Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r H. Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 2: Show crazy here Trim just watch him as many.
Speaker 1: Good pace to sup botas quick.
Speaker 2: Gas not a sound class gas the sun beamon of between.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do this show. Welcome to Garden Line, folks. I'm on my second cup of coffee, so I'm gonna be slightly coherent, slightly I want to overdo it. We're to answer gardening questions today or just to talk about gardening, whichever you prefer. All you gotta do is me call seven to one three two and two k t r H seven one three two and two kt ore h, and we will visit with you about the things that are most of interest to you. Let's see what was I Oh, I had a few things I wanted to discuss this morning. One of them is herbs. There are a lot of people that really are into growing herbs. I mean that is like, well, any kind of plant has its little group that are crazy about that group. You know, there's people that are all into orchids, or people that are all into plumerias or all into vegetables or whatever. Herbs are a good group to grow that. I think more people ought to grow. And the reason I say that is they're easy, really easy to grow. Most of the herbs that we would plant here just do super super well. Or rosemary about as drought tolerant as any shrub you're going to get. It grows very well here. It looks good in a container. It looks good in the ground if you got it spilling over the side of a pot, or or maybe you have a landscape structure where you've got like a rock wall or something and the rosemary can kind of tumble down that the trailing tops of rosemary do good with that. Basil is easy to grow. Good Night basil? Who doesn't like pesto? Right, So there's lots of kind of basils, Lemon basil and the standard Genobeese, the standard type we would make the pesto out of. There's a holy basil. There is a tie basil. I like the African blue basil because I don't use it as much culinarily you can, but I prefer the standard pesto types of basil. But the African blue is unbelievable for pollinators. If you want to see what pollinators are around, I don't mean just honey bees and bumble bees. There's a lot of kinds of pollinators. They love that plant. They do really well. Chives are easy to grow, and chives are cool. You just take your scissors out there, you're making some scrambled eggs, cut a few chive leaves off, chop them up, drop them in there, and you're on your way. Herbs are just easy, and you don't have to have an herb garden. You can make one of those beautiful you know, Louis the fourteenth all geometrically pretty circular, looks like a wagon wheel. Whatever design you want of an herb garden, or you can just include herbs around the landscape. So I think we got to grow more herbs. We got some great independent garden centers that have selections of herbs that are outstanding around the Greater Houston area. And again, herbs are easy, and I just enjoy some of the herbs. I just enjoy smelling them.
Speaker 4: We have.
Speaker 3: I think my wife has three types of time in her in her flower beds. In the times just spilling over the side, as is the oregano, and just every time I walk by, I've got to rub it and smell it because it smells so good. But anyway, think about that. I just put in some here. I guess I hope this would fall in the herb category, at least for me. Pineapple sage. It's a type of salvia. It has red tubular blooms typically late in the season, late summer early fall, because it's triggered by the shortening day length to bloom. So hummingbirds like it when they're passing through. But the leaves smell like pineapple. It's really nice. There's lemon scented herbs, all kinds. So anyway, think about that. Maybe add an herber to your landscape and use your imagination. Like I said, in a flower beds, we've got three different kinds of herbs just growing because they're pretty and they're nice and they cascade over the sides. You're listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to help you have success in your garden. Gardening is a lot of fun, and or at least it should be, and we can find ways to make it more fun. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of a mental reset, but usually it just takes a little bit of good information so that you plant plants that want to grow at your place, and you have the soil prepared so they're happy to grow at your place. And after that it's just set back and enjoy in the lawns. Boy, I got some pictures yesterday of gray leaf spot. Gray leaf spot is it's here. This is its favorite time of the year, early summer. When things begin to cool off, excuse me, begin to heat up. Let's put it correctly, gray leaf spot starts to show up. It loves moisture, so getting a lot of rain has helped it in some areas this summer. Also, that sprinkler system that comes on and what's the ground every other year I was talking to about yesterday that there's sprinkler's coming on three times a week. There's no reason you need to water your lawn three times a week unless it's a brand new lawn. You know, you're just kind of getting into about the third week of establishing a brand new lawn. Our lawns can do fine with much less than that. If you look up my lawn care schedule, it's actually the lawn pest, Disease and Weed Management schedule. It is on my website Gardening with Skip dot com. That schedule says that starting about mid aprilish and going through mid to late July is big time gray leaf spot season. That's when we watch for it, and it can occur at other times, but this is when we see it at its worst. And the pictures I saw yesterday, I think it was about the worst gray leaf spot I've ever seen. It was. It was to a point where if you stood at the street, you could look at the lawn and go, wow, what's wrong there? It was significant. Usually gray leaf spots kind of cosmetic and we don't we generally, I don't generally spray for it, but you can and if you're going to do that, night Foss has a product called Eagle fung a side. Eagle Fungicide is good for a number of different things. If you've got you know you're dealing with large patch or take all root rot or gray leaf spot and some other rizac Tonia summer patches, it's a good one for that. You can find night Foss products in many places Bearings Hardware on Bissinet and as well as the one on West Timer we'll carry night Foss products and Jennie Forest down there in the Richmond Rosenberg area. We'll also carry the nitrofoss products. So you might just just check out that if you feel like you want to do a spray to control things like the leaf spot, it's an excellent choice for doing that very much. So I'll tell you what, let's take a break. I'm gonna go just a bit early to break here, and I will be right back with your calls. All right, folks, welcome back, Welcome back to the garden line. Good to have you with us. Boy, yesterday I was talking about something going on at Warren Southern Gardens and I actually had to bring in somebody from Warrens to clarify and make sure that it was true. And here's what it is. It is a mega sale out there Warren Southern Garden in Kingwood, Texas. Twenty percent off purchases of one hundred dollars or more. So you buy one hundred dollars, you pay eighty get the idea. Now here's the deal for those of you who want to do a major renovation around your property. I'm talking about. Maybe you want metal art, Maybe you want a bunch of really nice pottery of all kinds. You know, the beautiful, gorgeous glaze pottery you're looking for trees, you're looking for shrubs, you're wanting to put in roses and all other kinds of perennials and plants, and you need some fertilizers and soil products. And you get the idea. I mean, I'm talking about a big deal for purchases of three thousand or more. That's forty percent off. So think about this. You ring up three thousand dollars, you pay eighteen hundred, you get the idea. That's the minimum level there, that's right at three thousand. And now, I know three thousands a lot, but if you're going to be doing a big renovation, is not a lot, in fact, But you're not going to find a better chance to do it then right now. And it's at Warns. It's this month for the rest of the month. Started yesterday, you go through the end of the month May thirty first. But for those of you that are considering it, here's a chance to really get a good deal. And if you've been to Warrens before, in fact, just go out there and check it out. But walk around and look at it. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous place, stock with all kinds of things. And I'm telling you, well, you. This is your public service announcement. Go check it out. It's good. Say hey to miss d if she's out there when you're there. She does custom potting jobs where you know, they put together different kinds of combo containers for businesses, for homes or you know, hanging baskets and all kinds of things. Really nice. I didn't war in southern guarden. Anyway, there was your There was your official announcement for those of you who are looking to do something major. All right, let's head out to southwest Houston. Now we're going to go and talk to Wayne. Hello, Wayne, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much. Skip.
Speaker 5: First of all, I won't say I am slowly now at your level of knowledge of gardening, it's just amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, Wayne, I make everything up. So I'm glad I convinced you.
Speaker 1: Just kid, very good. I have something for you.
Speaker 5: Not long ago, I planted a rose, and I also put a row of landscape bricks around it, maybe about fourteen inches out from the base of the rolls. And then I went back to resetting the bricks, and as I moved them, I noticed a colony of ants right up under the bricks.
Speaker 3: So do you know if they were fire ants or just don't know for sure what kind?
Speaker 1: Well, tiny ants.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, most answer are not a problem. There's a couple of ants that we don't want to have around. One of them is the carpenter ant that choose into wood and does structural damage to wood. The other is fire ants did bite us. But all the other ants are out there just contributing kind of the balance and things of nature. They're not eating our plants, they're not biting us, and so you know, if it's not fire ants, I wouldn't worry about it. I just know that they're they're doing what they do.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: A lot of insecticides will kill ants. I mean, you can use all kinds. If it were fire ants, I would suggest you get a bait and just sprinkle it all around. There are organic baits and they're synthetic baits, and you can take care of them best that way. But any kind of an insecticide will kill ants. We just when we have colonies sometimes you know, you kill a bunch of them that you see you're not actually getting to the queen and the rest of the colony.
Speaker 5: Okay, But overall, they're not anything to be openly concerned. Okay, Now there are hundreds of species of ants running and running around there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: What about also just yesterday plant, I mean you put a row of landscape uh bricks close to the house. So do I need to be concerned about ant allonis in there?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Ant? So you know, they they usually live or living underground and are near the surface and the mulch and in other things, and so don't worry about that. It's just not not anything you need to worry about that. That's that one is no sweat.
Speaker 5: Okay, one more thing about ants opting in this house there some years and every year they want to migrate into the kitchen and I have to you know, hot.
Speaker 1: Stuff to tear from them, but.
Speaker 5: They go away, but then they will come back. I happen to leave something out from time to time, you know, on a regular basis.
Speaker 1: Any comment on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a there. There's some different kinds of ants that that we see a lot inside, you know, farroh ants and others can come inside. And like I said, literally there are like hundreds of species and you look at them and they all look like ants. But there's there's a lot of different kinds, so different ants want to eat different things. Some go after sugary substances, some go after oils and proteins. So fire ants are after oils and proteins, that's what they like. So the baits for fire ants are put on an oil or a protein base, those little granules. There are little stations you can buy. The ones I've seen look like little black squares that ants can go in the holes and inside there is the bait for them. Depending on the kind of ant you have, you would get a different bait, so you may have to kind of try one and then try another and see. But they work pretty good, and you just set them on the counter wherever the ants are coming from. Typically, you know, if you got a little tiny crack in the let's say you had tile on the backsplash of your counter and there's a little piece where the crowd is out of it, and the ants are coming in and out of there. Maybe they're coming up from under the cabinet, or if you can put it kind of close to where you think they're coming from, that does a little better job. But they'll find it, and that's the best way. Other than that you're ending up spraying, and then you're putting the pesticides on indoor surfaces and things which you generally would try to avoid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly what was happening. There was a crack in the grout and they were just and right on the other side of the well, outside their little planner and they were just coming up right through the what happened. They are pretty amazing, and they find.
Speaker 3: They are pretty amazing. Yeah, they are. And you know, if it's just one little spot they're coming in, we can take a little cock and just dab it right on there and close the door. But they'll probably find another way in.
Speaker 5: So exactly exactly, okay, all right, I'll just have to deal with it, okay, skip.
Speaker 3: Thanks all right, Yeah, thanks for the call. Appreciate that. Good to talk to you. All Right, there we go, we are. Let's see here. Let me give you a phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t R h uh. Microlife fertilizers have been around for a long time. In fact, they've been around over thirty five years here in the Greater Houston area. The number one selling organic fertilizer in Houston is Microlife six two six six two four. It is a green bag, easy to see green bag Microlife sixty four. It's not going to burn your lawn or other plants. It's not a salt based fertilizer. It's an organic fertilizer. Put it on the soil. Microbes get a hold of it. They take all the nutrients and are in it, and turn it loose into the soil, which is what microbes do every day, and they then release it to the plants. That's how that works. It's good for anything on a floor you're going to put it on, I mean turf grass, as alias, flowers, vegetables, tree shrubs, roses, you know, use it in containers if you want. Now Microlife has products for other things. You know, there is a product for acid loving plants. I was just looking at some the other day yesterday as a matter of fact, that an ace hardware store Langham Creek Case over there on Barker Cypress by Copperfield, and we were talking about some of the fertilizers and they have the azalea the kind of a it's kind of a reddish bag, a reddish pink if I'm describing that right. Bag for the acid living plant. You can use this specifics, no problem with that. But the green bag can be used for anything. Really, it's a very good fertilizer. Typically we use it for our lawn. It's got more minerals than you can imagine, over one hundred different minerals in it. Doesn't contain any manures, lots of beneficial microbes in it. Microbes rule the world. Microbes are what makes plant, what make plants happy out there in nature. They do it all. I should drone on for an hour sometime on microbes because there it is unbelievable what all they do for our plants and for us too. By the way, now you're going to find Microlife sixty four by bags, you know for lawn fertilizing, or you can find it in the jugs, a large clear plastic jug with a big fat lid on top. I had many independent garden centers, speed stores, Southwest Fertilizer, ace hardware stores. These are, you know, Microlife's easy to find. You can go to microlifefertilizer dot com find the fullest of retailers. And while you're there, though, look at the other products. You know, I could spend a whole show just talking about each of the micro life products. There's that many of them and they work. I know that because I've used them and I still do. You're listening to Gardenline. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. So we're entering summer, which means we're coming up into hurricane season here. And those of you who've been here very long, no, you know, it's a roll of the dice. You never know what kind of year it's going to be. But when hurricane comes through their issues, we lose power typically, uh And when that happens, you need to be ready for it. And you know, there's a lot of different ways to do that. You can buy a little gas power generator to sit outside and you have to go outside, but gas in it and fire it up and get it running and it'll it'll run a few things. You can run your freezer off a one or something like that. But Quality Home Products they sell a Generak automatic stand by generator that absolutely it takes care of everything for you. Now, the folks at Quality Home you can buy generators from a lot of places. Folks at Quality home. It's all about service, and I really mean that. You talk to them and you go, look, I need a generator, and they start asking questions. You know, well, do you just need to you know, get your freezer from going bad if you're gone when the power goes out, or do you want something that you can run your home as off of? And you know, they understand, They try to understand what do you need and then they fit you to the right generator and from there it's just beginning. That's when they begin to look at things like, okay, we've got the regulations, the permits and things. They handle all that for you. You got to get a slab. They don't bring a little cheap slab and drop it on the ground. They pour a slab that is thick and your lawnmower is kno going to knock out of the way. I'm telling you, they do everything right. And after you have the generator and they walk away, I'll say it again, it's just beginning. Three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four hours a day, their customer service never stops. You can go to QUALITYTX dot com or give them a call seven one three Quality talk to them find out that find out about these just look into this. It takes a while for the whole process of getting a generator, so don't delay. But I'll tell you this, I would never consider buying a generator from a different place because I've seen the service. I've looked at the reviews, I've looked at the awards that they win, and I've talked to people, and this is the company. It's not just the product you're buying. Although Generatic Automats and by Generator is a good generator, it's the service. It's the company that's what this is about. With quality home. Alrighty, where are we here, I'm gonna take a little break. I'm flying this morning. I'm gonna take a little break here in a minute. When when I come back from break, Jim in a task, Asida and Terry out there in Splendora. We're gonna come to you first. For the rest of you, if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kat r H seven one three two one two kt r H. I will let's see here. Also as we get back, I want to discuss a little bit about some fruit trees that don't need spraying, So much. Uh, don't let me forget that. Somebody may have to call and remind me of We'll be right back, all right, Welcome back to garden Line folks. Good to have you with us. I wanted to say a few things about in Channa Gardens. I talk about them all the time, but in Chenna Gardens is out there in Richmond Rosenberg. In fact, it's on the Katie Fullsher side of Richmond. You just get out there to FM three fifty nine and that's where it's located. It's been around since nineteen ninety five. You know, the Lenderman family has been part of that community for a long time, taking care of people with really quality plants and quality service. That's the bottom line. Now. I like going out there because it's just an unforgettable experience. You pull up, you get out of the car, and you look around and you go where do I again? Because it's a very nice expanse of all kinds of cool things. Anyone can find stuff they're interested in out there, from little Ferry gardens all the way out to beautiful rose bushes and fruit trees and certainly hanging baskets and containers and you name it. It's an unmatched selection of plants and the knowledge that they have their team as enthusiastic as they come. Really you can bring photos and samples in to get some help with that find out what you need to do. Or you can just walk out and ask questions about you know, I got this area, and you describe it and they'll show you a whole bunch of plant ideas that would do really really well here. They know what they're talking about. That's important. While you're there, you can grab the fertilizers you hear me talk about from Microlife and nitrofoss and Nelson plant Food and Mendina. You can get soils from Nature's way in airloom soils out there at in Chenna Gardens FM three fifty nine. Katie fullsher Cider, Richmond, Enchented Gardens, Richmond dot com, Enchenda Gardens, Richmond dot com. Let's go out now to a test asita and we're going to talk to Jim. Morning.
