Speaker 1: Oh, Glory Day. I am one of the few who was.
Speaker 2: Able to go to the Marines.
Speaker 1: The AMC theater on Wednesday, August twenty eighth and get myself a Batman bat signal popcorn bucket.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if I've ever seen you as motivated as you've been this week, both with your activity, your day with Raffie, and then also you know, trying to coordinate getting that Batman popcorn bucket.
Speaker 1: Yes, the showtime for the movie that I was taking my son to on that Wednesday was twelve thirty. I knew that the movie theater opened at noon. I was there at eleven fifty nine, ready to go. I got my bucket. They said, oh, we also have these cups, a commemorative Batman cup by the way, they're celebrating the eighty fifth anniversary of The Dark Night. It's a pretty sweet cup. I'm going to show these both off when I'm at home, and I can do that. But it's the popcorn bucket. It's a bats said. No, you can open it up, you can put popcorn in there, you can flash it with a light on. It's quite stunning if you ask me. And then the cup if you turn it ever, so it shows you the bat signal and then it shows you the batmobile that goes with said signal.
Speaker 2: It's a nice little old day you had there really really rounded you out, and now finally your your home collection is complete.
Speaker 1: Having said that, as I was walking to the theater with my son to see Inside Out Too, It's a cute little movie, I noticed that a worker was taking apart the Deadpool and Wolverine cardboard cutout thing that you can take a fuck yeah, the stand up, and I said, hey, what do you plan on doing with those? And they said I'm gonna throw these away? So I said can I have them? And they said, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Now explain to me how you what happened next? Did you have to now go back to your vehicle put me in your car that is going to go back to the theater.
Speaker 1: So I had already gone back and forth to my vehicle once to put my Batman popcorn bucket in my car right right then I came back and I did it again with the six foot five standis of Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds that I now have at my house. And I'm not sure what to do with what.
Speaker 2: Did your uh, your wife think think about those acquisitions.
Speaker 1: She hasn't seen them yet. So Hugh Jackman is in my office at the moment, he's standing the sitting behind my door. Ryan Reynolds Deadpool is in my attic. But I'm thinking that I can probably like use them to scare her at some point, right like she thinks is a big, physically imposing man in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get a home aloner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm an a spooker. I'm gonna spooker. But what a day at the theater? One Goo three, Yeah, job three, King of Queen Marl Street.
Speaker 2: Enterta Goo and I'm Mac.
Speaker 1: And we are the hosts with the most Baby today.
Speaker 2: And anticipation for its sequel next week. We are discussing one of Goo's favorite movies of all time and quite frankly, one of the one of my favorite movies of my childhood. So this is two weeks a row we're doing this. Beetlejuice. That's right, Beetlejuice. This hit theaters on March thirtieth, nineteen eighty eight, and Goo, it made eight million dollars in its opening weekend. It actually made more on its second weekend because it picked up quite a buzz word of mouth, made eight and a half million on its second weekend. It's very rare for movie then, now or ever to make more in its second weekend, So that's quite the accomplishment.
Speaker 1: That is a podcast topic that I would like to do if we can figure it.
Speaker 2: Out, put it pin in that. Yes, it ended up making seventy three point seven million worldwide upon worldwide upon its initial release, Uh, it only made two thousand, nine hundred or two thousand and ninety nine dollars internationally.
Speaker 1: What was caught on your throat right then?
Speaker 2: I don't know who knows?
Speaker 1: I was like, I hope he figures this out.
Speaker 2: It made two thousand ninety nine dollars internationally, which what did it? One international theater have beatled juice?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it can be shown in China because of the ghosts.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's like one hundred and ninety five other countries though.
Speaker 1: But which ones matter?
Speaker 2: It ended up being the tenth highest grossing film of nineteen eighty eight, and all that money was made gou off a budget of fifteen million dollars, So it like what, it's a tuppled. It's its budget there's ma Set or Quinn whatever that is. It made. It made a pretty penny for the box office. It's been re released a couple times since in celebration. I believe it got released in uh twenty eighteen for the thirty year anniversary. So there's that. Goo Beetlejuice is a PG rated comedy and fantasy, but a I ooh ugh. Is it a dark comedy, a dark fantasy, a quirky comedy, a supernatural fantasy. All of those things are listed. Not quite as fun as a c adventure, but some of those are deep. I like supernatural fantasy.
Speaker 1: Because I think that most of the comedy in this movie is pretty morbid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's more of a it's it's a pretty split, pretty split actually between like dark comedy and dark fantasy. It does a good job of that, So I won't I won't lean one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Like I enjoy it, but I could see how someone's like I don't really care for how they depict the dead or like, you know, sure, but that also leads me to questions. And this is a spoiler filled podcast, right, yeah, okay, you have seen many of dead bodies, right.
Speaker 2: I would say many but I've I've been around a dead body or two.
Speaker 1: Now, you would think that Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis, their characters should have looked a little more ghoulish after drowning. Right, Well, no, because.
Speaker 2: It's it's a spiritual representation of them.
Speaker 1: It's not their act now, because when you go to the afterlife, people have slits in their throat, they're being hung, they're flattened, they're in bus accidents.
Speaker 2: If they just drowned, then it's really not that bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, That's why I asked you. That's why you're the expert. I have no issue with that. I'm just trying to I'm asking.
Speaker 2: Sus sure, du this movie is a run time of ninety two minutes, ninety two Chris minutes, and honestly, it might have been able to be might have been able to even be like ten minutes shorter. There's there's some a couple of things you can get out of here, but in general, a really brisk watch.
