Speaker 1: All right, let's get the six o'clock hours started, shall we.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty WHAS take us with you wherever you go this morning. You can listen live at whas dot com. You can also listen live on the iHeartRadio app, and within the art Radio app is a feature called the Talkback feature, which gives you the chance to chime in and share whatever it is you want. Questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, feel free to send them our way. All right, So we did start the day updating you on the big stories from yesterday, and of course one of those was what took place on Sunday afternoon at the Kentucky Fairgrounds where there was reports of an active shooter at both Kentucky Kingdom and also at a basketball tournament that had forty thousand people there. And I just think this happens to be just bad luck as far as just what led to. Like, if you are upset, which I'm bummed, I shouldn't say that I'm upset, because I just think it's unfortunate for this story to and again it's it's understandable that the story turned into what it turned into. It's understandable kind of how all of this happened. So I don't really know who if you're upset about it, I mean who you mad at, Like, who could have prevented this?
Speaker 1: Who's at fault? I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just a terrible timed, random thing that took place that hopefully the coverage now as we as we stand here at six h six is hopefully there's enough people that realize Louisville was that this is not an example to point out about Louisville being a dangerous and violent city. And anybody paying even a little bit of attention to this story specifically they know that, but a lot of people aren't paying specific attention. A lot of people saw this on the news wire Sunday that don't live here, or maybe they just don't follow things unless you know, it gets the attention that something like this gets. And I just you know, it's unfortunate because I'm not sure what could have been done to prevent it turning into what it turned into. So, as you heard there in the latest news cast from from John Shannon, what we now know is that it was a combination of these two things that really got this to what it turned into, and that was a ceiling tile falling and hitting a metal chair, which of course that'll create a very loud noise, especially when it's that far in the in the sky or in the air in the ceiling and hitting a metal chair. And then also a moment where a woman experienced a medical emergency nearby around that same time. So the combination of sounds of that tile hitting the chair and the sounds of a woman having a medical emergency, that commotion created people assuming that it was that it was an active shooter and all it takes is one person and to maybe think that's the case, and maybe they just they that's how they that's how they're wired, meaning they just they have word vomit and they didn't see it, but they were worried and they were scared, so they just said it. And now if somebody says it, you can't think they're joking, because that's just unfortunately today's society.
Speaker 1: So I just think it's it's terrible luck. I really do. Now.
Speaker 2: One of the LMPD spokesman yesterday who you heard there in the newscast with John Shannon, Matt Sanders. He talked a little bit about just the calls that prompted the response that you saw from LMPD on Sunday, which, by the way, any type of call of that nature, there's always going to be that kind of response.
Speaker 3: So that escalated to nine to one one calls for service for an active aggressor at their fairgrounds with forty thousand people prompting your police response. So when we show up on scene, we're in search mode, and then when we hear gunshots, it's fast as you can go. You're blowing past doors. You're not searching anymore, you're going to the sound of gunshots. We never heard that yesterday.
Speaker 2: So again, this is one of those situations that I don't know who's at fault. I think LMPD showing up the way that they did. If you are somebody that is there already fearful of what's going to happen, because the assumption is that there's an active aggressor, somebody with a gun, and you're probably scrambling to find your your loved ones who you're there with. Maybe that I mean, even if you're there as a referee or something, you're there by yourself, like it's a scary situation that clearly is is something that can that can stick with you, just having that moment of helplessness, that feeling and fear. But I mean, if I saw law enforcement show up the way that they did, my I mean, I don't know where my mind would be, but it would only more so make me think this is real. That is that that's they're here reacting like this because they know And again you're not. You're not You're not investigating the those who show up as if they have the right to be. You know, it's you're not overthinking in that moment I wouldn't expect. So it sucks and I just don't know if there's much that could have been done to prevent it. It's just a bad set of circumstances that I hope just doesn't end up being something. And look, anybody claiming that this is an example of of let me try to make sense, I'm about to go down a path where I think I may lose you, just because as I was trying to think about how I want to lay it out, I was confusing myself. But even though people will know that this ended up being not a real threat, there was no real danger. This wasn't an incident where Louisville can be, you know, described as a dangerous place with a lot of gun violence.
