Speaker 1: Yea ripped up.
Speaker 2: News needed.
Speaker 3: That's who you don't have, come running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 4: Come, Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 3: No Tom Martino, Hello, Tom Martino here, welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five here to solve problems and to help me is no one. I do it all by myself. All these other people are just there for show. That's my joke for today. Major Mark Major, I see you there and the streaming can see him lower right corner. We got Major Mark Major. We got Deputy Bow and Deputy Doc. Yes, the three of me, those three musketeers, three stooges. You pick your name, whatever it is. And then we have three here at the home Ship, not the mothership. The mothership is iHeart. This is the home Ship with me. Welcome yours truly, Tom Martine. We have Bob Logan with plumb Line services. And man, are we going to be ready for the heat? He said? Already their phone is ran off the wall, and nobody, not nobody, but hardly anyone takes their advice. Do it early before you need it. You still have some time, but man, you got to get that ac attended to, and of course your ow entire system. Then we have Dimitri Deputy D so we're gonna solve problems. All you guys have to do is you always do, is call us at three o three seven to one to three talk when we're on the er or three oh three Martino twenty four seven. Let's go right to the phones. We got Renee. She wants to talk about an issue with big O' tires. Now, listen, people, I want you to call me before become big. I want you to call me when you need help or you just think is this right? Should this be happening this way? There is no problem in calling too early ever ever. And man, do I have to tell you about some of the romance scams that I've come across, And one that happened to one of my listeners even though he listens, Oh my god, and it started it ended up as a romance scam, but it started as a customer service call. Wait till you hear that one and more. Okay, Renee, I'm Tom Martine. What's going on, Renee? What's happening?
Speaker 5: Good morning, Tom?
Speaker 6: How are you today?
Speaker 3: Good. I'm doing pretty damn good. I gotta be thankful for being alive and healthy. Right now, what's happening in your life?
Speaker 5: Well, it started almost a year ago. I was having problems with my jeep. It's the two thousand fo fifteen Trail Hawk and I live in Elizabeth, Colorado. Trying to help you know now, you.
Speaker 3: Said a twenty fifteen.
Speaker 7: One jeep trail Hawk.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'd never heard of the trail Hawk. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 5: So I was having problems with I'm not sure exactly what was going on. So I took it to Big O's here in Elizabeth, and as it turned out, one of my I think if they said it was a piston was clogged and so I needed a new engine.
Speaker 3: Well, oh my god, Now did you get a second opinion on that?
Speaker 5: I did not, because I couldn't drive my jeep anywhere. It was just not it was thing. I couldn't it.
Speaker 3: Look to what shop? What's the name of the shop?
Speaker 5: I took it to Big O' Tires here in Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, do they new engines and heavy repair and maintenance like that?
Speaker 8: No, they don't.
Speaker 5: And that's the whole thing I mean. I take some responsibility.
Speaker 4: They're all independently owned. Hold on, guys, they're all independently owned. So some of them might. I mean, that's just a fact. I don't know if the one in.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth, Oh, I see what you're saying. Oh, I see what you're saying. So they run the big O flag, but they have an independent shop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, certain things wouldn't be covered by their nationwide warranty. But if they have a good engine tech, they could very well do engines.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: I did end up, so anyway, keep going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I ended up getting a new engine because obviously I needed my vehicle. And ever since I got it back, it's justiscondish hot. It hasn't been running right, Noises were being made. I would take it into the shop, okay, would send it off to a deep A Jeep dealership here in Parker, it.
Speaker 6: Would come back.
Speaker 5: And nothing was ever fixed. I mean, I've been complaining about it for almost a whole year, and now after sending all my paperwork, all the diagnostics, even from other two other independent mechanics, saying that my Jeep's not even safe to drive, they're just wanting to blow me off. I feel they you can bring it to a big old.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's write. Let's go into the hold on. Let's go into the bullet round where I just asked questions. You give me some quick answers. When you took your car and what were the what were the symptoms? What were the symptoms you.
Speaker 5: Were having When I first took it in, it was stuttering like it it would stop running.
Speaker 3: Do you still have the same problem? Essentially? Do you think they actually did the engine or not?
Speaker 5: I believe they did because I questioned that myself.
Speaker 7: I believe they did.
Speaker 5: But when they put I mean my dad and I went to Big O. Had they had the engine old engine out? There was nothing. They had my jeep up in the air.
Speaker 3: Okay, when you say a new engine, I want to interrupt you. When you set a new engine, did they Was it rebuilt? Was it a rebuilt where they take out the old and put in another rebuilt engine? Obviously it wasn't factory new. Right you got a rebuilt engine?
Speaker 9: Correct?
Speaker 5: It had sixty thousand miles on it.
Speaker 10: That's a used engine.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's actually used. See, you got three things. You have factory new, which seldom people do you have rebuilt where they rebuilt it? To new specifications. And then you have what Mark just mentioned, a used engine, and Mark having been in the biz, when you do a used engine, how do they do that with warranties and stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, if you buy it from like LKQ or some other places, there is a warranty that comes with it. Usually the shape will pick up the labor and then get a little bit from say LKAQ or LKQ for an extra amount, will you know, include some labor at a certain labor rate. So it really depends where they bought it. And really that doesn't matter either. It matters what warranty they gave her. What did they give you for a warranty? And then while I'm talking, I want to say one other thing, like what's going on with it now? If it's like the starter or the alternator or the radiator, that's got nothing to do with.
Speaker 3: Anything, right, No, it's okay. So two things, What kind of warranty and what are your problems? What kind of warranty and what are your problems? Those are the two questions.
Speaker 5: The warranty they gave me was the year, and the problems now on what on the on the whole repair of my jeep?
Speaker 3: Okay, one year warranty, right, So why didn't and and and what is the problem, as Mark asked, if it's an accessory, it may not be covered. So what is the actual problem. Did they narrow it down?
Speaker 5: The problem is they didn't. They didn't put my jeep back together like it was. There's missing hardware, there's broken wire harnessed. I mean, it's just when I took my jeep in, it was running perfectly fine other than the engine that they said I needed replace. And I got it back in.
Speaker 3: Well, other than the engine, it was running perfectly fine. Which so right now, where's your car right now? Fine?
Speaker 7: My car isn't I get it?
Speaker 3: Where's your car right now?
Speaker 5: It's in my garage?
Speaker 3: And can you drive it?
Speaker 5: I can drive it, but a couple of the independent mechanics I took it too, so that it was not safe to drive because there's so many parts that are missing, not bolted down, nothing is nothing is right?
Speaker 3: Well right, okay, Well what does big O' say about this? When you say to Big O I had it looked at and people are telling me it's not a complete job. What do they say about it?
Speaker 5: They said, well, you can bring it to a big OASD certified mechanic and will only address the engine issue, which there isn't an issue with the engine.
Speaker 2: As far as I know.
Speaker 5: It's how they put my jeep back together.
Speaker 3: I get it right.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: If it was sloppy, and it was a sloppy installation, and there's a lot of problems, they should address those, but we don't. We're flying blind here. We have no idea what is going on. So we need to have somebody we know and trust lay some eyes on it. You're gonna have to take it somewhere, make an appointment and have someone look at it that we know and love. And I would, I would can offer a few places to you. Uh so one of one of them would be shared in auto tech?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 3: Sure? And you can call Kevin and and he can give you some ideas and I'll give you their number. But Mark, what is Mark? Mark? Uh? Mark's place again on Santa Fe? Damn it? I all all? What is the name of his? A one budget? Yes, thank you very much, A one budget and transmission right or that one would be good. It's on Santa Fe. They know a lot about jeeps, They know a lot about these kinds of issues. A one. What is the actual full name? You can get it for me, thank you. Just if you can get that for me, Mark, you know the full name of his place, budget A one. Call him in. Oh, that's what it is. That's what was getting me the budget A one Transmission and Auto Repair. Thank you very much.
Speaker 12: The official name on the web is budget A one Transmission and complete Autocare.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you're ready, we can give you that number two and you can ask for Mark. Okay, you're ready. Okay, So budget A one Transmission and Auto Repair and Mark is that? Give them the number there.
Speaker 12: Three oh three seven eight one nine eight five eight. That's three oh three seven eight one nine eight five eight.
Speaker 3: Now the other one is the other one. These are just they don't necessarily have to do repairs. Just give it the once over and give us let's see what is wrong and if it falls under warranty. The other is shared in auto Tech. That's Uncle Kevin. That's three oh three four five five seventy two forty.
Speaker 11: Two, a different number on their website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the one that we use for for our referrals. So, uh, three oh three four five five seventy two forty two shared an auto tech. Just call those two. We we also have Kimmer Transmission, you know, Jeff Vic at Kimer. But these two would probably be enough. But there's always Kimmer Transmission, which is Jeff Vic. But I'm not going to get you know, give that number out until you uh get you know, unless these two can't do it. I mean, he's a pretty damn good guy. But that's what I would do first. I would start this and then listen, here's the deal. What you need to do is tell them that we want to know what's going on and what's the story and the installation and all of that. So let's just start there and we will follow this along. I'm marking this down here as pending, and I want you to get back to us and it'll be filed under your name. So when you just say Renee and give us the date, we will have your record. Okay, thank you very much for calling. We have Aaron who wants to talk about public storage. Robert wants to talk about a differential system on his two thousand GMC truck. Whatever you want to talk about. Then we have Bob Logan from Plumbline Services and there's a heck of a lot to talk about with houses, and I got a text about mini splits. There seems to be a lot of people who are considering mini splits now because they're so dang e fisient compared to what they used to be. And I want to tell you that this hour brought to you by waterpros dot net, the best water filtering systems at the lowest prices. If you're looking for drinking water at the kitchen sink, listen to this to around twelve hundred bucks for triple filter reverse osmosis. That's three three eight six two five five five fourapros dot net. Tom Martine here, just a programming note, dude, to o fault to my own I was hesit. I was delayed on starting the YouTube stream. We're up and running on YouTube, so sorry guys. Anyway, I didn't touch anything for sure, it was just a delay. Aaron wants to talk about public storage. Public storage. You know, I always wonder this is a side note. No matter who I've ever known, it never pays to have storage ever. Normally there is so and I'm not talking to Aaron right now, but normally, Mark, have you ever seen someone in their storage unit? There's more junk in there, just like when remember we talked about when people move sometimes what they pay to move stuff is not even worth it. I mean, what the stuff they're moving is junk they're moving. It's almost Yeah, here's where I learned the last logan real quick. When I moved from Parker to castle Rock and then castle Rock to Franktown. That Castle Rock to Franktown, we found boxes a crap we didn't even open from the move where we moved there right right right, And you got a figure man if you didn't use it in that amount of time. Bob, how do you stand? Are you a hord or type or are you a pretty minimalist Bob Logan? What are you?
Speaker 10: It depends if you ask Jackie or myself. I don't think I'm a hoarder. We're pretty much minimalist. But there are certain things that I tend to hang on to sentimental value, even though give me.
Speaker 3: The example of something is sentimental, like a diploma or something, or a certificate.
Speaker 10: Yeah you know things like that or or or things that the kids made for you when they were younger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they're.
Speaker 10: Not hanging on the wall the refrigerator, but they're in a box and you hate to throw them away because because you're kidding now for you, I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what's Aaron store story? Public storage? Let's uh, let's do no judgment here, just talk about the problem. So, Aaron, what's going on with you?