Speaker 1: It is a get in, get out movie. And I would even say that I'm not even sure if it reaches the ninety minutes, if you're gonna take opening an end credits out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually before the end credits hit, I believe it's eighty nine minutes. So there's three minutes of credits at the end and a couple of minutes too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you point out that Michael Keaton is in less than eighteen minutes of this movie, look at percentage wise, he's in like most of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still twenty percent of the movie.
Speaker 1: The movie is twenty five minutes long.
Speaker 2: Goo on Roddy T's This is a very visually pleasing double eighty two percent from the critics and the audience. So eighty two eighty two, which I think is fair. That speaks to a little bit of what you're talking about about the morbidness and some of that. There's just a certain amount of a certain percentage of people that just aren't going to buy into what this movie is trying to do. And I think you could just say that about Tim Burton movies in general.
Speaker 1: But this is also before Tim Burton was known as being this Tim Burton. This was really the first one because Pee Wee's Big Adventure wasn't like this. This kind of set into motion. Edward Scissorhands.
Speaker 2: I think this Scissor Hands really sets the mood for what a Tim Burton movie or what you would expect from the Tim Burton movie seventy one on Metacritic as well, so again pretty well reviewed good. This movie is written by Michael McDowell, Larry Wilson, and Warren Scarin You really wouldn't know McDowell and Wilson. McDowell also wrote The Nightmare Before Christmas. Unfortunately he passed in ninety nine, a very young forty nine. Larry Wilson also wrote The Adams Family, the first one and The Little Vampire the Jonathan Lipnicki vehicle Vampire.
Speaker 1: I will say that the original script for this movie was written by McDowell and then Lawrence Senelik Sinelk. That's what I have here. I'm not sure how I spelt it. I'm apologizing here, But originally the character of Beetlejuice was supposed to be a murderous, winged demon who eventually kills Lydia to bring her to the afterlife. And it was supposed to have no comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was also supposed to take a human form of a small Middle Eastern man. Yes, I saw that as a bit weird tidbit In the original.
Speaker 1: Tim Burton saw that and said, let's make this a dark comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the third writer here Warren Scarin, you would know from Beverly Hills Coop two and also the writer on nineteen eighty nine's Batman, And unfortunately he passed just a year later in ninety at the age of forty four. So a couple rough ones there go. Obviously, this movie is directed by Tim Burton. You spoke about this a minute ago. Right before this movie, he makes Peewee's Big Adventure, and that's the movie that really puts him on the map and starts getting him opportunities like this one.
Speaker 1: Through my research, that is internet web videos, so on and so forth, I did see that Wes Craven was approached to direct this movie when it was more of a straight horror movie.
Speaker 2: Ah. Interesting, I suppose that that would be one of two people you would go to, Wes Craven or John Carpenter.
Speaker 1: They were the only horror directors at the time.
Speaker 2: Right after this, of course, he makes nineteen eighty nine's Batman. More recently, gou we saw Dumbo a few years ago and that movie straight up stunk. He has not made a movie since, and I don't know what's on the horizon for him, because there's nothing on his IMDb page as well. However, he has been involved in the Wednesday Show on Netflix starring Gena Ortega. I don't know. He's not the creator of the show, but he's directed some. I think he produces some, and he's still doing that going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw that he was debating retirement after Dumbo. He didn't care for the results the work process of it, but Beatlejuice. Beatle Juice has reinvigorated him.
Speaker 2: Goose synopsis. The spirits of a deceased couple are harassed by an unbearable family that has moved into their home and hire a malicious spirit to drive them out. This movie stars Alec Baldwin as Adam Maitland. Geena Davis is Barbara Maitland. That was originally supposed to be Angelica Houston. Actually she dropped out due to an illness. Incomes Gena Davis, Catherine O'Hara as Diliadets Between this in a home alone. I've spent an awful lot of time with Catherine O'Hara during much.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I think. During the rewatch that was the character that really popped out to me is like, I really enjoy her. I've overlooked her in the past.
Speaker 2: I almost think they had too many She wasn't unhinged enough, you know. I wish there was a little bit more of her.
Speaker 1: Well, she couldn't be so unhinged with Otho there sure.
Speaker 2: Playing her husband is Jeffrey Jones as Charles Deets.
Speaker 1: I think that is my biggest issue watching this movie now, is they need to find a way to take him out of the movie and cgi in someone else.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't I don't mind him at all.
Speaker 1: Well, the issue is what he did off off the camera is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not aware of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Give it a google, all right. It kind of affects the viewing.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, I was, I was not aware of the the mishap there, Yes, why not? As lydear?
Speaker 1: As lydear.
Speaker 2: This was her first big break goose. She was in a couple of things prior to this, but no one's ever seen those. Yeah, no one's ever heard of those. And also Heathers comes out almost exactly a year after this, so a good back to back. And then she's in Scissor Hands in the next year. She was sixteen during filming in this, and that's pretty impressive to think back on because like, yes, she's playing a team, but she feels like an adult in this role, and it's very impressive. Goo. Some of the other young eighties stars that were in consideration for this Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooks Shields, Lori Laughlin, Diane Lane, Justine Bateman, Molly Ringwall, Juliette Lewis, and Jennifer Conley. But the person that came in second they run her up for Lydia Deets was Alyssa Milano of course, was starring. And who's the boss at the time. Andy McEnroe is Jane Butterfield. She's the realtor.
Speaker 1: Ah, she sucks. Oh my god. That first scene. That was one that popped out to me too, of like, look, oh, you guys can't have a family. You shouldn't own this big house. Oh lady. They clearly just tried to have one, and I don't know what's happened recently with them because they talk about trying again, but like, that's what you're gonna bring up to them, is that, oh, you aren't able to have children, you should sell your house.
