Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Part my car up by the park which on a small slope, and I walked into the shop to pick up my lunch or whatever. And when I come out, traffic it's just chaos, like it was like gridlocked, bibbing all sorts, and I kind of just rounded the corner and some dickhead had parked on the mini roundabout across the Mini roundabout and blocked all of the cars coming past.
Speaker 1: Hark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the car was just stopped in the middle of the Mini roundabout, right, and I was walking. I was getting closer and it was like real like people are mounting the curb to try and get to work, like it's a busy little zone anyway, And then I realized it's my car. I don't think I put the handbrake con when I parked up and I'd walked to Sainsbury's, and like Herbie, the car must have been following me gradually going down the hill a couple of miles an hour. I've gone into Sainsbury's and it's just rolled into the middle of the Mini roundabout.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, it's followed you from the tennis club to Sainsbury's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a straight road.
Speaker 1: So the thing. So the thing drove itself and.
Speaker 2: It was locked, but it is in neutral and I didn't put the handbrake on, so I didn't notice. If I'd looked round as I'm walking, I would have seen the car following me, like just curb crawling next to me. Anyway, so I've gone into saintry I've not noticed. I've gone into Saintry's, I've come out and now I'm seeing it's my car. So I'm stuck in that awkward thing of what do I do. Do I call the police and just say someone stolen my car and they go, oh, we found it on the roundabout, or do I apologize and get in or what so? Anyway, I just thought, head down, do it. So I just put my head down, jumped in it and drove it off. No way, It's unreal, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous end up in the middle of the roundabout as well stopped.
Speaker 2: Well, luckily it must have got to the junction and no cars coming in. It's just slowly nudged itself into the middle of this roundabout and essentially blocked the roundabout in two directions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's quite a long wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know it's driven. Maybe five hundred meters, yeah, no, three hundred meters. I don't know what meter is. We've brexited now about two hundred and ninety two yards. I know exactly what that is. Yeah. Anyways, done that?
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't ready beat that. Good fun, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Good fun? Okay? Are you ready to podcast?
Speaker 1: I'm ready to podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's do podcasting out of our MAVs. We're going to talk about life as a tennis player, matches, driving, losses, wins, just communicating you with you through text. So it's just insane and I don't think people know about it. And I actually don't think a lot of people know what the French League is. Venus Williams, why bother? The problem with the Big two is now there's a Big one and brand new game show for the what you're talking about? Willis podcast? Schwank or wank. I'm very excited to premiere that. But anyway, Marcus Willis atp double Sensation, how are you man?
Speaker 1: I'm very well, Thank you. I'm still sensational.
Speaker 2: Yeah you got aren't you anyone else? It's weird you've got that. You insist on me calling you that that's so weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where are you? I mean Provence in France. I don't know if you call it as and Provence or Iron Provence. I'm guessing it's the second very nice part of the world, very nice part of the world.
Speaker 2: So what's going on there? Tournament wise?
Speaker 3: There is a one seven five, which is the highest challenge of there is. There's six in a year and they're between the thousands, So people losing the thousands the ATP thousands they can come and play these, so they're very strong. But yeah, great tournaments. This is what like the one I played in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: With Ray Ho Yeah, of course, of course. So who are you partnering up with?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: I am playing with Patrick Turhatch, big serving American guy. Yeah, last time we played together and made a two fifty fineal in Umac.
Speaker 1: Got a lot to live up to.
Speaker 2: I suppose tell us about Patrick.
Speaker 1: He's got an absolute missile of a surf.
Speaker 2: He like, like, how big, how when you're at the net? Are you ever scared it's going to hit you?
Speaker 3: No, I'm just watching the opponent and see if they guess the right way and if they don't. It's the funniest thing in the world. Watch them try and climb up the fence and try and get the serve bauck.
Speaker 1: It's quite funny.
Speaker 2: Like so give us an idea of what what makes it big? Is it the speed or the bounce.
Speaker 1: Or the both both he's got he's got high.
Speaker 3: I don't know how tall he is, six six nine or something, but yeah, he said, he sends it down. It's not like Peshi pericard pace, but it's it's quick and it's it's bouncing.
Speaker 1: So if he hits the wires, they're climbing up the side fence. A lot of the time. It's quite nice to play behind. And I'm not going to lie like you'll put a kicker in and the hitting back hands up here.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say it as the volleyer.
