Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Some days, the proof that the Lord loves us is so evident, it's so obvious. We can feel it in our bones, can't we yes? And the proof today is the RFK Junior bear story. It has everything. It has a Kennedy drunk at Central Park with a carcass of a dead bear, with at one point his hand in the bear's mouth, and the fact that the New Yorker made that phone called a fact check that story. How ridiculous would you feel if you're at the desk of the New Yorker and it comes across your desk, the story about a drunken Kennedy in Central Park with a dead bear, and you're like.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'm not gonna make that call. This is ridiculous. This didn't happen. How could this have happened?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: And then you make the call and he's like absolutely yeah, and he's like, let me add to a little bit more background to it.
Speaker 3: There was also a bike in my car, and I was going to pretend that the bear was hit by a bicycle.
Speaker 1: Who has a bike in their car? And how can I get an invite to one of those dinner parties where you're just wasted and you're talking about what am I going to do with this dead bear? And y'all come up with the plan to stage a fake bike accident.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a fun time, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: I feel like I only go to boring dinners now.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's nothing else going on today.
Speaker 2: There's a global financial crisis.
Speaker 3: Ah Iran is about to completely, you know, open up the skies and rain down fury upon Israel.
Speaker 1: One of the one of the worst headlines I read this morning is President Biden is meeting with his national security team as there's growing a fears of an attack by Iron on Israel.
Speaker 2: Could you have less confidence in the head of the country.
Speaker 3: That meeting is supposed to be two hours from now, two hours or so, eleven fifteen, I think our time.
Speaker 2: What does that even look like?
Speaker 3: Security team in the situation room, A lot of PowerPoint, a lot of grainy video. I suppose all of that. Oh, Bangladesh, Bangladesh is melting down. I know that you're's pretty high on your chart of things to watch for. Oh, and tropical storm Debbie, just downgraded to a tropical storm from a hurricane, is about to bring thirty inches of rain to places in Georgia and South Carolina.
Speaker 1: A twelve year old boy was just killed by Debbie when a tree fell on him.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's you know, good news, bad news.
Speaker 1: A massive space rock is going to go hurtling past Earth, zooming by just us, zooming by ten times faster than a bullet. This is the first time an asteroid of its size is coming this close that people in Western Europe and Africa will see it without a telescope, no binoculars needed. With the naked eye, you'll see this asteroid whizzing past. Unfortunately, a bad news. It's not going to hit us. Also, we have to wait five years for it. Oh it's nine anticipation, April thirteenth. Oh, it's a Friday the thirteenth. By the way, twenty twenty nine. They said that it's not going to hit Earth this time, but it's going to come close enough that we can get enough information to find out how close it's going to come the next time. Because that's a little bit more problematic. We'll all be dead, your kids will be dead.
Speaker 3: CNN is reporting that Kamala Harris has not yet chosen who her running it is going to be. This is the weird story of the day, and compared to everything else that's going on, this will get the most attention and then we'll fade into the nothingness quicker than any of the other stories.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's the case, because if she does pick Josh Shapiro, there's growing concern that the far left will freaking riot at the DNC because he's Jewish or pro Israel.
Speaker 3: I did see I saw write up. I think it was this morning or late last night. It was about describing Jos Shapiro as why he was number one on the list, but that there are some potential negatives and like he's not progressive enough when it comes to Israel and Gaza right now, and in fact had written that paper when he was twenty years old that suggested that there would never be a two state solution because the Palestinians can't control their violence, all that sort of stuff. Somebody described Jos Shapiro as having an allure similar to what Barack Obama had, but because he's a practicing Jew, they referred to him as baruk Obama, which I thought was really funny, but it also plays into the very far left. They don't want a Jewish guy now because they think that we're already way to behold into Israel and.
Speaker 2: They're fighting for Hamas.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think right now what's happening is the decision was made, but they're trying to gauge the fervor when it comes to how pissed are people about that particular issue and will it ruin the chances. I haven't seen a swing like this forever. Three weeks ago, was it three weeks ago? We sat here and said this is a lock for Trump. After the assassination attempt, there was no way in the world that I.
Speaker 2: Could see anybody beating him.