Speaker 2: Real low hanging fruit there. That's that's a tough one. She does play the role well, noh, you mentioned Othough played by Glenn Shattocks. He's great. He's like the interior designer you know, also does the seance thing.
Speaker 1: I would also like to point this out is that the interior design of the house after the deets is move in three months in. I think it looks quite snazzy.
Speaker 2: What's it like art decos?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the look of it. And I also I love the look of the porch that they construct with like the siding of the.
Speaker 2: House, the wall but no roof.
Speaker 1: I think that looks dynamite.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you totally in on Otho's design. Yeah, Sylvia Sidney plays Juno, who's there after life.
Speaker 1: She's also fantastic.
Speaker 2: She's very good, very good. And then other than that, Gou, I guess all you would need to know is Michael Keaton as Beetlegeis. That's right, beatle Geis.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you how do you say and spell the name?
Speaker 2: I so I like the way that Baldwin pronounces it when he first is reading the ad there beetle geis goo interesting. The thing to think about here, especially since he dies a couple of years after this. Burton originally wanted Sammy Davis Junior for this role, and that would have been really interesting if it was Sammy Davis Junior.
Speaker 1: So there was that the studio said no, and then the studio pushed Dudley Moore and Sam Kennison. Now I could see Kennison doing something similar. But the whole thing with Beatle Jews and Michael Keaton is that Keaton worked on this character and really shaped it into what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think once he was attached and once everyone saw what he was doing, they certainly gave him more freedom. And also because the idea of the character was ever changing anyways when they first developed it, I think they were happy to see him take it in that direction.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he was recommend David Geffen and then Keaton took inspiration for the Beatle Juice character from chop Top from Texas Chainsaw Massacre two.
Speaker 2: Goo. Here's a little background on the name Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice is a red super giant star in the constellation of Orion. It is usually the tenth brightest star in the night sky and after Rigel, the second brightest in its own constellation. It is a it is distinctly reddish, semi regular variable star who's apparent magnitude varying between zero and plus one point six, has the widest range displayed by any first magnitude star. Beetlejuice is the brightest star in the night sky at near infrared wavelengths.
Speaker 1: So how about that, good job, well done.
Speaker 2: The name Beetlejuice was derived from the Arabic job all right, all right, come on the hand of Orion.
Speaker 1: We don't need this podcast to be longer than the movie.
Speaker 2: Also, Aboriginal groups South Australia have shared oral tales of the variable brightness of Beetlejuice for over one thousand years.
Speaker 1: All right, So, because Keaton was only in about seventeen and a half minutes under eighteen minutes of this movie, he actually shot all of his scenes in two weeks. Oh not bad, Yeah, not bad, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The second idonic iconic factor here other than Keaton is the music in score, composed by Daniel Yes and in It's such a big part, especially considering the titular characters barely on screen. The score in the in the music competition becomes such a you need that and in its own right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need that swelling And I was like, while watching it, like that, really that is what pops out to you. I think this is his best work on a score. I'm not saying soundtrack because Nightmare Before Christmas is more of a soundtrack. But I think this might be because you look at Peewee's Big Adventure, Batman, Goodwill, Hunting Flubber.
Speaker 2: Edward Scissorhans is pretty great too.
Speaker 1: It is big fish natchal libre. But I think this is this is where it's at.
Speaker 2: Man. He's also like, he did Silver Linings, Playbook agea Veltron, he did the Joss Whedon Justice League. He's been everywhere and done everything. He's obviously been been around.
Speaker 1: For Simpson's theme song.
Speaker 2: Fucking what a career. But to your point, just with the opening credits, that score over the opening credits is awesome. It sets the mood.
Speaker 1: It really does, because like it brings you into this small town, this everybody knows your name town, and you could also feel like if the music was a little less like bouncy, that could be the start of a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, it does bring in the fun factor to it. The comedic factor played into the built in to the composition Goose speaking of that town, the fictional town is Winter River, Connecticut, and I will say anyone from the New England region would not believe it as Connecticut. It feels like Vermont. It feels like New Hampshire. And in fact, they shot this in a small town, the exterior shots anyways, in the small town of Corinth, Vermont, the population of fourteen hundred, so it was.
Speaker 1: A fourteen the population of fourteen fourteen.
Speaker 2: Hundred in a total area of forty eight square miles, So that's kind of crazy to think about. They also filmed the exterior shots for the upcoming sequel in the same town.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, and you know, we can also bring up Oscar Award winning movie.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right, the Academy Award winner for Best Makeup.
Speaker 1: So there it is deservingly so. I think the makeup and the stomp motion clamation in this is it just it brings you back to that time of movie making too. And Burton, on that shoestring budget wanted it to be a bit of a B movie, but everything still feel I think, maybe just because of like the gross filming of eighties movies. It feels right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really, it's like quintessential eighties the way this movie feels and looks and go. It's it's funny to think about the Beetlejuice makeup and this is incredible, so much so that when I've been seeing trailers for the name, it looks.
Speaker 1: Better back then, right, it looked better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what's going on. I don't know if it's too crisp now, but it looks better in the original.
Speaker 1: I think, And maybe I'm just missing it, but it's the mold around his face and mouth and the eye makeup also looked better back then too, like it blended better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, And maybe it's just a trailer issue. Maybe after what we've seen the movie we won't feel that way, But so far, it looks like the makeup for the original is superior.
Speaker 1: Let's also point out that Suicide Squad in twenty sixteen also won an Academy Award for makeup. And my final big notes before we get to any of the octagon or timelining, is that the movie poster for this flick fucking rules. It is so good.
Speaker 2: My final note before we how about.