Speaker 1: Now we are that, trust me.
Speaker 2: But this is clearly just this is just bad luck. But just knowing that it happened, it'll it still sticks with people to where there's that stigma. And again, I'm not saying that we don't have issues as far as gun violence and whatnot, but I just hope that this has no impact on the future of the tournament. And a lot of the coverage you're seeing about players, parents, coaches being interviewed, this was all before they realized that there was They were never in danger. There was no threat, and I just I don't know, I think that should be emphasized more than it is, but that's just me. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. Also, if you were somebody that is looking to buy a new car any time soon, Uncle Sam might be ready to give you a tax break just for financing it, so we'll talk about that. I think that's one of the things that is a is a good thing that's coming from from the recent tax cuts from Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: So we'll get that in a lot more. It's consecutive.
Speaker 2: It's more news with coffee and company right here our news Radio eight forty whas So, when it comes to situations like Sunday spreading the way that they the way that they do on social media, there's a lot of factors in that, but one of them is the groups out there that follow the police scanner, and I think that's led to certain people. I know of a couple folks that were there at the event, and I guess they didn't realize just maybe they were late in realizing what was going on. Maybe they weren't near where the tile fell and hit the chair and created just that commotion that had everybody thinking there was potentially an active shooter there. But it spreads like wildfire on social media because the Facebook groups that follow this they and I think these people at times just want to have information and maybe they want to help, but they'll read or hear. Actually what happens is someone will will overhear somebody probably reacting to a nine one call that had come in, and then they'll paraphrase it as best they can and it just maybe gets exaggerated every time it is shared, and that sometimes leads to just misinformation getting out there. So I'm sure there LMPD appreciates those that are that are trying to help. But sometimes you know, if you don't have the right info, it can be you could be hurting more than helping. But anyhow, nothing, it was nothing, which again is good. I just to know that it easily could have been avoided. That's that's what's got me bummed out a little bit. All Right, it's six nineteen here at Kentucky and it's morning News, Coffee and company with you on News radio eight forty whas So right now, if you are somebody that is looking for a new vehicle here in twenty twenty five, there's a tax credit that could benefit you. So under Trump's newly signed tax law, some vehicles will now be you'll able. Yeah, so for a while you've been able to forever you've been able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxes. But with this newly signed law, some vehicle buyers can also qualify for that same type of break.
Speaker 1: So here's what you need to know.
Speaker 2: The tax cut law allows individuals to deduct up to ten thousand dollars annually and interest paid on loans for new American assembled vehicles purchased for personal use. The deduction applies from twenty twenty five through twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: So here's who's eligible.
Speaker 2: You must purchase a new light duty vehicle less than fourteen thousand pounds light duty vehicle, and it's got to be assembled here in the United States. The loan must originate in twenty twenty five or later. And this applies only to personal use vehicles. If you're looking to take advantage of this for commercial or fleet purchases, it doesn't doesn't count.
Speaker 1: So again we're.
Speaker 2: Talking about you could save save quite a bit of money. I mean, at nine point three percent, total savings over four years could be around twenty two hundred dollars. So I feel like that's that's that's some people will probably be taking advantage of. So there you go. The more you know. All right, we got an update of trafficking weather coming your way, Bobby Ellis. We'll getus caught up on the roadways as we get this Tuesday started. We'll get a check of the forecast from Matt Melossavitch a WLKY, and then we'll get another sports update with Scott Fitzgerald right here. On news radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News with coffee and company right here on news radio eight forty whas. So we talked about this, I believe, I believe it was late last week and it was former Louisville Cardinal Teddy Bridgewater who was requesting some assistance as far as helping fund the high school football program that he is coaching and has been funding out of his own pocket. And this is now turned into Teddy Bridgewater probably being done as their coach. And I'll give you the details here in just a moment. But what I think could happen this to me, is generating enough attention that I don't know what action can be taken that would make everybody say, Okay, you guys fixed it, you got it right. But man the decision to suspend him from them from being the coach because of learning of all the money that he paid out of his own pocket to help his program. He wasn't out there buying players. He was help He was helping them be able to get to practice. He was helping them have a meal before a game, because they wouldn't have probably had one without him helping. So him being punished for that, I mean, it's it's maybe the best example I can think of in a long time of the higher level I guess just the school systems. Do they like or do you care for the kids or not? I mean, to punish somebody for helping out. Isn't the root of what you do when it comes to athletics within the school system and even with the NCAA like Isn't it supposed to be about the athletes the players. So Teddy has had a rough few days, but he seems to be handling it like you would expect. Of course, he's a Louis of a legend, and he's one of those guys that I I wouldn't claim to know personally, but I've never heard anybody who does know him not pause what they're doing if his name comes up and talk about how good of a guy he is. And you can tell that that reputation is fitting when you just see the overall respect that he commanded in his ten plus years in the NFL, just as a guy who was a good locker room guy, a guy who you know, was a leader and did things the right way.