Speaker 1: And now I feel like the pendulum has swung into this Kamala momentum cycle.
Speaker 3: Well, there's been a couple of polls that suggested that there was a seven or eight point swing over the last couple of months, sorry, last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I can feel it. Yeah, it's odd.
Speaker 3: Mark Kelly was one of the other candidates potentially for vice president. He posted something last night on Twitter and then immediately deleted it. It was it said quote, I spent my life in the Navy and at NASA, where the mission always comes first. Now my mission is serving Eraz hmm. I wonder if that means he knows he didn't get the job. Yes, he and Josh Shapiro and Minnesota Governor Tim Walls sort of a late entrant. Those three guys all met with the Vice President at the Naval Observatory, the official residence of the Vice President in Washington yesterday, and then there were some other names that were thrown around, like Pete Boodhagi and supposedly these meetings were to see if the Vice president jives with the guys that could be her vice president. So the expectation is that they'll have an answer or they'll have an announcement sometime soon, because they're going on a five day tour right away Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that is, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada all over the course of the next five days.
Speaker 1: Christy is on CNN right now saying that she needs to pick a VP more moderate than her and that may be that may be the move here because she is so far in line, or she appeared the optics are that she's more in line with a far far left, so they'll be happy with her at the top of the ticket.
Speaker 3: Would he say that Josh Shapiro is that more moderate person? Interesting?
Speaker 1: Can we stop asking Jimmy Carter? Can we stop making that phone call knocking on that door about what he thinks about the current political climate?
Speaker 3: Let him live peace.
Speaker 2: He's ninety five years old. Let the man rest.
Speaker 3: Australia again, nothing to see here, has raised its terror threat level from probable to possible, citing an increase in extremist views in Australia. The Prime Minister Anthony Albany said that he had raised the country's threat level following advice from security services. All in the background, Iran expected to attack Israel in the next say, twenty four to forty eight hours. Fine Axios says that Secretary of State Anthony Blinken told the G seven yesterday that an attack in response was imminent. This would be the second time that Iran has directly attacked Israel. Remember back in April they sent what was it, three hundred or so missiles and drones overnight, But unlike that one in April, the US admitted in private call with the G seven members. It doesn't know what the expected retaliatory strike would look like. And we have a metric s ton of naval resources currently stationed throughout the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Oh, and there's a hurricane.
Speaker 3: There is a hur Well, it was a hurricane. Good news is that Debbie's been downgraded to a tropical storm.
Speaker 2: But she's still killing children.
Speaker 3: Well, there's that. I mean, we'll get two and then and then Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Wall Street now currently down seven sixty. It was down by as much as eleven hundred and change earlier in the trading day. Experts say the fear is coming from those weak jobs numbers that we saw on Thursday that indicate recession, the fact that the FED may have stayed too high for too long, early unemployment benefits being applied for, which is an indicator of massive layoffs. Experts say that this could be an overreaction to a few of those weak economic data points, maybe a course correction because we still remain high on all three markets. But that I believe the phrase was we're normalizing. But this right now feels like too much shock and awe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Barry Banister is the chief equity strategist at stifle, and he suggested the one thing that could come from this is that the FED cuts it cuts interest rates. Whether they do it by a quarter point, half a point, fifty.
Speaker 4: Basis points is not expected. Plus it would be a very bad signal. I think Chairman Powell doesn't want the market to believe that there's an outright Fed put you know, I was thinking over the weekend when we had the soft Thursday Friday that it reminded me of nineteen eighty seven, before the crash on Monday October nineteenth. Back then it was the deutsch Mark. Now it's the Japanese yend, but the circumstances were similar. Greenspan responded by cutting rates, and ever since then, the market believes they have a safety net with the FED. To have fifty basis points would be a huge mistake, but they probably will watch the data and by the September meeting, if not, maybe before, depending on financial conditions, do a quarter point it.
Speaker 1: They'll leak it if they're going to do that, just to calm things down, you know, in post nineteen eighty seven, they also put in a safety net in terms of stopping trading.
Speaker 2: Does everyone just pump the brakes.
