping him on the bench. There's going to be opportunities for him, and you never know what can happen with players to whether or not they got nagging injuries. So you know, I feel like today I was convinced. Yesterday, I was all in on sending him down and having regular at bats, But I was convinced today that there would be plenty of opportunities for him to play here. And I noticed on Chris Taylor's left leg he still had that heavy knee brace on it, so that front leg has been barking for quite some time. We'll see whether or not Chris Taylor plays through it whenever the time comes to make that decision.
Speaker 1: If the leg's a barking, Iel is coming.
Speaker 6: Dalton Rushing, speaking of coming, he's come on up to the big leagues, Dave, and he's making his debut. You can hear the buzz at Dodger Stadium right now.
Speaker 4: That's not the buzz. That's the sound of thunder off his bat during batting practice, Tim it was electric. I mean, it was one of those batting practices sessions that you stop and watch. I mean I was talking to actually the strength trainer, Jonathan Irb, who Kato Tani's home run ball in Miami while Rushing was taking BP, and I said, hold on, let me watch this, because Rushing was hitting home runs halfway up the right field pavilion. It's gonna be interesting tonight to see how he handles, you know, four or five different pitchers. There's a lot of game planning to process. But I can't wait to see him hit tonight and see whether or not that batting practice translates to tonight's game.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a fun noe doubt about it.
Speaker 6: Time now for the Dodger Jermy Botch you by Santa Anita for Dave and I pick races. We're looking at tomorrow Friday's first race, six furlongs, currently only a five horse race.
Speaker 1: Who do you like?
Speaker 2: TV? Wow? Only five? Huh?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going with since it is oh Twani fifty to fifty night belly up the number three horse.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go with the two horse Carver, Carver the tours. Good luck to you, Dave.
Speaker 6: We'll check back in with you in just a little bit. Celebrate ninety years of horse racing. It's Santa Anita every Friday through Sunday with millions in payouts. You got the Mother's Day dying that was last weekend. That was a big treat for everybody. And now they got all the events happening every weekend, including free Fridays with drink specials.
Speaker 1: That's tomorrow. Go to Santa Anita dot com.
Speaker 6: Slash events coming up here on Rogo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We've heard from one manager, Dave Roberts. Coming up, you're gonna hear from Mark Kotze Athletics manager. But up next your Dodger's Magical Moment. Dodgers Athletics first pitch is seven ten. I'm Tim Kass, World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Athletics. Matt Sour your opener, first pitch coming up at sevent ten.
Speaker 4: Dog who wants Hot.
Speaker 3: Time for the Hawfing Magical Moment pitch Magical Magical presented by Hawpy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 6: We go back to nineteen eighty eight the World Series between the Dodgers and the A's. We go to Oakland, California, Thursday night, October twentieth, five point forty. First pitch, Oral Hersheizer towing the rubber going up against Storm Davis.
Speaker 1: Not a cloud in the sky though that night.
Speaker 6: As the Dodgers were up five to two going to the bottom of the ninth inning with Oral Hersheiser still.
Speaker 2: On the mound and Tony Phillips had the count three and zero. Hersheiser has come back. He has a three and two. The fans do getting on their feet. Mc Wig wags a sign out Hershiser Wines and the three to two pitch dock came out.
Speaker 4: It's Ober the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: On the world champion.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers were.
Speaker 1: Showing the page.
Speaker 2: Hersheizer reached back and he's picked up as much as he possibly could, whatever strength that he have, and Hersheiser shrinks out Tony Phillips after gone three balls in those shrinkes the Dodgers on the field, the presses there. They're the world champions of the world.
Speaker 7: And what a year.
Speaker 1: The late great Don Drysdale on the call.
Speaker 6: Dodgers beat the A's five to two, Oral Herscheizer jumping into the arms of Rick Dempsey. Oral Hersheizer that night a complete game, allowed only four hits, two runs, and struck out nine in the World Series win for your Dodgers back in nineteen eighty eight. To this Hoffey magical moment brought to by Hofey Hot Talks Haffey Sokow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years.
