Speaker 1: Good afternoon. You're listening to Gambling with an Edge.
Speaker 2: Now Here are your hosts, Bob Dancer and Richard Munchkin.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Welcome to Gambling with an Edge on Bob Dancer and I'm Richard Munchkin.
Speaker 2: Our guest today is poker player and sports better Dan Abrams, who has written a new book entitled Sharp Money. Dan Abrams, Welcome to Gambling with an Edge.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thanks for having me by training.
Speaker 2: You're an engineer. How did you get started playing poker?
Speaker 1: Well, like a lot of people in America, when the World Series of Poker started being broadcast on ESPN in two thousand and three. That was the year that Chris Moneymaker won the main event, and it became a very very big deal because he won an online satellite to even get into the main event, and then he wound up winning and it became really riveting television, and they would put it on after you know, Sunday night baseball or whatever games they had going. So I really kind of got interested that way. I had played poker just for fun with my friends even as young as elementary school, but never really played it for money before. And then you know, when when some guy wins two and a half million dollars playing poker. It piques a lot of people's interest.
Speaker 3: So you're really known for RAZ, and you did a lot of teaching of RAZ, and so can you explain sort of how that evolution happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the most popular game obviously was no Limit Hold Them, but most of the online sites would spread other types of games, including seven Card Stud, which I was familiar with from playing as a kid and as a teenager. So I started playing that for a while and I got pretty good at that, and I had seen RAS covered on TV and I understood a little bit about it, but I was primarily concentrating on STUD. And then I went through a period of several days where I couldn't even get a decent starting hand, and if I did, you know, if I got something like split jacks, somebody with a king would raise and then an ace would re raise him and I'd have to fold. And I thought, well, let me give this RAZ game a try, because the starting hands I tend to get seemed to be much better for RAS than they are for STUD. And I just started at the lowest possible stakes, really to get my feet wet, and I found out that there weren't a whole lot of good players at those stakes on like No Limit Hold Them, where you could multi table so easily, that the good players would play at the low stakes, but they would play like twelve or sixteen tables at a time, and that's how they would win money.
Speaker 3: And what was it about REZ that drew you to it other than the fact that usually it's not where all the sharpest people are when you know, kind of go away from the mainstream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And what you could do on the online sites is you could keep track of players that you had played before. You could take notes on them or assign like a color code to them. And I found that a lot of the players that I was going up against in RAZ that were really bad at it, I had notes on them as being very good No Limit Hold Them players, And I began to realize that it's really very much the opposite of No Limit Hold Them in so many ways that the people who were trying it and trying to play the same way they played in the Limit Hold Them were really really bad. So I really got interested that way and started to do a little bit of studying of the game, and there really wasn't much. There was not There was only really one book that had was completely about Raz and that was Sklansky on Poker by David Splansky. So I got that and I read it and I was making all sorts of notes, trying to study it like a textbook, and he does like example hands at the end of the book, and for one of them, he said, in this situation, you should fold unless there's a lot of money in the pot. And I thought, oh, geez, well, I don't know how much a lot of money is to him, right, So I tried to figure it out on my own to see it kind of solve it backwards, to see how much money there would need to be in the pot to make it worth calling in that situation rather than fold. And what I came up with was that it was really a very small amount of money to be in the pot at that point in the hand. And so I was like, huh, maybe there's there's room to investigate Raz here that' Sklansky hadn't really covered. And that's what really got me rolling.
Speaker 2: You said you switched games because you were card dead, which is a type of betting a trend, reasoning that you're now strongly opposed to as an investor. Now you're very much an expert investor now, but when you but using that reasoning for starting RAS seem like a very ploppy move.
Speaker 1: Is that fair? Oh yeah, it's very fair. I mean I've made all sorts of mistakes in when I started investing, when I started playing poker. You know, the same type of thoughts that most people are thinking when they do that. I just managed to analyze them a little bit and overcome those mistakes.
Speaker 3: So how did the You obviously went from begin a RES player to one of the top RES players out there and became kind of a teacher at a site that people tended to really flock to to learn more about RES. How did that come about?