Speaker 1: You respond to my final note really quick? Respond to how good? My note is, I want to know who was done by artist Carl Ramsey, who also did the movie poster for Caddy Shack two.
Speaker 2: How about that? How about that? It's a nice fun fact for you're.
Speaker 1: A welcome folks. Mac wanted to jump right past that. He didn't even care.
Speaker 2: My final note is, I am absolutely stunned that you and your wife have not cosplayed as Beetlejuice and Lydia from that wedding scene you know, with him in the in the good one or dark part. But I think it's purple and her in the red dress. I think that'd be a great Halloween costume.
Speaker 1: You know what, I agree? And then I don't know, maybe my son could be the shrunken head guy or something.
Speaker 2: I also love. And I'll get to this in a few But like the aesthetic of the whole afterlife is like great.
Speaker 1: It's so good because like Beatlejuice is not in this movie until halfway through the movie, you go forty seven minutes before he is actually in the movie. Now you get him on the TV screen for a quick commercial. You hear him talking for a second, but you don't have him interacting with other characters until the forty seven minute mark. But it's still fun leading up to that because you're learning about these rules of the afterlife and seeing especially who is the civil servant there, civil servant, the civil servant, the old lady who smokes.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, the caseworker there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Some of the Jake whatever Juno, the scene setting with her and going behind the scenes of like the filing and all that. Like, this movie, in its short amount of runtime, does such a great job storytelling.
Speaker 2: It tells you everything you need to know, and most of the BS, if there ever was BS in the story does. It does a really good job streamlining things, that's for sure, and it's interesting or encouraging, I should say. So this was just over ninety minutes. I believe the sequel is gonna be around one hundred minutes or something like that. I saw along either, so that's very encouraging for that.
Speaker 1: Shall we get to the nonagone.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We should have done six because that's a spooky number. It's a satanic number, or six hundred and sixty six. I want to do six hundred and sixty six. Yeah, yeah, all right, let's do that fun factor. I love the whole look of this, I love the sound of it, I love the clamation of it. And anytime, and I know what we're talking about. When Beetlejuice isn't on the screen, how fun it is when he is on the screen. It's an all time character. And he is such a fun, quick talking voice all over the place. He's just so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't the most fun movie ever, don't get me wrong, no, no, no, but this movie sets out to have fun and it accomplishes exactly that. It's a pretty fun viewing. And I hadn't seen it in a while, and I had fun watching.
Speaker 1: It borometer, and I'm not gonna tell you that it isn't boring at some points, but it's in and out in less than ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually think, you know, there's a little bit of a smidge of bore in the first thirty forty, but once we're finally into the afterlife stuff, it goes and it's a breeze.
Speaker 1: Also, just what a payoff? And I guess, so let's go to satisfactor. What a payoff of the first forty seven minutes. You hear the voice, you see the commercial, You're hearing all of the afterlife people being like, don't summon beetlejuice, and then when they finally do, it was worth the wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is pretty satisfying. But I do think it needs a little bit more after life stuff for the movie to be truly satisfying. And I'm hoping the sequel gives us that. But they really just dabbled. They stuck their toes in the afterlife stuff, and I wanted more. Back then, I wanted more, and now does It is a little bit of blue balls when it comes to that.
Speaker 1: Let me go to Halloween. That's a spooky word. This is a spooky movie. Has it waned over time? I appreciate different things from this movie with every watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hadn't again, I hadn't watched it in a while. I thoroughly enjoyed this viewing. I had a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 1: Aw equator. Is this movie better or worse than Aquaman? It's way better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's much better. And dare I say, are we calling this now the aquatter world the water world?
Speaker 1: You know what, let's fucking do that Awquator is out. It is a what is it now? The equater World, the aquater World, the aquater World. Is this movie better than water Worlds?
Speaker 2: Is it better than water World?
Speaker 1: Or it took us almost five hundred regular episodes, but we've finally done it. We're switching. It's fine, the aquad World. When life gives you plemings, you make plemonade. And you could look at Otho doesn't get as much time, say as the titular character, or Juno doesn't get as much time as the titular character. Those two characters pop. But you have to give it to Keaton.
Speaker 2: This is like the most obvious plemonade case of all time. I know he's the titular character, but he's in like six scenes and every time he's on screen it's one of the better parts of the movie. So this is like so obviously Keaton.
Speaker 1: And when I had Pop Culture Pile Driver Rest in Peace, all right, they're in the afterlife now. When I had them on the show to do top ten Michael Keaton characters, this was number one. And he has a portfolio of some of my favorite characters of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to beat this one. Obviously, he was Bruce Wayne Batman as well. I think the most underrated one is his other guy's character.
Speaker 1: That was great, that made the list.
Speaker 2: It escapes me. That would be on my Rushmore as well. He's just when he's having fun. He's a really fun actor to watch do his thing.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think if that was on my Mount Rushmore. I know that I had Beatlejuice, Bruce Wayne Ray Kroc, and then I can't think of the fourth.
Speaker 2: I honestly think that's why we liked the Flash more than most people is because Keaton's having key and he carries it.
Speaker 1: Because that is one thing that does scare me because it's a spooky movie about Beatlejuice Beetlejuice is that Keaton doesn't seem to have the same energy, because the energy that he gives you in this movie is insane, and the commercials that we've seen, he doesn't seem to have that same quick talking, quick biting type of energy that we had here.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, something has seemed a little off. Hopefully after we have seen the movie, we don't feel that way. But the promotional stuff hasn't been the best.
Speaker 1: Pants ten City Excite bike Mania, what from this movie got you going, and I guess you would say Beetlejuice in action.
