Speaker 2: Thank you, John.
Speaker 1: It is six oh five here at Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas, Good morning, Kentucky. Anda going to be another hot one today, so be prepared. And the humidity is already thickest can be outside. We started the show this morning mentioning that, so this is still very new to me as far as starting my day as early as I do now with this being the new gig, But I don't remember in previous years where I would get up even much later than when I get up now, and it just be as humid as it is outside. So just be prepared for that, everybody. And again if you just this is just good tips to put out there. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but sometimes just replacing the filter in your in your system at home can go a long way, just because I would imagine just with how hot it is, there's a good chance that your your system is running more often than it typically does because again it's got to keep up with what you want to set it at.
Speaker 2: So anyways, be prepared for that. All right.
Speaker 1: We did get an update from Roriyo and Elim INBC News as far as the death total currently in Texas now over one hundred is the confirmed one four as of last night as the amount of people who have been killed with the flood that took place in the Guadalupe River in Texas, and there are still forty others missing as they're looking and trying to find what they hope would be those who've been able to survive, but that of course doesn't look doesn't look promising at this point, but.
Speaker 2: Just a tragic situation.
Speaker 1: I really can't put myself in the shoes of someone that was in that situation at that time. I mean, I don't even like to think about what I would do. But sometimes I just think it's the human instinct where you think, wow, this person had to take action and did it quickly, and they saved not only maybe their life, but they saved somebody else's life. I mean, I think we would like to think that if we were one, if we were trained professionals, and that's really what we signed up for. Like the Coast Card, the young twenty six year old gentleman who is a hero. His leadership with the Coastguard helps save I think it was one hundred and sixty five lives. So you know, it's one thing to know if you'd be able to be in that position, if you are someone in the service, but even look, if you're just I mean, if you're an average Joe and you end up realizing, Okay, I mean, I think we all hope that instincts would kick in, but you really just never know. But this story about a hero who did not survive is it's something for lack of a better word, So this is a twenty seven year old named Julian Ryan who saved his entire family from the rushing floodwaters after he punched out a glass window, but he ended up not surviving because of his heroic his heroic.
Speaker 3: Act, and the house got flooded. So in order to save his family, he broke a window to get him out, and while he was doing that, he cut off an artery and his arm. He got his family to safety, but unfortunately he he bled to death.
Speaker 2: It just started pouring in.
Speaker 3: We had to fight the door to get it closed. He had lost all of it, all all his blood.
Speaker 2: He looked at me and the kids and my mother in law and he's sorry, I'm not gonna make it.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, just a I mean a hero. He saved his family's life, but with him breaking the glass to to help get them out of out of harm's way, he ended up cutting that artery and he and man, I just just just the chilling that was his by the way, that was his fiance who you heard there at the at the end of the of the clip from CBS News, And I mean he knew and he did he wasn't going to make it. And I just trying to process that as I as I try to put myself and this is what I do oftentimes, I try to put myself on the shoes of others and try to just think, Man, I don't know how what I would do if that was me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, not only is he a hero, and he probably wasn't thinking. He clearly wasn't thinking about it self. He was thinking about what, you know, what he whatever he could do to try to save the lives of his of his family, and he did exactly that. But also that cost him his life. And it's not just what he did, I mean, think about what that would do to his family. I mean, obviously I'm sure they're they're fortunate to be alive, but what a tragic situation all the way around. So again this is uh, this is just it's awful again. I'm I'm I got some word vomit going on here. I'm spinning my wheels, as I say, sometimes because I'm not really sure how to how to discuss it other than just acknowledging that it is, in fact, just a tragic situation all the way around. All Right, we got an update of traviicking weather coming your way, Matt Melosovich. We'll get the latest with his forecast from w LK WHY. Bobby Ellis will tell us the latest when it comes to traffic. As I'm looking here at wk WHY, it looks like we do have some some some traffic early on here, so we'll get the latest on that. And then if you're somebody that is still trying to pay off student loans, which I've been there before, I get it. Uh, there's now some issues as far as knowing exactly what you owe. So that progress counter that was there for you for a while to kind of see the progress you're making to of course get your debt paid off for student loans. Right now, nobody seems to know where they stand, which could be an issue we'll talk about the latest on that in just a few minutes right here our news radioate forty whas. So those of you who have defaulted student loans, you could have your wages garnished. Yes, that's a real thing. And apparently there are millions of borrowers who have defaulted on student loans that this summer, at some point, the expectation is that they will start to have money taking out of their paycheck. It is six fifteen here at Kentucky and it's morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with me, John all On alongside today and of course Scott Fitzgerald, John Shannon alongside. We've got the full crew here. But when it comes to student loans, if you are somebody that has been made aware and you are thinking, oh, oh, I really need to get this taken care of, because I don't want my paycheck to start looking dinner because I've I've just let this linger and just assumed that I would maybe.