Speaker 6: Jim, good morning, sir, and thank you so much for taking my call the question this morning. I actually have two questions. One, you talk about watering and you have mentioned it's better to deep water than just lightwater several times.
Speaker 3: Correct, yes, correct?
Speaker 6: Okay. Now when you say deep water, now, once you do that, that means you do it less time.
Speaker 3: Correct, right, okay, correct, Okay.
Speaker 6: So let's go to the sprinkler system. So on your lawn do you recommend Now, this is Saint Augustine. I'm over here in a task Gasita. You know kind of dirt we've got. Basically, how long do you want us to run the water for and how many times a week?
Speaker 3: What you need to do, Jim, is you need to put something out there to measure irrigation. It could be a rain gauge set in the lawn. It could be a straight sided container like an empty into being can or something. And you need to turn your system on for about twenty minutes and then look at how much water you catch. So if you multiply that times three, that's how much you put out in an hour, and you want to apply about it at least a half inch of water and better an inch of water when you water. That's what I so deeply and thoroughly, and then you don't need a water for a long time, a good while, many days before you have to come back and do it again. So that's how you go about knowing how long to run it. Now you may have to run it for a while, have it go off and set for forty five minutes, and come back on again. Because generally you cannot put an inch of water on the ground at one time in many of the soil types we have here.
Speaker 6: So you do want us to put at least one inch of water on the ground. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, And I would I would just say a half inch to an inch, not don't go over it, that's unnecessary, okay, half all right?
Speaker 6: Now the second part is, I don't know if you remember. I just did all my beds in the front of the house and I put organic molts down. Okay, Now I want to put bark on top of that. A lot of people put bark just for a decorative color, but I want a useful bark. I want to bark that's going to hold the moisture in. What do you recommend I get that's a functional bark.
Speaker 3: For functional bark, I like just a shredded hardwood bark, double ground. It could be a bark that's been partially composted h and it locks together. It's kind of it's got a curvy, jagged way that it just sort of holds together really well, unlike like a pine bark, which is more rounded and smoother. But anyway, any bark, any bark, will do whichever kind you like the looks.
Speaker 6: Of well, I'm trying to get functionality on it, not just look. Yeah, thank you sir.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, no, I would do a good shredded bark, and then I think you'll do well with that. Hey, thanks for the call though, Jim appreciate it.
Speaker 6: You take care, thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: All righty well, Southwest Fertilizer has been around since nineteen fifty five. I'm the fifth garden Line host, the fifth garden Line host. This goes back to before garden Line was garden Line to talk about Southwest Fertilizer. Because listen, when you last for seventy years, you're doing things right. You're taking care of people. They want to come back because they don't go in and you go, well, we ain't got that, and what about this, Well we don't have any of that either, or maybe it'll come next week. They carry everything they If they don't have it, you don't need it. That's way I like to put it. So whether it's fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, organic synthetic tools, everything and expert advice. You can bring a sample in there, let them, as we say, get the pair of eyes on it. Bob Patterson and his team will look at it and they'll make sure you get the right products. You're not wasting your time and money. You're going to get friendly service, quality products and unbelievable unmatched selection. Corner of Bissinet and Runwick. Southwest Fertilizer, for example, they carry the Sweet Green, which is Nitroposs's organic type product. It is a eleven percent nitrogen. Bob carries it there at Southwest. The Sweet Green is really a unique product. Number one, it smells good. Number two, it's got a high level of nitrogen in it. You only need about ten pounds per thousand square feet when you're using Sweet Green, and it works well. It dissolves into the soil. Microbes gets really excited because it's high carbon product, and that's what microbes want is carbon. Can you find Sweet Green a lot of places like night FoST products, but the Sweet Green could be used repeatedly through the summer and small doses. It's not a slow release, but It is an excellent product for getting a pretty good quick green up and for doing so in a way that it just makes sense. I have found it to be excellent. In fact, I got a bag right now that I'm about to put out in a second fertilization that I'm doing this summer, and Sweet Green is the product. I'll set out to Splendora and talk to Terry. Hey, Terry, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 1: Thank you, good morning. I have a couple of questions.
Speaker 7: We purchased a property right behind our house and we've cleared out all the underbrush and it has quite a few mature trees where it creates a pretty good canopy with minimal sunlight, honestly, and I would like to keep those trees, but I would also like to get some groundcover of some sort going particularly right around the tree. He's kind of as like dressing around him, like shrub type things.
Speaker 1: I was wondering what would be best in like low light.
Speaker 3: That Okay, this is is this a large, large area where you're gonna be planting a lot of it or is just not.
Speaker 7: Well, it's about two and a half acres and there's groups of trees that I would like to decorate around several of them.
Speaker 3: You know. Usually for something like that, we would look to some different kinds of native plants. But when you get into a lot of shade, there's nothing that's real, really dense and beautiful, like something like a yopone, which would beautiful lot in the sun. When you get it in a lot of shade, it's it's not very dense, and so that wouldn't be as good of a choice. If it's an area you can water. There are a number of things that will put up with that kind of shade. I like a plant called leopard plant. It's also called tractor seed plant because it has big round leaves. It sort of looks like a tractor seat. Not quite that big, but very pretty. But you're gonna have to water it, and it'll put up with very deep shade. Uh if you give it some water to help sustain it. Otherwise, we probably ought to go back and look at some of the natives and just realize you're going to not quite have the density.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I like some of my neighbors they have I believe it's oleander planted around. Some of their trees are pretty big, like they encompass the whole trunk of.
Speaker 1: The tree area there as well.
Speaker 3: Or oh, now, I don't know what that is that your neighbors, but only ander needs sun, lots of sun, and so I wouldn't I wouldn't put it in too much shade. Uh that that would. But it's a good tough plant as far as you know, standing drought and whatnot, so that may be a benefit of it.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: There are some other Leopard plant is a plant that you can put out and it does pretty good. Uh. And and there's a bunch of natives, you know, the you're out in Splendora. If you were to Buchanna's native plants down in the heights, they specialize in natives and they would have a few ideas for some things that might do well there. There is a native plant called beauty berry American beauty berry. It's deciduous, but it grows in dry shade. And I mean you can water it too, but it's a good one to consider. I might talk to the folks of Buchanans and see what else they might have there. And then in Splendora, you're close to Nature's way resources and they have native plants and their nursery there. There where fourteen eighty eight comes into forty five, just south of Conro. You might try those places and get some more ideas of things that they carry. Okay, okay, thank you sir. You bet good luck with that. Appreciate that if you haven't been to Plants for all seasons. They're up on Tomboi Parkway high Way to forty nine. They've been around a long time since the nineteen seventies, and they are excellent because when you go in there, you find plants that want to grow here, and you find advice for people that have grown plants here for a very long time from people that have grown plants here for a very long time. They know what they're talking about, they absolutely do. And they just have excellent selection wonderful plants, beautiful plants for indoors, plants for outdoors, beautiful salvias. Right now, I got some gorgeous salvias in awesome succulents. Just their succulent collection is really really nice. And then of course flowers color, all kinds of perennials, all kinds of annuals, whatever you're looking for. They just got some sweet potatoes in. Recently, it is time to begin to get some sweet potatoes going very easy to grow, and you know, you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor as a result. I'm going to take a quick break here and I'll be back with your questions. All right, welcome back to Garden Lines. Glad to have you with us this morning. If you'd like to give me a call seven to one three two one two ktr H seven one three two un two kt r H. I talked earlier about storms and how they knock our power out. Affordable Tree Service is our go to here on guard Line for taking care of your trees, and that means a lot of things. That means making sure they're prune properly. That could be deep root feeding, it could be disease and pest control on your trees. Maybe you've got a beautiful tree and you're going to put in a sidewalk or driveway or an underground utility typeline you know, gas or electric or something or water rather u A. The Affordable Tree Service can come out and they can advise you on that so you don't make a mistake that does major damage to the most important plant, the most expensive plant in your landscape, and that is your tree. Now affordable tree Service Martin spoon More's company. This is a family business, so when you call them at seven one three six six sixty three, you're going to talk probably to Martin's mom. She's usually the one that answers a phone there. Tell her you heard about us on Guardline. Gardenline customers are their priority, so make sure and tell them that, uh seven one three six nine nine two six six three. They also are can do things like stump grinding. They can also come out and do consultations and things take care of your trees. They've been in the tree businesses family for over fifty four years. They know what they're doing and it's always a good time. If you have not had your trees trimmed or pruned or looked at in recent history, you definitely need to get somebody out there to do that. So when a storm comes there, as strong as they can be, no storm is going to take you know, two hundred and fifty mile an hour win or no tree turn fifty mile an hour wind just hammering it. But there's a lot you can do to minimize damage or to avoid damage in most cases, and it starts with proper pruning and proper pruning isn't just something you do to an old tree. It's something you do through the life of the tree. And so being trained properly, being guided into a long, strong structure, long living, strong structure is important and affordable tree service folks can do that for you. Seven to one three six ninety nine two six six three Spinking of trees. I have a couple of citrus trees that I planted this year out in the orchard. I call it the orchard. It's a little strip alongside the house. Got three fruit trees in it. But anyway, uh, in the orchard. The citrus trees I planted and then came out the next day and they were leaning at forty five degree angles because the wind blew through there. And you know, they are a little skinny trees, and the little steaks they came with weren't worth anything. So what did I do. I got a three sixty tree stabilizer and put one on each tree. Now that's a little device. It's a it's a plastic arm that is extremely strong and reinforced. One side goes onto a post. I had the little attachment so you can put it on t posts. They come with that and the other side has a loose strap that attaches to the tree. When you stake a tree, you don't need to go out and get wires and stake it down and have stuff to trip over. And you're putting like a piece of what garden hose over the wire so it doesn't cut into the branch of the tree. What you need is just a tree stabilizer. Now, have you got a lot of wind and a little bit you know, larger than my little citrus trees, Well, you could put two of them in kind of one north south, one east west, and then no matter which way the wind blows, you're covered on that. They really really work. And the one thing I like about them, in addition to the fact that they hold onto your tree well, is that the strap allows you to strap it in loosely so it can move. When plant tissues move, they get stronger. And here's an example. If you've got tomato seedlings that you're growing, you grow them inside and still air because you're starting them in the late winter for your spring crop, and they just get spindley. They have no strength to the stem. But if you'll take your hand and rub them over, those seedlings, I say pets. Your tomato plants, just rub your hand over them loosely to move them around. They get stronger. If you do that once or twice a day, you will have a much stronger plant because that movement creates strength in the tissues. Same thing for a steak tree. Movement makes the trunk stronger, and movement makes those roots at the base that are anchoring the trunk to provide stability stronger. So you want to set your tree stabilizers to allow a little bit of movement. That's very important. And of course tree stabilizers are perfect for that three sixty tree stabilizer. You're going to get them at Arborgate and find them a bit at a cenamultch down south of Buchan as Native plants in the Heights jorgesid and Gardens down in Alvin. Plants for all seasons on two forty nine and RCW Nursery where two forty nine comes into belt Wag eight easy to find. They are well built and they last a very long time. Have some on hand. You can even use them for those multi trunked crpe myrtles. They put one on one trunk, put one on another, maybe just to hold the overall plant in a good spot. I like it when people use their noggin. My dad used to say, use your head for something other than to hang your hat on. Thanks Dad. But when you use your noggin to come up with a device that's new that works, that's just a great win wind. That's a three sixty tree stabilizer is Nelson plant Food has a product called Hibiscus and Flowering Tropicals. It's in the nutri Star line. So if I can just kind of the real quick version over Nelson. Nelson's got the turf Star line, bags of stuff for your lawn. They have the color Star plant food, which is a wonderful plant food for all kinds of things that bloom. And then they have the nutri Star line and Nutristar has there's a Nutril Star for plumerias, the nutri Star for vegetables, and you know for everything. Hibiscus and flowering tropicals. I don't care what kind of flowering tropical you have, what kind of flowering plant like that Nutral Star Hibiscus and Flowering Tropicals from Nelson. You need to try it. It works. The fertilizer last, you just put small amounts around the plants keep them blooming, and that's true of all the nutri star products from those All right, well, I hear music, which means I got to quit talking, and we're going to go to a little break. When we come back, you can be the first up this Sunday morning seven one three two one two k t R seven one three two one two kt r H. When I come back, I'll be discussing a few things that I think are timely for those of you who have lawns and gardens and trees. I still want to have that conversation about fruit trees that are less prone to disease issues. But we'll get that and when we come back. All right, folks, we're back. Welcome back to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. And what are we doing here, Well, we're here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. That's what we would love to happen, because gardening's supposed to be fun. You want to beautify your place just so you appreciate the look of it. You want to make your gardens more bountiful so you have more flowers. Maybe you want to cut flower garden. That's something we don't talk about much here that we can help you with that as well. Maybe you want vegetables and herbs, and you like things you can eat, like fruit trees for example. That's another good idea. We certainly can do that. Regarding fruit trees i mentioned, I want to talk about some that you don't spray so much. First of all, blueberries. Blueberries do not require a lot of sprays. That does not mean that there's no insects or diseases it can attack of blueberry. It just means that, unlike some plants probably on the spray end of the spectrum, or grapes and apples and peaches for example, those are three that you're gonna have hard time raising them without significant losses if you don't do some spray in here in our climate an area. But blueberries is not so much. Figs another one. Yes, they get some rust on the leaves and things, but in general figs don't require a lot of spraying. Per Simmons. Per Simmons is the Rodney Dangerfield of all the fruit. Y'all remember Rodney Dangerfield, the guy that couldn't get any respect, can't get any respect. Well, that's per simmons. It's a wonderful fruit. It tastes grayes like a bag full of yummy jelly or good ripe soft percentmon. They grow wild. We have wild per simmons here in the southeastern United States, including that's part of Texas, and you you just don't have to spray them. You just don't. You can raise those without sprays. Jujubis they have their own issues, but jujubis are not one that you're going to have to do a lot of spraying on. Another good one that you could grow. And there's some others. So if you're looking to have fruit but you don't want to have to do a lot of spraying, those are some ideas to kind of help you get off to a good start. Ace Hardware stores are the place to get everything you need for your lawn garden care, everything from houseplants to outdoor lawns, to trees, shrubs and vegetables and so on, rose bushes. Ace Hardware's got all the products for that, from fertilizers to pest control and disease control to weed control. We'd prevention, we'd killing existing weeds and then making outdoor areas so beautiful, so beautiful I was in an ACE story yesterday and looking at some of the different product lines, and I'm telling you that I was very impressed with the breadth of products that they had for covering a lot of different kinds of issues, including fertilizers and things that you hear me talk about. Here on guard Line, you can go to Acehardwaretexas dot com. Don't forget the Texas ACE Hardware Texas dot com that gives you the list of my area ACE Hardware stores here on guard line, and you can find one near you where you will go and see some really cool stuff. And I'll promise you this, when you go into ACE, You're going to see a number of things where you go, oh, I didn't expect that to be here, really cool stuff. We walked into the one yesterday. We're over at Langham Creek, and when we first walked in, just look off to the right and there's all these things for indoors, beautifying inside the home kitchen and all just lots of cool stuff. You look to the right and oh, there's the barbecue pits, and boy they're barbecue pits at ICE. You know they've got some specials going on still right now, in barbecue pits. And we're talking about name brands, you know, things like Big Green Egg and Trager and Rectech and Weber for Ale and all of the bling you need to go with them, all of the accessories and everything else. You're going to find it at your local ACE Hardware store. Just go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com and find your stores and there's gonna be more than one within a reasonable distance to you. That's what I love about ACE. It's all the options. All right, Let's go out to sugar Land now and we are going to visit with Debbie this morning. Hello Debbie, Hi.
