Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped news needed by, so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come running. Just as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help come Man.
Speaker 4: Dix is the Troubleshooter Show. Now, Tom Martino, Hello, Tom Martina here, Welcome to a Monday. And as we get into spring, what's going on in your life? If you're having any problems to your sumpumps or anything plumbing wise, or anything plumbing, heating, cooling, electric drains. We have plumbline services in the house today with us. Bob Logan. If you're looking on camera, he's to my right screen that would be screen left. And we have the Deputy D here. I don't know who's back at the ranch. I know Susy Sues is on the phone, Deputy Bo. Welcome to the show that rhymes. Okay, let's say that thank you. Can you imagine if it was the Bow Show, the Bow Show. Hey, thanks both for being there for helping us out. Deputy D, thank you for being there helping us out. Let's get to the problems questions complaints you have. You can call use a three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Of course you can also call it a three oh three Martino three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six, and we will we will take all of your calls and get you on the show so you never have to wait. And for those of you who join us on YouTube, I call you my morons, and that's an affectionate term, so welcome one in all morons today. We appreciate you being here. And uh, the morons always have a lot to contribute, and you're welcome to go to that spot to contribute as well. If you go on YouTube, you look for referral lists or Troubleshooter Network and you'll find us. So, without further ado, let's go to the phones. A lot of consumer news though, a lot of consumer information I have for you. But right now, Twinika, twin Eco, what's happening with you?
Speaker 5: Hello, Hi, good morning Matina.
Speaker 6: I'm having issues. I'm with my landlord. I had a question regarding my lease, my renault. Okays, she has not been communicating with us as we got off on a rocket side because I had a contact it's so as you do to a gathlet, because she felt I should have called her first, and every since then we have not been on a good term. But she has our lease ends on next month, May the fourteenth. We still have not received any information on a lease renault or if she's gonna raise the land or we need to move.
Speaker 4: Hold on. Now, what about the original What about the original lease? What does it say about the end of lease? What? What is that? What are some of the wording? Does it say that they have to renew or you have to give them word or they have to give you words. There must be something that addresses up the end of lease.
Speaker 6: Yes, they did say that at the end of the least that it would just roll over to a month to month okay, and that neither I am obligated or she's obligated to renew. Okay, so we have to give like a least a thirty day notice.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's now now, I think I remember you, Twinka. Did you call me once before, right and on Friday? Yeah, And I said what we would try to do is get our we would get our real estate attorney on for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: M hm, okay, so a sus we were going to get on uh brad Town. Thanks Twinka, hang on, and let's try to get our attorney on for this and then give you some real advice. Could you do you have the lease in front of you?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 6: Uh huh, Just.
Speaker 4: Go to that one section when we come back to you, I might want to ask you about it.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, all right, I'm sure will all right.
Speaker 4: What were you going to say, Deputy d Tony Kase?
Speaker 9: You never said if you if you discussed this with your landlord recently? Did you have a conversation about whether or not this lease is going to be renewed?
Speaker 6: No, I have not, because I was just trying to wait to see if she was going to, you know, give us information on how to renew or if we were interested. But I was right kind of trying to beat the laws, and it was saying that actually had like a sixty day notice too, you know, I guess to either offered the renee or let us know about written or if she was going.
Speaker 7: To own okay, not the news.
Speaker 6: She had to give us a ninety day notice. I think that was when does this?
Speaker 4: When does it expire? When does what expired? When does this current lease expire? At the end of May?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Okay, yes, next month?
Speaker 4: Wait? Did you say May fourteenth? Okay, got it?
Speaker 8: I get it.
Speaker 4: May fourteen, Yes, she did tell me that. All right, So hang on, we'll try to get someone for you three on three seven one three eight two five five plumb line services in the house as spring approaches, Bob, what are the biggest deals we're going to be looking for? What are the biggest problems.
Speaker 10: Uh. One of the biggest things that are plumbing problems is things begin to thaw out broken hose bibs over the winter.
Speaker 4: Are there things that broke that really would not manifest till now?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, perhaps vacuum breakers that for the sprinkler singler system. So yeah, you know, in fact, I can throw out a special right now if you want. Yeah, let's say, for forty nine bucks, we'll do a complete spring plumbing inspection, your hose bib, your vacuum breaker, your time.
Speaker 4: So in other words, you'll come and make sure everything's re energized, ready to go, no leaks, ready.
Speaker 10: And just so pressurizing on those systems. All of a sudden you don't find a flooded base. You know, sometimes it's worth it.
Speaker 4: Forty nine bucks, you get that done, and uh three eight six, ten, eighty six. Can we use three oh three ten totally three oh three three eight six ten eighty six. Plumb Line Services, good people. I've known them for many, many years. Three oh three, Oh, I'm sorry, five eight six, I'm so sorry. Three oh three, five eight six, ten eighty six. Forty nine bucks is it forty nine?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Forty nine um plumbing plumbing.
Speaker 4: Check and uh and turning on everything.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah. And then the other thing is obviously your air conditioning system. So many people wait until you actually turn it on. Get it inspected first, make sure it's safe, operational, running within manufacturer specifications, because once it gets hot, everybody, my competitors and our company, everybody will be super busy. And you don't want to be waiting through the summer to try to get your air conditioner fixed. And so get it, get it looked at right now. We got a great tune up special at seventy nine dollars, and we've run through the entire system and make sure everything is good for the sun now.
Speaker 4: One day I want to mention people, say, Tom, people that do these specials, what they really want to do is get into your home. That's exactly right, that's exactly right. It's called a lost leader, and they want to get into your home to show you what they can do not to sell you something, but to show you, hey, here's a wonderful inspection. Here's what we found. Then what happens is you decide if you like them right now. They would be insane to do a special. My people, that people I advertise for, to do a special just to get in there and try to sell you something or rip you off. Nobody does that. Yes, they want to get they want to get to know you. Yep, that's exactly what it is. There's nothing wrong with that. They'll leave that sticker on there and they hope you've observed them, and when you have a problem, you're going to call them back. Isn't that the truth?
Speaker 10: I mean marketing, let me rephrase it a little bit different, Tom, because what I tell all of our technicians, everybody works with the company, whether on the phone or in person, like our number one goal. Our number one goal should be to win that client for right for life, build the trust, build a relationships and what we have to offer. And quite frankly, I could care less if they pay twenty one dollars or twenty one thousand dollars. That's irrelevant to me.
Speaker 4: Because eventually, if they stick with you, you'll get their business.
Speaker 10: That's right. And if we treat them right, we serve them right, so and they'll stay with us a long time. They'll tell their friends and family about us.
Speaker 4: And so many times, you know, people hide away from specials and advertising. Look at everybody on the radio and on TV. Everything that's brought to you, everything, every news item, every every feature, everything is brought to you by advertisers and sponsors. And what they hope is that you're going to try.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Now, I will tell you there are a lot of bad people that advertise. There are good people that advertise, there are neutral people that advertise. So you have to still do the shopping. But remember that just there's and there's nothing wrong with it. Upcoming, we'll talk about John Fuller. What does he do. You'll hear everybody he does something to try to attract customers. There's nothing wrong with that. What you need to do is be discerning in choosing your company. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. And speaking of which, like Frank Duran in Real estate Man, you know what he does, free market analysis of what your house will sell for. It's a real one. By the way, pictures measurements everything, the neighborhood, the surrounding area, the supplying demand, the interstates. Now why do you think he does that, Bob? Why would Frank duran spend more than a few hours. He a little time at the house and then analysis. Why would he present a homeowner here's what my marketing plan, what I believe your house will sell for no obligation. Now why is that?
Speaker 10: Because if he can build some values for us that relationship, then when it does come time to size, he's going to be the one.
Speaker 4: To win too. Now, and here's another reason. He is getting to learn the area and you're letting him. So the more houses he does, the more well rounded experience he has. So if you want a free analysis of what your house will sell for, maybe you're thinking about it. Frank Durandi Realestateman dot com three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Please time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. And what I love to tell you is Compass Insurance group free and insurance checkups. And that's a serious item to see you're not paying too much or you're not under insured, possibly even over in short three h three nine nine six nine thousand. We're waiting for Brad O'Brien. Uh, and then we'll get to that lease issue, because end of leases are not like they used to be. Now, Stephen has an interesting comment. I'm not sure what he means, but the comment on your call sheet is weird. Steven, what did you want to talk about? It's not applying me. What did he just say? Steven? The river?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Are you there? Mark? Steven? And Hi Stephen? What's going on?
Speaker 11: Brother?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 13: I seen this news thing about the homeless problem in Lakewood and the areas that they're talking about the small space. I'm part of that small space and I'm telling you everything on that news was not an outright lie. It's a very huge misdirection.
Speaker 4: I'd like to at least now tell me. Okay, hold on, let's take this one step at a time. Let's take this one step at a time. Because here's what I say about TV reporting, having been in it for forty years, here's what I say about TV reporting. Many of the TV reporters, they make up their minds what the story is about. They go out and get the facts, and when it doesn't match what they want, they make it match. So they go out with a preconceived notion of what the story is. So what I'd like, and I'll give you a wonderful example of that back in the day. But right now, I want to hear from you. What was the item that was reported on and which reporter or which station are you taking issue with.
Speaker 5: The story?
Speaker 13: I guess was nine News, but it came out on Fox thirty one.
Speaker 4: Well, then it's both stories, So who's the one that did it wrong?
Speaker 8: All of them?
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me what the story touches me. But here, Stephen, I want, since you're Steven's and you're in the middle of this, I want you to do me a favor. I want you to tell me the story as it was reported first, and then tell me the truth first. Tell me what was reported.
Speaker 13: What was reported was that there's been that this has been an ongoing problem for years, that there's been fires being started near trees and by trees, and that it's become a huge problem, that people are like going into the backyards of the neighborhood, that kind of thing. And while yeah, those statements had some accuracy, they don't apply to what the place that they were trying to say it was happening.
Speaker 4: So what I want to know is, what do you mean if you were reporting this, Steven, I'm gonna give you the microphone report. What should have been said, go ahead, okay.
Speaker 13: What should have been said is that this small piece of c dot property here in Lakewood, that there are a number of homeless people here that care about the community, that we do our best to keep others that would do these types of things out of this area. I can't tell you how many times I've cleaned up shopping carts full of trash right here in this little spot where I'm at and hauled it out of here because I don't want to live in that crap. Either we're trying to dig ourselves out of this hole, not bury ourselves in deeper.
Speaker 4: And what they reported, Okay, well, how did this news reporting, How did this news reporting mischaracterize that? I think I know now the story you're talking about. Is it near Wadsworth and sixth.
Speaker 13: Yes, yes, yeah it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's always been. There's always been trash. There is not the camp.
Speaker 13: What's that?
Speaker 4: D D? What were you going to say?
Speaker 8: But I happened to.
Speaker 9: So look, I happened to drive by six on Wadsworth less than a week ago.
Speaker 4: And I saw I saw.
Speaker 9: The encampment kind of like on that northeast side against the residential fans. It was a pigstyde dude, there's trash all over the place.
Speaker 4: I don't think Steven's sign. Where do you guys? What do you guys use for a bathroom? Where do you go to the bathroom? He you're not one of them? Are you a resident there? Stephen? I think he's a resident. That's how we started.
Speaker 13: I'm homeless guy.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. So Stephen, I go to.
Speaker 13: Walmar, I go to the Safe Flight Autowa up here, I fly a sign for money so I don't have to steal to survive while I wait out a disability claim. The Safe Flight Auto up there let me use their bathroom. They let me plug in my devices so that I have power on my phone.
Speaker 4: And may I ask some questions, Stephen Steven, May I ask some questions because you're putting a face to all of this and a name. I want, really, I want to ask you, how long have you been homeless?
Speaker 13: I have been. I came back to Colorado at the end of twenty nineteen from working with the Carnival and I got stuck here by COVID when COVID shut Carnival down and a disability claim that I've had in that I finally had a hearing for two weeks ago, and I'm waiting for the results, which should be favorable to try to pull out of this.
Speaker 8: I'm two years old.
Speaker 13: I'm it's it's been something of a battle.
Speaker 4: And so you absolutely had no savings or anything. So Steven, you had no savings or anything, so you had to transition to the streets.
Speaker 13: Well, I dumped all my savings into getting my driver's license back into COVID, and then COVID happened and they shut down Carnival, and I was stuck.
Speaker 4: That's correct. When you say carnival, you mean a real carnival. He was a carnie. Yes sir, yes, sir. What did you do there? What did you do there?
Speaker 13: I had an accident?
Speaker 4: I worked? What did you do there?
Speaker 13: Furniture?
Speaker 8: I worked?
Speaker 13: Games?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Really? I can I ask you something? Saving? Come on, I gotta ask. Are they rigged? Stephen Steven? Are they rigged?