Speaker 2: Obviously, one of the most iconic movie scenes of all time is that dinner party scene. It's just it's so great. The song choice is amazing. That's up there, and then again the afterlife stuff. I love playing around that sandbox, even if it was just briefly. I am really really hoping the sequel dives into that more.
Speaker 1: The shrimp in that scene looks disgusting. It's a hand on, it's a it's a fucking glove, but it looks disgusting. But I do think he said, and he said, day, I do think that the final scene when Lydia summons him and it showtime. Yeah, that's boom right there.
Speaker 2: Great, it's a great, all time great meme or jift too, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Max credit Union, who are you giving credit to?
Speaker 2: To me? This is pretty clear in this movie as well. It's whin on a Rider, a sixteen year old why not a rider giving a fantastic performance. Her performance, her character is the lifeline of the movie. It's what makes the movie works. And it's just it's very impressive to see someone that young putting on such a good performance.
Speaker 1: I would say Tim Burton because he shifted it from being a horror movie to what we now have. He changed the Beatlejuice character, letting Keaton work with the character to make it what it was. And then also, this is really where he built his He built his am, he built his god damn it aesthetic. I can't say it in a sentence, but this is where Tim Burton built his esthetic.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you, So if you would look behind the camera, I think that's a fair answer. But I think this movie has a hard time working without a performance to the quality of Wyonos.
Speaker 1: For those of you target to the Mac and Goo party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system, and Mac I will reveal that when we gave Richard Milhouse keef Our top fifty movies of all time, I did have Beetlejuice on my list. Now I will say this after a rewatch, I might not have it top fifty, but I do think it is top one hundred. To me. I love this movie. I love the look of this movie. I love the performances. I think that Keaton's role as Beetlejuice is one of my favorite cat characters. I love just that quick, manic energy that he gives us. This is truly the beginning of when we saw Burton become Burton behind the camera with these characters. For better or for worse. Lydia Diets is an all time character. Catherine O'Hara is also great in this. I'm not because I think we might have had this in our Mount Rushmore of nineteen eighty eight movies. It definitely is.
Speaker 2: It was up for vote, for sure.
Speaker 1: This is a tough one, but I do think that the way they're able to tell this story in under ninety minutes and just be so crisp, get in, get out, something needs to be said for that. The way that they're able to I'm not sure how this was even in nineteen eighty eight rated PG. This is not a PG movie. This is a PG thirteen movie. Even if you take out the cursing, just the dead bodies, it's a bit.
Speaker 2: More, oh just the subject matter. Yeah, sure it should have been PG thirteen.
Speaker 1: But the way they're able to slip this as a PG movie, get this under the censors, that's incredible too. I gotta go. I'm going thirty eight hot Dogs thirty nine. I'm not sure if it's a forty. I think this is an absolute classic. It's kind of genre defining if you're looking at it, like I would say that Ghostbusters, dealing with more of like the horror comedy might do a little bit better. But this is up here of like, if you're looking for a horror adjacent movie, it's in the Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good entry level.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That like, And we were talking about it the other day a little bit like when you would start introducing your son to these sort of themes and movies.
Speaker 1: After watching it, I really I cannot. I cannot show him this yet.
Speaker 2: No, you definitely know.
Speaker 1: I was like, within the first ten minutes, I'm like, I cannot show him this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You you are definitively higher on this movie than I. I watched this movie a ton as a kid. I really enjoy this movie. The pacing is great, the performances are great. Yeah, the score is great. Just really lacks it lacks a big uppercut punch. It's got a couple small jabs in there that I enjoy throughout. You just want more beetlejuice. You just want more afterlife stuff. You're you're happy to be introduced to this world in this story. I just think it's almost too simple at points. I think I have this at like thirty four maybe thirty simple.
Speaker 1: Stupid, Keep it simple, stupid.
Speaker 2: It's a really enjoyable movie, and if people love this movie, I obviously wouldn't be upset, But I have a hard time getting this remotely near the top fifty. To your point, you did give it thirty eight thirty nine. All of my top fifty is forty thirty nine and maybe a couple thirty eight slipped on there. But this isn't This isn't in that same territory for me. But I don't blame someone who has more interesting interests like you for liking this movie more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they could rework the wedding at the end, I think I think it's a little rushed. Well not only that, like just the you know she's only seventeen to like, if they could just re because so I think Beetlejuice at the beginning, like he was supposed to be a way worse character.
Speaker 2: She's sixteen playing like fourteen.
Speaker 1: She's playing seventeen. I looked it up.
Speaker 2: They don't say that at all in movie.
Speaker 1: So she's thirteen in the animated show. I did look that because I was I was like trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: It's more like the age she's trying to convey because she's worried about math test this that she's not driving either, So that screams to me, not sixteen.
Speaker 1: Look, obviously Beatles is a bad guy. Let's toss it out.
Speaker 2: What degree is he?
Speaker 1: That pad slash? He wants to get out of the afterlife. That's his great thing, right, that's the whole thing. All right? Shall we timeline a little bit?
Speaker 2: Sure? All right?
Speaker 1: I already mentioned how much I dislike the realtor. She's got to get out of their face. She's come on, just let them live their lives. But I also do appreciate the fact that within six minutes of this movie starting, our two main characters are dead yep.
Speaker 2: Six minutes, and we get introduced to the handbook for the recently deceased.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think recently diseased is what he says. So I think that is one of two or three of the best non Beetlejuice jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also love that they it's a great way to frame this movie or have a jumping off for this movie is to have that handbook for the recently deceased. Very simple but great idea to make this movie.
Speaker 1: Go Beetlejuice. We hear the voice nine minutes in. We Meet the Deets is twelve minutes in. Catherine O'Hara is just wonderful.