Speaker 2: Never have to pay it back. Whatever your situation is.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the first step in addressing something that you owe money on would be to you know, know exactly what you owe so you can see what maybe you can put together to at least catch up or maybe get it paid off completely. But the Department of Education had a way of keeping track of where student debtors were in their progress towards cancelation, and for some reason they've now temporarily removed what is I guess the progress counter within that portal. So this means there are borrow borrowers right now that have no idea where they stand on the progress they've made. And technically it is whoever you borrow money from, I feel like it's on them to also to let you know sort of where you stand. But also, you know, it is a little bit confusing here because there are certain It's not quite like, hey, you borrowed fifty bucks from your relative, and that's just what it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's interest, and there's.
Speaker 1: There's certain things you qualified to probably get some assistance on that debt that maybe others wouldn't qualify for.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just be prepared.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure there, I'm sure there are many that have an outstanding student loan that they just have come because there was a break on it. Right there was a time where you didn't have to pay on it during the pandemic. I don't remember how long that actually lasted, but that could have led to people just deciding they were gonna, you know, or maybe maybe times are just hard financially to where they don't have the ability and it's not a priority as far as paying their bills and whatnot. But yes, the US Department of Education resumed collections on defaulted federal student loans earlier this year in May, and wage garnishment notices will apparently be sent out to five point three defaulted five point three million defaulted borrow were starting later this summer, with collections likely to begin in the fall. So as of May fifth, twenty twenty five, about two hundred thousand borrowers received thirty day notices for the Treasury offset program. And that's another thing that is worth mentioning, is that there is a there's yeah, let's see it. So let me make sure I've got it correct here, But the how do they describe it? The Department of Education has a plan where you get it's the PSFL. It is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, which allows the government and nonprofit work government and nonprofit workers to have student loans forgiven after ten years of payments. So currently the changes in this in this program are that you could disqualify organizations from the eligibility if they engage in legal activities as determined by the Education Department Secretary. So if you are somebody that has violated immigration laws, you know you've got other I guess criminal situations going on, you could then maybe not qualify. But that's an example as to why it's not just like keeping. Not only would it be important to note how much you owe on student loans, but also it can be confusing because again, you may qualify for something that gives you assistance, you may qualify for something that makes it to where if you've been paying for ten years, then you're just you're good to go. But I will tell you this, what it with with the current economy, would it cost to go to college? If you just go straight up student loans and you don't have any assistance, you're not paying out of pocket? I mean, look, getting an education there's not only not only is that a good investment for a lot of people as far as just having a productive life with a good career, but also I think there's a lot of personal I mean I think graduating college is a big accomplishment that people should feel great about. But when it comes down to just thinking, like big picture projecting, which is hard to project the future, But is it a good investment to just go ahead and put yourself in a ton of debt for one year? Why you still try to figure it out? Because there's so many people that end up with a student loan for a year of college that they just thought, Okay, I got to go to college right now because high school's over, and they wasted not only a year, because they ended up realizing when they didn't need college as far as what they wanted to do, or maybe they got into a trade, whatever it may be, and not only did you waste a year, but like you put yourself in a lot of debt, I just think you'll see more PEP. Like I would not be shocked if the high school graduating class that just wrapped up high school, other than those of course that already have plans, but like if you were somebody that really didn't know what you wanted to do, it wouldn't shock me if you are thinking, okay, I'm actually going to take a year off, And some people say that just to buy time and enjoy life without having to go to school.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that'll be a factor as well.
Speaker 1: But another factor I think is going to be, Hey, before I sign up to put myself in all this debt, I don't have a clue what I want to do. I really do, I really want to go to college. Let me take a year or two to figure out which direction I want to go, and maybe by that point it's not as scary to put yourself in that amount of debt in this economy. All right, we got an update of traving weather coming your way. Bobby Ellis, we'll give you the latest on traffic. Matt Melosavich WK why, we'll tell us today's forecast. And we've got an other sports update coming your way with Scott Fitzgiald right here on news radio eight forty WHAS. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is six thirty five here Kentucky in this morning news with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at whas dot com. You can also listen live on the iHeartRadio apps. So the Crystal Rogers case continues as we now are expecting or expecting. I mean, let's see here, I want to make it how many days. I feel like this has gone on for a month. I could be wrong here. I believe yesterday was the eighth or ninth day, But closing arguments were heard yesterday and jurors are set to begin deliberating today, So that is the just as far as just the schedule here, but as far as yesterday and what we heard from and again we didn't hear it. And I know I've said this many times, but the no technology allowed in this trial is I guess not that uncommon for cases like this, but I feel as if I've got very good information. I feel like I've been caught up with every step of it. One because I'm interested, and I'm certainly looking and actively trying to get as much info as possible, just because one my job also the interest level. But those that are there covering it, they are probably I mean, if you're a young reporter working for one of these news stations, your coverage here is probably different than maybe anything you've ever done as far as just there's quite literally no technology allowed at all to where it's just you jotting down notes. But again those who've covered it. I feel like I've done a pretty good job. But again closing argument, closing arguments for yesterday, and prosecutor coming out strong saying Brooks howck In his accomplice here, I guess his co defend and I should say loss In that they're murderers, And they paint the picture essentially of how CAUs this calculated businessman who conveniently forgets his whereabouts July third, which was the night she went missing. And they also tied Joseph Lawson to the cover up, accusing him of moving Roger's car to hide the crown. These are all things that you knew about as far as the prosecution's claims, and I guess they're just reiterating that in closing arguments, and as you could expect, the defense, they're reiterating that these two are completely innocent loss In and how and they are emphasizing the case being built on shaky theories, no hard evidence, and continue, as they rightfully should, point out that there's no DNA or physical evidence that links these guys to her disappearance at all, despite decades a decade of searching. So I just think it's going to come down to the jury deciding are they are they willing to say, yes, we find these these two guilty despite their being no physical evidence. But there's just there's no way that all this is coincidence. And also there's I mean, I think some of the testimony, I mean, I guess you'd have to be someone that just assumes that that somebody under oath would lie. And and again I've never been on a jury before, probably never will certainly in a case this of this magnitude, just because these are rare. But if someone is testifying, and they are, they are providing testimony that is of course to benefit the prosecution. You know, maybe where you would think that maybe they are being untruth untruthful would be that they are cooperating because of a deal. They've got an incentive to say what the prosecution wants them to say, because with their testimony, they're they're avoiding further punishment for something they did. But if it's not somebody that's facing any kind of charge and they're testifying, what do they have to gain about about lying? Now again, if you're the defense, I'm sure you've got a prepared answer and saying, well, it's just because these people have been brainwashed because of all the coverage, all the media everything. You know, everybody these two are innocent, but there's no proof, and now people just assume.
