Speaker 1: We're outside the travel Agency, a cannabis store that's got everyone buzz them.
Speaker 2: I walked it.
Speaker 3: I felt like I was in the elite of the skies, like I'm about to get elevated and lifted in the best way. Got the important essential things. I need sleep, So tinctures styles to relax my body, right the best New York Flowers.
Speaker 1: Come down to the travel Agency and see for yourself. Freeze only by adults age twenty one an older. Keep out of reach of children and pets. In case of accellent ingestion or over consumption, contact the National Poison Control Center. Consumer Responsibly.
Speaker 4: Okay, Round two. Name something that's not boring laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino Jump. That's right, Chumbuck Casino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 4: Chump Chumbucasino dot com plusters the conditions of the blue website retails.
Speaker 2: Lap Tabian.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to true murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them.
Speaker 7: Gasey Bundy Dahmer The Nightstalker BTK.
Speaker 6: Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 7: Good Evening. This episode of True Murder is brought to you by Audible, the world's leading name in digital audiobooks. On at nineteen eighty nine, in a lonely place off Florida's Interstate ninety five, fifty one year old Richard Mallory shuddered under the impact of four twenty two caliber slugs being pumped into him by a naked, hard faced, blonde hooker. While he suffered a slow, agonizing death, she stripped him of his valuables and drove his Cadillac back to the motel where her lesbian lover was waiting. In nineteen ninety her killing spree kicked into high gear, with three men slain in as many weeks. Of the six of her seven male victims whose bodies were found somewhere nude, all had been shot dead and robbed. In January nineteen ninety one, pawnshop records led to the rest of Aileen Carol Warnos, thirty five, a KA Lee. An abusive, alcoholic man hater with a murderous hair trigger temper. Wernos began prostituting herself at age twelve for cigarettes and beer. At fifteen, she bore an illegitimate child. At sixteen, she took to the highways as a hitchhiking hooker. In nineteen eighty six, with a lengthy rap sheet and prison term under her belt, she entered into a relationship with Tyra Moore twenty four. Tired of turning twenty dollars tricks, Warno's decided to rob her customers of everything they had, including their lives. Her rest in trial prompted a worldwide media frenzy. Ultimately, Warnos received six separate death sentences. Here is the definitive account of a killer who confounded the profiling experts, forever changing their concepts of the crimes of which a woman is capable. The book that we're featuring this evening is Lethal Intent, with my special guest, journalist and author Sue Russell. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for greeing this interview.
Speaker 2: Sue Russell, Hi, Dan, nice to speak to you again. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's been a long time. It's been a long time. Thank you very much, and congratulations on the new updated version of your book now available in ebook, published on demand, audio book and a new updated version, So congratulations on the release of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks, it was nice to have a chance to take another look at it and do a sort of update of the last decade because the last edition that I wrote came out just before her execution, so that wasn't in lethal intention till now, and the sort of legal dramas leading up to it weren't in the book either, and of course nor was the sort of legacy since her execution, So it was nice to have the opportunity to do an update, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's a was a ever evolving story, right and still to this day, a legacy lives on. So it's an incredible story that has has a life of its own, and thanks to now's get right into this for our international audience that isn't so familiar with the Aileen Warnos case and this story, let's go back to and really paint a portrait of who Aileen Warnos, because if anyone knows, based on the research that you've done over all these years and living with this story. Certainly you know who Aileen Warnos really was and where she really came from, So tell us starting with her father is very interesting the again the genetic background of this person and where he is and yees. So anyways, let's talk about Leo Pittman and let's let's go back to her father.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yes, well, Leo Pittman is Eileen's birth father, but she never met him. His parents, Diane Warnos and Leo Pittman, were separated before Eileen's birth, and in fact, Diane left Eileen and her brother Keith eighteen years age difference between them with the grandparents twice during the first two years of Eileen's life. So there was that abandonment thing going on. But meanwhile, Leo had a bit of a criminal bench, shall we say, and he really came undone as he should have done, of course, when he abducted a seven year old girl from outside of school, took her in his car, took her across state lines, raped her, drove her back, and left her outside the school. Sort of strange bit of courtesy there mixed in with a completely heinous crime. Very odd, but anyway, we're glad the little girl was taken back to the school, but she was and when she had to testify against her attacker, and when she saw him, she broke out him Weltz all over her skin. You know, it was just a very visceral reaction. So Leo Pittman was put away now like Eileen, who of course they didn't know each other, but he also committed a capital crime, because kidnapping and rape across state lines was a capital crime, probably still is. And so quite independently, these two people who never met committed capital offenses. I think that's pretty interesting, don't you, Dan, Yes.
Speaker 7: And then the other similarity, and that is a striking one and probably a telling one, is that Leo was also abandoned by his parents and raised by his grandparents as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, he had a rough he had a rough background. And you know, then just to return to Leah Pittman, I mean, ultimately he posed as pretended to be mentally ill at one point and got in a mental hospital. Then I think was back in prison. I do have the FBI records somewhere, and you know, and ultimately he killed himself in prison. So there came a point when even if Eileen had wanted to look him up, she couldn't have done because he took his own life. So that was, you know, a rocky start to any child's life. All that going on in the background, even though she may not have been aware of it, the waves in families, the emotional turmoil, the discord, and in the case of the grandparents that she was living with with her brother Keith, a lot of abuse there too, in terms of the grandfather would take her leather belt to Eileen, and there was a lot of verbal abuse, and both grandparents had alcohol issues, so it was, you know, it was not a happy home. But it was an odd home because the grandparents had two other children. Diane Warnoffs had siblings, Laurie, who be with my wife and mother and I met her when I was writing the book, and Barry brother who also got married, et cetera and had kids. But you know, the Laurie and Barry, well, Barry had kind of left home, but Laurie was still in the home when Eileen and Keith were brought into the home. So it was one of those odd family arrangements where they were known as the grandparents. Wouldn't sort of call them their children, but they were really their grandparents and Laurie called them her siblings, but she was really their aunt. If we can follow that, you're a better man than I am. It's a bit convoluted, isn't it. Sorry, I hope you can keep up with that. Yeah, so it was a dysfunctional household to say them. And you know, there's no question Dan that she was abused. For any child I think to be selling sex and charging for sex and charging a packet of cigarettes or thirty five cents for a sexual act at age eleven, you know, we can assume that there was sexual abuse in there somewhere. It's hard to know who was the perpetrator with Eileen because her stories changed on everything, just literally back and forth, back and forth. So at the end of the day, I can't tell you definitively you know who did abuse her, but there's no doubt in my mind that she was abused.
