Speaker 1: We are joined right now by one of my favorite people. He is now known as Dodger Killer, but that is former Dodger Michael Bush and the friendly confines a wriggly field. Thanks a lot for the time and great to see that beard up close and personal.
Speaker 2: Again. I appreciate that been growing up for a little bit now, So thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought it was the Justin Turner influence, but he said, you're a hockey guy, so that's what you're trying to go for.
Speaker 2: We go with a little bit of both, for sure.
Speaker 1: What's it been like being teammates with him again?
Speaker 2: It's been amazing. Yeah, just just spending a little bit of time with him in spring training in the clubhouse mainly, it's been you know, it's been a joy. He's obviously knows so much about the game. He's a great player, he's been around for a long time, knows how to win, knows what it takes, all those things. But he's, you know, great in the clubhouse too. Just all around great player, great human. Yeah. I couldn't ask for anything more.
Speaker 1: So at Dodger Stadium, I saw the same group of hitters that included yourself with Justin Turner and Pie row Armstrong out here at Wrigley Field, same group of guys. What is that group about.
Speaker 2: I'll here early. Yeah, it's it's good. I think there's just you know, guys, you know, know what they need and know what they like to do. And you know Pete myself, and it seems like JT just you know, like getting out on the field. There's a lot of guys who just you know, are out there whenever it's hard. You're playing every day, six seven games a week. Just try and get outside whenever you can see a little velocity. You know, VP's usually armed, So I like to do a little bit of velocity. And I think you know, guys here and there like to pick and choose what they want to do. But it's fun coming out there and you know, getting a little bit of work, having some fun and enjoying the weather.
Speaker 1: So it's not an organized thing with you three. It's just that you all three like to hit early. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think we just kind of established that group a little bit, but you know, we might have to make it an organized thing for for the season.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's not too many times when two teams make a trade that it's a win win for both. But I know you loved your time with the Dodgers and wanted to stay. But how grateful are you for this opportunity to play every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Super grateful. I think you know, it's the it's the business part of sports that just you know, it's a little different, you know, coming over there and you know, being a Dodger for a little bit and then getting traded, mixed of emotions. But at the same time, all I can ask for is an opportunity and and to kind of go out there and you know, showcase my skills and showcase my work and no matter where I'm at, no matter who I'm playing for. But at the same time, I've been, you know, super grateful for just the Cubs and what they've done and what they've you know, given me. And you know, I honestly, you know, I love my time with the Dodgers, but I'm happy to be a Cub.
Speaker 1: What is uh, what is the thing that's clicked for you going back to last year?
Speaker 2: I think you know, it's just it's just learning, learning a lot from you know, older players and what it takes, you know, to stay consistent through one sixty two. I think, you know, in the minor leagues, that was you know, kind of one of the things that I wanted to do. I knew I could do it, and just you know, there's a lot of games, a lot of season, and just trying to be consistent was always something that I've tried to do and tried to learn. And I think last year it was the same thing. I know there's gonna be ups and downs, but you know, just trying to be consistent and you know, you know, try to just you know, improve continuously each and every year, each and every month. I think it's still a growing process, but enjoy doing it.
Speaker 1: When you talk about consistency, aren't you describing the preparation as well? Being consistent with your preparation?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think that's the key is just how do you no matter you know, you might you might face a guy who's nasty, who's you know, dotting up the corners and is a tough, tough picture that day, But how can you just kind of move on from that? And you know know what it takes to just kind of, you know, no matter how well you did or how bad you did the day before, just kind of just go out the next day and just try and you know, keep the same thing, the same thing. It's hard to do. But just definitely learning from the older guys like JT and Belly last year and Nico and Happ and Dansby and you know, I could go down the list of some of the guys, but just learning about, you know, the consistency of kind of what it takes to just not only physically be prepared each day, but but mentally as well.
Speaker 1: Michael Bush is our guest, one of the great guys out there. When you look at when your time at Dodger Stadium with the Cubs on the last road trip for Chicago, when you guys came to Dodger Stadium, you had a great series, but Andy pie Has robbed you of extra bases, maybe a Grand Slam. Did you play with pie Has in the minor leagues? How well do you guys know each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played with him quite a bit. Yeah it was it was, you know, one of that one, right, one of that one would have putt four runs on the board in a close game. But he's a great player. He's a great player, and he's young, and you know, it was I don't want to say it was cool that he took away a home run for me at all, because I really wanted that one. But at the same time, you know, just looking back, you know, got the win. That was what matters, That's what you know. I was kind of a little upset that those were four runs that could have mattered, but we ended up winning, and you know, looking back, you know the fact that he took it away, I was like, dang, but he's a great player and something I'll probably remember for a long time.
Speaker 1: So the Dodgers and Cups have played each other a lot in the first month of the season. These two games are it after Tokyo and La. I haven't talked to you about your experience in Tokyo. Did you like it or do you feel like now you're starting to get into the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, Tokyo was awesome. Love loved the experience, loved the games, loved everything that they did for us. You know, it was cool. And then to you know, showcase what shoh and Seya and Shota and Susaki kind of just where they came from, where they played, and then the culture that they have out there. It was it was really cool to experience that and I can only imagine how cool it was for them. You know. It's it's experiences like that that you know, you show up to the field trying to win, and you show up to the field trying to do your job, but at the same time you can kind of reflect on some of those experiences, especially for them. I can. I can only imagine that it was, you know, a lifelong memory.
Speaker 1: All right before I let Michael Bush go. He has the hockey beard. So I would be remiss as the Stanley Cup playoffs have started not to ask you who your pick to win the Stanley Cup Final? Are the Stanley Cup this year?
Speaker 2: I'm a Minnesota Wild fan, yes, so I hope. I hope they can pull it off, and I think they will. I do. I think they got a good group Caprice office back, but I think, you know, just playoff playoff hockey has always been one of my favorite to follow. And you know, if not the Wild, I hope the Chicago Blackhawks can you know, do it sometime soon?
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go, playing it very safe here at Wrigley Field. Given the Blackhawks a token. I hope. Thanks a lot for the time. You're a great guy. I'm glad We've continued to stay in touch and everybody is rooting for the best for Michael Bush.
Speaker 2: You're the best. Appreciate you seriously