Speaker 13: I'm going, sir, I'm here with my partner. We're dealing with a storage issue.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 3: She's on the line with me here as well. Okay, Hi there, Okay, Well, either either one of you can tell us the story. What's going on? I'll hand it off to Jen. Thanks, okay, thank you, Eric.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, we have to.
Speaker 6: It has to do with my new unit that I had at public storage, and all of a sudden, I showed.
Speaker 14: Up last week and on Thursday, I think it was, and I had a notice on my unit to vacate within three days, which actually by the time I got the letter it was almost I only have Friday basically to move out at one day.
Speaker 3: All right, now, is your name? Is your name? Jen? Is your name Jen? Jen?
Speaker 6: It's Jennifer, but you can call me Jen.
Speaker 3: Jen. Okay, Jen? Jen? Okay? Jen? So when you when did you go there because you got the notice or did you just happen to see the notice.
Speaker 5: Now I just went there.
Speaker 6: I just happened to see the notice.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you pass the three days? Did you pass that three days by the time you saw it? Hey, where is this storage? You know?
Speaker 2: I had?
Speaker 5: I had.
Speaker 6: It's a w and Santa Fe.
Speaker 4: Did we have someone call the other day about this same one? It sounds like the same Is it the same one issue?
Speaker 7: Same?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 3: I started digging into that a little.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, a lot of it's kind of off the record, but ownership saying people were having like sex in there and stuff. This isn't a cut and dry whatsoever.
Speaker 3: What Yeah?
Speaker 6: When Wow, it's really crazy because there's there's I'm hardly ever at my unit, so there's not a chance that anything illegal would.
Speaker 7: Be going on there.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's mark.
Speaker 3: What did they say they said it was set up for like living or what? What did they say?
Speaker 4: I'm not saying ship that. I'm not saying they said anything. I am saying it sounds like there were people living there and possibly having sex there.
Speaker 6: Wow, I have no idea in that case.
Speaker 4: Now, wait a minute, you've never hold on, you've never heard those rumors going around there not you personally.
Speaker 6: No, No. The only thing that I was when I was at my unit one one night when actually after I had switched units, I switched to a new unit, and I was, you know, really like organizing everything, you know, getting into a new unit, and a lady had drove by and of course she saw us out there or whatever, and she said, someone just called and told me that they thought they saw some people having sex and we're going over Why.
Speaker 3: Were you there at night just out of curiosity?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know if it was like night night time. I mean I think it's around dinner time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So yeah, where does this stand today? Where does this When you called in on the thirteenth, you got an eviction notice and we called Sue's called Mark talked to them maybe, but the bottom line is they say you were violating your lease. So where does it stand now?
Speaker 6: Where it stands now is that I'm out of the unit now and.
Speaker 15: Barely got out of the unit.
Speaker 6: And because I didn't know, you know, I only had like barely a day notice, all right, and and a new units with somebody else. Okay, That's that's where it stands down, Except.
Speaker 3: For so what what were you calling about today.
Speaker 6: They well, they didn't. They didn't let me know how I violated. For one, they didn't let me know any if. They haven't told me anything. Actually, they haven't even responded back to me regarding how I violated. Supposedly, they also have have sent me curtesy because I was when I was on Friday, when I moved out, I was like late getting out of there because I was trying to get all of my belongings. So they send you a courtesy reminder, you know, saying please don't stay after hours. Well, so they sent me that as well. They sent me a new bill for July, even though they said they terminated me already. So they're sending me new bills and everything even after they terminated me.
Speaker 3: Okay, now you don't have to play the bill.
Speaker 13: We have a we have an insurance claim.
Speaker 3: There's an insurance.
Speaker 15: Claim from the water.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and there's an insurance Well hold on.
Speaker 3: They're not. They're not responsible for damages. They're not responsible for damages unless they go ahead.
Speaker 6: No, no, they're not. But the thing is, how are how are they going to also terminate me during the time that I just made a water damage claim on my unit.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, let me explain something about storage storage facilities. Well, let me just explain this. It just Aaron, hold on a sec or gen just hold on one sec. Bottom line is this when you have a storage unit, Okay, it's very important you look at the terms and conditions most of the time. Unless they are out and out negligent and contribute to it, they're not responsible for any damage whatsoever. And then when you have stuff in storage, your homeowner's insurance will no longer cover it either, except unless you actually have that kind of coverage. So I need to know, is this How did it get damaged by water? Was it water flowing on it or was it coming in through the bottom and the bott the floor where? How was it damaged?
Speaker 6: Well, it was damaged from all the rain we got last week. So it ended upsturing a hole to this and so it doesn't matter. I have the claim in to the insurance that I paid for through plub the floorage to have it repaired.
Speaker 7: But it was just really odd the way that it.
Speaker 6: That it went down. Because they were just at my unit, you know, and took pictures of the water.
Speaker 3: Did well are you are you saying they did it on purpose? Are you thinking they did it on purpose? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, I think become a new manager a couple of months ago and she has gone out of her way to just being not very nice.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you know, no, no, I understand. But what do you I'm asking, I'm asking what you're thinking. I'm asking, bottom line, what do you think that they owe you and it's their problem to fix? Did did other people around you also have damage the problem?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't care about the problem. For one, I don't care about the problem.
Speaker 6: As long as it gets fixed and I don't get charged for it by public storage, then I'm fine with it because the claims in.
Speaker 3: As long as as long as what gets fixed? What do you mean get fixed? What are you talking about get fixed? Arin? Well, what do you care about that? But what about what do you I.
Speaker 6: Don't care about that? That one my half month rinds back because they shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have Okay, got it read. That's what I'm getting at, And you should get it back. If they charged you for the next half month and you weren't there, you should get that back. Let me have Deputy dot call over there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, legally, this give me ten days is where I.
Speaker 3: Found out right, that's right on months to months.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if that's true on the storage unit, guys. I mean, let's ask brad Well.
Speaker 6: I just the unit. I just the lady told me. By law it's ten days. She has to give her her tenants ten days.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's find out, Deputy Doc. Could you call over to them and ask them if they would refund that half a month. That's really the bottom line. She just doesn't think it's fair she was charged for that. Did you clarify on the new unit that you have what kind of coverage you have? Make sure you know what kind of coverage you have. Hold on a second, Deputy Doc. He'll call over there and see if we can get them to refund or credit that three oh three seven one three eight two five five seven one three eight two five five Okay. So what we're gonna do there is switch over to Deputy Bow. He's going to stop at public store and see what he can find out. Let's go back to the phones again. Your calls are very important to us. Thanks for waiting.
Speaker 5: Duke.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about body damage? What's going on? Duke?
Speaker 13: I had a rental RV kind of dive in to try to park on a curb in front of me. I wasn't in my vehicle, but they damage the front bumper and a headlight. But anyway, the companies wanting to provide me with aftermarket parts, and I swear I've heard you talk about this and that I don't have to im that is that the case?
Speaker 3: No, Now, here's the case, Duke. There is no real like actual statute on this. But here's the principle, the principle which has been upheld by many cases, and that is they have to put you in pre accident condition. Now, in the past, some of these cases have ruled that even though it's not oe M, the parts are just as good and they put you in pre accident condition. But others have argued just the opposite end of one as well, and that is where the after market parts were not as good as OEM.
Speaker 4: So here's all going to come down to his contractual agreement.
Speaker 3: It's going to be in that agreement.
Speaker 13: Well, I don't have it.
Speaker 3: But here's the no. No no, Mark, Yeah, I wanted to explain that to Mark. I think you misheard. So Mark, the RV the RV Company was the other company that hit him. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So on this one, though, Duke, it really comes down to a case by case basis. We have had many cases where after market parts are just as good as OEM, and on a used car with a few miles on it, no court is going to say, hey, sir, you deserve absolutely factory new parts and they can't give you after market so it. And also, by the way, most of the time I'll actually try to get used parts, which are perfectly fine would be used OEM. So your choices, your choices are these. You have used OEM parts from the junkyard, you have OEM parts from the manufacturer, or you have after market parts, whether new or used. So which here's the most important part. Which part of your vehicle are they proposing after market parts? What part are we talking about? Or parts? Okay, And now, first of all, I would have no qualms with getting an aftermarket part unless this is a cherry of a vehicle and it was pristine and there's a reason for it. So you have a twenty sixteen, What about the how many miles on it?
Speaker 13: Forty eight thousand?
Speaker 3: Wow? Crap, you only have forty eight thousand miles on this?
Speaker 13: I just bought it from a guy and his wife had died, so that he'd had it in his garage for a while.
Speaker 3: Wow. So have you even looked at the bone? Okay? So what is the price difference between the aftermarket and the genuine? Did you see?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bet Brian Burns would know the answer to this man he sells. In fact, he sold me my RV policy.
Speaker 3: So that's a good idea, Mark, let's get compass insurance. Go ahead.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it was nine difference.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't do Here's here's my feeling. I would. I would want to know the difference if you know it's worth going after. But I is there a reason? And I'm just asking straight up, is there a reason why you don't want it? Do you know for sure that the aftermarket dealer that they're dealing with or distributor is bad? Have you heard bad things about it or what? What is your what is your reasoning? One of them is that it's pristine for damn sure? Right? I mean that sounds like you want you want to keep it pristine.
Speaker 13: Well, that's that's the main reason obviously. I Mean I've had aftermarket parts where the fit was just wonky, you know, And no I don't know the market quality. That's one thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. You have one thing that you do have a right to do is after it's done, to protest it. But as far as negotiating, because it's all going to come down to the finish and fit it really is. Do you know what body shop? Are you allowed to use your own body shop?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I've already got that picked out. My mechanic has a little body shop that he works too, and I've been going in.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, you know, So what does your mechanics say? Well, what does your mechanics say about this? What does he think?
Speaker 13: Well, he said, I can wine and cry all I want, but they can do it based on the age of the vehicle. But that doesn't make any sense to me because I could bring in a three year old vehicle with eighty thousand miles and probably get Well.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's go backwards.
Speaker 4: Let's let's say it was a nineteen fifty seven Chevy. I mean, you're not going to find an original OEM.
Speaker 10: So then what.
Speaker 13: We'll see, Duke, maybe and what could here all day?
Speaker 3: Here, here's what it boils down to, Duke, Here's what it boils down to not what you want, but what is equitable under the law. And equity under the law is sometimes different than what we think, just like when it comes to depreciation stuff. Hold on, let me put it a different way.
Speaker 4: What's worth more a twenty year old OEM bumper or a brand new aftermarket bumper? Which one would you pay more for?
Speaker 13: Well, what's worth more a two year old vehicle with eighty thousand miles on it or a nine year old vehicle with fifty thousand miles on it.