Speaker 7: Now, the interesting thing is that you talk about, you know, selling sex at a very very young age, but we're not talking about any kind of big aspirations like you say for a packet of cigarettes. And what I thought was just sad was the the nickname that you had or a cigarette pig. So you can see that this was all about, yes, you know, a desperate attempt to get some kind of attention. So she certainly wasn't the most popular girl. In fact, she was the one was left out of a lot of things. You tell a story about how at an early age she managed to arrange a party at the home and then the people came over to the party, but then kicked her out and let her stay in the backyard.
Speaker 2: So I know, I.
Speaker 7: Want bad stories like that, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of sad stories like that. And yes, to think the other kids, you know who, even those who were having sex with her called her cigarette pig, you know, and they wouldn't admit to one another that they were having sex with her, So it was yes, they wanted the sex, but they were ashamed to say they were having sex with her. And basically she was denigrated in every way, so very very sad, and she was very isolated. And she had this explosive temper which we've talked about before, Dan, which really hampered her ability to fit into life as other people do you know, she would just blow up out of nowhere, and others were afraid of her. They didn't want to be around her, they didn't want to be near her, and you never knew when she was going to fly off the handle about something. And one time there was a babysitting incident where she approached her sister Laurie, who was doing the babysitting, and held a kitchen knife to her throat. You know, this kind of thing meant that, of course people stayed away from her. They were afraid of what would happen if they got too involved with her. And you know, yes, she was scary, I think to even her own sister slash aunt.
Speaker 7: Now, her family life was horrible and living in the neighborhood wasn't much better in terms of getting any kind of respect. And I think, which is of course is obvious and very important to anyone, but especially alien Warno's attention and love and which she wasn't getting from her home. Had never met her father, so it was lacking in her family unit. What I thought was very interesting too, is part of the characteristic was that how promiscuous she really was at a young age. Again, you did the research, and so there was an account of a friend, the neighborhood friend, actually witnessing her having sex with her brother. So she had sex. She was very promiscuous and that will lead to you know, her decisions later in life as she gets a little bit older, she kind of turns around this sort of to at least it's to a certain degree. Anyway, the idea that you know, she is very promiscuous, very interested in sex, and is constantly negotiate at an early age, and I thought she was as interested.
Speaker 2: Don't you think she was as interested in the money as she was in the sex, Dan, I do, really. I think it was kind of currency for her. It was something she could offer that would either get her, she thought, companionships friendship, or be you know, buying beer, which was her other way to get the companionship and friendship. I don't know how much of it, especially you know at age eleven, twelve thirty, was for the sex for sex sake. I don't know how much of it was her actual sexual appetite. I honestly don't know, but I know that you know, she was desperate to be accepted, and you know, as you know, her peer pressure, et cetera, she was particularly vulnerable I think, to that kind of thing happening, and because she'd had some exposure to it in another environment, which as I've admitted to you, I simply do not know. I mean, at different times she cited and they the hood man and Elvis look alike, a truck driver who stopped over her grandfather, one of the neighborhood boys, and then she would go back and you know, she named her rapist as all these different people and kept changing her story. So I can't tell you who did it, but we know somebody did so by then, you know, she'd lost her virginity, and I think it was it was, you know, a way to engage with people in a way. To me, that was the feeling I was left with that as much as a sex drive, it had as much to do with this wish for money, which carried on through the rest of her life, because she saw it as a way of buying friends, you know, as you mentioned that very poignant. You know, she threw a party and then she was booted out of it herself, but she saw money as a way to try to improve her life. I think that makes sense.
Speaker 7: Well what I mean, I think I misspoke with the promiscuous promiscuity. It's really something like you said, that she had to offer. She really didn't have much to offer. Desperate to have a friend, to have a confidant, to have family and familydso.
Speaker 2: And actually she was desperate to have a boyfriend. I mean Mark Fern, one of the men I interviewed. You know, she was very very keen to have him as her boyfriend, you know, that kind of thing. And of course she never did have him as her boyfriend, and never did have any of those other boys as her boyfriend. And other local girls had boyfriends, so she was left out of that as well. If you look at it, I sort of liken it to a stack of dominoes, you know, you line them up and eventually there's so many of them that they just start tipping. And all these strikes against her. You know, she had a hearing problem and that was never really addressed. Her grandmother didn't take her to the doctor. And I don't know how much she struggled in school, but there's every reason to think she did. A teacher wrote in one school report, this child needs help. Now. That was ignored, but someone noticed that something was wrong. You know, there were just all these sort of opportunities that were missed, I suppose, and in a very dysfunctional family. And then of course when her brother Keith died of cancer at age twenty one. That was a terrible blow to her. Her grandmother died alcoholism, we think, but certainly she was, you know, a sort of closet alcoholic, it turned out, you know, certainly drinking heavily. But I think many around her have used the term alcoholic. And then the grandfather, you know, who took his own life ultimately, so you know, there's suicide around her, there's alcoholism. There's just nothing that is sort of life affirming. Really, let's take.
Speaker 7: It back just a little bit too. I think again, another really crucial time in her life. Not that all of these events don't have this definite negative impact, but as we mentioned in the introduction, that she had a child that I think fifteen years of age. Tell us what, you know, some back in the good old days, people didn't react so well, and maybe they don't react so well today. But what was the their you know, Laurie, and what was the grandparent's reaction to tell us about that?
Speaker 2: He was furious, and he was absolutely livid. She hid it quite well for quite a long time. Her sister recognized it first, and then you know, there was a confession to the grandmother. But Lowry was absolutely furious and she was packed off to an onword mother's home and she gave birth to the baby. And as for the grandfather's instructions, I understand that she was never allowed to hold the baby. It was taken away immediately. He was taken away. It was a boy and put out for adoption, and somewhere he's out there wondering, you know, probably completely unaware that his mother is Eileen Warnos. You know his birth mother is Eileen Warnos, because all those records are sealed. But Eileen then went home again and she everything escalated with the grandfather and he threw her out, and you know, she's pretty soon afterwards she was living in the woods. And that was the period in her life when her friend Dawn Bopkins, who came back into her life during the death row years, was a good friend to her and her only real close friend. I think so. But you know, she would sleep in cars, in people's driveways, in trailers, in people campus in people's driveways with permission, you know, or in the woods. And god, if you've been Commichigan in the winter where you're Canadian, you should know, you know, we're talking about some pretty miserable freezing conditions there. I don't know how she got through it all, and certain people did try to help her, but but you know what a life really yeah, and some of the.
Speaker 7: So sorry, so some of the people that she was According to Don Blakins, what were the kind of people and the kind of things that she was gravitating towards at that time when she was still young, still a teenager, living in the woods, living up from her wits, basically from the you know, the goodness of some people are giving her a shower, getting understanding her situation and feeling sorry for her. What did this grab it? What did she move towards in this time?