Speaker 13: In many shows they are and some they're not. There's two two big, definite distinct types of Carnival. There's the ones that are trying to be they're trying to clean up that dirty Carney image, and then there's the ones that are absolutely that dirty Garney.
Speaker 4: You know, years and years ago, when we were in Florida, we were at this home and next door to us with this giant estate, and my mom, to make some extra money, did house cleaning, and she happened to be house cleaning for this when she would go down there to visit my sister. Honest to god, she would take side jobs. That's what a hustler she was back.
Speaker 10: In the day.
Speaker 4: And she did some house cleaning for this family next door, and it was ringling. The honest to god, it was ringling, and it was such an amazing thing the home and he had a miniature surface in the back. Anyway, I digress. So Stephen, right now, is there anything we can do to help you?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'd like somebody to come out and take pictures. Okay, the place that your guy right there was talking about, He's right. Last week it was crashed because I put my camp down here in a little spot.
Speaker 4: Where are you saying most of the time it's not trashed. I think Dmitri goes by there. I'm saying that Dimetri, you want to stop him?
Speaker 2: Take it?
Speaker 4: So when and what do you want our people are a representative to do when they go out there. What do you want them to just see that it's not always a trash pit.
Speaker 13: I'd like them to see that it's not trashed. I'd like them to see that there are some people out here that aren't that dirty, homeless image, if you will, like the carnies that are just trying to.
Speaker 4: Dig our way out.
Speaker 13: This is a nice secluded little spot where I can leave from here and go up there and fly my sign and come back and all my stuff's not gone. That We're not trying to trash anything, but Lakewood doesn't give us any alternatives to doing anything. There's no camping in Lakewood, they say, not even on private property. There's where we're stuck. There are people out here that are doing rotten things.
Speaker 4: I think what happens, though, is when you own hold on, hold on. Man. Here's the other side of that.
Speaker 14: When you own property around that or a business around it, and it looks so absolutely horrible, people don't visit your business. You go to try to sell your property there, it's hard to sell. So I mean that's a real big problem.
Speaker 13: I agree, I agree completely. That's where I find my sign at. I cleaned up that corner. I pulled all the weeds and I got it all looking pieces. And that's why the auto shop right there lets me come in and plug in my devices and use the restroom and get a couple of coffee. Well, you know what, you know, time's up there, Steven a meal because I cleaned it up.
Speaker 4: Steven, you sound like a good guy. Okay, you do. What is your income right now? The sign business?
Speaker 13: I knows whatever I can get on that corner flying a sign.
Speaker 4: How much do you get out of curiosity. Yeah, yeah, what do you get.
Speaker 13: To one hundred dollars a day? If I happen to hit a good day enough so I can eat and folk figure out.
Speaker 14: Hey, give me an idea of what I'm dying to know this, Like, give me an idea who gives you the most?
Speaker 4: And here's what I mean.
Speaker 14: White guys, white women, Black black women, black guys, Mexican guys.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, I also want to know fancy cars or not so fancy cars. See not so fancy women?
Speaker 13: Where I said it's Hispanic women in middle class cars.
Speaker 4: Interesting, that's that's who helps you the most.
Speaker 13: I have kind of a joke and I count the number of them on Fridays. Pretty white girls don't donate because they're used to getting things given to them. Oh some days I go two for ten on a pretty white girl that'll actually give them a little something. It's rarely more than three out of ten.
Speaker 4: What sign works the best?
Speaker 14: Is it like one that's like, oh, who's kidding, I'm gonna buy a beer? Or is it like a Vietnam vet? Or what sign works the best for you?
Speaker 5: For me?
Speaker 13: I just simply say please, help, thank you, and God bless.
Speaker 4: Okay, straight simple, very intelligent.
Speaker 15: Maybe he's really very intelligent, very So what were you gonna say? Bob Logan says that you seem pretty intelligent. But hold on a second, bro hold on, Bob, what do you mean? So are you surprised that people who are.
Speaker 4: Homeless are intelligent?
Speaker 10: I don't know, know. I mean, he seems very intelligent. He's got great communication skills. I'm just curious what his disability is and what's keeping him from working.
Speaker 4: Because, yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 10: What he can't do physical labor?
Speaker 13: I was hit by a bit. I got hit by a truck in twenty fifteen and broke fifteen bars.
Speaker 4: So what's wrong with you right now? What is your disability right now?
Speaker 13: Is like right now with the healing process, even though that was ten years ago. There's days when I can't hardly move just from being stiff.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's because arthright is settled. That's because arthright is settled in.
Speaker 13: And it's if I do too much physically on any one given day, the next day, I'm just wiped out. And then an employer does not appreciate that.
Speaker 16: Appreciate that certainly understand But what about what about phone work or work like or in a storeroom or something like that, and.
Speaker 13: It's so loved. And again they want that person that's going to be able to be there seven to five days a week, forty hours a weak.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there's nothing wrong with that. I guess what I'm saying, Stephen. Are you claiming there is no work that you can do? None? You said you clean up that.
Speaker 13: Fricking area right then, And so I'm not claiming that there's no work that I can do. But what I am claiming that to do anything steady day after day like an employer expects and should expect.
Speaker 4: For their money. No, I know you're saying it's difficult. So are you on disability? Are you on SSDI?
Speaker 5: Not yet?
Speaker 13: I had my hearing before the magistrate like two weeks ago. They say it's going to take about two months for her to get her decision in writing. We believe, yeah, they are going to improve it because the judge asked my attorney after the hearing, why should we him for four years when we only have medical records for the last two, The reason being.
Speaker 4: That do me a favor sent to.
Speaker 13: The doctor and complain about pain and turning.
Speaker 4: I want you to do me a favor. In that encampment, you have people from all walks of life? Is that true? Are they all about the same the same kind of lifestyle.
Speaker 13: I've met in this encampment. See, I try not to camp with a lot of people because I don't like what happens when that happens, the trash files, the drugs and all the I know, I.
Speaker 4: Get it, I get it, bro, I get it. I'm just asking and are there a number of people all right? You know what I'd like?
Speaker 14: Is there a lot of crime? Is there a lot of crime in those communities? I'm being serious, not from you, but like I mean like rape. Do you see kids around? I mean, how bad are they?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 13: You don't see any kids in camp like it's but here a kid freedom the environment, no matter what camp you're in. I hear from some of the girls about how dangerous it is for them. In fact, quite often one of those groups in any of those trills knows that my campus is my tents is a safe place. They can come here. They can okay, they can tell me what's going on.
Speaker 4: Is there a hierarchy?
Speaker 14: Is there certain people like that just sounds dumb, but like a mayor are there people that take leadership roles, right exactly.
Speaker 13: I think that happens in any group of people, just by nature.
Speaker 4: He's right, Hey, Steven, hold on though, Yeah, I get what you're saying. We got to take a break. Here's what I want to ask you, and I'm serious, Susan can take your number down and give you a number to call back. I'm wondering if you can get a variety of people, Let's say five people, you and four others a male and female that will have lunch with me, and I would like to talk to you guys about your lives. I'm serious. I want to learn more about different reasons people got into homelessness. Hold on, hold them and let's get his phone number and let's follow that up. I'm Tom Martine three all three seven to one three talk seven one three two five five. Waterpros dot net The best water system's lowest prices, hull house water softening and forever chemicals removed, plastics removed, plus drinking water at the kitchen sink. It all all for thirty nine to ninety five. The best deal ever three oh three eight six two five five five four that's waterpros dot net. Three oh three eight six two five five five four Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're contenth.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey Tom Martine here in three O three seven one to three talk seven one three A two five five. I want to go to the phones right now, and we're waiting for a real estate attorney, so we'll go to Don Don talk to me about a mechanic's lead. What's going on with you?
Speaker 2: Don?
Speaker 8: Bhi?
Speaker 4: Tom?
Speaker 8: How are you guys this morning?
Speaker 4: I'm doing okay man. What's happening with you?
Speaker 8: Well, I've got a situation. I'm a small little HVACR contractor mostly okay creation work.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: About end of February, I got a call from one of our local refrigeration suppliers and they had mistakenly, uh sold equipment to an end user okay, and they wanted me to go out and take a look at it. Typically I don't do this type of stuff because I mean, yes, you can charge labor, make money on the labor and maybe some miscellaneous. But then they typically these people want you to warrant you the equipment which you did not sell.
Speaker 4: Okay, So hold one. So what you're saying is what I need to know this. You're saying that the supplier normally just sells to contractors, but in this case, they made a mistake and now they need your help. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The the guy that they sold the equipment to, uh, he misrepresented himself. He's a guy that's it's got a little ranch out East Parker processes beef. He's got a little butcher shop on it. And he misrepresented himself as Rocky Mountain Contracting contracting. Okay, brought them you know, engineer drawings specified.
Speaker 4: Okay, So where does this? Where is this all going? Now? So what happened? What happened? Bro So?
Speaker 8: So originally I had turned it down. The local supplier asked me to go take a look at it because this guy was getting upset that now he couldn't find someone to install it, and they had he alleged it they would help him find somebody to install it. Went out there and looked at the equipment that was specified on the job, and it was incorrect. I mean, he brought engineered drawings with model numbers of outdoor units, model numbers of indoor units, and the equipment for what he was trying to do. It would not work. Okay, I mean, okay, the guy took a container, one of those container cargo ship things, and he did a fabulous job. I will say that if he made it into a walking cooler and a walking freezer outdoors. Okay, Okay, the equipment, the equipment, I think he did all the engineering himself and just picked equipment offline. The outdoor units were not made to run outdoors or to be installed outdoors. They were meant to indoor for climate controlled spaces refrigerations.
Speaker 4: Okay. Back here, when we get into the winner at so don so this big, this big like train car or container. This was going This was going to be a giant walk in refrige, freezer and refrigerator.
Speaker 8: He split it in half all right.
Speaker 4: You hold on. I want to come back and hear the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey was saying, because this sounds very interesting. I'm Tom Martino. Let's can't hear. I can't wait to hear what KH has what you're looking for, whether it's windows, siding, doors and more. Plus Now KH they have painter pros K and H painters you can get as well with the UH with their heritage. That's Khwindows dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you chose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 14: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five, Hey.
Speaker 4: Don what is going on with this mechanics Lean?
Speaker 8: I need to I think protect myself. Like I said in the first part, went out and we looked at this job. The equipment that the engineer drawing spec was incorrect. It would not work. I mean that were to work during the summer when the temperatures are okay, But the equipment was for indoors where you have a climate controlled atmosphere. Sure, when you when you run refrigeration eric conditioning equipment back here during the winter, there's certain controls that you have to put on, whether it's CPR valves or fan cycling controls in order for it to make it work. So I went out there and looked at the job, worked with the distributor that originally sold the people the equipment. We resized everything properly and provided mister the.
Speaker 4: Gentleman of bed. So everything's working now When we.
Speaker 8: Left the job on Tuesday, March eighteenth, Yep, everything was working correctly.
Speaker 4: Have they paid you anything?
Speaker 8: They are upfront and stuff like that, I asked, or normally I don't. I'm on an old school.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But but what's the answer to the question on.
Speaker 8: Installation?
Speaker 14: So how much did they owe yous? And why are they saying they're not paying you? Are they saying the equipment still not working?
Speaker 10: Wrong?
Speaker 4: Size? Climate?
Speaker 8: What he won't communicate with me about it.
Speaker 14: Well, you better, you better send a ten day and intent to lean real quick. Yeah, you only have a certain amount of time from the day you either to livered parts there are the last time you worked there. You got to send that ten day. That gets the ball rolling. Then after that, I believe it's sixty days to actually file a lean. Then you have an additional ninety days to actually take them to court and win in court, and then basically you have a perfected lean. Okay, do you have any questions on that, because let me tell you something, With the kind of money you're talking about, if you've never done it, I would not mess around. I'd hire someone like Brad O'Brien to do it. It's going to cost you a few hundred bucks, but my god, you're going to end up getting paid.
Speaker 8: I talked to Brad a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: And what did he say. I'm curious what did he say?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I tried to communicate with the customer and see if we could solve it another way, and that's what he said and stuff like that, So I will get the ball rolling on.
Speaker 14: That really sucks. Why do you think do you think they simply don't have the cash. They're upset with you. What leg do you think they have to stand on?
Speaker 10: If any?
Speaker 8: I think it's because they originally on buying the equipment themselves and paying somebody a couple thousand dollars to install it, and that was their budget.
Speaker 4: Got it? Well, I have a question for Don. Yeah, go ahead, Bo.
Speaker 17: Don do you mind telling us who the supplier is that sold them the equipment?
Speaker 8: I can, but I'd rather not. I've got a good working relationship with them.
Speaker 13: They did.
Speaker 4: What did they do wrong?
Speaker 18: I'm just curious because I'm in the trade because normally they never ever sell I'm not supposed to, especially anything with refrigerant in it, not supposed to sell someone without that EPA license.