Speaker 3: That's Kelly, both right, You're both right. It comes down to value and what you're getting. Hold On, I got to take this break, but I think I have a quick solution to start with right after this. Hi, Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three oh three, seven to one three talk all right? So I was looking this up. It all comes down to fit, finish and quality. There is no such thing that forces OEM unless you can actually show that the OEM is substandard. Now, there are some people that are just meticulous and want OEM, and others are willing to take the others. The way I would handle it, Duke is I would let them do the repair and then inspect the final job. That's the way I would handle it. However, you have a right duke to go out and get an estimate using OEM and sue the other driver in small claims court for the OEM price period. You don't have to deal with their insurance company. You're not required to do anything like that, so you can simply say I'm not going to accept this. That's it. You're just not going to accept it, and then you're going to sue them for the price. And what they're going to do is yell and scream at their insurance company why am I be ensued? And the insurance company they'll most likely huff and puff and tell you have to take what you're going to get, and then you say no, and then you continue your small claim action. That will sometimes get it done in some cases, though insurance companies get real jerky about it. But that is your number one option would be small claims court. But I would personally first, if it was me, personally check the final repair so let us know how it goes. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five more coming up on the Troubleshooter show, Ripped up news.
Speaker 1: You need advice, so you don't help come running just.
Speaker 3: As as as we can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help coming.
Speaker 3: Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hey Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Let's solve your problems. Answer questions, take complaints, make your life a little easier. Larry wants to talk about comcasts and a billing issue. Whatever is on your mind, call us and call us before the problem gets bigg and out of hand. Today as a guest, we have on Bob Logan from Plumbline Services, and we do have a question here real quick here, Bob, how they somebody wants to know with a mini split. And for those listening, a mini split means just what it sounds like. It's a miniature heater and air conditioning unit. And it's split meaning there's a head unit that goes on an exterior wall that you access from inside your house with a remote control so you can turn on heat or air, and then that unit is connected to the guts of the unit, the compressor and all of that stuff remotely located. And that's why they're called splits technically though technically and I don't want to get too technical here, but aren't all units kind of split? Really? I mean, you know, like our conventional furnace has the entire unit inside the house, so that's not split. But what about air conditioning. Isn't that always split? Don't you always have a condenser outside?
Speaker 10: You do, and even a four stair system is called a split system.
Speaker 3: So okay, So so you do have some of the guts outside and some of it inside. This is a completely standalone unit where you can you don't need ductwork or anything. The air is introduced through the unit on the on the wall, the exterior wall, and that exterior wall unit is the head of the unit, and then it extends outside to the guts of the unit. Okay, using very basic terms.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, So if you have a standard air conditioner, if you looked, there's a what's called a line set coming from the air conditioner going into the air handler or the furnace and the uh on a mini split, like you said, there's a small head that is typically on the wall, sometimes it's in the ceiling. Yeah, but there's still a line set that goes out to the outside.
Speaker 3: So if you were to look at a mini split from the outside on the exterior wall, you would see something jutting.
Speaker 10: Out out on the wall.
Speaker 3: It would be well, I guess well, I'm saying if you went over to where the mini split was on the living room wall, yes, and you were on the outside, you'd see a tiny jut out of.
Speaker 10: That wall, yes, and a line coming out of it, and that line.
Speaker 3: Would go down to the guts of the system.
Speaker 10: Correct.
Speaker 3: Now, somebody wants to know now that we've described this as a mini split, it's smaller than usual, and there's the head unit on the wall and the guts somewhere on the ground near the house. How far can you go? Somebody said they need a mini split on a third story. How far can you go with that split system?
Speaker 10: Well, it's a so it's a closed loop system. So really, and I need to verify this because as you know, I'm not a technician, but I don't think there is a distance.
Speaker 3: It's just that it just has to be a closed Look, it's just.
Speaker 10: Like running, say a water lined there's you know, you got point.
Speaker 3: I understand. As long as it's enclosed and functioning properly, so they could easily put the head up on a third floor exterior wall and have the guts on the ground below it.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 3: Okay. My next question is can you have more than one head per guts? So if you have the big the guts outside on the ground, can you split off to more than just one head for one room?
Speaker 10: You can. Some of the systems do adapt for multiple heads, and so you know, it depends on what we what you have. If you have an older system that is just made for one head, you cannot add heads right.
Speaker 3: Right, But if you put in a brand new system system, you can put in multiple heads for one one set of guts, so to speak.
Speaker 10: I think you know most of the ones that we sell our three head systems. I think there are.
Speaker 3: Oh really, so you sell routinely three head systems. So they do three different areas of the home?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 3: And is that thermostatically controlled?
Speaker 10: It it's controlled by remote like you said.
Speaker 3: No, But what I mean is, but do you have thermostats set in those areas if you want to leave it automatic? You do not? Ok Oh? Okay, so you.
Speaker 10: You set the temperature on each head.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you would set the temperature by your remote for each head, so you can have three different areas heating and cooling, in three different ways, correct, all right? That you know. I'm fascinated by mini slits because what it does is opens up a whole new world for people who want to add heating and air and they don't have duct work. It really solves a lot of problems. But you have to have an exterior wall to to install it. All right, Larry, you want to talk about Comcast? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Larry?
Speaker 15: Yes, I'm a seasonal Comcast customer. Back in I go to Arizona in the winter time.
Speaker 11: I've been doing this, okay, and.
Speaker 15: Back in where they send me a final bill of thirty five dollars and thirty three cents, and I went online.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when you when you go back and forth, Larry, let me ask you this, when you go back and forth, do you turn off your system here while you're away? Yes? Okay, keep going.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 15: And then they send me the bill, the final bill for thirty five dollars and thirty three cents, and I paid it through bill pay at US Bank and I let it go at that done. A month or so later, they start saying of it that I did not pay them, so I file online. You can't talk to anybody. They won't talk to you.
Speaker 3: They won't let to explain.
Speaker 15: And so I go online with comcasts and I say, this is a bill, it's a transaction. It was US Bank, this is the routing number, this is the account number, and I paid it, and then you don't hear anything from them, and they send me back says we're looking at it. And then if I remember, it looks like they took me off there. And now it's about six months later and they put me back on that I own thirty five dollars. Somebody won't They just won't talk to you. I won't listen to you if it was.
Speaker 3: But how many how many times did you how many times did you pay this thirty five dollars?
Speaker 10: Oh? Just once?
Speaker 3: Okay? And are they now saying you still again?
Speaker 15: Let it really confuse them?
Speaker 3: Right? So right now, what is your account show?
Speaker 15: It shows that I own thirty five dollars some thirty three cents and they turned it over to a collection agency.
Speaker 3: Even though and what do you have as proof of payment of this money?
Speaker 15: A US Bank transaction statement showing the day it cleared it went to comcav And.
Speaker 3: When you send that, okay, when you send that to them if you send that to them and say, hey, I paid it, here's proof, I mean, my god, what do they do? Well?
Speaker 15: Then I got an email back saying that, well, okay, this concludes everything. We'll look at it. We'll either going to give you a credit or you'll have to pay the bill. And that's the last started it. Then I say, I all the money.
Speaker 3: Again, that's ridiculous. I mean, this is now, Sus. I believe we have an angel over at Comcast or someone who will listen to us. I don't know if Sus is listening right this minute, but Mark, don't we have an angel over there or someone or Katchina that we can call and they usually resolve issues like this. I think what we ought to do is try to get this over to someone we know at corporate and see what they can do about it. Larry, I have no idea why it's getting bounced back and forth. It shows you paid it when you when you call him and contact him, they say, okay, everything's cool, and then a few months later it shows up again. That's basically what's happening, right.
Speaker 15: I think they know what the problem is.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 15: When you shut down your account, they open up a new comet from you. And so when I re leave them through US Bank and went into the long account, it went into my old Comcast A cone.
Speaker 3: I get it. I prod that. You know, why do they do that? Why don't they just suspend your account? Why don't they just suspend it? Why do they?
Speaker 15: Yeah, they they used to do, but you have one. The confuses everything is they give you a new account, and I could tell them what they kill it went to. I can give them a date, I can give them a transaction. I could show everything.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think we need to call over there. We need to call over there. You know, here's what we're going to do. Let's see, I was giving one to Doc went to bow. Now let's just go, hey, Doc, here's what I'm thinking. If you work with Susan Kachina, I believe we have a contact over at Comcast, we can call for this poor guy and get taken care of. This is just what you call red tape. My god, it's amazing to me, with all the technology we have these days, how things continue to be screwed up. But listen, sometimes what it takes is the human touch. So hang on and I'm going to have deputy Doc. Doc. Are you there? Do I see you there? Yeah? Yeah, you're there. I see you all right, Bro. What I'm thinking is get from sues or Kachina. We have an angel, I believe over at Comcast who will take a look at these things and then let's get a call over to help this guy. Well, it is frustrating as hell, all right, thank you. Threeh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Listen, folks, if you're looking for a beautiful walk in shower, renew Home Innovations has the porcelain sided shower with sheet porcelain. I can't explain the beauty of porcelain until you see it. Especially add that no maintenance, no repairs, no grout lines. You can do your entire bathroom, you can do just the shower, you can do any part of the backsplash, whatever you want to do. They do it in two or three days, with months to pay, with no interest. That's renew Home Innovations dot Com. Three oh three nine zero four two thousand. Always lovely having Bob Logan in the house and Bob. Someone wants to know at what year now? I don't even know what they mean. At what year I mean, I imagine they are saying, how old do you start considering replacement of AC and does it always have to be done with the furnace is? What is the word on that? I would say my personal opinion is fifteen years before you start looking at replacing.
Speaker 10: If you've had an annual maintenance and it's been well maintained every year, then yes, maybe twenty years time, right, fifteen to twenty years. If it hasn't been maintained, we typically say about ten years when you should start looking. Now. Again, it's just like an automobile, right, It's you can't just look at the age or the mile is on it. One one's been maintained well, the other one hasn't been maintained well. There are a lot of factors that go into it. But my my opinion is when when the cost repairs just don't make sense, When when you're constantly taking time off work, your system is not keeping the house cool or warm, and it's just becomes a give give.
Speaker 3: Me a load of high. Now, give me a load of high on the complete system replaced from low to high.
Speaker 10: Well, let me go answer the other question first, So you do not have to replace the furnace and the air conditioner at the same time. We highly recommend it, especially with today's technology, because all the systems are communicating between the furnace, ac the third want them all together, Yes, it it'll to me, it makes sense. Very rare occasion, and we would not recommend that. But so high to low in.
Speaker 3: The market, in the market, not just you guys, but in the market. What are you seeing in high to low?
Speaker 10: Well, you can always get a handyman to install it.
Speaker 3: Well, of course, call us.
Speaker 10: Back to get it repaired or no, I know it's back in five years to replace it because it failed.
Speaker 3: But the units themselves are going to start.
Speaker 10: For a reputable company, yeah, you know, the full system, say fifteen thousand, and then for a single system, say fifteen to thirty.
Speaker 3: Thousand, okay, and the thirty would be all the bells and whistles.
Speaker 10: You can get right on that on that one system. And of course if you have multiple systems, then you're into a whole other because many homes, not many, but a lot of homes have two systems, and then some of the bigger homes have three or four.
Speaker 3: So right now, if I put in a system for fifteen grand, I'm going to get more and I maintain it, surely I can get more than fifteen years out of it. That would be one thousand dollars a year pro rated.
Speaker 10: If if you have a professional come out and maintain it every year. Yes, and you've changed your filter regularly and do the things.
Speaker 3: So most of the time, the longevity of a furnace is how you keep it basically right.
Speaker 10: You know again that so many people do not change the filter often enough. They don't they don't use the right filters. If you have pets, that's gonna or are you live in a dusty, dirty area, say more in a rural area where there's a lot of dust and dirt, you know that it's gonna just naturally cause more damage to the system over time.