Speaker 2: You're oft by a couple minutes on those both eleven completely right, eleven thirty for the first peak at Beatlejuice, New Family moves into fourteen minutes?
Speaker 1: What did you watch it on? Are you watching a different movie than me? Oh? You know what the issue was. I was watching it on my phone and it only tells me how much time is left. So I was doing the math as I was doing and I wasn't watching on two. Well, go ahead fucking check my math then, so moving forward, all of my math is wrong. O though, is sixteen minutes in?
Speaker 2: Then I didn't put his timestamp.
Speaker 1: I have everyone's timestamp because this it's a crisp, fucking moving movie. Yeah, no, I really is.
Speaker 2: They move in they first entered the house fourteen minutes.
Speaker 1: And while they can't see them, I do like the scares that Baldwin and Geena Davis.
Speaker 2: Do here that they're attempting to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like so when Geena Davis is hanging in the closet and then she pulls her face off, that was the time when I said, my son can't watch this. My four year old can't watch this.
Speaker 2: Nope, he'll have nightmares forever. Gou Here's here's a thought I had while watching this. And I hadn't quite considered this before, even though it was probably subconsciously there did Why not a Ryder in this movie mold the interests of a whole generation. I think Lydia Deets molded the way we or our desires. Like Lydia Deets walked, so Aubrey Plaza could run Aubrey Plaza is just Lydia Deets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, Winona Ryder recently talked about this of like and she's like, I don't want you to like think that I'm saying this, but like Lydia, the character I played was kind of like the original Emo that sure went in mainstream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's kind of what I'm talking And then you have a whole generation that kind of grew up on emo music in those types, and I think you could point back to her being one of the first examples of that.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. If you were to look at your house and you looked at the attic and you saw two unknown faces looking back at you, Yeah, how would you respond?
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be interesting. Because I don't really believe in the afterlife or ghosts or anything like that. I won't subscribe to that. So if I was, I would think they were real people, I suppose, right, Yeah, I would be. I would be. I would be a little perturbed. However, because our attic is a pull down, unlike yours with actual stairs, they would have a hard time coming down to attack me, So I would I think I'd be prepared because I'd have to drop through the hole. You're in a different spot there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like my first reaction wouldn't be let me go check the attic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually, like this attic has stairs, yours does as well, so you could up in a similar situation.
Speaker 1: Let me also ask you this, have you ever encountered ghosts?
Speaker 2: Once again, I don't believe in them, So therefore, I think you could interpret that as I've never had a supernatural experience.
Speaker 1: I as I say, have you ever encountered anything spooky?
Speaker 2: In your life, not like when I was a kid I had nightmares, but like once you learn about stuff in subscribe to some science, I think you're like, oh, yeah, ghosts don't exist.
Speaker 1: Two things. Number one, do you remember when I told you once that during a fever dream, I saw a horse face demon at the foot of my bed and you just went right past it without responding.
Speaker 2: I don't recall that, and I don't know how I would or should respond to that.
Speaker 1: It spoke to me in a in a vibrating It was very very odd. I did not care for it. I was very very spooked. And now also my wife is spooked because my son has an imaginary friend. Yeah, and she's convinced that it's a ghost. And I'm like, kids have imaginary friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never did. I don't know if my sister did. My younger brother did, though, I remember growing up he distinctly had an imaginary friend named Scoop, who they actually named. They got a family cat a couple of years ago, they named him Scoop. Homage to the imaginary friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What I did is so he told us about it, and that I'm I'm like, oh, can you describe him to us? And then he told my wife every last detail, and she was getting like really really creeped out, and I'm like, I'm gonna hide that Hugh Jackman thing somewhere and really fucking creeper all late. I'm just biding my time. I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have you know, you need to put it like halfway in the doorway to your kitchen. So now she's going to the bathroom, she catches a glimpse.
Speaker 1: What I'm thinking is that she usually does really early morning workouts on Friday mornings. Yeah, I'm thinking of doing it tomorrow morning in the kitchen. I was gonna put it in the closet so that when she opens the door, it falls out. But guys, can you help me out.
Speaker 2: I think halfway stock an eye out your kitchen doorframe would be perfect.
Speaker 1: Okay, what I'm gonna do tonight, I'm gonna hide the Hugh Jackman six Yeah, Brian, he's in a yells, you know, a scream. It's gonna be worth it, though, It's gonna be great. Go yes.
Speaker 2: Twenty four minutes into this movie, Lydia spots Adam and Barb up in the attic and they're confused because you're like, hold on, hold the fucking phone here. I thought we were invisible.
Speaker 1: Right, And then we get the beetlejuice commercial at that point, but then we go to the afterlife. And one thing that I do have an issue with is that Alec Baldwin draws a door on the bricks right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For some reason, when he is drawing the chalk on the top, when there is a very clear line to follow, he like goes way off the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a kickflip a christ air off of that que I'm annoyed that he draws straight lines and then it opens jagged with the bricks. It should just open straight where he drew.
Speaker 1: I think it's because they ran out of budget on that, and that's the reason why they had to have the jagged bricks fair enough. And also what's he doing drawing the door handle on the left side. I hated everything about his.
Speaker 2: Maybe where they were it made more sense to open like that. You're right, though, You're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is if they fixed the door, if they went in there and post and fixed the door.
Speaker 2: Forty Dog movie, forty Dog movie. Uh, I do like, how, what's the word, what's the word for not being scared, because that's what Lydia is in this movie.
Speaker 1: She approaches its son Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nonchalant. It's a good way of putting it. And so they go through the door. They're in the afterlife. I love the aesthetic in here. You see the shrink headed dude who I had a toy of when I was younger. I always remember that guy. It's like an iconic looking character. I do also like that the way they frame the afterlife is it's so backed up. It's this complex, like bureaucracy the way the real world is, and you have caseworkers.