Speaker 1: Oh it's great joyous, right, Yeah, it's great fun.
Speaker 2: Because no one can swing on that, can they.
Speaker 3: Well, people can try and they might get They might connect with one, but on the odds of connecting with four in a game to break pretty low. I remember once we've played we lost the match, but we played in some marina with a love forty down because then there was one double and they connected with two returns or I mess one volley up and I remember being love forty going yeah, we're still going to probably hold here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we didn't. Yeah, they didn't hit another return in the court. So the boom boom, boom boom.
Speaker 2: What a weapon.
Speaker 1: So that's that's on the clay as well. So yeah, it's very rare. He gets broken even with me than that. So there we go.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, Patrick's about at the top of his game, isn't it. At a moment He's in his career high as sixty ish in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeap sixty three, want to say sixty three sixty four?
Speaker 2: And is he has he done that without a regular partner as well? Are you like to Grizzled who found each other?
Speaker 3: This year he's pretty much played with the same guy, I believe, Hidalgo Lefty. But yeah, I mean the last couple of years he's been playing with a bunch of different people and and yeah, I think he's got more regular part of this year.
Speaker 1: Hidelgo is very good player as well, So yeah, happy for him. He's a really nice dude as well.
Speaker 2: And yours your second American in.
Speaker 1: A row, exactly, USA.
Speaker 2: You must be fluent in American now sidewalks, trunks, jackass, Yeah, tomato.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tomato, Yeah, trunks and sidewalks are good. What's the other one?
Speaker 2: What's the most American thing he does? Does he does? He wear a hat that says wild Cats on it, high five you, and then.
Speaker 1: Go yeah, that's pretty chilled up.
Speaker 3: What's the most American thing he does?
Speaker 2: Peanut butter and jam. Muld say jelly obviously, because that's jelly and ice cream in my mind.
Speaker 3: I've never seen him eat PBJ, but I'll ask him later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I got a few things to ask him.
Speaker 3: I guess one, Dave as if you eat peanut butter and jam and I'll say, no, what while I eat that? Yeah, and then I'll say jelly, and I'll go, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. As soon as soon as I hear jelly and ice cream, obviously, wanting to speak to Jamie Murray to help us with the ATP doubles, jelly and ice cream would be one of the pairs in our British food pairings.
Speaker 1: Have I ever eaten jelly and ice cream together? I don't think I have.
Speaker 2: Wow, And just like that the podcast ended. It just went our separate ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I'll have to try it one though.
Speaker 2: Were you never a child at a party?
Speaker 3: I hate Jelly and I don't know if I hate it together. I mean I've taken a few ice creams down in my time. I'm not a massive Jelly fan, to be honest. Love to ask my parents. I don't trust the way it moves.
Speaker 2: No, no, of course not. Maybe it doesn't trust the way you move me. All right, no one does, so they just get onto Jelly. Okay, So back to the tennis. Will struggle through it. Before we get back to Jelly. I'll invent a quiz about Jelly in the next part. What is so what are you expecting from this? Because the standard in with Rayjo was really high, wasn't it just like the quality that draws high? But yeah, I mean you can play at that level. What's like the big differences and what's the difference in your expectations and the standard that you're going to face on court.
Speaker 1: I don't have any expectation anymore, honestly.
Speaker 3: It's now the times I thought we turned up in Umag last year we played the top seis who just won the previous week, and I thought I will be home by Wednesday wind up making the final. Other times I felt great in practice and then we go out there and have a howler. So I don't have any expectations. I just want to go and play well. But yeah, you say it's strong. I don't know who we're playing. It we don't find out to this evening. We could be playing ten am tomorrow. The draw's not done till three pm because you know in these events they wait for people to lose in Madrid to then inter here. And it's three pm today, so we'll find out, yeah, later late this evening who we're playing, and then when we're playing. But there's not some it's not an easy match here.
Speaker 2: Tell me just to shut up. Would you say you're in a bad run of form at the moment.
Speaker 1: I don't feel that, No, No.
Speaker 3: I feel like on paper, yeah, the last week wasn't great, but we were setting a break up in the first one, let them back in and second match.
Speaker 1: On paper it was a bit of a dusting.