Speaker 1: Well, it's kind of a roundabout story, which I tell in the book, is that I was looking to do some one on one poker coaching for RAZ, specifically because I noticed that at stakes above the level that I was bankrolled to play, there would be a lot of players who really didn't know what they were doing at RAZ at all. They were just hunting away money. And I thought, well, if I can get a few of these guys to be interested in one on one coaching to make a little money on the side doing that, So I was looking for perspective students, and I had had the occasion to be looking at the forums on two plus two if you If you recall, two plus two Publishing has a huge set of forums that were very very popular back in the day, and they had a couple of hands that were played by one of the top no limit hold'em tournament players and they they had they could show the hand history, and they were they were really played badly. So I looked up the guy's profile and he had his email address in the profile. So I sent him an email and I said, hey, look, I'm a RAZ specialist. I play the game almost exclusively. I've done all this research and if you would be interested, I would like to coach you. And I basically gave him, like some some free example hands to take a look at to see what he thought. It ended up he didn't and he didn't wind up taking me on as a coach, But later on he apparently talked to some of his friends about it, and they were starting up a poker training site, so they reached out to me and said, would you be interested in making videos on RAZ? And so that's how I got that gig.
Speaker 3: Are those videos still out there?
Speaker 1: No, actually they're not. They had a that site ended up being bought by card Runners, which was a much bigger site, and I eventually made some videos for card Runners. So actually, if you look on YouTube, you can see some of the snippets that card Runners would put out as like, you know, five minute trailer of my videos. There's still a few of those on YouTube if you look them up.
Speaker 3: Can can you still find RAS games? Are there? I assume there's a RAS tournament in the World Series.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The World Series now has two RAZ tournaments every year, and of course they have mixed game tournaments. It's probably about seven or eight of them each year that include RAZ. It's part of like a horse game or an eight game mix and that sort of thing. And they have there's some sites online sites that will feature RAZ still, but mostly in the US. You can only play in certain states unless you use crypto sites. So the crypto site called Fena that still has RAS and they get RAZ games going occasionally.
Speaker 3: Are you still actively playing or no?
Speaker 1: Yeah? At this point, you know, just every once in a while. I think the games are so sporadic but I will play when they're available.
Speaker 2: Now it's it's well known that a number of very successful poker players have lost a ton of money betting sports. Yeah, didn't that give you pause before you went that route? And how did you assume your journey would be different than theirs?
Speaker 1: It gave me a lot of pause, you know. I started playing poker probably the end of two thousand and three, and and I didn't start betting sports until twenty twenty. And I really never intended to bet sports at all, because I'd heard from several people that that's the best way for a poker player, a good poker player to lose money, to start betting sports. But they had a site in Pennsylvania where I lived at the time, which was Poker Stars for Poker, But then they also had a section for sports betting through Fox Bet, and so they would send promotions to me all the time, saying, you know, here's an odds boost or a free bet or whatever to try to get me interested in sports betting. So I reached out to my friend Eric, who I had played poker with for years, and he had started sports betting, and I sought out his advice and started playing.
Speaker 3: Through that, and are you still doing that?
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean Fox bet is no more they shut down, but I'm still actively sports betting and you still doing well with that.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that really caught my eye in the book was your discussion about why it may be a good thing to over bet your bankroll when you're starting out and have a small bankroll. So you can we talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, that's the sort of thing that is actually being talked about in financial circles by a lot of academics because, you know, they want to guide people in how to construct the portfolio, and you know, you want to have a certain amount of risk associated with your portfolio, but not too much risk because you know you want to protect it. Same thing with your bankroll. But they realize that the amount of money you have in your portfolio now doesn't represent the whole story. You have to take into account how much future earnings you're going to have. So somebody close to retirement should be a lot more conservative with their bankroll or their portfolio then somebody in their twenties or thirties should be. And they actually did a lot of very complicated academic research to prove this point and so I said, well, the same thing can apply equally well to sports betting. I mean, when you have when you're at a professional level and you have a bankroll, say in the millions, are close to it, that's very hard to replace. But if you're doing it on the side where you're earning an income from a job and you're using a certain amount set size as your bankroll, if you have to, if you go bust on that bankroll and you have to replenish it, and say you take three or four months to replenish it, that's not a disaster. You take a break, but you're not out of the game. And the whole idea of protecting your bank roll is if you lose your whole bankroll, you're out of the game. You can't bet anymore, and you can't take advantage of your edge anymore at that point. So it's really and it was the sort of thing in poker that was very, very common and probably still is for the younger players where they would take shots at higher levels and I did as well, you know when I was starting out. You know, they'll they'll take set aside, maybe twenty percent of their bank roll and say, okay, I'm going to go up a couple of levels and see if I can beat them. And if they can, they stay at those levels and can earn a lot more per hour. They don't, you know, they lose twenty percent of their bank roll. They step back down and they start grinding it back up, but they're at the regular stakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was starting out, I knew one blackjack player in particular who had a ten thousand dollars bank roll and he was out betting two hands of five hundred and I thought he was absolutely insane. But you know, he happened to run well, and he ran it up to one hundred K. And and I don't know, I mean, he didn't have a job at the time. You know, that was what he was planning to do. But you know, I guess in retrospect, well, yeah, if he lost it, well he could go back and get a job and build up a bankroll and start over. But it was certainly more risk than I was willing to take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I when I talked a similar point in my video poker classes, I would make the point that when you're twenty five and you'd go broke, it's not a good thing. But when you're seventy and go broke as a disaster, And so when you're starting out you have so many more options of ways to get the money back, and when you're seventy, your best money making options are over. So I did it in terms of age rather than wealth, But it's a simil principle, I think.