Speaker 1: And it's like the DMV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's super funny way to just put that little spin on it. It just it really works for me.
Speaker 1: I also think we get maybe the funniest line of the movie is when Juno is talking to our deceased friends there and she says, oh, this house seems pretty quiet here. Good thing you didn't die in Italy smoked us because Italians are loud, loud people. It's it's a nice joke, real nice joke. I do question what is the dad's scheme here? What he wants to do is sell real estate and make it a ghost town. Is that what he's trying to make money.
Speaker 2: I want to make it like a Salem, Massachusetts type of type of place with you know, obviously that haunted house as the main attraction and then you have other stuff down below on that on that main drag.
Speaker 1: But I also hate how so he's a he's a big money making guy, but for some reason he's like asking other PEO's like, oh, this will make me money, right, this will make me money, right. You should have a little more confidence.
Speaker 2: I also still love the look when they're shooting scenes in the shrunken model town, Like I love the way, like when they're digging them up that you can see cardboard, Like, I love that aspect to it. It's a great touch on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Beatlejuice is finally introduced forty seven minutes in halfway through the movie. He is great. We have him lifting the dress and then he does the jerk off motion too, which is so funny. And then you know, my favorite line of the entire movie is nice fucking model.
Speaker 2: And then we get to the dinner party scene fifty three minutes in iconic what two three minutes of cinema, it's you've seen it in all sorts of shit, all sorts of montages, and I just love, like, I don't know how they stumbled upon it. Maybe you have a fun fact here, but I love that they use this jump in the line Harry Belafonte song. It's just for whatever reason, it just fucking fits with the ascetic of the movie and the scene.
Speaker 1: And then we get to Robert Goulay. I'm not sure that the original person was supposed to be here, but Robert goula Gulay.
Speaker 2: This might be the only movie I've seen Robert Goulay in.
Speaker 1: I had to check. I had to make sure it was Robert Goulay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if i've now that. You say that, you know? And yeah, because that Will ferrell sketch is a plus, one of the best he's ever done. Yeah, and I don't I don't know if I can recall another movie I've seen Robert Goulay.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a joking the Simpsons that when they opened a casino, Robert Goulay was supposed to go there, but Bart kidnapped him and brought him to his treehouse casino.
Speaker 2: Oh good, big note I had here. This really pissed me off. Yeah, Lydia seems like a pretty bright young girl. She's not scared of anything. She is terrible at charades, really has no idea what Beatlejuice is trying to describe, not a single fucking.
Speaker 1: And also, uh, you know, not to get too far into this either, but the whole suicide thing at the end, I thought that was a bit of moving quickly for her. Obviously we don't know what her entire backstory is, but from to go from like like wanting to be in the afterlife with the ghosts, I don't know, move pretty quick.
Speaker 2: And this is sort of it's really bizarre that it is PG She's essentially writing a suicide out there towards the end, like that is pretty heavy stuff.
Speaker 1: No, and that's where I could see a lot of people having an issue with this movie, is that there is a lot of suicide jokes. Yeah, for sure, with you know, someone with their accident that they say with the risks or you see the people hanging constantly.
Speaker 2: They take it a little too lightly for sure.
Speaker 1: And then just the iconic ending with the ghosts in their wedding outfits, Beetlejuice in the red tuxedo.
Speaker 2: And this is in That scene is also a big reason why they won the Academy Award because they do a great job looks on like the ghoulish frail makeup there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so once again, this movie's cool.
Speaker 2: It's it's again. I couldn't tell you the last time I had rewatched it. I really enjoyed watching it this time through. I don't remember when we discussed it for a nineteen ninety eight to eighty eight. I don't remember what I said about it, but man, I have fond memories of this movie, and they were only confirmed by this.
Speaker 1: Viewing Max that could be anything. It could be a boat and jumping off of little Olie, off of the movie of Beetlejuice. This was a very popular movie with children, and when you have a popular movie with children, you sell merch. Yeah, there were so many toys for this movie. They were made by Kenner, and like there's like three or four waves of figures that came with this. And because you're dealing with these afterlike characters, these ghoulish, creative characters, you could really do anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always again I remember distinctly having the toy of the guy with the struck in head. Of course I had a couple Beetlejuice in the in the black and white sort of prison attire nearly. I don't know if I had him in the wedding suit, but I love the look of that too. Like that, What I'm really hoping for is this second movie at the very least really nails that aesthetic. And I feel like getting Jenna Ortega number one as Lydia Ditz's daughter was a great move. She just plays into that for sure. I'm just really hoping it looks and feels like the first movie.
Speaker 1: The figure that definitely pops out to me is one that I definitely had was the Showtime Beetlejuice with Rotten Radler, and that is the one where it's this step right up, step right up, and he has the circus tent on his head with the bas I absolutely had that I probably had. This is Shipwrecked Beetle Juice. It looks like Marty McFly, but his Beetlejuice. That's odd.
Speaker 2: You were also, you were in a good spot too, because being that your brother.
Speaker 1: Was Yes, my brother had a bunch of these yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was that was definitely nice to be able to have those.
Speaker 1: Jumping off of that as well. Let me do a little a grind if you will. There was an animated show that ran for three years after this movie. It had ninety four episodes. I think you could watch full episodes on YouTube. It might be on shout, but this was a very fun animated show that made beetlejuice. It softened the edges, you know when he's like when he's horny and he's got like the spikes on him. They grinded those right off. They shaved those right off, and they made him more of a more of a circle than a square, if you will.
Speaker 2: I distinctly remember watching that show. I couldn't tell you one thing about the show.