Speaker 2: Well? I think, you know, she was then irretrievably on the path to a life of prostitution. You know, she wasn't She didn't have the schooling, she didn't have the qualifications, she didn't have the grooming, she didn't have the social skills because of her other anger issues, et cetera to really enter the workforce. Didn't really have much of a chance, did she so a prostitution. I think maybe she could have got a job in a McDonald's or a Pizza Heart or something, you know, where she didn't need to be able to, you know, have a college degree or any of the other kind of loftier qualifications. She could have perhaps got that kind of job, But I personally feel she wouldn't have lasted very long because I can't see her dealing with the customers, you know, I think she'd have been throwing something at some boy pretty quickly. So what do we go back to? You know, what she started out with. She could always make a buck with the prostitution. It came at a high price. I'm sure she was raped multiple times. I don't, as you know, believe it was by those men on those days when she.
Speaker 4: Okay Brown two, name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire. Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for chumba casino to chum. That's right, chumbucasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chump chumbacasino dot com plusters the condition of the plus website retails.
Speaker 8: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting her steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino is all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright new day lot, actually a lot, So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: Nob necessary Dad wherever. By last terms, conditions eating pless.
Speaker 2: She robbed them and set out to rob them and ultimately murdered them. But I do believe she was rped multiple times, as many prostitutes are, and I think when she was young, this was probably a pretty productive financially for her. But by the time we get to the year of the murders, she was, you know, mid thirties, and that's getting older for a prostitute, I think, And you know, she'd led a hard life and it showed and it was getting harder for her. But in those early days, I think that that's probably what she fell back on. I don't know what else she could have done. Really. There was some talk of her going for a job interview or two. I tried to follow up with a company where she supposedly interviewed for a job, but they didn't have any records. It was too long ago, et cetera. I never actually came up with any job she'd actually ever held other than the prostitution and interviewing men who she'd been with, et cetera. So as far as I know, that was pretty much Yet. Now, Dawn always has said I didn't interview Dawn personally. But Dawn always has said that she didn't know Eileen was a prostitute when she was in school and was turning up with this money. She just knew she would disappear for a while and come back with money, and then they'd go buy beer or whatever. So she was secretive about it too, you know, so there was probably some shame around it. I'm sure.
Speaker 7: Now she is this again. We'll have to categorize this the way it characterizes us, the way it really is. She's a very small time prostitute. She's not what you might classify as a sex trade worker or an escort. And some of this is also characterized by other things that she racks up. This well, it's not it's petty crime. But a list of crimes over the years. We're talking about a young woman going into prostitution and then when the trouble hits or when the murder starts, she's in her mid thirties, like you say, so in this time she acquires this record, but it's it's categorized by her using aliases. So tell us a little bit about some of the things that she encounters police with, and tell us a little about all these aliases that she uses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, she stole her sister's ID. She stole an ID from someone called Susan Blakhovic, and she stole an ID from Tyreea's friend, Tyra's friend, Cammy Green, with whom they stayed when the two women first met. She took her ID and she would use their names, you know, all over the place, and this of course confused the issue for everybody. Initially, she would stay with people and she would steal from them. She stayed with Christian and church people. Several times they gave her a place to stay, and after she'd gone, things would be missing, you know, she'd taken them. But her encounters with the law tended to be I mean, other than a bit of sort of shoplifting as a teenager were pretty mine or often traffic related, having a fight on a bus with a driver, this kind of thing. The biggest incident and the one that put her behind bars for three and a half years, was when she and her then boyfriend had a fight and she thought they were going to break up, and she got up in the morning and she took a gun and she went off in her bikini in a you know, bone shaker car, and she bought a bunch of beer and got very drunk, and she went in and held up a little mini milet so armed robbery. You know, that's a serious crime. And the woman behind the counter was scared to death. And you can't blame her because somebody drunk waving a gun at you is you know, scary in many ways, let's face it. So that was her bigger fence, and that was where she got her real record. There was an incident somewhere along the way where she shot herself in the stomach, you know, suicide attempt of some kind. But she wasn't a big time criminal or anything. But she had a capacity for being right full of righteous indignation. You know, if the police stopped her for something, and she would give them false idea and everything else, but she'd be livid with them for having the goal to question her, etc. So she had you know, it was very interesting in a way that she didn't have a feeling of oh my god, you know I've got the wrong I've got somebody else's idea. They're going to catch me. No, no, there was none of that. It was I'm going to you know, get them fired from their jobs, and quite a bit of grandiosity, if you will, about her powers and potential impact on events that of course, was completely out of line with reality.
Speaker 7: So now she has a a marriage. So tell us a little bit about this short lived marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, the short lived marriage, and it was very short lived, was to a way older man. Gosh, I'm trying to remember now. Was he sixty seven or seventy six? I can't remember, but she was sixty seven. She Teith had died, and she was at a very vulnerable point. And he had some money, that's for sure, and you know, they did some nice outings and things, but it went sour rapidly. And her sister Laurie has said since that she's ashamed to say that when she was interviewed by the police, and they said, you know, Eileen said that Lewis Fell her husband beat her with a cane, but Louis Fell said that Eileen beat him with a cane. Laurie had said, you know that Eileen was telling the truth, but years later she admitted that, you know, she's ashamed to say that she liked She was just too embarrassed to admit that her sister had beaten an elderly man with a cane. But in fact it was Eileen who beat Lewis Fell with a cane. And you know, we're talking a few months here. That was it. They were apart, and it was just an odd, short lived event, probably not terribly meaningful in the overall scheme of things.
Speaker 7: Now, what I thought was important, too, is when you talked about when she thought that her boyfriend was going to leave, or that they were going to break up, it almost was like a violent trigger. She's already certainly a violent, prone to violent person anyway, But I think this will be important as we explain things later on in events with Tyrant as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, the idea.
Speaker 7: That if there's a threat of someone leaving, that that was very Again the fear of abandonment was very a strong issue with Ye.
Speaker 2: Both prosecution and defense psychologist. Psychiatric experts agreed that she had a borderline personality disorder. She was not mentally ill, she had a personality disorder, and they're notoriously difficult to correct, and borderline's biggest issue is fear of abandonment. And yes, so when that boyfriend who I did interview, by the way, he was a nice guy, he was very fun and he actually went and visited her in prison for quite a time. You know, he was a good guy in many ways. But yes, the thought of losing him. And this is why I've always debated the fact that you know, she was a lesbian. Dan and I think we talked about this before, because I met quite a number of men she'd had sex with of her own volition, with no money involved, and she liked being involved with men. I think that later the two women she got involved with, it was an emotional bond as much as a sexual bond. I think she did like sex with men. And I don't even know that i'd call her a man. Hated her myself. I've always said she sort of was an equal opportunity hater. She and others in the other characters would agree with that that she hated the world. She thought the world was out to get her, and she hated everybody at times, just those few trusted people. So yes, when she thought he was going to dump her, she freaked out, and of course ultimately destructed, you know, the relationship destructed. That doesn't sound right, destroyed the relationship herself by ending up in you know, So that drove the wedge between them. I don't know if they would have broken up or not. But she was difficult to be with. That man told me very difficult to be with, very volatile, mercurial mood swings, drama, etc. So I don't know how long it would have lasted. But he was quite loyal to her in many ways, and he did go visit her, and she looked forward to his visits. But meanwhile, she was writing letters to men through the personals and she'd lined up a couple of penpal guys that one of whom she went to when she was released from prison and stayed with for a while in another state. So she was an interesting character in many ways.