Speaker 4: Yes, but generally wouldn't you.
Speaker 14: You could sell them the equipment and a guy like this comes out and installs it, right, Bo, and then here's the one charging it.
Speaker 17: I don't think there's end users can buy? Yeah, Bob can.
Speaker 14: Now wait a minute, though, hold on, this is very curious. I'm pretty sure I can go to home depot and buy an air conditioner.
Speaker 4: Maybe I can. I always thought I could.
Speaker 18: No, you can't, Mark because you can just buy a window shape or a furnace and.
Speaker 17: Buy a furnace.
Speaker 18: But furnace doesn't have refrigerat. I did not know that refriger is highly controlled.
Speaker 8: If it in it, you're not allowed to buy it unless you have an EPA life only.
Speaker 14: But okay, I don't want to get I don't want to sound super ignorant here, but I'm very ignorant on this topic. How come I can buy a refrigerator then, for the life of me, how come I can buy a car for the life of mail?
Speaker 18: I can explain that because mark the units are ste free on is sealed, wherein this it's not sealed. No, because you got several pieces and you have to be soldered or hooked up together.
Speaker 11: And you can talk about it too.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna talk about that with Bob Logan after this.
Speaker 4: But don I would call Bradley back. Get that done.
Speaker 14: Listen, mechanics. When there is a time frame you have to follow. We have got a lot coming up. Three oh three Martino, one line open, three zero three Martino.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Verus best Roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Wave time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ripped of.
Speaker 1: News needs you don't have the.
Speaker 2: Come run anxious as fast as you can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help. Come man, this.
Speaker 4: Is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hi, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. We're here to help you solve robs that's questions sake, make your life a little easier, as I've been doing for fifty years, forty five in Denver. We love what we do here, So what do you say we go to the phones and keep doing it. We have Brad O'Brien with us, our expert on real estate, all things real estate, a real estate attorney with a real estate firm, And one of these questions came up. I thought, you know what I'm going to ask Brad O'Brien. Now, Brad, a lot of these leases were written before maybe recent changes. But I'd like to know a very simple answer. First. When a lease comes up and it already has provisions saying if we don't renew by this, data goes month to month, or you have sixty days to tell us your intention or blah blah blah, are those still in effect or do new laws negate any of those?
Speaker 19: Well, one thing to get prohibited is a penalty for failure to give the landlord notice of not renewing. So that the one where you say you have to give us notice chase before it's up for us.
Speaker 4: You got it.
Speaker 19: You have to okay that you can't do that anymore. But you can't say that after the after the one year term, if you're still.
Speaker 4: There, it goes month to month.
Speaker 8: You can still do that, But is.
Speaker 4: A month to month really a month to month? What really are the tenants' rights now? What are they? Or does it depend on how long they've been in the apartment?
Speaker 19: Well, a big change last year was this just cause of eviction where yeah, to where if a tenant's been there for a year, then the landlord has to have a good reason just cause to not renew them for example, want to sell, want to renovate, want to move themselves back in something like that.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, is that even in a case but but Brad, Brad, is that even in a case where it goes month to month? Do they still need a just cause or does it go go ahead?
Speaker 19: Yeah, they've been there for two years and a month and month the whole time. They still have that right to uh not to be dude.
Speaker 4: Okay, so they still need just cause. So if Twinika's lease goes from a yearly lease to a month to month, they have to have just cause to get rid of them. Correct, Twinika, what was your original question when you called us? I believe you said your lease ends May fourteenth. You haven't heard anything from the landlord what happens, and I think Brad will tell you whatever happens is is what's in the contract? Brad? Is that Twinico, maybe you should ask your question.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, I wasn't writing as the landlord obligated to give us a renown lease. I would automatically just roll into like a month to month and we don't have to sign or agree to anything.
Speaker 4: Do you want to read it Twinika, do you want to read that clause?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 6: Instead? Fifth term, the term of this lease we begin May fifteen, twenty twenty four an end of May fourteen, twenty twenty five. Neither landlord or ten if I beget it it, neither has the right to un literally, renewed or extend the term of this lease the landlord accepts tennis payment. If the landlord accepts the tennis payment of the monthly would otherwise new under the lease for the month after the end of the term, then the lease will be deemed to continue on month to month basis.
Speaker 4: And it says at the same Okay, so, Brad, how do you read that?
Speaker 19: Well, she's at the end of at the end of the May fourteenth, shill be there for a full year. Then she does how these have the right to be renewed one year? She had the first year renewed. Alternatively, she the police provides that she could be going month to month if they're doing if they do nothing, So if they.
Speaker 4: She does nothing, if you do nothing, it's going to go month to month and then they still have to have a just cause to get rid of you.
Speaker 19: Yeah, but if she wants out a year then you have to reach out to the landlord and say send me at least that says the year two on it.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, Probably reach out to her and it as fires them increasing the rate of the rent. Are we supt to get a notice as well to see if we're able to avoid it if we wanted to move because we haven't that part.
Speaker 19: Yeah, a landlord can raise the rent once in any twelve month period with a sixty days prior written notice.
Speaker 6: Okay, So she doesn't have the sixty day prior, are we obligated to pay that increase or can we still pay just what we were paying now?
Speaker 19: Well, if you go month month, then there's plenty of opportunities for the landlord to give you sixty days or notice. It might might be three months from now when when that kicks in earth, it might be might be the second or third month of the month, month before the rent rental increase takes effect.
Speaker 4: Right, So, in other words, if they gave you an immediate raise of rent and you didn't have sixty days notice, you wouldn't have to pay for that part, probably, but you have to pay for anything beyond the sixty days if the if it's deemed that they gave you sixty days notice.
Speaker 19: She might have an argument, you can she's entitled now it's a year two without a rent increase, because she's entitled to year two and she's entitled sixty d notice before years two starts. That's already passed.
Speaker 4: So but Brett, if it goes month to month, what difference does that make because they can just say, okay, in two months, we're raising it.
Speaker 19: Yeah, that works too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Twinka, you ought to let them know in a in a kind way that you're familiar with the laws and they have to give you sixty days notice for a rent increase, and then you'll be you'll compleat and then and then I would they're just going to let this go month to month. Now my hunches. If they're gonna let it go month to month, there's a reason for that. And I think they're going to probably try to get rid of you. Now that's just a hunch, because otherwise why wouldn't they renew you. I just have a feeling that because you complain to public Service or excuse me, Excel Energy, they're upset with you. But that's just my hunch. And even if they're upset. Brad. That's not a good reason, is it, Brad?
Speaker 19: Well, Uh, retaliation is prohibited under the warrant.
Speaker 4: You'd have it ability statute.
Speaker 19: I'm not sure there's reporting to the utilities that don't have ability concern or something about the utail network.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well we had to fire we personally upon moving in. The fireplace wasn't working, and she promised to fix it. But my daughter tests on a gas we caught it, so they set us there. We was without hot water for eight days because the par meracy hired couldn't so.
Speaker 4: They had to put in a new water heater.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: He passed up the furnace downstairs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that was a while ago, Brad. I think I think any any tenant would have a problem proving retaliation unless they had witnesses or something. I mean, this plumbing complaint was a while ago. I think connecting those dots might be difficult.
Speaker 19: Tunica commits a judge in Twnika.
Speaker 4: What you really need to do, what you really need to do is within the law, comply as much as you can, and then maybe look for another place to live. You know, I'm just saying this out of concern. Just be ready in case you have to leave.
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like if it goes month to month, see how it goes and call us back. I'm Tom Martine three oh three each seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. By the way, Bob Logan's with us from plumb Line Services. And so we had a situation where equipment was purchased. Now Mark, are we actually being told in Bob there are things that are not legal for a layman to purchase.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 4: Is that actually true?
Speaker 2: Bob?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, I can't answer all the legalities, but I don't know a single supplier that will sell a furnace air conditioning system to a consuser. And and for the reasons that Bo already talked about, the refrigerant's the EPA licensing, the contractors licensing, there's a lot that goes on with it. Now market mentioned well, I can buy one home Depot, for example, and we happen to be one of home Depot's contractors, and they will not sell it directly to the end user without one of their installers.
Speaker 4: So if they go in there and find something, they consult you and do the whole package correct.
Speaker 10: You can buy you know, a window unit or a portable unit that's you know, it's like a refrigerator.
Speaker 4: You get that part. But a full home unit you can't. Hey, Bob, exactly right, Bo, Do you know if there are any laws concerning purchasing of that by consumers.
Speaker 18: Yes, in order to buy air conditioners residential commercial, you you have to have the EPA certification and a lot of I was really curious to find out.
Speaker 4: That's to install it or to buy it. To install or to buy. I don't know why they would make you have APA certification to buy.
Speaker 17: Something, because it's the law. It's refrigerant.
Speaker 18: You have to have an EPA certification to buy something with refrigerant. That okay, where there's a situation where you need to add free on or take away free on. And I was really curious to find out what suppliers sold that person the equipment because there's I think there's some liability.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you remember the remember they do. He said they were misrepresenting themselves.
Speaker 10: Yes, but they Yeah, but that supplied to you know, the major suppliers. And say, Bob, contract a contractor's license. I mean to show all my ep certifications, the licensing, everything that goes along with it and uh, and typically they'll do some kind of a background check.
Speaker 4: Or wow, So it's not that easy to go to a supplier, man, Bo, how do you think he got away with it?
Speaker 17: I don't know.
Speaker 18: That's why I really wanted to know who this is, because I know all the suppliers in town abandoned?
Speaker 11: Did you find out the suppliers?
Speaker 17: The caller wouldn't tell us who the supplier was.
Speaker 10: I want to share it, Okay, he says, yes.
Speaker 17: He's got something more to the story.
Speaker 10: I don't want to break there.
Speaker 18: So, and I don't know why he would spend that money work at twenty three thousand dollars in labor, working on something where the equipment wasn't installed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I do twenty three thousand dollars in labor sounds ridiculous to me, is that, Bob? Is that ridiculous for a commercial installation or not?
Speaker 10: He's you know, we don't do commercial installations, so he's taught. You know, I don't know what all was involved there. Maybe not, but I we would never ever take a job like that. Whatsial? What do residential installations run? As far as time from what to what? Residential with plumbline. Yeah, not talking about plumbline.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about the industry out there, time and materials and costs. Basically, let's say from low to high for installation only.
Speaker 10: On the low side, for a furnishing air conditioning system, I'm gonna say five or six thousand dollars to install to install just the labor, yeah, come on, Bob, just the labor, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then the equipment on top of that. So labor is more than most of the time the equipment.
Speaker 10: No, typically, typically it's about half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now what about Okay, so the low side is about five grand, what does it go up to for installation.
Speaker 10: I mean we're installing a system a day, that's almost forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: It depends on the complexity, the.
Speaker 10: Complexity of the system, the home. I mean, there's there's so many different variables.
Speaker 4: All right, We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Listen, we're transparent here. You want to know anything about the industry, or anything about your rights or anything about any problem question you can play. Stephanie has a complaint on a dental office. We also have a complaint about a CVS pharmacy and all of that's coming up right after this. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here, Welcome to the show. We got a lot of calls to get two three h three seven one three talks Stephanie dental complaint Werner. We haven't forgotten about you, Stephanie. What's going on with your dental complaint? Hi Stephanie, thank you for thank you for contacting us.
Speaker 20: Yes, thank you for the callback. I appreciate it. My name is Krepane and I had an experience recently with Lodo Dental in downtown Denver, and I saw a dentist and they at the end of it said that I had six cavities and dumb disease. So I went to get a second opinion from a prostagontis, and lo and behold, it turns out that I had zero cavities and I did not have gum disease, and I ended up being out of pocket to pay for before I hooked out the second opinion, which I should have just waited. I paid for the right of my upper and lower quadrant to get a deep cleaning, which was six hundred and sixty nine dollars and sixty cents out of pocket. But when I initially went to the dentist, I said, I have all my previous X rays that have already been emailed to you. I have agency and appicacy over my own body, and what I'm meeting today is just the teeth cleaning. And the Postagonis said that when I had initially went to this dentist that really what I had said at the beginning is that I just needed a teeth cleaning, which would have been paid for by my dental insurance, but then I ended up out of pocket for the cost.
Speaker 4: Okay, now you've said everything I need. Now it's time for the lightning round. Okay, Where I asked simple questions and you give me one word answers or two words. Okay, how did you find low Dough Dental? And why did you not have and this can be more than a word, of course, did you not have another dentist? Why did you go looking for a dentist? And how did you find Lo Dough?
Speaker 20: So Wine Coop Dentistry dropped me because of my dental insurance, and so I had to find a different dentist office.
Speaker 19: So I googled.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Why so then you googled and found Lodo Dental and they would your plan would pay for a normal cleaning. Now what did Lodo Dental do and did you give them permission?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 4: How did they get this other diagnosis? Was this during the exam? Yes?