Speaker 3: Well, I think also about when you're twenty five, or when I was twenty five, my lifestyle was pretty spartan. I would never stay in a motel better than Motel six or whatever was the cheapest possible thing I could find.
Speaker 2: But you know, you reach.
Speaker 3: A certain point in your life where I'm not going to stay in Motel six anymore, you know what I mean, Like you're used to more comforts as you get older and your bankroll grows, and so yeah, I totally agree with you that there's a big difference going growth later.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. And you know when I was in my twenties, I stayed at Motel five and a half. I mean I couldn't emplord Motel six. So I know where you're coming from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, when you were in sports betting, you developed a theory of increasing expected growth as a better theory then increasing expected value. So how did that work in sports and does that go well with investing in other things?
Speaker 1: Well, in sports, really, you know your end goal is to increase the size of your bank roll, and the first step to doing that is finding positive expected value opportunities that are going to lead to winning more in the long term than you lose. But that the expected value of a bet or a play doesn't take into account the level of risk you have to endure. That's why there is such a thing as the Kelly criterion. Cally criterion says, Okay, if you have positive expected value, here's the optimal amount to stake on that bet, maybe one percent, three percent, five percent of your bank roll. But why is there an optimal amount? Why isn't ten percent of your bankroll better? A twenty percent of your bankroll better? Well, in terms of expected value, the most expected value you're going to get in terms of absolute dollars is if you find a big edge, you put one hundred percent of your bank roll on it, and that's the most expected value you can get. And obviously it only takes or one or two times or one time losing with one hundred percent of your bankroll on a play that you go bust and then you can't take advantage of any more plus EV opportunities. So the idea that you want to increase your expected bank roll actually takes into account the amount of risk that you're taking and balances it with the positive ev that you can get based on your edge. The same I didn't know it at the time when I first started looking into it, but the same principle exists in investing. It just goes by a different name called risk adjusted returns. So you can expect to get a certain return from like a mutual fund, a stock mutual fund, and say it's ten percent a year is your expected return. If that's coming from a stock mutual fund that it mostly has, you know, very large cap stocks and it doesn't move around very much from year to year, that may be a very good investment to put a lot of money in. Whereas another fund that also has ten percent expected returns per year but uses you know, micro like penny stocks that have huge volatility from year to year, that may not be a very good investment because you're not getting any more return for the risks that you have to bear. And it's really when you do the math. The math is identical in both situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that. You know, the thing that people miss about Bett and Kelly is the variance part of the equation. Right, there's a big difference between if you're playing blackjack with a one percent edge, but your variance is only one point one. That's a big difference than having a one percent edge on a slot machine, where your variance might be you know, two hundred or something.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, yes, that's really the key point is that you have to account for both, and the variance is going to hurt just about everybody. It's going there's gonna be one person that's really lucky. You know, you find one hundred people playing the slot machines, and one of them is going to be really lucky and take home a huge payday. The other ninety nine are not, And so if you're not the luckiest of the bunch, the variance is going to hurt you a lot more than it helps.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing about Kelly and sports betting is if you can if you're if your formula says you should bet, however many dollars, you often can't get that many dollars down. You might be limited by by either the book's that big, or they can limit you personally to you can bet any amount you want up to ninety nine cents.