Speaker 3: But you know, we had five break points, didn't break lost a couple of games from forty to fifteen, and then you know they say served us off the court a little bit. So I feel personally, like, my performances have been okay, not outstanding, but so not poor.
Speaker 1: So this was always, you know, likely to happen at some point this year. I've tried to play, you know, the strongest tournaments.
Speaker 3: I can five hundred qualities ATPs one seven fives, and I haven't got a regular partner yet, and that's you know, that's that's something I'm working on. But you know, you take a step up and play the stronger events, you can lose a few matches potentially, So that's the risk I take. And I'd much rather play play an event like this than lose and make it, you know, fine of a seventy five and you know, pick up fifty more points. But actually it's a bit more of a shock when you come to play these pairs. I want to be playing these pairs regularly, and that that's the advice I've been given. That's the advice I'm taking. In Yeah, I'm not too I'm not too down about it, to be honest. I've one two out of my last four matches. It's not the end of the world. Lost some good pairs, Yeah no, it's not. I mean I've had I remember I lost six or seven in a row at challenge at seventy five level a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: So it's.
Speaker 3: You know that, I suppose I'm having better problems now than I did last year or year before.
Speaker 2: As someone who's trying to get a little bit better is former Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, who's lost her tenth singles match in a row. I want to get your view of that after the break. Welcome back to that. What you're talking about Willis podcast with him? What are you talking about? Willis and me? Dave. Venus Williams Marcus lost her tenth singles match in a row at the Madrid Open. I'm reading this off the BBC website. She's the first former number one to lose ten matches in a row since the rankings were published first time in nineteen seventy five. We don't know this right because you don't know her. What on earth is she doing and why is she bothering?
Speaker 1: Oh, she might just enjoy playing. And I'm guessing some of these matches have been competitive.
Speaker 2: I mean she hasn't won. She hasn't won last July where she beat Peyton Sterns at the Washington Open.
Speaker 3: Okay, she's only played ten matches since, right, so she's not playing every week. I wonder, yeah, how much he's making an appearance through this tournament. What are we expecting as it just turn up and dust people after not being playing tennis for help.
Speaker 2: It's actually actually an interesting fact is that she's got a old card obviously for this. She came down from she came back from three love in a second set to but she's Williams basically had won six of her eight Grand Slam titles before her opponent was born. So it's I mean, it's a total generation clash, isn't it. This is like me getting a win now over Rod Labor. So what is god? I hope, I hope I would, but yeah, chances there So okay, So look, you've we can't speak for her, right and no doubt if she did load of press, she's going to be asked this all the time. Is there's just something that doesn't sit right with me watching somebody who was such a dominant world number one feeled that, you know, just so such a massive turning point for tennis when a young Venus came on the scene and obviously serena kind of surpassed her. I feel it's a bit tragic now watching her at forty five, just going into tournaments and losing. Who cares, it's her life.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of yeah, the second thing you said, really, I don't lose. I think it's cool he's still playing.
Speaker 3: I think the tournaments are obviously get giving her world has for a reason. She's obviously selling tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think she's getting She's not losing love and love is she She's competitive in these matches, so it's not like she's turning up a complete mismatch, getting smoked and then going home. She's obviously still competitive forty five. It's quite nice that someone's from that area still playing tennis and you can watch them sometimes. But obviously, yeah, it's she's not going to be the Venus Williams she was, and she is winning. I don't know, but it's one of those that it's like, it's pretty cool that she's around. She's obviously still playing to a relatively good standard, not obviously compared to how she was. But if she asked me to play mix at Wimbourne and what do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Answer?
Speaker 2: Right? What else are you doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Venus Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come and get me plea. There we go, Venus, that was it.
Speaker 3: No, no, But just an example, like if she asked any brit Or anyone to play a mixed doubles at a Slam, anyone snapping the hand off, it is Venus Williams.
Speaker 2: What do you think the you know, when you talk about appearance fees, I don't think a lot of the layman tennis watching public realize that tournaments, obviously Grand Slams and Masters are a little bit different in that lots of players are playing for lots of money there anyway, and they're so rankings based. There are a lot of tournaments like Queen's, I like Birmingham and so on who pay appearance fees to players, right so they can use their image to sell tickets to our good friends at Moy Shandon and American Express. So what do you think the kind of money she's getting to turn up to these tournaments?