Speaker 20: So when I went in I told them that I didn't want X rays. Well, they talked me into They said I had gotten anxiety about it at the beginning, and they said, if we do the X rays on the house today, will you go ahead and move forward.
Speaker 6: With the X rays?
Speaker 20: Even though I had initially said that I didn't want them, and by that point I was already emotionally distressed and actually crying.
Speaker 6: By the time I had ended up in the well.
Speaker 4: But there's nothing wrong. There's nothing wrong with accepting free X rays. So then after the free X rays, what did they what did they diagnose you with.
Speaker 20: Six cavities and gum disease?
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, actually six cavities and you swear you have not one cavity.
Speaker 20: Well, I went to a Prostadonis in Denver. Or excuse me, what.
Speaker 4: Is the Prostadonis? What? What is the Prosetadonis? Help me out.
Speaker 20: Yes, Aprosadonnas basically has more dental education than a typical dentist, and they deal with tooth restoration or like implants.
Speaker 4: Okay, bridges, Okay, Okay, I got you, I got youa So you knew it. You knew this dentist from a previous engagement of some kind, a previous appointment.
Speaker 6: A correct.
Speaker 20: I had been going to that Prospadonist office since I was fifteen years old, so that's when I went back.
Speaker 4: So you got a second so it's it's okay. So you got a second opinion which totally negated everything they said. Correct, Okay, and you paid six sixty nine for that, right.
Speaker 20: I paid six sixty nine for the deep cleaning at the dentist, but then I paid an additional one hundred and seventeen for the second opinion from the Prospadonis. Yes, that's correct.
Speaker 4: So the deep cleaning you shouldn't get a refund for, but I believe they should probably that second opinion. A lot of people might argue, listen, that's the cost of doing business. What I would argue is this, what did Lodough? What did Lowdough Dental totally charge for that appointment?
Speaker 20: I'd have to look at the bill. I think the insurance ended up covering about two to three hundred, but then I had to pay the like I said, six sixty nine.
Speaker 4: But the six sixty nine wasn't to the original dentist, was it.
Speaker 20: Yes, that was to the original dentist. And now I'm trying to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I believe, Okay, okay, they should they Listen. Yeah, I think they should give you a complete refund for everything you paid, because if truly what you're saying is true that they totally lied about six cavities and gum disease, we need to verify this. I mean, this is horrendous. Did you go back to the dentist and say, wait a minute, you lied to me.
Speaker 20: I mean, I this is a new experience for me. I didn't say you lied, per se, but I sent them an email.
Speaker 6: I called them.
Speaker 20: And asked for the refund of the money, and then I got a phone call back today that they said that they weren't going to call. So I thought, let's just communicate via email for everything's on record. So I sent an email last week when I finally got home, asking for a full refund of the six hundred and sixty nine dollars, which I feel like I should get from low Do Dental plus as an advocate for human rights.
Speaker 4: I get it. So what did they say, I mean, did you tell them you got a second opinion?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 20: Yes, I told them I got the second opinion.
Speaker 4: Okay, So what did they say about that?
Speaker 20: They said that they needed to have a consultation with the Prosagontis, which I don't know if that's transpired yet.
Speaker 4: Transis yet, Stephanie, what were you saying, bo.
Speaker 18: Are you just, Stephanie, you did get the deep plate scale cleaning that.
Speaker 17: May have been needed.
Speaker 18: Are you just looking for the refund of one hundred and seventeen dollars for the second opinion?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: She wants all of it. You know, I kind of agree, Stephanie. If you did get a good cleaning, it's worth paying for.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think they provided you a service with the cleaning.
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's just that when I initially went to the dentist, I wasn't. I get my two clean every six months, So I wasn't. I've never I wash, I've never had cavity diagnosis or gum disease, so I keep up with my teeth. So I was shocked at the.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So are you saying you probably didn't even need the cleaning?
Speaker 6: Absolutely not.
Speaker 20: That's what the procedonna said. She said you did not need a deep cleaning and downloads.
Speaker 4: How would they say that? I don't understand how you can say you did not need it when how would they know if you needed it or not? They didn't see you beforehand?
Speaker 20: Yeah that I Yeah, they were the left side of my upper and lower quadrants still has something, Cleaney, That's.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it. We believe you and we're on your side on this one. If they if you truly can show us were that you have no cavities. Do you have anything in writing that says you have six cavities? Did you get anything from Low Dough Dental to indicate.
Speaker 20: That they told me that I haven't gotten anything in writing.
Speaker 4: That's what they believe are So what would stop them from saying if we went to them, If we went to them and said, wait a minute, you told this woman she had six cavities and gum disease. What if they say, no, we didn't.
Speaker 20: That's a great question. Then I guess they would be lying. I don't know, but I don't like to.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like your answers. I like your answers. Your answers indicate to me you are totally sincere because you're not trying to. I mean, really, you are very very straightforward, Demitri, What did you want to say? Tom?
Speaker 9: You know, looking at this from a step away, we have right now is two conflicting diagnoses.
Speaker 4: That's right, and well no, no, we don't even have that because we can't prove they made a diagnosis.
Speaker 9: Well yeah, but if we were to take everything we just heard at face value, the dentist in Lodo said that she has six cavities. Her second dentist, in a second opinion, said no, you don't have six cavities. Okay, we have no reason to believe either one of them, right now, that's true. Furthermore, based on what the caller just told us, it sounds like the Loto dentist is going to have a consultation with a second opinion dentist to see if they can revolve this conflict and diagnosis. Yeah, okay, so I think it's too soon to start pointing fingers, and I don't think.
Speaker 10: I don't think I want Oh.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I wasn't applying that you were.
Speaker 9: But furthermore, I think you will take you out a third diagnosis to kind of put some to add weight to one of these two conflicting diagnoses.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, I want to give this to something, I'll give it to you.
Speaker 9: D well, thanks, I can guarantee you and neither dentist is going to talk to me due to hippo concerns.
Speaker 4: No, but we can get around that by talking about money, okay, And if she gives permission, Stephanie can give permission and then they can talk to us. Many times they.
Speaker 9: Oh good, I think that's the perfect next step.
Speaker 4: So really, so, how did you find how did you find the third dentist for that opinion?
Speaker 20: The third dentist actually has apparently won awards and colerad. My sister's been going to this dentist for a long time.
Speaker 6: So okay, good God, good sentists.
Speaker 4: Good would you let us know and Deputy Deal be contacting you. We want to keep abreast of this case, so hang on three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Waterpros dot net. You're looking for osmosis reverse osmos to the kitchen sink under U. What is it like under two grand for the entire system? In fact, I think it's even cheaper than that. They could do great systems. Contact them waterpros dot net. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate and dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: You look good.
Speaker 4: First aid Hi Tom Martine, your troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. What a flurry of calls we've had. Now we're back to normal. But no, no, we want to take your calls at three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two fivey five. But there are some consumer issues I want to get to. And oh, I gotta go to Werner because he got disconnected. Let me go to him first. Hey, Werner, let's talk man, what's happening with this pharmacy issue?
Speaker 21: Well, I'm talking about CBS set seventy nine in vast short and Nevada. My doctor, what.
Speaker 10: Did they do by me?
Speaker 4: What? Tell me what they did wrong? My doctor?
Speaker 21: Or a hundred eighty toplets of el quis?
Speaker 8: What picked up the orders? Are me?
Speaker 4: What kind of medication?
Speaker 21: Sir ery Chris not saying five milligram?
Speaker 4: Uh huh?
Speaker 21: And I picked up the orders, didn't pay attention, And I came home. I only had sixty tablets.
Speaker 2: I went.
Speaker 21: And they told me if I pay another ninety four dollars, I will get the other one hundreds and twenty tablets. I decline, Okay, okay, this is a bait and switch operations.
Speaker 4: Well it's no, no, no, no, no, no, it's not a bait and switch operation. They don't control I mean, not those people there. They don't have rolling prices. If the price will be the same for everyone, well no, no, I don't even listen. I don't know why you you think they're making this up?
Speaker 8: It got to be big.
Speaker 21: Medication is not as expensive, I say, claim it is. I paid six dollars forty five cents a tablet when you can't get it for sixty six cents.
Speaker 4: Where can you get it for sixty six cents, sir.
Speaker 21: Optum r X. You can't get it for seven percent from Turkey for Canada?
Speaker 4: Then why don't you? Then? Why don't you?
Speaker 21: Well I did afterwards, but oh you did.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute. You're getting You're getting the same medication they were charging five bucks for. You're getting for pennies. Tell me you're you're telling me the truth now right, you are getting it. You are actually getting the medication.
Speaker 21: I paid three hundred and eighty seven dollars for a hundred eighty tablets they gave me on this sixty I got from optim r X. In the meantime, two hundred taber. He's for one hundreds and thirty one dollars.
Speaker 4: My goodness, gracious, well, then the system is working, but not for me.
Speaker 21: But CVS.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, not for that first person. Hold on, hold on, Werner Werner. Here's what I'm saying. Had you shopped around for pricing and found that other pharmacy, what I'm saying is the system is working. I agree with you that CVS is way more expensive on this drug, but they don't do it.
Speaker 14: They're in lives listen. I just got to say this. They're in line with target Costco. In fact, Costco costs more kings is a little cheaper than CVS. Walmart's a little more than CVS. Walgreens a couple bucks less. They're all right there, six hundred and thirty dollars for sixty tablets. I mean that's just how much which this stuff is. I mean, god bless that we can get them from Canada or somewhere.
Speaker 4: So which which site did you go to? Go ahead? That's good, RX man.
Speaker 21: Why did I not get the hundred and eighty tablets for the whole amount?
Speaker 4: Because it cause it's not right, you know, just because of Werner Werner I want you to listen carefully. You went there with a one hundred eighty count prescription, one hundred and eighty they hold on. They filled sixty tablets at three hundred eighty seven. Had they filled it for ninety tablets, you would have paid more. So you got what you paid for, even though the price is higher than good RX. They did nothing wrong, Werner. I know you feel like they screwed you out of sixty tablets, but they didn't because I'm not a one hundred eight.
Speaker 21: Also as a second prescription for ninety tablets, and they live at the hondasan a deal from They needed the extra money. That's all I can say.
Speaker 4: Okay, Werner, thank you very much. They needed the CBS pharmacy just up to his uh prescription because they're hurting for money. Thank you, Werner. We appreciate you calling us about that and letting us know. Three oh three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five five. We have more right after this, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi, Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Uh, give us a call if you have a problem question you're complain Okay, Now I have it, says here Tom. By looking at the X rays, you can see if someone has gum disease, excessive build up cavities, build a dentists. We're not denying that you can see it or not right. But did they give her a false diagnosis? Now I will tell you what were you gonna say to me? Dre see you perch there? Go ahead.
Speaker 9: Oh, I was just getting ready for any questions for I did. I did speak with a consumer And next week she's going to get a third opinion on this, and then she's going to email me copies of both the second and the third opinion to see if the third opinion adds weight to either the first or the second opinion. Now I can tell you from personal experience that I actually had a similar situation where one dentist recommended that I get my I think he said either two or three cavities. They didn't sound quite right, and I went to another dentist and he said, oh, no, those aren't cavities, but they'll become cavities if we don't fill them with some kind of a Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's just some subjectivity here when it comes to dentistry.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of subjectivity in anything medical, right, Tom, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I went to a dentist one time and I was being ripped off, but I didn't know that when I went. I went for a special and I wanted to see what they were going to do. And I was looking for a dentist, beautiful office, and they said, you need this work done, and I absolutely didn't need it. Then I asked him about crowns, because there was a tooth right was going to need a crown. They make their crowns in house with the Zert machine, I think it's called, And I said to him, by mistake, I asked the question. The question was a mistake. I said, why is it cheaper to get them ordered from the or why are they cheaper when you order them from the lab as opposed to making him in house? Wouldn't it be cheaper if you make him in house? He goes, oh, no, no, no, and then he gave an explanation as to why they give more care and all of that to the office made ones, and therefore they are more expensive. Right. So, as it turns out, when I went back, I was, well, you know, the bottom line is they sent me to a lab and the lab was less expensive, and they were trying to get me. Here's what I'm The point I'm getting at is this they were just changing their prices just for whatever I said. They made the prices work in there, so I thought I was getting a deal. Mark, What did you say?
Speaker 14: I think the biggest deal is those dentists, a lot of them can't afford to PLoP down one hundred and fifty thousand for that machine, So basically they have a deal with the manufacturer or whoever's actually in the lease or whatever. So for everyone they do, they're only making X amount. If they owned it outright, I bet they would be cheaper, but most of them don't.
Speaker 4: Oh they do royalties. Yeah, a lot of them do a royalty where every time they use the machine, they pay a royalty. Some to do that. Even after they own a machine. It's the owners plus royalty. Absolutely. Now in healthcare, there's a lot of there's a lot of controversy when it comes to insurance and healthcare, especially like well not especially, but with all kinds. But if you get like a chiropractor, okay, they have an insurance rate, the insurance company pays them X amount of dollars and they agreed to it. So consumers would say, well, why don't you charge me that? Right? I went to a chiropractor one time where the insurance rate was sixty dollars. They accepted sixty dollars per adjustment, and the price they quote is ninety. They get paid sixty. When someone comes in off the street, the price is also ninety. Okay. In my particular case, I went to the chiropractor and they started billing my insurance company and they had an amount due, and I paid the amount due that the insurance would have paid, but they wanted me to pay the extra thirty bucks because I walked in and I said, well, that makes no sense. Why would you just charge me thirty bucks because I walked in and if I have insurance, I automatically get it for sixty. They couldn't justify it. It gets weird. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Please time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped of news. You need advice? Who you don't have?
Speaker 2: Come run anxious as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 22: Come Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show Now, Tom Martinez.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to the show. This horo brought to you by renew Home Innovations dot com. You want to make a beautiful walkin shower. You'll never see one more beautiful with flat, beautiful sheets of porcelain. They can now do all the walls in the shower, no meats, they can do your bathroom back splashes, whatever you need. They even do some ways coating with it. Renew home Innovations dot Com two or three days to get your project done, two or three days. Then you have all kinds of repayment options. Three three, eight, six y two. Let's just make sure I have that number, but you really want to call them, and that's renew home Innovations dot Com. And the number is three oh three nine or a four to two thousand. Okay. Sally called a while ago and has a follow up. Sally, what is happening with you?
Speaker 12: Well, I had the case of the property manager fief that took the inbound and outbound security deposits and three months of rent. Yes, And when I called you that first time, he's made very clear that I should immediately take care of it. I didn't understand really the urgency of it, but turned out to be very significant.
Speaker 4: Is this was Daryl right? What wasn't this Daryl Evangelista? Yeah, Darryl, Yeah, he was taking your money as a manager, but not passing it on to you. So what did you do?
Speaker 12: Well, I went over that day and the tenants were going to pay him the next morning, so that's when it stopped. But anyway, I went through you told me, you know that's to do that. Yes, I went through the courts, and I got my first restitution check on Saturday. So I wanted to let you know.
Speaker 4: Oh, not how much was it, Sally?
Speaker 12: Well not too much, less than a half a percent. But the thing of it is it's in the works now and that means that you know, what you told me to go over there quickly was important, and that his probation officer is doing his job.
Speaker 14: And you know that grows old, God, that does grow interest while it's sitting there.
Speaker 12: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 4: So right now, right now, people you know, don't do don't do wrong. If you're if you look at we're going to come after you. And Sally's getting the money they're going to collect from this guy, especially since he's on probation. Not paying would be a violation of probation. But can you believe the balls in this guy? He's out on parole or out on probation.
Speaker 10: I think.
Speaker 4: It could be probation. He was collecting money and not forwarding it. I mean imagine that.
Speaker 9: No, Sally, Now did the property management company cover those losses?
Speaker 4: Also? He was the property management company?
Speaker 9: Well, how about the I guess the property management or the property owner.
Speaker 4: They didn't make you pay rent twice? She's the owner, I thought, Yeah, she's the owner. She's the owner, and she wasn't getting her rent. Yup. Thank you for calling Sally. We love it again. The dinger ding ding ding. I love using my dinger. Nothing like it, Nothing like it. I'll tell you that. You know what, Just look for reasons every day to use a dinger and you'll be happy. How's that that's a good philosophy of life. Use your dinger every day and happiness will come your way. Okay, I just copyrighted that. Nobody can use it. Use your dinger every day and happiness will come your way. Oh there's so many. Yeah, there's so many innuendos there, even in uendo, there's innuendos. Anyway, skill it. What's happening?
Speaker 23: Hey, I talked to you a while back about that flight that was canceled on Delta. So you told me to send them off an email and I did about four days that Yes.
Speaker 4: This was where you missed your train.
Speaker 5: That was American.
Speaker 23: I've had two airline episodes. This was the second reason.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I know it. Wow.
Speaker 23: Well, to make a long story short, we finally got on the plane like an hour late, and then and then we're still sitting there for an hour and they said, well, we're still loading luggage. I said, man, I want to go home. So I asked the stewardess if I could get off the plane and you know, just go home on a different plane. So they let me talk to a gate agent and I said, well, if I go home, will you guys charge me extra? Like what's what happened on American? They said, well, we don't know. And that's pretty stupid to say that, because I said, well, if I fly out to Vegas, I got a fly all the way back to Atlanta and then back to Vegas again, it'll cost you more money to do it that way.
Speaker 8: I just want to know.
Speaker 23: Can I just grab the next plane home to Dallas will not have to pay the extra money. They couldn't answer my question, so I stayed on the plane. But in that note I'm stupid there. I put in there in that note that I think the reason that plane didn't leave was they were waiting on freight from an eighteen wheeler. So all you consumers out there, the old baby jack to a favor and don't fly down them.
Speaker 6: I'm getting night and.
Speaker 24: On the mosside.
Speaker 4: I love people who are really fired up. Hey Skillett, you didn't have to hang up. I wanted to hear more of you preplay that, would you please? I mean, I love it. I love that if consumers come up with their own battle cries for each problem, I'll be happy. Yeah, Like, let's see the tooth one. No cavities, We're gonna dig you a cavity. You said I had cavity. I had no cavities. Gum disease, okay, three oh three seven one three eight two five five. So uh, bob logan, we have a question here for you. Do you guys do septics? Go ahead, we do not do septics.
Speaker 10: Okay, Now we can if you have an issue with the line going from the house to the septic, we can help you out. But no, once we do not do septic.
Speaker 4: And then wells would be the same as any water supply. If that the you can handle it from the house.
Speaker 10: In right, correct?
Speaker 4: But yeah, and then then well no, no, that's the well itself. Right, Okay, go ahead, Dmitri has been dying to do this all day. Stump the expert, Bob.
Speaker 10: Oh wait, we're talking to me.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, if you're not, the expert will give you even a little time to find out. But he just want yeah, okay, go ahead, thanks, Let's just see what he knows. He's a good guy.
Speaker 9: Every few years, I have to I have to have my kitchen train line snake because I begin to hear this occasional gurgling sound, which kind of me to believe that there's a construction that's growing within the pipes.
Speaker 4: Yes, do get worse each year?
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, I just have to do it every five or six years. Okay, the moment I hear that sound, I call the plumber and they send the snake out. However, Bob, all day long, what's going down that drain line is hot water and soap and detergent. And why are drain lines the cleanest? Why aren't they the cleanest thing in the universe? I mean, if I washed myself like I washed those plumbing lines.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have any skin left.
Speaker 10: I know where you're coming from. It's because of the grease that comes from the food products and everything else that you're putting down there with the soap and the hot water, and it's it's starting to build up around the sides and eventually it's just like a you know a good analogy, it'd be like an artery. Right, you have a bunch of fatty foods and your arteri is going to clog up sooner or later. Thankfully, with the drain line, you can you can clear them out. Now there are products, uh we we sell a couple that ongoing maintenance things. Never used DRAINO. Don't use those things. They're not good for them. They don't work, they're well, they're not good for anything.
Speaker 4: Use a mad But if you have a pea trap, you use If you have a little local pea trap lock locked up in your bathroom because of hair and stuff.
Speaker 10: I mean, you can take that pea trap off and clear it out.
Speaker 4: Now I've done that before, but a lot of people don't know how to do that, Bob. They can pour stuff in a sink and wait six hours and.
Speaker 10: You're right and and it will work.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 10: Some of those products work, they're just not great for the environment or anything else like that. We have maintenance products and you can buy them online to bioline, or you have bioclean that you do well weekly or we just do uh. You know, initially you'll do it every day for about a week and then and then about once a month after that, just to just to it's basically an organic.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 10: It'll break down the fatty substances in your drains. They're good for septic tanks too, like bout one and bio clean, and they're great receeptic solos in your septic tanks.
Speaker 14: So hey, hey, Dmitri, how much do you spend on that train cleaning each time?
Speaker 9: I'd say, well, this last time was about a year and a half ago, and I think it cost me three hundred and sixty bucks.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you a secret, fo, he's going to cost them for sixty how much?
Speaker 14: Let me tell you a secret going forward. The man you're sitting next to, of course runs a plumb line. These guys will go to any house not only snake it for you for ninety three bucks. But if they can't, let's say a tree trunk went and broke the line and they can't snake the tree trunk.
Speaker 4: Then you pay them nothing.
Speaker 14: They'll give you a free estimate, but it's ninety three or free. Anybody out there that's fan ninety was crazy?
Speaker 4: Hold on.
Speaker 9: Even though that sounds like the deal of the year, I won't be able to take advantage of it because I live in a multi unit building, which is all outside the scope of what Bob's companies said.
Speaker 4: I can't do that. There is so complicated comments make everything common. Yeah, all right, so we got to say you break three h three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Yeah, ninety three or three has always been a big deal. Three oh three five eighty six, ten eighty six is plumb line Services dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here at three oh three seven one three talk seven one three A two five five A. Right, did we ever answer the stump the plumber question? Did we ever answer? I mean, you talked about snaking every three or four years? Was that a question or a stump?
Speaker 9: My question actually proceeded that, which was, why isn't my plumbing the cleanest thing in the known universe? Because the subjected isater and soap, and yet it still gets clogged up.
Speaker 4: And I know, but it was getting clogged up by something coming into it. Bob explained that it's like the grease that builds up. Go ahead, find one, find one that can stump them, Bob.
Speaker 10: That won't be too hard.
Speaker 9: Bob, what are what are some of the weird things that your crews have found in people's plumbing?
Speaker 10: Oh, I'm not even going to go there.
Speaker 4: No, really on this one time, and I wished I did not. Oh, I'm sorry, Really that bad? I withdraw my question.
Speaker 14: Well, everybody's thinking now, so I might as well just like this The Family Show By the.
Speaker 4: Way, as we get into this, I have a trivia question, and I want you to tell me, as we move into spring and summer, what is the what is the deadliest animal species whatever? In Colorado?
Speaker 10: Snake that can?
Speaker 4: Don't do you use this? Knock a peko in your hair? I didn't attributed fifty one people killed last year alone? What fifty one people killed? Rattlers? The deadliest predator, the deadliest predator in all of Colorado. And this is statistically, this is this comparator Colorado with the disease rattlesnakes. Come on, morons. Nobody dies from snake bites anymore. No, not rattlesnakes about it's pretty deadly. But anybody have any ideas my mother deadliest predator and all of elk No, tom, a squirrel?
Speaker 2: A squirrel?
Speaker 4: No, you think a squirrel would kill people? No chance, mountain lion. There are plenty of animals. I'm reading now from and I'm reading from out there Colorado. Oh now, mosquito, go ahead. Oh he just looked it up. Marcus Sich a googler. Marcus, he's a total They consider predators. Mosquitos are predators.
Speaker 23: Predator.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't think mosquitoes are predators, Well, sorry, but you're wrong.
Speaker 4: They are. There are plenty of animals that kill humans in Colorado black bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes, bison, moose, even big horn sheep todame a few. Granted, deaths caused by these animals tend to be far few and far between, but encounters having this species listen. That being said, the deadliest species in Colorado does the opposite, feasting on human blood in order to stay alive, killing several dozen Colorado's last year alone.
Speaker 10: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Mosquito by count has so far resulted since they've been keeping track since two thousand and three, two hundred and twenty nine deaths.
Speaker 10: Ooh interesting Colorado.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty three, fifty one Colorado's were killed by mosquito transmitteds West Nile virus six hundred and thirty four documented cases. Think about that.
Speaker 9: You know that's a nasty disease. I know somebody who got that about ten years ago. Took him years to get over the fatigue that was caused by West Nile virus.
Speaker 4: Twenty four Here how did it get here?
Speaker 9: I mean, no mosquito can fly from the Nile all the way to Colorado.
Speaker 4: No, it's that they're a carrier of the nile from a carrier. It's not the mosquito. The mosquito picks it up from a carrier and then spreads it. Disgusting. So anyway that you can take to the bank. Fifty one people killed, the deadliest one in Colorado, the deadliest predator. And who would have thunked that? Okay, Now, of course, mister he's like a child. By the way, dragon's like a child. Once he gets onto something, he never lets it go. He never lets it go. You're gonna guess what who is the most victimized segment of our society when it comes to cyber and digital fraud? Kids? Senior citizens sor I'd say kids. Correct, eighty six percent of kids eighteen to fifty nine. Well, you're not a kid at fifty nine. But that's the segment right there. Younger adults sate, Well, that's.
Speaker 14: All that might just say anybody eighteen to fifteen nine.
Speaker 4: No, it's not pretty broad. Eighteen to fifty nine, I know it's pretty broad. That's not even a segment. That's the population what they're calling it a segment. No, what are you saying I'm not I'm not a person. He said, you're over You're in the sigment sixty onward only. Yeah, there's a lot of kids get taught up in that. What do they call it, to sex thing, the sex stortion. Listen to this the young well, I say, young people eighteen to fifty nine. What you say, the population is thirty three hundred and thirty percent more likely to be scammed than people sixty and older. I thought it would be, honest to god, though I thought older people would be scammed more. They're not taking the raw numbers because the raw numbers obviously would be skewed. They're saying the likelihood of being scammed in your demographic and it's three hundred and thirty percent more than if you're sixty and older. To make it long story short, less sixteen older people are fall for investment scams, government and poster scams is almost dead. Even they both younger and older people all fall for it. Romance scams. Now, I would have thunked it would hit sixty and older. It doesn't. The it's sixty in undergrowd.
Speaker 10: But that's probably because of the time they spend online.
Speaker 4: It's the under you're right, more people spend time online. You're right. Now, Here's where it gets really out of balance. Tech support scams where they mirror your screen, or they say your computer is frozen, or Microsoft needs to help you recover your account or Google three hundred and ninety eight percent more likely sixty and older.
Speaker 9: Yeah, town, We had calls like that from several people whose elderly parents got scammed like that, and one guy put thirty two thousand dollars. This is a deputy dollar work that case a few months ago. Yeah, he put thirty two thousand dollars into a bitcoin machine in the back of some liquor store.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was crazy, Yes, crazy. Now, prizes and sweepstakes one hundred and twenty six percent more likely sixty and older. So people sixty and older, family and friend and posts. That's where you answer the phone. Hello, grandma, Yeah, is this you too?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's so weird. I'm in jail.
Speaker 14: I need bail because my dad got hit with one horse.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, did they say they were no.
Speaker 14: What they said if someone got into his boss's Gmail account and he thought his boss was emailing them and she was in a bind and needed to get some gift.
Speaker 4: Cards for some clients.
Speaker 14: Would you please go to Amazon get me five gift cards for one hundred each and send them to me.
Speaker 4: And he did it fooling.
Speaker 10: The same thing happened to one of my employees. I was out of town, and I don't know how they knew or if they.
Speaker 4: If it didn't cost the business money, didn't.
Speaker 10: Uh, it costs the employee one thousand bucks. I reimbursed her.
Speaker 4: Really, why what do you mean why why would you reimburse an employee that got ripped off?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, because they pretended.
Speaker 10: To be you from my email address.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 10: Right. He came from my email address saying, Hey, I'm out of town. I want to do a surprise for the people out.
Speaker 4: So you mean that five hundred I sent you today saying Hey Tom, I'm running short on some cash. That was a whole different Okay now, friend, So obviously sixty and older fall for those more fake check scams, which segment of the population under sixty or over. What's a fake checks? What is a check? Fake?
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 4: Like, like they send you a check and say we overpaid you by mistake. You got to send back the overage it's usually an overpayment on something kids, a payment you shouldn't have gotten that.
Speaker 10: That was big with cars I was selling a long time.
Speaker 4: That's what you were selling.
Speaker 10: One he sent me fifteen thousand bucks. I was only asking ten for it, and they said.
Speaker 4: We need the other five for this or that or the other thing. How did that turn out, Bob?
Speaker 10: I just called in Cashi's no, I call the authorities. I told them the Pope.
Speaker 4: So what they usually do is say, I need to ship the car. So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to send you eighteen grand. You want fifteen. Take the three grand. Somebody's going to a carrier is going to come. A courier is going to come and pick up the the extra three grand. So then somebody comes to the door. This person comes to the door and acts as the carrier and takes the three grand. That's usually that works. Job scams, well, that's pretty obvious. It's sixty and under or under sixty I mean fifty nine and under. So those are that's the profile of being scammed, and no one's immune to it. But here's what really bothered me. I was going to say this before we got such an influx of calls, and again, of course your calls will take precedent three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Here's what bothers me. All of that money lost, and it's mostly by people who can least afford to lose it. My god, when you read about some of these people that literally wire or take out their money and buy gift cards, I mean it's astronomically it's hard to believe how many people are falling for cyber crime. To me, you know what they really need?
Speaker 10: And I mean this.
Speaker 4: You know how people laugh when Trump did Space Force, you know, blahah, But we really need a cyber police just to do nothing but cyber law enforcement and the FBI. You know, they tried to do it in the day and they were technically wire specialists and all of that, but it's not going to make it. What I truly believe is we need a cyber investigative Force or something, call it whatever, but we need one specially dedicated to just online and digital scams. Because you could hire the best, you know, get Elon Musk to put together a crew. I mean, I'm a serious heart, we really do.
Speaker 14: You know what's hard about it is when is it a they're all scams, But when does it legally go past that? In other words, to me, if someone shows up to your front door and sells you a gym membership, I find that to be a scam as well, although the courts might not find it that way.
Speaker 4: So when someone does talk you out of money.
Speaker 14: Because you think it's some guy that likes you or some girl that likes you in another country and you literally, you know, wire them money is at a scam. Who's to say who gets what money back? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, But I'll tell you we need to do something. People are losing everything. I mean they really are. Look at your dad, pretty sophisticated in business for many years and still didn't even think anything about that, did he?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: Not at well, especially when they can spoof your email. That's the scariest thing.
Speaker 14: Well, I don't got to take your break back to mar I don't think it's spoofed. I think they literally take control of his boss's email.
Speaker 4: By the way, CMG Financial for your next loan, CMG Financial go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content time for an insurance cup free no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter three all three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. All right, we have Let's see there are some other things I wanted to talk about. There are very important. Let me find it here. Okay, Now, what do you think is the most gambling addicted state in the country. Fact, Now, the reason I'm talking about your scams and gambling is I'm trying to make a point here. Then, most of American's problems, I'm serious, when it comes to economy and finance comes from within, not from without. I'm not saying that the government can't affect it. The government certainly affects you. The stock market affects you everything, but most economic pressure, rewards or or risk or bad things happen from within. One of them is being a victim of crime or fraud in a way that's self induced. Okay, it is. And the other one is when you talk about gambling. Now that's not a big thing. But what would you say are the most If you had to pick the number one state, it has to be so obvious. I'm going with North Dakota, No, for number one addicted state?
Speaker 14: Nebraska, Nevada, of course, Nevada.
Speaker 4: Then they're going by Jersey. No, South Dakota then, oh, South Dakota.
Speaker 10: That's what I'm met.
Speaker 4: Why South Dakota. Oh, because they have all of them. They had casinos out there Deadwood, Yeah, Deadwood, yep. And so Nevada which is a home of casino. South Dakota the home of casinos. But why is number three the most addicted state Montana? I don't know what are you kidding me? That doesn't Montana?
Speaker 14: And then for Louisiana, I guess that's based Is all these based on population?
Speaker 4: No, it's it's the most. It says per cabit everywhere. But what they did is did it they take per cabit that's right. The people who have an effect have.
Speaker 10: They told by money.
Speaker 14: We went through Montana last year on a long bus trip.
Speaker 4: And I just thought of something.
Speaker 14: Almost every little town, big town grocery store, convenience store had slot machines in them every restaurant. There was no big casinos at all, like you're thinking Vegas or even up the hill here at Central City or Blackhawk they were, but that slot machines were absolutely everywhere.
Speaker 4: Tom So, Montana ranks number three for gambling addiction and Colorado where would you say? It ranks thirteen? Gee, Bob, do you think it's higher or love?
Speaker 10: I'm going I'm going like twenty something.
Speaker 4: Now it's not go ahead, I would say we're close to the bottom of the list. We're at twenty three, Bob Logan, You're really close. Hey, you're going next to us Kansas. The turnaround Tom's going to give you is Janior. Real quick, there we go. Kansas is forty two, Nebraska forty seven. We're surrounded New Mexico thirty one, so we're right. Utah's fifty, Wyoming is sixteen. The surrounding Texas is number fourteen, Florida nine, which surprises me because they have all the Indian casinos, a lot of Indian casinos. Have you ever gone to an Indian casino? Mark? Oh my god.
Speaker 14: Over the years, I used to take my grandmother to one outside of Phoenix.
Speaker 4: I go pick her up and go to the Indian casino. What I think they have them there? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Well yeah, listen, back in the day, which was really crazy, most Indian casinos you couldn't get liquor. And I'd never heard of not having a beer while you're you know, watching the sports game going on, or playing a slot machine or poker. But back then, the Indian reservations wouldn't allow liquor on them, at least in Arizona.
Speaker 4: Arizona. Yeah, well, you know, all my all my observations of all of that Indian lifestyle and reservations came from outdated which would be cursed and and and canceled series. Now, if you ever heard some of these old westerns, me me drink firewater. I mean, it's like it's like they portray Indians as complete idiots or the Native Americans as complete idiots. I grew I'm serious, I can't even believe they made them. Yeah, I grew up when I was in middle school.
Speaker 14: I was in Broken Aarow, Oklahoma, and I had a really good friend I was in middle school. His name was Sun McHenry and he was probably eighty ninety percent Indian, if not full, to be quite honest, and I think his dad was. And I go over to his house on the reservation occasionally.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 14: And it was the most depressing thing in the world. Every house out there looked basically the same. It was very broke. They did not allow liquor, I remember that on it, but a lot of them did. And it was just one of the most depressed things I've ever seen. It's absolutely horrible how those people live.
Speaker 10: It's horrible.
Speaker 4: It's horrible. Is it still like that though, I don't know if it's still. That's thirty's.
Speaker 10: Forty years ago, forty years Yeah. We occasionally do mission trips up and uh.
Speaker 4: And they live in squadifoda.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's why don't we Why why don't we? Why don't we help like people? Truly? Indeed, as a result of greed, here's what they do. Here's why the government did listen some of that some of that doge money going overseas. Here's what happened, And so within the meeting habits of Mosquitos.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but what happens with the Indian reservations in Oklahoma? Back then, their their genius plan was, Okay, we're gonna do Indian smoke shops so people could go buy whatever brand cigarette, cigarettes or tobacco they had, and you wouldn't have to pay sales tax, which was great because you get rid of the federal and the state and local sales tax on a.
Speaker 4: Pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 14: Back then, you know they're selling them for fifty cents a pack. Everybody else is a dollar a pack, double the price. Then they started doing it with casinos, so Indians could have casinos and profits. But then companies like Bally's and these big, huge companies would come in and do the management, and then the tribe is left with nothing nothing.
Speaker 4: My god. Yeah, anyway, we got to take a break on Tom Martino three oh three, seven to one to three talks seven one three eight two five five. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three oh three seven one three ta seven one three A two five five. All right. Now, we have done our share of talking about the economy and stuff like that. But I've been and theory is that most ruin of the of some economy from within. You your high risk, your victim. And one of the other things. Here's one of the biggest problems I find it were most problems where most problems start. And really it's going to be very easy to back this up with all of my data, and that is the use of credit, or shall I say, the misuse of credit. If I had to pick something that brings people down first before anything, it would be transportation and misuse of credit, sometimes both the same, but with misuse of credit. And I just was talking to my son and daughter about this the other day. I said, they look at the credit card as second income, or a or a second credit card as third income. They literally look at it as if it is income to them, and they use it as if it's a friend. But they don't realize they're going to have to pay it bag. But they don't look at the payback. They look at the monthly payment, which is the worst because that monthly payment is showing about forty to fifty years of debt. Forty to fifty years of debt. So when somebody says, oh, that's just two dollars a month, I'm gonna buy it, they don't say it's this much. They say she was a month. I knew a girl had twelve credit cards, she was just out of college, twelve credit cards, and she would rotate her payments, you know, she would rote tate the card use. And she had excellent credit because she has so many cards and so little usage and because she can't use all twelve right. So when she bought something, though, she'd look at a Louis Vuitton bag and she say, oh, thirty six hundred dollars at the time, not a big deal, that's only so much a month, and it was truly dangerous. Then I had somebody who was in business, she said as computer repair. She was in computer repairs. She had this business. So here's this was her model. She would use her credit card to go out and buy motherboards and things and build up computers and then sell them. And when she sold them, she put the money into her account as if it was income. She put no money away for taxes, nor did she put any money away to pay the credit card, which was her cost of goods sold.
Speaker 10: No one.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are so many single owned businesses that don't consider cost of goods sold. They look at money as money coming in, and they don't look at money going out. They also don't consider their own time, which is detrimental. So those are the biggest problems I find with everyone going into adulthood. I'm Tom Martinez. We have more coming up on The Troubleshooter Show. Three three seven, one, three eight, two five five Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Ruffer sell roofing dot com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Three Time for an insurance check up, free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped of.
Speaker 2: News.
Speaker 1: You needed that, so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come run anxious status.
Speaker 3: We can Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 1: Come.
Speaker 22: Six is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hello.
Speaker 4: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three A two five. As we do in every show, we try to find people who need help and we help them. And that's what our function is. If you have a problem, question or complaint. We also get texts and emails and I put them aside. And we had one on actually something I don't know about beer brewing at home and small batch breweries. We were hoping to get Steve on, one of our friends who does a lot of brewing of beer, and until we do, we won't.
Speaker 10: We won't.
Speaker 4: Actually, Sudie, let's see if we can't get him on Mark, I've already tried.
Speaker 14: Oh okay, yeah, that did he tell you what's going on out there at Rock and Roll Brewery.
Speaker 4: No, oh dude, what's what's going on? It's cool.
Speaker 14: So starting real soon on Saturdays he can have people out to his brewery. Now, why it's different than most places. It's only going to be on Saturdays. It's in a residential address. But he finally got all the permitting, so on Saturdays every weekend, six months out of the year, and it's starting anytime soon. And it's a maximum of twenty five people. So we still getting through a little bit of the logistics. But I suggest you and I fly out there.
Speaker 4: Soon and that would be fun. Yeah, that would be fun. So I'm getting something here. And they said, should you tip for a free valet service? Because if you do, it's kind of not free, is it? So what do you do when they offer complimentary valet service? Somebody wants to know what is the what what do you do about tipping? I always tip? I don't know, do you mark? I always ballets ticks? Now, what do you do when you are using an app and it doesn't allow it doesn't show a place for tipping, but you can tip for you can tip for cash, but you don't have cash. What do you do? You know what I've been doing, and almost everybody doesn't. And I say, give you your Venmo. They show me a QR code, which of course could be dangerous as hell, because if some tech guy was really, really astute and he put on his phone a fake Venmo, he could literally have me downloading stuff onto my phone. I never even thought of it. Now, I just gave some crooked son of an idea to go become a fake Falet guy. He holds up his Venmo and you just scan in a bunch of parasites. But truly, tipping has become a guilt trip for a lot of things.
Speaker 14: I believe tipping I override a lot of them now because I'm sick of Like.
Speaker 4: We were at a place the other day.
Speaker 14: It was twenty twenty two, and like twenty six percent, fifteen percent is just been negated. It's nowhere anymore. And the reason was all they did was hand me a beer. Literally, that's all they did. I'm in line, they hand me a beer, I pay for the one beer. They turn around and expect for their five seconds of handing me the beer in an additional four or five bucks. I'm like, you're crazy, Yeah, I do tipping this way, And I used to not do it.
Speaker 4: But here's what I do for all the to go orders and the automatic stuff I call automatic, getting you a coffee or some a prepared sandwich. Even you go to Starbucks, right and you buy prepared foods. So I do twenty percent. I don't know why, but I do because I just figure they're working stiffs, so what it goes to them? Okay, I don't know what the rule is. I've so I gave up trying to make a rule, and I just do twenty percent across the board. And at a restaurant, I do a little more if they do better service. And I don't ever do less. I mean unless it's insulting service. I don't tip anything, but I let them know, you know, in no uncertain terms that this is why I'm doing this. So the bottom line is the when do you tip? Not necessarily what do you tip? You know, twenty percent twenty percent, but when like I would say, there are certain plot times you always tip, But there are times I think that are questionable and I don't know what to do. Like I was at a Sherwin Williams or another paint store. Maybe I shouldn't have said Herwin. I don't know. And I brought in a paint patch said can you match this? And the guy's working with me, and he works with me for about fifteen to twenty minutes to get it perfect, and then he mixes me up a pint because I only need a small job, and I'm wondering, should I have tipped him? Now, Demetri, you're saying yes, but that you know, marking at a clerk at a paint store. Normally you wouldn't think of tipping, but you would because of that extra service. Dmetri. Yeah, the extra service.
Speaker 9: Plus you know, it's nice to build a relationship with someone like that because you're probably gonna need some more paints.
Speaker 4: So that's not a bad idea.
Speaker 10: So, Bob Logan, what do you think you know in a situation like that. I don't know if I would because typically they're compensated, not that they're paid super well, but no, I know, should and hourly where the other things wait persons are yeah, wait people, I mean they're expecting tips part of their compensation.
Speaker 4: So Mark, what would you do in that case?
Speaker 14: What would I do in that case? I probably wouldn't tip in that case at all. Nope, Okay, I sow that question there are. I got a question for Bob though, how about what is plumb line like?
Speaker 4: You know, That's exactly what I was going to ask. Somebody comes to my house and it salls the furnace.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I want to get in in trouble, so I want to hear his policies first, no or a water.
Speaker 4: Heater and you say thank you very much as such, and they show you and I cleaned up around here and did this? Did that? Are they pimping for a tip? And I don't mean just prumline or people. What is the rule on that? I've always wondered about home services. Should you tip the plumber? Should you tip the hvac guys? Should you tip Dimitri? You're very generous. You're saying yes, yes, yes, and no.
Speaker 10: It's interesting because when people come to my home, I tip them. But so it used to be a hardcore policy hip plumb line. Absolutely no, you don't accept tips under any circumstances. Now it's it's hey. First of all, if you ever asked for a tip or hold your hand or anything like that, or hint to it as you're probably gone terminator for something like that, right, you should never expect it, but there are people who have are adamant, like, hey, you guys worked hard. I appreciate what you do. You know, here's here's money for lunch, whatever the case might be. So we always we always ask our employees, hey, turn it away, say no, you know, I appreciate it, but that's not necessary. And if somebody's super adamant, you know, I don't want to. I don't want to keep my employees from accepting it. But uh, but we we kind of frown against it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, okay, you know we don't want to.
Speaker 10: We don't. We don't want any employees insinuating that they deserve a tip. No, we don't want guilty you need it or guilty, and you should never feel guilty. I mean, we're we're so happy to be in your home and and you're providing us the jobs. You don't need to be tipping us. But but we've all had people in our homes and some excel and some are just you know, they don't respect your home. They you know, this dragged mudd.
Speaker 4: Well, not for you. I guess if I was extra satisfied with the service, I would tip if they found a problem and did Hey, you know here was able to do this, this, and this. I think I would. I don't think I would every single time. Sometimes I just shake their hand and say thank you. Yes.
Speaker 25: What about someone like delivering furniture or a piece of exercise equipment something.
Speaker 4: I always Now you mentioned that specifically, You're right, I just had exercise equipment ordered, they delivered and set up. I always tip. I always tip delivery people.
Speaker 14: A lot of times you're not sure what though on an outside like, oh no, no, you are paying for it. Yeah, I mean we were florid to track and they used they call it to last mile or something like that. And the guy owned his own right, He owned his own setup though. I mean literally, the guy that came and set it up and made sure it was working and all that stuff that was his own company.
Speaker 4: So so I go back and go, do you do you tip.
Speaker 14: The owner of a company?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Why not? I mean why happy? Okay?
Speaker 9: Everybody's happy to get an extra twenty bucks. And if you look at your annual budget, all these tips, they really are not going to add up to a whole lot of money compared to you know, the happiness and joy.
Speaker 4: How about to people's lives? How about movers. Oh yeah, they should get paid too, if they're any good. I've yet to run into ones that I wanted to tip. Have you ever wondered, ever, have you ever wondered if the tip gets where it's supposed to go. Oh my god, I'm going to give you some example.
Speaker 14: Well, hold on, I'm going to give you a huge example that just happened here in Colorado. Talk about crazy. I mean, it's absolutely insane. There was a strip bar downtown that all the tips. You know, I wouldn't know anything about this, but bo probably does. When you throw the dollars up onto the stage, you would assume they're going to the girl dancing. Would that be a pretty basic assumption?
Speaker 4: All of it? Should all of it?
Speaker 14: They were taking all the people's tips.
Speaker 4: Tom, I am not kidding.
Speaker 14: They were taking all the all the people's tips the state of Colorado. Just find them fourteen million dollars. It's probably going to put them out of business. Fourteen million million dollars.
Speaker 4: To Denver strip. I just pulled the up. Let me, what's the name of this place? Golden Boobies? I mean, what the heck?
Speaker 14: I mean, how can how can they even assume diamond Cabaret, Diamond Okay, yeah, so I mean here's the bottom line though, all that money people thought they were given to the worker.
Speaker 4: Uh, they weren't even getting that. Now they forgive me if I'm wrong, forgive me if I'm wrong. When you have stuff a dollar in pennies?
Speaker 2: How do this?
Speaker 4: How did the management get ahold of it that I couldn't tell? I'm serious, I have no idea. Well, are most of those cash tips or yeah, they're all the girls. I have a novel with QR codes on them. No, no, they have pasties with QR codes on them. For tip, you can tip the left to the right. That's oh, I never been in bars. I've never been in strip bar in my life, not once. Strip bars have a way to keep track of this. What they sell you is, for example, at the Diamond Cabaret, what I remember from that.
Speaker 9: Place is they sell you diamond bucks. So you buy a stack of what looks like monopoly like cheese.
Speaker 4: Basically you use that, you use monopoly money for the dancers. Well it's called it's called diamond bucks or diamond dollars something like that. Cheese changing me for you know, tokens.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well there are tokens that's actually paper, so you can stuff them in the girls underwear and it's in house money.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the girls and then they know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then they cash out at the end of their shift. But the house keeps a certain percentage that that's wrong. Oh yeah, that's awful. So I've always used you know, actual real dollars. Listen, but I knew going in that the girls are required to share that with the house. Yeah manager, yeah, scheduling manager. So if I tipped her, say twenty bucks, he did.
Speaker 4: It behind the bars.
Speaker 9: I assume she's gonna get maybe ten or twelve, and really he's gonna Okay, the girls are.
Speaker 4: Not but why would a house take part of tips.
Speaker 9: The girls are not employees, they're independent not you get it, But why should the house of the house is saying, we're providing this place.
Speaker 4: We're providing a par Yeah, but while they're dancing, these guys are drinking, inviting. They were charging fort scheduling.
Speaker 14: They were also charging some of these girls to actually pay to work there, which is insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do, but we're young. Now, hold on, hold on. You know, hairstylists when they pay for their chair, right, they do pay for their chest. Okay, so for his chair and then gets tips, but the house takes the chair rental, but they don't take a share of the tips. Yeah, these guys, I think that's wrong. But I think if they said to a topless answer, you're allowed to come in here and shade your booty thing. No, if they let them do that and charge them for it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 14: The reason you're wrong leaders because they were misclassifying all their dancers.
Speaker 4: They they work.
Speaker 14: There, They tell them what time to show up, where to dance, when to dance. They said, you can't call these people their employees, no matter how you look at it, their employees. So they misclassified that. So that was how they thought they were getting I see, Hey, to me, you said something like you would give her twelve bucks and just cash, like so you would give it to her like in the back door or something.
Speaker 4: Then they'd get to keep it.
Speaker 9: No, I gave no one anything in the back door. I would just hand them cash out in the open. I got to.
Speaker 4: You, I've never I said, listen, listen, I swear to you, I've never been to a bar like this. I don't know you'm asking question. No, I'm asking questions if you want to tip, if you want to tip, do they literally put it in their waistbands? Like that? Is that true? You could? I don't do that because is it truly tradition to do that? Yeah? Yeah, anybody just throw it? Do you ever just throw it at them at the bar? Just set it right on the on the on the floor. Okay, you know, here's the deal. The point is tipping, which we were talking about to begin with, and then we reverted to sex talk. But but but tipping in general? Are there times you feel guilty and tip just because it's more like like Bob said, they insinuate they deserve something. Hey, Tom, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 25: I had a plant store recently. It was specifically a plant store, asked about a few plants I was interested in, bought my plant.
Speaker 4: When I went to purchase it, asked for a tip. That's crazy a retail store like a nursery.
Speaker 25: Well it was, it's right there at Quebec in County Line and Mark where we do.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a plant store there. Did you tip or no? I'm not gonna say.
Speaker 9: Christ My Italian deli were cold.
Speaker 10: Thank you forgetting this back on.
Speaker 4: Wait, you tip when you get cold touchs at the deli.
Speaker 9: Well, under certain circumstances there, their checkout system automatically asks you to add a tip.
Speaker 4: It gives you those people who do sandwiches and souf. Wait wait, well you do buy it. So if it's there and it's automatic, you hit yes. No.
Speaker 9: If it's automatic and I didn't have a special order, like if I'm just getting more to Dell and some cap of coal, I don't tip on that. Okay, but they make special order meatballs for me. I get it and I don't know tip my special order meatballs. Okay, okay, No, they're my meat but they're my keto, they're they're they're carb free meatballs.
Speaker 4: Well aren't all? No, no, no, you red creep balls. You put bread crumbs, you're telling me when you make Yeah, but there's so little breadcrumbs per meatball. Trace carbs, trace carbs. No, there is a break acounting anyway. I gotta take your break on Tom Martino. You want to know meatballs and more? Come up, Come back to the Troubleshooter Show right after this, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot Com.
Speaker 11: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 4: Please time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter. Did you know? I just got an invitation to guess what a grand opening of cracker Barrels somewhere Anyway, Judy, what do you think about? Judy? What do you have to say about tipping?
Speaker 7: Okay, well this is you guys were talking about it, and I found this to be very strange. I went online to help a nephew out with a hit us on for opening day for their little league, and literally you cannot You could give your donation, but literally you could not check out. So you tipped the website?
Speaker 4: What and what did they want for a tip?
Speaker 7: You could, I mean you could ease it. Well, they started them out at like five to ten dollars and you could go customize it, but literally you had to give at least a box or you couldn't get out of the website. You couldn't donate, you couldn't do anything because you're, you know, the use of their site.
Speaker 4: And they was it called was it called an actual Was it actually called a tip or transaction fee or what?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: No, it does tip right on there, tip right on there.
Speaker 4: Now that sucks, man, that sucks because they should at least call it what it is, added profit or service fee or whatever. But it's definitely not a tip. That is ridiculous. And yeah, well okay, well thanks for the thanks for input. So Mark, have you ever heard of sites where they force a tip like that? I have never, I mean, have you seen it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a there's a pizza place downtown that I used to get pizzas from maybe five to ten times a year in a couple of years, and I would always get two goal orders almost all okay, and so place my order online, pick it up, you know, a half an hour an hour later, and a couple of years ago, they switched to a mandatory tip for a takeout order, and I don't have any option I can increase it, I can't zero it out. I can't reduce them. What is I don't remember the percentage?
Speaker 4: Where did we ever get to that?
Speaker 9: It was kind of insulting. So this was three years ago, so I stopped. I stopped buying pizza from them. So it's because it was like, tip should be optional, it should be.
Speaker 4: Up to me. But what what I'm saying is why tip to me? Where did it all start? I wonder where tipping started? Where did it start? Like, why did we all of a sudden we get served a meal that waiter waitress is being paid. I'm not suggesting we don't tip people right now, because we were already in the system, But why did it get that way where restaurants underpaid their staff depending on tips? How did that evolve? I wonder if my boyfriend can help me that. I haven't put it into them yet, but I could see what he regurgitates. That's what I call my artificial intelligence. I used to call it my girlfriend when there was a female voice, but now they took my female voice away, so I don't know what to do about it. But my voice definitely hasn't Adams Apple, So so it's my artificial intelligence, which I use chat GPT, But I'm going to ask it where tipping and mark you're probably googling right now where tipping originated. What I'd really like to know is could we ever go back to assist and where people just get paid? Like do you like the idea of tipping or do you would you rather have a flat room? I would rather know the price and not ever have to tip. I agree with Love one hundred percent.
Speaker 14: I loved Uber when you couldn't tip on Uber no matter what, couldn't do it?
Speaker 4: Oh really, I didn't even know they had a time when you couldn't tip.
Speaker 14: Yeap our favorite Susan I's favorite brewery is one oh five in Castle Rock.
Speaker 4: You cannot tip really unless there anything in there cart. Let's say if you had.
Speaker 25: A you can't on your credit card, if you had a couple of bucks. They have a tip jar for they do a lot. They do a charity every month, so if you insist on tipping, they give it to a charity.
Speaker 4: Oh that's wonderful, and it has to anyway, Okay, And like I said, tipping, we're in the system. We can't just not tip.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I think it would be unfair, and a lot of serve US workers work their asses off. But how about a travel agent or a concierge at a hotel. I always tip, like when you sit there and take up their time. Find out when they get your tickets, so they call restaurants and you're sitting there in the lobby right and you take ten to fifteen minutes of their time. They make all those arrangements. Don't you pop a ten or twenty to them if they do.
Speaker 10: All that for you a lot of time? Show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think concierge, you know, things like that. It's just it's weird though, because there really is. Maybe there is a clear guide to tipping. I just haven't found it. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three out three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Tom Martino, You're a troubleshooter three three seven one three talks seven one three two five five. We're talking about the concept of tipping, and I asked artificial intelligence about it. I call it my boyfriend. Medieval Europe, it started in the sixteen hundreds, believe it or not. They would tip underneath the veils of the servants, whatever the hell that means. Anyway, then they said the tip comes from the etymology. It comes from an old slang to ensure promptitude. Tip. In England the eighteenth century, tipping spread to coffeehouses and taverns, and then the upper classes use it to assert their status by tipping, saying we'll pay extra. Tipping comes to America post Civil War, when wealthy Europeans were here. Americans didn't tip on purpose to distinguish themselves from the wealthy Europeans, but then it eventually spread anyway into restaurants, railways, hotels, service workers businesses. Then the US it became common practice to count tipping toward total wages to keep employers from paying the full amount. So it's entrenched people. It's not something just by you know, off the that just happened in the last few years. Dave, what do you have to say about tipping? Go ahead, Dave, Dave, you know, can you hear me? Yes?
Speaker 22: Sir?
Speaker 24: Okay, So my pet Peeve. You know, I just went to a sporting event this last weekend and no cash anywhere. It's all credit cards. And they used those little coos displays and I've got a beer for ten dollars and sixty five cent. It took them all of twenty seconds to tap it. And when you go to the next screen, it starts at how much would you like to tip? Eighteen percent, twenty percent or twenty two percent. It's like, so my ten dollars beer becomes thirteen dollars when it's over if I put it right here twenty percent? What I why not started it five or ten percent? For a service like pouring a dang beer?
Speaker 4: You shouldn't. It's crazy, you know, we just know what he means. There are people. There are people that hand you a bottle of water out of a display and have a tip on it, or they they grab a bagel that's presliced and put it in a bag for you. I mean, really, I do agree that is it is weird. There are people who are doing prepared items and just handing them to you. It does feel like a wasted tip. I still do it. I'll be honest with you. I still do it, so do I I don't know. How did you find a ten dollars beer? Why is that cheap? No, it sounds expensive.
Speaker 10: You're gonna pay fourteen sixteen bucks?
Speaker 4: Oh with ballerina? Do you know how much I paid for grilled cheese at an avalanche game? Fifteen dollars thirty five bucks. Eighteen bucks for grilled cheese eighteen bucks? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Anyway, you know, listen you what the hell? I mean? Where did it get to be like that? Though?
Speaker 10: Yeah, a bottle of water is like four dollars and seventy five cents?
Speaker 4: Yeah, three oh three seven one three talks seven and three two five five. You know, recently I had an interest in non alcohol right. They have something now a lot of bars are doing called mocktails. Yeah. So I looked at one of the mocktails that was a mohito or something, and and they even really try to make it have a little liquory after taste, but they don't put liquor in. So the mocktail was eighty five or ninety percent of what the regular cocktails. They think. Come on, man, totally, how dare you your fifteen bucks for a drink in thirteen ninety five for the mocktail? I mean the mocktails should be you know, no, I didn't get it, but I mean I thought that was weird. That is weird. And do they have wine that's not I hear how they have wine now that doesn't have alcohol? I've had it? Really, does it taste anything like wine?
Speaker 10: That can't possibly be any good?
Speaker 4: No? I mean, what does it taste like? The wine?
Speaker 9: Didn't it could be the wine I taste that wasn't very good. But the alcohol free beers are pretty good. Really, yeah, I get those once.
Speaker 4: In a while. They're totally alcohol free.
Speaker 14: Surely temples are pretty they're close though they're almost zero, they're very close.
Speaker 4: Surely Shirley temples. Of course, they're not without liquor.
Speaker 10: Anyway, that's the original mocktail.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's the original mocktail. Okay, cool, you're right, it is. And so it would be fun to see what you could come up with like a margarita or they used.
Speaker 10: To call them Virgin Dakrase, but instead of charging three bucks now they charged thirteen.
Speaker 4: They do they do anyway, Phil, Phil, can you update us? What was the problem you were calling in about?
Speaker 21: Well?
Speaker 5: I called in the other day about the water damage and I was having trouble with home site insurance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your insurance company, and what I guess what we said was believed. They claimed they never got the estimate from his contract.
Speaker 2: Right years ago.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, Mark, Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: Tom. So while we were on the air the other day, my wife's email. She looked, and they're sending me a check. So they must have heard you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they we're powerful.
Speaker 17: I was working with the over the variety about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're all going to take credit.
Speaker 14: Did you reach out, Bob, you to Mark one?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think Suzanne handled it.
Speaker 17: I called Kelsey at home.
Speaker 14: So what's the update too, Phil, Did we get it handled for you?
Speaker 5: Not really they didn't. Well, no, they're sending me a check, but they ain't going to be enough. But anyways, I was going to have Chopper.
Speaker 4: We told you to call Matt.
Speaker 5: No, no, Chopper was going to call Jeff at UH at Handyman Connection, and I'm wanting to know what ya doc found out what the estimate there was, because I can't find that out.
Speaker 17: Huh uh, Phil, this is BO I did give. I'm the one that called.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 17: I called Handyman Connection. Talk to Jeff.
Speaker 18: He has submitted the estimate to repair to do the construction on your basement to Kelsey at Home Side Insurance. So and I then put a call in to Kelsey to make sure that she received the estimate, but she has not got back.
Speaker 4: So he called in to talk to Tom. Then You talked to Mark, and then Mark told him to talk to Bo. Then Bo told him to talk.
Speaker 14: To Kelsey, and then Mark reiterated to reach out to a public adjuster. And then Bo called the bank, talked to Sherry. Sherry talked to her boss, Phil, who sent you a check.
Speaker 4: Makes perfect sense.
Speaker 5: God estimate was at at Connection.
Speaker 18: Okay, you uh, you got two estimates. Handyman Connection was twenty seven dollars and the ACE Connection estimate was twenty one thousand.
Speaker 2: Dang.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of dune.
Speaker 17: Now I did not contact a contacted Jeff.
Speaker 5: Okay, so they're sending me name of twenty six thousand, So I think what happened Tom and Mark they heard this and they said, hey.
Speaker 14: Now what happened was Bo called them literally Bo called them.
Speaker 5: Uh huh, And that's what happened.
Speaker 14: By the way, he's getting twenty six No matter, no matter what, we're going to get Bob logan in boss.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's enough, uh for the damage?
Speaker 14: And if an insurance Phil, if an insurance company says they owe you money, but you're arguing on how much money, you call Matt it Paragon.
Speaker 4: Services, Okay, I will do that. There we go it.
Speaker 5: Tom, I don't know if you want to get your dinger out or not.
Speaker 17: Well it's not.
Speaker 4: Get it out, but not for just anybody? What is tell me what this? What? What's the thinger for what we're doing so far?
Speaker 2: You mean for.
Speaker 5: Ya what we're doing for bowl?
Speaker 2: And you know?
Speaker 5: And what happened that? Uh?
Speaker 4: Hey, Phil, what's your favorite drink?
Speaker 5: I don't drink anymore? But it was Jack Daniels Jack?
Speaker 4: Okay, Jack.
Speaker 5: I don't agree anything else.
Speaker 4: Tom's like I used to drink Jack Daniels. No, I never liked it. Yeah, you would drink it with dya Koch. First, I was never I was I was never really well now and then I was never really a heavy drinker of liquor.
Speaker 5: But do you remember I called you a wild back? I don't know. It might have been seven eight years ago, Tom, I told you about the the problem I'm had, I was having, and.
Speaker 4: He's got a mind like a steel trap.
Speaker 5: No, I remember exactly what it was. I think you.
Speaker 4: Remember exactly what it was. But yeah, we don't know what I would remember, Phil, Phil, give me a general idea.
Speaker 5: Well, I lost my wallet up in the mountains.
Speaker 4: That's it. Go ahead, Tom, and I.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no. I told Tom at that time that there was a guy I met up there that had my first name, my middle name, and my last name.
Speaker 4: Okay, did he give it back? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No. I found the wallet the year after. I laid it down and buried it by a rock, and I remember that.
Speaker 13: Why did you bury it?
Speaker 5: Anyways?
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, you said you lost your wallet. Now you're telling me you buried it. And what did I tell you to do with all this?
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, lost, I thought I lost it.
Speaker 4: I thought, that's back when he drank Jack Daniels.
Speaker 10: That's back when you drank it.
Speaker 4: That's what the j that's Jack Daniels talking there. So you thought you lost it, then you remembered you buried it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you told me, Tom, I remember you telling me what You asked me what I was drinking.
Speaker 4: Huh right, I see, okay, I was pretty perceptive at the time.
Speaker 14: How did you happen to realize you buried it and then you found it a year later though I'm dying, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's a weird story, but we don't have time for right now. Hold on, we got more coming up on The Troubleshooter Show.