Speaker 3: Does that get I remember when Elihu was on the show and he said, at some point, Kelly just doesn't matter anymore because, basically because of the limits, once your bank roll is big enough, you you could never bet as much as you wanted because the sports books just won't take it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's very true. And you know that most of the recreational sports books do a pretty good job of figuring out who's sharp and who's not and limiting them specifically, like Bob was talking about. But even beyond that, you know that they have limits that everybody has to adhere to. They're just not willing to take whatever you want to plunk down. So that is a big factor. And when you get to the point where you have a very large bank roll, then Kelly doesn't really come into play because you're just not able to get down as much as you want. But it's very interesting when I've watched or listened to a lot of professional sports betters talk about how they got their start and what they do now. A lot of them get their start by doing arbitrage betting or middling where you'll bet on both sides of the game at different spreads, and if the spread, if the game difference falls just right, you win both bets. But most of the time you win one, you lose one. That's how they got their start, and those are much lower risk type of plays than just betting on positive ev bets. And they built up their bank rolls that way, and then when their bank rolls got to be so big that they couldn't get down as much as they wanted to anymore, the light bulb went off and they said, Hey, why am I arbitrage betting when I've got value on one side and I'm losing value on the other side. Why don't I just bet the side that only has value. Well, that's exactly the point in time when you should make that switch, when you can't get that as much as you want to anymore, So you just bet the value side. You don't have to worry about Kelly criterion because you're never going to get that much down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So arbing is a form of hedging your bets. Are there in the financial markets or is it right to headge your bets?
Speaker 1: Sometimes it certainly is, But it's a lot harder to do. You know, back in like the sixties and the seventies, and people like Ed Thorpe were starting with hedge funds. That's what they did is they would find mispriced options and they would load up on them, and then to reduce their risk, they would either buy or short sell the underlying stock, figuring that that was a pretty efficient market. They might lose a tiny little bit of value on the stock side, but they would make a ton of value on the option side, and the risk would even out. And that was very successful for a while until in the nineteen seventies the Black Shoals formula got published and then everybody could figure out how to value options correctly, and that became much harder to do. So it's actually a lot easier to do a true arbitrage in sports betting than it is in investing, because in investing, you know, when you go to buy a particular stock, there's only one place to buy it, right it's either listed on the New York socc Exchange or on the Nasdaq. And in sports betting there's so many different books to choose from, so you can can often find odds of one book that are really good on team A. Another book, they're really good on team B, and then you can form an arbitrage that way.
Speaker 3: So the one thing that seemed to be not talked about much was the whole tax implications of you know, when you talked about rebalancing your portfolio, Well, there's a huge cost if you're in a regular brokerage account. There's a huge cost to rebalancing if you have a gain on something that you now want to take your position down to a lower amount.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're absolutely right, And you know, I'm not a tax professional, so I steered clear of trying to give any sort of tax advice in the book. But you're absolutely right, and that type of technique is going to work much better in a tax advantage account like an IRA or a four oh one K, as long as you don't have any you know, high transaction costs in those. And it's the kind of thing that could also work in an ETF. They're they're already loads of ETFs that are set up to do you know, two times leverage or three times leverage of some sort of index like the either the Nasdaq or the S and P five hundred, or even of individual stocks and they're trading every single day in order to reset that leverage because you know, the as the stock or the or the index goes up and down, the amount that they need to hold of the underlying stocks versus the swaps that they use to get the leverage changes every day, so they have to reapback balance every day. Now, they're not turning over the whole portfolio, they're only trading a little bit, but they're doing it every day. And the type of rebalancing that I was modeling is the same sort of thing where you're not turning over the entire portfolio. We're trading a little bit every day to essentially adjust the leverage that you have based on the market conditions.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was faced with this situation a couple of months ago where I had, you know, a bunch of silver which had exploded, and because some of it was in a broker not a taxible brokerage account, you know, I, you know, I wanted to rebalance, but I was not willing to pay the capital gains tax to do it. And you know, I knew that I could buy puts, which is basically an option that is like a beat that silver will go down, but if I do that and I'm correct, well then I have to pay the tax on the put, which is now a short term capital gain, which is even worse. Right, So yeah, it's it's it's very difficult to do those things in taxable accounts, which so basically, you know, I followed ed Thorpe and Wren Buffett's advice to you know, just buy the index and let it sit there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for taxable accounts, you absolutely have to take that into account. And and and when you're doing it yourself like that, passive investing has a lot of advantages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in your earlier writings on sports betting, you used a route unit staking system.