Speaker 3: Now, Cheryl wants to talk about a rental property. Something's going on here, Cheryl, what's happening with you?
Speaker 2: Yes, let's see where do I start. Okay, I'm gonna try and keep the suck, saint the dust that I can't have. A rental property ended up with damage a leap from being under the toilet, had a great amount of damage. In my lease for this rental property, it did state quite often about the tenant being responsible for it. But I was a nice guy and didn't push it the cost on the tenant. Yet other part, my insurance doesn't seem to say it says that they do not have to cover any of it. Yet I'm sitting here looking at the rite up from my insurance company and there's a couple of sentences here that say they should be covering part of it.
Speaker 3: Why don't you explain what the issue was? Yeah, here's what we want to know, Cheryl. You have a rental property. You're the landlord. Now tell me what tell us exactly what the damage is. When you say you had damage near the toilet, What is the damage? What tell me how it's caused?
Speaker 2: Toilet leaked? It was listed as a broken pipe and the seal Where.
Speaker 3: Did it leak? Where did it leak? Did it leak under where the seal is?
Speaker 10: The toilet was?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Is it the toilet above her leaked down into hers? Didn't your other neighbor on top of a leak as well?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, Okay, it's a single family home, got it. No, it just moved downstairs into the wall.
Speaker 3: Got it? The other right, Cheryl, Here here's what I want to tell you. Homeowner's insurance. This is this is a really complicated issue for some people. Homeowner's insurance is not a warranty. It does not just fix things or pay for damage unless there is an event associated with it. If you had leakage over a long period of time, it's not going to cover you, Okay. It only covers like catastrophic event or sudden and unusual events. It doesn't cover normal repairs and maintenance. So it depends on how this leak started and how long it was going on. There is no simple answer. Sometimes water damage is covered. Most of the time it is not covered. But now, going beyond that, let's talk about the tenant being responsible. If this is something that is hidden and something that is in the wall, a tenant would never be responsible for your internal plumbing. We got to get a better picture as to what's wrong with this, Like how long was that tenant inside that apartment? How long have you been renting to that tenant year and a half? Okay, Now do you think that tenant caused that damage? Probably not? Okay, so you probably they didn't you were you? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead? No, no, no, that probably not they weren't aware of it, so they were yes, So how much.
Speaker 3: Have you had a bit on what it will cost to fix this?
Speaker 2: Oh, I've already had it done.
Speaker 3: I've had to How much did it cost? How much it cost?
Speaker 2: About twenty two thousand?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, oh myrd What was done?
Speaker 2: Well, the one big expense was putting up the tenant into a different home because it became unlivable. There was only two bathrooms and both athoms were screwed up. He could have stayed there, but he was just insisting that it was impossible to stay there. There had been sumbled, not a lot. The mitigators went into the tune of seventy or six hundred, something like that and overly tore up the house. So it was not that comfortable to be there. But the mold and everything was gone, the leaks were fixed. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: No, more right, you got. I'm telling you, I hope you might have been a victim here, Cheryl. Where they charge, they always charge you forself. It's hard. It's hard for me to say that now that it's all done. But here's the good news. It's all done. You're out twenty two grand. Let's try to figure out who would be responsible for this more than that, more than that because.
Speaker 2: I opted to have the water system. Whoever put the water system in the house.
Speaker 3: At one point did not do.
Speaker 2: A really good job underneath the house, really not relating to the toilet at all, and I had that whole system reach so you upgraded.
Speaker 3: Okay, but that well, how much was just how much was just how much was just the leak, just the leak getting that fixed and the mold? How much was that.
Speaker 2: About? Realistically over maybe twenty five hundred I'm thinking twenty five I mean thousand, like twenty five thousand, totally okay, including putting him up at a place for forty four one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: All right, here's what I want to do. I want to get compass insurance on and I want to talk about some of these expenses which should be which I think sounds like it should be covered if you you did have a landlord policy, right, yeah, Now, even though the cause of the loss may have not been covered, it sounds like there should be some coverage for temporary housing and stuff like that. Mark, don't you think that some of these rental policies would for that?
Speaker 4: I don't know to me like, I don't know if they do or not. Honestly, I would doubt they do. Actually, well really, okay, Yeah, what's your readon.
Speaker 2: In front of me? Loss of rent? Yeah, meaning loss of rental income to you from that part of the described location at the time of loss. Less expensive.
Speaker 4: But that's uncovered the way want that's un acovered event.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it has to be a covered event.
Speaker 10: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't know. Sometimes, Mark, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, or there's a limit. But but Cheryl, I have another question. Lack of rent. They should have been paying full rent if you provide a temporary housing. So are you telling me they stop paying rent?
Speaker 2: No? I did get their rent.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, hold on, Cheryl, Let's put her on hold. Let's get Brian or someone from Compassing Insurance to talk about this. It's really important to differentiate these losses because so many people have these kinds of losses and they're wondering what does homeowner's insurance cover. Again, there's a big confusion between warranty and insurance and where they differ. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show, but this is important to differentiate three O three seven one three eight two five five. So let's try to get compass on K and H. Home Solutions now does painting as well, so they have beautiful exterior products for your home, window, siding, doors, and more. And they also have painting pros Khwindows dot Com. Tom Martinez here three O three seven one three eight two five five. All right, So Bob Logan is with us from Plumbline Services today Plumbline services for plumbing, heating, cooling, electric entrains. Somebody wants to know and I this is my word, not the texture, but I discerned what they want. Can you waste efficiency when you put in a system? Sometimes? Is it worth going really efficient if your home is not really efficient? That's a really good question. I mean, if you have an older home and you have just an older home with maybe not the best installation, not the best windows, not the best everything, aren't you wasting money if you put a high efficiency in?
Speaker 10: Well not necessarily the system itself is still going to run more efficient.
Speaker 3: Well, sure, but can you is there a point where it's not worth it?
Speaker 10: I mean, I mean again, there's just so many factors, windows and insulation, you know, everything else.
Speaker 3: But I personally believe if you're going to do a furnish, you should go the extra mile to the caulking in and the windows and the other. So, I mean, I really do believe that if you're going to be in the house a.
Speaker 10: While, Yeah, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Insulation is another one. You know, most people living in their home for years and years and don't even think about the end in their attic, and so many times getting new insulation will help to make it.
Speaker 3: Can you still do an eighty percent efficient or do they still sell?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So is that the lowest, right? Eighty percent?
Speaker 10: That's correct?
Speaker 3: And then at this altitude it's not even eighty right, that's all sea level.
Speaker 10: Eventually those will go away. But and also your your system will diminish over time, and so if you bought an eighty percent er, say ten fifteen years ago, it might only be running it says sixty five percent efficient right now, hey Bob. Those so they do diminish overtime.
Speaker 4: On the high on the higher efficiency ones where they have to add that PVC pipe. I know when I got my new firmace years ago, they had to add that pipe and run it out on the lower efficiency, does that still have to be added if something happens to be in a weird place where running that pipe to the outside would be insane to new low efficiency or eighty percent still need that PVC pipe, they.
Speaker 10: Do not, And that's one of the reasons why you might stay with an eighty percenter if the venting is too hard to that.
Speaker 3: Extra PVC for the PVC is.
Speaker 10: For the seal combustion.
Speaker 4: For time, we had somebody, we had someone whose utility room was in apparently in the middle of their basement, and in order to get that PVC out through these big cement cylinder walls not only in the storage area, but then the basement walls costs more than the whole damn high efficiency furnace.
Speaker 10: It was now I know, right, And in that case, we would recommend staying with an eighty percenter. My my house and Castle Rock that that I just sold, I just replaced those systems four years ago and put eighty percent in those for that same reason. Now mine mine was because the basement was completely finished and and I didn't want.
Speaker 3: To have to So you need to tell people talk about point. There are two things I think that are design flaws in a lot of houses, and it causes us to have inefficient heating and cooling systems for the life of the home. And if you're buying a new home, you need to look for these elements, or if you're buying even buying a used home. If you're buying a home, it's really important to consider these items first and foremost. Your furnace needs to be in an area where it has free access and unfettered access to combustion air. We don't realize how much a furnace breathes. If you picture a furnace and you could see the air molecules, you could see them. That is sucking in a bunch of air to combust That that's combustion air, and that chokes down a furnace. And people who put these in and don't put in enough combustion air have no idea that they're choking their furnace down, and their furnace, like you said, Bob, the best furnace in the world can give you the worst service if it's not done correctly. Correct one of those is combustion air number two, which is extremely important, and I would say right now about eighty five percent of the houses suffer from this, and that is adequate return air. Now there's two different things. You have air for the fire, the combustion which keeps the burners going. Then you have the heating itself. And that air that is heated in your home has to return to the furnace to be reheated, and then new air is pushed out into the home. It's a circulation of air. Cold air comes into the furnace, that's called return air, It gets heated and get sent out to the house. Then that other air that was sent out to the house moments ago is now returned to the furnace. So many homes have vents to feed cool or heated air into the home, but they lack the return air to keep the system balanced. And I know, Bob, I know from previous discussions you guys have gone in and help people increase their efficiency without installing anything but more return air.
Speaker 10: That's right. In fact, even during a new installation, many times will increase the return air during the installation new homes.
Speaker 3: Why are new homes so stingy on return air?
Speaker 10: Well, and the newer homes aren't as stingy.
Speaker 3: Okay, But maybe that there was a time.
Speaker 10: One of the mistakes that people make too, is that they'll put couches or credenzas or something in front of that return air and they're blocking the return air exactly. They either need to move or move it away from the wall so that return air can make its way back to.
Speaker 3: The first In fact, there's a return air over there. You can see that lower one right there, and I used to have a couch over that, and that severely hinders the circulation of your air. So if you're looking at a new used home, look at combustion air and you can easily add it if your furnace is in a good place. But as Mark mentioned before, when the furnace is in the middle of a finished area, you may not be able to easily add it. So make sure your furnace is an area that can get combustion air, and also that you have enough return air. Now let me ask you this, Bob. In general, does the return air have to be in every room? Do you have to have a return air vent in every section of the house or every room? You do not?
Speaker 10: Okay, Yeah, it depends on how the house is constructed. Open floor plans don't need as much moskare okay, but.
Speaker 3: You should have Do you guys do those calculations when somebody comes in to replace a furnace?
Speaker 10: We do, we would we do what it's called a heatload calculation. And again all companies should do this prior to putting a system in. Many companies will just look at what you have in there and then replace, swap it out, or they'll just base it strictly on your square footage and say, you know your house is twenty four hundred square feed therefore you need this. Again, there's so many calculations.
Speaker 3: Got to take. Gotta take this break. We got more right after this. Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Okay, let's go to the phones. If you have a problem, question and complain, give us a call Raquel. Let's just bring her up right away. Try to squeeze her in to get started. Oh she's not there, she's not ready. Okay, fine, we do have a question about HVAC. Someone has a question about an air conditioner. When they have two distinct areas of a home, do they need two air conditioners? Bob Logan, do you need when do you have to have multiple units as opposed to one? You in it?
Speaker 10: Well? It which they say distinct areas. I mean, as long as the air can flow from one to the other to the other, then you're okay.