Speaker 3: So the other thing is a lot of people four to oh one k, for example, is trending on Twitter today because people are making jokes about, oh, don't look at your four okay if you don't like it. This is one of those situations where if you're a day trader, if you're doing this thing by the hour, you're losing your pants right now. And guys like Jeff Bezos lose five billion dollars today, but they're fine. They'll be just fine. Greg McBride CFA bank Rate. He says, if you're a normal investor, just relax.
Speaker 5: Market corrections, which is a ten percent pull back from a high, tend to happen on average about once a year every twelve months or so. We're overdue, so you know, put it in that context. If you're saving for retirement, this is a game we play over decades. You can't be distracted by day to day volatility.
Speaker 3: That being said, this is a worldwide thing. The markets around the world are reacting to this because of the importance of our economy and their fear that our economy may be pointed towards recession.
Speaker 1: And that's what we learned in nineteen eighty seven of how interconnected we are globally with all of our markets. Did you say, did I hear you say Jeff Bezos was going to be just fine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank god, because it's what you're morning about.
Speaker 1: This whole morning I've just been I mean, what will happen to Jeff Bezos?
Speaker 3: They make a big point out of like Jeff Bezos elon musk eleven billion dollars over the course of three days. Care not okay, he loses eleven billion dollars in the laundry, right, is Everything's gonna be okay? All right? Tropical Storm Debbie was a hurricane back down to tropical storm gonna cause massive, massive problems along the South.
Speaker 2: Also, who's a bigger bitch, Debbie or the balance beam?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Is that too much?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Did you hear about the hot Paraguayan swimmer who was kicked out of the Olympic village because she's too hot in a distraction?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: She retired, didn't she? She did via social media post, I believe. But she was coming in like sixth and seventh in her heats, so it wasn't going well. But yeah, super hot swimmer and was told to leave. And then there's the French poll vaulter. Now, listen, did you see the video?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: How could you not? The thing that doesn't look natural to pull hit his knees first, that's why it was bouncing, and then it caught his joke his.
Speaker 2: Penis, scary penis, and the bar came down.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, there's a there's the video is insane like that is how tall is that person?
Speaker 2: It must be a tall person.
Speaker 3: Right, Why are you asking that?
Speaker 2: Have you seen the video?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, but when you're.
Speaker 1: Not freaking shocked by that that hit it hit his that it was that that it looked like that significant.
Speaker 2: Significant is a good word.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know what. I don't know if that's a common pole vaulter thing. Maybe it's a characteristic that that's the wrong sport for those people. Because the other pole vault video, by the way, is the guy who went and puts the pole down on the little thing and gets up and then falls all the way back down, like he'd even make it up to the pole, to the to the bar. The legal fight between crowd Strike and Delta Airline is ratcheting up a notch, and this is good crowdstrikes lawyers delivered a letter to push back against claims that it was responsible for Delta. You remember Delta had to cancel thousands of flights. Delta is solely responsible according to CrowdStrike. Now the reason they even wrote the letter was because Delta hired David Boyce, the world renowned attorney to rush yeah, to represent Delta because they're seeking five hundred million dollars in damages from CrowdStrike.
Speaker 1: I like it when I get to say a lap Appalachia Cola. That's a fun that's that's a fun town to say. But unfortunately the news out of that part of the country is not great. A thirteen year old boy was killed this morning when a tree fell on his mobile home. This is cedar Key, Florida, if you know the area and Hillsborough County, Florida. Driver of a semi was killed when the truck went into a canal off Interstate two seventy five this morning. More than three hundred thousand people remain without power because of Debbie.
Speaker 3: Debbie made landfall as a Category one hurricane and then within the last hour or so is downgraded back down to a tropical storm. Governor Ron de Santis. They're in Florida, says they are getting ready.
Speaker 6: We have three thousand service members from the Florida National Guard that are on standby, and that includes search and rescue, route clearance, distribution, and protection of critical infrastructure. They have ten rotary aircraft and over four hundred tactical vehicle stage to support.
Speaker 3: He actually had to remind people in Florida not to use generators indoors.
Speaker 2: That checks out.