Speaker 7: So now tell us about the faithful meeting of Tyra Moore and tell us a little bit before we get to that meeting. I guess is who is Tyra Moore? Tell us a little bit about the background of her.
Speaker 2: Right well, tire more. She was a maid, I guess it would be that would be the term, a rather nice hotel in Daytona beach area. And you know, she did the laundry, she looked after the rooms. She she went to work, She held down a job. She liked to party, she liked to drink. She was a fun loving girl, and she she is fun. You know, she's an outgoing personality. She'd had an accident of some sort knocked her teeth out, and she got some insurance money for this, and she had the choice between having her teeth fixed or getting a ticket and moving to Florida. And she'd chosen to move from her home in Ohio to Florida. And she never did get those teeth fixed. So, but she had a very good friend in Cammy Green. She had another very good friend in Sandy Russell, who featured quite prominently in the book because they spent quite a lot of time around her, and certainly around Tyrea. And Tyrea, you know, was a loyal friend. She loved the children. She loved Cammy's children, they were happy having her live with them, etc. So she seemed quite sort of stable person until Eileen came into her life. But she certainly did like to drink and there was that side of her too, So when the two of them got together, it was a recipe for well, it didn't enhance Tyrea's career, let's put it that way, you know. But she was a feisty gowl and they were no question that she was as strong as Eileen, and that they used to wrestle apparently, and you know, they gave each gave as good as they got. And Tira had a fight with one of the managers at the hotel one time. But basically was looked back on as a good worker by people and a nice, nice young woman. So that was a backdrop to Tyra and a family of siblings up in Ohio who seemed quite close as best I could tell.
Speaker 7: So when she met Eileen, Eileen basically Eileen told her what about her career or would she herself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she told her that she was involved in a carpet cleaning steam cleaning business and she would go off apparently to work purportedly to this job to work with this service, this carpet cleaning service, and then she would go out on the highways. But you know, it became evident very quickly that something else was afoot, and Tira was an old fool. I mean, she knew, she knew, she knew. But there was this little bit of what should we say, a little bit of role playing early on, where that was how she presented herself as someone with a job. And she did have a relationship. Her only other relationship that I know of with another woman preceded Tyrie, and it was somebody who did have such a business. I don't believe she was involved in it. I don't believe at that time she was doing anything with that business. Maybe it was a story that felt natural to her because she had lived with someone working in that field. But yeah, so Tyree, she didn't want her hooking, she didn't want her going out, you know, and being in danger. But at the same time, she liked the spoils of her going out and coming back with the money. So it was one of those situations where somebody had to keep bringing the money in and Tira that she did have this job, and then she lost that job. But they moved around a lot, and they stayed in mobile homes. They lived a bit in the woods briefly themselves. They had you know, a room in a house. They motel rooms. They stayed with one of Tyree, yeah, which tyrants coworkers briefly for a while, who couldn't wait to get rid of them. And I said, you know, you're not coming back if you bring her with you, meaning Eileen, because there was so much sort of spy and screaming and shouting and she just couldn't take it. So I think her life got steadily more chaotic, let's put it that way. And the drinking. They would drink a case of beer together in an evening, so you know, that's not really conducive to holding down a job either. But Tyria did have jobs for periods of time. She did. But you know, they were both They liked to drink, and they liked to go to bars, and they like to shoot guns in the woods and really pretty much do what they wanted, you know, not disciplined, not disciplined life in any fashion.
Speaker 7: So at some point Aileen is basically the sole supporter. And when they do get their money, like you say, it's like a windfall, and so they go and they party, they drink a lot of beat, so a lot of money is going towards that and each place that they get to stay, which are mostly friends of Tyrea, they really do want to get rid of Aileen because of her odd, disrespectful, violent behavior. So but even though, like you depict in the book, and like you have mentioned through this whole interview, there really wasn't this again, in some people's mind, are stereotypical man and woman in this relationship, they were very much They were very much, very similar in a lot of ways, these two people, Tyria and Yeah, and certainly one wasn't a submissive personality. But in terms of Aileen, Eileen she saw this as at least in one aspect, that she wanted to be a supporter of her, her woman, her her significant partner, and provide for her, didn't she She did?
Speaker 2: And how much it with that and how much of it again was the fear of abandonment if she didn't come through with rent money or motel bill money or something. I don't know, but yeah, No, she definitely took on that role at various times. And I think that she knew that if she had no money, Tira was not going to stick around. I mean, I don't think that she would have stuck around if they'd have to live in the woods for any length of time. For example, even though there was a sort of laziness to the lifestyle and you know, very laid back compared to anyone who's ever held down a nine to five job and very unstructured lifestyle, I don't think that Tyria would have stuck around for that. I think the money was a critical element. And for Eileen, yes, she did want to look after her, I think, but she also did not want to lose her personally. I think not wanting to lose it was probably as strong as wanting to look after her. Or maybe they were just inextricably woven together.
Speaker 7: Now there are some I hate to skip along, but there are some incidents with Tyria's friends that are very very crucial till later on where Eileen, in her sort of crazy states, says some really again statements that will haunt her later. Please describe one of these events where she's talking about the Bonnie and Clyde idea that she's going to be famous and some want to be involved.
Speaker 2: When they were staying with Cammy Green. Cammy told me that one afternoon, Eileen said, you know, come join us, come join us, want in on this. We're going to be like Bonnie and Clyde. We're going to do something that no woman's ever done before. We're going to make a lot of money. And Camie said, is it legal? You know, what is it? What is this plan? And she was very wary because she was wary of Eileen period. And yes, she did have this desire for fame. She had a desire for some kind of gangster status if you will. Maybe gangster's not the right word, but Bonnie and Clyde, yes. And you know, there's also that incident where she approached a guy she wanted a book written about her, but this is pre the murders, prior to the murders, and told him, you know, I'm going to tell you some stuff that nobody knows about. And so I always say the murders we know of, because we really don't know that Richard Mallory was her first victim. She may have seen something and not participated in it in another era in her life when she was hanging out with some bikers or whatever. I don't know, but She definitely wanted fame, celebrity, and she knew the name of a couple of crime writers and she wanted them to write about her. All of this pre the murders, so you know what they were going to write. I'm not exactly sure, but her plan was always to be a hero to women, a Bonnie and Clyde type.