Speaker 1: So what is that?
Speaker 2: And does that have an analog in the investing in other things world?
Speaker 1: So that's a staking system where you decide how much you're going to bet based on the difference in odds from basically an even money bet, and so you take the square root of that difference and you divide your bet by that amount. In other words, if you're if you're normally betting, say one hundred dollars at even money, and then you find a bet at plus four hundred, so it's four to one odds, you would divide your bet size by the square root of four, which is two, so you would bet fifty dollars on that. Conversely, if you're going to bet at something at minus four hundred, you would divide by the square root of one quarter, so dividing by a half, multiplying by two, you would bet two hundred dollars. And essentially the way it works is that if you're in a type of market where you have a pretty good idea of what your edge is at even money bets, but you're not sure how much the edge will change for bets at different odds, if you follow this system, you're essentially mimicking what the Kelly criteria would tell you to bet based on those odds, because normally you'll find a bigger edge at the plus money odds and a smaller edge for the minus money odds.
Speaker 3: You know, a mistake that I a lot of gamblers make, or people who are even our professional gamblers, is they do not want to lay a big price. They you know, they really hate the idea of, you know, laying eight to one on something because if I lose, I lose eight, but if I win, I only win one. But what they're forgetting is you're supposed to win seven out of eight times when you do that, So yes, you are losing the eight when you lose, but seven or eight times you're winning one. So yeah, it's just interesting that even people who are professionals who should understand these things, it's hard to not let your emotions take over with those decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is, because you know, our intuition gets built up from other experiences, and then it just feels wrong. It feels wrong to risk that much money, even though, like you said, you're going to win seven out of eight times. So occasionally you will lose and it will really hurt, but you know you're going to rebound because you know you keep doing it. You win seven out of eight times, and when you look at it from the lens of expected growth or risk adjusted returns, because those kind of vets have much lower risk, right, you're only going to lose one out of eight times. If you can get the same edge that you could add for an even money bet, those kind of minus eight hundred bets are way more valuable. You will build your bank roll much quicker with those kind of bets, and because of that, you usually don't see that big of an edge when it's at minus eight hundred. As a matter of fact, that you know, there's a certain limit to how big the edge could possibly be, right, because you could only you can only win one hundred percent of the time. You can't win more than more than that. But I actually did an article for Pinnacle a couple of months ago talking about that exact subject, where there was a betting service basically that kind of broke down the profit that they made on their sharp bets by what the odds were. They put them in certain groups, and they found that the vast majority of their profits came from betting these short odds bets, you know, like the equivalent of minus four hundreds five hundred type of odds, because they were able to find decent edges there and the risk was so low that you know, when you state them properly, you can make much more profit.
Speaker 3: Right. And the reason that the edge is there is because the public all wants to take the other side of that. They want to bet a little and win a lot, and it forces the price in that direction for the person taking the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I mean the book makers, you know, people think that a bookmaker wants to make the same amount of profit whether the favorite wins or the or the long shot the underdog wins. But that's not really true because they take a lot more liability on those long shots. When the long shots come in, you know, they're putting out an awful lot of cash because a lot of the public is on them rather than the favorite.
Speaker 2: So if the Raiders win the Super Bowl next year, the books are really going to take a bath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I'm sure and now the books are they're not quite as dumb as they look, you know, the even the soft.
Speaker 3: It depends on which one you're talking about.