Speaker 1: If you've got an American flight, keep your eye on it, even though we're far away. Because American airlines are seeing some big impacts that they have hubs in Miami and Charlotte, and so there's been fifteen hundred flights canceled already, So it may have a ripple of throughout the rest of the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina are the ones that are paying attention now. I mean, as this thing moves through, it's not going very fast, which is going to be a problem. The suggestion from the National Hurricane Center was that we could see twenty plus inches of rain. The director of the National Hurricane Center said it could go as high as thirty although I think he's kind of backed off a little bit on that, But you're talking about South Carolina and Georgia specifically. Just watching this thing churn right there along the coast, and if it slows down, that means a lot more rain and the potential for like I said, twenty plus inches of rain up to thirty inches in parts of Southeast Georgia and South Carolina.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've said the phrase historic flooding at least three times since the start of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you.
Speaker 1: Hear about this new technology AI being tested in the UK to identify those at risk of a heart attack? Game changer That AI can detect inflammation in the heart that cat scans and X rays can't see. How I'm not a scientist, Good lord, I can't tell you because I am a doctor. Be a paragraph or something that patient I don't read behind the first couple of sentences. I learned it from Conway. Patients with heart inflammation are twenty to thirty times more likely to die over the next ten years of a cardiac issue.
Speaker 2: Have you made your appointment?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna make.
Speaker 1: Your appointment with a cardiologist? Or are we just gonna wait for you to die?
Speaker 2: In here?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Maybe for ratings that would be something if you had a heart attack live on the air. Yeah, and then I would run and I'd be able to get the defib machine.
Speaker 2: And the alarm would sound.
Speaker 3: I'd ask Jacob to do that.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you're it's too bad for you. You don't have that luxury. You're on the floor with the heart attack.
Speaker 3: As long as we break on time, that's fine, right.
Speaker 1: Wow, And know Jacob was in management. Now great, almost had a chance. He's wearing a sport code with leather patches on.
Speaker 2: The That's actually what Mike Schaeffer used to wear.
Speaker 3: All the time. Former President Trump ranted on truth Social over the weekend that he wasn't going to debate Vice President Harris on any other debate stage besides the one set to be hosted by Fox News in Pennsylvania September fourth. The ABC News debate was originally scheduled between Trump and Biden before Biden dropped out of the race. Who knows, Who knows if this ever comes to be. The campaign to be the vice president's vice president is reaching its final hours. You've got Josh Shapiro out of Pennsylvania, Senator Mark Kelly of Arizona, Governor Tim Wallsom Minnesota. They all met with the Vice president yesterday. The campaign has protected all of these very final last minute stages and have not yet said when there will be an announcement, but we know the time is because the campaign is offering details on what they say will be the five day tour that the VP and the new VP choice would be making seven swing state cities Philadelphia, Euclaire, Wisconsin, Detroit, Durham, North Carolina, Savannah, Georgia, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, just over the next several days.
Speaker 1: Simone Biles adding a silver medal to her collection as she wraps up her time at the Paris Olympics. She finished behind Brazil's Rebecca Andreid andrad I don't know. I've never gotten clarification on that. Onrage Andraja, they were saying beautiful, what a beautiful name.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, some of Bile says, I don't want to compete against Andrage anymore.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting. She's too good, she keeps it too close.
Speaker 1: She won the gold today in women's floor exercise.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say this about this whole Simone Biles thing. She's clearly the greatest gymnast that we've seen ever in our lifetime for certain as likely, it's okay if she falls off the balance beable like this whole thing of She failed to win the gold medal for the first time at these Olympics, and they've been serving as this emphatic comeback from the disappointment three years ago in Tokyo. She doesn't lose, she doesn't lose any street creb Street cred in my mind. If she falls off the balance beam, I mean, she's been there for weeks, for a couple of weeks, right, She's she's been training for this. Yes, we see her at her peak and we see her pull out these amazing performances, but you can't do that all the time every time.
Speaker 1: She also said over the weekend, I need reporters to stop and I'm paraphrasing here, to stop asking gymnasts what's next. Like, let us soak in the fact that we just want a gold medal or a bronze medal, what have you. Let's just sit in it for a while. Let's soak in the countless times we left the house at three in the morning to go train all day for five hundred years.