Speaker 1: So not at all not.
Speaker 2: I mean, Teddy's the kind of guy that would in fact retire from the NFL go coach his high school football team, pay thousands upon thousands of dollars out of his own pocket to help his community because he did in fact make it out to become a professional athlete and doing very well for himself. And then of course he had the random signing with the Detroit Lions at the end of his high school season because they just wanted another experienced quarterback on the roster for the playoffs. So anyways, what is now gotten him into some trouble is that the school has self reported violations because they claim what he did is technically against the rules, but there's really no What Teddy wants to emphasize, and it makes total sense, is that he does he volunteers, he doesn't. He's not a paid coach. They can't officially suspend him or investigate him whenever he doesn't work for them. I guess he kind of does. But anyways, Teddy, in a pretty fiery Facebook post, accused associate head coach Verne Lewis and others of trying to force him out because they, I guess want the gig. But he made it clear he's not going anywhere. He said he'll even volunteer from the bleachers if he has to, just like he did prior to becoming the coach. I mean, he would show up as an NFL uarterback on a Friday night and sit in the stands and watch his high school team play because that's just who he is. So he's a community first guy, cares a lot about his community and was funding a lot of the program himself and was asking for donations and it led to him now maybe not coaching again.
Speaker 1: And there were a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've got Des Bryant, Tyron, Matthew, RG three, Chanting Crowder, all of these and that's just a few as far as NFL players, highlighting his real love for his community, and it should be applauded not punished, which is true. So I mean, again, I know, you have to have rules, and if rules aren't enforced, then they're not rules, they're suggestions merely. But to me, this just seems like the best example as far as what you could present to say you might want to revaluate some of these rules. You might want to rethink sort of what you have in place, because this is not an example of somebody cheating or really, I mean, how could you look at what Teddy's doing and claim that like he's done anything wrong. But again I guess by technicality because of the rules, it's like impermissionble, impermissionble benefits or whatnot. Hey, look, Teddy Bridgewater could not pay a dime in Miami, Northwestern is still gonna always have all the players because that's what they've always done, And Teddy could not pay a dime to help them with meals and uber rides to practice where they don't have transportation, and they would still have all the players because they would want to play for a guy like Teddy Bridgewater. I mean, when we talked about this last week, I never for a second thought this would turn into him getting in trouble essentially and honestly losing his job that he volunteered for, that they didn't pay him for and he paid money out of his own pocket for. But that's where we are, and it's just a reminder of how archaics some rules are. Obviously, the NCAA gets way more attention on that because that's a national thing, and that is backfire. The NCAA wanting to hold onto their archaic amateurism model has led to some real cons sorrying about what college athletics looks like moving forward because the recent settlement and now the revenue having to be shared among athletes, that is going to change a lot moving forward. And it's all the NAA's fault for not revisiting things that you know, you probably should have revisited thirty forty years ago. So with high school, there's clearly some still there's clearly still some stupid rules in place that need to be reevaluated, because this is not somebody cheating, this is somebody just being a good human being. Also, I would assume that these other these other coaches that are trying to force them out, I mean, they probably want the gig.