Speaker 8: Good morning. Thank you for taking my call. Can you tell me what to do with the tree stump that has I think it's funcus little white things growing out of it. They're not mushrooms, but they're all over the base.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you want out of that tree stump? Do you want it gone? Do you want to decorate it? You know? What? What are you? What is your desires? Well?
Speaker 8: Gone would be good, but I have plants on top of it. Now that decorative.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, well gone would mean having somebody come out with a stump grinder. Affordable treat gets that as do others, and grinding the whole thing out. If you want to leave it for now as a place to set plants and maybe try to you know, do some decorating around it. You can put plants on the top that cascade over the sides. You can you can plant an ivy that mounds up over the top of it. I mean, there's different ways. If you want it to rot away faster, drilling holes down in it, big old half inch drill. Just go straight down as deep as you can with the drill and drill a whole bunch of holes in it. And you can put things like even just piling compost over it and then keeping it moist will really speed the Decay'd be like if you took a little piece of two by four and you put it underneath all your mulch against the soil where it was wet all the time, and you know, moist that tube before is going to rot pretty quick. You can make the stump rot faster that way. If you want to make the slower approach to getting rid of it, and all the major roots that come out at the surface, you know that flare out and go in all directions getting all that decayed. The more you cover it up with wet organic matter and soil, the faster it'll decompose.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, so are these things growing out of it fungus?
Speaker 3: Yes. The number one thing to decay wood is our fungi. You know, we got things like bacteria and actinomycets and all kinds of microbes that decay stuff in the soil. When it gets to wood, all that lignant. It's hard to Bacteria have trouble breaking that down. But fungi it's not a problem at all. So whenever you see white stuff in the mulch in your yard, or white stuff growing underneath a piece of wood land on the ground, that just means fungi or on the job and they're turning it back into soil.
Speaker 9: Oh okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, all right, bye bye. The folks at Medina have a lot of great products, and you know, I always kind of think, well, what is the product to tell you I talk about has to grow six twelve six plant food. I use it like as a transplant solution, but that's just one way you can use it. But I want to tell you about Medina Plus today Medina Plus is basically Medina Soil Activator plus over forty different trace elements. Lots of growth hormones are in there, and those nutrients, you know, the things like magnesium and iron and zinc, and then even vitamins and stuff are in that concoction. You're going to see benefits in many ways to your plants. You can use it as a drench, but I would use it as a fold of your feet as well. You can just pour it over or spray it on the foliage of plants, let it go down in the soil as well, doesn't matter what kind of planet it is. Medina Plus works and people that have used it and know that Medina Soil Activator has been around a long time and now they've just taken it up another level with the essential micronutrients and the hormones from seaweed extract to the Medina pross product that is outstanding. I need to take a little break here. We will be back with your calls in just a moment. Welcome back to garden Line. Good to be with you today. What do you want to talk about? You want to talk about vegetables or fruit or flowers or growing a cut flower garden. Maybe making sure your trees are the ones that want to grow here, you know, planting. What are the varieties of trees and the types of trees that do well here. We have a lot of options. I mean, we're fortunate in this area to have a lot of different options for trees. Just something to think about is back in the day, as we say, I don't know when the day was, but people say, back in the day, back in the day, our lots in the in towns were huge, you know, a third of an acre lot. I mean, there are big lots back in those time. There still are, but it was common and you could plant this giant, beautiful big tree and live oaks and all kinds of things that just spread out and it's all good. Now lots just keep getting smaller and smaller. You drive by neighborhoods where it looks like, you know what, I think he could reach out his window and close his neighbor's blinds from the house because they're so close together. And that kind of a lot. You need a smaller tree, and we have medium sized trees. We have small sized trees too, some that are very small. One of my favorite trees I've been saying that this spring is the Chinese fringe tree is at It grows at a moderate rate and it gets to a medium size medium to small, depending on what you call medium and what you call small. But we had one at the Bear Creek Extension Office before some floods took that away. At the tree I think is still there, it was probably twenty twenty five feet even tall it had gotten. It's pretty large for a Chinese fringe. But in blooms in the spring, with shaggy white blooms that are fragrant, honey fragrant, it is just nice. We've got crape myrtles like natches, which is a white blooming crpe myrtle with gorgeous cinnamon colored bark, exfoliating bark that like crape myrtles have, and that would be a nice So you can train it to a single trunk make a really nice little tree out of that. There are many other examples. Those are just two of what I'm talking about. But if you're picking a tree for your place, think about things like what do I want it for? Do I want it to shade the roof of my house or a western wall or a back patio, So in the summer, I can go out there and enjoy it, enjoy the break from the sun. Do I want something with blooms that I can look at? Remember this, when you plant a tree like that thirty foot tall soon to be natches, well, you can see blooms, but you got to look straight up to see them. Because they're way up there in the air, you don't notice them as much. If you want something that looms and people driving by can appreciate, or when you drive up to your home you can appreciate the blooms, maybe one of the shrub slash trees, and there are plants that in a sense. Crape myrtle can almost be that, but it can either be like a large shrub or it can be a small tree. A good example you know of things that are like a shrub slash tree would be something like yopan can make a very small tree or a shrub. Southern wax myrtle can make a very small tree or a shrub. You can train it to a single trunk and nice like out beside a patio or something like that. I mentioned crape myrtles. There are other examples, though, of things that fit that Bill Vitex is one of my favorite trees slash shrubs. Vitex doesn't want to be a tree, it wants to be a multi stem shrub. I'm working on a pruning system right now to see if it works to turn my Vitex into a small tree with a single trunk. Don't try this at home, by text will fight you. But if I figured it out, I'll tell you if I figure out something that works, I'm in the middle. I think I'm gonna win, but we'll see. Vy text gets the last word on that. But anyway, texts beautiful blue purple blooms all through summer. There is a white blooming form as well. Hummingbirds, beneficial insects that like flower pollinators love it, butterflies even And it's just a good tree. And it blooms in the summer for crying out loud. If you shear it back, you can even get it to bloom again. It blooms on the terminals. So that's a really good tree to plant. So think about that. How big is your place? Where do you want to view the tree from? You know, are you gonna are you going to sit under it for shade or are you going to get some flowers. There are even trees that produce fruit of course that could be used. So anyway, consider that gets you a nice tree that does well. I tell you a good place to get tree period is RCW Nursery. They grow their own trees up there and Plantsville. RCW is located where Tomball Parkway and belt Way eight come together, and they absolutely have the best that you're going to see. It could be down you know, small shrubs, yopon, dorfiopon, different things like that, azaleas and whatnot. Certainly roses got one of the best selection of roses anywhere. But when it comes to trees, they bring them in, you know, from fifteen gallons on up the two hundred gallons ornamental tree shade trees. Their species and varieties that want to grow here, that's what they raise. As they grow these, they grow them right, so you get a well anchored, nice trained plant when you buy it. You can plant it yourself. You can have RCW plant for you either way you want to go. But check out our CW Nurseries RCW Nurseries dot com. Tombo Parkway in Beltway eight easy access, and I'll promise you this you will get a quality tree. It is the place to get your trees just they just do an outstanding job. And of course I'm not even talking about all the other cool stuff from color and flowers and vegetables and herbs that they have there at RCW. I love it. If you have not done an azamite application to your lawn recently, you gota go ahead and get that done. We have our fertilizing seasons and if you go online to Gardening with Skip dot com, that's my website, Gardening with Skip. That's what we're doing here on guard line. There is a lawn care schedule on there and it tells you when to fertilize. It tells you what products to two sprum for that fertilization. Typically we're fertilizing in the spring and we're fertilizing in the fall as the two primaries. Then we have a midsummer fertilization we can do where if your lawn needs a little extra boost or maybe used a product that doesn't last a long time, you could come back and do that third in the summer. But azamite is nutrients, but it's nutrients that aren't the kind in a fertilizer with three nombers on the bag that really push fast growth and greenness. Azamite is a nutrient for all the things that plants need that they have to have, that are essential, that are needed in small amounts, and so you can do azmite at any time. Most people will do as mite when they fertilize, you know, they go out and spread fertilizer and bring the hopper back, put azmite in it, and go out and spread asmite. That's how you would go about and do it. It could do it in either order, so you could do it now. It's easy to remember that way. But there's nine a month of the year where you can't put azmite down and it doesn't take much. Just you know, a forty four pound bag is going to cover six to twelve thousand square feet, and so the main thing is just make sure and get that done periodically because that helps build that sole bank account of nutrients. Very important. Hey, it's got a lot quiet on the phone, sore. If anybody's got a call, be happy to visit with you at seven one three two one two ktrh. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep talking about things. I'm interested in things that are important. You know, when I worked with the AGR Life Extension Service as a horticulturist for thirty five years here in Texas, we used to say that the three things that make the phone ring are trees, turf, and tomatoes, the three teas. The way I like to put it is, everybody cares about what's wrong with my lawn? How do I grow lawn? All the long questions, and trees, what's wrong with my tree? What's a good tree? How do I pert tree? All that kind of tree questions. Those are the two big ones. And then tomatoes. Tomatoes rule the garden. As I always say, no one ever calls me about their Cole Robbie, it's all. It's typically a tomato call, and other vegetables as well. But the three tea's make the phone ring. And so the turf, that's probably the biggest one. Lots of questions about turf. And you know, people, well, my lawn is thin, my lawn is it's getting weedy because the sunlight's hitting the soil. The lawn is not thick. Trench bugs hit last year, take all root ride has been affecting it. It's compacted, and so the grass just isn't thriving a drought. You know, it got kind of dry and died back a little bit. What do I do Well, One of the most important things if you want to have a beautiful green lawn is to do a core aeration and a compost top dressing. Now, why didn't I just say aer ration. Well, it's because a core aerration pops plugs of soil out of the ground and drops them on the surface. It doesn't just push a hole in the ground. And by opening it up that way, any fats that you have, those dissolving plugs of soil get in around the thatch and speed the decomposition of it. You open up holes in the soil. You breathe life into your lawn. You throw compost top dressing over it, just a thin layer like a third of an inch compost top dressing over the top of that. After you air rate and you really have set your line up to bounce back and look good, water infiltrates faster in those hole. Nutrients can move down in there like your fertilizers and things. It works. The folks at year round Houston serve inside the Beltway inside belt Wait eight year round Houston Dot com. That's the website year round, Houston dot com. You can also give Cliff a call eight three to two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. And if he's out on a job, which he often is, uh, then just leave a message and he will call you back very fast. Eight three to two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. Talk to them if you're inside the beltway, talk to them about coming out and doing a core aeration and compost top dressing on your lawn. Let's head to West Houston now and we're going to visit with Gary. Hey, Gary, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good morning, Skip. Yeah, I wanted to call in and talk.
Speaker 10: I've got a small little I've got I think come down from four plants, tomato plants in five gallon containers. All right, I've got some what I thought was some good soil. I couldn't find jungle land. They didn't have it at Memorial City when I needed it.
Speaker 1: But okay, so but I got some.
Speaker 10: Good stuff put it in there and put them in about March first, and every every year, I've got some kind of problem just the way it is, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Happy to hang out through the break.