Speaker 1: But they they build in what people call the favorite long shot bias, so that if if the Raiders have like azer point one percent chance of winning the Super Bowl next year, then you know, the fair odds would be a thousand to one, right, But they're only going to pay you like two hundred to one if the Raiders win, because they they they want to protect themselves from those you know, big outlays, and that gets baked into these these lines in a very consistent way. And people have been noticing this phenomenon for decades and they call it the favorite long shot bias. And one of the things that I looked at in my first book, which is but how Much did You Lose, is the fact that when you look at it in terms of expected value, it does look like a bias those bookman because they're asking for a lot more expected value from the better for these long shots than they are from the favorites. But if you look at it in terms of expected growth from the bookmaker's point of view, and you adjust for the risk that they're taking, it actually works out to be exactly the same for favorites and long shots, no matter how long the long shot is. So they're getting the same type of expected growth from a plus four hundred long shot and a plus one thousand long shot and a plus five thousand long shot because they keep shortening the pay the shortening the offered odds compared to what the true odds should be to keep that expected growth constant. And same thing with the favorites. They give you a smaller edge for a minus one thousand than they would for a minus two hundred, but the expected growth from their perspective winds up being the same.
Speaker 2: Now you've mentioned a few times that the big key in making your bets or investments is making sure you're the favorite, making sure you have the advantage. So the question becomes, how do you know if you have the advantage or not?
Speaker 1: That is a great question and sports betting, the best way to know whether you have the advantage is if you have closing line value, which means that when the bet change, when the odds on that bet right before the game starts are shorter than the odds that you betted at, and they're shorter by enough to overcome the big, then you can tell that, assuming that that closing line is accurate, that you've got the edge. Now the question is is the closing line accurate? Well, for highly liquid markets that get bet back and forth many, many times, there's tons of evidence to show that those closing lines on average are accurate because people model it and say, okay, what if I were to bet at the closing line without any margin, you know, take out the big, but I bet at that closing line, and I bet ten thousand times, I should expect to make exactly zero profit if those odds are accurate, and they run these models and analyzes and they come out making basically zero dollars. So in sports betting. That's a really really good indicator in investing, Like in the stock market, there is no indicator like that. If people could could find that kind of indicator for a stock market or other type of financial investing, that would be huge.
Speaker 3: Well, there is an indicator, right, I mean, over one hundred plus years, the stock market games. Right. The only question is if you're going to try to get on and off the bus that's going up the hill, and if you could do better than if you just stayed on the bus to start with and get to the top of the hill, right, I mean, so you have an edge. The question is could you have a bigger edge by somehow making specific picks or timing or things like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the key is that over the past hundred years, you know, the market has gone up. There's no reason to believe that over the next hundred years it won't. But that's that means if you own the whole market, spread out amongst thousands and thousands of stocks, like a lot of these index passive index funds will do for you, then you have an edge. But some people aren't satisfied with that. They want a bigger edge, and they spend a lot of time trying to figure out which stocks are going to go up and which stocks are going to go down. And maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong, but the academic research all says that the majority of them are wrong more than they're right, and the ones that are right more than they're wrong change every year, right, Like, maybe your picks will work this year, and Bob's picks will work next year, and my picks will work the year after that, but by then your picks have now gone bad when my picks are going good. So and you had fees on top of that for investment managers who are trying these techniques, and there's really ends up being no more edge. The edge, whatever little edge there is gets eaten up by the fees for the managers and does not usually make it down to the actual investors. So that's what I mean. There's no indicator for the whole market. Yeah, there's an indicator if you want to pick like Microsoft and say, oh, you know, I'm confident that Microsoft is undervalued and I'm going to buy them, and in ten years, you know, I'll make ten percent a year. Well maybe you will, maybe you won't, but ten years isn't even close to long enough to figure out whether you really did have an edge when you bought it, because there's so much noise in the price of these stocks over time that you know. It's like it's like making, you know, twenty bets at the blackjack table and saying, oh, well, I'm up one hundred dollars, I must have an edge. Right, That's not how it works.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to when we were talking about beating the closing line value. It sounded to me, I'm not a sports better, but it sounded to me like when the line closes, you're going to know whether or not you had this edge. But assuming you make your line, you make your bets before the line closes, then you're not going to know if you have the advantage or not until sometime later. So if you don't know if you have the advantage or not until sometime later, it seems difficult to figure out whether you should bet or not or how much because you don't know what you're edged.