Speaker 3: But would you put a thermostat in each area or not? You can't do that unless it was zoned.
Speaker 10: Not unless it was zoned.
Speaker 3: Correct, and explain how zoning works.
Speaker 10: So, so basically, zoning is redirecting where they where the air is moving.
Speaker 3: So you can have one bigger unit, maybe.
Speaker 10: One system, and say you wanted to go to two different areas of the house, maybe.
Speaker 3: Like upstairs and downstairs.
Speaker 10: Upstairs downstairs, maybe it's a master bedroom and then the main level.
Speaker 3: Yeah like that. Yeah, and uh yeah, So does it literally divert the duct work?
Speaker 10: It diverts the airflow? Correct?
Speaker 3: And do you do that where the duct originates or at the rest as at the the vents.
Speaker 10: It's it's where the it's within the duct work.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm not okay, no, No, we'll clarify that. It's called ducting and it's called zoning. And we'll go over that because a lot of people need that and they don't even know they need it. We'll talk about this and more coming up on The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 10: Ripped up.
Speaker 3: Need advice, so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come running just as as can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 3: Man, This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hello Tom Martino. Here, let's talk about your problems, questions and complains. You know, this is really the only show anywhere that talks about everyday aches and pains, the things that really make you tick every single day, and the things I like to say that tick you off. So the Wall Street Journal had a very interesting article from a technology firm that says, watch out for unsubscribed buttons that you know and I hit them all the time, by the way, And they're recommending now that you don't unsubscribe. Just ignore the emails. Just ignore them. Unsubscribing puts you on a list of verified accounts. Sometimes in other cases it brings you to nefarious links that can do harm to you. So unsubscribing your email is something that you should think of is very risky. Now I did not know that, but I'm going to go to my most paranoid person that I know when it comes to ant. How did you know? Wait, wait, you started perching yourself already. How did you know I was going to say, Deputy d Oh.
Speaker 12: I get accused by you and Mark every day of being paranoid.
Speaker 3: And you know what, a lot of the stuff you say comes to pass. So they're saying, you told me to unsubscribe one time, and this is saying you absolutely do not unsubscribe.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I unsubscribe from trusted vendors, so there are places where I bought stuff and then I get on their junk mail list.
Speaker 3: And you know for sure it's real, Yeah, because they're.
Speaker 11: Legitimate retailers on the Internet.
Speaker 12: But I also get an enormous amount of just regular spam email like well, luck, we all do. And yeah, you definitely should never hit the unsubscribe because they just validate. All they do is they validate that somebody is over there receiving, reading, and opening these emails, and then then they care enough to respond and then they sell your email address to other junk mail exactly.
Speaker 3: Now, Raquel, what's going on with you.
Speaker 18: It's actually my best friend who is on suction eight housing and in a Denver Housing Authority control building, and what they have done and this.
Speaker 7: Woman has stage four liver cancer and it's not aw So this is a very messed up situation. She moved in in February. The deposit was seventeen hundred and fifty dollars, which of course she.
Speaker 5: Didn't have in full.
Speaker 7: They said, no problems, you can make payments on it, and we'll give you some resources to reach out to to maybe get some assistance with it to pay the remainder that you haven't Okay, so fast forward. She's now found a resource that will help her pay what she hasn't paid. She's paid one thousand dollars of the deposit herself in two payments of five hundred, and she's paid her rent, her responsibility part of the rent every month.
Speaker 3: She raquel, I want to ask something real quick here. I want to I want to make sure I'm getting this straight. So far, your friend moved in with her husband and her husband has stage four cancer.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, my friend herself has stage four liver cancer.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, releeve. Okay, she's a woman. And the seven hundred yes, the seven hundred and fifty dollars was for what she had to pay a deposit.
Speaker 7: One seven hundred and fifty was the total deposit to move into this apartment. She has paid it over the last few months.
Speaker 3: A thousand of it. Okay, got it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So she made two payments of five hundred dollars in February and March, at which time she had got a resource that she was going to work with and had to wait sixty days to apply for it. At that time, they told her, don't make any further payments on the deposit until we get the paperwork back on this resource that's going to pay the rest, because why pay anymore if they'll pay bestive what you owe.
Speaker 3: Sure, she was waiting to see how much they were going to pay, right right.
Speaker 7: So now the resource wanted the ledger from the office showing how much she owed on the deposit. And here comes the problem. And I just found out from another housing authority that this may be a common practice.
Speaker 2: What they do to these people is.
Speaker 7: They take the payments that they're making on their rent, their their monthly helped portion of the rent payment, and they're applying it to their deposits, and then they're charging late fees clear back and not.
Speaker 3: Telling you all this is Oh my god.
Speaker 7: She's so ubervating and wrong. It's not even funny. They're taking advantage of people who can't take care of themselves. Right, are tired and stressed out and sick, and don't catch these things until something like this happens and they get the ledger and it's a slap in the face and it's disgusting and I'm so.
Speaker 18: Angry right now, I could say, okay.
Speaker 3: Right, Raquel, how much so that with her applying, let's simplify this as much as possible. When did she actually move in February?
Speaker 2: February? February?
Speaker 3: Okay is the now, and every payment and every payment she is and every payment she has made has gone toward the deposit and not the rent. And instead they were charging her for rent, yes.
Speaker 7: And applying late fees. And March was supposed to be a free month. They applied to late feet to March as well. Every month they've applied late fees and they're just stacking up now and so it looks like she's behind on her rent and in default of her contract. It was such a name and they never told her that they were doing this. In fact, the opposite.
Speaker 18: Okay, don't worry, don't pay anymore.
Speaker 3: So how much does she owe right now? How much does she owe right now?
Speaker 7: Right now? It's showing or sprine eleven eighty three, I believe, act and please go away on in the phone eleven eighty three. I believe, and that's in back rent. What they're saying is back rent, yes, and I believe there's late season. In addition to that, the way got it Ledger, it's very messed up.
Speaker 3: It's fair. Are they showing that she paid her but because all the money was being applied to the security deposit. Are they showing now that her security deposit is paid?
Speaker 7: Yes, they're showing her her rent deposit is paid in full for seventeen hundred and fifty dollars, which she only owed seven to fifty of that because she'd made the two five hundred dollars payments. And I have receipts showing all of this. And on their Ledger it shows three five of twenty five rent concession credit. Her portion is two hundred and seventy three. It shows that as a rent concession credit. But then somehow they're turning it into the the security deposit. I'm not tracking where they're making that flip. It doesn't show that in here, but at the top it says the security deposits paid in, but her rent is behind.
Speaker 3: Got it? I got it because they applied. They applied the money to her deposit without telling her first, and now it shows that she's late on rent. So every single month where her her rent will be late again because she's not paying that rent. Those late charges right, hat.
Speaker 7: Over one hundred and fifty dollars in late seasons from what I can tell, maybe more.
Speaker 3: Now, let me ask you something, if we called and could get this straightened out, If we called and could get this straightened out, how much are they actually they're saying she's behind in rent? Right, would that resource help her pay the rent instead of paying the security deposit?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 7: I don't think so, because we're her balance due on the security deposit was seven fifty? How to seven fifty because eighteen hundred dollars in past to rent? I don't understand they've like that makes no no.
Speaker 3: I know how it did. I know how it happened. Raquel. I don't agree with it, but I know how it happened. She had seven hundred and fifty dollars due on the security deposit, so when she paid rent, they subtracted that seven point fifty from a rent, making her short on rent, kicking in a late fee and that late fee plus the rent went to the following month, which which garnered another late like that, and it just keeps yes, yes, and we need someone to explain this to that authority. Absolutely. Do you have a contact at Denver Housing that understands what happened?
Speaker 2: So I actually spoke.
Speaker 7: I've worked with Commerce City Housing Authority before for myself and my adopted mom when we were in trouble during COVID out there, and so I called out to them because I know that they were going to give me good information and a good direction to go and valid information. And so I spoke with Brie at Commerce City Housing Authority is who I've spoke with. I have not seen Recember because I'm so angry. I don't think that I can keep mine.
Speaker 3: Right, I understand. Listen, here's what I want to tell you, Requel Raquel. Let's break it down though, and do this. Okay, if we're going to help you, let's do this Denver Housing Authority. This is all automated. They didn't do anything to hurt her or anything. In other words, let's try to get the anger out of it. I'm gonna have Deputy d He's really good at parsing through this crap. I want him to contact Denver Housing Authority. And it's a very simple request. You were taking payments, I mean, she's me. She was making rent payments which you were applying to the security deposit because you were waiting for the security deposit to be paid. She had paid a thousand of the security deposit, and that seven point fifty was supposed to be paid by someone else. Now, what is the resource that was helping with the security deposit?
Speaker 7: Who is the place that's gonna help it?
Speaker 2: He your security deposit?
Speaker 8: The Shuman research paper should be then, and we won't try all what.
Speaker 9: Just one second?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry because I have.
Speaker 19: So somebody was helping her, right, it's yes, so it is Denver Human Services Emergency, a different application.
Speaker 3: Okay. I don't need to listen to Cheryl Raquel. I don't need the exact day, the name. I just want there's a charity that offered to pay. They offered to pay the seven hundred and fifty dollars right, so right, so are they willing to pay anything? Right now?
Speaker 7: What are they saying right now? Are they willing to pay anything?
Speaker 8: That they went through all this, they probably would have paid the whole seven t two wins to that current. Now I would ask you for a sturdy to call it.
Speaker 3: So what is she saying?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 7: They're only going to pay Now, they're only going to pay five seventy three since now the deficit appears to be a rent.
Speaker 3: Right right? Get it? Okay, got it?
Speaker 2: So they work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is very confusing.
Speaker 7: Now they're not.
Speaker 10: Right, I get it.
Speaker 3: So they're going to pay five fifty. So if she gets the five point fifty from them, I want to try to get these late charges removed. Deputy D What do you think about that? Getting these late charges removed? I think if we explain the situation, I mean, they're punitive. I don't think they want to hurt her, do you No.
Speaker 12: I think they're just trying to either get paid or get the unit vacated so they can rent it out again.
Speaker 3: Right, but this is Denver housing, right, mm.
Speaker 11: Hmm, that's what it sounds like. Yeah, I'll be happy to call if if we.
Speaker 3: Here's what I would do. I would call them and say, look, this woman thought she was making payments in rent and you were applying them to the security deposit. She can get she can pay her rent, but those those late charges are making it impossible. What do all the late charges add up to? Raquel?
Speaker 7: What I'm seeing here is, let's see, I've got.