Speaker 10: If nobody wants to call, but I want to talk about the uh, the stress that I you know, it drains through. It drains very very well, right, almost too good, and I wanted to talk about and I'm not setting up, at least not right now. I'm not setting up drip irrigation, but wanted to talk about a way to keep it from you know, it gets moist it drains quickly, dries up quickly, and you know how it is. Maybe I got to do two times a day, et cetera. But I'm but I'm getting blossom and rot pretty bad on a couple of them, and I've lost ten ten tomatoes. I'm kind of used to that early in season, but now I'm dealing with it now and I shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Okay, So here here's the deal. First of that. Yeah, yeah, So, blossom endrite is primarily a fluctuation and soil moisture issue. It's it's caused by lack of calcium to the tip of the tomato, but it's there could be enough calcium in your soil, so generally adding castium to the soil doesn't fix it, but working on the fluctuation does. In a real chunky mix it drains extra well, maybe almost too well. Your tomato is more likely to go through that too dry, too wet, or very wet to too dry. More. Also, five gallons is really a minimum for growing a tomato, unless it's just a little tiny dwarf tomato. Now when when if you can give them more soil next next time you do this, that would be helpful. Getting the soil that holds moisture a little bit better but still drains well would be important. Uh, And so that that's what I would recommend. H blossom enrat tends to be worse on the earlier tomatoes of the season, and not as bad as time goes on. But you can have it anytime if he goes see that moisture fluctuation, So I would I would get a bigger a bigger plot next time, and just do everything you can to keep it moighty. It may mean water and twice a day. Yeah, all right, I got about ten seconds here, Gary.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all right, that's good enough. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Skip all right, Well, good luck with that. Give me a call back sometime. We'll glad to continue this or another conversation. All right, Uh, let's see here Chris in spring. You'll be our first when we come back from this break. Thank you all for listening to the Guarden Line. We love to visit with you about planet that's not happy place sitting and talking to gardeners about plants. I'll be right back, all right, welcome back. Good have you with us here on Garden Line. Listen. I keep telling you that you need to go to Moss Nursery and see this. I know everybody down there knows it. It must have been around for a good night seventy years. So everybody in the Seabrook area certainly knows it in that whole region. But for the rest of you, it is worth a trip down. You go down to Chema the boardwalk, get your buy to eat, and run over to Moss Nursery and Seabrook and enjoy yourself. Eight acres crammed with gorgeous plants. There are flowering things everywhere. I've been talking about bluemin trees. I'm talking about shrubs and about flowers. Hanging baskets, Oh my gosh, Jim has nice selection of hanging baskets there at Moss. You know, every time I go, I just wander, which is how you need to shop at Moss. Just wander around, look at everything, and every time you turn a corner, you're going to see something that's like what is that? And it typically is some kind of piece of artwork that's very unusual. But there are if you know, it doesn't matter what kind of plant or interesting, Jim is going to have really cool ones. Now. For example, the birds and us were fern look like a fern. It looks different, but it's with big, old, wide, strappy leaves. He's got plenty of those. He has a new there's a new kind of porch of laca that I've never seen. This porch of laka molo kenniensis, I believe, is how they say that heat and drought tolerant, very unusual looking plant. You go into his greenhouses and who knows what you're gonna find in there. Lots of things for the sun, you know, things when it gets hot and it's humid and it's blazing and you're like dying outside during the middle of the day. Must have got the plants you need to have out there in the garden. A mendavilla is beautiful plant. There's one called sun parasol blueforia. That if you've seen men of bell as before, you know you're typically looking at some pinks and colors like that. Well, men to be a sun blue blue foria. It's I say that is a beautiful vine with just kind of a purplish lavender bloom that is just gorgeous and all kinds of tropical kinds of things. You know, if you like for indoors or something like and in theoryum, those are gorgeous plants with the colorful little bloom and leaf structures on them. It doesn't matter what you're looking for. Moss has it. But listen, you gotta go down, you gotta walk around, you gotta see this place. It is really really nice. And that includes containers. You're gonna find a lot of containers there you don't see anywhere else. But that's typical moss. They carry things as well as the common things. They carry things that you don't see just anywhere else. All you gotta do is go to Toddville Road and Seabrook that's where they're located. Or go to the website Moss Nursery dot com m aas by the way, that's how we spell it. Let's go out to spring. Now, let's Visabeth Chris. Hey Chris, welcome to guard Line. Hey skop, good morning.
Speaker 11: I was calling about excuse me, gray leafs, gray leaf spot. I've had it, treated it the last four years and it comes back almost every late March early April.
Speaker 1: I treat it with dak.
Speaker 11: Nel four ounces to one gallon of water.
Speaker 1: I put some.
Speaker 11: Turbo spreader so it sticks to the blades. So I got it again. I treated it a month ago. It's back now it's spread into my neighbors adjoining yard in my backyard.
Speaker 1: What am I doing wrong? And is this ever going to stop?
Speaker 3: Am I treating it right? Yeah? Well that's a good product. Dknil is a good product for it. So is Eagle. It is an Eagles a nitopas product that contains micaelobutan nill and it's a systemic. It moves in and it does a good job on a number of different turf type diseases. So you might want to consider that one. Great leaf spot is very environmentally related. So when we go from the cooler spring and it warms up a little bit going into summer and then you get a lot of leaf wetness. It could be rain it could be irrigation, but just keeping those grass blades a little on the wet side and also in shade. It's even worse. Gray leaf spot takes off and does its thing. It's primarily early late fall or excuse me, late spring to about midsummer. A problem that we have here. So you can treat it chemically, but the more you back off on frequency of watering and the backing off a little bit on nitrogen. Sometimes if you push it with too much nitrogen, you make it prone to certain problems like gray leaf spot. So those would be my tips for it, other than that, you know, using the fungicides, but trying to get in ahead of it. You know, but when it's going to occur, and if you forget when it's gonna occur, you can go to my schedule on at gardening with skip dot com my lawn pest disease, and we'd manage the schedule. I got a little bar in there across the chart that shows when to look for gray leaf spot and try to get ahead of rather than reacting to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what should I do after I treat it?
Speaker 11: Should I do some dinus soil exervators should do more composts because I've already erated composts. You know, like your schedule said, is there anything to do after post treatment?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, any kind of things like that are good for the lawn, But as far as if you've treated for the grey leaf spot, those other things aren't going to make the grey leaf spot go away. And they're just good for lawn grass, lawn grass growth and health and strength and all that kind of thing. They're not a they don't go after grey leaf spot. And how is it that it's been a year where I've seen a lot of pictures uh spores, uh spores from those spots. There's little tiny black dots in the spots that are you can't hardly see them with a naked eye. They release spores that float around the yard and then they land on a grass blade and they don't infect until that grass blade stays wet for a certain period of time, and then the spore, just like a wheat seed, sprouts and it infects the leaf. And that's how you get more of it.
Speaker 11: Okay, because this in my backyard too. My backyard's pretty big and it's it's pretty hard to treat with the pump spray it'd be be back there for several hours. I don't know, this is going to leave the backyard alone and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Well, the the eagle is a granule, and so you could put it out with your fertilizer spreader. That would be another option.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a spreader.
Speaker 3: Okay, good deal. Nitrofoss Eagle, Yeah, nitropos egle.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you sir.
Speaker 3: All right, you bet, you bet appreciate the call. Yeah. Nit Frous Eagle is one of the many products from Nitrofoss that works really well on problems like that gray leaf spot. The Michaelo butte to nil is a systemic fungicide moves into the plant tissues and it lasts a while. So Dacani is a great product for leaf spots. You get it on the leaf and it stops the spots there. But the michael buttee goes into the plant tissue and it's going to be around for longer. You know. I ain't could wash the daconel off, but that microbutiny, being locally systemic, is going to give you a little bit better length of time. By the way, you can find it places like M and D and Rosenberg on Avenue I. If you go to Court Hardware in Stafford, they carry products from Nitravas. That's on South Maine and then up in Cyprus. The M and D and Cypress on Loveetta Road carries Nitavas products as well. All right here, boy, time is flying today. I'm telling you speaking of Nitrovass products. The super turf, the nineteen four to ten silver bag for summer. It will carry you if you put superturf out now, if you haven't fertilized in let's say six weeks with a slow release or anything. You've put superturf out now and it'll carry all the way up to your fall fertilization if you return your clippings and have them recycle those nutrients back into the turf. Nitrovas Superturf silver bag easy to spot from anywhere. You go to Langham Creek Case Hardware on FM five to you go up to the Woodlands to Auspa Ace or maybe down down in the Kadi area to the Ace on Mason Road. A single ranch all carry nit Foss products like that super turf, so make sure and have it on hand for the next time you're going to want to fertilize because it works. I was visiting with the folks up at D and D Feed the other asked up by there and just checking out what they have in stock, and as always it's a lot, boy, they have tons of things. You know, of course, all the fertilizers I talk about from nitrofoss and Microlife and turf Star from Nelson and Medina, and they carry heirloom soils products there, the Nelson plant food for the turf typeline and for the little jars. They have both of those, and it is just a good place to shop. You're going to find a lot of things that you need for your lawn and for your garden to have success. And some really high quality pet foods too, in addition to the feeds for livestock other things. D and D Feed's located three miles west of two forty nine. It's three miles west of two forty nine on Highway twenty nine to twenty so, just west of tom Ball. Go by and say hated the Dover family, Jeff and the whole crew really there at D and D Feed and Supply. Let me take a little break and we'll come back with our last short segment. Here of this hour. All right, thanks for hopping hopping here on Guardenline. Good to have you back with us. You'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two fifty eight to seventy four. Earlier today, I was visiting with someone and they were asking me about managing mosquitoes and uh and ants and other things like that. Well, well, Pest Brothers is our go to pest control company in the Greater Houston area. And when I say Greater Houston, I'm talking about from the Woodlands, all the way down to Texas City, from over in Katie, all the way across the Baytown. They cover those areas and they deal with whatever pest you have indoor pass cockroaches in the house, oh my gosh, uh, fire ants outside, oh my goodness. And termites. Boy, you talk about the one pass I can do the most monetary damage to your home. That's termites. They have special ways of dealing with them that are very effective but also the safest possible manner. That's how Pest Brothers does their business. You can go to the website Vpestbros dot Com Thepestbros dot Com or give them a call seven or two eight one two o six forty six seventy two eight one two o six forty six seventy. I don't know. Lots of people have been asking me about their bucket system for mosquitoes because I talk about it. I got some calls from college station and other places the other day because I heard about it on guarden Line. Well, ask them to tell you about their mosquito management system. I call it the bucket system, but it is really cool stuff. If you don't like mosquitos, you'll of this system, that's for sure. We're going to go up now to Northwest Houston and talk to Marcie. Hey, Marcy, welcome to garden.
Speaker 6: Line High Skip. Good morning. My question is.
Speaker 8: What is what is a female tree in.
Speaker 6: A male tree?
Speaker 8: Is that true that we are planting more male trees?
Speaker 3: That's why we're.
Speaker 9: Suffering from allergies.
Speaker 8: I was reading something about Okay.
Speaker 3: That is a great question. That is a great question. Here's the deal. Uh huh, okay.
Speaker 12: Sounds you because I have allergies right now, and I mean, what's going on out there that they said that? Because I'll tell you Okay, let me tell.
Speaker 3: Me, let me, let me talk, and I'm going to tell you Marcia. So here's the deal with male and female. Here's the deal with male and female trees. Most trees, Most plants are both male and female, like peach blossom has male and female parts. Per simons have separate can have separate male and female flowers on the same tree. But some plants have separate male and female trees. Papayas are an example of a tree that's male or female. And when you're talking about allergies, the eastern red cedar, the ash juniper in Central Texas, those are separate male and female trees. And so there, if you plant the female tree, you don't get pollen. But if you plant a male tree, you do. And if you look at a site at an ash juniper or a cedar, you can't look at it and go, oh, that's a male or female. It just you end up finding out that it is. But in some plants that is separated. But in general, we have a lot of allergies. We have allergies to grass pollen, we have allergies to like elm tree pollen. There's not male and female elm trees there's there's not. But with the with the ash juniper in the cedar, there are male and female trees, and it would be nice if we could distinguish between the two to avoid that kind of problem. And that is it in a nutshell. Let's let's see here. Let's go to Mike and Conroe. Hello, Mike, welcome to garden Line. How you doing, Steve, I'm doing good. How are you today?
Speaker 1: I'm great.
Speaker 13: I'm building a house up in Conroe, not too far from like the dam. Most of the properties kind of a sandy loam on the property line. There's a My neighbor has a shop that's relatively close, and I have a section that I can see through. So I'm trying to find something that will be in evergreen and totally block out that view. I have some I don't know if there's a little small seeds or some got a little evergreen, but if they won't get much over seven eight feet tall. I was just wanting to see what your recommendation was. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, what the first thing is to consider your eye line of sight? You know, like, for example, if someone is sitting down on a patio and a chair You look at the line of sight to what you want to block, and then consider how far it is from you. The closer you put a bush to where you were viewing from, the less tall that bush needs to be in order to block the view. As you get closer and closer to let's say the shop or something you're wanting to block, you need a bigger and bigger plant to fully block that view, so that that's part of the decision in which plant to plant. Good screening plants include things like there is a cherry laurel that does very well. It's an evergreen. There's a several cultivars of it. One's called brighton tight, and it makes a taller screen in time. There are many hollies that do a good job of that. In the native plant range, we've got things like the southern wax myrtle. It's not going to get super tall, but it will achieve some height in time, maybe six feet or so in a reasonable amount of time. And then there is a yopon and any shrub, the more you share it, the denser it becomes, and the better of a screen it becomes. Yopon is also an evergreen plant that you could put in. So those are a few plants that you might want to consider. I don't think i'd do the mere lemon there for various reasons. Number one, it's cold tender, and so if you ended up getting a bad bed freeze, then you've lost your screen and you're starting over. So I'd rather go with something that's a little better. There's also a plant called oh gosh, I just don't mind on the name of it. I'm going to think of it in a minute here. But Japanese You the Japanese u gets quite tall and with a little shearing, makes a really nice dense screen. Japanese u. You see these around town, just with making a wall of foliage. So those are a few options. All right, did I lose I guess I lost them there. Okay, Well, let's see I was talking about yesterday about Airloom soils and all the different products they offer and the leaf mall compost. They will bring leaf moll compost to your house in a cubic yard supersack, drop it on the ground right there in the driveway wherever you want it. But when you do delivery on the supersacks, I believe they have a three sack minimum for delivery, and there is spees for delivery. Of course, anytime you're hauling bulky stuff around town, there's an extra charge for sure on that. You can get m a call if you don't go out to porter. That's where the soil yard is located at Warren's Rock and multch out there two eight, one, three five four nineteen fifty scheduling things like that. Or you can just go online to the Heirloom Soils website airloomsoils dot com. You'll find there all of the products they offer, many many things available by the bag at area garden centers and feed stores and ace hardware stores and I mean just all kinds of places. Southwest Fertilizer Course has them. But either way you want to go about it, you're going to find the product you need. Do you want to grow veggies and herbs, get their veggie and herb mix. It's outstanding. Do you want to fill in an area of la lawn you're about to plant, get the lawn mix that is outstanding. Whatever you're getting from Heirloom Soils is going to be quality made and it's going to be something that causes your plants to thrive in I always say brown stuff before green stuff. Set the foundation before you put in the plants. Heirloom soils awesome place to get a very very solid foundation so you can have success. Everybody's going to think you have a green thumb and all you have is the phone number for heirloom soils. That's it. That's how you do it. All right, I am almost out of time here. Let's go ahead. I'm gonna go to Huntsville here and talk to Charles. Charles, I'll see if we can get it done. If not, we'll hold you over and finish the after the top of the hour.