Speaker 8: You know, Lucky Land casino, asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky?
Speaker 8: In line of the Delhi, I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 4: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do in the car before my kids pta meeting? Really? Yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 8: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky Landsloughts dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 4: Are you feeling lucky? No, we're just necessary void my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of placy.
Speaker 1: Whats every details?
Speaker 4: Judy was boring?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 9: Then Judy discovered Jumpercasino dot com.
Speaker 2: It's my little escape.
Speaker 4: Now Judy is the life of the party.
Speaker 2: Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon whoa.
Speaker 4: Take it easy, Judy. The chump of life is for everybody.
Speaker 9: So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chump a casino dot com. No, we're just necessary weight.
Speaker 4: We're promitted by my eighteen plus terms and condition to play.
Speaker 3: What's every details?
Speaker 2: Hero in the ways that such characters become sort of heroic in it.
Speaker 7: Funny way Hollywood Hollywood win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in a Hollywood way. And I am I'm trying. I'm losing the word, but you know, not not fantastic, but fair, not fairytale, that's not the word, but in a yeah, exactly, And those characters appeal to her. Bonnie and Clyde was something that came up time and again that she had these visions of ending up like Bonnie and Clyde. Now, of course we know what happened to Bonnie and Clyde, and I have a feeling that was not what she, you know, had in mind for her future, but the same of them, the celebrity of the notoriety exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Now there's a point when Aleen starts you know, comes back to the hotel motel with a vehicle. And so the big question for a lot of people, and we won't get into this right at this moment, but with Tyria is how much did she know? We talked about how much did she know initially about what Alien did, and when she brings a car a car back, she gives some excuse like and Tyria knew that she didn't have friends that would just give her a vehicle to use, rent or otherwise. And that were other things that were there as well that Alien sold or used or at least that Tyria was aware of.
Speaker 2: And gave to Tyree. Unlike you know, the movies have portrayed the Tyria character as sort of this innocent Yes, she had the dead men's possessions, some of them, some were pawns, some were put in a little warehouse what do you call the storage unit that they rented. But yeah, she knew, she knew. I mean, when the police picked Tyria up, she had several items that belonged to victims in her possession. But that first time she came home, she said, ty I killed a man today. And ty was sort of disbelieving first, you know, but she did see the car outside, and she did see the goods that came in the house. And years later, or at least after the trial, she did admit to me, Taria, that I said, well, what were you thinking? You know, what was going through your mind? And she said, and it was really kind of stunning in a way to me. She said, well, I knew she was angry, and I knew she was angry at men, and I thought she'd got it out of her system. She did ultimately believe that she'd killed this man, and of course, you know, obviously she had killed a man that day that night, but she thought she'd got it out of her system, and she I think felt some regret as she should have done that. When the cars kept coming and news stories accelerated, and in one case they had a car for over a month, you know, she could have perhaps saved some lives if she'd opened her eyes a bit more and actually taken action, but she didn't. And you know, when we got to the end of the killing spree, right before the arrests, Tyria went up to her family in Ohio for Thanksgiving, and there was always this business of oh, I couldn't leave Aileen because I was afraid of her, But in reality, she didn't have to come back after Thanksgiving and she came back and there was another murder. So I don't buy that personally, that she was so afraid. That would have been her perfect opportunity to make the break, wouldn't it.
Speaker 7: Certainly? And I don't think the police believed that story either, but of course that's why they, you know, they forced her to wear a wire. So we're jumping together a little bit now, Yes, the what are the Well, let's start with Richard Mallory because because you describe it in great detail, and later she again has a defense in court that later we find out through your great book that there's a confession and it's and it's very very comforting to the families because it is a heinous allegation to deal with along with that their loved one was killed. So tell us about Richard Mallory and the again, what was maybe the first murder?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Richard Mallory he liked prostitutes, he liked sex, he liked pawn he liked you know, nightclubs. He was heading up to Daytona, I think for the weekend, and he'd already had a couple of women earlier that night at one of his haunts, and he started driving and he gave her a ride, and it was late and they bought some booze and they pulled into the woods, and according to Eileen, they sat talking for like five hours, drinking and talking. And then this is where it gets murky, because Eileen, initially, when she was arrested, said that she shot him because she thought he was going to rape her. She thought he wasn't going to pay her. He had given her the money he was going to but she thought he would take it back. Variations on that scene nothing at all like these stories. She came out with it a trial a year later, where he'd brutalized her, tied her to the steering wheel, she'd fought him off, killed him in an attempt to save her own life during a violent rate. Nothing like that now here, Dan. We have to look at the facts, and we have to look at the evidence. Richard Mallory was fully clothed, he was in the driver's seat the first bullet entered his I'm trying to think which side now, because I'm from England drive on the different side, and I'm not sure which side you drive on but okay, she was in the passenger seat, leaning across that chair seat, and the first bullet went into his arm and threw on into his chest. He jumped out of the car and tried to escape, obviously, and she ran around the front of the car and fired three more bullets into him. And it was, according to the medical examiner, a slow, agonizing death. So, you know, we're dealing with a man here who is fully closed and behind the behind the behind the wheel in his own car when he was killed, which is not the same as in the middle of her you know, her being tied to the steering wheel and him anally raping her and things that she later claimed at the trial. She also claimed, you know, she was bloodied and beaten and battered, but Tyra said there was not a mark on her that night, nor did she complain about having been attacked. So then we look at what she did next. If it was the first time she'd killed somebody, or even if it wasn't, she you know, you'd think she'd be so freaked out she would run, But no, she not only did she try to cover the body with bits of old carpet and twigs, but she turned inside out his pockets and she took his money, and then she made off with his car and his goods, and she buried some of his possessions in one spot, some in another, and you know, made a real attempt to cover up the evidence, as it were. So there's a big, big chasm here really between what has been popularized as what Eileen did and what you know has been put in movie. The facts don't bear that out. That's not how the bullets went in, not the scenario, you know. And if you've just been brutalized in such a fashion, I don't think you're going to lean down and you know, this dying man turn his pockets inside out and take his money and everything. You're just going to high tail it out of it. I would have thought, you know, But it was just such a vastly different account. So this is where it gets a bit tricky, because yes, the two of them were going to have sex, that was the original intention. But she enjoyed talking. He enjoyed talking to her, and he said, oh, you should be a psychologist or counselor you know, you're really a good listener. You're good at this. They had a nice time together, hanging out for hours and then suddenly. Now I've since talked for the new edition of Lethal Intent, I've since talked to a forensic psychiatrist and others who said, you know, what she thought was happening may have had nothing to do with what was actually happening between her and this man. It may have been something completely inside her own head, you know, more like a PTSD type experience. But in any event, you know, there was no brutal rape with that man that day. Yes, there was sex with the two victims who were found nude, no question, But there were other victims who were not found nude, and who I do believe there was a good chance gave her a lift. She was in shorts and a T shirt, hitch hiking on the freeway. She had a photograph of a family children that she would show them and say, look, these are my kids. They're in a motel. They're waiting for me to come back. They're hungry. Can you give me a ride? Now there are men who would say yes to that. And the thing is that we have seven dead men, six actually, because Peter Seines has never been found to this day, his body. She can't remember where she left it. But you know, where not only are they murder victims, but they are also labeled as rapists. And this was tremendously painful for the families, as you can imagine. So and with no evidence, by the way, to support that. I mean, we're talking about a woman who traveled with a bottle of wind decks, with her gun in her kill bag, and who said a killing day is much like any other day, and she cleaned down fingerprints. She was very methodical about it. She wanted to know how the police caught her. She thought she'd been very careful. So, you know, to see, these families have the double whammy of having their loved ones murdered without evidence. I'm not saying that none of them raped. He I can't know, Dan, but I do know we can't prove it and we don't know for sure, and there was no evidence of that. And some of them were shot in the back, the back of the head. You know, there was just nothing really supported any of that. So when she finally turned around before her execution, well you know, in that last year or two and said there was no self defense. You know, I didn't kill in self defense. The families did take some comfort in that. At least those who were still alive. As you can imagine, there was some comfort in that was a little too late, but not too late. It gave some comfort.