Speaker 3: Like, it's it's the kind of thing that I'd say an answer and someone would laugh.
Speaker 1: Be like, oh no, it's way more than that, or it's not. It's impossible to work out.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much these guys are paid to play two fifties, five hundreds or stuff like that, but I'm guessing it.
Speaker 1: That makes it worthwhile for them.
Speaker 2: Part of that appearance fee will involve like going to a corporate lounge as well. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've heard some things that someone's paid it's.
Speaker 1: A five hundred.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, this guy was top ten in the world or top five even and he has plaid a million to turn up and play this event. Yeah yeah, but I don't know what that what that is now, so I'm guessing it won't be as much as that, But again I might not. I might be miles off it, but it's a it's a lot of money. If you're being paid to player tournament. It's not ten grand Hero's, it's six six figures at least I would. I would guess obviously my emails again missing I'm not getting appearance for to to play at these events. But yes, a very top elite players that their calendar. But they also know as singles, so you know what you're doing. But they also know in December until the next December exactly what they'll be playing. If their bodies are okay, well they're not going oh or should we lay here or there?
Speaker 1: It's this is our year. It's panned out.
Speaker 2: The other one that I wanted to talk about in just general tennis news is Carlos our Karaz out of the French Open, confirmed with a little wrist splint on Ala Cantona ninety four. Canton I had like a broken wrist for about a year in my mind. Yeah, men's tennis is rubbish now, isn't it because the big two has just become a big one.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean this is a problem with a big two.
Speaker 3: You know that they there's other good players obviously, but the ATP wants Center in our crass winning and they want this rivalry because we had Fenner and our Jock. It's moth for so long and then yeah, one of them gets injured and it's okay.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's interesting though, it's kind of yeah. I don't know. We'll have to see.
Speaker 3: But you got zvere Is licking his lips if he's in the other half of the drawer. He's in the final money most of the time, Center and our crafts are the only other beat him.
Speaker 2: Well, look, Djokovic beat Sinner a first set. Yeah, so Jokovic now doesn't have to beat both of them to win the Grand Slam at the French. And is he is this it now? Is he just just I mean, does he just need Sinner to you know, step on an upturned hair brush and rule himself out so he can get this elusive number? But are we kind of just clutch him for narrative? On what we kind of confirm is Sinner is just going to roll it. He's not going to drop a Set're just desperate for a narrative. I just need some story, give me some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll have to see you, won't we We've done our French over review anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course of course we have. Yeah, alchemy our cias outcras, wasn't it And if if you lovely listeners, if you just stay with the script. In an unbelievable twist, Alchiaz actually comes back to play the French. So what we're talking about that is nonsense because Marks and I have seen the script and that's based on what we're doing. The Naymursaka is the one. She is going to shock you at the French with what she is wearing. Folks, you can actually go to our YouTube channel this week because that video is being uploaded a full preview of the twenty twenty six French Open months before the tournament's even happened. All right, we're not like those other losers who wait for fact. Now, how excited are you about schwank or wank?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Very excited.
Speaker 3: Like it's been like while we've been talking, I have like a better part of my brainstory game.
Speaker 1: When's the swank or wank?
Speaker 2: It's after the break mate? Here it comes, okay too, Welcome back to what you're talking about. Willis one of the top three point eight million podcasts to be recorded this week. I'm Dave, but he is Marcus Willis, and we are now playing schwank or wank. Hello and welcome to schwank or wank. Eduardo schwank Is, also known as Schwanker, is a retired professional tennis player from Argentina. In twenty eleven, he reached the finals of the French Open Men's doubles and the US Open Mixed doubles. He was coached by Javier now Bandian, the brother of David Nalbandian. Mister schwank. Now, the way this game works is I'm going to read out the biography of a tennis player. Marcus, you have to say schwank if you believe that tennis player to be real, or you say wank if you believe that tennis player to be a fake. Profile Marcus, what's your name and where you're from?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: My Lam's Marcus and I'm from I was born in Slab but I live in warwicks Yere.
Speaker 2: Oh it's great to have you with us and I hope you have a lovely day.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping to win the prize so I could add to my train collection home.
Speaker 2: Oh that's excellent. So let's get tent for the first question of schwank or wank. This player is an Australian junior who made their IF debut in nineteen eighty seven. They were a decent prospect with a good serve, didn't make the grade and now coach at the Australian National Academy. Their name is Paul mctodger. Is that schwank or wank?