Speaker 1: Haffey Hot Talks Local and so great.
Speaker 6: When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check back in. Jose Mota leads up to first pitch on this Thursday Night showy O Tani fifty to fifty Bobblehead Night.
Speaker 1: I'm Tim Kates is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Athletics final game of this three game set. The homestead will continue, though, with the Anaheim Angels coming to town over the weekend. Matt Sowary opener in a bullpen game. First pitch coming up at seven ten, We head back out to the booth. Oh damn Vass standing by with Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 4: Not many people know this, Tim Kates, but our very own Jose Mota is a proud cow State Fullerton Titan. So is Oakland Athletics manager Mark Kotze, now just the athletics former closer also with the titles right, that's right, yep. I don't know if you realize this, but Mark Kotse is gonna join us, coming up here in a couple of minutes. And I asked him what or who is on his Mount Rushmore at cal State Fullerton Titans outside of AUGI Garrito spoiler alert, neither you or Colin Yee are on that Mount Rushmore Jose Colin were done. We don't like Cots anymore. Who's on your cal State Fullerton, Mount Rushmore outside of Augie Garrito. I gotta go Tim Wallack. Tim Wallack's gotta be their seventy nine Silver Spikes winner. Tim Wallack probably Bob Caffrey, because then Caffrey came in our capture nineteen eighty four and broke Wallack's home run record hit twenty at home runs. Wallack never told me that twenty at homers. And he was the team quarterback by the way too. Wow, Okay, I didn't even know they had football there. Well, you're not the only one.
Speaker 2: He had.
Speaker 4: Mark spoiler alert, Kottsey had Justin Turner at the very top of his Mount Rushmore. Their buddies, Yeah, okay, they're buddies, all right, that's all Mark Kottze. Did you ever think he would be a manager? I knew he was gonna be a co manager. No, But when he became a coach, I'm like, uh, Cots, wait a minute. Everybody says that you're more than just a coach. And then he staff and he's like, yep, I go, you're gonna be a manager. Hall and he's like yeah, now that I have the taste of it. Yeah, why not. But he he went through the ranks, so he was an advisor and then he became a coach, became a hitting coach. But man, he was one of those guys though they like a catcher. He was managing while he was playing. You know what I mean? Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, very smart guy, your very detail. Had a chance to catch up with him today a lot and boy he he Rick Henderson T shirt he had on today. Yeah he did, and uh, I mean he confirmed what we talked about. He goes, I want my guys to get on base by not taking pitches. I want my guys to get on base by hitting the baseball. Like Jacob Wilson, he said, just hit the baseball and get them based that way. I don't care about any of the stat about pitches for player parents. I don't care about any of that stuff. I want my guys to know that if Basie's something, I want them a swing. And by the way, last night he last night three or noo Yama, Malta throws a lot of short He goes, you think I'm gonna let somebody take a three year old fastball?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Down in the middle of Yamamota, no green lights, swing the bat. Is that a philosophical change because we all know about moneyball, Billy Bean all that take pitches walk. Is that a change in direction with the way the A's played baseball now somehow? Yes, David Forrest is a really good baseball man. And even though he's part of the Billy Bean tree, I would say, but he's always had a good feel for players and even the coaches, all former players, and he's like, I want my guys to relate. Every word that comes out of their mouths is because they experienced it, they lived it, they failed, and I want my guys to know that they're gonna fail sometimes, but the guys coaching them also failed. So to me, the communication becomes a little bit better, especially with the young teams. And he's pointing out to every single position he goes twenty three, twenty six, twenty four, twenty and I'm like, man, you know you're team quite well?
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 4: He loves taking on that identity being scrappy and gritty. No matter where the A's have been, whether it's Oakland, Sacramento, They've always been a gritty type of franchise and Conse seems to really embrace that.
Speaker 1: They embrace that.