Speaker 14: I'm up here forty miles north of Huntsville, Alabama, in Tennessee. My wife just bought a beautiful little Meyer lemon at the nursery. It's in a pot about eighteen inches tall, and it's about a foot and a half tall. When is the best time to transplant that into a larger container, which ultimately maybe its final container because we're gonna have to wheel it inside in the winter.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you're talking about a redbud.
Speaker 14: Did you say, no, a Meyer?
Speaker 3: What was the plant? Oh? Meyer lemon? I'm sorry, I'm looking at another call Meyer lemon. Now do it now, get it as much time as you can. They don't want to grow in the cool season. They just want to try to get by, and so I would do it asap. It in the new spot. Put some good quality fertilizer around it, watered in real good and keep it moist. The most important thing on the containerized citrus like that is don't let it dry out too much. I'm gonna the music is about to cut me off. If you want to hang around, we can continue this. If not, I do wish you well. All right, folks, welcome back to your guardline. Good to have you with us this morning. Got some callers on hold here. We're about to get to I wanted to make a statement about some liquid products from Microlife. I use the Biomatrix. That is a orange label liquid. It comes in quartz, comes in gallons. I use it for a lot of things. It is it's got primarily nitrogen in it, not much phosphorus, which is okay for a lot of uses, and a moderate amount of potassium. I use it for houseplants, anything, foliage, indoors especially. It's very good for that. Now you can go outdoors and you can provide the same boost to whatever kind of plants that you're trying to get a little bigger. And a lot of times, let me just say something, a lot of times you'll see fertilizers for blooming plants that had a lot of phosphorus in them, and that's because phosphorus is very important for blooming. But it's also important for blooming to have vigor in the plants. If let's say you planted some trailing petunias this spring and they're kind of dwindling a little bit, and you know at some point here they're not going to bloom as well. You when it starts to go downhill a little bit, don't wait until it's not blooming at all, cut it back, share it back, and then get you a nitrogen type product to apply, like the biomatrix the orange label, and apply to that plant to boost fresh new foliage growth new leaves, and the leaves capture sunlight and the sunlight in the plant is utilized to make growth and to make blooms to make carbohydrates. So nitrogen is important for blooming. Not overdoing nitrogen, but don't forget that is also important. So that biometrix is just a good product to use on a lot of different things, a lot of situations. It's available from the folks at Microlife. We're going to go back out to Huntsville, Alabama and continue our conversation with Charles. Hey, Charles, welcome to guard lineback. Good to have you back.
Speaker 14: Said, to get that Meyer lemon into the large container that's going to be its home the rest of its life, which is on wheels, and we can pull it into the garage. But what should I what fertilizer should I use on that after we transplant it into the larger one.
Speaker 3: You know, at this point I would probably use and there are some good fruit tree fertilizers. You know you're out there in Huntsville. I don't know what kind of brands and stuff you have access to out there, but fertilizers for fruit trees will be fine. You don't, okay. I would just get a good lawn fertilizer with a three one two ratio of nutrients. So an example would be fifteen five ten are twenty one seven fourteen or do you see what I'm saying. The I'm just giving you that's the ratio. It doesn't those numbers aren't what's important. It's the ratio. The bigger the numbers, the less you use. But follow the label on it. And I've used lawn fertilizers on my fruit trees for a number of years and they do just fine with that.
Speaker 14: Okay, you helped me out.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: All right, take care out there. Good good to have you on Gardenline. Thanks for calling in. Appreciate that Nelson Water Garden and Nursery is out there in Katie. And if you have not been to Nelson, you need to go. This is our West Houston destination garden center. It really is Nelson Water Gardens. You head out ten and when you get to Katie, you just turn north on Katie Fort Ben Road. When you get up to Nelson's it's on the right hand side's not very far up the street. You're going to find some interesting things. Number one, you're going to find the water gardens. They're nationally known for their water gardens. You've seen those big, beautiful ceramic containers that have water spilling over the sides and then it recirculates back through the container. It's called a disappearing fountain. They invented that and they've got tons of containers. I just go see. I can't even just adequately describe to you the beauty and the variety of all those beautiful water containers because they do waterfalls and stuff as well. But it's water gardens and nursery. Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery. The nursery is also outstanding beautiful plants. When you walk in. I always go through the shop the store to get that back to the plants and back because I love looking at the houseplants that are in the store. They're beautiful. If you need a quick gift for somebody, go in there and grab on those houseplants. It looks good from the time you bought it, it just looks good. And then when you get to the back, so many different options from cacti to succulents, to beautiful vines, to herbs and vegetables and tropical hibiscus and everything else. Nelson Water Garden and Nursery. They are on Katy Fort Ben Road again just north of the KD Freeway. Enterstate ten. Nelson Watergardens dot Com. Nelson Watergardens dot Com. We're gonna head out now to Bay City and talk to Terry this morning. Hello, Terry, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Hi Skip, Okay, I have two questions for you. First, First of all, my Peggy Martin roses they bloomed. They were gorgeous. Now it's a miss. It's like, oh my gosh, they're sending out new growth. However, underneath I see all this like where the where the roses had bloomed there, like if you could dead head them, which you can't, you would need to. But all these blooms now they turned brown and it seems like it had some mass of vines that h I wish I could cut them out, but they they're old, and they grew and they made a hedge, a higher hedge about three feet tall. And the problem is they're on a structure that I made. It's a lattice work structure and I had it zip tied to t posts and I guess during the winter the zip tize they dry rotted, the froze or something, and now my lattice work is coming down. It's like I need to redo my structure. But to do that, I would have to like pretty much cut my Peggy Martin's way low. So I could just redo my structure, but I don't want to kill my Peggy Martins. So what's your suggestion?
Speaker 3: All right, So what you want to do? Roses bloom on new growth, so you can cut of rose back as much as you want and it'll come back. Now I would unhook that lattice if that's kind of what's already happening with the zip tize. Get your new structure put on there, and then take the rose and begin to tie it back to the new structure, and you can prune back as much as you want. It will regrow. And so as it begins to regrow, if you can orient the vines more horizontal than vertical, that helps it fill in faster and you'll have a really good bloom on it. That's also true with your winter pruning on your Peggy Martin. But you can just guide it as you want, and it's a very vigorous plant. I had a Peggy Martin. Here's an example of what Peggy can take, Terry. I had a Peggy Martin that got up about six feet tall after I planted it, and my two Golden retrievers chewed it off at a foot high. It came back, it got up again. It was about eight feet tall. They chewed it off at knee high. I put a wire cage around it, and it grew and now it's filling the trellis and just beautiful. Peggy Martin is tough. Don't be afraid to cut on it, even if it's a dog chewing it off for you. It's gonna survive it and it'll come back. Okay. So get that structure built strong. Yeah, yeah, get it Bill strong for long term holding that Peggy Martin because she's a vigorous one.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well too. There's no one winding anything, you know, there's no one winding on that. It's gonna have to be cut down. I just wanted to hello because I can't unwind it from the structure, So that answers that question. Now I have a question.
Speaker 3: About Hey, hey, well, Terry, hang on, I got to go to a break right quick. Just hang on. We'll take your next question right when we come back. Thanks a lot. We'll put you on hold for a second here, all right, Well, I got to catch you off guard with some word music every now and then. So there we go. Some of you are out there dancing in your later hose, and I know that I ca can see you from here. Wild Birds Unlimited those three words. That's what you need to know when it comes to anything birds. I don't care what it is. They know their stuff. You can go in with any kind of questions. You walk in there, you're gonna find any kind of product. And the seed selections they have. The collection that they have are outstanding. Right now, we're in nesting season, so they have an exclusive product only available at Wilbirds Unlimited called Nesting Superblend. That's the one to be using right now. It's got everything birds need when they're laying eggs or hatching out checks and raising checks and everything like that. It is an awesome product. The feeders that you put it in it can be. You can buy it by loose bags. You can put it in any feeder are You can buy the little cylinders that are compacted. The birds peck the seeds out. Nesting super Blend is available that way as well at Wildbirds Unlimited. By the way, we have six Wildbirds and Limited stores here in the Greater Houston area. There's one on Cypress on Barker Cypress. There's one in Houston on bel Air, another one in Houston out Western Memorial Drive. Pearland has the store on East Broadway. Clear Lake has one on El Dorado, and if you got in Kingwood, you got a Wildbird's Unlimited store on Kingwood Drive. While are you there, make sure and pick up my favorite hummingbird feeder. That is the hy Perch hummingbird, a lot flat hummingbird feeder, so when the birds get to it, you can kind of see them. It's not like a bird is hiding on the other side of the feeder. I love it. It works really well. I just reloaded it. I had some hummingbirds come into it, reloaded it and put it out yesterday for another round. I love while Birds Unlimited and you will too, but I got to warn you it's addictive. It is addictive. We're gonna go back to Bay City and Terry, you were gonna follow up with another question. I think, how can we help?
Speaker 15: Okay, it's about redbud trees I bought. I'm obsessed with them. I have one that's huge and it's under pine trees and it's gorgeous. So I had the opportunity to buy four more and they're on they're in pots and I haven't decided we're on a plant them. And I want to know. I always thought they were kind of meant to be like an undergrowth tree, like a dogwood or something, and that's where my big one is. But could I have these new ones in full sun or it's an aren't a good idea?
Speaker 3: The Eastern red bud, the standard red bud you see around here, is not as happy in full sun as it is and as an understory tree. There is a red bud called Texas red bud. Now, the difference is the Eastern the leaf is not shiny. It is a little thinner compared to the Texas, which has a shiny, leathery Yeah, okay, so yeah, the Texas could go in the sun, just fine. The Eastern you're gonna you can put it in sun, but you just need to keep it adequately watered. And you know it, it would be happier if it was a little more shade. But i'd give it. You got the plants already, I'd give it a try.