Speaker 1: W ah? That's wang.
Speaker 2: H correct question question two. A highly rated junior who played national level competitions and featured in a single IF futures vanitha dick shit that's Forntha dick shiited. Is that schwank?
Speaker 1: Oh my, that's schwank.
Speaker 2: That is schwank. Question three, and you're two for two. Now you're going to be on for the VHS collection of Russ Abbott's Madhouse. This is a former world number fifty six, an American player who is a steady eddy type, very hard to hit through. Katie Volley NEETs swank, I played there. That is schwank. Congratulations, you've just reached our first price. So you get the VHS collection of Russ Abbot's Madhouse on ITV between nineteen eighty five and nineteen eighty nine. This is a left handed Question four a left handed Philippine player who comes from French heritage and made the second round of two Futures events before retiring in nineteen ninety four. Pierre Boobies Whang, So your final answer, Marcus, a left Philippine player from French heritage.
Speaker 1: Second, boies my boobies.
Speaker 2: Okay, great question about boobies. We got a lot of podcasting before you ask me. Boobies is spelled b o U b y s boobies.
Speaker 1: I'll say shwank. Then here boobies. Yeah, Wang.
Speaker 2: It's Wang's.
Speaker 1: If it was boobies and carry them.
Speaker 2: Okay, now you're going to play for a sea redge Ford Grenada full leather interior. Maybe maybe Question five, I'm thinking of boobies. I've lost numbers. This is a four former world number sixty who retired in nineteen seventy nine. They did have a huge win against Jimmy Connors in the San Francisco Open. Good Ralph Felch, swang, it's wank.
Speaker 1: Oh you're good at this. It's a really hard.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you very much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Such an American name as well. Ralph Felch.
Speaker 2: Oh, hey, I'm Felch. Ralph Felch. Did you bet Jimmy Connors? No, I'm made up? Okay, yeah, me up. I don't I don't exist. Oh yeah, sorry about that. Now go and buy a gun bur down. Okay, all right, ready. Question seven. This is a Belgian player who specialized in doubles. Standing at a massive six foot eight Dick Norman rank big Dick. Yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, lefty, yep. Yeah, there's a few decks I'll know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah there is, yeah, but this one's just Norman. Dick Norman Okay, this one question eight. Now you are playing for a His and Hers teacup and tea set from Royal Dalton. This is for question eight. A former world number fifteen who won the Junior French Open as well as twelve WTA titles. Anna Smash Nova Smash anover.
Speaker 1: Wang. It's swank smashing over too good.
Speaker 2: Okay, ready, yep. Final question now this is for six point eight billion pounds.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: This is a Canadian Davis Cup stalk from the nineteen fifties who in one time won all three rubbers against the famous French Davis Cup team of the era. It's like the Musketeer era. I guess their name is stan by Me Darling by me is spelled b y m accent e stan by.
Speaker 1: Me Darling Darling. Oh machine, the chance for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great chance, isn't it, Marcus?
Speaker 1: He can't because he can't be cause to stand by me?
Speaker 2: Marcus, you've just won six point eight billion pounds. Stuff U a t P one seventy five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to know one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I hope you've had a lovely day with us, Marcus, and thanks so much for being part of the first ever swank or wang, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that a lot, especially Todger. Do you know that funny thing is there must be someone in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's definitely. I just thought in Australia when I made that up, I thought, in Australia there is a chance they don't call it a tadja. They don't have that, you know, like there could be somebody, you know, there's just never they didn't know what No, so I thought, there's a chance.
Speaker 1: You can do your surname anyway.
Speaker 2: No, if it's mctodga, embrace it. But it's not because he is made up. So they're all made up.
Speaker 1: Your made also made up.
Speaker 2: I'd like to and Ralphel. I don't think you guys have met now, we haven't made because we're both made up. Away fire.
Speaker 1: Stand, I'll see you out.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, all right, couple car.
Speaker 2: Who's that in the door? Boobies?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's call it a day. Well done, mate, what.
Speaker 1: Big jar for Ronco on trombone Sergeant Major Craig Frederick.
Speaker 3: On the trumpets and the composition The Army Blues
Speaker 1: M walked up down