Speaker 3: Here's what I want you to do. I'm gonna take a break. I want you to add up all the charges. I want to know the separate charge. Are you all? Three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five? Hi? Tom Orsino? Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. All right, So we're uh, we're trying to help Raquel. We're going to do that. Deputy d is going to get on that. Basically, the payments were misdirected from the security deposit to the rent. But I'm positive somewhere and I'm not saying it's okay, and maybe they can make an exception, but I'll bet you somewhere it said any payments you make are first applied to the security deposit and then they're applied to rent. And I think what happened was she thought she was paying a rent on time every month, and instead they were putting those payments toward the security deposit, so she thought she was on time every time, when really every month they accumulated late charges we're going to try to get those late charges removed and try to get her up to date on her rent and try to get that other charity to help out with the security deposit. You know, it's really hard to imagine. You know, my audience comes from varied backgrounds, but in general, it's really hard to imagine how bad off people have it. It really is unless you're going through it yourself. We try to have sympathy, but it is very difficult to identify with people like that. Listen to this. There was a man who lost when we talk about romance scams and email scams and all that, I just about guy in Philadelphia. He lost more than one million dollars. It started off with a customer service thing where he looked up a customer service number for a company, but it wasn't the genuine customer service number. Do you know that a lot of people out there start customer service departments in quotes phony customer service departments, and they get a Google number and they put it out on the internet. So if someone is having a problem with a certain bank, or a certain credit card or a certain service, they get this fake number instead. So when the scammer picks up the phone. They'll say, welcome to you know, Bank of America or whatever, and then this person proceeds to tell them since they made the call to begin with, they they think, well, it's legit because I made the call. So they say, oh, yes, you know, I was told that my account has been compromised. And then the person on the end says, yeah, this is what we need to do. So they're hooked from the very beginning. Because the advice I give to people is never click a link in a text or an email. And if you're going to call a company, make sure you call their direct number. So this guy thought he was calling the direct number of this and then they talked him into giving them the information for his account. And then after that they befriended each other, and the woman's kept talking to this guy saying, oh, you know, I can help you with that. She even shared recipes with this guy, so they struck up a relationship and she said, you know, we should really make sure all of your accounts are safe, not just the one I just helped you with. So obviously, since nothing negative happened with the previous encounter, because she was waiting, she was lying and waiting he thought all of that had been averted. So then she proceeded to get information from him about his gold and silver accounts and his investment accounts. He threw instructions by her and step by step online help where she gained access to his computer. She was able, this is Daisy, was able to get his gold and silver, valued at seven hundred and eighty thousand dollars, transferred out of the depository directly to her. She disappeared, and this guy is out the seven hundred and eighty thousand dollars in gold and silver, plus another three hundred thousand in cash from his accounts. He is dead, dead, broke, and there is no thing anyone can do about it. I find this so horrifying. Can you imagine if this is your mom or dad? This guy was set for retirement. Now he has nothing, and no matter how bad people feel, no one there's no restitution. There's no place to get restitution for this. He's done.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, it's not inconsistent with some of the calls that we've received. Remember the lady called because her dad spent dollars at some bitcoin atm in the back of a CD liquor store.
Speaker 11: I mean this is that's right. I mean, that just happened a few weeks.
Speaker 3: I mean, but no matter how much we warned people, it goes on and on and on, you know.
Speaker 9: But I'm telling you they passed that law Tom that we talked about last week where the maximum is which law is that the one where the maximum you can put into a bitcoin machine is one thousand dollars and at these significance that they put by the machine, and if it turns out to be a fraud, the owner of the machine, which is usually the star, has to make restitution. So Colorado has a very very good protection program for these kind of scams.
Speaker 10: And I'm proud to.
Speaker 9: Say that, well sure, the AARP fraud Network was a major innovator in this uh with this law.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And one thing though that is important is it's not all done through crypto machines either. This one was gold and silver and she had them transfer to the gold and silver. So it's really listen if you right now, I know, I know, because of the vast subject matter of our audience and the and the audience itself, there are people right now communicating with people, and I'm telling you you're going to be cheated there's a certain percentage of people right now listening that will be cheating. Now I have Brian Burns with me from Compass Insurance. Ask Brian if he can hold because there's some really important topics I want to bring up about leaking pipes and about insurance versus warranty work coming up. I'm Tom Martino. Stay tuned for more. Tom Martine here three three seven to one three talk three oh three Martino. You can call this as well. Cheryl has a problem, Brian. Every we get every once in a while. Brian Burns is with Compass Insurance Group. They do free insurance checkups. They do insurance for the house, in auto and businesses and full lines, and Brian, We've gone over this time and time again, and I want to take this first and foremost before we get into the specific problem a lot of people will have. Let's just say in this case, it's a leaky pipe and they discover it after a year or so, and it's really bad and it's routed out a bunch of their insulation and interior walls and there's a lot of damage. What is that they want to know? Is that covered by insurance? Where does insurance cover and where is it considered just you know, what do you call a catastrophe that happened?
Speaker 16: Yeah, so I will tell you it used to be the case that just water damage coverage would cover something like that, a slowly found that had happened over a long period of time. But the insurance policies have written in in most cases you'll see that there's written in that it requires that it occurred in a more sudden type of situation. However, there's a new coverage that you can get on some policies called seetage. And we're not talking about seatge coming through the floor or anything like that, seepage meaning and they define it in a policy as something that happens over a period of time, water damage that occurred over a period of time. And so my thought would be based off of whatever the policy is. You need to read your policy and find out number one, what is the definition of water damage or where's that exclusion ad? And two, if it is excluded, which it probably is, do you have what's called seepach coverage?
Speaker 3: Now what Okay, so seepach coverage doesn't like if the seepage came from a major defect in the roof, it wouldn't cover the defect in the roof, would it.
Speaker 16: No, it is. It is exactly what you were saying earlier, right before the break. It really is there to cause the damage caused by the see pitch. It's never insurance is never going to fix whatever is caused. In other words, if a water pipe breaks, it will cause the resulting damage from the water from that pipe, but it's not gonna it's not going to pay to fix the pipe. That's usually not a huge deal. Okay, so that's the lesser part of the damage. But but yeah, it doesn't go to fix whatever caused the problem.
Speaker 3: In a normal homeowner's policy, normal then we'll go to the landlord kind Yeah. But in a normal policy, then do I have to ask for seepage coverage?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 16: And not all not all companies even offer it. It's just become as they began to exclude it. You started to see some carriers offering some seepage coverage and it's usually an increments of ten thousand up to like fifty thousand dollars a coverage for seepage, and.
Speaker 3: It covers the damage caused by seepage, not the source of the seepage.
Speaker 16: Correct yeah, I would never go to fix whatever has that leaky pipe that's been you know, doing the damage over time. It would never go to fix that pipe, okay.
Speaker 3: In a landlord tenant case, Yes said she had an issue where her rental property had water damage near the toilet. The toilet leaked behind the wall and it cost her twenty four thousand dollars to fix it. She says her insurance isn't covering anything. Is that true, Cheryl, that your insurance isn't covering anything or part of it? What is the truth there?
Speaker 2: Well, I went through my agent. I don't know how hard she pushed her on. I have my dolls, but you need to hear nor there.
Speaker 20: I they're not covering any of it, even the forty four one hundred dollars that it cost me to rehouse the guy who insisted on getting rehoused.
Speaker 2: So I was out of town. I had to scramble. I got a Airbnb kind of a setup forum for the month, and then he ended up moving out. Okay, there were just too many problems, so I also am losing rent on it. The house is very rentable now beyond it's perfect.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, So Brian, when is a landlord covered. When is the landlord covered for temporary housing for their tenant.
Speaker 10: Well, they're not.
Speaker 16: Going to cover the tenant. What would happen is if the if the tenant stopped paying, you could get loss of rent per her conversation, like they just say I'm not going to pay her they break the leaf you can because of a covered loss, then you could have loss of rent coverage, but it's never going to go to give your tenant a place to live. That would be the reason they they should have renters insurance that would cover them if they couldn't you know, if they couldn't live in their apartment or whatever, their renters insurance would give them coverage to go live somewhere else while they still had to pay for a lease. Uh So that's where you could find coverage for that, underneath their own policy.
Speaker 3: And by the way, as a side note, I want to make this note. If you're a landlord, you should insist and make it part of the agreement that all your tenants have renter's insurance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that should be I don'tatory would rens insurance have covered this.
Speaker 3: It would only.
Speaker 16: Cover there are lots of use, that's all that would cover it wouldn't cover anything, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But no, but it would have saved her money. It would have saved her money because his rental insurance would have got him a temporary place.
Speaker 16: Right, yep, right, which I pushed him for.
Speaker 2: I let him whine and what not. Then I covered it. But I told him his insurance because covered well, are you sure.
Speaker 3: They didn't have a policy? Maybe he collected twice?
Speaker 4: Renners insurance is so dem It's like I think my son's render insurance is like one hundred and fifty bucks a year.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's pretty cheap. You're right.
Speaker 3: Now, Cheryl, on this fix, what did the what did the source turn out to be for the leak toilet? Toilet? But how in other words, it didn't just did it just start leaking all of a sudden.
Speaker 4: Probably the wax rings been leaking forever one of the water pipes.
Speaker 3: Is that what happened, Cheryl? Okay, you know.
Speaker 2: That's what I assume. Yes, Unfortunately I was out of town at the time. I had to go back off.
Speaker 20: Of the word of the guys who were doing the.
Speaker 2: The mitigation.
Speaker 4: Well, when they finally stopped the leak, Scherl, when they stopped the leak.
Speaker 3: What did they say the leak was coming from broken.
Speaker 2: Pipe and also the ring?
Speaker 3: Well not wait a minute, so a broken pipe would be covered?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's what I.
Speaker 3: When is it bro hold on, let's talk about that, Brian, a broken pipe? When is a broken pipe covered? This gets very confusing. When when does it say wait a minute, we're.
Speaker 16: Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Now I'm listening.
Speaker 16: I would say the broken pipe is kind of a hard terminology because whenever I think of broken pipe, I think is something more sudden immediate. So broken pipe in general would be covered. But it's a time situation. So if the damage has occurred, like in other words, the broken pipe means a pinhole leak that's occurred over months, then again you're back to seep it. That's a slow moving water loss and that's not going to fall underneath water damage. I'm assuming that you had burbage on the declination? Is that right? Did you get a decline from from the insurance company?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tried to push that. I even called the government Colorado insurance We're not to look into it, and I got to.
Speaker 3: Know from all you know what we should do?
Speaker 4: We should send over your not your deck page but your policy along with the actual Nile letter to Matt exactly, and let's see what Matt comes up with.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what he does for a living. Yeah. Now, most likely though, if it was a leak and your pipe, you know, broke over an adjustment or over time, nothing's going to be covered anyway, most likely, But it could be that resulting damage. When is resulting damage covered, Brian, where they would fix the walls and the floor but not the leak itself. When is that? Is that with seepitch coverage.
Speaker 16: Well, the seat pitch would cover the resulting damage. The pipe would never be covered in either instance. So my guess is that her water damage the exclusion on her water or her water coverage water damage coverage there in the policy is going to say something along the lines that it's over if it's more than thirty six hours or whatever their burbage is going to be in their policy that then they won't cover the damage. So unless Matt would be able to to point and say, no, I think this happened quicker than that, or whatever, he might be able to say.
Speaker 4: Let's let's let's look into something here real quick. Here's what I don't get so all of a sudden, the tenant calls you and says, what like, how did this unfold in your life?
Speaker 2: This is how?
Speaker 4: Real quick?
Speaker 3: He was, well, yeah, real quick. After this, hold on, I gotta take this break, Channa, just take the break. We'll come right back to it.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We got another hour to go. Now, it's a great time to get your calls in. We are going to go back to Brian Burns real quick. Hey, Brian, with this this flooding pipe, what caused it?
Speaker 3: What I wanted to ask Cheryl is Cheryl? Was it all of a sudden?
Speaker 10: Sudden?