Speaker 1: Yep, you're absolutely right. It is difficult to figure that out. There's basically two techniques that get used commonly to figure that out, or at least approximated as best you can. One is called bottom up technique, where basically you handicap the game. You take into account all the factors that you think are going to affect the correct odds or the correct spread, and if the odds or the spread that the sportsbooks are offering is is better than what you predict, you make the bet. Now, you don't know if that stingle bet is going to have an edge when you make it, Like you said, you don't know until the line closes. But if you keep track of them and over the course of six months, you know you get closing line value on eighty to eighty five percent of your bets, then probably what you're doing is working and you can kind of gauge how big that edge is based on that track record. The other way to do it is called top down betting, where you basically look at the market as a whole and you monitor what kind of odds are being offered, and particularly pay attention to the sharp sports books and when they change their line and there's a reasonable limit that they're offering at the time, that basically indicates that somebody sharp has bet on that site they moved the line in response to that, and so like if they were offering plus one fifty on a baseball money line, and they moved down the plus one twenty, and you look around and some of the other sportsbooks still have plus one fifty. That's a pretty good indication that the plus one fifty is a good value bet and you should go bet it there. And typically you got to do it quickly because it's not going to last. They're going to start taking bets at plus one fifty and then they're going to move their line. So it's always a race when you're doing top down betting, but it is a very effective way to do it.
Speaker 3: But it's also a way to get your accounts limited severely, very quickly, because they know that that's what you're doing. The other problem, though, with the bottom up is you know you could build a model and be making good bets and do well this season, and next season your edge may not may be gone and you don't know it because things have changed, and you know, you can end up losing a bunch of money while you're realizing that, oh, looks like my edge is gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a big risk, and a lot of these kind of handicappers or modelers experienced that, and you know, if you can trust the closing line. It's going to be a help. But even still, your your edge can disappear and you don't know it, and that's a that's a big problem.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Thanks Dan, this has been great enjoyed talking about it. I hope you do well with the book. I have one question before before we go. Favorite restaurant in Las Vegas that's not in a casino.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I should have prepared for this. It's been to warn you. You should have. Yeah. God, it's been a long time since I've been in Las Vegas, but there was a rom and place that I went to with a friend of mine the last time I was there, and I don't know. I'll have to get back to you on the name.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're not coming out for the World Series this year?
Speaker 1: No, No, it's it's it's too much of a hurdle to play those events, even the smaller events. They're like a three day event, and so if you're going to make any money at it, you've got to be prepared to play, you know, twelve hours a day for three days straight. Those days are behind me.
Speaker 2: And my last question before we go is who is the intended audience for your book.
Speaker 1: Well, the first book was really meant for sharp sports betters specifically, or people trying to become sharp sports betters, to give them kind of guidance as to what was important and how to accelerate their bankroll growth. The new book, Sharp Money, is really for anybody interested in investing, and you know their statistic to say, at least, you know, sixty percent of Americans have some sort of retirement account which is going to be invested in something. So you've got to figure out what are you going to invest it in and how are you going to evaluate whether that's a good investment. And you know, part of the book is about how to kind of rebalance your portfolio to optimize it. But a lot of the subjects in there talk about things like the correlation between different assets and get it make sure, making sure that you get enough return for the risks that you have to bear, and being able to evaluate that stuff. So people don't just you know, look at the you know, a spreadsheet of what the expected what the trailing returns are different investments and say, okay, well this one had did fifteen percent last year and this one did eight percent last year, So I'm going to put all my money in the fifteen percent one, because that's got to be the best one, you know. Spoiler alert, that's not necessarily the best one. Do you plan a third book? I'm all in it over. We'll see, we'll see how how I recovered from this one.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good. As long as you can there sell it to sixty percent of the population, that's that's done. Pretty good.
Speaker 1: There you go, Yes, son, audience is a much bigger.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming. We appreciate your time. Oh wait, sorry, there's one last thing.
Speaker 1: You scared me.
Speaker 2: When I first got your your book, I got a review copy and it said, if you share this review copy with anybody, you're never going to hit another royal flush in your life. Now, I'm a video poker player, and that was that really would hurt me to the core to have no more royal flushes. So that scared me, honest on your thing. So I just want to know that you're scared at least one person.
Speaker 1: With that line. That was special for you.
Speaker 2: Bob Ah very good.
Speaker 1: I do feel special.
Speaker 2: So thank you for being here. Thank you Richard. Go out and hit lots of royal flushes everybody. Good day.
Speaker 1: Free audio post production Biophonic dot com