Speaker 15: Okay, Well, thank you so much. I'm going to do that, all right, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the call, Terary. You take care. So yeah, let's uh, let's talk about a red budge just for a moment. They're actually the three types of red buds that you can find in our area. There is the standard type, which is the Eastern red bud. Eastern redbud that the leaves are very heart shaped, they are thinner, and they are not shiny in their appearance. Okay, the Texas red bud is native out in this direction out west. It has a leathery leaf, thicker meaning it's what I mean by that, and it's shinier and instead of being a long pointed tip on the heart shaped leaf, it's more rounded. It's got a little tip on it, but not as much Texas red bud much more sun tolerant, very tough, very tough plant. It's hard to find them, and they red buds are promiscuous. They cross, and so if you have a Texas red bud and you save seed off of it, and there's probably Eastern red buds all around the neighborhood somewhere, and they're gonna end up being a mix between the two, which is just how they are. But Texas redbud if you can find. And then there's a Mexican red bud that has smaller leaves that are very rounded and they are wavy on the edges like kind of like a wavy as you go around the edge, kind of like maybe the edges of some types of a cray paper or something. Anyway, that's another good tolerant heat tolerant ones intolerant one, but it forms more of a bushy looking small tree than the types that you would think of when you think of red buds. Anyway, those three are all available, they all have their place in our area, but just something to be aware of it, Chris. Redbuds come also in trailing types. There's one called Traveler that it's it's like it the branches hanging down at like pendant direction. That is kind of cool. There's red buds that are white. That's another one. There's red buds that have beautiful foliage. Some have burgundy foliage, some have kind of an orange and yellow, almost like a sunrise coming up kind of foliage. So if you're gonna buy a red bud, do a little shopping around, find the one that fits what you want, and you can find it here locally at our great independent garden centers. You're listening to garden Line. Our phone number if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two to one two KTR eight seven one three two, one, two, five, eight seven four. League City Feed done in League City. It's right there. It's easy to get to you. Just if you're coming across Highway ninety six into League City. You turn south on Highway three and a few blocks south of ninety six on the east side, if you're going south, on the left hand, left hand side is League City Feed. It's been around since what forty years ago? I believe, actually it was over forty years ago that the Thunderberg family first built it. The third generation now runs it with that same old fashioned good feed store approach, and that means we're going to carry your feed sacks out for you. We're going to carry the products that you need here. You know, do you want to have a beautiful yard and garden. You want to get the fertilizers I recommend on garden Line, night foss ASMI, microlife soils like Airloom soils, and Nelson plant Food. There's another one that they carry, they're League City Feed. They're open Monday through Saturday, nine to six, closed on Sunday, but nine to six means you're on the way home from work, you can swing by there get you some quality dog food. Gets the products that you need to control pests, weeds and diseases and get you your fertilizers right there at League City Feed again a few blocks south of ninety six on Highway three. We've covered a lot of ground today on different things. I was talking about fruit trees and disease issues and things like that. Diseases are more prominent in areas where it rains than they are in arid areas, and that is a significant factor. There are Let's take up a con tree for example. It's kind of interesting. Pecans get several different kinds of leaf diseases, and the more it rains, the more the disease problems occur. There's a disease called scab that causes the leaves to get big black areas on them and really messes up production. It gets on the shucks as well, and there are other diseases on pecans. If you were to look at a map of Texas and you took Interstate thirty five as the north south dividing line. East of that line, we have to plant varieties that are scab resistant in order to have success. Unless you want to run a sprayer every weekend. The spray or pecan trees, which nobody wants to do. West of that line, they can plant other varieties that are gray varieties, but they just don't have the scab resistance. If you go to the Aggie Horticulture website Aggie Horticulture, up, tax and m there is a fruit and nuts section on the front page. You click on that and you will get a publication on every kind of fruit and that you would want to grow. I mean, avocados are on there all the way down to I don't know what a ze fruit, but they've got it's all on there. And when you open the pecan publication, what you'll see is that map I'm describing, and it'll have a list of the varieties for both sides of the line. So if you're gonna plant a pecan, you need to plant one that is resistant to scab so you have a hope of at least having it produced pecans. Now, as far as getting pecans, you're gonna have to talk to your neighborhood squirrels about that because they have first shot and they are there are vandals, they are thieves, and I understand that with dumplings they make good food. Other than that pecan fed squirrel. Here's pretty good deed. Other than that, you don't end up getting a lot of pecans. You get shade underneath the pecan tree, though. But if you're gonna chose a variety, choose one that's gab resistant. You need two varieties of pecans to give you a good crop with cross pollination. Now, earlier I was talking about male and female trees. This is not a male and female issue with pecans. All pecans have both male and female. Right, The nuts are the female. The catkins the little pipe cleaner little things that drop on the ground after pollination. That's the male park. But some pecan trees the catkins come out before the nutlets are receptive to pollen, and on others the nutlets are receptive to pollen before the catkins come out. All right, So when you plant one of each type, both types benefit and you get a good crop on both types. This publication explains, it's way too much to explain that on the air. But before you plant a pecan tree, pick a variety it's scab resistant. If there's other pecans in the area, don't worry about plant and two trees. There's gonna be pollen. It's wind blown pollen. It's gonna be everwhere You're gonna be good. No need to worry about that, but that is something at least to be aware of if you have not done your summer on fertilization yet. Nitrofoss Super Turf the silver Bag nineteen four ten is the product that will carry you all the way at this point in the sea, all the way in the fall. Now, if you already did a slow release earlier in the late spring or early summer, well it's not early summer yet. Sometime in the spring, don't do super turf again. Now, Okay, you wait a little while and then a few months later do super Dirk. But bottom line is it will carry you for four months sixteen weeks and so with the return of clippings, that basically takes you into the fall fertilization season as your next fertilization. It's a nice slow release product works very well designed for our types of grass we grow here, which is Lleisier Bermuda in Saint Augustine, and for the soils and climate that we're in right here. You're going to find super Turf at places like m and d up in Cyperson and Luetta Katie Ace Hardware on pen Oak. If you go up I forty five North Hiden and feed that area Hiden and feed on Stubner Airline carries night Frost products. Also, it's time for me to take a little break here in just a moment. When we come back and in North Houston, you will be our first up uh and we will also come back to your questions. All you got to do is call me it seven one three two one two k t R H and we'll be happy to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful garden, and definitely more fun in the process. That's the most important part of gardening. We have fun on guarden line. I mean, why would I play yodling music if I wasn't trying to have fun. Maybe maybe you run out of the room and hold your ears, But I think it's fun. All right, Enough of all that, take a little break here, we'll be right back within. Oh boy, culinary bum I forget. Oh that's a fun. You gotta grow tomatoes down. If you got a pulse, get you a big container at least five down all put your good tomato in it. Now we're here in the summertime, little lake plant tomatoes. But anyway you'll enjoy them. Hey, I tell you what you could do though. On Saturday, May thirty first, you can go to Enchended Forests from two thirty to four thirty is their tomato tasting contest. Whether you're a home gardener or you know tomato super fan or just love a juicy after noon tomato, this event is for you, all right. Tomato Tasting Contest and Chendi Forest Saturday May thirty first, two thirty to four thirty pm. Now, when you're out in an Enchended forest, you're going to find every kind of plant you might possibly want. When you when you walk up, just look at all the color that's out front. Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous. I was out there the other day. But they have a lot of pollinator favorites, a beautiful selection of nectar rich plants that support those pollinators like bees and butterflies. They also attrack hummingbirds, things like native milkweed. They have several varieties of that. Akin a share a coneflower beautiful. I love that plant. Lentanas another good one. And then there's some plants that are not so easy to find that provide larval food for the butterflies. You know, if you want butterflies, you got to feed the babies well. Dutchman's pipeline attracts a type of a swallowtail type butterfly, Texas elbow bush and a good navy plant there that attracts things in ninety different types of salvia. That's my favorite genera of plants at almost ninety. Yes, there are ninety different types, and they got them there at Enchanted Forest. So don't forget to put that on your calendar. Seid he May thirty. First, get out there and get some tomato taste and done. Watch that contest and you will have a good time. They are located on FM twenty seven fifty nine. Here's the website. This has everything you want to know. Please write this down Enchanted Forest, Richmond TX dot com. Entended Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Let's it out to North Houston and we are gonna if I can find my mouse, we're gonna talk to Ann. Hello, Ann, Welcome to Garden Law.
Speaker 12: Thank you. I have one question for you this morning. I'm at the point where I'm ready to put in some mulch and a new flower bed, and I was wondering if it should be the black mulch or the brown hardwood mulch.
Speaker 3: Either one's fine. I don't like dyed mulches, but there are some mulches that are normally dark colored. But the dyed mulches those artificial eyes natural brown. Yeah, a lot of times dyed mulch is too for other people that are listening. They grind up palettes and then they turn them black or red or whatever color, and that is not a good mulch material.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so black is not a good multch to use.
Speaker 3: Dyed mulch is not a good There's some naturally dark mulches, so just be and dark isn't the problem. But the dyed ones, the ones that truly just look artificially black.
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, thank you very much, have a great day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, Anne. I appreciate you hanging around and get a chance to visit with you. If you are doing containers, and I hope you are on your pa jungle land and it's an outdoor version and an indoor version. I'm gonna talk about the outdoor right now. Jungle land flour and vegetable planting soil. You get you a good pot that has good drainage holes. You put jungle land in it, and you put your plants in it. Add a little bit of fertilizer to it, and you are on your way to success. Jungle Land is made of several sources of decomposed organic matter and the micorize of fungi that work with plant roots to help the plant be more successful, helps fi disease, It helps with drought, resilience, and other things those micorhizal fungi do. I like jungle land because it drains, it doesn't get too sop and soggy wet, but it also holds adequate amount of moisture so you're not under water it every day. Okay, get your good sized container, find some jungle land. You can go to places all over town carry nitrofoss types of products. You know, you go to the Plants for All Seasons high Way two forty nine. You'll find many night foss products there. D ANDD feed and Tomball carries night foss products. Fisher's Hardware down in Pasadena on Sophomore another place where you'll find nino FoST products. Let's end up to the woodlands now and we're gonna be with visit a little bit with Edward this morning. Hey, Edward, are you there?
Speaker 9: Yes, I'm here? HOI? How are you today?
Speaker 16: All right?
Speaker 3: How can we help?
Speaker 9: I've been told and Emperor's tree is super beautiful. I've seen a few pictures. Do they grow well in the Houston area? And where can I get one? We ordered one online but ran it over with the lawnmower, and that was when I was leaving in Caan Antonio. But I'm backed now and was wondering. You know, I think about interest trees.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't admit that I ran over it with a lawnmower, Edward. I would just say I pruned it a little too low. Maybe that would be the way to put it. No, Yeah, seriously, they grow fast, but fast fast growing trees typically are not strong in their wood structure, and sometimes they're not long lived. And impest tree is not a very strong wood structure. I believe I need to check on the cold you're in the woodlands. I need to check on the cold heartiness on that to be sure. I think it's probably okay. But the I generally don't recommend them, and they're hard to find because they're not a recommended tree for the air. Did they produce? They are? They are absolutely super beautiful. I mean, you know, if you wanted to use it as a short term thing for an area to but get it away from the house and everything like that can look, we can see it. But in general, we just don't recommend them. And there are a lot of good fast there's a lot of fast growing trees that we don't recommend. I like that.
Speaker 9: Okay, Well, I'm out trying to make ANX living door dashing today, so make sure you take your door dasher. Have a great day.
Speaker 3: Oh, we always do. We always do. We appreciate that. And uh and as far as uh, as far as the rest of your gardening activities, you just remember pruning shears and lappers are different than lawnmower blades, so uh, don't use your pu in your trees anymore. Edward By, that's a good one. I like that. That's fun. Yeah, it happens. So today, what if we talked about we talked about pruning your tree with the lawn, but we also talked about me and my dogs, my my Golden Retrievers that pruned Peggy Martin down to the almost the ground twice she out outlasted them thanks to a little help for me with some hardware cloth wrapped around the trunk. If you've got metal items outdoors, you can paint them, but that's not the best way to go and it doesn't last. Houston powder coats. Powder coating is a magical process. They put them in this big room and there's there there is a uh, the release of almost a dust like substance into the air that just sticks to the metal and it gives a beautiful coating on this metal. And Houston powder coders can do over one hundred colors. Okay. So I was in their shop one day looking at some of the work that was out there, and I saw something over the corner and it was kind of rusty, and I go, you're all about to get to that one, because they can take rusty metal and clean it up and get it ready for powder coating. They said, no, that's finished, and I walked over to it and someone had picked a really rust looking color for the color of that metal because they wanted it to look rusty. But now it's hanging on the side of a house and it's not running rust stains down the bricks of the house because it's powder coated. That's what I'm talking about. Outdoor furniture, aluminum, patio furniture, wrought iron, cast iron, whatever you got. Here's what you do. You take a picture and you send that picture to sales at Houstoncoders dot com. They'll give you a quock quote on it and they will pick it up. They'll do the job, they'll deliver it. If you're in the greater Houston area, send that picture to get your quote on it. You can call them up two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight, or just go to the website Houston Powdercoders dot com. Check them out on social media too. There on on like Facebook, for example, you can see beautiful examples of the kind of works that they do. If it's metal, if it's outside. Houston powder Coders is the place you need to know about. Gon'll take a quick break and we'll be back with your calls. If you'd like to be one of the first s up, now'd be a good time to call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two five eight seven four Give Alejandro call. He'll get you on the board and we'll be talking to you in just a bit. All right, welcome back. Good to be back with you here on Guardenline. By the way, I was talking about that Enchanted for Us Tomato tasting contest that is Saturday, May thirty. First. I know that's a little bit ahead, but you know you got to get your schedule down two thirty to four thirty pm. I have had some questions about it, and I just want to tell you here's here's what's going on. That you can bring a tomato to enter there in the contest. Okay, Uh, there are you know, there's limits to two entries per category and there's several categories.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: You got to get them there by two thirty to check in and display, and they'll start judging at three o'clock. Uh they will. They're going to have categories for the best the best tasting tomato by the judges, and then the People's choice, the crowd favorite tomato. Uh, the biggest tomato by weight. And are you ready for this? All you seamstresses need to hear this. The best tomato themed costumed creativity encouraged. So whatever that means. You figured out have fun. That is going to be going on. They're going to be judging on taste and appearance and you know, sweetless, acidity, complexity, all that. This is like, this is for the tomato nuts out there. In fact, even if you're not a tomato nut, this gonna be a lot of fun. Go out there and take the kids with you. All Right, We're going to run to Dayton, Texas right now and talk to Marshall. Hey Marshall, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 1: Hey, Skip, how you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey. Yes, I'm question about a plum tree.
Speaker 4: It's it's doing real good, but it's got a little bit of sap coming out of the trunk near the bottom, and I want to know what's causing that and what I need to do to fix that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it could be a borer in the base of the trunk there, or is actually it's called a peach tree board, but it attacks plums because they're closely related. That drills into the base of the trunk and then the tree itself bleed sap because it's a wound that's created. What I would do is take my knife and just scrape the bark back right there. First of all, look for any sawdust in the sap that you might see and scrape the bark back, and if there's a hole, a tunnel or the bug went in, then that's the bore. If there's not, it's just let's say you see some disccolored bark instead of being a kind of a creamy light green color, it's brown streaked or darker. Then that is a kinker, which can occur on plumb trees. There's a number of cankers. There's no spray for the cankers at all. For the plumb borer or for the peach tree borer, you can put some sprays on them, but that's a whole nother thing. I would suggest probably you're not dealing with the borer right now, but if you check and find the whole, you can email me and I can send you information on what to do about it. If you do indeed find the bore, it's going to be a longer term process. Then just you squirt something on it and the boar dies because it's hidden inside the tree. If it's a bore, but I'm going to put you on hold a marshall and let Alejandro give you an email address if you run into that problem. But I do like folks when they send emails with pictures. Go ahead and give me a call on the show to follow up and we can enter it there. I think it's probably a kinker, and I don't think there's a solution other than some fertilizer some water to get your tree as strong and healthy as you can where it can wall off and fight off that problem.
Speaker 4: Okay, I sure appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll put you on hope for a second. If you want to get that email, that is important. Hey, CNA Moltz Ciena Molts down south of Houston near Sienna, your highway six and two eighty eight. What you need to know is the website. Write it down Sienna Maltz dot com, cienamlts dot com. Tell you how to get there, tell you things they carry. You know you're going to find anything. You know I talk about all the time, bronze up before green stuff. The soil is a foundation. You get the soil right, then you plant the good plants and you are on your way to success. Don't grab a plant and PLoP it into an unprepared plot. Get the soil right with Ciena Malts now they deliver within about twenty miles of their location down there for a fee, of course. But whether you want a rose type soil, a vegetable and herb type soil, or whatever you're looking for, whether you're looking for nutrients, microlife fertilizers, Nelson fertilizers, Medina fertilizers, nitrophoss fertilizers, asamite and airloom source products as well. Down at Sienna Malts siennamaltz dot com. That's what you need to know. We're going to head now to Freeport and talk to Margaret. Hello, Margaret, Hello, how are you? Huh? I'm good. How can we help today?
Speaker 17: I wanted to know what the best thing to do for scale on a sega palm.
Speaker 3: Oh boy. Uh So that's a problem. That are your sago palms turning white, especially underneath the fronds.
Speaker 17: Well, it's all on top of it, it's all over.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, horticultural oil is probably your best bet at this point. So what you're gonna do is get a horticultural oil product, mix it up, and then early in the morning for the sun really heats up a lot, or very very late in the day after the sun is going down spray those surfaces, and oil is not a poison. Oil smothers scale, So you you need to have good coverage. If there's a little patch of scale that your oil spray doesn't hit, it will not be killed. So that thorough coverage is important. And on a sago that can be a little bit of a challenge trying to get that oil to it, but that's what you need to do. That will smother h and it does. It does a pretty good job of shutting down the issues with scale. And boy, does does scale ever have have a difficult or is it ever difficult to control the sago scale?
Speaker 17: Do you cut the proms off before you I mean, treat it and then cut them off or what because they're dying?