Speaker 1: It's a good gig to have.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get an update on traffic from Bobby Ellis. We'll see how the Tuesday's getting started here as far as the roadways. Also, we get an update on the forecast from at Melosovich. As we move along here, it is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty Whas it is six forty six here Kentucky and it's Morning News, Coffee and Company, myself, Nick Coffee, John Alden alongside today and John we're gonna break some hearts as I say this for those who didn't know, both John and myself are married, So ladies, sorry, I hope you guys can sense sarcasm as well. But we're both married and I don't get in fights with my wife, and I guess a fight can be viewed as a different thing than let me a fight for me and my wife is that you know, she didn't kiss me good night when when she went to bed because she was sending a message. We don't actually fight, but we've got an update here. As far as the most common reasons why American couples in relationships fight and what may be the biggest trigger. As far as what leads to a fight starting any guess.
Speaker 4: I think it's probably something related to money.
Speaker 2: Money is number two. So you are, you are, You're on the right track. But when it comes to reasons, I guess the most common reasons why American couples fight and argue it is the tone of voice or attitude that the other one may have.
Speaker 4: That's a good one. Yeah, I think that might be the thing that makes my wife when I fight the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think tone of voice and attitude is why most humans end up going down a potential path of conflict. But I guess just because, like I mean to me, it would take like a real out of character uh situation for for one of us to say, Okay, we're fighting, meaning like you know we need I'm mad, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna let you know, I'm gonna be pasive, aggressive, or I'm just gonna call you out because you know you're you're you're given attitude and you're just being a And look, I'll admit it, hand up way more often me than her as far as just being moody, and she puts up with it and deals with it just fine. But we're different in that way. So for me, if she's given me any kind of uh on the mound, it's fine, it's fine. I'm not mad. When whenever clearly she's mad, like I don't leave it alone, I'm like, okay, like you can you know just what's going on, like and then we talk it through. Where with her, I think more than anything, she just doesn't care. She knows I'm just being a little you know what, and I'll get over it. But yeah, tone of voice, attitude?
Speaker 1: Is there?
Speaker 2: Is there a hair? I am putting you on the spot here. I'm sorry because it's your personal life. But is there And if you don't want answer, you don't have to. Is there a indicator for you when it comes to tone of voice or attitude for your lovely wife Alicia, that kind of lets you know she's in a bad mood an indicator.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe I'm just someone who's body like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, just we've already talked tone of voice, or if I can tell that she's just unhappy that maybe something hasn't gotten done around the house.
Speaker 1: That usually usually.
Speaker 4: Those types of things, I would say.
Speaker 2: I may regret this later, but I'll just say it. And Honey, when we got married, you married into this. Just just so you know you knew, you knew the deal when you signed up. My wife, well, she'll tell you this too. She just may not want me saying it on the air. She's got a real noticeable RBF oh man, resting b face to where and she knows it and she you know, is in fact that's it. Tom's been a way of getting her cheered up, because I'll just look at her, knowing she's bothered by something that's probably not a big deal, and I'll just say, man, you.
Speaker 1: Look like you hate life right now.
Speaker 2: And then she'll maybe have the awareness of, yeah, I don't know why, but I'm in a bad mood, and then maybe she gets over it so that or she's just being really and she doesn't do this anymore. This reminds me of when we were married, very young, or even before we were married and we were dating. If she's like thinking about something and she's trying to be passive, aggressive or just short with me, like I'm gonna pick up on it, and I'm gonna like just like, what is it? Like, what's going on? Like I don't want to do, you know, but I thin get maybe she's matured or and I'm sure she has, or maybe she just knows that if she ends up ends up, you know, just pouting and mop and I'm gonna say, what's going on? Just tell me be direct. So we don't really get into that anymore. But yeah, tone of voice. Gratitude is number one, and then money is number two. We'll do this in the seven o'clock hour, give you the other. There's a top ten list here as far as the reasons American couples fight the most, and I'm sure many of us listening, many of you listening can relate. So we'll get to that a little bit more later on. But now it is time for another update on at traffic and weather, and of course Scott Fitzschure with another sports update right here on news Radio eight forty whas