Speaker 7: How much of an important issue and when did this actually come up, because I don't remember it from the first edition, was that Richard Mallory, ironic twist, had a criminal record. And I hate to bring up anything that cast dispersions on this man that's deceased, but how futant to the defense is that he did have a criminal record for breaking enter an attempt to rape, well with intense to rape when he was younger.
Speaker 2: You actually said it correctly, Dan, which mostly almost overwhelmingly, it's not reported that way. He didn't rape anyone. It was an attempted rape. That is not to say that he wasn't intent upon raping someone. He was. He'd been watching this woman as he'd made his deliveries. She would be lying on the couch and he could see us through the window. And one day he went into the house and he went up to the bathroom and she was in the shower and she screamed, and I think he screamed too, and ran out. So that was the encounter, and he was sent to an institution. He was just shy of going into the army. He was nineteen years old, and he was institutionalized rather than incarcerated. I think you would say for four years or so. And of course, okay, so he's nineteen, so say mid twenties. So by the time we get to the murders, we've got twenty five years of no incidents, no records, no arrests, no nothing. So as far as the judge was concerned, it was all just too distant in time. Yes, it was an ironic twist. But I did talk to hookers who were with Richard Mallory, who knew Richard Mallory, and who said he'd never been violent, he had some problems. He was about to go into the army, and you know, maybe he had some kind of sexual addiction thing going on. I don't know. I don't know. He was an acne ridden youth at the time, and it's hard to know. But yes, he did indeed break into this woman's home. I don't know if the door was locked, but let's say that it was. He broke in, and he did go upstairs, and his intent was to have sex with her. So there's no denying that, but the only thing you can say is that, well, what can you say, Dan, I don't know really, but that's I mean. I did get the records of the time he served and where he served it, and there was one incident while he was in there where I think he raised his hand to one of the prison guards, a female, something that got him a bit of extra time. But anyway, legally speaking, it was just too distant in time to be considered as a mitigating factorer. You know that the defense, the defense that you know, could used to say anything. I'm sorry, as Dan knows, I'm suffering a bit under a cold here, so I'm trying to think clearly, no and everything.
Speaker 7: Is why I just made that point was the how much defense could use that to their advantage, even though again the judge had the good sense to say and and even I would say, okay, that it makes no sense given the evidence of absolutely no self defense and no evidence of any attempted rape or rape with Aileen, and given her given her confession, and given her confession, and so really there we have to say that. You know, I didn't bring it up to cloud the issue at all.
Speaker 2: It's just a question. He's not like all the other men. You know, he was a He did go to the topless bars, and he did go hang out in that side of town. I mean, that was his lifestyle. But I didn't find any other evidence of any violence against women or you know, hear any complaints of violenced against women, or find any complaints of violenced against women. Now, what happened was that some of this was known about the fact that he had something in his past. But because back then between the states, it was not all computerized and interconnected as things are much more today, the defense didn't have the full file I don't believe at the time of the trial, and that was why Dateline was able to come out later and say, guess what this guy had? You know this in his past. Something was known. I guess he told his girlfriend Jackie, who took the stand at one point and as she I can't remember now if it was in front of the jury or not, but it did come up that he had something in his background, but the full details of it emerged after the trial.
Speaker 7: Right, So now we we have some time if you can still accommodate our audience, because we're nowhere near getting to some of the story. We won't go through all of it. We got to leave something for the people to enjoy in the reading. But there are so many There is such a cast of characters once the trial occurs, and then afterwards, we've got we've got defense lawyers, We've got born again Christians adopting alien Warnos, Arlene Prell. We have an actress who wants to make a movie and ends up involved. So it was a real super media circus. So tell us a little bit about the trial and the media and the world's attention on this what they really deemed her the America's first serial killer. Tell us about the media circus.
Speaker 2: Well, her trial was that in a small courtroom in DeLand, Florida. And I was there every day, and there were local news people, and there were the visiting producers from Dateline, et cetera. Who would you know, come in for a day or two. Documentarian would come in for a day or two. But really the reporters were Florida people, and I know because I sat with them every day. And it wasn't as much of a media circus in that little town as you would have imagined. Somehow, it really or maybe as I've seen in other cases, let's put it that way. I mean, it was, it was a big case. But I think the whole thing of first female serial killer, I mean, yes, there've been women who've killed multiple times. I think the whole label thing, you know, really sprang from the fact that she killed in male fashion, I killing strangers in different locations with a cooling off period in between, which at the time was the FBI's part of the FBI's definition of a serial killer. And women, as you know, don't tend to kill that way. They tend to kill people in their care. They tend to kill husbands for insurance money, to poison them, and there's all kinds of other ways that they kill. But to kill three people on different occasions in different locations, it was kind of a shock at the time. And that was really why the case sort of captured the imagination of so many and including myself, I must add, because that was why I was so fascinated to learn what made Eileen tick, and that was why I decided to cover the trial and write a book. And that was nineteen ninety nineteen ninety one, I'll.
Speaker 4: Tell you one.
Speaker 7: And so this is, of course the death penalty in Florida is a little quicker. But tell us about the fight for the state to execute her and Eileen fight to be executed.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you know, they went through all the regular appeals, but Eileen had said very early on that she wanted her execution carried out. She was shocked to be convicted. She didn't make enter a plea. She pled no contest to murders two, three, four, and by then she'd kind of given up. She wasn't fighting it. She wanted to be executed, and she kept that thread going through very much through the ten years. However, when all the appeals, you know, the appeals that are automatic of course, whether she wanted them or not, took place. And then when it came time where she'd run out of those options, it became an issue of do you really want it carried out, Eileen, you know, because it's one thing to say it, but you have to waive your rights to further appeals. At a certain point, you can't kind of keep changing your mind. And so she did ask us some extra time, she wanted to think about it further. But then she came back and yes, she did want She'd made up her mind. She wanted to go be with God, and that was her decision. Now, volunteers for execution are very rare. I've forgotten the number of volunteers in the last twenty years in the US, but very small number. And I talked to someone who'd done a study of people who volunteer, and one common thread with them was often a Christian person in their lives, or an influence in their lives where they had in their minds through their own belief or believes that became sort of instilled over time through other people influencing them that they were going to go be with God. Now, for Eileen, she had to tell the truth and had to get right with God before she could take that step that was in her mind necessary to get into heaven, which of course is where she wanted to be. So, you know, there are those volunteers, and then there are some who volunteer because they are suicidal, and there are some who say that they are mentally ill, and some who say they're not mentally ill and basically try to gain the system, as it were. If they've made up their minds they want to have their execution carried out, they've got to fight against all the Bianca jaggers of this world and the anti death penalty protesters who come out in force. And Ileen was very annoyed when those people rose up and said, you can't execute this woman. She's mentally ill. She was furious. She wasn't mentally ill. You know, she never thought of herself as mentally ill. You could guarantee to anger her if you called her mentally ill or mad or crazy. Those words would drive her crazy.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: So she didn't want them interfering. She didn't want the lawyer that the court pointed to her during that phase, and she continued having problems with the jail. They appointed a lawyer to represent her in her claims that her food was being tampered with, et cetera, et cetera. But again, you know, as one of the experts pointed out to me, you know, if you talk to a banker and he says someone spat in his food in the canteen, you know you have to sort of think, Okay, is this guy paranoid or is he sane, etc. But when it's in prison, people do spit in food, and they do much worse, as he said, so it's you know, it's not a sign of any insanity to make such claims. So she did make those claims, and so there was a separate issue going on with her complaints about various warders who she felt added in for her, and that they were going to rape her before she was executed, and other things. She also believed, as did Dawn, who was her close confidante during those years before the execution, that the police had not arrested her as early as they could, That they knew who she was long before, but they didn't her because they wanted to wait because the more people she killed, the more money they would get from selling their story, which of course is ludicrous because Dan, if you know anything about the way the police operate, as you do, and I do you know, we're talking I think five counties here, to have a conspiracy between the police in five counties that they were going to not arrest a known serial killer. I mean all of the cops wanted to find and wanted to arrest her. So it's a ludicrous claim, but she did, you know. That was one of her ongoing issues, was she killed as many people as she did because they didn't want to stop her because it would have made more money for them, made a better movie, made a better whatever, you know, So she did have some she did have some distorted thinking, there's no question about it. Insane, no, but distorted thinking, yes for sure. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: She has quite a few traits of the psychopathic personality pathology as well. And you know, in terms of well, we know those symptoms are characteristiccess. How much was Arlene Prail an influence in having Eileen come to God and make this very very important confession, which was very important for the sake of what was the truth in this story? But also, like you said, you mentioned in the book, and this is very strong reaction I had when the families got that little semblance of not closure, but little semblance of peace in that she had confessants that it was not self defense and that their loved ones were not rapists, right.
Speaker 2: Right, And as I know put in the book, she killed and you mentioned she killed three men in as many weeks at one point when she thought Ty was going to leave her because her sister was visiting, and you know, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the precipitating factor when she would decide, Okay, I've got to go off and I need the money, and I'm not going to she said herself, I'm not going to I wasn't going to leave any witnesses, you know. So she wanted the money. She identified the fact they'd got money, and she killed them. And that was you know, she was a robber who killed So.
Speaker 7: What was the question, Well, I was talking about the role of Arlene Prale and that, yes, she was a boy against person had adopted her. Yeah, and that was you know, I thought that she was a very very important figure in the inevitable, well not inevitable, the end outcome of what happened in terms of those confessions. And I thought that, and I thought that we've passed over this aspect that the police had forced. Well, Tyria didn't have much of a choice, but she was wired and basically confessions from Eileen, and Eileen knew that she was being recorded, and so tell us, I mean not to say there's any there's too many redeeming aspects of Eileen Werno's but what does she do, what does she attempt to do for Tyrea?
Speaker 2: Well, Tyrea says, I'm not going down for crimes that you committed and that I had nothing to do with. And Eileen said, I'm not going to let that happen to you, which is why she is such a such a fascinating character. She did confess to get Tyree off the hook to make it plain that only one person had committed these crimes, and the police knew this in at least several instances because Tyrea had alibis. You know, she was working, I think with one, she was out of state in another. Whatever, she had alibis for several and they really didn't think she was along on the murders, but certainly they were able to use that to their advantage. And just to address the Christian thing, Aileen had always had this streak in her she'd you know, of reading the Bible. I think I mentioned she stayed with some Christian people a couple of times, and one place where they put a roof over her head and then she walked out and took belongings from them, et cetera. But she she came to religion back and forth. So I think Arlene probably was a catalyst and it was what Aileen needed at that time, but she wasn't the She didn't take her from being you know, an eight is to a Christian. For example, there was always that fight to Eileen that was interested in religion and God and believed I think so, but of course Arlene really strengthened that. And one of the messages she hammered home was you have to tell the truth.
Speaker 9: You have to.
Speaker 2: Confess to what you actually did and get right with God, and then you know He'll be ready for you and you'll go where you want to go.
Speaker 7: What I thought was very interesting too. And I just read this in your updated version, and those lucky enough to get this new version will read this little gem as well as that. It's not well known at all. Of course, probably only in your book is this revealed that Tyreea and Eileen were in contact after the death pannel In while she was incarcerated, and even that Eileen had given her a thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: And I thought, yes, that's pretty interesting, wasn't it. See I've always said that money was important to Eileen, and there's another example of it. And when the television shows paid ten thousand dollars or whatever, she would say, who's going to get how much money? There was a little bit of a power trip that went with that. You know, she allocated and more money went to Dawn Botkins say than to Arlin Praley, who had traveled back and forth, back and forth, who had taken I know, having taken collect calls from death row that they're darned expensive and they can only call collect. You know, she'd spent a lot of money and she got twenty five hundred dollars out of one payment and I think Dawn was supposed to get four or whatever. But yes, that was interesting to find out. And the fact that the filmmaker Jacqueline Jeru told me that she had set up this po box for them to write to one another. I was pretty surprised, I have to say, you know, that took me aback and that was when I was writing the update, just you know, the end of last year. So yes, what a turn up for the book. They I would like to know what else was said between them, And it's very interesting that Eileen would send her money, but that came out of a letter between Eileen and Dawn. I think if I remember correctly that bit of information about the thousand.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, we'll be lieve for the readers of this of Lethal Intent will be the conversation some of the again that the Donna, her childhood friend Donna is Yes, She's is the person that was with Eileen the evening before her execution. That's correct, all the people to speak with her, and so we'll leave it for the reader to discover what you have found speaking with Dawn about that evening and what transports.
Speaker 2: I did not speak to Dawn, but she was she talked to the press after the execution. Yeah, but I did speak to Troy Burris's sister right the day before the execution, and after she witnessed it, she came out and she we spoke on the phone that afternoon, so you know, I had an inside story from that point of view. But I didn't speak to Dawn. Just to have to set the record straight on that. Yes, yes, I hope the reader enjoys it.
Speaker 7: Amazing again that the twist and turns in this. I know that's a cliche that twists and turns, but I mean this is a story that just kept growing and growing and just an amazing again depiction of this person, this very very complicated person. And you end up in the end almost feeling sorry for her to a certain degree. Yeah, and yet like many people, they say, yes, well, you know, we felt for her. She certainly was an abused person certainly had a rough life. However, she really did deserve what she got.
Speaker 2: You know, she was a victim, but she was a victimizer. And it was very emotionally draining and confusing writing the book, I have to say, you know, because of the mixed emotions that came up with obviously tremendous empathy for everything she went through as a kid. It was heartbreaking all of that, and heartbreaking to do the interviews and to write about it and to make the discoveries. But then, you know, it was also heartbreaking to get to know those families and get to know what they went through and what happened to those loved ones, and what kind of men some of them were, you know. So yeah, it was an interesting journey, and you're right, you know, she did have those sociopathic traits in her and stealing with nothing and using somebody else's identification was nothing, and taking some things from people who were good enough to give her a place to stay with nothing. And yet when the chips were down, she stepped up and told the police so that Ty wouldn't be in trouble. I did it, I did it alone. I killed these men, And so it's you know, it's an unusual story in that regard, isn't it, Because usually, you know, people if they're sociopathic or worse psychopathic, you know, they go all the way with that. But Eileen sort of had these acts that would just throw you off course, just when you were thinking she was one thing, she would do something that showed a different side of her.
Speaker 7: Well, she certainly deserves the attention that she has received all these years, the attention that she so desperately craved. In the end, she did achieve it, like you say, she sort of enjoyed it, it seemed, and some of the people in the book would say that that she probably would do it all over again for that little bit of attention that she did get and she reveled in and again, in her misguided world, she thought at one time that she would be considered a hero for what she did. Again, very very misguided person, yes, But certainly she has caught the attention of people throughout the world. And this is why this story is still enduring. And of course it helps with such a great book like Lethal Intent to really really talk about and really explore like I said, we had just an hour, an hour really just touches on the entire story, especially because you've covered the victims' families because it was such a uh it's it's such a heartbreaking story from their aspect and their positions, and so you have access all that information.
Speaker 2: And you know what we didn't talk about, Dan, which is that I just signed a contract with Audible, and all right, I didn't want you to.
Speaker 7: Know that are excited. We're excited. Well, I'm excited to have Audible, as you know, sponsoring the program as well, because you know, with the advent of published on demand, which again not that long ago, was not a possibility, So people throughout the world have access to the book where certainly it wasn't shipped everywhere in the world with the conventional postal service. So that's on demand now ebooks and if somebody is really you know, has a spur of the moment idea, well there it's available to them immediately. Now Audible paves the way with downloadable audiobooks, and so congratulations on this book being available for everyone, even the experience. And I don't know if people have experienced audiobooks, but I have in the past, and now I just think it's great that you can get them downloadable even more affordable, and Audible has like one hundred and fifty thousand titles, so it's just amazing. So congratulations not having lethal intent.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I don't know when it'll be quite a waste. I have a feeling it can take someone a long time to read that book into a microphone, but I am very excited about it.
Speaker 7: Yes, Well, they really have some impressive narrators as well, so I'm very excited to, you know, listen to the audiobook version myself, because it really does bring another dimension to I mean, you're not reading it a book, you're reading it paperback. You're reading it. But it's for those people that you know. I have a big fan named Louise, and she drives truck and she listens to my programs on mobile devices and wiles away the time. And a lot of people are actually accessing this through their iPhones and other androids. So it's great for those people that are tied up but really want to maximize their entertainment time and listen to a great book like ethal Intent so on audiobooks so and.
Speaker 2: Vision problems of course, it's perfect too. And I have someone close to me who has a vision problem and couldn't read the book. So from that point of view, you know, I'm excited about that too, that it will be available for someone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think that's that was the first intent of the audiobook. I think initially that was one of their big markets was that, and then I surprisingly a lot of people just seem to want to enjoy it, you know. But you know, if you start sending audiobooks via the postal service, I used to see you know, one hundred hundred and fifty dollars box sets of audiobooks, so it becomes a little bit prohibitive when it gets you know, that costly. What I want to say about Audible too, is that for people that don't know ab Audible is the biggest provider of radio and television programs and also audio versions of magazines and newspapers. So really they are you know, I didn't know that until I just looked at it myself, and again it's it's right. Another I think I think Audible is going to be able to provide people, I think, an experience that they're they're just not accustomed to. And I just wanted to mention too, that they have a thirty day free trial right now, and you can get the audiobook that you desire just by signing up for that thirty day trial. So that's my big plug for Audible, and I'm glad we could work that into the conversation with Eal Intent being finally offered as an audiobook with Audible.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, thanks do.
Speaker 7: I want to thank you very much for this interview and and thank you coming back on. You were one of the first authors that were gracious enough to come on to my little radio program. And now this radio program has got millions of listeners and diehard dedicated fans. When I put up a posting about Lethal Intent, it was all kinds of people were looking forward to it. A lot of people said they were in, you know, just withdrawal from not listening to program. And so I want to thank you for ushering in the new year, the fifth year of True Murder, with coming on and talking about your great book, Lethal Intent.
Speaker 2: So thank you very much and congratulations to you five years. That's great, Dan, well done.
Speaker 7: Well it's authors like yourself.
Speaker 2: Mhm. Thanks well anyway, thank you any time. Okay, my dear, thank.
Speaker 7: You, Okay, thank you, have a greeting. Thank you very much to
Speaker 2: Take care and bye