Speaker 3: Well, once they're once you're losing them. Yeah, once you're losing them, they might as well come off as long as they're still green. I would leave them because those leaves are making sunlight and so you get a little bit of a benefit from that if you if you're gonna spray, remove the leaves, you're gonna remove first so you can get in there with that horticultural oil. And there's a lot of brands of it out there, but not Yeah, it's not Dorman oil, it's horticultural oil. I mean, I could name a brand or two. But wherever you go shop there, if it's a good independent garden center, well you know there's brands like Ultrafine and Organocide and sun Spray, but there are many others. Don't don't worry about writing down the brand. Go to a place and that's what they're talking about, like an independent garden center, and tell them you need a horticleture oil. You're gonna need to spray the entire plant once a week for one month because you never get it all the first time.
Speaker 12: It won't hurt new growth, right.
Speaker 3: Say it again, it won't hurt new but no, it doesn't. But yeah, but that new growth probably doesn't have scale on it yet, and so you can spray it. But I like to spray in the morning when it's cool. Sometimes, when you got an oil spray and you put it on a plant and the sun is baking down and it's one hundred degrees, you're going to get some burn from the oil. But in general I like to go up early in the morning and do that, and you know it's gonna take a while. The scale doesn't scream and jump off. I mean, it's gonna sit there and it'll die and it'll still be on there for a while. But four times once a week apart should get that under control for you. Okay, great, okay, Now do you have more than do you have more than one oil spray?
Speaker 17: What do you mean more than one old spray?
Speaker 1: We hadn't got anything.
Speaker 3: Yet, I'm sorry, more than one? More than one sago palm?
Speaker 17: My b right, No, I think we just we just have the one.
Speaker 3: It Uh No, it's specific to those. But there is a product that is systemic that goes you drench it on the roots, you don't spray it on the scale, and it goes up in the plant and kills the scale that are sucking juices out of the plant.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it's called a safari s a f A R I like an African safari. Uh. And if you can find that, it's not cheap, but it's it's been pretty good. And by putting that poison in the plumbing of the plant, only the things sucking juices out of the plant are killed. And it's not like a flowering plant where you're gonna have pollinators there and you're worried about that. So for a sego that would be another option.
Speaker 8: Okay, so that would that would kill the scale?
Speaker 17: What's out spray at the whole place?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, you bet it would. I'm sorry I got to run, but good luck with that. I appreciate that buchanan NATed Plants in the Heights. I talk about it all the time. Buchanans Plants dot Com is the website. You gotta go there. You gotta look at what they have to offer. It is amazing, in fact, what I like to do. I'm gonna come back a little bit. I want to tell you more about Buchanans because it is a place you really need to visit. And you got to go to the website because it is so helpful. Sign up for their newsletter. I'll come back to you a little more about them in the meantime. Enjoy this little break. I need to get a fresh cup of coffee, and we'll be right back with your questions. If you'd like to be one of the first up, go ahead and get on the board with all one hundred now seven one three two, one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two kt r H. All right, folks, welcome back. Guess what we got more? One more hour of garden Line today. We got one more hour of guard Line this whole weekend. I'll be back next Saturday. We're here every Saturday and Sunday from six am to ten am, so you can call in at anytime. You can listen to us, of course on kt r H seven forty am on your radio. People listen on their computers and even leave it. Listen on the app, the iHeartMedia app. You download that on your phone and take a phone with you. You can go and do some gardening and who knows, maybe you see a bug, take a picture, email it to me. We'll talk about it live from your garden. Here on garden Line. We can do that too. Works well. I was talking about Buchanans for I went in to break Buchanansplas dot com is the website and you need to and here's the reason. It is outstanding when it comes to information about gardening. You should sign up for their newsletter. Their newsletter it's educational, it just really is. I mean, when you go there, you will see why I get so excited about Beginn's plants. They know what they're talking about. They carry things that other people don't. Someone was asking me earlier about some plants for shade that would do well in shade and stuff, and I just was noticing this past week with Buchanan's inland seots. Inland Seots is a clumping grass that has these nodding seedheads that sort of look like oat seed heads, and it does well in the shade. It's spread slowly by rhizomes around and when they dry. I think they're beautiful in arrangements when they dry as well. But it's a good native plant that we can use here. And they have so many options for nice native plants that do well. You want to you want to have a butterfly garden, well, Buchanans has got tons of flowers and things at Butterflies love both the adults, feeding the adults and the larva taking care of the larva. In fact, if you got your pen and pencil out, you know you always should listen to guarden line with a paper and a pen or pencil handy. Because here's one thing I'm not about to tell you. Butterfly host gardening at Buchanan's Plants Saturday, June seventh, ten am to eleven am, right after guard Line's over ten to eleven Saturday June seventh, Butterfly host gardening. It's a free class, so go and enjoy it. Will you will enjoy it. They have excellent programs there as well, lots of other things going on. If you got kids, Oh my gosh, you got to get your kids involved in their summer program. You know, with school out starting in May going all the way through September, there's something to do regularly on a regular basis. On Saturdays, they're at Buchanan's Native Plants for the kids. But if you were on the website or if you were on receiving their newsletter, you would know about that. All right, there you go. That's a public service announcement. Let's head out to Lamark and we're gonna be visit with Sean. Hey, Sean, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Skip. My sister wants to put some nitrofos out. I told her to use the green bag or the gray bag. She wants to use the nitrofoss Whedon feed.
Speaker 5: I told her that that Whedon feed was probably with the Actressine would probably kill the small trees and plants she's planted.
Speaker 3: If she puts out that night asine either sure, yeah, no, need to do that now. Don't do the wheat and feed now atresine, candemnic shrubs and trees. That's why I don't generally recommend it here on garden line. But you don't need a weed and feed now. Yeah, you said gray. I think you meant like the silver gray bag. Yeah, that's the one around now. And if she's worried about weed, get barricade from night to foss and put it out. If you haven't done barricade in the let's say within the last sixty days, you can do another application to extend the weed seed prevention program on into the summer further. So that's an option. If she feels like she needs a pre emergent, I would do barricade, and I would do it now. Not everybody needs to do that, but it you know, some types of weeds will continue to germinate on through the summer, and so that's the way to extend it. But silver bag and stay away from the weed and feed right now, we don't need to be doing that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll tell her that information.
Speaker 3: Thank you, all right, thank you. Now she's your sister, so she listens to everything you say. Right, My sister listens to everything I tell her and believes everything and does everything I tell her to do. I get it, I get it. I'm just playing around with you. You know how it is the families. Okay, well you take care good to visit with you, sir. I appreciate that for sure. Speaking of that Nightropas Superturf, the silver bag we were talking about there, silver or gray, whichever you call it, nineteen four town. It's going to last for sixteen weeks and you can get it down now. If you haven't done a primer, excuse me, good night, if you have not done a slow release fertilizer this summer yet or this spring, go ahead and do that. Get that down now. You're going to find Nitopas Superturf at RCW Nursery. I know they carry it up there. If you go to Laporte. If you're done in the Port South Broadway's got Fisher's hardware. If you're in Sagemont, M and D. Beamer on Beamer is an excellent, excellent place to get night foss products like this super turf. I'm going to head now to a task Asita and we're going to talk to Jim. Hey, Jim, welcome back.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you sir.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 6: Okay. The place is the front yard okay, in the new flower bed, in the whole front yard okay, close to the house. And it is a red star corraline plant tree.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: I bought it in a small container and it's such a pretty plant. What do you think of this plant?
Speaker 3: It's a good one. It's it's one of the foliage plants. And in summer, we have a lot of the blooming options we have in spring don't bloom well in the summer, and so when we use foliage plants in our plantings, we maintain color for a long period of time, whether it's brown or not. And cordline has a beautiful dark dark color, reddish purple, whichever kind of you get. Uh. And that's a good one.
Speaker 6: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: I have a great day, all right, Thanks Jim, appreciate the call. You take care all right? There you have it so talking about different things regarding products in the yard and whatnot. I just think that people need to call Pierscapes just to see what they do. Maybe you're not in the market right now for landscape ork, but go call them because I think you find you may find you are. They do design and installation on the big scale, or they can do you know, smaller scale things. But when it comes to the accessories of the landscape, and by that I mean like you know, a rock walkway, hardescape. In other words, need to improve the lighting around your house, they can do that, a rock border or lots of options like that. They can add those little things that make you want to extend your living area outside because they make it so special. If you've got drainage issues, you've got irrigation issues, they can fix all of that. And don't forget they have that quarterly maintenance where they come out once a quarter. They take care of your beds, They replace color plants as needed. They can do the mulching, improving the mult sprucing it up, making sure the irrigation is working, doing trimming that needs to be done. It's all gonna happen by you going to the website piercescapes dot com are giving them a call. Two eight one three seventy fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh five zero six zero. I will be right back with your calls already, we're back. Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us. Uh listen, if you have not been to Arburgate recently, you need to go. I was out there the other day and I'm telling you the place looks awesome. Of course that's not news. It's always awesome out there, and they have selection like you cannot imagine. Allow yourself some time, go around, drive around to the back the parking lot off Traisher Road behind Arbrogates the way you need to go in, and then take some people with you. First of all, it's a fun outing to get together, walk around, look at plants and talk about. When you find an Arbrogate person there, whether it's Beverly or Kennan or any of the people that are out there walking around, they will take time and they will help you have success. It's not like you know, I'm looking for a what I'm looking for, I'm looking for, uh, maybe a hibiscus, and they go, well, they're right over there behind. No, they walk you over there, they take you to them, they show you, they answer your questions, and because they want you to have success. That's why they're so popular, the selection that they have quality plants that belong here, the fact that they carry things you're not going to find other places, and then the service. The service that they give you is outstanding. Now, Arbrogate is a true gardener's garden center. I mean people drive from all over they Arborgate is well known way outside our area. So while you're there, though, remember the rule. Brown stuff before green stuff. Grab a bag of the organic food Complete. That's an Arburgate product. It's a fertilizer, the organic soil Complete, and the Organic compass Complete. Those three bags help you set the foundation the bronze stuff for success. Now, if you want bulk of the soil or the compost, ask them about it and they can set you up to get a bulk delivery to wherever you live. They'll drop it off for you there. And that way, if you're doing a whole big bed, you don't have to buy eight hundred bags. You can just get a good bulk delivery and do that. Whatever kind of garden you're interested in, from pollinator gardens to hummingbird gardens to just beautiful heat tolerant summer color. They've got you covered at Arburgate. I'm going to head now up to Hempstead and we're going to talk to Jerry. Hey, Jerry, welcome to garden lind.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 18: I have San Augustine for grass, and I've got my Conjr. Growing in one section and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I allowed the stand to grow to about four and a half inches sticking that I would basically had it out.
Speaker 9: Didn't work, Okay, Yeah, dichondra.
Speaker 3: And and you're a are we sure that you're talking about dichondra and not dollar weed? I just want to be sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe it's.
Speaker 18: Not what was completely It's got looks like a clover leaf at the end. It's it's split on one part of the leaf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got you. Okay, Yeah, that's it. That is dichondra.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Dichondra is a challenging weed because it grows way down in the grass. It can coexist even with pretty dense Saint Augustine. You'll normally I say, uh, you know, if you've got a good dense lawn, it chokes out most weed problems. Well, the chondra can survive in a good dense lawn U, so in order to control it, you can use a broad leaf U post emergent weed control product. Uh. There are things like the TRIMEC type products that are put out. You just want to be careful with those that you don't have a a lot of. Like if it's real hot weather and you're trying to control it, uh and you get spray on your Saint Augustine and the temperatures are in the upper eighties or nineties, you can do some damage on it. So you want to avoid that. But otherwise spray in the morning.
Speaker 18: Most of what I've read that will kill him Augustine, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. So I used to h fertile Uh the wet wet eater or something like.
Speaker 16: That didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Well, there's fur yeah, there there is Bone Eyed has a weed beater that is effective on it. And Fernlom has a weed result called fur loan. Gosh, I just want blank on the Fertilom product name. Anyway, those are their multi ingredient products. And like I said, if it's hot weather and you spray them on Saint Augustine, it's very stressful and can be damaging to Saint Augustine. But if you get out like tomorrow morning when it's cooler and you spray them, it's still okay to use those on on your Saint Augustine lawn. You can also use a product called celsius that's a little less of a temperature concern, uh than the the multi products you know, the trimech We call them three way herbicides. They put three different ingredients in because that way they cover more than one of the different weeds that you know you typically have to deal with. So any either way you want to go about it, you can. You can control it. You just have to just have to make sure you get your apply to.
Speaker 18: The Celsius isn't gonna be as bad on the grass in higher temperatures?
Speaker 3: Is that what you're telling me it? Yes, yes, you can go up in temperatures with celsius. Now, any one ingredient doesn't control all weeds, so that that's what you wanna, that's what you want to be careful with. Uh. But with the dichondra, you're gonna you're gonna find goods excess managing it. You know, a number of a number of different ways. There's not just like one product that you can use that will control.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll try that makes sense, it makes.
Speaker 3: Some sense, okay, all right? Uh oh. One last thing. Put a spreader sticker in there. It's also called a surfactant, uh. That is mixed in with it and it helps it stick to those leaves. Okay, all right, I will good luck, Thanks Jerry, appreciate your call. All right. That that will do it. Hey, if you're dealing with fire ants in your lawn uh and anywhere around outside. Uh, night Fass has a product called fire ant Killer, and it basically is a product that will do a quick kill on your fireant. You can put her on mounds and it'll knock them out. You've spread it out in a wider area if you like. But night Fast fire Ant Killer works. It's good to have a bag on hand if you want to go out there. Some mountains pop up. You need to shut them down so you can have a garden party in the next couple of days. Go ahead and get that the Fiant Killer from Nitropos. Like other Nitofoss products, You're going to find it at places like Mott Bellevue Fisher's Hardware. On three FM thirty one eighty they've got it out there. If you go down to Stanton Shopping Center and Alvin, you're going to find it. Lots of places carry Nito foss products, but the Fiant Killer works. And boy are we ever in firence season, that's for sure. By the way, I did a video on Facebook a good while back, is a couple of weeks ago. I think that talks about how to know when to put baits out for fire ants, and baits are also very effective, and it tells you how to know when to apply bait. There's times of the day when it gets hot the fire ants aren't as active out and feeding. So anyway, check that out. Let's go to friends with now and we're going to visit with Bill. Hey, Bill, Welcome to garden line. Lloyes Kip.
Speaker 19: I've got a couple of four year old, uh, Texas pink pomegranate trees. They're about say, eight to nine feet tall. They look really good.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 19: They put out these kind of reddish orange flowers that look like kind of a carnation.