Speaker 2: Let's just enjoy it.
Speaker 1: However, that said, she has not shut the door on competing at the twenty twenty eight LA Olympics. She's twenty seven, so she'd be in her thirties at this point. That would be a feat. I was watching do you remember what you did?
Speaker 3: At thirty one that I was watching Texas West Little League against Louisiana Little League at part Southwest Finals for the getting to the Little League World Series. Some of those kids are four foot eight, just like Simone Biles, and they are tiny people. I still cannot wrap my head around how short she is.
Speaker 1: Well, that's part of the aerodynamic feat. The fact that she's so strong in that kind of physique leads her to and I'm not saying that she has any I'm not saying she was born on third at all. I'm just saying it plays into how she's able to get that much speed and get that high up in the air because she's that athletic and tiny.
Speaker 2: You couldn't do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I couldn't climb a ladder to eleightin feet and she just does it on the floor routine on a regular basis, you know.
Speaker 1: And but that said, yeah, the balance mean this very tough apparatus that said, I have worked in some training exercises for us today to get better on the beam.
Speaker 3: Okay, what is that gonna entail? Are we gonna tape off a little? How?
Speaker 2: Why is it that four in four inches? That's a really good idea.
Speaker 3: Tape off a little four inch thing? Not look at it, that means.
Speaker 2: A masking tape.
Speaker 3: There was there was a there was a sad. I don't know if sad's the right word. There was a moment yesterday when golf came to a close. Scottie Scheffler won the gold. I think it was Hideki Matsuyama that came in with bronze.
Speaker 2: That's one of those names you like to say, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's showing off.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Tom Kim for the Koreans not as much fun to say, not yeah, not enough syllables to make it fun. He came in eighth. Now, had he meddled the country of South Korea eliminates his mandatory military service?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: If he meddles. He didn't meddle. So he was crying, oh my, because he now has to Now, I'm sure he was, But he was crying because he.
Speaker 1: Well that's also part of the world where you really let your country down, like it is ingrained that you need to do well for your country in that regard. A couple things. Number One, it's three point nine three seven inches wide. The beam just shy of four inches.
Speaker 3: Okay, so well we'll make it four.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to shave your feet down.
Speaker 3: What you don't cut off? My corn's hanging off the side.
Speaker 1: Also, I don't like this whole China leads us in gold medals? Does that make me a sixty seven year old man? And I'm like, China, No, it's fine. I mean I don't like it. I know that we lead, the United States leads in the medal count, but we're behind China the last time I checked.
Speaker 3: In golds in golds specifically, that's okay. That's not okay. Well, I mean it's okay.
Speaker 2: How do you accept that?
Speaker 3: That's good? Thing is we don't determine value based on or importance in the world based on the Olympic medal.
Speaker 1: I think that we should compete in all ways.
Speaker 2: In all ways, you.
Speaker 3: Just like the competition. There are crazy events. I was trying to watch dressage yesterday.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: That's the horses?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: It just looks like the horses are in a big rectangular dirt lot and they're just trotting around. I do not understand any of.
Speaker 2: The address them up. You put ribbons on your horses.
Speaker 3: Something about how you make they have certain moves that they have to do, Like they have to clop one way and trot another way and then clop sideways.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: A horse performing the discipline of dressage must have three free, elastic and regular gates, which are a four beat walk with no moment of suspension, a two beat trot with a moment of suspension between each diagonal beat, and a three beat canter with a moment of suspension following the three beats.
Speaker 2: This is why rich people do this.
Speaker 3: That's exact. And the horse is the one that's doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gary, it is the horse.
Speaker 3: No, I mean the horse.
Speaker 1: The horse doesn't get the gold medal. I'm sure they probably do. I think they get it. I think I think that's exactly what happens. I hope, so I'll look it up. But I was also watching kayak cross.
Speaker 3: Kyak cross, four kayakers go down the completely artificial shoot and they're basically banging into each other as they're trying to go around the gates. It was also very insane.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're right, the horses don't receive their own medals.
Speaker 2: What a stupid, freaking world we live in? How dare we?
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab