Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than on going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of September sixteenth, we're discussing season four, episode four of Only Murders in the Building. It was called The stunt Man, And you may have feared that we were going back to Hollywood, but we were not really, except that's a very end. But the whole thing was still Hogwood.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it was TV shows, Grid of People, Stuntman. Hey, it's Paul Rudd, It's Paul's screen time that he had the entire season last year. Oh my goodness, did they like owe him a favor? Yeah, okay, we killed you off twice, but you can come back the following season, Apple whole showcase to yourself, to an accent, you can wear.
Speaker 2: Facial hair, you can do all sorts of weird still, black out one of your teeth, do whatever you want. Man, you just go wild.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, it was nice to see him for five minutes and then it's like, oh, this is just.
Speaker 2: Gonna be too much free for all of Paul Rudd. Yes, he was playing his character Ben Glenroy's stunt double because this episode, as we said, is called The stunt Man, so they were kind of thought following the thread of sas in the stunt person community and to the stunt people. Bar visited The stunt Person Chiropractor and I will just as a brief aside, I did end up watching The fall Guy recent you which stunt people. It was fun. It was, you know, just very very slight and frothy, which you would expect from what you know about it, but it was quite entertaining and I enjoyed Emily Blunt in it as well as Ryan Gosling, you know, just again similar to his portrayal of Ken was just you know, no vanity, like just constantly being like beat up and dropped from high places and punched and all kinds of So yeah, it was you know, him as a stuntman, and there was quite a bit of you know the actor playing him or the actor he he doubled for. Yes, there was. Well, the whole plot was involving the two of them and Hannah Wantingham also, right, Hannah Wattingham is in it, and she's very fun too. She plays a producer. Yeah, so yeah, it was. It was very entertaining. I would say it.
Speaker 1: Sounds I wonder if it's the sort of thing that's more fun to watch on streaming than to go to a theater for although it sounds like it would be maybe fun to watch it with other people who were into it. Yeah, because it didn't do at the box office what they thought it was going to.
Speaker 2: Do, right, and there's nothing does right now, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hope that it will recover in streaming, which I think might well happen. I would love to see it. It's on Peacocks, so yeah, I wish I wish them both well. All three of them. Well, actually, yes, movie and give me something to watch other than just rewatching all the Ken stuff over and over again. Oscars one scene from Crazy Stupid Love that keeps coming up that I see all over and over and over again with him. Never seen the movie, don't even know if I want to see the movie, but that scene is just I could just watch it endlessly.
Speaker 2: Right anyway, anyway, back to the stun people.
Speaker 1: I mean, the stun person bar was fun. A lot of the stunt person processing stuff was fun, yes, and Paul Rudd was fun for the first little bit but then okay, man, okay.
Speaker 2: And also the movies Buddy, what's good? What's going on in your career? My friend? Did you have? The was inconsistently applied as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but so you know what, they just.
Speaker 2: Let them run, right, So we did get a little more backstory on the Westies.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Parenting wise, we had the surly teen complaining about how comes she can't have her own apartment? Yes, which was fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, especially if what she wants is the apartment that's like right next to her parents, next door to her parents, seems like that seems like a good deal. Man, You might want to consider that, Dad. It's working for my family. It's not exactly a separate apartment that we have, but it's downstairs, right, better than her trying to find an apartment someplace else in New York and not I mean, as Mabel illustrates, not really possible, right, but.
Speaker 2: Not for the sum that they are.
Speaker 1: Somehow I think there's going to be more to it than this, but maybe not right.
Speaker 2: I have a friend, somebody I used to work with years and years ago, who has a rent control apartment. Uh huh that is on Madison Avenue in the sixties, you know, like prime and enormous that you know he's paying something like one hundred dollars, you know, a ridiculous thumb like it's it's a true New York rent control yeah thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there some like some story somewhere of like like real estate developers killing off these people? Yeah, if that is the only murders in the building, I would like to see, let's let's get some New York flavor in there.
Speaker 2: Let's hope that's not what happens to my friend. No, but I could see I could see that being or like want to live in New York, want to shove them out. Yeah, I could see that playing a part.
Speaker 1: There's a movie that's just coming out called His Three Dollar with Natasha Leone and Carrie Kohon and Elizabeth Olsen. And I was just reading a I've seen various clips of it, and I was just reading a synopsis of it the other day, and there is a plot line that hinges on rent control rent rent a control department and who should who should receive it when its current occument passes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a.
Speaker 1: Thing, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seems like more interesting than some of the stuff they're serving us up. But I'm crabby, apparently I'm grabby. So and boy did they double triple quadruple down on the old guys with technology?
Speaker 2: Ohrious goodness, just yelling at Oliver, yelling at the iPad, turn it down.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know how to turn down the dim the brightness on his iPad, but he knows how to set up a Finsta or he knows to set up a fence to account.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't think he would know how to set up an Instagram account at all. Mabel would need to do that for him. So it's like selectively.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just possibly because I am now an old person. Knock it off.
Speaker 2: I am the dvlogy person in my family.
Speaker 1: I'll have you know.
Speaker 2: Even Howard is like Mabel, you need to teach me podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh body google it. There ye are endless tutorials. Right, go get yourself some audacity and then you can for free edit it yourself.
Speaker 2: That's great, super eazy. I'm sure everybody wants to hear you talk to a.
Speaker 1: Pig, right, Yes, So I noticed that that actor who plays Howard, Michael Searle Creighton, is that his name? He is like in the opening credits now after them, just like he's like the only other regular. He's like the fourth member of the Chao. I don't think he had that billing in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So maybe because he's like the only person who's been in four of them other than the leads. I don't know how he got that, but it's like they are committed to giving him one weird scene a week. Right, this week, you're gonna be in bed with a pig and talking about doing a podcast with animals. Right, and oh, actually he also got to audition to play himself, to play himself and yes.
Speaker 2: And it was weird because they were like, you're not, like they were very dismissive of him, but they also were like, you're amazing and you're going to be in it. Didn't they say something like that was cause Hollywood, Hollywood people who knows what they're on about?
Speaker 1: He's crazy screenwriters, nutty producers.
Speaker 2: The directors called the brothers, yes, our sisters. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know, however believable the rent control thing is and the subletting and all that. Obviously, the stuff about the lady on the ham radio is not has not been been convincingly explained, right, But I did enjoy them saying that that she's the wrong kind of weirdo, Like we're all she's the wrong kind of weirdo, because I feel like, from a parenting point of view, that your kid gets that sometimes you know, your kid's a little different and everybody else wants to be a little different, but not that kind of a little different, right. I think my kids have both at one time or another, been the wrong kind of weirdo, and you know, we like to encourage them to.
Speaker 2: To be their be your own cum a weirdo, but.
Speaker 1: It's rough when even the other weirdos won't give you the time for.
Speaker 2: Sure, Although it's a little hard to buy Camille nan Gianni as a weirdo because the only thing that makes him weird is the Christmas thing. You know, he's like attractive, super built influencer. You know, why is he hanging around with these people?
Speaker 1: How much money do you make being an influenll Yes, you need you need the two hundred dollars builder. I think you need the two hundred dollars apartment and the free ham and.
Speaker 2: Somebody to play card games with. I guess I don't know. Those hams I believe are extremely expensive. Yeah, Like, I don't know if Dude enof is making any money on this deal if he send them one of those giant hams once a month, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, these don't understand hams. What is the purpose of having a pig there? I thought the gig was a future ham, But it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Take years for that pig to be the right side.
Speaker 1: Pretty just so much stuff thrown up against the bulletin board without any particular apparent plan, right, but a lot of Hollywood process not so much mystery, but a lot of Hollywood process. Yes, indeed, and then Charles is led through his dreams to remember that Saz wanted to set up this trampoline park right in New Jersey. I noticed on the sign. And so there they turn up there, and who should they find in the dark room with creaking noises of people in it?
Speaker 2: They just walk into Yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys, you've been doing this for four seasons, now, have you learned nothing?
Speaker 2: Clearly not.
Speaker 1: I guess they've learned that they someone did say, because they have contracts.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Well Mabel was going in there first, and someone's like, be careful, like it's probably not going to cut it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and hey, I think all of us is thank god, thank god someone from show business.
Speaker 2: When it turns out to be Molly Shannon. But she looked like, uh, she did not look happy to see them.
Speaker 1: She did not Molly Shannon doing the acting. Look at her, she's acting.
Speaker 2: But was she acting before or is she acting now?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Question she's curing Hams back there or something. Making Christmas decorations could be target practice, all sorts of possibilities, but I guess I would think that it's going to turn out to be something silly.
Speaker 2: Well, see, she looked pretty menacing there.
Speaker 1: He did, so did the so did the people in the apartment. But they're now just just illegal sub letters. That's all right, just weirdo. Yep, the right kind of weirdom. I may be the wrong kind of weirdo.
Speaker 2: For the show.
Speaker 1: I am just this happens sometimes with shows, and it's been creeping up on this one. And I mean, honestly, they had Sting as a suspect in the first season, so not necessarily creeping, but just everybody wants to be in it. Everybody wants to be a part of it. You can get higher and higher profile file people. You can get bleep in Meryl Streep and keep her like off screen for episodes and episodes, and and then you have to like make you make a product that can accommodate these things, which is maybe not as good as the product you would have produced if you had just been concentrating on, Hey, let's do a mystery, right, So again, I say, I'm gonna have to go back and watch season one again and see if it's as twisty and interesting as I remember it being when it was still a thing that had you know, three very well known stars in it, so not exactly a gritty cable nothing.
Speaker 2: But still, but in that first season being over critical or do you feel like it's just a little much, Well, I think you know what you're saying about the first season makes a lot of sense. I mean, remember we didn't know anything about Mabel in that season either, so that was a whole, big piece of it. That yeah, has you know, all happily and there was a.
Speaker 1: Lot of stuff going on, and a lot of There was a whole thing with the Nathan Lane and his deaf son and that there was you know, didn't know what the deal was with.
Speaker 2: Him, and.
Speaker 1: It seems less glossy and more interesting. But this is fun, you know, I'm not I'm not made of stone. It's fun.
Speaker 2: But a little fun goes a long way. Maybe good week.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it is what it is, and I'm still watching it, so yes, but.
Speaker 2: We'll still we're still watching it.
Speaker 1: So next week, when when Oliver kept yelling for everybody who's yelling, turn your brightness down, turn your brightness down, I was thinking it's the motto for this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So next week we'll discuss the next episode of Only Murders in the building. Season four, it is called adaptation continuing this movie title themes. And I have a feeling we are going back to Hollywood. I just have this feeling. Yeah, it's gonna happen sooner later.
Speaker 1: Yes, it does. And uh so do we think that Meryl Streep is going to figure out who Ronnie is?
Speaker 2: Finsta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was just so Martin Short could have some like midwestern mom shtick.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, which he did a good He did a good job with the accents, like I mean, we've seen her online, Yes we get it, ha ha.
Speaker 1: But maybe it will have some significance eventually. But Loretta is going to be ticked if she oh maybe she knows. I don't know, maybe she figured it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be. We'll see. We'll see. So that's next Wednesday. We will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup, which will include a chat about the premiere of Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at Parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.