Speaker 2: That these guys are guilty.
Speaker 1: So again, I've keep trying to put myself in the shoes of those that are that are on the jury, and that's impossible to do because it's not just what you know, the defense is saying and what the prosecution is saying, because again the coverage of it has provided great details, but how you say it.
Speaker 2: Can go a long way.
Speaker 1: And if you're in a court room, I mean again, lawyers are I mean that's what that's their job is to not only present facts and you know, present either. If you're somebody that's defending somebody that's up for a charge like this, not only are are you there to put together the best defense that you can, but you got to execute. You got to deliver that defense to a jury to where in which they hesitate to think if there's enough evidence to say, yes, we as a jury find this person guilty. But again, we'll find out soon enough. And I know this is probably one of the biggest cases, biggest trials we've had in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: In quite some time.
Speaker 1: As far as just national interest, due to the fact that this has been ten years, there have been countless TV shows that have featured all the true crime stuff out there, so we'll find out soon enough. All Right, it is six point forty here at news Radio eight forty whs. Let's get an update on the traffic out there in the Kentucky and area with Bobby Ellison. We'll get an update on Matt Melosovitch's forecast from Woky right here on news Radio A forty whas. It is six forty eight here Kentucky and is Morning News with Nick Coffee on NewsRadio eight forty whaa. If you are getting ready to head out of here via airline, you're gonna head to the airport and leave, I have some good news for you. I don't know if it's in effect just yet, but I did see somebody sharing yesterday that their experience was this isn't place as of now, but you will no longer have to take your shoes off to go through airport security. So I guess this is not every airport, but many airports will no longer require you to take your shoes off to go through the security checkpoint. So the TSA, they're quietly rolling out what is believed to be a big game changer as far as just speeding up the process because they're gonna let travelers keep their shoes on.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's here in Louisville, but there's many airports here, mostly the big market's Baltimore, Washington, Laguardy, Lax Philadelphia, Fort Lauderdale. So I don't know if it's happened just yet here at Louisville, but if so, I can imagine that we'll speed some things up. So it's just I mean, it's been two decades now since you've been required to take your shoes off at the airport when you go through, and it's due to Richard Reid, who in two thousand and six was labeled as the shoe bomber who attempted to blow up a plane with an explosive that was hidden inside of his shoes. But I mean, I think maybe I'm exaggerating here, but I feel like if that's not a process for anybody anymore to where you don't have to take your shoes off, even if they're sandals, not only I mean, I think that could speed up the security process substantially at the airport. And it's not that like everybody takes a long time to get their shoes off, but again, even I mean the amount of people that go through that line if you just trim off let's say five to ten seconds, which let me tell you, for me, with my kids and my daughter not wanting to ever take her shoes off, I mean, it was longer than that for us as far as just the added time to get through security, knowing that everybody's got to have their shoes off and they've got to be in one of those bins. So let's just say it's five to ten seconds that you are that you are saving. That goes a long way with the with just the overall process of how many people come through at that time.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Good news.
Speaker 1: I mean, Airport travel can be I mean I say it all the time. Airport's are the most helpless place in America, probably not just America, probably across the world.
Speaker 2: At times.
Speaker 1: You can have a good experience, you can have a terrible experience, and you really just never know. But if we no longer have to take our shoes off, I think that can only be a positive and it won't stink. I mean we've all been there, right, somebody that just you know, they didn't remember they were gonna have to take their shoes off in front of a bunch of people, and they stink. All right, we've got trapping in weather updates coming your way also, Scott, we'll come back with another sports update here in just four minutes, so stick with us right here, Kazuchiyana's morning news News.
Speaker 2: Ready to wait forty whas