Speaker 4: I think the players also have told me that it's a lot easier to play the game that way because nobody saying, hey, by the way, we brought you here because we want you to turn on two and zero and drive them ball out of the ballpark. It's like, no, put your best swing out there and just become the best player you can become. And I think guys can relate to that. Instead of be showing them a sheet and a sprite chart and saying this is what we think you can become, it's more like, whatever you can become, we're gonna get out of you somehow. And I think it starts that way, all right, Jose Before cal State Fullerton, Mark Cotsey grew up in the shadow of Dodger Stadium in Santa Fe Springs and Pico rivera great story, the father of motorcycle cop LAPD and they're just a great family that has a great grip on community too, no doubt. Thanks a lot for sharing all that, Jose will check back in with you and Tim Neverett before first pitch the alley of this three game series between the Dodgers and A's Dalton Rushing making his first major league start. Tim will send it back to you.
Speaker 6: All right, that's been Titan Talk, brought to you by your California community college.
Speaker 1: Yes, education is important.
Speaker 6: Start your future at a California community college. Financial aids available to help your tuition, books, and sometimes yep, even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so on will today and I can go to college dot com. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll get you a preview this pitching matchup Hose. I'll be back with Tim as DV alluded to with the Keys to the game. But up next, Tim and vat Sagoes one on one with Mark Kotze, Athletics manager, coming up next. As we lead you up to first pitch at seven ten, I'm Tim Kais's World champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: As we were saying, yes, is Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: It's a Dodgers he Athletics Game three of this three game set.
Speaker 6: Matt Sour on the mound to close things out for the Dodgers for the A's come to town or the Angels.
Speaker 1: Just gise me come to town.
Speaker 6: This weekend Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by zen She handcrafted Sushi. Enjoyed the game with a quick, affordable meal the whole family can enjoy. And right now, head out to your local participating in Ralph's Grocery store and find the QR code.
Speaker 1: Scan that QR code at the Zench counter. It's so easy to find. Scan it.
Speaker 6: Put your information in there. You know how to do that, and enter to win a chance for the Zench Sweet Life. At an upcoming game, You're gonna be in the sweet Premium parking all the food and drinks. It's gonna be a great time hanging out in the Zench Sweet Life again. Fine one, you're participating Ralph's Grocery Store. Just sign up using the QR code.
Speaker 3: And now what will likely be vast fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 1: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 3: This is high and tight.
Speaker 4: We're on right now by the athletics manager and certainly a legend here and other in California. Him and Phil Nevin really put cal State Fullerton back on the map in the mid nineties, and he was a Golden Spikes Award winner, And he was not only a great center fielder, a great hitter at cal State Fullerton, but also did some pitching of his own. He was their closer on the way to the College World Series. And that is the one and only Mark Cottzey. Mark, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 7: Appreciate it, No problem, David. That's a that's a very kind and elaborate introduction right there. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Hey, you deserve it. I mean, I know it feels like a long time ago when you wake up in the morning, But does it feel do you feel the same as you did back then?
Speaker 7: No, not at all. Actually, yeah, it's always it's always nice to talk about the glory days, right and feeling like we're young again and you know, creating those memories or reliving those memories of our youth.
Speaker 4: What is it about guys that go to cal State Fullerton because yourself, Phil Nevin, Tim Wallack, Justin Turner, just to name a few, not only just played the game at a high level, but also think the game at a high level.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I think it comes from our mentor and that was our head coach, Augi Gurrito. You know, I think if you ask every player that got the opportunity to play for Aggie or be around Augi. Justin Turner was my bat boy for Mike Calsa Fullerton nineteen ninety five teams, So you know, he was remarkable in the way he taught the game and life lessons through the game and how much more you can learn from failure than success. And you know, you want to say he's semi philosopher, but an incredible baseball coach.
Speaker 4: How much of Aggie Garrito is in Mark Tottsey the manager, Now.
Speaker 7: I'd say there's quite a bit. The value of relationships really was something that we talked a lot about, you know, and not just because of the game of baseball, but in life, right and that the the relationships that you can build and you know the value of that relationship. You can extract more from players when you know who they are, when you have that personal connection and that we build that trust with them. And I think that's key for me in my role right now as a manager here with this young ball club.