Speaker 3: And none of them sat.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 19: I can't see any stamen on the flowers. I'm wondering what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Not getting pollination on them? Maybe that's interesting. I mean, why would they not set.
Speaker 19: Yeah, they just kind of turn around and fall off.
Speaker 3: And uh, is it after rainy periods? Are you seeing it? You know, after we've had a go ahead.
Speaker 19: We no, I mean it's uh, you know, this has been going on for pretty much their whole life. Uh. They put out the flowers. I've even gone over and kind of you know, rubbed them, trying to see if there's anything I could do to help, and they just turn brown and tall off.
Speaker 3: I don't know if what's going on. Yeah, well, I don't know what to tell you on that one. There is a publication on palm granite on the Aggie Horticulture website right now, the site is down. I was checking it earlier today, but it's Aggie Horticulture and it's just being maintained right now. They're doing some stuff. But when you go back to it, the fruit and nut section has a whole publication on palm grant it that you can download free or just look out on the screen and it goes into a lot of details about those And I don't have it in front of me. I can't pull it up or anything to see what else we might be looking at. But you should be getting some fruit on those things. Palm grants we run into problems even when they have fruit, and we get rainy weather that's kind of hard on fruit, rots and things like that. But no, we haven't.
Speaker 19: I mean it's been pretty drawn. Got an irrigation system that you know, I'm running here, and so they're getting water. I use a thirteen actually fourteen fourteen fourteen fertilizer. I don't don't really know. And the other question I had pertains to a pecan tree I have that volunteered from one of my other pecan trees. Not sure what it is, but it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's like twenty feet.
Speaker 19: Tall, good spread and all that, and it's about nine years old and has not tried to produce any pecans yet. I was wondering whether they just take a lot longer.
Speaker 3: A seedling tree you mean when you say they.
Speaker 19: Well, yeah, it was a seedling tree was in my flower bed and I transplanted it, and gosh, it's got to be about eight inches maybe seven eight inches in diameter at the bottom and just beautiful, but it hadn't put out any pecan.
Speaker 3: So real quick as pecans grow, they mature and just like animals and people and things, they hit a reproductive stage where they're able to have fruit, and so that can be twelve fourteen years down the line on a pecan tree, and it depends on groin conditions and a lot of other things, the genetics of the tree. But seedlings are starting off as an immature tree, and so they have to go through this aging process that takes a good while. That's why people like to buy grafted trees because they can go straight to you know, having fruit pretty soon, as opposed to a seedling type tree.
Speaker 19: Okay, so I should just expect maybe five years or so and maybe it'll start producing.
Speaker 3: Maybe if I more Yeah, and with good conditions, it ought to begin to do that. But yeah, the seedlings are meaniful. They have a central lead or trunk and very very different look than than a grafted pecan.
Speaker 19: It's actually the best looking of a lot of countries. It's grown up straight. You got a nice little spread to provide some good shade in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so let me Yeah, so I was just thinking about your pomegrantited thing too. They don't require pollination. I think I suggested maybe that was a problem that they don't require that they are self fruitful. So I don't know. I do know that when they're younger they don't set fruit. But yours is old enough to where it should be. I've got a run. I'm against some second heartbreak here, but good luck with that. And thank you for the call. Bill. I appreciate that when we come back, Bob and Kingwood, you'll be our first up. Alrighty, welcome back to the Guardline, folks. Good to have you with us. Got so many things we can talk about. If you have someone asked earlier about using a pre emergent and we were talking about you know, well you can do the second application of that now. That is one thing we can be doing. It is also a time to be looking at the gray leaf spot. If you've got a bad situation coming from it, there are ways we can manage that and prevent it. It's time to do your summer fertilizations in the lawn with a good slow release. Need take care of that. Well, I'll tell you where you can go and get all that Ace Hardware Ace Hardware. If you go to the website for my local ACE Hardware group, it's Acehardware Texas. Dot Com. That's this whole region ACE Hardware Tech. I say region because all the way down to Rockport, all the way over to Beaumont, and so on. ACE Hardware Texas dot Com. Find your store and go in there and find what you need to have a beautiful lawn, a beautiful landscape, a bountiful garden, and make it easier on yourself. Get some of their quality tools. You can take care of things and make gardening even more fun than it already is. Acehardware Texas dot Com. Let's go out to Kingwood. Now we're going to talk to Bob. Hey, Bob, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Hey, Skip, give me a minute to give you what I'm trying to get to A nine. You could straighten me out what I use something besides glyco phosphate and round up around my pebble beds around the house where a bunch of weeds come back. While I was waiting, I just did a quick Google search, and sure enough, I guess if I'm thinking about want to get rid of using the glycophosphate, there's a bunch of products out there. So I was just going to use the vinegar salt and so give me some ideas on why not to waste time on doing which ones.
Speaker 3: Okay, vinegar, salt, soap and oils and other things that are sold as herbicides burn the top of the plant off, and if it's an annual plant, that kills it so it does a fine job. If it's a perennial plant, it pops back up out of the ground because they don't translocate down and kill the whole plant. Like glyphosate, which was the original round up dead Now yeah, there is now the over the counter round up is now not glyphis. It is other things. It's three different things combined. They put three in there because each works differently. You know, want to do better on woody kinds of things and so on. But if you want to get off to something else, if you want to get off of roundup onto something else, well, another thing that you can do is get a product with glue phoscinate g l U p h O s I n at E glue fascinate. And here's what I want you to do. If you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com, Gardening with skip dot Com on there there's a number of very hopeful publications. Look at the publication list, you can click on it. There there's a product called Herticide Products for application with skipsweed wiper. If you go to that list, no matter what kind of weed you have, it lists the ingredients that will most effectively control that weed. If it's a woodyweed, if it's a grass, if it's a broad leaf weed, if it's wild onions, if it's nuts edge. Each of those there's different products that I would suggest you would have better success with. So if you look at something that controls grasses and bro leaves like glaphisat or round up did. By the way, there's there's new there's still glavaste on the market. It's just not called round up anymore. But there's one called Gluefascinate, and you can find it in a product called Finale. You can find it in a product called Bioadvanced Weed and Grass Killer. But it isn't quite as effective as the old roundup was, but it does a very good job and it works faster, and so if you had to do it a second time later, you could do that. But that would be an alternative that translocates down and kills the whole plant.
Speaker 20: Is Celsius any safer than round.
Speaker 3: Up Celsius is, yes, but it it is only going to control broad leaf weeds, and you can use in the lawn that's where it has its label for, not flower beds or vegetable gardens. And it won't control grassy weeds or woody, witty kinds of weeds you know, coming up more difficult. There are weeds that are more difficult control and it won't control those. So it's not an equivalent of using roundup, but it does control some of the broad leaf weeds in the lawn.
Speaker 20: Okay, thank you, skip.
Speaker 3: Yeah you bet check that. Check that list out though. I think that'll be that'll be helpful for you. All righty, Nature's Way resources. You know, when I think about bronze stuff, when I think about the foundation for success with your plants, you can't you can't think about that much without Nature's Way popping right up into your head. Because they've been doing this for a long time. Many of the products we talk about in generic ways now started in Nature's Way. You know, things like leaf, molk, compost and wrote saw being two prime examples. Ian Ferguson and the whole team there at Nature's Way are doing a heck of a job maintaining the quality products that they that you would expect from Nature's Way, and the nice diversity of products too. They have products for all kinds of things. Do you want to double ground mult or a rose soil, or a garden and flowerbed mix, or something for acid loving plants like blueberries, or something to grow your citrus trees in. How about a leaf mole compost for top dressing. They've had all of that and way way more. Go to the website and find out everything you need to know, how to get there, how to reach them, how to call them. Nature's Way Resources dot com. Remember every Friday is Fungo Friday. There's a sale ten percent off bags of fungo based compass and twenty percent off bulk fungal based compost. That's a good that's a good savings. So they will also deliver bulk to where you live. We're going to go now to Spring and talk to Charles. Hey, Charles, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 20: High Skip.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 21: So, I've got four bottle brush plants that I planted. I redid the the yard with compost and and and calminure, and I planted them and they're all, they're all dying. And I went online and I tried the I put on some that iron cholly because I thought that might be the problem. But it's not from lack of water or sunlight. They get all full sun and it looks as if they're not getting enough water. But I know that's not the problem. And I thought you might have some advice to help me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can have chlorosis on bottle brush and iron will will help with that. They like they need so moisture to do their best, but they don't want soggy wet feet. So if you dig down with a little hand, trowel around them, maybe go down about four inches or so and feel the soil. If it's starting to be dry to the touch, it's time to water them. If it's still wet, hold off and do well. If you wanted to send me a picture of the plants and what you're seeing, I could take a look. Maybe I'll see something else going on on the picture. But a moderate amount of fertilizer. Don't fertilize them too late in the season, by the way, don't I wouldn't fertilize them past August for sure. They're somewhat cold tender, and so when you push something into late fall growth, you're more susceptible to cold injury when winter hits. So hold off on that. But right now, some fertilizer would probably be helpful. But I'm going to picture on hold, Charles, and if you would like to send me some pictures, I'd be glad to take a look at them. And maybe there's something I'm not picturing that I see in the photo.
Speaker 21: Okay, we'll do all right, all right.
Speaker 3: We'll just hang on one second. Aleandro pick up here. Well, yeah, bottle brush. I love bottle brush. Boy. You talk about a pollinator plant. The honey bees line up down the block to get to your bottle brush trees. They love it. Uh, some are more hearty than others. But we've had a couple of doozy winners in the last five or six or seven that have hit bottle brush pretty hard. And there one of the plants we grow that. I still think we got to grow u. But just be aware that that that can happen here, especially those of you who are listening to me up north. I ten, you know, I know people in Huntsville and college station listening and stuff. It's a little more of a challenge to grow them up there than it would be down you know, I don't know, down toward the coast in Galveston and all out that way. All right, well, let me take a little break here, it's time for that. I'll come back with your calls in just a moment at seven one three, two one two fifty eight seventy four. Welcome back to guard Line. We had a little bit of a glitch. The Gremlins got in for the end of the show today. So we're gonna do We're going to continue to show. I believe that I'm gonna have to hold off on maybe one call we can take. For this last segment, I want to talk a little bit about some of the Nelson plant food products that are available by the jar. That would be the nutri Star products, the color Star products. I've talked about Nutstar of the flour. The color Star comes in two forms. And if you have a plant that flowers an annual flower, perennial flower, shrubs, trees, any flowers and containers are in your landscape. Color Star is a product that has been around for over forty years and it really works. Now. The Colorstar Plus has added fungicide in it, a systemic fungicide to help protect your plants for those fungus susceptible types of plants.
Speaker 6: Either way you.
Speaker 3: Go, you're gonna have beautiful success. It's got slurlease ingredients can give you about three or four months of feeding and they perform and I'm telling you you don't have to day my work for it. They have people all over the country that ordered this stuff to be shipped out of Texas to these other places because they tried to sample. They liked it. They can't get anything like it in their area, and so they called Ian at Nelson Blent Food and say, I need you to ship me colors are And it's that popular of the product because it works. You need to have someone hand because you always got an opportunity to feed something with that quality product. It does work well. All right, Yeah, we're still chasing gremlins, but we I think we got it. We're going to go to Larry and Spring Branch. Larry, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: Sarah, Good mornings. Get I have good morning, and I believe it might be called spur weed. It's got a small yellow flower on it, but it's got these spurs on when you grab all of it, try to pull it out in your fingers. That's for sure.
Speaker 3: It stings it. Okay, got So what you what you're gonna what you're gonna want to do, Larry is, get you a product that has a three way broad leaf post emergent weed control. So that could be things like fertil and weed free zone. It could be boon eyed weed beater. Uh. But there are a number of products that are like that. ACE has one called lawn weed Killer. Those products are hard on Saint Augustine when the weather is warm. But you need to hit it as soon as possible to get control of that spur weed because it's not easy to control what what you're describing. Rather uh and so go early in the morning when it's the coolest time of the day and apply it as a spot treat on those weeds then uh, and and get ahead of them. And see I've not tried celsius on that weed, but uh it may work as well. Uh. But uh, we're kind of entering the time now where those broad leaf herbs can be damaging to Saint Augustine. So early in the morning, cool time of day spot treat and I think that gives you the best chance of success.
Speaker 16: All right, very good. Would it be best to put you apply that to my weed wiper and hit those things individually?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if the weed's up enough where you can grab it with the weed wiper, that would be fine. That minimizes otherwise, just a very low pressure spray so it's not creating a foggy miss that's drifting everywhere. With a spray NOZZLEO. You can also spot treat them that way too, So I've got a lot about the weed wiper. Yeah, if you have a lot of the weed wiperud be a little bit tedious to do for that, but anyway, all right, thanks Larry, I do appreciate your call. Listen, if you've got indoor plants and you haven't potted them up in a recent period of time, meaning you haven't bumped them up to a larger sized pot. Jungle land indoor plant soil is a good one. It's actually called jungle l and water saving potting soil. You just take your old plant out, look around the outside of that root ball, kind of use your fingers or a knife or something to cut away some outdoor roots outdoor outside the perimeter roots that are circling around and then repot it up and it would be good to go. Jungle Land water saving potting soil is excellent if you got anytime you're bumping a plant up from one size to another in your house, that would be a good time to use it. Just remember that his plants get really large for the container. You have to water more often and they're a little more stressed because their root system is just too confined to support the top that they have to support. So it doesn't hurt to bump them up every now and then just to help give them a little bit more room to grow and jungle Land from Nitrofossil do that. You're going to find it at M and D in Clare Lake on barry A Boulevard. You'll find it at Stanton Shopping Center and North Taylor down an Alvin area and up in Brenham at Plants and Things on Highway three sixty five. All of this is carry nitrofoss products and so that's where you would begin your search. Well, it's been an interesting day, kind of wound up today with the gremlins and the system, but we survived it. Thanks for listening to Guardline this weekend. It's been good to talk to you and enjoyed that. We'll be back again next Saturday six am to ten am on Sunday as well. In the meantime, don't forget my website. Skip. My website is gardening with Skip dot com and when you get there, you're gonna find all kinds of helpful things. And so I haven't talked about the updates we've done to the page recently, but for example, there is a publication called Great Gardens Begin with Great Soil. It you know, browns up before greenstop. It tells you all about that. There's one on herbicide products for specific weeds. So if you're looking to kill wild onions in your yard and you can't get them killed, well look at my publication. It talks about what to use for each type of week. Then there's one on lawn Caro one on one on one that is everything you need to know for the basics of a dense, beautiful green lawn.