Speaker 1: This is w b Z, Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Still hanging on at forty nine degrees in cloudy skies in Boston. It's eleven o'clock on this Wednesday. Hello, and thanks for being with us. I'm Sherry Small. Here's what's happening. At Norfolk Superior Court in Dedham, testimony resumes in the Karen Reid case after a slight delay this morning. The judge met with each juror individually because of an unknown issue. But our WBC's Emma Friedman will have more details that's coming up at eleven fifteen. In other news, another attack on Harvard. This time Republicans in Congress are turning up the heat, accusing Harvard of working with the Chinese Communist Party the Harvard Crimson Reporting. In a letter to Harvard President Alan Garber, a House Select committee accuses Harvard of hosting and training members of a CCP parliamentary organization and using Department of Defense funding to partner with a China base scholars, with China based scholars, that is, with ties to the People's Liberation Army. The Republicans threatened to pull Harvard's tax exempt status if it worked with a Chinese based entity without proper disclosure. It's the same threat that President Trump levied against Harvard last month over allegations of campus anti Semitism. Harvard says it can confirm that it got the letter and it plans on responding now to Washington, Divided House Republicans are trying to move President Trump's massive spending bill your CBS's Jared Hill.
Speaker 3: Just after one am in Washington, the House Rules Committee gabled in to consider the Republican's massive budget package, clearing the committee the final hurdle before heading to the full House for vote.
Speaker 1: We're here to finish the job. Why are you trying to ram it through in the dead.
Speaker 3: To night The late night session hours after President Donald Trump rallied Republican support for what he calls his big, beautiful bill on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 4: I think we're going to get everything we want, and I think we're gonna have a great figgate.
Speaker 3: But party divisions have dogged the measure.
Speaker 2: Some conservatives are calling for quicker, steeper cuts to medicate as well as a bigger state and local tax deduction. The US Senate unanimously passes a no tax on tips bill. The bill still needs House approval. Wbz's Jim McKay has local reaction to the policy.
Speaker 5: I don't think there should be a tax on tips.
Speaker 4: Ted lives in Quincy and has family members who are restaurant workers. He thinks this will be a huge boost.
Speaker 3: I mean, they work hard for their money.
Speaker 4: The No Tax on Tips Bill would allow up to twenty five thousand dollars in deductions on taxes for tipped workers making up to one hundred and sixty thousand dollars a year, and there are some exceptions. That's where it could get complicated.
Speaker 1: What I'm afraid of is they might redefine what is a tip.
Speaker 4: There has been some pushback, but in general, this has the acting of President Trump and most in the House, a rare bipartisan moment. Jason's girlfriend as a bartender. He knows this will have an immediate impact.
Speaker 1: Being able to see more of that hit your bank account will definitely.
Speaker 2: Help in Quincy.
Speaker 4: Jim ackawb Z Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: The ACU weather forecast, It's going to be another chilly day today. We're gonna see clouds, a breeze, a sprinkle or two. High of fifty two, breezy, Tonight, occasional rain and drizzle, especially late, will drop down to an overnight low of forty seven. Tomorrow, again some rain, but Tomorrow's some of it will be heavy, especially in the afternoon or evening, so watch out for flooding in some of those poor drainage areas. We could also see some coastal flooding near times of high tide. Tomorrow's high near fifty. Then Friday is going to start to sound like a broken record. Cloudy, breezy, a couple of showers, highs fifty five to fifty nine. Again Saturday, mostly cloudy, breezy, a shower too, highs near sixty on Sunday. We'll see mostly cloudy skis on Sunday with highs in the low to mid fifties. And here's a bright spot a bit warmer on Memorial Day on Monday is forty nine and cloudy in Boston at eleven oh five. Tennis is French Open begins on Sunday and one top player learns a life lesson. Here's WBZ strewmaholland with that story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tommy Paul is ranked number twelve in the world and he's away from his Florida home right now while this Clay Court season carries on. But you are not gonna believe this. Take a listen.
Speaker 3: I'll check in my camera to see if there were packages at my house and my truck got repolled.
Speaker 2: I didn't make my payments.
Speaker 4: I'm watching a tow drug. I didn't know that they just come and take your car. But you gotta make it payments.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, they really will just come in take your car. Yeah, Tommy Paul with the Tennis Channel there, the twenty eight year old American has made thirteen million dollars in career earnings. Pay the car bills to problems like the rest of us. I guess Jumahull and WBZ Bosson's news radio.
Speaker 2: A Midwestern suburb pass plans for the Pope's childhood home.
Speaker 1: The Chicago suburb of Dalton, Illinois says it might use eminent domain to purchase the childhood home of Pope Leo. The one story brick house was pulled off the market when the new Pope was announced and is being renovated and is due to be auctioned next month. Village mayor Jason House says the idea is to make it a historical site. Well, many look at it as the financial opportunity.
Speaker 6: It's an obligation for us, and if we honor it properly, everybody will get the chance to unite and rejoice in the moment.
Speaker 1: The village has sent a formal letter to the realty company that owns the house, mentioning eminent domain as a possibility. Steve Kaithan, CBS News.
Speaker 2: Sales are down at Target. CBS is Michael Wallace with the tails.
Speaker 4: I'm the store for two your door. Target run, and.
Speaker 6: The retailer says it sales fell two point eight percent during the first quarter and warns its sales for the year will also fall below expectations. Target blames tariff uncertainty and backlash to its rollback of DEI programs, which prompted some black pastors to call for a boycott of Target. Walmart announced strong quarterly sales last week, but groceries account for sixty percent of its business. Target is more reliant on discretionary items like clothing and accessories.
Speaker 1: Michael Wallace, CBS News.
Speaker 2: You are now in bloop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeart Radio app. I'm Sherry Small WBZ, Boston's news radio