Speaker 4: Obviously it's a testament to who you are because you're young, but you have a lot of talent, and it seems like, you know, they're not shying away from any challenge.
Speaker 7: No, they're not. And I think this ball club it started last year towards the end of the year. We played really good baseball in the second half, so they built some confidence as young players. And the mentality that we've always taken. You know, the word grit. We use that word a lot. You know, we're an Oakland Athletic baseball team. Now we're the A's, but you know, for the past fifty two years, that was that mentality when you showed up at the coliseum, the legendary A's teams of the late early seventies and in the late eighties, and you know that that characteristic of man. These guys just play the game hard and then rind out every out that sounds like the way you played it is. You know, I got every ounce of talent out of this body, I'd say, you know, for my career and being blessed to be able to do it for seventeen years and now be in the game as a teacher post career, a total of twenty eight years in the big leagues, I feel like I've never worked a day in my life, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Mark Cootsey is our guest. He's the athletics manager doing a great job no matter where they play or what city they're in. Your career spans so many generations and even overlapped with Clayton Kershaw. You finished playing around twenty thirteen, he started in eight. What do you remember and what stands out to you still to this day about Kershaw?
Speaker 7: You talk about an ultra competitor. That man is the epitome of a competitor. And you know, like you said, I'm really impressed that he's still going, that he's still able to go compete at that level. There's a justin Verlander's another comp another guy that has been around since two thousand and six.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 7: So it's a testament to their work ethic and their drive. Really, and I mean for me, you know, Clayton is on his way to a Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 4: Is it amazing to you that he still wants to pitch?
Speaker 7: No, because I think that's in him. I think you saw that as a young, you know, player coming up. He's a student of the game. You know, he loves baseball. And when you have those combinations, you have that two combinations for yourself. You're gonna stay in as long as you can.
Speaker 4: All right, Markott say, I got two cal State fullertin questions for you before I let you go. Number One, Pepe's Breakfast burritos as legendary as Nevin and Kotse in Fullerton. How often when you come to so Cal do you hit up Peppe? Still?
Speaker 7: If I had time, I would be there right now. But yeah, Pepez. I grew up next to the Pepez that was right there in Pica Rivera, so you know that was my home. I grew up in Santa Fe spring My parents still live there after fifty four years, and you know it's it's a great city. I love coming back here. Dodger James had a special place in my heart.
Speaker 4: How often did you come to Dodger games growing up in Santa Fe Springs?
Speaker 7: Whenever my dad was able to get some comp ticks up in the Orange Reserve way up top?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Last one for you, this might be the toughest question. Name your Mount Rushmore of cal State Fuller ten players, AUGI Gurrito separate category. Do you have a Mount Rushmore?
Speaker 7: I'll put JT Justin Turner he's a legend. Now he's taking over for us. The career that he's had pretty remarkable.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: He started out with the Mets and wasn't an everyday player, changed his swing and now he's still impacting games. I know he's just he had a walk off, you know, just the other day with the Cubs and could be more proud of JT.
Speaker 4: Your beard's not as good as JT's.
Speaker 7: No, it doesn't grow as long, and it's definitely a lot more white.
Speaker 4: Mark, Thanks a lot for the time. Great to share you with Dodger fans.
Speaker 7: Appreciate Kay. Thanks for having me on here.
Speaker 4: He is one of the best guys out there and Jerry Turner's best friend. Mark Kottsey. We'll send it back to you, Tim.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: Great to hear from one of cals day at Fullerton. Greats Mark Cott said, doing a great job managing this young athletics team. Dodgers Baseball brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast.
Speaker 1: When it's game night, it's group night.
Speaker 6: At Shaky's dot Com lead you have to first pitch Dodgers and Athletics first pitch coming up at seven ten. I'm next, We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. I'm Tim Kats's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Dodgers Athletics rubber game of this three game set. Dodgers looking to win this series. First pitch coming up at seventen.