Speaker 1: So he's more of a hero, and it's him helping people in the afterlife, and he's helped by his friend, his twelve year old friend, Lydia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's an interesting thing to think about too. This movie ends with that sand worm devouring him, and I wonder what type of introduction they do in the second No.
Speaker 1: So, yes, the sandworm eats them, but it ends. And they did this on purpose because the fans loved the character is they brought him back to that waiting room. That's right, and then yeah, he's grabbing the legs. Do you know whose legs those were? No, I forget the person's name, but it's Tim Burton's girlfriend at the time.
Speaker 2: Oh. I so think of the spookiest eighties woman and it was her. How long did him and h what's your face date for?
Speaker 1: Oh? I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: Ellatrix there they were together forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, this is it's a great movie. Guys, go check it out.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's if you haven't watched it in a while, it's it's a it's a I think, an easy recommendation because it holds up and it's quick, under ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: Also in your sack. Not to get too far into my personal life, but I live in a suburb of Boston.
Speaker 2: And uh, well, you live in Boston.
Speaker 1: I technically do, but it's not Boston Boston. I when I say that I'm from Boston, they're like, oh, are you really from Boston? I say where I'm from and they're like, it's not not really Boston. Whatever.
Speaker 2: You're like, You're like, if there's no traffic, you're like six minutes from downtown.
Speaker 1: Oh, I pretty much. I live on the Highway but coming up where I live is something called Allston Christmas where the students and everyone that are moving out of their apartments put all of their trash on the sidewalk for other people to take. Like say, if someone wants a soiled mattress, this is the time to get it.
Speaker 2: The only PSA I'll have here. I got this is for my eleven years in past control of ten years. Whatever I did, do not take any furniture out of the trash. It is probably the easiest way, especially in Austin Brighton, to bring bed bugs into your house. Stay away from that shit please.
Speaker 1: I would argue that I want this day canceled. I want I hate this day.
Speaker 2: It's it's no, it's not by choice. It's because the changeover of the apartments are nine to one, so you got to move out.
Speaker 1: You can do, you can plan.
Speaker 2: It's not by choice at all.
Speaker 1: You can plan. Be or when putting all of your garbage on the sidewalk. Mac, I live in a place that is just overtaken by rats.
Speaker 2: It's a bunch of people in their teams in twenties that number one can't afford storage places for in between, and number two don't give a fuck that. It's always until your neighborhood becomes gentrified. This is gonna happen.
Speaker 1: For uh, bring in more rats, then let the rats run free, let them do whatever they want. Then I'm dodging rats on a constant basis, every single day, every single night. I need to, and like, they don't bother me, so I don't bother them. They do bother me. They're fucking understanding. We have an understanding. But like I'm constantly like walking from my driveway to my back door and rats just cross right just right in front of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's that's just a nature of living in that neighborhood. You just you just hope they don't enter your domain and you take care of them on the outside.
Speaker 1: As long as they stay out of my house. Yeah, I will, for the most part leave them alone. But I will ask people to stop putting things out where they can live in.
Speaker 2: Or eat or agreed.
Speaker 1: But Austin Christmas is so cute. It's just such a cute day.
Speaker 2: Look at all the Google.
Speaker 1: This stuff you can take. It's all trash, yeah, garbage, it's.
Speaker 2: Bedbug ridden, it's gross. Don't touch it.
Speaker 1: All, right, Where can the people find you or me or us.
Speaker 2: You can invite us on Facebook and Instagram. Do I get that wrong? I'm all over the place Twitter, Instagram, at Mac and Goo podcast that is Mac shifts. No, I'm all over the fucking map here today Mac and Goo podcast on Twitter and Instagram. Every other platform were mac ampersan and Goo. That's mac Shift seven good. That includes Facebook, stitchrit tuning, and castwar Spare, Google Play, I are Radio. We're on Spotify, and more importantly we are on Apple Podcasts. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Goo t shirt from the folks over at Watertown Sports where Watertown Sports. We're on thirty four Modoborn Street in Watertown, Watertown Sports. We're dot I'm expert screenprinting a broider.
Speaker 1: Oh. We've gotten a bunch of reviews lately, and I'd like to thank everyone for doing that. We just got one very recently from the handle. Thank god, it's almost Friday. Five stars with the with the little caption there, Mac and Goo rock my socks off? Ryan's I like that? Hey, Alexa, play the Mac and Goo Movie Club on the iHeartRadio app. Did it start. Guys, if you're watching this on YouTube, give us a like, give us a subscribe, give us whatever else you do there you smash that subscribe button. Tell your friends about us too. We need to grow. We need more reviews because without reviews, we're just gonna die, ye and we'll end up summoning beetlejuice to then attack you.
Speaker 2: What would be your first haunt? If you had to haunt someone.
Speaker 1: I'd probably do it. I'd probably do one of my buddies. But that's a joke because I think it no funny.
Speaker 2: Method, not personal.
Speaker 1: Fuck.
Speaker 2: I think i'd start simple. I would I would uh open all of the kitchen cabinets.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: I'm smack it back and forth.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would stand on one side of the door and I would take a blow torch and I'd really heat the handle up so the person burns their hands.
Speaker 2: That's a good haunt, right, Yeah, that's a really funny.
Speaker 1: I would light someone's house on fire. Is that a good hot?
Speaker 2: Third degree? Burn them?
Speaker 1: Guys? Send us a post on X right now, How would you What would you do for your first haunt? All right, that'll do it. For this episode of Mac and Goo, check us out next week for Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice Tuesdays or Goose Days. I Abuse Kangaroos, Barton tam tam Burn. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's not for girls jumping on trampolines