Speaker 4: Another words, your tenant called you and said we got four inches of water.
Speaker 18: It was not like that, Okay.
Speaker 2: He was cleaning behind a dresser in the lower bedroom, got it. And when you move the dresser, the carpet was wet and it went from there.
Speaker 3: So Brian, just hearing that, would you say that?
Speaker 4: See Pitch, I still think she calls Matt at Paragon, it's not going to cost you a nickel, Cheryl. In fact that it literally won't cost you a nickel. And if he thinks he can go somewhere with it, he only gets like ten or twenty percent, whatever it is on what he collects for you. So if he collects ten dollars for you, that's better than what's what you have right now.
Speaker 2: Well, do not to give me that name. It's hard to hear.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to put you hold on.
Speaker 4: I'm going to put you on hold, and Kelly make sure she gets Matt with Paragon's number. Look, we got another hour coming. Brian Burns quote Compass dot com. I don't care if it's an automotive, a homeowner's a business policy, best insurance, cheapest pricing out there. Let him shop it for you, Brian. As always, I appreciate you coming on. Everybody, Hold tight, few lines been three oh three, Martino.
Speaker 1: Ripped up. News needed that's who.
Speaker 15: You don't happen.
Speaker 1: Come running just as.
Speaker 3: Fast as we can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 2: Come man, this is.
Speaker 3: The Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hey, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. We are attempting to do away with all problems in the universe. Of course it doesn't always help, but man, I'll tell you what. One of the biggest things happening around the country romance scams. They're coming in all shapes and sizes. Now, the most common ways they get in touch with you is first and foremost, the main one is a text to you out of nowhere, and you say, by the way, this is the wrong person. This happened to me, so I said, And I didn't know what it was at first. I just I always say, well, I don't have you in my contacts. I don't know who you are. And they said, oh, I'm trying to get a hold of you, know so and so I think, Mary Jane, I'm in town for a few days, blah blah blah. And I say, there's no Mary Jane here. Well, you must love living in this area. It's so beautiful, you know. They try to strike up a conversation with me. And what happens is they're experts at finding out who and what you are, or they already know, and then they text back and forth and try to set up a relationship where they're going to meet you. They're young, and they're attractive. In fact, on one of these texts, the very first random text was sent, there was a picture on it of this attractive woman saying, Hey, I'm in town for a few days. Mary Jane or whoever, you know, let's make sure we go out. And so people who are lonely, I guess, or curious, they start responding to these texts, and these texts lure them in and then eventually it somehow they get people who are willing to send them money or willing to meet them, and they never really do meet you. That's the one big, big area of scams. So be really careful, don't they never know. They won't do anything like now FaceTime. You're right, they won't zoom or FaceTime. It is really bad, really really bad.
Speaker 9: We'll talk that a couple of bees, and I keep them going for a couple of days and then I say, hey, by the way, I'm really broke. Can you lend me two thousand dollars? And then they go, wait, oh that's good.
Speaker 3: So you turn the tables, You turn the tables, ask them for a loan, and I'm a good one. Pass them for money.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Also, people have been people have been googling customer service numbers. And one of the latest scams is they go to your customer service you know, or they go to these companies and they make fake customer service numbers. So there are scammers out there that what they're doing is they're going out to Microsoft and to Apple and for all of these different companies, Amazon, eBay, and they're making fake customer service numbers and they show up in Google searches. So you Google customer service, figuring I'm not going to be tricked. I'm not going to hit one of those stupid links. I'm going to find the company directly and go to them. And then you think you're going to the company, and in reality you're going to another scammer. But you think because you googled the customer service number that it's the right number and you're not going to get hurt, and as it turns out, you call another scammer. That's what happened to this guy that lost over a million dollars. He googled customer service for this company, so he thought, well, I'm making a call to them. They must be real. They didn't call me. I called them, so the I called them scenario is not even safe anymore. So how do you know when you have the real company? You know, one of the ways to do it is through second party verification or second method verification. So if you contact someone they say I will send you. If you call them, I will send a code or something to the email associated with this address, and then in that way you're able to verify that they know who you are, and then you verify who you are. So, if you do it by phone, they send the OTP or the verification by email. If you go by email, they send it to your cell phone. So don't you go buy cell phone and have them tell you we'll text you something because they have your number to text you. That's not accurate. It must be a verification process outside of the one you're using. So if you're in email contact with them and they say we're going to send a verification code to the number on file, that's the way to do it. Or if you're on the cell phone already, then they're going to send the verification to an email you have on file. Don't ever let them send the verification to the same method you're communicating them with. Hey Tom, again, it's my heart goes out to these people because you've got to be a genius to keep from getting ripped off.
Speaker 9: What go ahead, What if you just do company name dot com and go to their real website? Because I don't think that these scammers can change that. If you go to let's say you go to you know, kmart dot com. You can go to km wat's website. There's no way that the hacker can change that.
Speaker 3: Right, probably, right, probably, you know, and when.
Speaker 9: Once you on that site, you can look for the customer service directly.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true. That's true. If you know you're on the right website. That's one safety uh safety feature.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 3: But but it's amazing to me how many people well don't take the time to really check people out. They just don't take the time to do it. And it's just it's mind boggling the millions of dollars a day being lost. So and then and then we also want to went over the unsubscribe button and how that can be very very very bad, Like the unsubscribe button can be actually uh perilous. I mean it can be. It can be something that gives you a bad link or gives you, uh, let's give someone access to your computer. You can literally download something without knowing it by hitting an unsubscribe button. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five is our number. And by the way, we've gotten a lot of complaints about people being ripped off. And what's really amazing is if you look at the areas that are of the country that are prone to ripoffs, file they closely model where the economy is not doing great. By the way, if you want to know where inflation has the biggest problem, Denver is number five in the country. Inflation has run amok in the country and it's mostly affecting these five cities. Boston is number one, number one, Saint Louis is number two. This is where the inflation rates are the highest. Boston number one, Saint Louis number two, Baltimore is number three, San Diego is number four, and Denver is number five. Denver is really being socked by inflation number five in the entire country. And the consumer price indexes increase one percent a month, and that's considered really bad. So think about this Boston, Saint Louis, Baltimore, San Diego, and Denver. We have a text here for we have Bob Logan with us from Plumbline Services. We've been talking about plumbing, cooling, electric and trains. Someone wants to know about electrical system a panel upgrade. Now, for those listening, what do you think the number one reason people are getting panel upgrades. What do you think it is, Bob? The number one reason.
Speaker 10: Well, because of the amount of electronics we use in our.
Speaker 3: Well, electronics aren't really high in usage. But I'm talking about the number one Well, overall, we have been putting more strain on the grid. You're right, with all the charging and all the passive electricity we used, or I say passive meaning not actively involved, but letting something sit and charge. But the number one reason people are getting upgrades or for their ev vehicles.
Speaker 10: Because they don't have space in their in their paths.
Speaker 3: Either space or they don't have the service. Do most houses have fifty AM or one hundred AM or two hundred MP? Would what are the services right now?
Speaker 10: One hundred and fifty two hundred Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you had a lot of older homes have fifty a M to one hundred M service, that would be hard to have a charger on that, wouldn't it.
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean, Mark, you did you look into chargers when you Yeah, we have a six on year. Yeah, but that's just for your charger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we've got multiple well actually we've got multiple ones, but I mean, yeah, that's for that particular circuit.
Speaker 10: That's how much it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've got our dryer, we've got that, then we've got our bus and the big garage, and then we've got a hot tub.
Speaker 3: And then we have a steamer, so we probably have right. Well, if you Mark, if you added all that up, what is your actual service to the house. Is it two hundred or four hundred or what.
Speaker 10: The house is?
Speaker 4: I think four hundred, and then the garage is I think they ran three hundred to the garage.
Speaker 10: That's new.
Speaker 3: I mean that's incredible.
Speaker 10: That's a big, big, different three different panels, Mark.
Speaker 4: I've got Well, in the house we have one big panel, then two subpanels, and then in the garage we have one panel.
Speaker 3: I mean see see that's incredible. And one of the I mean one of the big things is they calculate how much of the stuff you're going to use. They don't add up everything because they're assuming you're never going to use more than what sixty to seventy five percent of all.
Speaker 4: Man if we had, if we had I'll tell you this, let's say the let's say the cars and the bus both needed to charge all at the same time, so two tasklas. Then the bus. Well, the bus is on a separate circuit, so forget about that. Let's say the two tasselas are charging and they're down, so they're sucking up every bit they can, the hot tubs on, the steamers on, and the dryers on. I bet you if I turn the microwave on, I'd blow the house up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyway, the way they calculate this is they don't add everything up because as I said.
Speaker 4: They and if it was winter, the heat tape on the roof I think is a pretty heavy duty circuit. Oh you have heat tape on the roof, Yeah, we have to that one side. I mean the snow will literally never leave.
Speaker 3: All right, now we have something Brian Burns is not on. But they said you should have asked Brian about dogs and homeowner's insurance. We just got socked with a premium with a surcharge because they found out we had a German shepherd. And I looked on the list and here are what insurance companies are surcharging for. Lately. They are going out and surcharging people an increase in their premium for certain dogs. And it's based on some kind of law firm analysis that a group of law firms got together and did a study on personal injury and dog bites, and they've concluded. This is very controversial because people always want to argue this that pit bulls have most incidents. Now, I know people who have hid pit bulls say they're sweethearts, and they are, but for some reason, they're still number one when it comes to incidents. And number two are shepherds, you know, And that's hard to believe too, because those are sweetheart dogs. But do you know nine in twenty twenty one to twenty twenty three, in a two year period, there were sixty one fatalities involving pit bulls. Sixty one. Now, this is how far back number two is for.
Speaker 4: Those are all those numbers are all actual areals? I mean, pit bulls do have more bites than any other dogs, right.
Speaker 3: That's right. In fact, of all dog bites, pit bulls have twenty seven percent of all dog bites. I got to take this break. But you won't believe though some of the insurance companies and what they're doing, it's almost making it cost prohibitive. Mark. They never talk to you about having a shepherd.
Speaker 10: What shepherd? I don't have a shepherd.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Hi, Tom Rtino, you're a troubleshooter. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Welcome to the show. Let's get to the phones here and do whatever is on your mind. Now here's something very interesting, Bob. Somebody here speaking of phones. Let me go to the text here. Okay, So someone wants to know is there such thing as a as a mini split for the entire unit? Do they make them big enough or do you have to divide them up? Mini splits are units you put in exterior walls up high and they spew heat or air and then they have the guts of the unit outside. Do they make really big ones?
Speaker 10: I don't think you'd want that.
Speaker 3: The whole idea is. The whole idea is to have zoning kind of correct.
Speaker 10: Yeah, in specific areas of the home. It's if you had one, you know, you'd walk in that one room and it'd be either freezing or be super hot, but the rest of your house because the air wouldn't be flowing.
Speaker 4: I think most of them are at least eight those six or eight units.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a lot of rooms.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, you can have multi head units.
Speaker 3: What's the most you can be?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: You can what Mark was saying? Six to eight heads on one unit.
Speaker 4: Wow, I'm pretty sure that's typical in all the Mixabishi and pretty much all of them.
