Speaker 1: Rain and storms sometimes heavy or strong. That'll be the rest of through Saturday, every day and night. When I have sixty nine today, fifty three, overnight sixty three will be our high. Tomorrow overnight low just sixty and sixty seven will be all high on Saturday. Right now at sixty five degrees, and it is time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UC Health Traffic Center. Don't let injuries slow you down. The u SEE Health Orthopedics and sports medicine experience can help keep you moving. Schedule the same day appointment at ucehealth dot com. It's a nanksient in at northbound on the DOUAA Highway at two seventy five and Wilder. That's slowing the traffic I've seen which is now backing up past Licking Pike northbound seventy five.
Speaker 1: That's now clear through the cut.
Speaker 2: Southbound seventy five continues heavy through Blockman Chuck Ingram on fifty five krz DE Talk Station.
Speaker 1: AY thirty if about here CD Talks Station, A very happy Thursday to you. Friday Eve always been an extra special this time because you hear from and talk to iHeartMedia aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. And let's start off on the most important element of this conversation. Happy birthday to Sherry, your beautiful wife.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is indeed her birthday, and yeah, we're celebrating as much as we can. And she puts up with a lot, brother, So you know, anytime I can can thank her for anything, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 1: So yes, I know you do. And you know that always puts a smile on my face because you regularly acknowledge her on your social media account, and I know you are. You outkicked your coverage, as did I, and both of us are very thankful for that. You know, real quick here at your ice stock trader daytrafun dot com if you want to find out what Jay does in his free time. My mom told me yesterday and I felt so badly for she wanted to get Newsmax went on sale yesterday on the open on the market. Ten dollars a share was the open, and she said, I was going to call my broker and have them, you know, buy me X number of shares, and she goes, I forgot to make the call. It went up to two hundred and thirty three bucks before settling at fifty four, which still had been a nice return on an investment on a ten dollars stock.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was the thing that of course, it was in the news as well. It was dipping and doing some different things yesterday. In fact, I think we used it once or twice yesterday, so which was nice. But there was a lot of stocks that were moving yesterday. And of course, with you know the pre markets down two point seven almost three percent, a lot of people are getting a little bit anxious. But you know, the long term folkus, this is not today to look at your portfolio.
Speaker 4: Just go to work and go bout your business.
Speaker 1: A man to that. Well, in the way you trade, it doesn't really matter because you're not you don't hold on to anything for a substantial period of time, no, Brian.
Speaker 3: In fact, to some of my students right before we went on the air at eight thirty, we were tracking a stock near a dollar a share and they grabbed.
Speaker 4: It and it went up to two dollars a share.
Speaker 3: So yeah, my students made quite a bit of money here just in the last couple of minutes while we were on the phone.
Speaker 1: That's great. You know, spend half hour in the morning and you're done for the day.
Speaker 3: So well, that's the right thing, because you know, the stock market the next twenty years is not going to be like it was the last twenty We've got a lot more of the financial challenges that are before us. And you know a lot of times when you look at a prospectus, well every time on any stock it says, you know, past performance is no guarantee of future future performance.
Speaker 4: Of this stock. We all understand that.
Speaker 3: But and yet I'm told the stock market the next twenty years should be like it was the last twenty years. Well, no, that's not the case, because we've got a lot more challenges out of us and we had behind us, and it's going to be very interesting as we move forward. And that's why less time in the market for me and my students is always best, because you just don't know what's going to be taking place.
Speaker 1: Now and what is your reaction to. I know there's artificial intelligence. I've heard ads for them it AI trading and that let you let AI do it for you. I mean, is that is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a thing. I think it's a dumb thing, but it's a thing. Yeah, it's the same thing. When high frequency trading came out of a bunch of years ago where people said I just want something I can plug in the formula, walk away and make a bazillion dollars, And you know that's just not the way it works. It's the stock market is something that you know if there are certain patterns to a lot of different stocks, and if you spot those patterns and plot your orders accordingly, you can go from there. The idea of trying to have some artificial intelligence do it, it's like people that contact me and say, Jay, you teach people how trade stocks. Does that means you're gonna tell me which stocks to go after.
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. I'm going to teach you to go after them.
Speaker 3: So you don't sit around on your butt waiting for me to tell you what to do, because that's what you want to learn how to do it on your own, not to have somebody tell you. Plus, when you wait on somebody else, you tend to be playing follow the leader, which means, you know, yeah, to be buying it at a much higher price.
Speaker 1: Everybody's going to bail, and there your whole lost opportunity. Hey, real quick, here, we'll get one aviation story in that I picked, and before we get to your list, I saw this. It sounds insane, and I know you'll explain it away, but American Airlines flight flying from New York City to Tokyo, when all the way across the United States was over the Pacific Ocean, then, because they said it was experiencing a maintenance issue their words, not mine, they turned around and flew back to Dallas Fort Worth. I mean, I guess my biggest question is, Okay, I understand I have to do that, but isn't there an airfield somewhere like California they could have landed this thing.
Speaker 3: Well, well, they want to go to their their maintenance base, and it's always going to depend on the type.
Speaker 4: Of the mechanical situation.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could be a light bulb in the cockpit, it could be some minor issue, but it's mechanical, and if it's a no go item, they have to divert to the nearest maintenance base. And for American Airlines, their largest and most further west hub is going to be Dallas, so that's where a lot of times they would bring that fly back to. But it does seem kind of crazy. Now they could have you know, parked it in let's say La and then had contract maintenance where they hire somebody else to try to do the job if they had the specific part they rafter.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: But that's where it becomes a problem.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, if we go somewhere else, we pay somebody else to do it and it takes them nine hours to do it. We can bring our aircraft back to our maintenance base here in Dallas. We can fix it much much faster and then get these people on their way more quickly. It's an inconvenience, yes, but you know a lot of times when you say maintenance issue, people think the wings are about.
Speaker 4: To fall off. Oh my gosh, I'm going to die. But it's many times.
Speaker 3: It's most of the time it's a minor thing that has to be addressed and looked at. Because again, on aircraft, we've got redundant systems for pretty much everything, and those backups take care of us. And had that been a real emergency, that bad boy would have been on the ground much much faster than it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully landed on the ground, not in the water, if you know what I mean. It was it was a boeing, by the way. Anyone, Let's bring Jay Ratliffe back to talk about the issues he's outlined, including maybe the airline industry is going to be impacted by the latest round of tariffs. That among other stories with Jay Ratliffe, will be right back fifty five KRC Hey, Gary Salvat, Yeah, I love that. Brian Thomas here with Ahart Mediadas Nextbert Jay Rattliffe. I know we touched a little bit on stocks generally speaking in the last segment there, Jay, but what about the airline industry specifically, Are they going to be impacted at all by these latest rounds of tariffs.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, Brian, and the answers yes, because what we're looking at is we've talked about you and I about the demand for summer travel has dropped, and the fear is if prices start to go up on some of these everyday items because of the tariff, going to be less cash left over for for summer travel, and that's the air The time airlines make their most profit, June, July and August is like Christmas time, Black Friday for them.
Speaker 4: They absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: But when you look at the stocks for Delta, United and American, their prices stock prices have dropped. Third twenty percent in just the last month, and that's because they're already seeing this softness at a time when they're supposed to be making quite a bit of money. In fact, the only airline who seems to be bucking that trend to Southwest. Their price has increased about fifteen percent over the last month because in part that decision they made to start charging for check luggage was viewed as a very good thing and something that's going to increase their revenue flows kind of offset some of the hit there. But yeah, the demand for travel right now is something that is a concern at least domestically, and airlines are really hoping that this drop off in the demand for travel doesn't start to extend to international travel because they make more profit or yield for passenger on international flights as we do on domestic and the last thing you want to do is start to see that the international side starts us often as well, because airlines are used to making quite a bit of money, and you know, anytime that you see this kind of a serious pullback, yeah, there's a lot of concerns, and rightfully so.
Speaker 1: Well, and you also wonder about I know, there was that sort of the quick impact of the vast reduction in travel from Canada into the United States because of the tariff discussion and the fifty first state nonsense. You wonder if you know the rest of the world, European Union and others who we probably get a lot of back and forth traffic from, if they too will choose to stay out of our playground.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it will be.
Speaker 3: But the other thing they recognize as tourism is a huge part of the economic engine for a lot of those European destinations. And it's one thing to say that you want to do it, but then it's another thing to say, are we willing to turn down this much revenue coming in from a tourism basis from places around the world, including the United States, and for a lot of individuals and a lot of countries. They may talk a good game, but the last thing they want to do is to see a reduction in any sort of that inflow of the tourism dollars. So I suspect that that would be resisted, but you never know. I mean, sometimes decisions are made that are absolutely asinine, and sometimes it's just to make a point, regardless the fact that it's going to really hit you long term on some things. So it's gonna be interesting to see. But look, a lot of people that are very savvy travelers have booked their cruises through the Mediterranean and their European vacation's last fall for this upcoming summer, so they're already planning on going. Their reservations have been made, their bags will soon be packed and away they go. So I mean, there's you hope there's not gonna be too much of a change in what's going to be taking place as far as the reduction in available seats because that's going to impact individuals who already have their reservations.
Speaker 1: Damn in that. All Right, another out on the wing emergency evacuation. Didn't this just happen?
Speaker 4: Jay?
Speaker 3: It did, but this one was a little bit more common. Control of it was American Eagle flight flying from Charlotte to Augusta, Georgia. Thirty five minute flight or something pretty short. But in the process of landing, smoke started to fill the cabin and once it was on the ground, captain ordered everybody out emergency evacuations.
Speaker 4: Passengers exited out over.
Speaker 3: The wings and then they jumped off the wing down to the ground. Now Fortunately it was a Bombardier nine hundred, so the distance from the ground to the wing was minimal. But here we got lots of videos of people that were walking around, and I'm pleased to say that all carry on bags appear to be safe by all the ones that we've seen people take off the airplane they're supposed to be leaving behind. But my biggest takeaway on that was nobody was really helping anybody down off the aircraft, get on the plane, pull out your phone. And I think the last guy off was a poor guy that was traveling with his dog, and out he comes out of the emergency evacuation area there as far as the window, and I'm thinking I thought it would have been children, women and pets first before the men, but apparently.
Speaker 1: Not well, And isn't the wing. Isn't that where the fuel is stored? J It is okay.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, if there is fire, then post haste, get.
Speaker 4: Your butt out of it.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I was forgetting about.
Speaker 3: Pulling your phone out. But you know, there was any apparent fire. And when you got outside the airplane, I mean the captain was standing on the top of the steps and it looked like a pretty controlled type of thing. They're waiting for the emergency vehicles to arrive a to make sure that if a fire does break out, that can take care of it and be the transports and passengers back over to the terminal. So they were airing on the side of caution, which is what we do in aviation, and got everybody out. It's you know, the NTSB is going to look at this and say, was all the proper procedures followed as far as the Federal Aviation Administration as well, to make sure that we can learn if the next time this happens, if we can do anything any better. And yeah, that's one of the great things about the National Transportation Safety Board.
Speaker 4: I talk about it all the time. They're an all star team and.
Speaker 3: Anytime there's an accident or near accident, they're called in to investigate. They look at everything saying can we do this better next time so that we can save lives as a result.
Speaker 1: Well, we got an NTSB report to talk about. Plus are I always close on with hub delays? We'll plus from bring Jay back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I don't want to take this one long, because I know you need to give a little more information on that, which we'll do. It's a forty five right now, Stick around fifty five KRC.
Speaker 4: Nine.
Speaker 1: First weather forecast. Yeah, rain, rain, rain, rain, shower, shower, shower, storm, storm, storm storms all the way through Saturday. Every day. Overnight Today's high sixty nine with an overnight little fifty three, tomorrows high sixty three with an overnight little sixty and Saturday sixty seven For the high that floodwatch expires on Sunday morning, it's sixty six right now. Time for final traffic.
Speaker 2: From the uc helth Tramsic Center. Don't let injuries slow you down. The UC Health Orthopedic San supports medicine experts can help keep you moving. Schedule a same day appointment at u sehealth dot com. Couple of accidents causing sizable backups westbound thirty two. There's an accident at Old seventy four, backing traffic through Batavia to Bower Road. It's even slowing traffic a bit eastbound. There's a wrecked northbound on the just before to seventy five. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: On a Friday e chech Friday with Dave hat or tomorrow every Friday at six point thirty. Meanwhile, one more session here and I appreciate him holding over here, Jay Rattle. If I hear at media aviation expert kind of an NTSB report which doesn't give me any comfort, and you.
Speaker 4: Don't know all the specifics. Uh no, buckle up for this one.
Speaker 3: But this was a Delta Airlines flight that was taking off from Washington's Reagan Airport and as they did, an Air Force T thirty eight was taking off and flew underneath them and we it was what we call a close proximity event. And Brian the NTSB was called in to investigate this as far as taking place. A Delta crew is not happy radio going back to air Traffic Control, Hey, we had an aircraft that was about five hundred feet below us as we taking off and the towers set affirmative.
Speaker 4: We've got that as well.
Speaker 3: But the NTSB filed their report and they're looking at the occurrences that have taken place at the DC airport as far as the close proximity report and they said, in the last three years, we've had fifteen thousand instances at that airport where we've had a close proximity event.
Speaker 4: WHOA, yeah, I told you you would not not like it.
Speaker 3: So I was going to ask you to give me the number that you thought we would have had as far as at that single airport, how many close proximity events we've had in three years? And I mean, you know if fifty would have.
Speaker 1: Been too many, well that's exactly the number that was thinking of. Fifty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: So what happened here is the NTSB issues this report, and what it shows is that the Federal Aviation Administration, who wasn't oblivious to this, knew that we were having issues at a major airport in the Northeast, and for some strange, inexplicable reason, nothing substance, it was being done.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It took the craft before we finally said, okay, no more helicopters flying across to mcriver. We're going to get rid of that so that we don't have that intersect between that river traffic and aircraft that are taking off and landing on runway three to three. But the issue is, at what point in time do you stop and say we're just tempting fate here. It's not a matter of if we're going to have an accident, it's a matter of when is something going to happen because we have fifteen thousand situations.
Speaker 4: I mean break that down.
Speaker 3: You're talking about five thousand a year, and that type of frequency says, it screams to me, something has to be done. And that's my frustration so many times with the industry, and it has been that way for the last forty years, is that it takes an accident and almost a loss of life before we make the changes that need.
Speaker 4: To be made.
Speaker 3: And Bran, I'm not saying close the airport, but I'm certainly saying that you have a known issue there. You have some very very smart people that work for the Federal Aviation Administration, and of course you've got that all star team of the NTSB there as well. Figure out a way that you can keep these airplanes, both military and commercial flights safer. And the fact that we didn't is just inexcusable.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll grant you that, who could now who could argue with that? But you know, you say close close proximity and when you say five hundred feet, I say that's pretty damn close when it comes to some airplanes. Is what is the farthest thing away with two aircraft, the farthest distance away, that would still be the outer let's say, the outer limit of what would constitute a quote unquote close proximity event.
Speaker 3: We like one thousand feet in more separation, So anything less than that is certainly going to be considered what a close proximity. But this one was so close that the Delta crew, through their traffic collision avoiding system, was ordered to for evasive action just to get out of the airspace where that situation.
Speaker 4: Was taking place.
Speaker 3: And when that takes place, you know, okay, it's a situationation that's serious, and you know that's why to me, when you look at this, it's got to be a priority. And the fact that it wasn't a priority makes me worry a about that airport. But then I worry about other airports. You know, where else are we having a lot of these close proximity events that's not really being readily apported reported, and that could be the next concern as far as an accident or near accident. And yes, we can hire additional air traffic controllers. That's going to be needed, and I'm glad to see that the goal is to hire two thousand this year versus the fifteen excuse the fifteen hundred we had last year. But that only takes us so far. If you've got a system in place that, regardless of how many air traffic controllers you have, allow this type of traffic intersect to take place at such a regular rate, and when you have a failure rate of fifteen thousand occurrences over a three year period of time, that by any measurement is unacceptable and it really just calls into question why in the world was nothing done before?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Well it does. That's just Any'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I wanted to end on a real good story there, but yeah, you know, in the good story is we're going to honor the lives of those that were lost on that aircraft by trying to make things safer. But on the other hand, why did it take an accent to make it the first off, the first officer on that particular American Airlines flight. We live in Richmond Hill, That's where other home is at, just south of Savannah.
Speaker 4: That's where he was from, and he was scheduled to be married in May.
Speaker 3: And you know all the stories that come out about you know, what a great kid he was and in the future that he had hoped to have. You think about his story Time sixty seven and you're just thinking, you know, did we really have to have a loss of life before we change things when this clear amount of evidence suggests that you know, those airplanes were in danger and.
Speaker 1: It really is all right as we always send up hub delay, I guess with all the foul weather going around, there's got to be something going on out there, Jay, and.
Speaker 3: It's going to be issues where we're going to have Dallas most of the day in morning as well as Boston. But then about noon on that's when Philadelphia and New York and DC are going to get in on the act. So if you're flying this morning, especially heading towards the northeast, you're going to be encountering some delays, and I promise you some turbulence, So keep your seat belts fastened about you. The turbulence isn't dangerous, just a little bit uncomfortable, but you're certainly going to be looking at some delays if you're going to be flying to or through any of those airports.
Speaker 1: Three, your better half really well today, A happy birthday again to Sherry. iHeart Media Aviation. Next for Jay Rattle. If always a distinct pleasure to have you on the program. I'll look forward to another discussion next Thursday. Have a wonderful week you two, my friend, Thank you. Thanks eight fifty six fifty five KERR City Talk Station, excellent show. Thanks you, Joe Strecker lining up all these guys. We heard a special edition of the Big Picture with Jack Adam and we talked about tariffs, Ken Blackwell, also on tariffs in the War, on Elon Musk and Tesla Senator Ran Paul. We talked dogs, we talked to Elon Musk, we talked Department of Education, We talked tariffs as well. All those podcasts fifty five KRS dot com. You can also get a copy of Julia Vincent Gambuto's comedic book Yet with great advice, please unsubscribe. Thanks. How to take back our time, attention and purpose in a world designed to bury us in BS. He didn't say bs though in the title. Plus Jay Rattle, If It's all there, fifty five KRC dot com. Tune and tomorrow with Tech Friday with Dave Hatter. Have a wonderful day, Thanks again, Joe, don't go away, Going Back's next news happens fast, Stay up to date.
Speaker 2: At the top of the hour, we're moving very quickly at fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: The talk station