Speaker 3: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining, we look at the pitching matchup forres.
Speaker 6: Hit it by your Southern California Toyota dealers. Work hard and play hard at a New Tacoma with an I Force Turbo charts engine. Get the truck built for the bold See or Toyota dealer Today they make it easy as waldol Bido on the mound for the Athletics two and three, four to seventy five ERA twenty nine year old out a Dominican Republic third season in the Big League, second with the A's after coming over and coming up with the Pirates, making his ninth start this year.
Speaker 1: Tends to give up a lot of home runs.
Speaker 7: Lately.
Speaker 6: He's allowed nine home runs in twenty six and two third innings over his last five starts. That's three home runs per game after surrendering just seven home runs in his first one hundred and twenty nine innings. Last time out, five and a third innings, four runs, eight hit, six strikeouts, and a loss to the Yankees against the Dodgers. In his career, they've seen him a little bit. Two starts, zero to one with a three sixty RRA. Matt Soer on the mound for the Dodgers one to oh, one to fifty four ERA. Twenty six year old right hander out of Reghetti High School in Santa Maria, second round pick of the Yankees in twenty seventeen, was with the Royals last year and then back to the Yankees. Fourteen appearances in Kansas City last year, he struggled to seven to seventy one ERRA. Dodgers picked him up in the offseat, and he's been great in the four appearances this season with the Dodgers. In fact, he's picked up a win and is save in relief and appearances this year. Five innings, four strikeouts in a win against the Marlins at Dodgers Stadium, and then four innings had the pen in Miami for a save against the Marlins. He is the open at tonight, Matt Sower going for the Dodgers as they take on the Athletics. We're fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game our next. I'm Tim Kaison's world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue all season long law.
Speaker 6: It's the Dodgers and the Athletics. Matt Sour on the mount with the boys in Blue play at home. It's important they have the right plan to protect their house at the ravine. Same applies to your home. Always have a plan and follow fire safety tips. For example, use or install ignition resistant materials around your home. Use fire resistant materials when building a deck. Replaced fence with ember and flame resistant fence. Use noncombustible fencing materials for the portion that connects to your house. For more about these tips and to find others, visit fire dot CA dot gov. All right, so before first pitch, le's head back out to the booth. Tim Nevertjose Mode.
Speaker 4: Guys, Tim, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers and the A's Game three of this three game set, Dodgers trying to take this series. They have major League Baseball's best home record at sixteen and four, and they will be facing Oswaldo Bido Bidoux, the right hander two and three, making his ninth start. He has yet to get into the sixth thenning this year, he's pitched five to full on a handful of occasions, but not gotting into the sixth. He has pitched much better on the road than he has at home.
Speaker 4: Bobides a very interesting case because he does have the good arm. He's a guy that averages ninety four in the fastball, but the founfal has been slugged at five nine and beyond that, he throws about fifty two percent of the pitches away. And I'm looking at those numbers and knowing how well the Dodgers do cover the outer half, and he's had trouble in the last couple of starts. Seven earn runs last two starts, including three home runs and ten one third. If be DoPT fastball sinker, he's got the slider. Dodgers need to go out there and just do the same thing they did yesterday and force him into the zone because he could overthrow sometimes get a little bit wild, so you've got to really close it down. Make sure if he gets wild, you don't help him out.
Speaker 5: And for the Dodgers, Matt Sower gets the start in a bullpen game. Justin Robleski called up today JP firehis an optioned and Robuski more than likely we'll see some activity in the game here tonight Dodgers and the A's coming up.
Speaker 6: Tim hope it's sweet and sour tonight for the Dodgers with Matt Sour on the mound and the Dodgers hopeing it's a sweet night at the play it offensively and they can get this series, win the rubber game of this three game set. Dodgers and Athletics First Bitches. Next on show, Heyo Tani Bobblehead Night and the debut of Dalton Rushing enjoyed Dodger fans, some Tim Kats's the World Champion. Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network