Speaker 3: By the way, getting back to that insurance list, if you have a pit bull, you're gonna be if you have a pit bull, shepherd boxer or rottweiler. And then this other one Australian cattle dog. I don't know what that is, but I would never thought of them as being aggressive. Then number seven is a cane courso oh yeah, Doberman pincher's number eight, umber nine is a massive Now, you're not going to believe. You will never believe number ten on the aggressive list, You'll never believe. Uawa a Labrador retriever. A Labrador retriever? A Labrador retriever? Are you kidding me? So? Anyway, you can actually be surcharged for a Labrador Retriever they're going through. The ranking is based on an analysis of dog bites from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty three. They examined bite incidents, fatalities, vaccination rates, bite severity, and breed specific information. The danger score combines all factors on a zero to one hundred factors, So that's what they did. So they took into consideration all of those things and came up with what was called a danger score. A danger score. Pitbull, for example, had a ninety. Shepherds have a fifty seven, Boxers fifty four. You are Wyler's fifty three.
Speaker 4: So I found one that I guarantee is different because it's got to do with reported post office bites. But it almost follows exactly what you're saying. It goes Pitbull, Rottwiler, German shepherd, isn't that funny? So and they're talking about postal workers that god bit.
Speaker 3: But oh, you know that is incredible. I have never considered German shepherds ever being aggressive. That is something that really does.
Speaker 4: A lot of them are trained to do exactly that, though man Junkyard drugs or you know, they're all German shepherds, my god man. Back in the day, I think they'd feed them a little gunpowder and just let them roam at night, and if anybody jumped over the fence, they just eat them.
Speaker 3: Okay. And somebody asks if I heard about that plane accident where the one guy survived.
Speaker 10: Amazing, said you.
Speaker 3: And he said, do you think there's any truth to safe seats on airlines held some seats being safer than others? You know what, Mark, there was a study done on that, And they say, and they did a lot of reenactments of course of computer modeling, and you're absolutely right, they say, when it comes to a crash, it's random. There are no seats that are automatically more safe than others. For absolutely sure, you cannot you cannot bargain on a safe seat. Some people were hell bent on believing. Now this is what people believe that the seats over the wing area are the strongest because that's the strongest part of the fuselage, which, by the way it is, it is the strongest part of the fuselage because of the structure it takes in the center of that fuselage or cabin to connect the wings. That is definitely the strongest. But that doesn't mean that the seats on top of that carry that strength because the plane really buckles, and when it buckles, the cabin will fail all over the place. Other people, so number one, the number one area people believed was the safest is over the wing.
Speaker 4: Oh, i'd say number two air say first class then business class.
Speaker 3: No, I think they to the number is probably the same, that's right, the doc number two. That's the number two area the tail cone that people believe is the safest. And by the way, there's good reason for that too. The tailcne seats are usually intact. That doesn't mean, however, that people live in it. But they've never done an actual statistic taking all the crashes into consideration. But according to computer modeling, there really is no fit safe a safer seat.
Speaker 4: And then let's not forget the different layouts. I mean, you could have the same Dreamliner, but depending on what airline owns it is a seat configuration and everything else. So I mean it's so different, absolutely, But as.
Speaker 3: Far as safety on an airline, they said, don't bother wasting your time, you know, get a seat that's comfortable. And then then they also bring out that of course, although we've been hearing a lot about airline incidents, and that's another thing I don't like about the media, and this brings it out too. The airline incidents are not related unless they are, and they're not. In other words, when they say the third the third incident in three months, the big deal. Big deal. Unless those incidents are connected, what difference does it make that there were three of them in three months. If they're totally unrelated, they have nothing to do with each other. But the the media is hell bent on grouping things together. They group them together all the time, which is a misrepresentation of what's actually going on. If you have three different airline accidents or airline incidents and one is like on a taxiway, another one is coming in for a landing, and another one is midair, and they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Even if they're all Boeing, that doesn't mean that Boeing did something wrong, or it doesn't mean that all of a sudden, airlines are unsafe. Have you ever noticed that trend in the news where they group things together. They can group them together with SUVs, they can group them together for airplanes, they group them together for dogs, they group them diver any kind of news. The media loves grouping things together, but what would be more accurate is grouping them together for cause, not for what they are. And that thing has really skewed what people think about airlines because now they're saying oh, man, have you heard about all the airline incidents yet none of them are connected? That happened with helicopters, where you have a few helicopter accidents, all totally unrelated, nothing to do with each other. One would be pilot error, one would be maybe a rotor failure, another one would be for another reason, weather related. And they say the third helicopter incident in three weeks. What difference does that make? What does that say to you? It makes it sound like, oh my god, something's happening in the world of helicopters, when really there is nothing happening. Just beware of that when you listen to media reports on how they group things together. For that just happen to be in the same category, but it's not for the same cause. Hey we have more coming up.
Speaker 4: Hey hey, yes, another example of that. Though you were talking about the golden retriever being on that bite list, I'm reading this article you the lab dard. Well, this one's talking about golden retrievers. Here's the deal, man, They're on the list, and that's six percent of the total dog population, though, meaning per capita, the pit bull is actually way the hell less because there's not even you know, there's twenty times less pit bulls and there are golden retrievers. I never thought of it like that.
Speaker 3: You're right, they should take that into consideration again. Another another example of how you can make stats read any way you want. Three O three seven one three eight two five five. Hi, Tom Martino, you're trull shooter. Three O three seven one three eight two five five. Let's talk to Gerald. Gerald, welcome to the show. What's going on with you? Jerald?
Speaker 17: Well, I got a ticket this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what do you need to know to.
Speaker 17: Go over to World I had to go over and have a look at my car at.
Speaker 15: The over there?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 17: Were you in an avenue?
Speaker 3: Were you in an accident?
Speaker 17: I didn't know it until I got the thing in the mail.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you had an accident and you didn't know about it.
Speaker 15: Oh, it was a small one word.
Speaker 17: Where my uh mirror popped off and they said I scraped the car of somebody behind me.
Speaker 4: Well, if your mirror hit that car and fell off, chances are a did scratch it?
Speaker 3: Now, Gerald? Are they saying you took off without stopping? Is that what it's about?
Speaker 17: That's like, did they say I took off without stopping.
Speaker 3: Okay, And so when did they say this happened.
Speaker 17: Back in September?
Speaker 3: And what do they want from you?
Speaker 17: Let me get the let me get the damn thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what's what's the deal?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 3: Where do we stand? Are they trying to shake you down or what? Man?
Speaker 17: Yeah, they're sending me the court.
Speaker 3: How much? What are they looking for? They say?
Speaker 17: Caroless driving, leaving the scene in accident.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, you got to walk in there with the letter. You got to walk in there with the Biden excuse no, no, But but who wrote you the letter?
Speaker 9: It was the city?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's criminal charges, Tom. He needs to walk in there and basically tell him, you know, I don't remember it, and I didn't even know what happened.
Speaker 17: I didn't until I got a thing in the max.
Speaker 3: That's what That's why I'm saying that. Yeah, I mean, if you didn't even know about it, why did Okay, are they suing you or is this the city? And what are they asking for? Are they asking for money? What are they asking for?
Speaker 10: He's got a court date for those two items.
Speaker 4: He needs to go to court for the police, But.
Speaker 3: No one is coming after you. Civilly for damages.
Speaker 17: It says they will look at my car, which either the first time I ever knew about it.
Speaker 3: Okay, when you looked at your car? Is there damage on your car? Yeah? Is the mirror missing? Yeah?
Speaker 17: There was damage on my car. I didn't know about it until I got this thing in the mail.
Speaker 3: You didn't even notice that there was damage.
Speaker 17: No, that's on the left side, so I.
Speaker 3: The left side is where you look all the time. It's it's where you approach your car to get inside. Okay, see Gerald, how old are you here before?
Speaker 17: About three four years ago?
Speaker 3: How old are you? Gerald? Eighty two? Okay? Is it possible you just need to stop driving? Right now? Do we go?
Speaker 17: And are we going through this again?
Speaker 3: No, I'm just asking is it possible that maybe you shouldn't be driving anymore? I'm just asking. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. No, it isn't possible. Okay, you're gonna have to go to court and they're gonna find you. Gerald. I'd call Joel. I mean, there's your answer, Joe Lazia. Yeah, you're looking for a crypt Okay, I'm gonna give you the number. You're ready to take it down and he's good man. Yeah, go call Joe right now and ask him about it, because you do need a criminal defense attorney. His name is Joe. His number is three oh three four to nine six two zero zero. Me. Okay, I just got that.
Speaker 17: What's the rest of it?
Speaker 3: Oh, Jesus four to nine three oh three four two nine sixty two hundred. Hey, Kachina, could you get him and give that to him off the air? Just give it to him off the air. Yep, Gerald, thank you for calling. I appreciate.
Speaker 4: Hey, if you can have if you can have top classified documents locked up in your old garage, Uh, you can easily get into an accident and not know what happened until you get a notice on it.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a question. There's a minimum aid for running for president? Should there be a maximum age? No, I'm serious about that. Now, someone wants to know about a variable refrigerant flow multi zone air conditioning system. That really is the definition of a mini split. I mean, if you think about it, variable refrigerant flow, that's exactly what they do. Well, a heat pump, have you, it's both heat pump and air conditioning. But somebody's asking about a VRF system and when I looked it up, it said it was basically a head unit placed there in several rooms with the condenser and all the other stuff outside. I mean, that's really the definition a variable refrigerant flow simply means it sends it where it's needed, right, I mean, I don't know if it is a trying to.
Speaker 4: I think that's all mini splits each room. You can set attempt to whatever you want, right, That's exact. That's the whole damn typus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so whoever was asking about that, That's what we've been talking about the whole time, is basically a variable flow of refrigerant to different rooms based on what that room needs. Hey, Bob, aren't they like.
Speaker 4: The most ouh? We gotta go hold on Tom Martino here.
Speaker 3: And for those who've stayed to the bitter end, you know what it's gonna pay for itself. You know, we talked about replacing the furnace. When you do the AC Bob's gonna make it really easy at plumb Line Services. What do you have, Bob?
Speaker 10: Yeah, right now, regardless of what system you buy, when you buy an air conditioning unit, we will give you the matching furnace for free, we'll ask you to pay for the labor, but you get the furnace for free. And then on top of that, Excel has some tremendous rebates, and so does a federal government. And so when you throw all those together, you can just save a tremendous.
Speaker 3: Amount of money, like how much like thousands?
Speaker 10: Well, the rebates Federal and Excel combined are up to nine thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Just for getting high efficiency?
Speaker 10: Just the rebates correct, And of course the value of the furnace, you know, could be twenty twenty five hundred dollars on top of that.
Speaker 3: So so you get a free matching furnace when you buy the AC correct, and you get the rebates, right, I get it. Plus you get the rebates.
Speaker 10: And then Excel and federal rebates go along on top of that, depending on what you buy.
Speaker 3: That's plumbline Services dot Com. Plumbline Services dot com. Three oh three, five, eight, six, ten eighty six. I'm Tom Martino. We have more coming up tomorrow. I want you to join us. Make sure you call three oh three Martino for help, information and referrals, and we'll get you in the next show. Three oh three Martino, Follow Tom Martino at Real Tom Martino, and stay connected with all of us at six thirty k khow dot com and on the heart radio app. This is Denver's talk station, six thirty k House